面纱 The Painted Veil

上映日期: 2,006

语言: 英语 / 汉语普通话 / 法语

影片类型: 剧情 / 爱情

导演: 约翰·卡兰

演员: 爱德华·诺顿 / 娜奥米·沃茨 / 托比·琼斯 / 黛安娜·里格 / 黄秋生 / 列维·施瑞博尔 / 朱丽叶·霍兰德 / 艾伦·戴维 / 露西·弗勒 / 玛姬·斯蒂德 / 佐伊·特尔福德 / 夏雨 /


台词
本字幕由YYeTs人人影视修正制作最新最快的HR-HDTV 请登陆 www.YYeTs.net
字幕合成: Ryan_t 后期: Ryan_t
面纱
Hello. Hello.
你好 你好
Say, I was wondering...
我 我在想
What?
什么
Sorry. I was wondering if you'd like to dance.
我在想您是否愿意赏光陪我跳支舞
Why not?
为什么不呢?
Kitty, who was the young man you were dancing with last night?
吉蒂 昨晚和你跳舞的年轻男士是谁?
Which one?
哪一个?
Quiet, serious-looking one.
看起来挺安静严肃的那个
Oh, him.
哦 他啊
I suppose you invited him, mother.
我猜是你叫他来的吧 母亲
I don't know who you're talking about.
我不知道你们在说谁?
I invited him.
是我请他来的
His name is Fane and he's a doctor.
他叫费恩 是个医学博士
He manages a government laboratory.in Shanghai. A civil servant?
他在上海管一个英国政府实验室 公务员?
In any case.
不管怎么说
He called around last Sunday.We had a long chat.
他上周日来过 我们聊了好长时间
I told him to come back anytime.
我让他随时可以过来坐坐
It's not often that you like any of my young men.
您很少能看得上我认识的小伙子
Well, do you like him?
那你喜欢他吗
Not really.
不太喜欢
What's wrong with him?Is he in love with you? I don't know.
他有什么不好吗? 他爱上你了吗? 我不知道
I thought by now you'd know
到了你这个年龄
when a young man was in love with you.
假如有人爱上你 你应该会知道
The point is whether I'm in love with him, and I'm not.
关键是我爱不爱他 而我不爱他
You'd better be careful, young lady.
小姐 你还是小心点
Time can run out, you know.
岁月不饶人的
Oh, stop it, mother. Honestly.
母亲 别说了 老实说
The very idea that a woman
不顾自己的感情
should marry any Tom, Dick, or Harry...
没有任何爱情就嫁人
...regardless of her own feelings is simply prehistoric.
这种想法简直太落伍了
How much longer do you expect your father to go on supporting you?
你指望你父亲把你养到什么时候
Hello.
您好
Hello.
您好
I was... I was just coming...
我 我来是
Your father invited me.
您的父亲请我过来的
I'm going out.
我正要出去
May I join you?
我可以陪您去吗
Right on time.
很准时
What is it exactly that you do?
您到底是做什么工作的
I'm a bacteriologist.
我是个细菌学家
That must be fascinating.
那一定很有意思
You have no idea what that is, do you?
您完全不了解那是什么 对吗?
No, I'm afraid not.
是的 恐怕是这样
No. There's no reason you should.
当然您没有必要知道
I study the microorganisms that carry disease.
我研究携带病菌的微生物
Charming.
挺吸引人的
No, it's not, actually. It's the opposite.
不 实际上不是的 其实刚好相反
Shall we step inside?
我们要进去吗
Do you like flowers?
您喜欢花吗
Not particularly, no.
不太喜欢 嗯 不
Well, I mean, yes.
我是喜欢的 可是
But we don't really have them around the house.
我们家里很少有花
Mother says, "Why purchase something you can grow for free?"
母亲说 何必去买些自己能种的东西
Then, we don't really grow them either.
但其实我们也不种花
Does seem silly, really. To put all that effort into...
看来是有一点儿傻
...something that's just going to die.
耗费精力去照顾那些终归要死去的东西
I'd like to say something to you.
我有话想跟您说
I came to see you to ask you if you'll marry me.
我来是想问您是否愿意嫁给我
You could knock me down with a feather.
您真是让我大吃一惊
Could you not tell that I'm in love with you?
您看不出来我爱上您了吗
You never showed it.
您可从来没表示过
Oh, I...
噢 我
Well, I wanted to. It's difficult. I...
我想要表示的挺难的
But there it is.
不过我现在表示了
Right.
I'm not sure that's very well put.
你词汇上的选择不太理想
No, it's not.
是不太好
You see how clumsy I am. I...
我是多么的笨拙 我
I'm terrible at these sorts of things.
这方面我是很不在行
But the thing is,
但问题是
I've got to get back to China very soon.
我很快就得回中国了
I don't have time to be cautious.
我没时间小心谨慎了
I've never thought of you in that way.
我从来没把你往那方面想过
I improve greatly upon acquaintance.
但越了解我 你就会越喜欢我的
I'm sure you do...
肯定是这样
I'd do anything in my power to make you happy.
我会尽我所能让你快乐的
Anything at all.
什么都行
I think you'd like Shanghai.
我想你会喜欢上海
It's quite exciting, it is.
是个很热闹的地方
Lots of dancing.
有数不清的舞会
Surely you're not expecting me to answer this second.
不会现在就要我给您答复吧
I don't know you at all.
我根本不了解您
Yes. Ye... Well, we had the highest of hopes...
我们是有很高的期望 但没想到
...but no expectation that he'd ask her so soon.
他会这么快向她求婚
Yes. A lovely late autumn wedding.
是啊 在深秋举行的美丽婚礼
Oh, she's done very well for herself, has my Doris.
哦 我的小女儿真是找了个好丈夫
At least one of them's made a success.
至少她们中的一个成功了
No, I gave up on Kitty ages ago.
不我对吉蒂早就放弃希望了
Yes.
Yes. Well, I know you understand.
Yes.
嗯 我知道你明白
Well?
怎样
Is it smaller than you imagined?
比你想象的要小一点吧
I'm not sure what I imagined.
我什么也没想过
Don't you have a piano?
你没有钢琴吗
No. I don't play the piano.
没有 我不会弹钢琴
Who is it?
是谁啊
It's I.
是我
Come in.
请进
Just wanted to see if you were all settled.
我只想看看你是否安顿好了
So, then, you're comfortable, then?
那么你觉得还舒适吗
Do you need anything?
还需要什么吗
No.
不用了
I'm fine.
我很好
Thank you.
谢谢
Good. Good.
好的 好的
I am so happy you're here.
你在这里我真高兴
Shall I shut the lamp?
我应该把灯关了吗
What for?
为什么
I must shut the lamp.
我要关灯了
It's raining cats and dogs.
雨下得真大呀
I said, it's raining cats and dogs.
我刚才说雨下得很大
Yes, I heard you.
嗯 我听见了
You might have answered.
你起码应该答应一声
I'm sorry.
对不起
I've gotten used to not speaking unless I have something to say.
我是习惯了 除非有话要说 不然不会开口
If nobody spoke unless they had something to say...
如果我们非等到有话时才说出来
...the human race would soon lose the power of speech.
那人类很快会失去语言的功能
Walter.
沃特
I'm sorry.
对不起
You're right. What...?
你是对的
What shall we do? Shall we?
那我们干点什么
Shall we play a game?
我们玩个游戏吧?
You don't like the games I play. They bore you.
你觉得都很无聊 你不喜欢我玩的游戏
Nonsense.
胡说
Let's play cards.
我们来打牌吧
Do you think you'd enjoy a night out?
你看哪天晚上咱们出去玩玩好吗
We have an invitation for Saturday night.
有人邀请我们参加周六的舞会
From whom?
谁邀请的?
The Townsends.
唐森家
Dorothy Townsend.
多萝茜·唐森
Do you not like her?
你不喜欢她吗?
I've only met her once,
噢 我只跟她见过一次面
but there's no reason for her to put on such airs.
她不用这么自命不凡讲排场吧
Does she?
她是这样的吗?
Yes. I have no idea why.
对呀 我也不知道为什么
Because she was, what, married to a vice consul?
就因为她嫁了一个副领事
Honestly, they're absurd, this Shanghai set.
这些住上海的英国人实在是太没素质了
Mother wouldn't dream of asking half of them to dinner.
我母亲肯定不屑与这类人吃饭
I'm taking that black five.
我拿了你的黑桃五啦
Well, it's all right.
那没关系
I thought you might enjoy it...
我想你会喜欢的 不过
...but we certainly don't have to go.
我们也不是非去不可
I don't care either way.
我无所谓
Go where?
去哪里?
Kitty Fane? Hello, Dorothy.
你好多萝茜 吉蒂·费恩
I'm so glad you could come.
你们能来我太高兴了
This is Walter.
这是沃特
I'm pleased to meet you.
见到您很高兴
This is my husband.
这是我的先生
Charlie, stop talking and greet our guests.
查理 过来和我们的客人打个招呼
You know Mr. Fane. Charlie.
你已经认识费恩先生了吧 查理
It's Dr. Fane, darling. Oh, dear.
亲爱的 他是费恩博士
I do beg your pardon, Dr. Fane. Not at all.
对不起 请原谅我的失礼 费恩博士 没事
And this is Dr. Fane's wife, Kitty.
这位是费恩博士的太太 吉蒂
Mrs. Fane.
费恩太太
Mr. Townsend.
唐森先生
I do apologize, Dr. Fane.
我真的很抱歉 费恩博士
I assumed you worked with Charlie.
我以为您是查理在领馆的同事呢
Oh, no. Nothing so glamorous.
噢 不 没那么高级的
I'm at the Civil Laboratory.
我在政府实验室工作
Oh, the government lab? How fascinating.
哦 政府实验室 多有意思啊
Are you enjoying it?
你喜欢吗
I've never seen anything like it.
我从来没看过像这样的戏
Every gesture has a meaning.
一笑一颦都有微妙的涵义
See how she covers her face with the cloth?
你看她用衣袖遮起了脸
She is mourning her misfortune.
她在自悲身世
What happened to her?
她怎么了?
She was sold into slavery.
她被卖身为奴
Condemned to a life of drudgery and despair...
罪责加身 生活无望
...in a strange land far from home.
流落异乡
See the chains?
看见锁链了?
They represent the heavy bondage of her poor trapped soul...
它代表不可摆脱的枷锁
...from which there is no escape.
永远压在她可怜的灵魂上
And so she weeps.
所以她哀恸欲绝
She weeps for the lively,
她为自己哭泣
vivacious girl she once was...
她曾经是活泼可爱的少女
...the lonely woman she has become...
却变成了世界上最孤独的女人
...and most of all,
最重要的是
she weeps for the love she'll never feel...
她为自己永远不感受爱情
...for the love she'll never give.
也没机会付出爱情而哭泣
Is that really what she's saying?
她真的是在唱这些吗
Actually, I haven't a clue what she's on about.
其实我根本不知道
I don't speak Chinese.
我一句中文都不懂
What was that?
什么声音
Perhaps it was the amah...
可能是女佣人或者
They've gone.
他们走了
He heard us.
他听见我们了
Who?
你说谁
Walter.
沃特
Walter. What if it was?
沃特是他又怎样
For all he knows, you were taking a nap.
他大概以为你在睡午觉
With my doors locked?
午睡干嘛锁门
Kitty, dear, you need a drink.
亲爱的 我看你需要来杯酒
Even if it was, my impression is he'll do nothing.
就算是他 也不会做出什么事来
That's flattering.
说得轻巧
He knows as well as anyone there's
他很清楚 制造排闻
nothing to be gained by making a scandal.
对他一点好处也没有
Has it occurred to you that my husband is in love with me?
你难道没意识到我丈夫爱我
I have a feeling you're about to say something awful.
我感觉你又没什么好话要说了
It's just that women are often under the impression...
女人总觉得男人很爱她们
...that men are much more in love with them than they really are.
但事实上并非如此
I wouldn't delude myself for a second that you were in love with me.
我不会骗我自己你是爱着我的
Now there you're wrong.
那你这个就错了
Do you like your present?
喜欢我给你的礼物吗
It's good enough.
很不错
Charlie?
查理
Do I make you as happy as you make me?
我能让你快乐吗 像你让我一样
Of course you do, darling.
当然是这样 亲爱的
Hassan? Yes?
韩三 是的 太太
Who brought this package around? Dr. Fane.
这个包裹是谁拿来的 费恩博士
When?
什么时候
While you sleeping.
在您午睡的时候
It's nearly midday.
快中午了
We could stop up here under the trees...
我们可以到树下休息一下
...but I'd like to press on if it's all right with you.
不过你要是不介意 我想接着赶路
Certainly my comfort's of no concern to you.
你当然不在乎我是不是舒服
Right. Then we'll continue.
好 那我们接着走
Charlie Townsend, please.
请帮我找一下查理·唐森
Charles Townsend.
我是查理·唐森
I need to see you.
我需要见你
Kitty, I can't possibly see you.
吉蒂 我现在没空
I've got a meeting in an hour at the club.
一小时后我要去俱乐部开会
What is it?
什么事
I have to go.
我得挂了
What are you doing home?
你怎么回来了
I'm sorry, there's something I need to speak with you about.
对不起 我有话要和你说
Actually, I was just about to take my bath.
哦 我正准备去洗个澡
I'm afraid it's rather important, darling. Can't wait.
很重要 亲爱的 我不能再等了
Sit down.
坐下来
Do you know a place called Mei-tan-fu?
你听说过有个地方叫梅谭府吗
No.
没有
Well, it... It was in the papers the other day.
几天前报纸报导过
It's a small town on a tributary of the Yangtze River,
是长江支流上的一个小镇
in the interior.
在内陆地区
They've had an outbreak of cholera there.
那里爆发了可怕的霍乱
It's the worst epidemic anyone's seen in a long time.
多年来最严重的传染病疫情
The Chinese medical officer has died.
有位中国医生已染病身亡了
There's a convent of French nuns trying to run the hospital.
只剩下几个法国修女在主持医院
They're doing the best they can, but people are dropping like flies.
她们竭尽全力 但人们还是纷纷病死
I have volunteered to go and to take charge.
我自愿提出去主持医疗工作了
Why?
为什么
Because they need a doctor.
因为他们需要医生
But you're not a doctor. You're a bacteriologist.
可你不是医生 你是个细菌学家
I'm an M.D.
我是医学博士
The fact that I'm foremost a scientist...
但我首先是个科学家
...is actually all to the good in this case.
对付霍乱是很有用的
Won't it be awfully dangerous?
那不是很危险吗
I suppose it might, yes.
是的 可能是很危险的
Now, Mei-tan-fu is a 10-day journey. You can go by rail for the first part.
去梅谭府要花十天时间
But after that it's carriage,
可以先坐火车 之后是马车
and then we'll have to take a sedan chair.
接着我们要坐轿子
Who's we?
你是说我们
Why, you and I, of course.
怎么啦 当然是你和我
You're not expecting me to come too.
难道你想让我和你一起去
I hoped that if I was going, you would want to go.
我以为如果我去 你也会愿意去
Surely it's no place for a woman.
那可不是女人能去的地方
It would be madness for me to go.
我疯了才会去 我为什么要去?
Why should I? To cheer and comfort me?
去支持我 安慰我
No.
No, I won't go.
不 我不会去
In fact, it's monstrous of you to even ask me.
你居然要求我去 真是太过分了
Fine. Then I shall file my petition for divorce tomorrow.
好吧 那么我明天就去申请离婚
I'm afraid that you have thought me a bigger fool than I am.
我没有你想的那么傻
I don't know what you're talking about.
我不明白你在说什么
Don't you?
是吗
I am divorcing you for adultery.
我以通奸为由提出离婚
I am naming Charles Townsend as your lover.
我会指认查理·唐森为你的情人
I'm sorry, Walter.
对不起 沃特
I realize this is very unpleasant.
我知道这不好受 但是
But, please, let's not make this uglier than it needs to be.
请不要把事情弄得那么难堪
By all means. What is it that you propose that we should do?
那你觉得我们该怎么办
You could let me divorce you quietly.
你可以让我平静地和你离婚
You divorce me?
让你和我离婚
On what grounds? That's what a gentleman would do.
能问问你凭什么吗 这样才是一个绅士会做的
Give me one reason to put myself
你能给我一点点理由
to an inconvenience on your account.
为什么要麻烦自己替你设想呢
Please, Walter, don't be so hateful.
沃特 别这么刻薄
We didn't mean to hurt anyone.
我们没想伤害任何人 但是
But Charlie and I have fallen in love.
查理和我是真心相爱的
He wants to marry me.
他要娶我
Really?
真的吗
I knew that you weren't the cleverest girl...
我一直觉得你不怎么聪明
...but I didn't know you were actually a fool.
但没想到你竟然这么蠢
Yes. Well, if it makes you feel better to hurt me,
伤害我如能让你舒服点
then go ahead.
那随便你
But you might as well get used to it.
你最好还是接受现实
We love each other.
我们彼此相爱
And we're sick to death of the secrecy
我们厌倦这样偷偷模模
And compromise and the rest.
还有生活上的妥协
Now you curse the day that you ever met me.
遇到我对你来说本来是件不幸的事情
Stop mocking me.
别再嘲弄我了
There's no other response
如此可悲的行径
for such pathetic behavior.
只配得上这种回应
It's comic.
想起来有些滑稽
When I think about how hard I have tried to make you happy.
我尽了那么大的努力让你开心
Debasing myself, acting as though I was as thrilled
不惜贬低我自己 即便是听你讲流言羞语
as you by the latest gossip.
也假装和你一样兴奋
I don't have to listen to this. And as ignorant of the world as you are...
装得像你一样庸俗无知 闭嘴
If you interrupt me again, I'll strangle you.
你要是再敢插嘴我就掐死你
Sit down.
坐下
I knew when I married you
娶你的时候
that you were selfish and spoiled.
我知道你自私娇惯
But I loved you.
但我爱过你
I knew that you married me only to get
我知道你肯嫁给我
as far away from your mother as possible...
只是为了离开你母亲越远越好
...and I hoped that one day
但我一直希望
there'd be something more.
我们的感情会逐渐加深
I was wrong.
但我错了
You don't have it in you.
你没能力改变你的感情
If a man hasn't what's necessary to make a woman love him...
一个男人如没办法让女人爱上他
...then it's his fault,
那是他的错
not hers.
不是她的
Either way.
不管怎么样
Tomorrow morning we are to leave for Mei-tan-fu,
明早要么我们一起去梅谭府
or I shall file my petition.
要么我去申请离婚
You can't be serious about taking me
沃特 你不是真的要带我去
into the middle of a cholera epidemic.
霍乱蔓延的地方吧
Do you think that I'm not?
你觉得我在开玩笑吗
My God.
天啊
That's what you want, isn't it?
这就是你想要的是吗
Do you really think Charlie will let you do this?
你以为查理会允许你这么做吗
I don't think Charlie has very much to say about it.
我想查理对这件事没资格表态
Everything you said is true.
你说的一切都没错
Everything.
一切都没错
I married you even though I didn't love you.
我嫁给你 但我并不爱你
But you knew that.
但你一直都知道
Aren't you as much to blame for what's happened as I?
你不是和我一样都有责任吗
All right.
好吧
Here's what I'll do.
我看这样吧
Gentlemen, we all have assets to protect here.
先生们 我们在这里都有财产要保护
Unfortunately, Mr. Nagata's actions
不幸的是 长门先生的行为
have created a rather urgent situation.
已造成相当危急的局面
It was an unfortunate
是很不幸
but unavoidable incident.
但是个不可避免的意外
Your foreman shot a worker.
你的工头开枪打死了一个工人
He was an agitator.
他是带头闹事的
He was a Chinese.
是一个中国人
You may have suppressed a very small strike...
你们可能镇压了一次小罢工
...but in doing so,
但你却引发了
you have started a very large demonstration.
一个大规模的示威游行
I need to use your pen, please.
用一下您的笔 谢谢
Here you are, miss. Thank you.
您请用 小姐
What about support from Chiang Kai-shek?
找蒋介石帮忙怎么样
Where does he stand?
他对这件事是什么态度
He's a nationalist. He will stand on the side of the Chinese.
他是国民党 他会站在中国人那边
That's why they call themselves nationalists.
所以他们才叫自己国民党
Excuse me.
对不起
Mr. Townsend.
唐森先生
I think you underestimated the situation.
你低估了目前的形势
I have three of my mills shut down because of walkouts.
因为罢工 我的三间工厂已关闭了
There is talk about boycotts.
他们又说要全面罢工
What do you propose?
你有什么提议
A handful of municipal soldiers is hardly a show of force.
区区几个市政府卫兵起不了作用
If you'll excuse me.
对不起 失陪一下
Mrs. Fane. What a pleasant surprise.
费恩太太 很高兴见到您
You've rescued me from a pack of wild bores.
您把我从这帮无聊的人中解救了出来
I wouldn't have come if it wasn't necessary.
如没必要我是不会来的
Are you all right?
你怎么啦
I needed to see you. I'm sorry.
我有事找你 对不起
Kitty, this is not the most opportune time for me to...
吉蒂 我现在不太方便
Charlie. He knows.
查理 他都知道了
Right.
是这样 嗯
After you, Mrs. Fane.
费恩太太 您先请
Hello, Charlie. Hello, George.
查理 你好 你好 乔治
Hello, Townsend.
你好 唐森
Pardon.
亚当
He wants a divorce.
他要离婚
You didn't commit yourself, did you?
你没表态吧
Acknowledge anything?
没承认吧
No.
没有
Are you sure?
你确定吗?
Quite sure.
你确定吗?
Well,
this is a bloody scrape we're in.
我们现在麻烦大了
He says he has proof.
他说他有证据
We deny it.
我们就不承认
He can't prove anything.
他证明不了什么
Besides, it wouldn't do him any good to create a scandal.
再说丑闻对沃特也没什么好处
But there isn't going to be a scandal.
但不会有什么丑闻的
Walter's agreed to let me divorce him quietly.
沃特同意不声张 要和我悄悄地离婚
That's not so terrible, is it?
哦 那也不是太坏 不是吗?
Will you hold me? Of course I will.
抱着我好吗 当然
Oh, God.
天啊
Charlie?
查理
His offer comes with a condition.
他有一个条件
I'm not a rich man.
我可没多少钱
He doesn't want your money.
他不是要你的钱
He's agreed to let me divorce him
他同意让我跟他离婚
if Dorothy will agree to divorce you.
如果多萝茜同意和你离婚
And if...
而且
What?
怎样
If you'll promise to marry me.
如果你发誓会娶我为妻
You know, darling, whatever happens,
你知道不管发生什么事情
we must try to keep Dorothy out of it.
我们都不能把多萝茜扯进来
What do you mean?
你这是什么意思
We can't only think of ourselves.
我们不能只想着自己
I know Dorothy.
我了解多萝茜
Nothing in the world will induce her to divorce me.
她绝对不会跟我离婚
You don't want to divorce her.
你不想和她离婚
It's not a question of my marriage.
这不只是我和她的问题
Then what is it?
那还有什么?
Do you have any idea of the importance of my station here?
你知道我的职位有多重要吗?
If I were...
如果我
Why are you laughing?
你笑什么?
I don't think Walter intended for one minute to divorce me.
我想沃特从没打算跟我离婚
He knew you'd let me down.
他知道你肯定会让我失望
Try to understand.
体谅我一下吧
I understand, all right.
我全明白
Kitty. Kitty, please.
吉蒂 吉蒂 别这样
We'll work this out, I promise.
我们会有办法的
I'm coming with you.
我和你一起去
Good. I thought you might.
好 我知道你会的
I suppose I needn't take more than a few summer things?
带一些夏装和一身寿衣
And a shroud?
其它就不需要了吧
I've told Hassan what you'll need.
我已告诉女佣了
She's packing already.
她正在帮你收拾行李
I wouldn't touch that if I was you.
我要是你就不会碰它
They may have died in that bed.
他们可能就死在那张床上
This can be your room.
这个房间给你用
You must be the doctor's wife.
您应该是医生的太太
I've just met your husband
我刚碰到你先生
and invited myself to dinner.
约好了和你们吃晚饭
I've kept the Watsons' cook for you.
我还为你们留着华生的厨师
She's not bad.
她还不错
She'll have to do as your amah as well.
但她还得兼做你们的女佣
We're a little short-handed here.
我们这里人手太少
Sorry, my name is Waddington.
不好意思 我叫维廷顿
Oh, yes, of course. Kitty Fane.
当然 吉蒂·费恩
I'm the deputy commissioner.
我是负责这个地区的副官
Please.
I believe you're one of our neighbors.
我想您是我们的邻居之一吧
Only neighbor,I'm afraid.
恐怕是唯一的邻居
Last one standing.
最后一个还活着的
And Watson was the missionary living here?
华生是以前住这里的传教士吗?
Yes. Nice fellow.
是的 是个好人
American. Lovely family.
美国人 很好的一家人
I'll show you their graves tomorrow, if you like.
明天带你去看他们的墓地好吗?
How kind of you.
不必了您太客气了
I hope your journey wasn't too arduous.
你们来的路上不是太辛苦吧
We've been traveling for two weeks.
我们在路上走了两个星期
Two weeks?
两周
What did you do, swim?
你们怎么来的 游泳吗?
No, we didn't come upriver. Came overland.
不是 我们没走水路 走的是陆路
Whatever for?
为什么?
Well, we wanted to take in a bit of the countryside.
嗯 想看看乡间美景
Get a bit of sun. Didn't we, darling?
晒晒太阳 对吧 亲爱的?
Anyone for a cocktail?
有谁想喝一杯?
Here's luck.
祝各位好运
I was told I might get some help from the local army officer.
我听说有位本地军官可能会帮助我
Colonel Yu, is it?
是于团长吗
Good luck with him. He's not fond of us British.
他呀 他不是很喜欢我们英国人
Listen, I'll warn you,
我可要提醒你们
things are pretty dicey even out here.
即便是外地情况也是很紧张的
I'm afraid that if the cholera doesn't get us,
就算霍乱不找上门来
the nationalists might.
那些反帝国主义者有可能来找麻烦
Tried to get those nuns to go
我试着叫那些修女离开
but they refused.
却被她们拒绝了
They all want to be martyrs, damn them.
她们他妈的都想当殉教者
Well, why have you stayed?
那你为什么留下来
I was posted here. Simple as that.
我是被派到这里的 就这么简单
I was shocked to hear you'd volunteered.
听说你是自愿来的 我简直太吃惊了
Opportunity for research.I couldn't pass it up.
是个研究的好机会 我不想错过
Yes. And you?
是吗 那你呢?
I don't suppose you've come to Mei-tan-fu for the research.
你肯定不是来做研究吧
My husband's the scientist.
我丈夫才是科学家
Indeed.
当然了
Did you have any reaction to the inoculation?
你接种疫苗有什么不良反应吗?
You have been inoculated?
你接种疫苗了吧
Yes, of course.
当然
No guarantee. The Watsons were inoculated...
那也不是万元一失的
...and it didn't do them much good.
华生一家都打过 也没有起作用
Oh, have you brought any gramophone records?
你有没有带些唱片来
No, unfortunately not. Pity.
没有真遗憾 没带
I'm sick of all mine.
可惜我听腻了我的所有唱片
Listen.
What's all that?
那都是什么声音
Across the river.
河对面
Trying to frighten off the spirit of death.
他们正努力驱赶孤魂野鬼
I'm going to town in the morning, have a look around.
我明早要去镇上看看
I expect you'll want to rest.
你先休息一下
I can inoculate you in the evening.
晚上我给你打疫苗
Will you be doing yourself?
那你自己呢
No, I don't think so.
不 我不打了
You needn't bother with me, then.
那我也不用打了
Suit yourself.
随你便
Tell me, Walter...
告诉我沃特
...is it a long, drawn-out affair,
染上霍乱等死
dying of cholera?
是个漫长而痛苦的过程吗
No. All of the fluid goes out of you in the first 36 hours.
前三十六个小时内
You die of dehydration,
体内所有水分消耗殆尽
actually.
其实就是死于严重脱水
So it's messy and very painful.
确实非常痛苦
But it is relatively quick.
但相对来说死得还是很快的
Good night.
晚安
It's rather unfortunate.
非常不幸
I thought perhaps that you and your wife...
可能你和你的太太要有所准备
...you'd like to take precautions in case you'd have to leave this place.
以备突然要离开
Do you think all this is really necessary?
你觉得有必要这样做吗
You can see the picture.
你会看到的
I thought you'd like to
我想在这种情况下
put your wife's mind at rest from this situation.
你会想让你太太放心一点
This is Colonel Yu. He's the KMT's man.
这位是国民党的于团长
He's posting one of his men here at the house.
他派了一名士兵来保护我们
Am I a prisoner?
那我不就成了囚犯?
No. It was Mr. Waddington's idea, actually.
不 这其实是维廷顿的主意
He feels we should take precautions.
他觉得我们得小心一点
Precautions against what?
小心什么
A few days ago, British troops opened fire...
前几天在上海的英国军队
...on a group of Chinese workers who were demonstrating in Shanghai.
冲着示威的中国工人开枪了
Eleven were killed.
死了十一个人
We've only just heard.
我们是刚听说的
Those were plastered around the town last night.
昨晚镇子上到处贴着这些告示
I shouldn't worry too much.
我想你们不用太担心
Even the nationalists are afraid of cholera.
即便是反帝国主义者也害怕霍乱的
Do they take that water from the well?
他们是直接从井里打水吗
Can I see where they get their drinking water?
团长我能去看村民打水的地方吗
Well, for starters, we've got to stop people from using this well...
在我做化验之前
...until I can test it.
得让大家先不要从这口井打水
Do you understand?
你明白吗
Yes, I understand, Dr. Fane.
是的 我明白 费恩博土
I received my military training in Moscow.
我曾经在莫斯科受训
If you don't like English,
如果你不喜欢说英语
we can speak Russian.
咱们可以说俄语
English will be fine. Thank you.
英语好一点 谢谢
Here.
这儿
You have seen cholera before, yes, doctor?
医生 你以前见过霍乱 对吧?
At the laboratory, of course.
当然 在实验室见过
No, I mean in a patient.
不 我是说临床
No. I haven't had the chance, actually.
没有 我还没有这个机会
Well, I'm not a clinician.
我不是临床大夫
Did they not tell you?
他们没跟你说过吗
I'm an infectious-disease specialist.
我是传染病专家
Shall we?
我们进去吧
After you, doctor.
医生您先请
No, it's all right. I'm all right.
不 我很好 没事
All right, let's go.
没事 继续
I don't need you.
我不需要你
Go back.
你回去吧
Mr. Waddington?
维廷顿先生
I'm looking for Mr. Waddington.
我来找维廷顿先生
Wait here. All right?
你在这里等好吗
Hello?
有人吗
Mr. Waddington?
维廷顿先生
Mrs. Fane?
费恩太太
Good morning.
早上好
What can I do for you, Mrs. Fane?
费恩太太 我能为您效劳吗?
I found a record for you.
我帮您找了一张唱片
Stravinsky.
斯特拉文斯基
Very modern. Thank you.
很时髦 谢谢您
Was there something else?
您还有什么事吗?
Yes. I was wondering if you could tell me
是的 您能否告诉我
when the post comes through.
邮递员什么时候来
It's for Shanghai.
我有信要寄到上海
Unfortunately, since the cholera...
很不幸 霍乱爆发以来
...the cowards won't venture past the river port.
没有人愿意送信了
But leave it with me.
不过把它留给我吧
A local trader I know is making the trip on Friday.
我认识的商人周五会去上海
Townsend.
唐森
Charlie Townsend? Yes.
查理·唐森
He's an acquaintance of my husband.
是的是我先生的熟人
Do you know him? Years ago.
认识他吗
We were both assigned to the consulate in Shanghai.
几年前我们一起被派到上海领馆
Charming wife.
他的太太很迷人
Yes. They're very popular, aren't they?
对他们很受欢迎
He'd made a science of popularity.
是唐森在这方面很有天赋
So you know his family? Well, well enough.
你认识他的家人
I like Dorothy.
相当熟 我喜欢多萝茜
Yes, I understand they're quite the devoted couple.
他们两个好像彼此情投意合
Oh, he had his little flirtations.
当然他喜欢跟女人调调情
Nothing serious.
不会是认真的吧
I once heard her say she found it most unflattering...
有一次我听她说过
...that the women who fell for her husband were
那些瞄上她丈夫的女人
so consistently second-rate.
都是些二流的货色
Well, enjoy the record.
这样啊 希望您喜欢这唱片
Mrs. Fane?
费恩太太
The letter.
那信呢
Right.
哦 对
Yes, it suddenly occurred to me that Friday's much too late.
我突然想起来 星期五可能太晚了
Thanks all the same.
但还是谢谢您
Can you pass the salt, please?
能把盐递给我吗
I'm sorry, did you say something?
对不起 你刚才说什么?
Could you pass the salt?
麻烦你把盐递给我
Thank you.
谢谢
So this is how it's going to be.
那么日子就是这样了
Passing her evenings in silence.
每晚她无声无息地度过
Walter.
沃特
Walter.
沃特
I wonder if you haven't gone insane.
你失去理智了吗?
She's not cooking it. Leave it.
她没煮过 放着吧
Leave it.
放下
Thank you.
谢谢
Are you looking to kill yourself?
你是想自杀吗
Town well's contaminated.
镇上的井水被污染了
This is dirty. It's dirty.
这个脏 脏
What?
什么
Mr. Waddington?
维廷顿先生
Mrs. Fane? Mrs. Fane?
费恩太太
Mrs. Fane?
费恩太太
Come away. Come away.
到这边来
What's the matter with Te-Ming?
德明怎么了
You have the dead man on you.
您有鬼魂缠身呢
They're very superstitious, aren't they?
他们很迷信是吧
She's lost three children and a husband to the cholera.
她的丈夫和三个孩子都死于霍乱
So you can hardly blame her.
您就不能责怪她了
You know,
您知道
this is no place for a woman.
这里可不是一个女人呆的地方
When they telegraphed me that you were coming out,
当时我接到电报说您要来
I was astonished.
我真是很惊讶
I imagined you might be a grim-visaged old nurse...
我以为您会是个又老又丑的护士
...with thick legs and a moustache.
长着粗壮的腿和小胡子
I came into the bungalow and there you were...
后来我走进平房看见您
...frail and tired
那么柔弱疲惫
and very unhappy.
而且很不开心
It was a long journey.
旅途太漫长了
But you're unhappy now.
但您现在还是不开心
And it occurred to me that you and your husband might
我本来想 您和您的丈夫
be madly in love...
一定非常恩爱
...and you'd simply refused to stay behind.
而您不肯一个人留在上海
That's a reasonable explanation. Yes.
那是个合理的解释
But it's not the right one.
是的 但好像又不太对
Do you know what I find strange?
您知道我觉得哪里奇怪吗?
That your husband should never look at you.
您的丈夫从来不看您
He looks at the walls, the floor, his shoes.
他老是看着墙地板和鞋子
He has a great deal on his mind.
他有太多事情要操心了
Yes, I'm sure of it.
嗯 的确是这样
Dr. Fane?
费恩博士
Dr. Fane?
费恩博士
Oh, God.
哦 天啊
All right.
好的
What are you doing?
你在干嘛
Martini?
马提尼酒
Yes?
谁呀
I'm the bearer of a message from the Mother Superior.
院长让我给你梢个口信
Who?
The nun who supervises the orphanage and the hospital.
管理孤儿院和医院的修女
I didn't know she was aware of my existence.
我以为她不知道我的存在
Well, apparently, Mr. Waddington has spoken of you.
好像维廷顿跟她说起过你
She would very much like to meet the loving, loyal wife...
她很想见见仁慈的费恩医生的
...of the compassionate Dr. Fane.
那位深情又忠诚的太太
Right. Then I must prepare myself for the charade.
那我得准备装腔作势了
She does understand if you...
她也能理解 如果
...don't want to venture into the center of the epidemic.
你不想到疫区最严重的地方去
If you're not afraid, why should I be?
你都不怕我怕什么
I forgot.
我忘了
Walter?
沃特
Oh, my God.
我的上帝
You're drunk.
你喝醉了
Don't expect anything grand.
别期待太高
They're miserably poor.
她们穷得要命
Hello.
你好
It is a great pleasure to make the acquaintance...
真是太荣幸 能认识
...of the wife of our good and brave doctor.
我们勇敢好心医生的太太
Lovely to meet you too.
我也很高兴能认识您
Mr. Waddington.
维廷顿先生
You must eat the madeleine.
您一定得尝尝艾德琳饼
Sister St. Joseph made them for you herself this morning.
圣约瑟夫修女今早亲手为您做的
So tell me, Mrs. Fane...
请告诉我 费恩太太
...to which faith do you subscribe?
您信奉什么宗教
Excuse me.
对不起
We attended services.
我们去教堂做礼拜
Not religiously... Regularly.
但不是特别认真的
You could say I'm a member of the Church of England.
也可以说我是英格兰教会的一员
Which is an inoffensive way of saying...
那间接地说就是
...you don't quite believe in anything much.
您并不太信奉任何宗教
You're very pretty.
您非常漂亮
And very young.
也非常年轻
I assure you I'm not. I feel ancient.
我不年轻 我觉得自己很老了
If Mrs. Fane would like to see over the convent and orphanage...
要是您想参观修道院和孤儿院
...I shall be glad to show her.
我很愿意带您去参观一下
Alone.
只您一人
We keep the older girls busy with sewing.
年纪大的缝衣服
It keeps them occupied.
这样子她们有事情做
And earns money for the convent.
也能帮修道院嫌点钱
That one won't allow us to baptize her.
那女孩不让我们给她施洗礼
Our music room.
我们的音乐教室
Sister Maryse.
修女玛丽斯
Sister Dominique was our pianist.
多梅尼科修女曾是我们钢琴师
She died last week. Cholera.
她上周死于霍乱
Through there is the infirmary.
从这里穿过去是病房
It is not a sight one would wish to see.
我劝你还是不要看了
Shall I call Dr. Fane out to see you?
我是否通知费恩博士出来见您?
No. You needn't disturb him.
不用 不必打扰他
Now, with the epidemic,
霍乱四处蔓延
we have even more to care for.
要照顾的人越来越多
This baby was brought in this morning.
这个婴儿是今早送来的
Another orphan.
又多了个孤儿
She says Dr. Fane loves babies.
她说费恩博士喜欢婴儿
He spends as much time as he can helping them out in the nursery.
他总是尽量留在育婴室帮忙
Mrs. Fane?
费恩太太
Mrs. Fane?
费恩太太
You all right?
您还好吗?
Yes.
It's nothing,
我没事
only foolishness.
只是太愚蠢了
What do you want?
你在干什么?
Sorry.
对不起
I brought you your supper.
我把你的晚饭带来了
All right. Just leave it there.
好 就放在那里吧
Is there something else?
还有什么事吗?
What's that you're doing?
你在做什么呢
I am testing the nitrate levels of a local tomato.
测试本地西红柿的硝酸盐含量
Why?
为什么?
Why?
为什么?
Can't possibly interest you.
你对这个不会感兴趣的
Well, enjoy your supper.
好吧 好好享用你的晚餐
Walter.
沃特
What do you propose we should do if we get through the epidemic?
假如我们能度过霍乱以后怎么办
I have no idea.
我也不知道
But I don't think
但我认为
any good will come of talking about
总谈论该忘掉的事情
a situation we should forget.
可不会有什么好处
But you don't forget.
但你是不会把它忘掉的
Please. I really must work.
对不起 我确实要工作了
Won't you listen to what I have to say?
你不能听听我要说的吗?
All right. If you insist.
如果你坚持的话
It's just, today...
今天我
...having been at the convent, with those nuns.
和修女们一起呆在修道院
What have they done, converted you?
她们干什么了?让你参加教会?
No.
不是
They spoke of you.And it made me feel...
她们说起你让我觉得
What?
什么
It made you feel what?I think I've been afraid of you.
让你觉得什么? 我好像一直很害怕你
Well, you should have been.
你是应该怕我
Excuse me.
对不起
If I can't work, I'm going to bed.
如果不能工作 我就要去睡觉了
I know you're angry at me.
我知道你还生气
But if we could just try and talk about...
但我们能不能试着谈一谈
Honestly, I don't understand you.
我根本不理解
What is it that you want from me?
你到底要我干什么
Perhaps I just want us to be
也许我希望
a little less unhappy.
我们可以不这么痛苦
You're mistaken in thinking I am.
你如果觉得我痛苦 那你就错了
I have too much to do to
我要做的事情太多
think of you very much.
根本没时间想你
That's exactly what I'm trying to say.
这正是我要说的
I feel useless.
我觉得自己没用
What do you propose that I do about that?
那你觉得这关我的事吗?
For God sakes,
沃特 看在老天的份上
will you stop punishing me?
你别再惩罚我了
Do you absolutely despise me?
你真的这么恨我吗
No. I despise myself.
不 我只是恨我自己
Why?
为什么
For allowing myself to love you once.
因为我曾经爱过你
Hello.
你们好
I'm very well. And you?
我很好 你呢
For you. And you.
给你 还有你
I hope I haven't come at an inconvenient time.
您现在方便吗?
Sister Maryse died last night.
马里斯修女昨天夜里过世了
I've just written to inform her parents.
我刚给她的父母写了封信
I'm so sorry.
真遗憾
But it is sinful of me to grieve...
但我不该为她太悲伤
...when I know that her good and simple soul has flown straight to heaven.
她美好单纯的灵魂已升入天堂了
How can I help you?
我能帮您做什么吗?
Well, I'm sure that with the sister's death...
嗯 修女过世了
...you must be even more short-handed.
我想你们一定更缺人手
You see, I was wondering if I could come to the convent...
我在想我能不能来修道院
...and do anything, just... Just to help out.
做点事情 就算当个帮手
My dear child, don't you think you've done enough...
你不觉得你和丈夫一起来这儿
...coming here with your husband?
已经做得够多了吗?
I've been here a month...
我来这里已经一个月了
...and, believe me, I have nothing to do from morning till night.
从早到晚都没事可做
Perhaps I could help with the sisters in the hospital.
也许我能帮修女们做点什么
That is impossible.Cholera is a terrible thing to see.
不行 霍乱是非常恐怖的
Besides, what would happen if you should fall ill?
再说 如果您染上病怎么办?
I'd be happy to scrub the floors.
擦地板也行 什么都行
Anything. Just something to feel useful.
只要让我觉得自己还有点用
That will not be necessary.
那倒是不用
The orphans scrub the floors.
地板是这里的孤儿擦的
No, no, it is our business and our privilege to do such things.
不 不 这都是我们应该做的事情
But there is always more to do each day.
不过每天事情确实越来越多
Have you spoken to your husband of your wish?
你和你的先生说过这个想法了吗
Yes.
是的
I don't know what you're saying.
我不知道你在说什么
I also found traces in the river,
我在河水里发现了污染的痕迹
downstream from the burial grounds.
下游接近坟场的地方
You've checked these results?
这些结果你已经检验了
I tested it three times.
我已经检验过三遍了
Well, that's it, then.
那么只能这样了
I would recommend barricading the bathing area.
我建议把下游附近的水源围起来
Cut off all access to the river.
不许任何人接近河水
How far do you expect people to walk for water?
那你要让村民走多远去挑水?
I've no idea.
我一点也不知道
Upriver, at least a half-mile above the burial ground.
往上游走 至少要离坟场半英里
That's too far.
那太远了
Nevertheless.
没办法
I agree with Dr. Fane.
我同意费恩博士说的
It's necessary.
必须这样
Also, I thought we'd agreed to post a directive...
而且我们不是同意了贴个告示
...to dispose of the corpses immediately.
指示大家必须马上把尸体埋掉
We've done that already.
我们已经这样做了
If you don't enforce it, then it doesn't matter.
如不强制执行的话就起不了作用
Families are hiding bodies for days.
有的人把尸体停放在家里好几天
They bury them too close to the river. I understand.
然后又埋在离河太近的地方
You don't have to explain it twice.
我明白你没必要重复解释
Colonel, I respectfully request...
团长 我敬请你
...that you order your soldiers
下令让士兵去他们家里
to enter these people's homes...
把尸体搬走
...and remove the bodies by force if necessary.
实在不行就得强制做
It's all right.
没事
Hello.
你好
I understand.
我明白
The spirits need access to the water. I understand that.
我明白你们对风水有要求
I just want to move a few of these so they don't live in the water.
我只想挪一下 让他们别泡在水里
He said they're under the protection of their warlord.
他说他们是受督军保护的
If he wants to move the bodies, he will send his own soldiers.
如他想搬尸体 他会派他的士兵来
It isn't the best time for a Western woman to explore
现在不是一个西方女人
a Chinese town by herself.
独自在中国小镇里乱逛的时候
Oh, do be quiet.
哦 你别说了
As if you care whether I'm killed by nationalists or boredom.
我被人杀死 还是无聊死 对你都一样
Besides, I wasn't alone.
再说我又不是一个人
I was with my gallant protector, Sung Ching.
我有勇敢的士兵宋青陪着
By the way,
另外
you might be happy to know...
我对于修女和你一样没用处
...that I am just as useless to the nuns as I am to you.
你知道这个也许会高兴
I shut off the town's only water supply today.
今天我关闭了镇上唯一的供水处
What will you do?
接下来怎么办
I have no idea.
我一点儿都不知道
Then I suppose we're both useless.
那么我们都是一无是处的人
At last, something in common.
终于找到了共同点
Dr. Fane. We've both been caught out in the weather.
费恩博士 我们刚刚被
Not now, sorry.
对不起 我没空
I beg your pardon?
你说什么
Counting.
我在数数
Counting?
数数?
We'll camp here tonight.
今晚我们就在这儿扎营吧
What makes you think this warlord will cooperate?
你凭什么觉得督军会跟我们合作
I don't think he will.
我觉得他不会
So, what do you plan to say to persuade him?
那你想怎么说服他呢
I don't know.
我不知道
These men are like animals.
这些人跟禽兽一样
They have no vision.
他们没有理想
They only have hunger and strength.
只关心怎么满足自己的野心
Men like this have held the real power in China since I was young.
这种人从我小时候就执掌着大权
But that time is coming to an end.
但他们掌权的日子就快要结束了
There's no place for them in the new China.
新的中国不会容许他们存在
I don't think you like my being here very much either, do you?
你好像也不太喜欢我在这儿 对吧?
I think China belongs to Chinese people...
我认为中国是属于中国人的
...but the rest of the world seems to disagree.
但其它国家似乎都不同意这一点
Yes, but that's got nothing to do with me.
是但那和我没任何关系
I didn't come here with a gun, you know.
我不是带着枪来这里的
I came with a microscope.
我只带了一个显微镜
I believe you.
我相信你
But it would be nice to do this work together...
如果贵国的军队不对准我们的人民
...without your country's guns pointing at our people.
咱们之间的合作会好很多
Our plan is to divert the water to the town...
我们计划把上游的水从田里改道
...from the fields upriver, above the burial grounds.
远离坟场引到镇子里去
With your permission and the assistance of your troops...
如果您能允许还要请您的士兵帮忙
...the graves will be moved away from the water...
一起把坟场搬离水源
...and Colonel Yu and his men
然后于团长的人马会指示村民
will enforce the prompt burial of the dead.
妥善埋葬那些尸体
Maintaining the integrity of the water sources...
只要保持水源干净
...and enforcing proper sanitation over the next weeks...
严格执行 卫生
...will make a difference between a few more deaths and possibly thousands.
情况就会改观 大大降低死亡人数
He said no.
他说不行
He doesn't speak any English, does he?
他不会英文 对吧?
Tell him that's the most ridiculous suit that I've ever seen.
告诉他我从没见过那么可笑的制服
I'm sorry.
对不起
Do not stop on my account
别因为我停下来
if Dr. Fane is enjoying himself.
如果费恩医生很喜欢的话
No. No, not at all.
哦 不是 我只是
No, l... It's very nice. I just... I was passing.
这样挺好的 我只是路过
No. Stay.
不 请留下来
I should go.
我该走了
I insist.
一定要留下来
All right, if you like.
好吧 听您的
Continue, Mrs. Fane.
继续吧 费恩太太
But perhaps something a little more soothing.
能来点更轻柔的吗?
Yes, of course.
好的 当然
They brought in a new baby today.
今天来了一个新孤儿
The girls named her Zan Xien.
她们叫她崭新
It means "brand-new."
就是全新的意思
The nuns are going to call it Katherine, which, of course...
修女们打算叫她凯瑟琳
...none of the girls will be able to say.
当然没有一个女孩会发这个音
Thank goodness for those nuns.
感谢这些修女
They do so much for so little in return.
她们付出如此之多 得到却那么少
I suppose you could look at it that way.
你也可以从那个角度去看
You suppose?
那你怎么想
I think it might be a bit more complicated than that.
可能比你想像的复杂得多
They take in desperate children and give them a chance at life.
收留绝望的孩子 给他们新的希望
What could be so complicated about that?
那又有什么复杂的?
They also go to young mothers in their homes.
她们也直接去找年轻的母亲
They ask them to give their babies to the convent.
让她们把孩子交给修道院
They offer them money to support their families
修女给她们一些钱养家糊口
to persuade them to do it.
以鼓励她们来交换
They're not just here to run an orphanage, your nuns.
那些修女们不只是成立孤儿院
They're turning those children into little Catholics.
她们也把孩子变成小天主教徒
None of us are in China without a reason.
我们每个人留在中国都是有理由的
Still, on the whole...
不过 总的来说
...I think that what they're doing
我觉得她们做的
is a pretty good deed, don't you?
是非常好的事情 不是吗?
I'm here to study bacteria.
我只是在这儿研究细茵
I don't feel a need to have an opinion about the rest.
我觉得没必要去探讨其它事情
Well, I do, and I admire them.
嗯 我是这样觉得的 我钦佩她们
I don't think it has to be so complicated and gloomy.
我觉得没那么复杂和阴暗
And I think what you're doing, for instance, is incredibly noble.
比如说 你现在所做的就非常伟大
You used to feel contempt for me. Don't you still?
你以前看不起我 现在不也是吗?
Walter. I can't believe that you, with all your cleverness...
沃特 我真不敢相信
...should have such little sense of proportion.
像你这么聪明的人竟然会如此糊涂
We humans are more complex than your silly little microbes.
人类难道不比那些微生物复杂吗?
We're unpredictable. We make mistakes and we disappoint.
我们会犯错 会让人失望
Yes, we certainly do.
是的 的确是这样
I'm sorry.
对不起
I'm sorry I'm not the perfect young woman that you want me to be.
对不起 我不是你期望的完美女人
I'm just ordinary.
我是个普通女人
I never tried to pretend that I was anything else.
我从没有装模作样
No, you certainly didn't.
没有 你的确没有
I like the theater,
我喜欢看戏
and dancing...
喜欢跳舞
...and playing tennis. I like games. I like men who play games.
打网球 喜欢玩游戏的男人
God forgive me, that's the way I was brought up.
我没办法 我的家教就是这样的
I play a pretty fierce hand of bridge.
哦 我打桥牌还是有一手的
Oh, well, that's bloody exciting.
那很了不起
And you, you dragged me around all those interminable galleries in Venice...
可你拉着我 在威尼斯逛乏味的画廊
...blathering on about the miracle of the canals...
还喋喋不休说着运河的奇迹
...and the flushing of the lagoon system,
和它的排水系统
or some such nonsense.
或者其它同样无聊的事情
Honestly, I'd have been much happier playing golf at Sandwich.
其实我宁愿去桑威治打高尔夫球
I suppose you're right.
我想你是对的
It was silly of us to look for qualities in each other that we never had.
我们寻找对方缺少的品质太傻了
Yes.
对呀
Yes, it was.
对呀 是很傻
Walter?
沃特
Why didn't you break down that door when you knew
你知道我跟查理在屋子里
I was in there with Charlie?
你为什么不冲进来
You might have at least tried to thrash him.
这样至少可以好好教训他一下
He wasn't worth it.
他不值得
Or maybe I'm just too proud to fight.
也可能我不屑跟人家打架
I don't know about that.
我觉得不是这样的
I've told Mother Superior to keep her sisters inside the convent.
我告诉院长 让修女别离开修道院
I put a guard outside the gate.
我在门外派了士兵
I'd advise any Westerners to stay indoors.
我建议所有外国人都别出门
All right.
好的
Sister, has Mrs. Fane been at the convent today?
修女 费恩太太今天来修道院了吗
Oui, doctor. But she has left a few minutes ago.
是的 医生 但她几分钟前就走了
Sung Ching.
宋青
Let's go.
咱们走
Let's go!
快走
Let's go!
快走
Stop it!
住手
Sung Ching! Where's Mrs. Fane? Where's Mrs. Fane?
宋青 费恩太太呢?她在哪里?
I don't know what you're saying!
我听不懂你说什么
Get away from her.
别靠近她
Are you all right? Yes.
你没事吧
Come on.
我们走吧
We're out of whiskey.
我们没有威士忌了
Dr. Fane.
费恩博士
Could I trouble you for a drink?
麻烦你跟我喝点酒 好吗?
Hello, darling.
你好 亲爱的
I was stationed at Hankow during the revolution...
大革命期间我被派到汉口
...when they were massacring all the Manchus.
情况非常混乱的时候
I was able to help a particular family.
我帮了一家人
New documents, that sort of thing.
帮他们拿到了通行证
She was the youngest of the daughters.
她是她们家里最小的女儿
I didn't pay her too much attention at first.
刚开始我没怎么注意她
Well, more than I should have, I suppose.
不过可能我真的是在意她
When I left Hankow, she followed me.
我离开汉口时她就跟着我出来了
I sent her back two, three times,
我几次送她回去
but she kept coming back.
但她每次都找回来
I didn't realize you had so much affection for her.
没想到你对她的感情这么深
What makes you think I do?
为什么你会这么觉得?
I can see it in your eyes.
我从你的眼神里看出来
Men are incalculable.
男人是变化莫测的
I thought you were just like everybody else...
我觉得你和其他人一样
...and now I feel I don't know the first thing about you.
但现在我觉得一点儿都不了解你
I wonder what she sees in you.
我想知道她喜欢你什么
Wan Xi.
婉丝
She says I'm a good man.
她说我是一个好人
As if a woman ever loved a man for his virtue.
女人不会因为男人品德高尚就爱他
Morning.
Morning.
你早
I should think it best to stay away from town today.
今天最好不要去镇上
All right.
好的
I'm going for a walk.
我要去走一走
Come on, then.
来吧
What on earth are you doing all the way out here?
你到这里来干什么
Walking off a crippling hangover.
散散步 醒醒昨夜的酒
What are you doing?
你呢?
Well, I've been attempting to purchase a stalk of bamboo...
我很想跟这位先生做一笔竹子买卖
...off this fine gentleman here,but his price is exorbitant.
但价格很贵
My head is too shattered to negotiate.
而我的脑筋实在转不动
So
所以
would you like a ride home? On what?
要我载你回家吗? 怎么载?
The buffalo?
骑在水牛背上吗
You see, we're diverting it from these fields temporarily...
你看我们把上游田里的水
...sending it into the center of town,
直接引到镇中心去了
where they can get at it easily.
这样取水就方便多了
It's over a half-mile.
半英里长 有些地方实在很麻烦
It gave us a devil of a time in some places.
但真是值得的
Oh, Mother.
哦 院长
Am I going to die?
我是不是快要死了?
Come, come. You mustn't be so silly.
镇静 镇静点 别这么傻
Listen, ma chère.
听着 亲爱的
Is it possible you are with child?
你有可能怀孕了吗?
No. Oh, yes.
不可能 是的
No. Yes.
不 是的
I mean...
我想
I..
I suppose it's possible.
我想 也有可能
There is no doubt about it.
肯定是这样的
Yes. Sister St. Joseph knew at once.
圣约瑟夫修女一看就知道
She comes from a large family,
她是从大家族里出来的
so she has experience in these matters.
对这种事情很有经验
I can't believe it.
我没办法相信
Why can't you believe it?
为什么不信呢?
Having a child is so natural.
怀孕是很自然的事情
Yes.
很好
Think how happy your husband will be.
想想你先生会有多高兴啊
And what's happened here?
发生了什么事?
I'm all right. They said you fainted.
我没事 他们说你晕倒了
I'm fine. Let me look at you.
没事
It's not cholera.
让我看看 不是霍乱
No. I don't think so.
对 不是
Did you feel nauseous? Or just faint?
你想呕吐或只是发晕
Walter, stop.
沃特 别问了
I'm pregnant.
我怀孕了
A baby?
孩子
You're quite certain?
你肯定
Yes.
是的
Well, that's wonderful.
噢 那太好了
How long do you think you've been like this?
你这样多长时间了
Two months.
两个月
Maybe longer.
也许更长
Kitty.
也许更长
Am I the father?
我是孩子的父亲吗
I honestly don't know.
我真的不知道
I'm sorry.
对不起
Well...
...it doesn't matter now...
现在不重要了
...does it?
不是吗?
No.
是的
No, it doesn't.
不重要了
Dr. Fane?
费恩医生
Come with me.
跟我来
What is this? Where are they coming from?
这是什么他们从哪儿来的
The cholera spread south along the river.
霍乱沿着河蔓延到南边
They have no doctors or facilities there.
那里没任何医生或医疗设施
They'll contaminate everything.
如果他们来镇子又会感染霍乱
We've got to keep them outside town.
我们必须把他们挡在城外
Dr. Fane.
费恩医生
Dr. Fane!
费恩医生
Stop. Stop.
停下停下
Stop.
停下来
Stop here. We can help you here.
请停下来 我们可以在这儿帮你们
Colonel, tell them not to go into town!
团长 请告诉他们不要进城
We'll help here!
告诉他们我们会在这里救治他们
Mrs. Fane. Gather all the children in the music room.
费恩太太 把孩子们带进音乐教室
Wait here.
在这儿等等
Let's go.
快走
That boy,
那男孩把他带过来
bring him here. Bring him in.
他在流血 我给他处理一下
I don't understand.
我不明白
Why didn't he wake me?
他为什么不叫醒我
He made an early start, and you needed the rest.
他一太早就走了 而你需要多休息
How far is the refugee camp?
难民营有多远?
Just outside the town, in the foothills.
就在城外的山脚下
Dr. Fane told me he wanted you to leave, but you would not.
你先生说 他叫你离开 但你不肯走
I didn't want to leave you.
我不想离开你们
Yes, and we appreciate it, dear child.
我们很感谢你这样做 不过
But I think you did not want to leave him either.
我想你也不愿意离开他
Well, it's my duty.
嗯 那是我的职责
Duty is only washing your hands when they are dirty.
职责不过是手脏了要洗干净
I fell in love when I was 17,
我十七岁时就恋爱了
with God.
爱上了上帝
A foolish girl with romantic notions
一个傻姑娘
about the life of a religious.
对宗教生涯有着浪漫的幻想
But my love was passionate.
但我的爱是那么热烈
Over the years my feelings have changed.
随着时间流逝我的情感改变了
He's disappointed me. Ignored me.
他让我失望 他忽视我
We've settled into a relationship of peaceful indifference.
我们之间已经变得漠不关心
The old husband and wife who sit side by side on the sofa,
像老夫妇总并肩坐在沙发上
but rarely speak.
但很少跟对方说话
He knows I will never leave him.
他知道我永远不会离开他
This is my duty.
这是我的职责
But when love and duty are one,
但当爱和责任合二为一
then grace is within you.
恩典便与你同在
Your soldier is waiting to take you back.
保护你的士兵等着带你回去
I'd rather stay.
我想留下来
No.
不行
What? What is it?
怎么啦 什么事?
What?
怎么啦
Mrs. Fane?
费恩太太
Mr. Waddington?
维廷顿先生
It's your husband.
您的先生
What? What is it?
他怎么啦?
He's been taken ill.
他病倒了
Where is he?
他在哪儿?
Mrs. Fane.
费恩太太
Walter. Oh, no.
沃特
She can't be here.
哦 不 她不能在这儿
It's not safe.Waddington.
这里不安全 维廷顿
I'm afraid I've got no say in the matter.
恐怕我说什么也不管用
I don't want an audience.
我不想让别人看见我这样
You have to go.
请你先出去一下
Your baby.
您的孩子
Please, you must go.
请离开吧
Walter, tell me what I should do.
沃特 告诉我该怎么办
Slow that drip down. It's running too fast.
把点滴调慢一点 输得太快了
Good, good.
好 好了
Kitty? Kitty.
吉蒂 吉蒂
It's going to get much worse before it breaks.
好转之前会变得严重得多
Are you prepared for this?
你能受得了吗?
Yes.
是的
What is it?
怎么啦?
Can you send for more?
不能多要一点吗?
Kitty.
吉蒂
Kitty.
吉蒂
Are you awake?
啊 你醒啦
Are you feeling better?
你感觉好点了吗
Forgive me.
请原谅我
Forgive you?
原谅你?
There's nothing to forgive.
没什么需要原谅的
Walter...
沃特
...l'm sorry.
对不起
I'm so sorry.
我非常抱歉
Mrs. Fane?
费恩太太
Dr. Fane would want to be buried immediately.
费恩医生肯定希望尽快入土
Yes, of course.
是的 当然
What are you doing?
你在干什么?
It's silly, really.
看来是有一点儿傻
They'll die in a week.
它们不到一周就会枯萎
It's hardly worth the cost.
不值得
What do you think?
你觉得呢?
I think they're quite nice.
我觉得它们很好看
Really?
真的
I think you're right.
我想你说对了
Come on.
走吧
We better hurry. Grandfather's waiting.
咱们赶紧走外公在等着呢
Kitty Fane?
吉蒂·费恩
As I live and breathe.
我的天啊
Hello, Charlie.
您好 查理
What are you doing in London?
您怎么在伦敦?
I know it's been a long time.
时间过了这么久了
I should have written.
本来应该给您写信的
Who's this fine chap? Hello, young man.
这个帅小伙是谁呀?你好 小伙子
What's your name?
你叫什么?
Walter.
沃特
Hello, Walter. I'm Charlie Townsend.
你好 沃特 我叫查理·唐森
How old are you?
你几岁啦?
Five.
五岁
Five.Come on, darling.We should really press on.
走吧 亲爱的 我们得走了
Yes, of course. Well, it's...
好吧 当然
...lovely seeing you again.
能再次见到您很高兴
And you.
我也是
Goodbye, Walter.
再见 沃特
Goodbye.
再见
Kitty.
吉蒂
I'm in London for three weeks. Perhaps we could...
这三周我都在伦敦 也许我们
Goodbye, Mr. Townsend.
再见 唐森先生
Goodbye, Mrs. Fane.
再见 费恩太太
Who was that, Mommy?
妈咪 他是谁?
No one important, darling.
谁也不是 亲爱的