万物理论 The Theory of Everything

上映日期: 2,014

语言: 英语 / 法语 / 拉丁语

影片类型: 剧情 / 爱情 / 传记

导演: 詹姆斯·马什

演员: 埃迪·雷德梅恩 / 菲丽希缇·琼斯 / 大卫·休里斯 / 艾米丽·沃森 / 查理·考克斯 / 哈里·劳埃德 / 艾丽丝·奥尔尤因 / 玛克辛·皮克 / 亚当·戈德利 / 西蒙·迈克伯尼 / 阿比盖尔·


台词
翻译:somehacker 彼岸荼蘼
校对:somehacker
时间轴:式微 大喷子 讷讷
后期:somehacker
更多影片·关注@懒死放映室
万物理论
1963年 英格兰 剑桥
Well, come on!
快点
Come on, old man.
快点 老头子
Coming into Trinity Lane!
进入三一路
Eyes on the road, Brian.
看着点路 布莱恩
Brian spies an opening!
布莱恩找到了空隙
Eyes on the staff!
看着点
Hawking's lost it!
霍金要输了
No!
不要
You lose, Brian.
你输了 布莱恩
Too slow, old man.
太慢了 老头子
Too slow.
太慢了
Oh, my goodness. Right.
我的天哪
Time for a drink, yeah. Hello.
该喝酒了 你好啊
What if the secret of the universe has something to do with sex.
要是宇宙的奥秘跟性有关
Maybe do your doctorate on that? The physics of love.
你博士论文就写这个吧 爱之物理学
- I think that's more your field, Brian. - Not lately.
-那是你的研究领域吧 -最近没怎么研究了
They will boot you out, you know, if you don't decide.
你要是再定不下来 就要被请出去了
I know everybody here who's... brilliant.
我认识这里所有的...棒极了
Oh, dear, scientists!
居然是科学家们
Don't worry, we don't have to stay long...
别担心 不会待太久的
looks mortifyingly dull.
简直无聊到死
- Bores. - Who's that?
-没劲 -那是谁
Who's who? Oh, him?
哪个 他吗
He's strange, clever, goes to "Ban the Bomb" marches.
他挺怪的 也挺聪明 去了抗议核游行[1960年代]
Wilde. Jane Wilde.
王尔德 简·王尔德
Oh, there's David... David?
大卫在那 大卫
- I'll be back in a minute. I'll be back in a second. - Diana! Diana!
-我马上回来 马上回来 -戴安娜
- Hello. - Hello.
-你好 -你好
- Science? - Arts.
-理学吗 -文学
- English. - French and Spanish.
-英语 -法语及西班牙语
What about you? What are you?
那你呢 你学什么的
- Cosmologist, I'm a cosmologist. - What's that?
-宇宙学家 我是个宇宙学家 -那是什么
It's a kind of religion for
就是特别聪明的 不信上帝的人
- intelligent atheists. - Intelligent atheists?
-信的宗教 -聪明的不信上帝的
You're not religious, are you?
你不信教吧
C Of E.
国教
- Church of England. - England, yes.
-就是英国国教[圣公会] -是啊
I suppose someone has to be.
总得有个信教的
So, what do cosmologists worship then?
那宇宙学家信奉什么呢
What do we worship?
信奉什么
One single unifying equation
用一个统一的方程
that explains everything in the universe.
来解释宇宙万物
- Really. - Yes.
-是吗 -是
What's the equation?
是什么方程
That is the question.
问题就在这
And a very good question. I'm not quite sure yet.
这个问题非常好 我还不清楚
But I intend to find out.
但我想研究出来
Then why didn't you stay at Oxford?
那你为什么不留在牛津
Because my finals exams were such a shambles
因为我的期末考试考得一塌糊涂
that the examiners they settled me in for a "Viva",
他们叫我参加个口试
- And they told me that if I go up a second... - What's a "Viva"?
-他们说如果我拿到二等 -口试是什么
It's a sort of, mildly terrifying face-to-face thingy.
有点恐怖 跟人面对面坐下来什么的
- Like an interview? - An interrogation.
-面试吗 -审讯吧
And I told them that if they gave me a 2nd class degree
我告诉他们 如果给我二等学位[参考片尾注释]
then I'd stay with them and do my research at Oxford,
我就得留在牛津做研究
but if they gave me the 1st, I needed to get into Cambridge,
如果给我一等学位 我就能去剑桥了
then they would never have to see me again.
他们就能永远甩掉我了
They gave you the 1st.
所以他们给了你一等
They gave me the 1st.
没错
- Of course. - This party is officially deceased.
-是啊 -派对已经正式结束了
Come on, I've fixed you up a ride home.
来吧 我找辆车送你回家
Come on, Jane...
走啊 简
Jane?
- Well, it was lovely to talk to you. - Yes.
-跟你聊天很开心 -我也是
And... I hope you find your equation.
还有 希望你能找到那个方程
Yes... oh...
是啊
- Bye. - Bye.
-再见 -再见
Stephen?
斯蒂芬
Well, then, here we are,
来看看这个
a little challenge for you all,
给你们的小测试
as you embark upon your separate doctoral journeys...
在你们踏上学术研究之路时...
whatever they may be, Mr. Hawking.
不管你们打算研究什么 霍金先生
Pass them down.
传下去
Something to separate the men from the boys,
来看看你们是男人还是男孩
the wheat from the chaff,
是粮食还是糟糠
the mesons from the pi-mesons, the quarks from the quacks.
介子还是π介子 真夸克[基本粒子之一]还是假行家
Ten questions, each more impregnable than the last.
十个问题 一个比一个难
Good luck, you'll need it. Shall we say Friday at 3 o'clock?
祝你们好运吧 周五三点再见
This is going to hospitalize me.
我要做到瘫痪了
And one, drive!
一 划
Two, drive!
二 划
Three, drive!
三 划
Stay long, Brian. I'll give you something long.
坚持住 布莱恩 给你喊个持久的
Stay long, Brian. Keep long, Brian!
坚持住 布莱恩 加把劲 布莱恩
Shut up!
闭嘴
- Long, Brian! - I'm exhausted.
-撑住啊 布莱恩 -累死了
Stay long, Brian!
坚持住 布莱恩
Flip it, flip it! Wiggs.
弹它 弹它 该死
Somebody else for once.
换个人好吗
- Can I get two more of those, please? - Yeah, sure.
-再来两杯这个 -好啊
- And some change for payphone, Sir. - Yeah.
-换点零钱打个电话 -好的
- Steve, you all right, mate? - Jane.
-斯蒂夫 你没事吧 -简
You'll never guess who I saw with him the other day... Caroline.
猜我那天碰到他跟谁在一起 卡罗琳
For heaven's sake, she can save him, quite frankly.
快把他留住吧 别放出来吓人
What's the probability?
这概率有多大
Reasonably low.
小的不得了
Uh... this is... this is Stephen.
这个 这是斯蒂芬
- Do you play croquet? - Croquet?
-你玩槌球吗 -槌球
Not recently.
有阵子没玩了
Sunday morning.
周日早上
I'm actually busy on Sunday mornings.
我周日早上有事
Oh... Him.
是啊 跟上帝[做礼拜]
Okay.
好吧
Anyway, before I was completely interrupted...
好吧 接着之前的说...
Oh, come on, get up! How many did you get?
快起床 你做出了几个
- Morning, Brian. - Good afternoon, Stephen.
-早上好 布莱恩 -下午好 斯蒂芬
How many of the impossible questions did you do?
那几个超级难问题你做出几个
Brian, I have no idea what you're talking about.
布莱恩 你在说什么啊
How many of Sciama's questions did you get, Stephen?
夏玛的问题 你做出几个 斯蒂芬
- None. - You didn't get any?
-没做 -一个没做吗
I was going to do them later.
我一会再做
You haven't even looked at them.
你看都没看
No.
没看
Stephen, are you aware that
斯蒂芬 你知道自己
you've voluntarily embarked on a PhD in physics?
是自愿攻读物理学博士学位的吧
At the most prestigious college in England?
还是在英国最顶尖的大学里
Yes.
知道
Oh! Thought maybe you'd slept through the induction or something.
还以为入学典礼时候你睡着了呢
Bri?
布莱恩
- What? - Can you whip on some Wagner?
-怎么了 -放段瓦格纳吧
Sod off!
一边去
- Come in, Stephen. - Sorry.
-请进 斯蒂芬 -抱歉
Michael, that's so illegible
迈克 你这乱成一坨
I can't quite decipher how wrong it is, I suspect enormously,
我也不知道你错了多少 估计是不少
and Brian... that's just baffling.
布莱恩 看不懂你写的什么
- Have you even bothered to? - Oh, sorry.
-您受累做了没 -抱歉
Train time tables.
列车时刻表
It's certainly unacceptable, these expired a month ago.
这怎么行 这时刻表都过期了
It's on the back, I had a little accident.
在背面 我出了点事
I could only do nine.
只能做出九个
Well... oh... thank God... Bravo...
好吧 谢天谢地 真棒
Nine?
九个
Come in.
请进
Oh, Stephen, take a seat.
斯蒂芬 坐吧
I wanted to talk to you about your subject.
我想谈谈你的课题
We're all rather concerned as to what it's going to be.
我们都等着你决定研究方向呢
I can't decide.
我定不下来
Do you have any ideas?
有什么想法吗
No.
没有
So...
好了...
This is where J.J. Thomson discovered the electron,
汤普森在这发现了电子[1897年]
and where Rutherford split the atom.
卢瑟福在这分裂了原子核[1909年]
You know, one of the great rewards of this job is one never knows
在剑桥搞研究的好处就是 你永远都不知道
from where the next great
谁 在哪里
leap forward is going to come, or from whom.
能搞出个重大发现来
Listen, next Friday, I'm taking a few graduates of merit to London,
下周五 我要带几个优秀研究生去伦敦
to attend a talk by the mathematician Roger Penrose.
参加数学家罗杰·彭罗斯的讲座
You come along... if you're interested.
你也来吧 如果有兴趣的话
Oh, and close the door as you leave.
走的时候记得关门
So, I gather you've never been to church?
听说你从没去过教堂
Once upon a time.
很久以前去过
Tempted to convert?
想信教吗
I have a slight problem with the whole Celestial Dictator premise.
我不太信这种统领万物的神
Now, what are you doing for lunch? Ma makes a cracking roast.
你午饭有安排吗 我妈烤的肉特别好吃
So, Jane, what are you studying?
简 你是学什么的
- Arts. - Sprouts?
-文学 -要球甘蓝吗
Thank you.
谢谢
French and Spanish, and hoping to do a PhD eventually.
法语和西班牙语 毕业希望继续读博
Oh, one arm.
哪个方向呢
Medieval poetry of the Iberian Peninsula.
中世纪伊波利亚半岛诗歌
Medieval poets... What painters do you like?
中世纪诗歌...你喜欢哪位画家
- Well, I like Turner. - Turner, really?
-我喜欢特纳 -特纳吗
You know, I always feel that his paintings
我一直觉得他的画
look as if they've been left out in the rain.
像被暴雨浇过似的
And... William Blake.
还有 威廉·布雷克
- Jane, have some of my elderflower wine. - Yes, yes, thank you.
-简 来尝尝我的接骨木酒 -谢谢
Don't touch it, don't touch it, Jane.
别试 别试 简
Thank you. Mother?
谢谢 他妈呢
Stephen doesn't like my homemade wine...philistine.
斯蒂芬不喜欢我自己酿的酒 真没品味
I'm going to send you back with a couple of bottles.
给你塞几瓶带回学校
So, Stephen, you have come from church with a good woman.
斯蒂芬 你和这位善良的女士去了教堂
Are you feeling holier than thou?
觉得自己圣洁吗
Positively saintly... thank you.
非常圣洁 谢谢
You haven't said why you don't believe in God.
你还没说自己为什么不信上帝
A physicist can't allow his calculations
物理学家的研究
to be muddled by a belief in a supernatural creator.
不能受超自然的创世主影响
Sounds less of an argument against God than against physicists.
听着好像是物理学家的问题啊
Light or dark?
鸡胸还是鸡腿
- Jane, light meat or dark? - Light, please.
-简 鸡胸还是鸡腿 -鸡胸 谢谢
I'm inviting Jane to be my partner to the May ball.
我要请简做我五月舞会[剑桥传统]的舞伴
Really! Very impressive!
真的吗 真棒
You'll have to dance this year Stephen.
你要跳舞了 斯蒂芬
Make way for my mother's leg, here we go.
你妈烤的鸡腿 好了
Hello.
你好
Hello.
你好
- Sorry. - Are you okay?
-抱歉 -你没事吧
- Do you dance, Stephen? - No.
-跳舞吧 -不跳
No, I don't dance.
不跳了
I don't. It's a phenomenon I'm very happy to observe,
我不跳 虽然我很喜欢看别人跳
but I can't possibly imagine participating.
但我自己是不会跳的
I absolutely agree. I mean, who would want to dance?
我也这么想的 谁愿意跳舞啊
No, I'm serious, I don't dance.
说真的 我不跳舞
No dancing then.
那就不跳了
Do you see how the men's shirt-fronts
你看男生的衬衫前胸
and their bow ties, how they glow more than the womens' dresses?
还有领结 比女生的礼服还闪亮
- Yes. - Do you know why?
-是啊 -知道为什么吗
- Why? - Tide.
-为什么 -汰渍
The washing powder.
洗衣粉
The fluorescence in the washing powder is caught by the UV light.
洗衣粉里的荧光物质在紫外线照射下发光
Why do you know that?
你怎么知道的
When stars are born and when they die, they emit UV radiation.
恒星诞生和毁灭时 会辐射出紫外线
So, if we could see the night sky in ultraviolet light,
如果只能看到夜空里的紫外线
then almost all the stars would disappear
现在的星星就都不见了
and all that we would see are these spectacular births and deaths.
只剩下恒星壮丽的诞生和毁灭
- I reckon it would look a little... - Like that.
-我觉得应该... -就像这个
- So, why? - Why what?
-为什么 -什么为什么
Why Spanish medieval poetry?
为什么要研究中世纪西班牙诗歌
I suppose I like to time travel...
应该是我喜欢穿越时空吧...
...like you.
...像你一样
Are there any particular time periods that you'd like to visit?
有哪段时空是你特别想去的吗
- The imagine it's the Twenties. - The Roaring Twenties?
-二十年代吧 -咆哮的二十年代吗[1920 北美]
"Seek, then, No learning from starry men,
"不要在天文学家那找寻知识
耶茨 《The Song of the Happy Shepherd》
"Who follow with the optic glass
"他们只是用望远镜
"The whirling ways of stars that pass."
"追随恒星纷飞的路径"
Bravo!
真棒
Well, that's astonishing, isn't it?
真壮观啊
"In the beginning was the heaven and the earth,
"创世之初 只有天地
"and the earth was without form,
"大地混沌 没有定型
"And darkness was upon the face of the deep."
"黑暗笼罩着深渊"
Will you dance with me?
和我共舞一曲吧
The train now departing from platform three is
三号站台 前往伦敦国王十字车站的列车
the nine-seventeen service to London King's Cross.
将于九点十七发车
Come on, Stephen. Get a move on.
快点 斯蒂芬 快点
What's wrong with you, man? Chop-chop.
怎么了你 快上来
A star, more than three times the size of our sun...
一颗恒星 体积是太阳的三倍多
ought to end its life, how? With a collapse.
就要走到尽头 怎么结束呢 坍缩
The gravitational forces of the entire mass
整颗恒星的引力
overcoming the electromagnetic forces of individual atoms,
克服了原子之间的斥力
and so collapsing inwards.
向内坍缩
If the star is massive enough, it will continue this collapse,
如果质量足够大 还会继续坍缩
creating a black hole, where the warping of space-time
形成一个黑洞 翘曲了时空
is so great that nothing can escape... not even light.
什么都逃不出去 包括光
It gets... smaller... smaller.
变得越来越小 越小
The star, in fact, gets denser, as atoms,
恒星的密度越来越大
even subatomic particles get literally crushed into smaller and smaller space.
原子 甚至原子内的粒子都被压缩了
And at its end point what are we left with?
那最终 我们得到了什么
A space time singularity.
时空奇点
Space and time come to a stop.
时空在这里停止
I wonder what would happen if you applied
我在想 如果把彭罗斯的理论
Penrose's theory about black holes to the entire universe?
从黑洞推广到整个宇宙呢
If Einstein is right,
如果爱因斯坦是对的
or if general relativity is correct,
或者说广义相对论是对的
then the universe is expanding, yes?
那宇宙是在膨胀的 对吧
- Yes. - Okay, so...
-对 -好了
If you reverse time, then the universe is getting smaller.
如果时光倒流 宇宙就是在缩小
- All right. - So...
-没错 -那么
What if I reverse the process all the way back
如果一路倒退回去
to see what happened at the beginning of Time itself?
回到时间的起点呢
- The beginning of Time itself? - Yes.
-时间的起点 -对
The universe, getting smaller and smaller,
宇宙越来越小
getting denser and denser, hotter and hotter as...
密度越来越大 温度越来越高
As you wind back the clock.
随着时间的倒流
- Exactly, you wind back the clock. - Wind back the clock.
-没错 时光倒流 -时光倒流
Is that what you're doing? Are you winding back the clock?
你是想让时光倒流吗[逆时针]
That's what I'm doing.
没错
Well, keep winding! You've got quite a way to go! Keep winding.
继续转 还有好久呢 继续转
I don't want to fall in.
我怕掉进去
Well, you've got to go back to the beginning of time.
你得回到时间的起点
You've got a long way to go, so, keep winding, keep winding!
可有你转的 接着转 别停
Until you get...
直到...
A singularity.
奇点
A space-time singularity,
时空奇点
so the universe born from a black hole exploding.
宇宙源自黑洞的爆炸
- Keep going. - What do you mean, "Keep going", what...
-继续 -继续什么
before the universe began?
宇宙起源之前吗
No, no, no, no! Keep going, develop the mathematics!
不是 继续 用数学方法解决
Okay, all right. Very good.
好了 好了
Push it as hard as you can! Push it, push it!
用力顶 用力顶
- As hard as you can. - I am pushing as hard as I can.
-用力 -我用力了
Why... count 1... 1, 2... 1, 2...
怎么... 一 二 一 二
Why won't it...
怎么不...
All right, all right.
好了
Fourth finger, fourth peg.
无名指 第四个夹子
It's called motor neuron disease.
是运动神经元病
It's a progressive neurological disorder
神经元逐步失调
that destroys the cells in the brain that control essential muscle activity,
导致控制肌肉运动的脑细胞受损
such as...
比如
Speaking, walking, breathing, swallowing
讲话 行走 呼吸 吞咽
The signals that muscles must receive in order to move are disrupted.
控制肌肉运动的电信号收到了干扰
The result is... gradual muscle decay, wasting away.
结果就是肌肉逐步萎缩
Eventually, the ability to
最终彻底地
control voluntary movement is... lost... entirely.
丧失运动能力
I'm afraid average life expectancy is two years.
平均寿命是发病后两年
There's nothing I can do for you.
我也无能为力
What about the brain?
大脑呢
The brain isn't affected, you're thoughts won't change.
大脑不受影响 你的思想依然在
It's... just that...
就是
Well, eventually, no one will know what they are.
到最后 没人能知道你在想什么了
I'm ever so sorry.
非常抱歉
Welcome to this week's episode of "The Natural World",
欢迎收看本周的自然世界
where this week we explore the bizarre hibernation patterns
这次 我们找到了剑桥的一位杰出物理学家
of the rare Cambridge Physicist,
研究他的冬眠规律
seen here in his remarkable plumage..."
就是盛装的这位
So, how was it? What did they say, how's your wrist?
怎么样 他们怎么说的 你的手腕怎么样
I have a disease, Bri.
我病了 布莱恩
Is it venereal... Stephen?
是花柳病吗 斯蒂芬
I have motor neuron disease.
是运动神经元病
Sorry, I don't...
不好意思
It's Lou Gehrig's disease, he's a baseball player.
卢·葛雷克病 他是个棒球运动员
Sorry, I'm lagging behind in my pioneering research into
不好意思 神经运动 棒球什么的病
obscure, motor, baseball related diseases.
我还没深入研究过
- I have two years to live. - Sorry?
-我还剩两年 -什么
It does sound odd when you say it out loud, doesn't it?
大声说出来就不那么怪了是吧
Whatchya mean? No, you don't.
什么意思 不可能
What did... what did... what...
他们 他们
what did they say? Sorry, I... I don't really...
他们怎么说的 我刚没仔细...
Will you go, Brian?
走吧 布莱恩
Stephen, I was just being a berk...
斯蒂芬 我就是闹着玩
I didn't... I'm so... I'll be...
我没...我肯定...
You go.
走吧
Stephen, phone for you. It's a girl.
斯蒂芬 找你的电话 是个姑娘
- I'll see you soon. - Yes.
-回头见 -好的
She's waiting.
她在等着呢
Stephen?
斯蒂芬
Jane. Jane!
简 简
- Jane! - Brian.
-简 -布莱恩
Hello. Sorry... I'm...
真抱歉 我
Why don't you sit down.
坐下吧
I'm so sorry.
真抱歉
I spoke to Stephen, uh, yesterday,
我昨天跟斯蒂芬谈过
and I know that you called him...
我知道你给他打过电话
Something educational?
有教育意义吗
Very.
非常有
John is having an affair with Martha,
约翰跟玛莎有外遇
but Martha is in love with Alan,
可玛莎爱着阿兰
and I think that Alan is probably homosexual,
不过阿兰应该是同性恋
by the look of his jumper, so, well, I'm just trying
看他的毛衣 我呢 我在尽力
to work out the mathematical probability of happiness.
计算他们幸福的可能性
Are you close?
要算出来了吗
It's some integer of zero, but, no, I'm not quite there yet.
应该是零点几 不过还差着远呢
- Stephen. - You just missed him.
-斯蒂芬 -他刚走
He was here earlier.
之前还在这
Don't do this.
别这样
Go!
走吧
Croquet.
槌球
Play a game with me.
跟我打一场
Go!
快走
If you don't get up and play a game with me...
你要是不站起来跟我打一场
I won't come back here again...
我就不回来了
...ever.
永远不来了
Come on!
来吧
Leave me now.
你走吧
Are you going to talk about this or not?
你不想谈谈吗
- Will you please just go? - Is that what you want?
-快走不好吗 -你想要我走吗
Yes, it is what I want, so, please,
是 我想要你走 走吧
if you care about me all, then, please, just go!
你要是还在乎我 就走吧
- I can't. - I have two years to live.
-不行 -我只剩两年了
- I need to work. - I love you.
-我还要工作 -我爱你
You've... you've leapt to... that's a false conclusion...
你这 你得出了错误结论
I want us to be together, for as long as we've got,
我要和你在一起 有多就是多久
and if that's not very long then, well,
时间不长的话
that's just how it is... it'll have to do.
也没事 两年也够
You don't know what's coming. It'll affect everything.
你不知道会怎么样 我的一切都受影响
Your glasses are always dirty.
你眼镜总是这么脏
There.
好了
That's better, isn't it?
好多了吧
Yes.
Yes, it is.
是啊
Now the solutions to the Schrodinger
在盒子边缘
equation must vanish at the boundary of the box, so we have...
薛定谔方程是无解的 所以...
Time!
时间
Time, that's your subject?
你的课题是时间吗
Any aspect in particular?
有具体方向吗
Time.
就是时间
Come in, come in.
请进 请进
I don't think you realize what lies ahead, Jane.
你应该不知道自己面对的是什么 简
His life is going to be very short.
他的寿命非常短
So, be careful, the weight of science is against you.
要小心 你是在和科学作对
And this will not be a fight, Jane.
而且你没有抗争的机会
This is going to be a very heavy defeat...
我们都会被打败
...for all of us.
...所有人
I know what you all think... that...
我知道你们都怎么想
That I don't look a terribly strong person.
觉得我不是很坚强
But I love him.
可我爱他
And he loves me.
他也爱我
We're going to fight this illness together...
我们要一起抗争...
...all of us.
...大家一起
Good luck.
祝你好运
- Good morning, Stephen. - Good morning, professor.
-早上好 斯蒂芬 -早上好 教授
I know, I know...
我知道 我知道
- ...got to be a little more elegant. - Yes, that's what...
-...方程要更优雅一点 -是啊
I understand...
我懂...
Come in, Stephen.
进来吧 斯蒂芬
I know it's something we're all worried about initially.
我知道 一开始都担心这个
But I knew, Roger...
但我知道 罗杰
you had some reservation about it in the early days.
你之前也是有所保留的
斯蒂芬·霍金
Yes, but it's not uncommon in any theory.
没错 但不是每个原理都这样
Yes.
是的
Very well, very well. We'll see.
等着瞧吧
- Welcome, Stephen. - Morning.
-欢迎 斯蒂芬 -早上好
- Would you like to take a seat? - No, I'm fine, thank you.
-请坐吧 -不用 谢谢
You're sure?
确定吗
So, so Stephen... in summary.
好吧 斯蒂芬 总体来说
As we know, chapter one, full of holes.
第一章 漏洞百出
Lacks mathematical support.
缺乏数理支持
- Professor Thorne. - Chapter Two, not really original.
-基普·索恩教授 -第二章 算不上原创
Uses a lot of Roger's ideas.
用了不少罗杰的观点
Well, at least you run with them.
至少你还支持我的观点
Chapter three, too many unanswered questions.
第三章 留了太多疑问
I agree.
没错
And then, of course, we have chapter four,
当然了 还有第四章
this black hole at the beginning of time.
时间起点的黑洞
- Space-time singularity? - Indeed.
-时空奇点 -没错
It's brilliant!
太棒了
Brilliant.
太棒了
Superb!
棒极了
And therefore, all that remains to be said is: Well done!
那么只剩下一句话了 做得不错
Or perhaps, I should say, to be more precise:
或者准确点说
- Well done, Doctor! - Bravo, Stephen.
-做的不错 博士 -漂亮 斯蒂芬
An extraordinary theory.
这理论真不错
Thank you.
谢谢
- So what next? - Prove it.
-然后呢 -证明它
To prove, with a single equation, that time had a beginning.
用一个方程证明 时间是有起点的
Wouldn't that be nice, Professor?
是不是很棒 教授
With one simple elegant equation
一个简单 优美的方程
to explain everything?
来解释万物
Yes, it would. It would indeed.
是啊 肯定很棒
Thank you.
谢谢
To the esteemed, and formidable...
敬受人尊敬的 能力超群的
- Doctor. - Who?
-博士 -谁[神秘博士]
Doctor Stephen Hawking.
斯蒂芬·霍金博士
Doctor Stephen Hawking.
敬斯蒂芬·霍金博士
Thank you, Jane.
谢谢 简
It is astonishing that he's the first person
真神奇 他是第一个没怎么努力
to receive his doctorate bearing in mind how little work he's be doing.
就拿到博士学位的人
"Work" Was the worst four-letter word for Stephen.
努力是霍金最讨厌的词
Even at Oxford,
甚至在牛津
especially, he averaged an hour, an HOUR a day he averaged.
他平均每天只学习一个小时 一个小时
- And that it is. It's Stephen... - It's astonishing on the level sloth.
-就这样 斯蒂芬就是... -比树獭倒是勤快不少
I've got...
我还...
on the theme of sloth, Brian.
说到树獭 布莱恩
How many of your
过去六个月
letters have I covered in the last six months?
我帮你们上了多少课
When you've been doing research trips up to the Lake District?
你们去湖区搞研究时候
- Absolutely, completely... - So have I!
-你们真是... -我也是
- How many? - Four.
-多少 -四次
- Everything all right? - I'm good... I'm fine.
-没事吧 -没事 我没事
What can you do?
你能怎么办
- Business or pleasure? - For pleasure.
-公差还是私事 -私事
Hi, Robbie.
你好啊 罗比
It's ok, Robbie.
没事 罗比
This...is...
只...是...
temporary.
暂时的
Of course.
是啊
Well, it's convenient for breakfast!
方便吃早饭了
Thank you.
谢谢
Sorry, did you say something?
你刚说什么了
I said...
我说...
Yes?
什么
Thank you.
谢谢
She looks like you.
长得像你
Look at you!
看看你
Go, Jane.
去吧 简
I'll be one second.
马上回来
Luce, Lucy.
露西 宝贝
Jane.
Stephen.
斯蒂芬
I've got an idea.
我有了个想法
I said I've had an idea.
我说我有了个想法
- Hello. - Hi, Dennis.
-你好 -你好 丹尼斯
- Hello, Dennis. - Hi.
-你好 丹尼斯 -你好
Okay, good luck.
好了 好运
He'll be fine, he'll be fine.
他没事的 他没事的
- Sorry. - No problem.
-抱歉 -没关系
...allowing us to predict that
...我们可以推断
some particles can in fact escape a black hole.
有些粒子 是可以逃离黑洞的
The black holes are not, in fact, black at all,
黑洞 并不是那么黑的
but glow with heat radiation.
它散发着热辐射
The steady emission of
也就是说黑洞
heat energy causes the black holes to lose mass,
在稳定地辐射热能 导致损失质量
and eventually they disappear in a spectacular explosion.
最终以爆炸的方式消失
It's very, very simple, in the way that a body loses heat...
非常 非常简单 像人体辐射热能一样
Second law of thermodynamics.
热力学第二定理
- He's right, it's thermodynamics. - In... in...
-没错 热力学 -就在...
If we can imagine that the black hole is, indeed,
想象一下 如果的确
losing particles, then,
有粒子不断逃离黑洞
over time it will diminish in size, it will evaporate.
那假以时日 黑洞的体积就会减小 会蒸发
- It will... - Disappear.
-然后 -消失
So...
所以
First a star vanishes into a black hole,
首先 恒星消失 坍缩成黑洞
but then the black hole itself vanishes...
然后 黑洞也消失了...
Gone! Nothing!
消失 虚无
- From nothing to nothing. - You owe me another beer.
-从虚无到虚无 -你欠我杯啤酒
I have just shown you that our
我刚告诉你
friend has proven that time, indeed has a beginning.
我们的朋友证明了时间是有起点的
Not only that, how the universe was born, and how it will end.
不仅是这个 还有宇宙如何出现 如何消亡
- Bang! - Crunch!
-砰 -咔嚓
It's beautiful! It's racy!
多美 多生动
Complete nonsense. It's preposterous.
真荒唐 胡言乱语
Was it something I said, professor?
是因为我说的东西吗 教授
Excuse me.
抱歉
My name...
我叫
My name is Professor Khalatnikov.
我是卡拉提诺夫教授
from Soviet Academy of Sciences.
来自苏维埃理工学院
As you know, my field is evolution of the hot universe,
我的研究领域 是热宇宙的演化
the properties of the microwave background radiation,
宇宙微波背景辐射的性质
and theory of the black holes.
还有黑洞理论
To be honest...
说实话...
I came here today...
我今天来...
...expecting to hear a lot of nonsense.
...就是想听胡言乱语的
I go home disappointed.
然后失望地回家
The little one here... has done it.
这位小伙子做到了
He has done it!
他做到了
It has been a pleasure to meet you,
见到你真荣幸
- Professor. - My pleasure, my pleasure.
-教授 -我才荣幸
Thank you.
谢谢
Well done, Stephen!
漂亮 斯蒂芬
- That went pretty well, all considered. - I was worried for awhile.
-还算顺利嘛 -我还有点担心
Hawking radiation! The little one has done it!
霍金辐射 这位小伙子做到了
The little one has done it!
这位小伙子做到了
- Come on, Genius! - Oh, very funny!
-快点 天才 -真好笑
You've had enough of that, Old Man.
就推你到这了 老头子
Come on, codger. 1, 2, 3...
用力 小子 1 2 3
God! How does Jane manage?
天哪 简是怎么做到的
Stephen, your Motor "Mouth" Disease, does it effect...
斯蒂芬 你那个运动口腔什么的病 会不会影响...
What?
什么
Everything?
一切
What? No.
什么 不会
Different system... automatic.
另一条回路 自动的
You serious?
真的吗
Well, that's a pretty wonderful, isn't it?
那还算不错嘛
Well, it certainly explains a lot about men.
难怪男人都是那德行
Hurry up! Come on!
快点
Please.
快来
霍金辐射
- What's in there? - It's a surprise!
-里面有什么 -惊喜
Right.
好了
Keep them closed.
别睁开
Look, Daddy, look!
爸爸 快看
That is an electric wheelchair.
这是电动轮椅
If you don't like it, we can take it back.
不喜欢的话可以退回去
I don't understand...
我不明白...
you've spent years assuming black holes exist, and
你花了好多年假设黑洞存在
you believe Cygnus X-1 could well turn out to be
你相信天鹅座X-1星很可能
the first black hole that we can actually observe,
是我们能观测到的第一个黑洞
and yet you bet Kip Thorne it's not a black hole?
却还跟基普·索恩赌它不是
- Yes. - What did you bet him?
-是的 -赌什么
A one year's subscription to a magazine.
赌一年的杂志
- Which magazine? Nature? - No! Penthouse!
-什么杂志 《自然》吗 -不是 《阁楼》
- Penthouse? - Yes.
-《阁楼》吗 -没错
Gonna get you!
抓到你了
Daddy! Come up! Let's get Mummy!
爸爸 快点 去找妈妈
Come on.
快点
Gonna get you.
要抓到你了
Mummy! Mummy! Come and look!
妈妈 妈妈 快来看
We're gonna get you!
抓到你了
Come on.
来吧
Holiday! Holiday! Holiday! Holiday!
过节了 过节了 过节了
- Hello! - Hello!
-你好 -你好
- Hello! - There you are!
-你好 -来了啊
Hello, Pa.
你好啊 爸
Isn't that marvelous?
真是厉害啊
What about these steps, Frank?
这台阶怎么办 弗兰克
Steps are nothing, Jane.
台阶没事的 简
- Jane, Stephen! - Hello.
-简 斯蒂芬 -你好
Here we are!
终于来了
Yes, here we go.
好了
And once we're up at the top, it's very snug... hello, Stephen.
等上去了就方便多了 你好啊 斯蒂芬
Here we go.
好了
- We'll turn you around, Stephen. - You want me to push?
-来给你转个身 -要我推一下吗
No, no, I'll be fine, you get the luggage.
不用 我没事 你去拿行李吧
Here we go, off, we got it.
好了 我来
There we are, you see. Quite easy.
好了 多简单
And up one, there we go.
上了一级
Shimmering?
发光的吗
Um... the... rain coming down, shivering, cold, no, uh...
下雨了 冷得让人发抖
The... falling... falling... um...
下了 下了
- Very cold. - What is it?
-非常冷 -是什么
I can... I'm having a...
我...我不太...
Okay, take Lucy. One minute.
抱着露西 马上好
What is it?
怎么了
Is it out?
出来了吗
- Some... some water? - No, don't worry.
-要点水吗 -不用 没事
You're okay. That's it.
好了 没事了
There we go. It's okay. It's okay.
没事了 没事了
He needs to see a specialist.
得去看医生
It keeps happening over and over again. Ridiculous
老是这样 真是荒唐
- No doctors. No doctors! - All right, no doctors.
-不看医生 不看医生 -好 不看
A little water.
来点水
Stephen?
斯蒂芬
I need help.
我需要帮手
If only for Robert, it... he's missing out on his childhood.
就算是为了罗伯特 他的童年都被拖累了
I keep looking for a way to make this work,
我想努力把这个家经营下去
but I can't find it on my own.
可我一个人做不到
Everything is fine, we're just a normal family.
没问题啊 我们是个正常的家庭
We're not a normal family.
哪里正常了
We're not a normal family!
哪里正常了
Robert, your mother is very angry with me.
罗伯特 你妈妈对我非常生气
Thanks.
谢谢啊
Jane?
Jane! Stop!
简 停下
Sit!
坐下
Now...
好了...
I'd like to make a suggestion.
我给你提个建议
It might sound unusual, but I have seen it work wonders.
听着有点奇怪 可也帮过大忙
I think that you should consider joining the church choir.
我觉得你应该加入唱诗班
Mum...
妈妈
I think that's possibly
我好久都没听过
the most English thing anyone has ever said.
这么贴心的话了
Maybe so.
也许吧
- I used to love singing. - You're very good at it.
-我以前喜欢唱歌 -唱得挺好的
- I don't know about that. - Just go.
-那就不一定了 -去吧
It's one hour a week.
每周一小时
Really lovely, everyone. Okay, see you next week.
真棒 大伙下周见
Goodbye.
再见
- Hello. - Hello.
-你好 -你好
- Have you come to sing? - Um... I just came to...
-是要加入唱诗班吗 -我是来...
- Soprano? - Mezzo.
-高音吗 -中音
Ah! Lovely! Just what we need.
太棒了 正需要中音
- Where have you been hiding? - Good question.
-你早去哪了 -问得好
Well, you're here now and just in time.
反正来得早不如来得巧
As they say.
俗话说的
- Ya know, I have to come back anyway. - Great.
-反正我还要回来的 -好
- Do you have everything? - Yes, thank you, yes.
-都给你了吗 -是的 谢谢
Thank you for coming, you will be a... A valuable asset.
谢谢你 你肯定是...团里的中流砥柱
Thank you.
谢谢
Well, I should... I should be going.
我 我该走了
And... uh... if your son wants those piano lessons, just...
要是你儿子想学钢琴...
Yes, yes, absolutely, I... um...
是啊 没问题
- I will do. - Great.
-肯定找你 -真棒
My... my husband... adores music, too.
我丈夫也喜欢音乐
Oh! Well! Does he play?
他弹什么乐器吗
I could... I could teach him as well.
我也可以教他的
That's a long story. But, um...
说来话长 不过...
Ah, okay.
好吧
- Well, thank you, Jonathan - My pleasure, Jane, see you again.
-谢谢你 乔纳森 -不客气 简 再见
- Bye bye. - Bye bye.
-再见 -再见
Third finger. No, that one there.
第三根手指 那边的
Try lifting your wrists a little bit. Keep your elbows back.
手腕抬起点 肘向后顶
Okay, try again.
再来一次
Wine?
要酒吗
Why not, thank you.
好啊 谢谢
- Stephen? - No.
-斯蒂芬 -不要
Stephen, Jane was telling me you have a beautiful theorem...
斯蒂芬 简跟我说 你有个优美的理论
...that... that proves the universe had a beginning? Is that it?
证明宇宙是有开端的
That was my PhD thesis.
我的博士论文
My new project disproves it.
我的新课题证明那是错的
Disproves it?
是错的
Yes.
是错的
So, then, you no longer believe in the Creation?
那你不再相信创世理论了
What one believes is irrelevant...
在物理学里 人信仰什么是...
...irrelevant in physics.
...是不重要的
I see.
好吧
Stephen's done a U-turn.
斯蒂芬来了个大转弯
The big new idea is that the universe has no boundaries at all.
新的理论是宇宙没有边界
No boundaries, no beginning...
没有边界 没有开端...
...and no God. Oh!
...也没有上帝
Oh, I see... I... I thought that...
明白了 我还以为
you'd proved the universe
你证明宇宙有开端
had a beginning and thus a need for a Creator.
进一步证明有创世主
- My mistake. - No... mine.
-我的错 -是我的
Stephen is looking for a single theory
斯蒂芬想找到一个理论
that explains all the forces in the universe.
来解释宇宙中的一切
Therefore, God must die.
这样上帝就必须死
Why must God die, I don't see.
为什么上帝必须死 我不明白
The two great pillars of physics are: Quantum Theory,
物理学的两大支柱是 量子论
the laws that govern the very small particles,
针对所有微小粒子的理论
electrons and so on, and General Relativity.
电子什么的 还有广义相对论
Ah, yes, Einstein.
对 爱因斯坦
Einstein's theory, the law that governs the very large,
爱因斯坦的理论 针对非常巨大的
planets and such, but Quantum, and Relativity...
恒星什么的 但量子论 和相对论
Don't tell me... they're different?
别说 他们是不一样的
They don't remotely play by the same rules.
一点也不一样
If the world were all potatoes, then, easy
如果宇宙里只有土豆 那很简单
you could trace a precise beginning, as Stephen once did,
我们可以追溯回去 像斯蒂芬之前一样
a moment of Creation.
找到创世的那一刻
Hallelujah, God lives.
哈利路亚 上帝是存在的
If you incorporate peas into the menu,
可是有了豌豆之后
then it all goes a little...
就变得有点...
...tits up.
...乱搞了
Yes, haywire.
没错 疯掉了
- It all becomes a Godless mess. - Oh, dear.
-变成了没有上帝的乱世 -天啊
Einstein hated peas.
爱因斯坦讨厌豌豆
Quantum Theory, he said,
也就是量子论 他说
"God doesn't play dice with the universe."
"上帝不掷骰子"
Seems he not only plays the dice,
可是他不仅玩骰子
but he throws them where we can't find them.
还扔到了我们看不到的地方
God is back on the endangered species list.
上帝又濒临灭绝了
Well, I expect He'll cope.
他应该能适应的
And physics is back in business.
物理学又登场了
Yes, physics is back in business.
对 物理学又登场了
I was married... actually.
我以前结过婚
But sadly... she passed.
可她去世了
Almost a year ago now.
差不多一年了
It was leukemia.
白血病
She fought it and I nursed her, but in the end...
她抗争过 我也尽力照顾 可还是...
I do get quite lonely... the tyranny of the empty room.
我特别孤独 独守空房
And all that.
什么的
But... music is my salvation... teaching and playing.
但音乐拯救了我 在唱诗班 教人弹琴
Not really as a career,
算不上职业吧
but I... I'm not that ambitious, so...
反正我也没有什么野心
Is that a sin? I don't know.
这算不算是罪 我也不知道
Wrong man to ask.
问错人了
- Thank you so much for having me. - Thank you for coming.
-谢谢你们的招待 -谢谢你能来
It was re... really... really wonderful.
真是太...太好了
If there's anything I can do to be of service... to you.
如果有什么能帮你的
To the family, I mean.
我是说帮你们家
I would... consider it a privilege.
不要客气
I have no children, or commitments.
我没有孩子 单身也没什么负担
I only mean that if I... could be of help, I've...
我没别的意思 就是想帮你 我...
I'm... really, if I might find a purpose
我肯定... 也算是
that would help alleviate my own situation.
帮我排解孤独了
- Good night. - Night.
-晚安 -晚安
I understand...
我理解你的
If you need help...
如果你需要帮助...
If someone is prepared to offer...
并且有人愿意帮忙
I won't object.
我不会反对的
Chilly?
凉吗
Yes, it's very bracing.
是啊 可提神了
Calls you one and calls you all,
您是一人 也是万物
to gain his everlasting hall.
他的领域 永存于世
Christ was born to save. Christ was born to save.
生为救赎 解救众生
Great! Lovely! Okay! We can go!
太棒了 大家可以走了
- Just going on seven fourty-five. - Thank you.
-刚刚七点四十五 -谢谢
I'm... could... could you all leave a copy of that?
能...谁能给我留一份
There's something I need to tell you.
我有话要跟你说
What?
什么
I'm pregnant.
我怀孕了
Gosh! I... I, um... I assumed that you and Stephen...
天啊 我...我还以为你和斯蒂芬
Well, that's... that's really wonderful.
真...真是太棒了
- It is. - Yes, it's wonderful.
-确实 -真的 太美妙了
- Congratulations, Jane. - Thank you.
-简 恭喜你 -谢谢
Everyone say "Cheese"! Ready?
说"茄子" 准备好了吗
Count 3! 1, 2, 3...
我数到三 1 2 3
Cheese!
茄子
- Mummy! - Just coming.
-妈妈 -来了
Oh come on sweetie, come on.
别哭了 宝贝
Now, you know...
那个
I've always been supportive
我一直都很支持你
of your choice not to have home help,
不请人来帮忙
but we need to find a permanent solution.
但我们得想个长远的办法
This... this...
这种...这种...
situation cannot continue,
这种状况不是长久之计
you need to have a proper live-in nurse immediately.
你得赶紧找个常住的护工
We have help.
有人照顾我
Look... you know what I'm talking about.
你知道我什么意思
We can't afford a live-in nurse.
我们雇不起住家的护工
Stephen, you need to find a way,
斯蒂芬 这样不是办法
for your family's sake...
为了你的家人
you're world famous.
你已经是世界名人了
For black holes, not for rock concerts.
我是因为黑洞出名的 又不是摇滚乐
Stephen, this isn't funny. I believe it's urgent.
斯蒂芬 我没开玩笑 这事不能拖
We do have a right to know.
我们有权知道真相
We have a right to know, Jane.
简 我们有权知道
Know what?
知道什么
Whose child Timothy is...
蒂莫西的爸爸是谁...
Stephen's, or Jonathan's?
斯蒂芬还是乔纳森
That's what you think of me?
我在你们眼里就是那样的人
There is no way that Timothy
除了斯蒂芬
could have any other father than Stephen.
没人可能是蒂莫西的爸爸
None!
没人
- Jonathan, please don't go. - I have to go.
-乔纳森 别走 -我该走了
- Everybody's talking, and... - So, what does it matter?
-所有人都说我们... -那又怎样
It's difficult for me because I'm just trying to help.
我很难做下去 我只是想帮你们
I know you're trying to help
我当然知道
and your help is valued.
我们很感激你
The best thing for me right now,
我想现在我最好还是
I think, maybe if... if... if...
还是...还是
...I just step back for now.
...退出你们的生活吧
Please, Jonathan,
乔纳森 别这样
we need you, the children need you,
我们需要你 孩子需要你
and I need you, and Stephen needs you.
我需要你 斯蒂芬也需要你
- Jonathan... - Don't think of it.
-乔纳森 -别说这些了
But there's other things as well. Jane, I...
但是 简 还有别的原因
I have feelings for you.
我对你有感觉
And I have feelings for you, too.
我对你也是
Thank you, Jane.
简 谢谢你
I've been invited to Bordeaux Opera.
有人邀我去波尔多剧院
- Invited where? - To Bordeaux.
-去哪 -波尔多
To Bordeaux?
你要去波尔多
Wagner?
瓦格纳吗
Students can take me,
学生们可以带我去
I know you hate flying.
我知道你不喜欢坐飞机
I do hate to fly.
我确实讨厌坐飞机
Bring the car, meet me in Bordeaux.
你开车去吧 我们波尔多见
Take the children camping.
带孩子们野营
It'd be too difficult to manage, Stephen.
那样就太麻烦了
Bring Jonathan.
让乔纳森陪你吧
I doubt he would be willing.
他不一定愿意去吧
Hello, Stephen.
你好啊 斯蒂芬
- Is this okay? - Well...
-喝这个行吗 -这个...
I won't tell if you won't.
我是不会说出去的
Just...
但是...
bearing in mind you have to drive.
别喝多 你还得开车呢
Jane needs help.
简需要你的帮助
Sarah, you won't forget to give him
萨拉 千万记得
the injection as soon as soon as you land, will you.
一着陆就给他注射药物
And you'll call me when you get to the hotel.
到宾馆记得给我打个电话
- I will. -Yes? Promise?
-不会忘的 -保证
- Yeah. - Good!
-一定不会 -好
Stephen?
斯蒂芬
Mum'll take the baby.
妈妈带孩子来
- She'll be here any minute. - See you in Bordeaux.
-她一会就到 -我们波尔多见
And be good.
千万注意
- They asleep? - Yeah.
-他们睡了吗 -睡了
Jonathan.
乔纳森
Oh God!
天哪
Excuse me, sorry.
抱歉 让一下
Jonathan?
乔纳森
Jonathan, it's Stephen, he's been just taken ill,
乔纳森 斯蒂芬出事了
he's in the hospital right now,
他突然病重 被送到了医院
he's in a coma.
现在还在昏迷
他怎么了
他感染了肺炎
现在全靠呼吸机维持
不知道他还能撑多久
现在我们可以
撤掉呼吸机吗
What are you talking about?
你什么意思
This way would be a painless end.
可以让他没有痛苦的离开
If we try to bring him round from the anesthetic
让他脱离麻醉状态
it's not sure he will survive resuscitation.
也不一定能保他的命
You have to bring him round from the anesthetic!
让他脱离麻醉状态
Are you sure it's what you want?
你确定真要这么做
The only way of weaning him off the ventilator
唯一能让他呼吸的方法
would be to give him a tracheotomy,
就是实施气管切开术
a hole in the neck, by-passing the throat.
在脖子上开刀 从喉咙旁边过去
He will never speak again.
他就再也没法说话了
There's no question... Stephen must live.
没得商量 必须要保住他的命
I will see he gets everything he needs.
需要什么就用什么
I will have him transferred back to Cambridge.
然后转院回剑桥
- He may not survive the journey. - Yes, he will.
-路上他可能撑不住的 -他能的
I know.
我知道
I'll...
我就...
step back.
不去了
Did you get everything in the car...
你东西都带齐了吗
his chair, and his equipment, and everything?
他的轮椅 设备什么的
Goodbye.
再见了
Stephen?
斯蒂芬
This is a spelling board.
这是个拼字板
Firstly, you tell me
我先说颜色
what letter you want by blinking
你要哪个颜色
when I say the color of the group that contains that letter.
就对我眨下眼睛
Once I know the group,
确定了颜色以后
you can choose the character inside that group by
我说到你要的字母
by blinking again when I say the color of each letter with that group...
你就眨下眼睛
...apparently
...很简单
Let's just try.
我们先试试吧
Green.
绿色
Blue.
蓝色
Pink.
粉色
Black.
黑色
Red.
红色
Blink to choose the color of
斯蒂芬 用哪个颜色的字母
the group of the letter that you want, Stephen.?
就对我眨下眼睛好吗
Green.
绿色
Blue.
蓝色
Pink.
粉色
Black.
黑色
Red.
红色
- Just wait here. - Great.
-稍等一下 -好的
She's here, she comes highly recommended.
她来了 很多人推荐她的
Promise not to eat her alive.
跟她和气点
Okay?
好吗
Here we are.
来啦
Elaine, Stephen.
伊莲 这是斯蒂芬
Stephen, Elaine.
斯蒂芬 这是伊莲
Lovely to meet you, Professor.
教授 很高兴见到你
Now, you should have everything you need.
需要的东西应该都在这
But if there's anything else, I'll be right next door.
还需要什么再找我 我就在隔壁
Great, I think we'll get straight to work.
很好 我们可以马上开始了
Thank you, Jane.
简 谢谢
- Oh, if you just close the doors. - Of course.
-对了 麻烦关上门 -当然
We'll get started then.
那我们就开始了
Okay...
好了
Red.
红色
Yellow.
黄色
T T.
Green.
绿色
Black... "E".
黑色 E
Green, green, "A".
绿色 绿色 A
Tea.
You want a cup of tea?
你要一杯茶
Okay.
好的
Any preference?
要什么口味
You've memorized the board, I know you have.
我知道你肯定都记住了
I haven't got all day.
我可没空陪你耗
Green, green, green, yellow.
绿 绿 绿 黄
Yellow, "B".
黄 B
Green, blue, black, pink, red.
绿 蓝 黑 粉 红
Red?
红色吗
Green, yellow, blue, blue.
绿 黄 蓝 蓝
"U"... should be Builder's Tea, right?
U 加奶 两勺糖 是吗
Well, how did you get on?
今天怎么样
You know, I think he's the most brilliant man I've ever met.
他是我遇到过最棒的人
- You're very lucky. - Thank you.
-你很幸运 -谢谢
You must worship the ground beneath...
连他走过的土地都是伟大的...
His wheels.
是轮椅压过
And he's a perfect patient, he's so funny.
他非常配合 而且很幽默
When you read about him people...
看报道里的他 还以为...
Let's see how he gets on,
先看他恢复得什么样
shall we, Elaine?
好吗 伊莲
That's tightened up.
那里系紧
As you can see, it's height adjustable,
你看 高度可调节
and we can change the angle to whatever Steve wants it at.
角度也可以随意变换
- You know, it's cutting-edge. - So, how does it work?
-这可是尖端科技 -要怎么用
It uses a very simple interface
它有一个十分简单的界面
that scans through the alphabet
你可以一个个字母的浏览
and selects each letter one at a time.
每次选一个字母
I mean, using this technique, the Professor can
用了这个设备 教授大概
expect to write at about four words per minute.
每分钟可以写四个单词
Good! Better than one a minute.
很好啊 总比一分钟一个要好
Yes, and what I've done is taken the components
是啊 而且我从自动答录机里
from a telephone answering system, actually,
拿了些零件
to convert the written text into synthesized speech.
把文字转换成语音
I mean the voice sounds a little bit robotic, but...
声音是有点像机器人 但总...
Shall we give it a try?
我们来试试吧
- Great! - Here's the clicker.
-太棒了 -这是按钮
Right hand?
右手吗
There you go.
开始吧
Welcome to the future.
欢迎来到未来世界
My name is Stephen Hawking.
我叫斯蒂芬·霍金
It's American!
是美国口音的
Is that a problem?
有问题吗
Oh, my goodness, well... is there another voice?
这个...有别的选择吗
It's the only one lately I have at the moment.
目前我只有这一种
I think it's great.
真棒
取自歌曲《Daisy Bell》
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer, do.
黛西 黛西 告诉我你的答案 快点
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
"说实话 亲爱的 我不在乎"
《神秘博士》中Dalek的经典台词
Exterminate!
消灭
Exterminate!
消灭
Exterminate!
消灭
I will write a book.
我要写本书
About what?
关于什么的
- Time. - Time.
-时间 -时间
What is the nature of time?
时间的本质是什么
Will it ever come to an end?
时间有没有尽头
Can we go back in time?
我们能不能回到过去
Some day these answers may seem
也许未来 这些问题会变得
as obvious to us as the Earth orbiting the sun,
像地球绕着太阳转一样平常
古代人对宇宙的认识
or perhaps as ridiculous as a tower of tortoises.
抑或如乌龟塔般荒谬
Only time,
唯有时间
whatever that may be, will tell.
不管它是什么 才能给我们答案
基普·索恩 致 斯蒂芬·霍金剑桥大学英国
Professor?
教授
阁楼
- It is for a friend. - Of course it is...
-是帮我朋友订的 -当然...
That's what they all say.
男人都这么说
You don't have to be embarrassed in front of me, Professor.
教授 不用在我面前不好意思
I know what men are like.
我了解你们男人
Shall we take a look?
我们来看看吧
There you go.
来吧
Oh! I'm Sorry.
对不起
Next one?
翻页吗
What?
怎么了
时间史
时间
So I said I had long been looking for
我说过 我一直在努力寻找
a model of the universe.
适用于整个宇宙的模型[模特]
I finally found her.
我终于找到了她
I bet you did.
可不是嘛
Stephen, I need to steal you, the contract's arrived.
史蒂芬 打扰一下 合同来了
Could you just give us a minute, please, Jane?
简 能再等一小会儿吗
There we go.
好啦
Like new.
焕然一新
Who are we? Why are we here?
我们是谁 为何存在于此
If ever learn this it would be
这两个问题如果有答案
the ultimate triumph of the human reason,
会是人类思想史上的重大突破
for then we would know the mind of God.
因为那时 我们才真的理解了上帝
- Do you mean this? - Yes.
-你真这么觉得 -是的
- Of course. - So, you're acknowledging Him?
-当然 -所以你承认上帝存在了
However.
但是
"However", what?
"但是"什么
Are you actually going to let me have this moment?
你到底让不让我享受这一刻
You're welcome.
不客气
我请伊莲陪我去美国了
I have asked Elaine to travel with me to America.
我请伊莲陪我去美国了
She will look after me.
她会照顾我的
Will she?
是吗
Yes.
是的
You always use to tell me when an invitation came in.
有人邀你去哪 你都会告诉我的
Another award, what can you do?
又得奖了 我也没办法
I'm sorry.
对不起
How many years?
多少年了
They said two.
他们说只有两年
You've had so many.
已经许多年了
Everything will be okay.
一切都会好起来的
I have loved you.
我爱过你
I did my best.
我尽力了
Careful!
小心点
- No, that's staying. - All right.
-那个留下 -好的
Bye, Jonathan.
乔纳森 再见
斯蒂芬霍金
时间简史
Professor, I love your book!
教授 我喜欢你的书
时间
Thank you.
谢谢
I first met the Professor in 1963.
我1963年第一次见到霍金教授
And there you are... time, where did it go?
现在他都开始讲"时间"了 时间都去哪了
It has been one of the great joys of my life
看着他挑战极限
to watch this man
无论是科学上的
defy every expectation, both scientific and personal.
还是医学上的 都使我倍感欣慰
Please welcome onto the stage my esteemed colleague,
有请我敬爱的同事
my dear friend, Professor Hawking.
我亲爱的朋友 霍金教授
Thank you! Could we please
非常感谢 我们先来讨论
have the first preselected question, thank you.
第一个预选问题 好吗 谢谢
Can you hear me?
大家能听到吗
Now you are recognized everywhere.
现在您已是名扬四海
How do you deal with all the attention?
您是如何应对大家的关注的呢
I was stopped recently by a tourist at Cambridge
最近 我在剑桥被一位游客拦住
who asked if I was the real Stephen Hawking.
他问我是否真的是霍金
I replied I was not,
我回答说我不是
and said the real one was much better looking.
霍金本人比我帅多了
In 1979, you talked about
1979年 您曾表示
the possibility of a Theory of Everything.
有望在本世纪末
being discovered before the end of the century.
发现适用万物的理论
I now predict that I was wrong.
我现在预言我当时错了
Professor Hawking, you have said you do not believe in God.
霍金教授 您说过您不信上帝
Do you have a philosophy of life that helps you?
那您有什么实用的处世哲学吗
You have said you did not believe in God.
您说过您不信上帝
Do you have a philosophy of life that helps you?
那么您有什么指导您的生活哲学吗
It is clear that we are just an advanced breed of primates,
我们人类也不过是高级灵长类动物
on a minor planet orbiting
生活在一颗小星球上
around a very average star,
绕着一颗普通的恒星转
in the outer suburb of one
我们生活的银河系之外
among a hundred billion galaxies...
还有上亿个星系
But, ever since the dawn of civilization,
然而 自人类文明诞生以来
people have craved for
人们就没有停止过
an understanding of the underlying order of the world.
对世界根本规律的探索
There ought to be something
宇宙的边界是什么
very special about the boundary conditions of the universe.
肯定有个特别的答案
And what can be more special than that there is no boundary?
但是还有比没有边界更特别的答案吗
And there should be no boundary to human endeavor.
同样 人类的潜力也不会有边界
We are all different.
我们都是与众不同的
However bad life may seem,
无论生活多么艰辛
there is always something you can do, and succeed at.
你总会有自己的方式发光
While there is life, there is hope.
生命不息 希望不止
That came.
这个
It's from Stephen.
是斯蒂芬的来信
Gosh.
天啊
Your glasses are always dirty.
你眼镜总是这么脏
Professor and Mrs Hawking, Her Majesty the Queen.
霍金教授 霍金夫人 女王接见
Congratulations.
恭喜你
My "Companion of Honor".
我的"荣誉伴侣"
Not bad for an old liberal socialist.
干得好 主张自由社会主义的老头子
Don't worry, you can decline the knighthood.
别担心 你还是可以拒绝授衔的
Thank you for today.
谢谢你请我来
It was extraordinary.
真的很棒
It's all been rather extraordinary, though, hasn't it?
我们这一路一直都很棒 是吧
What are you writing?
你在写什么
Look what we made.
看看我们的成果
《时间简史》在全球销量超过千万虽然已经72岁了 斯蒂芬依然没有打算退休继续探索万物理论
他婉拒了女王授予的骑士头衔
简拿到了西班牙诗歌的博士学位她与乔纳森喜结连理简和斯蒂芬依然是好朋友 现已经有三个孙辈
英国大学学位分等级一般来说 一等学位要求均分70以上霍金的本科三年只有一次考试 也就是毕业考试由于紧张他发挥失常 成绩处在一等与二等的边缘因此需要追加一次面试