傲慢与偏见 Pride and Prejudice 第5集: Episode 5

上映日期: 1,995

语言: 英语

影片类型: 剧情 / 爱情

导演: 西蒙·兰顿

演员: 科林·费尔斯 / 詹妮弗·艾莉 / 戴维·鲍姆伯 / 苏珊娜·哈克 / 茱莉亚·莎华拉 / 艾莉森·斯戴曼 / 本杰明·惠特罗 / 克里斯平 伯汉姆-卡特 / 露西·布莱尔斯 / 波丽·麦伯利 / 乔


台词
--==本影片由 CMCT 团队 荣誉出品==--更多精彩影视 请访问 http://cmct.cc
If you please, ma'am!
恕我打扰 小姐
There are two gentlemen and a lady waiting upon you in the parlour.
两位先生和一位小姐 在客厅里等候您
One of them is Mr Darcy.
其中一人是达西先生
Thank you. Tell them I shall come directly.
谢谢 请转告他们我马上到
Mr Darcy.
达西先生
- I hope that you have not been waiting long.
但愿没有让您等得太久了
- Not at all.
完全没有
May I introduce my sister Georgiana?
请允许我介绍一下 我的妹妹乔治安娜
Georgiana, this is Miss Elizabeth Bennet.
乔治安娜 这位是伊丽莎白·班纳特小姐
- How do you do?
你好
- I'm very pleased to meet you, Miss Darcy.
能见到您万分荣幸 达西小姐
- I've heard so much about you.
我听说了不少您的事情
- And I about you.
我也听说了关于你的不少故事
Mr Bingley is here with us,
宾利先生也来了
and very desirous to see you as well.
他非常想来拜访你
He insisted on accompanying us.
所以坚持陪同我们一起来了
- May I summon him?
能允许我唤他进屋吗?
- Of course! I should like to see him very much.
当然 能见到他是我的荣幸
I understand that you are fond of music,
我了解到你热衷音乐
and play very well.
弹得一手好琴
Oh, no. Not play very well.
不敢当 技拙得很
I mean, but I am very fond of music.
但我确实热爱音乐
I should dearly love to hear you play and sing.
我非常期待你一展你的琴艺和唱功
My brother has told me he has rarely heard
哥哥曾说过
anything that gave him more pleasure.
他很少见到如此让他欣赏的人才了
Well, you shall. But I warn you,
你会听到的 不过请允许我说一句
your brother has grossly exaggerated my talents.
你哥哥对我的评价过高了
- No doubt for some mischievous reason.
他就是个爱开玩笑的人
- Oh, no. That could not be so.
不 别这么谦虚
My brother never exaggerates.
我哥哥从不夸张事实
He always tells the absolute truth.
向来是个诚实公正的人
Except that sometimes I think he is a little too kind to me.
除了他偶尔对我有些过于宽恕
- An ideal elder brother, then.
真是位优秀的哥哥
- Yes! I couldn't imagine a better or a kinder one.
是啊找不出比他心地更好的人了
You make me feel quite envious.
我真羡慕你
I have no brothers at all. Only four sisters.
我只有四个姐妹 没有哥哥
I should have liked to have a sister.
我倒愿意有个姐姐
Miss Bennet!
班纳特小姐!
I was so delighted when Darcy told me
达西告诉我你离彭伯里不到五英里远时
you were not five miles from Pemberley!
我真是高兴坏了
How do you do?
你好吗?
- I see you are well.
看起来气色不错
- Very well, thank you.
我很好 谢谢关心
- Good, good, excellent! And your family?
很好 真不错! 你的家人呢?
- Very well, sir.
他们也很好 先生
Yes?
然后?
Pray, tell me. Are all your sisters still at Longbourn?
恕我冒昧 你其他的姐妹还在浪搏恩吗?
All except one. My youngest sister is at Brighton.
除了最小的妹妹 她去了白利屯
Ah.
原来如此
It seems too long...
好象时隔久远了
..it is too long, since I had the pleasure of speaking to you.
没错 我已许久没有和你畅快地交谈过了
- It must be several months.
有好几个月了
- It is above eight months at least.
至少有八个月
We have not met since the 26th of November,
自11月26日在尼日斐花园的舞会后
when we were dancing together at Netherfield.
我们就没有见过面了
I think you must be right.
您说得没错
I don't think I can remember a happier time
那段哈福德郡度过的短暂时光
than those short months I spent in Hertfordshire.
是我人生中最快乐的一段日子
Miss Bennet, my sister has a request to make of you.
班纳特小姐 我的妹妹有一个请求
Miss Bennet, my brother and I would be honoured
班纳特小姐 我们将万分荣幸如能邀请
if you and your aunt and uncle
你和你的舅舅舅妈出席
would be our guests at Pemberley for dinner.
我们在彭搏里的晚宴
- Would tomorrow evening be convenient?
明晚可以吗?
- Thank you, we shall be delighted.
谢谢你的邀请 我们倍感荣幸
I can answer for Mr and Mrs Gardiner.
我可以代嘉丁纳舅舅和舅妈答应
We have no fixed engagements.
目前我们无其他预约
- And shall we hear you play?
能邀请你明晚弹奏一曲吗?
- If you insist upon it, yes, you shall.
如果您坚持 我愿意为您演奏一曲
Absolutely marvellous!
精彩绝伦!
Will you not play again?
能否请你再弹一次?
You played that song so beautifully.
你演奏得实在太美了
Not very beautifully, not faithfully at all.
根本谈不上美 音都没有弹准
You must have seen how I fudged and slurred
你一定注意到很多复杂的章节
my way through the difficult passages.
我都是蒙混过关的
- It's a beautiful instrument, though.
不过这是架好钢琴
- My brother gave it to me.
哥哥送给我的
- He is so good. I don't deserve it.
我配不上这么好的琴
- I am sure you do.
你没问题的
Your brother thinks you do,
你的哥哥对你有信心
and as you know, he is never wrong.
你也知道他看人眼光很准
Now, it's your turn. Oh, I absolutely insist!
现在换你了 我坚持请你弹一曲
In front of all these people?
在这么多人面前?
I will play, but please don't make me sing.
我可以弹一点 但请原谅我不太会唱
If you like.
请吧
Pray, Miss Eliza,
请问 伊丽莎白小姐
are the Militia still quartered at Meryton?
民兵是否还驻扎在麦里屯?
No, they are encamped at Brighton for the summer.
不 他们夏日驻扎在白利屯
- That must be a great loss for your family.
府上对此一定倍感遗憾吧
- We're enduring it as best we can,Miss Bingley.
我们尽力减小遗憾 宾利小姐
I should have thought one gentleman's absence might have caused particular pangs.
我早应料到一位绅士的缺席尤其让你难过
I can't imagine who you mean.
我不太明白您的意思
I understood that certain ladies found
我得知某些小姐们莫名倾心于韦翰先生之流
the society of Mr Wickham curiously agreeable.
这让我实在不敢恭维
I'm so sorry. I'm neglecting you.
非常抱歉 我忘了你在弹琴
How can you play with no one to turn the pages.
怎么能没人帮你翻页呢
There, allow me.
允许我为你效劳
How very ill Eliza Bennet looked this evening!
今晚伊丽莎白的脸色多难看
I've never seen anyone so much altered as she is since the winter.
我从没见过哪个人冬天后变化这么大的
- Quite so, my dear.
说的没错 亲爱的
- She is grown so brown and coarse.
她的皮肤又黑又粗糙
Louisa and I were agreeing that we should hardly know her.
路易莎和我简直都认不出她了
What do you say, Mr Darcy?
达西先生 你说呢?
I noticed no great difference.
我看不出有什么大变化
She is, I suppose, a little tanned.
若非要说的有什么 晒黑了一些罢了
Hardly surprising when one travels in the summer.
夏天旅行的结果 不足为奇
For my part, I must confess,I never saw any beauty in her face.
说实话 我看不出她哪里漂亮了
Her features are not at all handsome.
容貌算不上清秀
Her complexion has no brilliancy.
皮肤也没有光泽
Her teeth are tolerable, I suppose,
牙齿倒还说得过去 我觉得
but nothing out of the common way.
但没有什么特别之处
And as for her eyes,which I have sometimes heard called fine,
说到眼睛 有人称赞它的美丽
I could never perceive anything extraordinary in them.
我可看不出有什么惊人之处
And in her air there is a self-sufficiency without fashion,
而她那不登大雅之堂的自视甚高的风度
which I find intolerable.
更是让我忍无可忍
I think...
我认为...
When we first knew her in Hertfordshire,
当我们在哈福德郡初识她时
how amazed we all were to find her a reputed beauty!
我们都为她被称为美人而奇怪
I particularly recall you, Mr Darcy,
达西先生 记得他们在
one night after they had been dining at Netherfield,
尼日斐花园晚餐后 你这么说过
saying: ''She a beauty?
她要能算上美人的话
I should as soon call her mother a wit!''
她的母亲也算个巫婆了
But afterwards she seemed to improve on you.
但之后你对她的看法渐渐有所改观了
I even believe you thought her rather pretty at one time.
有段时间 你还觉得她确实很美吧
Yes, I did. That was only when I first knew her.
是的 那是我刚认识她不久
For many months now I have considered her
数月后 我认为她是我
one of the handsomest women of my acquaintance.
熟识的人中最漂亮的
No, no, the green one.
不 别拿那条绿的
Yes, that will do.
对 这条可以
Good. No, never mind that.
可以 就这样吧
- If you please, ma'am. The post's just come.
恕我打扰 夫人 一封邮件刚到
- Thank you, Hannah.
谢谢 汉娜
A good girl, that. Very obliging.
真是个热心肠的好姑娘
Two letters from Jane. At last!
简终于寄来了两封信
I had been wondering why we hadn't...
我一直在想为何我们
This one was misdirected at first.
这封一开始投错了
No wonder,for she wrote the direction very ill, indeed!
看这潦草的笔迹 难怪会投错
Would you be angry if I beg you to postpone our outing?
您不会怪我推迟出门时间吧?
Not at all! Of course you want to read your letters.
当然不会 快读你的信去吧
We will walk to the church and call back in an hour.
我们步行去教堂 一小时内回来
Thank you, you're very kind!
谢谢您的理解
My dearest Lizzy, I hope yourjourney
亲爱的丽斯 愿你的旅行
has been as delightful as you anticipated.
如当初想象得一样愉悦
We all miss you.
我们都很想你
Our father most of all, I believe.
我觉得特别是爸爸
I have hardly had time to write.
我几乎无法抽空写给你
My nephews and nieces have taken almost every moment!
我一直忙于照顾侄子和侄女们
But they are such dear children.
但他们真是惹人喜爱
Our mother indeed finds their exuberance
妈妈当然发现他们的到来
a little trying for her nerves.
是对她那敏感的神经的一次挑战
Mamma...
妈妈
She spends much of the day above stairs
大部分时间她都在楼上度过
in her room, or with Mrs Philips.
或者与菲利普太太交谈
Dearest Lizzy,
亲爱的丽斯
since writing the above, something has occurred of
现在我想告诉你 一件突如其来的事情
a most unexpected and serious nature.
灾难般地发生了
But I'm afraid of alarming you.
但我没有勇气告诉你
Be assured we are all well.
我们都很好 不用担心
What I have to say relates to poor Lydia.
事情和可怜的莉迪亚有关
Lydia!
莉迪亚!
An express came at twelve last night,
昨晚半夜寄到了一封快递
just as we were all gone to bed.
正值我们将入睡之时
Mr Bennet, what is it?
班纳特先生 怎么回事?
Are we to be murdered in our beds?
什么事情非要大半夜来 怪吓人的
The letter was from Colonel Forster,
信发自弗斯脱上校
to inform us that Lydia was gone off to
告诉我们 莉迪亚与他的一名
Scotland with one of his officers.
下属私奔到苏格兰
To own the truth... with Wickham.
实际上那个人 是韦翰
Oh, Lydia!
天 莉迪亚!
Oh, Mr Bennet, we are all ruined!
班纳特先生 我们这下都玩完了
You will imagine our surprise and shock.
可想而知我们有多震惊
To Kitty, however, it does not seem so wholly unexpected.
吉蒂对这样的结果似乎不太意外
I am very, very sorry.
这两个人就这样冒冒失失结成了一对
So imprudent a match on both sides!
对此我感到无比难过
But I'm willing to hope the best,
但是我宁愿相信
and that his character has been misunderstood.
人们误解了他的为人
I wish I could believe it.
我也想这么相信
His choice is disinterested at least.
他至少不是为钱来的
He must know that our father can give him nothing.
明知我们的父亲不会给他多少钱
Yes, that is true.
是 确实如此
But how could he do this?
但他怎么能这么做?
She is silly enough for anything.
她是个不计后果的傻丫头
But Wickham to love Lydia? Marry Lydia?
他真的爱她 并且会娶她吗?
There is one lady I shall be very loath to part from.
我愿意与在场的某位小姐私下相处一会
We expect them soon returned from Gretna,man and wife.
我们期待他们以正式夫妻的身份从格利那回来
I must conclude.I cannot be away from our poor mother long.
总而言之 现在我一步也不能离开可怜的妈妈
I shall write again as soon as I have news.
一旦有新消息 我会再写信告诉你
My dearest Lizzy, I hardly know what to write,
亲爱的丽斯 我不知道该怎么说
but I have bad news!
坏消息接踵而至
Imprudent as a marriage would be,we now fear worse:
面对这场冒失的婚姻 我们的忧虑无以复加
That it has not taken place.
他们没有结婚
That Wickham never intended to marry Lydia at all!
韦翰从来就没有想过要娶她
Great God, I knew it!
天啊我就知道
- I cannot think so ill of him.
我无法想象出他到底有卑鄙
- I can. Poor Lydia.
我知道 可怜的丽迪雅
Poor stupid girl!
傻丫头!
Colonel Forster said he feared that
弗斯脱上校说
Wickham was not to be trusted.
恐怕韦翰不是个值得信赖的人
She was then but fifteen years old.
何况她才仅仅15岁
They were traced as far as Clapham.
有人最后在克拉普见到过他们
Father has gone with Colonel Forster to try to discover them.
爸爸和弗斯特上校一同去找他们了
I cannot help but beg you all to
除了请求你速回
come here as soon as possible!
我帮不上任何忙
Oh, yes! Where is my uncle?
当然 舅舅在哪里?
If you please, ma'am.
恕我打扰 小姐
- Miss Bennet, I hope this...
班纳特小姐 我希望这次
- I beg your pardon. I must find Mr Gardiner.
恕我失陪 我必须去找我的舅舅
- On business that cannot be delayed.
发生了十万火急的事情
- Good God! What is the matter?
老天 发生了什么?
Of course I will not detain you, but let me go,
我无意耽搁你的时间 但不如让我
or let the servant go and fetch Mr and Mrs Gardiner.
或者仆人去请回嘉丁纳夫妇
- You cannot go yourself.
你不能一人只身前往
- I must...
我必须
Come. I insist. This will be for the best.
我坚持这么做 这才是正确的决策
Hello there!
来人
Have Mr and Mrs Gardiner fetched here at once.
立刻去请回嘉丁纳夫妇
- They walked in the direction of...
他们朝着...
- ..the church.
教堂方向去了
Yes, sir, at once.
是 先生 我立马去
- You are not well. May I not call a doctor?
你看上去不太舒服 需要我叫个医生吗?
- No. I am well. I am well.
不必了 我没关系
Is there nothing you can take for your present relief?
怎样能缓解一下你的焦虑?
A glass of wine? Can I get you one?
要不要我帮你倒杯酒?
Truly, you look very ill.
你脸色看上去不太好
No, I thank you. There is nothing the matter with me.
不必了 谢谢 我真的没事
I am quite well.
我很好
I am only distressed by some dreadful news,
我只因听到浪搏恩传来的噩耗
which I have just received from Longbourn.
而感到十分沮丧
- I am sorry. Forgive me.
请原谅我的失礼
- No, no.
不 别在意
I have just received a letter from Jane,
我刚收到了简的来信
with such dreadful news.
信里透了些可怕的消息
It cannot be concealed from anyone.
可怕到不可告人
My youngest sister has left all her friends,
我最小的妹妹 离开了她所有的亲人
has eloped,
选择了与人私奔
has thrown herself into the power...
近乎疯狂地跳入了韦翰的
..of Mr Wickham.
骗局中
They have run away together from Brighton.
他们一同私自离开了白利屯
You know him too well to doubt the rest.
你能想象出来事情有多严重
She has no money, no connections,
她无财富可言 更不谈关系
nothing that can tempt him.
韦翰无利可图
When I think that I might have prevented it!
一想到我本可以阻止他
I, who knew what he was!
因为我深知他的为人
Had his character been known,
如果我能早些揭露他的本性
this could not have happened.
这一切都不会发生
But it is all too late now.
但为时已晚
I am grieved, indeed. Grieved, shocked.
除了震惊 我现在非常自责
- But is it certain? Absolutely certain?
这是真的吗? 千真万确?
- Oh, yes.
千真万确
They left Brighton together on Sunday night.
周日晚他们离开了白利屯
They were traced as far as London,
目前只知道他们最近一次去过伦敦
but not beyond.
除此之外 音讯杳无
- They are certainly not gone to Scotland.
可以排除去苏格兰的可能性
- What has been attempted to recover her?
有采取措施寻找她吗?
My father has gone to London.
我的父亲已前往伦敦
And Jane writes to beg my uncle's immediate assistance.
简已写信求助于我们的舅舅
I hope that we shall leave within half an hour.
希望半小时内我就能动身回家
But what can be done?
可我又能帮得上什么呢?
I know that nothing can be done.
我们什么也做不了
How is such a man to be worked on?
谁能猜到这样的人下一步会做什么?
How are they even to be discovered?
我们真的能找到他们吗?
I have not the smallest hope.
我连鼓起一丝希望的勇气都没有
She is lost forever, and our whole family
她的名声已永不能复 我们一家也会因
must partake of her ruin and disgrace.
她的不光彩行为而遭难
I'm afraid you have long been desiring my absence.
恐怕你早已希望我离开
This unfortunate affair will, I fear,
我担心 由于这不幸的消息
prevent my sister from having the pleasure of seeing you at Pemberley today.
今天我的妹妹不适合在彭伯里见你
Oh, yes.
您说得没错
Be so kind as to apologise
但请麻烦你 代我们向
for us to Miss Darcy.
达西小姐致以诚挚的歉意
Say that urgent business calls us home immediately.
当务之急在身 必须立即回家
And if you would be so kind... as to conceal
另外请宽容的您
the unhappy truth as long as possible.
为我们保守这不幸的消息
I know that it cannot be long.
虽然事情迟早会被发现
You may be assured of my secrecy.
请放心 我定守口如瓶
But I have stayed too long. I shall leave you now.
不过我已逗留过久 恕我就此告退
Yes. Thank you.
请慢走 谢谢您
Goodbye.
再见
I shall never see him again.
以后再也不能见他了
Even if what you say of Wickham is true,
就算你对韦翰的评价不假
I still cannot believe this of Lydia.
我也无法相信莉迪亚的作为
Ever since the militia came to Meryton,
自从民兵来了麦里屯
there's been nothing but love and officers in her head.
她脑子里关于交上一个军官的想法就没停歇过
We must not assume the worst.
我们不必把一起想象得那么糟糕
It may yet be that this is all a misunderstanding.
或许一切都是误会
Or just a passing folly that her friends
或许这只是一时的愚昧
can hush up and will in time be quite forgotten.
她的朋友很快就会遗忘得
- It is possible, Lizzy!
这样也有可能 丽斯!
- Indeed it is.
确实有可能
Why would any young man form a design against
一个年轻人为何要对一个家境普通
a girl who is not unprotected or friendless,
朋友不少的姑娘蓄此独谋?
and who is staying in the Colonel's family?
而且她还住在上校家
Look at it in any way you like.
无论从哪个角度来分析
The temptation is not worth the risk.
我们家的情况并不值得他牺牲自己的利益
Not perhaps of risking his own interest.
他确实不可能会牺牲自己的利益
But I do believe him capable of risking everything else!
但我坚信他会牺牲其它的一切
You are very quiet this evening, Mr Darcy.
今晚你似乎很沉默 达西先生
I hope you're not pining for
我真诚的希望不是因为
the loss of Miss Eliza Bennet.
伊丽莎白·班纳特小姐的缺席
What?
什么?
Excuse me.
恕我失陪
There she is!Mamma, mamma! Did you bring us anything?
妈妈回来了 你带给我们什么了吗?
- Lizzy! I am so glad to see you.
丽斯! 见到你回来太高兴了
- Has anything been heard?
有什么新消息吗?
Not yet, but now that our uncle has come,
还没有 但既然舅舅已经来了
I hope all will be well.
希望一切都能往好的方向发展
Father left for town on Tuesday,
爸爸星期二就去了镇上
and we've only heard that he has arrived in safety.
我们只知道他平安到达了
Mamma has been asking for you every five minutes.
妈妈每隔五分钟就询问一次你的情况
- How is she?
她还好吗?
- She has not yet left her room.
她还一步都离不了房间
And you look pale.
你脸色苍白
Oh, Jane, how much you must have gone through!
简 你承受了太多的负担
I am so happy to see you, Lizzy. Come.
能见到你回来我太高兴了 丽斯 快跟我来
Oh!
Oh, Lizzy!
丽斯!
Oh, brother!
哥哥!
We are all ruined forever!
我们全完了!
If only Mr Bennet had taken us all to Brighton,
如果班纳特先生带上我们所有人一起去白利屯
none of this would have happened!
就不会发生这样的事情!
I blame those Forsters!
都怪弗斯脱一家!
I am sure there was some great neglect on their part,
他们肯定没有好好照顾她
for she is not the kind of girl to do that sort of thing,
如果有人好好照顾她
if she had been properly looked after!
她是干不出那种事来的
- Mamma.
妈妈
- And now here is Mr Bennet gone away.
现在班纳特先生也不在家了
I know he will fight Wickham,
他一定会和韦翰打起来
and then he will be killed,
然后被杀掉
and then what is to become of us all?
那我们该如何是好?
Those Collinses will turn us out
他尸骨未寒 柯林斯一家
before he is cold in his grave!
就会把我们撵出去!
And if you are not kind to us, brother,
兄弟啊如果你不帮帮忙
I don't know what we shall do!
我真不知道该怎么活下去好了!
Sister, calm down. Nothing dreadful will happen!
妹妹 冷静下来 不会发生什么事情的!
I'll be in London tomorrow,
我明日就去伦敦
and we will consult as to what is to be done.
看看如何解决此事
Yes, yes, that is it! You must find them out,
好 好 这我就放心了 一定要找到他们
and if they be not married, you must make them marry.
如果他们没结婚就逼他们结婚
Above all, keep Mr Bennet from fighting!
最重要的 千万别让班纳特先生和别人打起来
- Mamma, I am sure he does not mean to fight.
妈妈 我相信爸爸不会动粗的
- Oh yes, he does!
他会的 我确定
And Wickham will kill him for sure,
不用多想 韦翰会杀了他
unless you can prevent it, brother!
除非你能出面阻止 哥哥!
You must tell him what a dreadful state I'm in!
一定要告诉他我现在有多活受罪!
How I have such tremblings and flutterings.
神经错乱 浑身发抖
Such spasms in my side and pains in my head and beatings at my heart,
腰部抽筋 头痛心跳
that I can get no rest either night or day!
一天都停歇不了!
Sister, calm yourself.
妹妹 保持镇静
And tell Lydia not to give any directions
告诉莉迪亚在见到我之前
about wedding clothes till she's seen me,
不要擅作主张买结婚礼服
for she does not know which are the best warehouses!
因为她根本不知道哪家才是好店!
This is the most unfortunate affair,
这次的事情真是不幸中的不幸
and will probably be much talked of.
一定会引起纷纷议论
Yes, thank you, Mary.
确实 谢谢你的分析 玛丽
I think we have all apprehended that much.
我们已经亲身感受到了
We must stem the tide of malice,
人心恶毒 我们必须加以防范
and pour into each other's wounded bosoms the balm of sisterly consolation.
以姐妹之情来治愈相互受创的心灵
- Mary, pass the potatoes to your aunt Gardiner.
玛丽 把土豆递给嘉丁纳舅妈
- I beg your pardon?
能再说一遍吗?
Never mind. I will.
没什么 我来递
Thank you, Kitty.
谢谢你 吉蒂
That's the first kind word I've had from
自从莉迪亚出走后
anyone since Lydia went away.
我第一次听到表扬的话
It is most unfair, for I have not done anything naughty!
这对一点淘气事都没犯的我太不公平了
And I don't see that Lydia has done anything dreadful either.
另外我不觉得莉迪亚做了多丢人的事情
- Kitty, please!
吉蒂 别说了!
- Unhappy as the event must be for Lydia,
尽管莉迪亚的事情让人极其不悦
we must draw from it this useful lesson:
我们必须从中吸取教训
that loss of virtue in a female is irretrievable.
姑娘家贞节若失 不可追回
My dear Mary, this is hardly helpful.
亲爱的玛丽 现在说这些有什么用呢
For a woman's reputation is no less brittle than it is beautiful.
名誉不比美貌容易保全
Therefore we cannot be too guarded in our behaviour
因此我们面对薄情男子时
towards the undeserving of the other sex.
必须存步留神
Yes... thank you, Mary.
说得好 谢谢你 玛丽
Now, Jane... tell me everything about it that I have not already heard.
简 把我还不知道的一切都告诉我吧
What did Colonel Forster say?
弗斯脱上校怎么说?
Had they no apprehension about anything before the elopement took place?
在私奔发生前他们一点都没有察觉吗?
Colonel Forster did own he suspected some partiality on Lydia's side,
弗斯脱上校确实发现莉迪亚举止有些不妥
but nothing to give him any alarm.
但是没有特别引人注意的事情发生
Lizzy, I feel I am to blame.
丽斯 都怪我不好
I urged you not to make Wickham's bad conduct known.
是我让你不要揭露韦翰的品行的
Now poor Lydia is suffering for it.
如今可怜的莉迪亚深受其害
No one else suspected him for a moment.
其他人都被他骗了
I am, I am to blame!
是我 都是我的错
You are not to blame! No more than I,
错不在你 至少没有我
or Mr Darcy or anyone else deceived by Wickham.
或者达西先生 以及其他被韦翰所骗的人责任大
You have nothing to blame yourself for.
你没有必要责备自己
Others are culpable, not you.
该受谴责的是他人 不是你
She wrote a note for Mrs Forster before she went away.
她在离开之前给弗斯脱夫人留了张条
''My dear Harriet,
亲爱的海丽
you will laugh when you know where I am gone,''
如果我告诉你我的去向 你一定会大笑不止
''and I can't help laughing myself at your surprise
一想到明早你发现我的离开时
tomorrow morning, as soon as I am missed.''
我也忍不住想笑出声
I'm going to Gretna Green, and if you can't
我打算去格利那绿地你应该
guess with who, I'll think you a simpleton,
不会迟钝到 猜不出谁一同前往吧
for there is but one man in the world I love.
因为这世上我只爱着一个男子
Don't send them word at Longbourn of my going.
别告诉浪搏恩的人我去了哪里
It will make the surprise all the greater,
当我以莉迪亚·韦翰署名写信给他们时
when I write to them and sign my name Lydia Wickham!
惊喜的效果才会最大
What a goodjoke it will be.
这将是个多大的玩笑啊
I can scarcely write for laughing!
我笑得连字都写不好了
Thoughtless, thoughtless Lydia!
蠢丫头 没脑子的莉迪亚!
What a letter to have written at such a moment.
这种时刻居然还写出这样一封信
But at least she believed they were to be married,
但至少她相信他们会结婚
whatever he might persuade her to afterwards.
无论以后他会劝她做什么
Our poor father! How he must have felt it.
可怜的爸爸 他怎么承受得起这打击
I never saw anyone so shocked.
我从没见过比他更被震惊到的人了
He couldn't speak for ten minutes.
足足十分钟惊讶得说不出话
Mother was in hysterics,
妈妈歇斯底里
and the house was in confusion.
整栋房子的人不知所措
Lady Lucas has been very kind,
卢卡斯夫人非常善解人意
offering her services.
她提供了不少帮助
She had better had stayed home!
她还不如赶快回家!如今谈何援助
Assistance is impossible, and condolence insufferable.
只有居心不良的深表遗憾吧
Let her triumph over us at a distance and be satisfied!
就让她远远呆着 心满意足地看笑话吧
That is unkind.
这样说可有些有失礼节
- I am sure she meant well.
我确信她是好心的
- Yes, perhaps she did.
是啊或许吧
I am sorry. It's just that I can't help but be...
抱歉 我只是忍不住想
Oh, Jane.
Jane, do you not see that more things have been ruined
简 难道你未发觉 除了莉迪亚名声败坏
by this business than Lydia's reputation?
很多事情也被卷入毁灭之路了么?
I have stayed too long. I shall leave you now.
我已逗留多时 恕我就此告辞
Come in!
请进!
I thought you would not be in bed yet.
我猜你还没有睡
I have been thinking about what you said this afternoon.
我一直在想你中午说的那番话
That it is not only Lydia's reputation that has been ruined.
不单单是莉迪亚的名誉全毁
I was angry and upset. I should not have said it.
我当时气急败坏 我不应该那么说
It does no good to dwell on it.
那句话没起什么好作用
You meant, I suppose, that you and I,
我想你是说 你和我
and Mary and Kitty,
以及玛丽和吉蒂 我们作为她的姐姐
have been tainted by association.
而也受了牵连
That our chances of making a good marriage have been
我们嫁个好人家的可能性
materially damaged by Lydia's disgrace.
因为莉迪亚的鲁莽失礼而近乎抹煞
The chances of any of us making a good marriage were never very great.
嫁个好人家的可能性 原本就不大
And now I should say, they are non-existent.
事到如今 我只能说 可能性已全无
No one will solicit our society after this.
无人再将于我们家交往
Mr Darcy made that very clear to me.
达西先生已明确向我传达了这一信息
Mr Darcy?
达西先生?
Does he know our troubles?
他知道我们家的麻烦事?
He happened upon me a moment after I first read your letter.
我刚读完你的信 他碰巧就来见我
He was very kind, very gentleman-like...
他非常友好 很有绅士风度
..but he made it very clear he wanted nothing
但他明确表明
more than to be out of my sight.
他只想尽快离开我的视线
He will not be renewing his addresses to me.
他不会再和我保持联系了
He'll make very sure his friend doesn't renew his to you.
很明显 他也会阻止他的朋友和你往来
I never expected Mr Bingley would renew his addresses.
我从未期待宾利先生和我再联系
I am quite reconciled to that.
我早已看透了现实
Surely you do not desire Mr Darcy's attentions, do you?
可是你确实无意吸引他的注意 是不是?
No, no. I never sought them.
没有 我从来没有这样想过
But you do think he was intending to renew them?
但你认为他原本是想继续保持联系吗?
- You think he is still in love with you?
你认为他还是爱着你的吗?
- I don't know.
我不知道
I don't know what he was two days ago.
不知道他两天前是怎么回事
All I know is that now he, or any other respectable man,
我只确定 现在 无论是他还是其他绅士
will want nothing to do with any of us.
都无意与我们相识
Lord! Look who's coming!
天 快看谁来了
- Who is it, Kitty?
谁来了 吉蒂?
- Mr Collins, of course.
柯林斯先生 除了他还能是谁?
I'm not going to sit with him for anyone!
打死我也不要和他同处一屋!
I had hoped to condole with your poor father and your mother.
我此次来访 意在向你们可怜的双亲 致以吊慰
Father is still in London,
我们的父亲尚留在伦敦
and mother is not yet well enough to leave her room.
母亲还未能走动离房
Ah. Ah.
这样 这样
I feel myself called on,
我感到自己有责任来一趟
not only by our relationship,
一来出于我们的血缘关系
but by my situation as a clergyman,
二来尽神职人员之责
to condole with you all on the grievous affliction
全家因此次不幸而遭受的无数痛苦
you are now suffering under.
我为此深表同情
Thank you, sir.
多谢关心 先生
It has often been said
先生 正如常言道
that a friend in need is a friend, indeed, sir.
关键时刻相助之人 挚友也
Yes.
没错
Be assured, ladies, that Mrs Collins and myself
小姐们 请安心 我与内人对如今
sincerely sympathise with you in your distress,
盖家所受之苦深表同情
which must be of the bitterest kind,
这苦难无他可比 且一经发现
proceeding from a cause which no time can remove.
永无清洗之日
The death of your sister would have been a blessing in comparison.
或许令妹以死了解反为上策
And it is more to be lamented,
更让人致以吊唁的是
because there is reason to suppose,
此次不幸事出有因
my dear Charlotte informs me,
我亲爱的夏绿蒂告知我
that this licentiousness of behaviour in your sister
令妹此次放荡之举
has proceeded from a faulty degree of indulgence,
实系平日过分溺爱所致
though I am inclined to think that her disposition must be naturally bad.
然而我更相信 此乃天性难改
Now, howsoever that may be,
无论原由何在
you are grievously to be pitied...
各位的处境诚然让人同情
We are very grateful, sir, for your...
万分感谢您 先生 您
..in which opinion I am joined by Lady Catherine de Bourgh
我与凯瑟琳·德·包尔夫人
and her daughter,
及其女儿意见一致
to whom I have related the affair in full.
我将事件细细向其讲述后
They agree with me in apprehending that this false step in one sister
他们与我意见一致 一个妹妹的错误
must be injurious to the fortunes of all the others.
将给其余姐妹带来不可磨灭的影响
''For who'', as Lady Catherine herself condescendingly says,
还有谁 如同凯瑟琳夫人本人尊言
''will connect themselves with such a family?''
还会与此等家庭联姻?
Who, indeed, sir.
确实无人 一针见血 先生
Now, perhaps, in view of that consideration,
既然您已下次定论
you may feel it would be unwise to stay any longer.
恐怕在此地久留 也不为明智之举
Well, perhaps you are right.
或许你说得没错
Yes, perhaps you are right, cousin Elizabeth.
或许确实如此 伊丽莎白堂妹
I always feel that a clergyman cannot be too careful.
长久以来我一直认为神职人员必须处处留神
Especially one so fortunate as to enjoy the condescension
何况是有幸受宠于
and patronage of Lady Catherine.
凯瑟琳·德·包尔夫人的阁下您
Your thoughtfulness does you credit,cousin Elizabeth.
所言极是 十分通情达理 伊丽莎白堂妹
I am very, very sorry for you all!
我为你们深表 无尽的 遗憾!
- Insufferable man!
真让人难以忍受!
- I suppose he means well.
我原以为他是好心而来
You suppose wrongly, Jane.
看来你想错了 简
His purpose was to enjoy our misfortunes
他旨在挖苦嘲讽我们的困境
and congratulate himself on his own happy situation!
为自己的平安现状而偷乐
I think it kind of him to condole with us.
能来安慰我们的他还真是个活菩萨
- Is he gone? - Yes.
- 他走了没? -走了
- Good! - Forever, with any luck.
- 太好了! -最好再也不要来
Here's aunt Philips!
菲利普姨妈来了!
She can tell us the news from Meryton.
她带来了麦里屯传来的消息
- I doubt there's much we care to hear.
不知有多少是有用的消息
- Mother will be pleased.
妈妈见到她会开心的
Well, girls, here's a to-do.
姑娘们 我必须问一句
- Does your mother still keep to her bed?
你们的母亲还是无法离床吗?
- No, but she keeps to her room.
她并没有病倒在床 但是她还不能离房
Well, well, the less the servants hear the better, I dare say.
我得说 这件事情仆人中知道得越少越好
Come, let me to her, Jane,
简 快带我去见她
though Heaven knows I have no glad tidings for her.
虽然我实在没有什么好消息带给她
Every day I hear some new bad tale of Mr Wickham!
每天我都会听到关于韦翰先生的坏品行!
Oh, Mr Wickham, that everybody praised to the skies!
韦翰先生 那个原来大家都吹捧上天的人
Mr Wickham, that half the town was mad in love with.
韦翰先生 半个镇的人都着迷于他
All the time a villain!
事实上却是个恶棍
A very demon from hell sent to ruin us!
从地域被遣来害苦我们的恶魔!
I have heard he's run up debts with every reputable tradesman in the town.
我听说他欠了镇上所有大商富的债
Oh, sister!
姐姐 这可怎么办!
- I have heard tales of gaming debts!
赌博成瘾 欠债无数!
- Oh, sister!
我的好姐姐啊
Of drunken routs, in which more things
酒后闹事 混乱到人头破血流
were broken than heads and furniture, sister!
车仰马翻 妹妹!
Oh, sister, stop!
我的好妹妹 别再说了!
Debauches, intrigues, seductions!
酗酒!图谋!诱骗!
They say there's hardly a tradesman in the town whose daughters were not meddled with!
镇上商人的女儿没有一个不与他有染!
Now he's meddling with our dearest girl.
现在他的魔掌又伸向了我们的莉迪亚
The foul fiend!
这个坏心肠的恶魔!
He shall be discovered and made to marry her!
必须找到他 逼他与莉迪亚成婚!
I have to say, sister,
姐姐 我得说
that I always distrusted his appearance of goodness.
一直以来我便对他那伪善的相貌怀有疑虑
Aye, sister, so did I, and warned the girls!
没错 姐姐 我也这么警告过女儿们!
- Too smooth and plausible by half!
圆滑世俗 花言巧语!
- But would anybody listen to me?
可有谁听进去了?
And now we are all, all ruined!
这下我们家 完全 永远地被葬送了!
Oh, my poor girl. My poor, poor Lydia!
可怜的孩子 我那可怜的莉迪亚!
When shall we travel into Hertfordshire, my love?
我们什么时候动身去哈德福郡 亲爱的?
Come away from the window, dear.
别站在窗边 亲爱的
When I have settled my business affairs.
待我将商事办妥
These things always take longer than one thinks they will.
这些事情总比预料的要棘手
- You're not unhappy, surely?
你看上去不太开心呢
- Lord, no!
上帝 怎么会呢!
Just that I can't wait to see my mother's face!
我等不及想看看妈妈的反应!
And my sisters'. Kitty will be so envious!
还有姐妹们 吉蒂肯定嫉妒死了
How I shall laugh!
想起来我都忍不住大笑
I hope we shall be married from Longbourn.
我希望我们能在浪搏恩结婚
Then all my sisters will have to be my bridesmaids.
这样我的姐妹们就能为我当伴娘
Oh, I do wish we could go out into the town,
不过去镇上也不错
and be seen at plays and assemblies.
在剧院里让人们为我们祝贺
All in good time. Be patient, dear.
一切都会安排好的 耐心点 亲爱的
Lord, it makes me want to burst out laughing
上帝 我真想放声大笑一场
when I think that I have done what none of my sisters has.
我做了其他姐妹都没有做的事情
And I the youngest of them all!
何况我还是最小的一个!
Mother! Here is a letter from my uncle Gardiner!
妈妈!嘉丁纳舅舅寄信来了!
- Father is coming home today!
爸爸今天会回来!
- Does he bring Lydia?
带着莉迪亚回来?
No. He and my uncle have not yet discovered where she is.
不会 他和舅舅尚未找到他们
- My uncle will continue his enquiries alone.
舅舅会一人继续调查
- Coming home without poor Lydia?
没有把可怜的莉迪亚带回来?
Who will fight Wickham and make him marry her,
如果韦翰突然变卦
if he comes away?
还有谁能与他争执 逼他成婚?
Oh, Jane, Jane, what is to become of us?
简 简啊这日子该怎么过啊
Oh, oh, fetch my smelling salts!
快把胡椒粉拿过来!
I feel my faintness coming upon me again!
我感觉我又快晕倒了!
Not now, Jane. Not now, Lizzy.
别说话 简 什么也别说 丽斯
Mrs Younge.
朗夫人
Should I go and get father?
该不该叫爸爸出来?
He has had nothing to eat since he came home.
他回来后就没吃过饭
Let me. You take mother her tea.
我去 你去帮妈妈倒杯茶
Well, Jane.
Elizabeth.
伊丽莎白
Mary, Kitty.
玛丽 吉蒂
You look so tired, father.
爸爸 你看上去很疲惫
- It must have been a dreadful time for you.
这两天你一定很辛苦
- Say nothing of that.
别这么说了
Who should suffer but myself?
除了我谁还该受这份罪?
It has been my own doing, and I ought to feel it.
这是我自作自受
Oh, papa.
爸爸
You must not be so severe upon yourself.
别这么苛刻自己
Let me, for once in my life,feel how much I have been to blame.
这一次就让我承担所有责任吧
I am not afraid of being overpowered by the impression.
我不在乎流言蜚语
It will pass away soon enough.
一切很快就会平息
- Do you still suppose them to be in London, sir?
依你看他们还留在伦敦吗 爸爸?
- Yes, where else can they be so well concealed?
没错 还有更好的藏身之地吗?
Lydia always wanted to go to London!
莉迪亚一直梦想着去伦敦!
She is happy, then. And her residence
那她现在肯定高兴了
there will probably be of some duration.
她估计会住上一段时间
Lizzy.
丽斯
I bear you no ill-will for being justified in your advice to me in May,
我相信五月份时你公正的建议 绝无恶意
which, considering the event,
事到如今证明
shows some greatness of mind, I think.
你的想法是精明的
I must take mamma her tea.
我去给妈妈倒茶了
She still keeps her state above stairs, does she?
她是不是还呆在楼上不肯下来?
Good. It lends such an elegance to our misfortune!
很好 真是关键时刻的英明之举啊
Another time I'll do the same.
下次我也要效仿她
I'll sit in my library, in my nightcap and
我也要泡在书房里 穿着宽松的睡衣
powdering gown, and I'll give as much trouble as I can.
戴着睡帽 大造特造麻烦
Or perhaps I may defer it, till Kitty runs away.
或许直到吉蒂也跑了才稍作变动
I'm not going to run away. If I should go to Brighton,
我才不会和人私奔 如果换我去白利屯
I would behave better than Lydia.
我一定比莉迪亚表现得好
You go to Brighton? I wouldn't trust you as near it as East Bourne.
换你去? 你去最近的东搏恩我都放不了心
Not for fifty pounds!
50磅都不敢给你!
No, Kitty, I have at last learnt to be cautious,
不行 吉蒂 这次事件后我变得谨慎了
and you will feel the effects of it.
将来 你自然会感受到这成效
No officer is ever to enter my house again.
任何一个军官也别想踏进家门!
Or even to pass through the village!
离村子也远点!
Balls will be absolutely prohibited,
舞会理所应当是严禁的
unless you stand up with one of your sisters!
除非你们至少两人结伴出行!
And you are never to stir out of doors until having
每天你们能在家安分呆上十分钟的话
spent ten minutes every day in a rational manner.
我就让你们出门
Well, well, well,don't make yourself unhappy, my dear.
好了好了 别这么沮丧 亲爱的
If you are a good girl for the next ten years,
若在将后十年内你表现得好
I'll take you to a review at the end of them.
我带你去看看他们的队尾
Oh, dearest, shall we not go out tonight?
亲爱的 我们今晚不能出去逛逛吗?
Can we not go to the theatre?
我们去剧院好不好?
- Lord! What in the world is he doing here?
老天 他在这里做什么?
- What?
谁?
- What a joke! - Who is it?
开什么玩笑! 到底是谁?
- You'll never guess! - Who is it?
你肯定猜不到! 快说是谁?
Mr Darcy.
达西先生
Come in.
进来
Thank you, Hill.
谢谢你 希尔
Hill, what is it?
希尔 怎么了?
Is Mrs Bennet asking for us?
班纳特夫人叫我们了吗?
No, ma'am.
不是 小姐们
I beg your pardon, but did you know an express
恕我打扰 不过你们是否知道一封来自
come for master from Mr Gardiner?
嘉丁纳先生的特快刚送到主人手上?
- When did it come, Hill?
这是什么时候的事情 希尔?
- Oh, about half an hour ago, ma'am.
大概半小时之前 小姐们
- Well, Lizzy?
怎么了 丽斯?
- Papa, what news?
爸爸 有什么新消息?
- What news from my uncle?
舅舅说了什么吗?
- Yes, I've had a letter from him.
没错 我刚收到他的一封来信
- What news does it bring? Good or bad?
消息是吉是凶?
- What is there of good to be expected?
事情有向好方向发展吗?
Perhaps you would like to read it yourself.
或许你愿意亲自来读读
Read it aloud, Lizzy.
大声读 丽斯
I hardly know what to make of it myself.
我实在没有心情自己来看
''My dear brother, at last I am able to send tidings
亲爱的哥哥 我终于打听到了
of my niece and Mr Wickham. I have seen them...''
我侄女和韦翰先生的消息我看到他们
It's as I hoped! They are married!
如我所希望 他们结婚了!
''They are not married, nor can I find
他们目前没有结婚
there was any intention of being so,''
我也看不出他们有这个打算
''but if you will perform the engagements I have
但如果你能实行我冒险给你指定的婚约
ventured to make for you, they will before long.''
结婚之日指日可待
- What engagements? - Read on.
什么婚约? 继续读
''All that is required is to assure your daughter
你要做的首先是分给她
her equal share of the 5,000 pounds she will inherit,''
应得的5千磅遗产
''and also allow her, during your life,100 pounds per annum.''
另外在你有生之年每年寄给她一百磅
So little? What about Wickham's debts?
这么少? 韦翰的债怎么还?
Read on.
继续读
''Mr Wickham's circumstances are not so hopeless
韦翰先生的现况没有人们
as they are generally believed to be.''
想象得那么令人绝望
- There! - Read on, Lizzy!
太好了! 继续读 丽斯!
''There will be some little money, even when all
除了还清韦翰的债务
his debts are discharged, to settle on my niece.''
我还可以给侄女一些钱
- I cannot believe it. - Read on.
不敢相信 别停 继续
''We've judged it best that my niece should be
经过慎重考虑 我们认为侄女
married from this house. I hope you approve.''
应该尽快就地结婚
Kitty will be disappointed not to be a bridesmaid.
吉蒂会为不能当伴娘而遗憾的
''Send back your answer as soon as you can,
请尽快回复我
with the explicit financial settlement. Yours,'' etc...
写清具体的财物计划 你最真诚的
How can it be possible he will marry her for so little?
他怎么可能为这么少的钱娶她?
He must not be undeserving, as we thought.
他一定不如我们想象得那么贪图利益
He must truly be in love with her, I think.
他一定是真心爱着她
You think that, Jane, if it gives you comfort.
如果这能让你好受点 简 就这么想吧
- Have you answered the letter?
你回信了吗?
- No, but I must - and soon.
没有? 但我必须回 而且得速回
And they must marry. Yet he is such a man.
尽管他是这样的人 他们必须成婚
Yes, they must marry.There's nothing else to be done.
确实 必须 除此以外别无他择
There are two things I want to know:
但我想知道两件事情
One is, how much money your uncle laid down to bring this about;
一件事 你舅舅花了多少钱办妥了这事?
and the other, how am I ever to repay him?
另外 我该怎样回报他?
I wish I had never spoken of this to Mr Darcy.
真希望我从没和达西先生提过这事
Dear Lizzy, please do not distress yourself.
亲爱的丽斯 别这样给自己施加压力
I'm sure Mr Darcy will respect your confidence.
我相信达西先生会保守秘密的
I'm sure he will. That is not what distresses me.
我相信他会的 这不是我苦恼的原因
- What, then? - I don't know!
那到底是怎么回事? 我不知道!
How he must be congratulating himself on his escape!
现在他一定非常庆幸自己逃脱了这次牵连
- How he must despise me now.
他现在肯定非常鄙视我
- You never sought his love!
你从来没有想得到过他的爱!
Nor welcomed it when he offered it.
在他示爱时也表现得反应平淡
If he has withdrawn his high opinion of you,why should you care?
如果他收回了对你的高度评价 你又何必在意?
I don't know!
这很难说
I can't explain it.
我也说不清楚
I know I shall probably never see him again.
我只知道 今后我们不会再见面
I cannot bear to think that he is alive in the world...
我无法忍受 想起他在世界的某处
..and thinking ill of me.
还带着对于我的偏见