不要成为自己人生的旁观者! Tracy Edwards: Stop being a bystander in your own life

上映日期: 0

语言:

影片类型:

导演:

演员: Tracy Edwards


台词
Being able to navigate is an extraordinary gift,
能够在海上领航是
and there is nothing like it in the world.
全世界独一无二的非凡天赋。
I get no more sense of satisfaction greater than leaving a port
没有什么比离开港口,
and knowing that I can get my team and my boat
并知道我可以让我的团队和船安全地
safely from that port to another port,
从一个港口到达 相距数千英里的另一个港口,
maybe three, four, five, six thousand miles away.
更能让我感到满足。
Being at sea, for me, is ...
对我来说,在海上
it's total freedom,
意味着完全的自由,
and it is the ultimate opportunity to be you,
这是让你成为你自己的终极机遇,
because you can't be anything else.
因为你只能是你自己。
You are naked in front of your peers on a boat.
你在船员面前无处可藏。
It is a small area.
这是一个很小的区域。
Maiden is 58 feet long.
Maiden 船身长度只有为 58 英尺。
There's 12 women in a 58-foot boat.
船上有 12 名女性船员。
I mean, you are literally up against each other,
也就是说,你们每天朝夕相处,
and so you have to be you.
因此你必须展现真实的自己。
The greatest moment for me when I'm sailing
对我而言,航行期间最重要的时刻
is the moment that the land disappears.
就是陆地消失的那一霎那。
It's an indescribable moment of --
这是一段难以形容的时刻——
(Gasps)
(惊叹)
adventure and no turning back,
冒险,勇往直前,
and just you and the boat and the elements.
只有你和船上的一切。
I wish everyone could experience this at least once in their lives.
我希望每个人一生中 至少可以经历一次。
The further you get away from land,
你离陆地越远,
the more you kind of fit into yourself.
越能适应真实的自己。
It is you,
是你来决定
how do we get to the next place,
我们如何到达下一个地方,
how do we stay alive,
我们如何活着,
how do we look after each other
我们如何互相照顾,
and what do we do to get to the other side.
以及我们如何才能成功到达彼岸。
So the question I get asked the most when I go and do talks
每当我做演讲的时候, 最常被问到的问题就是:
is "How do you become an ocean-racing sailor?"
“你是怎样成为一名海上赛艇水手的?”
And that's a really good question.
这是一个非常好的问题。
And I've always wanted to say "I had a vision,
我总是想说 “我有一个愿景,
which became a dream,
它变成了一个梦想,
which became an obsession,"
之后又变成了一种迷恋”,
but, of course, life's not like that,
但是当然,生活不是那样的,
and one thing I'm really anxious for people to know about me
我真的很想让人们 了解我的一点就是,
is that my life hasn't gone from A to B --
我的生活并不是从 A 变到 B——
because how many people can say their lives just go from A to B;
有多少人可以说 他们的生活就是从 A 变到 B,
they think, "I'm going to do this," and they go and do it?
心里想着“我要去做”, 然后就去做了?
So I tell the truth.
所以我说了实话。
And the truth is that I was expelled from school when I was 15 years old,
事实是,我 15 岁那年 被学校开除了,
and my long-suffering headmaster sent a long-suffering note
我那忍无可忍的校长 给我饱受苦难的母亲寄了
to my long-suffering mother,
一张言辞激烈的便条,
basically saying that if Tracy darkens these doors of the school again,
主要的意思是,如果 Tracy 再次把学校的这些门都弄黑了,
then we will call the police.
我们就会报警。
And my mum took me and she said,
我妈妈把我带回了家,对我说:
"Darling, education is not for everyone."
“亲爱的,教育并不适合所有人。”
And then she gave me the best piece of advice anyone has ever given me.
然后她给了我这辈子 收到的最好的建议。
She said, "Every single one of us is good at something,
她说:“我们每个人都擅长某件事,
you just have to go and find what that is."
你只需要去发现那是什么。”
And at the age of 16, she let me go backpacking off to Greece.
于是在 16 岁那年, 她让我背着背包去了希腊。
I ended up working on boats, which was OK --
我最终在船上找到了份工作, 感觉还不错——
17 years old, didn't really know what I wanted to do,
17 岁的我当时 真的不知道我想做什么,
kind of going with the flow.
于是决定顺其自然。
And then on my second transatlantic,
然后在我的第二次 跨大西洋的航行前,
my skipper said to me, "Can you navigate?"
船长对我说:“你可以领航吗?”
And I said, "Of course I can't navigate,
我说:“我当然不懂,
I was expelled before long division."
我很早就辍学了。”
And he said, "Don't you think you should be able to navigate?
他说:“难道你不认为 你应该学着怎么领航吗?
What happens if I fall over the side?
如果我落水了怎么办?
Stop being a bystander in your own life,
不要对自己的人生袖手旁观,
stop looking at what you're doing
别再观察自己在做什么了,
and start taking part."
要主动参与。”
This day, for me, was the day that my whole life started.
对我来说,这一天 是我一生真正的开始。
I learned to navigate in two days --
我在两天内学会了导航——
and this is someone who hates numbers
而我可是一个讨厌数字,
and sees them as hieroglyphics.
纯粹把它们当作外星符号的人。
It opened up avenues and opportunities to me that I could never have imagined.
而这一改变为我提供了 难以想象的途径和机会。
I actually managed to get a ride on a Whitbread Round the World Race boat.
实际上,我还有幸参与了 Whitbread 环球帆船赛。
It was with 17 South African men and me.
全程只有我和17 个南非男人。
I was 21 years old,
我当时 21 岁,
and it was the longest nine months of my life.
那是我一生中最漫长的 9 个月。
But I went as a cook,
不过我担任了船上的厨师,
I managed to survive until the end,
并成功生存到了最后。
and when I got to end of this race,
当我结束这场比赛时,
I realized that there were 230 crew in this race,
我发现这场比赛的 230 名工作人员中,
and three women,
其中只有三名女性,
and I was one of them.
我就是其中的一个。
And I'm a lousy cook.
我是个糟糕的厨师,
I'm a really good navigator.
但却是一个非常好的领航员。
I think the second most profound thought in my entire life was:
我认为我一生中 第二个最深刻的想法是:
"No man is ever going to allow me to be a navigator on their boat, ever."
“永远不会有人允许我 为他们的船领航。”
And that is still the case today.
今天仍然如此。
In 35 years of the Whitbread,
在 Whitbread 35 年的赛史中,
there's only been two female navigators that haven't been on an all-female cruise,
只有两名女性领航员 没有参与过全女性航海,
and that's how Maiden was born.
Maiden 就是在这种情况下诞生的。
That was the moment I thought, "I've got something to fight for."
我当时的想法就是, “我有了奋斗目标。”
And I had no idea that I wanted to have this fight,
而且我当时并不知道 自己要面对的抗争
and it was something that I took to like a duck to water.
竟然让我感到如鱼得水。
I discovered things about myself that I had no idea existed.
我发现了原本以为 自己并不具备的特质。
I discovered I had a fighting spirit,
我发现自己斗志昂扬,
I discovered I was competitive --
我发现自己很有竞争精神——
never knew that before --
我以前从不知道这一点——
and I discovered my second passion,
我还发现了另一件 让我充满热情的事,
which was equality.
那就是平等。
I couldn't let this one lie.
我不能对现状熟视无睹。
And it became not just about me wanting to navigate on a boat
我不仅想在船上领航,
and having to put my own crew together
还想组建自己的航海团队,
and my own team,
招募我自己的队员,
raise my own money, find my own boat,
筹集我自己的资金,找到我自己的船,
so that I could be navigator.
这样我才能成为领航员。
This was about women everywhere.
这事关世界各地的女性。
And this was when I realized
那时我才意识到,
that this was probably what I was going to spend the rest of my life doing.
这可能就是我余生的梦想。
It took ages for us to find the money
我们花了很长时间才筹到钱,
to do the 1989 Whitbread Round the World Race.
得以参加了 1989 年的 Whitbread 环球帆船赛。
And as we looked at all the big,
当我们看着周围所有大型、
multimillion pound, all-male projects around us,
耗资数百万英镑的全男性项目
with their brand-new shiny boats designed for the race,
为比赛设计的炫酷的船只时,
we realized this was not going to be us.
我们意识到,我们必须积极应对。
We had to make this up as we went along.
我们必须不断完善。
No one had enough faith in us to give us this kind of money.
没人看好我们,也没人乐意投资。
So I mortgaged my house,
所以我抵押了我的房子,
and we found an old wreck with a pedigree,
我们找到了
an old Whitbread boat --
一艘旧的 Whitbread 船——
it had already been around the world twice --
它进行过两次环球航行——
in South Africa.
它当时位于南非。
We somehow persuaded some guy to put it on a ship
我们想办法找人把它装到船上,
and bring it back to the UK for us.
运到了英国。
The girls were horrified at the state of the boat.
女孩们都被船的状态吓坏了。
We got a free place in a yard.
我们在造船厂 找到了一块免费的空间,
We got her up on the hard and we redesigned her,
把船架起来, 对船身重新进行了设计,
we ripped her apart,
拆卸后又重新拼起来。
we did all the work ourselves.
我们自己完成了所有工作。
It was the first time that anyone had ever seen women in a shipyard,
这是第一次有人在造船厂看到女性,
so that was quite entertaining.
这很有趣。
Every morning when we would walk in,
每天早晨,当我们走进去时,
everyone would just gawk at us.
每个人都会凝视着我们。
But it also had its advantages, because everyone was so helpful.
而这种优势就在于, 每个人都积极的帮助我们。
We were such a novelty.
我们的出现史无前例。
You know, we got given a generator, an engine --
于是我们得到了
"Do you want this old rope?"
发电机、发动机——
"Yep."
“你想要这条旧绳索吗?” “好的。”
"Old sails?"
“旧船帆?” “好啊,我们收下了。”
"Yep, we'll have those."
于是我们真的就这么
So we really made it up as we went along.
把船装备起来了。
And I think, actually, one of the huge advantages we had was,
而且我认为我们所拥有的 巨大优势之一就是,
you know, there was no preconceived idea
并没有一个关于全女性船员
about how an all-female crew would sail around the world.
如何进行环球航行的 先入为主的想法。
So whatever we did was OK.
所以我们所做的一切都还不错。
And what it also did was it drew people to it.
而且它还吸引了很多人的注意,
Not just women --
不只是女性——
men, anyone who'd ever been told,
还有男人,还有那些曾经被告知过,
"You can't do something because you're not good enough" --
“你不能做某事,因为你不够好” ——
the right gender or right race or right color, or whatever.
或者你的性别、种族、肤色 不适合做什么,等等。
Maiden became a passion.
Maiden 成为了一种激情。
And it was hard to raise the money --
当时筹集资金确实是个大难题——
hundreds of companies wouldn't sponsor us.
数百家公司拒绝了我们。
They told us that we couldn't do it,
他们告诉我们,我们做不到,
people thought we were going to die ...
而且很可能无法 活着到达目的地。
You know, guys would literally come up to me and say,
那些男人真的会来找我说,
"You're going to die."
“你会死的。”
I'd think, "Well, OK, that's my business, it's not yours."
然而我心想,“那又如何? 那是我的事,跟你无关。”
In the end, King Hussein of Jordan sponsored Maiden,
最后,约旦国王侯赛因 赞助了 Maiden,
and that was an amazing thing --
这简直太了不起了——
way ahead of his time, all about equality.
这种尊重性别平等的行为 远远超越了他的时代。
We sailed around the world with a message of peace and equality.
我们带着和平与平等的信息 开启了环游世界的航行。
We were the only boat in the race with a message of any kind.
我们是比赛中唯一 一艘携带着信息的船只。
We won two legs of the Whitbread --
我们赢得了 Whitbread 中的 两个航段——
two of the most difficult legs --
最困难的两个——
and we came second overall.
并且总排名第二。
And that is still the best result for a British boat since 1977.
这一结果目前仍然是自 1977 年以来 英国船只取得的最佳成绩。
It annoyed a lot of people.
这一结果惹恼了很多人。
And I think what it did at the time --
我认为当时的情况——
we didn't realize.
我们并没有意识到。
You know, we crossed the finishing line, this incredible finish --
我们越过了这个 令人难以置信的终点——
600 boats sailing up the Solent with us;
600 条船与我们一起 在索伦特海峡上航行;
50,000 people in Ocean Village chanting "Maiden, Maiden" as we sailed in.
当我们驶进海洋村时, 五万人高喊着“Maiden,Maiden”。
And so we knew we'd done something that we wanted to do
当时,我们知道我们已经 实现了自己想做的事情,
and we hoped we'd achieved something good,
我们希望能够取得好成绩,
but we had no idea at the time how many women's lives we changed.
但是当时我们还不知道 我们改变了多少女性的生活。
The Southern Ocean is my favorite ocean.
南大洋是我最喜欢的一片海域。
Each ocean has a character.
每片海域都有自己的个性。
So the North Atlantic is a yomping ocean.
北大西洋是一片令人敬畏的海洋,
It's a jolly, go-for-it, heave-ho type of --
一片欢乐、自由、疯狂——
have-fun type of ocean.
充满挑战和乐趣的海洋。
The Southern Ocean is a deadly serious ocean.
南大洋的环境则非常恶劣和凶险。
And you know the moment when you cross into the Southern Ocean --
当你进入南大洋的那一刻——
the latitude and longitude --
可以通过纬度和经度来判断——
you know when you're there,
你到达之后就会发现
the waves have been building,
那里风高浪急,
they start getting big whitecaps on the top,
巨浪的顶部不断涌起白色的浪花,
it becomes really gray,
你的眼前只有灰蒙蒙的一片,
you start to get sensory deprivation.
你的感官开始失灵。
It is very focused on who you are and what you are
这种野蛮、荒凉的环境对你的
with this massive wilderness around you.
意志力和信心是极大的考验。
It is empty.
它是如此空旷,
It is so big and so empty.
一望无际。
You see albatrosses swirling around the boat.
你会看到信天翁在船上盘旋。
It takes about four days to sail through their territory,
航行经过它们的领地 大约需要四天,
so you have the same albatross for four days.
因此你在四天内 都能看到同一只信天翁。
And they find us quite a novelty,
它们对我们感到非常好奇,
so they literally windsurf off the wind that comes off the mainsail
于是就借着主帆的风滑翔,
and they hang behind the boat,
栖息在了船的后面。
and you feel this presence behind you,
你会感到身后有东西,
and you turn around,
转过身就会发现
and it's this albatross just looking at you.
有只信天翁正盯着你看。
We sold Maiden at the end of the race --
我们在比赛结束后 就卖掉了Maiden——
we still had no money.
当时的我们依然囊中羞涩。
And five years ago, we found her,
五年前,我们找到了她,
at the same time as a film director decided
与此同时,一位电影导演决定
he wanted to make a documentary about Maiden.
制作一部关于 Maiden 的纪录片。
We found Maiden,
我们找到了 Maiden,
she burst back into my life
她重新进入了我的生活,
and reminded me a lot of things I had forgotten, actually,
让我想起了多年来
over the years,
我早已淡忘的事情,
about following my heart and my gut
关于跟随自己的内心和直觉,
and really being part of the universe.
成为宇宙的一部分。
And everything I find important in life,
Maiden 把我生命中 所有重要的一切
Maiden has given back to me.
都还给了我。
Again, we rescued her --
我们再一次拯救了她——
we did a Crowdfunder --
我们举办了一场众筹活动——
we rescued her from the Seychelles.
从塞舌尔解救了她。
Princess Haya, King Hussein's daughter,
侯赛因国王的女儿哈亚公主
funded the shipping back to the UK and then the restoration.
出资将船运回英国,进行了修复。
All the original crew were involved.
参与那次航行的原班人马
We put the original team back together.
又因此而重聚了。
And then we decided, what are we going to do with Maiden?
然后我们就要决定 怎么处理 Maiden。
And this, for me, really was the moment of my life
对我来说,这确实是 我一生中的重要时刻,
where I looked back on every single thing that I'd done --
我回首了过去所做的每一件事——
every project, every feeling,
每一个项目,每一种感觉,
every passion, every battle, every fight --
每一次激情,每一次战斗, 每一次抗争——
and I decided that I wanted Maiden to continue that fight
我决定让 Maiden 继续
for the next generation.
为下一代而战斗。
Maiden is sailing around the world on a five-year world tour.
Maiden 开启了 为期五年的世界巡航。
We are engaging with thousands of girls all over the world.
我们与世界各地 成千上万的女孩见面。
We are supporting community programs that get girls into education.
我们正在支持帮助女孩 接受教育的社区计划。
Education doesn't just mean sitting in a classroom.
教育不仅意味着坐在教室里。
This, for me, is about teaching girls you don't have to look a certain way,
对我来说,这是关于教育女孩: 你不一定非要看起来怎样,
you don't have to feel a certain way,
不一定非要有某种感觉,
you don't have to behave a certain way.
不一定非要表现出某种行为。
You can be successful,
你依然可以成功,
you can follow your dreams
依然可以实现梦想,
and you can fight for them.
依然可以为梦想而战。
Life doesn't go from A to B.
生活不会直接从 A 变到 B。
It's messy.
而是充满曲折。
My life has been a mess from beginning to end,
我的生活从头到尾都是一团糟,
but somehow I've got to where we're going.
但是最终我到达了 梦想中的目的地。
The future for us and Maiden looks amazing.
对我们和 Maiden 来说, 未来非常美好。
And for me,
对我来说,
it is all about closing the circle.
这一切都是关于实现一个梦想,
It's about closing the circle with Maiden
与 Maiden 一起实现一个梦想,
and using her to tell girls
并通过她来告诉女孩们,
that if just one person believes in you,
哪怕只有一个人相信你,
you can do anything.
你也可以做任何事情。