工作压力的代价——我们该如何减压? Rob Cooke: The cost of work stress -- and how to reduce it

上映日期: 0

语言:

影片类型:

导演:

演员: Rob Cooke


台词
Stress -- we all know what it is and we all handle it differently.
压力——我们对它都不陌生, 我们也拥有不同的解压方式。
Whether it's our thoughts speeding up or slowing down,
不管压力让我们脑中的思绪 急速运转或是迟缓停滞,
eating our emotions or not at all,
让你暴饮暴食,或是食不甘味,
difficulty sleeping or just getting out of bed.
让你彻夜难眠,还是无力起床,
Frankly, it sucks.
坦白说,压力糟透了。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
But there's good stress too, you know,
但压力也有好的一面,知道吧,
like preparing for the biggest public speaking event you've ever given.
比如说,当你在为此生 参与的最大型的公开演讲做准备。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
(Applause)
(掌声)
On a global platform.
在一个全球性的平台上。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
No, even the good stress can mess with you,
不,即便是正面的压力 也会让你头晕转向,
but it's the bad stress that I came to talk about.
但是我今天想谈的是负面压力。
And probably not for the reason you'd expect.
而且估计原因出乎大家意料。
I'm a relationship manager for affluent individuals.
我是一名为富人工作的客户经理,
Meaning, I work with wealthy folks and their families, hip to hip,
意味着,我与富豪 以及他们的家庭紧密地合作,
helping them achieve their financial goals.
以协助他们实现财务目标。
I like to keep the economy in mind, because I know
我经常关注经济情况,因为我知道
that whatever impacts the economy, impacts my clients,
经济若有任何动荡, 我的客户也会受影响,
and it turns out stress is impacting the economy in a massive way.
我发现压力对经济有着巨大的影响。
What if I told you that by some estimates,
根据一些估算,你知道
the cost of work-related stress in the US is close to 300 billion dollars annually?
在美国,工作压力每年 造成的损失接近 3000 亿美元吗?
Workplace stress, the stress causing this massive impact,
影响如此巨大的职场压力
is related to productivity and wellness.
与人们的工作效率和 身心健康息息相关。
Today, that's what we're here to talk about.
今天,我想聊聊这个。
And by the way, it's linked to employee disengagement,
顺便一提,这还涉及到员工离职,
chronic diseases that impact your work
影响工作的慢性病,
and work-related injuries and illnesses.
以及工病工伤。
And when you add up the cost of all five factors,
当你把这五项因素的成本全加起来,
it's an estimated 2.2 trillion dollars annually.
这是每年等值 2.2 万亿美元的损失,
That represents 12 percent of our GDP.
是我们 GDP 的 12%。
Now I know what you're thinking, "That is a lot of money, and how?"
我知道你们在想什么, “怎么会损失这么多钱?”
Stress is this deeply personal thing,
压力是一件极其私人的事,
it's crazy to think it can have such a massive impact.
所以人们很难想象 它会造成如此大的影响。
But consider this thought experiment to explain how.
但试着用着思想试验来解释原委。
Imagine a single mother working a stressful job,
想象一位单身母亲, 她有一份高压职业,
in a stress-filled environment,
在一个高压环境下工作,
where she sits 90 percent of the time.
她九成的工作时间 都处在这个环境中。
Maybe she doesn't have time to cook,
她没有时间烧饭,
so she chooses meals based off of convenience,
那么她会选择便捷的快餐,
which usually means what?
这意味着什么?
Overly processed, high-sugar foods.
摄入过度加工的高糖食物。
Over time, this poor diet, mixed with stress from work,
日复一日,不良的饮食习惯, 加上工作压力,
leads to a chronic disease.
让她患上了慢性病。
Let's call it diabetes.
我们称之为糖尿病。
Medical care cost her and the company more money,
为此,她和她的公司 需要支付更多医药费,
which means more stress.
这意味着更多的压力。
Now, she's worried about her health and making ends meet,
现在,她担心她的 健康状况和收支平衡,
so she's probably distracted and less productive.
她很有可能会分心,降低工作效率。
But she can't be, remember?
但是她可没法这样,记得吗?
She's a single mother.
她是一位单身母亲。
Now she's thinking,
她现在会考虑,
"What if something happens to me?
“若我出事了怎么办?
Who is going to take care of my child?
谁来照顾我的孩子?
Who is going to take care of my baby?"
谁来照顾我的宝贝?”
More stress.
这会造成更多的压力。
Now take that scenario, tweak it whichever way you'd like,
现在,你可以稍许 改变一下故事中的情形,
and lay it over the nation,
并放眼全国,
and you might start to see
你现在或许可以理解,
how we run up against that multitrillion dollar cost.
为什么会有数万亿美元的损失。
This all hits very close to home for me.
我对这件事感同身受。
My father's one of the hardest-working and most intelligent people that I know.
我的父亲是我认识的 最勤劳、最聪明的人。
Don't get me wrong, mom worked and provided too,
别误会,我母亲也工作, 并贡献了许多,
but he definitely embraced the role of being the primary breadwinner.
但父亲绝对是家中的主心骨。
And I'm sure most of us can understand the stress and pressure
我确信在座的大多数都能理解
that comes with taking care of our families.
照顾家庭带来的的压力和苦恼。
But when you combine that with workplace stress,
这种压力再加上职场上的压力,
do you know what could happen?
你知道会有什么后果吗?
Developing irreversible high blood pressure,
造成的是治不好的高血压,
eventually losing function of your kidneys
逐渐发展成肾功能衰竭,
and spending a decade on dialysis -- his fate.
十年来依赖着做透析, 这是他的命运。
Now I'm happy to report that he did get a kidney transplant
我很高兴可以和大家分享, 父亲得到了肾移植,
just last year.
就在去年。
However --
但是 ——
(Applause and cheers)
(掌声和欢呼)
However, for nearly a decade,
但是,将近十年,
neither the economy nor my family got the benefit from his work ethic
不论是我的家庭还是全国经济 都没有从父亲的职业道德
or his intelligence,
或是智慧中受益,
and as he would say,
而他也会说,
that's just really sad commentary.
这非常可悲。
All I'm saying is,
我想说的是,
I think stress impacts the economy by reducing productivity
我认为压力影响经济 因为它降低工作效率,
and increasing health care costs.
并增高医疗费用。
Makes sense?
有道理吗?
Right?
我说的对吗?
But here's what doesn't.
但没道理的是,
Current research from the World Health Organization
现今来自世界卫生组织的研究
puts global spending on health at 7.8 trillion dollars.
显示全球的医疗领域的花费 高达 7.8 万亿美元。
Research from the Global Wellness Institute
全球健康研究所的研究显示
suggests that the 4.5-trillion-dollar global wellness industry
4.5 万亿美元的全球健康产业,
grew from 3.7 to 4.2 trillion between 2015 and 2017,
从 2015 年的 3.7 万亿美元 在 2017 年增长到了 4.2 万亿美元,
and sees that growth into 2022.
并会持续增长到 2022 年。
So what, why do you care?
那又如何,你为什么需要关注这件事呢?
Because that growth is nearly twice as fast as the global economy,
因为这增长速度几乎是 全球经济增长的两倍,
averaging about 3.3 percent in the same period.
后者同期平均增长率是 3.3 %。
So what does all that mean?
那又代表了什么呢?
Every year, we're spending more per year on health,
每年,我们在医疗健康、
and the industries all about developing overall well-being
健康生活和相关产业上
and living a healthier lifestyle
投入的钱
are growing almost twice as fast as the global economy,
正在以比全球经济发展 快两倍的速度急速增涨。
and yet, we're losing trillions of dollars per year in output.
与此同时,每年我们还是 损失了数万亿美元的产量。
So what's up?
这是怎么了?
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Well, stress levels are up,
压力升级了,
and I believe that needs to change.
我觉得这需要改变。
I also believe the way we think about stress needs to change.
我也认为人们对于 压力的观念需要改变。
So let's try by reframing how we view it.
让我们尝试改变看待压力的方式。
See, we tend to think about stress as a consequence,
你看,我们常常把压力 看作是一件事的后果,
but I see it as a culture.
但我却把它看做是一种文化。
Where do most of us spend our time?
我们在什么事上花的时间最多?
At work, right?
在我们的工作上,对吧?
Where we face that scale of finding that work-life balance.
我们面临需要找到 工作和生活的平衡。
So the bonds between work, stress, health and wellness
因此,工作、压力、 健康和良好生活之间,
have never been closer.
从未如此紧密相连。
And yet, there's a massive disconnect
但我们对待职场压力和身心健康方面
in how we approach stress and well-being in the workplace.
还存在着很多脱节。
And we could blame many things, right?
我们可以错怪在很多事上:
New tech,
新的科技,
laser focus on shareholder returns,
股东对于收益回报的过度关注,
or my favorite, keeping up with the Joneses
或者我个人的最爱, 与远亲近邻的攀比,
and taking pictures while we try.
我们喜欢拍照片炫耀。
But at the end of the day,
但说到底,
I'm afraid that we've created a culture
我担心人们创造了一种文化——
where personal care and overall well-being are given the back seat.
把个人健康和良好生活放在第二位。
So how do we move forward?
我们应该如何改变呢?
I believe the answer lies in three fundamental pillars.
我认为答案存在于三个基本板块。
And if you find yourselves thinking,
如果你发现自己在想,
"Rob, I've heard this before, tell me something I don't know,"
“罗伯,这些都是老生常谈, 说一些我没听过的吧。”
ask yourself,
问问你自己,
if we already know what to do,
若我们已经找到了解决方法,
then what have we been doing?
那我们以前都做了些什么?
First, corporations.
首先,公司方面。
Specifically, how a corporation's culture and communication style
具体来说,公司文化和沟通风格
play a pivotal role in the stress and well-being of a workplace.
对职场压力和员工的良好状态 有着举足轻重的影响。
The DNA of a company is its culture, right?
文化就是一家公司的基因,对吗?
It sets the tone,
它奠定了公司的基调,
even goes as far as defining the company.
甚至可以定义整个公司。
But I think companies should invest
我认为公司应该在
in the overall mental, physical and emotional well-being
员工的身体、心理和情感健康上
of their employees
多花心思并多做投资,
the way they invest in innovation, R and D, right?
就如公司在创新、研究 和发展上做的投资一样。
And do I think that this would increase productivity and reduce stress?
我认为这种投资会提高 员工的工作效率并减少他们的压力。
I really do.
我确信如此。
But for it to really stick,
但为了真起成效,
a company has to figure out a way
公司必须找到一种方式
to measure the overall well-being of its employees
来评估员工的身心状态,
with the same accuracy and precision that they project growth and earnings.
其方法应该和预测 发展和收入一样精准。
And if this sounds like a tall order, ask yourself
如果这听起来要求太高, 问问你自己,
what really is a company's most competitive advantage.
公司最有竞争力的资本是什么?
Its people.
是它的员工。
We know this.
我们都知道。
And just like anything in a company, it has to start at the top.
和公司里的所有事一样, 这种改变应该是从顶层开始。
So if you're a leader,
如果你是一位领导,
openly showing how you care for your mental health
向所有人展示 你对于心理健康的重视,
and overall well-being
对于良好身心状态的重视,
is a huge catalyst.
是一个很棒的催化剂。
It's no secret I'm a soccer fan,
我是个足球迷,所有人都知道,
so growing up, I had a couple of coaches.
我成长中,遇到过很多位教练。
And I always had one who would lead the heavy cardio workouts.
有一个总是会带领我们 做很多的有氧运动。
He would not stand on the side and spectate.
他不会站在场外观察。
He would participate.
他会主动加入我们。
And that did three things.
他的行为产生了三种效果:
It made it difficult for me to complain.
令我很难去抱怨;
(Laughter)
(笑声)
I always made sure to keep up,
让我坚持跟上进度;
and I always felt more dialed in to the exercise.
而且总让我更投入训练。
It's the same idea.
这是同样的道理。
And finally, communication.
最后一点:沟通。
In order for me to really help my clients achieve their financial goals,
为了能确保我的客户 达到他们的财务目标,
requires that I actively listen and then respond.
我需要积极主动去听 他们的需求并回应。
Let your employees tell you what stresses them out.
让你的员工告诉你 什么正造成他们的压力。
Let them tell you what wellness benefits they need.
让他们告诉你 什么可以让他们状态更好。
And then act.
并付之行动。
And acting on what they tell you
按照他们的建议,付之行动,
will show how serious you take that feedback,
向他们表明你很认真地 对待他们的建议,
and I can't help but feel the company will win in the long run.
如果是这样,公司肯定会获益。
Why?
为什么?
Because properly equipped employees will be more productive and less stressed.
因为身心健康的职员 效率高,压力少。
Next, I'd like to ask help from everyone's favorite uncle.
接着, 我要请大家的老大哥帮忙。
That's right, the government has to play a role in this.
是的,政府需要在这件事上负起责任。
The World Economic Forum and the Harvard School of Public Health
世界经济论坛和哈佛公众卫生学院
estimate that from 2011 to 2030,
预计在 2011至 2030 年之间,
major chronic diseases and mental illnesses
重大慢性病和精神疾病
will cost the global economy 47 trillion dollars.
会对全球经济造成 47 万亿美元的损失。
And it's 2020.
现在已经是 2020 年了。
Now I'm not saying stress causes all major chronic diseases,
我不是说压力会导致所有慢性病
or all mental illnesses,
或是精神疾病,
but even if a portion of it is,
但即使一部分是由压力所致,
imagine how much lower that number could be
想象这个数字可以降到多低。
if the government did what it does best --
若是我们的政府尽其所能,
serve as the enforcer.
当好一位尽职者。
But in this case, for higher workplace standards.
但是在此情况下, 是为了提高工作环境的标准。
I don't know, maybe even corporate tax-incentive programs
说不定,公司有针对性的缴税政策,
to help raise those standards,
可以帮助提高这些标准。
but the best wellness corporate policies and initiatives
但是公司对于员工 身心健康的政策和企划
backed by a forward-thinking government
即使获得有远见的政府支持,
won't matter much without help from the most crucial pillar.
若是没有关键性的支持 就不会有多大作用。
You.
你。
That's right, stress and managing it is so dynamic,
是的,压力和解压的方式多种多样,
you have to play your part.
但你必须发挥自己的作用。
And it's going to benefit you and the economy.
这会帮助到你和经济。
Look folks, I'm not a psychologist, OK?
朋友们,我不是心理学家,好吗?
But I have taken steps to develop my own mental health
但是我对于自己的心理健康
and overall well-being,
和身心状态做出了积极的响应。
so here's my last two cents.
这是我最后想讲的几句。
I think a crucial first step is for everyone
我认为,大家可以踏出的第一步
is to be honest with themselves.
是对自己坦诚。
About what?
关于什么呢?
About putting your mental, physical and emotional well-being
就是正视自己的身心健康和情感状态,
in the rear view
并直视自己已受到的伤害。
and the damage it has caused.
承认自己有时会将外部舆论 看得比自我评价重要。
Honest about placing public opinion above self-preservation.
想想社交媒体。
Think social media.
正视我们是如何定义自己 和定义自己的究竟是什么。
Honest about how we define ourselves and what actually does.
当然,你的事业的确 塑成了一部分的你,
Sure, your career contributes to a portion of who you are.
但是,我们是否让事业 定义我们太多了呢?
But are we allowing it to define us just a little too much?
问问自己,
And ask,
“这是否和付出的代价相等?”
"Is this bringing me the value I saw with what it costs me?"
我指的不局限于金钱。
And I don't just mean the dollars.
对我来说,坦诚意味着好好看待
For me, being honest meant to get a good, hard look at my relationship
自己的想法,勇气和失败。
with my thoughts, courage and failure.
多年前的一场比赛中,
Started years ago in this tournament championship game,
一个教练来到我面前和我说,
coach comes to me and says, "Rob Cooke,
“罗伯,你得挑起大梁, 我们今天可不能输。”
you step up, we can't lose today."
我当然挺身而出,
So I stepped up.
却失败了。
Failed.
我们输了。
We lost.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
谢谢你们笑我。
Thanks for laughing.
(笑声)
(Laughter)
感觉真好。
Feels good.
我只是开玩笑,但是,
No, but ...
这件事缠绕了我很久,
You know, after that, it stayed with me for a while,
当我遇到很多其它机会, 需要我挺身而出、
to the point where any opportunity to step up,
去成长、发展时,
grow, develop,
我都会低下头,
I'd quietly bow my head,
往后退一步。
step back.
直到我发现了——正念。
And then I discovered mindfulness.
现在,我在每一天生活中 都不断地练习正念。
And I continued to develop it in my daily life to this day.
活在当下。
To live in the present, the now.
我知道,正念可能不适用于所有人,
Now I get it, mindfulness may not be for everyone,
但我想到那些成功人士 和有影响力的人,
but when I think of some of the most successful and impactful people,
我都看到一个共同点。
I see a common trend.
他们都是自己心理状态的大师,
Mastery of their mental game.
其中包括处理压力。
Which includes stress management.
这都与培养自己的认知意识,
It's all about developing awareness,
发现并接受
acknowledgment and acceptance
自己的想法、情感、环境和身体。
of your current thoughts, emotions, environment and physical state.
对吗?
Right?
我不是说永远都不面对压力,
Now I didn't say never facing stress.
而是处理压力的能力,
But the management of that stress --
它可以帮助到你和经济。
that's the benefit, again, for you and the economy.
我希望可以给你们留下最后一点。
I'll leave you with this thought.
我们都知道面对退休, 最重要的是现在多存钱,
We all know that retirement is all about saving more now
为以后做准备。
for later.
如果我们可以用同样的方式
What if we treated our mental health and overall well-being
对待心理健康和身心状态会怎么样?
in the same capacity?
在现今多多发展并储存自己,
Develop and save more of you now
为了以后的生活。
for later in life.
不做和浪费没什么区别,
Doing nothing means more cost,
更糟糕的是,时间在不停流逝。
and worse, less time.
两者中,
And of the two,
哪一个是你不可失而复得的?
which can't you get back?
所以让我们直视压力文化,
So let's start moving this culture of stress forward,
并开始过更开心,更健康
and start living happier, healthier
更有效率的生活,
and hopefully, more productive lives.
谢谢。
Thank you.
(掌声)