香笺泪 The Letter

上映日期: 1,940

语言: 英语

影片类型: 剧情 / 悬疑 / 犯罪 / 黑色电影

导演: 威廉·惠勒

演员: 贝蒂·戴维斯 / 赫伯特·马歇尔 / 詹姆斯·斯蒂芬森 / 弗里达·伊尼斯科特


台词
《香笺泪》
字幕转制|天外生物感谢原字幕制作者
That's Mr. Hammond.
是哈蒙先生
Come inside.
进来
Do you nnow where the new district officer lives?
你知道新来的区警住在哪吗?
Yes, missy.
是,小姐
Send someone for him.
派个人去找他过来
Tell him there's been an accident and Mr. Hammond's dead.
告诉他有意外发生,哈蒙先生死了
Yes, missy.
是,小姐
And get word to Mr. Crosbie.
再通知克劳斯比先生
He's out somewhere on the number four plantation.
他就在四号种植园
No can telephone tonight. Offices are all closed.
今晚没法打电话了,所有的办事处都关门了
Well, send a boy for him. Tell him to come at once.
那么就派个佣人去找他,让他马上过来
Yes, missy.
是,小姐
What are you doing here, all of you?
你们在这做什么,你们这些人?
Go away. Go away, I tell you.
走开,走开,我警告你们
Mr. Withers! Mr. Withers!
维瑟斯先生!维瑟斯先生!
Please stop at Lower Crossway. I take shortcut.
请停在罗厄岔路口,我从树林里抄近路
Right.
好的
Fred, can we get this whole shipment on these cars?
佛瑞德,我们能把所有这些货装上车吗?
- Sure we will, sir. - lf not, we can use the two big lorries.
- 我们一定能,先生 - 如果不行,我们可以用那两辆大卡车
What's the matter?
怎么了?
Mr. Crosbie, Mr. Hammond has been shot.
克劳斯比先生,哈蒙先生中枪了
What? What's that you said?
什么?你刚才说什么?
Mr. Hammond is dead. Missy say hurry.
哈蒙先生死了,小姐请您快过去
Fred, get to the village as fast as you can. Telephone Joyce in Singapore.
佛瑞德,赶去村里,能有多快就多快,给新加坡的乔伊斯打电话
- Mr. Howard Joyce? - Yes, the lawyer.
- 霍华德·乔伊斯吗? - 对,那个律师
Tell him to meet me at Lower Crossway immediately.
请告诉他立刻来罗厄岔路口与我会面
- Right. - And hurry with the shipment to Singapore.
- 是 - 抓紧装载发往新加坡的货物
She's got to be on board by 6.
必须在六点之前装完
- Where's my wife? - She locned herself in.
- 我妻子在哪里? - 她把自己锁在了里面
She wouldn't see me until you came.
你不来她不愿见我
Mr. Withers, I'm Howard Joyce.
维瑟斯先生,我是霍华德·乔伊斯
- How do you do? - Let me in.
- 你好 - 让我进来
Leslie, darling, it's Robert.
莱斯利,亲爱的,是罗伯特
What's happened?
出了什么事?
Leslie, what's happened?
莱斯利,出了什么事?
Didn't they tell you?
他们没告诉你吗?
They said Hammond was killed.
他们说哈蒙死了
Is he still there?
他还在那里吗?
I had your head boy remove the body to a shed.
我让你的管家把尸体搬去了小屋里
He tried to mane love to me, and I shot him.
他想强暴我,我开枪打死了他
Leslie!
莱斯利!
Oh, Robert, I'm so glad you've come.
哦,罗伯特,真高兴你能来
There, darling.
好了,亲爱的
Hold me tight. I'm so frightened.
抱紧我,我真害怕
There's nothing to be frightened about. It'll be all right.
不用害怕,会没事的
Leslie, darling, it'll be all right.
莱斯利,亲爱的,会没事的
Mr. Withers, I hope you understand that I couldn't see anyone...
维瑟斯先生,请你理解,我丈夫来之前…
- ...until my husband came. - I understand, Mrs. Crosbie.
- …我谁也不能见 - 我理解,克劳斯比先生
Howard, how nice of you to come.
霍华德,你能来真好
Naturally, I'd want to be here if I can help.
自然,如果能帮忙的话,我很愿意来这里
- Then you will help us? - Of course I will. In every way I can.
- 那么你将帮助我们? - 当然,我会竭尽所能的
- You're a dear. - Darling.
- 你太好了 - 亲爱的
How's Dorothy?
桃乐茜还好吗?
She's very well and anxious to see you.
她很好,很想见到你
- Has her niece arrived from England? - Adele. Charming girl. She came last ween.
- 她侄女从英国过来了吗? - 阿黛尔,迷人的姑娘,她上星期来的
Here, you better be resting.
来,你最好休息一下
I do feel dreadfully faint.
我确实觉得很虚弱
Come and lie down, darling. I'll get you something to drinn.
过来躺下,亲爱的,我给你拿些喝的
I'm sorry to be so tiresome.
很抱歉我这么麻烦
- You're being very brave. - How long have you been here?
- 你很勇敢 - 你来这多久了?
About an hour. One of the Crosbie houseboys came to fetch me.
大约一个钟头,克劳斯比的一个佣人来找的我
- Was Hammond dead? - Oh, yes. He was just riddled with bullets.
- 哈蒙死了吗? - 噢,是的,他被打成了马蜂窝
- What? - Here's the revolver.
- 什么? - 枪在这里
All six chambers are empty.
六发子弹都打了出去
Here, you two. Better have a drink yourselves.
喂,你们俩,自己去倒上一杯吧
Thanks, but I'm afraid I shouldn't.
谢谢,但我恐怕不能喝
I'll have one, Bob.
我要来上一杯,鲍伯
I'm on duty of a sort, you nnow.
我可以算是在值勤,你知道
Feeling any better?
感觉好些了吗?
Much better, thank you.
好多了,谢谢你
Mrs. Crosbie, I nnow it sounds brutal, but I'm afraid it's my duty...
克劳斯比太太,我知道这听起来很残忍,但是恐怕我的职责
...to asn you some questions.
要求我问你几个问题
I think that can wait until my wife...
我想这可以等到我妻子…
It's all right, really. I feel perfectly well now.
不要紧,真的,我现在感觉很好
Then suppose you tell us exactly what happened, Leslie.
那么请你告诉我们到底发生了什么事,莱斯利
- I'll try. - Take your time, Mrs. Crosbie.
- 我尽力 - 不用着急,克劳斯比太太
Remember, we're all friends here.
记住,在这我们都是朋友
You've been so patient.
你真耐心
Well, as you nnow, Robert was spending the night in Singapore.
嗯,你知道,罗伯特要在新加坡过夜
I never mind being alone.
我从不在乎独自一人
- Planter's wife gets used to that. - My dear.
- 种植园主的妻子们都习惯了孤单 - 亲爱的
I had dinner rather late and started worning on my lace.
我晚饭吃得很晚,然后就开始扎花边
I don't know how long I'd been working when suddenly I heard a footstep outside.
我不知道做了多久,突然听到外面有脚步声
Someone came up on the veranda and said, "Good evening. Can I come in? "
有人来到走廊并说“晚上好,我能进来吗”?
I was startled because I hadn't heard a car drive up.
我很吃惊,因为没有听到有车开来的声音
Hammond left his car a quarter-mile down the road.
哈蒙把车停在了四分之一英里外的路边
Your houseboy noticed it as we were driving here.
我们开车过来时,你的男佣注意到了它
Probably didn't want anyone to hear him.
可能不想让别人听到他
At first I couldn't tell who it was. "Who is it? " I asned.
一开始我听不出是谁,我就问“是谁?”
"Geoff Hammond."
“吉奥夫·哈蒙”
"Of course," I said. "Come in and have a drink."
我说“当然,请进来喝点东西吧”
- Were you surprised to see him? - Well, I was, rather.
- 你见到他很惊讶吗? - 嗯,是的,我很惊讶
- We hadn't seen him for ages, had we? - Three months at least.
- 我们已经很久没见过他了,不是吗? - 至少三个月了
I told him Robert was at the number four plantation...
我告诉他罗伯特在四号种植园…
- ...getting out a shipment. Was that it? - Yes, darling.
- 处理货运的事,是这样吗? - 是的,亲爱的
- What happened? - He said, "I'm so sorry...
- 然后发生了什么? - 他说“很抱歉…
...I was feeling lonely, so I came over to see how you were getting on."
…我觉得很孤独,所以就过来看看你们过得怎么样”
I asned him how he'd come as I hadn't heard a car.
我问他是怎么过来的,因为我没有听见汽车的声音
He said he'd left it on the road. We might be in bed, and he didn't want to wake us.
他说把车停在了路上,我们可能已经上床了,他不想把我们吵醒
I put on my spectacles again and went on with my worn.
于是我又把眼镜戴上,开始做我的针线活
Well, we went on chatting...
嗯,我们继续交谈…
...and then suddenly he said something rather silly.
…接着他突然说一些蠢话
- What? - It's hardly worth repeating.
- 什么? - 这话不值得重复
He paid me a little compliment.
他恭维了我几句
Perhaps you'd better tell us exactly what he said.
也许你最好告诉我们他的原话
He said, "You have very pretty eyes.
他说“你的眼睛很漂亮
It's a shame to hide them under those ugly spectacles."
不该把它们藏在那难看的眼镜下”
Had he ever said anything of the sort before?
他以前说过这种话吗?
- Never, and I thought it impertinent. - I don't wonder.
- 从没有,而且我觉得这很无礼 - 毫无疑问
- Did you answer him? - I said:
- 你回答了他吗? - 我说…
" I don't care twopence what you think about me."
“我一点也不在乎你怎么看我”
He only laughed and said, "I'm going to tell you, all the same.
他只是大笑,并且说“即便如此,我还是要告诉你
I thinn you're the prettiest thing I've ever seen."
我认为你是我见过最美丽的事物”
- I don't understand... - Let her finish.
- 我不明白… - 让她说完
"ln that case," I said, "l can only thinn you half-witted."
我说“既然如此,我只能认为你愚蠢至极”
But he laughed again and moved his chair up closer.
但是他只是大笑,并且把椅子移近了些
"You can't deny you have the prettiest hands in the world."
“你无法否认你拥有世界上最美丽的双手”
Well, that rather put my back up.
好了,这下真让我发火了
My hands are not very good, and no woman wants to be flattered...
我的手不怎么好看,没有女人想被人夸奖…
- ...on her worst points. - Oh, darling.
- …她最难看的部分 - 噢,亲爱的
Robert, you silly thing.
罗伯特,小傻瓜
Well, when Hammond was talning that way, did he just sit in his chair?
呃,当哈蒙说这些话的时候,他只是坐在自己的椅子里吗?
Oh, no. He tried to tane one of my hands.
噢,不,他想要抓起我的一只手
"Don't be an idiot," I said.
我说“别做傻事”
"Sit bacn where you were and taln sensibly, or I shall have to send you home."
“坐回你的位置,说话理智些,否则我就要请你回家去了”
But I wonder you didn't throw him out there and then.
我很奇怪你没有立即把他赶出去
I didn't want to make a fuss.
我不想小题大做
Some men thinn it's their duty to flirt with women...
有些男人认为和女人调情是他们的职责…
...whenever they have the chance. They think women expect it.
…只要他们有机会就会这么做,他们认为女人都喜欢这样
When did you first suspect that Hammond was serious?
你什么时候开始怀疑哈蒙是认真的?
The next thing he said to me.
当他说下一句话的时候
He looned at me straight in the face and said:
他直盯着我的脸,并且说:
" Don't you nnow I'm awfully in love with you? "
“你不知道我深深爱着你吗”?
Swine.
下流
- Were you surprised? - But of course I was surprised.
- 你当时吃惊吗? - 我当然吃了一惊
We've known him seven years, Robert. He's never paid me the smallest attention.
我们认识了他七年,罗伯特,他从来没有真正注意过我
Didn't suppose he even nnew what color my eyes were.
我认为他甚至不知道我的眼睛是什么颜色
We haven't seen very much of him for the last few years.
过去几年里,我们和他没怎么见面
Go on, Leslie.
继续说,莱斯利
Well, he helped himself to another whisny and soda.
嗯,他自己又倒了一杯威士忌加苏打
I began to wonder if he'd been drinning before.
我开始想他之前是不是喝酒了
"l wouldn't have another one if I were you," I said.
我说“如果我是你,就不会再喝了”
I was quite friendly, not the least bit frightened.
我十分友好,一点也不害怕
Never occurred to me I couldn't manage him.
一点没想到会应付不了他
But he emptied his glass and said to me in a funny, abrupt way:
但是他把酒一饮而尽,然后以一种可笑而生硬的方式对我说…
"Do you thinn I'm saying this because I'm drunn? "
你以为我这是酒后胡言吗?
I said, "That's the most obvious explanation, isn't it? "
我说“这是最明白不过的解释了,不是吗?”
Oh, it's too awful having to tell you all this. I'm so ashamed.
噢,要给你们说出所有这些真是太难堪了,真是耻辱
I wish there were some way we could spare you.
我真希望能有办法减轻你的痛苦
Leslie, it's for your own good that we nnow the facts.
莱斯利,我们要知道真相是为了你好
All you can remember of them.
所有你能记得的事情
Very well, I'll tell you the rest.
好吧,我告诉你们后来的事情
I got up from that chair there.
我从那边的椅子上站起来
And I stood in front of the table here.
站在这边的桌子前
He rose and came around the table and stood in front of me.
他站起来绕过桌子,站在我的面前
I held out my hand.
我伸出手
"Good night," I said.
我说“晚安”
But he didn't move.
但他没有动
He just stood there looning at me, and his eyes were all funny.
他只是站在那里看着我,眼神古怪极了
"I'm not going," he said.
他说“我不走”
Then I began to lose my temper.
于是我开始发脾气了
"Poor fool, don't you know I've never loved anyone but Robert?
“可怜的傻瓜,你难道不知道除了罗伯特,我从没爱过别的人?
And even if I didn't love him, you'd be the last man I should care for."
而就算我不爱他,你也将是我最不可能爱上的人
" Robert's away," he said.
他说“罗伯特不在”
Well, that was the last straw.
呃,这就是导火线
I wasn't in the least bit frightened, just angry.
我一点也没有害怕,只是生气了
" If you don't leave immediately," I said...
“如果你不马上离开”,我说…
"...I shall call the boys and have you thrown out."
“我会叫来佣人把你扔出去”
I walned past him toward the veranda to call the boys.
我从他身边走过,去门廊里叫佣人们
He toon hold of my arm and swung me bacn.
他抓住我的胳膊,把我拉了回来
I tried to scream, but he flung his arms about me and nissed me.
我想叫,但他拿胳膊箍住我,想要亲我
I struggled to tear myself away from him.
我奋力挣扎想要挣脱
He seemed line a madman. He nept talning and talning and saying he loved me and...
而他就像个疯子一样说个不停,说他爱我还有…
It's horrible. Can't go on.
太可怕了,我没法继续了
I'm sorry, Leslie, but we'll have to know the rest.
对不起,莱斯利,但我们必须知道后来的事情
He lifted me in his arms and started carrying me.
他把我举起来,想要把我拖走
Somehow he stumbled on those steps.
不知怎的,他绊在了那些台阶上
We fell, and I got away from him.
我们摔倒了,我也挣脱了出来
Suddenly I remembered Robert's revolver in the drawer of that chest.
忽然我想起罗伯特的枪在那个柜子的抽屉里
He got up and ran after me, but I reached it before he could catch me.
他爬起来追我,但我在他抓住我之前拿到了枪
I seized the gun as he came toward me.
在他冲过来时,我抓起了枪
I heard a report and saw him lurch toward the door.
我听到一声枪响,然后看到他蹒跚着走向门边
It was all instinctive. I didn't even know I'd fired.
那纯属本能,我甚至都不知道自己开了枪
Then I followed him out to the veranda.
接着我跟着他走到了门廊里
He staggered across the porch, grabbed the railing...
他踉跄着穿过门廊,抓住栏杆
...but it slipped through his hand, and he fell down.
…但是栏杆从他手中滑开,他倒在了地上
Don't remember anything more, just the reports, one after another...
我什么也不记得了,只有枪响,一声接着一声…
...till there was a funny little clicn, and the revolver was empty.
…直到只剩古怪的啪啪声,枪打空了
It was only then I knew what I'd done.
直到这时,我才知道自己做了什么
My poor darling.
可怜的宝贝
- Mrs. Crosbie... - How did the revolver happen to be there?
- 克劳斯比先生… - 手枪怎么会在这里的?
When I leave Leslie alone...
当我留下莱斯利独自一人时…
...I always feel safer if she has a weapon handy.
…我总是觉得她手边有武器会安全些
I saw that it was loaded before I left, and thann heaven I did.
我走之前特地看了看里面有没有子弹,感谢上帝我这么做了
Mrs. Crosbie, may I say that I thinn you behaved magnificently?
克劳斯比太太,请允许我说你的表现非常出色
I'm terribly sorry that we had to put you through the ordeal of telling us all this.
十分抱歉我们必须让你经受说出这一切的折磨
You're all very kind.
你们都是好人
It's quite obvious the man only got what he deserved.
很明显这家伙是罪有应得
If you'll come with me, I'd like to look around.
能否和我一起过来,我想查看一下
Yes, of course.
是的,当然
Be back in a few minutes.
我们一会就回来
My poor child.
可怜的孩子
Robert, what have I done?
罗伯特,我做了什么?
You did what every woman would have done in your place.
你做了所有女人在这种情况下都会做的事
Only nine-tenths of them wouldn't have had the courage.
只是她们十有八九都没有这个勇气
And yet I'd give almost anything in the world to bring him bacn to life.
但是为了让他起死回生,我愿意付出任何代价
It's so horrible to thinn that I nilled him.
想到我杀了他真是太可怕了
What shall we call this? Late supper or early breakfast?
这应该算什么?晚吃的晚餐,还是早吃的早餐?
I don't care what we call it. I'm famished.
我可不在乎我们该怎么叫它,我饿坏了
You'll have to be very indulgent towards my cooning.
我的厨艺你得多多包涵
- Thank you. - I can't vouch for it.
- 谢谢你 - 我可不能担保好吃
I can and will.
我能,我也会的
As a matter of fact, in England I tried my hand more often.
事实上,在英国时,我常自己动手
But out here, one gets so lazy.
但到了这里,人就变懒了
The boys tane such good care of us.
佣人们把我们照顾得这么好
Funny, the head boy running off tonight.
可笑的是,管家今晚逃走了
Yes, it is odd.
是的,真奇怪
He couldn't have done better than this. Delicious.
他这么做再好不过了,美味极了
- Excellent, Leslie. - Thann you, gentlemen.
- 好极了,莱斯利 - 谢谢你,先生
I think we should start for Singapore when we're finished.
我想结束后,我们就应该前往新加坡
Right away?
马上?
- It's still darn. - lt'll be 8:00 by the time we get there.
- 天还黑着呢 - 我们到那边就该八点了
We'll ring the attorney general and find out when we can see him.
我们给首席检察官打电话,看看什么时候能见他
I thinn that's the first thing to do, don't you?
我认为这是首先要做的事,你觉得呢?
Yes, I think that's the best thing to do.
是的,我认为这是最该做的事
Would I have to be arrested?
我必须得被逮捕吗?
You see, as a matter of fact...
你看,事实上…
You're by way of being under arrest now.
你现在已经被捕了
It's purely a matter of form.
这完全是形式而已
Mr. Joyce's idea is you should go to the attorney general and give yourself up.
乔伊斯的想法是,你应该去首席检察官那里自首
Shall I be imprisoned?
我会被关进监狱吗?
Well, that depends on the attorney general.
呃,那要看首席检察官了
It's possible that after you've told him your story, he'll be able to accept bail.
很可能你告诉他事情经过后,他会能够准许保释的
He's a decent fellow. I'm sure he'll do everything he can.
他是个正直的人,我肯定他会尽力而为的
What do you mean, "be able to accept bail"?
你说“能够准许保释”是什么意思?
Well, my dear, it depends on what the charge is.
嗯,亲爱的,这要看罪名是什么了
What do you mean by that?
这是什么意思?
I thinn it not unlinely that he could say that only one charge is possible.
我想他不是没有可能会说只可能有一个罪名
And in that case, I'm afraid an application for bail would be useless.
而如果这样的话,恐怕申请保释也没有用
What charge?
什么罪名?
Murder.
谋杀
Oh, Robert, Robert.
噢,罗伯特,罗伯特
It's all right. Nobody's going to do anything to you.
不要紧的,没有人会对你做什么的
Nothing's going to happen.
不会有什么事的
We have been happy, haven't we?
我们在一起很快乐,不是吗?
You've been the best wife a man could have.
你是一个男人最理想的妻子
If only there was something I could do.
如果有什么我能做的
You can love me. That's all I need.
你可以爱我,这就是我所需要的
I've always loved you.
我一直爱着你
Yes, but now.
是的,但我现在要你爱我
Leslie, darling, if I could love you any more, I would now.
莱斯利,亲爱的,如果我还能更加爱你,我现在一定会的
All right, darling, I'll get ready.
好,亲爱的,我去准备一下
I don't nnow when anything's impressed me so much...
从没有什么像她说事情的方式…
...as the way she told that terrible story.
…这么让我压抑的
You could see that she was just holding onto herself line grim death.
你可以看出她只是在拼命坚持
I say, what a swine that man was.
我说,那家伙真是太下流了
Did you know Hammond?
你认识哈蒙吗?
- I knew him a little. - Was he a heavy drinker?
- 认识一点 - 他酗酒吗?
I don't know that he was.
我不知道他这样
He could take his whack, but I never saw him actually drunk.
他能喝不少,但我从没见过他喝醉过
I've heard of him, but I never happened to meet him.
我听说过他,但从没遇见过他
He was quite a favorite with the ladies, wasn't he?
他很有女人缘,不是吗?
He was a good-looning chap. You nnow the sort, very breezy, devil-may-care.
他是个长相讨人喜欢的混蛋,你知道这种人,很活泼,漫不经心
Generous with his money.
花钱大方
Did you like him?
你喜欢他吗?
He was the sort of chap you couldn't help lining.
他是那种你无法不喜欢的混蛋
Could you have imagined him doing a thing line this?
你能想像他能做出这样的事情吗?
Well, how can you tell what a man will do when he's drunk?
你怎么知道一个人喝醉时会做什么?
That's true. Well, they ought to be ready pretty soon.
这没错,嗯,他们很快就会准备好了
By George, that's beautiful.
看,乔伊斯,真漂亮
You know, that's just the sort of thing you'd expect her to do.
你知道,那正是她看起应该做的事
That was a quicn change, Leslie. I wish you'd teach Dorothy how to do it.
这变化太快了,莱斯利,希望你能教教桃乐茜怎么做
I wager she's faster than you, at that.
我打赌她变得比你说得要快
Is there room for me or shall I follow?
有位置给我,还是我随后再来?
Come with us. There's plenty of room.
跟我们走吧,位置足够了
- Oh, Leslie? - Yes?
- 噢,莱斯利? - 怎么?
- There's one question I'd like to ask. - Yes, what is it?
- 我想问个问题 - 好,什么问题?
When I was looking at Hammond's body...
当我看着哈蒙的尸体时…
I'm sorry, my dear, but this is a question that's bound to come up.
对不起,亲爱的,但这是一个必须要提的问题
Yes, Howard, what is it?
好,霍华德,什么问题?
It seemed that some of the shots must have been fired...
看起来有些子弹是在…
...after he was lying on the ground.
…他倒在地上后才射出的
I know it must sound terribly cold-blooded...
我知道这听起来一定十分冷血
...but I was so terrified.
…但是我太害怕了
Everything was confused and blurred. I didn't nnow what I was doing.
一切都是那么混乱和模糊,我不知道自己做了些什么
Of course. I shouldn't have brought it up tonight.
当然,我不该在今晚提起它
Put it out of your mind.
让它从脑海中消失吧
Will you please come in?
请进
Thank you.
谢谢你
- Hello, Bob. - Howard.
- 你好,鲍伯 - 霍华德
Have a chair, old man.
请坐,老伙计
If I can be of any assistance, I shall remain within call.
如果能帮上什么忙的话,我将随叫随到
Not at the moment, Ong. Thanks.
现在不用,昂,谢谢
Ong's been of great help on the case.
昂在这件案子上帮了很多忙
Finds out everything.
寻找证据
Perfect confidential clerk.
还能很好地保密
Trouble is, after he's left my business...
问题是,在他离开我手下后…
...he'll set up his own office in opposition.
…他将建立自己的办事处和我竞争
- How is everything? - Everything's fine.
- 一切还好吗? - 一切都好
Now, sit down, Bob. In fact, she's much better than you.
现在,坐下,鲍伯,事实上她情况比你要好得多
It's funny that you've tanen it so much harder.
有趣的是你比她要难过的多
Leslie hasn't turned a hair.
莱斯利眼皮都没眨一下
She's worth ten of me. I don't mind confessing, I'm all in.
她比我要强十倍,我不介意承认,我疲倦极了
It's our first separation for more than a day or two since we were married.
这是我们结婚后第一次,分开超过一到两天
But your plantation. What about that?
但是你的种植园,那又怎么样?
I've tried to worn. The plantation can go to blazes for all I care.
我已经精疲力尽了,种植园就是烧成灰烬也不关我事了
I hate the house and every tree on the place.
我恨这幢房子和这里的每棵树
Why don't you come and stay in town with us?
你为什么不来城里和我们住在一起?
Dorothy's for it, and so am l.
桃乐茜同意,我也是
Thanks, I think I will.
谢谢,我想我会的
I won't be so lonely.
我就不会那么孤单了
It'll mane me feel better just to be that near.
只是能住这么近就让我觉得好多了
I know you think I must be mad, Howard. Maybe I am.
我知道你一定认为我疯了,霍华德,也许我真疯了
I haven't closed my eyes the last three nights.
我已经连续三个晚上没合眼了
Get some sleep and out of those clothes before you see Leslie.
在去见莱斯利前,睡一会并换身衣服吧
You don't want her to have to cheer you up.
你不想让她还得设法来让你振奋吧
She's a plucny girl.
她是个勇敢的女孩
It's monstrous to have nept her in that filthy prison all this time.
把她一直关在这样肮脏的监狱真是里太可怕了
They had no choice. Anyhow, it's less than a ween now and she'll be free.
他们也没有办法,不管怎样,还有不到一周她就能自由了
It's a farce. Why mane her go through the ordeal of a trial?
这是个闹剧,为什么要让她经受审判的折磨?
Because she admitted nilling, and in a civilized community, a trial's inevitable.
因为她承认了杀人,而在文明社会里,审判是不可避免的
She shot him as she would have shot a mad dog.
她开枪打了他,就像会打一条疯狗一样
You don't have to convince me, Bob.
你不用来说服我,鲍伯
I know. I'm sorry.
我知道,对不起
Strange that Hammond was able to neep his life so hidden.
很奇怪哈蒙能让自己的生活如此隐密
That gambling house he owned, and especially the Eurasian woman.
他拥有的那家赌馆特别还有欧亚女人
I thinn it was finding out about her that turned opinion so against him.
我想正是她的出现,使得人们对他如此反感
- Will she be one of the witnesses? - I shan't call her.
- 她会成为证人吗? - 我不会传唤她的
I'll just produce evidence that Hammond was married to her.
我将只制造哈蒙和她结了婚的证据
Well, I know you're busy, Howard.
嗯,我知道你很忙,霍华德
- I can't tell you how grateful I am. - Nonsense, Bob.
- 我无法告诉你我有多感激 - 胡说,鲍伯
Now, stop worrying about the trial. That's your lawyer's job.
现在,别在担心审判了,那是律师的工作
So long, Bob.
再见,鲍伯
- Bring your things across soon as you can. - Right.
- 尽快把你的东西拿过来吧 - 好的
Come in.
请进
- Yes? - lf you are not too busy, sir...
- 怎么? - 如果你不太忙的话,先生…
...might I trouble you for a few words in private conversation?
…我能不能麻烦一下和你单独说几句话?
No trouble at all, Ong.
没问题,昂
The matter upon which I desire to spean to you...
我想和你说的事情是…
...is very delicate and confidential.
…十分微妙而机密的
Well, what matter is it?
好吧,是什么事?
It has to do with the case of The Crown v. Crosbie.
它和克劳恩与克劳斯比的案子有关
Yes?
怎么?
A circumstance has come to my attention, sir...
我注意到了一个情况,先生…
...which seems to put a different complexion on the case.
…它使得这件案子出现了新的局面
Please come to the point, Ong. What circumstance do you refer to?
请简明扼要,昂
A friend has brought me information, sir, that there is in existence a letter...
有个朋友为我带来了消息,存在着这样一封信
...from the defendant to the unfortunate victim of the tragedy.
…是被告写给这起悲剧不幸的受害人的
That's not surprising.
这并不奇怪
During the course of seven years...
在这七年当中…
...I've no doubt Mrs. Crosbie often had occasion to write to him.
…毫无疑问,克劳斯比太太在很多情况下都会给他写信
But the letter, sir, was written on the day of the late Mr. Hammond's death.
但是这封信,先生,是写在已故的哈蒙先生被杀的当天
Well?
还有呢?
You will, no doubt, recall, sir, that Mrs. Crosbie has stated...
你无疑会回忆起,先生,克劳斯比太太说过
...that until the fatal night, she'd had no communication with the deceased...
…在命案当晚之前,她和死者已经有几个星期…
...for several weens.
…没联系了
Yes?
所以?
In my opinion, this letter indicates that her statement, perhaps...
在我看来,这封信显示她的叙述,也许…
...was not in every respect accurate.
…并不完全准确
Have you seen the letter?
你看过这封信吗?
I have with me a copy, sir.
我带来了一个副本,先生
The original is in possession of a woman.
原件由一位女士所有
She happens to be the widow of Mr. Hammond, deceased.
她就是已故的哈蒙先生的太太
What manes you thinn this letter was written by Mrs. Crosbie?
你凭什么认为这封信是克劳斯比太太写的?
I have every confidence in the veracity of my informant, sir.
我绝对相信我信息的真实性,先生
That's more than I have. It's inconceivable...
这令我无法接受,真令人无法想像…
...that Mrs. Crosbie should have written such a letter.
…克劳斯比太太会写这样一封信
Might I suggest, sir, that it would be well to mane sure?
我能提个建议吗,先生,是不是先确定一下比较好?
Since my friend is of the opinion that the letter might be of some interest...
因为我的朋友认为这封信可能会…
...to the prosecutor.
…令检控官感兴趣的
I'm obliged to you, Ong. I'll give the matter my consideration.
非常感谢,昂,我会考虑这件事的
Very well, sir. Do you wish me to communicate that to my friend?
很好,先生,你想要我和我的朋友联系吗?
- lt might be well to keep in touch with him. - Thank you, sir.
- 最好和他保持联系 - 谢谢你,先生
Yes, sir.
是,先生
Thank you, sir. Mr. Joyce?
谢谢你,先生,乔伊斯先生?
Mr. Reed was coming to see you in half an hour. I've canceled the appointment.
里德先生本来在半小时内要来看你,我取消了这个约会
Yes.
Yes, that's right.
好,很对
Stay in the visiting room as long as you want.
在会客室里想呆多久,就呆多久
- The warden's orders. - That's very nice of him. Thann you.
- 这是看守的命令 - 他真好,谢谢你
Howard, how good of you to come.
霍华德,你能来真好
- Morning, Leslie. - I wasn't expecting you.
- 早上好,莱斯利 - 我没想到你会来
- How are you today, Mrs. Cooper? - Fine. It's a different place...
- 你今天还好吗,库珀太太? - 还好,自从克劳斯比太太来后…
- ...since Mrs. Crosbie's been here. - She's been so nind. Everyone has.
- 这里就完全不同了 - 她人太好了,觉得每个人都是好人
It's a shame she has to stay here at all.
把她关在这里是可耻的
Well, I'll just wait outside. You can call me when you're finished, Mrs. Crosbie.
好,我就等在外面,好了就叫我,克劳斯比太太
Thank you.
谢谢你
Oh, how lovely. I do miss my garden.
噢,真可爱,我真想念我的花园
You're looking very well, Leslie.
你看起来很不错,莱斯利
Well, this is a wonderful place to rest.
嗯,这是个休息的好地方
Well, it's only five days more.
再过五天就好了
I nnow. Every morning when I wane up, I say, "One less."
我知道,每天早上起来时,我都会说“又少了一天”
Just line I used to when I was in school with the holidays coming.
就像当假期将要来临时,我在学校做的一样
Don't feel sorry for me. The time has passed very quickly.
不用为我感到难过,时间过得很快
Done a good deal of reading, and I've worned on my lace.
我读了许多书,还做了不少针线活
It's Robert I'm worried about.
我担心的是罗伯特
He's taking it terribly hard.
他想得过于严重了
Poor darling.
可怜的宝贝
He's much more anxious about you than you seem to be about yourself.
他看起来比你自己还担心你
Well, Howard, I must confess to you...
霍华德,我必须向你坦白…
...I'm not looning forward to testifying in court.
…我不希望在法庭上做证
One thing that's impressed me is that every time you've told your story...
有一件事令我印象深刻,每次你重复事件经过时……
...you've told it in exactly the same words. You've never varied a hairsbreadth.
…你用的都是完全相同的话语,从没有过丝毫的不同
And what does that suggest to your legal mind?
这对你的法律头脑又有什么启发呢?
Well, it suggests either that you have an extraordinary memory...
这表明你要么有着超常的记忆…
Or?
或者?
Or that you're telling the plain, unvarnished truth.
或者你说的是平实而未经修饰的事实
I'm afraid I have a very poor memory.
恐怕我的记性并不怎么好
I suppose I'm right in thinking that you had no communication with Hammond...
我想你和哈蒙在事发前几周内…
- ...for several weens before the catastrophe. - I'm positive of that.
- …都没有过联系,对吧? - 我肯定
The last time I saw him was at a tennis party at the McFarrens'.
我最后一次见到他是在迈克法伦家的网球聚会上
Don't suppose I said more than two words to him.
我记得我和他说了不超过两句话
They have two courts, you nnow, and we played different sets.
他们有两个球场,你知道我们打了几局
- And you hadn't written to him? - Oh, no.
- 你没给他写过信吗? - 噢,没有
Well, at one time you were on fairly intimate terms with him.
嗯,你曾经和他有过非常亲密的关系
How did it happen that you stopped asning him to anything?
你为什么突然不再请他过来了?
Well, we didn't have much in common, and he's very popular, you nnow.
嗯,我们没有什么共同语言,而且他很受欢迎,你知道
A lot of calls upon his time, and...
他花大量的时间四处做客,所以…
...well, I didn't see the necessity of showering him with invitations.
…嗯,我觉得没有必要再给他增加请柬了
You're quite certain that was all?
你确定这就是全部原因吗?
Well, I may as well tell you...
我最好告诉你…
We heard about his wife.
我们听说了她妻子的事
And once, quite by chance, I actually saw her.
而且有一次我偶然见到了她
Oh? You never mentioned that.
噢?你从没提到过
- What was she like? - Horrible.
- 她什么样? - 很可怕
She was all covered with gold chains and bracelets and spangles...
她身上珠光宝气…
...her face like a mask.
…把她的脸照得像个面具一样
And it was after you nnew about her that you stopped...
那么就在你见到她后,你停止了…
- ...having anything to do with Hammond? - Yes.
- …与哈蒙的联系? - 是的
I thinn I should tell you that there is in existence a letter in your handwriting...
我想我应该告诉你存在一封有你的笔迹的信…
...from you to Geoff Hammond.
…是你写给吉奥夫·哈蒙的
Well, I often wrote him a little note about something or other...
呃,我经常就一些事情给他写些便条…
...or to get me something if I heard he was going into Singapore.
…或者让他去新加坡时给我带些东西
This letter asks him to come and see you because Robert was going to be away.
这封信是请求他过来看你,因为罗伯特要出门了
But that's impossible. You see, I never did anything of the kind.
但这是不可能的,你看,我从不做这样的事情
Better read it for yourself.
你最好自己读一下
- But that's not my handwriting. - I nnow.
- 但这不是我的笔迹 - 我知道
It's said to be an exact copy of one written on the day of Hammond's death.
据说这是哈蒙死去当天你写的一封信的副本
What does it mean?
这是什么意思?
- That's for you to say, Leslie. - I didn't write it. I swear I didn't.
- 这该由你来解释,莱斯利 - 我没有写它,我发誓没有
If the original is in your writing, it'd be useless to deny it.
如果原件上是你的笔迹,否认也没有用的
- Then it'll be a forgery. - Be difficult to prove that.
- 那一定是伪造的 - 那将很难证明
- Be easy to prove it was genuine. - It's not dated.
- 要证明是真的却很简单 - 上面没有日期
It might've been written years ago. If you'll just give me time, I'll try to remember.
可能是几年前写的,如果给我些时间,我可能会设法记起
Leslie, the prosecution could cross-examine your houseboys.
莱斯利,原告方可能会诘问你的佣人的
They'd find out whether someone took a letter to Hammond the day of his death.
他们会查出是否有人在哈蒙被杀当天给他送过信
Howard, I swear to you, I did not write this letter.
霍华德,我向你发誓,我没写这封信
Well...
呃…
...if you've nothing more to say to me...
…如果你没有什么再对我说的…
...I'll get back to the office.
…我就回办公室去了
Howard, wait.
霍华德,等等
Wait a minute.
等一下
I did write that letter, but I was afraid to mention it.
我确实写了那封信,但我不敢提起它
I thought none of you would believe me...
我想如果承认他是我请来的…
...if I admitted that he'd come at my invitation.
…你们就没人会相信我了
I daresay it was terribly silly of me...
我敢说我真是太傻了…
...but once I'd said I had no communication with Hammond, I was forced to sticn to it.
…但是一旦我说了自己和哈蒙没有联系,我就得坚持下去
Then you'll have to explain why you asned him to come see you...
那么你必须解释为什么在罗伯特出门时…
...when Robert was away.
…请他过来见你
Well, I'll tell you why, Howard.
好,我告诉你原因,霍华德
I was planning a surprise for Robert's birthday.
我本准备给罗伯特的生日一个惊喜
I'd heard he wanted a new gun, and...
我听说他想要一把新手枪—
Well, I'm so dreadfully stupid about sporting things.
而我自己对这些东西一窍不通
I thought I'd taln to Geoff and asn him to order one.
我想我可以告诉吉奥夫,请他帮我定一把
Perhaps you've forgotten what's in the letter.
也许你已经忘了信的内容
Will you read it again?
你想再读读吗?
No, I don't want to.
不,我不想
"Robert will be away for the night.
“罗伯特今晚会出门
I absolutely must see you.
我必须要见你
I'm desperate, and if you don't come, I won't answer for the consequences.
我要绝望了,如果你不来,一切后果由你负责
Don't drive up. Leslie."
把车停远些,莱斯利”
Leslie, I shall have to taln very plainly to you.
莱斯利,我必须坦白对你说
I told Robert just now that I was certain of your acquittal.
我刚告诉罗伯特,我很确定你将无罪释放
I didn't say that just to cheer him up.
我这么说并不只是要让他开心
I don't believe the jury would have left the box.
我相信陪审团甚至都不用进行讨论
This letter places an entirely different complexion on the whole case.
这封信使这整起案子的情况完全改变了
It'll put the prosecution on the track of...
它会使原告占得上风…
...suspicions which have entered nobody's mind.
…令所有人都心存怀疑
I won't tell you what I personally thought when I read the letter.
我不会告诉你当我自己读到这封信时是如何想的
It's the duty of counsel to defend his client...
律师的职责是为客户辩护…
...not to convict her, even in his own mind.
…而不是给她定罪,甚至不能有这样的想法
I don't want you to tell me anything but what is needed to save your necn.
我只是想让你告诉我那些能够救你一命的事情
They can prove that Hammond came to your house at your urgent invitation.
他们可以证明哈蒙是在你的紧急邀请下来到你家的
I don't nnow what else, but if the jury comes to the conclusion...
我不知道还会有什么,但是如果陪审团做出结论…
...that you didn't nill Hammond in self-defense...
…你杀死哈蒙并非出于自卫…
Mrs. Cooper!
库珀太太!
Good heavens! What's happened?
天啊!出什么事了?
I'm quite all right. Really, I am.
我很好,真的,我没事
Just lie quiet and rest, Mrs. Crosbie.
躺下休息一下,克劳斯比太太
She's just been too brave, poor little thing, and not eating enough.
她只是过于坚强了,可怜的小姑娘,而且吃的也不够
I feel fine now, Mrs. Cooper. You go on about your duties.
我觉得好多了,库珀太太,去做你的事吧
As Mr. Joyce is here, I will. I'll come bacn and see how you are.
既然乔伊斯先生在,我就听你的,我会回来看看你的情况的
Thank you.
谢谢你
Make her lie quiet, Mr. Joyce.
让她静静躺一会,乔伊斯先生
I'm afraid I've made rather a mess of things.
恐怕我把事情弄得一团糟了
I'm sorry.
对不起
For Robert, not for me.
你是为罗伯特难过,而不是为了我
You've distrusted me from the beginning.
你从一开始就不相信我
That's neither here nor there, Leslie.
这并不重要,莱斯利
Who's got the letter?
信在谁手里?
Hammond's wife.
哈蒙的妻子那里
Are you going to let them hang me?
你准备让他们吊死我吗?
What do you mean by that, Leslie?
你这是什么意思,莱斯利?
You could get the letter.
你能把信弄到的
Do you thinn it's so easy to do away with unwelcome evidence?
你认为销毁不利证据是那么容易的吗?
Surely nothing would have been said to you...
如果拿着信的人不是准备出售它的话…
...if the owner weren't quite prepared to sell it.
…你肯定不会得到任何消息的
That's true.
没错
- But I'm not prepared to buy it. - lt wouldn't be your money.
- 但我不准备买它 - 不会花你的钱的
- Robert has saved... - I wasn't thinking of the money.
- 罗伯特存了… - 我考虑的不是钱的问题
I don't know if you'll understand this, but I look on myself as an honest man.
我不知道你是否理解,但是我视自己为一个诚实的人
You're asking me to do something no better than suborning a witness.
你要我做的事比贿赂证人好不了多少
You mean you could save me and won't? What harm have I done you?
你是说你能救我,但不愿意这么做?我哪惹着你了?
- How could you be so cruel? - Cruel? You must be insane, Leslie.
- 你怎么能这么残忍? - 残忍?你一定是疯了,莱斯利
A lawyer has a duty to his profession...
律师对他的职业…
...to himself.
…对他自己都要负责任
No.
I can't do what you ask.
我不能做你所要求的事情
Poor Robert. He doesn't deserve it.
可怜的罗伯特,他不该遭这个罪
He's never hurt anyone in his life.
他一辈子从来没伤害过别人
He's so good and simple and nind, and he trusts me so.
他是那么纯朴善良,这么的信任我
I mean everything...
我就是一切…
...everything in the world to him.
…就是他在这世上的一切
This will ruin his life.
这会毁了他的一生
I nnow what you're thinning.
我知道你在想什么
You despise me. You thinn Bob well rid of me if they do hang me.
你看不起我,你在想如果他们真把我吊死,鲍伯就能摆脱我了
I don't despise you.
我没有看不起你
It isn't important what I feel about you, do you understand?
我对你的感觉如何并不重要,明白吗?
I'm going to do what I can.
我会竭尽全力的
Bob will want to know what the money's for.
鲍伯会想知道钱都花到了哪里
Will it be a very large sum?
需要的数目大吗?
I imagine the woman has a shrewd idea of the letter's value.
我想那女人十分清楚这封信的价值
You won't have to show Bob the letter, will you?
你不必给鲍伯看这封信,不是吗?
I'll do everything possible to prevent him from seeing it.
我会尽力不让他看到信的
He'll be an important witness.
他将是个重要证人
He should be as firmly convinced of your innocence as he is now.
他应该和现在一样坚定,地相信你是无辜的
And after the trial?
审判后呢?
I'm going to try and save your life.
我会尽力挽救你的生命的
But if he loses his trust in me, he loses everything.
但如果他失去了对我的信任,他就会失去一切
It's strange that a man can live with a woman for 1 0 years...
真奇怪一个男人和一个女人一起生活了十年…
...and not nnow the first thing about her.
对她还没有基本的了解
What are you doing here, Ong?
你在这做什么,昂
I thought perhaps there was something further you wished me to do.
我想你也许还有什么事需要我做
What about?
关于什么?
The letter, sir.
那封信,先生
Oh, yes.
噢,是的
Mrs. Crosbie denies having written anything of the sort.
克劳斯比太太否认写过这封信
It's obviously a forgery.
那很明显是伪造的
In that case, there would be no objection...
既然这样,你们自然不会反对…
...if my friend delivered the letter to the public prosecutor?
…我朋友把这封信交给检控官?
No, none at all.
不,一点也不
But, Mr. Joyce...
但是,乔伊斯先生…
...from my study of the case, I believe that if my friend could be induced...
…从我对这起案子的研究来看,我相信如果我的朋友能够被说服…
...to deliver the letter into our hands, it would save...
…把信交到我们手里,那就能救…
It would save a great deal of trouble.
就能省去很多的麻烦
Under what circumstance would your friend be "induced" to part with the letter?
既然这样,你的朋友能被“说服”把信交出来吗?
But my friend does not have the letter. The woman has it.
但我的朋友没有信,信在那女人手里
She did not nnow its value until my friend told her.
她并不知道信的价值,直到我朋友告诉她
What value did he put on it?
他认为它的价值有多少?
Ten thousand dollars.
一万美元
Only 1 0,000? Why not 50, or 1 00?
只有一万?为什么不要五万或者十万?
For the reason, sir...
至于原因嘛,先生…
...that Mr. Crosbie has in the bann of the British Malaya Company in Singapore...
…是因为克劳斯比先生在新加坡大不列颠马来公司的银行帐户中…
...a savings account in the amount of $1 0,452.
…有十万零四百五十二元的存款
Tell your friend to go to the devil.
告诉你的朋友见鬼去吧
But, Mr. Joyce...
但是,乔伊斯先生…
The woman does not want to sell the letter.
那女人不想卖这封信
My friend toon a long time to persuade her.
我朋友花了很长时间才说服她
Ten thousand dollars is a lot of money, Ong...
一万美元可不是个小数目,昂…
...just to save some trouble.
…如果只是为了省点麻烦的话
Yes, sir.
是的,先生
It is a great deal of money.
这是一大笔钱
I'll speak to Mr. Crosbie.
我会和克劳斯比先生谈的
- He's waiting for you at the club, sir. - What?
- 他正在俱乐部里等你,先生 - 谁?
We have not much time, and the matter, in my opinion, permits no delay.
我们时间不多了,而在我看来,这件事是刻不容缓
Therefore, I took the liberty of asking Mr. Crosbie to have lunch with you.
因此,我自做主张邀请了克劳斯比先生与您共进午餐
All right. Have the woman come to my office.
好吧,让那个女人来我的办公室
I was about to mention, sir...
我正想说,先生…
...she made two conditions.
…她提了两个条件
She insists that the money shall be brought to her.
她坚持钱应该送去她那里
I can tane you to the house whenever you are ready, sir.
只要你准备好了,我就能带你去她那,先生
And the other condition?
另一条件呢?
That Mrs. Crosbie bring it to her, personally.
要由克劳斯比太太亲自给她送去
You must be mad.
你一定是疯了
You suppose Mrs. Crosbie can just walk out whenever she feels like it?
你以为克劳斯比太太能随随便便就出来吗?
My friend thinns that you could arrange for her to stay at your house until the trial.
我朋友认为,你能安排她住在你家里直到进行审判
I'm sure the judge will permit it if you are responsible for her, sir.
我确信只要你负责任,法官会允许的,先生
Ong Chi Seng.
昂奇森
Yes, sir?
是,先生?
What are you getting out of this?
你从中拿到多少好处?
Two thousand dollars...
两千元…
...and the great satisfaction of being of service to you and our client.
…以及能为您和我们的客户服务的巨大满足感
Howard.
霍华德
You're looking more cheerful, Bob.
你看起来高兴多了,鲍伯
Better since this morning. You've convinced me there's nothing to worry about.
比早上好多了,你说服了我,没有什么可担心的
- Gentlemen. - Two gin slings, Jerry.
- 点些什么,先生们 - 两杯杜松子酒,杰瑞
Yes, sir.
是,先生
Well, as a matter of fact, something's come up, Bob.
呃,事实上,出了一些事情,鲍伯
Nothing important...
不是什么大事…
...but I thought I'd better have a talk with you about it.
…但我认为最好和你谈谈
Well, what is it?
好,什么事?
It seems that Leslie wrote a letter to Hammond...
看起来莱斯利给哈蒙写过一封信…
...asning him to come to the bungalow on the night he was nilled.
…请他在被杀的当晚去你们家
Impossible. You heard her say she'd had no communication...
不可能,你听到了她说已经几周…
- ...with him for weens before it happened. - Nevertheless, she did write it.
- …没和他联系了 - 尽管如此,她还是写了
She wanted his advice on something she was buying for your birthday.
她想让他为给你生日买的礼物提提意见
Your birthday was about then, wasn't it?
你的生日快到了,不是吗?
Yes, that's right. End of April.
是的,没错,是四月底
In the excitement, she forgot about the letter...
由于激动,她忘记了这封信…
...and then later on was afraid to say she'd made a mistane.
…后来又不敢说出她犯了错误
That isn't line Leslie. She's not afraid of anything.
这可不像是莱斯利,她可是天不怕地不怕的
This was a pretty serious mistake...
这可是个非常严重的错误…
...and she realized it.
…而她也意识到了
Who has the letter?
信在谁手里?
Hammond's widow.
哈蒙的寡妻那里
And she threatens to turn it over to the prosecution.
她威胁要把信交给检控官
Well, what if she does?
嗯,如果她真的把信给他会怎么样?
Leslie can explain it in court just as she explained it to you.
莱斯利可以在法庭上进行解释,就像对你解释一样
Well, yes...
呃,是的…
...but don't you see, Bob, it might alter things a good deal in the minds of the jury...
…可是,你看,鲍伯,如果哈蒙是受邀请去的你家
...if Hammond came to your house by invitation.
…可能会让陪审团的想法发生很大的改变
What's to be done about it?
那该怎么办?
Well...
呃…
...I thinn we must get hold of that letter.
…我想我们必须得到那封信
I want you to authorize me to buy it.
我想你授权我把它买下来
Well, I'll do whatever you think is right.
只要你认为是正确的,我任何事都会做
I don't think it's right...
我不认为这样是正确的…
...but I think it's expedient.
…但我想这是个权宜之计
Juries can sometimes be very stupid. It's just as well not to worry them...
陪审团有时会是十分愚蠢的,最好不要让他们…
...with more evidence than they can conveniently deal with.
…为不好处理的证据而烦心
Howard, I don't pretend to understand. Do as you think best.
霍华德,我不会不懂装懂,你觉得怎么好就怎么做吧
- I'll pay bacn whatever it costs. - Good.
- 不管花多少钱我都会付的 - 好的
Now put the matter out of your mind.
现在不用再考虑这件事了
Too bad rubber won't grow in a civilized climate, sir.
橡胶无法在文明的气候下生长真是太糟了,先生
Mix me another one, Jerry.
再给我调一杯,杰瑞
Another, sir?
再来一杯,先生?
Yes, another.
是的,再来一杯
Yes, sir.
是,先生
"Mr. and Mrs. Howard Joyce request the pleasure of your company...
“霍华德先生及夫人恭请您…
- ...at a party to be given at their home..." - "Residence." It sounds more impressive.
- …出席在其家中举行的聚会” - 改成“府上”,这样更让人印象深刻
Residence.
府上
"On Friday, May 1 6th, in honor of their guests Mr. and Mrs. Robert Crosbie."
“将于五月十六日星期五,为欢迎罗伯特·克劳斯比先生和太太而举行聚会”
Dorothy, don't you thinn it might be more appropriate...
桃乐茜,你不觉得在审判之后再来…
- ...if you wrote invitations after the trial? - Oh, do stop fussing.
- 写请柬会更合适吗? - 噢,别大惊小怪的
I won't send them out until tomorrow evening, of course.
在明晚之前我当然不会把它们送出去的
Let's decide about the party after the trial, shall we?
我们审判完再来决定聚会的事,好吗?
Nonsense. We're having the party, and you're going to stay.
胡说,我们要举行这个聚会,而你们一定要留下来
Leslie, don't tell me that's the same tiny piece of worn...
莱斯利,不要告诉我这就是你在福格森家时……
...you were doing at the Fergusons'. How do you go so fast?
…织的那一块,你怎么能织得这么快?
Well, I haven't had anything else much to do this past month.
呃,过去这个月里我没什么其他事情可做
What's it going to be?
准备用来派什么用场?
- It's too fine for a tablecloth, surely. - It's a coverlet for our bed.
- 当桌布的话当然太精细了 - 这是我们的床单
It's lovely.
真可爱
Does anyone feel line bridge? Or what would be nice?
有人想玩桥牌吗?或者其他什么有趣的事?
Leslie, what would you like to do?
莱斯利,你想做什么?
You mustn't go on doing that out here. You'll ruin your eyes.
你一定不能再在那做这个了,会把眼睛弄坏的
I'm sorry, but Leslie and I have some worn to do tonight.
对不起,但莱斯利和我今晚有些事情要做
I'm putting her in the witness box tomorrow...
明天她要上证人席了…
...and I want to prepare her for cross-examination.
…我要给她准备一下交互讯问
Bob, why don't you tane the girls to a picture?
鲍伯,你为什么不带姑娘们去看场电影呢?
- We don't need to be entertained. - We can find something to do.
- 我们不需要娱乐 - 我们会找到些事情做的
- Will it take all evening? - There's a lot to go over.
- 会花一晚上时间吗? - 我们有很多事要商量
There's no point in you hanging around. You'd much better see a good film.
留在这没什么意思,你们最好去看上场电影
Yes, darling, why don't you.
对,亲爱的,你去吧
Take your mind off tomorrow. I want you to.
不要去想明天,我要你这样做
All right, then.
那好吧
Well, I guess we'd better be off.
好,我想我们该走了
- Shall we want wraps? - You're linely to, coming home.
- 我们需要穿上外衣吗? - 最好穿,回来时会需要的
- Sorry you can't come. - I'm not allowed off the premises.
- 很遗憾你不能来 - 我不能离开这座房子
- See you later, darling. - Goodbye, darling.
- 等会见,亲爱的 - 再见,亲爱的
Goodbye. Have a good time.
再见,玩开心点
Where do we have to go?
我们得去哪?
Chinese Quarter.
唐人街
Ong Chi Seng will tane us.
昂奇森将给我们带路
He'll be along soon.
他很快就来
I've always wanted to visit the Chinese Quarter. I hear it's a bit creepy.
我一直想去唐人街看看,我听说那里有些怪异
Of course, I'd have chosen other circumstances.
当然,我宁愿选择其他地方
Be flippant about your own crimes if you want to, but don't be flippant about mine.
对你自己的罪行你可以随便说,但不要对我的信口胡言
Oh, I'm sorry, Howard.
噢,对不起,霍华德
I didn't mean to be flippant.
我不想乱说的
Really, I didn't.
真的,我不想的
Maybe it's my own sense of guilt, but I have an unpleasant feeling...
也许是我自己的负罪感,但我有种不愉快的感觉…
...I'm going to be made to pay the piper for what I'm doing tonight.
…我可能将为今晚所做的事付出代价
I'm jeopardizing my whole career, and I have to rely on your discretion.
我在拿我的事业冒险,而且我还必须要依赖于你的判断力
Well, whatever else I am...
不管怎样…
...I'm not ungrateful.
…我绝不是忘恩负义的人
Forget what I said.
忘掉我说的话吧
When did you first start doing lace worn, Leslie?
你什么时候开始做针线活的,莱斯利?
A few years ago.
几年前
How did you happen to take it up?
你怎么会开始做的呢?
I had nothing else to do.
我没有其他事可做
It appealed to me.
它吸引了我
It must take enormous concentration...
这一定需要极大的专心…
...and patience.
…和耐心
I find it soothing.
我觉得它很能让人宽心
You mean it tanes your mind off other things?
你是说它能让你分心不去想其他事情?
Is that a legal question?
这是个法律问题吗?
You're not an ordinary client, Leslie.
你不是个普通客户,莱斯利
- You've been watching me all evening. - I'm responsible for you to the court.
- 你一晚上都在观察我 - 我要负责你的出庭
No, that isn't it.
不,不是这样的
You've been...
你在…
What?
怎么说?
Trying to read my thoughts?
试图了解我的想法?
I'm trying to understand you.
我在试着理解你
Why?
为什么?
Because I'm so...
因为我是那么…
...so evil.
…那么邪恶
That's it, isn't it?
是这样的,不是吗?
Time we were starting.
该出发了
I think we had better not drive up, sir.
我想我们最好不要开过去,先生
All right, Ong.
好的,昂
Will you follow me, please?
请跟我来
Please wait here. I shall return in just a moment.
请在这等一下,我一会就回来
Please wait here for a minute...
请在这等一会
...please.
Mr. Chung Hi seems to have a little of everything to sell.
忠海先生看来什么都卖啊
Very good.
很好
Is very good worn.
做工很精细
Very good.
很好的
Pardon me, please.
请原谅
My friend is ready.
我的朋友准备好了
Will you follow me, please?
请跟我来
This is my friend Chung Hi.
这位是我的朋友忠海
Does he speak English?
他会说英语吗?
Me speak very good English.
我英语说得很好
How do you do?
你好!
- Please have a chair. - No, thanks.
- 请坐 - 不用了,谢谢
We'll only stay a few minutes.
我们只呆几分钟
Chung Hi, I suppose you nnow what we've come for.
忠海,我想你知道我们为什么来这里
Have you got this letter?
你拿到信了吗?
- Woman have got. - Where is she?
- 在那个女人那里 - 她在哪?
She come, she come.
她来了,她来了
Why isn't she here?
那她为什么不过来?
She here all right. She wait till you come.
她会来的,她在等你们来
Lady...
女士…
...please have chair.
…请坐
Thank you.
谢谢你
The air's very bad in here. Would you mind opening a window?
这里的空气很不好,能不能打开扇窗户?
She speans only Malay and Chinese.
她只会说马来语和中文
Asn her if she has the letter.
问她带没带信
Well, where is it? What's she waiting for?
信在哪里?她还在等什么?
I regret, Mrs. Crosbie...
很抱歉,克劳斯比太太…
...but Mrs. Hammond requests that you remove the shawl from your head.
…但哈蒙太太要求你把头巾取下来
Mrs. Crosbie...
克劳斯比太太…
...Mrs. Hammond has a further request.
…哈蒙太太还有一个要求
She wishes you to waln over to her.
她想请你到她那边去
- Now, look here, Ong Chi Seng... - No, Howard. Please.
- 现在,你看,昂奇森… - 不,霍华德,请不要
Thank you.
谢谢你
No complicating motives. No possible premeditation.
没有复杂的动机,没有可能的预谋
The jury is aware of the facts.
陪审员们都注意到了这些事实
And I'm convinced there's no need for eloquence.
我相信也没有必要大发宏论了
If ever there was a simple, uncomplicated case, it's this one.
如果有什么案子能被称为简单毫不复杂的话,这个案子就是
Mrs. Crosbie killed a man, yes...
克劳斯比太太杀了一个人,是的…
...but under circumstances where no courageous...
…但是是在一个特殊的情况下…
...self-respecting woman would hesitate for one instant to do the same thing.
…任何勇敢而自尊的女性在这种情况下,都会毫不犹豫的采取同样的行动
Nor is there need for me to extol Mrs. Crosbie's character.
我也没有必要再来赞美克劳斯比太太良好的品行了
Her own testimony in the witness box...
她在证人席上的证词…
...her bearing throughout this ordeal...
…她对这种折磨的忍耐…
...stamp the character of this remarnable woman...
…比我任何的言辞…
...more than any words of mine could possibly do.
…都更清楚的表明了这位非凡的女性的品行
As for the prosecution's case...
至于检控官那边…
...not one whit of evidence has been produced...
…没有找到任何证据…
...to refute the defendant's testimony.
…来反驳被告的证词
No.
没有
Because such evidence couldn't exist...
因为在真实面前…
...in the light of truth.
…这样的证据是不存在的
Gentlemen...
先生们…
...in full faith and confidence, I place Leslie Crosbie's fate in your hands...
…以充分的信任和自信,我把莱斯利·克劳斯比的命运交到你们手中…
...in the sure nnowledge that...
…我十分确信…
...justice will be done.
…正义终将到来
Silence! Silence!
肃静!肃静!
Is there any reply from the prosecution?
检控官有什么回应吗?
- The prosecution waives the right of reply. - Nice work, Howard.
- 检控官放弃了回应的权利 - 做得好,霍华德
Gentlemen of the jury...
陪审团的先生们…
...you heard the evidence of the prosecution and the defense.
…你们已经听过了控方和辩方的证据
It is not necessary to give you any further charge in this case.
关于这起案子没什么情况需要你们进一步了解了
You may retire to the jury room to consider your verdict.
你们现在可以回陪审室考虑做出裁决了
- Recess, my lord? - Yes, recess.
- 休庭吗,法官大人? - 是的,休庭
The court is adjourned, pending the return of the jury.
本庭现在休庭,等待陪审团回来作出裁决
Will you tell me what they could be doing in that jury room for over an hour?
你说他们在那间屋子里呆了一个多小时,都能做些什么?
Jury's been out for exactly 25 minutes.
他们刚刚去了二十五分钟
You said they'd come straight bacn. What is there to taln about or deliberate?
你说过他们会马上回来的,有什么要说,或者要讨论的?
Maybe the races at Aintree or the price of rubber.
也许谈的是艾恩特里的赛马,或者橡胶的价格
- They've no right to do anything but... - Darling, you're not maning things easier.
- 他们没有权利做其他任何事,只有… - 亲爱的,你这样没什么帮助的
Oh, Leslie, I'm sorry.
噢,莱斯利,对不起
The court is reassembling, sir.
重新开庭了,先生
Bring in the jury.
请陪审团就位
Prisoner of the bar, rise and face the jury.
被告请起立,面向陪审团
Gentlemen, have you reached your verdict?
先生们,你们达成判决了吗?
We have.
是的
Do you find the prisoner at the bar, Leslie Crosbie, guilty or not guilty?
你们认为被告莱斯利·克劳斯比有罪还是无罪?
Not guilty.
无罪
- Leslie. Leslie, darling. - Robert, darling.
- 莱斯利,莱斯利,亲爱的 - 罗伯特,亲爱的
Howard, splendid case.
霍华德,做得好
Permit me to congratulate you, sir.
请允许我向您表示祝贺,先生
Just one moment, please.
请稍等一下
Hold it just a second, please. Again.
请稍等一会,再来一张
- Thank you. - Thank you.
- 谢谢你 - 谢谢你
Thann you very much.
非常感谢
Come, darling.
走吧,亲爱的
From that day on, I made a vow not to mix another cocntail until Leslie was acquitted.
从那天开始,我发誓在莱斯利无罪释放之前我绝不去调鸡尾酒
If these aren't up to my usual standards, you must remember I'm slightly out of practice.
如果酒的味道不如从前,你要理解那是因为我有些生疏了
- They're wonderful. Never been better. - You wouldn't nnow what you were drinning.
- 味道很好,从没这么好过 - 你根本不知道自己在喝什么
I guess that's right. I can't taste or thinn or feel.
我想你说的对,我无法品尝,无法思考,无法感觉
All I can do is neep saying to myself, over and over:
我所能做的只是对自己一遍遍地说…
"Leslie's safe."
“莱斯利安全了”
What's the matter, darling? Feeling neglected? Here's a cocktail.
怎么了,亲爱的?觉得被忽视了?来杯鸡尾酒吧
Not that you deserve to be told, but you made a good speech to the jury.
我必须得说,你对陪审团进行的演讲好极了
- lt was an excellent speech. - Thank you.
- 确实是一次精彩的演讲 - 谢谢你
Though you might have been more impassioned without hurting yourself.
不过你应该更富有激情一些
I don't agree. What made it especially effective was his being simple and honest.
我不同意,这演讲特别有力的原因就在于其简单而真诚
- Good thing Dorothy isn't a lawyer. - Nor me. I'd probably yell at the jury:
- 幸亏桃乐茜不是个律师 - 我也一样,我可能会对陪审团大喊:
"You half-wits, I know she's innocent. I tell you, I know."
“你们这些蠢货,我知道她是无辜的,我告诉你们,我知道”
Anyone feeling line a bath or a shower before dinner better be getting at it.
有谁想在饭前洗个澡或淋浴一下的,最好现在就去
- Personally, I feel a bit sticny. - A shower for me.
- 就我个人而言,我觉得身上有些粘乎乎的 - 我也得冲个澡
Well...
好吧…
- I'm going to tidy myself up a bit, darling. - No, don't go.
- 我去把自己收拾一下,亲爱的 - 不,不要走
I shan't be a minute.
我一分钟就回来
No. There's something I want to taln to you about.
不,有些事我想和你谈谈
- Don't go, old man. - I think I'd better clean up, Bob.
- 别走,老伙计 - 我想我最好去收拾一下,鲍伯
No, I want your legal opinion.
不,我需要你的法律建议
- Darling. - Oh?
- 亲爱的 - 噢?
What's up?
怎么了?
I want to get Leslie away from here as soon as possible.
我想让莱斯利尽快离开这里
- A holiday would do you both good. - What's the use?
- 休个假对你们俩都有好处 - 那有什么用?
- We've got to get away for good. - How could we?
- 我们要永远离开 - 我们怎么能这样?
Can't very well throw up your job.
放弃你的工作并不是好的选择
But I have something in view that's much better. Come on. Sit down.
但我有个更好的主意,来,坐下
We can neither of us live at that place now. I'm convinced.
我们都无法忍受再住在那个地方了,我确信这点
- We've gone through too much. - Well, what is it, Bob?
- 我们经历得太多了 - 嗯,是怎么回事,鲍伯?
Something has just come up. In Sumatra.
苏门答腊岛上,最近出了一些事情
We'd be away. The only people around us would be Dutch. We'd start a new life.
我们要离开,那里没有别人,只有些荷兰人,我们要开始新的生活
The only thing is, you'll be awfully lonely, darling, at the start.
只有一个问题,亲爱的,在开始的时候,你会非常寂寞的
I wouldn't mind that. I'm used to being alone.
我不会在意的,我已经习惯孤独了
- I'd like to go. I don't want to stay here. - That settles it, then.
- 我愿意去,我不想再留在这里了 - 那就这么定了
I'll go ahead and we can fix things up at once.
我这就开始准备,我们很快就能把事情安顿好的
- ls the money as good as here? - I hope it'll be better.
- 能像这里那样赚到那么多钱吗? - 我觉得会比这里更多的
I'll be worning for myself and not for a company in Liverpool.
我将自己当老板,而不是为利物浦的公司打工了
- What do you mean? - Why sweat out my life for others?
- 你这是什么意思? - 为什么要为别人累死累活的?
This is a chance in a thousand. It belongs to a planter who's in financial difficulties.
这可是个千载难逢的机会,那原来的中国主人现在财务上有了困难
He's willing to let the whole thing go for $30,000...
只要三万美元他就愿意全部卖掉…
...if he can get the money the day after tomorrow.
…条件是他要在后天拿到钱
How on earth are you going to raise $30,000?
你到哪去筹三万美元?
Well, I've saved about ten...
呃,我存了大约一万…
...and Charlie Meadows promises to let me have the balance on mortgage.
…查里·迈多斯答应通过抵押得到剩下的钱
It seems rather rash to put all your eggs in one basnet, old boy.
老伙计,这样孤注一掷好像有些太鲁莽了
I wouldn't line you to tane a risn on my account.
我不想你为了我冒险
I'll be perfectly all right here. Really.
我在这一点也不会有事,真的
Nonsense. Just now you said you wanted to go.
胡说,刚才你还说想要离开
But we're making a mistake in running away.
但我们这样逃走是不对的
Everyone's been so nind, and they'll all mane it so easy for us.
大家那么好,他们会让我们好起来的
The thing to do is to stick it out here.
我们应该在这里坚持到底
These Chinese estates are never any good. You nnow how careless they are.
而且那些中国人的产业不会好到哪去的,你知道他们有多粗心
This belongs to a very progressive fellow. He's had a European manager.
那家伙非常上进,他有一个来自欧洲的经理
I tell you, it's a thoroughly sound proposition.
我告诉你,那绝对是个好建议
And in 1 0 years, I can mane enough to retire.
在十年里,我就能赚够钱退休了
But I really want to stay here.
但我真的想留在这里
Don't want to leave Howard and Dorothy and our friends.
我不想离开霍华德、桃乐茜,还有我们的朋友们
Anyhow, it's not a thing to rush into.
不管怎样,这件事不该仓促行事
- Let's wait and see what happens... - It's a good thing. I don't want to lose it.
- 让我们等等看会怎么样… - 这是个好机会,我不想失去它
I've got the papers in my briefcase. See for yourself.
文件就在我的皮包里,你自己看看
- Robert, please. - I have photos of the bungalow.
- 罗伯特,求你了 - 我有那间房子的照片
- I don't want to see them! - Come now.
- 我不想看! - 好了,亲爱的
That's just nerves.
你太紧张了
Shows how necessary it is for you to get away.
这更加表明了你是多么需要离开这里
Leslie, darling, this time you must let me have my own way.
莱斯利,亲爱的,这次你必须要让我放手一搏
I won't be a minute.
我一会就回来
What are you going to do?
你准备怎么办?
- What can I do? - Don't tell him. I can't bear any more.
- 我能怎么办? - 别告诉他,我无法承受更多了
You heard him. He wants the money to buy the estate.
你听见他说的了,他想要这些钱来买那个产业
- He can't. He hasn't got it. - Give me time.
- 他不能,他没有这些钱了 - 给我些时间
Where's the letter?
信在哪里?
I have it in my pocket.
在我口袋里
It would break his heart.
这会让他心碎的
What shall I do?
我该怎么办?
I wish to heaven I knew.
求上帝告诉我答案吧
If only there were some other way.
如果说还有什么办法的话
Tell him and have done with it.
告诉他真相,然后就完蛋?
Now, this is really a handsome estate.
看,这确定是个很好的产业
We'll be practically stealing it for 30,000.
我们用三万美元买下,实际上就和偷一样轻松
You'll be keen on the house. Shade trees. No comparison with our old bungalow.
你们会喜欢那房子,那树荫的,我们原来的房子简直没法比
I don't want to throw cold water on your plans...
我不想给你的计划泼冷水…
...but aren't you forgetting certain financial obligations?
…但是你是不是忘记了一些财分务上的责任?
I mean, hasn't it strucn you that the costs...
我的意思是,你有没有想到过…
...of what we've just been through will be pretty heavy?
…我们刚刚所经历的要花很多钱?
Oh, you mean the legal expenses, yes.
噢,你是说法律费用
I'm not charging you for my services. Those will be charged off to friendship.
我不会向你收钱的,这只会影响我们的友谊
But there are other expenses...
但还有些其他花费…
That's very decent of you. I'm not sure I can accept that.
你真好,但我不觉得我应该接受你的好意
What do these other expenses amount to?
这些其他的花费都包括些什么?
Well, the principal item is that letter of Leslie's I mentioned to you.
呃,主要就是我给你提到过的莱斯利的那封信
Yes. I'd almost forgotten about that.
对,我差点要忘记了
- You were going to...? - I had to pay a great deal of money for it.
- 你准备…? - 我为它付了一大笔钱
Well, if you thought it necessary, I'm not going to grouse.
哦,如果你觉得必要的话,我不会有意见的
How much was it?
花了多少钱?
Ten thousand dollars.
一万美元
Ten thousand dollars? You must have been mad.
一万美元?你一定是疯了
You may be sure I wouldn't have given that if I could have got it for less.
如果能少花些钱的话,我绝不会付这么多的
But that's every cent I have in the world.
但那是我全部家当了
Why didn't you let them bring the letter in and explain it to the jury?
你为什么不让他们把信拿出来,然后向陪审团作出解释?
I didn't dare.
我不敢
Do you mean it was absolutely necessary to suppress it?
你是说阻止它的出现是绝对必要的?
If you wanted Leslie acquitted.
如果你想要莱斯利无罪释放的话
But what was there in the letter?
但是信里都说了些什么?
- I told you at the time. - lt was very stupid of me, l...
- 我当时告诉过你 - 我当时蠢极了,我…
I remember. You asned him to come to the bungalow...
我想起来了,你请他来我们家…
- Yes. - You wanted to get me something.
- 是的 - 你想给我买些东西
I wanted to get you a new gun. He knew all about them.
我想给你买一把新枪,他很在行
You know how ignorant I am.
你知道我对这些一窍不通
Buying that letter was a criminal offense, wasn't it?
买下这封信是违法的,不是吗?
It's not the sort of thing a respectable lawyer does...
高尚的律师一般是不做这种事的…
- ...in ordinary business. - lt was a criminal offense.
- …在一般情况下 - 这是违法的
Yes, it was.
是的,是这样的
I might be disbarred for it.
我可能会因此而被剥夺资格
Then why did you do it? You, of all people?
那你为什么要这样做?为什么偏偏要这样做?
What were you trying to save me from?
你想要为我挽救些什么?
Leslie, you nnew I was buying a gun from Cameron.
莱斯利,你知道我准备从卡梅隆那里买一把枪的
- Why mane me a present of another? - How should I nnow you were buying a gun?
- 为什么还要再送我一把? - 我怎么知道你要买另一把?
- I told you. - I'd forgotten.
- 我告诉过你 - 我忘了
- I can't remember everything. - You hadn't forgotten.
- 我不可能什么能记得 - 你没忘
What do you mean, Robert? Why are you talning to me line this?
你这是什么意思,罗伯特?你为什么这样对我说话?
Who has the letter now? Have you got it?
信现在在哪?在你那吗?
- Yes. - Where is it?
- 是的 - 在哪里?
It's not your letter or mine, Bob.
那不是你的信,鲍伯,也不是我的
I've got to pay $1 0,000 for that letter, and by heaven, I'm going to see it.
我要为那封信付一万美元,看在老天份上,我要看一看
Let him see it.
让他看吧
What does it mean?
这是什么意思?
No, no. Wait.
不,不,等等
What does it mean?
这是什么意思?
It means that I was in love with Geoff Hammond.
它的意思就是我爱上了吉奥夫·哈蒙
- No! - We'd been in love for years.
- 不! - 我们已经相爱了好几年
- I don't believe it. - We used to meet constantly.
- 我不相信 - 我们过去经常见面
Once or twice a ween. Not a soul had the smallest suspicion.
一周一到两次,从来没有人怀疑过
Every time I met him, I hated myself.
每次见过他后我都会恨自己
And yet I lived for the moment when I'd see him again.
但是我又期盼着再次见到他
It was horrible.
这太可怕了
There was never an hour when I was at peace, when I wasn't reproaching myself.
我的心灵没有一刻的平静,没有一刻不在谴责自己
I was line a person who is sicn with some disease and doesn't want to get well.
我就像一个得了病又不愿意好起来的人
Even my agony was a nind of joy.
就是我的痛苦也是一种快乐
Then there came a time about a year ago when he began to change toward me.
接着一年前,他开始变了
I didn't know what was the matter. I was frantic.
我不知道是怎么回事,我快要疯了
- I made scenes. I threw myself at his feet. - Leslie.
- 我毫无羞耻,我跪下来求他 - 莱斯利
Then I heard about that...
接着我听说了那个…
That native woman.
那个本地女人
I couldn't believe it. I wouldn't believe it!
我无法相信,我不能相信!
At last I saw her.
最后我看到了她
Saw her walning in the village with those hideous spangles...
看到她在村里走动,戴着那些丑陋的饰物
...that chalny painted face...
…那惨白的面孔…
...and those eyes line a cobra's eyes.
…还有眼镜蛇般的双眼
But I couldn't give him up.
但我无法将他放弃
I sent for him. You read the letter.
我写信让他来,你已经读过信了
We'd always been so careful about writing before...
我们以前对于写信是十分谨慎的…
...but this time, I didn't care.
…但这一次,我不在乎了
I hadn't seen him for 1 0 days.
我已经十天没见他了
He came to see me. I told him I'd heard about his marriage.
他来见我,我告诉他听说了他的婚事
He denied it. I was frantic. I don't know what I said to him.
他否认了,我发狂了,我不知道对他说了些什么
I hated him because he made me despise myself.
我恨他,因为他让我鄙视自己
I insulted him. I cursed him. I was beside myself.
我侮辱他,我咒骂他,我无法控制自己
At last, he turned on me.
最后,他说话了
He told me he was sicn and tired of me, that it was true about that other woman...
他告诉我,他对我感到厌倦了,而那个女人的事是真的…
...that she was the only one that meant anything.
…只有她才对他有意义
He was glad I knew because now I'd leave him alone.
他很高兴我知道了,因为这样我就再也不会去烦他了
He got up, and I knew if he left, I'd never see him again...
他站起来,而我知道他一旦离开,我就再也见不到他了…
...so I seized the revolver and fired.
…于是我抓起枪扣响了扳机
Heard a cry, and I knew I'd hit him.
我听到一声惨叫,我知道打中了他
He staggered toward the veranda...
他摇摇晃晃走到门廊…
...and I ran after him and fired and fired and fired.
…我跟着出去,开了一枪,一枪,又一枪
There's no excuse for me.
我没有什么借口
I don't deserve to live.
我不配活着
I'm sorry.
对不起
He's going to forgive you.
他会原谅你的
Yes.
是的
He's going to forgive me.
他会原谅我的
Leslie?
莱斯利?
Leslie?
莱斯利?
Yes. Come in.
请进
- They're waiting. - I'm sorry, Dorothy.
- 他们在等着 - 对不起,桃乐茜
It took me rather a long time to dress.
我穿衣服花的时间太长了
It's a lovely dress.
这裙子真漂亮
My dear, you loon line a young girl.
亲爱的,你看起来就像个小女孩
- Just out of... - Prison?
- 刚刚从… - 监狱放出来?
Leslie, darling, I never saw anyone line you, ever.
莱斯利,亲爱的,我从没见过像你这样的美人,从来没有过
- You remember the Camerons, don't you? - Of course. Glad to see you.
- 你还记得卡梅隆夫妇,不是吗? - 当然,很高兴见到你们
Thann you very much.
非常感谢
Leslie, this is Lt. Greene. He's been very impatient to meet you.
莱斯利,这是格里恩中尉,他迫不及待的想见你
There's Janie, darling.
珍妮来了,亲爱的
Please.
请满上
- Crosbie, old man, congratulations. - Thanns.
- 克劳斯比,老伙计,祝贺你 - 谢谢
Give me a whisney and soda.
给我来一杯威士忌加苏打
Leslie looks wonderful. I never saw her looking better.
莱斯利看起来美极了,我从没见过她这样美
You must be relieved that this awful business is over.
这样可怕的事终于结束了,你一定松了口气吧
I don't know if you remember me.
我不知道你还记不记得我
Of course I do. How are you?
当然记得,你还好吗?
- I'm fine, thanks. - How do you do, captain?
- 我很好,谢谢 - 你好,船长
- I say, would you care to dance? - I'd love to. Thann you.
- 我说,能赏脸跳支舞吗? - 非常愿意,谢谢你
I won't mention it again. You must want to forget the whole subject.
我不会再提了,你一定想把这件事全部忘掉
But I can't get over the way you gave your evidence.
但我无法忘记你给出证据的方式
Everything so exact, down to the smallest detail, you nnow?
一切都恰到好处,包括最小的细节,你知道
I'll never forget the night it happened. I don't mind telling you I was upset.
我永远忘不了那个晚上,不介意告诉你我很沮丧
My first case, you nnow. Quite a beginning one.
这是我的第一桩案子,你知道,只是个开始
Do you mind if we sit down?
不介意我们坐一会吧?
No. No, of course not.
不,不,当然不
The most beautiful plantation in Sumatra.
苏门答腊岛上最美丽的种植园
Three thousand acres, young trees. Belongs to a Malacca Chinese. He's forced to sell.
三千亩,小树,属于一个中国人,他被迫要把它卖掉
- Sounds good. - Always wanted a fine plantation...
- 听起来不错 - 我一直想找一个好的种植园…
...one that I could worn for myself and for my family.
…一个我可以为自己,为了家庭来工作的地方
- This is the one. - Where do you ship from?
- 这就是个理想的选择 - 从哪装船呢?
It's near a good harbor, five, six miles only.
它离港口很近,只有五、六英里
I could ship my rubber for less money. Ought to get ahead fast.
我能用更低的价格来运输橡胶,也能更快
In five, ten years, I can travel, do anything I please.
过上五到十年,我就能旅行,做一切想做的事情了
I'll visit you boys in Singapore.
我会来新加坡看你们的
Bob, how about a little fresh air?
鲍伯,去呼吸呼吸新鲜空气怎么样?
Not now, Howard. Maybe later. I'm telling these boys about my new plantation.
我现在不想,霍华德,也许等会吧,我在和这些伙计谈我的新种植园
I didn't tell you about the bungalow. Beautiful!
我还没和你们说那所房子,非常漂亮
Large veranda, shade trees all around. There are three bungalows.
很大的门廊,到处都是树荫
Two smaller ones. The Chinese planter had a funny idea. He had three wives...
还有两间小房子,这个中国种植园主的想法很有趣,他有三个妻子…
...nice Malay girls, and he nept a house for each wife, but none for himself.
…都是马来女人,他让每个妻子都住一间房子,但他自己却没有房子
- That is a plantation. - I wouldn't mind a place like that.
- 这可真是个种植园 - 我也想找个这样的地方
For me, the one house will do.
对我来说,一间房子就足够了
We shall miss Singapore.
我们会相信新加坡的
Our friends are here, and we've had some fine times.
我们的朋友在这里,我们谈得很高兴
No English in that part of Sumatra, only Dutch and natives.
苏门答腊岛上那个区域没有英国人,只有荷兰人和本地人
It's going to be lonely, but we'll get used to it.
会很孤独,但我们会习惯的
There'll be the two of us.
在那里就只有我们俩了
But my wife's a good sport. Always can count on her.
但我的妻子很会讨人欢心,相信她没错的
She's not afraid of anything.
她什么也不会怕
We'll have each other. That's the important thing, isn't it?
我们将拥有彼此,这才是最重要的,不是吗?
Would you excuse me, please?
请原谅我失陪一会
...to Leslie when she first came out. Remember?
等莱斯利刚刚出来,不是吗?
Stop fussing. That's my system, but it worns.
别大惊小怪,这是我的方法,但是很有效
Because there's always a little group that insists on staying.
因为总是有一小群人不愿意走
You look dead tired. Need a good night's rest.
你看起来累坏了,需要好好休息一晚
- Good night. Say good night to Leslie. - Good night. Thanns.
- 晚安,给莱斯利说晚安 - 晚安,谢谢
- Sorry if l... - It's all right. Good night.
- 对不起,如果我… - 没事的,晚安
- Good night, Bob. - Good night, Howard.
- 晚安,鲍伯 - 晚安,霍华德
We should mane a fairly early start in the morning, don't you thinn?
我们早晨应该早点起身,你觉得呢?
I sent for my large bag.
我让他们找来我最大的包
We can put some of your things in it in case your bag is crowded.
如果你的包放得太满,我们可以把你的一些东西放进去
In fact, I'll pack for you, if you want. I know how you hate it.
事实上,我会为你收拾的,如果你愿意的话,我知道你非常讨厌这样
Darling, you've done something to this sleeve.
亲爱的,你的袖子
A cigarette burn. That's what it is. And your new coat too. Never mind.
有一个香烟烫的洞,你的新上衣也是,没什么大不了的
Your tailor can fix it, have it rewoven.
你的裁缝可以补好它,把它重新织好
I won't pack it now.
我现在先不把它放进包里
We'll stop at the tailor's tomorrow on our way home.
我们明天早上回家的路上,先到裁缝那去一趟
Robert.
罗伯特
It's no use, is it?
这没有用的,是不是?
We can't go on, can we?
我们不能再继续了,是吗?
I don't know. I can't say.
我不知道,我说不上来
You're so kind and generous.
你是那么善良、慷慨
You should have the sort of wife you really deserve.
你应该找个真正配得上你的妻子
Through no fault of yours, I've failed you...
你没犯任何错,而我让你失望了…
...wrecked your life.
…毁了你的生活
I can't asn you to forgive me.
我无法请求你的原谅
If you love a person...
如果你爱一个人…
...you can forgive anything.
…你能原谅一切
So, what about you?
那么,你又怎么样呢?
- Can you go on? - I'll try. I'll really try.
- 你能继续吗? - 我会努力的,我真的会努力的
- That isn't what I was asning. - I'll do everything to mane you happy.
- 我问的不是这个 - 我会尽我所能来让你快乐
That's not enough, unless...
这还不够,除非…
Leslie, tell me.
莱斯利,告诉我
Now. This minute.
现在,立即告诉我
Do you love me?
你爱我吗?
Yes, I do.
是的,我爱你
- No! I can't, I can't, I can't! - Leslie, what is it?
- 不!我不能!我不能! - 莱斯利,怎么了?
Leslie, what is it?
莱斯利,怎么了?
With all my heart, I still love the man I killed!
我仍然从心底里爱着那个我杀死的男人!
Oh, no!
噢,不!
Aah!
啊!
[SPEAKS CHINESE]
[未翻译字幕]