过度劳累如何抑制我们的创造力 Rahaf Harfoush: How burnout makes us less creative

上映日期: 0

语言:

影片类型:

导演:

演员: Rahaf Harfoush


台词
A few years ago, my obsession with productivity
几年前, 我对生产效率的过度执着
got so bad that I suffered an episode of burnout
导致我那段时间精疲力竭。
that scared the hell out of me.
这把我自己彻底吓到了。
I'm talking insomnia, weight gain, hair loss -- the works.
我经历了失眠,发胖,脱发—— 但依旧在工作。
I was so overworked that my brain
由于劳累过度,
literally couldn't come up with another idea.
我的大脑真的一个 新点子都想不出来。
That indicated to me that my identity was linked with this idea of productivity.
那表明了我的个人身份认同是与 生产效率联系在一起的。
[The Way We Work]
【我们工作的方式】
Do you feel guilty if you haven't been productive enough during the day?
你会不会因为觉得自己 白天不够高效而产生负罪感?
Do you spend hours reading productivity hacks,
你是否曾花费数小时 阅读那些提高生产力的小窍门,
trying new frameworks and testing new apps
尝试新的工作框架 和新的 app (应用程序)
to get even more done?
以达到完成更多工作的目的?
I've tried them all -- task apps, calendar apps,
所有这些方法我都试过了—— 任务管理 app ,日历 app ,
time-management apps,
时间管理 app ,
things that are meant to manage your day.
那些用来帮助你管理时间的工具。
We've been so obsessed with doing more
我们对完成更多这个目标的痴迷
that we've missed the most important thing.
让我们忽略了最重要的一点。
Many of these tools aren't helping.
其实这些工具中的大多数 并不能帮到我们。
They're making things worse.
它们反而让事情变得更糟了。
OK, let's talk about productivity for a second.
我们来谈一谈生产效率这个概念。
Historically, productivity as we know it today
我们现在提到的生产效率
was used during the industrial revolution.
曾被用在工业革命时期。
It was a system that measured performance based on consistent output.
那是一个根据持续产出 从而衡量工作表现的系统。
You clocked into your shift
你准时打卡上班,
and were responsible for creating X number of widgets
负责在流水线上
on the assembly line.
生产 X 件零部件。
At the end of the day, it was pretty easy to see
到了每天结束的时候, 很容易就能知道
who worked hard and who hadn't.
哪些人工作比较认真, 以及哪些不那么认真。
When we shifted to a knowledge economy,
当我们转变到知识经济时代,
people suddenly had tasks that were much more abstract,
人们的工作任务 忽然就变得更抽象了,
things like writing, problem-solving or strategizing,
像是写作、解决问题, 或是制定策略,
tasks that weren't easy to measure.
这些都是不能被轻易衡量的工作。
Companies struggled to figure out
企业也发现辨别谁在工作,
how to tell who was working and who wasn't,
谁在偷懒变得更难了,
so they just adopted the old systems as best as they could,
所以他们只能尽可能 采用那套旧系统来衡量。
leading to things like the dreaded time sheet
由此导致了诸如令人心生恐惧的 考勤表等事物的诞生,
where everyone is under pressure
让大家为了解释 自己怎么利用工作中的每分每秒
to justify how they spend every second of their day.
而倍感压力。
There's just one problem.
这只是其中一个问题。
These systems don't make a lot of sense for creative work.
这些系统并不适用于 创造性的工作。
We still think of productivity as an endurance sport.
我们现在仍然把工作效率 视为一种耐力运动。
You try to churn out as many blog posts
我们试图写出 尽可能多的博客文章,
or we cram our day full of meetings.
或用各种会议来塞满我们的一天。
But this model of constant output isn't conducive to creative thought.
但是这种持续产出的模型 并不有益于创造性思维。
Today, knowledge workers are facing a big challenge.
现在,知识工作者 面临着一项巨大的挑战。
We're expected to be constantly productive and creative
我们被要求一直维持 在一个有同等效率
in equal measure.
和创造力的状态。
But it's actually almost impossible
但是让我们的大脑持续不断地
for our brains to continuously generate new ideas
迸发出新点子且不停歇
with no rest.
是几乎不可能的。
In fact, downtime is a necessity for our brain
事实上,适当的休息 对恢复我们的大脑,
to recover and to operate properly.
并让其正常运转是必要的。
Consider that according to a team of researchers
根据南加州大学
from the University of Southern California,
一个研究者团队的研究,
letting our minds wander is an essential mental state
让我们的大脑开会小差是一种 必要的精神状态。
that helps us develop our identity,
它可以帮助塑造我们的身份认同,
process social interactions,
处理人际交往,
and it even influences our internal moral compass.
它甚至能影响我们 心灵内部的道德罗盘。
Our need for a break flies in the face of our cultural narrative about hustling,
我们对于休息的需要与 我们对忙碌的文化叙述相违背。
in other words, the stories that we as a society
换句话说,我们身处的社会
tell each other about what success looks like
告诉我们每个人成功是什么样的,
and what it takes to get there.
以及为了达到成功需要付出什么。
Stories like the American Dream,
比如我们其中 一个根深蒂固的信仰:
which is one of our most deeply rooted beliefs.
美国梦。
This tells us that if we work hard, we'll be successful.
它告诉我们只要我们努力工作, 我们就会成功。
But there's a flip side.
但它所隐含的另一面则是:
If you aren't successful,
如果你不成功,
it must mean that you're not working hard enough.
那么这一定是因为你还不够努力。
And if you don't think you're doing enough,
如果你觉得自己做的不够,
of course you're going to stay late, pull all-nighters
那么你当然会 开始加班,开夜车,
and push yourself hard even when you know better.
尽管知道这样做不好 却依然把自己逼得很紧。
Productivity has wrapped itself up in our self-worth,
工作效率把自己 包装成了我们自我价值的一部分。
so that it's almost impossible for us to allow ourselves
造成我们几乎不可能会允许自己
to stop working.
停下工作的脚步。
The average US employee only takes half of their allocated paid vacation leave,
平均而言,每位美国员工 只会用掉一半的带薪假,
further proving that even if we have the option
进一步证明了 就算我们有选择来休息一下,
to take a break, we don't.
我们也不会这么做。
To be clear, I don't think that productivity
事先说明下, 我并不认为工作效率
or trying to improve our performance is bad.
或者试图提高我们的工作表现 是不好的。
I'm just saying that the current models we're using to measure our creative work
我只是说现有的 用来衡量创造性工作的模型
don't make sense.
并不合理。
We need systems that work with our creativity
我们需要 能促进我们创造力的系统,
and not against it.
而不是与之相对的系统。
[SO HOW DO WE FIX IT?]
【所以我们该如何解决这个问题?】
There is no quick fix for this problem.
解决这种情况 并没有什么快方法。
And I know, I know, that sucks.
我也知道,这很糟糕。
No one loves a good framework or a good acronym
没有人能比我更喜欢
better than me.
一个好的工作框架 或一个好的缩略词了。
But the truth is everyone has their own narratives
但是事实是每个人 都有自己的工作节奏。
that they have to uncover.
需要每个人自己去发现。
It wasn't until I started digging around my own beliefs around work
直到我开始挖掘 我自己关于工作的信仰,
that I began to unravel the root of my own work story,
我才发现我自己工作方式的根源,
finally being able to let go of destructive behaviors
并最终舍弃了 那些有害的行为方式,
and make positive, long-lasting changes.
转而做出一些积极长期的改变。
And the only way to do that
而唯一能达到这种状态的方法
is by asking yourself some hard questions.
就是问自己一些比较残酷的问题。
Does being busy make you feel valuable?
忙碌能让你感觉很有自我价值吗?
Who do you hold up as an example of success?
谁是你心中成功的榜样?
Where did your ideas of work ethic come from?
你都是从哪儿 学到那些工作道德的?
How much of who you are is linked to what you do?
你的身份认同在多大程度上 与你做的工作相关?
Your creativity, it has its own rhythms.
你的创造力有它自己的节奏。
Our energy fluctuates daily, weekly, even seasonally.
我们的能量在每天、每周, 甚至每个季节都会上下波动。
I know that I'm always more energetic at the beginning of the week
我知道自己在一周的开头, 通常精力更加充沛,
than at the end,
而非一周的末尾。
so I front-load my workweek to account for that fact.
所以我相应的就把 大部分工作都移到一周的开头。
As a proud night owl, I free up my afternoons and evenings
我很自豪的说我是一个夜猫子, 所以我把下午和晚上的时间
for creative work.
都留给创造性的工作。
And I know I'll get more writing done
我也知道自己通常在舒适的冬季
in the cozy winter months than during the summer.
比夏天能写出更多的文章。
And that's the secret.
而这就是秘诀。
Dismantling myths, challenging your old views,
拨开迷雾, 质疑你原有的观念,
identifying your narratives --
发现你自己的工作节奏,
this is the real work that we need to be doing.
这才是我们真正需要做的。
We aren't machines,
我们并不是机器,
and I think it's time that we stopped working like one.
是时候停止像机器一样工作了。