霍华德庄园 Howards End

上映日期: 1,992

语言: 英语 / 德语

影片类型: 剧情 / 爱情

导演: 詹姆斯·伊沃里

演员: 安东尼·霍普金斯 / 艾玛·汤普森 / 瓦妮莎·雷德格瑞夫 / 海伦娜·伯翰·卡特 / 萨缪尔·韦斯特


台词
片名:霍华德庄园(此情可问天)
"Dearest Meg,
亲爱的玛格丽特
"I'm having a glorious time, I like them all.
我拥有显赫的时光 我喜欢他们所有人
"They are the happiest family you could imagine.
他们一家比你想象中更快乐
"The fun of it is they think me a noodle,
有趣的是他们觉得我是个笨蛋
"or Miss Wilcox does.
威尔科克斯是这么说的
"Shall we ever learn to talk less?
我们是不是应该少说一点
"But Meg, Meg, dearest Meg, I don't know what to say,
但是玛格丽特,亲爱的玛格丽特 我不知道要说什么
"Paul Wilcox and I are in love.
保罗.威尔科克斯和我正在恋爱中
"We are engaged."
我们订婚了
- Well, you Schlegel girls! - Tibby, look.
噢,你这个史克丽侏 迪比,你看
Margaret, if I may interfere.
玛格丽特,打扰一下
What on earth is going on?
到底是怎么会事
I I can tell you nothing, Aunt Juley, I know no more than you.
我 我不知道 朱莉娅阿姨,我不懂
We only met the Wilcoxes last spring, while hiking in germany.
我们只是上次春天游览德国的时候 见过威尔科克斯一家
Oh, dear.
噢,天啊
Obviously someone must go to this Howards House.
必须找人去霍华德家调查清楚
- Howards End. - No, enquiries are necessary.
霍华德庄园 不,询问是一定要的
What do we know of them?
我们了解他们吗
Are they likely people?
他们是和我们一样的人吗
Aunt Juley, what does it matter?
朱莉娅阿姨,这有什么关系呢
Helen's in love! That's all I need to know.
海伦恋爱了 我知道这个就够了
Please get me a train timetable, dear.
亲爱的,给我张火车时刻表
Morning.
早上好
Morning.
早上好
Paul?.
保罗
Crane has reported sick again.
据说可瑞又病了
He was to take me to the Warringtons. I told him.
他曾经带我去过霍灵顿,我告诉他
He's shamming, of course.
他是假装的,我肯定
Hire a new chauffeur, Father.
换一个司机,爸爸
Mother! We're off! goodbye!
妈妈,我们要走了,再见
Charlie! Wait! Wait!
卡里斯,等等,等一下
- Is Papa there? - Yes.
爸爸吗 是的
Wait!
等下
We've got some cherries.
我们有些樱桃
[Engine running]
火车开了
Bye! We're off!
再见!我们走了
goodbye!
再见
- About last night - Nothing happened.
关于昨天晚上 没事发生
- I lost my head rather. - Yes, we both did.
吓死我了 我们一样
Must've been the moonlight except there was no moon.
一定是月光的关系 除非那里没月亮
Well, that's quite all right.
好了,没事了
- Do you mind? - No.
你介意吗 不
You see, I've no money of my own,
你知道,我没钱
and have to make my way in Nigeria.
而又必须去尼日利亚
It's beastly for a white woman, the climate and natives and all.
那里的气候和习俗还有其他的一切 对白种女人都十分苛刻
- I think you're ripping. - It's quite all right.
我觉得你是个很妙的人 这不是很好吗
No one knows about it.
没人知道
Meg! My sister.
玛格丽特!我的妹妹
- You didn't? - I'm sorry.
你没有 对不起
She's sure to come down.
她一定会来的
We'll send a telegram. Oh, Crane's off sick.
我们发份电报 啊,可瑞病好了
- Isn't there a bicycle? - Yes, somewhere.
那不是自行车吗 是的,在那
One and thruppence ha'penny, sir.
那要1.5个便士,先生
"N.J. Schlegel, 6 Wickham Place, London, West.
N.J. 史克丽侏 威克汉,伦敦,西部
"Dear Meg,
亲爱的玛格丽特
"All over. Wish I'd never written. Tell no one. Helen."
都结束了,希望我从来没写过 别告诉任何人,海伦
Excuse me, I'm looking for Howards House?
打扰一下,我想找霍华德庄园
Mr Wilcox? This lady wants Howards End.
威尔科克斯先生,这位女士想去霍华德庄园
Forgive me, are you the younger or elder Mr Wilcox?
真对不起,你是小威尔科克斯先生 还是老威尔科克斯先生
The younger.
小威尔科克斯
Ahh. This station's abominable.
啊哈,这样真的太讨厌了
The whole lot should get the sack.
这个地方会被洗劫的
- Thank you. - Thank you, sir.
谢谢 谢谢你,先生
I should introduce myself. I am Miss Schlegel's aunt.
我先介绍下我自己 我是史克丽侏小姐的阿姨
Oh, rather. Do you want to see her?
啊,你们真象 你想见她吗
- That would be nice. - I could run you up.
那太好了 我可以带你去
All the Schlegels are exceptional.
史克丽侏家的人都十分特别
They are British to the backbone,
他们骨子里都是英国人
but their father was german.
但是他们的父亲是德国人
That is why they care for literature and art.
之所以这样,他们才那么注重文学和艺术
Just one minute, um
稍等一下
Wilcox! Howards End!
威尔科克斯,霍华德庄园
I come in no spirit of interference.
我来了不是要干涉什么事情
I'm here to represent the family,
我是代表我们家族来的
and to talk to you about Helen,
想和你们谈谈关于海伦的事情
my niece, and you.
我的侄女和你
Miss Schlegel and myself?
史克丽侏小姐和我
I trust there's no misunderstanding?
我没听错吧
It is true I'm engaged, but not to Miss Schlegel.
我是订婚了,但是不是和史克丽侏小姐
Helen wrote to us, Mr Wilcox, she has told us everything.
海伦给我们写信了,告诉了我们所有的事
good god, it's some foolery of Paul's.
老天啊,那是保罗做的蠢事
But you are Paul.
你就是保罗
- No, I'm not. - Then why say so?
不,我不是 那你为什么这样说
- I did not. - You did!
我不是 你是
My name is Charles.
我的名字叫卡里斯
You mean Paul and your niece ?
你的意思是保罗和你的侄女
The idiot!
那个白痴
Damn fool!
十足的白痴
Look, I warn you, it's useless. Paul hasn't a penny.
看,我警告过你,那样没用的 保罗一分钱都没
The warning is all the other way.
那警告不是这个方面的
But he hasn't told, your niece has.
他没说什么 但你的侄女已经到处说去了
If I were a man, Mr Wilcox, I'd box your ears.
威尔科克斯先生,如果我是个男人的话 我会扇你耳光
You're not fit for my niece!
你不适合我的侄女
- She spread the news - Or to clean her boots.
她散播这个消失 或者她是无所事事
- Might I finish?! - No! I decline to argue.
可以让我说完吗 不!我没兴趣和这样的人争吵
Let me out this instant!
我要下车,现在
- Don't stand up! Sit down! - Stop! Stop!
别站起来,坐下 快停,快停下来
Sit down! goodness sakes! Just
坐下 看在老天的份上
Push it down.
推下来
It will, I think, be generally admitted
那将是,我觉得 平心而论
that Beethoven's Fifth is the most sublime noise
贝多芬的第五交响曲是最庄严肃穆的
ever to have penetrated the ear of man.
渗透所有人的耳朵
But what does it mean?
可是,那是什么意思
We can hardly fail to recognise in this music
我们很难理解这样的音乐
a mighty drama, the struggle of a hero beset by perils,
很棒的戏剧,一个英雄在困境中奋斗
gliding to magnificent victory and ultimate triumph,
取得伟大的胜利 凯旋归来
as it describes in the development section
就如同第一章后面部分
of the first movement.
所描述的那样
I want to draw your attention to the third movement.
我想你留意第三章
We no longer hear the hero, but a goblin.
我们不再听到英雄 只有一个妖精
Thank you, Mother.
谢谢,妈妈
A single
只有它一个
solitary goblin,
孤独的妖精
walking across
越过
the universe,
宇宙
from beginning to end.
从开始到结束
Why a goblin?
为什么是妖精
[Music stops]
音乐结束
- I beg your pardon? - Why a goblin?
什么? 为什么是妖精
Well, it's obvious -
恩,很明显的
the goblin signifies the spirit of negation.
妖精是不存在的象征
But why specifically a goblin?
但为什么要指定是一只妖精
- Panic and emptiness, - (Excuse me.)
悲哀和空虚 对不起
is what the goblin signifies.
那是妖精的象征
Minor, spelling panic
小音阶,表达痛楚
Major, magnificent.
大音阶,华丽
Our hero triumphs!
我们的英雄胜利了
Miss!
小姐
Excuse me, Miss! My umbrella!
对不起,小姐,我的伞
Miss!
小姐
Um, Miss!
恩,小姐
Miss!
小姐
Come on! In you go.
来,快进去
Bye!
再见
See you there!
一会见
Astonishing bad luck,
倒霉透了
that they could find no flat to rent
他们找不到其他任何可以租用的公寓
except the one against our window.
除了对着我们窗户的那间
- Who could find no flat? - Oh, Tibby. The Wilcoxes.
是谁找不到 迪比,是威尔科克斯一家
Surely you remember that business last summer
你一定没忘记上个暑假发生的事吧
with Helen and Paul Wilcox?
海伦和保罗.威尔科克斯
Paul Wilcox
保罗.威尔科克斯
The one I was expected to thrash.
就是那个我以前一直想揍他一顿的那个吗
Oh, Miss!
噢,小姐
What is it? Is Tibby ill?.
怎么?迪比病了吗
Tibby's making tea.
迪比在沏茶
Oh. Well, if it's nothing worse than that
啊哈,没有比这更糟糕的事了
Now, Helen Oh, dear,
现在,海伦 噢,亲爱的
something odd has happened.
一些奇怪的事发生了
Promise me you won't mind.
请你发誓你不会介意
It's the Wilcoxes.
是威尔科克斯家的事情
They've taken the flat opposite for the wedding of their son.
他们在对面的公寓为他们的儿子 准备婚礼
The other son!
另一个儿子
You do mind.
你介意了
Will he say, "There lives the girl who tried to catch me."?
他还说,那里住的女生,曾经想要 和我一起生活
Ridiculous.
荒谬
They've only taken the flat for a few weeks, the porter said.
守门的说,他们才住了几个星期
Do we bow, or cut them dead?
我们是屈服还是和他们对着干到底
Darling? Why not take up Cousin Frieda's invitation
亲爱的,你怎么不接受 弗里达表姐的邀请
and go to Hamburg for those few weeks?
去汉堡住几个星期呢
Yes, I think I shall.
我想我应该这样的
Not that it matters, but
没什么,可
one wouldn't want to keep bumping into Wilcoxes.
没人愿意和威尔科克斯家的人 老是混在一起的
Don't hog all those scones, Tibby.
迪比,你别把所有的烧饼都吃完了
Is that young man for us?
那个年轻男子是来找我们的吗
He is for us.
他是为我们而来的
Um, pardon me, Miss, you took my umbrella.
恩,小姐,你拿了我的雨伞
Quite inadvertently, I'm sure.
我没注意到,不好意思
At the Ethical Hall. "Music and Meaning".
在民族会堂 音乐与想象
I'm so sorry.
啊,真对不起
I do nothing but steal umbrellas.
我不是想偷雨伞的
Do come in and choose one.
进来选一个
Let's see, is yours hooky or knobbly?
我们看看,你的是有钩的还是折叠的
Mine's knobbly, I think. How about this one?
我想我的是折叠的 这个呢
You shouldn't open these indoors. Never mind.
你不应该在室内打开的,别介意
It's gone along the seams, an appalling umbrella.
真是个奇怪的雨伞,还有裂缝
It must be mine.
应该是我的
I'm so sorry.
真对不起
Has my sister stolen your umbrella?
我妹妹偷了你的伞吗
Not again. She is an incorrigible thief. I am sorry.
不会有下次了,她不是小偷,我感到抱歉
I say, do stay for tea, Mr
我说,留下喝杯茶,先生
- Bast. - Mr Bast!
贝斯特 贝斯特先生
Yes, stay for tea, Mr Bast, it's the least we can do.
来,留下喝杯茶吧,贝斯特先生 这是我们唯一可以做的
Our brother's upstairs.
我们的弟弟在二楼
- He's soaked. Come up. - Come through. Bring him up.
他湿透了,上来 快带他上来
What did you think of the lecture?
你觉得那演讲怎么样
I don't agree about the goblins.
我不同意妖精的说法
I always imagined a trio of elephants dancing at that point.
我老是想象大象在用尾巴支着来跳舞
He obviously didn't. "Music and Meaning", Margaret.
他显然没有 音乐与想象,玛格丽特
Does music have meaning, of the literary kind?
音乐和文学一样的可以想象吗
- Pure slush. - guests.
纯粹的垃圾 客人来了
- Mr Bast, take off your coat. - And your umbrella.
贝斯特先生,脱下你的外套吧 雨伞也一起给我们
- Sit down. - Some tea?
请坐 来点茶怎么样
How boring, if only the score.
要是只有音符,那是多么的无聊
China tea? Only the score? What an insidious "only".
中国茶?只有音符? 好狡猾的只有
- We do have other tea. - Thank you.
我们还有其他茶 谢谢
Here are some scones Tibby hasn't consumed.
这里还有点烧饼 迪比没有全吃光
We are so very sorry.
我们真的非常抱歉
I hope you will come another day? Would you?
希望你会再来
We should be so glad. Do take our card.
请收下我们的卡片 我们会感到十分荣幸
Thank you. If you'll excuse me, I really must be going.
谢谢,我要走了
I'll see you out. Sure you don't want a scone?
我送你出去,真的不要烧饼吗
No, thank you. I must be going. goodbye.
不了,谢谢,我真的要走了,再见
Why didn't you make that young man welcome?
为什么你不欢迎那个年轻人
You must do the host a little.
你必须象个主人的样子
You could have coaxed him into stopping,
你应该尽力挽留他
instead of letting him be swamped by screaming women.
而不是让他湿淋淋的离开了 去被那些女人嘲笑
get your hot soup here!
喝点热汤
Hot soup! Lovely and warm!
热汤,幸福又温暖
That you, Len?
是你吗?廉
Where've you been?
你去哪了
- I'm off my head with worrying. - About what?
担心死我了 什么
- About you! - Let go, Jacky.
担心你啊 来,洁姬
Every time I'm late you see me dead,
每次我都迟到 你将会看我的头
crushed in a gruesome accident.
在可怕的事故中被撞的粉碎
People get killed and don't come home no more.
人们会在事故中失去生命 再也不能回家了
"Any more," Jacky. I told you I was going to a lecture,
好了,洁姬,我告诉过你
on "Music and Meaning".
我听"音乐与想象"的讲座
I lost my umbrella.
我不见了我的雨伞
It's all right, I got it back.
没关系,我拿回来了
You had your tea? I kept you a bit of tongue.
你的茶喝了吗 我让你觉得没胃口啊
- No. - Sure?
没 你确定吗
I'll have it, then.
我一会会吃完的.
Funny, isn't it? Every time I worry I get starvin' hungry.
多有趣,不是吗,次次我都担心要饿到
Thoughts that go through my 'ead.
然后就什么事都不想
You'd laugh.
你一定会笑
You listenin', Len?
你在听吗?廉
Not only accidents, but that you'll get wet in the rain.
不只是意外,你会被雨淋湿的
- Did ya? - No.
有吗 没
You said you lost your umbrella.
你说你的雨伞不见了啊
I said, "Lord, he'll catch cold,
我说,他会感冒的
"And where's the money to come from for the doctor?
哪有钱去看医生呢
"What if there's an accident, and they take him to hospital?.
如果真的有什么意外,而又被送到医院的话
- "With holes in his socks." - Jacky.
他的袜子上有洞 哈哈,洁姬
- I want to see. - What?
我想看 什么
- The holes in your socks. - Oh, stop it, Jacky.
你袜子上的洞 好了,洁姬
Len?
You coming to bed?
来床这里
I'll just finish this chapter.
我马上就好了
Len.
You love your Jacky, Len?
你爱你的洁姬,是吗?廉
Will you let me read?
可以让我看完吗
Len?
- You gonna make it all right? - Not that again?
你会处理好的,对吗 不会又重新来吧
We'll get married the day I'm 21.
我们会在21岁的时候结婚
I'd do it before
我必须在那之前完成
if it weren't for my brother'd come and put a stop to it.
如果我哥哥不来阻止我的话
What's he ever done for me?
他什么都没为我做过
That's right. What's anyone ever done?
是的 那其他人呢
It's just you and me.
只有你和我
If you left me I don't know what I'd do.
如果你离开我,我不知道要怎么办
Now, go to bed.
睡觉吧
You come too.
你也来吧
Come on!
Bookmarker.
书签
Margaret Schlegel.
玛格丽特.史克丽侏
And who is Margaret Schlegel?.
谁是玛格丽特.史克丽侏
Just a lady I met.
我认识的一位小姐
Oh, a lady? La-di-da.
噢,小姐,小-姐
Jacky, she's 100 years old.
洁姬,她100岁了
Says you. That's where you had tea.
你说,那是你喝茶的地方
Nice cucumber sandwiches cut ever so thin?
还没见过那么薄的三文治
"Ankle-deep he waded through the bluebells.
他越过了一片野风信子
"His spirit rose and exalted,
他的精神上升,提高
"as he breathed in the sun-drenched air.
他呼吸着充满太阳气息的空气
"The glorious day was in its last decline.
荣耀的日子存在于最后的衰落中
"Long shadows lay on the sward,
长长的影子落在草地上
"and from above the leaves dripped their shimmering drops
从叶子上滴下闪亮的露珠
"of gold-green light.
是金绿色的
"Moths and butterflies swarmed in merry hosts,
蛾和蝴蝶欢快的聚在一起
"flittering here, glimmering there,
在这里飞来飞去 在这里发亮
"but hush, could that be a deer?"
可是,肃静 那是一只鹿吗
Oh, please show her in.
噢,请带她进来
I'm so sorry
对不起
Why, Miss Schlegel.
为什么,玛格丽特小姐
How kind of you to call.
谢谢你这样喊我
I've wanted to for ever so long.
我希望一直得到你那样的称呼
But we haven't been here for ever so long.
但我们之间不再是那样了
Mrs Wilcox, um
威尔科克斯太太
May I?
可以吗
You see, all that business last summer at Howards End
你知道,上个暑假在霍华德庄园发生的事
No, further than that, since we met at Speyer, you remember?
不,更久以前.我们在斯派尔的相遇 你还记得吗
That restored cathedral we all hated so?
我们都讨厌那样重建的大教堂
What I remember principally about Speyer
我只记得在斯派尔
was the great pleasure of meeting you, Miss Schlegel.
和你相认识,史克丽侏小姐
Helen's gone to germany.
海伦去德国了
And Paul's gone to Nigeria.
保罗去了尼日利亚
So now we can meet because they can't.
我们可以见面因为他们不可以
What happened in the summer was unfortunate, don't you feel?.
去年夏天发生的事情真是不幸 你觉得吗
Because - I'm sure you think the same - they should not meet.
我想你也是这样认为的 他们不应该见面
Yes.
是的,我理解
They could fall in love, but can't live together.
他们可以相爱 却无法相处
In nine cases out of ten
十有八九的人都是这样的
Nature pulls one way and human nature the other.
现实是现实,感情是感情
I do rattle on. I shall tire you out in no time.
我喋喋不休的,烦到你了
It is true I am not particularly well just today,
今天我是有点不舒服
but I am so grateful for your visit, Miss Schlegel.
但是我十分高兴你来看我 史克丽侏小姐
My husband and daughter are on a motoring tour in Yorkshire,
我丈夫和女儿都去了约克夏
and the young couple on their honeymoon, Charles and Dolly.
那对新人又正在蜜月,卡里斯和多莉
May I see? How lovely.
我可以看看吗?好甜蜜
They've gone to Naples.
他们去了那不勒斯
I can hardly imagine my Charles in Naples.
我无法想象卡里斯在那不勒斯
- Doesn't he like travelling? - Oh, yes, he likes travel,
他不是喜欢旅游吗 是的,他喜欢
but he sees through foreigners so.
但是他不太喜欢外国人
What he would enjoy most is a motor tour through England.
他最喜欢的是在英国的汽车旅行
Charles takes after me, Miss Schlegel.
卡里斯和我十分象 史克丽侏小姐
He truly loves England.
他真的很喜欢伦敦
Not, of course, London. None of us love London.
不,当然,伦敦 我们都不喜欢伦敦
It's so
那太
It makes one feel so unstable.
让人觉得不稳定
Impermanent.
不长久
With houses being torn down on all sides.
会和房子一样总倒塌
Including, in the foreseeable future, ours.
包括,我们不久的将来
Are you having to leave Wickham Place?
你要离开威克汉吗
In 18 months, when the lease expires.
是的,18个月后,租约到期的时候
- Have you been there long? - All our lives.
你在那里待的久么 我们出生后就一直在那里
Oh. That is monstrous.
啊,真难以置信
Oh, I do pity you from the bottom of my heart,
真可怜
I'd no idea.
我不知道怎么说了
How dreadful.
真可怕
- Oh - Oh, you poor girls.
噢 好可怜的女孩
We are fond of the house, but it is an ordinary London house.
我们喜欢那房子,那是个普通的伦敦房子
We shall easily find another.
我们应该要可以方便的联系彼此
No.
Not in this world.
在这世上不是
Not the house you were born in.
不是你出生的那座房子
You'll never find that again.
你再也找不到了
Poor, poor girls.
可怜,可怜的女孩
Howards End was almost pulled down.
霍华德庄园曾差点被拆掉
It would've killed me.
差点害死我
It's my house, left to me by my brother who died in India.
那是我的房子 是我在印度死去的哥哥留给我的
I love it so.
我很爱它
I even resisted when Henry, my husband,
我甚至反抗 当我的丈夫亨利
wanted to make changes to improve the property.
想利用它赚点钱
He knew best, of course.
他当然很清楚怎么样最好
We even have a garage.
我们还有个车库
To the west of the house,
在房子的西边
just beyond the chestnut tree,
就在栗子树那边
in the paddock
在围场
where the pony used to be.
以前养小马的地方
Where's the pony gone?
那小马呢
The pony? Oh, dead, ever so long ago.
小马?死了有很久了
But, and a tremendous but, they take poetry seriously.
但是,大家请注意 他们对待诗歌是十分认真的
They do take poetry seriously.
他们真的十分认真地对待
But is anything gained?
可那有什么好处吗
The germans were always striving for beauty.
德国人还总是为美女而努力
Mrs Wilcox, my father was a german of the old school.
威尔科克斯太太 我父亲是德国人,曾在一间老学校里
A philosopher, idealist, countryman of Hegel and Kant.
是一个哲学家,理想主义者 他崇尚黑格尔和康德
Isn't that your father's sword upstairs?
楼上那剑是你父亲的吗
Yes, he was a soldier too, but so uncomfortable
是的,他还曾经是个军人 但是很不幸的
about being on the winning side he never used it again
战斗胜利以后 他就被闲置了
My idea has always been
我的主意 总是
if we could bring the mothers
如果我们可以把 母亲们
of the various nations together
从 不同的国家 聚集在一起
then there would be no more war.
那肯定就不会再有战争了
- Indeed, yes. - Absolutely.
事实上,是的 很明显
If the mothers went there'd be no one to defend.
如果母亲们都不在了 他们就没有需要守护的人了
- Mrs Wilcox, jelly? - Thank you.
威尔科克斯太太,要果子冻吗 谢谢你
You are fortunate in your cook.
有这样的仆人真幸运
We have found it difficult to get reliable servants.
想必你已经发现在伦敦很难有可信赖的仆人
- It is difficult. - As unreliable as we are.
是的,很难 都和我们一样不可靠
We expect them to listen to radical discussions.
我们无法指望他们听的懂激进的讨论
Annie does very well. You're very patient with us.
安妮做的非常好 是您对我们很有耐心
We never discuss at Howards End.
我们从来不在霍华德庄园讨论
Except perhaps sport.
除了,或者会讨论下运动
But you should, discussion keeps the house alive.
可是你得这样,讨论会让屋子里的气氛活跃
You will laugh at my old-fashioned ideas.
你或者会嘲笑我的古老思想
I will not.
我不会
I sometimes think
有时候我想
it would be wiser to leave action and discussion to men.
让男人去讨论和行动会比较好点
But where would we be with the suffrage?
但是那样我们就没有投票权了
I am only too thankful not to have the vote myself.
我只是庆幸不用给自己投票
Shall we go up for coffee?
我们上去喝点咖啡吗
Duncan, will you lead the way?
邓肯,你可以带路吗
- Take Berkeley, for example. - He's striving for something.
以伯克利为例 他正为某些东西而奋斗
What interesting lives you all lead.
你们拥有多有趣的生活啊
No, we don't.
不,我们没有
It's no use pretending you enjoyed lunch,
假装很享受午餐是没用的
but I hope you will forgive me by coming again, alone,
可是我希望你原谅我 我再单独一个人来
or by asking me to you.
或者你有时间就喊我来
I enjoyed my lunch. I wish I could have joined in more.
我很喜欢这个午餐 我喜欢下次还有这样的机会
You you're so clever,
你 你真聪明
and yet so good.
而且还 很棒
No, it's very kind, but I'm neither, I'm afraid.
不,都不,你这样说我很惶恐
You've kept me from brooding.
你让我不再是一个人发呆
I'm too apt to brood.
我很容易就一个人发呆
About what?
关于什么
I don't know, I really don't know.
我不知道 我真的不自动
I think about my house.
我会想我的房子
You've never seen Howards End. I want to show it to you.
你还没有见过霍华德庄园 我很想让你看看
This is scientific Christmas shopping, a list.
这样是很科学的圣诞购物,列一张表
A list? What a good idea.
列一张表,好主意
Why don't you put your name at the top?
为什么不写上你的名字
Oh, hooray. How very kind of you to start with me.
太好了,你帮我开了个头
Schlegel. Now, next, shall I put Mr Wilcox?
史克丽侏. 接着我想写上威尔科克斯先生
I know, it's these I mean.
我知道,我早就想到你会这样了
What do you think of that?
你觉得怎么样
Ohhh, yes! Thank you very much.
啊,太好了,谢谢你了
- good, I'm glad. - You are wonderfully efficient.
哈,我十分荣幸 你真能干
- Could we wrap that? - Certainly.
帮我包起来好吗 好的
But your name still remains at the top of the list.
但是你还没买到自己的东西
Yes. So, Dolly, there she goes.
是,多莉
I would like to give you something worth your friendship.
我想送你点什么以表示我们的友谊
Couldn't you get it renewed?
你不能把它更新吗
- I beg your ? - The lease of your house.
什么 你房子的租约
Have you been thinking of that?
你没有想过吗
Surely something could be done?
是的,有些事是应该做的
No, values have risen. They mean to pull down Wickham Place.
但是,价格一直涨,他们想把那里拆了 建成你们那样的房子
- How horrible. - Landlords are horrible.
真恐怖 房东们都是这样的
So are the flats they build.
他们建的公寓也一样
I fail to understand how people actually choose to live in them.
我实在不明白,人们为什么会住进去
There we are.
这些都是
There we are, thank you.
这些都是,谢谢
Thank you.
谢谢
Mm-aah-hah.
恩,啊
I'm sorry. We shouldn't have done this today.
对不起,我们今天不该这样
No, no, we had to do it before.
不,不,我们以前就是这样的
- Before? - Before my operation.
以前 我做手术之前
I still haven't told my family yet, everyone hates illnesses.
我还没有告诉我家人 大家都讨厌生病
Oh, that's as it should be.
这样很正常
There's a chestnut tree at Howards End.
那里有棵栗子树 在霍华德庄园里
It has pigs' teeth stuck in the trunk, 4 feet from the ground.
有个猪牙镶在离地四英尺的树干上
Yes, the teeth of a pig.
是的,猪的牙齿
The country people put them there long ago,
是乡下人很久以前镶上去的
and they think if they chew a piece of the bark
他们相信那样啃一片吃皮
it will cure the toothache.
就可以治牙疼
Yes, I love folklore and the old superstitions.
我欣赏民间传说 和迷信
It's curious - unlike greece, England has no true mythology.
那很奇怪,不象希腊和英国没有真的神话
All we have are witches and fairies.
我们只有童话故事
Will you come with me to Howards End?
你会和我去霍华德庄园吗
I would so much like to!
我很高兴有这样荣幸
- Come with me now. - It is too late, surely?
现在就和我去,我们现在就去吧 现在太晚了点吧
I want you to see it.
要是快点的话,五点还有火车 我想让你看看
And I want to see it. It sounds such a glorious place.
我也很想看看 那听起来是一个很显赫的地方
Yes. I lived there before I was married.
是的,我结婚前在那住了很久
I was born there.
我在那里出生的
Well, might I come some other day?
我可以改天去吗
Yes some other day.
恩..改天吧
Well, a thousand thanks, Miss Schlegel, for your help.
好的,很感谢你的帮忙 史克丽侏小姐
It is a comfort to have the presents off my mind.
把心理话都说出来真舒服
I do admire your choice.
我很喜欢你的选择
Whoa!
Mrs Wilcox?
威尔科克斯太太
Miss Schlegel!
史克丽侏小姐
- I will come if I still may. - Return to Hilton.
要是我还行的话,我会回来的
- You must stop the night. - Yes.
你今晚一定要留下 是的
In the morning my house looks best.
我的房子在清晨是最美的
Two returns, please.
两个双程,谢谢
Thank you.
谢谢
This is yours.
这是你的
I can't show you my meadow except in sunlight.
在有太阳的时候,我才让你看我的牧场
It was so romantic in Italy.
那在意大利真浪漫
The two trains stopped either side, and I opened a window
是的,两边都停有火车 我打开窗子
and this man just handed a rose across. I don't where he got it.
看见有人拿着玫瑰花路过 我不知道他在什么地方得的
- Was he Italian? - I think so.
是意大利吗 我想也是
- He'd have to be Italian. - Mother!
他应该是意大利人 妈妈
Evie? My dearest girl!
爱薇,可爱的小女孩
- Ruth? - Aren't you in Yorkshire?
鲁思吗 你不是在约克夏吗
We crashed. going to Howards End?
我们撞车了,去是霍华德庄园吗
- Yes. - Why?
是的 为什么
- Darling. - How are you?
亲爱的 你还好吗
Fit as a fiddle. Remember Miss Schlegel?.
好的很呢 记得史克丽侏小姐吗
Miss Schlegel?. Yes, Happy Christmas.
史克丽侏小姐 是的,圣诞快乐
We crashed the car in Yorkshire.
我们在约克夏撞了车
We must go - you can't go to Howards End, it's ten to five.
我们得走了,你去不了庄园 那是九点五十五分的
Miss Schlegel, our little outing will have to be another day.
史克丽侏小姐,我们只有另外找时间了
There's a german expression for that, Miss Schlegel?.
那是德国式的表达 史克丽侏小姐
"Aufgeschoben ist nicht aufgehoben."
"Not cancelled, but postponed." Come home with us?
没有取消,只有延期 和我们一起回家吗
- No, no. - Sure?
不,不了,你们请便 真的吗
- goodbye. - Bye.
再见 再见
How lovely to see you
看见你真高兴
I've been thinking of you,
我一直都想着你
and of our meadow.
还有我们的牧场
Here.
这里
The day you are strong enough I shall hold you to your promise.
等你康复了,我一定要你实践你的诺言
Oh, Miss Schlegel.
噢,史克丽侏小姐
So, to repeat, we have here,
我们来重复一次,我们都在这里
forwarded by the Matron of the nursing home,
是拜托看护院的护士长
sealed and addressed to me,
密封了然后寄给我
a note purporting to be in your mother's writing,
你妈妈的亲笔信
and it says, "I would like Miss Schlegel, Margaret,
上面写着,我希望 史克丽侏.玛格丽特小姐
"to have Howards End."
拥有霍华德庄园
Mother never wrote that.
妈妈从来没这样写过
Well, no date, no signature.
没日期,没签名
Of course, it's a forgery.
那肯定是伪造物
Not now, please. Later, thank you.
等等,一会,谢谢
The house was, of course, your mother's to leave.
母亲把那房子留给她所希望给的人
Let me see it.
让我看看
It's only in pencil. Pencil never counts.
那只不过是铅笔写的 铅笔写的不算数
We know it is not legally binding, Dolly.
我们知道这不合法,多莉
We consider you one of the family,
当然,亲爱的,我们当你是家里的一员
but it will be better if you don't interfere.
但是在你不清楚状况的前提下 请不要插嘴,谢谢
The question is whether,
问题是
during the time Miss Schlegel managed to befriend my mother
在史克丽侏小姐设法和我妈妈 成为朋友的期间
It's not undue influence. The question is the
我不觉得其中有不恰当的影响存在 在我脑海中的问题是
invalid's condition when the note was written.
这张纸条写的不太合理 我亲爱的爸爸
Consult an expert if you wish,
如果你想应该和专家谈一下
but I don't admit it is mother's writing.
但是我不会承认那是妈妈的笔迹
- You just said it was. - Never mind if I did.
你才说是的 别在意,要是我曾经说了的话
So, we agree. Legally, I would be justified in tearing this up.
那样的话,我们都同意,合法地把它撕了
All else aside, how is this gift to be conveyed to Miss Schlegel?.
另外 要是这个已经通知了史克丽侏小姐呢
Is it a life interest, or to own it absolutely?
她是感兴趣住那儿还是要完全拥有呢
She may turn us all out.
她有可能一下子就把我们全都赶出去
I don't believe Miss Schlegel knows anything about this
我认为史克丽侏小姐还没知道这件事
whim of your mother's.
是你妈妈的突发奇想
Mother believed in ancestors,
妈妈相信祖先
she would never leave anything to an outsider.
她不会留任何东西给外人的
If Miss Schlegel had been poor, had wanted a house
要是史克丽侏小姐变的很穷 她想要把
but she has a house, why should she want another?
但是她已经有房子了 为什么还会想要另一个呢
She wouldn't have wanted us to see this.
她不会希望我们见到它
No, your poor mother would not have wanted it.
不,你可怜的妈妈不会这样想的
Len? You comin' in?
廉,你进来吗
In a minute. Yeah, all right.
等一下,好的
What are you looking at?
你在看什么
See that big one? That's Ursa Major,
看到那个大的没 那是主星
the great Bear.
大熊座
Follow those two down, four times,
沿着这两个下次 四倍
and that's the Pole Star. I'm fairly certain.
而那是北极星 我很肯定
They're just stars.
他们只是星星
Jacky, stop it, it's important.
洁姬,别这样,这很重要
You'll catch your death.
你要知道你死亡的日子啊
Excuse me, sir
抱歉,先生
Yes, yes, yes. All signed, seems fine to me.
是,是,是,都签了 看起来不错
Would you complete that?
你可以 完成这个吗
Yes, of course, sir.
当然了,先生
"The trees reared in mighty columns,
树种在大柱子的后面
"their tops still radiant in sunlight,
他们的顶部在阳光下发光
"which spilling downward through the wealth of leaves
光透过密密麻麻的叶子
"dissolved at last in the darkness of the mossy earth.
最后溶解在漆黑的长满青苔的地上
"Their colour slowly faded from out of the flowers,
它们的颜色慢慢从花里退去
"but their scent lingered,
但是却留下了他们的香味
"to honey the air he breathed."
使他呼吸到的空气变甜
There's a woman to see you, ma'am.
有个女人想见你,小姐
- Not a lady, Annie? - She won't give her name.
不是女士吗,安妮 她没说她的名字
- Ask her up. - She says she won't.
喊她上来 她说她不
Well, we shall have to go down.
恩,我们要下去
good afternoon.
下午好
- I'm looking for my husband. - Here?
我正在找我的丈夫 在这里吗
Thank you, Annie.
谢谢你,安妮
I have reasons to believe he's here.
我有我的理由相信他在这里
- You're welcome to search. - Sorry, your husband's name?
你可以在这里找他 不好意思,你丈夫的名字是什么
Leonard Bast, as I'm sure you're aware.
廉纳德.百斯 我肯定你知道他的
Are we concealing a Mr Bast?
玛格丽特,我们藏了百斯先生吗
There appears to be some mistake.
看来有点误会
We are not acquainted with your husband.
我们不认识你丈夫
No, I know for a fact he has visited this house.
不,没有误会 我知道他曾经来过这里的
- He had tea here. - A grave allegation.
他曾经在这里喝茶 好大胆的断言
Corrupting a married man with tea!
哈,已婚男人喝茶就是去鬼混
- I wish we could help. - It seems you can't.
我希望能帮上你什么忙 看起来你不能
Or won't.
或者是不帮
Except to laugh at my expense.
除了嘲笑我的到来
I'm sorry to have troubled you, and wish you a good afternoon.
十分抱歉麻烦到你 午安
The drawing room reeks of smoke.
你请随便 画室在冒烟
- If you took smoking too - I doubt it.
如果你抽太多烟的话 我很怀疑
- This is lovely, Annie. - There's a Mr Bast
这个味道真不错 有一位百斯先生
- I don't believe it! - The missing husband!
真不敢相信 哈哈,失踪的丈夫
The one corrupted with tea? I'll do the host.
那个来喝过茶的 我会招待他的
- Thank you. - Mr Bast? This way.
谢谢 百斯先生,这边
Do come in, Mr Bast.
进来,百斯先生
- good evening. - Do have some pudding.
晚上好 请用点布丁
Or would you prefer some dinner?
还是一起吃晚饭呢
I've eaten, thank you.
我吃过了,谢谢
- glass of wine? Port? - No, thank you.
来杯酒吗 不了,谢谢
Do take a seat and let us know how we can help.
请坐,我们有什么可以帮忙的吗
You wouldn't remember giving me this?
你忘记了你给过我这个
- Not as such. - That was how it happened.
不是这样吧 这就是问题所在,你看
- What? - Where did we meet?
什么 我们在什么地方见过,百斯先生
- I don't remember. - More than a year ago.
我不记得了 一年前的事情了
At the Ethical Society, the lecture on "Music and Meaning".
在民族会堂 有关音乐与想象的讲座
The mistake arose from my card?
是因为我的卡片而引起的误会吗
The lady who called thought she would find you here?
昨天有位女士来这里找你 她很担心的样子
In the afternoon, I said to Mrs Bast,
下午,我和我太太说
"I have to call on friends," and Mrs Bast said, "Do go".
我和百斯太太说,我得打电话给我朋友 百斯太太说,打吧
But while I was gone she wanted me on important business
但是我走了以后,她有重要的事情要和我商量
and thought I had come here.
又以为我来了这里,因为这个卡片
I beg to tender our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
我为我们的打扰感到十分抱歉
None at all, truly.
没关系,真的
I don't understand, when did you pay this call?.
我还是不明白 你是什么时候打的电话
In the afternoon, of course.
当然是下午了
Saturday or Sunday?
星期六还是星期天
- Saturday. - Really?
星期六 真的吗
Until Sunday when your wife came here? A long visit.
当你妻子来这里的时候你还在打电话吗 好漫长的造访
It was good of you to come, the rest is no concern of ours.
你来了就好了 其他的事都不是我们所关心的
I hope you will join us upstairs for coffee?
我希望你和我们一起到楼上喝点咖啡
It's not what you think!
那不是你想的那样的
I was I left my office and walked.
我 我辞职了然后一直走
Right out of London.
彻底的离开伦敦
I was walking all Saturday night.
整个星期六晚上都在一直走
All night? In the dark?
整个晚上?在黑暗中吗
So dark I couldn't see my hand.
十分的黑,以至连自己的手都看不见
Mr Bast, you must be a born explorer.
百斯先生,你一定是天生的探索者
I tried to steer by the Pole Star, but I lost it.
我试着按北极星的方向走,但是我走丢了
Don't tell me about the Pole Star, I know its little ways.
别跟我说北极星,我不太懂这个 你跟着它转啊
Yes, but why? Why did you do it?
是,可是为什么 为什么你要那样做
I wanted to just walk,
我想 只是想一直走
just get out. I've been reading "The Ordeal of Richard Feverel".
走出去.我在读理查德.弗朗的严酷的考验
That chapter where Richard walks all night.
那里有一章是写理查德一直走了整个晚上
- In a forest. - Yes, what's that ?
在月夜的森林里 对,是那个什么
Oh, I know, um
我理解那意思
"The forest drooped glimmeringly."
迷人的森林
Wait, I'll get it.
等等,我明白了
The chapter's "Nature Speaks".
那章是,和自然的对话
Where do your people come from?
你们从哪里来的
- London. - Yes, I mean before that.
伦敦 我知道,我的意思是在那之前
They didn't always live in a town?
他们不是都住在镇里
No, they came from Shropshire. They worked on the land.
不他们来自萨罗普署 他们在那里耕种
They were agricultural labourers.
他们是农工
There, you see? It was ancestral voices calling you.
那里,听见吗?是祖先的声音在呼唤你
Yes, here it is.
是的
"Richard was walking hurriedly.
理查德走的很快
"A pale gre light displayed the dawn."
苍白的光示意黎明的到来
- Did you see dawn? - Yes.
你看过黎明的景象吗 有
- Was it wonderful?. - No.
漂亮吗 不
It was only grey, and by then I was so hungry.
只有灰色,而当时我又饿了
When you're walking you want food during the night as well.
当你在夜里一直走的时候你会想要食物
I had a packet of Woodbines.
我只有一包东西
Your Mr Bast wouldn't know what to do if you gave him money.
你的百斯先生会不知道该怎么样 要是你给他钱的话
Such crass materialism out of your mouth, Margaret.
玛格丽特,那么市侩的话怎么会在你嘴里出来的
Let us give Mr Bast money.
让我们给百斯先生钱吧
goodbye, goodbye!
再见,再见了
Thank you.
谢谢你
good night!
晚安
What do you think is the most important thing in the world?
你觉得这个世界上最重要的东西是什么
I suppose whatever matters to you most.
我觉得对于你什么都是一样的
Like love, for instance?
就拿爱情做例子
Yes, like love, or Oxford, if you're Tibby.
是的象爱情 或者牛津,如果你是迪比
- Miss Schlegel?. Henry Wilcox. - Hello.
史克丽侏小姐?亨利.威尔科克斯 你好
- good evening. - How nice to see you.
晚上好 真高兴见到你
I heard ladies talking of love.
我听到女士们正在谈论爱情
We were continuing a discussion.
我们正在继续刚才的讨论
Yes?
是吗
Yes, we belong to a sort of club which meets for discussions.
是我,我们参加了一个俱乐部 每个礼拜都会讨论一些事情
I would've thought you would be at Howards End?
你最近怎样,我以为你在霍华德庄园
We've bought a house in Mayfair.
霍华德庄园出租了 我们买了房子在伦敦那里
Mr Wilcox, supposing you were a millionaire
你是百万富翁啊
- I expect you are! - Mmm.
我希望你是 恩
We have met a poor young man, sensitive and intelligent.
我们认识一个很穷的年轻人 他很聪明很有才华
If one was a millionaire how could one help?
我们好奇,如果有富翁可以帮他的话
- What profession? - A clerk, in, what ?
他的职业是什么 他是个书记在
The Porphyrion Fire Insurance Company.
在普菲宁火保险公司
- Porphyrion? - Yes.
在普菲宁吗 是的
Ahh. Then, Miss Schlegel, if I were to help your clerk
啊哈,那史克丽侏小姐 如果我帮你的那个书记
I'd advise him to clear out of the Porphyrion.
我劝他尽早和脱离普菲宁 为什么
This is between friends.
这是朋友间的,你明白
The Porphyrion is insufficiently reinsured.
普菲宁不行了,而且会在圣诞钱被收购
In other words, it will smash.
也就是说,他会倒闭
Helen, the Porphyrion will smash!
听到没有,海伦 普菲宁要完了
We must warn Mr Bast to get another place!
我们得让百斯先生找其他工作
I hope he will, very quickly.
希望他会快点
A man already in a situation when he applies for work
不需要再确定吗 已经决定了
stands a much better chance.
如果某人正在工作岗位上 去找另一个工作,机会会多一点
This is letting you into state secrets,
这个是告诉你秘密
but it does affect an employer.
不过它只对员工有较大的影响
Human nature, I'm afraid.
人性,我害怕
Our nature is to employ people because they're unemployed.
我们雇用别人,因为他们失业
The boot man, for instance.
以擦鞋的人为例
- How does he clean boots? - Not well.
他是怎么样擦的 不怎么样
Is it difficult nowadays to get a situation?
就现在来说,有个好工作相当的不容易
- Extremely. - I'm sorry about Howards End.
是的,很不容易 我对霍华德庄园感到抱歉
That you're not living there.
你不住那里了
I think I have some idea how much it meant to Mrs Wilcox.
我觉得我明白那对威尔科克斯太太的意义
But to us it has certain drawbacks.
但是对我们来说,它有很多不利
Would you be able to help our friend to a new situation?
你可以帮我们的朋友找个新工作吗
Unfortunately, we have very few vacancies,
很不幸,我们只有十分少的空缺
and when there is one, always hundreds of applicants.
而一旦有空缺,将有上百个申请者
Of course.
当然了
- It has been a pleasure. - Yes, indeed.
非常荣幸高兴 是的,确实这样
I hope your clerk finds success.
我希望你那年轻的书记可以成功
- Thank you. - good night.
谢谢 晚安
He was in a hurry to get away.
他很急着走的样子,不是吗
Mr Bast, you may have thought our letter a little odd.
百斯先生,我怕你会误会把我们的意思
We're not odd, just over-expressive.
我们没有误导 只是说过头了
The more a lady has to say, the better.
一个女士讲得越多,越好 每次谈话女士都会表现的很聪明
They're regular sunbeams. Let me give you a plate.
他们是很快乐的人 让我给你个盘子
Your company is the Porphyrion, isn't it? Is it a solid concern?
你的公司叫普菲宁,对吗 让你十分的挂虑吗
Cake? Big one, or one of these little deadlies?
蛋糕,是大的还是这些小的
It depends what you mean.
那要看你是什么意思
We were told Porphyrion's no-go.
我们被告知普菲宁要倒闭了了
A friend of ours did think that it's insufficiently reinsured.
我们的一个朋友认为它不行了
- And advised you to clear out. - Tell your friend he's wrong.
建议你离开 告诉你的朋友他错了
Oh, good.
啊,好棒
Wrong, so to speak.
错了,请讲
- How? - So to speak?
怎么 说啊
I wouldn't say he was right altogether.
我不能说他完全对
Then he is right partly?
他对了一部分吗
Tell your friend to to mind his own business.
告诉你的朋友 担心自己的生意就好了
- Annie? - Mr Wilcox, Miss Wilcox.
安妮 威尔科克斯先生,威尔科克斯小姐
What a surprise!
真惊喜
Oh, they're beautiful.
在,他们真漂亮
Mr Wilcox, do come in.
威尔科克斯先生进来
Forgive us calling so unexpectedly.
请原谅我们忽然到访
Come and play with the puppies!
百斯先生,来和这些小狗玩吧
Mr Wilcox, this is Mr Bast.
威尔科克斯先生,这是百斯先生
I must be going.
我要走了
Must you really? Well, come again.
真要走吗 好的,有空再来
No, I shan't come again.
不,我不会来了
I call that very rude. Why turn on me like that?
我觉得那样很无礼 你要我怎么样
I thought you invited me for a friendly chat.
我以为你邀请我是朋友的聊天
Instead you want to pick my brains about my work, for him.
而事实你是批评我的工作,因为他 噢,对,质问他,骚扰他
- No, no - Are we intruding? Shall we go?
不,不 我们打扰了?是不是应该离开
No, no. Helen, go after him. Explain.
不,不,海伦,追上他,解释下
What was all that about?
到底是怎么样了
I knew I shouldn't have come. Things always get spoiled.
我知道不该来 事情总是会变糟糕的
Things do, but people don't.
事情是这样,但人不是
Don't you understand? We really did want to warn you!
你真的不明白吗 我们真心提醒你关于普菲宁的事情
We were worried about you.
我们担心你
Why should you worry about me?
你们干嘛担心我
Because we like you, that's why.
因为什么喜欢你,这就是原因
You noodle.
你真笨
There's no cause for names.
那和名誉无关
Yes, there is, when a person's being tremendously stupid.
是的,那是有人笨到了极点
Listen, this is serious.
听着,很严肃地
You should look for a post now, before anything happens.
在事情发生前 你应该找一个新的工作
Will you?
你会吗
- I'll think about it. - No.
我会考虑的 不,你必须行动
Search for another place while you have one.
你得找个新的工作,当你还没有失去现在的
Promise you will do that, at least.
请保证你至少会这样做
Please.
好吗
All right. Thank you, Miss Schlegel.
好的,谢谢,史克丽侏小姐
Tell us when you've found another place.
当你找到新工作的时候要来通知我们
Don't say no, don't dare to say no.
别说不,千万不要说不
And don't forget your umbrella, or you'll say we pinched it.
还有不要忘了你的雨伞,别又说我们收了你的
You ought to be more careful. Don't let such people in.
你应该小心点,不该让这样的人进来的
We invited him in! We wanted to see him and maybe help him.
是我们请他进来的,我们想见他想帮他
Not only in a practical way.
不仅这样
Behave too well to people and they impose on you.
你对人太好了,但是他们却在骗你
I know that type of man.
我知道他那种人
He is not a "type".
他不同,威尔科克斯先生
No, he is a quite unusual young man.
不,他是一个很与众不同的年轻人
He has something in him, he wants better than he's got.
他有自己的想法 他想让自己有更好的东西
- Ahh. - Yes.
啊哈 是的
He has a romantic ambition.
他很浪漫
Your view of him is romantic.
你对他的观点就是浪漫
Miss Schlegel.
史克丽侏小姐
Evie.
爱薇
Something to remember Mrs Wilcox by,
还记得威尔科克斯太太
in return for your kindness to her.
要回报你和她的情谊吗
Oh, thank you so much.
啊,十分感谢
What a lovely thought, thank you.
多可爱的想法 谢谢
She would want you to have it.
她想让你拥有它,她为此而骄傲
It's beautiful. Are you sure?
好美啊,你确定吗
Is it 18th-century? Must be crystal.
是十八世纪的吗 一定是水晶
Thank you. Thank you, Evie.
谢谢,谢谢你.爱薇
- What did she look like? - Old maid type.
她看起来象什么呢 相当古老的式样
Why did Father want to ask her? Here she is.
不知道爸爸为什么想要我去问她 她说说,一直说,这就是她
- Miss Schlegel?. - Miss Wilcox
史克丽侏小姐 威尔科克斯小姐
How do you do. This is my fiance'e, Percy Cahill.
你好吗,这是我未婚夫,帕西.卡乔
- Ahh, good afternoon. - Hello!
哈,下午好 下午好
I didn't expect to see you.
我没想到会见着你
Evie told me, so I secured a table. Evie, sit there.
爱薇告诉我的,所以订了桌子 爱薇坐那
Miss Schlegel, if you please.
史克丽侏小姐,要是可以的话
Mr Cahill, there.
卡乔先生,这里
Are you still worrying around after your young clerks?
你还在担心那年轻书记吗
- I hope you're hungry. - Famished.
我希望你饿了 很饿,我要吃很多东西
good, what'll you have?
很好.你要什么
Fish pie.
鱼排
Fancy coming for the fish pie to Simpson's.
来点辛普森那奇特的鱼排 这不太合适
go for something for me, then.
一会也给我弄点男人吃的
Right, um, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding,
对,烤牛肉和约克郡布丁
and cider to drink, that's the thing to go for.
恩 再来点苹果酒喝. 就这样吧
I like this, once in a while.
我挺喜欢这里的
It's so thoroughly old English.
很古典的英国色彩
I began an inventory of possessions.
我开始把我们的财产列详细目录
There are 300 things in the drawing room alone,
在画室里就有超过300件东西 谢谢
not counting books. Whatever shall I do?
那还没把书算进去呢 我可以做些什么
Modern ownership of movables is reducing us to a nomadic horde.
那些现代的东西把浪漫的感觉都破坏了
We are reverting to a civilisation of luggage.
是的,我们正想要恢复成英国式的箱子
- Thank you. - Thank you, sir.
谢谢 谢谢,先生
Always tip the carver. Tip everywhere's my motto.
我一直都有小费 向来这样
- It makes life more human. - And they remember.
那样令生活更人性化 而他们也会记住
Especially in the East.
特别是在东方,要是你给小费的话
- Have you been? - greece and the Levant.
你有去过东方吗 有,希腊,地中海地区
Cyprus for sport and business.
我还去过塞浦路斯谈生意和运动
A few piastres distributed helped keep one's memory green.
一点点恩惠就可以人的记忆不退
- How cynical! - Not a bit, simply realistic.
有点愤世嫉俗 一点也不,只是有点现实
- How would you like your beef? - Well done.
你觉得这牛肉怎么样 不错
- You don't like cheese. - I adore cheese.
你不喜欢芝士.我没有点 我喜欢芝士
- You said you didn't. - That's a despicable lie.
你说过你不喜欢的 那是最卑劣的谎话
- You've gone pink. - I haven't.
你脸都红了 我没有
- You have, your ears - Evie, I like that.
你有,你的耳朵 爱薇,我喜欢这样
I'm Miss Schlegel's house agent.
我是史克丽侏小姐的房屋经纪
I want a new home and someone must find it.
我想在9月时拥有一个新房子 必须有人去找,我不行
- Do you know anything? - Can't say I do.
你知道些什么吗? 我不能说我知道
I wish you'd give us Howards End.
我希望你可以把霍华德庄园给我们
Howards End, I'm afraid, is let.
霍华德庄园,我想它已经租出了
Can't you turn them out for us?
你可以转租给我们吗
No.
We're nearly demented.
我们快疯掉了
Mr Wilcox, I am demented.
威尔科克斯先生,我有点精神错乱
One bit of advice.
一个小建议
Fix your district, fix your price, then don't budge.
修整下你那地方,改一下价格 那就会没事了
That's how I got Jewsy Street and Oniton.
这就是我怎么拿到爵司街和奥灵顿的
Well, I shall
好的,我应该
look around a bit for you.
为你到处去看看
- Would you? - Yes.
你会吗 当然
- Would you really? - Yes.
你真的会吗 是的
How kind! But the house has not been built to suit the Schlegels
你太好了!但是这个房子的建筑不适合 史克丽侏一家
It's no fun helping us.
这没什么有趣的帮助
Fun? No, a pleasure and a privilege to do whatever I can.
有趣?不,但是我给予史克丽侏.玛格丽特 小姐特殊照顾和让她快乐的
Thank you very much.
太感谢你了
"Dear Miss Schlegel,
亲爱的史克丽侏小姐
"dare I intrude on your holiday and request you come to London,
容我大胆邀你在假日时来伦敦
"where you are greatly missed? The matter is of some urgency."
这里是你不可错过的地方 而且事情比较紧急
But to interrupt your holiday,
但还是打扰了你的假日
and before we have undertaken any of our excursions?
在我们同意去旅行之前
You haven't even been to Nine Barrows Down.
你还没有去过九推车镇
I shall be back before long.
我知道,我必须尽快回去
Let me go up today and take the house if possible.
今天我们就到镇里去 然后有可能的话就把房子拿了
Whose house is this?
是谁的房子
Mr Wilcox's. You are being obtuse. Is it on purpose?
威尔科克斯先生的,你真笨 你还是不清楚我们的意思吗
Look, "Owing to changed circumstances,"
看,以拥有去改变环境
Evie's getting married, "I no longer need a house this size,
爱薇准备结婚了,那是他的女儿 我不再需要那么大的伦敦房子
"and am willing to let." It's perfect.
我很乐意把他长租出去 那真完美
Of our acquaintances, only Mr Wilcox is stuck.
在我们的熟人里 威尔科克斯先生是最执着的
We've met more interesting people.
我们认识了更多有趣的人
Interesting people don't get one houses.
有趣的人没有一间房子
I shall never forget that dreadful motor car and Charles.
我不该忘记那可怕的卡里斯开可怕的车
My one consolation is I was able to be useful.
令人安慰的是我可以帮你们的忙
Thank you, Aunt Juley.
谢谢,朱莉娅阿姨
Now it is my turn to be useful.
现在是我发挥作用的时候了
This is the ballroom.
这是舞厅
goodness.
老天
Like it?
喜欢吗
Rather!
太棒了
Even I know a good thing when I see it.
我还没看过这么棒的
But nowadays, with Evie out when I get home in the evenings,
但是现在,爱薇要出嫁了 当我晚上回来的时候
I can't stand the place.
我会触景伤情的
- It would be very lonely. - Yes.
会让你觉得很孤独 是的
Do you ever get lonely?
你曾经有感到孤独吗
I soon shall, horribly.
很快就会了,真可怕
It's heart-breaking to leave one's old home.
离开老家总让人觉得伤心
How high this ceiling must be.
啊,天花板到底有多高啊
Mm? Yes, must be over 30 feet. Maybe 40, I should think.
是,超过30尺 不,可能40,我觉得
Perhaps even more.
甚至可能更高
Miss Schlegel?.
史克丽侏小姐
Um
I've had you here under false pretences.
我好像让你在这听讲错误的讲解
To speak on a more serious matter.
我想严肃的谈下关于这房子的事
Umm
Do you think you could be induced to share
你认为你可以共享
Is it at all probable that ?
我是说, 这是很可能的
Oh, yes, I see.
噢,恩,我明白
Miss Schlegel Margaret.
史克丽侏小姐 玛格丽特
I don't think you understand.
我认为你不明白
- Oh, indeed, yes. - I'm asking you to be my wife.
啊,是的,真的 我在求你当我的妻子
Yes, I know.
是的,我知道
- I know. - Are you offended?
我明白 让你不高兴了吗
How could I be?
我怎么会
Perhaps I should have written?
是不是我应该要写下来
No, you will receive a letter from me.
不,你会收到我的信
- Thank you. - Not at all.
谢谢 不客气
And it's you I thank.
是我应该谢谢你
Umm
Should I order the motor round now?
我现在是不是该买车
That would be most kind.
那实在太好了
Evie, she will never set foot here.
爱薇,她不会再踏入这个房子了
- It's not my fault. - Of course it is!
那不是我的错 那当然是你的错
going around hob-nobbing with those girls.
老是和史克丽侏家的女孩那么亲热
girls? They're hardly girls.
女孩?她们不能算是女孩了
I never dreamt of such a thing.
我从来没有这样想过
Dad made me ask her to Simpson's.
爸爸让我打电话邀请她去辛普森
Well, I'm off Dad.
恩,我和爸爸有隔膜
You've woken Diddums, I knew you would.
你把笛顿弄醒了 我知你会
Miss Schlegel's got us on toast.
史克丽侏小姐大概会请我们喝酒
You know, she always meant to get hold of Howards End,
你知道,她一直想得到整个霍华德庄园.
now, thanks to you, she's got it.
现在,谢谢你 她得到了
I call that most unfair.
我觉得那样很不公平
Pretend to break off your engagement,
爱薇,为什么你不解除婚约
then perhaps your father will quarrel with Miss Schlegel.
那样你爸爸可能就不会和史克丽侏小姐结婚了
- Stop talking nonsense, Dolly. - I'm getting married.
别说那些没头没脑的事了 我正准备结婚呢
- Dad can do what he likes. - She's taking Mother's place.
父亲可以做任何他想做的事 她要取代妈妈的位置
The idea.
这个主意
I could scratch her eyes out.
我可以把那女人的眼睛挖出来
Come on, Dolly. I'll have a try.
拜托,多莉,我来试试 说废话是没用的
Come on. We're in a bad hole and must make the best of it.
我们处境不利 得找个最好的出路
But I'll keep my eye on those Schlegels,
不过我会随时注意着史克丽侏家的人的
and if they're putting on airs with their artistic beastliness,
而一旦她们露出狐狸尾巴
I intend to put my foot down.
我就会把他们揪起来
Yes, firmly.
是的,当然
I've had a letter too, not a nice one.
我也有一封信,是不好的 我想告诉你
My letter is about Howards End.
我的信是有关霍华德庄园
The tenants have decamped,
房客逃走了
and he's trying to sublet the house.
多糟啊 他在试着转租房子
You hear? To sublet the house.
你听到吗?转租房子
Henry, have you had a chance to talk with Helen yet?
亨利,你还没有找到机会和海伦说吗
- A talk with Helen? - Well, do.
和海伦说啊 那,在你离开之前说吧
I'm just anxious you two should be friends.
我只是希望你们将成为朋友
We've hit it off. Shhh.
我们总会一起度过
Well, we do. There's no clause for subletting. Read it.
恩,我们会的,没有任何有关转租条款 你读一下
- Awfully jolly. - Thank you.
这真是可怕的玩笑 谢谢
Especially that. Foxgloves.
是,特别是这个,毛地黄
- Dear old digitalis. - Digitalis?
亲爱的老洋地黄 洋地黄
Sounds like a sneeze.
听起来象喷嚏
Margaret! Such nice news from Mr Bast!
玛格丽特,从百斯先生那得的好消息
good! Here we all are, then.
太好了,我们都在了
Mr Bast is now with Dempster's Bank.
百斯先生现在在颠普列斯银行 这是他的消息
Thanks to you he cleared out of Porphyrion.
多谢你的提醒,他离开了普宁顿
Not a bad business, the Porphyrion.
不好的消息 关于普宁顿
I have to go to Howards End.
我要去霍华德庄园了
I would like you to come.
我希望你也去
- Not a bad business? - What about tomorrow?
不是坏消息 明天怎么样
- Tomorrow? No, I couldn't. - Why not?
明天?我不行 为什么不行
You told us the Porphyrion would smash.
你给我们说过普宁顿会在圣诞前倒闭
Did I? It was outside the tariff ring,
我有吗,那是在它没付完关税的时候
took some bad policies, but lately it came in.
它有一些不太好的制度 后来才好转了
Safe as houses now. What's wrong tomorrow?
现在它很稳定了 明天有什么问题
Aunt Juley would be so disappointed.
朱莉娅阿姨会很失望的要是我现在走
- Didn't Mr Wilcox tell us - Let's talk about it later.
威尔科克斯先生还没有告诉我们 我们一会说这个
Henry, Aunt Juley regards
亨利,朱莉娅阿姨关心这个
And now it's safe as houses and Mr Bast need never have left.
现在那十分稳定,百斯先生没必要离开的
Helen, I grieve for your clerk, but it is the battle of life.
海伦,我替你的小书记感到难过 但是人生就是这样的
A man with little money has less, owing to us.
因为我们,一个只有很少钱的人 变得钱更少了
You're not to blame, no one is.
你不应该责备,没人会
Is no one to blame for anything?
没人会责备这事
I didn't say that, you're too serious.
我没有这样说 你太认真了
There's your aunt.
你的阿姨
Helen?
海伦
- Some advice. - No more advice.
一些建议 我不需要建议
Don't take a sentimental attitude over the poor.
别老对穷人付出太多感情
See she doesn't, Margaret.
看啊,她不是,玛格丽特
The poor are poor. One is sorry, but there it is.
穷人就是穷人 就算有人会同情他们,穷人还是穷人
I'll talk to Aunt Juley about tomorrow.
我会和朱莉娅阿姨谈谈明天的事
girls! Aren't you cold?!
宝贝,你们冷吗
I'm very sorry about Mr Bast, but you must be civil to him.
对于百斯先生的事情我很抱歉 但是你应该对他礼貌点
You yourself were a witness
你 你自己也有看见的
Yes, but there may be another side to this.
是的,但是事情不是这样看的
Henry is my future husband, and I must be on his side.
亨利将是我的丈夫,我得站在他那边
Why are you so bitter, dearie?
为什么你这样痛苦,亲爱的宝贝
Mmm?
Because I'm an old maid.
因为我是个老女仆
Oh, Helen
噢,海伦
Darling.
亲爱的
Helen?
海伦
Margaret? It isn't true, surely, what Mr Wilcox is saying,
玛格丽特?那不是真的吧 威尔科克斯先生说的事情
that you want to go away tomorrow?
你们明天要走吗
We must leave tomorrow, I have business,
我们明天必须走,我有我的生意
and my business is now, unfortunately, Margaret's.
那生意现在是我的,是玛格丽特的
- That's it. - The famous office.
就是这了 很有名的办公室
I'd expected something more African.
我希望它更非洲式一点
- Heavens, no! - Spears, animal skins
天啊,不要 矛,兽皮
that sort of thing.
这类东西
This is the Imperial part of the company.
这个是公司里最显贵的部分
Yes, we still haven't settled the London house.
噢,我们还没布置好伦敦的房子
- That depends. - On what?
那要看情况而定 看什么情况
- When do you want to marry? - My head whirls, let's dance!
看你什么时候才和我结婚 我头昏了,我们跳舞吧
Charles, help with my wife!
卡里斯,帮我妻子一下
How do you do. We'll give you a good lunch after Howards End.
你还好吗,等你看了霍华德庄园之后 会有一个丰盛的午餐
I can hardly wait to see it, though I almost feel I have.
我等不及要见它 即使我感觉我已经拥有
The tenant decamped without even arranging
房客在还没收拾好的情况下便逃走了
a charwoman to clean up after him.
一个女佣在他离开后会打扫那里
- Oh, dear. - Yes.
噢,亲爱的 恩
Here's an idea - why don't we use Howards End
我有个主意.玛格丽特 我们为什么不用霍华德庄园来
to store your furniture from Wickham Place?
存放你在威克汉的家具呢
Oh, would you? Would you really?
噢,真的吗 你真的会吗
- good idea? - How kind!
是好主意吗 实在太好了
Only until we're settled, of course.
当然,得等我们都安顿好
I hope you won't be disappointed.
我希望你不会失望
It's a measly little place. Never really suited us.
这真是个低级的小地方 从来就没适合过我们
Heavens, no.
天,不要
- Oh, dear. - What?
亲爱的 什么
- I've forgotten the keys. - What?
我忘记带钥匙了 什么,我钥匙不见了
- We'll go back. - Won't you leave me here?
我们要回去一趟 我可以留在这里吗
- Sure? - Yes, I'll wait.
可以吗 恩,我会等你的
- Have some milk at the farm. - I'm so sorry.
农庄里有些牛奶 对不起
Yes.
是的
-Goodbye! - Why did you forget the key?
再见 你为什么会忘记带钥匙呢
- Sorry. - Where is it?
对不起 你放在哪儿了
It could be with Diddums.
可能在那些农舍那里
Hello?
你好
I took you for Ruth Wilcox.
我把你带去见鲁思.威尔科克斯
I like Mrs Wilcox?
我 象威尔科克斯太太
You have her way of walking
是的,你走路的方式很像
round the house.
在房子周围看看吧
Henry!
亨利
Henry!
亨利
Henry, I've found the teeth.
亨利,我找到牙齿了
- The pig's teeth. - Pigs? Where?
猪的牙齿 猪的?在哪里的
The pig's teeth in the bark. Look, just here.
猪的牙齿 在树皮里,这里,看到没
- See? Four feet up. - Hmm. Extraordinary
看见吗,四英尺高的地方 恩,真特别
Yes, you chew the bark - to cure toothache.
是的,你可以嚼一下治疗牙疼
- What a rum notion. - Surely you knew?
真古怪的方法 你应该知道这个方法
Did silly Miss Avery give you a fright?
无聊的艾弗里小姐有没有吓到你啊
None of you girls has any nerve.
那些女人都不太正常
Did you take her for a spook? She's very odd.
你有让她惊讶吗 她很奇怪的
Miss Avery has always lived there?
艾弗里小姐一直住这里吗
She grew up on the farm, like Mrs Wilcox.
是,她就像威尔科克斯太太都是在这儿长大的
Weren't they friends when Howards End was a farm?
当霍华德庄园还是个农场的时候, 她跟威尔科克斯太太是朋友吗
They do say Mrs Wilcox had a brother.
他们都说威尔科克斯太太有个兄弟 还是叔叔
He popped the question and Miss Avery said no.
不管怎样,他的问题 艾弗里小姐已经说不了
Imagine, she'd have been Charles's aunt.
如果当初她答应了 她就是卡里斯的阿姨了
That's rather good - Charlie's Aunt.
听起来不错啊 卡里斯的阿姨
I must chaff him about that.
我要用这个戏弄他
She's mad about Howards End.
她对霍华德庄园挺疯的
goodness knows what she'll do with your furniture.
天知道她会怎么对你的家具
She might fling it all out, or adopt it for Howards End.
或者她会到处乱扔,或者她会管理好
Excuse me, where might I enquire about a position?
对不起,先生,请问我应该去那儿询问职位
What position would that be?
什么职位
I heard there was one.
我听说有个空缺
Not at this time.
现在没有
I thought it was you.
我还以为不是你,你好吗
Why did you never come again?
为什么你再也没来过了
You promised. But this isn't your bank?
你答应过的 这里不是你在的银行啊
- You were with Dempster's. - (I lost it.)
你在颠普列斯工作的啊 丢了
- Sorry? - I lost the situation.
什么 我失去工作了
They cut back, and the last to join were the first to go.
他们裁员了,最后加入的就得最早走
I've been enquiring for another place here.
我想找另一个工作
The way they look, they're sure you've stolen something.
但是这样,他们看着你,觉得你是一个小偷那样
Why else are you out of work?
认为没其他原因导致你失去工作了
- It's our fault. - No.
都是我们的错 不
Me, my sister and Mr Wilcox,
是我们让你离开普宁顿 我,我姐姐和威尔科克斯先生
who is celebrating at his castle in Shropshire
他们现在正在自己家里庆祝婚礼
with a maximum of expense and ostentation. I could murder him!
让你损失那么多,还在那卖弄风头 我可以杀了他
"Murder will out, it is most foul."
谋杀是最恶劣的行径
How have you been, Miss Schlegel, any ?
你过的怎么样啊,史克丽侏小姐 有什么有趣的
He jolly well owes you a situation.
他开玩笑似的对待你的工作
What nice houses you have all over the place.
这是你拥有的最好的房子 我也喜欢这个
Mmm, Oniton grange. Waiting to get it off my hands.
恩,奥灵顿农庄正想在我手中买下它 为什么
The shooting is bad, and the fishing worse.
这个做什么,打枪打的不好,钓鱼更是糟透了
It's the wrong part of Shropshire.
不管怎样那不是一个好时代
Henry, are these all Wilcoxes?
亨利,这些都属于威尔科克斯家的吗
Heavens, no! I bought the whole place.
天啊,不,我买下了个地方什么都有
Fellow took the money and cleared off. Italy, I think.
那人拿走了钱就逃走了 我想应该是去了意大利
- Some are rather good. - They're lovely.
有一些挺好的,你觉的呢 他们很可爱
- good, isn't it? - Which one?
很不错,对吗 哪个
- Top one. - very grand, rather like you.
最高那个 十分伟大,就象你一样
So, I'll show you the cellar.
我带你去看地下室
- very damp, isn't it? - Mmm.
这里很潮湿,对吗 恩
- Do we have enough ice now? - Yes, sir.
现在我们有足够的冰吗 有的,先生
- Second order. - Yes, sir.
第二命令 好的,先生
All right?
这样就好
- This way. - Thank you.
这边 谢谢
It is difficult to decide about the children.
孩子们都不好安排啊
Here we are.
我们这里
Charles will have Howards End,
卡里斯是大儿子,将会拥有霍华德庄园
and I'm anxious not to be unjust.
但是我担心那样不公平
Of course You mean money?
当然 你的意思是钱吗 是的,是钱
- Since you put it so frankly. - We'll never get through this.
难得你这么明白 天啊,我们肯定喝不完那么多酒
- How much have you got? - What?
你可以有多少 什么
- How much, a year? I've 600. - My income?
你一年可以有多少,我有六百 收入吗
- Don't you know? - Of course.
你不知道我收入多少吗 当然知道
Don't you want to tell it me?
又或者你不想告诉我
If you divided your income into 10 parts,
这样吧,如果你将你的收入分成十份
how many parts to Charles, to Evie and to Paul?.
你会分几份给卡里斯 几份给爱薇几份给保罗呢
give away all you can. Be generous.
拿去吧.拿去分了吧 仁慈一点
Don't beat about the bush, do you?
把你的也一起分了
No.
'She'll get her hands on this place and Howards End.'
她会把这里和霍华德庄园一样收为己有
It's only her furniture there.
只有她的家具到那儿
That's the thin end of the wedge.
那不过是个开始
I don't know what's to happen to us.
我不知道我们将会面对怎样的命运
Two children to bring up.
要扶养俩个孩子
Charles, you're pleased about the baby, aren't you?
卡里斯,你很喜欢那个孩子,对吗
What? Oh, pleased as punch.
什么?十分的喜欢
Pleased as punch.
爱死他们了
It's not going to be easy.
可这不容易
The pater wants to be fair, but money isn't elastic.
父亲想要公平对待儿女,但钱不会变多
What if Evie has a family? Or the pater himself?
要是爱薇和爸爸都有了自己的家呢
- What? - Shhh.
什么 嘘
Who's there?
谁在哪儿
Saxon or Celt?
西申还是卡尔
Went like clockwork.
走的真准时
"Quite like a Durbar," Lady Edser said.
相当的隆重,爱狄纱女士说过
Ah. You did awfully well.
哈,你做的十分的好
I was very proud of you.
我为你而骄傲
Thank you.
谢谢你
It was very successful.
这很成功
- Who are those people? - Perhaps they're townspeople.
这些人是谁 大概是镇里人来看婚礼
If you'll gracefully vanish, I'll deal with them.
如果你静静的走了 我会搞定他们的
What is it? What's wrong? Is Tibby ill?.
那是什么?怎么了 迪比病了吗
They're starving!
我看他们快饿死了
- Who is? - The Basts!
谁 百斯一家
- Helen! - He's lost his place.
海伦 他没有工作了
They reduced their staff. Thanks to us he's done for!
他们裁员,因为我们他第一个被踢走 得谢谢我们,我们害了他
- Ruined! - Are you mad?
荒谬 你疯了吗
If you like. Two people starving and all this vulgar show!
只要你喜欢,两个人就会饿死 多粗俗的表现
Have you actually brought two starving people from London?
你是不是要带两个快饿死的人 在伦敦来到这里让我出丑
- There was a restaurant car. - Don't be absurd!
火车上有的是餐车 别打岔
How dare you! Yes! How dare you! Bursting into Evie's wedding!
你真大胆,是的,你太大胆了 要来捣乱爱薇的婚礼
You've a perverted notion of philanthropy.
我的天!你这种堕落的仁慈观点
Look! They think it's some scandal!
看,他们肯定觉得这是什么丑闻
I must explain it's my sister and two hangers-on
我必须要解释,那是我的妹妹 和两个快要没命的穷人
she has brought for no conceivable reason.
是她无厘头的带来的两个人
We want to see Mr Wilcox.
我们想见威尔科克斯先生
Mr Bast, this is odd. What view do you take?
百斯先生,这真是很奇怪的事情 你怎么看呢
- Mrs Bast, too. - How do you do?
这是百斯太太 你好
- How d'you do. - She's not well. She fainted.
你好 她不好,才在车上昏过去了
- Won't you sit down? - We don't wish to intrude.
我很抱歉.你为什么不坐下呢 我们不希望打搅了
You have been so kind.
你们以前都是很好的人
[All talk]
我的姐姐让你误会了
- Jacky, let's go. - No, please!
洁姬,我们走 别,请不要
Mrs Bast, please, won't you have something to eat?
海伦,拿点东西给他们吃 百斯太太,你不吃点东西吗,请
I would like to do something for them, we are responsible.
我想为他们做点什么 我们确实必须要付点责任
via Mr Wilcox.
都是因为威尔科克斯先生
If you take that attitude I'll do nothing, so choose.
如果你老这样想 我什么都不会做,你选吧
If you take them to the hotel as my guests
如果你带他们和其他客人一样去旅馆
I will speak to Henry about finding work for Mr Bast.
我会让亨利帮百斯先生找份工作
There is to be no more absurd screaming.
我不想再有什么丢脸的事情发生了
Well?.
好吗
All right. I promise.
好的,我答应你
very well. Take them to The george.
很好,带他们去吧
But Helen you have been most self-indulgent.
但是海伦 你太放纵你自己了
You have less restraint rather than more as you get older.
你越大变的越任性
Think it over, or we shan't have happy lives.
好好想想 或者我们快乐的一起生活
Let's eat some cake, shall we?
我们吃点蛋糕,好吗
Strawberries?
草莓吗
Sorry, excuse me.
不好意思,请让让
- I must get some rooms. - We'll come with you.
我得找两个房间 我们会和你一起的
- Len? - Perhaps you'd like to stay?
廉 或者你们喜欢留在这里
- All this pudding. - Mrs Bast is tired.
都是这种布丁 百斯太太累了
- I'm 'ungry. - Perhaps you should come back?
我是饿了 或者你们一会回来
- Will you be all right? - I'll be all right.
你还好吗 我很好
Ahh!
Charles?
卡里斯
Charles? Look.
卡里斯.看
- Whoever's that? - Where?
那是谁 哪里
Pink scarf.
粉红围巾那个
Charles Wilcox, how do you do?
卡里斯.威尔科克斯,你好吗
Bride or groom?
新郎还是新娘
very pleased to have made your acquaintance.
很高兴和你认识
Champagne, madam?
香槟吗?女士
Helen? What, here?
海伦?什么,在什么地方
She refused the invitation. I thought she despised weddings.
但她拒绝这次邀请 我想她轻视这个婚礼
Where is she now?
现在她在什么地方
I've bundled her off to The george.
我把她赶走了
- george Hotel?. - You shouldn't have done that.
旅馆吗 你不应该这样做啊
She has two of her protege's with her.
她有两个人保护
Ahh, yes, her protege'. Well, let them all come.
是,她要保护的人 那,让他们都来吧
No, but
不,可
Later on I would like to talk to you about them.
我迟些会跟你谈他们的事
No time like the present.
为什么不是现在
- Shall I? - Yes, if it isn't too long.
我可以吗 当然,不是太长篇的话
It's not five minutes.
不会超过5分钟
But there's a sting at the end of it,
可有件事在最后要讲
Mm-hm.
I want you to find the man some work in your office.
我想要你在办公室为这年轻人找个工作
[Laughs]
哈哈
Well
what are his qualifications?
他的学历怎么样
- He's a clerk. - Where was he before?
他是个书记 他以前在什么地方工作
Dempster's Bank.
颠普列斯银行
Dempster's. Why did he leave?
颠普列斯吗?为什么他离开了
They reduced their staff.
他们裁员
Oh. Yes, um
噢,这样啊
I'll see what I can do.
我看看我可以做些什么吧
Margaret, this cannot be taken as a precedent.
玛格丽特,这个不是说做就做的事
I can't fit in yours or Helen's protege's every day.
但我没法每天都应付你的或者海伦的人
- You understand? - Of course. Of course not.
你明白吗 当然,当然不
But he's he's rather a special case.
不过,他是一个很特殊的例子
Yes, protege's always are, aren't they?
是的,保护人是特别点,不是吗
- goodbye. - Thank you so much.
再见 十分感谢
- Thanks. - Bye!
谢谢 再见
Why, if it isn't Henry.
为什么,要不是亨利的话
[Laughs]
哈哈
Hello, Henry. Fancy seeing you 'ere.
你好,亨利 很高兴看见你在这
This is Mrs Bast, she's a little tired.
这是百斯太太. 不好意思,她有点累了
- She's drunk. - Don't you remember Jacky?
她醉了 不记得洁姬了吗
Henry, aren't you gonna say hello?
亨利,你不要说嗨吗
- Do you know Mrs B - No, I don't!
你知道百斯太 不,我不知道
- Who doesn't know Henry? - Henry?
谁不认识亨利 亨利
We've had some gay old times, haven't we, Hen'?
我们有过快乐的时光,不是吗,亨利
(Henry?!)
亨利
Henry?
亨利
- Henry? - Satisfied now?
亨利 你觉得满意了吧
I understand your interest in the Basts, and your trap for me.
我终于明白你为什么对百斯一家那么感兴趣 原来你是设圈套让我钻,祝贺你,你赢了
I release you from your engagement
我要和你解除婚约
Henry? Henry? Henry!
亨利?亨利?亨利
- Here we are. - Please don't bother, my dear.
我们到了. 没担心,亲爱的
- No, no. - I can manage.
不,不 我可以应付
I'll do that. I'll do it.
我可以的,我真的可以
- So that's it? - That is what? Thank you.
那就是了. 是什么,谢谢
You were saying?
你说什么了
No, Henry and I were arguing, but I think he has forgiven me.
没有,亨利和我刚刚吵嘴了 不过我想现在他已经原谅我了
I don't expect there's much to forgive.
我可不指望原谅
- No. - I really must be going.
别哦 好了,我真的得走了
Thank you so much for a lovely time.
我真的很快乐,十分谢谢你们
Hasn't the weather been kind?
天气还好吧
A lovely day. Thank you, my dear, very much.
很好的天气,谢谢 亲爱的,十分感谢
- Safe journey. - Bye-bye, Dolly!
一路顺风 再见,多莉,照顾自己
- Oh, I've forgotten my hat! - It's all right, it's here.
噢,我忘了我的帽子了 没关系,在这里,爸爸
Ahh, thank you, Albert. The womenfolk are all right, then?
噢,谢谢,艾伯特 女士们还好吧
Shut the doors and we're ready. Thank you, uh
关好门,我们准备好 谢谢,很
Oh. Drive on, then.
好,开吧
What's the matter, Jacky?
到底怎么回事,洁姬
It was the shock.
见到他了
Seein' 'im.
很可怕
Him? Seeing who?
他?见到谁了
I don't wanna talk about it.
我不想说了
- She ain't much. - What are you looking at?
你认为你在看什么
Len
Henry.
亨利
Henry?
亨利
Look at me.
看着我
So you were that woman's lover?
你是那女人的情人吗
To put it with your usual delicacy.
你正常点好吗
When?
什么时候
When, please?
什么时候的事情,请告诉我
Ten years ago!
十年前
I'm sorry. Ten years ago.
对不起,是十年前
Henry, dear, it's not going to trouble us.
亨利,亲爱的,那跟我们没任何关系
Yes, we fellows all fall from grace, once in our time.
是的,我们享受我们的一切
- Do you believe that? - Yes, I do.
你相信吗 我相信
With your refined pursuits and books,
在精心的设计和引诱下
what can you guess of any man's life?
你可以想象一个男人的生活会如何
His temptations Temptations.
他的引诱 引诱
But that's enough, I've spoken too much already.
这,够了. 我已经讲太多了
Yes, that's enough, dear.
是的,够了,亲爱的
It was in Cyprus. You can never forgive me, can you?
我在塞浦路斯,很寂寞,你不会原谅我,是吗
I have forgiven you.
我已经原谅你了
Well, I, uh
恩,我
I could find an excuse, but I won't.
我可以找理由开脱 可我不能
Let us speak no more about it, dear.
别讲了,亲爱的
It is all behind us.
事情都过去了
Really?
真的吗
You can bring yourself to forgive me?
你真的会原谅我吗
We've learned that I'm far from a saint.
我们都知道 我不是圣人
No, no, no, no. The reverse.
不,不,不,不,相反
Where are those people now?
这些人在那里了
Helen has taken them to The george.
海伦带他们去旅馆了
Let them leave first thing.
噢.让他们早上就立刻离开吧
There must be no gossip.
那样不会有闲话
Anyway, Helen should be here with us,
还有,海伦得和我们在一起
not at a hotel with some rag-tags.
不能和这些人在旅馆里
Tell you what, you write a note to that effect.
告诉你为什么,你给她写个便条吧
I'll have Burton send it over.
我会让佰顿直接送过去的
Burton!
佰顿
BURTON!
佰顿
Yes, sir?
是,先生
Take a note to The george straightaway.
我想让你把这张纸送到旅馆
- Yes, sir. - Far too much noise out there.
好的,先生 那很远很吵
"I'm sorry to tell you Henry can do nothing for Mr Bast.
我很抱歉的告诉你,亨利无法帮百斯先生了
"He feels the Basts are not the type we should trouble about.
他认为我们不值得为百斯一家找麻烦
"We found the woman drunk on the lawn.
我们看见那女人喝醉在草地上
"Please see they leave, and come here yourself."
请盯着他们一早离开,你再自己回来
He made her write it. This isn't Margaret.
是他让她写的 那不是玛格丽特
Would you put it in the fire?
你可以把它烧了吗
Don't get mixed up in this, Miss Schlegel.
你别混进这事里了 史克丽侏小姐
Mixed up in what?
混进来这事
What is it? You must trust me that far.
什么意思 你至少要相信我
Mr Wilcox met Jacky before.
威尔科克斯太太以前见过洁姬的
Out in Cyprus, when she was 16.
在塞蒲路斯,那时候她才16岁
Told you you didn't want to hear.
我告诉你不会想听的
go on. Why was she in Cyprus?
继续,为什么她在塞蒲路斯
Her father was an export business clerk.
她父亲是外贸生意的书记
After her mother died she went with him, then he died,
她母亲死后,她得去和他一起生活 后来他死了
accidentally drowned, because he couldn't swim.
意外溺毙 因为他不会游泳
Jacky was left to fend for herself,
洁姬无法自己养活自己
till she managed to get back home.
直到她回家前
I didn't have to marry her, but I did.
我不需要和她结婚 但是我和她结婚了
My family tried to stop me, but I married her all the same.
我家人试图阻止我 可我还是和她结了婚
Because I promised.
因为我发过誓
Where would she be after the Mr Wilcoxes had finished with her?
要不是我,威尔科克斯先生和她分手后 她还可以去什么地方呢
It would never never enter that man's mind
就算是一千年也好也会有人在心里 永远永远的不觉得他自己
that he'd done anything wrong.
有犯任何的错误
Because there's nothing here, and nothing here.
因为那里什么都没有 什么都没有
You're the opposite, you believe in personal responsibility.
你是相反的,你相信人与人之间的尊重
- In personal everything. - very nice.
以及一切. 很好
What good am I to Jacky, marrying her to pull her down,
我和洁姬结婚有什么好呢 只会拖累她
so we can starve together?
因此我们一起饿死吗
You'll find another position, surely?
你会找他其他工作的,肯定
You don't know.
你不了解
If rich people fail at one profession they try another.
有钱人如果他失败了 他有机会再来
With us, once a man over 20 loses his job, he's done for.
而我们,当一个超过20的男人丢了工作 他就完了
I'd do anything to help you.
我会尽我所能去帮你
Help me row, then. I'm tired.
帮我划吧,去累了
You're the one person who ever has helped me.
你是唯一帮助过我的人
By passing on false information to make you give up your job?
是说因为给你错误消息而让你失去工作吗
By being the person you are.
我是说像你这样的人
I didn't think people like you existed, except in books.
除了书里没人像你这样了
- And books aren't real. - No, they're more real.
书说的不是真的. 不,他们再真不过了
When people fail there's still music and meaning.
当别人舍弃你 那还有,音乐与思想
That's for rich people to make them feel good after dinner.
那是有钱人酒足饭饱后的消遣
Everything's got spoiled for you, hasn't it?
每件事对你都糟糕透了,不是吗
I don't know what's to be done, or to say to Meg.
我不知道怎么做,或者怎么对玛格丽特说
I don't want to face her.
我不想见到她,不想回威灵顿
You mean, because of Mr Wilcox,
你的意思是,因为威尔科克斯先生吗
and the woman you say he seduced in Cyprus?
还有你说的他在塞浦路斯骗女人
give Meg my love, and tell her I'm going away to germany,
我想你帮我照顾玛格丽特 还有告诉她,我要去德国
to Munich, or else Bonn.
去幕尼黑还是波恩
Such a message is easily given.
很容易用纸条通知的
I wish I could escape Meg's wedding too.
天,我也希望可以不参加玛格丽特的婚礼
How is it possible for OUR Meg to be a Wilcox?
玛格丽特成了威尔科克斯家人将会怎么样呢
- After all this?! - You'd better go to germany.
那在这之后 你最好去德国
There's the apple charlotte. I'll take it, or it spoils.
这是苹果水果布丁. 我可以拿吗? 它很棒
Ah, Martlett.
啊,马里特
- Shall I clear, sir? - Not now, later.
我要现在清理吗,先生 不是现在.等会儿
Thank you, sir.
谢谢你,先生
I feel No, I know, we owe the Basts some compensation.
我觉得 不,我知道 我们欠百斯一些东西
- Those people again? - Yes, those people.
又是这些人吗 是,又是这些人
Who pays if I don't?
我如果不付还会有谁会
I'm placing an amount in your account.
我放了些钱在你户头了里
When I'm in germany pay it to the Basts for me.
我在德国时, 你帮我给点钱给百斯
I shall never forget your kindness, Tibbykins.
我永远也不会忘记你的好处
- What's the sum? - 5,000.
共多少 五千
good god!
It's useless giving out driblets of charity.
一点点的施舍是没用的
No doubt people will think me mad.
我才不管别人怎么想
I don't give a damn what people think,
我也不介意别人怎么想
but I mind you ruining yourself for some quixotic reason.
可我介意你因为你这些不切实际 的原因把自己毁了
I didn't expect you to understand.
我没质问你会明白我
- I understand nobody. - But you'll do it?
我谁都不明白 可你会吗
Apparently.
显然会
You writing to your brother? He could send ten.
你写信给你兄弟吗 他可以把把剩下的十英镑寄来
- And a long lecture. - Your sister could afford five.
还有长篇的教训 你的姐妹可以提供五英镑
Leave me alone!
让我一个人静静
Why are you taking it out on me?
为什么把它从我这里拿走
You can see I'm busy, can't you?
你见到我很忙的,不是吗
"Dear Mr Schlegel,
亲爱的史克丽侏先生
"I acknowledge receipt of your letter, dated 2nd October,
十分高兴收到你的来信,十月二号
"enclosing a cheque for $5,000.
还有寄来的五千英镑的支票
"I am grateful for your concern,
感谢你对我的担心
"but have the honour to return your cheque herewith.
同时我必须把这张支票还你
"Yours sincerely, Leonard Bast."
敬启,廉纳德.百斯
Excuse me, sir. Sorry to bother you.
对不起,先生 不好意思打搅你
I worked in this office for four years. Are there any vacancies?
我在这工作了4年 现在这里有空缺吗
No, I'm sorry, I've nothing.
不, 对不起,没有
- Nothing at all. - Nothing at this time.
没事 现在没有
The servants will have the central heating
仆人们将可以享受中央暖气
if we keep them here instead of the back.
要是我们让他们留下而不是待在屋子后面的话
That's what the architect proposed.
建筑师是这样提议的
- If only it would hurry up. - All in good time.
如果他可以很快建起来的话 都很不错
- I'm tired of London. - Are you?
我在伦敦觉得好累 你呢
I can't be as young as I was.
我不再年轻了
I'm happy without the new plays and discussion societies
我很乐意只要不谈新戏和社会舆论
Mr Shaw, Mr Wells and all your utopias.
肖先生,韦尔斯先生 还有所有其他的乌托邦主义的人
What I miss are trees and mountains and meadows.
我怀念那些树,草地,牧场
Yes.
是的
I also miss my own things.
我也很想我的那些东西
They're safe enough at Howards End.
他们在霍华德庄园很安全
And I'm grateful, but I would like to see
我很高兴它们在那,可我想在家里见到它们
everything in our own home - my share, at least.
所有的东西都在我们自己的家里 我们最后分享
goodness knows what Tibby will do with his.
天知道迪比打算做什么
Oh, Helen.
或者海伦
There's been another postcard from her.
这里还有她寄的另一张明信片
The same poste restante address in Bavaria,
一样的邮件地址在巴伐利亚
but now she's going to Italy.
但现在她说去意大利
Is she never coming back?
她不会再回到英国了吗
She's been away now how long has it been?
她现在不在多长时间了
Four months and three weeks on Tuesday.
到星期二就有四个月又三个礼拜了
Your sister is odd, she always has been.
你妹妹很奇怪的,她老是这样 没人可以摆脱她
What is this?
那是什么
What have you been reading now? Theo
你在读什么
- Theosophy. - Oh, yes.
见神论 啊,是的
Madame Blavatsky.
布拉瓦茨基夫人
What a clever little woman it is.
多聪明的小女人
That's what I mean about Helen -
这就是我想象中的海伦
she reads, and her mind gets addled.
她读了这些东西,脑袋变坏了
My Margaret keeps her facts straight.
我的玛格丽特则保持正直
What facts are those, dear?
这些是什么,亲爱的
Hmm? Men, women, that sort of thing. Who is who, what is what.
恩?男人和女人的那种事情 谁是谁,什么是什么
Yes, and what is that?
是,什么是什么
Mr Schlegel, sir?! You've forgotten this.
玛格丽特先生,先生, 你忘了这个
- Thank you, Martlett. - Thank you, sir.
谢谢,马特 不客气,先生
Ahh.
Oh, dear, Annie. Look, it's another one.
噢,亲爱的安妮 看,这是另一个
But no letter.
但是没有信
See, I just can't feel Helen's really alive.
看,我已经感觉不到海伦还活着了
These postcards don't seem to have come from her.
这些明信片和电报好像不是她发的
- That's not her. - I know what you mean.
那不是她 我知道你的意思
You'll break that if you keep fiddling.
你会弄坏的如果你老在瞎搞
- Then put it on. - Oh!
放它下来 哈
"M.J. Schlegel, The Rise, Stoke Fleming, Devon.
M.J.玛格丽特 开始,正直的法兰德斯人,德文郡.
"Dearest Meg, arriving London Thursday.
亲爱的玛格丽特 周四回到伦敦
"Telegraph, care my bank, whether Aunt Juley is better.
电报,照顾她的银行 不论朱莉娅阿姨的情况变好还是变坏
"give my love to the invalid and keep some yourselves. Helen."
把我的爱给病人,还要留点给你自己 海伦
If only you had a companion to walk with.
如果只有你有同伴陪着
I have Tibby, dear Aunt Juley.
我有迪比,有朱莉娅阿姨
And it won't long, thank you, Maggie, before you'll be up.
那不会错的,谢谢 玛格丽特,在你起来前
(When is Helen coming?)
海伦什么时候回来
very soon, she will already have reached London.
很快,她快到伦敦
- (She's got to London.) - (But?)
她去伦敦 但是
(She says to telegraph if Aunt Juley is better.)
她在电报上提到如果朱莉娅阿姨好些的话
(We must telegraph she isn't.)
我们得打电报告诉她她不是
- (We can't start lying!) - Shhh.
我们没法开始骗对方 嘘,海伦不会
(She couldn't stay away.)
她不该在这时停留
"Dearest Helen, Aunt Juley better and expecting you,
亲爱的海伦,朱莉娅阿姨好点了 她很盼望可以见到你
"as am I. Your Meg."
我也是一样,你的玛格丽特
"Must return germany.
必须回德国一次
"Telegraph bank whereabouts of books and furniture. Helen."
电报只是想知道家具和书的地方,海伦
- Why did she have to go back? - I'll explain after your nap.
为什么她要回德国 我会在你小休之后告诉你
She might have come to see her old aunt.
她可能会来见她年迈的阿姨
Is Cook doing the mackerel the way Tibby likes?
鲭是不是做成迪比喜欢的那样
I know his whole day is spoilt if his breakfast isn't right.
我知道如果早餐不合胃口 他一整天都会不对劲,不是吗
The mackerel were perfect, Tibby mentioned them.
鲭很可口,迪比在早上有提起
It's still that business over Henry and that woman, Mrs Bast?
别跟我还是在说亨利和那个女人的事,百斯先生
goodness me how morbid.
天啊!那多可怕
His wife forgives him and his sister-in-law cannot.
他妻子原谅了他,他的小姨却没法原谅
I don't believe it,
我无法相信
not even of Helen.
海伦也是
We all know her extremes.
我们都知道她的怪脾气
We've all suffered under her temperament.
我们都得忍受她的任性
This is different, this is not temperament but a madness,
这个是不同的,那不是任性,是疯狂
as if she were mad.
就好象她真的得了精神病那样
Margaret, you've got black marks again under your eyes.
玛格丽特,你的黑眼圈有出来了
You know that's strictly forbidden.
你知道我不允许这样的情况出现
My girl looking as old as her husband.
我的爱人不可以和她老公一样老
- You haven't seen our point. - I don't suppose I shall.
你还是不明白我们的话 我想我应该不明白
Our sister may be mad.
我们的姐姐可能疯了
Charles, do come in. We are again in trouble.
卡里斯,进来 我们又有麻烦了
- Can you help us at all?. - No, I cannot.
你可以帮我们吗 不,我怕不行
What were the facts? We're all mad these days.
有什么问题 这些天我们都疯了
Our sister is in England and won't see us.
事实上我们的姐姐在英国但却不见我们
She's forbidden the bank to give us her address.
她禁止银行的人把地址给我们
All we have are these telegrams.
我们只有这些电报
You want to get hold of her?
你想把她找出来吗
Well yes.
那 好
It's easy, she wants her books?
那很简单,她想要她的书,是吗
Send her to Howards End. When she's there you stroll in.
把她喊到霍华德庄园 当她在那里时,你也去
If nothing's wrong, so much the better.
要是没出什么错的话,那不是很好吗
The motor will be round the corner.
但记住车子将在那边转角
We can run her up to London.
只要我们按计划,一定可以找到她的
- That's impossible. - Why?
但那是不可能的 为什么不可能
Because Helen and I, we don't speak that particular language,
因为海伦和我 我们不会打什么暗语
if you see my meaning.
如果你了解
Because you have scruples. I understand perfectly.
是的,那是因为你有顾忌. 没关系,我了解
I'm as scrupulous as any man alive, I hope.
我希望我和其他人一样小心谨慎
But when it is a case of madness
但是好象这样的情况,这样的疯子
I deny it's madness.
我不同意说她是疯子
- You said yourself. - It's madness when I say.
是你自己说的 我说的是疯狂
Pater, may as well keep Howards End out.
爸爸,我们可能得把霍华德庄园排除
Why?
为什么
The house is at sixes and sevens, we don't want more mess.
那里已经乱七八糟了 我们都不想那更糟糕了
And who is "we"?
还有谁是我们
Pray, Charles, who is "we"?
卡里斯,请告诉我谁是我们
Beg your pardon, I'm sure.
请原谅,对不起
I seem always to be intruding.
我看起来是老打扰别人的
No, Charles. Charles?
不,卡里斯,卡里斯
Let's send a telegram.
让我们发份电报
Come along, let's do it.
来,我们开始吧
I really can't have this behaviour.
我真的不能容忍这样的行为
- What? - Margaret.
什么 玛格丽特
She's too sweet-natured to mind, but I mind for her.
她心地善良不会介意,但是我会替她介意
"All your books now at Howards End.
你所有的书都在霍华德庄园
"Miss Avery will let you in 3pm, Monday. Meg."
艾弗里小姐在礼拜一下午3点会让你进去 玛格丽特
Our main object is not to frighten Miss Schlegel.
我们的主要任务是不惊吓到史克丽侏小姐 明白吗
Trouble seems nervous, wouldn't you say so, Margaret?
所有的问题都是因为紧张 你同意吗?玛格丽特
Would you say she was normal?.
你说她很正常吗
Well, she's always been highly strung.
她总是很神经质
Musical, literary, artistic, but quite normal.
音乐,文学,艺术都很平常
Quite a charming girl.
很迷人的女孩
Would you say there was anything congenital?.
你是说那是天生的吗
No No.
不 不
- Anything hereditary? - No.
难道有遗传的 不
- Margaret? - Yes, Henry, just wait here.
玛格丽特 恩,亨利,请在这里等着
Oh, darling! Quickly, just get inside, please, just quickly.
噢,亲爱的,快,快进去,来,快进去
Miss Schlegel is managing.
史克丽侏小姐正在处理
You can go back to the motor.
你可以回到车里去
Margaret?
玛格丽特
Henry, I shall need your advice, but must be alone with Helen.
我迟些需要你的建议 但现在我得和海伦单独待在一起
- You're certain? - Please, my dear Henry.
你确定吗 恩,我亲爱的亨利
- Yes. - Thank you.
好吧 谢谢你
- Why all our furniture? - There's been a mistake.
为什么我们的家具都在这 是误会了
How well the carpet fits.
地毯刚修好的
I'll be sending milk and we should be ordering coals.
我会去送牛奶, 然后我们还会准备点木炭
You're very kind, but we're not going to live at Howards End.
我想一定是误会了 你真好,可我们暂时不会住在霍华德庄园
I think she may be a little touched.
我想她可能有点生气了
I'm sorry, Helen. I ought not to have
对不起,海伦 我不应该
No, you ought not to.
不,你应该的
- We thought you were ill. - I'm not, but I'm expecting.
我们都以为你病了 我没有,不过我希望我有
Is the coast clear? I must leave.
外面清理了吗 我要走了
I'm going back to germany.
我要回德国去
give my love to Tibby.
对迪比说我爱他
- Let me - Don't.
让我来 不
Curious, that our carpet fits.
当心点,地毯修理过的
Yes, the sword looks right too.
是的,那剑看起来不错
Yes, doesn't it.
是的,不是吗
Someone's polished it.
有人常常擦吧
I'll carry this.
我会带上这个
If you didn't want to tell me, I understand
如果你不想告诉我,我理解的
I had to be by myself, that's why I hid.
我必须做我自己 这就是我为什么要去德国
What about Tibby?
迪比呢
No, I alone must be responsible for myself and this child.
不,我单身一人必须对我自己和这个孩子负责
And I want to be. Of course, Leonard doesn't know.
还有是我自己想去,当然,廉并不知道
Leonard
Leonard Bast?
廉纳德.百斯吗
Yes.
是的
Oh, Meg, did you ever hear from him again?
噢,玛格丽特,你还有再听到他的消息吗
I've no idea what he's doing now,
我也不知道了,他现在在做什么呢
or what's happened to either of them.
或者,他们都碰到了什么事情
Dolly.
多莉
Hello.
你好
My dear, I must ask you,
亲爱的,我必须问你
was your sister wearing a wedding ring?
你的妹妹结婚了吗
No.
- What? - No.
什么 没
I came to ask a favour about Howards End.
我来只是想问有关霍华德庄园的事
One point at a time. Sit down.
现在正是时候,坐下吧
- Margaret. - Mmm?
玛格丽特 怎么
I must now ask you the name of the seducer.
我现在要问你是谁对她干的那事
The slightest hint would help us.
一点点的提示也会对我们有帮助的
"Us"? Who is "Us"?
我们?谁是我们
I thought it best to bring Charles.
我想最好通知卡里斯
That was unnecessary.
那没有必要
Charles and I wish to act in your sister's best interests.
卡里斯和我都希望能好好招待你妹妹
It's not too late to clear her name.
现在澄清还来得及
What, are we to make her seducer marry her?
什么?难道我们让那骗子和她结婚吗
Suppose he was married already? One has heard of such cases.
但是,亨利要是他是已婚的呢 那是很有可能的
Then he must pay heavily for his misconduct, mustn't he?
那他必须为这个付出沉重的代价,不是吗
Stay calm.
冷静点
I want to talk to you.
我想和你谈谈
Listen to me. Margaret!
听我说,玛格丽特
Come here.
来这里
Look at me.
看着我
What's the matter?
什么事
- May I ask you my question? - Certainly.
我可以问你个问题吗 当然了
Tomorrow Helen goes to germany I'm fine.
明天海伦要去德国了 我很好
Tonight, with your permission,
今晚,要是你不反对
she would like to sleep at Howards End.
她想住在霍华德庄园
Heaven But why at Howards End, I don't understand?
天 为什么在霍华德庄园,我不明白
It is odd, but women in her state
是很奇怪,但是你知道,女人在她那样的情况
I could understand if it were her home,
我可以理解,要是那是她家的话
associations, but Helen has no associations with Howards End.
但是,海伦和霍华德庄园没关联
I don't see why, she'll only catch cold.
我不知道为什么 她只是感冒了
Call it fancy but she wants to.
那真奇特 但是她想要那样
If she stays one night she'll want to stay two.
要是她住了一个晚上,她就会想继续下去
- Would that matter? - Of course!
那样有问题吗 当然
We will only stay one night. I shall stay with her
我们只在这里留一个晚上 我应该留下来陪他
I want you here to meet Charles.
我想让你见见卡里斯
Charles?
跟卡里斯什么关系
As the future owner it concerns Charles.
卡里斯是霍华德庄园未来的主人
In what way? Please, answer me.
凭什么?请你回答我
You're forgetting yourself
你忘记了你自己
Would Helen's condition depreciate the property?
多莉和仆人 海伦不管怎么样都是我妹妹
Margaret?
玛格丽特
Margaret.
玛格丽特
I shall do what I can for your sister,
我应该尽力去帮你妹妹
but I cannot treat it as if nothing had happened.
但是我不能当没事发生
Tomorrow she goes to germany and will trouble society no longer.
明天她就会去德国了,不会再影响到任何人
Tonight she asks to sleep in your empty house.
她只是今天晚上希望住在你那空房子里
May she? Will you give my sister leave?
她可以吗,你要让我的妹妹走吗
Will you forgive her ?
你可以原谅她吗
As you yourself have been forgiven?
象你,你自己的情况 难道忘记了吗
- As I myself - Please answer my question.
象我一直 请回答我的问题
Your sister can sleep at the hotel.
你的妹妹可以在旅馆里住
I have the memory of my wife to consider.
我不会忘记考虑我的妻子和我的孩子
You have mentioned Mrs Wilcox.
你提及威尔科克斯太太
In reply, may I mention Mrs Bast?
作为回报,我可以提及百斯太太吗
You have not been yourself.
你不可理喻
Henry, you had a mistress, I forgave you.
亨利,你有个情人,我原谅了你
My sister has a lover, you drive her out!
我妹妹有了情人,你要赶她走
Why can you not once say, "What Helen has done, I have done"?
你为什么不问问你自己 海伦做了什么,我做了什么
I do not give your sister leave to sleep at Howards End.
我重覆我说过的话 我不会让你妹妹睡在霍华德庄园
Now, do you understand?!
现在,你明白了吗
If a man played about with my sister
要是一个男人玩弄我的妹妹
I'd send a bullet through him,
我会送他一颗子弹
but you're sunk too deep in books and rubbish
可你太沉迷于书中了,还有那些垃圾
to mind what happens to your sister.
在乎下发生在你姐姐身上发生的事
As a matter of fact I mind very much,
事实上,我很在乎
but I have a different way of expressing it.
但是我会用其他的方式去表达
And different manners.
不一样的方法
By Jove, I'm glad of my way!
感谢神,我对自己所做的很满意
If this is what they teach you here.
如果这就是他们所教的话 那我很庆幸我父母没让我去上大学
You must know something of your sister's life?
看,你得对你姐姐的生活有所了解
- Do you know of anyone? - No.
你理解她们中的哪一个呢 不
Whom do you suspect?
你怀疑是谁做的
Did she mention anyone by name?
她有提及谁的名字吗
Come on, you're hiding something. Speak up.
来,告诉我,你一定在隐藏一些事情 大声的说出来
She mentioned some friend, Leonard Bast.
她有提及她的一些朋友,廉纳德.百斯
Leonard Bast, eh?
廉纳德.百斯
Leonard Bast.
廉纳德.百斯
Do you know him?
你知道他吗
Have you had any dealings with him?
你和他有过什么来往吗
What a family. What a family! god help the poor pater.
这种家庭.这种家庭 老天帮帮我可怜的父亲吧
god help my poor sisters.
老天是不是也帮帮我可怜的姐妹
Excuse me. Excuse me!
请问,请问
- Wait. - Ma'am.
等等
Excuse me, I was looking for Miss Schlegel.
不好意思,我想找史克丽侏小姐 你是谁
Leonard Bast. Is Miss Schlegel in?
廉纳德.百斯 史克丽侏小姐在吗
- Or Mrs Wilcox? - They're at Howards End.
或者威尔科克斯太太在吗 他们是在霍华德庄园
Where would that be, now?
那在什么地方
At Hilton, near Hilton Junction.
在希灵顿,应该说在希灵顿附近
Are you all right?
你还好吧
- Let me get you a drink. - No, thank you.
我给你杯水吧 不,谢谢你
Please take them, ma'am
收下这些吧,女士
Come on! Off you go!
来!你别走
I don't want you to conclude my wife and I have had a quarrel.
我不想你作出我和我妻子翻脸的结论
She is overwrought, as who would not be?
她有点紧张过度了,尽管她自己并不想那样
Naturally.
自然
The question in my mind is something greater.
问题是,我的脑子里想起了一个更遥远的问题
- The rights of property itself. - Absolutely.
就是财产的所属 肯定的
The house is mine and will be yours.
这个房子现在是我的,以后将是你的,卡里斯
When I say I don't want anyone living in Howards End,
当我说我不想其他人住在霍华德庄园
I mean no one.
我的意思没人住在霍华德庄园
I take it tomorrow morning I may go up?
那明天早上我开车送走吗
Mmm Yes, say that you're acting as my representative,
恩 对,你就说你是代表着我的
and they must clear out at once.
他们必须一次性离开
I've kept you up far too late.
你去休息吧,我让你陪我很长时间了
Can I do anything for you, sir?
我可以为你做点什么吗,爸爸
Hmm? No, nothing. Thank you, my boy.
恩?不,没事 谢谢你,儿子
- good night. - Night, sir.
晚安 晚安,爸爸
It's only the trains.
那只是火车
Len? You got that pain again, Len?
廉,你又开始心痛了吗?廉
- You're all dressed. - Just going out.
你都已经穿好了衣服了 我准备出去了
What-ho, Len.
噢,廉
What-ho, Jacky. See you again later.
噢,洁姬 晚上见
'Did you see the dawn? Was it wonderful?.'
你看到黎明了吗?漂亮不
'No. It was only grey.'
不,那不过是灰白的
Excuse me, could you direct me to Howards End?
请问,你可以告诉我怎么去霍华德庄园吗
Howards End.
霍华德庄园
Thank you very much, Charles.
谢谢,卡里斯
There are two boxes of books in
那里有两箱书在
Miss Schlegel, Mrs Wilcox, you will have forgotten me.
史克丽侏小姐,威尔科克斯太太 你还记得我吗
No, Mr Bast, I have not.
不,百斯先生,我没有
I only want to know where Helen is.
我只想知道你妹妹在什么地方
Who is it? - Helen?
是谁 海伦
Leonard!
廉纳德
So this is Leonard Bast.
这就是廉纳德.百斯
This is for insulting Woman.
这样是为被你伤害的女人的
get me a stick, Margaret.
给我根棍子,玛格丽特
Charles! We are capable of
卡里斯!我们自己有能力应付
What on earth! - get back!
你在做什么退后
Stand up!
站起来
- Stand up! - Stop it, Charles!
站起来 别,卡里斯
So he was in the last stages of heart disease?
恩,你的意见是他是死于心脏病了
It would not be professional to say before an autopsy,
那是验尸之前的判断
but in private that could be my diagnosis.
不过这是我私人的判断
Obviously, because the moment
明显地,因为那时候
I touched him with the sword he simply crumpled.
我只是用剑碰到他,他就马上倒下了
What sword would that have been?
那对不起,先生,把剑在什么地方
Um, well, it's inside.
恩,那就在里面
You better follow me.
你跟我来吧
It's their father's old german sword.
这是他们父亲旧的德式剑
I only touched him with the flat.
我只是用钝的那边碰到他
- Just once? - Yes, once. Perhaps twice.
就一下吗 是的,一下,或者是两下
I presume you will be staying, Mr Wilcox?
我希望你会留在希灵顿,威尔科克斯先生
Ahh, yes. I'll be available as long as necessary.
啊,好的,好的,如果需要,我会随时候宣的
And Mr Charles Wilcox, we shall be requesting
而卡里斯.威尔科克斯先生 我们需要你
your presence at the inquest, sir.
出席接受审讯
Yes, I did expect I shall be the most important witness.
是的, 我期待着坐为最重要的目击证人
Margaret?
玛格丽特
- I was going to give you these. - I've something to tell you.
噢,太好了亨利,我正是来给你这些的 我有些话要和你说
I don't need to hear, I'm leaving you.
没关系了,我什么都不想听 我要离开你
- My life is with Helen now. - Yes
我就和海伦一起生活 是的
I'm extremely tired. Um, come and sit down for a moment.
我累透了 恩,过来这里坐一会
We'll have to sit on the grass.
我们就坐在草地上吧
Yes.
好的
Here are your keys. We shall stay at the farm till we leave.
这是你的钥匙 我们会和艾弗里小姐住在农庄直到我们离开
Yes Where are you going?
恩 你们将去什么地方呢
To germany, as soon as possible after the inquest.
去德国,审讯一结束就去
- After the inquest. - If Helen is well enough.
审讯结束后 要是海伦还好的话
You realise the verdict?
你觉得最后的判决会是怎样
Yes. Heart disease.
恩,心脏病
No, manslaughter.
不,是杀人罪
If not worse.
如果不糟
Charles may go to prison.
卡里斯可能要进监狱
I dare not tell him.
我不敢告诉他
I don't know what to do.
我不知道怎么做
I don't know what to
我不知道怎么做
I'm sorry.
对不起
Is this going to suit everyone?
那样对大家都好吗
I don't want you coming later complaining I'm unfair. Paul?.
我不想你以后来抱怨我不公平.保罗
Apparently it's got to suit us.
很明显的,那适合我们
Speak, and I'll leave the house to you entirely.
说吧,我会离开这里,这个房子会完全属于你
Since I'm at the business all week,
我现在个个星期都很忙
I'll find something better suited.
我想我会找到更合适的
This place is not the country, and it's certainly not the town.
这个地方不是大城市 当然,也不算是一个镇
Does my arrangement suit you, Evie?
我的安排你满意吗,爱薇
- Of course, Father. - good. Dolly?
当然,爸爸 好,多莉呢
Charles wanted it, but last time I saw him he said no,
我以为卡里斯会想留给孩子们 但是上次我去看他他说不
because we can't live in this part of England again.
因为我们大概不能再留在英国了
Charles says we ought to change our name,
卡里斯说我们最好把名字也换了
but I can't think what to. Wilcox suits Charles and me.
但是我想不出来换成什么 威尔科克斯正适合卡里斯和我
I can't think of any other name.
我实在想不到其他的名字
Yes.
是的
Then I leave Howards End to my wife, absolutely.
恩,我绝对要把霍华德庄园留给我妻子
Let everyone understand that,
让所有人都明白这点
and after I am dead let there be no jealousy or surprise.
那当我死后,就没有那么多的财产纠纷了
I leave my wife no money, that is her wish.
我将不会留给我妻子任何金钱 那是她的想法
All my other assets are to be divided among you.
我的其他财产将会分给你们
Howards End she intends to leave to her nephew.
这个房子,霍华德庄园,她打算以后留给他的侄子
Mrs Wilcox wanted Margaret to have Howards End
真奇怪啊,威尔科克斯太太希望 玛格丽特拥有霍华德庄园
- Shh! - (And she gets it after all.)
嘘 她已经完全拥有这里了
- Dolly. - Have I put my foot in it?
多莉 我有把我的鞋子放在这里吗
Hmm? Ha.
恩?哈
Come on, let's get out of the way, Tom. Tom?
来,让我们走出去,汤姆,汤姆
Take baby's hand.
拉着孩子的手
It's a sweet child. Rather like Diddums at that age.
真是个可爱的小孩 真象他小时候的样子
Come along, Dolly.
过来,多莉
Safe journey.
一路顺风
Look who's there, look!
看谁在那!看
What did Dolly mean about Howards End?
多莉说的霍华德庄园是什么意思
Hmm? My poor Ruth, during her last days,
恩? 我可怜的鲁思在最后的日子里
scribbled your name on a piece of paper.
把你的名字写在一张纸上
Knowing her not to be herself I set it aside.
我知道她已经有点神志不清 所以我没在意她写的东西
Didn't do wrong, did I?
我没做错什么吧,我有吗
They're off.
他们走了
Bye. Bye.
再见,再见
“霍华德庄园” -=结束=-