抛开自我空间 Wit

上映日期: 2,001

语言: 英语

影片类型: 剧情

导演: 迈克·尼科尔斯

演员: 艾玛·汤普森 / 克里斯托弗·洛伊德 / 艾琳·阿特金斯 / 奥德拉·麦克唐纳 / 乔纳森·M·伍德沃德 / 哈罗德·品特


台词
主演:艾玛汤普逊
片名:心灵病房
You have cancer.
你得了癌症
Miss Bearing, you have advanced metastatic ovarian cancer.
贝宁小姐 你罹患了中末期移转性卵巢癌
Go on.
继续
You are a professor, Miss Bearing.
你是教授吧,贝宁小姐
Like yourself, Dr. Kelekian.
和你一样,柯医生
with a growth that unfortunately went undetected in stages one, two, and three.
很不幸的 第一、二、三期都未能发现到
Now it is an insidious adenocarcinoma...
它是属于潜藏性的癌症
Insidious?
潜藏性?
Insidious means undetectable at an early stage--
潜藏性就是早期很难发现到
Insidious means treacherous.
潜藏性也是阴险的意思
Shall I continue?
可以继续吗
By all means.
当然
Good.
很好
In invasive epithelial carcinoma,
对于这类的表皮细胞癌症
the most effective treatment modality is a chemotherapeutic agent.
最有效的就是化学药剂治疗
We are developing an experimental combination
我们针对这类本身 为发病源的卵巢癌
of drugs designed for primary-site ovarian,
研发了实验性综合药剂
for the target specificity of stage three and beyond administration.
以利第三期或之后的病源掌握
Am I going too fast?
我会说太快吗
No.
不会 很好
You will be hospitalized as an in-patient for treatment each cycle.
你将会被安排住院 接受每个疗程
After the initial eight cycles, you will have another battery of tests.
经过最初的八个疗程后 还需要接受一连串的测试
The antineoplastic will inevitably affect some healthy cells,
这些抗癌药物难免会 波及到正常的细胞
including those lining the gastrointestinal tract from the lips to the anus and the hair follicles.
包括肠胃器官、嘴巴到肛门 以及头发毛囊
We will, of course, be relying on your resolve to withstand some of the more pernicious side-effects.
当然主要还是要取决于 你对副作用的承受力
Miss Bearing?
贝宁小姐
Oh. I beg your pardon.
对不起
Do you have any questions so far? Please go on.
- 到目前为止有疑问吗 - 请继续
Perhaps some of these terms are new... No, no. You're being very thorough.
- 或许其中有些字 对你来说比较陌生... 不,不会 你说的很详尽
I make a point of it. And I always emphasize it with my students.
我很重视这点 也总是跟我学生再三地强调
Oh, so do I. Thoroughness. I always tell my students,
我也是,精确详尽 我总是这样要求我学生
but, they are constitutionally averse to painstaking work.
他们却很讨厌繁琐复杂的事
Yours, too? Oh, it's worse every year.
- 你学生也是这样吗 - 一年比一年还糟
Mine are blind. Oh, well, mine are deaf.
- 我学生就像瞎子一样 - 我的则好像聋子
You just have to hope. Mm-hmm. I suppose so.
- 你也只能奢望了 - 我想也是
Where were we, Dr. Bearing?
我们说到哪儿了,贝宁小姐
I believe I was being thoroughly diagnosed.
我被精确又详尽地诊断过
Right.
没错
Now, the tumor is spreading very quickly.
现在癌细胞扩散得很快
And this treatment is very aggressive.
而且这些疗程药效也很强
So far, so good? Yes.
- 目前为止还好吗? - 是的
Better not teach next semester. Out of the question.
- 下学期最好别教书了 - 不可能的
The first week of each cycle, you'll be hospitalized for chemotherapy.
每个疗程的第一个星期 你会被安排住院接受化疗
The next week, you may feel a little tired. Eight months like that.
第二个星期 你可能会感到有些疲惫
This treatment is the strongest thing we have to offer you.
这个疗程是最强烈的
And as research, it'll make a significant contribution to our knowledge.
它也是个研究 而且将会对人类知识有所贡献
Knowledge...yes.
人类知识,很好
Here is the informed consent form.
这里是同意书
Should you agree, you sign there at the bottom.
如果你同意,就在下面签个名
Is there a family member you want me to explain this to?
你有任何家属需要我 解释给他们听的吗
Oh, that won't be necessary.
不需要了
Good.
The important thing is for you to take the full dose of chemotherapy.
最重要的是 你必须服用全剂量的药
There may be times when you'll wish for a lesser dose due to the side-effects.
你可能会因为副作用 而希望减少剂量
But we've got to go full force.
但我们还是必须全剂量去执行
Dr. Bearing? Yes.
- 贝宁小姐 - 是的
You must be very tough.
你必须要非常坚强
Do you think you can be very tough?
你觉得你够坚强吗?
You needn't worry.
你不必担心
Good.
很好
Excellent.
非常好
I should have asked more questions.
我应该多问些问题的
But if I knew there was going to be a test.
因为这可是项大测试
Hi. How you feeling today? Fine.
- 你好吗? - 很好
Great. That's just great.
好,很好
This is not my standard greeting, I assure you.
这不是我一般打招呼的方式
I tend toward something a little more formal,
我会比较正式一点
a little less inquisitive,
比较不那么好管闲事
such as, say, "Hello."
像是说声“嗨”而已
But it is the standard greeting here, so I just say, "Fine."
但这里的习惯就是那样,我也只能跟着说“很好”
Of course, it is not very often that I do feel fine.
事实上我很少有 觉得很好的时候
I have been asked "How are you feeling today?," while I was throwing up into a plastic washbasin.
有时我狂吐了一番后 还有人问我“你今天好吗”
I have been asked as I was emerging from a four-hour operation
甚至在历经四个种头手术 全身插满管子时
with a tube in every orifice: "How are you feeling today?"
还有人问我“你今天好吗”
I'm waiting for the moment when someone asks me this question and I am dead.
真希望下次有人问我这问题时 我已经远离人世了
I'm a little sorry I'll miss that.
我想我会很遗憾错过这一幕吧
I have cancer,
我得了癌症
insidious cancer, with pernicious side-effects.
潜藏性癌症,还有很严重的副作用
No, the treatment has pernicious side-effects.
不,是治疗有严重的副作用
I have stage four metastatic ovarian cancer.
我得了第四期的‘移转性卵巢癌’
There is no stage five.
没有第五期了
Oh. And I have to be very tough.
而且我必须很坚强
It appears to be a matter, as the saying goes...
很明显地,套句话说
of life and death.
这是件生死攸关的事
I know all about life and death.
我算是满了解生与死的
I am, after all, a professor of 17th-century poetry
我是一位 研究十七世纪英国诗的教授
specializing in the Holy Sonnets of John Donne...
尤其是约翰道恩的 十四行圣诗
which explore mortality in greater depth than any other body of work in the English language.
对于永生的概念比起其他文体 探讨地都还要深入
And I know for a fact that I am tough.
而且我确信我够坚强
A demanding professor, uncompromising,
我是执着苛求的教授 不容妥协
never one to turn from a challenge.
不轻易放弃挑战
That is why I chose to study John Donne
这也是我选择 研究约翰道恩的原因
while a student of the great E.M. Ashford.
并同时受教于爱丝佛教授
Oh, yes.
对了
Your essay on Holy Sonnet VI, Miss Bearing,
你那篇关于第六首圣诗的报告 似乎有点离谱
is a melodrama with a veneer of scholarship unworthy of you
你不应该会写出这样的报告 完全没把握住重点
to say nothing of Donne. Do it again.
拿回去重做
Oh. I...
噢.....我...
Begin with the text, Miss Bearing, not with a feeling.
请根据上下文 而不是你个人的感觉
"Death be not proud,
“死亡,不是件荣耀”
"though some have called thee "Mighty and dreadful, for,
“虽然人们视你为 敬畏可怕的象征”
thou art not so..."
“但...你完全不是如此”
You've entirely missed the point of the poem
你完全没抓到整首诗的重点
because, I must say, you've used an edition of the text
因为你用了错误的版本 它的标点断句都是错的
that is inauthentically punctuated. In the Gardner edition of the text.. Well, that edition is checked out of the li--
根据盖纳的版本... 但是那版本...
You take this too lightly.
你有点太轻忽了
This is metaphysical poetry, not the modern novel.
这是首抽象诗,不是现代小说
The standards of scholarship and critical reading which one would apply to any other text, are simply insufficient.
光靠自以为是的见解和评论 有时候是不够的
The effort must be total for the results to be meaningful.
你的努力要让结果 显现出价值才有意义
Do you think that the punctuation of the last line of this sonnet is merely an insignificant detail?
你觉得这首诗最后一行的标点 没有任何意义吗
The sonnet begins with a valiant struggle with death, calling on all the forces
这首诗开头是关于 一位勇者和死亡挣扎的意象
of intellect and drama to vanquish the enemy.
凭藉着智慧来战胜它的敌人
But it is ultimately about overcoming the seemingly insuperable barriers
它的最终寓意是在于跨越那道
separating life, death, and eternal life.
难以跨越的生死和永生的藩蓠
In the edition you chose, this profoundly simple meaning
而在你所选用的版本里
is sacrificed to hysterical punctuation.
这样清楚的寓意 却被胡乱标点符号给牺牲掉了
"And Death," capital D...
“而死亡(Death)...” 大写的D
"shall be no more;" emi-colon.
“将不复有;”分号
"Death," capital D, comma...
“而死亡,” 大写的D,逗点
"thou shalt die!", exclamation mark.
“你将从此真正死去!” 惊叹号
If you go in for this sort of thing, I suggest you take up Shakespeare.
如果你喜欢这类东西,我建议你可以读一读莎士比亚
Gardner's edition of the Holy Sonnets returns to the Westmoreland manuscript source of 1610.
盖纳的版本是根据 魏斯摩蓝1610的手稿而来
Not for sentimental reasons, I assure you,
这并非个人好恶
but because Helen Gardner is a scholar.
而是因为 海伦盖纳是个真正的学者
It reads:
所以应该读成
"And death shall be no more,"
“而死亡将不复有,”逗号
comma, "Death thou shalt die!"
“而死亡你将从此真正死去”
Nothing but a breath, a comma,
一个语气的停顿,或一个逗点
separates life from life everlasting.
把生命和永生两个概念区隔开
Very simple, really.
很容易,真的
With the original punctuation restored, death is no longer something
若恢复原来的标点,“死亡”就不需
to act out on a stage with exclamation marks.
煞有其事加上惊叹号了
It is a comma. A pause.
重点在于逗点和语气停顿
In this way-- the uncompromising way-- one learns something from the poem,
这就是读诗的不能妥协之处
wouldn't you say?
你说是吧
Life, death, soul, God,
生命、死亡、灵魂、上帝
past, present.
过去和现在
Not insuperable barriers,
并非无法跨越之障碍
not semicolons.
并非用分号来连接
Just a comma.
而是用逗点
Life, death. I see.
生命...死亡,我懂了
It's a metaphysical conceit. It's wit.
它是种抽象的概念 它是种机趣
I'll go back to the library and rewrite It is not wit, Miss Bearing. It is truth.
- 我再去图书馆查查... - 这不是机趣,贝宁 这是真理
The paper's not the point.
重要的不是报告
Isn't it?
是吗
Vivian, you're a bright young woman.
薇薇安,你很聪明的
Use your intelligence.
多运用你的智慧
Don't go back to the library. Go out.
不要去图书馆,到外头多看看
Enjoy yourself with friends, hmm?
多花时间和朋友们相处,好吗
VIVIAN, VOICE-OVER: I went outside.
我到了外面去
It was a warm day. I...
天气很暖和
There were students on the lawn talking about, well,
草地上到处是学生
nothing, laughing.
全都有说有笑的
Simple human truth.
一种简单的人类真理
Uncompromising scholarly standards.
不妥协的治学态度
They're connected.
相互关联
I just couldn't...
我就是无法...
I went back to the library.
我又回图书馆去了
Anyway...
随它吧
All right.
好吧
"Significant contribution to knowledge."
“对人类知识卓越的贡献”
"Eight cycles of chemotherapy."
八个化学疗程
Give me the full dose,
给我全剂量好了
the full dose, every time.
全剂量,每一次
VIVIAN, VOICE-OVER: The attention was flattering...
受人注意还真不错
for the first five minutes.
刚开始五分钟而已
Vivian Bearing.
薇薇安贝宁
Huh?
什么
Bearing. B-e-a-r-i-n-g.
贝宁,B-E-A-R-I-N-G
Vivian. V-i-v-i-a-n.
薇薇安,V-I-V-I-A-N
Your doctor?
我问的是你的医生
Oh! Dr. Harvey Kelekian.
哈威柯医生
I am a doctor of philosophy...
我是文学博士
Take a deep breath and hold it.
深呼吸,憋气
OK. [Vivian exhales]
很好
a scholar of 17th-century poetry.
研究十七世纪英诗的学者
Arms above your head, and hold it.
双手高举过头
OK.
很好
I have made an immeasurable contribution to the discipline of English literature.
我对英国文学的教学方法 有卓越的贡献
I am, in short, a force.
简单地说,我占有一席之地
OK, that's it.
好,就这样
Name?
名字
Lucy, Countess of Bedford.
露西,贝佛德郡的女伯爵
I don't see it here. My name is Vivian Bearing.
- 我找不到 - 我叫薇薇安贝宁
B-e-a-r-i-n-g. Dr. Kelekian is my doctor.
B-E-A-R-I-N-G,克里奇安是我的医生
OK, lie down.
请躺下
VIVIAN: After an astounding undergraduate career...
在表现优异的大学生涯后
I studied for three years with Professor E.M. Ashford,
我跟着爱丝佛教授研究了三年
during which time I learned by instruction and example
在这期间我见识到 如何才能成为有名的学者
what it means to be a scholar of distinction.
身为研究生
As her research fellow, my principal task was
我的职责就是...
the alphabetizing of index cards for Ashford's monumental critical edition
负责为她那本巨作编排索引卡
of Donne's "Devotions Upon Emergent Occasions."
叫做“道恩的作品层观”
I am thanked in the preface:
在它的序文中有提到我
"Miss Vivian Bearing for her able assistance."
“感谢贝宁小姐的热心相助”
Thank you.
谢谢
Where's your wheelchair?
你的轮椅呢
I do not know. I was busy just now.
我不知道,我...在忙
Well, how you gonna get out of here?
那你怎么离开这儿呢
I could walk. It's not permitted.
- 我可以用走的 - 这是不允许的
Well, I do not know. Perhaps you would like me to stay.
我不知道 不然我可以留下来
I guess I got to go find you a chair.
我去帮你找一张好了
Don't inconvenience yourself on my behalf. You want their feedback? Sure. If you can, make it 4...
别为我这么麻烦了
Ms. Bearing, this is Jason Posner.
贝宁,这位是杰森波斯纳
He's gonna do your medical history and ask you a few questions.
他要做病历纪录和问一些问题
He's Dr. Kelekian's fellow.
他是柯医生的助理医师
Professor Bearing, I'm Dr. Posner, clinical fellow at the medical oncology branch,
贝宁教授,我是波斯纳医生 肿瘤科的助理医师
working with Dr. Kelekian.
跟着柯医生见习
Sit over here, please.
请坐这儿
Professor Bearing, I was a student at the university. Did you?
贝宁教授,大学时候...
Yes. I thought it was excellent.
是的,那课真的很棒
Well, thank you. Were you an English major?
谢谢
No. Biochemistry.
- 你是主修英文吗? - 不,生物化学
But you can't get into med school unless you're well-rounded.
但要进入医学院 必须要各方面都表现优异
And I made a bet with myself that I could get an A in the three hardest courses on campus.
我跟我自己打赌我一定能在 这三门最难的课都拿到“甲”
How did you do, Jase?
你表现得如何呢?
Success. Really? A-minus.
- 真的?很不错 - 真的?
It was a very tough course.
甲下,那课真得很难
Yeah, I'll call you. OK.
- 我待会儿再叫你 - 好的
I'll wheel this over.
先把这移过来
OK, now, I'm going to be taking your history,
好,现在我要先了解你的背景
which is a medical interview, and then I give you an exam.
作为就医报告 然后再开始检查
I believe Dr. Kelekian has already done that.
我记得 柯医生之前已做过了
Well, I know, but Dr. Kelekian wanted me to do one, too.
我知道,但他要我再做一次
Very well.
很好
OK, let's just get started.
好,开始吧
Uh...how are you feeling today? Fine, thank you. Excellent.
- 你今天感觉好吗? - 很好,谢谢
And how's your general health?
- 不错,那大致上的身体状况呢? - 很好
Fine. Good.
很好
Now, we know that you're an academic. Yes, we've established that.
- 我知道你是个学者 - 我们刚刚谈过了
So we don't need to talk about your interesting work. No.
- 那我就不多问你的工作方面了 - 好的
Uh, how old are you? 48.
- 今年贵庚? - 48岁
Are you married? No.
- 结婚了吗? - 还没
Are your parents living? No.
- 父母亲健在吗? - 都不在了
How and when did they die?
请问他们过世的原因和年纪?
My father, suddenly, of a heart attack when I was 21.
我父亲在我 21 岁时 因心脏病发过世
My mother, slowly, when I was 41 or 42, of cancer, breast cancer.
我母亲,在我41、42岁时 罹患了乳癌而过世
Cancer? Yeah. Breast cancer.
- 癌症? - 对,乳癌
I see. Any siblings? No.
- 了解,有兄弟姐妹吗? - 没有
Now I'm going to ask you about your past medical history.
接下来我要问问你过去的病史
Have you ever been hospitalized? Yes. I had my tonsils out when I was eight.
- 你曾经住院过吗? - 有,我八岁时割过扁桃腺
Have you ever been pregnant?
- 怀孕过吗? - 没有
High blood pressure? No.
- 高血压? - 没有
Venereal diseases, uterine infections... No.
- 得过性病或子宫感染? - 没有
Thyroid, diabetes, cancer... No. Well, cancer, yes.
- 甲状腺炎、糖尿病或癌症? - 没有,癌症...有
Well, when? Now.
- 什么时候? - 现在
Well, not including now. In that case, no.
- 不包括现在 - 那没有
OK. Uh...
clinical depression, nervous breakdown, suicide attempts...
有任何沮丧、焦虑 或自杀意念吗?
No.
没有
Do you smoke? No.
- 抽烟吗? - 不抽
Ethanol. I beg your pardon?
- 乙醇类呢? - 抱歉?
Yes, I drink wine. How much? How often?
- 乙醇,有,我喝酒 - 喝多少?多久喝一次?
A glass with dinner occasionally, and perhaps a scotch every now and then.
偶尔晚餐后会喝一杯,有时候会喝一些威士忌
Do you use any substances?
- 有使用药物吗? - 例如呢?
poppers... No.
没有
Do you drink caffeinated beverages? Oh, yes.
- 常喝含咖啡因饮料吗? - 有
OK. How many? Two to six.
- 多少杯? - 二...至六杯吧
But I really don't think that's immoderate.
但我觉得应该不算多吧
How often do you undergo routine medical checkups?
多久做一次例行健康检查呢?
Well, not as often as I should probably, but I've felt fine. I really have.
不大常做 但我一直都觉得还好
So the answer is? Every three to five years.
- 那次数是...? - 三到五年做一次吧
What do you do for exercise?
从事什么运动呢?
Pace.
散步
Are you having sexual relations? Not at the moment.
- 有过性关系吗? - 目前没有
Are you pre or post-menopausal? Post.
- 过了更年期没有? - 过了
When did your periods stop? About two years ago.
- 月经什么时候停止的? - 大约两年前
OK. Uh...
好的
When did you first notice your present complaint? Oh. Um,
你大概什么时候发现征兆的?
well, about four months ago, I felt a pain in my stomach, in my abdomen.
大约四个月前 我开始觉得胃痛,在腹部
Um, like a cramp, but not the same.
像是抽筋,又不大一样
But not the same? Duller and stronger. But I can't describe it.
- 但不一样? - 不明显,有时又很强烈,我不会形容
Mm-hmm. What happened next? Well, I just- I don't know...
- 接下来呢? - 我不知道
I started noticing my body. Little things. I would be teaching and feel a sharp pain.
然后我会开始注意身体一些小变化 我还是照常教书,偶而会感到剧痛
What kind of pain?
哪一种疼痛
Sharp...
剧痛
and sudden.
很突然的
Then it would go away, or I would be tired...
然后又消失了 我常常会觉得很疲惫
the article on John Donne
我正帮牛津英国文学百科全书
for the "Oxford Encyclopedia of English Literature."
写一篇关于约翰道恩的评论
It was a great honor, but I had a very strict deadline.
虽然这很荣幸 但我有很严格的拖稿时间
So would you say you were under stress? It wasn't so much more stress than usual.
- 这么说你承受很大的压力了 - 也不会比平常大多少
So...
然后呢?
So I went to see Dr. Chin, my gynecologist, after I'd turned in the article and explained all this.
拖稿之后我就去找妇产科的秦医生 告诉他我的情况
She examined me, sent me to Jefferson, the internist...
她检查一下后就把我 转给内科的杰佛逊医师
who sent me to Kelekian because he thought I might have a tumor.
他随后又把我转给柯医师 他认为我可能长了肿瘤
That's very interesting.
很好
Um, well, I guess we'll start the exam.
那我们就开始检查吧
Why don't you just sort of lie back and relax?
那么你先躺下来,放轻松点
Won't take a minute.
一下就好了
Um, let me get this sheet.
盖上这床单
Here. OK. OK. Um...um...oh,
就这样,好了
yes. Just...um... Um...just...
对了
Feet in the stirrups here.
请把脚放在脚蹬上
OK.
好了
OK.
好了
There. OK.
就这样
Good. OK.
好,很好
Um... OK.
好了
OK. Oh! Oh. I've got to go get Susie.
对了,我去叫苏西
I got to have a girl here. Some crazy clinical rule.
必须要有女性在旁边 医院的老规矩
Don't move. I'll be right back.
别动,我马上回来
Susie?
苏西
I wish I had given him an A.
我应该给他“甲”的
JASON: Susie!
苏西
Two times one is two. Two times two is four.
二一得二,二二得四
Two times three is... six. Ohh.
二三得...六
"Death be not proud,
“死亡不是件荣耀”
though some have called thee "Mighty and dreadful,
“虽然人们视你为 敬畏可怕的象征”
for, thou art not so,"
“但你完全不是如此”
"For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
“因为,那些视你为天敌者 并未逝去”
Die not, poor Death, nor yet canst thou kill me..."
“可悲的死亡啊 你将永不能奈我何”
Has anybody seen Susie?
有人看到苏西吗?
...
怎么回事
"One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
“我虽只有短暂的一眠 醒来却已然成就永生”
"And death shall be no more,"
“死亡将不复有”
comma.
...逗点
"Death thou shalt die!"
“死亡将永远消失”
OK, here's everything. OK.
好了,准备好了
What is this? Why did you leave her like this? I had to find you. Now, come on.
- 你怎么把她弄成这样 - 我急着找你啊,来吧
We're ready, Professor Bearing.
准备好了,贝宁小姐
Just get this on. Uh...
涂上这个
All right. All right.
好了
Just get this up.
将它掀开
Ooh, just relax.
放轻松
OK. Isn't that interesting, Susie,
很好
that I had Professor Bearing?
我恰好修过贝宁教授的课 苏西,很有趣吧
I don't know anything about poetry.
关于诗我简直一窍不通
It looked very good on my transcript that I had taken her course.
所以成绩单上 显示修过她的课是很难得的
Jesus. What?
- 天啊 - 怎么了?
What?
怎么了?
Y-yeah, I survived Bearing's course. And no problem.
不敢相信我修过贝宁教授的课
Yeah, John Donne, those metaphysical poets,
约翰道恩 那些抽象派的诗人
that metaphysical wit. Hardest poetry in the English department.
那些抽象式的机趣,那算英文领域中最难懂的诗了
I'd like to see them try biochemistry.
真希望他们也试试修个生化课
OK.
好了
We're almost done. All right.
快好了,很好
Yeah, OK. Uh! Uh, that's it. We're done.
好了,完成了
Uh, OK. I got to go.
我先走了
Uh, take her feet out of... Yeah.
记得她的脚...
Thank you.
谢谢
I'm just gonna...
那真的是...
VIVIAN, VOICE-OVER: That was...
真是...
hard.
很难受
That was...
真的是...
One thing that can be said for an eight-month course of cancer treatment:
关于这为期八个月的癌症疗程
It is... highly educational.
真的是极富教育性
I am learning to suffer.
我学会了如何去承受一切病痛
Yes, it is mildly uncomfortable to have an electrocardiogram,
照心电图或许会有点不舒服
but...the agony of a colonoscopy sweeps it from memory.
但比起照内视镜 可能就算是种享受了
Yes, it was embarrassing to have to wear a nightgown all day long.
整天穿着一件睡衣 还真有点难为情
Two nightgowns.
是两件
But that seemed like a positive privilege compared to watching myself go bald.
但比起自己变成光头 这似乎又光荣了许多
Yes, having a former student give me a pelvic exam
让从前的学生 为自已做骨盘腔检查
was thoroughly...
真的很...
degrading.
...可耻
And I use the term deliberately.
我是故意用这字的
But...
但...
I could not have imagined the depths of humiliation.
这可能还不是最丢人的事吧
Oh, God. It can't--
天啊
Please-- God help--
天啊
Steady.
慢慢地
Steady. Unh...
慢慢地
Oh, God.
天啊
What's left?
还有什么...
I haven't eaten in two days.
我已经两天没进食了
What's left to puke?
还有什么能吐的
You may remark that my vocabulary has taken a turn for the Anglo-Saxon.
你们或许注意到我开始在 讲一些盎格鲁萨克逊语了
God, I'm gonna barf my brains out.
我的脑子都快被吐出来了
If I did actually barf my brains out...
如果我真的吐出了脑子...
it would be a great loss to my discipline.
那将会是学术界的一大损失
Of course, not a few of my colleagues would be relieved
有不少同事应该会暗自庆幸吧
to say nothing of my students.
更别说我的学生了
It's not that I'm controversial.
并不是我有多令人争议
Just uncompromising.
我只是不轻易妥协的那种
False alarm.
虚惊一场
If the word went round that Vivian Bearing had barfed her brains out, well,
如果传出了我 不幸呕吐身亡的消息
first my colleagues, most of whom are my former students,
首先我的同事 大多是我以前的学生
would scramble madly for my position.
将会一窝蜂想窜上我的位置
And then their consciences would flare up.
当然他们的良知 还是会稍微蠢动一下
So to honor my memory, they would put together a collection
为了纪念我,他们会把各自对...
of their essays about John Donne.
...约翰道恩的评论集结成书
The volume would begin with a warm introduction,
书的开头当然会先...
capturing my most endearing qualities.
...赞美我一些优点事蹟
It would be short but sweet.
应该不会很长 但还是会很令人窝心
"Published and Perished."
出版一阵子后就会消声匿迹了
Now, watch this. I have to ring the bell.
现在,我该按个呼叫铃
SUSIE: How you doing, Ms. Bearing? You having some nausea?
怎么了,贝宁小姐 又吐了吗?
Uh, yes. OK, I'll be with you in a second.
- 是的 - 好的,我马上来
Someone has to come and measure this emesis
会有人进来...测量这些呕吐物
and record it on a chart of my intake and output.
然后纪录在我的 水分摄取排出表上
This counts as output.
这算是排出
It's about 300 CCs.
大约是三百毫升
Is that all?
就这样?
It was very hard work.
这真的很难受
Yup, 300.
真的是三百
Good guess.
猜的好
OK.
好吧
Is there anything else I can get you? You want some Jell-O or something?
还有什么能帮忙的吗?想吃些果胶吗?
Thank you, no.
不了,谢谢
Are you OK all by yourself in here? Yes.
- 自己一个在这儿还习惯吗 - 可以
You're not having a lot of visitors,
你的访客好像不多吧
are you?
严格来说
None to be precise.
一个都没有
I didn't think so.
不会吧
Is there somebody you want me to call or something?
需要我帮忙联络谁吗?
That won't be necessary. I don't want visitors.
不用了,我不需要访客
OK.
好吧
Well, I tell you what,
那这么好了..
I'll just pop my head in every once in a while to see how you're doing,
那我会不定时 进来看看你的情况
make sure you're OK. If you need anything, you just ring.
确定你一切都稳定 有什么需要就按个铃吧
Thank you.
谢谢
OK.
You just call.
有事尽管叫我
VIVIAN, VOICE-OVER: Do not forget
别忘了
that you are seeing the most interesting aspects
你们看见的是 我这一生中最滑稽的阶段
of my tenure as an in-patient receiving experimental chemotherapy
身为移转性卵巢癌病人
for advanced metastatic ovarian cancer.
躺在病床接受着化疗
But as I am a scholar, I feel obliged to document
身为一个学者,我也该好好...
what it is like here most of the time
纪录一下这里的生活作息
between the dramatic climaxes.
其中当然也少不了的 戏剧中所谓的精采片段
In truth, it is like this.
事实上也就是如此
You cannot imagine
你们绝对想像不到
how time can be so still.
时间究竟有多缓慢
It hangs. It weighs.
你仿佛感受得到它
And yet there is so little of it.
但事实上它却已经所剩无几了
It goes so slowly.
它过得缓慢
And yet it is so scarce.
但却也同样稀少
If I were writing this scene, it would last a full 15 minutes.
如果要我描写这一幕 我可以满满说上十来分钟
I would lie here and you would sit there.
我躺在这儿,而你们坐在那儿
Not to worry.
别担心
"Brevity is the soul of wit."
这短短的时间 才是成就机趣的灵魂
But
但是...
if you think eight months of cancer treatment is tedious for all of you,
如果你们认为 八个月的化疗是漫长乏味的
consider how it feels to play my part.
你们就知道我亲身的感受了
All right. All right.
好吧
Let's say it's Friday morning.
那应该是个星期五早晨
"Grand rounds" is what they call it.
他们称之为“主会报”
Action!
开始
Dr. Bearing. Dr. Kelekian.
- 贝宁小姐 - 柯医生
Professor Bearing, how are you feeling today?
贝宁小姐,今天还好吗
Hexamethophosphacil with Vinplatin to potentiate.
使用Hex和Vin两种药
Hex at 300 milligrams per meter squared, Vin at 100.
Hex每立方英尺三百毫克 而Vin是一百毫克
Today is cycle four, day three.
今天是第四疗程的第三天
All cycles are at the full dose.
所有疗程都使用全剂量
Primary site is here... behind the left ovary.
发病源在这儿,左侧卵巢后方
Metastases are suspected in the peritoneal cavity,
腹腔发现有癌细胞转移
mainly in this area here.
大约在这一块
Full lymphatic involvement. At the time of first-look surgery,
已经完全转移至淋巴组织
a significant part of the tumor was
在第一次的手术中,已经切除大部份肿瘤了
de-bulked, mainly in this area here. Left, right ovaries,
大约是这区域,包含左右卵巢
fallopian tubes, uterus, all out.
输卵管及子宫的肿瘤
Evidence of primary-site shrinkage.
发病源的肿瘤已经变小了
Shrinking in metastases has not been documented.
移转减缓还是第一次看见
Primary mass frankly palpable in pelvic exam,
有些地方肿瘤还是很明显
all through here.
在骨盆中的这一块区域
Excellent command of details. OK.
非常详尽
Problem areas with Hex and Vin?
那么使用过 Hex及Vin的地方呢
With this combination of agents, nephrotoxicity will be next.
接下来可能还会伴随肾毒现象
Anybody else?
还有问题吗?
Side-effects?
副作用呢?
Nausea, vomiting.
恶心,呕吐呢?
Jason? Routine.
- 杰森 - 如同预期
Pain while urinating.
- 排尿疼痛? - 如预期良好
Routine. Psychological depression? No way.
- 沮丧焦虑? - 没有
KELEKIAN: Anything else?
还有吗?
Other complaints with Hex and Vin?
对Hex或Vin的评鉴呢?
Come on.
快啊
Mouth sores? Not yet.
- 嘴巴疼痛? - 没有
Why do we waste our time, Dr. Bearing?
我们不该浪费时间的是吧 贝宁小姐
I do not know, Dr. Kelekian.
我不知道,柯医生
Use your eyes.
用你们的眼睛仔细看
KELEKIAN: Good grief.
这算是好事吗
Hair loss.
头发脱落啊
Come on! Doesn't count.
- 拜托,谁都看得出来 - 这不算吧
Hair loss after first cycle of treatment.
第一疗程后就有头发脱落现象
KELEKIAN: That's better. Dr. Bearing.
很好 贝宁小姐
Full dose?
全剂量
KELEKIAN: Good. Excellent. Keep pushing the fluids. Big shot.
很好,非常好 要继续排出水分
Jason, clinical. Oh, right. Um...
- 杰森,你的病人 - 对
Wasn't that grand?
场面真是好大
Full of subservience, hierarchies.
但全都是阿谀奉承,充满阶级压迫
Gratuitous displays, sublimated rivalries.
还有自我炫耀和 升华过后的敌视心理
I feel completely at home. It is just like a graduate seminar...
这感觉真熟悉 仿佛又回到了研究所的研讨会
with one important difference--
唯一大不相同的是
in grand rounds, they read me like a book.
在主会报中他们把我 当成教科书一样研究
Once I did the teaching.
以前我是负责指导
Now I am taught.
现在则是被拿来指导别人
This is much easier. I just hold still and look cancerous.
这简单多了,我只要保持不动 一副得了癌症的脸就好了
Jason was impressive, wasn't he?
杰森表现得很好吧
I taught him, you know.
我也曾教过他
Nephrotoxicity, kidney poisoning, myelosuppression.
肾毒,脊髓生长抑制
They are medical terms. I looked them up.
这些都是医学用语
It has always been my custom to treat words with respect.
我仍然记得.....很久很久以前.....
I can recall the time,
回忆起那段时光
the very hour
当我
of the very day
立志以后
when I knew words would be my life's work.
要以文学 当作我终生职志的那个时候
I like that one best.
我喜欢这一本
Read another.
读另一本
I think I'll read
我想读
"The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies."
“小野兔的故事”
It has little bunnies on the front.
它上面有好多小兔兔
"The Tale of the Flopsy Bunnies"
“小野兔的故事” 作者...毕崔斯波特
"It is said that the..." e--ef--"effect "of eating "too much lettuce is...so--" sop--sopo--
“会...让人...变得... 眼...皮...”
What is this word?
这句话什么意思?
Say it in bits. "Sop-or-i-fic."
一个一个字念出来
[so-poor-eye-fik] So-por-i-fic.
眼...皮...沉...重
What does that mean?
眼皮沉重,这什么意思?
[SAW-per-IF-ik] "Soporific"? Causing sleep.
眼皮沉重? 有催眠的意思
Causing sleep. Makes you sleepy.
- 催眠... - 让人想睡觉
So-por-ific... means makes you sleepy. That's right.
- 眼皮沉重,就是让人想睡觉的意思 - 没错
DAD: Now, use it in a sentence.
用它来造一句话
What has a soporific effect on you?
什么东西会让你眼皮沉重?
YOUNG VIVIAN: What has a soporific effect on me?
什么东西让我眼皮沉重?
What makes you sleepy?
什么会让你想睡觉?
Uh...nothing.
没有
[chuckles] That's right.
很好
What about you?
那你呢?
What has a soporific effect on me?
什么东西会让我眼皮沉重?
Let me think.
我想一想
Boring conversation, I suppose, after dinner.
无聊的对话,尤其是晚餐后
Me, too. Boring conversation.
我也是,无聊的对话
Good, excellent. Carry on.
很好,继续吧
VOICE OF YOUNG VIVIAN: "It is said that the effect "of eating too much lettuce is
“据说吃太多莴巨 会让人...
[SAW-per-IF-ik] soporific."
...眼皮沉重”
The little bunnies in the picture are sleeping.
图画里的小兔子都睡着了
They're sleeping, like you said, because of... soporific.
如你所说 因为他们都是眼皮沉重
The illustration bore out the meaning of the word
过分解释往往会
just as he had explained it.
让单字变得无趣
At the time, it seemed like magic.
那时候一切都像着了魔法般
所以...
So imagine the effect the words of John Donne first had on me.
你们可想见约翰道恩的诗 初次带给了我多大的影响力
Ratiocination, concatenation,
必须去揣测、推理
coruscation, tergiversation.
加上他赋予诗的才气和华丽的词藻
Medical terms are less evocative.
医学用字就没有这启发性了
Still,
但是...
I want to know what the doctors mean when they anatomize me.
他们分析时我还是 很想了解他们在说什么
My only defense is the acquisition of vocabulary.
我只能藉着了解这些字 做消极的抵抗
Fever and neutropenia. OK, when did it start?
- 发烧、还有白血球减少 - 什么时候开始的?
I was at home reading. I felt so bad. I got cold.
我在家看书时,突然觉得不舒服
Fever and neutropenia. They said to come in.
我发烧又觉得好冷 他们叫我过来一趟
Can you walk? Yes.
能走吗?
OK, just sit here a minute.
先坐着
I'll get Jason. He's on call tonight, and we'll get him to give you some meds.
我去找杰森,他今天轮值 他应该能...开给你一些药
I'm glad I was here tonight.
幸好他今晚在
I'm gonna get you to a bed soon, OK?
我尽快替你找个床位
I'm gonna get you some juice, some nice juice, with lots of ice, OK?
我去帮你拿果汁 好喝的果汁和冰块好吗?
Lights. I left all the lights on at my house.
电灯,我出门时还没关灯
Don't worry about it. It'll be OK.
别担心这个,会没事的
Professor Bearing, how you feeling?
贝宁教授,还好吗?
My teeth are chattering.
我牙齿在颤抖
Fever and neutropenia. It's a shake and bake.
发烧及白血球过少 没什么大问题
Blood culture and urine, stat. Admit her. Prepare her for reverse isolation.
观察纪录红血球值及排尿量 替她安排隔离病房
Start with acetaminophen. Vitals every four hours. I'll be right back.
开始使用醋胺酚 并每四小时做一次基本测量
Jason,
杰森
I think you need to talk to Kelekian about lowering the dose for the next cycle.
你应该跟柯医生研究 下个疗程是否该降低剂量了
It's too much for her like this.
这对她来说负荷过重了
Lower the dose? No way. She's tough. She can take it. Full dose.
降低剂量? 不可能 她很坚强,她能承受全剂量的
Wake me when the counts come from the lab.
资料出来后请叫醒我
Good morning, Dr. Bearing.
早安...贝宁小姐
Full dose.
全剂量吗?
Definite progress. Everything OK?
又前进一大步了,还好吧?
Yes.
还好
You're doing swell.
你表现的非常好
Isolation's no problem. A couple of days. Think of it as a vacation. Oh.
隔离病房没什么,只有几天而已 请把它当成是渡假吧!
Jason! What? Oh, OK.
- 杰森 - 干嘛?
In isolation,
隔离...
I am isolated.
我被隔离了
For once, I can use a term literally.
头一次我可以用得 一点都不夸张
The chemotherapeutic agents eradicating my cancer
化疗药物消灭了癌细胞
have also eradicated my immune system.
却也同时破坏了我的免疫系统
In my present condition,
以我现在这样...
every living thing is a health hazard to me...
每一个活生生的动物都可能 传染病菌并危害到我的生命
I really have not got time for this.
这我也从未试过
particularly health-care professionals.
这些特殊医疗的专业人士
Just to check the I&O sheets for one minute takes me a half an hour to do precautions. Oh.
我会先检查水分摄取排出表 可能要花半个种头做预防治疗
5, 7, 11, 250 twice. OK. Oh. Um, Professor
五、七、十一点,两次共两百五十毫升 好了
Bearing, how are you feeling today?
贝宁博士,今天好吗?
Fine, just shaking sometimes from the chills.
很好,只是有时候冷得发抖
IV should kick in anytime now. No problem.
等一下会为你做静脉注射 别担心
Listen, I got to go. Keep pushing the fluids, OK? Hmm...
我要走了 记得多排尿,好吗?
I am not in isolation because I have cancer,
我没有被完全隔离 因为我得了癌症
because
因为...
I have a tumor the size of a grapefruit.
我还有一个像柚子 那么大的肿瘤陪我
No.
不...
I am in isolation
我是孤独的
because I am being treated for cancer.
因为我是接受化疗的患者
My treatment imperils my health.
它同时也危害到了我健康
Herein lies the paradox.
这就是吊诡
John Donne would revel in it.
约翰道恩常使用这技巧
I would revel in it if he wrote a poem about it.
我也很喜欢他诗里 使用的这技巧
My students would flounder in it
但我学生常常会被弄迷糊
because paradox is too difficult to understand. Huh.
因为吊诡太难去理解了
"Think of it as a puzzle,"
“把它当成谜语”
I would tell them, "an intellectual game."
我会这样告诉他们,“当成是脑力激荡”
Or I would have told them...
或许我老早就说过了
were it a game...
把它当作是个游戏
which it is not.
但又不全然是
"...threw death on else immortal us..."
“透过死亡才能获得永生...”
"If lecherous goats, "if serpents envious
“倘若伊甸园里荒淫的羊群
"Cannot be damned,
善妒的蛇不须入地狱”
"alas, why should I be?
“啊,那何独我要呢”
"Why should intent or reason, born in me,
“为何仅止于心中的企图存念 须招致如此大的罪恶之名?”
"Make sins, else equal, "in me more heinous?
“在上帝严酷的面容下
"And mercy being easy, and glorious
总是包容着垂怜的关爱”
"To God, in his stern wrath "why threatens he?
“为何还要加诸 如此的威胁警告?”
"But who am I, that dare dispute with thee?"
“但我那儿敢与谁争论?”
"O God, "Oh! of thine only worthy blood,
“喔,上帝啊,唯有借着 你的鲜血和我哀痛的眼泪...”
"And my tears, make a heavenly Lethean flood,
“唯有藉着 你的鲜血和我哀痛的眼泪...”
"And drown in it my sins' black memory
“汇集成奔流的忘却洪水 好洗清我身上肮脏的原罪”
"That thou remember them, "some claim as debt,
“我始终会记得其中一些人 那一些已堕落死亡的人”
"I think it mercy, if thou wilt forget."
“请施与你的关爱 忘记我及我的一切罪恶吧”
A typical prayer would plead, "Remember me, O Lord."
典型祈求上帝恩宠的祷文会说 “记住我吧,主啊”
True believers ask to be remembered by God.
虔诚的信徒们 都希望上帝别遗弃他们
The speaker of this sonnet asks God to forget.
但这诗中的主角 却祈求上帝遗弃他
We want to correct the speaker, hmm?
我们应该纠正他,是吧?
To remind him of the assurance of salvation.
让他深信上帝的救赎
But it is too late. The poetic encounter is over.
但是为时已晚了 我们无法跟他们做面对面的交流
We are left to our own consciences.
我们只能小心呵护自己的良知
Have we outwitted Donne? Ms. Bearing.
- 我们的才智是否真胜过道恩呢? - 贝宁小姐
Or have we been outwitted?
或者是他甚于我们呢?
Ms. Bearing?
贝宁小姐
What is it? [clears throat]
什么事?
You have to go down for a test. Jason just called.
你必须出来做个测试 杰森刚刚说的
They want to do another ultrasound.
他们要做个超音波检验
They're concerned about a bowel obstruction.
他们要看看你肠胃是否通畅
No, not now. I'm sorry. They want it now.
- 不,现在不行 - 很抱歉,他们要求现在
Not right now. It's not supposed to be now.
现在不行 不该现在做的
Yes. They want to do it now. I've got the chair.
他们现在就要做,我还推了轮椅来了
It should not be now. I...
不要现在做
I am in the middle of this. I have this planned for now, not an ultrasound.
我有别的事 我不要做超音波
No more tests. We've covered that. I know. I know.
- 或其他检验,我们已经做过了 - 我知道
But they need for it to be now.
但他们却坚持现在
It isn't a bad procedure, and it won't take long. So why don't you just come along now?
反正这是无害的,而且一下就好了 请跟我来好吗
I do not want to go now.
我...我现在不想去
Ms. Bearing.
贝宁小姐
Name?
姓名?
B-E-A-R-I-N-G B-e-a-r-i-n-g.
Kelekian.
柯医生
It'll just be a minute.
请等一等
Time for your break? Yup.
- 休息时间吗? - 是的
Take a break.
慢慢休息吧
"This is my play's last scene;"
“这是我最后的一幕戏”
"here Heavens appoint
“这是
"My pilgrimage's last mile;"
我朝圣之路最后一段”
"And my race,
“我的生命竞赛...
"Idly, yet quickly run,
闲散却又急促”
"Hath this last pace..."
“终究还是到了终点”
"My span's last inch,
“仿佛指间仅剩最后一寸的距离”
"My minute's last point;"
“时间最后的一刻”
"And gluttonous death will instantly unjoint
“贪婪的死神马上要
My body and soul..."
将我的灵魂与躯壳分离”
John Donne,
约翰道恩
1609.
1609年
I've always particularly liked that poem...
我特别喜欢这首诗
in the abstract.
因为它很抽象
Now I find the image
我也很清楚
of my minute's last point
描写我生命终站的这些意象
a little too, shall we say,
有点儿...明显
pointed.
而又直接吧
I don't mean to complain, but I am becoming very sick.
我不是在发牢骚 但我真的好虚弱
Very, very sick. Ultimately sick, as it were.
非常非常虚弱
In everything I have done, I have been...
我最虚弱的一刻,就是现在
steadfast...
回顾过去
resolute.
我曾是那么的坚毅,果决
Some would say in the extreme.
有时甚至被人认为太过极端
Now, as you can see,
如你所见
I am distinguishing myself in illness.
我在病痛中,才找回了真正的自我
I have survived eight treatments of Hexamethophosphacil and Vinplatin
各位,我历经了八个化疗疗程
at the full dose, ladies and gentlemen.
全剂量的Hex及Vin
I have broken the record.
我已经破了纪录
I have become something of a celebrity.
我现在真的出名了
Kelekian and Jason are simply delighted.
柯医生和杰森都很高兴
I think
我想...
they see celebrity status for themselves
他们认为自己才是名人吧
upon the appearance of the journal article
但在他们文章报告中
they will no doubt write about me.
一定都会提起我
But I flatter myself.
我只是在安慰自己而已
The article will not be about me.
那些文章不会是关于我的
It will be about my ovaries.
而是关于我的卵巢癌
It will be about my peritoneal cavity,
关于我的腹腔检验
which, despite their best intentions, is now crawling with cancer.
这些器官都已经失去功能 正遭受癌症的侵袭
What we have come to think of as me...
我现在这个样子
is, in fact, just the specimen jar.
就像是个标本瓶
Just the dust jacket.
活像是一本书的外皮
Just the white piece of paper that bears the little black marks.
不过是上头,印了几个字的一张纸
My next line is supposed to be something like this: um...
我下一段的台词应该像是:
"Oh. It is such a relief
‘接受完痛苦的试验后
to get back to my room after those infernal tests."
还能回来真是太美好了’
This is hardly true.
虽然这话不太真实
It would be a relief to be a cheerleader
如果我是个啦啦队员
on her way to Daytona Beach for spring break.
正要前往 达特那海滩欢渡假期的话 这样子就真的太美好了
To get back to my room after those infernal tests
接下来就是我做完痛苦的试验
is just the next thing that happens.
回来的那一幕
Ohh. Oh, God.
天啊!
It is such a relief to get back to my Goddamn room
接受完痛苦的试验后
after those Goddamn tests.
还能回来真是太美好了
Professor Bearing? I just want to check your I&O.
贝宁博士 我来看看你的水分摄取排出表
450 450...
650 605.
OK... How you feeling today?
很好,今天还好吗?
Fine. Great. That's just great.
- 很好 - 好,非常好
How are my fluids?
我的体液检验如何
Pretty good. No kidney involvement yet. That's pretty amazing with Hex and Vin.
很好,肾功能还算正常 Hex和Vin两种药真是太神奇了
How will you know when the kidneys are involved?
你怎么判定 肾脏有没有受影响呢?
Lots of in, not much out. That simple?
- 摄取量多,但排出量却很少时 - 这么简单?
Well, no way.
当然不是
Compromised kidney function is a highly complex reaction.
肾脏的功能及运作 是非常复杂的
I'm simplifying it for you. Thank you.
- 我只是将它简化好让你明白 - 谢谢
We're supposed to. Bedside manner.
- 这是我们该做的 - 这是医师手则
There's a whole course on it in med school. It's required.
医学院有关于这些手则的 专门课,而且是必修
A colossal waste of time for researchers. I can imagine.
- 对我们来说有点烦人 - 我可以想像
Jason? Huh.
杰森
What were you saying just then? When?
- 你刚刚说什么? - 什么时候?
Never mind.
算了,没事
Professor Bearing, are you experiencing confusion?
贝宁博士,你神智还清醒吗?
Short-term memory loss? No.
- 有暂时性记忆丧失吗? - 没有
You sure? Yes.
- 确定? - 确定
OK.
没事
No, I was just wondering...
我只是好奇
Why cancer?
你为什么选择肿瘤科呢?
"Why cancer"?
为什么选肿瘤科?
Well, why not open-heart surgery? Oh. Well, yeah.
为何不选心脏外科之类的呢?
Well, why not plumbing?
那何不干脆选医事检验?
Why not run a lube rack for all the surgeons know about
何不干脆在灵长类外科手术权威医师
Homo sapiens sapiens and...
旁边帮忙操刀呢?
No way. Cancer's the only thing I ever wanted.
不可能的 癌症是我唯一想研究的
Huh. No, really... cancer is...
不,是真的 癌症它是...
uh...
不可思议?
How does it do it?
它很不可思议,它是如何演化的呢?
The intercellular regulatory mechanisms,
细胞与细胞之间 通常都有一种构造
especially for proliferation and differentiation.
专司控制细胞增生及区别彼此
The malignant neoplasia just don't get it. Neoplasia, cancer cells.
- 但是病变的恶性细胞 就没有这构造 - 恶性细胞,就是癌细胞
Yes, that's right.
没错
You grow normal cells in a tissue culture in a lab,
如果你在实验室培养正常细胞
and they replicate just enough to form a nice confluent monolayer
他们会慢慢汇集成单一细胞层
and then they divide 20 times or 50 times, but eventually they conk out.
然后以二十、五十倍速度分裂 但终究会停止分裂
You grow cancer cells, and they never stop.
但如果你培养的是癌细胞 他们却永不停止
No contact inhibition whatsoever. They just pile up.
没有细胞间隙构造阻止它们 他们就一直积聚
They keep replicating forever.
就这样永不止息地增生
It's got a great name. You know what it's called?
它还拥有个美名,你知道吗?
No. What? Immortality in culture.
- 是什么? - 培养皿里的永生
Oh. That sounds like a symposium.
听起来像个座谈会题目
Well, it's an error in judgment in a molecular way.
当然这是个邪恶的美名 因为它是纯粹就分子学角度而言
But why?
但是为什么呢?...
Even on a protistic level, the normal cell-cell interactions are
就连单细胞生物 细胞间的作用也都是那么微妙
so subtle, they take your breath away.
为何也都如此令人赞叹
It's incredible. It's perfect.
太不可思议,太完美了
So what's up with cancer cells? The smartest guys in the world,
那何况是癌细胞呢? 就算召集世上最顶尖的人员
the best labs, funding...
最棒的实验室、全力的赞助
They don't know what to make of it.
可能都还无法解开它的谜题
What about you? Me?
- 那你呢? - 我?
Oh. I've got some things I'm kicking around.
我目前正在研究一个主题
Wait till I get a lab of my own, if I can survive this fellowship.
等到我有一间自己的研究室... 如果我能通过这次见习的话
Oh. The part with the human beings.
这就是人为的部份了
Everybody has got to go through it, all the best researchers.
每个优秀的研究员 都要通过这一关
They want us to be able to converse intelligently with the clinicians.
他们希望我们能 和医师们能聊得上
As if researchers were the impediment.
好像我们都是结巴一样
Clinicians are such troglodytes. Just cut the crap, I say.
那些医师们活像是隐士一般 几乎是不跟人哈拉的
Are you going to be sorry when...
你曾经灰心难过...
Do you ever miss people?
你曾经失去过病人吗?
Everybody asks that, especially girls.
这问题大家都问过 尤其是女孩子
What do you tell them?
你怎么说?
I tell them, "Yes." Are they persuaded? Some.
- 我答案是肯定的 - 他们相信吗?
Some. I see. Hmm.
- 一部份 - 我懂了
And what do you say when a patient is
病人若忧虑或恐惧
apprehensive, frightened?
你要如何应付呢?
Of who?
为了什么?
Oh. I just...
我只是...
Never mind.
算了
I'm fine. Really, it's all right.
我很好 真的,我没事
You sure? I could order a test.
- 你确定?我可以再帮你安排测试... - 不
No. No. I'm fine. Just a little tired.
我很好,只是有点累了
OK.
好吧
Listen, I got to go.
我该走了
Keep pushing the fluids. Try for 2,000 a day, OK?
继续排出水分 看能不能一天两千毫升
OK.
好的
To use your word...
使用适合自己的字
"OK."
好吧
So...
所以...
the young doctor, like the senior scholar...
那年轻的菜鸟 和资深的老鸟一样
prefers research to humanity.
偏好做人性方面的研究
At the same time,
但同时...
the senior scholar in her pathetic state as simpering victim,
历经过强颜欢笑日子的资深老鸟
wishes the young doctor would take more interest in personal contact.
却又希望年轻菜鸟 能多重视与人的互动
Ah. Now I suppose we shall see how the senior scholar
现在我们要回雇看看 一个无情的老鸟
ruthlessly denied her simpering students
如何吝于给予菜鸟
the touch of human kindness she now seeks.
如同她现在渴望的那一丝关爱
How, then,
现在
would you characterize... You!
请阐明.....就是你
How would you characterize the animating force of this sonnet? Huh?
请你阐述 关于这首诗创作的原动力
In this sonnet,
在这首诗里...
what is the... What is the principal poetic device?
这首诗主要的寓意是说什么? 给你个提示
I'll give you a hint: It has nothing to do with football.
和足球无关
What propels this sonnet? Um...
这首诗的寓意为何?
You can come to this class prepared or you can excuse yourself from this class,
你要嘛就准备好再来上课 不然就别来上课
this department, and this university.
念这个系或进这学校
Do not think for a moment that I will tolerate anything in between.
别期望我会睁一只眼闭一只眼
Did I say,
我还说
"You are 19 years old. "You are so young.
“你都十九岁了 虽然还年轻”
You don't know a sonnet from a steak sandwich"?
“但你却能把十四行诗 跟牛肉三明治搞混?”
By no means.
不可思议
To scan the line properly,
为了清楚了解整首诗
we must take advantage of the contemporary flexibility
我们应该用一种现在 颇为认同的一种方式去解读
in i-o-n endings, as in "expansion."
也就是“扩张主义”
The quatrain stands:
这首四行诗就是个例子
"Our two souls therefore, which are one,
“两颗心,倘若 早已合而唯一”
"Though I must go, endure not yet
“而如今我得因故仳离”
"A breach, but an expansion
“请牢记这非决裂 而是此情再延续”
Like gold to airy thinness beat."
“如同不停锻造展延的黄金 只为留住晨露匆促的脚印”
Bear this in mind in your reading.
阅读时请牢记这个原则
That's all for today.
今天就上到这儿
You may.
请说
I need to ask for an extension on my paper.
希望你能准许 我延迟交报告的时间
I'm really sorry. I know your policy, but. Don't tell me. Your grandmother died.
- 真的很抱歉,我知道你的规矩,但是... - 别跟我说你祖母过世
You knew? It was a guess.
- 你知道了吗? - 我猜的
when it is due.
随便你怎样 但报告还是一样得准时交
I don't know. I...
不知道,我...
I feel so much...
我觉得好...
What is the word?
该用什么字呢?
I look back, and I see these scenes, and I...
当我回雇过去... 当我重温这些事时,我觉得好...
Ms. Bearing, is that you beeping at 4:00 in the morning?
- 贝宁小姐 - 是你半夜四点在按铃吗?
Did that wake you?
吵醒你了吗?
Sorry. It just gets occluded sometimes.
很抱歉 它有时候会自己关起来
I--I was awake. You were?
- 不,我醒着 - 是啊
What's the trouble, sweetheart?
怎么了,亲爱的?
Oh. I don't know.
我不知道
Can't sleep?
睡不着吗?
No.
不...
I just keep thinking.
我只是在想一些事
If you do that too much, you can get kind of confused.
别想太多 会容易精神错乱的
I know.
我知道
I can't seem to figure things out.
有些事我老想不透
I'm in a quandary, having...
我实在是进退维谷,关于...
these doubts.
这些疑虑
Well, what you're doing is very hard.
你现在接受的考验真的很艰苦
Hard things are what I like best. No, but it's not the same.
- 我最喜欢艰苦的事 - 这不一样
It's like it's out of control, isn't it?
- 这情况是无法掌控的,是吧? - 是的
I'm scared.
我...我好害怕
Honey, of course you are.
亲爱的,这是当然的
I--I--I want...
我常会惊醒
I don't feel so sure of myself anymore.
我对自己不再那么自信了
And you used to feel sure, didn't you?
你一直都很有信心的,不是吗?
Yes, yes. And I used to feel sure!
没错,我一直都是
Oh, Vivian, it's OK. It's all right.
亲爱的,你会没事的
And it hurts. I know. I know.
会有些疼痛,我知道
It's all right. It's all right. Let me just-- Hold on a sec.
没事的
Here you go. It's OK.
这给你
It's all right.
没事的
Vivian, it's OK. It's all right.
薇薇安,一切会没事的
Hey, Vivian, you want a popsicle?
薇薇安,来些冰棒如何?
Yes, please.
- 好的,谢谢 - 好
OK. I'm gonna go get one. I'll be right back, OK?
我去拿,我马上回来
The epithelial cells
我肠胃组织里的...
in my GI tract
表皮细胞
have been killed by the chemo.
也都被化学药物杀死了
The cold popsicle feels good.
吃冰棒会好一点
It's something I can digest and it helps keep me hydrated.
那是我唯一能吃的东西 同时能补充水分
For your information.
顺便告诉你们
Here you go. Thank you.
拿去吧
Here. You sure?
- 给你 - 你确定?
Mmm. Thanks. Thank you.
- 谢谢 - 谢谢你
You know, when I was a kid, we used to get these from a truck.
我们小时候常去 卖冰的小货车那儿买冰
A man would come around, and he'd ring his bell,
那个老板每次来就会摇铃
and we'd all go running over.
我们就会马上围过去
And then we'd sit on the curb and eat our popsicles.
然后就坐在路边吃着冰棒
That's pretty profound, huh?
真令人怀念
It sounds nice.
听起来不错
Vivian, there's something we need to talk about,
薇薇安 有件事我们必须讨论一下
that you need to think about.
你得好好想想
My cancer's not being cured, is it?
我的癌症还没治愈,是吧?
Mm-mm.
They never expected it to be, did they?
他们也没把握能治好,是吧?
Well, they thought the drugs would make the tumor get smaller.
他们认为药物能把肿瘤变小
And it has. It's gotten a lot smaller.
的确,它是变小了
But the problem is, it's started in other places, too.
但问题是它又转移到别处去了
And, I mean, they've learned a lot for their research, and it was the best thing It's just that there--
他们之前已经做过充分研究 也的确尽了全力医治你
there really isn't a good cure for what you have yet--
但却没有完全保证能治愈的
for advanced ovarian. Huh.
因为你得的是中后期卵巢癌
I'm sorry. They should have explained this to you.
很抱歉,他们应该告诉你的
I knew.
我已知道了
You did?
你知道?
I read between the lines.
我读过类似的报告
What you need to think about is your code status
你该先想想你的急救程式
what you want them to do, um,
他们该怎么处置你...
if your heart stops beating.
如果你心跳突然停止时
Well?
例如?
Well, you can be full code which means that if your heart stops,
你可以选择“全力抢救” 万一你心跳停止
we'll call a code blue and the code team will come in
他们会发布蓝色警戒灯 急救小组会来全力抢救
and resuscitate you and take you to intensive care until you stabilize.
把你送进加护病房 直到你病情稳定
Or you can be do
或者你可以选择
not resuscitate,
“不须抢救”
which means that if your heart stops,
万一你心跳停止...
uh, we'll just let it.
我们就会随它去
You'll be DNR.
你就不会被急救了
Now, you can think about it. But I just...
你可以想想,我只是...
I just wanted to present you with both choices
只是先告诉你有这两种选择
before Kelekian and Jason come in and talk to you.
趁柯医生和杰森 还没找你谈的时候
And you don't agree about this? They like to save lives.
- 他们不会同意吗? - 他们倾向于抢救生命
So anything's OK as long as the life continues.
只要生命能延续下去就好
Doesn't matter if you're hooked up
不管你身上已经接了多少仪器
to a million machines.
我只是... 不管你身上已经接了多少仪器
I just
我只是...
Kelekian's a great researcher. He is.
柯医生是个伟大的研究者
And the fellows like Jason, they're really smart.
他和他的见习医师 像是杰森,他们都很聪明
And it's an honor for them to be working with him.
他们都很高兴能跟着柯医生
But they always want to know more things.
但他们总想发现、学得更多
I always want to know more things.
我也总想知道得更多
I'm a scholar.
我是个学者
Or I was
曾经是...
when I had shoes...
曾经我还能穿鞋子
when I had eyebrows.
还有眉毛的时候
OK, well, that's fine. I mean, you'll be full code.
- 好,很好 - 我是说,你可以选择“全力抢救”
No.
Don't complicate the matter.
别把事情搞得更复杂
No, really, it's fine. It's up to you.
不,真的没关系 这是由你决定
Just let it stop.
就让它自己停吧
Really?
真的?
Yes.
真的
So if your heart stops beating...
万一你心跳停止...
Just let it stop.
就让它停吧
You sure?
你确定?
Yes.
是的
OK. OK.
好吧
I'll get Kelekian to give the order and then...
我会告诉柯医生 请他通令下去的
Susie? Yeah.
- 苏西 - 什么事?
You're still going to take care of me, aren't you?
你还会继续照顾我,对不对?
Of course I am.
我当然会
Don't you worry, sweetheart.
别担心,亲爱的
OK.
好了
Thank you.
谢谢
Well, that certainly was a maudlin display.
这真是感伤的一幕
Popsicles, "Sweetheart."
冰棒,亲爱的
I can't believe my life has become so corny.
真不敢相信我的生命 变得如此感伤
But it can't be helped. I don't see any other way.
但我无能为力 我没有更好的办法
We are discussing life and death,
我们讨论的是生与死
and not in the abstract either. We are discussing my life and my death.
而且不再是那么抽象了 因为我们讨论的是我的生与死
And I can't conceive of any other tone.
我实在不知道 还能用什么心情面对
Now is not the time for verbal swordplay.
现在不是咬文嚼字的时候
Nothing would be worse than a detailed scholarly analysis.
没有什么比精密的分析、见解
Erudition, interpretation, complication.
阐述、或难题更令人头痛了
No.
Now is the time for simplicity.
现在一切都要简单化
Now is the time for--
现在该是...
dare I say it--
要仁慈...
kindness.
的时候了...
And I thought being extremely smart
简而言之就是
would take care of it.
‘大彻大悟’
But I see that I have been found out. Ooh.
我知道我会被摊开来研究
I'm scared.
我好害怕
Oh! Oh, God.
天啊
I--I want...
我好想...
I want...
我好想...
No. No.
I want to hide. I just want to I just want to curl up in a little ball.
我想躲起来 我只想...只想蜷曲起来 躲进一个球里
I...I want to tell you...
我...我很想...告诉你们...
how it feels.
这种感觉
I want to explain it.
我很想...去解释它
To use my--my words...
用我自己的字
, it's as if-- like I can't.
只是...我不能...
There aren't...
没有...
I'm in t-terrible pain.
我真的好痛苦
Susie says...
苏西说过...
I need to be--be in aggressive pain management
我必须要能...承受这巨痛
if I'm going to stand it.
才能真正去停止它
"lt."
‘它’
Such a little word.
真是个简单的字
I--I think in this c-case...
我...我想对我而言
"it"
它...
signifies being alive.
它代表着存活的意思
OK. OK. OK...
好,好
We've located Dr. Kelekian, and he's on his way here.
我已经通知柯医生了 他马上赶到
And we'll get you some meds.
我们会开些药给你吃的
Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh, it's just so painful. Shh. So painful.
天啊,好痛苦
So much pain.
真的好痛苦,好痛
It's a little pump with a little button, and you press it,
是个小唧筒 上面有个按钮可以按
and you decide how much medication you want.
要多少量由你自己决定
It's very simple, and it's all up to you.
很容易操作 而且由你自行决定
OK.
可以吧?
Dr. Bearing. The pain is killing her.
贝宁小姐,苏西
Dr. Bearing... are you in pain?
贝宁小姐,你很痛吗?
I don't believe this.
真不敢相信
I want a morphine drip.
给我吗啡剂
What about patient-controlled? She could be more alert.
那止痛剂呢? 她还可以撑一下吧
Ordinarily, yes. But in her case, no.
普通情况可以 但她的情况不行
B-but I think she would really rather... She's earned a rest.
但我想她可能情愿... 她该休息了
Morphine. Ten push now and start at 10 an hour.
十毫升现在施打 一小时后再打十毫升
Dr. Bearing, try to relax. We're gonna help you through this.
贝宁小姐,放轻松 我们会尽力帮你的
Don't worry.
别担心
Dr. Bearing... Uh! Uh-huh.
贝宁小姐...
Excellent.
非常好
KELEKIAN: Susie. Will you?
苏西
Hi.
嗨..
How are you feeling today?
你好吗?
These are my last coherent lines.
这是我还算正常的台词
I'll have to...
其他表演
leave the action to the professionals.
可能得交给其他人了
It came so quickly after taking so long.
经过长久等待后 它来的竟这么得快
There's not even time for a proper conclusion.
只是...我没有时间 能做适当的结语
I trust this will have a soporific effect?
我相信这会让人眼皮沉重
Um, I don't know about that, but it sure does make you sleepy.
我不清楚 但它会让人想睡觉
What's so funny?
有什么好笑的?
What? What?
怎么了?
It's just...
只是...
It's just-- soporific means...
“眼皮沉重”就是...
"makes you sleepy."
想睡的意思
It does? Ha ha!
真的吗?
Well, that was sort of dumb. Ha ha!
我还真蠢
No, no, it was-- it was funny.
不,很有趣
Yeah? In a dumb sort of way.
是吗,是蠢的有趣吧
Well, I'm glad you explained it to me. Ha ha!
很高兴你告诉我
I never would've gotten that.
不然我可能都不知道
I'm a teacher. Ha ha!
我是个老师啊
Yeah, she was a great scholar. Wrote tons of books, articles.
她是位很杰出的学者 出过很多书和文章
She was the head of everything.
她几乎样样精通
People used to hug the walls when she passed.
任何人遇见她 无形中都会矮了一截
275, 520. Let's up the hydration.
275,520,提高水分供给
She won't be drinking anymore. See if we can keep her kidneys from fading.
反正她也不须喝水 看看能不能让肾脏保持运作
Yeah. I had a lot of respect for her,
我非常尊敬她
What do you want, dextrose? Give her saline.
葡萄糖吗? 给她生理食盐水
She gave a hell of a lecture. No notes, not a word out of place.
她不会只挑重点介绍 不会讲一些不相关的屁话
It was pretty impressive. A lot of students hated her, though.
真的很棒 虽然有些学生不喜欢她
Why? Well, she wasn't exactly a cupcake.
- 为什么? - 她不是那么轻易能跟人妥协
She hasn't exactly been a cupcake here either.
她在这儿不也是不轻易妥协吗
Now, Ms. Bearing, Jason and I are here. We're gonna insert a catheter to collect your urine.
贝宁小姐,杰森和我现在要 放一个导管好收集你的尿
It's not gonna hurt, so don't you worry. Like she can hear you.
- 不会痛的,别担心 - 好像她听的见一样
It's just nice to do. Eight cycles of Hex and Vin at the full dose.
比较妥当啊 八个疗程都用全剂量的Hex和Vin
Kelekian didn't think it was possible. Then we could really have some data.
柯医生也难以置信
She's not what I imagined, you know.
她完全不像我先前所想的
I thought someone who studied poetry would be more dreamy.
我以为研究诗歌的人 应该会比较浪漫一点
Not the way she did it.
依照她的习惯...
Her course was more like boot camp than English class.
她的课还比较像是 部队里的新训营
This guy, John Donne, was incredibly intense.
那位约翰道道恩的诗 还真的无所不在
Like, your whole brain had to be in knots before you could get it.
等你真正懂了 恐怕脑子都打结了
What, he made it hard on purpose? Well, it has to do with the subject matter.
- 他是故意写这么艰涩难懂吗? - 不,这跟他写作主题有关
The Holy Sonnets we worked on mostly were mainly about salvation anxiety.
我们念的十四行诗大多是 关于救赎的渴望
That's a term I made up in one of my papers--
这是我的报告中自创的: “救赎的渴望”
He's this brilliant guy. I mean brilliant.
他真的太厉害了 绝顶厉害
This guy makes Shakespeare sound like a Hallmark card.
他也同时提高了 莎士比亚诗的评价
And you know you're a sinner.
你会发现自己是个罪人
And there's this whole promise of salvation, the whole religious thing.
此外还有“救赎的承诺” 满宗教性的观念
But you just can't deal with it.
但还是常让人摸不着头绪
Well, how come? Because it doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
- 为什么? - 因为它经不起仔细的检视
But you can't face life without it either. So you write these screwed-up sonnets,
但你生活中又不能没有它 所以只好写了这些诗
Like a game to make the puzzle so complicated.
就像为了要让谜语 更复杂难解一样
What happens in the end?
最后结果如何呢?
The end of what? To John Donne. Does he ever get it?
- 什么结果? - 约翰道恩啊!他成功了吗?
Get what?
- 成功做什么? - 救赎的渴望啊!
The puzzle takes over. You're not even trying to solve it anymore.
谜语变得愈来愈难了 恐怕永远都无法解答了
Fascinating, really. Like, great training for lab research--
这真的很有趣 好像受过再好再多的训练
Until what? What do you mean?
- 最终呢? - 什么意思?
Well, what happens in the end? Do you ever get to solve the puzzle?
最后如何了呢? 你解决了这谜题了没有?
Nah. When it comes down to it, research is just trying to quantify
事实上到了最后,研究的目的只是...
the complications of the puzzle.
为了要衡量复杂性而已
You help people. I mean, you save lives and stuff. Well, sure, I save a guy's life.
- 你可是有在助人耶,你救过许多人的生命啊 - 我曾救过一个家伙
And the poor slob goes out and gets hit by a bus.
但他随后出去却又被公车撞
Yeah, I guess so. Guess I just don't think about it that way.
或许吧,但我不这么认为
I guess you can tell I never took a course in poetry.
你知道的,我从没修过英诗
Well, if there's one thing we learned in 17th-century poetry, you can
如果真要说 从十七世纪英诗中学到了什么
forget all about that-- all that sentimental stuff.
就是你应该忘却这些 让人多愁善感的东西
Enzyme kinetics was more poetic than Bearing's class.
酵素作用学可能还 比贝宁教授的课更富诗味
Besides, you can't just go around
还有,你不能随时...
thinking about all that meaning-of-life garbage all the time. You'd just go nuts.
都想着生命价值这些东西 不然迟早都会疯掉
Well, do you believe in it? Believe in what?
- 你相信吗? - 相信什么?
I don't know. The meaning-of-life garbage.
不知道,例如生命的价值吧
What do they teach you at nursing school?
你在护士学校都学些什么?
JASON: She's out of it. Shouldn't be too long.
她睡着了,应该不会睡太久
You done here? Yeah, I'll just tidy up.
- 好了吗? - 我清理一下
See you. Bye, Jase. This is so excellent...
- 再见了 - 再见
Vivian...
薇薇安
Vivian...
薇薇安
It's Evelyn.
我是夏娃
Vivian...
薇薇安
Oh, God.
天啊
Professor Ashford?
爱丝佛教授
Oh, God. Oh...
我的天啊
I'm in town visiting my great-grandson,
我刚好进城来探望我的曾孙
who is celebrating his fifth birthday.
他刚好过十五岁生日
I went to see you in your office,
我到你办公室找你
and they directed me here.
他们说你在这儿
I've been walking all over town.
我可是走遍了整个市区
I'd forgotten how early it gets chilly here.
我都忘了这儿天气 多早前就会转冷了
I feel so bad.
我好难受
Yes, I know you do.
我了解
I can see.
我看得出来
Oh, dear.
亲爱的
Oh. There, there.
我在这儿
There, there.
我在这儿
Oh, Vivian.
噢!薇薇安
Vivian...
薇薇安
There, there.
我在这儿
There, there, Vivian.
我在这儿,薇薇安
It's a windy day.
今天外面风很大
Don't worry, dear.
别担心,亲爱的
Let's see.
我看看...
Shall I recite something to you? Would you like that?
我念一些诗给你好吗?
I'll recite something by Donne.
我念一些道恩的诗
No. Mm-hmm.
Very well.
好吧
Let's see.
我看看...
"The Runaway Bunny" by Margaret Wise Brown.
“逃家的小白兔” 作者玛格丽特魏斯布朗
"Pictures by Clement Hurd.
插画者克莱门赫德
"Copyright 1942.
版权1942年
First HarperTrophy edition, 1972."
哈波楚非第一版 ,1972年
"Once there was a little bunny "who wanted to run away,
从前有一只小白兔想逃家
"so he said to his mother, "'I'm running away.'
它告诉兔妈妈:我要逃家
"'lf you run away,' said his mother...
如果你逃家兔妈妈说
"'I will run after you.
我就会去找你
For you are my little bunny.'"
因为你是我的小宝贝
"'lf you run after me,' "said the little bunny...
如果你来找我,小兔子说
"'I will become a fish in a trout stream
我就变成河里的一只鱼
"'and I will swim away from you.'
游泳来躲避你
"'lf you become a fish in a trout stream,' "said his mother,
如果你变成一只鱼 兔妈妈说
"'I will become a fisherman, and I will fish for you.'"
我就变成渔夫等着抓你
Oh. Look at that.
你看看
A little allegory of the soul.
关于灵魂的小寓言
Wherever it hides God will find it.
无论它如何躲藏 上帝都会找到它的
See, Vivian?
是吧,薇薇安
"'lf you become a fisherman,' "said the little bunny...
如果你变成渔夫 小兔子说
"'I will be a bird and fly away from you.'
那我就变成鸟儿躲避你
"'lf you become a bird "and fly away from me,' "said his mother,
如果你变成鸟儿 兔妈妈说
"'I will be a tree that you come home to.'"
我就变成你歇脚的那棵树
Ohh. Very clever.
真聪明
"'Shucks,' said the little bunny.
小兔子说
"'I might just as well stay where I am
我还是待在这儿
"and be your little bunny.'
做你的小宝贝好了
And so he did."
果真如此
"'Have a carrot,' said the mother bunny."
来根红萝卜吧,兔妈妈说
Wonderful.
写的真好
Time to go.
我该走了
"And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest." Mm-hmm. Mm-hmm.
“愿天使的歌声伴着你入眠”
Professor Bearing, how you feeling today?
贝宁博士,今天好吗?
Oh. Well, that's it.
摄取两千,排出三十
Kidneys gone.
完了,肾脏完了
Professor Bearing?
贝宁博士
"Highly unresponsive."
极度无反应
Wait a sec.
等等
4575 Jeez, 4-5-6. 4-5-6.
Code blue, room 707. Code blue, room 707.
707室蓝灯警戒
Dr. Posner, P-o-s-n-e-r. Hurry up.
我是波斯纳医生,请快过来
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.
一、二、三、四.....
She's DNR! She's research.
- 她是“放弃抢救”病患 - 她可是研究物件
She's no code!
她放弃抢救
Jason! She's no code!
杰森,她放弃抢救
Kelekian put the order in. And you were right there. You saw it yourself!
柯医生亲自下令的 你也在场,你也听到的
God. the code.
该死的警戒...
4-5-7-5. Cancel code, room 707.
707室取消警戒
MAN: I got it.
不,波斯纳医师他...
I got it. Move the bed. No, no, no, no. The patient is no code.
我来了,我来了 不,不,病人是放弃急救者
She's DNR! Let's go. Let's move it.
- 病人是放弃急救者 - 来吧,快
SUSIE: The patient is DNR! OK, unit staff clear! The patient is no code! She has no pulse.
- 病人是放弃急救者 - 清空
The patient is no code... Get that board under. Let's roll her. Ready? I'm the doctor...
- 病人已经放弃急救,这已经下令过了 - 板子拿来,把她翻过来
SUSIE: Stop it! WOMAN: She's charging.
停止
Please listen to me. JASON: No.
听我说
Keep it going. Bicarb amp...
命令已经下了
She's do not resuscitate!
别再急救了
Move out of the way. Go!
- 执行急救程序,快点 - 病人是放弃急救者
MAN: Still no reading, no pulse...
- 她已放弃急救了 - 没有脉搏
Clear!
- 清空,电击 - 听着
JASON: Hey. Hey, listen, I made a mistake! No code. The patient is no code!
- 是我搞错了 - 不急救,病人是放弃急救的
Who the hell are you? I'm Sue Monahan. I'm the primary nurse.
- 你是哪位? - 苏默纳罕,护士长
Let me see the Goddamn chart. Should we stop?
病历表给我
The patient is no code. Just get away from her.
她已放弃急救,别再打扰她了
"Do not resuscitate. Kelekian."
“放弃急救病患,柯医生”
The order was put in yesterday.
命令是昨天下的
It's a doctor screw-up. What is he, a resident?
- 结果是医生搞错了 - 他是住院医师吗?
Got us up here on a DNR.
叫我们上来抢救 “放弃急救病患”
Called a code on a no-code.
还发布蓝色警戒灯...
BEARING: "Death
死亡
be not proud,
不是件荣耀
though some have called thee "Mighty and dreadful,
虽然人们视你为 敬畏可怕的象征
for, thou art not so,"
但你完全不是如此
"For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
因为,那些视你为天敌者 并未逝去
"Die not, poor Death,
可悲的死亡啊
nor yet canst thou kill me.
你将永不能奈我何
"Thou art slave to Fate, Chance, kings,
那些君王、臣服于命运机会
and desperate men,
绝望的人,才是你的主人
"And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
你带来了剧毒、战争和疾病
"And poppy, or charms can make us sleep as well,
就连睡前聆听的那些蜚言咒语
And better than thy stroke;"
也胜过你轻轻的抚慰
"why swell'st thou then;"
你还有什么得以自豪呢
"One short sleep past,
我虽只有这短暂的一眠
we wake eternally,
醒来却已然成就永生
"And death shall be no more,"
死亡将不复有
comma.
“逗点”
"Death thou shalt die!"
死亡,将永远消失
剧终