珍妮的画像 Portrait of Jennie

上映日期: 1,948

语言: 英语

影片类型: 剧情 / 爱情 / 悬疑 / 奇幻

导演: 威廉·迪亚特尔

演员: 珍妮弗·琼斯 / 约瑟夫·科顿 / 埃塞尔·巴里摩尔


台词
Since the beginning,
早在宇宙诞生的时候…
Man has looked into the awesome reaches of infinity
人类就一直在探寻这世界上无穷的奥妙…
and asked the eternal questions :
和那些永恒的问题
"What is time? What is space?
时间是什么?宇宙又是什么?
"What is life? What is death?"
人生是什么?死亡又为何物?
Through a hundred civilisations,
历经百年的文明…
philosophers and scientists have come with answers.
哲学家和科学家们提出了很多答案
But will doubt remains,
可是迷惘依旧存在…
for each human soul must find the secret of its own faith.
因为每个人的灵魂都因为有自身的信念而导致不同的见解
The tender and haunting legend of a portrait of Jennie
珍妮的肖像这个古老而又神秘的传说…
is based on the two ingredient of faith :
也正是基于信念的两个因素
truth and hope.
真理和希望
There is such a portrait hung in the Metropolitan Museum in New York.
确实有这么一幅肖像挂在纽约的首都博物馆
And there was such a girl named Jennie who sat for it.
而画里的女孩也确实就叫做珍妮
So much is true.
这一切都是真实的
For the rest, science tells us that nothing ever dies,
其余的,科学家也解释说有很多东西确实是不死的…
but only changes.
它们只会随着时间的流逝而改变
But time itself does not,pass, but curves along us.
时间自己并不会走,它们其实一直都在我们身边
And the past and the future are together on our side forever.
因此过去和未来其实一直都静静的呆在我们的身侧
Out of the shadows of knowledge
在所谓的知识所不能触摸到的角落里…
and out of a painting hung on a museum wall comes our story.
而我们的故事就这样从那幅博物馆里的画开始
The truth of which lies not on our screen,
真理并不在我们的演出里…
but in your heart.
而是在你自己的心里
And now, Portrait of Jennie.
现在,就让我们一起来欣赏《珍妮的画像》吧
New York is a cold place.
冬天的纽约是个很寒冷的城市
It was no warmer in the winter of 1934.
即使在最冷的冬天也没有暖炉
Yet there is a type of suffering for the artist,
当然,这对那些艺术家可是一种难言的折磨…
which is worse than any winter or part of it can do.
没有比贫穷的冬天更糟糕的了
It is more like a winter of the mind.
更确切的说是心灵的冬天
Dreadful feeling of the worlds indifference.
世界看起来也是可怕的冷漠
My courage had all run out.
我的勇气就在这样的冬天里一点点流失
Yes Sir, What can I do for you?
是的,先生,有什么能帮你的吗?
Well you can buy one of my pictures perhaps
也许你可以买我的一张画,这就是对我最大的帮助了
Yes, but we buy very very little, almost nothing.
是的,可是我们很少买画,应该说几乎没买过
Times being what they are.
可是那毕竟是以前不买,也许现在可以买些
However, let me see what you have.
不管怎么说,先看看你的画吧
- landscapes.- Most like here,
- 风景画 - 绝大部分是
too bad.
那可不妙
These are the things I did in Cape Cod.
这里有些是我在寇德海角画的
These are the fisheries in North Truro.
那是在阙若的渔场画的
Land's End.
陆地之巅
Hmm, landscapes.
是啊,陆地
Theres some sketches of the city.
还有一些这个城市的素描
Thats the bridge.
这就是那座桥
There is a good bridge, but I just don't happen to like bridges
那是个不错的桥,只可惜我个人不太喜欢桥
They come everyday by a dozen
他们每天都一堆堆的出现
Miss Spinney, you stuffled me.
你可吓着我了
This is my partmer, Miss Spinney.
这是我的合伙人,史彼妮小姐
I don't think I caught your name.
我简直不敢相信我竟然忘了你的名字
I didn't say it.
我还没告诉你我叫什么
My name is Eben Adams.
我叫埃本·亚当斯
- What are you so défensive about? - I'm not.
- 你干吗那么自我保护的样子? - 我没有
"I am Eben Adams." Has to be better if you weren't.
“我叫埃本.亚当斯”,如果不是就最好了
You eat more.
你该多吃点东西
Don't be in such a hurry. Lets see what you got here.
别急着走,让我看看你都画了些什么
Nothing that can interest you and your partner.
我没画什么值得你和你的合伙人感兴趣的
You are probably right. I like to see what interests you.
你说的很对,我只是对你感兴趣的东西比较感兴趣而已
Sit down, Adams.
请坐吧,亚当斯
Maybe you do not sell anything, but be sure rest.
你可以什么都不卖,但至少你可以坐下来歇会儿
I would advise you to sit.
我觉得你还是坐一下的好
- You paint nice flowers. - Thank you.
- 你的花画的很好 - 谢谢
- Have you read Robert Browning? - Long time ago.
- 你有没有读过罗伯特的书吗 - 很久以前读过
Do you remember his poem about Andrea del Sarto, the perfect painter?
你还记得他写的诗吗?那个最伟大的画家?
Proportion, anatomy, colour,
比例,剖析,色彩
it had everything and nothing.
他可以很自如的运用这些
He painted a perfect hand
他画的好极了
A Raphaël drew a famous claw.
而拉夫尔一生之中画了无数的佳作
Raphaël loved his work.
我更喜欢拉夫尔的作品
Poor Andy del Sarto.
可怜的安蒂的
I think I get your point.
我想我明白了你的意思
There isn't a proper love in any of these.
你的画里毫无情感可言,他们只是个死物
- Come on Miss Spinney. - Don't be soft, Matthews.
- 真的吗?史彼妮小姐 - 别假装不知道,马休斯
I am an old maid, nobody knows more about love than an old maid.
我是个老女人了,没人能比我这样的老女人更了解爱这种东西了
Whats the matter with you, Adams?
你自己觉得呢?亚当斯?
You have to learn to care deeply to do something.
你应该学会如何真正的为一种东西心动,担心
Now take the flower.
我们会买下这幅画
I have a weakness for flowers. He doesn't do them too badly.
我刚好对花都很喜欢,再说你也画的不差
If its done 12,50 $ for. Any arguement, there is no sales.
$12.50买这幅画,如果你有异议的话那就罢了
No arguements.
当然没有异议了
You pay him, Mr. Matthews.
你给他钱,马休斯先生
Do you have a change for 1 $?
你有没有一块钱零钱?
I haven't got a dime.
我身无分文
You lose 50 cents.
那他就欠我们50美分吧
If you want more flowers, I can't cower than a home.
如果你还想买花的画,我那里还有一大卡车的画
I was afraid of that. Good Day.
我可不这么想,希望你今天可以过个愉快的一天
Thank you very much. Good Day, Miss Spinney.
谢谢你,祝你开心,史彼妮小姐
I don't think you really wanted the picture.
我觉得其实你并不是真的想要买这幅画
If I hadn't wanted it, I wouldn't have taken it.
如果我不想买的话我就不会买了
You have beautiful eyes. Good Bye.
你有一双很美的眼睛,再见
Dear, I am afraid that the picture isn't worth more than a couple of dollars.
噢,亲爱的,我不觉得那幅画值那么多的钱
I know, but Adams is.
是啊,画不值,可人值
Yes, but we are supposed to do business for profit, Miss Spinney.
是的,可是你好像忘了我们开店是为了赚钱,史彼妮小姐
I thought.
我当然知道
I bought this for myself.
这幅画的钱我自己付
Its wonderful what a little compliment can do.
如果一点点的赞美就能扶起一个大师
My first in 20 years, Mr. Matthews.
即使再花个20块也是值得的,马休斯先生
At last I had a little money in my pocket.
最终,我的兜里总算有了点钱
But I think I was a little light headed, for not having enough to eat.
可我觉得有点头重脚轻的,大概是因为没吃什么东西吧
Suddenly, I had the awareness of something extraordinary.
突然间,我感觉到了一些异样的事情
The city sounds were mutated far away.
城市的纷嚣似乎离我很远了
They seem to come from another time,
这似乎到了另一个世界一般…
like the sound of summer in a meadow long age.
就好像是很久以前的夏天的牧场一般
Its mine.
那是我的
Isn't anybody there with you?
没人和你一起吗?
No, why should there be?
没有,为什么一定要有人陪着我?
Getting pretty dark, won't you go home?
现在很晚了.你不要回家吗?
I don't have to go home yet, nobody is ready for me.
我现在还不一定得回家,家里没人
Anyway, you are with me.
再说了,你不也在这里陪我吗?
I am Jennie.
我叫珍妮
- Jennie, Jennie what? - Jennie Appleton.
- 珍妮,珍妮什么? - 珍妮·阿普尔顿
Father and mother actor and actresses.
我的爸爸妈妈都是演员
They are working on a Hammerstein tutorial.
他们在哈姆瑟廷工作
- They do juggling on a rope. - What did you say, Hammerstein?
- 他们是杂技演员 - 你是说哈姆瑟廷?
Hmm, why?
嗯,怎么了?
Because it was stolen dry years ago when I was a boy
因为几年以前那就已经倒闭了,那个时候我还是个孩子呢
You must be thinking of some other place because I was there yesterday
你说的也许是别的地方,因为我昨天都还在那里
- Oh now really... - Now let me see your pictures Mister.
- 好吧,那么,真的… - 让我看看你的画,先生
Adams.
亚当斯
- How do you know that they are pictures? - I just know.
- 你怎么知道这里面的是画? - 我就是知道
There are often little windows in such a big church.
那么大的教堂配上那么小的窗子,那看起来很奇怪
There have to be little, there is so much wind in Cape Cod.
窗子必须是这样小,寇德海角的风很大
I don't like it, it scares me.
我不喜欢,它看起来很吓人
- The wind? - No, the black water.
- 你是说风吓着你了? - 不,是那黑色的水
There should be a lighthouse at the end of the ocean.
原本在大洋边的是浅色的房子
Yes there should be. How did you know?
是的,原本是的,你怎么知道的??
I don't exactly remember.
我也记不清楚了
Someday I'll show it to you. How are they on the rock
某天,我在给你看吧,就在那个岩石上
- The Land's End light. - You said you didn't remember
- 陆地之巅 - 我还以为你不知道呢
I don't, I just know.
我也不明白,我就是知道了
Wish I like your pictures, but I don't.
我也希望我会喜欢你的画,可惜事实上我不喜欢
Thats what everybody says. Thats why I can't sell them.
大家都这么说的,这也就是为什么没人买我的画
Maybe you shouldn't paint places. Why don't you paint people instead?
也许你不太适合画风景,为什么不试试看画些人呢?
Cecily Browns too much full of pictures of people.
赛西利·布朗的家里挂满了各种各样的人物肖像
- Who's Cecily Brown? - She is my best friend.
- 赛西利·布朗,是谁? - 她是我最好的朋友
I go to school everyday now, but only in the mornings.
现在我每天都要上学,但只是早上上学
What do you learn?
那你都学了些什么?
Well, yesterday we learnt about Kaiser. He is the king of Germany.
昨天我们学了恺撒大帝,他是德国的皇帝
He was a long time ago.
是的,很久以前是
You are wrong.
你错了
Cecily Brown's father is in Germany now, he sees him all the time.
赛西利的爸爸在德国,他一直都看到那个恺撒大帝
He says the Kaiser rides around in a white horse
他还说恺撒骑在一匹白马…
and he likes to fight.
而且他喜欢战争
I can fight too. I can fight Cecily.
我也会打架,我经常和赛西利打架
She is bigger but I'm stronger. I can fight a girl.
她很强壮,可我也不赖,我们两打架总是我赢
But you said Cecily Brown is your best friend.
可你说赛西利·布朗是你的好朋友
She is.
她确实是
Its funny to have someone to play with. Don't you know anybody to play with?
有个人可以陪你玩真的很好,你有没有人陪你玩?
No.
没有
Well, I'm afraid I have to go now.
我想我得走了
Well its little lot I told you about myself.
现在都没有什么人了,就我一个人在这里
So I will walk away with you, if you don't mind.
那我和你一起走吧,如果你不介意的话
I know a song. Would you like to hear it?
我会唱一首歌,你想不想听?
I love to.
当然啦
Where I come from
我从哪里来
nobody nows
没有人知道
And where I am going
我去的那儿
everything nows
所有的都要
When wind blows
海风吹
when it snows
海浪涌
Nobody nows
没有人知道
And where I am going
我要去哪儿
nobody nows
没有人知道
- Who taught you that? - Nobody, Its just a song.
- 谁教你的?- 没人教我,这就是一首歌而已
- Do you know the game I like to play best? - Whatta?
- 你知道我最喜欢玩什么游戏吗?- 什么?
Its a wishing game.
许愿的游戏
- I'll tell you what I wish most. - What do you wish?
- 我来告诉你我最想的愿望吧 - 你希望什么?
You first have to close your eyes and turn around three times.
首先呢,你要闭上你的眼睛,然后转三圈
I wish that you will wait for me to grow up
我希望你可以等我,等我长大
so that we can always be together.
这样我们就可以永远在一起了
Did you know what I guessed.
可是你不会答应的,我想
I can't talk anymore. Good bye.
我不能在和你聊了,我要回去了,再见
- I'll get your parcel. - Oh! Thank you.
- 我去帮你拿,- 谢谢你
Funny kind of a kid.
真是个有趣的小家伙
Jennie!
珍妮
- Is that you, Mr. Adams? - Yes Mrs. Jekes.
- 是你吗?亚当斯先生? - 是我,杰克丝女士
You are always coming so extremely quiet, I can hardly hear you Mr. Adams.
你总是没声没息的进来,我几乎听不到你进门的声音
- So thoughtful of my other tenants. - I didn't want to disturb anyone.
- 如果别的房客也和你一样善解人意就好了 - 我不希望打扰任何人
Of course not, by a fine gentleman like you.
当然是啦,像你这样一个好心的绅士
- Will 5$ do for a while? - It won't do, but I'll take.
- 5美元可以了吗? - 不需要这么多,但是还是谢谢了
- I will get some more for you soon. - I will better see that you do.
- 希望我很快就可以把欠你的那些还你 - 但愿如此
I also thought you will be interested in another of my sketches.
我想也许你对我的素描并不怎么感兴趣吧--
Oh! No. My bathroom is full of now.
我的浴室已经挂满了你的素描了
Where will I put in another one? In my parlour?
我还有什么地方可以放那些画?难不成要放到走廊里?
No, I wasn't expecting anything like that.
不,我不希望我的画遭受那样的待遇
You certainly have a way, Mrs Jekes.
你一定有办法的,杰克丝夫人
Play with him like a cat and a mouse, and then you pounce.
就像玩猫捉老鼠的游戏一样,玩够了就扑上去
But he is attractive, isn't he? And a gentleman besides.
可他相当迷人,不是吗?而且还是个好心的绅士
That makes it so hard to throw him out.
这也是为什么我狠不下心来把他赶走
But he is an honourable to your house, Mrs. Jekes.
可他只不过是你房子的装饰而已
Just can't understand a man fiddling away his time just painting things naked.
很难想象一个男人靠画画就可以维持他的生活
Of course, he did shovel snow to pay for last months rent.
当然他也有尽力付清上个月的房租
Painting things, women?
画画?女人?
Women without...
一个女人…
Mrs. Bounce, we agreed he is a gentleman, gentlemen just don't paint women without..."
我们都同意他是个绅士,他们只是不画那些女人
No, of course not.
不,当然不会
Somehow they tuned the little girl sang straight in my mind.
可是那个小女孩唱的歌一直在我的脑海里回响
And I thought of the last thing she said to me,
而我一直在想她对我说的最后一件事情…
about waiting for her to grow up.
那个愿望,那个叫我一直等她的愿望
But people can't wait for other people to grow up.
可是没人可以等待那么漫长的成长
There is something different about that child.
可那个女孩就是有些不一样
I wondered if my pencil can catch it.
我希望我可以把她画下来
- Hi Ya Mac. - Good Morning, Gus.
- 你好啊,麦克 - 早上好,格斯
Morning is it? You slept it all away.
不错的早晨,不是吗?你都快把这么好的一个早晨给睡过去了
Gone forever, What a grand morning it was too.
它不会永远存在的,这可是一个很重要的早晨啊
I worked pretty late last night. I didn't get to sleep at dawn.
我昨晚工作到很晚,直到凌晨才睡
Had your breakfast yet?
你吃了早餐没?
Well, No.
还没呢
How about having some lunch with me?
和我共进午餐怎么样?
No, No, not going to eat on you, Gus, you have to work too hard for your money.
我可不希望你请我吃饭,格斯 ,你赚的可是血汗钱
Wait a minute. I got some money of my own.
等等,我已经赚了一小笔钱了
- No kidding. - I sold a picture yesterday. 12,50 $.
- 别开玩笑了 - 我昨天卖了一张画,赚了12.5块
- Well, pretty a new! - Today, you're having lunch on me.
- 哇,好消息? - 今天你可以吃我请的午餐了
Its a great pleasure, Mac.
那可太好了,麦克
Just come along a minute while I picked up the hack, we will soon be on our road.
等我把这个修好,我们很快就可以去了
You know Gus, I can't get you at all.
你知道,格斯,我几乎不了解你
Why should you care if I eat?
你干吗那么在乎我有没有吃东西?
Well, may be I don't want to see people go hungry.
也许是因为不喜欢看到有人挨饿吧
Let me put it this way, Mac:
这么说吧,麦克:
I got a lot of respect for a guy thats doing what he's got to do,
我对那些坚持自己的人生抉择的人很敬佩
even if may be its killing.
即使他的坚持会毁了他
You want to paint pictures...
你喜欢画画,所以
you go on right ahead doing it.No matter.
你就这么坚持的描绘你的人生,不管别人怎么想
I like that, Mac! You know most of the times, fellows get the ideas that there is nothing much to life except,
我喜欢你这一点,麦克!很多时候,一些人的人生态度就只是人生毫无目的
getting through what is easy and comfortable as he can.
他们只是希望尽可能的舒适的过他们的人生
Making a quarter here a dollar there.
这里赚一点钱,那里赚一点钱
Eating, sleeping and dying.
吃啊,睡啊,然后等死
then a fellow like you comes along,
而你却不一样…
who's not thing too much about them things.
你对物质并不要求太高
That makes you wonders.
这一点让你看起来很有思想
Wonder that may be you are not missing something.
也许没有对物质的欲望
Up in. I like to recommend my friend Moore
上车吧,我想去看看我的老朋友摩尔了
and his corn beef and cabbage.
还有他那咸牛肉和大白菜了
It's almost like home. You couldn't pay me these anywhere else.
那里就像家一样温馨,除了那里我哪也不想去
- Sorry Mac. - No it's all right.
- 抱歉,麦克 - 没关系
Ah! Well.
噢,那好吧
You taking to wear scarves?
这该不会是你的丝巾吧?
That isn't mine. I found it.
那不是我的,是我捡到的
belongs to a little girl I met at the park.
那是一个我在公园里遇到的一个小姑娘落下的
- pretty big scarf for a little girle. - Funny kid.
- 这个围巾可不像是一个小姑娘用的 - 那是一个很有趣的小家伙
She said her parents were acrobats at Hammerstein in Victoria.
她说她的父母是走钢丝的杂技演员,在维多利亚的哈姆瑟廷
- Hammerstein was turned down years ago. - Of course it was.
- 哈姆瑟廷几年前就关闭了 - 是这样没错
- But she said she was there yesterday. - Yeah! lest kids straight.
- 可她说昨天她都还去那里了 - 那该不是你自己想象出来的小姑娘吧?
All ways dreaming up something.
你总是喜欢胡思乱想
What would you know about.
你又知道了?
Sarah Bernhardt came to America for a farewell tour.
莎拉·伯恩哈特赴美举行告别演出
- Sarah Bernhardt? - Are you gone crazy.
- 莎拉·伯恩哈特? - 不可能
"Sarah Bernhardt, distinguished French tragedienne,
莎拉·伯恩哈特,著名的法国悲剧女伶
"arrive next month."
将于下月抵达
Let me see.
让我看看
Oh! That is what it says.
啊!原来如此
Say this paper is dated 1910.
这张报纸是1910年的
1910? Where do you pick up an old paper like that?
1910年?你从哪找到这么旧的报纸?
The girl in the park had it. Her scarf was wrapped in it.
这张报纸是公园里的那个女孩的,她用来包裹丝巾
Gus, read that ad.
格斯,读读这条广告
"Hammersteins Victoria."
维克多利亚之哈姆瑟廷
EVA TANGUAY - The American comedienne
伊娃·谭圭——美国喜剧女伶
WILL ROGERS - Expert lariat thrower
威尔·罗格斯——掷套索专家
LES APPLETON Novelty high wire act
莱斯·阿普尔顿惊险的高空走钢丝秀
- What about it? - Just what she said.
- 这是什么? - 和她说的一样
- I didn't get you. - She said her name is Jennie Appleton.
- 我不懂你在说什么 - 她说她的名字叫珍妮·阿普尔顿
So?
那又怎样?
Now that I think of it,
现在我想起来了
she wasn't dressed the kids are now.
她现在的打扮不会像那个孩子
Now Mac, you are not trying to believe this kid, Are you?
麦克,你不会相信这个孩子吧,是不是?
- Of course not. - Ok, Ok, eat your lunch.
- 当然相信 - 好的,好的,吃你的午餐吧
As my mother used to say :
就像我妈妈曾经说过:
"If you got too little in your stomach, you got too much in your head."
如果你吃得太少,那是因为你想得太多
I see.
我明白
You think I'm imaging things.
你以为这些都是我凭空想象出来的
No, no, Gus, she was real enough all right.
不,不, 格斯,她绝对是真实的
I saw her.
我看见她
Whats more, I'll draw her for you.
而且,我还要为你把她画下来
- Hi, Gus. - Hi, Mac?
- 嗨,格斯 - 嗨,麦克?
Meet my friend Mac, back here as the owner of the joint.
这是我的朋友麦克
- Hello, M. Moore. - Can you think I'm richer?
- 你好,莫尔先生 - 你以为我是有钱人?
- Can't be bad. - Glad to hear you say.
- 反正不坏 - 很高兴听你这么说
- You, Gus, everything all right? - Sure, sure I guess so.
- 怎么样,格斯,一切可好? - 是的,我猜是的
What do you mean I guess so? Anything wrong?
“我猜是的”是啥意思?出什么事了?
No, no, it is not.
不,不,没事
- Is the food all right? - Sure, sure.
- 今天的菜怎样? - 很好,很好
And whats great in it?
好在哪?
I don't like to say this, Mac. You are not the sort of man I like to hurt.
我不想说的,麦克,我不想伤了你这样人的心
But if you don't see me around for a while, don't be surprised.
但如果你有一阵见不到我,别太吃惊
I thought I may start eating down with Nicks for a change.
我想我可能改成到尼克斯吃
- Nick? - Yeah.
- 尼克 - 对
Nicks?
尼克斯?
Whats wrong with Nicks!
尼克斯怎么了!
no, nothings the matter with Nicks.
没,尼克斯没什么
I suppose you'd like their paper plates?
我猜你可能喜欢他们的纸盘?
So you are going to start eating down at Nicks.
所以你打算开始到尼克斯吃
- Should I say what happened. - Beautiful day.
- 我不想解释 - 多么美好的一天
It is more.
非常好
So you are going to start eating down at Nick?
所以你打算开始去尼克吃
Yeah, I thought I might.
对,我想可能
It takes all kind of people to make a world. All change.
所有人都需要创造一个世界,一切都变了。
And some of them hasn't the face of friendship or loyalty.
其中一些人没有友谊或忠诚的面孔
Fellow likes a change once in a while.
人人都爱喜新厌旧
A change from what?
没有旧那有新?
Lets say this room that joy that its dark in here.
比如这个可爱的房间有点暗
Dark?
暗?
Your'e not breaking it up. Breaking up the joint, Mac.
你没有突破,突破现状,麦克
- What would you want me to do? - Well I don't know Mac, I hadn't got that far.
- 你想我做什么呢? - 嗯,我不知道麦克,我没想那么远
Suppose I could hang these three pitcher in there.
可能我会装三根投棒在这里
You know its a crying shame
你知道这太掉价了
you couldn't have a whole scene painted right on the wall.
你不愿在这面墙上挂一整幅画
Of course I know that can't be done.
我当然知道这没有用
Why can't it be done?
为什么没用?
Didn't you ever tell a murals?
你从没考虑过壁画?
Pictures painted onto a wall.
画在墙上的画
Is that right Mac, is it possible to paint a picture,right on the wall?
对吧麦克,可以在这面墙上画一幅画吧?
Yes its possible. Its done all the time.
是的,可以,还能保存很久
See, you do mocks?
看,你觉得好笑?
As a matter of fact this wall will blend itself to a mural very nicely.
事实上,这面墙将很好地和壁画融为一体
On look what are we seeking now !
正是我们现在想寻找的样子!
Here we get one of the grandest artist with the whole world sitting right at the table,
现在全世界最伟大的艺术家之一,正和我们坐在同一样桌子上
why don't we ask him to do something? You could sqeeze it in, Mac.
为什么我们不请他来画呢?你一定能轻松完成,麦克
You could squeeze it in between you other commissions.
你可以在众多定单之中帮个手
Well, I don't know.
这个,我不知道
You could drop in here say around noon time sometime.
你可以在中午时间顺便来这画一画
It won't cost you a cent.
不会花你一分钱
Excuse me Mister. I am going to post this.
对不起先生,我要去挂这个了
Lost him, had him in our roast.
欲擒故纵,他跑不了
Let it go, Gus, don't say anymore about it.
算了,格斯,别再提这事了
ST-PATRICK'S DAY - DINNER & DANCE
圣帕特里克节——晚餐和舞会
Up the rebels!
起义!
Three Cheers, Mac!
万岁,万岁,万岁,麦克!
Have you ever seen Mick Collins?
你见过麦克·柯林斯吗?
I never did, and often regretted it.
从没见过,我常常后悔
Here's what you should do Mac.
你应该这样办,麦克
Right over the bar here, a painted up Michael Collins.
就在这个吧台上面,画上迈克尔·柯林斯
Mick Collins himself
麦克·科林斯本人
and he leading his men in the battle against the might of England.
领导人民与大英帝国作战
Just a minute, Gus.
等一下,格斯
Why man over here will be the greatest thing that hit this stall.
人们一定会为了争睹这幅画而纷纷到来
Who's here would be the valiant piece for every Irish patriot who come.
每一位爱尔兰爱国者都会到此膜拜这部英勇之作
Why man you wouldn't have stand alone here at the bar.
这样你就不会让坐吧台的人太孤单了
And it wouldn't cost you a cent.
而这不花你一分钱
- It sounds kind of interesting. - Here's how I see it.
- 这个点子听起来很有趣 - 这是我想像的
Or should I say how my friend Mac here sees it.
或者应该说是我朋友麦克想像的
Its an early dawn in a small hill in Ireland.
清晨时分,在爱尔兰的一座小山上
There on a carpet of shavlock
这里有一块夏维洛克地毯
under an old elm stands Mick Collins.
麦克·柯林斯站在一棵老榆树下
Leaning on his skull wig for zero hour.
大义凛然,视死如归
All the Murphys, Flannegan and O'Shea awaiting with them.
所有爱尔兰子民等待着他
In a brief moment Mick himself will lead them in a battle
期待麦克一声令下带领他们去战斗
and lead them to victory.
去赢得胜利!
Up the rebels !
起义!
You better paint it, Mr. Adams !
你一定要画,亚当斯先生!
Up the rebels !
起义!
- What's this? - Sketch of a little girl I saw in the park.
- 这是什么? - 我在公园里见到的一个小女孩的素描
Very good. Isn't it, Miss Spinney?
非常好,是不是,史彼妮小姐?
Yes, I think you have something there, Adam.
是的,我认为你有某种天赋,亚当
- Do you know why I like it? - Why?
- 你知道我为什么喜欢它? - 为什么?
Its the quality of the girl which reminds me of long ago.
这个女孩的气质让我想起很久以前
And there's ought to be something timeless about a woman.
一个女人一定拥有某种超越时间的特质
Something eternal. You can see it all the great portraits of the past.
某种永恒的东西,你可以在过去所有伟大的肖像画中发现这一点
They make you feel you could meet those women anywhere
让你感觉你可以在任何地方遇见那些女人
and be inspired by them.
让你心潮澎湃
Well then, Mr. Adams,
那么,亚当斯先生
I will tell you what I do, I'll take the sketch.
告诉你吧,我想买下这幅素描
I give you 25$ for it, and I don't care what Miss Spinny says.
我给你25美元买下它,我才不管史彼妮小姐说什么
I'm not going to say anything.
我不会说什么的
Now Adams, you can stop feeling sorry for yourself.
那么亚当斯先生,你可以停止内疚了
Now things are looking up.
现在事事都好了
Getting three meals a day for painting a mural,
画一幅壁画得一日三餐
and now, 25$,thank you, for a sketch.
现在又有人25美元买一幅素描,谢谢你
A sketch, well, thank you.
一幅素描啊,谢谢你
- Where're you going now? - Nowhere, anywhere.
- 你现在要去哪儿? - 哪儿,哪里
Where I come from nobody knows.
我从哪里来,没有人知道
Where I'm going, anything goes.
我去的那儿,所有的都要
- What's that? - That's a song the girl sang in the park.
- 这是什么? - 这是那个公园里的女孩唱的歌
Well, we don't know where you are coming
那么,虽然我们不知道你来自哪里
or going but would you like to have a tea?
或者去哪里,不过你介意喝一杯茶吗?
I'll be happy to do.
我很乐意
Come along.
来吧
- Thank you. - See you later, Mr. Matthews.
- 谢谢你 - 再见,马休斯先生
Oh! Yes, as you say, Miss Spinney.
噢!是的,正如你所说,史彼妮小姐
No, I've not skated since I was a kid in Maine.
不,自从我小时候在缅因州就再也没滑过雪了
- You where brought up in Maine? - South Paris, Maine. thats where they are?
- 你在缅因州长大的? - 缅因州南巴黎,他们在那儿?
Nice little town. Rivers, lakes, mountains.
很美的小镇,有河、湖,还有山
My father had a general store till he died.
我父亲开一间杂货铺,直到去世
My mother died a few years later,
几年后我母亲也死了
and I work for two three years of college.
我上了二、三年大学
- Facinating, no? - I think its interesting.
- 很有趣,不是吗? - 我认为挺有趣
I wannt to ask you right about something.
我正想问你些事
I don't feel sorry for myself, the way you said.
我并不如你说的感到内疚
I'm facing a very practical problem.
我遇上一个很现实的问题
That is something. An artist facing practical problem.
这就是,一个艺术家面临的实际问题
Not the kind you think. I don't mind being hungry.
不是那种你以为的问题,我不担心饥饿
I don't even care to entice the land lady.
我甚至不在乎逗房东太太开心
But I do know this way artists
我知道要成为真正的艺术家
have to endure more than I have.
需要忍受比我现在更多的东西
But they knew they had something.
但他们知道他们拥有什么
You can take a lot if you know that.
如果你知道那是什么,你就可以取之不尽
Do you know I think I am why? should I believe it
你认为我知道我是谁吗?我应该相信它吗?
all the thousands of struggling artists,
所有成千上万的艺术家在奋斗
I am one who has something worth saying?
我只是其中一份子,我有值得说的吗?
Relax, Adams.
放轻松,亚当斯
Come and sit down, it irritates me if you go on walking.
坐下来吧,你走来走去的教我分心
You know, something about you appears to me.
你知道,就我能看到你的表现
I can't imagine what.
我无法相像更多
I think you are like the beau I wanted when I was young.
我认为你很像我年轻时向往的男友
When I was doubting myself.
当时我正怀疑自己
- Not you too? - Even me.
- 你也这样? - 我也怀疑
Look where its brought me.
看看结果如何
Just a frustrated old maid lettering a frustrated young artist.
一个沮丧的老女人垂青一个沮丧的年轻艺术家
Miss Spinny
史彼妮小姐
What shall I do?
我该怎么做?
I think the sketch shows what you can do.
我认为这幅素描显示你能画画
All it needs is a little inspiration.
只是需要一点点启发
That little girl in the park.
公园里的小女孩
Its there, does it.
就在那儿,就是它
I'll bet you're needing a tour on the ice?
要我打赌你需要一次冰上之旅吗?
So long with you.
再见
Thanks, Miss Spinney.
谢谢你,史彼妮小姐
Hello, Mr. Adams.
你好,亚当斯先生
Hello, Jennie.
你好,珍妮
Its fun?
高兴吗?
- I can't believe its you. - Why not?
- 我难以相信是你 - 为什么不?
You have grown so much taller.
你长高了
You are making me feel small as before.
你让我觉得自己像以前一样小
No, I'm serious you have grown.
不,我真的觉得你是长大了
Of course. I have.
当然,我长大了
- Don't you remember our wish? - Sure I do.
- 你还记得我们的许愿吗? - 我当然记得
Lets skate.
一起滑冰
Lets go a little faster.
让我们滑得再快点
You so funny.
你真有趣
That seems so funny too.
你也一样
Oh, by the way, I have something here of yours.
噢 ,对了,我带来你的一样东西
Oh what a pretty scarf.
哇,多漂亮的一条丝巾啊
I crossed on the bench itself. You said it was yours.
我在椅子上拿的,你说是你的
Did I?
我说的吗?
Well if I said so, it must be true.
如果我这么说,那一定是真的
I will tell you what? Why don't you keep it for me till I grow up
我来告诉你为什么?为什么你不留着它等我长大
Then I will have one more reason to grow up fast.
这样我又将多一个理由快快长大
All right, I owe you a favour anyway.
好吧,反正是我欠你的
You do? Why?
你欠我?为什么?
I sketched you the other day and sold it.
我画了你一幅素描,并卖掉了
Oh I am glad.
啊,我真高兴
And the party told me how to paint portraits.
这让我懂得如何画肖像画
What do you think of that?
你打算怎么办?
Well, who would you paint, Mr. Adams?
那么,你将画谁,亚当斯先生?
I don't knows. I haven't decided yet.
我不知道,我还没决定
Maybe would it have to be me?
也许可以画我吗?
Well?
什么?
I'm going to have a picture painted.
我会很高兴有人画我
Won't Emily be mad?
艾米丽会不会发疯?
Emily is my best friend. She had her picture painted by Mr. Fromkes.
艾米丽是我最好的朋友,她有弗罗姆克斯先生画她的画
And I said you are going to do mine.
而我说我也将有自己的
How did you know that?
你怎么知道的?
When I wished it, then I closed my eyes and turned around three times.
当我许愿时,我就闭上眼睛转三圈
But Emily still said you wouldn't do it, so I slapped her.
但艾米丽坚持说你不会画的,于是我就打她耳光
Emily? I thought it was Cecily who always fought with you.
艾米丽,我以为老和你打架的是塞西莉
Oh you don't mean Cecily Brown?
噢,你说的不会是塞西莉·布朗吧?
But she moved to Boston three years ago. I thought I told you.
她三年前移居波士顿了,我想我告诉过你
No, you didn't.
不,你没有
- Thats funny. - Well, it doesn't matter.
- 真有趣 - 好吧,这没什么
Come on. Lets skate.
来,一起滑冰吧
Weel I have to be going pretty soon.
嗯,我很快就得走了
No, don't go. How would you like some hot chocolate?
不,别走,你喜欢热巧克力吗?
- Oh! I love hot chocolate. - Get it right over there.
- 啊!我最爱热巧克力了 - 现在就去
- Oh how wonderful, Thank you. - Welcome.
- 哇,太好了,谢谢你 - 不客气
Jennie, where do you live? I'd like to come and see you.
珍妮,你住在哪里?我想去看看你
Well I don't think there is any place where you can come and see me.
嗯,我住的地方不是你能来看我的
- Why? - Its just the way it is.
- 为什么? - 就是那种地方
When will you start my portrait?
你什么时候开始画我?
Whenever your parents will let you. Where are they now?
任何时候都可以,只要你父母同意,他们现在在哪?
At Hammerstein.
在哈姆瑟廷
They are still in Hammerstein?
他们还在哈姆瑟廷?
And they got wonderful new tricks, way up on high wire.
他们掌握了神奇的新技能,高空走钢丝
Sometimes, it scares me to watch them. Of course its silly.
有时候,看到他们把我吓坏了,我真傻
Thats why they are so famous. They scare everybody.
所以他们很出名,他们能吓所有人
I would like to see them.
我很想看看他们
Then I can ask their permission for you to come and sit for me.
那我去请他们同意你陪我一起看
Why don't you take me to Hammerstein to see them.
何不你带我去哈姆瑟廷看他们
Oh yes, do lets go. We could get ourselves in free.
噢,是的,就这么办,我们能免费看
- Could you come at matinee on Saturday? - I think so.
- 你星斯六能来哈姆瑟廷吗? - 我想可以
Where do we meet?
我们在哪碰头?
Well lets meet, here in the park. At the bench we met before
嗯,碰头啊,就在公园吧,就在我们以前相遇的椅子
I'll be there at 2 o'clock, at least I'll try.
我2点钟到,我会尽量的
That was wonderful chocolate.
巧克力真棒
Thank you.
谢谢你
- Well I really must go now. - Must you?
- 嗯,我真的该走了 - 一定要走吗?
I hate it to stop, when will we ever have it again?
我恨离别,我们什么时候可以再在一起?
- Well, goodbye. - Goodbye.
- 那么,再见了 - 再见
Looking for someone, Adams?
你在看什么?亚当斯?
Just watching the little girl I was talking to you about.
我在看那个小姑娘,就是我以前和你说过的那个
I know now that Spinny can't see Jennie.
现在我明白了,史彼妮没看到那个小姑娘
But all I knew then was, she kept a watchful eye on me
可是我觉得那个小女孩一直在看我
as though i were a patient that needed watching.
就好像我很需要那种很耐心很需要被关注的眼神看着我
I was happy when I realised it was Saturday,
星期六终于来了,这让我异常兴奋
and i could scaresly wait to find
我简直等不及了
what Jennie was going to present to me as Hammerstein.
珍妮要带我去的哈姆瑟廷到底是什么样的
Alas, there was no sign of Jennie. Apparently, she had forgotten.
可是,珍妮却一直都没有来,就好像她已经忘记了一样
On impulse, I decided to find out for myself what I could
一时冲动,我决定自己去寻找答案
about Jennie's parents.
去寻找珍妮的父母
well, I had a bet with a friend of mine. I wonder if you can help me.
我和我的一个朋友打赌,我想你能不能帮我
- You remember the old Hammerstein theatre? - Do I remember?
- 还记不记得哈姆瑟廷剧院? - 我还记不记得?
Pardon, You came to the right party to ask about Hammersteins.
你可真是问对人了
I think it used to be right about here somewhere...
我肯定它以前就在这个地方,而我的朋友却说
My friend thinks he knows it.
你的朋友输了
Hammersteins used to stand right there, where the Realto is now. Yes Sir.
哈姆瑟廷以前就在那里,就在莱艾图那里,是的,先生
Just I will ask you one more question.
我还想问你一个问题
- Do you remember the Appleton? - The Appleton?
- 你还记得,阿普尔顿吗? - 阿普尔顿
- They used to have an act. The trapèze. - Trapèze. Seems to be...
- 他们以前是演员,走钢丝 - 走钢丝,听起来…
Look, you go at the Rialto, and ask old Pete.
听着,你去那里就是雷爱特. 去问下那里的老皮特
He is a doorman or something. He used to play Hammerstein.
他是门卫什么的,他以前在哈姆瑟廷呆过
But he could saw a dance man in his day.
那个时候他可是个很不错的歌手,舞蹈家呢
- He might know. - Thanks a lot.
- 他可能知道 - 非常谢谢你
Appleton, Appleton, Yeah, they were the four Appleton.
嗯,确实有四个阿普尔顿
That was in 1902. They were clowns.
那是1902年的事了,他们都是小丑
They were very good too. Right from Vienna.
他们都很不错,都是从维也纳来的
This was a high wire act, Husband and wife. 1910.
还有一对夫妇走钢丝,1910年吧
Then there was Mike and Pat Appleton, Irish.
还有麦克和帕特,阿普尔顿是爱尔兰人
They did some songs and petre.
他们唱歌唱的很好,而且很幽默
That was 1904, or 1905 maybe.
那是1904年,还是1905年的事了吧
1910.
1910年
Please, let me do it my way.
噢,让我用自己的方式来想问题
I have to go backwards and then start from the beginning.
我得从头想起,你明白吗?
You see, I will not remember and I don't like not to remember.
否则,我就什么都记不起来,而我不喜欢自己忘记事情
And, I think I am getting old.
那样我就会觉得自己又老了,你明白吗?
I am sorry to put you all this trouble.
很抱歉,给你带来困扰
No trouble at all. I have a very good memory.
没事,我的记忆力很好
Sometimes that I don't remember things very well.
只是有的时候我也会忘记些事情
- Clara will know. - Clara who?
- 克拉应该知道 - 克拉是谁?
Clara Morgan. She was with wardrobe in Hammerstein.
克拉·摩根,她是哈姆瑟廷的道具管理员
Everybody went to her with his troubles.
所有人都找她解决问题
Those colour people, very wise people.
那些黑人,甚至那些聪明人
They know what trouble is.
他们知道到底是什么问题
- You know how I can find her? - Sure I know where youcan find her.
- 你知道我怎么才能找到她吗? - 我当然知道她在哪里
- Oh where she lives? - Oh we?
- 好吧,她住在哪里? - 住在哪里?
332 East, 135 Street.
东风街135路332号
- Thank you very much. - Good memory, No?
- 谢谢你 - 记性不错吧?
- Just one. Goodbye. - Thank you so much.
- 很棒!再见了 - 谢谢
They were all wonderful acts.
他们都是很棒的演员
To me they had more glamour than anything you see today.
他们所具有的天分是现在那些演员都无法比拟的
You sort of felt as though you knew all the artists personally.
你似乎对每个演员都很了解
Her it is.
就是这个了
These are the Appleton. Mary and Frank Appleton.
这些就是阿普尔顿,玛丽和弗兰克·阿普尔顿
- This one girl... - Thats their daughter, Jennie.
- 这个小女孩… - 那是他们的女儿珍妮
- Their daughter? - Yes.
- 他们的女儿? - 是的
Isn't it possible that this child is their granddaughter
有没有可能,这个孩子是他们的孙女?
No. I knew Jennie when this picture was taken.
噢,不会的,我知道珍妮,照这张相片的时候我就认识她了
She was a darling little girl with big sad eyes.
她可真是个可爱的小东西,有一双大大的忧伤的眼睛
She used to come backstage and sit on my lap.
她以前经常来后台,还坐在我膝盖上呢
I used to give her rock candy.
我以前常给她糖吃
- Do you know where she is now? - No.
- 你知道她现在在哪里吗? - 不知道
I lost track of her that night her parents were killed on the trapeze.
自从她父母那晚意外死亡后,我就再也没见过她了
That was many years ago. The wire broke.
那是很久以前的事了,钢丝断了
Jennie was in the theatre looking when it happened.
珍妮当时就在剧院,目睹了事情的经过
Are you sure you don't remember what happened to her?
你肯定你不记得她在哪里吗?
Well, it seens that I remember some talk
嗯,我依稀记得一些谈话
about her aunt wanting to put her in a convent.
她和她姑妈的谈话,说是要送她去修道院
Jennie wasn't a catholic,
珍妮不是个天主教徒
but her aunt said a convent was a best place for a girl to be.
可是她的姑妈说修道院是一个女孩子最好的栖息地
Thank you very much, Mrs. Morgan.
谢谢你,摩根夫人
- I appreciate you giving me your time. - Thank you, Mr. Adams.
- 我很感谢你给我这么多时间 - 谢谢你,亚当斯先生
It isn't often I have a chance to share my memories.
不是经常有这样缅怀过去的机会的
I do hope you find Jennie. She was a dear little girl.
我衷心希望你能找到珍妮,她是个可爱的小家伙
I hope so too. Thank you again.
我也希望,谢谢你
That night everything seemed like a dream to me.
那晚,所有的事情都像是一场梦
The towers of the city. The myriad lights
那个城市的高塔,万盏灯光
But now I knew that Jennie was not just an imaginative child.
可是现在我知道珍妮并不是一个虚构的小女孩
Not just a child who defies time and reason.
不是一个总是说错时间和事件的小女孩
Instinctively, I followed myself approaching the bench in the park.
不知不觉的我又走到那公园的长椅边
Jennie's bench.
珍妮的长椅
And as I did,
而就像以前一样.
I was concious at the unaccustomed atmosphere.
我觉得有种不同一般的气氛
As though time was melting with the snow.
就好像时间像雪一样消融
Was the sob that I heard was a part of the illusion?
那个哭泣声也是幻觉吗?
Jennie, whats the matter with you?
珍妮,怎么回事?
- Why are you crying of now? - Father and mother.
- 你怎么哭了? - 爸爸妈妈.
What... somethings happened. They had an accident.
爸爸和…很糟糕的事情发生了,他们都出事了
- I knew it will happen. - Why what happened.
- 我知道怎么回事了 - 钢丝断了
I knew it will happen, I was all scared it will happen.
我知道会发生这样的事情的,我一直都很害怕会发生这样的事情
- And tonight... - Tonight?
- 而今天晚上 - 今天晚上?
Jennie, I know how you feel. I dont know much of the tragic bit.
珍妮,我知道你很伤心,我知道这种痛苦多刻骨铭心
It isn't hurting now. Please try to look at it that way.
可是你好好想想,他们其实并没有很痛苦
- They are dead. - We will all die sometime.
- 可是他们死了 - 我们总有一天都会死的
I loved them. They loved me.
我爱他们,他们也爱我
You mustn't be too unhappy. They wouldn't want you to be, would they?
你不该伤心的,他们不希望你伤心的,对不对?
- Would they? - No.
- 对不对? - 是的
They told me one day, they said if anything happen to them
他们以前还说过如果真的会出事
I mustn't be unhappy
我一定不要伤心
because they were doing what they wanted to do...
因为他们都在做他们想做的事情,如果他们…….
If anything happened, would happen to them both,
如果他们出了事,那么一定是一起承受
at the same time, the way they wanted.
一起承受,这也是他们希望的
Well you see?
就是这样,明白了吗?
Yes.
是的
- So I shouldn't cry, why should I? - No.
- 所有我不该哭的,对吗? - 是的
They wouldn't like it.
他们不希望我伤心的
- They died the way they wanted. - All right.
- 这是他们想要的 - 没错
Guess on me, I'm crying to myself
所以我想,我只是在为我自己哭泣
because they are gone
因为他们都离开我了
- because I have nobody. - No, Jennie.
- 因为我很孤独 - 不,不是这样的,珍妮
Maybe I'll always be lonely.
可是也许我不会永远孤单
I don't know why,
我不知道为什么
but i don't think I wiil be lonely very long,
可是我就是觉得我不会一直孤单的
because i am hurrying, I'm hurrying fast now.
因为我很着急,我很着急的要长大
- My aunt is sending me to a convent, and... - A convent?
- 我的姑妈要送我去修道院… - 修道院?
- You want to go? - Of course I do.
- 你想去吗? - 当然想了
After that I'll be grown up, don't you understand?
在那里,我就可以很快的长大,你不明白吗?
No, Jennie, I don't understand.
不,珍妮,我不明白
And I wish I did, but I don't understand any of it.
我希望我可以明白,可是我一点也不明白
Each time I see you, you've changed. You're older.
每次我见到你,你都长大了许多,你长大了
You talk about things that happened, but it happened long ago.
你说的那些事情嗯,那些都是很久以前就发生了的
Did they?
是吗
Sometimes, I kind of think that too.
有的时候我也会这样想
Maybe thats because I have to find something.
可是也许是因为我想找些什么
Finding what?
找什么?
I'm not sure.
我也不知道
But I think, I'll know someday.
可是我觉得,我总有一天会明白的
I think I'll know it and find it.
我相信我会找到的
Do you know why? I think, you will know too.
你知道什么?我想你也会知道的
I hope so.
我希望如此
You wait for me won't you? You give me a little more time?
你会等我,对吗?你还会再等我一段时间?
All right, Jennie.
是的,珍妮
Listen.
你听
Its a star. Can't you hear them?
是星星,你听的到吗?
Listen to the star coming up.
倾听星星从云层里走出来的声音
Cold cold months followed each other, at the end.
接下来的几个月都很冷
From the mystery which surrounded Jennie, my thoughts turned themselves away.
对于珍妮种种的神秘,我已经不再去想了
It was not in my hands, nothing was in my hands,
那不是我能掌控的了的,那不是我能掌控的了的
Any more than I could bring the spring weather before its time
我所能做的就是等待春天的来临
or keep the winter from clinging to the earth.
或者是紧紧的依附在冬天的角落里
Skipper !
船长
- You bad boy. Hello, Adams. - Hello, Mr. Matthews.
- 你这个坏孩子,你好,亚当斯 - 你好,马休斯先生
He always runs away when we get near the park.
一到公园它就乱跑
Thank you very much for catching him.
谢谢你帮我抓住它
I didn't catch me. Just ran away to me.
我没有抓它,它自己跑过来的
Thats a great compliment, from Skipper.
那可是我的船长的神奇之处了
He doesn't usually take to strangers, unless he thinks they are in trouble.
它一般不靠近陌生人,除非它觉得他有麻烦了
Trouble?
麻烦?
What kind of trouble could you sense about me?
它在我身上嗅出什么样的麻烦了?
I suppose most artists goes to something of the sort.
我觉得大多数艺术家都会碰到这样那样的麻烦
Sooner or later its not enough for them just to live and paint and have enough,
光靠画画是不够维持生计的
or maybe enough to eat.
或者只够温饱吧
No.
Sooner or later, they want recognition. They want to sell their work.
总有一天,他们想要名利,他们想要卖他们的作品
Good men, great men appear to do that.
好人,即使是伟人,都免不了这个俗套
But I don't thing thats all is bothering you.
可我不认为这和你有什么关系
Mr. Matthews was right. There was something else.
马休斯先生是对的,确实有什么事情
My memory was beginning to play tricks on me.
我的记忆似乎和我开了个大玩笑
I was seized by memory so urgent that
我的记忆充斥着我的生活
they were more real to me than what was before me.
甚至取代眼前活生生的事务出现在我的眼前
Everything reminded me of Jennie.
所有的事情都在提醒我珍妮
"Where I come from nobody knows and where I'm going everyone goes"
我从哪里来,没人知道,我去的那儿,所有的都要
Finally spring come through. Im tried to work.
最后,春天终于来了,而我也开始工作
But mostly, I was contented doing nothing.
但大多数时候,我什么也做不了
I knew in my heart that I will never be until,
我心里明白,我也许什么都不是
until and unless, Jennie returns.
除非珍妮出现
I needed to tell someone, and who was there to tell but Spinney?
我需要告诉些人,可除了史彼妮小姐我还能和谁说呢
Maybe I will paint one important painting in my life,
也许这一辈子我只能画一幅好的作品
That much I know, I can do.
可是我不知道,我到底该怎么做
- A portrait of Jennie? - Yes.
- 珍妮的画像? - 是的
Its the first thing and only thing I've ever been sure of my life.
那是第一件也是唯一一件我这么确定的事情
- You couldn't do without her. - Of course not.
- 可是如果没有她,珍妮就画不了 - 是的
Suppose she doesn't make another appearance?
如果她再也不出现了呢?
- How can you think about it. - I didn't realise how much you needed her.
- 我没想过 - 我简直没想到你这么需要她
To be your long time define something to bring your talent to life.
也许要把你的才能挖掘出来,需要一段漫长的时间吧
You couldn't find it, so...
你找不到,所以…
So you think I created her, because I needed her for...
所以你觉得是我创造了她,因为我需要她来…
Inspiration? Perhaps.
唤醒灵感?也许吧
Maybe you never saw her, maybe you did. Whats the différence?
也许你真的见到了她,也许没见着,这有什么不同?
As you grow older, you'll learn to believe in lots of things you can't see.
等你再大些,你就会相信许多你见不到的事情
How do you get that canvas ready for her.
要不进来好好的讨论讨论吧
Come in.
请进
- Hi Mac. - Gus.
- 你好啊,麦克 - 格斯
Thats a grand day outside, for New York. Whats doing here?
今天可真是个好天气,你在房间里做什么呢?
- Preparing a canvas for a portrait. - Don't tell me.
- 在做肖像框 - 你该不是告诉我
- So thats way you do it? - The way you do it.
- 你就是这么做的吧? - 就是这样做的啊
Speaking of paintings,
说到画画
- I dropped in at Moores yesterday. - I know.
- 我昨天去摩尔的酒店了 - 我知道
He's upset because I haven't finished the job.
他很不安,因为我还没有完成那幅画
- After all he made a deal, Mac. - I let him down?
- 毕竟,你们说好了的,麦克 - 我让他失望了吧.?
Mick Collins is a little upset to Mac.
米克·寇林有一点不满啊,麦克
Going to lead his men in the battle, and how is he going to stand up.
等待着指引他的追随者去战斗,却只有一直腿
You tell Moore I'll be in soon.
我告诉摩尔,我很快就去
- I'll finish it somehow. - Sure, sure.
- 我一定画完 - 好的,好的
Don't think I'm ungrateful.
别觉得我很虚伪
Its all right. As my mother used to say :
别这么说,我妈妈以前常说
"If there is stardust in your head, there is jumble in your soul."
如果你的脑海里有幻觉,那么你的灵魂里一定有个幽灵
You were right, Gus.
你说的对,格斯
- Look there isn't standing room at the bar! - I think I saw it.
- 这里简直连站的地方都没有了 - 我就说吧
It was a grand idea.
那可真是个好点子
Quiet everbody, quiet. The unveiling is about to take place.
安静,大家安静,有话要说
有个家伙要带大家一起说,“胜利”
这个高大勇敢的米克·寇林要带领我们说“胜利”
爱尔兰会自由吗?和我一起说:“胜利”
是的,爱尔兰一定会站起来的
从这里一直到海的那边
为了自由而战让,我们一起说“胜利!”
为了自由而战让,我们一起说“胜利!”
Hurray Eben Adams !
为埃本·亚当斯干杯
Hurray Eben Adams, hurray.
为埃本·亚当斯干杯
The cheers were following, but I knew the murals were worthless.
欢呼声听在我耳里空洞的很,因为我知道那幅壁画其实一文不值
I knew in my heart, I was worthless.
我知道在我的心底,我认为我自己不过是一文不值
Suddenly, I felt fear.
突然间,我觉得恐惧
The world seemed curiously empty and silent.
这个世界似乎突然间变的很空洞,很死寂
One note to bring it all to life. One note would make an instrument of it.
一个音符可以带来生机,一个音符也可能带来一个手段
Apparently, that note was not that we played.
可是看来那个并没起作用
The world of my art was to remain in empty parks.
我的艺术生涯依然是一片空白
Jennie! Eben!
珍妮!埃本!
No, it isn't true.
不,那不是真的
- It can't be. - Oh yes. Yes it is.
- 不可能是你 - 是的,是我
I tried to get here soon, but I couldn't.
我一直都很想早点来,可是我来不了
- You're beautiful ! Grown so much. - Of course I have. I'm hurried.
- 你真漂亮,你长大了 - 当然了,我一直都很着急要长大
I'm in my first year college at convent.
我现在在修道院里已经一年了
Wonderful. Dress...
很好,这件衣服
- Do you like it? Its a Sunday dress. - Lovely.
- 你喜欢吗?这是礼拜服 - 看起来很可爱
Look, we can see the bridge from here.
你看,这里可以看到那座桥啊
Eben, I thought of you so much,
埃本,我好想你
it can fill an eternity.
简直想到海枯石烂
What did you think?
你在想什么?
How wonderful it all is,
在想现在的我是多么的幸福
how I've searched, searched,
我一直都在找,一直在找
and now, I will be together always.
而现在,我们终于又在一起了
I'm almost sure...
我简直肯定
- Do you know what Emily wants to know? - What?
- 你知道艾米丽想知道什么吗? - 什么
When you're going to marry me.
想知道你什么时候和我结婚啊
Don't you like me, Eben?
别笑我,埃本
I know I'm old enough yet, I would be soon.
我知道我现在还没到可以结婚的年龄,可是很快就可以了
Whats that?
那是什么?
Thats a sketch of Radio City.
是无线电之城的素描
Radio City? I never heard of it.
无线电之城?我从没听过这个城市
It wasn't built very long. You like it?
它刚建起来不久,你喜欢吗?
- Very strange. - Its not a genuine?
- 看起来很奇怪 - 怎么了?珍妮?
- Thats Land's End light. - Thats right.
- 那是陆地之巅 - 是的,陆地之巅
How do you know? have you ever been there?
你怎么知道?你去过?
I don't know.
我不知道为什么
I think...
我想….
Its an old abandoned lighthouse upon Cape Cod.
那是一个荒废已久的灯塔,就在寇德海角
I did that sketch some years ago.
那是很多年前画的
Makes me unhappy.
这张画我看了很不开心
In that case, you just put it aside.
这样的话,那就不看了
Look, study the canvas.
看,帆布
- Canvas? - Canvas for your portrait.
- 帆布? - 为你的肖像准备的帆布
Your portrait. One we planned.
你的肖像,这是我们早就约好了的
Eben, if you wanted to.
埃本,你真的要帮我画?
I was so sure you will be here one day. I haven't been able to do anything else. Sit over here.
我总相信总有一天你会来的,我一直都在等这一天,坐到那里去
- Here? - Oh yes.
- 坐那里吗? - 对
Right there, where I've dreamed you'll sit.
就是那里,我一直都期待你坐的地方
- Les will be so jealous. When I tell him. - Turn here the other way.
- 那些女孩一定嫉妒的发疯 - 把头偏一点
Some of my friends taking a veil next Sunday.
我的一些朋友下个星期天要受洗
It will be lovely to watch. Will you come and see?
那一定很有趣,你要不要和我一起去看?
I love to Jennie. Please hold still. Turn your head.
我很乐意去,现在你先坐稳把头偏一点
Few of my classmates will be leaving. I hate to have them go.
我的一些同学要走了,我真不希望她们离开
Your hand.
珍妮,你的头
Turn your head.
把头偏一点
Well there, hold that.
对了,保持这个姿势
Promise you won't forget me.
埃本,答应我不要忘了我
Hello, Eben !
你好,埃本
- Hello. - Hello. I was afraid
- 你好,埃本 - 你好,珍妮,我还担心
afraid you might not be here.
你已经走了呢
I told you I'll be here.
我说过我就在这里啊
We can hurry if you want to see the ceremony.
我们得赶快,如果还想敢上典礼的话
See those with the candle are the ones who's taking veil.
看到了吗?那些拿着蜡烛的就是要接受洗礼的
Our teachers sit back.
我们的老师就站在后头
First one is, old sister Marie Margaret. She teaches history.
第一个是老姐妹玛丽·玛格丽特,她教历史
And next to her is sister Marie Euphemia. Teaches science.
第二个是玛丽·尤菲米亚,她教自然科学
And over there near the entrance, is my favourite, sister Marie of Miséricorde.
那个在门口的是我最喜欢的,仁慈的玛丽
I am so glad you have been waiting for me.
我真高兴你在这里等我,埃本
Give us our daily bread. Forgive our sins,
赐给我们每天的面包,原谅我们的过失…
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
我们也将原谅周遭的过失
Lead us not into temptation, deliver us from evil.
让我们抵制诱惑,让我们从邪恶中解脱,阿门
Isn't it beautiful?
那场面可真漂亮,对吗?
I always feel its closer to truth things in here.
我经常觉得在这里离真理很近
As if, pretty soon,
就好像,很快…
I would understand.
我就可以知道
How beautiful the world is, Eben.
世界有多美丽了,埃本
The sun goes down in the same lovely sky,
太阳每天都在这同一片美丽的天空下滑行
just as it did yesterday, and will tomorrow.
就好像昨天一样,明天也是一样
When is tomorrow, Jennie?
明日是何夕?珍妮?
Does it matter? Its always.
有什么问题?明天就是今天的结束
This was tomorrow once.
这只是一个明天
"Where I come from, nobody knows And where I am going, everything goes"
我从哪里来,没人知道,我去的那儿,所有的都要
I heard that song where.
我好像在哪里听过
Of course. You sang it to me on the first day at the park.
当然听过,这是你那天在公园里唱给我听的
Did I? I've forgotten.
是吗?我都忘了
"The wind blows, the sea flows
海风吹,海浪涌
"God knows"
上帝知道
I think he knows, Eben.
我相信他知道,埃本
So this is where the master works.
这就是你的大作了
Well, this much of a place. Over here, Spinney.
嗯,这里没有什么地方,就坐这里吧,史彼妮
Of course, it isn't finished yet.
当然,还没有完成
Don't be coy. Lets see it.
别害臊,我看看
Wha tdo you think?
你觉得怎么样?
Well Adams, you found what you were looking for.
嗯,亚当斯,你找到你要找的东西了
You like it?
你喜欢吗?
I've been selling pictures for many years.
亚当斯,这些年来我一直在找一幅可以让我有购买欲望的画
And in my business, its always a dream that someday you'llcome across,
在我看来,我总希望有天可以遇到一件…
shall we says, a great picture.
怎么说呢,一件伟大的作品
This is I feel, now a sort of unit of mine.
现在我找到了,一种很满足的感觉
- He means he likes it. - Looks I'm happy.
- 他是说他很喜欢你的画 - 我很高兴
You remember my saying there ought to be something eternal about a woman?
你还记得我说过,一个女人有一样东西是永恒的这句话吗?
Something not of the present nor of the past.
不是现在,也不是过去
Well Eben, you got it.
嗯,现在你找到了
Its the face that makes him so girl.
就是那张小女孩的脸
Its what you see in your faces without age or time.
你看到的那张脸是没有年龄,没有时间概念的
It isn't finished. Really isn't.
这幅画还没有完成呢,真的还没完成
Take it easy. Its a great picture.
别担心,亚当斯,这是一幅伟大的作品
Carried forward, on a wave of exhaultation, I worked eagerly to complete the portrait.
在狂喜的心情下,我急切的想要完成这幅画像
The face framed in its dark hair, the brown eyes tenderly dreaming.
在黑色头发下闪烁的脸,梦幻一般温和的眼睛
I began to realise
我开始领悟到
that I was cought by an enchantment to yarn time and change.
我被一种超越时间和任何变化的东西给迷惑了
I knew atlast that love is endless
我知道爱是永无止境的
and today's little happiness only part of it.
而今天的小小欢喜只是个开始
Somehow I knew I'll find you here.
不知道为什么我就是知道,我可以在这里找到你的
I looked for you so often.
我一直都在找你
I had fear in mine. You know I just graduated from college...
我今晚一定得见到你,你知道吗?我已经毕业了
Its wonderful. Now, we will be together always.
那可真好,现在我们可以永远在一起了
I'm afraid we'll have to wait a little longer.
我想我们还得等上一段时间
My aunt is here once, she wants me to go away with her for the summer.
我的姑妈生病了,她希望这个暑假我能回家陪她
- When do you have to go? - Tomorrow.
- 你什么时候走? - 明天
- I couldn't without saying goodbye. - Goodbye?
- 我不能不告而别 - 告别?
I will only be for few months.
我只是去几个月
Anyway, we have enjoyed more again.
不管怎么说,我们可以一直呆到早上
I think a little more.
我希望可以更久一点
I'll be lost without you.
珍妮,如果你不在我身边,我会很迷惘
No, say that again.
不,别那样说,埃本
Can't both of us be lost.
我们不能这样任自己迷惘
Look at the moon right on the border.
你看水面上的月光
Makes a pathway across the river.
就好像在水里铺了一条月光之路
The jersey hills are over there, aren't they?
杰瑟里山就在那里,对不对?
Fantastc.
就在远方
You said sadly, have you. Aren't you happy?
你说的很悲伤,你不开心吗?
I couldn't thank him.
我只是在想
No matter how far away, that kind of distance is.
不管有多远,都是可以到达的
Over there we are on the hills, one can drive to.
就在那里,哪怕是那座山,也可以到
In the North, through the pines, eastward to the seas.
在松树的北边,在海的东面
So we got a distance you and I haven't gone before.
那是我以前从没有想过的有关距离的问题
Now I happen, to feel us another kind of distance.
但是现在我想到的是另一种距离问题
A crueller distance.
一种超越时间的距离
Distance of yesterday and a morrow. And it frightens me.
昨天和今天的距离,而这让我害怕
Frightens me, that there's noone to bridge it.
这让我觉得害怕,因为没有桥可以连接这个距离
Yes. At this moment, I know there isn't.
有的,至少这个时候是有的,我知道有这么一座桥的
I want to be forever.
我希望这座桥可以永远存在
You will be. Have faith.
它会的,相信我
How still it is.
它是那么的坚固
Listen.
你听
The whole city is asleep.
这整个城市都进入梦乡
- No one left in the world but us. - No one but us.
- 没人在这个世界里,除了我们 - 没人,除了我们
Lifes beginning again.
人生开始了
Look, the little boat with its lights on.
看,那个小船开灯了]
The nights over. It's tomorrow.
现在晚上已经过去了,现在就是明天
I am not going to think of the song in future.
我不会去想夏天的问题,或者到底未来该怎么走
I'll be right to you.
这是我留给你思考的
Far and above how I came about it don't know.
为什么我们会相遇,我们怎么遇上的我不知道
I know we were meant for each other.
我只知道我们的相遇是前世的缘分
The strings of our lives were woven together,
是我们的命运紧紧的牵连
and neither the world nor time can tear us apart.
这不是时间或者空间可以分开的了的
I wish you finish my portrait.
埃本,我希望你完成我的肖像
Do you think people can know what lies ahead?
你觉得人可以预知未来吗?
I mean, whats going to happen to them?
我的意思是,以后会发生些什么事情呢
You know how you feel sad about things sometimes?
你知道吗,有的时候你对事情的看法很悲观
About things that had never happened?
对那些从未发生的事?
Perhaps there are things that are going to happen to us.
也许那些就是要发生在我们身上的事
Perhaps we know it
也许我们都知道
and are just afraid to admit to ourselves.
我们只是不敢去面对而已
I guess its silly.
我觉得那很奇怪
I guess its just my funny mind.
我想这也许只是我奇怪的念头
- Where are we? - Together.
- 我们在哪里? - 在一起
My poor darling, you must be worn out. Sorry.
可怜的宝贝,你肯定累坏了,我很抱歉
- I fell asleep. - Yes, come here.
- 我睡着了 - 是的,过来吧
Look there.
Its finished.
完成了
- Is it really me? - Its you.
- 真的是我吗? - 是的,就是你
Portrait of Jennie.
珍妮的画像
- I think its a fine painting. - Really?
- 我觉得这是一幅很棒的画 - 真的吗?
I think it will make you famous.
我觉得它会让你一举成名的
One day, it will hang in a museum,
我想,总有一天它会挂在博物馆里的
people will come from all over the world to see it.
而人们都会专程跑来看
If they do it, ou will be my worthy promissory.
如果真的是这样,他们也不是来看我的画的
- It will be you. - Thank you.
- 他们是来看你的 - 谢谢你,埃本
And now, you may sign.
现在你得签名了
Eben Adams
埃本·亚当斯
I want to always sit and watch you paint.
我真希望永远坐在这里看你画画
Now that I've found the perfect model, I'll paint her again and again.
现在我找到了一个最完美的模特,我会再为她画画的
I didn't mean that. I mean I want you to paint all the beautiful things in the world.
我不是那个意思,我是说,我希望你画世界上所有美丽的东西
You must be everything in the world.
你就是世界上最美丽的了
But, these pictures of yours,
可是,埃本,你的这些画
of the sea, and the Land's End light,
这海,还有陆地之巅
each time I see them, my heart seems to stop.
每次我看到这些画的时候,我的心跳都快停止了
Curious. Tell us suppose there is a sort of forlorn sort of place.
很奇怪,我好像见过这样的地方
Tell that thought about any more.
不要再谈这个了
- Tell me about Paris. Did you study there? - Yes, indeed.
- 告诉我一些巴黎的事,你在那里读书吗? - 是的
I wish we would be there. I would be such fun.
埃本,我希望我们可以在一起,那一定很幸福
Good you are chatting.
我们会的,珍妮
I'll take you to the Luxembourg, to the fair of Fontainebleau.
我带你去卢森堡,接着去枫丹白露
Oh! Yes.
好的,好的
Well to the forest of Saint Cloud in the spring
我们春天去三泰云森林里探险
and drink new wine under the trees.
在树下品尝新酒
I feel as if I'm over there already,
我觉得我们已经在那里了
as if we can spend our whole like together.
好像我们已经一辈子都在一起了
What is it that makes a man and woman know it
到底是什么让一个男人和一个女人了解…
or the men and women in the world they belong to each other ?
另一个世界里的男人和女人他们是属于彼此的呢?
Is it just chance, That they live in the world the same time?
难道只是巧合,他们生活在同一个世界同一个时间里?
You think its possible
你觉得可能吗?
we might have been others, in other time zones we might have loved
也许在另一个时间里,我们爱着另一个人
might have loved us?
谁会爱上我们呢?
No, no no others.
不,不是别人
Among all the people who lived from worlds end to worlds end,
就是那些生活在这个世界的人们
there's just one you must love, one you must seek till you find him.
就有一个将是你的真爱,一个你必须寻觅直到找到为止的
You, Eben. You, my love.
你,埃本,是你,我亲爱的
- I must go. - Please don't go, Jennie.
- 我得走了 - 别走,珍妮
I don't want to, but we will meet again when summer ends.
我也不想,可是只要夏天结束了,我们就可以永远在一起了
- Are you sure? - I don't know quite well.
- 你肯定吗?珍妮? - 我不知道
The wind blows, the sea flows.
海风吹,海浪涌
I want to be sure. Tell me you're sure.
我也想弄明白,告诉你我肯定会回来
I'm sure, Jennie.
我知道了,珍妮
I'll get my things.
我有点东西要给你
- What a lovely sky. - It's yours, Jennie.
- 多漂亮的丝巾啊 - 这是你的,珍妮
Why is it for me?
给我的礼物吗?
I thought you'd like it. I've been saving it for a long time.
我想你会喜欢的,我一直都把它带在身边
Ever since we first met in the park.
自从我们在公园遇见到今天
In the afternoons the sun slanted lower over the city.
下午,太阳斜斜的照着这个城市
Sometimes in the evening, a wedge of wild ducks
有的晚上,几只野鸭在我窗前游过
waded south, against the Manhattan sky.
朝着南方游去,朝着曼哈顿的天际游去
summer turned away, to fall, but Jennie did not return.
夏天过去了,秋天无声无息的来了,珍妮没有回来
I felt a dreadful loneliness.
我觉得刺骨的孤独
Where was she?
她在哪里?
Yonder, Yonder
在那里?还是在更远的地方
Was the home of my sweetheart
那里可有我心爱的她
Yonder, yonder
在那里,还是在更远的地方
was so long ago
还是在很久以前的某个时刻
I remember my lover
我记起了我的最爱
And the kiss of no other
和她那无人替代的吻
No other love
没有更多的爱可以分给别人
Yonder, yonder
在那里,还是在更远的地方
was so long ago.
还是在很久以前的某个时刻
I suppose I reminded me for minding my own business,
我想我该好好的打理自己的事情
but you can't quit alone, or be,yourself.
可是你已经欠了很多钱了,你自己一个人怎么扛的了
Gus, you don't understand.
格斯,你不明白的
Like supposing, I mean if one is supposing...
如果,如果你还记得的话,我只是说如果
Supposing what, Gus?
如果什么?格斯
Supposing she did never come back.
如果她再也不出现了呢?
She's got to.
她一定会回来的
- Can't be other... - But if something happen to her?
- 如果回不来了呢?嗯 - 如果她出了什么事呢?
Don't you have to go on living pal, don't you?
你就不要过下去了吗?是这样吗?
You never believed the whole thing, have you, Gus?
你从不相信我说的对吗?你相信珍妮是真实存在的吗?
- Don't pick up words in your mouth. - Doesn't matter.
- 别这样说 - 没事
Doesn't matter if you believe it, doesn't matter whether anybody believes
不管你或是别人相不相信我说的
- because I know. - Sure you do, sure.
- 因为我知道 - 你当然知道
Weren't you telling me she goes to a convent?
可你不是告诉过我她去修道院了吗?
She's not there anymore. She graduated.
她已经不在那里了,她已经毕业了
Yeah, but the sisters are great ones for keeping in touch.
是的,那些修女是我回想她最好的途径
She liked the sisters. There was one who was her favourite.
她喜欢那些修女,那是她最喜欢的一个
Why don't you ask?
你为什么不问问她
Jennie said she felt closer to the truth there.
珍妮说她在这里觉得真理离她很近
I'll drive you up first thing in the morning, if you promise to get a good night sleep.
我明天一定很早就过来载你过去,如果你答应今晚好好睡一觉的话
- If I slept, I 'll owe you for the ride. - Your money don't signify.
- 你一定要我欠你车钱吗? - 钱不是重点
As my mother used to say : "If you got friendship in your heart, sure you don't..."
我妈妈以前常说“如果你心中有友情,你当然就…”
What was it your mother used to say?
你妈妈以前说什么?
I don't know what I expected to find in the convent.
我不知道我到底想去那个修道院找什么
I knew only that it was there that Jennie had found some inner truth.
我只知道,在那里珍妮找到真理
It was there that she had said to me : "I think he knows, Eben."
就是在那里,她告诉我说:“我想上帝知道的,埃本”
For the first time since I had last seen Jennie, I had a feeling of not being alone.
自从我见到珍妮后,我就一种不会再孤单的感觉
A feeling that the world and Jennie and I were one.
一种好像这个世界,我还有珍妮就是一个整体
But if for a while, we had lost our way?
即使,即使有的时候,我们迷失了方向
Yesterday rose again ahead of us.
明天又将是一个新的一天
We had found beauty together, and we could never lose it.
我们一起找到了美丽的事物而这一点,我们永远都不会忘记
What was it you wished to see me about?
那你来见我做什么?
Well, I wanted to ask you about a girl who graduated from here.
我想问你一个从这里毕业的小女孩
Quite possibly you might have some information as to where she is.
我想也许,也许你能帮我找到她
I nuns. We often keep in touch with the girls after they leave.
也许我能帮你,我们经常和那些离开这里的孩子有联系
- What is her name? - Jennie Appleton.
- 她叫什么? - 珍妮·阿普尔顿
Jennie Appleton?
珍妮·阿普尔顿?
Yes. You remember it, don't you?
是的,你记得她吗?
Yes, I remember Jennie very well.
是的,我对她的印象很深刻
Even though she was not of our faith, Jennie was one of my favourite pupils.
尽管她不信我们的主,珍妮是我最喜欢的一个学生
A lovely girl, with a strange spiritual beauty,
一个很可爱的学生,有着一种很奇怪但是很有内涵的美丽
and a gentle kind of sadness that always troubled her.
而且有点伤感,这点经常让我很头疼
I think that describes her perfectly. Any idea where she is?
我觉得你形容的很帖切,你知道她住在哪里吗?
Why Jennie died.
怎么这么问?她已经死了
- When? - Years ago.
- 什么时候? - 几年前
Oh I'm afraid, I shocked you.
我没吓着你吧?
Well, no.
没有
We obviously aren't speaking of the same person.
也许我们说的不是同一个人
Did you know her family?
你知道她的家人吗?
No, I just know they were killed in an accident.
不,我只是知道他们都在一次意外中丧生
A wire broke? They were trapeze performers?
钢丝断裂?他们是钢丝杂技演员
I'm afraid it must be the same Jennie Appleton.
我想也许是同一个珍妮·阿普尔顿
Her aunt brought her to us, shortly after her parents death.
她的姑妈把她送来的,在她父母死后没多久
She stayed with us untill she graduated.
她一直和我们呆在一起直到毕业
Then her aunt came and took up to New England for the summer.
接着她的姑妈就过来,带她去纽约度夏
We corresponded a great deal.
我们还通了很长时间的信
Would you care if I read you one of her letters?
你可不可以把那些信借我看看?
Yes please.
好的
Won't you sit down.
坐下看吧
I was so touched by her letters that I saved them.
她的信写的很感人,所以她的信我都保留下来了
The last one she ever wrote to me.
这是她写给我的最后一封信
"My dear Sister Marie of Mercy, we are returning very soon.
亲爱的仁慈的玛丽,我们很快就要回来了
"The summer has been a very long and a lonely one.
这个夏天可真是一个漫长折磨
"How I want to see you again and sit and talk to you about all that is been worrying me.
我多么希望可以坐在你身边,和你说一些一直以来都困扰我的事啊
"I know you tried to teach me how beautiful the world is,
我知道一直以来,你都在很努力的教我这个世界是多么美丽
"and how it keeps on being beautiful everyday,
而每天,这个世界又是以多么美丽的姿态来迎接我们
"no matter what happens to us.
不管我们发生了什么事
"But sometimes, I have the dreadful feeling
可是有的时候我总会有一些可怕的感觉
"that this beauty will never be complete for me,
这份美丽永远都不会是完整的
"that I will never find someone to love, who'll love me.
我永远也找不到一个人来爱我
"Its the thought that terrifies me, dear sister.
这个想法让我害怕,亲爱的
"And I need your comfort and your wisdom to help me.
我需要你的安慰和你的智慧来帮助我
"Your loving Jennie."
你最亲爱的珍妮
That was the year the terrible tidal wave hit the New England coast.
那年一场可怕的海啸席卷了新英格兰海峡
October 5th. I remember well.
10月5号,我记得很清楚
I always offer my communion for Jennie on that day.
我经常和珍妮谈天
I afterwards learnt that Jennie was in the habit of sailing out everyday alone
后来我发现每天珍妮都有出去,一个人
to a little cove near an abandoned lighthouse.
就在一个废弃的灯塔里
Land's End light.
陆地之巅
During one of those trips the waves struck her.
就在她去的时候,海啸来袭了
That was the last anyone ever saw of her.
那是我最后一次见到她
Land's End light, thats where I'll find her.
陆地之巅,我就是在那里找到她的
But Jennie is dead, Mr. Adams. You must accept that.
可是珍妮已经死了,亚当斯先生,你必须接受这个事实
- However its hard... - I won't accept. Don't tell me she's dead.
- 也许这很难接受… - 我不相信,不要告诉我她已经死了
I held her in my arm three months ago not ten years ago.
三个月前我还抱着她,不是十年前
I love her. I want her back.
我爱她,我要她回来
What vision Gods sent you I can't say,
我不知道是谁赐予了你这种力量,我不知道该怎么说
but don't doubt the ways of providence.
可是怀疑主的决定
You must have faith. We know so little, so very little.
你要相信,我们所知道的只有一点点,只是冰山一角
I don't need to be abrupt, and I'm grateful for your kindness.
我也不想这么失态,谢谢你
When did you say that waves struck the coast?
你说什么时候海啸袭岸的?
October 5th.
10月5号
- And today is? - October 1st.
- 今天是? - 10月1号
That leaves me four days.
还有4天的时间
But, Mr. Adams, that October 5th was many years ago.
可是,亚当斯先生,那是很多年前的10月5号
Are you so sure?
你这么肯定?
You said we know so little.
你说我们了解的只是一点点
You said Jennie's parents were killed.
你说珍妮的父母死了
I found her sobbing on the bench the night it happened.
事发那天晚上,我还发现她在一张长椅上哭泣
You said she was a student here. I visited her here.
你说她是这里的一个学生,我就是在这里看到她的
You said she went to New England with her aunt.
你说她和她的姑妈一起去纽约
I was with her just before she left.
她走之前我还和她在一起
Then how can you say it all happened many years ago?
你怎么还能说这是发生在很久以前的事?
Yes, we know so little.
是的,我们知道的有限
Yet now, I knowt, a little more.
而现在,我了解了一些
I know, now the pattern of Jennie's life.
我了解了珍妮的生活格调
But I also know that I am part of it.
可我也知道我其实就是这之间的一部分
She herself said the strand of our lives were woven together,
她自己说过,我们的人生是缠在一起的
and that neither time nor the world can breaks up.
不是时间和空间就可以切得断的
This I have faith in.
就因为这个,我相信
Thank you mother, I must hurry.
谢谢你,我很急
Thanks for your kindness.
谢谢你
Where have you been keeping yourself? Well, whats wrong?
你都到哪里去了?出什么事了吗?
I am going away. I don't know for how long.
我要走了,我不知道我要去的地方有多远
Heres my portrait of Jennie. Will you store it for me till I come back?
这是珍妮的画像,你可以帮我保管吗?
Ofcourse.
当然
- Where you going? - I think I know where she's going to be.
- 你要去哪里? - 我知道她在哪里
I'm going to be there waiting for her.
我要去那里等她
A place on Cape Cod, called Land's End.
就在那个寇德海角,陆地之巅
Well here, Adams.
好吧,亚当斯
Where've you been? I've got lot of commissions for you.
你去哪里了?我有事情要你帮忙
In that case, perhaps you'll will advance me a 100$.
如果那样的话,你可要给我100元了
Give him a 100$, Mr. Matthews.
给他100块,马休斯
Whats the matter? Is there something wrong?
怎么回事?出什么事了吗?
- Doesn't mind. Just pay him. - As you say, Miss Spinney.
- 不要管了啦,给他钱就是了 - 你说了算,史彼妮小姐
Thank you, Thanks Spinney. Thanks for everything
谢谢,谢谢你为我坐的一切
- Goodbye, Mr. Matthews. - Goodbye my boy. Have a good rest.
- 再见,马休斯先生 - 再见我的孩子,好好的给心放一个假
We do big things together later.
我们以后还有很多的合作机会
Paint me a little church while you're there.
给我画一个教堂
Little white church with a big steeple.
一个小小的但有一个大大的尖塔的教堂
Don't get yourself drowned in the sea.
你可千万不要淹死在海里啊
What makes you say that?
你怎么这么说话啊
Men do such foolish things. I'm afraid of the ocean.
人总是会做傻事,我就很怕海
You are tough. Sea won't get you.
你可真粗鲁,海又不会吃了你
Tough ones drown too, you know.
粗鲁的人才活该被淹死,你知道吗?
Bye.
再见了
Any warning for the storm?
有没有什么气象灾难?
- What storm is that? - Hurricane is coming up.
- 什么暴风雨? - 飓风快来了
No hurricane is coming here, you young pal.
这里没有什么飓风的,小伙子
Fair weather.
天气都很平和
Thats what it says. Right there.
就和那里说一样
How far in advance will the barometer show up the work coming up?
如果有飓风要来,那么气压计上会显示吗?
Far enough.
够远了
Didn't show far enough when I heard that hurricane back in 20 years.
如果有飓风的话,就没有那么高了
I heard about that hurricane.
我听说过那场飓风
Happened this time of the year, did it?
就在几年前的今天,对吗?
Yeah?
恩?
My Goddy.
神啊
Come to think of it, it was October 5th.
好好的想想,是不是10月5号?
I remember.
我记起来了
Because October 4ths her birthday.
因为10月4号是我的生日
Today.
今天
I'd like to get upto Land's End light. You know where to charter a boat?
今天我想去陆地之巅,你知道那里可以租一条船吗?
Land's End light?
陆地之巅
Can't think of any reason
不知道为什么
why anybody would go up there.
怎么会有人想去那里的
Never mind my reasons. You know someone with a boat?
不要管我为什么要去,你知道怎么租一条船吗
My father gave me a boat.
我爸爸有一条小船
Thats fine. Would you mind taking me to your car?
很好,你可不可以带我去见你的爸爸
No.
Come to think about, I don't think Ma would like him do it the boat.
想想看,我不觉得我妈妈会同意他租这条船给你
You better get down to see Eke.
我觉得你应该去找伊克
I'd tell her he wants his boat sometime.
我听说他有的时候会租船给别人
Where do I find Eke?
到哪里去找他?
Its not hard to find Eke. He's always sitting in the same place.
要找伊克并不难他,总是坐在同一个地方
- Where? - I'll tell you now.
- 那到底是哪里? - 到时候我会告诉你的
You go down to the jetty, and ask for the guy named Eke...
你到那个码头那里去,问问那个奇怪的老头
Mind if I ask you to rent me a boat.
你可不可以把你的船租给我?
You can go and buy a new one for what you're paying me.
我可以付给你很多钱,你可以拿这些钱去买一艘新的
What I don't see is
我不明白的是…
how you figure it getting out tomorrow in al this smug.
你明天怎么把她从这堆垃圾里带出来
Not a blade of wind stirring
今天的风可真大啊
There'll be wind all right. Running up.
会有足够的风的,好的,够了
May be. Never been too sure about them things.
也许,别对什么事情太肯定了
Not since the hurricane we had in the 20s.
自从那次海啸之后就在也没有人敢出海了
What about the wave? I heard something about a great wave.
那场海啸怎么回事?我听说了一些有关那次海啸的事情
Great wave? Yeah.
大海啸,是的
There was a wave all right.
那是一个海啸,没错
Sometimes I think, I had never seen it.
以前我从没想过我会见到
I just read about it.
我也只是从书里读过
Like something in the scriptures.
就像一些手写稿里写的一样
She comes out of the sea, like a mountain.
它从海里席卷而出,就像一面山
Coming towars the land, like the day of Judgement.
直捣大地,就好像世界末日一样
You didn't happen to know a girl, a visitor, who was caught by the wave?
你知不知道一个女孩,一个来旅游的女孩在海啸中丧生?
Her name was Jennie Appleton.
她叫珍妮·阿普尔顿
You know its queer for asking me that.
你知道的,你问这个问题很奇怪
I rented her my boat.
我以前把我的船租给她
I shall never forget till the day I die.
我永远都不会忘记她
Did you know her?
你认识她?
Yes, I know her.
是的,我认识她
Pretty as a dame, wasn't she?
很美的人儿,对不对?
Such big sa eyes she had.
那么大却满是忧伤的眼睛
Big sad eyes...
大大的忧伤的眼睛…
Something about her that seemed to come from far away.
她给人的感觉就好像是从很远很远的地方来的
What happened exactly? Where was she when the waves struck?
到底发生了什么事?她是在哪里遇难的?
She was in Land's End point, that much is certain,
她到了陆地之巅,这点是可以肯定的
well I found the bow of my boat tied to the warf there.
因为我在那里发现了船的锚
Anyway, what left on it.
不管怎么说,就是在那里了
May I ask you something.
我问你点事情
If she had reached the lighthouse, she might have been savede.
她去灯塔了吗?她应该被救的
- Isn't that so? - Yes.
- 是吗? - 是的
But she didn't make it.
可是她没来得及跑到灯塔
No, I know.
不,我知道
Pretty tough climb up them rocks,
要爬上那个陡坡是很困难的
with all that wind.
更何况还有那么大的风
- Especially for a female. - I suppose what.
- 尤其还是一个女人 - 我想她可能是
Alone.
一个人
"Way to strong wind ripped the mountains
狂风席卷着海水
"and break in pieces the rocks before the Lord,
狠狠的砸在石头上,摔个粉碎
"but the Lord was not in the wind."
可是上帝并不在风中
I was afraid I wouldn't find you.
我真怕我找不到你
I'll never let you go again.
我再也不会让你离开我了,再也不会
Its been so long. Let me look at you.
好久没有见到你了,让我好好看看你
The waves coming.
珍妮,海啸来了
Its all right, whatever happens...
没关系,不管发生了什么…
Whatever happens? You I want, not just touch in dreams.
不管发生什么?我要的是真实的你,不是一个虚幻的你
Please believe me. The waves will strike again in soon.
海啸还会袭过来的
- We can have a whole lifetime... - We are all eternity.
- 我们可以一辈子在一起 - 我们永远都要在一起
Can't you see? We were lonely, unloved. Time made an error.
你不明白吗?我们都很孤单,没有爱情,是时间的错乱给我们新生
But you waited for me, and so we found our love.
可是你一直都在等我,而我们也找到了真爱
- And now if we lose it? - No, no we are just beginning.
- 所有我们现在就要失去了吗? - 不,我们现在才开始
There is no life my darling, until you have loved and been loved.
如果没有爱,亲爱的,那就没有生命
Then, there is no death.
当然也就没有死亡
- Reach the lighthouse fast. - You are fighting nothing.
- 我们必须得赶到那个灯塔,快点 - 可是你再怎么努力都是没有用的
Please Eben, go without me.
求你了,埃本,你自己走吧
No, theres nothing in life, nothing at all without you.
不,如果没有你在我身边,那生命毫无价值可言
You must live on, but with faith.
你一定要活着,一定要有信仰的活着
- Here it comes. - Goodbye, my darling.
- 海啸来了 - 再见了,我的爱
Hey, young fellow. A shave will make you feel better.
喂,年轻人,也许刮个脸会舒服些
- Morning, Capitain Cobb. - Morning.
- 早上好,科普船长 - 早上好
- Miss Spinney - Hello Adams.
- 史彼妮小姐 - 你好,亚当斯
What are you doing here?
你在这里坐什么?
Well frankly, I was worried about you.
坦白说,我可真担心你
I wanted to come here and see how you were doing.
我想我该上来看看你怎么样了
Capitaine Cobb kindly let me visit you. So you see we both his guests.
科普船长好心的让我们来看你,你看我们都是他的客人
- Its nice of you, Thanks. - OK nothing.
- 你真好,谢谢 - 没什么
Let me tell you young fellow.
让我告诉你,年轻人
You are mighty lucky saying to Eke what you were here for.
你可真幸运,事先告诉伊克你要去哪里
People like him will never have able to find you at all.
要不我们也找不到你
No, sure you bug.
不要剪太短了
Did you find anyone else?
他们还发现有别的人吗?
There were nobody else damn fool enough to keep a boat out in that bow.
没人会蠢到和你一样在那样的天气跑去出海
But wheres her boat?
可是她的船?
What is he saying?
他在说什么?
She had a boat.
她有一条船
I don't reckon on what you talking on young fellow.
我不知道你在说什么,年轻人
But there weren't no other boat at all
可是那里根本就没有其他船
without so many persons taking off that day.
那天根本就没有任何船出海
You've been picked by boats from there.
你可以发誓吗?
Can't figure out why Eke ever rented you the boat.
我不知道为什么伊克会把他的船租给你
You saw Jennie again, didn't you?
你又见到珍妮了,对吗?亚当斯?
Its aweful.
那很奇怪
I tried to hold on to her.
我已经抱住她了
But the wave...
可是海浪
Take it easy.
放轻松
At least, you saw her again.
至少你又见到她了
Yes, she...
是的,她…
Glad you at least believe,
真高兴,至少你相信我说的
about Jennie.
有关珍妮的事
Yes.
是的,亚当斯
You do, don't you?
你相信的,对吗?
You believe it. Thats all that matters.
你相信,这才是最关键的
What?
什么?
Where did you get that scarf?
你在哪里找到那条丝巾的?
This? Was near,when I found you on the beach.
这个?是在沙滩上找到你时在附近发现的
Yes Spinney. I saw Jennie again.
是的史彼妮,我又看到珍妮了
You mean this is Jennie's?
你是说,这个珍妮的?
Its all right.
是的
I haven't lost her.
我没有失去她
Everythings all right now.
现在一切事情都好了
"Portrait of Jennie."
珍妮的画像
Isn't she beautiful?
她可真漂亮,对吗?
- I wonder if she's real. - She must be.
- 我想知道她是不是真实的 - 她是不是真的存在过
What is it matter? She was real to him, or she couldn't look so alive.
那又有什么关系?对他而言她就是真实的,否则她不会如此的真实
How very wise you are.
你可真聪明
Oh! Eben is it really me?
啊!埃本,真的是我吗?
I think, someday, it will hang in a museum
我想,总有一天它会挂在博物馆里的
and people would come from all over the world to see it.
而人们都会专程跑来看