了不起的盖茨比 The Great Gatsby

上映日期: 2,013

语言: 英语

影片类型: 剧情 / 爱情

导演: 巴兹·鲁赫曼

演员: 莱昂纳多·迪卡普里奥 / 凯瑞·穆里根 / 托比·马奎尔 / 艾拉·菲舍尔 / 乔尔·埃哲顿 / 卡兰·麦克奥利菲 / 阿米达普·巴强 / 杰森·克拉克 / 伊丽莎白·德比茨基 / 嘉玛·沃德


台词
In my younger and more vulnerable years...
在我年少懵懂时
my father gave me some advice.
父亲曾给我忠告
"Always try to see the best in people," he would say.
他说,“尽量去看别人的优点”
As a consequence, I'm inclined to reserve all judgments.
也因此,我倾向不批判别人
But even I have a limit.
但即便如此,我也是有限度的
Back then, all of us drank too much.
那时我们都饮酒过量
The more in tune with the times we were...
越是跟得上时代的人
the more we drank.
就喝得越多
And none of us contributed anything new.
我们完全没有新的建树
(柏金斯疗养院)
When I came back from New York, I was disgusted.
我从纽约回来时我厌倦极了
(姓名:尼克卡洛威)
I see, Mr. Carraway.
我了解了,卡洛威先生
Disgusted with everyone and everything.
我厌恶所有的人事物
(诊断:严重酗酒、失眠 易怒、焦虑、忧郁)
Only one man was exempt from my disgust.
只有一个人不让我感到讨厌
One man?
只有一个人?
Mr. Carraway?
卡洛威先生
Gatsby.
盖兹比
(1929年12月1日 首次咨询)
Was he a friend of yours?
他是你的朋友?
(盖兹比)
He was...
他是…
the single most hopeful person I've ever met.
我见过最乐观的人
And am ever likely to meet again.
以后大概也无人能出其右
There was something...
他有一种…
about him, a sensitivity.
敏感纤细的特质
He was like...
就像那种…
He was like one of those machines that register earthquakes 10,000 miles away.
能侦测到一万哩外地震的仪器
Where'd you meet him?
你在哪认识他的?
At a... At a party...
在纽约的…
in New York.
一个派对
In the summer of 1922...
1922年的夏季
the tempo of the city approached...
城市的节奏已近乎…
. . . hysteria.
歇斯底里
Stocks reached...
股票飙到…
record peaks...
历史高点
and Wall Street boomed...
华尔街的交易量…
in a steady...
快速…
golden roar.
上涨
The parties were bigger.
派对越开越大
The shows...
秀场…
were broader.
越来越露骨
The buildings were higher.
房子越盖越高
The morals were looser and the ban...
道德沦丧,禁酒令…
on alcohol had backfired...
完全适得其反
making the liquor cheaper.
使得私酒削价竞争
Wall Street was luring the young and ambitious.
华尔街全力招揽热血青年
And I was one of them.
我也是其中之一
I rented a house 20 miles from the city on Long Island.
我在距离纽约20哩的长岛租房子
I lived at West Egg...
我住在西卵
in a forgotten groundskeeper's cottage, squeezed among the mansions...
夹杂在新贵豪宅间 一座…
of the newly rich.
被人遗忘的小屋
To get started, I bought a dozen volumes on credit, banking and investments.
为了做准备,我买了全套 关于信用、银行及投资的书
All new to me.
对我来说这是崭新的领域
The stock market...
股市…
- hit another high. - The market's moving up, up, up!
- 又再创新高 - 买气旺盛,股市不断飙升
Well, of course, nothing is 100 percent. I wouldn't go investing every penny.
当然不能挂保证 我不会每分钱都投进去
At Yale I dreamed of being a writer...
在耶鲁时我梦想成为作家
(《尤里西斯》 詹姆斯乔伊斯著)
but I gave all that up.
但我放弃一切
With the sun shining...
外面阳光普照
and the bursts of leaves on the trees...
绿意盎然
I planned to spend...
我计划…
the summer studying.
整个夏季研读
也许…
And I probably would have...
我真会读完
were it not...
如果那座…
for the riotous...
巨大…
amusements that beckoned...
城堡的墙后…
from beyond...
没有…
the walls of that...
用恣意狂欢来…
colossal castle...
引诱我的话
owned by a gentleman I had...
城堡主人是我…
not yet met...
尚未谋面的…
named Gatsby.
盖兹比先生
So...
所以…
he was your neighbor.
他是你的邻居
My neighbor.
我的邻居
Yeah.
When I think about it, the history of the summer really began...
但仔细想想,那个夏季的故事…
the night I drove over to my cousin Daisy's for dinner.
是从我开车去表妹黛西家 晚餐的那天开始
She lived across the bay in old moneyed...
她住在对岸,旧权贵世族云集的…
, ,.East E99-
东卵
Her husband was heir to one of America's wealthiest families.
她丈夫是美国首富家族的继承人
His name...
名叫…
was Tom...
汤姆…
Buchanan.
布坎南
When we were...
我们在…
at Yale together, he'd been...
耶鲁同窗时,他是…
a sporting star. But now his glory days were behind him and he...
体育明星 现在卸下光环
- contented himself with... - Telephone, Monsieur Buchanan.
- 他用别的娱乐… - 您的电话,布坎南先生
- It's me. - other affairs.
- 是我 - 来打发时间
I thought I told you not to call me here.
我说过别打来这里
Boaz!
铁人
Shakespeare!
大文豪
Tom!
汤姆
- How's the great American novel coming? - I'm selling bonds with Walter Chase's outfit.
- 你的美国文学大作写得如何? - 我跟瓦特柴斯那伙人一起卖债券
Let's say after dinner, you and I, we go into town.
晚餐后一起进城如何?
- I can't. - Catch up with the old wolf pack.
- 不行 - 跟狐群狗党们聚聚
- Big day on the job tomorrow. - Nonsense! We're going.
- 明天公司还有事 - 少来,一定要去
First team, all-American.
全美第一球队
You see?
看到了吗?
Made me who I am today.
那塑造了今日的我
Forest Hills.
我在森林小丘…
Played the Prince of Wales. What a sissy.
跟威尔斯王子对战 真是个软脚虾
Life is...
人生…
something you dominate.
就得要全面掌控,尼克
If you're any good.
如果你能力够强
Hey.
Henri!
亨利
Where are you?
- 你在哪里? - 在这,先生
The doors.
把门…
Close them.
都关起来
Sorry. Thank you.
抱歉,谢谢
Is that you, my lovely?
是你吗?亲爱的
Daisy Buchanan, the golden girl.
黛西布坎南,黄金女郎
A breathless...
她善于…
warmth flowed from her.
营造温暖的氛围
A promise that there was no one else...
让你觉得这世上…
in the world she...
你是她…
so wanted to see.
唯一想见的人
Do they miss me in Chicago?
芝加哥的人想我吗?
Yes. At least a dozen people send their love.
想,至少一打人托我问候你
How gorgeous.
好极了
They're absolutely in mourning.
他们伤心欲绝
- They're crying. Yes. - No.
- 他们泪流满面 - 才没有
- I don't believe you. - Wailing.
- 我才不信 - 他们哀嚎
- I don't believe you. - They're screaming.
- 我不相信 - 他们尖叫呐喊
"Daisy Buchanan..."
“黛西布坎南…
we can't live...
没有你…
- "without you!" - I'm paralyzed with happiness.
- 我们活不下去” - 我开心死了
Jordan Baker...
卓丹贝克
a very...
知名…
famous golfer.
高球选手
She was the most frightening person I'd ever seen.
她是我看过最令我畏惧的人
Well, I've seen your face on the cover of Sporting Life.
我在运动杂志封面看过你
Nick Carraway.
尼克卡洛威
But I enjoyed looking at her.
但我喜欢看着她
I've been lying on that sofa...
我在沙发上…
for as long as I can remember.
躺了一整天了
This summer I'll fling you two together. I'll push you into linen closets...
这个夏天我要撮合你们 把你们锁在床单柜里
and out to sea in boats!
然后用船运出海
- I'm not listening to a word. - So, Nick...
- 我没听到 - 尼克
Daisy tells me...
黛西说…
that you're over in West Egg...
你住在西卵
throwing your lot in...
跟那些…
with those social-climbing...
积极晋升上流社会的…
primitive new-money types.
低阶新贵一起
My little shack's just a cardboard box at 80 a month.
我的房子只是个 月租80元的小盒子
Your life is adorable.
你的生活好可爱
I know somebody in West Egg.
我认识一个西卵的人
I don't know a single person...
对岸的人…
that side of the bay.
我一个都不认识
You must know Gatsby.
你肯定认识盖兹比
Gatsby?
盖兹比?
What Gatsby?
哪位盖兹比?
Madame, the dinner is servi.
夫人,晚餐准备好了
Would you like to hear...
你想听…
a family secret?
我们家的秘密吗?
- That's why I came over. - It's about the butler's nose.
- 我就是为此而来 - 是关于管家的鼻子
Things went from bad to worse.
事情每况愈下
I hate that word "hulking."
我讨厌那个字眼
I heard a rumor that you were getting married...
尼克,听说你要跟一个…
- to a girl out West. - It's a libel.
- 西部的女孩结婚 - 这是毁谤
- I'm too poor. - They have to be old...
- 我太穷了 - 他们得老一点…
so they die quickly.
然后赶快死掉
Can't we talk about something else?
我们能不能谈点别的
Anything. Crops.
像是收成
You're making me feel uncivilized...
你让我觉得自己好不文明
Daisy.
黛西
Civilization's going to pieces.
文明就快要毁灭了
Have you read The Rise of the Colored Empires...
你们有读过葛达德的…
by this fellow Goddard? Everybody ought to...
《有色人种帝国之崛起》吗? 每个人…
read it. The idea is...
都该读,主旨是说…
that it's up to us, the dominant race...
我们这个优势种族…
to watch out or these...
该小心点,不然…
other races...
掌控权会落入…
will have control of things.
其他种族手中
Tom's very profound lately. He reads deep books with long words in them.
汤姆最近很有气质 他都读些艰深难懂的书
It's been proved.
这些书都有…
It's scientific.
科学依据的
We've got to beat them down.
我们得打倒他们
Buchanan residence.
布坎南大宅
Monsieur Wilson, from the garage.
修车行的韦尔森先生来电
Monsieur Buchanan.
布坎南先生
Excuse me, I'll be right back.
失陪一下,我马上回来
I'm sorry.
失陪一下
- Well, this Mr. Gatsby you spoke of... - I'm working on it.
你说的那个盖兹比…
- he's my neighbor.
是我的邻居
- Don't talk.
别说话
I wanna hear what happens.
我想听发生什么事
I don't care what you do...
Something happening?
有什么事吗?
- Why, I thought everybody knew. - Well, I don't.
- 我以为大家都知道 - 我不知道
Tom's got some...
汤姆在纽约…
- woman in New York. - Got some woman?
- 有女人 - 有女人?
She might have the decency not to telephone at dinnertime. Don't you think?
你不觉得她至少该有点分寸 不该在晚餐时打来?
- Is that too much to ask? - Daisy, don't create a scene.
黛西,别闹了
I love seeing you at my table.
我喜欢你过来吃饭,尼克
You remind me of a rose. An absolute rose...
你让我想起玫瑰
- doesn't he? - So after dinner...
- 对不对? - 晚餐之后…
I'm not like a rose.
我才不像玫瑰那么娇贵
Nick wanted to go into town.
尼克要和我一起进城
To the Yale Club.
去耶鲁俱乐部
Nicky, stay.
留下来
I have to work early.
我明天一大早还要上班
Nonsense.
胡扯
- There's so much to talk about. - It's just...
- 我有好多话想跟你聊 - 只是…
for a drink or two.
去喝两杯
None of us...
没人…
could ignore that fifth guest's shrill...
能忽视不速之客的…
metallic urgency.
刺耳铃声
- Nicky. - What?
- 尼克 - 怎么了?
It's just, well, you see, I think everything's terrible anyhow.
我只是觉得现在一切都好糟
- Really? - Yes.
- 真的吗? - 真的
I've been everywhere and seen everything and done everything.
我环游世界 什么都看过也都做过了
I've had a very bad time, Nicky.
我过得很不开心
I'm pretty cynical about everything.
变得很愤世嫉俗
Your daughter, I suppose she...
你女儿…
talks and eats and everything?
会说话和自己吃饭了吗?
Pammy?
潘美
Oh, yes.
Listen, Nick, when she was born...
听我说,尼克,她出生时…
Tom was God knows where...
天晓得汤姆在哪里
with God knows whom.
和谁在一起
And I asked...
我问…
the nurse if it was a boy or a girl.
护士宝宝是男是女
And she said it was a girl...
她说是女生
and I wept:
我哭了
"I'm glad it's a girl."
“我很高兴是女生
And I hope she'll be a fool.
我希望她是个傻瓜
That's the best thing a girl in this world can be.
女生在这世上最好就如此
"A beautiful little fool."
做个美丽的小傻瓜”
All the bright, precious things fade so fast.
所有漂亮珍贵的事物总是迅速凋零
And they don't come back.
而且一去不返
When I arrived home...
当我回到家时…
I noticed that a figure...
我发现邻居船坞…
had emerged on my neighbor's dock.
出现一个身影
And something told me it was...
我的直觉告诉我…
Mr. Gatsby.
那就是盖兹比先生
He seemed to be reaching toward...
他似乎想在黑暗中…
something out there in the dark.
抓住些什么
The green light.
灯塔的绿光
I don't wanna talk about this, doctor.
我不想谈这些,医生
Then write about it.
那就写下来
- Write about it? - Yes.
- 写下来? - 对
Why would I do that?
我干嘛要写?
(病人日志)
You said yourself writing...
你自己说写作…
brought you solace.
是你的疗伤方式
Yeah, well, it didn't bring anyone else much solace.
对,但其他人不会想看
I wasn't any good.
我写得不太好
No one need ever read it.
不用给其他人看
You could always burn it.
你可以烧掉
What would I write about?
我要写些什么?
Anything-
什么都行
Whatever brings you ease:
能让你平静的东西
A memory...
一段回忆
a thought, a place.
一个想法、一个地方
Write it down.
写下来
A place.
一个地方
The Valley of Ashes was a grotesque place.
灰烬丘是个怪诞之地
(怪诞之地)
New York's dumping ground halfway between West Egg and the city...
位于纽约和西卵间的倾卸场
where the burnt-out coal that powered...
负责燃烧供电给黄金城…
the booming golden city...
使用的剩余煤灰
was discarded by men who...
由步履蹒跚…
moved dimly and already...
苟延残喘的劳工
crumbling through the powdery air.
在充满粉尘的环境中处理
This fantastic farm...
这奇幻诡异之地…
was ever watched by Dr. T.J. Eckleburg...
被艾柯堡医生永恒地注视着
a forgotten oculist whose eyes brooded over it all...
一位被遗忘的眼科医师 静默的注视着一切
like the eyes...
宛如上帝的…
of God.
双眼
Tom had invited me to town, apparently for lunch at the Yale Club...
汤姆邀我进城 说是要在耶鲁俱乐部吃午饭
but...
但…
the day took...
那天发生…
an unexpected...
意料外的…
turn.
转折
Come on.
来吧
- Come on! - What do you mean?
- 来吧 - 什么意思?
Trust me!
相信我
- What are we doing? - Where are you going?
- 我们要干嘛? - 你们去哪里?
Jump!
跳啊
- What are you doing? - Jump, come on!
- 你们在干嘛? - 快点跳
- Tom! - Come on!
汤姆
Oh, God.
老天
Tom, wait. Wait a second, would you?
汤姆,等一下
Dominate, Nick!
全面掌控,尼克
Dominate!
全面掌控
(车辆买卖)
Hello, Wilson.
韦尔森
How's business?
生意如何?
Yeah, I can't complain.
还过得去
So when are you gonna...
你啥时要…
- sell me that car? - I've still got my man working on it.
- 把那辆车卖给我 - 我的人还在处理这件事
Yeah, well, he works pretty slow, don't he?
那家伙手脚挺慢的
Maybe I'd better sell it somewhere else.
那我还是卖给别人好了
Oh, no, no, no.
不是
I wasn't saying that. I was...
我不是这个意思
If it's business, you should be talking...
要谈生意…
to me.
应该找我
Get some chairs...
拿些椅子来
why don't you, so somebody can sit down.
好让客人坐
Sure.
好的
Yeah, let's talk business.
好,我们来谈生意
Sure.
I'll get the chairs.
我去拿椅子
Myrtle...
梅朵
- why don't you entertain? - Hurry up.
- 你招呼… - 快点
- Hi. - Hi.
- 嗨 - 嗨
Mr. Buchanan.
布坎南先生
Candy?
要吃糖吗?
- No, thank you. - No?
- 不了,谢谢 - 不要吗?
Mrs. Wilson, Nick Carraway.
韦尔森太太,尼克卡洛威
A pleasure.
幸会
Nick's a writer.
尼克是作家
I'm in bonds actually.
其实我是卖债券的
I want you...
我要你…
get on the next train.
搭下班火车来
Now?
现在?
Yes.
Can we get the dog?
可以在公寓…
- For the apartment? - Whatever you want.
- 养只小狗吗? - 你想要什么都行
Hey, Mr. Buchanan!
布坎南先生
You want a soda?
要喝汽水吗?
- I'm fine. - No?
不用了
Call your sister. She'll like him.
打给你妹妹,她会喜欢他
No, no, no. That's all right, thank you.
不,不用了,谢谢
Catherine's said to be very good-looking by people who know.
有眼光的人都说凯瑟琳漂亮
Oh, really, I can't.
我真的没办法
Hey-
You wanna embarrass Myrtle?
你想让梅朵难堪吗?
That's rude.
那样很没礼貌
I'm Catherine.
我是凯瑟琳
Ain't we having a party?
不是要开派对吗?
I'm not sure...
我不确定…
now's a good time.
现在是好时机
I'm just going. Actually, there are peop...
我正要走,事实上有人…
Hello!
Oh, Chester, this must be the cousin.
切斯特,这一定是那个表哥
- Oh, you are adorable. - Oh, thank you.
- 你真可爱 - 谢谢
Chester McKee. Pleasure to meet you.
切斯特麦奇,很高兴认识你
- Nick Carraway. - Come on...
- 尼克卡洛威 - 怎么…
- don't you like me? - A plant.
- 你不喜欢我吗? - 植物
Myrtle!
梅朵
Myrtle!
梅朵
Myrtle turtle!
梅朵小乌龟
I really must go.
我真的得走了
Get everybody a drink before they fall asleep.
快上酒,免得大家睡着了
Torn, I'm just leaving now.
汤姆,我要走了
Nick.
尼克
Wait.
等等
- I'm going. I've gotta get out of here. - Nonsense!
- 我要走了,我得离开 - 胡扯
Go on in there and talk to Catherine.
进去跟凯瑟琳聊聊
I'm not comfortable. Daisy's my cousin.
我在这很不自在,黛西是我表妹
Listen, I know you like to watch. I remember that from college.
听我说,我知道你喜欢旁观 在大学时就是如此
No, no, no, I don't make any judgment.
不,我不是要评断你
We have all summer.
我们有整个夏天
Now, do you wanna sit on the sideline and watch, or do you wanna play ball?
你现在想要袖手旁观 还是要下海一起玩
Play ball.
一起玩
- Ain't we good enough for you? - Come on!
- 我们不够好吗? - 来嘛
Come on! Come on.
来嘛,来麻
He's gonna sit on the side and watch?
他会袖手旁观吗?
Or is he gonna play ball?
还是会下海一起玩?
Take off your hat and stay a while.
把帽子摘下,待一会
Oh, hey, Nick. McKee...
尼克,麦奇…
- is in the artistic game. - Photography.
- 是搞艺术的 - 摄影
- Nick's artistic. - No.
- 尼克也是 - 没有
- No, no, no. - Really?
- 不 - 真的吗?
- I write a little, but... - Really?
- 我随便写点东西 - 真的?
Do you live on Long Island too?
你也住在长岛吗?
- I live at West Egg. - I was there at a party...
- 我住在西卵 - 我上个月…
about a month ago. A man named Gatsbys. Do you know him?
在那参加过派对 一个叫盖兹比的家伙,认识吗?
I live right next door to him.
我就住他隔壁
He's a cousin of Kaiser Wilhelm's.
他是威廉大帝的表亲
- You know, the evil German king? - Really?
- 那个邪恶的德国皇帝 - 真的?
Hey, McKee!
麦奇
Take a picture of that.
来照这个
Don't, I'm not one of those models.
我才不是那种低级模特儿
You can if you want.
但你喜欢的话也行
Neither of them can stand the person they're married to.
他们俩都受不了自己的另一半
Doesn't she like Wilson either?
她也不喜欢韦尔森?
He's a greasy...
他是个油腻的…
little scumbag.
混球
No, thanks, I feel just as good on nothing at all.
不用了,谢谢 我不喝也一样嗨
Nerve pills.
抗忧郁药丸
I get them from a doctor in Queens.
皇后区的医生给我的
Do you want one?
你要吗?
Oh, no. My nerves are fine, thanks.
不,我不太忧郁,谢谢
I had been drunk just twice in my life.
我这辈子只喝醉过两次
And the second time was that afternoon.
第二次就在那个下午
That night, in the hidden...
那晚在汤姆为梅朵…
flat that Torn kept for Myrtle...
准备的小公寓里
we were buoyed by a sort of...
我们因为化学反应…
chemical madness.
而情绪高涨
A willingness...
奔放的心…
of the heart that burst...
像打雷般的…
thunderously upon us all.
爆炸开来
And suddenly, I began...
突然间,我开始…
to like New York.
喜欢纽约了
This is better than the Yale Club.
这里比耶鲁俱乐部好多了
High...
耸立在…
over the city...
城市的高处
our yellow...
我们灯光明亮的
windows must have contributed their share...
窗户肯定…
of human secrets...
引人目光
to the casual...
对那些驻足街头…
watcher in the street.
观望的人来说
And I was him...
我曾经…
too...
也是他
looking up and wondering.
朝上张望,思索着…
I was within...
我既是当局者迷
and without.
又是旁观者清
Enchanted and repelled...
我既入迷又排斥…
by the inexhaustible variety of life.
纽约有如此多阶层和面向的人生
You have got no right...
不准你…
to speak her name.
直呼她名字
Daisy, Daisy, Daisy!
黛西,黛西,黛西
- You got no right to speak her name! - I'll speak her name whenever...
- 不准你直呼她名字 - 我想叫就叫…
- Oh, my God, you are crazy! - You whore!
- 我的天啊,你疯了 - 你这娼妇
They're gonna arrest you!
他们会逮捕你
I have no clue how I got home...
我不知道我是怎么到家的
but I do know that I...
但我知道…
awoke with a distinctly...
醒来时觉得…
uneasy feeling...
很不自在
that Gatsby was watching me.
因为盖兹比在看着我
Watching you?
看着你?
Yes.
Gatsby...
盖兹比…
was always watching me.
总是在看着我
And how did you know that?
你是怎么知道的?
I got an invitation.
我收到一张邀请函
I was...
我是…
the only one.
唯一一个
By which I mean no one except me...
我的意思是除了我之外…
ever received an actual invitation
从来没人正式收过…
to Gatsby's.
盖兹比的邀请
You see, the rest of New York...
整个纽约…
simply came uninvited.
都是不请自来
The whole city packed into automobiles.
全城的人挤上汽车
And all weekend, every weekend...
整个周末,每个周末…
ended up at Gatsby's.
泡在盖兹比家
Yeah!
And I mean everyone...
每个阶层的…
from every walk of life...
每一个人…
from every corner...
来自纽约城的…
of New York City...
每个角落
this kaleidoscopic. ..
有如万花筒般的…
Carnival...
嘉年华会…
spilled...
从盖兹比的…
- through Gatsby's door. - Out of the way!
前门涌入
My invitation.
我的邀请函
Sir, my invitation.
先生,我的邀请函
This Way!
这边
Hey!
A caravanserai...
充斥着…
of billionaire playboy publishers and their blond nurses.
花心富豪、出版商 和他们的金发护士
Heiresses comparing inheritances on Gatsby's beach.
女富二代在盖兹比 的海滩上比财产
My boss, Walter Chase, losing money at the roulette tables.
我的老板瓦特柴斯 在赌桌输了不少钱
Gossip columnists alongside...
狗仔专栏作家与帮派份子…
gangsters and governors exchanging telephone numbers.
和政商名流厮混 彼此交换电话号码
Film stars...
电影明星
Broadway directors...
百老汇导演
morality protectors...
卫道主义者
high school defectors.
高中辍学者
And Ewing Klipspringer, dubious descendent of Beethoven.
还有自称贝多芬后代的 尤因克力卜史普林格
Do you know where I might find the host, Mr. Gatsby? I live next door.
请问主人盖兹比先生在哪? 我住隔壁
Gatsby?
盖兹比?
I've never seen Mr. Gatsby.
我从没见过盖兹比先生
Why, no one has.
没人见过他
Alone...
单独…
and embarrassed...
又困窘
I decided...
我决定…
to get roaring...
要喝个…
drunk.
烂醉
好棒
I thought I might see you here.
我就知道会在这里看到你
- Hello. - I remembered...
- 嗨 - 我记得…
you live next door.
你住隔壁
It's like an amusement park.
这里像是游乐园
Shall we?
来吧
- Did you get an invitation? - People aren't...
- 你有收到邀请函吗? - 没有人…
invited to Gatsby's.
是受邀来的
Well, I was.
我就有
Seems I'm the only one.
看来只有我一人
Who is this Gatsby?
这个盖兹比到底是谁?
- He was a German spy during the war. - Teddy Barton...
- 他在大战时是德国间谍 - 泰迪巴顿
Nick Carraway.
尼克卡洛威
A German spy?
德国间谍?
No, no, no. He's the Kaiser's assassin.
不不,他是威廉大帝的刺客
I heard he killed a man once.
我听说他杀过人
- True. - Kills for fun, free of charge.
- 没错 - 纯粹为了好玩,不收任何费用
He's certainly richer than God.
他肯定比上帝更有钱
You don't really believe he killed a man, do you?
你不会真认为他杀过人吧?
Let's go find him and you can ask him yourself.
我们去找他,你可以亲自问问
Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome to the stage...
各位女士先生,请热烈欢迎…
the incredible...
吉尔达葛雷…
Miss Gilda Gray!
女士上场表演
The Charleston!
查尔斯顿舞
At least I miss
Trips around the world
Don't mean a thing
If I ain't your girl
I ain't got time
For you baby
Either you're mine Or you're not
Mr. Gatsby?
盖兹比先生?
Sweet baby
Come on.
来吧
Right here, right now
But you are mistaken!
你搞错了
For I am...
我才是…
the mysterious...
神秘的…
Mr. Gatsby.
盖兹比先生
You won't find him.
你不会找到他的
This house...
这个房子…
and everything in it...
和里面所有的一切…
are all part...
都是…
of an elaborate disguise.
一个精心设计的假象
But Mr. Gatsby doesn't exist.
盖兹比先生完全不存在
Phooey. I've met him.
才怪,我见过他
Really? Which one?
真的吗?哪一个?
The prince?
是王子?
The spy?
间谋?
The murderer?
还是杀人犯?
I cannot find anyone...
我找不到任何一个…
who knows anything real about...
知道关于盖兹比…
Mr. Gatsby.
任何真相的人
Well, I don't care.
我不在乎
He gives large parties...
他专开盛大派对
and I like large parties.
我喜欢盛大派对
They're so intimate.
它们气氛亲密
Small parties, there isn't any privacy.
小型派对完全没有任何私人空间
But if that's true...
要是你说的是真的
what's all this for?
那他为何要搞这些?
That, my dear fellow...
这个嘛,我亲爱的朋友…
is the question.
就是问题所在
A little party never
Killed nobody
So we gonna dance
Until we drop
A little party never killed
Nobody
Right here, right now ls all we got
A little party
Never killed nobody
May I have this dance?
来跳只舞吧?
You penniless pantywaist.
你这穷光蛋兼娘娘腔
A little party never killed
Oh, yeah.
Nobody
I'm stealing...
我要把她…
her away.
抢走,卡洛威
- Ladies and gentlemen... - Come on.
各位女士们先生们
A jazz history of the world...
世界爵士历史…
and accompanying...
即将和…
fireworks!
烟火汇演
- Come on. Nick. - Look around you.
- 来啊,尼克 - 你醒醒吧
Rich girls don't marry poor boys.
富家女才不会嫁给穷光蛋
She's mine.
她是我的
Your face is familiar.
你好眼熟
Weren't you in the Third Division during the war?
大战时是不是第三师的?
- Oh, yes, the 9th Battalion. - I was in the 7th.
- 对,我在第九营 - 我第七营
I knew you looked familiar. Having a good time, old sport?
难怪你很眼熟 玩得还开心吗,老哥?
The whole thing's incredible.
真是棒极了
I live just next door.
我就住隔壁
He sent me an actual invitation. Seems I'm the only one.
我收到正式邀请函 看来我是唯一一人
I still haven't met Mr. Gatsby.
但我还没见着盖兹比先生
No one's met him.
没人见过他
They say he's third cousin to the Kaiser and second cousin to the devil.
大家都说他是威廉大帝的亲戚 可是他跟魔鬼更亲
I'm afraid I haven't been a very good host...
抱歉我是个不称职的主人
old sport.
老哥
You see...
因为…
I'm Gatsby.
我就是盖兹比
You're...
是你
His smile was one of those...
他有着那种…
rare smiles that you may come across...
很罕见的笑容 这辈子…
four or five times in life.
大概只会遇见四五次
It seemed to understand...
他看来好像…
you and believe in you just as you would like to be understood...
了解你,相信你 就像你会想要被了解…
and believed in.
和相信的那般
Sorry, old sport. I thought you knew.
抱歉老哥,我以为你知道
Please just... I don't know what to say.
我不知道该说什么才好
- Please forgive me. I've had... - It's quite all right.
- 请原谅我 - 没关系
- So much to drink. - Yes?
我喝多了
Mr. Gatsby, sir.
盖兹比先生
Chicago on the wire.
芝加哥在线上
I'll be in in just a minute.
我,马上就过去
I'm taking my new hydroplane out in the morning.
我早上要去试驾新买的水上飞机
Would you like to go with me?
想一起来吗?
What time?
几点?
The time that suits you.
随你方便
Well, that's very kind of you.
你太好了
Lovely to see you again, Miss Baker.
很高兴再次见到你,贝克小姐
If there's...
如果…
anything that you want...
你想要任何东西
just ask for it, old sport.
尽管开口,老哥
Excuse me. I will...
失陪了,我…
rejoin you later.
晚点再陪你们
I expected him to be...
我以为他会…
- Old and fat? - Yes.
- 又老又胖? - 对
Young men don't just drift coolly out of nowhere...
年轻人不可能突然窜起…
and buy a palace on Long Island.
然后买下长岛的皇宫
He told me once...
他跟我说过…
he was an Oxford man.
他是在牛津念的大学
However, I don't believe it.
可是我不相信
Why not?
为什么?
I don't know. I just don't believe he went there.
不知道 我就是不觉得他在那念过书
I beg your pardon.
打扰了
Miss Baker, Mr. Gatsby would like to speak to you.
贝克小姐 盖兹比先生想私下…
Alone.
跟你谈话
Me?
我?
Yes, madam.
是的,小姐
Nick!
尼克
Nick!
尼克
Nick!
尼克
I've just heard the most shocking thing.
我刚听到最惊人的消息
Where have you been? The car's waiting.
你去哪了?车子在等
Simply amazing. It all makes sense.
太惊人了,现在都说得通了
It all makes sense.
全都说得通了
Come on.
来啊
- What makes sense? - Everything!
- 什么说得通? - 所有的事
Come on, this is crazy! We gotta...
来吧,太扯了,我们…
- get out of here. - Here I am tantalizing you...
- 得走了 - 我才答应不说出去
when I swore I wouldn't tell.
这会却在吊你胃口
Just tell me.
跟我说吧
Oh, Nick, I'm sorry, I swore.
尼克,对不起,我发过誓
I swore I wouldn't tell.
我才发誓不说出去
Sorry to keep her from you, old sport.
抱歉我刚才把她带开,老哥
Don't forget...
别忘了
we're going up in that hydroplane tomorrow.
明早去试驾水上飞机
Yes.
Mr. Gatsby, sir...
盖兹比先生
- Philadelphia on the phone. - Yes.
费城在线上
Night, old sport.
晚安,老哥
Good night.
晚安
Thank you.
谢谢
What's the matter?
怎么回事?
You run out of gas?
没油了吗?
Nick! Come and see me!
尼克,再约我喔
We'll have tea next week.
下礼拜一起喝茶
I'm in the phone book.
查电话簿,我有登记
I'll call you up.
我会打给你
Well, we rode in the hydroplane.
我们试开了水上飞机
And I attended...
又参加了…
two more of his parties.
他另外两次派对
Even made use of his beach.
还借用了他的海滩
But you know, doctor, I realized...
但医生,我发觉到…
that I knew absolutely nothing about Gatsby at all.
我对盖兹比完全一无所知
Until...
直到…
(《华尔街杂志》)
It's pretty, isn't it, old sport? Haven't you ever seen it before?
很漂亮对不对,老哥 你以前看过吗?
It's all a custom job.
这是订制车
Supercharged engine.
涡轮增压引擎
Get dressed.
快去换衣服
We're going to lunch.
我们去吃午餐
- Oh, well. - Yeah.
- 真好 - 对啊
Look here, old sport.
听着,老哥
What is your opinion of me, anyhow?
你对我究竟有何看法?
'Yes! '
- 我的看法? - 对
Yes, your opinion.
你的看法
I don't want you to get the wrong impression...
我不希望你对我有错误的评价
from all these bizarre accusations you must be hearing.
你一定听到很多奇怪的传闻
A pack of lies, I guarantee. You've heard the stories?
我保证全是一派谎言 你听过那些故事吧?
I will tell you God's truth. God's truth about myself.
我对天发誓 对你说我真实的身世
I am the son of very wealthy people from the Middle West.
我出生于中西部的有钱望族
Sadly, all of them are dead.
不幸家人都过世了
I was brought up in America...
我在美国长大
but educated at Oxford...
在牛津受教育
because all my ancestors...
因为我的世代…
have been educated there for years. It's a family tradition.
都在那里受教育 这是家族传统
The way he spoke.
光凭他说话的方式
No wonder people thought he was lying.
也难怪大家觉得他在骗人
After my family died, I ran into a great deal of money.
家人死后,留给我一大笔财产
After that, I lived like a prince...
此后我在欧洲各首都…
in all the capitals of Europe.
过着王子般的生活
Oh, Europe.
是欧洲啊
Yes, Europe.
对,欧洲
Paris, Venice...
巴黎、威尼斯
Rome, Vienna...
罗马、维也纳
Zurich, Helsinki...
苏黎世、赫尔辛基
Moscow, Istanbul...
莫斯科、伊斯坦堡
collecting jewels...
搜集珠宝
chiefly rubies...
尤其是红宝石
hunting big game...
参加大型狩猎
painting a little, things for myself only. Trying to forget something sad...
我也画点画,纯消遣好玩 为了忘记伤心往事
Just when I thought...
当我心想他的故事…
it couldn't be any more fantastical...
可以再夸张些…
- Then came the war, old sport. - He became...
- 然后大战开打了 - 他成为…
a war hero, single-handedly defeating the German army.
战争英雄 单枪匹马击败德国大军
In the Argonne Forest, I took two machine gun detachments so far...
阿尔冈森林一仗 我带领两个机枪部队往前冲锋
We were outnumbered 5 to 1.
我们以一抵五
There was a half a mile gap...
两军各离我们半哩宽
There wasn't a single German soldier left standing.
没有半个德国士兵生还
We stayed there two days and two nights.
我们在那里撑了两天两夜
Saw were piles of dead.
留下一堆尸骨
One hundred and thirty men with only 16 Lewis guns.
就我们130人和16把路易士机枪
Every Allied government gave me a medal.
每个协约国都颁勋章给我
Even Montenegro.
包括蒙特内哥罗
Here.
That's from Montenegro.
这就是蒙特内哥罗颁给我的
"Major Jay Gatsby for...
“致盖兹比少校…
- "valor extraordinary." - Valor extraordinary. That's right.
- 之英勇勋章” - 英勇勋章,没错
And this is something I always carry with me, a souvenir of Oxford days.
我身上还带着牛津生涯的纪念
That was taken in Trinity quad. The man on my left...
这是在三一方庭拍的 我左边的是…
- is now the Earl of Doncaster. - What could I say?
- 现在的唐卡斯特伯爵 - 我能说什么?
The photograph was undoubtedly authentic.
这张照片无疑是真的
Could it all be true?
这有可能全是事实吗?
Of course, you don't need to take my word for it, old sport.
但你当然不必尽信我的话
At lunch, I'm going to introduce you to one of New York's most distinguished businessmen...
午餐时,我会介绍你认识 纽约最著名的生意人
a Mr. Meyer Wolfshiem, my good friend.
我的好友梅尔渥夫斯罕
He will confirm all I have told you...
他会证实我所说的
- and vouch for my good character. - That's not necessary.
- 和担保我的人品 - 没这个必要吧
But it is, though.
有必要
I thought you ought to know something about my life. I didn't want you to think I was...
我认为该让你知道我这个人 我不希望你认为…
Well...
I didn't want you to think I was some nobody.
我不希望你认为我是无名小卒
You see, old sport, I'm going to make a very big request of you today.
我今天要请你帮我个大忙
A big request?
帮个大忙?
Yes.
Miss Baker will explain everything...
你下午跟贝克小姐喝茶时…
when you take her to tea.
她会跟你解释
Jordan? What's she got to do with it?
卓丹?她跟这有何关系?
Well, I assure you...
我保证…
it's nothing underhand.
绝不是下流勾当
Miss Baker's an honest sportswoman. She wouldn't do...
贝克小姐是诚实的体育名人 不会做…
anything that wasn't all right.
不正当的事
Pull over!
快靠边
- Pull over to the curb! - All right, old sport. All right.
- 停下 - 好的,老哥,没问题
(J盖兹比)
Right you are!
原来是您
I'll know you next time...
我下次会记得尊容
Mr. Gatsby!
盖兹比先生
- Excuse me. - Thank you.
- 抱歉 - 谢谢
One of your old Oxford pals?
他是你牛津的老同窗?
Well, I was able to do the commissioner a favor once.
我曾经帮过警察总长一个忙
He sends me a Christmas card every year.
他每年都给我寄圣诞卡
I imagine he'll be at lunch too.
我想他也会来用午餐
By the time...
当我们…
we reached the bridge, I was impossibly confused.
上桥时,我困惑极了
I didn't know what to think.
我不知该作何感想
But the city seen from the Queensboro Bridge...
但从皇后大桥远眺纽约…
is always the city seen for the first time...
永远都像第一次见到
in its first wild promise of all the mystery...
一如它最初对你的热切承诺
and the beauty...
能感受这世上…
in the world.
所有的玄奥和美丽
Anything...
我心想…
can happen now that we've slid over...
一旦过了桥…
this bridge, I thought.
就什么都可能发生
Anything at all.
什么都可能
Even Gatsby could happen.
就连盖兹比都可能是真的
Yes, absolutely.
My boy!
我的好小子
Meyer, Meyer, Meyer.
梅尔,梅尔,梅尔
Smell so good.
你真好闻
- Look at you! - Look at you.
- 看看你 - 看看你
Mr. Carraway, this is my good friend, Mr. Meyer Wolfshiem.
卡洛威先生,这是我的好友 梅尔渥夫斯罕先生
A wonderful pleasure...
真是荣幸
- Mr. Carraway. - My pleasure.
- 卡洛威先生 - 幸会
I know all about you.
我知道关于你的一切
- I see. - Yes! Mr. Gatsby's...
- 是喔 - 对,盖兹比先生…
- always talking about you. - Really?
- 总是提到你 - 真的吗?
Shall we?
走吧?
Come.
Join us for a little...
跟我们一起…
"lunch."
用餐
Hundred, hundred, hundred dollar bills
Yeah!
- Hands off! - Out! Out you go!
- 别碰我 - 滚出去
Get off me!
别碰我
Tell Walter Chase he keeps his mouth shut...
跟瓦特柴斯说 再不闭嘴…
or he doesn't get a penny.
一毛钱也别想拿
We'll talk about...
那个…
- that later. - Highballs, Mr. Gatsby?
- 等下再谈 - 要来杯烈酒吗?盖兹比先生
Highballs it is.
就照你说的
- All right. - You take care of my friend.
- 好的 - 我的朋友也要
Look who's here.
看看这是谁?
You see these fists?
看到这对拳头了吗?
He's the next heavyweight...
他是下一届重量级…
- champion. - Pay my respects to your boss.
- 冠军 - 代我向你老板问候
Hey, Jay!
喂,杰伊
You're under arrest!
你被逮捕了
You be careful, now. You're turning into a real jazz hound, commissioner.
小心点,你变成超级爵士迷了 警察总长
Bang, bang!
砰砰
- That's the commissioner. - Mr. Gatsby...
- 后面那位就是警察总长 - 盖兹比先生
your table is ready.
可以入座了
- Gatsby! - Good to see you.
- 盖兹比 - 真高兴见到你
Yeah, that's fantastic.
好极了
You be careful at those tables now...
下注时小心点
senator.
参议员
I'll put a bet on for you, Jay!
我也替你下一把,杰伊
Hundred dollar bills
We'll have the lobster.
我们都点龙虾
It's decorated with truffles and fine herbs.
那是用松露和上等香草调味的
Hundred dollar bills
So...
how is the bond business, Mr. Carraway?
你的债券生意如何,卡洛威先生?
Fine. Thank you.
还不错,多谢你
I understand you're looking for...
听说你想…
- a business connection. - No. No, no, no.
- 找关系做生意 - 不…
No, no, no.
不不不
This isn't the man, Meyer.
不是他,梅尔
This is the friend...
这是我跟你提过的…
that I told you about.
那位朋友
I beg your pardon.
真抱歉
I had a wrong man.
我搞错人了
If you'll excuse me, I have to make...
请失陪一下,我去打通…
that call.
电话
Any luck, senator?
手气如何,参议员?
What a gentleman.
多棒的绅士
From one of the finest families in the Midwest.
出身于中西部最优秀的家族
Sadly, all dead now.
可惜他们都过世了
When I first made the pleasure of Mr. Gatsby's acquaintance just after the war...
当我在战后 首次有幸结识盖兹比先生时
I knew I'd discovered a man of fine breeding.
我知道我认识了真正的上流人士
A war hero.
一个战争英雄
Such medals.
数不清的勋章
And...
And...
还是…
an Oxford man.
牛津高材生
You know Oxford?
你知道牛津?
Yes, I've heard of it.
知道,我有听说过
Then you'd know that when it comes to married women... a man like this can be trusted.
他是可以带回家 介绍给太太认识的那种人
With a friend...
对于朋友…
with someone like you...
像你这种朋友
he'd never so much as look at your wife.
他瞄都不会乱瞄你老婆一眼
I'm not married.
我还没结婚
But you work on Wall Street, right?
但你在华尔街工作,对吗?
Yes.
Looking at my tiepin?
你在看我的领针?
Finest specimen of human...
这是上好的人类…
molar.
臼齿
Gentlemen.
二位
Everything all right?
一切都还好吗?
Yes! Yes. We...
对,对
We were just talking about other people's wives.
我们在谈论别人的老婆
Other people's wives?
别人的老婆?
- Yes. - Really?
- 对 - 真的吗?
Well, my work here is done. I'm going to leave you gentlemen...
我的任务完成了 我让你们…
to talk about your sports and your women.
聊聊体育和女人
Other people's wives.
别人的老婆
Hello, ladies.
小姐们好
Who is he, anyhow?
他是什么人?
An actor?
演员吗?
Meyer?
梅尔?
No, no. He's a gambler.
不,他是个赌徒
He's the man who fixed the 1919 World Series.
1919年世界大赛的假球案 就是他做的手脚
Fixed it?
做手脚?
Fixed it.
做手脚
Well, how'd he manage that?
他是怎么做到的?
Saw the opportunity, I suppose.
就是正好找到机会
He's a very smart man.
他是个聪明人
Now, old sport, about Miss Baker and that request we spoke of.
老哥,关于贝克小姐 和我要拜托的事
Nick? Nick!
尼克,尼克
Tom! Funny seeing you!
汤姆,真巧
- How have you been? - Yeah.
你最近怎么样?
- Good. - Nick, Daisy is furious...
- 很好 - 你没打电话来…
- that you haven't called. - Hey...
黛西气死了
Mr. Gatsby, this is Mr. Buchanan.
盖兹比先生,这位是布坎南先生
It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
很荣幸认识你
Yeah.
是啊
Never would have expected to find you in this temple...
没想到会在这种道德圣殿…
- of virtue. - I was having lunch...
- 看到你 - 我跟盖兹比先生…
with Mr. Gatsby.
来吃午餐
(箭牌衣领)
- Can I help you, sir? - Jordan Baker...
- 能效劳吗?先生 - 我找卓丹贝克
the famous sporting star? The golfer? I see.
体育明星,高球选手
I've spotted her. Thank you.
我看到她了,谢谢
There you are.
在这里
What game are you and Gatsby...
你跟盖兹比在玩…
Playing at?
什么把戏?
- The gentleman will be joining...? - Excuse me.
- 这位先生想要… - 抱歉
- Nick, please. - It's all rather...
- 尼克,拜托坐下 - 实在…
strange. He picks me up in his fancy car.
太怪了 开着黄色拉风跑车来接我
- Going on about... - Keep your...
滔滔不绝…
- his life. - Voice down.
- 小声点 - 讲述生平
People can hear you.
大家都听得到
What is...
他到底…
this enormous request?
要我干嘛?卓丹
He wants you to invite Daisy to tea.
他想托你约黛西喝茶
Daisy?
黛西?
And Gatsby.
和盖兹比…
Why?
为什么?
I don't quite know where to start.
我不知该从何说起
You see, I didn't realize until the other night that...
我也是那晚才知道…
I'd met Gatsby.
原来我见过盖兹比
Five years ago. In Louisville.
五年前,在路易维尔
It was the day I got my new English golf shoes.
我那天新买了英国高尔夫鞋
Daisy...
黛西…
was by far the most popular girl with...
大受泰勒营军官的…
the officers from Camp Taylor.
欢迎
Hello, Jordan.
嗨,卓丹
One of them was...
其中一名…
in the car with her.
坐在她车里
It was Gatsby.
那就是盖兹比
The way he looked at her is the way...
他用女孩们…
all girls want to be looked at.
梦寐以求的眼神看着她
So...
告诉我…
tell me what happened.
发生什么事
Well, I don't know.
我也不知道
Charge!
进攻
Gatsby was sent off...
盖兹比被送上…
to war.
战场
When the war ended...
战争结束后
Daisy waited.
黛西等着他
But for some unknown reason, Gatsby couldn't return.
但因为某些不明原因 盖兹比未能回来
A year later, Tom Buchanan of Chicago swept in and stole her away.
一年后来自芝加哥的汤姆布坎南 把她迷倒,抱得美人归
He gave her a string of pearls worth $350,000.
他送她一串 价值三十五万元的珍珠
But the morning of the wedding...
但在他们婚礼的早晨…
- Daisy received a letter. - Tell them...
- 黛西收到一封信 - 请跟他们说…
Daisy's changed her mind!
黛西不嫁了
- What is this? - Daisy, please!
- 怎么回事? - 黛西,拜托你
- Hand it to me! - No!
- 给我 - 不要
Leave me alone!
别烦我
Jordan, no one must know about this.
卓丹,别让人知道
- What was in the letter? - I don't know.
- 信里写了什么? - 我不知道
She wouldn't tell me.
她不肯说
But it was too late.
但一切都太迟了
That day at 5:00, Daisy Fay...
那天五点,黛西费…
married Tom Buchanan...
嫁给了汤姆布坎南
with more pomp and circumstance than Louisville had ever seen.
那是路易维尔 前所未见的奢华婚礼
Congratulations, Mr. Buchanan!
After the honeymoon, I saw them in Santa Barbara.
在蜜月后 我在圣塔芭芭拉见到他们
Well, it was touching, really. I'd never seen a girl so in love with her husband.
其实还满感人的,我从没见过 对先生这么痴狂的妻子
A week later, Tom...
一周后,汤姆…
crashed his car.
发生车祸
The girl with him was a chambermaid at the Santa Barbara Hotel.
和他在一起的是旅馆女佣
It got into all the papers.
这丑闻闹得很大
- It's a strange coincidence. - What is?
- 这真是奇怪的巧合 - 你指什么?
The fact that Gatsby's house is just across the bay.
我是说盖兹比的家就在对岸
It's no coincidence.
这才不是巧合
He bought that house to be near her.
他买那栋房子是为了接近她
He threw all those parties hoping she'd wander in one night.
他办派对是希望她某天会前来
He constantly asked about Daisy. I was just the first person that knew her.
他一直打听黛西 我刚好是第一个认识她的人
All that for a girl he hasn't seen in five years.
这一切都为了 一个五年没见的女孩
And now he just wants me to invite her over to tea.
现在他只是要我邀她喝茶
The modesty of it.
这么低调
Kind of takes your breath...
真让人…
- away, doesn't it? - Evening, sweethearts. Where are...
- 惊叹,对不对? - 晚安,两位小朋友…
you kids going?
想去哪?
- Long Island, please. - And you think...
- 麻烦到长岛 - 你觉得…
I should. I mean, does Daisy want to see Gatsby?
我应该吗? 我是说,黛西想见盖兹比吗?
She's absolutely not to know.
绝对不能让她知道
You're supposed to invite her over...
你只要邀请她去你家
so he can happen to pass by.
让他有机会巧遇
I remember feeling torn.
我记得感觉很两难
Was it right to bring my cousin Daisy, a married woman...
我该帮助已婚的黛西表妹…
together with a man I hardly knew?
和一个我并不熟的人重聚吗?
When I returned home, Gatsby's was lit from tower to cellar...
当我回家时 盖兹比大宅灯火通明
as if for another wild party.
看来彷佛又在举行狂欢派对
But there wasn't a sound.
但四下寂静无声
- Thank you. - Have a good night.
- 谢谢你 - 晚安,先生
Your place looks like the World's Fair...
你家看起来像世界博览会…
or Coney Island.
或是康尼岛
- Does it? - Yes.
- 是吗? - 是
Well, I've just been glancing...
我只是稍微看看…
into some of the rooms. What do you say we...
一些房间的样子 去康尼岛…
go to Coney Island? We could take my car.
走走如何,老哥? 可以开我的车
It's too late tonight.
太晚了
We could take a plunge in the pool. I haven't made use of it all summer.
那去我的泳池游泳 我整个夏天还没下过水
I must go to bed.
我得去睡了
All right.
好吧
Happy to do it.
我很乐意
I'm going to call Daisy and...
我会打给黛西
- invite her to tea. - That's all right...
- 请她来喝茶 - 没问题,我…
- What day would suit you? - What day would suit you?
- 哪天方便呢? - 随你方便
I don't want to put you to any trouble.
我不想添麻烦
Day after tomorrow all right?
后天行吗?
Day after tomorrow?
后天?
Well, I... I'd...
这…
See, I'd want to get the grass cut.
我想把草坪修整一下
Well, look here, old sport.
听我说,老哥
You don't make much money, do you?
你钱赚得不多,对吗?
- Not really. - If you'll forgive me...
- 不太多 - 恕我冒昧
You see, I happen to run a little business on the side. A sort of sideline.
我兼做点小生意,算是副业
You understand what I'm saying, right? You do sell bonds...
你懂我在说什么,对不对? 你是卖债券的…
don't you, old sport?
对吗?
- I'm trying to. - Right.
我努力在卖
Well, happens to be a rather...
这刚好是…
confidential sort of thing...
满机密的生意
but you might make a nice bit of money.
但你能从旁赚一大笔
- No, thank you. I have my hands full. - You wouldn't have to do...
- 不,谢了,我已经很忙了 - 你不必和渥夫斯罕…
any business with Wolfshiem, I assure you.
打交道,我保证
It's a favor, Jay. Just a favor.
这只是个小忙,杰伊,举手之劳
Yes. Happy to do it.
是的,我很乐意
- Favor? - Yes.
- 举手之劳 - 对
Well, good night.
那就晚安吧
Good night.
晚安
Good morning.
早安
One of the papers says they thought the rain would stop about 4.
有家报纸说雨四点就会停
I think it was the... I think it was the Journal.
我想是日报吧
Just in to the right, gentlemen. To the right...
往右,全往…
in the living room. Thank you.
客厅里放,谢谢
Is everything all right?
一切都还好吗?
The grass looks fine, if that's what you mean.
不错呀,你是在问草坪的话
Grass?
草坪?
What grass?
什么草坪?
I bought cakes.
我买了蛋糕
Have you...
还缺…
Have you got everything you need?
什么东西吗?
Perhaps more flowers.
或许该再来些花
I think they did a fine job, don't you?
我觉得他们布置得挺不错 你觉得呢?
Beautiful.
很漂亮
You think it's too much?
你觉得太夸张吗?
I think it's what you want.
我觉得这是你想要的
I think so too.
我也这么觉得
I can't...
我不能…
wait all day.
在这等上一天
I'm leaving.
我要走了
Don't be silly. It's two minutes to 4.
别闹了,再两分钟就四点
No one's coming to tea! It's too...
不会有人来喝茶的
It's her!
是她
Is this absolutely where you live, my dearest one?
亲爱的,你真的住这里?
Yes, it suits me.
对,很适合我
Why did I have...
我为何…
to come alone? Are you in love with me?
得独自前来? 你爱上我了吗?
It's the secret of Carraway Castle.
那是卡洛威城堡的秘密
- Tell your chauffeur to go far away. - Come back in an hour...
- 请你司机闪得越远越好 - 一小时后再来接我
Ferdie.
福弟
His name is Ferdie.
他叫福弟
My goodness.
我的老天
I can't believe it.
我不敢相信
You... Did you ransack a greenhouse?
你抢了哪家温室吗?
He is in love with me.
他真的爱上我了
Would you?
麻烦你
That's funny.
真好笑
What's funny?
什么真好笑?
What are you doing?
你在干嘛?
I'm certainly glad to see you again.
能再见到你我很高兴
Hi. I'm...
我…
I'm certainly glad to see you, as well.
也很高兴再次见到你
We've... We've...
我们…
We've met before.
我们以前见过
I'll have someone come repair this...
我会立刻…
immediately.
请人来修
Sorry about the clock.
很抱歉,那个钟
- That's an old clock. - Lovely, though.
- 那是个老钟 - 不过很可爱
- A lovely clock. - Yes.
- 可爱的老钟 - 对
We haven't met for many years.
我们好多年没见
Five years next November.
到11月就五年了
Tea?
喝茶吗?
- Yes, thank you, old sport. - Thank you.
- 好的,谢谢你,老哥 - 亲爱的,谢谢你
- Lemon or sugar? - Neither.
- 要柠檬或糖吗? - 都不要
Plain. Thank you.
我也不要,谢谢
I just have to pop...
我得快速…
- into town. - Town?
- 进城一下 - 进城
I'll be right back.
我,马上就回来
Nick, I've...
尼克,我…
gotta speak to you.
有事得跟你说
- Yes. I'll be right back. - God.
- 好,我,马上就回来 - 老天
This was a mistake. This was a terrible, terrible mistake.
这是个错误 这是个天大的错误
You're just embarrassed. Daisy's embarrassed too.
你只是不好意思 黛西也觉得尴尬
- She's embarrassed? - Yes.
- 她很尴尬? - 对
Just as much as you are.
跟你一样尴尬
- Don't talk so loud. - Hey.
别这么大声
You're acting like a little boy. You're being rude. Daisy's...
你举止像个小男生一样 这样很没礼貌
in there all alone and you're...
把黛西一个人丢在里面…
Looking over my story so far...
现在回头看这个故事
I'm reminded that for the second time that summer...
我才想起 这是那年夏天第二次…
I was guarding other people's secrets.
我帮别人保守秘密
Once again, I was within...
再一次,我既是当局者迷…
and without.
又是旁观者清
It's stopped raining.
雨停了
Yes.
It has, hasn't it?
的确停了,对不对?
What do you think of that, Daisy?
你觉得风景如何,黛西?
Come look.
过来看
Oh, Nicky. How funny.
尼奇,真有趣
Look, it's my house.
你看,那是我家
Just there across the bay.
就在对岸
I know.
我知道
I have the same view from my place.
从我家望出去也是同样景色
Where's your place?
你家在哪里?
Nick...
尼克
I want you and Daisy to come over to my house. I'd like to show her around.
我请你和黛西一起来我家 我想带她参观
You sure you want me to come?
你确定要我一起去?
Absolutely, old sport.
当然,老哥
Absolutely.
当然
Ladner, open the gates.
蓝德,把大门打开
Open the gates!
打开大门
I had the gates brought in from a castle in Normandy.
这是从诺曼第运来的古堡大门
Oh, Jay.
杰伊
- It's so grand. - You like it?
- 好宏伟 - 你喜欢吗?
I love it.
我爱死了
But how do you live here...
但你一个人住那么…
- all alone? - Well, I don't.
- 大房子 - 不是一个人
I keep it always full of interesting, celebrated people.
我常邀请各种有趣名人来同欢
Come with me.
跟我来
The house looks well, doesn't it?
房子看起来不错,对吗?
See the way the whole front catches the light like that?
整个门面很闪亮
Oh, it's splendid.
看起来金碧辉煌
Come on, you two. I want...
快点,你们两个,我要…
the royal tour.
全套导览
You must understand that I like all things that are modern. Presses the orange...
我喜欢各式摩登的东西 用力压柳橙…
it all comes out there.
汁会从这里出来
Yay!
Anyone for a round of golf?
谁想玩高尔夫吗?
- You do know I'm a champion golfer? - Great!
- 你知道我是高球冠军,对吧 - 好极了
Well, go on.
来啊
I thought we could...
Remarkable little camera. Latest design.
很棒的摄影机,对吗? 这是最新的设计
I'll show you how it's done.
我让你瞧瞧我的球技
- Nick, keep filming. - All right.
- 尼克,继续拍 - 好
- She's gonna take a swing. - I'm ready.
- 她要挥杆了 - 我准备好了
Aim. Fore!
前面当心
I'm such a brute.
我真是笨手笨脚
- You ready for your close-up? - I don't want to forget...
- 准备拍特写了吗? - 我不想忘记…
- a single moment. - You're shimmering.
- 任何一刻 - 你在发光
She looks like she could be on the cover of Vogue.
她像是时尚杂志的封面女郎 不是吗?
Turn on the camera!
快把摄影机打开
- Where did you go? - Slow down.
- 你跑哪去了? - 慢点
Slow down.
慢点
(盖氏)
It's beautiful.
好美
- It's a custom Wurlitzer. - Can anyone...
- 这是订制的管风琴 - 有人…
play that?
会弹吗?
Klipspringer can. Someone wake Ewing.
克力卜史普林格就会 去叫醒尤因
- Of course, sir. - Music!
- 遵命,先生 - 有了音乐…
And then we can dance...
我们就能整晚…
- all night. - Ewing's a genius, plays anything.
- 跳舞 - 尤因是交响乐天才,什么都会
- Then I demand a Charleston. - She makes it look so splendid...
- 那我要点查尔斯顿舞曲 - 她让一切看起来光彩夺目
don't you think, old sport?
对吗?老哥
I have a man in England...
我请人在英国…
who buys me clothes.
帮我采购衣服
I've never seen anything like it.
我从没看过像这样的房间
Something for the lady.
这个很适合女士
He sends over a selection at...
每当换季,他会寄来…
the beginning of each season.
一系列的新装
These are silk.
这些是纯丝
- Jay! - These are flannel.
- 杰伊 - 这些是法兰绒
They're so beautiful!
它们好美
Indian cotton.
印度棉
Stop it. Jay!
住手,杰伊
Linen.
亚麻
Nicky...
尼奇
- he's a madman! - I can't help you!
- 他疯了 - 我帮不了你
Flannel!
法兰绒
You're going to have to refold...
你得再一件件…
every single one of them.
折回去
You'll ruin them!
你会把它们弄坏的
Jay! Stop it.
杰伊,住手
- Right here! - No!
- 接好 - 不要
Jay!
杰伊
What is it?
怎么了?
Daisy, Daisy, darling, what is it?
黛西,黛西亲爱的,怎么了?
It makes me sad.
我觉得好伤心
Why?
为什么?
Because...
因为…
Five lost years...
黛西想要诉说…
struggled on Daisy's lips.
五年的思念之情
But all she could manage was:
但她唯一能说出的却是…
Why?
为什么?
Because I've never seen such beautiful shirts before.
因为我从没看过这么漂亮的衬衫
If it wasn't for the mist...
要不是因为起雾…
we could see the green light.
我们就能看见绿光
What green light?
什么绿光?
The one that burns all night...
你家船坞整晚…
at the end of your dock.
闪亮的那个
Possibly...
或许…
it had occurred to Gatsby that...
盖兹比有想到…
the colossal significance of that light...
那绿光所代表的重大意义…
had vanished forever.
从此烟消云散
Now it was once again...
现在它又变回…
just a green light on a dock.
船坞上一盏平凡的绿灯
And his count of enchanted objects had diminished by one.
这世间迷惑他的事物 从此又少了一件
Who's this?
这是谁?
- Your father? - Oh, no.
- 你父亲吗? - 不
That's Mr. Dan Cody, old sport.
这是丹恩寇迪先生,老哥
He's dead now.
他去世了
He used to be my best friend many years ago.
多年前他是我最好的朋友
You never told me...
你没跟我说…
you had a pompadour. Or a yacht.
你留过飞机头 或是有游艇
I wanna show you something.
我想让你看样东西
Have a seat.
坐下
These are a lot of clippings I collected.
这是我收集的剪贴簿
About you.
是关于你的
You saved my letters.
你保留了我所有的信
This was my first...
这是你给我的…
photo of you.
第一张照片
You remember...
你记得…
- this letter here? - We can't lose each other...
- 这封信吗? - 我们不能失去彼此
and let all this...
让这…
glorious love...
辉煌的爱…
end in nothing. Come home.
化为乌有,回家吧
(黛西费文定)
I'll be here waiting and hoping...
我会在这里等待和盼望
for every...
希望…
long dream of you to come true.
你的所有梦想成真
Excuse me.
失陪一下
- Sir, Slagle's in Detroit. - I can't talk now, old sport.
- 先生,史雷格到了底特律 - 我现在不方便说话,老哥
He must know what a small town is.
他总该知道小地方是什么意思
No, you listen to me. Listen to me.
不,你听我说,听我说
I said a small town.
我说小地方
He must know what a small...
他应该知道小地方…
town is.
是指什么
Listen to me, he's of no use to us if Detroit is his idea...
听我说,要是他认为底特律很小
of a small town, you understand?
那他对我们也没用了,懂吗?
We'll chat later, old sport.
我们晚点再聊,老哥
All right.
好的
Klipspringer.
克力卜史普林格
He must be awake.
他一定醒了
Shall we?
要来吗?
I wish I'd done everything on earth with you.
真希望能跟你一起 体验世上的一切
All my life.
我的一生
I wish it could always be like this.
希望能一直这样
It Will be.
会的
If only it had been enough for Gatsby...
要是盖兹比能满足于…
just to hold Daisy.
拥抱着黛西就好了
But he had a grand vision for his life and Daisy's part in it.
但他对人生有远大计划 黛西也包含其中
It wasn't until the end of that summer...
一直到夏天的尾声
on the last night I saw Gatsby...
在我看到盖兹比的最后一夜
that he told me of the life he had dreamed for himself since...
他才告诉我他从小…
he was a boy.
就替自己幻想的人生
You see, doctor...
是这样的,医生
Gatsby's real name was...
盖兹比的本名是…
James Gatz.
杰姆士盖兹
His parents were dirt-poor farmers from North Dakota.
他的父母是 来自北达科塔的贫穷农夫
But he never accepted them as his parents at all.
他从没接受他们是真正的父母
In his own imagination, he was a son of God...
在他的幻想中,他是神子
destined for...
注定要…
future glory.
飞黄腾达
Chasing this destiny, a 16-year-old Gatz ran far, far away.
为了追寻梦想 盖兹在16岁时远走他乡
One afternoon, off the coast of Lake Superior, he spotted a yacht in peril.
某天下午在苏必略湖岸 他发现一艘处于危急状态的船
He rowed out and rescued the vessel...
他划小船前去搭救
and its captain, alcoholic millionaire Dan Cody.
船主是酒鬼百万富翁丹恩寇迪
Where's the boat?
船在哪里?
You're gonna hit the shoal!
你要撞上暗礁了
We're gonna hit the shoal!
快点先生,我们要撞上暗礁了
What the hell are you doing...
你在搞什么?
- old sport? - This was...
- 老哥 - 这是…
his opportunity and he seized it.
他的机会,他一把抓住
And I decided...
我当下…
right then and there to call myself Jay Gatsby.
立刻决定改名为杰伊盖兹比
He sailed the yacht out of danger...
他把游艇驶出危险…
and into his future.
也驶向自己的未来
Gatsby showed skill and ambition.
盖兹比展现出能力和抱负
And for five years, they sailed the world.
之后五年,他们一起环游世界
GATSBY'. He was all right, old Dan.
他还不错,那个老丹
He taught me everything.
教导我一切
How to dress, act and speak like a gentleman.
如何穿着举止,如何像绅士那样谈话
Gatsby. Jay Gatsby.
杰伊盖兹比
She looks well, doesn't she...
她看起来很棒,对不对?
Gatsby hoped to inherit Cody's fortune.
盖兹比希望能继承寇迪的财产
- old sport? - But when Cody died...
- 老哥 - 但当寇迪去世时…
Gatsby was cheated of his inheritance by Cody's family.
盖兹比的继承权被寇迪家人骗走
He'd been left with the ability to play the gentleman...
他现在虽有乔装成绅士的能力
but he was once again dirt-poor.
但他再次一文不名
(盖兹比惊人的财富)
By midsummer, Gatsby was front page news.
在仲夏时日 盖兹比成为头条人物
(盖兹比投资摩天大楼)
(杰伊替一切买单)
(盖兹比的钱从哪来? 神秘百万财富引发谣言)
Where did the money come from?
钱从何而来?
That's what all of New York...
全纽约的人…
wanted to know.
都想知道这件事
And it was the same question on Tom's mind...
当汤姆陪黛西 出席盖兹比奢华派对时…
when he accompanied Daisy to one of Gatsby's glittering parties.
他心里也有同样疑惑
I'll be right back.
我,马上回来
You know, a lot of these...
你知道这些…
newly rich people are just...
暴发户都是…
- filthy bootleggers. - Not Gatsby.
- 低级的私酒商 - 盖兹比不是
He's a businessman. He owned a lot of drugstores.
他是生意人 他拥有很多家药房
Businessman!
生意人
May I introduce Senator Gulick? This is...
请容我介绍高立克参议员 这位是…
- Mr. Carraway. - Senator.
- 卡洛威先生 - 参议员
- Mrs. Buchanan. - Charmed.
- 布坎南夫人 - 深感荣幸
Delighted.
幸会
And Mr. Buchanan...
这位是布坎南先生
the polo player.
马球高手
- No, not me. - Always a pleasure...
- 不,我才不是 - 久仰…
to meet a Buchanan.
布坎南家的大名
- Likewise. - I'll catch up with you later.
- 彼此彼此 - 参议员,我们待会聊
- Perhaps at the craps table. - I'd rather not be the polo player.
- 或许在赌桌上见 - 我不喜欢被称为马球高手
Tom. You should be proud of your achievements.
汤姆,你该以你的成就为荣
May I show you around?
可以带你们四处参观吗?
Sure.
当然
You must know the faces...
你今晚肯定看到…
- of many people you've heard of! - Absolutely.
- 很多名人 - 绝对如此
We don't go around very much. I don't think I recognize...
我们不太常出来走动 我没看到…
- a single person. - Is that so?
- 半个熟面孔 - 是吗?
Perhaps you know that lady...
或许你认得那边…
- right there. - It's Marlene Moon. I adore her pictures.
- 那位女士 - 那是玛琳伍德,我好爱她的电影
Would you like me to introduce you?
要我介绍你认识吗?
I'd really rather not be the polo player.
我不想被称为马球高手
These things excite me so.
这些东西让我好兴奋
Nice little dance.
可爱的舞蹈
I believe we've met before, Mr. Buchanan.
我想我们以前见过,布坎南先生
About a month ago.
大约一个月前
That's right.
没错
And you were with Nick here.
你跟尼克在一起
- At the barbershop. - No, thank you.
- 在理容院 - 不用,谢谢
That's right.
没错
See, I know your wife.
我跟你妻子很熟
That so?
是吗?
Yes.
Mr. Gatsby, sir.
盖兹比先生
- Mr. Slagle is here. - Not now. Not now.
- 史雷格先生来了 - 现在不行
And Guitars with:
现在为大家带来一首…
"The Foxtrot."
《狐步舞曲》
Mr. Buchanan.
布坎南先生
Would you mind terribly?
你介意吗?
Of course not.
当然不介意
I think I can keep myself amused.
我想我得自己找乐子了
In case you need to take down any addresses.
以防你要记下谁的地址
Please move aside. Excuse me.
麻烦让一让,抱歉
Another swell party, Jay.
又一个成功的派对,杰伊
Be careful for the snake charmer, Mr. McLennehan.
小心女私酒商,卡宁拉汉先生
Is all this made entirely...
这些全都来自…
from your own imagination?
你一人的灵感?
No.
You see, you were there all along...
你一直参与其中
in every idea...
每个灵感
in every decision.
每个决定
Of course, if anything is not to your liking...
不过如果你不喜欢
I'll change it.
我立刻改
It's perfect.
完美极了
From your perfect...
来自你完美…
irresistible imagination.
令人无法抗拒的想像力
I wonder...
真不知…
where the devil he met Daisy.
他是在哪认识黛西的
- I'll find you. - All right.
- 等下见 - 好
Come with me.
跟我来
Coming through, please.
借过,麻烦一下
Pardon me.
抱歉
Thank you.
谢谢
There's a man There's a man
Have you seen my wife?
有看到我太太吗?
No.
没有
Not for a while.
没看到一会了
Whiskey.
威士忌
It's funny, the senator just saw her down here.
真奇怪 参议员刚才在楼下看到她
I wish we could just run away.
真希望我们能私奔
Run away?
私奔?
No.
Daisy, darling, that...
黛西亲爱的
- That wouldn't be respectable. - You live...
- 那太不光彩了 - 你住…
around here, Nick?
这附近,尼克?
Just next door.
就在隔壁
Is that so?
是吗?
GATSBY'. We're gonna live here...
我们要住在…
in this house.
这栋房子里
You...
你…
and me.
和我
Darling...
亲爱的
it's time to tell Tom.
是时候告诉汤姆了
Come on, boys.
来吧,兄弟
Scram!
Good night, gentlemen.
晚安,各位
What a circus.
真是场闹剧
Well...
if you see her...
如果你看到她
I'll be looking for her.
就说我在找她
You tell her.
你跟她说
Remember how much fun we had?
记得我们以前多开心吗?
I don't know why we can't just have fun like that again.
为何不能再那样开心玩在一起
Hello?
Hello, Nicky.
嗨,尼克
We're having a row.
我们在讨论事情
- What about? - About...
- 讨论什么? - 关于…
things.
一些事
About the future.
关于未来
The future of...
有色人种…
the colored empires.
帝国之未来
It's Tom.
汤姆…
- He's wandering around the party looking... - Sir.
- 四处在找你 - 先生
Mr. Gatsby, sir.
盖兹比先生
It's Mr. Slagle. He's quite emotional.
史雷格先生在闹脾气
Excuse me.
恕我失陪
Nick. Would you mind terribly?
尼克,你介意护花一下吗?
Of course.
当然不介意
Gatsby disappeared...
盖兹比离开…
to deal with a dispute of some sort.
处理一些纷争
Daisy waited...
黛西等了一会
but Gatsby was unable to return.
但盖兹比无法回来
With these hot-headed types in here, I rely on you.
那些冲动无脑的人 我全靠你调停
But you were not available. A scene was made.
你很忙,结果惹出乱子来了
What's going on with you, Jay?
你是怎么回事,杰伊?
Where were you?
你跑哪去了?
With Nicky. Mr. Gatsby was showing us the grounds.
跟尼克一起 盖兹比带我们四处参观
He certainly must have...
他是怎么找来…
strained himself to get this menagerie together.
这群五花八门的人
I'd like to know who he is and what he does.
我想知道他是谁,做什么的
And I think I'll make a point of finding out.
我保证要查个清楚
(永志不渝)
- I'm not sure. Ask them in the kitchen. - To the left.
我不确定,问问厨房的人
Yeah...
we'll pile that stuff in the garage, it's going back to town.
我们把那些堆在车库 那些要运回城里
Well...
there you are. Daisy just left.
你在这里,黛西刚离开
She asked me to tell you...
她要我告诉你…
she had a wonderful time.
她玩得很开心
She didn't like it.
她不喜欢
Of course she did.
她当然喜欢
No, no, no.
不不不
No, she didn't like it. She did not have a good time.
她不喜欢,她玩得不开心
I feel so far...
我感觉…
away from her now.
距离她好遥远
It's so hard to make her understand.
好难让她理解
You mean about the party?
你是说派对?
The party?
派对?
I couldn't care less about the parties.
我根本不在乎这些派对
That'll be all for now, gentlemen.
这样就行了,各位
- Thank you. - Thank you, sir.
- 谢谢 - 谢谢,先生
You see...
你瞧
she has to tell Tom that she never loved him.
她得告诉汤姆她从没爱过他
What?
什么?
Yes.
Then we can go back to Louisville to her parents' house.
然后我们可以回路易维尔 她父母的家
Her parents are lovely people, old sport. We'll be...
她父母人很好,老哥 我们要…
married there.
在那里结婚
See...
你瞧
See, Daisy and I are gonna start over just as if it were five years ago.
黛西和我要重新开始 就像五年前那样
I wouldn't ask too much of her.
要是我就不会要求太多
Wouldn't ask too much?
要求太多?
No.
I beg your pardon, old sport. It's just...
抱歉,老哥
It's so sad, because it's so hard to make her...
我很伤心,因为很难让她…
understand.
明白
It's so hard to make her understand.
真的很难让她理解
I've gotten all these things for her, and now she just wants to run away.
我替她准备了这些 而她却只想要逃走
She even wants...
她想要…
- to leave that. - Jay.
- 放弃这一切 - 杰伊
You can't repeat the past.
往事无法重来
Can't repeat the past?
往事无法重来?
No.
不行
Why, of course you can.
当然可以
Of course you can.
你当然可以
I'm gonna fix things...
我要把一切恢复成…
just the way they were before.
从前的样子
Everything's been so confused since then. I...
从那之后一切令人困惑
He talked a lot about the past...
他谈到很多过去
as if he wanted to recover something.
就好像他想要收复失土
If I could just get back to the start...
如果我能重头再来过
If I could just get back to the start...
如果我能重头再来过
I could find it again.
就能找回失落的自己
Some vision...
他似乎透过…
of himself that he had put into loving Daisy.
爱上黛西给自己设下定位
One night in Louisville, five years ago...
五年前在路易维尔的一个晚上
Gatsby found himself at Daisy's house by colossal accident.
盖兹比意外的来到黛西家
"GATSBY". I went to her house first with some of the officers from Camp Taylor.
我跟泰勒营的军官一起来到她家
I'd never been in such a beautiful house.
我以前从没看过这么漂亮的房子
May I save the next dance?
能跟我跳下一支舞吗,黛西小姐?
His uniform hid...
他的制服…
the truth that he was...
掩盖了真相
a penniless young man...
他是个身无分文的年轻人
with only that...
他有的…
grand vision of himself.
只有对自己远大的计划
- Daisy, don't scamper. - I was not, Mother.
- 黛西,别蹦蹦跳跳的 - 我没有,母亲
So many dashing young officers here.
好多英俊的年轻军官
And from such illustrious families.
来自非常卓越的家庭
GATSBY'. I always knew that I could climb.
我总是知道我能往上爬
But I could only climb...
但我必须…
if I climbed alone.
了无牵挂
I knew...
我在…
that when I...
亲吻她时…
kissed this girl...
就知道了
I would be...
我…
forever wed to her.
爱上她了
So I stopped.
所以我迟疑了
I stopped and I...
我迟疑了
I Waited.
我等待
I Waited...
我等候…
for a moment longer.
片刻
He knew...
他知道…
his mind would never again be free to romp like...
自己之后再也无法 天马行空地…
the mind of God.
再造自己
That falling in love...
坠入爱河…
would change his destiny...
会永远改变…
forever.
他的命运
And then I just let myself go.
然后我决定放纵自己
She blossomed for him like a flower...
她像花朵般为他绽放
and the incarnation was complete.
他今后的命运底定
I knew it was a great mistake for a man like me to fall in love.
我知道像我这样的人 坠入爱河是一大错误
I'm only 32. I might still be a great man if I could forget that I once...
我才32岁,如果能释怀失去黛西 还是可以…
lost Daisy, but...
成就大事业
my life, old sport, my life...
但我的人生,老哥,我的人生
My life has got to be like this.
我的人生必须如此
It's got to keep going up.
得不断往上爬
She has to go to Tom...
她得跟汤姆谈
and tell him that she never loved him.
让他知道她从没爱过他
I just need to give her more time, old sport.
我只需要给她更多时间,老哥
More time.
更多时间
Don't worry, old sport. Don't worry.
别担心,老哥,别担心
I can protect her here.
我在这里可以保护她
Good night, old sport.
晚安,老哥
You're wrong about the past, old sport.
过去是可以重来的,老哥
You're wrong.
你是错的
There had been music from my neighbor's...
整个夏季,隔壁不断传来…
all summer.
音乐声
In his blue gardens, men and girls came and went like moths...
在他的蓝色花园里 男人女人像飞蛾扑火般涌入
among the whisperings and the laughter and the stars.
交织着细语、笑声和星光
Breakfast.
早餐
Yes.
Thank you, thank you.
谢谢,谢谢
Laughter.
笑声
Thank you.
谢谢
No. The whisperings and the champagne and the stars.
不,是交织着细语 香槟和星光
But...
但是…
after Tom and Daisy's visit...
汤姆和黛西造访过后…
Gatsby's lights went out one by one.
盖兹比家的灯一盏盏熄灭了
There were no more parties.
不再举行派对
Daisy visited discreetly.
黛西秘密造访
For the very same fame that had all summer...
那些在夏季曾令杰伊盖兹比…
been a source of satisfaction to Jay Gatsby...
感到愉悦的报导
had become a threat.
如今却变成一种威胁
(谁是这位神秘女子)
I don't wanna go home.
我不想回家
I hear you fired all your servants.
我听说你解雇了所有佣人
Daisy comes over sometimes in the afternoon.
黛西有时会下午过来
I wanted people who wouldn't gossip until we decide what we're going to do.
在我们决定何去何从前 我需要口风紧的人
You see, these towns...
这两座…
are very close together, old sport...
城市很接近,老哥
and, well, it gets in the papers, you understand.
如果一旦被报纸登出来 你了解的…
They're all people Wolfshiem wanted to do something for.
这些都是渥夫斯罕介绍来的人
What's the difference as long as they can cook...
只要会煮饭铺床,谁来做…
and make beds, right?
都没差
Nick...
尼克
Daisy's ready. She's ready.
黛西准备好了,她准备好了
There's just one thing.
只有一件事
She's requested that you and Miss Baker be there for lunch tomorrow at her house.
她希望你和贝克小姐 明天去她家吃午餐
Will you come, old sport?
你能来吗,老哥?
Daisy needs you.
黛西需要你
I'll...
我…
We need you.
我们需要你
Can you come, old sport?
你能来吗,老哥?
You know, I read somewhere...
我不知道在哪读过…
that the sun is getting hotter every year.
太阳每年都越变越热
Wait a minute.
等等
It's the opposite.
是完全相反的
Sun is getting colder...
太阳每年…
every year.
都变冷
I would like to be out...
真希望今天…
on that bay today.
能乘船出海
I'm right across from you.
我就住你对岸
Right there.
就在那里
So you are.
原来如此
You see...
你瞧
every night...
每晚…
I can see...
我都能看见…
that light...
你家船坞底的…
at the end of your dock blinking.
灯在闪烁
What light?
什么灯?
You see, Mr. Buchanan...
是这样的,布坎南先生
I wanted to be close.
我希望离此地近一点
- Daisy and I have both... - It's so hot!
- 黛西和我都希望… - 热死人了
Everything's...
每件事…
so confused.
都好混乱
What'll we do this afternoon...
我们下午要做什么才好
or the day after that, or for the next 30 years?
还有明天,或未来三十年?
Don't be morbid.
别这么夸张
Let's go to town. Who wants to go to town?
我们进城吧,谁想要进城?
Town?
进城?
Women get these...
女人总是爱乱出…
notions.
主意
Daisy.
黛西
You look so cool.
你看起来好冷静
You always look so cool...
你看起来总是好冷静
like the advertisement...
像是时代广场…
of the man in Times Square.
广告看板上的人一样
The man...
穿着…
in the cool, beautiful shirts.
时髦漂亮衬衫的男人
She had told...
她简直当众…
Gatsby that she loved him...
跟盖兹比示爱
and Tom...
而汤姆…
had seen.
也瞧出端倪
Let's go to town.
我们进城吧
I'm perfectly willing.
我很乐意
It's a marvelous idea.
这点子真棒
Henri! Have the car...
亨利,把车子…
brought around now.
- 备好 - 就那样?
Can't anyone at least have...
先让我们…
- a cigarette first? - We smoked through lunch.
- 抽根烟吧? - 午餐时抽很多了
Come on, let's have fun. It's too hot to fuss.
开心就好 大热天的不要斗嘴
Daisy, it was your great idea.
黛西,这可是你提的主意
Why don't we? Let's all go to town.
就进城去玩吧
I changed my mind, you brute.
我改变主意了,大老粗
Come on. We'll get...
来嘛,我们…
a great big room at the Plaza...
在广场饭店租个大房间
a bucket of ice...
一桶冰
a bottle of whiskey...
一瓶威士忌
and it will be fun.
会很好玩的
Come on.
来嘛
It was your idea.
可是你出的主意喔
Fine. Have it your own way, Tom.
好,随你高兴,汤姆
Come on, Jordan.
来吧,卓丹
Will you join us, Mr. Gatsby?
一起来吧,盖兹比先生
Two bottles of whiskey. Wrap them in a towel.
两瓶威士忌,用毛巾包好
Come on, Nick!
来吧,尼克
Mr. Gatsby...
盖兹比先生
would you be good enough to take...
你就开我的…
my coupe, and I'll drive everyone else...
双门小跑车 我用你的马戏团大篷车…
- in your circus wagon. - I don't think...
- 载其他人 - 我想…
there's much gas, old sport.
我的汽油不够了,老哥
No, plenty of gas.
不,汽油很多
Well, if I run out, I'll stop...
如果油用完了,我去…
at a drugstore. I hear you can...
找家药局 我听说这年头…
buy anything at a drugstore nowadays.
药局什么都卖
You take Nick and Jordan.
你载尼克和卓丹
I suppose you can...
我想是…
- yes. - We'll meet you at the Plaza.
- 如此 - 我们在广场饭店见
I'll be the man on the corner...
有人在街角一口…
smoking two cigarettes!
抽两根烟,那就是我了
You must think I'm pretty dumb, don't you?
你们以为我蠢到没查觉吗?
Well, I have a second sight sometimes that tells me what to do.
有时我看两眼就知道该怎么做
I've made a small investigation into this fellow.
我已经请人调查这家伙
And you found he was...
你发现他是…
- an Oxford man? - Oxford, New Mexico.
- 牛津高材生? - 是牛筋吧
He wears a pink suit, for chrissake.
他还穿粉红色西装耶
Tom, we're almost out of gas.
汤姆,我们要没油了
Wilson!
韦尔森
Wilson!
韦尔森
What are you waiting for?
你在等什么?
Let's have some gas!
快来给我加油
Do I have to do it myself?
难道要我自己来?
You think I come here to admire the view?
你以为我来这里看风景的
- I'm sorry, I'm sick. - Why?
- 对不起,我生病了 - 为什么?
- Why, what's the matter? - I don't know.
- 你哪里不对劲? - 我也不知道
I'm all run down.
我全身无力
I need money...
而且急需…
- real bad. - What?
- 用钱 - 什么?
My wife and I, we wanna go West.
我太太和我想搬到西部
Your wife does?
你太太想搬?
Tom was feeling...
汤姆突然感到…
the hot whips of panic. His mistress...
一阵恐慌,一小时前…
and wife...
他还坐拥…
an hour ago so secure...
妻子和情妇
were both slipping from his control.
现在两人都要从他手中溜走
I wised up to something...
我这两天发现了些…
funny these last two days.
不太对劲的事
Yeah, she's going West...
所以不管她想不想…
whether she wants to or not.
都得跟我搬走
What do I owe you?
多少钱?
A dollar.
一块…
- $1.20. - You can have the car.
- 两毛钱 - 那辆车卖你
I'll send it over tomorrow!
我明天送来
Okay, fine, fine, fine.
好,够了,够了
Open another window.
再打开一扇窗
There aren't any more.
没别的窗了
Then telephone...
那打电话…
for an ax.
请他们送斧头来
Will you forget about the heat?
能不能别去想有多热?
You make it worse by crabbing about it.
一直抱怨只会更热
Why not let her alone, old sport?
能不能别烦她,老哥
That's a great expression...
你这个口头禅…
of yours, isn't it?
很有趣,是吧?
What is?
什么?
"Old sport."
“老哥”
- Where'd you pick it up? - See here.
- 你在哪学到的? - 汤姆
If you're going to make personal remarks...
如果你一直挑衅
I won't stay here a minute.
我立刻走人
Mr. Gatsby...
盖兹比先生
I understand that you're an Oxford man.
我听说你是牛津高材生
No, not exactly, no.
不,不完全是
Oh, yes, I understand that...
是吧,我听说…
you went to Oxford.
你在牛津读书
- Well, yes, I went there. - Sure.
- 是的,我的确念过 - 当然
- The man in the pink suit went to Oxford. - Tom.
- 粉红西装男是牛津高材生 - 汤姆
I said I went there, didn't I?
我说我读过,不是吗?
I heard you.
我听到了
I'd like to know when.
我想知道是何时
You'd like to know when.
你想知道是何时
Well, Mr. Gatsby?
说啊,盖兹比先生
It was in 1919. I only stayed there five months.
是1919年,我只读了五个月
That's why I can't exactly call myself...
所以不敢自称…
an Oxford man.
是读牛津的
You see, it was an opportunity they gave to some of us officers...
是这样的,他们提供机会 给参战的军官…
who fought in the war.
去牛津受教育
I wanted to get up and slap...
我想起身拍他的背
Gatsby on the back.
赞许盖兹比
I'll make you a drink, Tom.
我给你倒杯酒,汤姆
- Then you won't seem so stupid to yourself. - Wait a minute.
- 这样你才不会看起来那么呆 - 等等
I want to ask Mr. Gatsby one more question.
我想再问 盖兹比先生一个问题
Oh, please, please, go on, Mr. Buchanan. Go on.
请继续问,布坎南先生,问吧
What kind of a row are you trying to cause in my house anyhow?
你到底想在我家搅和些什么?
He isn't causing a row, you're causing a row. Please have a little self-control.
他没在搅和,搅和的是你 拜托你控制一下自己
Self-control?
控制一下自己?
Oh, I suppose...
我想…
the latest thing is to sit back...
现在时兴这套…
and let Mr. Nobody From Nowhere...
让来路不明的无名小卒…
make love to your wife.
勾搭自己的太太
Well, if that's the idea...
如果是这样…
you can count me out.
我可不吃这套
See, nowadays people...
这年头大家…
begin by sneering...
都不屑…
at family life and family institutions...
家庭生活和家庭制度
and the next you'll know, we'll...
接下来…
throw everything overboard, we'll have intermarriage...
就会天下大乱 下一步就是…
between black and white!
黑白通婚
Your wife doesn't love you.
你太太不爱你
She never...
她从来…
loved you.
没爱过你
You see, she loves me.
她爱的是我
You must be crazy.
你肯定疯了
No, old sport.
不,老哥
No, you see, she never loved you.
她从没爱过你
She only married you because I was poor...
她嫁给你只因我当时很穷
and she was tired of waiting. It was a terrible...
而她等累了 那是个天大的…
terrible mistake, but in her heart...
错误,但在她心中…
In her heart, she never loved...
从头到尾只爱过…
anyone but me.
我一人
- We should go. - Let's all go home.
- 我们该走了 - 我们都回家吧
- Sit down, Daisy! - Please.
- 坐下,黛西 - 拜托
Please, take a seat.
拜托,坐下
Go on, Daisy.
坐啊,黛西
Daisy...
黛西
what's been going on?
到底怎么回事?
- I want to hear about it. - I told you what's going on.
- 全告诉我 - 我已经告诉你什么事了
It's been going on for five years.
这事已经五年了
You've been seeing him...
你偷偷跟他…
for five years?
交往五年了?
No, no, no, not seeing. Not seeing, we couldn't. But...
不,没有交往,我们无法见面
both of us loved each other all that time. Didn't we?
但我们从头到尾都爱着彼此 对不对?
That's all.
就这样
You're crazy!
你是疯子
I can't speak about...
五年前的事…
what happened five years ago because I didn't know Daisy then.
我没话好说 因为我根本还不认识黛西
And I'll be damned if I see how you got within a mile of her...
我想不通当初你是怎么接近她的
unless you brought the groceries to the back door.
除非你从后门替她家送杂货
But all the rest of that...
但其他的…
is a goddamn lie.
全都是谎言
Daisy loved me...
黛西和我结婚时…
when she married me...
是爱我的
- and she loves me now. - No.
- 而且她现在也爱我 - 不
- No. I'm sorry, Mr. Buchanan, no. - She does! She does, though.
- 我很抱歉,布坎南先生 - 她爱,她还是爱我
No, she does, though.
不不,她还是…
She does. And what's more, I love Daisy too.
爱我的 更重要的是,我也爱黛西
No.
I love you, Daisy.
我爱你,黛西
Now, once in a while...
有时我的确…
I go off on a spree. I always come back.
会出去打打野食 但我总会回来
- A spree. - And in my heart I love her all the time.
- 打野食 - 但我心里始终爱着她
You're revolting.
你真令人作呕
You know why we left...
知道我们为何…
Chicago? I'm surprised they didn't treat you...
离开芝加哥? 我挺惊讶他们没把那故事…
to the story of that little spree!
当笑话讲给你听
That's all over now, Daisy, darling. That's all over.
那些都过去了,黛西甜心 那些都过去了
Just tell him the truth. Go on.
把实话告诉他,说啊
That you never loved him and this will all be wiped out forever.
说你从没爱过他 这一切枕像是没发生过
How could I love him...
我怎么可能…
- possibly? - Remember our plans.
- 会爱他 - 记住我们的计划
You tell him that you never loved him and all...
告诉他你从没爱过他 这些…
this pain will be wiped out...
痛苦将会永远…
forever.
烟消云散
Daisy.
黛西
Daisy, tell him.
黛西,告诉他
I never loved him.
我从没爱过他
Never?
从来没有?
- No. - No.
- 没有 - 没有
Not at Kapiolani?
在夏威夷时也不爱?
Not that day I carried you down from the Punch Bowl to keep your shoes dry?
就连那天我怕你鞋子弄脏 一路抱你下山?
Never?
从来不爱?
Please don't.
拜托别说了
Daisy.
黛西
There, Jay.
够了,杰伊
You want too much.
你想要的太多了
I love you now...
我现在是爱你的
isn't that enough? I can't help...
这还不够吗? 过去的事…
what's past.
我无法改变
I did love him once, but I loved you too.
我曾爱过他,但我同时也爱你啊
You loved me too?
你同时也爱我?
You loved me...?
你同时也爱我?
Even that is a lie!
那也是谎言
She didn't know you were alive!
她当时不知你是死是活
There are things between Daisy and me...
黛西和我之间有很多事…
Gatsby, that you'll never know.
你永远不会懂,盖兹比
- Things that neither of us can ever forget. - I need to...
- 那些我们无法忘记的回忆 - 我想跟…
speak to Daisy alone.
黛西单独谈谈
You see, you've got her all excited now, don't you...
你现在搞得她心烦意乱
- old sport? Daisy. - Even alone...
- 老哥,黛西… - 就算单独谈…
I can't say I never loved Torn. It wouldn't be true.
我也不能骗说我没爱过汤姆
- What? - Of course it wouldn't.
- 什么? - 那当然是骗人
- As if it mattered to you. - Of course it matters!
- 你会在乎才怪 - 我当然在乎
I'm gonna take better care of you from now on.
从现在起,我会加倍照顾你
You're not taking care of Daisy anymore. She's leaving you.
以后轮不到你来照顾黛西 她要离开你了
Nonsense!
胡扯
- I am, though! - No, no, no.
- 是真的 - 不不不
She is not leaving me.
她不会离开我
Certainly not...
她哪可能…
for a common swindler...
为你这种小骗子…
like you.
离开我
Mr. Gatsby, exactly who are you, anyhow?
盖兹比,你到底是什么人?
I made an investigation...
我请人去调查了…
into your affairs. You're one...
你的背景 你跟梅尔渥夫斯罕…
of Meyer Wolfshiem's bunch.
是一挂的
Please, let's go home.
拜托,我们回家吧
See, he and this Wolfshiem...
他跟这个渥夫斯罕
they bought up drugstores.
他们买下很多药房
And sold bootlegged...
然后贩卖…
alcohol over the counter.
私酒
What about it, old sport?
那又怎样,老哥
Don't you call me "old sport."
少跟我称兄道弟
And this drugstore business...
药局只是小生意
is just small change compared to this bonds stunt...
对他们来说只是九牛一毛 真正有赚头的…
that you and Wolfshiem have got going.
是你和渥夫斯罕搞的债券骗局
Your friend Walter Chase...
你朋友瓦特柴斯…
- isn't too proud to come in? - I gave u..
- 也挺乐意加入的嘛 - 我想了…
That some thought.
好久
How does a reputable banker...
像瓦特柴斯…
like Walter Chase find himself...
这么有信誉的银行家为何会…
up to his eyeballs in debt...
欠渥夫斯罕…
- I'll tell you. - to a little kike like Wolfshiem?
这种下流骗徒这么多钱
- It's called greed, old sport. - That's right!
- 人性本贪啊,老哥 - 没错
And you have half of Wall Street out there swilling your...
你让半数华尔街的要角 每个周末…
free booze at that fun park every weekend.
在你的游乐园喝到烂醉
I'm surprised he hasn't tried to drag you in.
他居然没把你卷入他的骗局
My God, he has.
我的天啊,你也上钩了
He's got nothing to do with...
他跟这一切没有关系…
With your little racket.
你是指你的骗局
Daisy.
黛西
Daisy.
黛西
Can't you see who this guy is...
你看不出这个人的真面目吗?
with his house and his parties and his fancy clothes?
他的豪宅、盛大派对和时尚装扮
He is just a front...
他只是渥夫斯罕…
for Wolfshiem, a gangster...
这个黑道老大的门面
to get his claws into respectable folk like Walter Chase.
好让他们接近瓦特柴斯 这种有威望的生意人
The only respectable thing about you, old sport, is your money.
你的威望 完全是建立在金钱上
Your money, that's it. Now I've just as much...
你只是有钱,现在我…
as you. That means we're equal.
也有钱 我们可以平起平坐
Oh, no. No.
不不
We're different.
我们完全不同
I am.
我是
They are.
他们是
She is.
她也是
We're all different from you.
我们都和你不一样
You see, we were born...
我们的出身和你…
different.
不同
It's in our blood...
与生俱来
and nothing that you do or say or steal...
不管你做什么说什么 或抢骗了什么
or dream up can ever change that.
又或是幻想有什么地位 都不能改变这点
A girl like Daisy...
像黛西这样的女孩…
You shut up!
你闭嘴
Shut up!
闭嘴
You shut up! Shut up!
你闭嘴,闭嘴
Shut up!
闭嘴
Gatsby looked, in that moment...
在那一刻,盖兹比看起来…
as if he had...
好像是他…
killed a man.
发狂杀了人一样
My sincerest...
我由衷的…
My sincerest apologies.
我由衷的致歉
I seem to have...
我情绪…
lost my temper.
失控了
That's right, Mr. Gatsby.
没错,盖兹比先生
Show us some of those fine...
给我们示范一下你的…
- Oxford manners. - Daisy, darling.
- 牛津风度 - 黛西,亲爱的
None of this has any consequence.
这些完全不相干
Daisy.
黛西
Daisy, talk to me, darling.
黛西,跟我说话,亲爱的
I just lost my temper, that's all.
我只是一下情绪失控而已
He began talking...
他开始迫切的…
excitedly, but with every word...
挽回,但他说的每句话…
Daisy was drawing further and further into herself.
都让黛西更加封闭自己
To go to your parents' house in Louisville.
我们计划去你父母在路易维尔的家
Please, Tom, I can't...
求求你,汤姆
stand it anymore!
我受不了了
Why don't you two start on home...
你俩何不打道回府
in Mr. Gatsby's car.
开盖兹比先生的车
- Daisy, darling, look at me. - Go on.
- 黛西,看着我 - 去吧
Daisy.
黛西
He won't annoy you.
他不会烦你的
I think he realizes...
我想他知道…
- that this little flirtation is over. - Daisy?!
你俩的小暧昧已经玩完了
Daisy!
黛西
You want any of this?
要来点吗?
Jordan?
卓丹
Nick?
尼克
Nick.
尼克
What?
干嘛?
You want any?
要喝吗?
No.
不要
I just remembered...
我突然想到…
today's my birthday.
今天是我生日
Happy birthday.
生日快乐
Thirty. The promise of a decade of loneliness.
三十而立,这岁数所应许的 是下个十年的孤寂
The formidable stroke of 30 died away...
在我逐渐忘去三十大关的可怖时…
as Gatsby and Daisy drove on through the cooling twilight...
盖兹比和黛西开车穿越凉爽黄昏…
towards death.
迎向死亡
Don't you lie to me!
别骗我
Hey, where'd you get these from?
这个到底是哪来的?
You might fool me, but you don't...
你骗得了我,却骗不了…
fool God!
上帝
God sees everything!
上帝注视着一切
Myrtle!
梅朵
Where are you?
你在哪里?
Tom?
汤姆?
Torn!
汤姆
Torn!
汤姆
Myrtle!
梅朵
I'm here! Stop!
我在这里,快停车
Baby!
梅朵
Torn!
汤姆
Wait!
等等
Slow down.
请减速
Slow down!
请减速
Bad trouble up ahead, sir!
前面出事了,先生
Good. Wilson'll have a little business at last.
很好,韦尔森终于有生意上门了
Let's take a look.
我们去瞧瞧
Oh, must we?
一定要吗?
Just a look.
就看一下
Come on.
来嘛
Move back! Clear the space here!
退后,现场净空
Have a little respect!
请尊重死者
If you don't have a legitimate reason to be in the building...
无正当理由待在屋内者…
I want you outside!
请出去
If you saw anything tonight you'd like to talk to me about, well, then you can...
目击事发经过想报告的人…
talk to me outside.
到外面跟我谈
I don't want you in here. Okay?
我不希望大家挤在这里
Please. Stand back. Please.
请后退,请后退
My God.
我的天啊
All right, folks.
好了各位
Make some room? Make some room back there!
请给他一点空间
If you have no business, clear out!
不相关的人请出去
Sir.
What are you doing? Sir!
先生
Sir, I'm asking you...
先生,我请你后…
Get off me!
别碰我
I'm fine.
我没事
I'm fine.
我没事
You knew her?
你认识她
Not really. No.
不算认识
I gotta ask you to step back, sir.
我得请你退后,先生
So, what happened?
发生了什么事?
She ran out in the road.
她跑到路上
- Son of a bitch didn't even stop his car. - Hey.
那个混蛋甚至没有停车
I saw it. It was a yellow car.
我有看到,是辆黄车
A big yellow car.
大型的黄色车辆
Damn thing came out of nowhere.
不知道从哪冒出来
Yeah. Yeah, a big yellow...
对,是大型的黄色
Duesy. Custom job.
杜森堡,订制款
You don't have to tell me what kind of car it was.
你不用告诉我什么车
I know what kind of car it was.
我知道那是什么车
Wilson.
韦尔森
- Just pull yourself together! - I know what kind of car it was!
- 振作起来 - 我知道那是什么车
He's upset! Everybody out!
他心情不好,大家出去
Can't you see the man needs peace and quiet?
看不出来他需要安静空间吗?
Wilson! I just got here from New York.
韦尔森,我刚从纽约回来
No! Hey! Wilson!
不,韦尔森
I was bringing you the coupé.
我开双门跑车来给你
Sit down! Sit down.
坐下,坐下
Get him a drink. Get him a drink.
给他倒杯酒
That yellow car wasn't mine!
那辆黄车不是我的
You hear? I haven't...
听到了吗? 我整个下午…
- seen it all afternoon. - Hey!
- 都没看见它 - 喂
What color's your car?
你的车是什么颜色的?
It's blue.
是蓝色的
Coupé.
双门跑车
We just got here from New York.
我们刚从纽约回来
They just stopped!
他们才刚到
0K8)'-
好吧
Blue.
蓝色的
Right.
Here.
给你
Leave us alone.
让我们静一静
Wilson.
韦尔森
Who owns the yellow car?
那台黄车是谁的?
A fella named Gatsby.
一个叫盖兹比的家伙
Jay Gatsby.
杰伊盖兹比
He's a crook, George.
他是个骗徒,乔治
Yes. Throws those parties the papers are always talking about.
就是报上提到那个 常办大型派对的家伙
Maybe he was the one that was fooling around with Myrtle.
或许就是他在勾搭梅朵
Maybe...
或许…
that's why he killed her.
因为这样他才杀了她
Yeah, maybe.
或许吧
Guy like that, who knows?
那种家伙,谁知道呢?
He didn't have to kill her.
他不需要杀了她
Gatsby.
盖兹比
Something ought to be done about a fella like that.
得有人去对付这个家伙
He'll pay.
他会付出代价
Oh, he'll pay.
他会付出代价
Coward.
懦夫
He didn't even stop his car.
他甚至没有停车
You gonna defend him now?
你要替他辩解吗?
I'll telephone for a taxi, Nick.
我替你叫辆计程车,尼克
Why don't you come inside and have some supper...
你进来边吃晚餐…
while you wait?
边等吧
No, thanks. I'll wait outside.
不,谢了,我在外面等
What is the matter...
你又…
With you?
怎么了?
Won't you come in, Nick?
进来吧,尼克
No, thanks.
不了,谢谢
It's only half past 9.
才九点半
No, I've had enough.
不,我受够了
Of everyone.
受够每个人
Hello, old sport.
嗨,老哥
What are you doing?
你在干什么?
Just sitting here.
在这里坐着
Yes, I see that.
我看得出来
You see any trouble out on the road?
你有看到事故吗?
That woman...
那个女人…
- you ran down is dead, Jay. - I thought so.
- 被你撞死了,杰伊 - 我就知道
I...
I told Daisy that I thought so.
我也这么跟黛西说
Daisy? Do you hear yourself?
黛西?你在说什么?
How could you?
你怎么可以?
How could you do that?
怎么可以做这种事?
Keep your voice down.
你有什么问题?
You're nothing...
你这个…
- but a goddamn coward! - Keep your voice down!
- 懦夫 - 小声点,老哥
Please. There was no point in stop...
拜托你,停下来也没用…
No point'? No point? What about that woman?
什么叫没用?那女人怎么办?
No point. She was killed instantly.
根本没用,她当场就死了
Yes, it ripped her open! I was there! I saw her!
对,她肚破肠流,我在那里 我看到她了
I understand! I understand! It was my fault.
我了解,我了解 是我的错
It was my fault. This woman...
是我的错,那个女人…
she rushed out at us as if she was trying to speak to us.
跑向我们 好像想跟我们说话
It all happened so quickly. She tried... I tried...
一切发生得好快,她想转… 我想转…
- to turn in time... - "She"?
- 方向盘… - 她?
But...
It was Daisy.
是黛西
Well, I...
我…
You see, after we left New York, she was very nervous.
我们离开纽约后 她情绪非常紧绷
She thought that driving would steady her.
她认为开车能让她稳定下来
But this woman, she rushed...
但这个女人,她朝我们…
out at us.
冲来
It all happened so quickly.
一切发生得好快
It wasn't her fault...
这不是…
do you see?
黛西的错
No one must know that Daisy was driving.
不能让别人知道是黛西开的车
Promise me.
答应我
Jay, you should go home and get some rest.
杰伊,你该回家休息
I'm going to wait here. I'm going to wait here all night...
我要守在这里 就算等一个晚上…
- if necessary. - No, no, no.
- 都行 - 不
- That's not a good idea. - If he tries...
- 这不是个好主意,杰伊 - 要是他…
to bother her about that unpleasantness this afternoon...
因为下午的事烦她
If he tries to bother her...
要是他敢烦她
If he tries any brutality on her whatsoever...
或是对她动粗…
Torn won't touch her. He's not even thinking about her.
汤姆不会碰她 他现在根本没心情关心她
I don't trust him.
我不信任他
- I don't trust him. - All right.
- 我不信任他 - 好吧
All right.
好吧
You wait here.
你在这里等
I'll see if there's any commotion.
我去看看有什么动静
Would you?
可以吗?
Thank you, old sport.
谢谢你,老哥
Listen, she was in the wrong, running out on the road.
听我说 她那样冲出来是她不对
Sweetheart, you have...
甜心,没什么…
nothing to worry about.
好担心的
Let me take care of things.
我会帮你解决
Take care of you.
让我照顾你
I'll make some calls.
我去打几通电话
We'll go away.
我们离开
Just go away, get out of town.
离开这里
Get some rest. Don't worry.
去休息,别担心
It'll be all right.
一切都会没事的
Hey-
Hello, old sport.
嗨,老哥
Jay
杰伊
- Everything all right? - Yes.
- 一切都好吧? - 对
Everything's just fine.
一切都没事
Around 4:00, she came to the window.
大约四点时,她站到窗边
She stood there, then...
她站在那里,然后…
Then she turned out the light, so...
就把灯关了
Well...
就这样
Give me a hand, will you, old sport?
来帮我弄车,老哥
I should have told him what I had just seen, but...
我该告诉他刚才看到的画面
all I could manage was:
但我只能劝他
You know, Jay, with everything that's happened...
杰伊,发生这么多事
you ought to go away.
你得避一避
Tonight. They'll trace your car.
今晚就走 他们会查到你的车
Go away? No, I can't leave now.
离开?现在不行
Not tonight.
不是今晚
Jay, do you understand that a woman has been killed?
杰伊,有个女人被撞死了
Daisy's going to call in the morning.
黛西明早会打来
Then we'll make plans to go away together.
我们再计划一起离开
- Yeah. - Daisy, she...
黛西她…
She just needs time to think things through. Herzog...
她只是需要时间考虑
we're talking. Thank you.
我们在谈事情,谢谢
She just needs time to think.
她需要时间考虑
No, Jay. With Daisy...
不,杰伊,黛西她…
She just needs time to think. She's going to call in the morning.
她需要时间考虑,明早就会打来
Wait up with me.
跟我一起等
The sun's almost up.
快天亮了
That was the night he finally told me the truth.
就在那晚他告诉了我实情
All of it.
全部的实情
You know, I've thought for a while...
你知道我想了好久
I had a lot of things, but the truth is I'm empty.
我看似富有,但其实我很空虚
I suppose that's why I make things up about myself.
那也是我捏造故事的原因
But I've wanted to tell you the whole story for...
但其实我一直
a very long time.
想告诉你实情
See, I grew up terribly, terribly poor, old sport.
我的出生一贫如洗,老哥
- My folks were... - He revealed his humble beginnings...
他告诉我他卑微的出生
his transformative voyage with Dan Cody...
与丹恩寇迪那段改变他一生的航程
the war, Oxford...
战争、牛津大学
and how he joined Wolfshiem in the business.
和他加入渥夫斯罕生意的过程
It was also that night...
也就在那晚…
that I became aware of Gatsby's extraordinary gift for hope.
我发现盖兹比 异于常人的乐观天赋
I can't describe how surprised I was to find out that I loved her.
我发现自己爱上她时 不知道有多惊讶
And that she loved me too.
而她也爱我
A gift that I have never found in any other person.
这是我在别人身上 从未发现过的珍宝
I never realized how extraordinary...
我以前不知道 好人家的女孩…
a nice girl could be.
有这么棒
And which it is not likely I shall ever find again.
我以后大概再也无法遇到
I thought out my life with Daisy in it...
我想像我们以后的生活
trying to figure out how we could marry and struggle along on so many dollars a month.
想像如何结婚 每个月靠微薄的收入维生
What was in the letter?
信里写了什么?
The reason why after the war I hadn't been able to return.
战后我无法返乡的原因
I asked her to wait until I made something of myself, but she was...
我要她等我功成名统,但她…
See, I felt married to her.
我觉得我们早说互许终身
That was all.
就是这样
It was all for her.
这一切都是为了她
The house, the parties.
豪宅、宴会
Everything.
所有一切
God sees everything.
神注视着一切
Mr. Gatsby, sir, excuse me.
盖兹比先生,打搅一下
Chicago calling, sir.
芝加哥在线上,先生
Not now.
现在不行
Keep it open for a personal call.
保持线路畅通,我在等私人电话
- A personal call? Of course. - Excuse me, sir.
私人电话,遵命
Mr. Gatsby, I'm gonna drain the pool.
盖兹比先生,趁着还没落叶…
Before the leaves start falling in.
游泳池今天要放水
Not today.
不要今天放
Not today, it's so beautiful.
不要今天,今天太美了
You know, old sport, I haven't used that pool once all summer. Let's take a swim.
老哥,这个夏天都没下过水 我们去游泳吧
Have the phone brought down to the pool.
把电话拿来泳池旁
I have to go, Jay.
我得走了,杰伊
I have to work.
我还要上班
I understand.
我了解
Well...
那我…
I'll walk you out.
送你出去
Well, I'll call you up.
我再打给你
Please do, old sport. Please do.
你一定要打来,老哥
I supposed.
我想…
That Daisy will call too.
黛西也会打来
I...
我…
I suppose.
想是的
Yes.
Well, goodbye.
那再见吧
Jay!
杰伊
They're a rotten crowd.
他们是一群烂人
You're worth the whole damn bunch put together.
你比那群人全部加起来都好
I was always glad...
我很高兴…
I said that.
我那么说了
It was the only...
那是我对他…
compliment I ever paid him.
唯一说过的恭维话
That morning...
那天早上…
Wall Street boomed its usual...
华尔街依旧…
golden roar.
生机蓬勃
But I wasn't worth a decent stroke of work.
但我完全无法专心工作
I waited for Gatsby to call with news.
我等着盖兹比来电给我消息
While he waited...
而他则在等待着…
for Daisy.
黛西
Gatsby's.
盖兹比大宅
I know Mr. Gatsby will be very happy that you've called.
盖兹比先生一定很高兴你来电
Daisy.
黛西
Hello! Hello!
喂?喂?
Hello! Is everything all right?
发生什么事?
Hello! Hello!
喂?喂?
Hello!
喂?
Hello! Is everything all right?
发生什么事?
I remember the rest of that day as an endless drill...
我记得那天 面对各方的一连串拷问…
of police and photographers and tabloid reporters.
警察、摄影师和狗仔记者
The headlines were a nightmare.
标题怵目惊心
(私酒商杀害情妇)
They pinned everything on Gatsby.
他们把一切归罪于盖兹比
The affair with Myrtle. The hit-and-run. Everything.
和梅朵私通、驾车杀人逃逸 所有事情
(盖兹比谋杀罪证确凿)
And there was nothing I could say...
我百口莫辩
except the one unutterable fact that none of it was true.
即便一切皆非事实 我却无法说出口
Darling, Daddy's taking care of his two favorite girls.
亲爱的,爸爸会照顾 他两个最心爱的宝贝
Where are we going?
我们要去哪里?
- We're going on a holiday. - We should go.
- 我们要去度假 - 该走了
Just you...
就只有你…
me and Daddy.
我、和爸爸
Buchanan residence.
布坎南大宅
May I speak to Mrs. Buchanan?
我找布坎南夫人
It's Mr. Carraway, her cousin.
我是她的表哥卡洛威先生
Madame...
夫人…
is not available, Monsieur Carraway.
现在不方便接电话 卡洛威先生
If you speak to her, tell her the funeral's tomorrow.
如果你看到她 请告诉她丧礼就在明天
I'm sorry, monsieur, they have gone away.
抱歉先生,他们离开了
Gone away?
离开?
Do you know when they'll be back?
他们什么时候回来?
No.
不知道
They have already departed.
他们已经走了
Please. I know that she would want to be there. She would...
拜托你,我知道她一定会想来
If you would just get a message to her.
如果你能转告她
- Let me talk to her, please. - You wish to contact her?
- 请让我跟她说话,拜托你 - 你想联系她?
I have no further information, monsieur.
我无可奉告,先生
Please!
求求你
再见
Hello?
喂?
Come on.
走吧
They were careless people, Tom and Daisy.
汤姆和黛西,他们冷酷无情
They smashed up things and people...
摧毁其他人和事物
and then retreated back into their money and their...
然后逃回自己的金窝里
vast carelessness.
完全的冷血和自私
Hey-
Hey! Get out of here!
喂,滚出去
Go on!
滚啊
Get the hell out of here!
全都给我滚出去
I rang...
我打电话
I wrote...
写信
I implored.
恳求
But not a single one of the sparkling hundreds that enjoyed his hospitality...
但那些曾接受他热情款待的宾客 没一个…
attended the funeral.
出席葬礼
And from Daisy...
而黛西…
not even a flower.
连个花篮都没送
I was all he had.
只有我陪在他身旁
The only one who cared.
只有我在乎
After Gatsby's death...
在盖兹比死后…
New York was haunted for me.
纽约对我而言宛如鬼城
That city...
这座城市…
my once golden shimmering mirage...
曾经闪烁着金色的光芒
now made me sick.
如今只让我作恶
On my last night...
在纽约的…
in New York...
最后一夜
I returned to that huge...
我重回那庞大…
incoherent house once more.
荒诞的豪宅
Wolfshiem's associates...
渥夫斯罕那帮人…
had cleaned it out.
早已将其清空
"JORDAN". He threw all those parties...
他办派对…
hoping she'd wander in one night.
是希望她某天会前来
It's like an amusement park.
这里好像游乐园
But how do you live here all alone?
你一个人住那么大房子
She makes it look so splendid...
她让一切看起来光彩夺目…
don't you think, old sport?
对吗?老哥
Music! And then we can...
有了音乐我们就能…
dance all night!
整晚跳舞
Will you come, old sport?
你能来吗?老哥
We need you.
我们需要你
I wish it could always be like this.
希望能一直这样
It Will be.
会的
I remembered how we had all come to Gatsby's and guessed at his corruption...
记得大家来盖兹比家狂欢时 总臆测他靠哪种下流勾当致富
while he stood before us...
但他昂扬在我们面前
concealing...
隐藏的…
an incorruptible dream.
只是一个无法摧毁的梦想
It's perfect. From your perfect, irresistible imagination.
完美极了,来自你完美 令人无法抗拒的想像力
The moon rose higher.
月亮越升越高
And as I stood there, brooding on the old, unknown world...
我站在那怀想古老未知的世界
I thought of Gatsby's wonder...
同时想起盖兹比心中涌起的惊叹
when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock.
就在他第一次看到 黛西家船坞上的绿光的那一刻
He had come such a long way.
他历经千山万水
And his dream must have seemed so close...
他的梦想看来唾手可得
that he could hardly fail to grasp it.
没有理由会再擦身而过
But he did not know...
但他并不知道…
that it was already behind him.
两人间的机缘已成过去
Gatsby believed in the green light...
盖兹比信仰的那道绿光…
the orgastic future that year by year recedes...
正像欢愉的未来 在我们眼前…
before us.
一年年退去
It eluded us then, but that's no matter.
它躲开了我们,但是没关系
Tomorrow, we will run faster...
明天,我们将跑得更快
stretch out our arms farther...
手臂将伸得更长
and one fine morning...
总会有个清朗的早晨
So we beat on...
我们会扬帆前进
boats against the current...
逆水行舟
borne back...
而浪潮…
ceaselessly...
奔流不歇…
into the past.
又将我们推回过去
(《盖兹比》 尼克卡洛威著)
(《盖兹比》)
(《大亨小传》)
导演:巴兹鲁曼
编剧:巴兹鲁曼 克雷格皮尔斯
原着小说:史考特费兹杰罗
制片:巴兹鲁曼 凯萨琳马丁
制片:道格拉斯威克 露西费雪
制片:凯萨琳娜普曼
主演:李奥纳多狄卡皮欧
主演:陶比麦奎尔
主演:凯莉墨里根
主演:乔尔埃哲顿
主演:艾丝拉费雪
主演:杰森克拉克
主演:伊莉莎白戴比琪
主演:杰克汤普森
主演:阿米塔布巴沙坎
片名:大亨小传
片名:大亨小传