怦然心动 Flipped

上映日期: 2,010

语言: 英语

影片类型: 剧情 / 喜剧 / 爱情

导演: 罗伯·莱纳

演员: 玛德琳·卡罗尔 / 卡兰·麦克奥利菲 / 瑞贝卡·德·莫妮 / 安东尼·爱德华兹 / 约翰·马奥尼 / 佩内洛普·安·米勒 / 艾丹·奎因 / 凯文·韦斯曼 / 摩根·莉莉 / 瑞安·克茨纳 / 吉莉


台词
All I ever wanted was for Juli Baker to leave me alone.
我最大的愿望就是朱莉·贝克能离我远点
It all began in the summer of 1957,
故事开始于1957年的夏天
before the start of second grade.
二年级开学的前夕
Here we are.
我们到了
- What do you guys think? - I like this place.
-你们觉得如何 -我喜欢这里
- It's cool. - Uh, what color is my room?
-棒极了 -我的房间是什么颜色
Just you wait.
别急嘛
- Let's see what's inside. - Hey, come on, buddy Bryce.
-我们进去瞧瞧 -等等 布莱斯
Why don't, uh, you and I go help unload the van...
你来帮我一起搬东西如何
...and the womenfolk here can get in the kitchen and start setting up.
女士们可以去把厨房收拾好
Okay, Dad.
好的 爸爸
For me, it was the beginning of what would be more than half a decade
对我而言 这仅仅是我长达五年多的
of strategic avoidance and social discomfort.
躲避战和社交不适的开端
- Hi, I'm Juli Baker. - Hey, hey, what are you doing?
-你好 我是朱莉·贝克 -喂 你干什么呢
Don't you want some help?
要帮忙吗
No. There's some valuable things in there.
不用 里面有贵重东西
- How about this one? - No, no, no.
-那搬这个呢 -不不不 别动
Run home. Your mother's probably wondering where you are.
快回家吧 你妈妈该担心了
Oh, no, my mom knows where I am. She said it's fine.
不会 我妈妈知道我在这儿 她同意的
It didn't take long to realize this girl could not take a hint.
我很快发现这姑娘一点也不识趣
- It's crowded in here with three people. - I don't mind.
-三个人在这里太挤了 -我不介意
Of any kind.
太不识相了
You wanna push this one together?
一起来搬这箱子好吗
Bryce, isn't it time for you to go help your mother?
布莱斯 你不是要去帮妈妈吗
Huh?
什么
Oh, yeah.
啊对 没错
I mean, nothing would stop her.
什么都挡不住她
I was about to tell her to get lost when the weirdest thing happened.
我正想叫她滚开时候 最囧的事情发生了
I couldn't believe it.
真是难以置信
There I was holding hands with this strange girl.
我居然牵着一个陌生女孩的手
How did I get into this mess?
我怎么会这么倒霉
Well, hello.
你好啊
- I see you've met my son. - Uh-huh.
-你已经认识我儿子了 -是啊
Finally, I did the only manly thing available when you're 7 years old.
结果 我做了七岁男子汉唯一能做的事
However, my troubles were far from over.
可是 我的麻烦还远未结束
The minute I walked into Miss Yelson's classroom...
当我一踏入埃尔森老师的教室...
Bryce? You're here.
布莱斯 你来了
...it was clear:
显然
School would not be a sanctuary.
学校也不是一方净土
Hey, Bryce, where's your girlfriend?
嘿 布莱斯 你女朋友呢
I was branded for life.
我的一世清名毁了
Hey, Bryce, why don't you ask her to marry you?
嘿 布莱斯 你怎么不向她求婚呢
Bryce and Juli sitting in a tree
布莱斯和朱莉高高坐树上
K-l-S-S-l-N-G
卿卿我我不分离
My first year in town was a disaster.
我刚到镇上的第一年就是场灾难
Look at them.
瞧瞧他们
And the next three weren't much better.
接下来三年也没好到哪去
But finally, in the sixth grade, I took action.
不过终于 在六年级时 我采取了行动
I hatched the plan.
我想出了个主意
Sherry.
雪莉
Sherry, wait up.
雪莉 等等我
Hi, Bryce.
你好 布莱斯
I asked out Sherry Stalls.
我约了雪莉·斯图出去
I was wondering if you wanted to go...
不知你是否愿意去...
To full appreciate the brilliance of this plan...
这个主意的绝妙之处在于
...you have to understand that Juli hated Sherry Stalls...
朱莉讨厌雪莉·斯图
...though I never understood why.
尽管我不明就里
Sherry was nice, friendly and she had a lot of hair.
雪莉温柔友善 还有着一头浓密的金发
At first, my mother wouldn't let me get my ears pierced, but I begged...
起先 我妈妈不同意我打耳洞 可我不停请求
The idea was that Sherry would eat with me...
我的计划是先和雪莉一起吃饭
...maybe we'd walk around together,
之后我们也许能并肩而行
and hopefully Juli would lose interest.
这样朱莉大概就会知难而退了
But I still can't get the hoops till I'm 16.
不过我还是不能在十六岁以前打耳洞
Oh, that's a shame.
真遗憾
So Melanie wanted to get her ears pierced,
美兰妮也想打耳洞
but of course her mother said no.
她妈妈当然不同意啦
So she threw a fit and
然后她就大发脾气
smashed her Johnny Mathis Greatest Hits album...
把她的强尼·麦瑟斯精选集唱片砸了个稀烂
...and she got grounded, so
于是就被关起来了
now she can't come to my pajama sleepover party.
她也不能参加我的睡衣派对了
Things were unfolding quite nicely.
事情进展得异常顺利
What are you doing for your science project?
你的科学展作品准备得怎样了
That is, until my supposed best friend, Garrett Einbinder...
直到被我当作死党的伽利特·艾宾德
...took an interest in Sherry himself.
也对雪莉发起了攻势
I was thinking of showing how
我打算展示
split ends react with different hair conditioners.
不同护发素对头发分叉的影响
That's fascinating.
太有趣了
Loyalty gave way to desire and Garrett, the turncoat...
这个重色轻友的叛徒伽利特
...told Sherry what I was up to.
告诉了雪莉我的意图
Jerk.
混蛋
She didn't take it well.
她很生气
Word got back to Juli,
再说到朱莉
and pretty soon she started up with the goo-goo eyes again.
她很快又开始含情脉脉地注视我
Only this time it was worse.
不过这次更糟
She started sniffing me.
她开始闻我
That's right, sniffing me.
没错 闻我
What was that all about?
那是干什么呢
My only consolation was that next year would be different.
我唯一的慰藉就是期望明年会有所改变
Junior high, bigger school.
上初中学校更大
Maybe we'd be in different classes and it would finally, finally be over.
也许我们不会分到一个班 就终于能分开了
The first day I met Bryce Loski, I flipped.
我遇到布莱斯·洛斯奇的第一天就怦然心动了
It was those eyes, something in those dazzling eyes.
他的眼睛 那双明亮迷人的眼睛吸引了我
You wanna push this one together?
一起来搬这箱子好吗
His family had just moved into the neighborhood...
当时 他家刚搬到我家对面
...and I'd gone over to help them.
我跑过去帮助他们
I'd been in the van all of two minutes
我爬上货车才两分钟
when his dad sent him off to help his mom.
他爸爸就叫他去给他妈妈帮忙
I could see he didn't wanna go.
看得出来他并不愿意
So I chased after him to see if
于是我跟着他
we could play a little before he got trapped inside.
看能不能在他进去忙活之前跟他玩一会
The next thing I know, he's holding my hand...
后来不知怎的他就握着我的手了
...and looking right into my eyes.
注视着我的眼睛
My heart stopped.
我的心跳都停止了
Was this it?
就是这种感觉吗
Would this be my first kiss?
这会是我的初吻吗
- But then his mother came out. - Well, hello.
-可这时他妈妈出来了 -你好啊
And he was so embarrassed, his cheeks turned completely red.
他很不好意思 羞得满脸通红
I went to bed that night
那晚 我躺在床上
thinking of the kiss that might have been.
幻想着那个极可能发生的吻
I mean, it was clear he had feelings for me,
很明显他对我也有意思
but he was just too shy to show them.
只是他太害羞而不敢表达
My mother said boys were like that.
妈妈说男孩子就是这样
So I decided to help him out.
于是我决定帮助他
Bryce? You're here.
布莱斯 你来啦
I would give him plenty of opportunity to get over his shyness.
我要给他许多机会来克服害羞
By the sixth grade, I'd learned to control myself.
到了六年级 我收敛了不少
Then Sherry Stalls entered the picture.
结果雪莉·斯图闯了进来
Sherry Stalls was nothing but a whiny,
雪莉·斯图不过是个爱发牢骚
gossipy, backstabbing flirt.
八卦 喜欢暗箭伤人的轻佻女孩
All hair and no substance.
秀发迷人但徒有其表
And there she was...
她过来了
...holding hands with Bryce. My Bryce.
与布莱斯十指紧扣 是我的布莱斯
The one was walking around with my first kiss.
这个人还等待着我的初吻呢
My solution was to ignore her. I knew a boy of Bryce's caliber...
我的对策就是无视她 我知道聪明如布莱斯
...would eventually see through a shallow conniver like Sherry Stalls.
终有一天会识穿雪莉·斯图的浅薄
It took all of a week. They broke up at recess.
果然不出一周 他们在午休时分手了
She didn't take it well.
她很生气
Now that Bryce was out of Sherry's evil clutches,
布莱斯逃离了雪莉的魔爪
he started being nicer to me.
他对我的态度也好多了
- Hi, Juli. - Hi, Bryce.
-你好 朱莉 -你好 布莱斯
He was so shy and so cute...
他是如此腼腆 如此可爱
...and his hair, it smelled like watermelon.
他的发间散发着淡淡的西瓜味
I couldn't get enough of it.
我总是闻不够
I spent the whole year secretly sniffing watermelon...
一整年我都在偷偷闻着那股西瓜味
...and wondering if I was ever going to get my kiss.
幻想着我何时能得到我的初吻
Seventh grade brought changes, all right.
初一时发生了许多变化
But the biggest one didn't happen at school.
不过最大的变化不是发生在学校
It happened at home.
而是在家
My grandfather came to live with us.
我外公搬来与我们同住
Mom said he stared like that because he missed Grandma.
妈妈说他总这样呆望是因为他想外婆了
That was not something Grandpa would ever talk about with me.
外公可不会对我说这些
As a matter of fact, he never talked about much of anything with me.
事实上 他很少跟我说话
That is, until Juli appeared in the local newspaper.
直到有天朱莉上了当地的报纸
- Oh, Bryce. May I speak with you? - What?
-布莱斯 能跟你聊两句吗 -怎么了
Have a seat, son.
坐下吧 孩子
Tell me about your friend Juli Baker.
跟我说说你的朋友朱莉·贝克
Juli. She's not exactly my friend.
朱莉 她不算是我的朋友
Oh. Why's that?
是吗 为什么
Why do you wanna know?
你为什么想知道
Now, Juli Baker did not wind up in The Mayfield Times...
上初二的朱莉·贝克登上《梅菲德时报》
...for being an eighth-grade Einstein.
可不是因为什么天才成就
《梅菲德时报》 13岁女孩抗议伐树
No, she got front-page coverage
相反 她上了报纸头版
because she refused to climb out of a sycamore tree.
是因为她不肯爬下一棵梧桐树
Juli Baker and that stupid sycamore tree.
朱莉·贝克和那棵傻乎乎的梧桐树
She always thought
她总是以为
it was God's gift to our little corner of the universe.
那树是上帝赐给我们这个小地方的礼物
Hey, Bryce. Wanna come climb the tree with me and my brothers?
布莱斯 来跟我和我哥哥一起爬树吧
No, thanks.
不了 谢谢
Bryce. Come up here. It's fun.
布莱斯 快上来 好玩极了
- You can see everything. - I can't.
-你能看到一切 -我来不了
My dad needs me to help him fix...
爸爸要我帮他修...
...a thing.
修个东西
That's all I needed.
我得扯个借口
Climb up a tree with Juli Baker.
和朱莉·贝克一起爬树
I'd be dragged right back into the second grade.
那还不得把我打回小学二年级去
Bryce and Juli sitting in a tree.
布莱斯和朱莉高高坐树上
Why don't you just make me eat lima beans for the rest of my life.
你还不如让我一辈子吃素算了
It's three blocks away.
还有三个街区
Two blocks.
两个街区
One block away.
还有一个街区就到了
Like that's valuable information.
搞得像什么重大消息似的
I hate it when she does that.
我讨厌她一直这样预报
I like to think there's at least a chance the bus won't show.
本来还能对校车不来了抱一丁点指望
I think the tree looks particularly beautiful in this light. Don't you?
我觉得晨曦中的梧桐树格外美丽 你觉得呢
If by "beautiful" you mean "unbelievably ugly,"
如果你所说的美丽是指无与伦比的丑陋
Then, yes, I would agree.
那么没错 我同意
You're just visually challenged. I feel sorry for you.
你眼睛出问题了 真为你惋惜
"Visually challenged"?
"眼睛出问题了"?
"Visually challenged"?
"眼睛出问题了"?
This from the girl who lived
这话居然出自一个
in a house that was the joke of the neighborhood?
自家房子被街坊当成笑柄的女孩之口
They had bushes growing over windows
她家的灌木丛窜得有窗户那么高
and weeds all over the place.
院子里到处杂草丛生
It bugged my dad bigtime.
搞得我爸爸很无奈
Oh, there he is.
瞧 他又开始画了
The bricklayer who thinks he's a painter.
那个自以为是个画家的砖瓦匠
That truck's not ugly enough in real life?
还嫌那卡车不够丑吗
He's gotta make a painting of it?
他居然还要把它画下来
No, he does landscapes. Sells them at the county fair.
不 他画的是风景画 拿到县集市上去卖
People say they're beautiful.
大家都说他的画很漂亮
Landscapes? Let me tell you something.
风景画 告诉你吧
The world would have more beauty in it...
如果他肯把他那杂乱的院子稍微收拾一下
...if he'd do a little landscaping on that piece of crap he calls a yard.
这个世界将会变得更美丽
I feel bad for his wife. She married a dreamer.
我真同情他妻子 她嫁了个空想家
Because of that, one of the two of them will always be unhappy.
因此他们俩总有一人要忍受不幸
Yeah, fine. But why do we have to be unhappy?
管他呢 可为什么我们也要受气呢
As annoying as the yard was to my dad...
就如对门的院子让我爸心烦一样
...it was nothing compared to how annoying Juli Baker was in that tree.
没有比树上的朱莉·贝克更烦人的了
Three blocks away.
还有三个街区
Every morning we had to listen to the sound...
每天早上我们都不得不听着
...of her blow-by-blow traffic report.
她那不厌其烦的校车预报
Two blocks.
两个街区
There you go.
来了
Why do they call it The Three Stooges?
为什么要叫《活宝三人组》呢
- I mean, there's five of them. - What?
-我是说明明有五个 -什么
Well, yeah, there's Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp and Curly Joe.
有莫尔 拉瑞 克里 山普 还有卷毛乔
Yeah, but they only have three at a time.
对 不过每次出场都只有三个
Yeah.
也是
You know, I hate Curly Joe.
我不喜欢卷毛乔
I mean, he shouldn't even be a Stooge.
他根本就算不上是活宝
Listen, girl, I'm this close to calling the police.
听着 小姑娘 我就要报警了
You are trespassing and obstructing progress on a contracted job.
你这是擅闯私人领地 妨碍正常施工
- What's going on? - Either you come down...
-怎么回事 -要么你自己下来
...or we're gonna cut you down.
要么我们就把你砍下来了
Bryce, you guys, come up here with me.
布莱斯 你们也爬上来
They won't cut it down if we're all up here.
如果我们都在树上 他们就不敢砍
- Bus, bus, bus. - Juli was frantic.
-车来了 车来了 -朱莉抓狂了
They wanted to cut down her tree.
他们想砍掉她的树
I couldn't understand why
我真不明白
that mutant tangle of gnarly branches meant so much to her.
她怎么那么在乎那棵长得歪七扭八的树
Bryce, please.
布莱斯 求你了
- I felt bad for her. - Leave her.
-我挺同情她 -别管她了
But I wasn't about to cut school over it.
但我不想因此逃课
Come on, bro.
快来 哥们儿
Why isn't she your friend, Bryce?
为什么她不是你的朋友 布莱斯
You'd have to know Juli.
你得先了解朱莉
Well, I'd like to.
我正想了解
Why?
为什么
That girl has an iron backbone.
那姑娘很有骨气
Why don't you invite her over sometime?
干嘛不请她过来玩呢
An iron backbone?
很有骨气?
She's just stubborn...
她就是很倔吧
...and she's pushy beyond belief.
固执得要命
Is that so?
是吗
And she's been stalking me since the second grade.
从二年级起她就一直缠着我
Well, a girl like that doesn't live next door to everyone.
并非人人都能和这样的女孩做邻居
Lucky them.
那他们很幸运
Read this.
看看这个
Without prejudice.
放下成见
Like I needed to know anything more about Juli Baker.
好像我还不够了解朱莉·贝克似的
Juli wasn't at the bus stop the next morning.
第二天早上朱莉没去等校车
Or the morning after that.
第三天早上也没有
She was at school, but you'd never know it.
她来上学了 可不知道她是怎么来的
- Little Joe? He's got so much makeup on... - He doesn't age.
-小乔? 他化了很重的妆 -他又不老
I told myself I should be glad about it.
我对自己说应该感到高兴才对
I mean, isn't that what I'd always wanted?
这不正是我想要的吗
But still, I felt bad for her.
但我还是很为她难过
I was gonna tell her I was sorry, but then I thought, hey, no...
我想去跟她道歉 可转念一想 不行
...that's the last thing I needed:
我决不能让朱莉·贝克以为
Juli Baker thinking I missed her.
我想她了
I see why you like to come out here.
我知道你为何喜欢来这里了
Would you mind explaining it to your mother?
你能让你妈也明白就好了
I loved to watch my father paint.
我喜欢看爸爸画画
Or really, I loved to hear him talk while he painted.
或者说我是喜欢他边画画边与我聊天
I learned a lot about my dad that way.
我就这样了解了爸爸很多的事
He told me all sorts of things...
他与我谈天说地
...like how he got his first job delivering hay
比如他是如何找到送干草的第一份工作的
and how he'd wished he'd finished college.
还有他真希望当年能念完大学
Then one day he surprised me.
有一天 他的话让我很意外
What's going on with you and, uh, Bryce Loski?
你和布莱斯·洛斯奇怎么回事
What do you mean? Nothing.
你指什么 没什么啊
Oh, okay.
好吧
My mistake.
是我想多了
Why would you even think that?
你为什么会这么想
No reason.
不为什么
Just that you...
只是你...
...talk about him all the time.
老是在说他
I do?
我有吗
Mm-hm.
是啊
I don't know.
我不知道
I guess it's something about his eyes.
我猜是因为他的眼睛吧
Or maybe his smile.
或是因为他的微笑
But what about him?
那他的人呢
- What? - You have to look at the whole landscape.
-什么 -你得观其全貌
What does that mean?
这是什么意思
A painting is more than the sum of its parts.
一幅画并不是各个部分的简单相加
A cow by itself is just a cow.
奶牛单独看就是奶牛
A meadow by itself is just grass, flowers.
草场就其本身也只是草和花
And the sun peeking through the trees is just a beam of light.
而穿过树枝的阳光也不过是一线光束
But you put them all together...
但当你把它们结合到一起...
...and it can be magic.
奇迹就发生了
I didn't really understand what he was saying
我并不十分理解他所说的话
until one afternoon...
直到那天下午
...when I was up in the sycamore tree.
当我爬上那棵梧桐树
I was rescuing a kite.
我去够一只挂住的风筝
It was a long way up, higher than I'd ever been.
风筝挂得很高 是我从未爬上去过的高度
And the higher I got, the more amazed I was by the view.
我爬得越高 就越被眼前的美景所震撼
I began to notice how wonderful the breeze smelled.
我开始嗅到微风中的曼妙气息
Like sunshine and wild grass.
像是阳光和野草的芬芳
I couldn't stop breathing it in...
我贪婪地呼吸着
filling my lungs with the sweetest smell I'd ever known.
让最清甜的空气充满身体
Hey, you found my kite.
你找到我的风筝了
Bryce, you should come up here.
布莱斯 你应该到这上面来看看
It's so beautiful.
太美了
I can't. I sprained my, um...
不行 我扭伤了我的...
I have a rash.
我起了疹子
From that moment on, that became my spot.
从那一刻起 这里就成了我的小天地
I could sit there for hours,
我能在那一待几个小时
just looking out at the world.
就从上面眺望着这个世界
Some days the sunsets would be purple and pink.
有时候落日是紫色和粉色的
And some days they were a blazing orange...
有时候则是炽烈的桔黄色
setting fire to the clouds on the horizon.
燃烧着地平线上的云
It was during one of those sunsets that
有一次看着这样的落日
my father's idea of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts...
我突然领悟了爸爸所说的那个概念
moved from my head to my heart.
整体大于部分之和
Some days I would get there extra early to watch the sunrise.
有时候我会起得格外早来这里看日出
One morning I was making mental notes...
一天早上 我正在用心记下
of how the streaks of light were cutting through the clouds...
万道霞光穿透云层的模样
so I could tell my dad...
好回去与爸爸分享
when I heard a noise below.
突然听到下面传来噪音
Excuse me.
不好意思
Excuse me. I'm sorry,
不好意思 对不起
but you can't park there. That's a bus stop.
你不能把车停在那 那是校车站
Hey, what are you doing up there?
你在上面干什么呢
You can't be up there, we're gonna take this thing down.
你不能待在上面 我们要把它砍倒
- The tree? - Yeah. Now come on down.
-这棵树吗 -是的 下来吧
- But who told you, you could cut it down? - The owner.
-谁批准你砍树了 -树的主人
Why?
为什么
He's gonna build a house, and this tree's in the way.
他要盖一座房子 这棵树碍事了
So come on, girl, we got work to do.
下来 小姑娘 我们得干活了
You can't cut it down. You just can't.
你不能把它砍倒 就是不能
Listen, girl. I'm this close to calling the police.
听着 小姑娘 我就要报警了
You are trespassing and obstructing progress on a contracted job.
你这是擅闯私人领地 妨碍正常施工
Now either you come down, or we're gonna cut you down.
要么你自己下来 要么我们就把你砍下来了
Go ahead. Cut me down.
来啊 你们砍吧
I'm not coming down. I'm never coming down.
我不下去 我绝不下去
Bryce. You guys, come up here with me.
布莱斯 你们也爬上来
They won't cut it down if we're all up here.
如果我们都在树上 他们就不敢砍了
Bryce, please don't let them do this.
布莱斯 求你了 别让他们砍树
Come on, you guys.
你们上来啊
Bryce, please.
布莱斯 求你了
You don't have to come up this high. Just a little ways.
你们不用爬这么高 上来一点就行了
Bryce, please. Please.
布莱斯 求你了 求你了
What happened after that was a blur.
后来的事情我记不清了
It seemed like the whole town was there.
好像整个镇上的人都来了
But still I wouldn't move.
但我还是没动
Then my father showed up.
后来我爸爸来了
He talked a fireman into letting him come up to where I was.
他说服了一个消防员 让他爬上来找我
Sweetie, it's time to come down.
亲爱的 现在该下来了
Daddy, please don't let them do this.
爸爸 求你别让他们砍树
- Sweetie... - Daddy, look.
-亲爱的 -爸爸 你看
You can see everything. You can see the whole world from here.
你能看到一切 从这里你能看到全世界
No view is worth my daughter's safety.
什么美景都没我女儿的安全重要
Now, come on.
来吧
I can't.
不要
Julianna, it's time to come down now.
朱莉安娜 现在该下来了
Please, Daddy.
求你了 爸爸
It's time.
该下来了
And that was it.
事情就是这样
I must've cried for two weeks straight.
我哭了足有两个星期
Oh, sure, I went to school and did the best I could...
当然 我还是去上学了 尽力表现好点
but nothing seemed to matter.
但一切似乎都不重要了
- Juli? - Huh?
-朱莉 -啊?
Do you know the answer?
你知道答案是什么吗
Uh, the Peloponnesian War?
伯罗奔尼撒战争
I'm sure that's the answer to something...
你真是答非所问
but I was looking for the area of a rhomboid.
我问的是菱形的面积
Somehow, rhomboids and isosceles right triangles...
不知怎么了 菱形和等腰直角三角形
didn't seem so important.
似乎没那么重要了
I rode my bike so I wouldn't have to pass by the stump...
我骑车去上学 这样就不用看见那个树桩
that used to be the earth's most magnificent sycamore tree.
那曾经是地球上最壮美的梧桐树
But no matter what I did, I couldn't stop thinking about it.
但不论做什么 我都在想着它
Are you okay?
你还好吧
It was just a tree.
只是棵树而已
No, it wasn't just a tree.
不 不只是棵树
I never want you to forget how you felt when you were up there.
我希望你永远不要忘记在上面的感觉
Thanks, Dad.
谢谢 爸爸
It was the first thing I saw every morning...
这幅画每天随我起床
and the last thing I saw before I went to sleep.
伴我入眠
And once I could look at it without crying...
当我看到它不再哭泣时
I saw more than the tree
我看到了树以外的东西
and what being up there meant to me.
明白了在它上面对我的意义
I saw the day that my view of things around me started changing.
那天起 我看周围事物的眼光开始改变
And I wondered,
然后我在想
did I still feel the same things about Bryce?
我对布莱斯的感觉还和以前一样吗
I've never been a huge fan of eggs.
我一直对蛋没什么特别感觉
I mean, I could always just take them or leave them.
我的意思是 有也可以 没有也行
That is, until one day in Skyler Brown's garage...
直到那天在斯凯勒·布朗的车库里
when my feelings about eggs were solidified.
我对蛋的感觉彻底固定了
Hey, hey, hey. Guys. Edna's found her breakfast.
诸位诸位 艾娜发现它的早餐了
I mean, if a slimy reptile found them appetizing...
我是说 如果粘乎乎的爬虫喜欢吃这东西
there was certainly no place for them in my diet.
那我是绝对不会再碰了
Oh, man, that's so cool.
实在是太酷了
She doesn't even have to chew.
它甚至不用嚼
I mean, think of all the time you'd save.
想想 省了多少时间啊
I could've gone my whole life not knowing that snakes eat eggs raw...
我本来一辈子都不会知道蛇是生吞鸡蛋的
if it hadn't been for Lynetta.
都是因为琳妮塔
She had a major-league thing for Skyler Brown.
她和斯凯勒·布朗关系不一般
I think it's gross.
我觉得很恶心
He and Juli's brothers, Matt and Mark, had formed a band.
他和朱莉的哥哥马特和马克组了个乐队
And Lynetta would watch them practice.
琳妮塔经常去看他们排练
That is so neat.
真是太棒了
How about that, huh, Bryce?
怎么样 布莱斯
Yeah. Neat.
是啊 很棒
So, Brycie, how do you think he's gonna digest that?
布莱斯 你觉得它要怎么消化这蛋
- Stomach acid? - You'd like to think that.
-用胃酸吗 -估计你就会这样想
Wait, everybody quiet. Here he goes.
大家安静 看好了
Eggs over easy.
煎荷包蛋了
Gross. Gross, gross, gross.
恶心 恶心
Wait, wait. You haven't seen the best part.
等等 你还没看见最精彩的呢
Gross.
真恶心
I tried to be casual about it, but it didn't take.
我试图保持淡定 但不太成功
I started having bad dreams.
我开始做噩梦
I'd be trapped inside a huge egg...
梦到我被困在一个巨大的蛋里
and this monster would open his jaws and start to devour me.
一只怪兽正要张开大嘴把我吞掉
I'd wake up just in time.
幸好这时我醒了
Then the real nightmare began.
然后真正的噩梦开始了
Hi, Bryce. I brought these over for you and your family.
布莱斯 我给你们拿了些这个
- My chickens are laying eggs. - What?
-我的鸡下蛋了 -什么
You remember Abby and Bonnie
你记得小黑 小黄
and Clyde and Dexter and Eunice and Florence?
阿扁 阿呆 点点和花花吗
- The ones I hatched for the science fair. - How could I forget?
-我在科技展上孵化的 -怎么可能忘
It was classic Juli Baker.
这就是经典的朱莉·贝克
She totally dominated the fair.
她在展览上出尽风头
And get this, her project was all about watching boring eggs hatch.
你想 她做的项目就是观察无聊的孵蛋过程
I mean, here I had a live-action erupting volcano...
而我可是有一座实景喷发的火山啊
and all anyone cared about was Juli's boring chicks...
但所有人都在关注朱莉的无聊小鸡
breaking out of their boring shells.
从它们的无聊蛋壳里破壳而出
Oh, I think the last one's hatching.
最后一只好像要出来了
- It's hatching. - Oh, it's hatching.
-出来了 -出来了
Kids, come over here.
孩子们 过来
But hey, she won. I lost.
她赢了 我输了
I've never been one to dwell.
我总得不到大家垂青
Here it comes.
出来了
But that didn't mean I had to eat her lousy eggs.
但这并不意味着我得吃她恶心的鸡蛋
I think it was very sweet of Juli to bring us those eggs.
朱莉真好 送鸡蛋给我们吃
I don't care. I'm still having cereal tomorrow.
才不稀罕 我明早还吃麦片
Yeah, how do we know there's no chicks in one of those eggs?
我们怎么知道那些蛋里有没有小鸡
I used to eat farm-fresh eggs when I was a kid. They were delicious.
我小时候常吃农场的新鲜土鸡蛋 非常好吃
Yeah, well, that's all well and good...
好吧 是非常好
but what if we crack one open and a dead chick falls out?
但万一敲开 结果出来一只死小鸡怎么办
Do they have a rooster?
他们有公鸡吗
If they don't have a rooster the eggs can't be fertile.
如果没有公鸡 那蛋就不会受精
And if they had a rooster, we'd know.
如果他们养了公鸡 我们会知道的
The whole neighborhood would know.
所有邻居都会知道的
Maybe they got it de-yodeled.
也许他们把它喔喔弄残了
"De-yodeled"?
"喔喔弄残了"?
You know. De-cock-a-doodle-doo'd.
就是把它的喔喔喔给弄废了
What the hell are you talking about?
什么乱七八糟的
Like they de-bark dogs.
就像把狗弄哑那样
Bryce, why don't you just ask Juli?
布莱斯 你干嘛不直接问朱莉呢
- I don't think that... - What?
-我不觉得... -什么
- You afraid to talk to her? - I'm not afraid to talk to her.
-你怕和她说话吗 -我才不怕和她说话
I know you are, but what am I?
我知道那是你 那我是什么
Okay. Just talk to her and find out.
好了 问问她就知道了
How do you tell if one's a rooster?
你怎么知道什么样的是公鸡
Well, a rooster's bigger. Longer feathers.
公鸡更大 羽毛更长
They've got that red stuff growing out of their head.
它们头上长着红色的东西
And around their neck too.
脖子周围也有
That shouldn't be too hard to spot.
那应该不难认
Although, come to think of it,
不过话说回来
chickens have the rubbery red stuff too.
其它鸡也有那种红色肉瘤
Just not as much.
只是没那么大
Garrett's expertise in roosters...
伽利特对公鸡的精通
was the cornerstone of our plan to avoid contact with Juli Baker.
是我们避免与朱莉·贝克接触的基石
The balance of which involved spying over her back fence.
剩下要做的就是去偷窥她家后院了
- Come on, come on. - Shh. Shh.
-快来 快来 -嘘 嘘
Over here.
就这里
I can't see the stupid chickens.
我看不见那些蠢鸡
We gotta get them out of the coop.
我们得让它们从鸡窝里出来
Is that a rooster?
那是公鸡吗
No, it looks like a chicken.
不 看起来像普通鸡
How can you tell?
你怎么知道
It just does.
一看就知道
See what I mean? Expertise.
看到了吧 这就是精通
- Shh, shh! - What?
-嘘 嘘 -怎么了
Juli.
朱莉
Here, guys.
快来吃
Go on, there you go.
继续 快吃吧
- Here, guys. Go on. - Yeah, they're all chickens.
-给 接着吃 -没错 都是普通鸡
- There's no rooster? - What did I just say?
-没有公鸡吗 -我不是刚说了吗
How can you tell?
你怎么知道
- Well, none of them are strutting. - Here, come on.
-没有那种昂首阔步的鸡 -给 来啊
- Roosters strut? - Come on, guys.
-公鸡昂首阔步吗 -来吃啊
- What did I just say? - Here.
-我不是刚说了吗 -给
Plus, hardly any of them have any rubbery red stuff.
而且它们几乎都没长红色肉瘤
- What are you doing? - Yeah. They're definitely all chickens.
-你在干什么 -它们绝对都是普通鸡
They're all chickens.
都是普通鸡
I'm proud of you, Bryce.
我为你骄傲 布莱斯
- You overcame your fear. - Huh?
-你克服了自己的恐惧 -什么
- You talked to her. - Oh, heh. Yeah.
-你和她说话了 -噢 是啊
It's no big deal.
没什么大不了的
That's what she told you? They're all chickens?
她怎么和你说的 都是普通鸡吗
Yeah.
是啊
She's a genius. You're both genius...
她是个天才 你们都是天才
Of course they're all chickens.
当然都是普通鸡
A rooster's a chicken. The question is:
公鸡也是普通鸡 问题是
Is one of them a rooster or are they all hens?
有没有公鸡 或者说是否全是母鸡
Hens? Who said anything about hens?
母鸡? 什么时候提到过母鸡
Then it hit me.
我明白了
Garrett didn't know jack shit about chickens.
伽利特根本不懂鸡
- Do roosters strut? - Yes, they do.
-公鸡都昂首阔步是吗 -是的 没错
What does that have to do with anything?
这又有什么关系
They're all hens.
它们都是母鸡
Well, the main thing is the eggs are okay.
重要的是鸡蛋没问题就行
It's all settled.
没事了
Not for me.
对我来说可不是
There was no way I was ever gonna eat anything...
我绝对不吃
that had anything to do with Juli Baker.
和朱莉·贝克有关的任何东西
I'm not eating them.
我不吃那些蛋
Well, why not?
为什么呢
Have you seen their yard? It's...
你看见他们的院子了吗 真是...
There's not even any grass. It's all mud and chicken turds.
连根草都没有 全是泥巴和鸡屎
Ew. Gross. Salmonella.
恶心 沙门氏菌
Do you suppose they could have salmonella?
你觉得这些蛋会有沙门氏菌吗
- It's not very likely. - Why take the risk?
-可能性不大 -何必要冒险呢
What do we do with the eggs?
那这些鸡蛋怎么办
Give them back.
退回去
- Give them back? To Juli? - Sure.
-退回去? 给朱莉? -当然
You talked to her before, right? It didn't kill you.
你和她说过话了 对吧 不会要你命的
Well, what do I say?
那我怎么说啊
Tell her we don't eat eggs.
跟她说我们不吃鸡蛋
Uh, we're allergic to them or something.
我们全家都对鸡蛋过敏之类的
Come on, use your brains.
动动脑子
It didn't feel right to lie.
撒谎似乎不大好
Besides, even a seventh grader would know
而且 连初一的学生都知道
that entire families aren't allergic to eggs.
不可能全家都对鸡蛋过敏的
But I didn't wanna hurt her feelings either.
但我也不想伤害她的感情
So that left me with only one option.
所以我别无选择了
And thus another near-death experience...
于是在我与朱莉·贝克的拉锯战中
in my ongoing saga with juli Baker had been successfully avoided.
又一次致命接触被成功避免了
Until one week later.
直到一周后
Hi, Bryce. Brought you some more eggs.
布莱斯 又给你拿了些鸡蛋
- Thanks. - Did your family like the first batch?
-谢谢 -你家人喜欢上一批吗
Do you even have to ask?
还用问吗
Great. See you at school.
太好了 学校见
What I hoped would be a one-time event...
我本以为这是一次性事件
was just the beginning of a life consumed with lies, intrigue and deception.
可这只是一段谎言阴谋和欺骗生涯的开始
Every morning I'd be on the lookout for Juli...
每天早上我都盯着朱莉
so if she happened to come,
这样如果她要来
I could whip the door open before she knocked.
我就能在她敲门之前把门打开
Thanks.
谢谢
Then I'd dump the eggs before anyone noticed.
然后在有人注意到之前把鸡蛋扔掉
And why? Why couldn't I just face her?
这是为什么 为什么我就是没法面对她
Why couldn't I just say:
为什么我就不能说
"No, thanks. Don't want them.
不 谢谢 不想要
Don't need them. Give them to the snake"?
不需要 拿去给蛇吃吧
Was I really afraid of hurting her feelings...
我是真的怕伤了她的感情呢
or was I just afraid of her?
还是因为我怕她呢
Now, you wanna make sure you get it...
现在 你要确定你...
When Mrs. Brubeck first suggested hatching eggs as my science project...
最初布贝老师建议我选孵蛋作科研课题时
I was less than excited.
我还觉得没多大意思
That is, until I saw my first sign of life.
直到我第一次看到生命的迹象
Is that it?
那就是吗
- That's the embryo. Heh. - Wow.
-那个就是胚胎 -哇
- It looks like a bean. - It does.
-看起来像个豆子 -确实
Let's try the other ones.
试试别的鸡蛋
Suddenly it felt real.
突然感觉就真实起来了
All the eggs were alive.
所有的蛋都是有生命的
There were, like, little bean babies inside every one.
就好象每个蛋里面都有一个豆子宝宝
On the day of the fair, all six chicks hatched.
科学展那天 六个蛋全都孵出小鸡了
What are the odds?
真没想到啊
This year's top prize goes to Juli Baker...
今年的一等奖由朱莉·贝克获得
科学展
for her wonderful project:
她获奖的的出色项目是
"A Chicken is Born."
"一只鸡的诞生"
I won first place.
我得了第一名
And that was cool, but all I really cared about were my chicks.
这很酷 但我真正关心的是我的小鸡们
There you go. There you go, guys.
来吧 快吃吧
My mom wasn't crazy about us raising chickens.
我妈妈对养鸡没多大兴趣
But I begged and pleaded.
可我再三央求
I told her I would take care of everything. And I did.
我跟她说我会打理一切 我说到做到了
Where's Clyde?
阿扁在哪
Clyde?
阿扁
Hey, Clyde. What's the matter?
阿扁 怎么了
Are you okay? Aren't you hungry?
你还好吧 你不饿吗
Come on. Come here. What's wrong, baby?
过来 到这来 怎么了宝贝
Come here.
过来
Hey, you're not Clyde. You're Clydette.
你不应该叫阿扁 叫阿珍才对
Mom!
妈妈
As it turned out, my hens laid more eggs than we could eat.
结果 我的鸡下的蛋我们都吃不完
At first we tried to keep up...
一开始我们还想努力赶上进度
but after a month of boiling, frying and deviling...
但是在一个月的煎炒烹炸之后
like that movie The Blob,
就像电影《变形怪体》里一样
we were being overtaken by eggs.
我们被鸡蛋打败了
Then opportunity in the form of our neighbor, Mrs. Steuby, knocked.
当邻居斯杜比太太来敲门时 转机来了
Hello, dear.
你好 亲爱的
If you ever have any extra, I'd be happy to buy them from you.
如果你有多余的鸡蛋 我很乐意买
- Really? - Certainly.
-真的吗 -当然
And I happen to know that Mrs. Helms would be interested as well.
我还知道赫尔姆斯太太也想要
- Great. - Nothing like fresh eggs.
-太好了 -没什么比新鲜鸡蛋更好了
Thanks, Mrs. Steuby.
谢谢 斯杜比太太
You bet, dear. Bye.
可不是么 亲爱的 再见
Between Mrs. Steuby and Mrs. Helms,
有了斯杜比太太和赫尔姆斯太太
my egg overflow problem was solved.
我鸡蛋过剩的问题解决了
Then I realized that Mrs. Loski deserved eggs too.
我想到也该拿点鸡蛋给洛斯奇太太
But I didn't think it would be right to charge her.
但我觉得不该对她收费
She had been such a good neighbor,
她是个非常好的邻居
lending us supplies when we ran out...
我们东西用完时她会借给我们
...giving my mother a ride when our car wouldn't start...
我们车坏时会让我妈搭车
...it was the least I could do.
送她点鸡蛋真是微不足道
Besides, if I happened to run into Bryce,
再说 就算被布莱斯撞见
that wouldn't be the end of the world.
也不会是世界末日
Hi, Bryce.
嗨 布莱斯
By the third time I brought eggs over to the Loskis...
到我第三次给洛斯奇家送蛋时
...I realized Bryce was waiting for me.
我意识到布莱斯在等我
Waiting to pull open the door and say,
等着打开门说
"Thanks, Juli. See you at school."
"谢谢 朱莉 学校见"
And in return, I got a few moments alone...
回报是 我能和世上最明亮迷人的
...with the world's most dazzling eyes.
那双眼睛独处片刻
Thanks, Juli. See you at school.
谢谢 朱莉 学校见
It was a bargain.
真是太值了
Until the day it wasn't.
直到某一天 就不再是这样了
It was two weeks after the sycamore tree was cut down...
那是在梧桐树被砍倒两星期后
...and I was just starting to feel normal again.
我正开始恢复正常
Hey, Juli. Right on schedule.
嗨 朱莉 真准时
Yeah, well, neither rain nor sleet.
嗯 风雨无阻
- Huh? - You know, the mailman thing?
-嗯? -就像邮差那样
Oh. Right.
哦对
So, um, will you start riding the bus again?
那 你还会坐校车吗
I don't know. I haven't been up there since...
不知道 自那之后我就没再坐过
It doesn't look so bad anymore. It's all cleared away.
那里看起来没那么糟了 都清理干净了
Well, um, I better get ready for school.
我得准备上学了
Guess I'll see you there.
学校见吧
See you.
学校见
Maybe Bryce was right.
布莱斯说的或许没错
Maybe it was time I started riding the bus again.
也许我该恢复乘校车了
After all, didn't he just tell me he wanted me to?
他的意思不就是希望我去坐车嘛
Could it be that Bryce Loski actually misses me?
布莱斯·洛斯奇是想我了吧
Juli? What are you still doing here?
朱莉 你还在这干嘛
I was just thinking.
只是在想事情
It's pickup day. The cans are in front.
今天是收垃圾的日子 垃圾桶在门口
I know. You need some help?
知道 要帮忙吗
No. Maybe I'll do it later.
不用 我晚点再扔吧
Are those my eggs?
那些是我的蛋吗
Yeah. Yeah, I dropped them.
嗯 我失手摔地上了
They're not broken.
它们根本没破
Why are you throwing them away?
为什么扔掉
Don't you want them?
你不想要吗
It wasn't me. My dad didn't think it was worth the risk.
不是我 我爸觉得不值得冒风险
Risk? What risk?
风险? 什么风险
Salmonella.
沙门氏菌
What are you talking about? He's afraid of being poisoned?
你说什么啊 他怕中毒吗
Well, Juli, I mean, look at your back yard. It's a complete mess.
朱莉 看看你们后院 真是一团糟
It's, like, covered in turds.
到处都是鸡屎
That's not true. I clean up after my girls every day.
乱讲 我每天都给小鸡们清扫的
We just didn't wanna hurt your feelings.
我们只是不想伤害你的感情
Have you always thrown them away?
你每次都把它们扔掉吗
You know, Mrs. Steuby and Mrs. Helms pay me for my eggs.
斯杜比太太和赫尔姆斯太太可是花钱买我的蛋
- They do? - They pay me 60 cents a dozen.
-真的? -一打6毛钱
I didn't know.
我不知道
How could you?
你怎么能这样
I'm sorry.
我很抱歉
No, you're not.
你才不会
It didn't take me long to realize that
不久我意识到
I'd traded in my old problems with Juli Baker for a whole set of new ones.
我和朱莉·贝克的老问题换成了新问题
It was actually worse having her mad at me than having her annoy me.
她生我的气比她烦扰我更糟糕
The way she ignored me was a constant reminder...
她对我的不理不睬一直在提醒着我
...that I'd been a jerk.
我是个混蛋
Then one day I was coming home from playing basketball with Garrett...
一天 我和伽利特打完篮球回家
...and things got weird.
事情变得很蹊跷
Don't be so timid. Come on, you won't hurt them.
别这么胆小 加把劲 你不会伤害它们的
- Like this? - Yeah, that's it.
-像这样? -对 就是这样
My grandfather.
我外公
All I ever saw him wear was slippers.
我从来看他都是穿拖鞋的
Now, where did he get those work boots?
今天不知他从哪弄了双工靴穿上了
I couldn't stop looking over there.
我忍不住往那边看
And the more I looked, the madder I got.
结果越看越来气
My grandfather had already said more to Juli in one hour...
我外公一小时和朱莉说的话
...than he'd said to me in the whole time he'd been living with us.
比和我们住在一起对我说过的全部话都多
I was pretty sure I'd never seen him laugh.
我还从没见他开怀大笑过
And what was his deal with Juli Baker?
他和朱莉·贝克究竟怎么回事呢
Hi, Grandpa.
嗨 外公
Juli told me about the eggs.
朱莉把蛋的事告诉我了
You know, Bryce...
知道吗 布莱斯
...one's character is set at an early age.
一个人的品性在年少时就定型了
I'd hate to see you swim out so far you can't swim back.
我不想看到你误入歧途
Sir?
什么
It's about honesty, son.
这是诚信问题 孩子
Sometimes a little discomfort in the beginning...
开始的一点小小不悦
...can save a whole lot of pain down the road.
往往能省却之后的很多痛苦
When it came to holding a grudge,
要说记仇的本事
Juli Baker was truly impressive.
朱莉·贝克真是有一套
All week I tried to approach her at school.
整个星期我在学校都试着接近她
She'd always find some way to duck me.
她总能想办法避开我
And whenever she was in her yard,
而只要她在她家院子里
Grandpa was always there with her.
外公总和她一起
Finally, one Saturday I saw my opening.
终于 一个星期六我找到了机会
My grandfather had gone into town to buy some Bengay.
外公到城里买止痛膏去了
I guess the yard work was starting to get to him.
估计收拾庭院的活儿开始让他吃不消了
It's looking real good.
看起来真不错
Thanks. Chet did most of it.
谢谢 大部分都是切特做的
I'm sorry for what I did.
我为我的行为道歉
I just don't get it, Bryce. Why didn't you just tell me?
我真不明白 布莱斯 为何不直接告诉我
I don't know. It was dumb.
不知道 我的做法真蠢
And I shouldn't have said anything about your yard, either.
我也不该瞎说你家的院子
It wasn't right.
这样不对
Maybe it's all for the best.
也许这样正好
I mean, look, I learned so much from Chet, it's amazing.
我是说 我从切特那学到这么多 真是太好了
You're lucky.
你真幸运
I don't even have grandparents anymore.
我都没有爷爷奶奶了
I feel sorry for him.
我很替他难过
He misses your grandma.
他很想念你外婆
Can you believe it? He says I remind him of her.
你能相信吗 他说我让他想起了她
- What? - I know. That's what I said.
-什么 -我知道有点怪 你没有听错
But he meant it in a nice way. Something about her spirit.
但他的用意很好 是说她的精神方面
Yeah...
这样啊
Good luck with the grass. I'm sure it'll come up great.
祝这些草好运 我相信长出来一定很棒
Thanks.
谢谢
I guess I'll see you around.
回头见
I guess so.
《波纳扎》
While Juli's acceptance of my apology was not all that I'd hoped for...
虽然朱莉接受我道歉并不像我希望的那样
...at least the eggs thing was finally behind me.
但至少鸡蛋风波终于过去了
The first time in months I could truly enjoy Bonanza.
几个月来我第一次能安心看《波纳扎》了
Where you going and why you dressed like that?
你去哪儿 怎么穿成那样
Skyler's.
去斯凯勒家
Matt and Mark are bringing over recording stuff
马特和马克带来了录音设备
and they're gonna make a demo.
他们准备录试唱样带
Demo? Like they know how to make a demo.
样带? 搞得好像他们知道怎么弄似的
- You don't even know them. - I don't have to. I know the type.
-你都不认识人家 -不必认识 我知道这号人
- You don't know anything. - Don't talk to me like that.
-你一无所知 -别用这语气和我说话
- I'm late. - Be back by 11.
-我要迟到了 -11点前回来
Yep. Everything was back to normal.
对 一切都恢复正常了
Is that girl working you too hard?
那丫头片子把你累坏了吧
That girl's name is Juli. And, no, she isn't working me too hard.
她的名字叫朱莉 她也没把我累着
You've developed quite a soft spot for her, huh?
你还挺关心她的嘛
Steven.
斯蒂文
No, Patsy. Just wanna find out why your father has the energy...
帕茜 我只是想知道你爸哪来这么大劲头
...to befriend a complete stranger...
跑去跟一个陌生人交朋友
...when he won't throw a baseball around with his own grandson.
而他都不愿和自己的外孙玩玩棒球
- It's okay, Dad. - No, it's not okay.
-没事 爸 -不 这样不对
Juli reminds him of Grandma.
朱莉让他想到外婆
Of Renee? Heh.
想到瑞妮?
That's ridiculous.
真可笑
You know why the Bakers haven't fixed their yard?
你知道贝克家为何不修理院子吗
Yeah, because he's too busy with his paint-by-numbers kit.
是因为太忙于画他的烂画了吧
If you had a brother with a severe handicap, what would you do?
如果你有个严重残疾的兄弟 你会怎么做
What the hell does that have to do with anything?
怎么会扯上这个
Juli's father has a retarded brother.
朱莉的父亲有个智障的兄弟
So what? He's not the gardener, is he? Heh.
那又怎样 那院子不会是他兄弟弄的吧
Steven.
斯蒂文
It was a joke.
开个玩笑
You know, other people have family troubles...
其他人也会有家庭问题
...and they manage to mow their own lawns.
而人家也能修理自家的草坪
I don't know where their pride in ownership is.
真不知他们对拥有家园的自豪感在哪儿
They don't own that house.
那房子不是他们的
The landlord's supposed to maintain it.
应该是房东修理才对
Mr. Baker puts every extra penny he has into caring for his brother.
贝克先生把多出的每分钱都用于照顾弟弟
Don't they have government facilities for that sort of thing?
不是有政府的护理机构管这种事吗
Maybe they thought that a private facility would be better for him.
可能他们认为私人护理机构对他更好
Either way, it's not our fault
无论怎样 他们家染色体异常
that their family has some chromosomal abnormality.
这可不是我们的错
It has nothing to do with chromosomes.
和染色体没关系
When Juli's uncle was born,
朱莉的叔叔出生时
he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck.
脖子被脐带缠住了
If he'd had enough oxygen,
如果有足够的氧气
he would've been a perfect little baby, just like your son.
他也会像你的儿子一样是个好宝宝
Goddamn it, Chet.
真扯淡 切特
- Patsy? Patsy? - Leave me alone!
-帕茜 -让我自己待会儿
Sorry about that.
抱歉
Why is Mom so upset?
妈妈怎么这么伤心
Because...
因为...
...but for the grace of God...
还好上帝保佑
...your mother could be standing in Mr. Baker's shoes.
你妈差点和贝克先生的处境一样
Did her brother have the cord wrapped around his neck too?
她兄弟脖子也被脐带缠住了?
You did.
是你
Luckily, the doctor who delivered you was on the ball and got it untangled...
幸好接产医生反应及时 把脐带解开了
...but it easily could've gone the other way.
不然那种事是极有可能的
- Wanna go for a walk? - Huh?
-想出去走走吗 -嗯?
I find it helps clear the mind.
出去走走有助于清理思绪
What would they have done with me?
如果我那样了他们会把我怎样
You can't dwell on something that might've been, Bryce.
你不该琢磨那些也许会发生的事 布莱斯
The way my dad was talking,
我爸说话的口气
sounds like he would've thrown me in a nuthouse.
听起来就像会把我丢进疯人院
No, no. Now, that's not fair.
不不 这么说不公平
You can't condemn him for something he hasn't done.
你不能用未发生之事来谴责他
This is where that tree was, wasn't it?
这里就是那树的位置 是吗
Yeah.
Must've been a spectacular view.
景色一定很壮观
She's quite a girl.
她是很不错的女孩儿
Some of us get dipped in flat...
我们中有的人暗淡无光
...some in satin...
有的色泽艳丽
...some in gloss.
有的则光彩照人
But every once in a while...
但是偶尔
...you find someone who's iridescent.
你也会遇到色彩斑斓的人
And when you do...
当你真遇到时
...nothing will ever compare.
其他一切都不重要了
Flat, glossy, iridescent?
暗淡无光 光彩照人 色彩斑斓?
What the hell did that mean?
那究竟是什么意思
Juli Baker had always just seemed plain to me.
朱莉·贝克在我看来一直很普通而已
Until now.
直到现在
And the way she talked about what it felt like to be up in that tree...
还有她描述在那棵树上的感觉的方式
...to be held above the earth, brushed by the wind.
被高高托举于大地之上 清风吹拂
Who in junior high talks like that?
哪个初中生会那样说
This weird feeling started taking over in the pit of my stomach...
这种奇怪的感觉开始令我很不安
...and I didn't like it.
我不喜欢这感觉
I was slipping, man.
我正在越陷越深
And it was time to get a grip.
得想办法停下来了
I'd never been embarrassed by where we lived before.
之前我从未因我们住的地方感到羞愧
I also never really thought about money.
我也从未想过钱
I knew we weren't rich,
我知道我们并不富裕
but I didn't feel like we were missing anything.
但我没觉得我们缺少什么
That is, until Bryce Loski called our home a complete mess.
直到布莱斯·洛斯奇把我们家称为一团糟
- What's your name? - What's your name?
-请教芳名 -请教芳名
Is it Mary or Sue?
玛丽还是苏
What's your name?
请教芳名
Do I stand a chance with you?
我有机会吗
It's so hard to find a personality
魅力如你之人
With charms like yours for me
真是众里难寻
I had to do something and I knew what it was.
我得做点什么 我知道该做什么
What's your name?
请教芳名
- Oh, you're sounding really good. - Yeah.
-听起来真不错 -嗯
We'll record it in Skyler's garage.
我们要在斯凯勒的车库里录这首歌
That's a wonderful project.
这是个很棒的计划
Speaking of projects, I was thinking it might be cool to fix up the yard.
说到计划 我想修理下院子会很不错
- What? - I mean, how much can grass seed cost?
-什么 -我是说 草种能花多少钱呢
I could plant a lawn, maybe some flowers.
我可以种块草坪 也许再种些花
I could even put up a fence.
甚至弄个栅栏
Honey, that's a major undertaking.
宝贝 那可是笔大开销
- I could pay for it with my egg money. - No. That's your money.
-我可以用我卖鸡蛋的钱支付 -不 那是你的钱
The landlord should be the one taking care of all this.
这些事应该房东做才对
But he doesn't. And we live here.
但他没做 我们又住在这儿
And it looks so bad.
看上去太糟糕了
Jules.
朱莉
What's going on?
怎么了
Nothing, Dad.
没什么 爸爸
It's okay, sweetheart.
没关系的 甜心
You can tell us.
告诉我们吧
The Loskis have been throwing away my eggs
洛斯奇家把我的鸡蛋全扔了
because they're afraid of salmonella.
因为他们担心有沙门氏菌
Because our yard is such a mess.
因为我们的院子一团糟
Did Patsy say that?
帕茜这么说的吗
No. Bryce did.
不是 布莱斯说的
But it must have been a family discussion.
但肯定一家人讨论过
A boy doesn't come up with that on his own.
一个小男孩是不会那样想的
- Who cares what they think? - Yeah, who cares?
-谁在乎他们怎么想 -对 谁在乎呢
- I care. - Trina.
-我在乎 -翠娜
Let's not get into this.
我们别为这个动气好吗
No, I'm tired of living like this, Richard.
不 我受够了 理查德
I'm tired of having to take temp jobs just to make ends meet.
我受够了总要做零工来贴补家用
I'm tired of having to push a chair up against the washing machine...
我受够了老得用椅子顶住那洗衣机
...just to keep the door shut.
才能关上门
I'm tired of having to borrow Mrs. Steuby's vacuum cleaner...
我受够了每当我们的吸尘器坏掉时
...every time ours breaks down.
都要去借斯杜比太太的
Do you think this is the life I pictured for us?
你觉得我想让大家过这样的日子吗
Sometimes you have to sacrifice to do the right thing.
有时为了该做的事 你就得做点牺牲
We always end up agreeing
我们每次商量后都一致认为
that Devonhurst is the right thing for Daniel.
送丹尼去德文霍斯特是应该的
Well, maybe we should start thinking about what's right for us.
也许我们该想想 为自己什么是该做的了
Our daughter is suffering because we won't fix up our own yard.
女儿因我们没有修理自己的院子而遭耻笑
It's not our yard.
这不是我们的院子
How can you say that, Richard? How?
你怎能那么说 理查德
We've lived here for 12 years...
我们在这住了12年
...and for 12 years we've been saying it's temporary, but it's not.
12年来我们一直说只是暂住 但并不是
This is our home.
这就是我们的家
Is it wrong to wanna live somewhere you can be proud of?
想住一个可以引以为豪的地方有错吗
To have enough to send your kids to college?
攒够钱送孩子去大学有错吗
Maybe it's time we considered government care.
或许是时候考虑一下政府的福利机构了
We are not moving my brother.
决不能把我兄弟送那儿去
He's more important than your own children?
他比你自己的孩子更重要吗
- Dad! - How dare you!
-爸 -你竟敢这么说
Stop it, Dad! Please, just stop.
别吵了 爸 别吵了
I'm sorry. Julianna, this is not your fault.
对不起 朱莉安娜 这不是你的错
We'll work this out, I promise.
我们会想出办法的 我保证
That was the first time I ever heard my parents really yell at each other.
那是我第一次听到我父母大吵
I'm sorry about tonight.
今晚的事我很抱歉
That night they each came into my room.
那晚他们分别来到我房间
My father talked about his brother and how much he loved him...
父亲讲了他弟弟的事 以及他如何爱他
...and how he promised his parents he'd always take care of him.
以及他如何答应父母要一直照顾他
My mother talked about how much she loved my father...
母亲则告诉我 她有多爱我的父亲
...for his strength and kind heart.
爱他的坚强和善良
When she kissed me good night...
当吻我晚安时
...she whispered that of all her many blessings,
她在我耳边说 在所有上天给她的赐福中
I was her best.
我是最重要的
I felt sorry for my father.
我为爸爸感到难过
I felt sorry for my mother.
也为妈妈难过
But most of all, I felt lucky for me that they were mine.
不过 拥有他们我觉得很幸运
I wanted to think the reason I started working on my yard...
我努力把整理庭院的原因
...had nothing to do with Bryce.
想的跟布莱斯无关
It was about making our house better.
只是为了美化住宅
After what he did with the eggs,
既然他那样处理鸡蛋
why should I care what he thought about anything?
我又何必在意他想什么
But I did.
但我还是在意了
Are you pruning that or trying to hack it to death?
你是在做修剪还是想把它劈死啊
Hi. I'm Chet Duncan, Bryce's grandfather.
我叫切特·邓肯 布莱斯的外公
Sorry it's taken me so long to come over and introduce myself.
很抱歉这么晚才过来自我介绍
Nice to meet you.
很高兴见到你
So are you trimming all these to the same height?
你是想把枝修剪得一样高吗
Well, yeah, that's what I was thinking, but I don't know.
是啊 我是这么想的 就是不知道怎么做
Do you think it would look better to take them out?
如果把它们全除了 你觉得会更好些吗
Oh, these are Hicksii shrubs. These will prune up nicely.
这些是红豆杉灌木 修剪好了会很棒的
Listen, Mr. Duncan.
邓肯先生
Call me Chet.
叫我切特就行
Chet.
切特
If you're here because of what Bryce said...
如果你是因为布莱斯说的话才过来的
...I don't need your help.
我不需要你来帮忙
Read about you in the paper.
我在报纸上读到过你的消息
Renee would've sat up in that tree with you.
要是瑞妮在一定会跟你坐树上的
She would've sat up there all night.
她会在树上呆上一整夜
Renee?
瑞妮?
My wife.
我妻子
You remind me a lot of her.
你让我想起了她
We worked on the yard for weeks.
我们在院子里忙活了几周
And the whole time we worked, we talked.
边干活边聊天
- Right there? - Perfect, yeah.
-就这儿吗 -对 很好
He wanted to know more about the sycamore tree.
他想了解更多有关梧桐树的事
He knew exactly what it meant...
他非常清楚
...about the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
所谓整体大于部分之和的含义
He said it was the same with people...
他说人也是一样
...but sometimes with people, the whole could be less.
只不过对于人 整体有时反而更小
I thought that was pretty interesting.
我觉得这很有意思
I started looking at people i'd known since elementary school...
我开始观察那些从小学就认识的人
...trying to figure out if they
想看看他们
were more or less than the sum of their parts.
是大于还是小于各自的部分之和
Chet was right. A lot of them were less.
切特说得对 很多人作为整体反而更小
Of all my classmates,
在所有同学里
the one person I couldn't seem to place was Bryce.
我唯一不确定的就是布莱斯
Until recently, I would've said with absolute certainty...
要是以前 我会毫无疑问地说
...that he was greater, far greater, than the sum of his parts.
作为整体他远比他的部分之和要大
But now I wasn't so sure.
现在我却不那么确定了
It's looking good, Juli. Nice job.
看上去不错 朱莉 干得好
Thanks. Chet did most of it.
谢了 大部分都是切特做的
I'm sorry for what I did.
我为我的行为道歉
I just don't get it, Bryce.
我就是不明白 布莱斯
Why didn't you just tell me?
干嘛不直接告诉我
Was he really sorry?
他真有歉意吗
Or was he just saying these things to make himself feel better?
还是说了这些话他自己会好受些呢
Then I thought maybe I just wanted him to be more than the sum of his parts.
或许我只是希望他的整体比部分之和大吧
But as I looked into his eyes...
但当我看着他的眼睛
...those dazzling eyes...
那双明亮迷人的眼睛
...for the first time I was pretty sure that Bryce Loski was less.
我第一次确定布莱斯作为整体一定更小
We're going to invite the Bakers over for dinner.
我们要请贝克家过来吃饭
- What? - I don't know, Mom.
-什么 -有点意外啊 妈妈
I think that's a marvelous idea.
这是个很棒的主意
Patsy, what purpose does this serve?
帕茜 干嘛请他们来
Trina Baker is a very nice person.
翠娜·贝克人很不错
- And Matt and Mark are really cool. - I hate cool.
-马特跟马克也很酷 -我讨厌酷
Something we should've done years ago.
几年前就该请他们吃饭了
Yeah, but we didn't. And now we can't.
是啊 当初没有 现在就更不行了
The statute of limitations has run out.
时机已经错过了
We're having the Bakers over for dinner.
请贝克家过来吃饭请定了
If this is about what I said last night, I'm sorry, okay?
如果是因为昨晚我所说的话 我道歉 好吗
But, you know, having them over for dinner is not gonna fix his brother.
可是请他们过来吃饭也治不好他弟弟
It's going to be a sit-down dinner.
这将是个正式晚宴
And I expect everyone to dress accordingly.
希望大家衣着得体
Oh, God. Can't we just have a barbecue?
天哪 就弄个烧烤不好吗
It's going to be a sit-down dinner.
是正式晚宴
Just shoot me now.
杀了我吧
Careful what you wish for.
这话可不能乱说
So that was it.
于是就这么定了
A dress-up, sit-down dinner
正式着装的正式晚宴
with Juli Baker was in my immediate future.
不久就要和朱莉·贝克坐在一个饭桌上了
And that made seeing Juli at school more uncomfortable.
这让我在学校看见朱莉时更不自然了
I found myself staring at her in class.
我不知不觉中在课堂上盯着她看
And the way her hair fell back over her shoulders...
她的长发散落至肩
...she looked just like the picture in the newspaper.
看上去就像她在报纸图片里的样子
Dana Tressler caught me watching.
丹娜·崔斯勒发现了我的痴样
If I didn't do something fast, this could spread like wildfire.
要是我反应慢点的话 又得风言风语了
There was a bee in her hair.
她头发上有只蜜蜂
See, there it goes.
看 飞走了
There's no bee.
根本没蜜蜂
It flew out the window.
从窗户飞出去了
I convinced myself I'd dodged a bullet.
我总算躲过了一劫
I had to put Juli out of my mind.
我不能再这么想着朱莉了
Keep the focus on the important stuff like schoolwork.
还是把注意力集中到重要的学业上来吧
My weakness was unnerving.
我却总是身不由己
I need your sharpener.
借卷笔刀一用
You ever heard of knocking?
进来要敲门
Hey, what you got there? Dad's Playboy?
藏着什么呢 老爸的《花花公子》杂志吗
None of your business.
不关你事
- Give my best to Miss October. - Get out.
-代我向十月女郎问好哦 -出去
- Or should I say your best? Ha, ha. - You're disgusting.
-应该说是代你自己向她问好吧 -你真恶心
Another disaster avoided.
又躲过一劫
My life had become a minefield.
我的生活俨然成了雷区
- Hey, man. - Hey.
-嘿 哥们 -嗨
What's this?
这是什么啊
It's not what you think.
不是你想的那样
Okay, it is what you think, but I can explain.
好吧 如你所想 不过我可以解释
Okay, I can't explain. Can we just talk about it later?
好吧 我解释不了 待会再说行吗
Whatever you say.
随便你了
I had to talk to someone.
我得找个人说说心事
Why not Garrett?
不如就找伽利特吧
Maybe he could help me get back on track.
或许他能帮我重回正轨
Garrett was surprisingly sensitive in matters of the heart.
在内心情感方面伽利特极有悟性
Are you freaking mental? Juli Baker. You hate her.
你神经病啊 朱莉·贝克 你讨厌她
That's what's weird. I don't think I do.
我也奇怪 我好像并不讨厌她了
I can't stop thinking about her.
我就是忍不住老想她
- You got it bad, man. - Well, what do I do?
-你完了 -那我该怎么办
Well, you gotta nip this in the bud.
你必须及早打消这种想法
These aren't real emotions.
这不是真实的情感
- They're not? - You feel guilty because of the egg thing.
-不是吗 -你是因为鸡蛋的事而感觉愧疚
Yeah, and I insulted her yard.
是啊 我还侮辱了她家的院子
Exactly. Of course, the place is a dump anyways.
没错 不过那地方确实一团糟
Her dad's got a retarded brother
她有个智障的叔叔
and all their money goes to helping him.
家里的钱都花在他身上了
A retard? Well, shoot, that ought to tell you something.
智障? 靠 那你就该明白了
- About what? - About Juli.
-明白什么 -朱莉啊
What are you saying?
什么啊
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, my friend.
所谓上梁不正下梁歪 朋友
I couldn't believe it. I wanted to yell at him.
真让人受不了 我真想朝他大吼
Tell him that he didn't know Juli like I did.
告诉他他并不了解朱莉
But all that came out was:
但最终说出口的却是:
Heh, oh. Right.
哦 对哦
Yeah.
对吧
Right. Um, I'll talk to you later.
没错 嗯...回头再聊吧
I was supposed to go to Garrett's after school...
放学后我本该去伽利特那儿的
...but I couldn't be around him.
可我不想见他
He'd crossed the line.
他太过分了
And standing right next to him across that line was my father.
跟他一样过分的还有我爸
I didn't care what they thought.
我才不管他们想什么
I liked Juli Baker.
我喜欢朱莉·贝克
Sunday mornings are peaceful in our house.
每个周日早上我们家都很宁静
My dad lets himself sleep in.
爸爸睡懒觉
My mother lets herself not fix breakfast.
我妈也不做早饭
If my brothers have been out late playing with their band...
要是哥哥们前一天出去和乐队玩到很晚
...you won't even know they're around till noon.
他们到中午才会起床
But this Sunday, I woke up feeling weird.
不过这个周日 我醒来后有种奇怪的感觉
I had to do something
我必须得忙活些什么
to shake off the confused feelings about Bryce...
好让自己忘掉对布莱斯纠结的感觉
...that were starting to creep back in.
这些感觉又开始萦绕在我脑中了
You really did it, didn't you? Heh.
你还真做到了 不是吗
- Proud of you. - Thanks, Dad.
-为你骄傲 -谢谢爸爸
- Where you going? - To see Daniel. It's his birthday.
-你去哪儿 -去看看丹尼 今天是他生日
I wanna come with you.
我想跟你一起去
Oh, honey, just enjoy the morning, stay with your mom.
亲爱的 好好享受早晨吧 陪陪你妈
No, Dad. I wanna come.
不 爸 我想去
Sweetheart, listen.
甜心 听着
Sometimes, with Daniel...
有时侯丹尼...
I'm coming, Dad.
我要去 爸
Okay.
好吧
We'd better leave a note for your mother.
最好留个便条给你妈妈
In all the years, I'd never visited my Uncle Daniel.
这些年来我都没去见过我叔叔丹尼
I don't know why.
不知道为什么
It was always something my dad did alone.
这事一直都是我爸单独去做的
We didn't say much to each other on the drive to Devonhurst,
去德文霍斯特的路上我们少言寡语
but I didn't care.
但我并不介意
I just liked being with my dad.
我就是喜欢跟我爸呆在一起
Somehow the silence seemed to connect us
不过似乎一路上的沉默
in a way that words never could.
反而胜过了千言万语
The residents tend to the grounds as part of their therapy.
这里的人把劳动也当做一种治疗手段
It takes some getting used to. They're good people, though.
得花点时间才能适应 不过他们人都很好
Daniel?
丹尼
Daniel.
丹尼
Richard! You're here!
理查德 你来啦
Richard for my birthday.
理查德来给我过生日了
Who? Richard, who? Who?
谁 理查德 这是谁
Who? Who? Richard, who? Who?
谁 谁 理查德 这是谁 谁
Daniel, Daniel, it's Julianna. It's my daughter.
丹尼 丹尼 这是朱莉安娜 我女儿
Your niece.
你的侄女
Julianna.
朱莉安娜
- Ha, Julianna. - Happy birthday, Uncle Daniel.
-朱莉安娜 -生日快乐 丹尼叔叔
Richard. It's my birthday.
理查德 今天是我生日
I have your pictures, Julianna. I have your pictures.
我有你照片 朱莉安娜 我有你照片
We have a present for you.
我们给你准备了礼物
A puzzle? A puzzle, Richard?
拼图吗 拼图 理查德
Not just a puzzle.
不只拼图
A puzzle and a...
拼图和一个...
...pinwheel.
风车
A pinwheel! Thank you, Richard.
风车 谢谢 理查德
Yes.
Orange. Outside? Outside, Richard?
橙色的 出去吗 出去 理查德
You wanna go outside? All right, we'll go to, uh, McElliot's.
想出去吗 好吧 那就去麦艾乐
- We'll walk out there for an ice cream. - Ice cream!
-我们走到那边买个冰激凌 -冰激凌
Oh, no. No, no, we can't.
不 不 不 不行
Daniel doesn't like ice cream.
丹尼不喜欢冰激凌
- I do like ice cream, Richard. - I'm only kidding.
-我喜欢冰激凌啊 理查德 -我开玩笑呢
I know you like ice cream.
我知道你喜欢
You love ice cream. All right, come on.
你喜欢冰激凌 好了 走吧
麦艾乐冰激凌糖果店
Here you go. Got it?
给 拿好
Here you go.
给你
It's my birthday.
今天是我生日
Lollipop. It's my birthday.
棒棒糖 今天是我生日
You like it?
你喜欢吗
All right, Daniel. Okay, wait, wait.
好了 丹尼 等等
Ice cream. Ice cream.
冰激凌 冰激凌
- My ice cream. My ice cream. - It's okay. Daniel.
-我的冰激凌 我的冰激凌 -没事的 丹尼
Daniel!
丹尼
Daniel! Leave it, I'll get y...
丹尼 别要了 我再...
Ice cream on the floor. Ice cream on the floor.
掉地上了 冰激凌掉地上了
- Would you go get him another cone? - Yeah.
-你再去给他买一个 -好
I need ice cream, Richard!
我要冰激凌 理查德
It's my birthday, Richard. It's my birthday!
今天我生日 理查德 我生日
Ice cream, Richard! Ice cream, Richard!
冰激凌 理查德 冰激凌 理查德
Stop! Stop it!
停 停
- I need it! - Stop it! Stop it!
-我要 -行了 停手
- Here we go. - Ice cream!
-来了 -冰激凌
- Richard! - Okay, okay. I've got some ice cream.
-理查德 -好了好了 有冰激凌了
Birthday ice cream. That's good, Richard.
生日冰激凌 太好了 理查德
I'm so sorry. He hasn't done anything like that...
抱歉 他以前没这样过...
I'd often heard my father talk about how difficult life was for Daniel.
我经常听爸爸说丹尼的生活有多么不易
But I never really understood it until now.
到今天我才真正理解
- Yeah, there you go. - Heh. Orange.
-嗯 转得不错 -橙色的
On the walk back, Daniel acted like nothing had happened.
走回去的时候 丹尼跟没事一样
Other way. Other way.
这边 这边
On the ride home, my dad told me that
回家的路上 爸爸告诉我
Uncle Daniel used to live with him and Mom before we were born.
在生我们之前 叔叔跟他和妈妈一起生活
But after a while, it became too difficult.
后来就变得很困难了
When we got home, everything looked the same.
回家后 表面看来一切如常
But it wasn't.
可实际上却变了
Before today, Daniel had always been just a name to me.
在此之前 丹尼对我来说只是个名字
Now he was part of the family.
现在却是家庭的一部分了
How'd it go?
怎么样
I'm glad I went.
很高兴我去了
I'm glad you went too.
我也很高兴
Trina, it's Sunday. What are you doing mopping the floor?
翠娜 今天周日 干嘛要拖地啊
Patty Loski invited us over for dinner Friday night.
帕茜·洛斯奇请我们下周五去她家吃晚饭
Shouldn't she be mopping her floor?
那不是应该她拖她家的地吗
Or did she ask to borrow ours?
难道是要借咱家地板一用?
Nervous energy.
我就是有点激动
- Did she invite all of us? - Yes, she did.
-请我们全家吗 -嗯 全家
Even our friend Sal Monella?
甚至包括我们的沙门氏菌朋友吗
Richard.
理查德
Why, after all these years?
为什么 都这么多年了
Well, she said she felt really bad that they hadn't invited us before...
她说这么多年都没邀请过我们 很过意不去
...and apparently they want to get to know us better.
而且看来他们也想和我们加深了解
And you wanna go?
你想去吗
Well, she insisted.
她坚持要请
And I think it would be really nice.
我觉得这也挺不错的
All right.
好吧
We'll go.
那就去吧
I wasn't too thrilled about dinner with the Loskis...
我不太想去洛斯奇家吃饭
...but I could see it meant a lot to my mother.
但我看得出我妈很期待
At school the next day, I couldn't seem to concentrate.
第二天上学时 我总是走神
My thoughts kept running back to Daniel.
思绪总是跑到丹尼那边
I wondered what my grandparents had gone through having a son like him...
爷爷奶奶一定为这样的儿子付出了很多
...when reality interrupted.
这时现实却打乱了我的思绪
- Bryce Loski likes you. - What?
-布莱斯·洛斯奇喜欢你 -什么
He's got a big crush on you.
他非常迷恋你
What are you talking about?
你说什么啊
Bryce Loski does not have a crush on me.
布莱斯·洛斯奇才没有迷恋我
Oh, yeah? In science, I caught him staring at you.
是吗 科学课的时候 我发现他盯着你看
He said it was because there was a bee in your hair.
她说你头发上有只蜜蜂
Is that the lamest cover-up or what?
这理由真是太逊了
Maybe there was a bee.
或许真有蜜蜂呢
The only bee you're attracting is B-R-Y-C-E.
你吸引的是只叫布莱斯的蜜蜂吧
I'm telling you, that boy is lost in love land.
我告诉你 这男孩已经坠入情网了
- Come on. - Where?
-跟我来 -去哪儿
I saw him sneaking off with Garrett. Come on.
我看见他跟伽利特偷偷溜到那边去了 来
Are you freaking mental? Juli Baker. You hate her.
你神经病啊 朱莉·贝克 你讨厌她
That's what's so weird. I don't think I do.
我也奇怪 我好像并不讨厌她了
I can't stop thinking about her.
我就是忍不住老想她
- You got it bad, man. - What do I do?
-你完了 -那我该怎么办
You gotta nip this in the bud.
你得趁早打消这种想法
- These aren't real emotions. - They're not?
-这不是真实的情感 -不是吗
You feel guilty because of the egg thing.
你是因为鸡蛋的事情而感觉愧疚
Yeah, and I insulted her yard.
是啊 我还侮辱了她家的院子
Exactly. The place is a dump anyways.
没错 那地方确实一团糟
Her dad's got a retarded brother
她有个智障的叔叔
and all their money goes to helping him.
家里的钱都花在他身上了
A retard? Well, that ought to tell you something.
智障? 那你就该明白了
- About what? - About Juli.
-明白什么 -朱莉啊
What are you saying?
什么啊
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree, my friend.
所谓上梁不正下梁歪 朋友
- Oh, heh. Yeah. Right. - Yeah.
-哦 对哦 -对吧
I'll talk to you later.
回头再聊吧
Okay.
好的
I'm sorry. I thought...
抱歉 我还以为...
It's okay. It's fine.
没关系 没事的
And it was.
确实无所谓
Because now my confusion was gone.
现在我的困惑已经烟消云散了
I was sure I no longer liked Bryce Loski.
我确定 我已经不再喜欢布莱斯·洛斯奇了
Mom, are you trying to make the Bakers feel totally worthless?
妈 你搞成这样是想让贝克家相形见绌吗
I want it to be nice.
我就是想弄丰盛点
- And why aren't you dressed? - I'm going.
-你怎么还不穿好衣服 -我这就去
I wanted to look good for Juli.
我想让朱莉觉得我很帅
But I didn't want her to think that I wanted to look good for her.
但又不能让她看出我是特意为她而打扮的
It was a fine line.
这两者有着微妙的界限
A very fine line.
非常微妙的界限
Bryce, they're here. Come on down.
布莱斯 他们到了 快下来
Coming!
来了
Come on in.
快进来
- Come in, come in. - There goes the waistline.
-请进 请进 -真漂亮
I'm glad you could make it. Lynetta, Steven, company's here.
很高兴你们能来 琳妮塔 斯蒂文 客人们到了
- Coming! - What is this? Homemade pie?
-来了 -这是什么 自己做的馅饼吗
Yes, it's pecan and blueberry cheesecake.
对 核桃馅饼和蓝莓芝士馅饼
Let's take them to the kitchen.
我们拿到厨房去吧
- Hi, guys. - Hey, looking good.
-大家好 -你好 好漂亮啊
- This is my dad. - Hi, I'm Lynetta.
-这是我爸 -你好 我是琳妮塔
Hi, nice to finally meet you.
你好 很高兴终于见到你了
Nice to meet you too.
我也很高兴见到你
- My boys are telling me that... - Hey, big guy.
-我儿子们一直跟我说... -你好 大个子
Hey, Steven. How are you?
你好 斯蒂文 最近还好吧
We should've done this a long time ago. Come on in.
早就该一起吃个饭了 快进来
This is a cool place.
你们家可真漂亮啊
Yeah, it's all right. Come on, I'll show you my room.
嗯 还凑合吧 来 我带你们去看我的房间
You gotta hear this new song we wrote.
你该听听我们写的新歌
It's so good.
特好听
Hi.
你好
You look nice.
你真漂亮
I heard you and Garrett making fun of my uncle in the library.
我在图书馆听到你和伽利特取笑我叔叔
And I don't wanna speak to you.
我不想和你说话
Not now, not ever.
现在不想 永远不想
- And I say you can. - But what you're proposing
-我认为可以 -不过你的建议
would require a perpetual-motion machine, so it's not possible.
需要一个永动机 所以不太可能
If you had two opposite charged poles with a neutral conductor...
如果有两个相反磁极和一个不带磁的导体...
Perpetual motion?
永动机
Here I was, dying inside,
此刻我的心都要碎了
and they were talking about perpetual motion.
他们却在谈论永动机
And how did Juli know about all that stuff?
朱莉是怎么知道那些玩意的
Come on, everybody, dinner's ready. Lynetta!
快来 同志们 饭好了 琳妮塔
Dinner!
吃饭了
Juli, can I talk to you?
朱莉 能和你说几句话吗
It was wrong, what Garrett said. I know it.
伽利特说的话是错的 我知道
Did you know it was wrong when he said it?
他说的时候你就知道是错的吗
Yeah. I wanted to punch him.
对 我想揍他来的
But we were in the library.
但当时是在图书馆里
So instead you just agreed with him and laughed.
所以你就赞同了他说的话 还和他一起笑
Yeah.
Then that makes you a coward.
那你就是个懦夫
I had to sit across from Juli for an entire dinner.
吃饭时我不得不和朱莉坐对面
My dad was right.
我老爸是对的
We should have barbecued.
本该吃烧烤的
I just want to say how wonderful it is to have you share a meal with us.
你们能和我们一起吃饭真是太棒了
May it be the first of many.
希望以后能经常一起吃
Wrong pipe.
呛到了
We couldn't be happier.
我们太开心了
We are just all so thrilled to be here.
我们能来拜访真的很激动
Juli, you did a really nice job on your yard.
朱莉 你的院子收拾得真不错
Thanks. Chet was a big help.
谢谢 切特帮了不少忙
Yeah, I know.
对 我知道
You gotta tell me your secret.
你得告诉我你的秘诀
I can't get him to do a thing around here.
在家我可指望不上他干一点活
- Steven. - I kid.
-斯蒂文 -开个玩笑
I'm telling you, the neighborhood is really coming to life.
跟你们说 小区现在真的有了生气
I mean, that new house is taking shape.
我是说 新房子已经建的差不多了
Which one?
哪个
You know, the one where they cut down that big ugly tree.
就是那棵被砍掉的难看的大树那里
I wanted to say that a lot of people liked that tree,
我本想说很多人都喜欢那棵树
but I didn't.
可我没说出口
I didn't want to go against my dad.
我不想顶撞我老爸
Some people thought that tree was the jewel of the neighborhood.
有些人觉得那棵树可是小区的宝贝
Yeah, there's no accounting for taste.
对 品味不行没办法
So, Matt, Mark, Mark, Matt...
那么 马特 马克 马克 马特
You guys are gonna be graduating soon, huh?
你们马上就毕业了 是吗
Yeah, thank God.
对 谢天谢地
You don't like high school?
你们不喜欢高中吗
- You kidding? - No.
-开玩笑吧 -不
High school was the best time of my life.
高中是我一生中最美好的时光
- Not for us, no. - Yeah, we've had enough of that scene.
-对我们来说不是的 -对 我们可受够了
So college is probably out of the question, huh?
那就更别提大学了 是吧
No, it's a possibility.
不 大学有可能
They've actually been accepted at several places already.
实际上他们已经被几所大学录取了
Yes, they have.
对 是这样
Really?
是吗
That's good.
不错嘛
But, we're gonna give music a shot first.
不过 我们打算先尝试一下做音乐
- Really? - They are very talented.
-是吗 -他们很有天赋的
Their band is really boss.
他们的乐队真的很棒
They did a bunch of demos and they're really cool.
他们录了一堆样带 非常不错
Thanks, Lyn.
谢谢 琳
When Steven and I first met, he was playing in a band.
我和斯蒂文刚认识时 他也在乐队
You played in a band?
你以前在乐队演奏过吗
He was a wonderful saxophone player.
他是个超棒的萨克斯手
- Cool. You still play? - I...
-酷啊 你还演奏吗 -我...
If you want, you can come jam out with us sometime.
你愿意的话 有空可以来和我们一起演奏
Ah, you...
嗯 你们...
No, I mean...
不 我是说...
That's not me anymore.
我已经不玩那个了
Have you boys ever performed in front of an audience?
你们在观众面前表演过吗
A lot of times.
经常
The more Matt and Mark talked about their musical exploits,
马特和马克越是谈论他们的音乐事业
the quieter my dad got.
我老爸就越沉默
He tried to plaster on a smile now and then,
他时不时想挤出点笑容
but underneath he seemed really sad.
不过他心里好像很伤感
But my parents didn't like him at first.
但是我父母开始还不喜欢他
Republicans fought like crazy against the New Deal.
共和党拼命抵制新政
The rest of the evening was painless enough.
那晚剩下的时间过得还算风平浪静
But through it all, Juli didn't say a word to me.
不过整晚朱莉都没和我说一句话
Never even looked at me.
甚至没看过我一眼
Until she was about to leave.
直到她快走时
I'm sorry I was so angry when we first came in.
对不起我刚来时发这么大脾气
I think everyone had a good time.
我觉得今晚每个人都挺开心
Your mom was really nice to invite us.
很感谢你妈妈邀请我们
See you.
再见
Her apology made things worse.
她的道歉让我感觉更糟
- Wait for me. - I knew I wasn't forgiven.
-等等我 -我知道她并没有原谅我
It was like I wasn't even important enough to hold a grudge against.
她似乎根本不屑于对我怀恨在心
I think they're a delightful family.
我觉得他们一家很讨人喜欢
Those boys were nothing like I expected.
两个男孩和我想象的很不一样
I thought they were very nice young men.
我认为他们是很不错的年轻人
- Hoodlums. - What?
-俩小痞子 -什么
How you think they can afford all that recording gear?
你觉得他们付得起那些录音设备的钱吗
Steven, please. You can't just make an accusation like that.
斯蒂文 拜托 你不能这样乱说人家
Don't be so naive, Patsy.
别那么天真 帕茜
Do you know how expensive it is to record a demo?
你知道录制样带有多贵吗
They're probably stealing hubcaps, for chrissake.
他们说不定在偷轮毂罩卖钱
You are such an asshole.
你真是个混蛋
What is the matter with you?
你发什么疯
Go to hell.
去死吧
Don't you talk to me like that.
别这样跟我说话
Steven, stop!
斯蒂文 站住
Nobody talks to me like that in my own house! - Stop!
在这家里没人能和我这样说话 -站住
I'd seen my father angry before, but this was different.
以前我见过老爸生气 可这次不同
As I lay in bed that night...
那晚我躺在床上
I thought about how my dad always looked down on the Bakers.
思索着我老爸为什么总看不起贝克一家
And how he'd called them trash
他还称他们是垃圾
and made fun of Mr. Baker's paintings.
还取笑贝克先生画的画
And now I realized he was just mad at himself.
现在我知道了 他只是在生自己的气
But why?
可为什么呢
Juli called me a coward.
朱莉叫我懦夫
Was it possible my dad was a coward too?
我老爸会不会也是个懦夫呢
I didn't know.
不知道
What difference did it make?
那又怎样呢
Juli Baker was out of my life.
朱莉·贝克走出了我的生活
Or, more accurately...
或者 更准确地说
I was out of hers.
我走出了她的生活
As I was getting dressed for the Loskis' dinner party
当我为参加洛斯奇家的晚宴换衣服时
I found myself staring at the painting my father had given me
我不由地注视着爸爸送我的那幅画
and became furious all over again.
又一次怒不可遏
Bryce had never been a friend to me, ever.
布莱斯从来都不是我的朋友 从来不是
He hadn't taken my side about the tree;
砍树时 他不站在我这边
he'd thrown away my eggs;
他扔了我的鸡蛋
and he made fun of me at my uncle's expense.
还取笑我叔叔的花费
When my mother called that it was time to go...
当妈妈叫我该走了的时候
Juli, let's go, we're late!
朱莉 我们走吧 迟到了
I went out with every intention of telling her
我非常想冲出去告诉她
that I wasn't going to the Loskis for dinner.
我不去洛斯奇家吃饭
Honey, please hold these.
亲爱的 帮我拿着这些
I need to check my hair really quickly one more time.
我得赶紧再看看我的头发
- Honey, your hair is perfect. - Really?
-亲爱的 你的头发很漂亮 -真的吗
But she looked so happy
但是她看起来那么开心
and she'd gone to so much trouble over the pies
她还花了那么多功夫做馅饼
that I couldn't.
我不能扫她的兴
My gosh. God, what a disaster.
天啊 老天 差一点
Okay. Here, hold one, and you hold this.
好啦 给 端着 你端着这盘
- I don't wanna hold it. - I won't have you hold it.
-我不想端 -我不会让你端的
Let's go, boys.
我们走吧 小伙子们
But that didn't mean I had to be nice to Bryce.
但那并不意味着我得对布莱斯客气
And I don't wanna speak to you.
我不想跟你说话
Not now, not ever.
现在不想 永远不想
It felt good to take charge.
掌握主动权的感觉不错
I felt strong, in control.
我感到强大自信
I told Bryce what I thought
我告诉了布莱斯我的想法
and I was determined not to talk to him for the rest of the evening.
还决定那天晚上不再和他讲话
At dinner it struck me that
晚饭时让我惊讶的是
we were sharing a meal with a group of strangers.
我们在和一群陌生人共同进餐
We'd lived across the street from the Loskis for years
我们住在洛斯奇家对面已经好多年了
but except for Chet, I didn't know these people at all.
但是除了切特 我根本就不认识这些人
Mr. Loski was clean and smooth on the outside...
洛斯奇先生外表温文尔雅
but it seemed like
但貌似也只不过是
there was something rotten buried just beneath the surface.
金玉其外败絮其中
By the end of the evening, all I felt was detached, neutral.
到晚饭结束时 我只感到平静超脱
No fireworks, no leftover anger,
没有激烈言辞 也没觉得余怒未消
no flutters, nothing.
更没有心烦意乱 什么也没有
See you.
再见
I went to bed that night feeling peaceful.
那晚我入睡前觉得很平静
- You okay? - Yeah.
-你还好吧 -还好
I was grateful that I had the family I had.
有这样的家人我很知足
And it felt good to no longer care about Bryce Loski.
不再关注布莱斯·洛斯奇 也让我感觉挺好
The dinner with the Bakers had taken its toll on me.
和贝克一家的晚餐 让我付出了代价
Then the annual school fundraiser arrived
一年一度的校园筹款活动开始了
梅菲德中学年度筹款义拍会 1963年"午餐男孩"名单
and I found myself with a whole new set of problems.
我发现自己被一系列新的问题纠缠住了
9号 布莱斯·洛斯奇
I was a Basketboy.
我成了"午餐男孩"
To fully appreciate the humiliation of being a Basketboy,
要想充分理解作为"午餐男孩"的耻辱
you need to know that the chosen few
你就得知道 被选中的可怜蛋
are auctioned off in front of the student body
要在学校同学面前被拍卖
to the highest-bidding females.
卖给出价最高的女同学
Yes, technically, each of us comes with a lunch in a basket.
对 形式上我们是拎着装午餐的篮子登台
But let's not kid ourselves.
不过还是不要自欺欺人了
This was a beefcake parade.
其实就是出卖男色
There he is, my idol.
他在这里 我的偶像
One word, you're a dead man.
再胡说你就死定了
No, man, I'm serious. Listen, you won't believe this.
不 老兄 说真的 你不会相信的
What?
什么
Two of the hottest chicks are fighting over you.
两个辣妹为你大打出手
- What are you talking about? - Sherry is breaking up with Mitch.
-你在说什么啊 -雪莉和米胖分手了
She and Melanie are having a bidding war over you.
她和美兰妮为你大打竞价之战
I don't care.
没兴趣
Are you nuts? Sherry dumped Mitch because of you.
你是傻瓜吗 雪莉为了你把米胖甩了
You're my idol.
你是我的偶像
As comforting as it was to be Garrett's idol,
即便成了伽利特的偶像
it didn't diminish the horror of being Basketboy number nine.
成为9号"午餐男孩"的恐惧心情也丝毫未减
And my only hope was that
我唯一的希望是
a giant tornado would destroy the school before the big event.
一场巨大的龙卷风在活动举办前光临学校
It was a long shot.
但这很渺茫
Welcome everyone
欢迎大家
to this year's Mayfield Boosters Club Auction.
光临今年的梅菲德中学筹款义拍会
Once again we are pleased to present
让我们再次有请
- 20 of Mayfield's finest young men... - Bryce, Bryce, Bryce.
-梅菲德中学的二十位杰出青年... -布莱斯 布莱斯
- What are you doing here? - Juli's in the third row.
-你到这来做什么 -朱莉在第三排
- So? - So she's got a wad of cash.
-那又怎样 -她手持巨款
- Bullshit. - Bull-true.
-放屁 -是真屁
I saw her counting it by her locker.
我看到她在柜子旁数钱来的
And now
现在
please give a big Mayfield School welcome...
请在场的梅菲德中学师生热烈欢迎
to your 1963 Basketboys.
1963年度的"午餐男孩"们
Juli with cash? What did this mean?
朱莉带着钱 这是什么意思
Was it possible she was gonna bid on me?
会不会是她想拍下我
First up, we have
首先 我们有请
Raymond Hughes.
雷蒙·休斯
Raymond's on the chess team
雷蒙是象棋小组成员
and his hobbies include stamp collecting and the yo-yo.
他爱好集邮和玩溜溜球
Remember, when you bid
记住 竞价成功后
you'll not only be getting the handsome Mr. Hughes.
你得到的不只是英俊的休斯先生
You'll also be enjoying
还可以享用到
a lovely chicken-salad sandwich
美味的鸡肉沙拉三明治
and what looks to be a tasty bean dip, and...
配有美味蘸料 看上去是豆酱 还有...
Excuse me, onion dip.
抱歉 是洋葱酱
And a big slice of cherry pie.
还有一大块樱桃馅饼
Okay, who will start the bidding at $5?
好 起价五美元 有谁愿意出
- Thus began the bidding. - Anybody?
-竞拍就这样开始了 -有人吗
Or in Raymond Hughes' case, the lack of bidding.
或者说 是从雷蒙·休斯的险些流拍开始了
Very good, here we go.
很好 成交
- Five. - Sold.
-五美元 -成交
- Ten dollars. - Sold.
-十美元 -成交
- Fifteen. - Sold.
-十五块 -成交
Come on. Do I hear 10?
快 是不是有出十块的
- Ten. - Ten.
-十块 -十块
- Ten. - Peanut-butter-and-banana sandwich.
-十块 -是花生酱香蕉三明治哟
Fifteen.
十五块
Sold for $15.
十五美元成交
Number eight is Eddie Trulock.
8号是艾迪·楚勒
Eddie is a member of the debate team.
艾迪是辩论队的成员
Now only Eddie Trulock stood between me and the auction block.
艾迪·楚勒之后就要轮到我登台了
I wasn't interested in his hobbies or what was in his basket.
我可没有兴趣听他的爱好和篮子里有什么
Let's start the bidding at $5.
我们从五美元开始
All I could think of was Juli.
我的脑子里只有朱莉
- Anybody? - What if she did bid on me?
-有人出价吗 -万一她真对我出价了怎么办
What if she got in a bidding war
万一她跟雪莉和美兰妮展开竞价大战
with Sherry and Melanie and lost out?
最后输掉了怎么办
No bidders?
没人出价吗
I was contemplating the horrors of this scenario when...
我正在沉思这个恐怖情景 突然听到...
Eight dollars.
八美元
There you go. Eight dollars,
有人出价了 八美元
that's more like it. Do I hear 10?
这个价还差不多 有没有出十美元的
Juli Baker was bidding on Eddie Trulock?
朱莉·贝克为艾迪·楚勒出价?
- Okay, 8 going once. - How could she bid on Eddie?
-好 八美元一次 -她怎么会为艾迪出价
- Eight going twice. - How could she bid on anyone?
-八美元两次 -她怎么会出价竞拍别人呢
Sold to Juli Baker.
卖给朱莉·贝克啦
Next is Basketboy number nine, Bryce Loski.
下一个是9号"午餐男孩" 布莱斯·洛斯奇
I knew I was supposed to step forward, but I couldn't move.
我知道该走上前去 可是我动不了
Step up, Bryce, don't be shy.
前面来 布莱斯 不要害羞
Better late than never.
姗姗来迟总比没来好
Bryce likes to play baseball.
布莱斯喜欢打棒球
- Five dollars. - Wait until l...
-五美元 -先等我...
- Ten.
-十美元
Well, it appears the bidding is underway.
好吧 貌似竞价已经开始了
- Fifteen. - Twenty.
-十五美元 -二十
- Twenty-five. - Thirty.
-二十五 -三十
- Thirty-five. - Forty.
-三十五 -四十
- Fifty. - Oh, my...
-五十 -天哪
Fifty dollars.
五十美元
Fifty going once.
五十美元一次
Fifty going twice.
五十美元两次
Sold to Miss Sherry Stalls for $50.
五十美元卖给雪莉·斯图小姐了
An all-time record.
打破义拍会记录了
The boosters will be very grateful for such a generous donation.
筹款会将会非常感谢如此慷慨的捐助
It's strange.
真奇怪
Here I was having lunch with the hottest girl in school
我在这里和全校最火辣的女孩共进午餐
and I was miserable.
我却觉得很悲惨
We're going up to the lake. My dad has a cabin there.
我们打算去湖边 我爸爸在那有个小木屋
And you get the most outrageous tan.
在那儿能把皮肤晒得黝黑
Because less than 20 feet away from me was Juli.
因为朱莉就坐在离我不到二十英尺的地方
My Juli with Eddie Trulock.
我的朱莉和艾迪·楚勒在一起
She's laughing.
她笑着
What was she laughing about?
她在笑什么
How could she sit there and laugh
她怎么能坐在那开怀大笑
and look so beautiful?
而且看起来这么漂亮呢
Bryce, are you all right?
布莱斯 你还好吗
What?
什么
What are you staring at?
你看什么呢
Nothing.
没什么
Lunch is really delicious, Bryce.
午餐真的很好吃 布莱斯
Bryce, did you hear me?
布莱斯 你听见我说话了吗
This is a really delicious lunch.
我说午餐真的很好吃
Can we not talk about tans or food?
咱们别说什么晒黑和吃的了 好吗
Well, what do you wanna talk about?
好啊 你想谈点什么
I don't know, perpetual motion?
我也不知道 谈谈永动机怎样
Do you know anything about that?
你知道这个吗
Perpetual what?
永什么
I don't know what came over me.
我不知道我当时怎么了
It was like I was possessed or something.
我好像是被附身了一样
- Juli, I gotta talk to you. - What?
-朱莉 我得和你谈谈 -什么
What's going on, Bryce?
布莱斯 你怎么了
What are you doing?
你干什么啊
Bryce, stop it.
布莱斯 别这样
Bryce, you didn't even make it to first base.
布莱斯 你连一垒都没上啊
I'll kiss you. Ha, ha.
我来亲你吧 哈哈
Juli! Juli!
朱莉 朱莉
Juli, wait. Can we talk?
朱莉 等等 我们能谈谈吗
Juli!
朱莉
- What's the matter with you? - Leave me alone, Garrett.
-你是怎么了 -别管我 伽利特
You get a date with the finest girl on campus
你本来在和校花约会
and you blow it for Juli.
但是你却为了朱莉给搞砸了
- You wouldn't understand! - I completely don't understand!
-你是不会懂的 -我确实一点都不懂
We're talking about Juli Baker here.
我们说的是朱莉·贝克啊
Nightmare neighbor, know-it-all nuisance. The coop-poop babe.
噩梦邻居 无所不知的讨厌鬼 鸡屎宝贝
Shut up!
你给我闭嘴
Hey, have you flipped? What's the matter with you?
你是不是对她动心了 你怎么了
You know what, if you're gonna be like this,
你要是再这样的话
I don't need the association.
咱们就别做朋友了
Well, good, because neither do I.
好啊 我不稀罕
Yeah, neither do I!
是啊 我也不稀罕
As I walked home with the dirty dishes clanking inside my picnic basket,
当我拎着一篮叮当作响的脏盘子走回家时
all I could think of was Juli.
我满脑子都是朱莉
And I realized Garrett was right about one thing:
我意识到伽利特至少有一件事说对了
I had flipped. Completely.
我确实怦然心动了 彻彻底底的
Hello?
你好
Oh, heh. Hi, Mrs. Baker. Is Juli there?
您好 贝克太太 朱莉在家吗
Oh. I'm sorry, Bryce. Juli doesn't wanna talk.
不好意思 布莱斯 朱莉不想说话
Please, Mrs. Baker. I gotta see her.
求您了 贝克太太 我得见她
I'm sorry, Bryce.
我也没办法 布莱斯
But I'm afraid she's locked herself in her room.
她把自己锁在屋子里了
I tried to go to bed early that night...
那晚 我试着早点睡
but I couldn't sleep.
但就是无法入眠
I watched her house from my window for hours.
我在窗前坐了几个小时 呆望着她家的房子
I had to find a way to show her how I felt.
我必须找机会告诉她我的感受
Monday morning, as I made my way into school...
周一早晨 当我走进校门时
I was deciding which of the Everly Brothers I'd rather marry...
我正琢磨着我想嫁给艾佛利兄弟[摇滚组合]中的哪个
when Dana Tressler forced Bryce back into my brain.
这时丹娜·崔斯勒又让我想起了布莱斯
Juli. The list is out.
朱莉 名单公布了
There he is, number nine, your main dish.
他榜上有名 9号 你的主菜
Bryce Loski's not my main dish.
布莱斯·洛斯奇不是我的主菜
Oh, you're sticking to your diet.
哦 你在减肥吗
It's not a diet, Dana.
这不是减肥 丹娜
- I'm over him, okay? - I'm glad to hear it.
-我已经不喜欢他了 -很高兴听你这么说
Because rumor has it Sherry's already staking her claim on him.
因为大家都说雪莉已经志在必得了
Sherry? Sherry Stalls?
雪莉 雪莉·斯图吗
Oh, Liz. Macy. The list is up.
丽兹 梅茜 名单出来了
That afternoon,
那天下午
I found myself obsessing about the Basketboy auction.
我发现自己一直在想午餐男孩拍卖会的事
I could feel myself backsliding about Bryce.
我对布莱斯的感觉又不争气地死灰复燃了
But why should I care if Sherry liked him?
但雪莉喜欢他关我什么事
I shouldn't even be thinking about him.
我都不应该想起他
I had to rise above this.
我得赶快摆脱出来
Bryce Loski was no longer in my life.
我得忘了布莱斯·洛斯奇
On the morning of the auction, I was on edge.
在那个拍卖会的早晨 我左右为难了
I found myself, without even knowing how it happened,
我发现自己不知不觉中
staring at my egg money.
总盯着卖鸡蛋的存钱盒看
I needed a strategy.
我需要制定一个计划
It was simple.
很简单
If I left my money at home, I'd leave temptation with it.
如果不带钱的话 我就不会胡思乱想了
My strategy suffered a setback when I ran into Mrs. Steuby.
但当我碰到斯杜比太太时 计划受挫了
Julianna.
朱莉安娜
Julianna.
朱莉安娜
Hello, dear.
你好 亲爱的
I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to get this to you...
实在抱歉 我拖了这么长时间
but I keep missing you in the morning.
我今天一早上都没找到你
Mrs. Steuby, I don't want that. You don't have to...
斯杜比太太 我不想要这钱 算了吧
No, don't be ridiculous. Of course I'm gonna pay you.
不 别傻了 我怎么能白吃你的鸡蛋呢
- I'm going to pay you. - I don't want that. I don't want it.
-我得付你钱 -我不想要 我不要
Yeah, I want you to go out and buy yourself something festive.
拿去给自己买点好看的衣服
Pedal pushers. Ha, ha.
买条七分裤怎样
- Mrs. Steuby. - Bye, dear.
-斯杜比太太 -再见 亲爱的
Mrs. Steuby, I don't want pedal pushers.
斯杜比太太 我不想要七分裤
No, no. You'll look great.
不 你穿着会很好看的
It's okay.
那好吧
It's okay. No big deal. Just pretend like I don't have it.
没事 没什么大不了的 就当没有
I hear you're planning to bid on Bryce.
听说你要竞拍布莱斯
What? Who told you that? No, I'm not.
什么啊 谁告诉你的 不是的
Someone saw you with a wad of cash this morning.
有人看到你今早拿着一沓钱
- How much do you have? - It's none of your business.
-你带了多少钱 -不关你的事
And I'm not bidding, okay? I don't even like him anymore.
我今天不竞拍 我也已经不喜欢他了
Oh, that'll be the day.
太阳真是从西边出来了
It's true. Go ahead, waste your money on him.
真的 去吧 在他身上浪费你的钱去吧
I don't care.
我不在乎
And now, will you all give a big Mayfield School welcome...
现在 请在场的梅菲德中学师生热烈欢迎
to your 1963 Basketboys.
1963年度的"午餐男孩"们
I could say I didn't care all I wanted...
我嘴上说什么都不在乎了
but seeing Bryce walk out in his jacket and tie...
可当看到布莱斯西装笔挺地走上台
holding that picnic basket...
手持野餐篮时
set my head spinning again.
我的头脑又不清醒了
Fifteen going once.
十五美元第一次
The auction seemed to fly by.
拍卖会似乎进行得飞快
Fifteen going twice.
十五美元第二次
Sold to Macy Taylor for $15.
梅茜·泰勒十五美元成功竞标
Before I knew it, Eddie Trulock was called.
我还没回过神来 已经到艾迪·楚勒了
Number eight is Eddie Trulock.
8号是艾迪·楚勒
Which meant Bryce was next.
也就是说下一个就是布莱斯了
Eddie is a member of the debate team.
艾迪是辩论队的成员
And his hobbies include fishing...
他的业余爱好有钓鱼
and model-airplane building.
还有制作飞机模型
Who will give me $5?
有谁愿意出五美元
- Why isn't anyone bidding? He's so nice. - Exactly.
-怎么没人竞标 他挺不错啊 -是啊
Nobody?
没人吗
Eight dollars.
八美元
Sold to Juli Baker for $8.
八美元卖给朱莉·贝克啦
How did this happen?
怎么会这样呢
Was it because I felt bad for Eddie?
是因为我同情艾迪吗
Or was it because I couldn't trust myself with Bryce?
还是怕等下布莱斯登台时我管不住自己呢
As I made my way to the multi-purpose room...
在去往多功能厅的路上
I contemplated the startling turn of events.
我回想着事情出人意料的变化
Here I was, about to have lunch with Eddie Trulock...
我就要和艾迪·楚勒共进午餐了
while the boy I mooned over for half my life...
而那个曾让我朝思暮想的男孩
was going to share a meal with my mortal enemy.
竟然要和我的宿敌一起用餐
I wanna thank you for bidding on me.
谢谢你出价拍我
It was touch-and-go there for a while.
那时候还真是惊险啊
No, I wanted to. This will be fun.
不 是我想拍的 挺有意思的
- I hear you like building model airplanes. - Yeah.
-听说你喜欢做飞机模型 -是的
My father and I just finished a Russian MiG-19.
我和我爸刚组装好一架米格19战斗机
It was made in 1955.
是1955年生产的
MiG's first supersonic fighter.
米格的第一款超音速战斗机
A little tricky because the cockpit was recessed...
有点不好做 因为驾驶舱是凹进去的...
I tried to give Eddie my full attention.
与艾迪交谈时我努力想让注意力集中
But it was difficult,
但这太困难了
because Bryce was right behind him.
因为布莱斯就在他后面
Eddie was saying something about intake valves when...
艾迪正说着进气阀什么的
out of nowhere, bryce stood up and marched straight towards me.
突然 布莱斯起身径直向我走来
Hey, Juli, I gotta talk to you.
朱莉 我得和你谈谈
What are you doing?
你干什么啊
He was going to kiss me. To kiss me.
他想要吻我 我的天啊
All my life I've been waiting for that kiss.
我长这么大就等着他的吻呢
But not like this. Not this way.
但不是这样的吻 不是以这种方式
I pedaled home so hard, I thought my lungs would burst.
我骑得飞快 到家时我觉得肺都要冒烟了
Julianna?
朱莉安娜
Julianna.
朱莉安娜
Honey?
亲爱的
What's wrong?
怎么了
I can't.
我不能
Sweetheart...
宝贝
you can tell me.
你可以跟我说说
Bryce tried to kiss me.
布莱斯想亲我来着
He did?
是吗
In school.
在学校
In front of everybody.
在很多人面前
Mom, please don't get it.
妈妈 别去开门
It's probably him.
可能是他
Sweetheart...
宝贝
maybe you should talk to him.
也许你应该跟他谈谈
I can't.
我不能
I can't.
我不能
Bryce wouldn't leave me alone.
布莱斯一点也不让我清净
He kept calling on the phone.
他一直不停地给我打电话
And knocking on the door.
不断地敲门
He even snuck around the house and tapped on my window.
他甚至偷偷溜进院子 敲我的窗户
Juli! Please, I gotta see you!
朱莉 求求你 我得见你
Come on out, just for a minute!
出来吧 就几分钟
Why didn't he understand that I just wanted to be left alone?
他怎么就不明白 我就想一个人待会
Please!
求求你了
After two days, Bryce stopped.
两天之后 布莱斯不再烦我了
And I thought it was finally over.
我想这终于结束了
Then, one afternoon, I was coming into the front room to read...
直到有一天下午 我正要去客厅读书
when I heard a noise in the yard.
这时听到院子里有动静
Hey, what's he doing?
他干什么呢
Juli, calm down. I gave him permission.
朱莉 冷静点 我允许他了
Permission? Permission for what? He's digging a hole.
允许 允许什么了 他正在挖坑呢
I told him he could.
我跟他说可以
But why?
可是为什么
I told him he could.
我跟他说可以
It was torture seeing him dig up my grass.
看他在我的草地上乱挖我很难受
How could my father let him do this?
爸爸怎么能让他这么做呢
Bryce knew I was there too.
布莱斯知道我在家里
He's gone.
他走了
A tree?
一棵树
He's planting a tree?
他在种树吗
Is it a?
那是不是...
I didn't really need to ask.
我都不用问
I could tell from the shape of the leaves...
从树叶的形状
and the texture of the trunk.
和树干的纹理我就能知道
It was a sycamore tree.
那是一棵梧桐树
When she walked out of the door,
当她走出那扇门时
I thought back to the first time I saw her.
我想起了第一次见到她的时候
How could anybody, ever, have wanted to run away from Juli Baker?
怎么会有人想要躲避朱莉·贝克呢
He looked at me with those eyes.
他用那双眼睛看着我
Those once again dazzling eyes.
那双重又闪亮迷人的双眼
And I knew that Bryce Loski
我知道布莱斯·洛斯奇
was still walking around with my first kiss.
还在等待着我的初吻
But he wouldn't be for long.
但是他不会等太久了
As we stood there, I realized that all these years...
我们站在那里 我意识到这些年来
we never really talked.
我们从没真正交谈过
Do you need some help?
需要帮忙吗
Yeah.
是的
But that day, we started.
但那一天 我们开始了
And I knew we'd be talking for a long time.
而且我知道我们要聊很久
I blessed a day I found you
感谢上天让我遇到你
I want to stay around you
我想和你一起厮守
Now and forever
不管天荒地老
Let it be me
让我爱着你
Don't take this heaven from one.
不要让我的梦想破灭
If you must cling to someone
如果你真的需要温暖怀抱
Now and forever
不管天荒地老
Let it be me
让我爱着你
Each time we meet love
当生命中出现爱
I find complete love
那一定是完整的爱
Without your sweet love
没有你的甜美笑容
oh, what would life be
我的生活将暗无天日
So never leave me lonely
请不要离开我
Say that you love me only
说你只爱我一人
And that you'll always
并且你会永远
Let it be me
让我爱着你
Say you'll always
说你会永远
Let it be me
让我爱着你