"vigorously assaulted...
频频触及...
"...propriety were..."
...底线...
"The boundaries of propriety were vigorously assaulted.
频频触及适度的底线
"The boundaries of propriety were vigorously assaulted, as was only right,
频频触及适度的底线 仿佛非此不可
"but not quite breached, as was also right.
却又未完全地突破 似乎也无可指摘
"she was not pleased."
她并不满意
- What is it? - Jane.
-怎么回事 -是简在弹琴
That girl needs a husband.
得给那孩子找个婆家
And who's good enough? Nobody.
但有谁配得上她吗 没有
I blame you for that.
这都要怪你
Being too much the model of perfection.
都是因为我太过完美了
I've shared your bed for 32 years
我和你共榻32年了
and perfection is something I have not encountered.
从没有发现你有什么完美的地方
No. Stop it. Mr Austen, it's Sunday! Stop, no, it's...
不 停下 奥斯汀 今天是礼拜天 住手 不...
The utmost of a woman's character is expressed in the duties of daughter,
女性的美好在于完成作为女儿 姐妹
sister and, eventually, wife and mother.
然后是妻子以及母亲的职责
It is secured by soft attraction, virtuous love and quiet in the early morning.
这些职责包括有温柔关爱 真挚情感以及在大清早保持安静
If a woman happens to have a particular superiority,
如果一位女子恰巧有某一方面的天赋
for example, a profound mind, it is best kept a profound secret.
比如说 她有聪慧的头脑 那么她最好把她的聪慧掩藏起来
Humour is liked more, but wit? No.
人们喜欢幽默的人 但对于聪慧的人 答案是不
It is the most treacherous talent of them all.
这是最靠不住的才能
Now, George, old fellow, you know you have to stay.
乔治 我的老朋友 你知道自己必须留下
- Jenny! - George, George.
-洁妮 -乔治 乔治
Hurry along, Jane! We'll be late!
快点来 简 我们要迟到了
When Her Ladyship calls, we must obey.
你说什么 我们都必须服从
Lady Gresham, may I introduce my niece Comtesse De Feuillide
格莱谢姆夫人 请允许我介绍我的侄女 福伊德伯爵夫人
and Mr Fowle, Cassandra's fiance.
法沃 卡珊德拉的未婚夫
- Comtesse? Then you presume to be French? - By marriage.
-伯爵夫人 那么说你是法国人 -我丈夫是法国人
Monsieur le Comte is not here to pay his respects?
你先生不来这里给我道安吗
A prior engagement, ma'am,
夫人 他去赴另外一个约会了
Monsieur le Comte was obliged to pay his respects to Madame le Guillotine.
伯爵先生已经驾鹤西去了
I see your nephew is with us again.
您的侄子也来了
Wisley is indispensable to my happiness.
卫斯理是我快乐的源泉
Well, do sit down.
好了 都请坐吧
Mr Fowle and Cassandra are only recently engaged.
法沃和卡珊德拉最近刚刚订婚
When shall you marry?
你们打算什么时候结婚
- Not for some time, Your Ladyship. - Why not?
-最近还不会 夫人 -为什么
I'm also engaged to go to the West Indies
作为克莱文爵士远征军随军牧师
with Lord Craven's expedition against the French, as chaplain.
我将要去西印度群岛与法国人作战
- What has Craven offered you? - I've hopes of a parish on my return.
-克莱文答应给你什么报酬 -我回来之后可以有自己的教区
How much is it worth?
那个教区值多少
Enough to marry on, in a modest way.
至少足够结婚用的了
Mr Wisley, did you know the Basingstoke assemblies resume?
卫斯理先生 你知道吗 贝辛斯托克又要开舞会了
Very soon, I believe.
我想很快就可以开始了
- Jane does enjoy a ball. - Wisley can't abide them.
-简非常喜欢舞会呀 -卫斯理无法忍受这种场合
a ball is an indispensable blessing to the juvenile part of the neighbourhood.
舞会对左近的年轻人来说是不可缺少的开心事
Everything agreeable in the way of talking and sitting down together
大家高兴地围坐在一起闲聊
all managed with the utmost decorum.
气氛融洽 却又不失礼数
An amiable man could not object.
任何一个好青年都不会拒绝的
Then I find I'm converted.
那么我想我改变主意了
Displayed like a brood mare.
真是太无理了
- Mr Wisley is a highly eligible young gentleman. - Oh, Mother!
-卫斯理是最适合的年轻人了 -哦 妈妈
- You know our situation, Jane. - Oh!
-简 你了解我们的处境 -哦
And he is Lady Gresham's favourite nephew and heir.
而且他还是 格莱谢姆女士钟爱的侄子兼继承人
One day, he shall inherit this.
有一天 他会继承这里的一切
Excellent prospects!
多美的风景啊
- His small fortune will not buy me. - What will buy you, cousin?
-他那点点财富得不了我 -那什么可以得到你 简
More wary in the world, Mr Lefroy.
勒弗罗伊 要变得更机警些
You can pay me for that later.
晚些要给我接吻的钱
- Huzzah! Huzzah! - Come on, Mr Lefroy.
-哈 哈 -勒弗罗伊 上
Come on, man, hit him!
上啊 打他
- Glass of wine with you, sir? - Madam.
-要给你酒吗 -女士
- Displaying to advantage, I see, Lefroy. - Like the sword, Austen.
-我说你还真是爱献啊 勒弗罗伊 -就像剑一样 奥斯汀
How long before you have to get back to the sticks?
你什么时候回去
Doghouse, debts, but one must cut some sort of a figure even in the militia.
麻烦重重 债务 即使是预备役 也总得比别人强些
Especially when condemned to a parsonage, my friend.
尤其是被发配到一个小教区的时候
Still, who is this sour-faced little virgin?
看看那个一脸酸味的女人是谁
Your pardon, ma'am.
打扰了 女士
Mr Tom Lefroy, may I present Mr John Warren?
汤姆·勒弗罗伊 容我介绍这位是约翰·沃伦先生
Joining me in Hampshire, my father is preparing us both for holy orders.
他和我会一起去汉普郡 我父亲为我们两都准备了教职
I understand you've visited Hampshire, Mr Lefroy.
我想你去过汉普郡 勒弗罗伊先生
- Long visit, was it? - Very long, Mr Warren. Almost three hours.
-待了很久吗 -很久 沃伦先生 差不多3个小时了
Mr Austen, you're devilishly handsome. A kiss, a kiss.
奥斯汀 你真是太英俊了 我要一个吻 只要一个吻
So, Tom, where should we go? Vauxhall Gardens?
汤姆 我们去哪里 沃克斯花园吗
Lefroy, there's a Tahitian Love Fest on at White's.
勒弗罗伊 怀特家正在上演一场 塔西提爱的盛典
- Crockford's? - Crockford's? Done that.
-克劳福酒店 -克劳福酒店 也去过了
Or did it do me?
还是就我一个人去过
Wh-wh-wh-what is a Tahitian Love Fest?
什-什-什么是塔西提爱的盛典
I humbly beg your pardon, sir.
先生 请您再说一遍
Theft of one pig is a crime, heinous to be sure, but two pigs...
偷一头猪是犯罪 但是偷两头猪...
Two pigs is a violent assault on the very sanctity of private property itself.
偷两头猪更是对神圣的私人财产的侵犯
You and your kind are a canker on the body social.
你和你的同伙是社会的毒瘤
And cankers are cut out.
而社会的毒瘤是必须剔除的
Transportation for life. Next.
终身流放 下一个
- Why are you here in London, sir? - To learn the law.
-先生 你来伦敦做什么 -来学习法律
- Which has no other end but what? - The preservation of the rights of property.
-学习法律的目的是什么 -保护财产的不可侵犯
- Against? - The mob.
-从谁的手里 -暴民
Therefore, order is kept because we have...
那么 之所以能秩序井然 是因为我们有...
- A standing army? - Good manners, sir, and prudence.
-常备军 -注意举止 还要懂得谨慎
- Do you know that word? Prudence? - Yes.
-你知道这个词谨慎吗 -是的
I was born rich, certainly, but I remain rich by virtue of exceptional conduct.
我出生富贵 但是能一直保持到现在 是因为我的高尚品行
I have shown restraint.
我很克制自己
Your mother, my sister, became poor because she did not...
我的妹妹 也就是你的母亲却很贫穷 因为她没有...
She married my father because she loved him.
她和我父亲结婚 因为她爱我父亲
Yes, and that's why you have so many brothers and sisters back there in...
是的 所以你有那么多的兄弟姐妹住在...
- Limerick. - Mmm.
-利默尼里克 -嗯
If you hope, I say hope...
如果你想要 我是说想要...
If you aspire to inherit my property,
如果你想要继承我的财产
you must prove yourself more worthy.
那么你必须证明你的价值
But what do we find? We find dissipation
可你呢 挥霍无度
wild enough to glut the imaginings of a Hottentot braggadocio.
荒淫骄逸恶
Wild companions, gambling,
损友 赌博
running around St James's like a neck-or-nothing young blood of the fancy.
像疯子一样围着圣詹姆斯教堂乱窜
- What kind of lawyer will that make? - Typical.
-这样的人会成为怎样的律师 -最常见的律师
Well, you're going to need that because I'm teaching you a lesson.
好吧 你会需要这种幽默的 因为我要给你上一堂课
I'm sending you to stay with your other relations, the Lefroys.
我会把你送到你的亲戚家去
- Uncle, they live in the country. - Deep in the country.
-可是舅舅 他们住在乡下 -很偏僻的乡下
I think you two quite the prettiest sisters in England.
我觉得你们是英格兰最美丽的姐妹了
Mr Fowle will be enchanted.
法沃一定会着迷的
San Domingo is half a world away.
圣多明戈现在在地球的另一面
Impossible. Look at the memory you're giving him tonight.
不可能 看看你 想象今晚你会给他留下多么美好的回忆
His heart will stop at the very sight of you or he doesn't deserve to live.
他一定会为你的魅力窒息的 否则他就不配活在这世上
And, yes, I'm aware of the contradiction embodied in that sentence.
呵呵 我知道我刚刚说了句很奇怪的话
You look wonderful.
你看上去美极了
Well, hello, John. It's very good to see you.
你好 约翰 很高兴见到你
- Nice to see you. - Oh, John!
-很高兴见到你 -哦 约翰
Leave your brother alone.
不要欺负你弟弟
Jane! Jane? Have you heard? My father's nephew is staying with us.
简 简 你听说了吗 我父亲的侄子要和我们一起住了
- He is a... - A brilliant young lawyer.
-他是... -年轻英俊的律师
- Lucy, please. - With a reputation.
-露茜 保持端庄 -他很有名
Hat off, George. Hat off, Father's ready.
乔治 把帽子摘了 摘了 神父已经准备好了
- Thank you, John. - Please.
-约翰 谢谢 -请坐
The family is always moving in great ways and small.
这一家子一直都有大大小小的事情
Firstly, the small. Henry is back from Oxford with his degree,
先说小事 亨利从牛津大学回来了 并且获得了学位
- thank goodness. - Well done.
-感谢上帝 -做得好
And our friend John, my new student. Then the great.
我们的朋友约翰 成了我的新弟子 接下来说说大事
Cassandra, who is forsaking us for her brother Edward and his family at the coast
卡珊德拉将要抛弃我们 跟她的哥哥爱德华一家去海边
whilst Robert voyages to the West Indies with Lord Craven's expedition.
而罗伯特要随克莱文爵士的远征军 去西印度群岛
And then, together,
之后 他们两人重聚在一起
they can embark on that most great and most serious journey of life.
踏上人生中最重要 最严肃的旅途
Miss Austen, I understand you will be favouring us with a reading?
奥斯汀小姐 据说你要为我们朗读一篇文章
- Do, Jane. - Do.
-来吧 简 -表演给我们看吧
Oh, please, Miss Jane.
哦 求你了 简
Oh, yes, Jane, do.
哦 求你了 简 为我们朗读一篇吧
"Advice from a young lady on the engagement of her beloved sister Cassandra
一个年轻女子的建议 贺最爱的姐姐卡珊德拉
"His addresses were offered in a manner violent enough to be flattering."
他的求爱炽热而近乎谄媚
"The boundaries of propriety were vigorously assaulted, as was only right,"
频频触及适度的底线 仿佛非此不可
"but not quite breached, as was also right.
却又未完全地突破 似乎也无可指摘
"Nevertheless, she was..."
然而 她...
And may I introduce my young nephew Mr Thomas Lefroy?
容我介绍我的侄子 汤玛斯·勒弗罗伊
And he's more than welcome. Join us, sir, join us.
我们非常欢迎你 坐过来吧 先生
Green velvet coat. Vastly fashionable.
绿色天鹅绒外套 这可是很流行的
You'll find this vastly amusing.
你会觉得很有趣的
"His addresses were...
他的求爱炽热而近乎...
"The boundaries of propriety were vigorously assaulted,
频频触及适度的底线 仿佛非此不可
"as was only right, but not quite breached, as was also right."
却又未完全地突破 似乎也无可指摘
"Nevertheless, she was not pleased."
然而 她并不满足
"Her taste was refined, her sentiments noble,
她拥有高雅的品位 高尚的情操
her person lovely, her figure elegant."
可爱的性格还有曼妙的身躯
Good God, there's writing on both sides of those pages.
天啊 居然还有反面
"It was only yesterday I repelled Lord Graham and his six million,
我昨天终于拒绝了 格拉汉姆爵士和他的600万英镑
"which would have lasted me almost a twelvemonth,
那些钱本来够我花上一年的
"with economies... "
因为现在的经济情况...
"... a treasure greater than all the jewels in India,
...比印度的所有珠宝加起来还要宝贵
an adoring heart."
那就是一颗爱慕的心
"And pray, madam, what am I to expect in return? "
我的姐姐 我可以期望得到什么回报吗
"Expect? Well, you may expect to have me pleased from time to time."
得到什么 你可以期望时不时地我都开心
"And a sweet,
你那满怀少女爱慕之情的心啊 多么得甜美
gentle, pleading, innocent,
温柔 欢愉 纯洁
"delicate, sympathetic, loyal, untutored, adoring female heart."
敏感 善良 诚实还有纯真
- Bravo, Jane. - Well done, Jane.
-太棒了 简 -了不起 简
She speaks so well.
她读得这真好
Well, excessively charming, I thought.
我觉得实在是太迷人了
Well, accomplished enough, perhaps,
嗯 也许是还行
but a metropolitan mind may be less susceptible to extended, juvenile self-regard.
但对一个都市人来说 对如此幼稚的自我关注并没有多大兴趣
Well, thank you. We're both very proud.
谢谢 我们都为你感到骄傲
...absent love to see
...没有看到爱情
Dear you, oh, to think
亲爱的你 哦
Careful there, old fellow.
老伙计 小心
Fine piece, Mr Lefroy.
好东西 勒弗罗伊先生
Handled a gun before, have you, Tom?
汤姆 你以前用过枪是吗
Why not try a walk?
为什么不出去走走
There's some very fine country round about. Very fine.
周围有些很不错的地方
Miss! Miss, I...
小姐 小姐 我...
- Miss... - Austen.
-小姐... -奥斯汀
Yes, I know, but I am alone.
我知道 但是我现在一个人
- Except for me. - Exactly.
-还有我 -完全正确
What rules of conduct apply in this rural situation?
在乡下 这种情况下有什么规矩吗
We have been introduced, have we not?
我们已经认识对方了 不是吗
What value is there in an introduction when you cannot even remember my name?
如果您都不记得我的名字 那介绍还有什么意义
Indeed, can barely stay awake in my presence.
您在我朗读是几乎坐着睡着了
These scruples must seem very provincial to a gentleman with such elevated airs,
或许如此的谨小慎微 对于一位高贵的绅士来说非常土气
but I do not devise these rules. I am merely obliged to obey them.
但是这些规则不是我制定的 我只是有义务遵守罢了
I have been told there is much to see upon a walk
有人告诉我出来走走可以看到很多
but all I've detected so far
但是到现在为止我看到的只有头顶上
is a general tendency to green above and brown below.
葱郁的大树还有脚下的黄土
Yes, well, others have detected more. It is celebrated.
好吧 别人能看到很多 这片树林很有名
- There's even a book about Selborne Wood. - Oh.
-有一本描写塞尔伯恩森林的书 -哦
Being poor, insipid things, read by mere women, even, God forbid, written by mere women?
出自女子手笔或是为女子所读 就变得低下无趣了吗
I see, we're talking of your reading.
我明白了 您说的是您文章
As if the writing of women did not display the greatest powers of mind,
难道女子的作品 就无法表现人类的伟大智慧
knowledge of human nature, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour
就一定缺乏对人性的了解 缺乏鲜活的隽语和幽默
and the best-chosen language imaginable?
也无法写出最美丽的语言吗
- Was I deficient in rapture? - In consciousness.
-我看上去那么缺乏兴趣吗 -您缺乏思想
It was accomplished.
还算不错
- And you're sure I've not offended you? - Not at all.
-您确定我没有冒犯到你吗 -一点儿都没有
My lords, ladies and gentlemen, the Grand Vizier's Flight.
大人们 女士们 先生们 《大臣的远行》(舞曲)
- May I have the honour? - How kind, cousin.
-我能有幸邀请您跳一支舞吗 -非常荣幸
- Miss Austen. - Mr Wisley.
-奥斯汀小姐 -卫斯理先生
May I have the pleasure of this next dance?
我可以邀请您跳支舞吗
- Oh, no, we're so late. - Take care.
-哦 不 我们迟到了 -小心
Oh, thank you, Tom.
谢谢 汤姆
I practised, but it won't stick.
我练了好多次 但总是跟不上节奏
What a lovely pair they make.
他们真是登对
- What do you make of Mr Lefroy? - We're honoured by his presence.
-你觉得勒弗罗伊先生怎么样 -他的出席是我们无上的荣幸
He does, with his preening, prancing,
当然 你看他油头粉面 昂首阔步的样子
Irish-cum-Bond-Street airs.
混和着爱尔兰和伦敦邦德街的装腔作势
Well, I call it very high indeed, refusing to dance when there are so few gentleman.
我已经口下留情了 就那么几个男士 他居然还拒绝邀舞
- Henry, are all your friends so disagreeable? - Jane.
-亨利 你的朋友都那么讨厌吗 -简
Where exactly in Ireland does he come from, anyway?
他到底是从爱尔兰的那里来的
Limerick, Miss Austen.
我来自利默尼里克 奥斯汀小姐
I would regard it as a mark of extreme favour
如果您愿意与我共舞下一支曲子
if you would stoop to honour me with this next dance.
我会感到无上光荣
Being the first to dance with me, madam, I feel it only fair to inform you
由于您是我的第一位舞伴 女士 我觉得有必要告诉您
that you carry the standard for Hampshire hospitality.
您的举止将是我评价 汉普郡人是否热情友好的标准
Ah, then your country reputation depends on my report.
您在本地的名声也将取决于我对您的评价
This, by the way, is called a country dance, after the French, contredanse.
顺便提一下 这叫做乡村舞 是从法语借用的词
Not because it is exhibited at an uncouth rural assembly
并不是因为一帮没文化的乡下人 聚在一起跳舞
with glutinous pies,
吃着粘粘的馅饼
execrable Madeira
喝着低劣的葡萄酒 所以叫乡村舞
and truly anarchic dancing.
而是真正自由自在的舞蹈
You judge the company severely, madam.
女士 您对我成见颇深
- I was describing what you'd be thinking. - Allow me to think for myself.
-我正在描述您所想的 -请允许我自己来想
Gives me leave to do the same, sir, and come to a different conclusion.
先生 请允许我这么做 这样我们会得到不同的结论
- Will you give so much to a woman? - It must depend on the woman
-您会对女子有很高的评价吗 -要看是什么样的女子
and what she thinks of me.
还有她怎么看我
But you are above being pleased.
但是您不仅仅需要被取悦而已
And I think that you, miss, what was it?
我觉得您 呃 怎么称呼
- Austen. Mr? - Lefroy.
-奥斯汀 先生怎么称呼 -勒弗罗伊
I think that you, Miss Austen, consider yourself a cut above the company.
我觉得奥斯汀小姐 您认为自己高人一等
How many times did you stand up with that gentleman, Jane?
简 你和那位绅士一共跳了几支舞
- Was it twice? - Twice would have been partial.
-两次 -不止
- Thrice would have been absolutely... - Flagrant.
-两次绝对是 -很明显的...
Careful, Jane, Lucy is right. Mr Lefroy does have a reputation.
小心 简 露茜说得对 勒弗罗伊很有点名气
Presumably as the most disagreeable...
肯定都是些负面的名声...
"...insolent, arrogant, impudent,
...傲慢 自大 轻佻
"insufferable, impertinent of men."
难以忍受的无礼家伙
Too many adjectives.
形容词用得太多了
What is she trying to say?
她到底想说什么
On your toes, gentlemen. No singles.
先生们 准备好了 不要错过了
Bowler's end, bowler's end.
到投手了 到投手了
- Again! - Run for more.
-再来 -跑得再远些
I never feel more French than when I watch cricket.
只有在板球时 我才觉得自己是法国人
- Out. - Not out.
-出局 -没有出局
I begin to suspect you're flirting with my brother, cousin.
我开始觉得你是在和我的兄弟调情了
Flirting is a woman's trade. One must keep in practice.
调情是女人的职业 我们必须不断地练习
We're depending on you.
我们靠你了
Oh, it's Mr Warren's... turn.
轮到沃伦了...
Good luck, Mr Warren.
好运 沃伦
John never was very good, though.
约翰从来就不行
Quickly, hurry! Run!
-快点 快跑 -跑
- You're out. - Yah!
-出局 -呀
- You're gone, Mr Warren. - Oh, dear.
-你输了 沃伦先生 -哦 天啊
Prodigious, Tom, prodigious.
大出色了 汤姆 太出色了
Thank you, Warren. On your way.
谢谢 沃伦 你回去吧
- Well done, Mr Warren. - Bad ball. It's a terrible wicket.
-做得好 沃伦先生 -坏球 太糟糕了
I hope you're not too disappointed, Miss Austen.
奥斯汀小姐 希望您不会太失望
Four more to win, Wisley.
卫斯理 还有4个球要赢
- Who's next? - Come on!
-下一个是谁 -来
- She can't... - Jane!
-她不能... -简
What on earth are you going to do?
你到底在做什么
- Irrepressible. - she can.
-不可能的 -她行的
Be gentle, Lefroy!
下手轻一点 汤姆
Only four more to win.
还要赢4个球
Bowler's end! Move yourself, you lout!
到投手了 快跑
- One more! - Quickly!
-还有一个 -快
Bad luck, Lefroy.
运气不好 勒弗罗伊
You've played this game before?
你以前玩过这个游戏
No choice, you see. She was raised by brothers.
没得选 要知道她是被哥哥弟弟带大的
Time for a swim, I think.
我想该去游泳了
Well played, Henry.
打得好 亨利
I dedicate our victory to La Comtesse de Feuillide.
我把我的胜利献给福伊德伯爵夫人
- Now, there's a decent bit of river over the hill. - Oh, yes?
-在山的背后有一条清澈的小河 -哦 是吗
- Not this time, Lefroy. - Huh?
-勒弗罗伊 现在不是时候 -俄
- Father, have you seen Tom? - No, Lucy, I've not.
-爸爸 你看到汤姆了吗 -没有 露茜 我没看到
Besotted. Natural enough at 15.
15岁的孩子都这么傻
Love and sense are enemies at any age.
爱和理智永远都是敌人
- Mrs Lefroy, may I explore your library? - Of course.
-勒弗罗伊太太 我可以参观您的藏书吗 -当然可以
Lucy would marry him tomorrow, and what a terrible husband he would make.
露茜就想着能嫁给他 他肯定是个糟糕的丈夫
I suppose you mean his reputation. Experience can recommend a man.
我想你说的是他的名声 历练会改变一个人
- Miss Austen. - Oh, Mr Lefroy.
-奥斯汀小姐 -哦 勒弗罗伊先生
- And reading. - Yes.
-您在读书 -是的
I've been looking through your book of the wood. Mr White's Natural History.
我在读您说的描写森林的那本书: 《怀特先生的自然历史》
- Well, how do you like it? - I cannot get on. It is too disturbing.
-那您觉得怎么样 -我没法看下去 写得很乱
- Disturbing? - Mmm.
-很乱 -恩
Take this observation.
看看这里
"Swifts on a fine morning in May, flying this way, that way,
五月的清晨 小雨燕飞来飞去
"sailing around at a great height perfectly happily. Then...
它们在高空中嬉戏玩耍 然后...
"Then one leaps onto the back of another, grasps tightly,
然后一只跳到另一只身上 紧抓住不放
"and forgetting to fly, they both sink down and down in a great, dying fall,
它忘记了飞翔 一同往下坠落
"fathom after fathom, until the female utters..."
越落越深 直到雌鸟发出...
"...the female utters a loud, piercing cry
...雌鸟发出一声尖厉的叫声
Is this conduct commonplace in the natural history of Hampshire?
这个情景在汉普郡大自然中很常见吗
Your ignorance is understandable since you lack... What shall we call it?
您的无知可以理解 因为您缺少...怎么说来着
Propriety commands me to ignorance.
礼数要求我无知
Condemns you to it and your writing to the status of female accomplishment.
礼数使您变得无知 并使您的文章局限在妇女的层面
If you wish to practise the art of fiction, to be the equal of a masculine author,
如果您真地想要写出大师级的小说
experience is vital.
经历是非常重要的
And what qualifies you to offer this advice?
您凭什么提出这个建议的
I know more of the world.
我更了解这个世界
A great deal more, I gather.
我明白 非常多
Enough to know that your horizons must be widened
足够开阔您的眼界了
by an extraordinary young man.
通过那样出色的一个人
By a very dangerous young man,
是那样危险的人
one who has, no doubt, infected the hearts of many a young...
那个人无疑用甜言蜜语偷走了许多年轻的...
- Young woman with the soft corruption... - Read this
-年轻女子的心... -读读看这个
and you will understand.
然后您就明白了
"When the philosopher heard that the fortress of virtue had already been subdued,
哲学家听到道德的城堡被攻克了
"he began to give a large scope to his desires.
他开始重新审视自己的希望
"His appetite was not of that squeamish kind which cannot feed on a dainty
他不是那种无法咽食美味佳肴的人
- "because another..." - "Another has tasted it."
-因为另一个... -另一个已经尝过了
- He's not tasting this dainty. - What, dear?
-他不是在品尝这美食 -亲爱的 你在说什么
"...nor had her face much appearance of beauty.
...她没有漂亮的脸蛋
"But her clothes being torn from all the upper part of her body..."
但是她的上衣都被撕碎了...
"...her breasts, which were well formed and extremely white,
...她的胸脯丰满 雪白
"attracted the eyes of her deliverer,
吸引了遣送人的双眼
and for a few moments they stood silent..."
他们就那样站在那里 一动不动...
"...and gazing at each other."
...互视对方
I have read your book.
我读了您的书
- I have read your book and disapprove. - Of course you do.
-我读了您的书 但我不同意您的观点 -当然您不会同意
- But of what? The scenes? Characters? The prose? - No, all good.
-但原因是什么 场景 角色 描述 -那些都不错
- The morality? - Flawed.
-道德观 -有缺陷
Well, of course, it is. But why?
当然 但是为什么
Vice leads to difficulty, virtue to reward. Bad characters come to bad ends.
惩恶扬善 坏人都应该有坏结局
Exactly. But in life, bad characters often thrive. Take yourself.
没错 但是在生活中 坏人往往过得很滋润 就像您
And a novel must show how the world truly is,
小说必须表现出真实的世界
how characters genuinely think, how events actually occur.
人物真实的想法以及事件的真相
A novel should somehow reveal the true source of our actions.
小说应该展现我们行为的轨迹
What of my hero's feelings?
那您对主角怎么想
Well, it seems to me, sir, that your hero's very vigorous feelings
先生 我觉得 主角感情太过强烈
caused him and everyone connected with him a great deal of trouble.
所以常常给自己和身边的人惹来许多麻烦
Ah, well, if the book has troubled you...
好吧 既然这本书令您如此困惑...
- Oh, but an orphan must know trouble. - What sort of trouble?
-哦 但是小孩必须知道困难 -什么困难
All sorts of trouble.
所有的困难
Laverton Fair. Vastly entertaining. Monstrous good idea, Jane.
拉弗顿集会 非常有意思 简 这真是好主意
Yes, Miss Austen, not exactly your usual society, I'd say.
是的 奥斯汀小姐 我想说这和你的圈子不太一样
Show a little imagination, Mr Lefroy.
勒弗罗伊先生 有点想象力
Trouble here enough.
这里的麻烦够多了
And freedom, the freedom of men.
还有自由 男人的自由
Do not you envy it?
你不妒嫉吗
But I have the intense pleasure of observing it so closely.
我能这么近的欣赏已经很开心了
Now, there's a fool, to go to it with a professional.
有个笨蛋居然和职业选手对打
- You know about this, of course. - Of course.
-当然 你知道这个节目 -当然
Yes, a vastly fashionable pastime in London.
在伦敦是很流行的休闲节目
Beating a man to a pulp. What are you doing?
把人打成浆糊吗 你在做什么
Mr Lefroy, stop!
勒弗罗伊先生 住手
- Stop! - Let us see how you fare against me, sir.
-住手 -先生 让我们看看你怎么打败我
Five shillings on the gent. Who will take it?
我赌5先令 那位绅士赢 谁想下注
You, sir? That's the ticket.
你吗 先生 拿好票子
Come on, Lefroy, hit him, man!
上 勒弗罗伊 打他
Tom, you must stop.
汤姆 住手
- That's twice he's done that to me. - You spend money like water.
-这是他第二次让我输了 -你花钱如流水
I'm afraid it's damn low water with me.
我想现在我身上已经缺水了
- I'm afraid I'm short, sir. - Take it.
-先生 我想我没钱给你了 -拿着
Mr Lefroy? Mr Lefroy? Mr Lefroy?
勒弗罗伊先生 勒弗罗伊先生 勒弗罗伊先生
Was I deficient in propriety?
我是不是很没有礼数
Why did you do that?
为什么要这么做
Couldn't waste all those expensive boxing lessons.
实在不能浪费这么宝贵的练习机会
Forgive me if I suspect in you a sense of justice.
如果我以前有怀疑过您的正直 请原谅我
I am a lawyer. Justice plays no part in the law.
我是律师 但是正直在法律中毫无用处
Is that what you believe?
您这么认为的
I believe it. I must.
我必须相信
I beg your leave.
请原谅我先行告辞
- Her heart is stirred. - It's a summer squall.
-她的心在搅动 -这只是场夏日暴风雨
Mr Lefroy will soon be gone. And Mr Wisley will still be waiting, I hope.
勒弗罗伊先生很快就会离开 希望卫斯理先生会等候她
- The man's a booby. - Oh, he will grow out of that.
-那个男人是个傻子 -哦 他会成长的
And she could fix him with very little trouble.
她很容易就会使他成长的
You could persuade her.
你可以说服她
To sacrifice her happiness?
牺牲她的快乐
Jane should have not the man who offers the best price, but the man she wants.
简不是要一个出价高的男人 而是要她想要的
Must we have this conversation day in and day out?
干嘛要一天到晚谈论这件事吗
We'll end up in the gutter if we carry on like this.
如果再这样继续下去 我们就永无宁日了
Jenny! Mr Austen!
洁妮 奥斯汀老爷
So kind of you to return the call.
太感谢您的来访
- Will you take a dish of tea, ma'am? - Green tea?
-女士 您想要杯茶吗 -绿茶
- Brown, Your Ladyship. - Then no.
-红茶 夫人 -那就不要了
Where is your youngest daughter?
你的小女儿在哪里
She's visiting the poor, ma'am.
她去看望穷人了
At last. Lady Gresham and Mr Wisley have come to call.
你终于回来了 格莱谢姆夫人和卫斯理先生来访
Where have you been?
你去了哪里
Well, perhaps... Perhaps the young people would like to take a walk?
也许... 也许 年轻人想要出去走走
I see there's a pretty little wilderness at the side of the house.
我看到房子旁边有一大块荒地
- What is she doing? - Writing.
-她在做什么 -写作
Can anything be done about it?
那有什么用
Miss Austen, you may know
奥斯汀小姐 你知道
that I have known you
从我来访斯蒂文顿开始
for some considerable time during my visits to Steventon.
我已经认识你有一段时间了
The garden is so affecting in this season.
这个季节的花园真是漂亮
- The impression you have given me has always... - The flowers particularly.
-你给我的印象总是... -尤其是花儿
What I'm trying to say is that I...
我想说的是我...
I have a respectable property of 2,000 pounds a year
我每年有可观的2000英镑收入
in addition to even greater expectations as Lady Gresham's heir,
另外作为格莱谢姆的继承人 我的财产会更加庞大
- to which it may be indelicate to refer. - Oh, indelicate, yes.
-提到这些可能有些失礼 -哦 有些失礼 是的
It's yours. If we marry, all of it, yours.
这些都是你的 如果我们结婚 这一切都是你的
Your offer is most sincere, I can see, and gentlemanlike, and it honours me, truly.
我知道 您的请求很真诚 也很绅士 这让我真得很荣幸
But for all you are, and all you offer, I...
但是对于您 和您的条件 我...
Sometimes affection is a shy flower that takes time to blossom.
有时候 感情就像害羞的花朵 要经过时间的考验才会绽放
Lying to tradesmen, mending, scratching, scraping.
跟小贩编借口 缝缝补补 拆东墙补西墙
Endlessly, endlessly making do!
总是勉强度日
I understand that our circumstances are difficult, ma'am.
我知道现在处境不太好
- There is no money for you. - Surely something could be done.
-没钱给你 -总会想出点法子的
What we can put by must go to your brothers.
我们存下的钱得留给你兄弟
You will have nothing, unless you marry.
你一个子儿也得不到 只有靠婆家
Well, then, I will have nothing.
好吧 没有就没有
For I will not marry without affection, like my mother!
我才不要没有爱情的婚姻 像我母亲那样
And now I have to dig my own damn potatoes!
你看我现在还得自己挖土豆
Would you rather be a poor old maid? Ridiculous, despised, the butt of jokes?
你宁愿做一个可怜的老处女 被人轻视 成为别人的笑柄
The legitimate sport of any village lout with a stone and an impudent tongue?
成为粗鄙的乡巴佬饭后的谈资
Affection is desirable.
爱情令人神往
Money is absolutely indispensable.
但金钱却是无论如何不可或缺的
I could live by my...
我可以依靠我的...
- I could live by my... - Pen?
-我可以依靠我的... -笔
Let's knock that notion on the head once and for all.
我不如一劳永逸跟你说清楚吧
Trouble amongst my women?
自家人还有什么好吵的
take hands and there's an end.
拉拉手 和好吧
- Where are you going? Miss! - To feed the pigs, ma'am.
-你去哪儿 小姐 -去喂猪 夫人
He could give you a splendid home.
他能给你一座大宅子
- A comfortable life. - Father.
-舒适的生活 -父亲
This is likely to be your best offer.
这是你最好的机会了
It is true, so far he has not impressed...
是真的 到目前为止 他还...
- A booby. - He should grow out of that.
-他是个呆子 -他会变的
Nothing destroys spirit
任何东西 比如贫困
I saw Queen Marie Antoinette wear something the same at a ball once.
我看见玛丽安东妮皇后在舞会上穿过一次
Am I making a show? I am, I know.
我是不是在出洋相 是的 我知道
What trouble we take to make them like us when we like them.
当你喜欢上一个人 想要他也喜欢你 你会不辞辛苦
- Eliza, my brother is much younger than you. - And poorer.
-伊丽莎白 我哥哥比你年轻多了 -也穷多了
He knows that I care for him sincerely.
他知道我真心对他好
I know that he is handsome...
他的确很英俊...
And the handsome young men must have something to live on as well as the plain.
年轻英俊的男人除了表面的职业之外 肯定还有其他谋生手段
You encourage him to take you for money?
你怂恿他为钱而接纳你
- Men do. - That does not make it honourable.
-男人会这样的 -这么做可不体面
Well, I'm a sensible woman.
我是个明智的女人
I thank God I am not, by your description.
感谢上帝 我不是
If you were, you might have ascertained that your Irish friend has no money, not a penny
如果你是 你就会知道 你那个爱尔兰朋友根本就是一文不名
and could not be expected to marry without it.
没钱就休想结婚
Consider that at the ball tonight.
今晚的舞会好好考虑考虑
In any event, he'll be gone tomorrow back to Bond Street where he can do no more harm.
不管怎么说 他明天就要回邦德街了 在那里他就没法再害人了
Good evening, Miss Austen.
晚上好 奥斯汀小姐
Miss Jane Austen.
简·奥斯汀小姐
We're very honoured to be here at your aunt's ball.
我们能参加你姑姑的舞会 感到万分荣幸
You dance with passion.
你的舞跳得很有激情
No sensible woman would demonstrate passion if the purpose were to attract a husband.
一个明智的女人如果想要吸引未来的丈夫 是不会展现激情的
- As opposed to a lover? - Hmm.
-跟爱人不一样吗 -嗯
Rest easy, Mr Lefroy.
别激动 勒弗罗伊先生
- I have no expectation on either account. - I did not mean to offend or hurt...
-我对这两方面都没什么期望 -我不是想冒犯或者伤害...
Oh, no, no, of course not. Excuse me, I'm just over warm.
噢 不 不 我只是觉得太热了
- Ah, Miss Austen. - Excuse me.
-奥斯汀小姐 -对不起
This is unbearable. My father is pressing for an early ordination,
真受不了 我父亲逼着要提前授教职
while my own inclination is to the scarlet of a captaincy in His Majesty's regulars.
而我自己却一心想着 能在皇家军队中谋个上尉干干
But I do not have the money to purchase one.
可我又没有钱去买官
Well, that, of course is impossible.
那种事情当然是绝无可能的
Oh, Henry, do not disguise yourself, not to me.
亨利 别再装了 在我面前不用
The scarlet will suit you very well.
你穿上皇家军服一定会很漂亮
Miss Austen? There you are.
奥斯汀小姐 你在这里
Miss Austen, I cannot believe I am obliged to have this conversation.
奥斯汀小姐 真不敢相信 我居然要跟你费这番口舌
Mr Wisley's mother, my own dear sister, died young.
卫斯理先生的母亲 也就是我的姐姐 去世得很早
I have no children of my own.
我自己又没有孩子
I hope you never come to understand the pain of that condition.
希望你永远也不用明白我的这种痛苦
Let us simply say my nephew's wishes are close to my heart,
简单说吧 我外甥的愿望 我会放在心上
however extraordinary they may be.
不管是怎样不寻常的愿望
your health seems robust.
你看上去很健康
You have the usual accomplishments.
一般女孩子该会的你也都会
Your person is agreeable.
你这个人也挺讨人喜欢
But when a young woman such as yourself receives the addresses
像我外甥这样的绅士如果 对你这样的年轻女孩表示爱慕
from a gentleman such as my nephew, it is her duty to accept at once.
你应该立刻应承下来 这更是一种责任
But what do we find?
可是你呢
- Independent thought? - Exactly.
-独立的思想 -没错
My nephew, Miss Austen, condescends far indeed
我外甥 奥斯汀小姐 如此屈尊去向一个牧师的女儿示爱
in offering to the daughter of an obscure and impecunious clergyman.
这个牧师又是一个名不见经传的穷光蛋
Impecunious? Your Ladyship is mistaken.
穷光蛋 夫人您错了
I am never mistaken.
我从来没错过
Your father is in grave financial difficulties.
你父亲经济上正面临严重的困难
But all is not lost.
但他还没山穷水尽
He has a daughter upon whom fortune has smiled.
他还有个女儿 财富正向她微笑
Mr Wisley is a good opportunity for Jane.
卫斯理先生对简来说是个绝佳的机会
She should accept him at once.
她应该毫不犹豫地答应他
Do not you think?
你不这么认为吗
- Lucy, let us take some refreshments. - What? Mother.
-露茜 我们去吃些点心吧 -什么 母亲
I have learned of Mr Wisley's marriage proposal.
我听说卫斯理先生向你求婚了
Is there an alternative
对于一个虽然受过良好教育 却出身贫寒的年轻女子来说
for a well-educated young woman of small fortune?
还有其他选择吗
How can you have him?
你怎么能嫁给他
Even with his thousands and his houses,
虽然他有钱还住着大宅子
how can you, of all people, dispose of yourself without affection?
不管别人怎样 你怎么能够放弃爱情 这样糟蹋自己
How can I dispose of myself with it?
我怎么能这样糟蹋自己
You are leaving tomorrow.
你明天就要走了
- Did I do that well? - Very, very well.
-我刚才做的还好吗 -很好 非常好
I wanted, just once, to do it well.
我曾想过要做得好 哪怕就一次
I have no money, no property,
我没有钱 没有财产
I am entirely dependent upon that bizarre old lunatic, my uncle.
完全依靠我那个古怪的舅舅
I cannot yet offer marriage. But you must know what I feel.
我没办法同你结婚 但你必须知道我的感觉
Gah, I'm yours. I'm yours, heart and soul.
我是你的 我是你的 无论肉体还是灵魂
Much good that is.
实在是太美妙了
Let me decide that.
让我来决定
"My dearest Cassandra, my heart has wings.
亲爱的卡珊德拉 我的心插上了翅膀
"Doubts and deliberations are ended.
不再有困惑和迟疑
"Soon I shall escape the attentions of that great lady and her scintillating nephew.
很快我将摆脱老夫人和她那聪明的外甥
"Eliza, Henry and I will join you at the coast,
伊丽莎白 亨利和我将要去你那里
"but we are obliged to break our journey in London.
但我们得先在去趟伦敦
"Tom has cleverly secured an invitation
汤姆很聪明地设法让他的舅舅
to stay with his uncle, the judge.
就是那位法官 邀请我们稍事停留
"Let us hope we can convince him of my eligibility.
希望我们能让他接受我
"Please destroy this disgraceful letter
麻烦你缓过神来的时候
"the moment you have recovered from your astonishment.
把这封见不得人的信撕掉
"Yours affectionately, and in haste, Jane."
你亲爱的简草字
Tom! Our guests have arrived.
汤姆 客人到了
- Welcome... - Madame le Comtesse.
-欢迎... -伯爵夫人
Madame le Comtesse. Seldom, too seldom, my house receives the presence of nobility.
伯爵夫人 贵族光临寒舍 这样的机会实在是千载难逢
And, of course, its friends. Please.
当然 还有您的朋友 请
Your stay is short. There's not a moment to lose.
您行程紧张 时间宝贵
My nephew has devised a plan of metropolitan amusement.
我的外甥草拟了一份伦敦观光的线路
Pleasure is, as you would say, Madame, his forte.
找乐子可是他的强项 夫人
Which battle was it, Tom?
汤姆 是哪场战役
Villers-en-Cauchies.
维勒斯-考其斯战役
Very good. Thousands slain. Served those Frenchies out.
很好 数千人丧生 活该那些法国佬
Oh. Saving your presence, ma'am.
哦 请原谅我的无礼 夫人
Be not afraid of abusing the Jacobins on my account, Judge.
法官大人 不要因为我的原因 就不好意斥责那些雅各宾派
- They guillotined my husband. - Oh, savages. Beasts.
-他们把我丈夫送上了断头台 -哦 那帮野蛮人 畜生
- And his property? - Confiscated.
-他的财产呢 -没收了
Of course, by then, much of my wealth was portable, so...
当然 不过那时候 我的大部分财产都可以随身携带...
Yes, portable property is happiness in a pocketbook.
是啊 可以随身携带的财产 是皮夹子里的幸福
Do I detect you in irony?
我似乎闻到了讽刺的味道
It is my considered opinion that irony is insult with a smiling face.
窃以为讽刺就是面带微笑的侮辱
No, irony is the bringing together of contradictory truths
讽刺是把相互对立的事实摆在一起
to make out of the contradiction a new truth
使人开怀大笑或者会心一笑
with a laugh or a smile,
进而通过这种对立得出一个新的事实
and I confess that a truth must come with one or the other,
我承认事实必定是结伴而来的
or I account it as false and a denial of the very nature of humanity itself.
否则我不承认其为事实 而是对最根本的人性的否定
My cousin is a writer.
我的表妹是一名作家
- Of what? - Jane?
-写什么的 -简
A young woman of family?
正经人家的年轻女儿
Yes, uncle, and tomorrow we go and visit another, Mrs Radcliffe.
是的 舅舅 明天我们要去拜访拉德克利夫夫人
She keeps herself to herself, almost a recluse, but I know her husband through the law.
她避世而居 但我认识她的丈夫
- Who? - The authoress, Mrs Radcliffe.
-谁 -作家 拉德克利夫夫人
- As writing is her profession. - Her what?
-以写作为生 -什么
500 pounds, uncle, for the last novel, The Mysteries of Udolpho.
舅舅 她的上一本小说挣了500英镑 《尤道弗的奥秘》
- And 800 pounds, I believe, for her next. - The Italian.
-我相信下一本能挣800英镑 -《意大利人》
Above 1,000 pounds?
超过1000英镑
The times, the times.
跟不上时代了 跟不上时代了
You live so quietly.
您这里真安静
And yet your novels are filled with romance, danger, terror.
您的小说充满了浪漫 危险和惊恐
Everything my life is not.
我们的生活中却一样都没有
Of what do you wish to write?
你想写那一类的文章
Do you know it?
你知道自己内心的想法吗
But even if that fails, that's what the imagination is for.
即使失败了 还有想像呢
Your imagination has brought you independence.
您的想像力给您带来了独立
At a cost to myself and to my husband.
我和我丈夫付出的代价也很大
To have a wife who has a mind is considered not quite proper.
她老婆被别人认为脑子不正常
To have a wife with a literary reputation nothing short of scandalous.
成天写一些诽谤性的文章
But it must be possible?
那么有没有可能
- To live as both wife and author? - Oh.
-同时扮演好作家和妻子的角色 -哦
Could I really have this?
我真的能拥有吗
- This life with you. - Yes.
-跟你生活在一起 -能
- Hush. The judge. - The man's like a rampant dog.
-小心法官 -那老家伙太张狂了
He will be generous. I'm sure of it.
他会变得慷慨的 我相信
- You'll speak with him? - Tomorrow, I promise.
-你跟他说过了 -明天 我保证
I really must say good night.
我真的得道晚安了
- Good night. - Good night.
-晚安 -晚安
- Miss Austen? - Yes?
-奥斯汀小姐 -嗯
You know, I think my mother is right. A husband, and the sooner, the better.
我妈说得对 得赶紧给她找个婆家 越快越好
Five girls of little fortune.
5个穷人家的女孩子
"...sensibly and as warmly as a man violently in love can be supposed to do.
...像一个热恋中的男子那样 敏感 热烈
"Mr Wickham was the happy man towards whom almost every female eye was turned.
威克曼先生是个快乐的人 但所有女性都对其退避三舍
"...partial, prejudiced, absurd.
...太盲目 太偏心而且不近情理
"Watch for the first appearance of Pemberley Woods.
彭伯里的树林一出现在眼前
"The happiness which this reply produced...
这个回答简直使他感到快乐...
"It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed."
这怎么行 我的感情也压制不住了
- Good morning, sir. - Good morning?
-早上好 先生 -早上好
- Has the world turned topsy? - Sir?
-这世界是怎么了 -先生
I trust the countess is enjoying her visit?
我相信伯爵夫人对这次的旅行一定很满意
I gather she is, sir. I...
我想是的 先生 我...
Fine woman, very fine woman.
了不起的女人 非常了不起的女人
- I'd hoped to discuss a certain matter. - Your allowance is beyond negotiation.
-我有件事情要跟你商量 -你的零用钱没什么好商量的
Now that you have had the opportunity to become acquainted with Miss Austen yourself,
您现在已经认识奥斯汀小姐本人了
I am sure you will find, as I do, that she is a remarkable young woman.
我相信 您跟我一样 都会觉得她是个出色的女孩子
- This is an outrage! - Lf you will allow me to speak, sir.
-太不像话了 -请允许我说完 先生
There is no need. This letter makes it absolutely clear.
没有必要 信里面写得很清楚了
Now I know what you were at down in Hampshire.
现在我算知道你在汉普郡都干了些什么
- It is from Steventon. - Is it true
-斯蒂文顿来的信 -你是不是
that you have practiced upon me with this chit?
寻思着要跟我说这个女孩子的事情
I wished you to know the young lady.
我希望您能了解这位年轻女士
I wished to introduce her to your affections discreetly.
我只是想用一种合适的方法 把她介绍给您 并喜欢您喜欢她
Aye! Blind me with the rich widow
是啊 用一个有钱的寡妇打掩护
and then insinuate that penniless little husband-hunter!
然后偷偷把这个穷人家的女孩介绍给我
- Moderation, sir, I beg you! - That ironical little authoress.
-注意您的措辞 求您了 -那个冷嘲热讽的小作家
I wished you to know her for yourself.
我希望您能自己了解她
I was certain her merit would speak for her.
我想您一定会发现她身上的美德
- Consider, sir, my happiness is in your hands. - Happiness?
-考虑考虑吧 我的幸福就掌握在你手上 -幸福
I had rather you were a whore-mongering blackguard with a chance of reform
我宁愿你尚未完全无药可救的皮条客
than a love-sick whelp sunk in a bad marriage.
也不愿意你被一桩不般配的婚姻毁了
My uncle has refused to give his consent.
我舅舅不同意
- The letter has done its work. - Who sent it?
-都是那封信坏的事 -谁写的
They think that they can do what they like with us, but I will not accept this.
他们要怎么做就随他们去吧 我才不去理会呢
We have no choice.
我们别无选择
I depend entirely upon...
完完全全地依靠...
And I depend on you.
我就看你的态度了
So what will you do?
你打算怎么办
I have a duty to my family, Jane. I must think of them as well as...
我对我的家族负有责任 我不能置他们于不顾...
Is that... Is that all you have to say to me?
你... 你对我要说的就是这些吗
Goodbye, Mr Lefroy.
再见 勒弗罗伊先生
The sentence of this court is that you be taken to the place whence you came
本庭宣判如下 你将被押送回原籍
and thence to a place of execution,
并在那里执行死刑
and that you be there hanged by the neck until you are dead.
死刑的执行方式为绞刑
May the Lord have mercy on your soul.
愿主宽恕你的灵魂
He has behaved so ill to you, Jane.
他居然如此对待你 简
Perhaps soon we can return home to Steventon.
也许我们很快就可以回斯蒂文顿的家了
Is there any news of Robert?
有没有罗伯特的消息
He has arrived in San Domingo at last.
他终于到圣多明戈了
Glass of wine with you, sir?
一起喝杯酒吧 先生
Yes, a toast from one member of the profession to another.
一个专业人士向另一个专业人士敬酒
I'm sorry to have been so disobliging in the past.
我以前那么不听话 实在抱歉
So, the infamous Mrs Radcliffe.
那个声名狼藉的拉德克利夫夫人
Was she really as gothic as her novels?
她本人像她的小说那样野蛮吗
Not in externals,
起码外表上不是
but her inner landscape is quite picturesque, I suspect.
我猜想她的内心世界一定是与众不同
There's a message for Reverend Austen.
一封给奥斯汀先生的信
- Message for Reverend Austen. - Thank you.
-给奥斯汀先生的信 -谢谢
It seemed he died very soon after landing in San Domingo.
似乎他到达圣多明戈不久就去世了
My God, he was hardly there.
老天啊 他刚刚到那里
What was the disease?
是什么疾病
Yellow fever. Lord Craven, he wrote.
黄热病 克莱文爵士说了
He said that if he had known he was engaged to be married,
如果他知道他已经订婚
he would never have taken him.
肯定不会让他去的
Jane, there's something else.
简 还有件事情
Mr Lefroy, Tom.
勒弗罗伊先生 汤姆
I would keep this from you if I could.
我本不想跟你说的
He's here visiting Mrs Lefroy and I...
他来拜访勒弗罗伊夫人 我...
It's something I began in London.
是我从伦敦开始就在写的东西
It is the tale of a young woman.
一个年轻女人的故事
Better than their circumstances.
心比天高
And two young gentlemen who receive
两位年轻男士 却得到了那么多他们不该得到的
much better than their deserts as so very many do.
男人大多有这种特权
How does the story begin?
故事怎么开头的
- Badly. - And then?
-很糟糕 -后面呢
With, I hope, some humour.
不过我希望还能剩下些幽默
They both make triumphant, happy endings.
他们都心想事成了 大团圆
Brilliant marriages?
美满的婚姻
Incandescent marriages
光耀的婚姻
to very rich men.
嫁给了富有的男人
You asked me a question.
你问过我一个问题
I am ready to give you an answer. But there is one matter to be settled.
我现在可以回答你 不过有一件事情要先解决
I cannot make you out, Mr Wisley.
我没法跟你交往下去 卫斯理先生
the most gentlemanlike man I know and yet you would...
你是我见过的 最有绅士风度的男人 但是你...
"Yet". What a sad word.
但是是个不详的字眼
And yet, you write yourself most tellingly to great effect.
但是 你写的那个东西实在是太过分了
- I'm speaking, of course, of your letter. - What letter?
-我说的是你写的那封信 -什么信
Was your aunt the correspondent on your behalf?
你姨妈那封信不是替你写的吗
One way or another, passion makes fools of us all.
爱会让人变傻 不管是哪种形式的爱
I hope, in time, passion may regain your better opinion.
我希望 随着时间的流逝 你会重拾对感情的信心
The emotion is absurd.
情感都是荒谬的
When you consider the sex to whom it is often directed,
你一旦对某人付出情感
indistinguishable from folly.
那你就是愚不可及
I thank you for the honour of your proposal. I accept. Good day.
我非常荣幸接受你的求婚 再见
Mr Wisley is... He's an honourable man.
卫斯理先生... 他是个好人
You'll always have a place with me.
你一定能跟他相处好的
I believe I must congratulate you, Mr Lefroy.
我得要恭喜您 勒弗罗伊先生
And you've come to visit an old friend at such a time. How considerate.
这时候还来看望老朋友 您太周到了
to offer an explanation, belatedly,
是向你解释的 尽管已经晚了
for my conduct. I cannot think how to describe it.
我不知道该如何开口
Tell me about your lady, Mr Lefroy.
说说你的未婚妻 勒弗罗伊先生
From where does she come?
她是哪儿人
She's from County Wexford.
她是韦斯福特郡人
Your own country. Excellent.
你的同乡 太好了
What was it that won her?
你是怎么赢得她的芳心的
Your manner, smiles and pleasing address?
你的举止 微笑 还是动听的言辞
No, no, not at all.
不 不 不是那样的
No, had I really experienced that emotion, I should, at present, detest the very sight of him.
不 不 他让我遭受那么大的伤害 我根本不想见到他
And you are mistaken.
你错了
I'm even impartial towards the gloriously endowed Miss Wexford...
我对那位韦斯福特郡的小姐 一点偏见都没有...
And so you would marry Wisley?
你要嫁给卫斯理
If there is a shred of truth or justice inside of you,
如果你还打算给自己一丝诚实和公正
- you cannot marry him. - Oh no, Mr Lefroy.
-你就不能嫁给他 -哦 不 勒弗罗伊先生
Justice, by your own admission, you know little of, truth even less.
公正 用你的话来说 你根本不懂 诚实就更不用说了
Jane, I have tried. I have tried and I cannot live this lie.
简 我试过了 我无法生活在谎言中
What value will there be in life if we are not together?
如果我们不能在一起 生活还有什么意义
That is exactly what I propose.
没错
We'll post to London, by Friday be in Scotland, and man and wife.
我们立刻去伦敦 星期五就能在苏格兰成婚了
- Leave everything? - Everything.
-丢下一切 -一切
It is the only way we can be together.
只有这样我们才能在一起
You'll lose everything.
你会失去一切
Family, place. For what?
家人 地位 为了什么
A lifetime of drudgery on a pittance?
一辈子的劳碌和微薄的俸禄
A child every year and no means to lighten the load?
每年添一个孩子 无力改变困境
- How will you write, Jane? - I do not know.
-你如何写作 -我不知道
But happiness is within my grasp and I cannot help myself.
可幸福就在我手中 我无法抵御
There is no sense in this.
这么做太不理智了
If you could have your Robert back, even like this,
如果你的罗伯特能回来 即便是处在我的这个境地
- Please conceal my departure as long as possible. - Wait.
-拜托你尽量帮我隐瞒 -等等
Take these. Now go, quickly.
拿上快走吧
Come. If we hurry, we can still make the morning coach.
如果抓紧时间 我们还赶得上早班马车
- Is it coming? - Not yet.
-车子来了吗 -还没
Take my hand. All right?
抓住我的手
Hurry. I can hear it approaching.
赶紧 我都听到声音了
Two to London. We'll settle at first rest.
两个人去伦敦 第一次停车休想的时候付钱
- Yes? - Right you are, sir.
-行吗 -可以 先生
Hampshire, your home county.
汉普郡 你的家乡
Stuck. Everybody out, ladies and gentlemen, please.
卡住了 所有人都出来 请吧 女士们 先生们
- We need to lighten the load. - No, let me, let me.
-得减轻负重 -不 不 我来吧
I shall require you gentlemen to give me a hand, put your shoulders into it.
先生们得帮把手 把肩膀顶进去
Now, sir, if you can push on the coach itself. Excuse me, sir. Young gentleman?
先生 现在可以开始推马车了 那位年轻的先生 对不起
- Yes, yes. - You on the other side, sir, thank you.
-是的 是的 -你到那边去 谢谢
- Young gentleman, please come along. - All right.
-年轻的先生 请过来 -好吧
Mind helping us? Thank you.
能帮把手吗 谢谢
Right, all together now then, sirs, please?
好了 一起使劲
and a three and push!
3 推
"How timely was the arrival of the money you sent."
您寄来的钱真是雪中送炭
1 2 3 One, two and three!
"It was so very much appreciated by your father and I.
我和你父亲都会十分感激你
"You're so kind to share your uncle's allowance.
您能跟我们分享 您自己的生活费实在是太慷慨了
"Indeed, I do not dare think how we would survive without it."
实际上 没有这笔钱 我真不知道怎么撑下去
Well done. Thank you, sirs.
很好 谢谢你们 先生们
All right, ladies and gentlemen, back on the coach as soon as you can, thank you.
好了 女士们 先生们 可以回马车上去了
- Worried? - No.
-担心了 -没有
- Is it the loss of your reputation? - No.
-是担心你的名誉损失吗 -不
- I do not... - Please, sir, come along, the coach is departing.
-我不... -先生 抓紧时间 马车要出发了
Changing horses. Twenty minutes only.
换马 20分钟休息
House of office at the back of the inn. All down, quick as you like.
休息室在旅馆后面 所有人都赶紧下车
How many brothers and sisters do you have in Limerick, Tom?
你在利默尼里克有多少兄弟姐妹 汤姆
What are the names of your brothers and sisters?
他们都叫什么名字
On whom do they depend?
他们都靠谁养活
Your reputation is destroyed.
一旦你的名声被毁
Your profligacy is a beautiful sham.
你的不检点会让他们蒙羞
- I can earn money. - It will not be enough.
-我自己可以挣钱 -不够的
With a High Court Judge as your enemy? And a penniless wife?
有个做最高法院法官的敌人 还有个赤贫的妻子
God knows how many mouths depending on you?
谁知道有多少人靠你养活
My sweet, sweet friend, you will sink, and we will all sink with you.
我亲爱的 亲爱的朋友 你会沉沦 同时会连累所有人
- I will... - Hampshire Flyer.
-我会... -去汉普郡的班车
Hampshire Flyer's leaving in five minutes.
去汉普郡的班车 5分钟之后出发
I will never give you up.
我永远都不会放弃你
- Tom... - Don't speak or think.
-汤姆... -什么都别说 什么都别想
Just love me. Do you love me?
只要你爱我 你爱我吗
But if our love destroys your family, it will destroy itself.
但如果我们的爱能毁掉你的家庭 也会毁掉它自己
In a long, slow degradation of guilt and regret and blame.
在内疚 悔恨和自责中慢慢消亡
Made from contradiction.
从矛盾中的出的真相
But it must come with a smile.
但我们得微笑着接受它
Or else I shall count it as false and we shall have had no love at all.
否则我只能认为我们从来就没有相爱过
Typical bloody runaway. "Will I, won't I?"
这些该死的私奔的 我愿意吗 我不愿意
All right, off you go.
好了 出发了
- Where is everyone? - Looking for you, Miss. Looking everywhere.
-人都到哪里去了 -在找您 小姐 到处找您
- Thank you, Jenny. - Mr Warren.
-谢谢你 洁妮 -沃伦先生
Your family tried to keep the matter from the servants, but...
你的家人想瞒住仆人 但是...
Where is that blackguard Lefroy?
那个流氓勒弗罗伊在哪
My God, if Henry finds him, he'll kill him.
老天 如果被亨利找到 一定会宰了他
If he does, he won't kill him.
即使找到了 也不会杀了他
I may have less personal charm than Lefroy.
也许我不如勒弗罗伊吸引人
Superficial charm to some eyes.
有些人会被表面的魅力所迷惑
To others, it is mere affectation, but I...
还有些人 看重的是一时的激情 而我...
- I have no hopes. - Hopes?
-我没有希望了 -希望
You cannot begin to imagine.
你都无法想象
Thank you for the great honour of your offer,
谢谢您的慷慨的提议
but are there no other women in Hampshire?
汉普郡就没有其他女人了吗
It was you who wrote the judge.
是你写信给法官的
You must consider how much I have always loved you.
你要明白 我一直在爱着你
You came back to us.
你回来了
Mr Austen, I must inform you that I shall not attend service today.
奥斯汀先生 我必须告诉你 如果这位年轻女士也在场的话
- Not in the presence of this young woman. - Indeed...
-我就不会进教堂 -当然...
- If I must speak plainly... - Aunt.
-恕我直言... -姨妈
I believe your youngest daughter has been on a journey.
听出你的小女儿出了趟门
- Her Ladyship considers travel a crime? - Unsanctioned travel.
-夫人您觉得旅行也是犯法吗 -未经批准的旅行
Furthermore, be aware that my nephew has withdrawn his addresses
还有 请注意 我外甥已经收回了他的求婚
to someone without family, fortune, importance
他怎能向一个没有家人 没有财产 没有价值的女人求婚
and fatally tainted by suspicion.
更不用说她的人品还存在疑点
- Oh, she has family, madam. - Indeed she has.
-哦 夫人 她有家人的 -确实有的
Importance may depend upon other matters than Your Ladyship can conceive.
有些东西的价值是夫人您永远无法想像的
As to fortune, a young woman might depend upon herself.
至于财产 年轻的女子可以自食其力
An interesting notion, Miss Austen.
您观点很有趣 奥斯汀小姐
Oblige me a walk along the river to enlarge upon the topic.
能陪我去河边走走 深入探讨一下这个问题吗
I am sorry if my conduct has disappointed you, Mr Wisley.
抱歉让您失望了 卫斯理先生
It seems you cannot bring yourself to marry without affection.
似乎您无法接受没有爱情的婚姻
Or even with it.
即便有 您也可能拒绝
I respect you for that and share your opinion. Neither can I.
为此 我非常尊重您 我也持有同样的观点
I'd always hoped to win your love in time,
我一直希望时间长了 就能赢得您的爱
but I am vain enough to want to be loved for myself rather than my money.
不过看来我这个人除了钱 其他地方一无是处
Do we part as friends?
我们以后还是朋友吗
- So, you will live... - By my pen. Yes.
-您将以... -以笔为生 是的
Will all your stories have happy endings?
您的故事都有美满的结局吗
My characters will have,
我的那些角色都会有
after a little bit of trouble,
不过要经历些磨难
all that they desire.
他们会心想事成
The good do not always come to good ends.
好人不一定都有好报
It is a truth universally acknowledged.
这是一项真理
"...that a single man in possession of a good fortune
...凡是有钱的单身汉
"must be in want of a wife."
总想娶位太太
"However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be
这样的单身汉 每逢新搬到一个地方
"on his first entering a neighbourhood,
四邻八舍虽完全不了解他的性情 见解
"this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families,
可是 既然这样的一条真理 早已在人们心目中根深蒂固
"that he is considered
因此人们总是把他看作
as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.
自己某一个女儿理所应得的一笔财产
"My dear Mr Bennet, "said his lady to him, one day,
我的好老爷 有一天班纳特太太对她的丈夫说
"Have you heard that Netherfield Park is let at last? "
尼日斐花园终于租出去了 你听说过没有
"Mr Bennet replied that he had not.
班纳特先生回答说 他没有听说过
"But it is, "returned she
的确租出去了 她说
Is it Miss Austen? The Miss Austen?
您是奥斯汀小姐吗 那位奥斯汀小姐
No, Madam. That courtesy, according to the customs of precedence,
不是 夫人 长幼有序
belongs to my elder sister.
这称呼应该归于我嫂子
Miss Jane Austen, the authoress of Pride and Prejudice?
简·奥斯汀小姐 《傲慢与偏见》的作者
My sister wishes to remain anonymous, but your kind regard is much appreciated.
我妹妹不求闻达于世 不过还是谢谢您的问候
- Thank you. - Thank you.
-谢谢 -谢谢
Please, come through.
请走过来
I shall never forgive Henry for this.
我不会原谅亨利的
Yes, you will. We always forgive him for everything.
你会的 他做什么 你都会原谅他的
Jane, an old friend.
简 老朋友了
Late as ever.
还是像原来一样姗姗来迟
Madame le Comtesse, Miss Austen.
伯爵夫人 奥斯汀小姐
Please allow me to introduce to you
请允许我向你介绍
your most avid of admirers, my daughter, Miss Lefroy.
你最热烈的崇拜者 我女儿 勒弗罗伊小姐
Miss Austen, what a pleasure to meet you.
奥斯汀小姐 非常荣幸认识您
Will you read for us this evening?
您今晚会为我们朗读吗
Ah, well, you see, my sister never reads.
我妹妹从不在公众面前朗读
Otherwise, how else is she supposed to remain anonymous?
否则她怎么保持不为世人所知呢
- But... - Jane.
-但是... -简
I will make an exception
如果我的新朋友想要的话
if my new friend wishes it.
我会破例一次
Come, sit by me.
来吧 坐到我身边来
She is lovely, Tom.
她真可爱 汤姆
"She began now to comprehend
她开始理解到
"that he was exactly the man who, in disposition and talents,
他无论在个性方面和才能方面 都百分之百是一个
"would most suit her.
最适合她的男人
"His understanding and temper, though unlike her own,
纵使他的见解 他的脾气 和她自己不是一模一样
"would have answered all her wishes.
可是一定能够叫她称心如意
"It was an union that must have been to the advantage of both.
这个结合对双方都有好处
"By her ease and liveliness,
女方从容活泼
"his mind might have been softened, his manners improved,
可以把男方陶治得心境柔和 作风优雅
"and from his judgment, information and knowledge of the world,
男方精明通达 阅历颇深
"she must have received benefit of greater importance.
也一定会使女方得到莫大的裨益
"But no such happy marriage could
可惜这件幸福的婚姻已无可能
now teach the admiring multitude
天下万千想要缔结真正幸福婚姻的情人
"what connubial felicity really was."
从此也错过了一个借鉴的榜样
汤姆·勒弗罗伊的律师生涯一帆风顺最终荣升爱尔兰首席大法官