Do you have any idea what they were arguing about?
你知道他们在争论些什么吗
D-Do you speak English?
你...你会讲英文吗
Yeah. No, I'm sorry. My German is not very good.
我会 抱歉 我的德文不太好
Have you heard that as couples get older,
你听没听过这个说法
they lose their ability to hear each other?
夫妻会逐渐失去听到对方声音的能力
Well, supposedly, men lose their ability to hear higher-pitched sounds.
据说男人会渐渐听不到高音
And women eventually lose hearing on the low end.
而女人会渐渐听不到低音
- I guess they sort of nullify each other. - I guess.
-算是把对方屏蔽了 -算是吧
Nature's way of allowing couples
大自然就是这么让伴侣们
to grow old together without killing each other.
不要杀掉对方 厮守到老的
What are you reading?
你在读什么书
Ah, yeah.
这本啊艾德沃达夫人 死者 眼睛的历史
Look, I was thinking about going to the lounge car sometime soon.
我准备等下去餐车
- Would you like to come with me? - Yeah.
-你想和我一起去吗 -好啊
So how do you speak such good English?
你的英语怎么说得这么好
I went to school for a summer in Los Angeles.
我在洛杉矶上过暑期学校
- Yeah? - It's fine here?
-这样啊 -坐这可以吗
Yeah, this is good.
好的 就这里吧
Then I spent some time in London.
后来我也在伦敦待过
How do you speak such good English?
你的英语怎么也这么好
Me? I'm American.
我吗 我是美国人
- You're American? - Yeah.
-你是美国人吗 -没错
- Are you sure? - Yeah.
-你确定吗 -确定
I knew you were American.
我知道你是美国人
And of course, you don't speak any other language, right?
你应该也不会讲其他语言了吧
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I get it, I get it.
我懂了 我懂了
So I'm the crude, dumb, vulgar American
所以我就是个美国大老粗
who doesn't speak any other languages, who has no culture, right?
不会讲外语 也没有文化底蕴 对吧
I took French for four years in high school.
我在高中学了四年法语
When I first got to Paris, I stood in line at the Metro station,
我第一次到巴黎时 我在地铁站里排队买票
I was practicing - Une billet, s'il vous plaît..
我不停地练习着 请给我一张车票
- Une billet, s'il vous plaît. - Un billet.
-请给我一张车票 -是Un不是Une
Un, whatever - Un - Un -
Un 好吧 是Un
Un billet, s'il vous plait. Un billet, s'il vous plait.
请给我一张车票 请给我一张车票
And I get up there and I look at this woman
当排到我时 我与那个女人对视的一瞬间
and my mind goes completely blank.
我的大脑突然一片空白
And I start saying,
接着我说了英语
"Ah, listen, I need a ticket to get to, um —" You know.
"那个 我需要一张车票去..."
So where are you headed?
你要去哪儿
Well, back to Paris. My classes start next week.
回巴黎 我下周开学
You're still in school? Where do you go?
所以你还在上学啊 在哪所学校
Yeah. La Sorbonne, you know?
索邦大学 你听说过吗
Are you coming from Budapest?
你是从布达佩斯上车的吗
Yeah, I was visiting my grandmother.
是的 我来探望祖母
- She's all right? - She's fine, yeah.
-身体还好吧 -挺好的
- How about you? Where are you going? - I'm going to Vienna.
-你呢 你要去哪儿 -我要去维也纳
- Vienna? What's there? - I have no idea.
-维也纳 有什么好玩的 -我也不知道
I'm flying out of there tomorrow.
我明天要从那里飞走
Ah. You're on holiday?
所以你是来度假的吗
- Uh, I don't really know what I'm on. - Okay.
-我也不知道这算不算度假 -好吧
I'm just traveling around.
我只是在到处旅行
I've been riding the trains the past two, three weeks.
过去两三周我一直在坐火车
You were visiting friends or just on your own?
你是来看朋友吗 还是独自旅行
You know, I had a friend in Madrid,
我在马德里有个朋友
- but... - Madrid? That's nice.
-只不过... -马德里 那很好啊
Yeah, I got one of those Eurail passes, is what I did.
我买了一张欧铁通票
So, has this trip around Europe been good for you?
这趟欧洲之行你玩得还开心吗
Yeah, sure. Yeah, it's been... It sucked.
当然 这一路...一点都不好玩
- You know... - What?
-其实... -真的吗
No, it's - It hasn't -
其实这趟旅行...不是那么的...
It's had its... Well, I'll tell you. You know.
虽然也有... 我这么跟你说吧
Sitting, you know, for weeks on end, looking out the window
一周周地坐着望向窗外
has actually been kinda great.
其实也挺好的
Well, uh, you know, for inst -
比如说...
You have ideas that you ordinarily wouldn't have.
你会冒出来一些平时不会有的想法
- What kind of ideas? - You wanna hear one?
-什么样的想法 -你想听听吗
- Yeah, tell me. - All right.
-想 给我讲讲 -好吧
I have this idea, okay?
我有这么个想法
For a television show.
制作一档电视节目
Some friends of mine are these cable access producers.
我有些朋友是电视台的制片人
Do you know what that is, cable acc...
你知道有线电视吧...
Anybody can produce a show real cheap,
任何人都能以极低的成本制作一档节目
and they have to put it on. Right?
然后播放出来 对吧
I have this idea for this show that
我想出了这么一档节目
would last 24 hours a day, for a year straight, right?
每天24小时播放 播一整年
What you do is you get 365 people
你需要从全世界不同的城市
from cities all over the world
找来365个人
to do these 24-hour documents of real time,
进行24小时纪实拍摄
capturing life as it's lived.
直播他们一天的生活
You know, it would start with a guy waking up in the morning
先从一个普通人早晨起床开始
and, uh, you know, taking a long shower,
他洗澡花了很久
um, eating a little breakfast, making a little coffee,
吃了点早餐 喝了点咖啡
you know, and, uh, reading the paper.
读了读报纸
Wait, wait, all those mundane, boring things
慢着 就只是这些乏味无趣的
everybody has to do every day of their fucking life?
每天都要做的日常琐事吗
I was gonna say "The poetry of day-to-day life."
我本想说"平凡日子中的诗意"
But you say it the way you say it, I'll say it the way I say it.
但是各人有各人的说法
- But listen, think about it like this. - Who's gonna want to watch this?
-你这样想 -谁会想看这种节目呢
Well, alright. Think about it like this...
你这样想一想...
Why is it that a dog sleeping in the sun is so beautiful?
为什么晒太阳睡觉的狗就是美的
You know? It is. It's beautiful.
这画面确实很美
But a guy standing at a bank machine,
但是站在自动取款机前
trying to take some money out,
想取些钱的人
looks like a complete moron.
就像是个大傻蛋呢
So it's like a National Geographic program, but on people.
所以就是国家地理频道一样的节目 只不过聚焦人类
- What do you think? - I can - I can see it -
-你觉得如何 -我现在...明白了
Like 24 boring hours. Sorry.
就是无聊的24小时 不好意思
And, like, a three-minute sex scene where he falls asleep right after, no?
兴许会有个三分钟性爱 然后直接睡着的片段 对吧
- I mean, that would be a great episode. - Yeah.
-那应该会是很有看头的一集 -没错
People would talk about that episode.
大家一定会争相讨论的
You and your friends could do one in Paris if you wanted to. I mean...
你和你的朋友们可以在巴黎拍一集
The key - The thing that kinda haunts me is,
关键在于 最让我苦恼的是
is the distribution.
节目的分发
Getting these tapes from town to town,
怎么把录像带一个小镇一个小镇
city to city, so that it would play continuously.
一个城市一个城市地分发 不间断地播
'Cause it'd have to play all the time
这节目必须一直播放
or else it just wouldn't work.
不然就达不到目的
You know what? They're not service-oriented.
你知道吗 他们并不太注重服务
Just an observation about Europe.
这只是我对欧洲的一点观察
My parents have never really spoken of the possibility of
我父母从未和我提过
my falling in love or getting married or having children.
我会相爱 结婚 生子这种事
Even as a little girl,
即便在我小时候
they wanted me to think as a future career as a,
他们就想让我思考未来的职业规划
you know, interior designer
比如室内设计师
or lawyer or something like that.
或是律师之类的
I'd say to my Dad, "I want to be a writer,"
我会和我爸说 "我想当一名作家"
And he'd say, "Journalist."
他会说 "记者"
I'd say I wanted to have a refuge for stray cats
我说我想给流浪猫建一个收容所
and he'd say, "Veterinarian."
他会说 "兽医"
I'd say I wanted to be an actress and he'd say, "TV newscaster."
我说我想成为一名演员 他则说 "新闻主播"
It was this constant conversion of my fanciful ambition
他总是会把我充满幻想的抱负
into these practical, moneymaking ventures.
转化为实际 能赚钱的职业
I always had a pretty good bullshit detector when I was a kid.
我小时候总能敏锐地觉察出谁在胡说
I always knew when they were lying to me, you know?
他们每次对我撒谎时我都一清二楚
By the time I was in high school,
我到了高中时
I was dead set on listening to
我下定决心要听听每个人
what everybody thought I should be doing with my life
对我人生的建议
and just kinda... doing the opposite.
然后...偏不那样做
Nobody was ever mean about it.
他们也没有对我冷嘲热讽
It's just...I could never get very excited about
只是...我对于别人对我人生
other people's ambitions for my life.
抱有的种种希望完全不感兴趣
But you know what?
但是你知道吗
If your parents never really fully contradict you about anything
如果你的父母从不反对你做任何事
- and are basically nice and supportive... - Right.
-一直很理解很支持的话 -嗯
it makes it even harder to officially complain.
这样你更难开口抱怨
You know, even when they're wrong.
哪怕他们犯错的时候
It's this passive-aggressive shit. You know what I mean? It's...
就是消极抵抗的感觉 明白吗 就是这种...
I really hate it.
我真的很讨厌这样
Well, you know, despite all that kind of bullshit that comes along with it,
尽管儿时我听到过各种胡扯
I remember childhood as this...
但我记忆中的童年...
you know, this magical time.
依然是一段充满魔力的时光
I remember when, uh, my mother first told me about death.
我记得我妈第一次跟我聊死亡时
My great-grandmother had just died,
我的曾祖母刚过世
and my whole family had just visited them in Florida.
我们全家都去佛罗里达参加葬礼回来
I was about three, three and a half years old.
我那时大概三岁 三岁半
Anyway, I was in the backyard, playing,
我正在后院玩耍
and my sister had just taught me
我姐姐刚教会我
how to take the garden hose and do it in such a way that,
怎么捏着浇花的水管
uh, it sprayed into the sun and it would make a rainbow.
让它朝着太阳喷 制造彩虹
So I was doing that,
我正那样玩着
and through the mist, I could see my grandmother.
透过水雾 我看到了我的祖母
You know? And she was just standing there, smiling at me.
她就站在那里 冲我微笑
And, uh, I held it there for a long time and I looked at her,
我手拿水管在那里站了好久 看着她
and then finally I-I let go of the nozzle.
最终我还是松开了手
You know? And then I dropped the hose.
然后我放下水管
And she disappeared.
她就消失不见了
So I run back inside and I tell my parents.
于是我跑进屋里 把这事告诉了我爸妈
And they, uh, sit me down and give me this big rap
他们让我坐下 然后很认真地跟我讲
on how, when people die,
人去世以后
you never see them again and how I'd imagined it.
你就再也见不到了 那只不过是我想象出的画面
But I knew what I'd seen.
但我知道我看到了什么
I was just glad that I saw it.
我只是很开心我看到了那一幕
I've never seen anything like that since.
之后我再也没有过类似的情况
It just kinda let me know how ambiguous everything was.
只是那件事让我意识到一切都不是非黑即白的
You know, even death.
连死亡也不例外
You're really lucky you can have this attitude toward death.
你对死亡能有这样的态度真好
I think I'm afraid of death 24 hours a day.
我觉得我一天24小时都在担心死亡
That's why I'm in a train right now.
所以我才坐火车
I could have flown to Paris, but I'm too scared.
我本可以坐飞机去巴黎 但是我太害怕了
- Oh, come on. - I can't help it. I can't help it.
-得了吧 -我控制不住 一直会想
I know the statistics say "Na na na," It's safer. Whatever.
我知道数据统计结果说坐飞机其实更安全之类的
When I'm in a plane, I can see it. I can see the explosion.
但我坐进飞机 就仿佛能看到爆炸的画面
I can see me falling through the clouds.
我能看到自己从云层中坠落
And I'm so scared of
我无比惧怕
those few seconds of consciousness before you're gonna die.
死前那几秒意识清醒的时刻
You know, when you know for sure you're gonna die?
当你清楚地意识到自己即将死亡的时候
I can't stop thinking that way.
我会忍不住那样想
- It's - It's exhausting. - Yeah, I bet.
-搞得自己很心累 -那是肯定
- I think this is Vienna. - Yeah.
-这里应该是维也纳 -是啊
- You get off here, no? - Yeah. What a drag.
-你在这里下车 对吧 -是的 真扫兴
I wish I had met you earlier. I really like talking to you.
我要是能早点遇到你就好了 我很喜欢和你聊天
It was really nice talking to you.
和你聊天很开心
I have an admittedly insane idea, but if I don't ask you this,
我有个很疯狂的想法 但是如果我不问你
it's gonna haunt me the rest of my life.
我下半辈子都会后悔的
I want to keep talking to you.
我想继续和你聊天
You know, I have no idea what your situation is.
我不知道你现在是什么状态
But, uh... But I feel like
但是...我感觉
we have some kind of a connection, right?
我们还算挺聊得来的 对吧
- Yeah, me too. - Yeah, right. Well, great.
-我也这么觉得 -好 那就太好了
So listen, here's the deal. This is what we should do.
你看这样行不行 我们这样吧
So you should get off the train with me here in Vienna
你应该和我一起在维也纳下车
and come check out the town.
一起去城里转转
- What? - Come on. It'll be fun. Come on.
-你说什么 -来吧 会很有趣的 一起来吧
- What would we do? - I don't know.
-我们要做些什么 -我也不知道
All I know is I have to catch an
我只知道明天早上九点半
Austrian Airlines flight tomorrow morning at 9:30,
我得赶上奥地利航空的航班
and I don't have enough money for a hotel,
而且我没钱住旅店
so I was just gonna walk around,
所以我就打算四处走走
and it'd be a lot more fun if you came with me.
如果你能和我一起来 就更有意思了
And if I turn out to be some kind of psycho,
如果你发现我其实是个变态
you know, you just get on the next train.
你也可以搭乘下一趟火车离开
All right, think of it like this.
不然你这样想
Uh, jump ahead ten, 20 years. Okay? And you're married.
快进二十年 你已经结婚了
Only your marriage doesn't
只不过你的婚姻已经
have that same energy that it used to have.
失去了往昔的活力
You start to blame your husband.
你开始责备你的丈夫
You start to think about all those guys you've met in your life
你开始回想一生中遇到过的各种男人
and what might have happened if you picked up with one of them, right?
如果你和他们当中的一位在一起 结局会是如何
Well, I'm one of those guys. That's me.
我就是其中一个啊
So think of this as time travel from then to now,
把这想成是从未来穿越回来
to find out what you're missing out on.
看看你都错过了什么
See, what this really could be
这段际遇其实也可能
is a gigantic favor to both you and your future husband
给你和未来的老公帮了一个大忙
to find out that you're not missing out on anything.
让你意识到你没错过什么
I'm just as big a loser as he is,
我其实和他一样是个废柴
totally unmotivated, totally boring,
毫无上进心 非常无趣
and, uh, you made the right choice and you're really happy.
你的选择是正确的 你非常幸福
- Let me get my bag. - Yeah.
-我去拿包 -太棒了
- We should get a locker for all this stuff. - Okay.
-应该找个柜子寄存一下 -好
- What's your name? - My name? Uh, it's Jesse.
-你叫什么名字 -我吗 我叫杰西
It's James, actually, but everybody always calls me Jesse.
其实我的名字是詹姆斯 但是大家都叫我杰西
- You mean Jesse James? - No, no, just Jesse.
-所以你全名是杰西·詹姆斯吗 -不 不 就是杰西
- This is a nice bridge. - Yeah.
-这桥真不错 -是啊
- This is kinda weird. - Yeah, it's kinda weird, isn't it?
-有些怪怪的 -是啊 确实有点怪
I mean, it's a little awkward.
气氛有点尴尬
- But it's all right, right? - Yeah,
-但是还行 对吧 -是
this is great, this is great. Let's go to some places.
很好 很好 我们去逛逛吧
- Look at your book. - We're in Vienna. Let's go to some places.
-看看指南 -我们在维也纳 去逛逛吧
- Look, let's ask these guys. - Okay.
-我们问问这些人吧 -好的
Uh, excuse me. Excuse me.
打扰一下 打扰一下
- Sprechen sie English? - Ja. Of course.
-请问会说英语吗 -当然会
- Could you speak German for a change? - What?
-能麻烦你说德语吗 -什么
No, it was a joke.
不是 开玩笑的
Well, listen, we just got into
是这样 我们今天
Vienna today and we're looking for something fun to do.
刚到维也纳 想找点有趣的事做
Like museums, exhibitions.
比如博物馆 展览
But museums are not that funny anymore these days.
现在的博物馆都没意思了
Uh, and they are closing right now.
而且现在也要闭馆了
- How long are you going to be here? - Just for tonight.
-你们打算待多久 -就今晚
Why did you come to Vienna? What could you be expecting?
你们为什么要来维也纳 有什么想看的吗
We're on honeymoon.
我们正在度蜜月
Yeah. She got pregnant. We had to get married.
是 她怀孕了 我们得结婚
No, I don't believe you. You're a bad liar.
不 我才不信你 你不会撒谎
This is, uh, this is a play we're both in.
这是我们都参与演出的一部戏剧
- And we would like to invite you. - You're actors?
-我们想要邀请你们 -你们是演员
Not professional actors. Part-time actors for fun.
不是职业演员 就是业余兴趣
It's a play about a cow and the Indians searching for it.
这部剧讲的是一头奶牛 和寻找奶牛的印第安人
- There are also politicians, Mexicans, Russians. - Communists.
-里面还有政客 墨西哥人 俄罗斯人 -共产党
- You have a real cow on stage? - No, not a real cow.
-舞台上有真正的奶牛吗 -不 不是真正的奶牛
- It's an actor in a cow costume. - And he is the cow.
-是一位穿着奶牛服装的演员 -他演奶牛
Yes, I am the cow, and the cow is a bit weird.
是 我演奶牛 奶牛有点古怪
The cow has a disease.
奶牛得了病
She's acting a bit strange, like a dog.
她的行为有点古怪 像狗一样
If someone throws a stick, she fetches it and brings it back.
要是有人扔棍子 她会跑过去捡回来
And she can smoke with hooves and everything.
还会用蹄子吸烟等等
- Great. - And as you see, there's the address.
-很好 -可以看到 上面有地址
It's in the Second District.
在第二区
Near the Prater. You know the Prater?
在普拉特附近 你们知道普拉特吗
Ah, the big Ferris wheel.
就是那个大摩天轮
- We should do it. - Everybody knows the wheel.
-我们应该去坐 -大家都知道摩天轮
Perhaps you can go to the
或许你们可以在戏剧开始前
Prater before the play. It starts at 21:30.
去坐摩天轮 21点半开始
- 21:30? - It's 9:30.
-21点半 -就是9点半
- 9:30. - Right, right.
-9点半 -好的 好的
Okay, great. What's the name of this play?
好的 这部戏剧的名字是什么
It translates as Bring Me The Horns of Wilmington's Cow.
翻译过来就是《给我找来威尔明顿奶牛的角》
- I'm Wilmington's cow. - All right.
-我演威尔明顿奶牛 -好的
- Will you be there? - We'll try.
-你们会来吗 -我们尽量去
- I'm the cow. - You're the...
-我演奶牛 -你演...
- I got an idea. Are you ready? - Yeah.
-我有个主意 准备好了吗 -嗯
It's Q & A time. We've known each other a little while now.
互相问答 我们已经认识一段时间了
We're stuck together, so we're gonna ask each other
我们一直在一起 所以可以问彼此
a few direct questions.
一些直接的问题
- All right? - So we ask each other questions.
-好吗 -我们要互相问问题
- And you have to answer 100% honestly. - Of course.
-要完全坦诚地回答 -好的
- Okay. All right, first question. - You.
-好的 第一个问题 -你问
Describe for me... Yes, I'm going to ask you.
向我描述...是 我要问你了
Describe for me your first sexual feelings towards a person.
向我描述你对别人的第一次性冲动
My first sexual feelings. Oh, my God.
我的第一次性冲动 天啊
I know, I know.
我知道了 我知道了
Jean-Marc Fleury.
让-马克·弗勒里
Jean-Marc Fleury?
让-马克·弗勒里
We were at this summer camp together, and he was a swimmer.
我们当时一起参加夏令营 他是游泳选手
He had bleached-out chlorine hair and green eyes.
他的头发被氯漂白了 眼睛是绿色的
And to improve his times,
为了提高成绩
he'd shave the hair off his legs and arms.
他把四肢的体毛都剃了
- That's disgusting. - Oh, no. He was like this gorgeous dolphin.
-好恶心 -不 他就像一只特别帅的海豚
And my friend Emma had a big, big crush on him.
我的朋友艾玛对他很心动
So one day I was cutting across the field back to my room
有一天我从运动场抄近路回房间
and he came walking up beside me.
他走到了我身边
You know, and I told him, "You know, you should
我告诉他 "你应该
date Emma because she has a big crush on you."
约艾玛出去 因为她很喜欢你"
And he turned to me and said, "Well, that's too bad,
然后他转身对我说 "那太遗憾了
because I have a big crush on you."
因为我很喜欢你"
It really scared the hell out of me because I thought he was so fine.
我差点吓死了 我觉得他那么帅
And then he officially asked me out on a date.
然后他正式约我出去
You know, I pretended I didn't like him.
我假装我不喜欢他
You know, I was so afraid of, you know, what I might do, you know.
我很害怕我可能会做出什么
So, you know, I went to see him swim a few times
我去看过几次
at the swimming competition.
他参加的游泳比赛
He was so sexy, really. I mean really sexy.
他非常性感 真的 非常性感
You know, we kind of
我们在暑假结束时
wrote these little declarations of love to each other
给彼此写了爱的宣言
at the end of the summer
之类的东西
and you know, promised we would keep writing forever and,
并承诺要永远保持通信
like, meet again very soon.
很快要再见面
- Did you? - Of course not.
-见了吗 -当然没有
Well, then I think this is the opportune time to tell you
那现在正好可以告诉你
that I happen to be a fantastic swimmer.
我刚好是名厉害的游泳选手
- Really? - Yeah.
-是吗 -是的
- I'll make note of that. - Okay. Uh...
-我会记下来的 -好的
- So it's my turn, no? - All right. Yes, your turn.
-到我了吧 不是吗 -好的 到你了
Have you ever been in love?
你爱过别人吗
Yes. Next question.
爱过 下一个问题
- What was the first... - Wait a minute.
-你第一次... -等等
- So we can give one-word answers? - Sure. Why not?
-我们可以只回答是否吗 -当然 有何不可呢
No, no. After I went into such
不行 我刚才
private details about my first sexual feelings?
对我的第一次性冲动和盘托出
I know, but sexual, those are two very different questions.
是 但这是两个很不一样的问题
I could answer the sexual feelings thing, no problem,
我可以回答性冲动之类的问题 都可以
but you know, love...
但关于爱...
What if I asked you about love?
那我问你爱的问题呢
I would have lied, but at least
我会撒谎 但至少
- I would have made up a great story. - You would've lied!
-我会编一个很好的故事 -你会撒谎
Great. Love is a complex issue. You know...
很好 爱是一件复杂的事情
I mean, it's like, um...
就像是...
I have told somebody that I loved them before, and I had meant it.
我之前和别人说过爱 而且我是真心的
You know, but was it totally unselfish, giving love?
但那是完全无私奉献的爱
Was it a beautiful thing? Not really.
是美好的爱吗 并不是
I mean, I don't know.
我不知道
Yeah, I know what you mean.
是 我明白你的意思
But as far as sexual feelings go,
但说到性冲动
I'll have you know it started
我的第一次
with an obsessive relationship with Miss July 1978.
是对1978年七月小姐的迷恋
- Do you know Playboy magazine? - Yeah, I've heard of it.
-你知道《花花公子》杂志吗 -我听说过
- Do you know Crystal? - No.
-你认识克丽丝托吗 -不知道
You don't know Crystal? Well, I knew Crystal.
你不认识吗 好吧 我认识
Um, is it my turn now?
到我了吗
Okay, tell me something that really pisses you off,
好的 说一件会惹你生气的事
really drives you crazy.
让你抓狂的事
- Pisses me off? Everything pisses me off. - Okay, list a couple.
-惹我生气 什么事都会惹我生气 -举几个例子
Um... Wait, I know.
等等 我知道了
I hate being told by strange men, a
我讨厌陌生人
strange man in the street...
街上的陌生人告诉我...
You know, like, to smile
要微笑
to make them feel better about their boring life.
让他们对自己无聊的人生感觉好点
I hate... I hate that 300 kilometers from here,
我讨厌...我讨厌300千米之外
there's a war going on,
正有一场战争
people are dying and nobody knows what to do about it.
有人在死去 而没人知道该怎么阻止
Or they don't give a shit, I don't know.
或者他们完全不在乎 我不清楚
I hate that the medias...
我讨厌媒体...
You know, they're trying to control our minds.
他们试图控制我们的思想
- The media? - Yeah, the media.
-媒体 -是 媒体
You know, it's very subtle, but it's a new form of fascism, really.
非常微妙 但是一种新形式的法西斯主义
I hate when I'm in a foreign country,
我讨厌去外国
especially in America... They're the worst.
尤其是美国...最差劲了
Each time I wear black or
我每次穿黑色衣服
lose my temper or say anything about anything,
发脾气 或是对什么事发表看法
they always go, "Oh, it's so French, it's so cute."
他们总是说 "好法式啊 真可爱"
I hate that. I can't stand it, really.
我讨厌这点 我受不了 真的
- Is that all? - Well, there's a lot of things, but...
-就这些吗 -有很多事 但是...
- So, it's my turn. - Okay.
-到我了 -好的
- You're gonna answer? - Yes, I'll answer.
-你要回答了 -是 我回答
- Uh, what's a problem for you? - You, probably.
-你有什么问题 -或许是你吧
No. I had a thought the
不 我前几天有个想法
other day that kind of qualifies as a problem.
可以算是一个问题吧
- What is it? - It was a thought I had on the train.
-是什么 -是我在火车上想到的
So okay, all right.
好吧 好吧
Um, do you believe in reincarnation?
你相信轮回吗
- Yeah, yeah. It's interesting. - Yeah. Right.
-是 是 很有趣 -好
Most people, you know,
多数人
a lot of people talk about past lives and things like that.
很多人都在说前世之类的事
You know, and even if they don't believe it in some specific way,
即使大家不是那样迷信灵魂的存在
people have some kind of notion of an eternal soul, right?
但也对不朽的灵魂有自己的理解 对吧
- Yeah. - Okay. Well, this was my thought.
-对 -好的 我是这么想的
there were not even a million people on the planet.
地球上的人还不到100万
10,000 years ago, there's,
一万年前
like, two million people on the planet.
地球上有200万人口
Now there's between five and six billion people on the planet, right?
现在地球上的人口在50到60亿之间 对吧
Now, if we all have our own individual, unique soul,
如果我们都有自己独立而独特的灵魂
where do they all come from?
这么多灵魂都是哪里来的呢
Are modern souls only a fraction of the original souls?
现代的灵魂是从原始灵魂里分出来的吗
'Cause if they are, that represents a 5,000-to-1 split
因为如果是的话 那就代表着过去五万年里
of each soul in just the last 50,000 years,
每一个灵魂都要分裂成五千个
which is like a blip in the earth's time.
但五万年对地球也只是一瞬间
So at best, we're like these tiny fractions of people walking...
所以充其量 我们就是一群分出来的灵魂...
Is that why we're so scattered?
所以我们才这么分散
Is that why we're all so specialized?
所以我们才这么各有所长
Wait a minute. I'm not sure...
等等 我不确定...
- I don't agree... - I know, I know.
-我不同意... -我知道 我知道
It's a totally scattered thought.
我这完全是随便想想
Which is kinda why it makes sense, you know?
所以才有点道理 是吧
Let's get off this damn train.
我们下车吧
- This place is pretty neat. - Yeah.
-这地方真不错 -是的
There's even a listening booth over there.
那边还有个试听间
Have you ever heard of this singer?
你听说过这个歌手吗
I think she's American. A friend of mine told me about her.
她好像是美国人 我有个朋友和我提过
Do you wanna go and see if that listening booth still works?
你想去看看那个试听间还开着吗
♬There's wind that blows in from the north♬
♬And it says that loving takes this course♬
♬No I'm not impossible to touch♬
♬I have never wanted you so much♬
♬Have I never laid down by your side♬
♬Baby, let's forget about this pride♬
Look at this. This is beautiful.
看看这 真美
Quick! It's leaving!
快点 要走了
♬Don't have to run away this time♬
♬But it's gonna be all right this time♬
Oh, look, there's a rabbit.
看 那有一只兔子
Hey there, rabbit.
你好呀 兔子
I visited this as a young teenager.
我十几岁的时候来过这里
I think it left a bigger impression on me at that time
我觉得那次它给我留下的印象
than any of the museums we went to.
比任何博物馆都深刻
There was this little old man that talked to us.
和我们说话的是位矮矮的老人
He was the groundskeeper.
他是管理员
He explained that most of the people buried here,
他说大多数埋在这里的人
they'd washed up on the bank of the Danube.
都是被冲上多瑙河岸的
How old are these?
这里有多少年头了
Around the beginning of the century or so.
大约本世纪初建的
It's called "Cemetery of the No-Name"
它叫"无名公墓"
because they often didn't really know
因为通常都不清楚
who those people were... Maybe a first name, that's all.
这些人是谁 或许知道姓什么 仅此而已
Why were all the bodies washing up?
这些遗体为什么会被冲上来
I think some were from accidents on boats and things like that.
有些人应该是经历了船难之类的事
But most of them were suicides that jumped in the river.
但大多是都是跳河自杀的
I always liked the idea of
我总是喜欢
all those unknown people lost in the world.
这些无名者消失在世界上的想法
When I was a little girl, I thought
我小时候 就想
that if none of your family or friends knew you were dead,
如果家人和朋友没人知道你死了
then it's like not really being dead.
那你就不算是真的死了
People can invent the best and the worst for you.
人们可以为你创造出最好与最坏的经历
Ah, here she is, I think.
她应该是在这里
Yeah, this is the one I remember the most.
对 这个我记得最清楚
She was only 13 when she died.
她死的时候才13岁
That meant something to me. I was that age when I first saw this.
触动了我 我第一次看到时也是13岁
Now I'm ten years older and she's still 13, I guess.
我现在长了10岁 她还是13岁吧
That's the Danube over there.
那边就是多瑙河
- That's a river, right? - Yeah.
-是一条河吧 -对
Yeah, this is beautiful.
是的 很美
And we got, uh... We got a sunset here.
能看到...能看到落日
- Yeah. - We got the Ferris wheel...
-是 -还有摩天轮...
this would be, uh...
这会是...
Are you trying to say you want to kiss me?
你是想说你想吻我吗
- But you know what? - What?
-但你知道吗 -什么
I don't think it really matters what generation you're born into.
我觉得生于哪个年代不是很重要
They were these angry, young May '68 people
他们参加了1968年5月的游行
revolting against everything...
反叛一切事物
you know, the government, their conservative Catholic backgrounds.
包括政府 他们保守的天主教背景
I was born not long after.
我在之后不久出生
Then my father went on to become this successful architect
然后我父亲成为了一名成功的建筑师
and we began to travel all around the world
我们开始到世界各地游历
while he built bridges and towers and stuff.
同时他建造桥梁和塔之类的东西
I mean, I really can't complain about anything.
我什么都不能抱怨
You know, they love me more than anything in the world.
他们爱我胜过这世上的一切
I've been raised with all the freedom they had fought for.
他们当年为之奋斗的自由 我成长过程中全都有
And yet, for me now, it's another type of fight.
而现在对我来说 又是另一种战斗
We still have to deal with the same old shit,
我们还是要去应对原来的问题
but we can't really know
但我们无法确切知道
who or what the enemy is.
敌方是谁 是什么
I don't know if there really is an enemy. You know?
我不确定究竟有没有敌方
Everybody's parents fucked them up.
每个人的父母都把他们害得不惨
Rich kids' parents gave them too much, poor kids not enough.
富人家给孩子太多 穷人家给的太少
Um, you know, too much attention, not enough attention.
关注太多 关注不够
They either left them, or they stuck around,
要不就是离开了孩子 要不就是留下来
taught 'em the wrong things.
教了错误的内容
I mean, my parents are just these two people
我的爸爸妈妈就是两个普通人
who didn't like each other very much,
并没有很喜欢彼此
who decided to get married and have a kid.
但还是决定结婚生子
And they try their best to be nice to me.
他们也尽力在对我好了
- Did your parents divorce? - Yeah, finally.
-你爸妈离婚了吗 -最后离了
They should've done it a lot sooner,
他们早就应该离的
but they stuck together for a while
但还是将就了一段时间
for the well-being of my sister and I, thank you very much.
为了我和姐姐着想 还真是谢谢他们了
I remember my mother once...
记得有一次 我妈
She told me right in front of my father,
她当着我爸的面对我说
they were having this big fight that he didn't really want to have me,
他们大吵过一架 我爸不想要我
that he was really pissed off
在知道妈妈怀了我之后
when he found out that she was pregnant with me,
他勃然大怒
that I was this big mistake.
说我就是个错误
That really shaped the way I think.
那件事改变了我的观念
I always saw the world as this place where I really wasn't meant to be.
我总觉得我本不该出现在这世上
Well, I mean, I eventually took pride in it,
不过后来我甚至以此为荣
like my life was my own doing or something,
就好像我的人生是我自己创造的
like I was crashing the big party.
我是人间的不速之客
That's the way to see it.
这样看待就对了
My parents, they're still married,
我爸妈没有离婚
and I guess they're very happy.
我猜他们很幸福
But I think it's a healthy process
但我觉得
to rebel against everything that came before.
时不时地推翻过去也是挺必要的
Yeah. Yeah. But...
说得对 但是
I've been wondering lately.
我最近一直在想
Do you know anyone who's in a happy relationship?
你认识婚姻幸福的人吗
I know happy couples.
我认识几对恩爱夫妻
But I think they lie to each other.
但我觉得他们在互相欺骗
People can live their whole life as a lie.
人们可以一生都生活在谎言之中
My grandmother, she was married to this man,
我奶奶嫁给了一个人
and I always thought she had a very simple and uncomplicated love life.
我一直以为她的感情生活简单幸福
But she just confessed to me
但后来她向我坦白
that she spent her whole life
她深爱的另有其人
dreaming about another man she was always in love with.
这辈子都在想念着他
She just accepted her fate. It's so sad.
她只是向命运妥协了 真可怜
In the same time, I love the idea that she had those emotions and feelings
但同时我又很高兴 她有过那些
I never thought she would have had.
我以为她从未有过的情愫和感觉
I guarantee you, it was better that way.
我向你保证 这才是最好的结果
If she'd ever got to know him,
如果她深入了解了那个人
I'm sure he would have disappointed her eventually.
我保证她最后会对他失望
How do you know? You don't know them.
你怎么知道 你又不认识他们
It's just, people have these romantic projections they put on everything
人们会对一切事物进行浪漫化的设想
that's not based on any kind of reality.
而并非基于现实
- Romantic projections? - Yeah.
-浪漫化的设想 -没错
Oh, Mr. Romantic up there on the Ferris wheel
刚才是哪位浪漫先生在摩天轮上感慨
"Oh, kiss me. The sunset. Oh, it's so beautiful."
"快吻我 日落太美了"
All right, all right.
好了好了
Tell me about your grandmother. What were you saying about her?
继续聊你奶奶吧 你刚才说她什么来着
Hey, check these guys out.
你看他们
"Hey, Hans, I have a confession to make.
"汉斯 我要忏悔"
I'm not wearing any underwear underneath this thing."
"我里面没有穿内裤"
"Oh, really? Does that frighten you?"
"是吗 你害怕了吗"
- Can I tell you a secret? - Yeah.
-我能跟你说个秘密吗 -好
- Come here. - What?
-过来 -什么
Look at this palm reader. She's interesting-looking, no?
瞧那个看手相的 她看起来很有趣 不是吗
- I just made eye contact. - She's not coming over?
-她看到我了 -她不会过来吧
- Yeah, she is. - Oh, shit.
-当然会 -该死
- Oh, no. - Oh, my God.
-不 -天哪
- You want your palm read? - No. Not at all.
-你想看手相吗 -一点也不想
- Are you sure? - I'm sure.
-你确定吗 -确定
Uh, Français, English?
法语 英语
I want your palm read.
我来看看你的手相
Yeah. How much is it?
好 多少钱
For you, 50. Okay?
你的话给五十 好吗
So you have been on a journey
你在旅行
and you are a stranger to this place.
而且是第一次来这个地方
You are an adventurer,
你是一个冒险家
an adventurer in your mind.
你心里有个冒险家
You are interested in the power of the woman,
你对女性的力量很感兴趣
in a woman's deep strength and creativity.
女性深层次的力量和创造力
You're becoming this woman.
你正在成为这种女人
But you need to resign yourself to the awkwardness of life.
但你需要接受生活的怪诞
Only if you find peace within yourself
只有找到自己内心的平静
will you find true connection with others.
你才能真正与他人建立共鸣
- He is a stranger to you? - Mmm, I guess so.
-你们不认识对吗 -大概是的
You will be all right. He's learning.
你不用担心 他正在学习
You're both stardust.
你们都是星尘
When the stars exploded billions of years ago,
几十亿年前恒星爆炸
they formed everything that is this world.
星尘化作世间万物
Everything we know is stardust.
我们所知的一切都是星尘
So don't forget you are stardust.
所以记住你们也是
I mean, that's very nice and all,
她说的很好
I mean, that we're all stardust and you're becoming this great woman.
我们都是星尘 而你正成为一名伟大的女性
But I hope you don't take that any more seriously
但我希望你不要觉得
than some horoscope in a daily syndicated newspaper.
她的话会比报纸上的占星术更准
What are you talking about?
你说什么呢
She knew I was on vacation and that we didn't know each other
她知道我在度假 我们不认识对方
and that I was going to become this great woman.
还有我会成为一名伟大的女性
But what was that "I am learning" bullshit?
但是那句"我正在学习"也太扯了吧
That's way condescending, you know?
也太居高临下了
She wasn't even doing me.
她都没仔细看我的手相
I mean, if opportunists like that ever had to tell the real truth,
如果让她那样的投机者说真话
it would put their asses out of business.
他们就赚不到钱了
Just once I'd love to see some little old lady
我想看一个小老太太
save up all her money to go to the fortune-teller,
把一辈子的积蓄交给占卜师
she'd get there all excited about hearing her future
她兴奋无比 准备聆听自己的未来
and the woman would say,
结果那个女人说
"Tomorrow and all your remaining days
"明天以及你余下的每一天
"will be exactly like today,
"都会和今天一样
"a tedious collection of hours.
"无聊乏味
"And you will have no new passions and no new thoughts
"你不会有新的爱好 新的想法
"and no new travels.
"和新的旅程
"And when you die, you'll be completely forgotten."
"等你死了 所有人都会将你遗忘
"Fifty schillings, please."
"五十先令 谢谢"
That I'd like to see.
我想看到这个
It's so funny how she almost didn't notice you, huh?
她几乎没有注意到你 真有意思
It's weird. I wonder why.
好奇怪 为什么呢
- She was really wise and intense. - Wise?Yeah?
-她既睿智又热情 -睿智 是吗
- I really love what she said. - Of course you do.
-我真的很喜欢她说的话 -你当然喜欢了
you hear something that makes you feel good about yourself.
又听到了一些让你自我感觉良好的话
If you want, there's a seedy section of Vienna
不如我们去找找维也纳有没有地方
we can buy a hit of crack.
能买到白粉什么的
Would you like that? Huh? Yeah?
你要来一点吗 要吗
Stardust! Stardust!
星尘 星尘
Oh, there's an exhibition.
有个展览
Yup, I guess we'll miss it.
看来去不成了
Doesn't start until next week.
下周才开始
I actually saw this one a few years ago in a museum.
几年前我在一家博物馆里见过这个修拉
I actually saw this one a few years ago in a museum.
几年前我在一家博物馆里见过这个
I stared and stared at it. Must have been 45 minutes.
我一直盯着它 看了得有四十五分钟
"La Voie Ferrée." That's great.
《铁路》 真好
I love the way the people seem to be dissolving into the background.
我喜欢这种将人物虚化 融入背景的画法
It's like the environment's, you know, stronger than the people.
就像在表达环境强于人类
His human figures are always so transitory.
他所画的人物总是转瞬即逝
It's funny. Transitory?
有意思 转瞬即逝
- You think this is open? - I don't know. Let's try it.
-你说这里开门了没 -不知道 去看看
I was in an old church like this with my grandmother
我和奶奶到过一个和这里很像的老教堂
a few days ago in Budapest.
就是几天前 在布达佩斯
Even though I reject most of the religious thing,
即便大部分和宗教有关的东西我都不喜欢
I can't help but feeling for all those people
但我就是能感受到这里面
that come here, lost or in pain, guilt,
迷失 或是痛苦 愧疚的人们
looking for some kind of answers.
想来这里寻求某种答案
It fascinates me how a single place can join so much pain and happiness
一个教堂竟能装下人们世世代代的悲喜
for so many generations.
真是让我着迷
You close with your grandmother?
你和你奶奶很亲近
I think it's because I always have this strange feeling
我想是因为我总有一种奇怪的感觉
that I'm this very old woman, laying down, about to die.
我是一个躺在床上行将就木的老妇人
You know, that my life is just memories or something.
我的一生只是一段回忆
I mean, I always think that I'm still this 13-year-old boy
我总以为自己还是个十三岁的小男孩
who doesn't really know how to be an adult,
不懂得如何做一个大人
pretending to live my life,
故作成熟地生活
taking notes for when I'll really have to do it.
悄悄记下来什么时候该做什么事
Kind of like I'm in a dress rehearsal for a junior high play.
就好像是初中舞台剧的带妆彩排
Then up there in the Ferris wheel was, like,
那在摩天轮上
this very old woman kissing this very young boy. Right?
就是一个老妇人在亲吻一个小男孩 是吗
Do you know anything about the Quakers? The Quaker religion?
你了解贵格会吗 一个教派
No, not much. No?
不了解 怎么了
I went to this Quaker wedding once.
我参加过一次贵格会教徒的婚礼
What they do is the couple comes in
新人入场后
and they kneel down in front of the whole congregation,
会跪在全体会众面前
and they just stare at each other.
然后注视对方
And nobody says a word
谁都不能说话
unless they feel that God moves them to speak or say something.
除非感受到上帝让他们开口
And then after an hour or so of just, uh, staring at each other,
保持那样的状态差不多一个小时之后
That's beautiful. I like that.
好美 我喜欢
This is a horrible story.
有个可怕的故事
- It's not the appropriate place to tell it, but... - What?
-在这里说不合适 可是 -什么
I was driving around with this buddy of mine.
我曾和一个朋友开车到处闲逛
He's a big atheist.
他是个无神论者
And we came to a stop next to this homeless guy.
我们停在一个流浪汉旁边
My buddy takes out a hundred-dollar bill,
我朋友掏出一张一百块的纸币
he leans out of the window and he says,
伸出车窗外 问
"Do you believe in God?"
"你相信上帝吗"
The guy looks at my friend, he looks at the money,
那家伙看了看我朋友又看了看钱
My friend says, "Wrong answer." We drove away.
我朋友说"回答错误" 然后就开走了
- That's mean, no? - Yeah. Yeah.
-太刻薄了吧 -对
Would you be in Paris by now
要是没跟着我下车的话
if you hadn't gotten off the train with me?
你现在应该在巴黎了吧
What would you be doing?
要是那样你会做什么
I'd probably be hanging around the airport,
我可能会在机场随便晃悠
reading old magazines,
翻翻旧杂志
crying in my coffee 'cause you didn't come with me.
边喝咖啡边哭 因为你不肯跟我走
Actually, I think I'd probably
其实我觉得我可能
gotten off the train in Salzburg with someone else.
就会跟着别人在萨尔茨堡下车了
Oh, yeah? Oh, I see.
是吗 我知道了
So I'm just a dumb American
敢情我就是你随便捡来
momentarily decorating your blank canvas, huh?
丰富人生经历的愚蠢美国人是吧
- I'm having a great time. - Really?
-我今天很开心 -真的吗
- Yeah. - Me too.
-真的 -我也是
I'm so glad because no one knows I'm here,
我很开心因为没人知道我在这
and I don't know anyone
而且我也不认识
that knows you that would tell me all the bad things you've done.
认识你 还会跟我说你做过的混账事的人
- I'll tell you some. - Yeah, I'm sure.
-我可以跟你说说 -好啊
You know, you hear so much shit about people.
知道吗 听过太多别人的事之后
I always feel like the general of an army when I start dating a guy,
每次跟别人约会 我就感觉自己像个将军
plotting my strategy and maneuverings,
制订我的战略计划
knowing his weak points, what would hurt him, seduce him.
了解他的弱点 什么东西能伤害他或诱惑他
If we were around each other all the time,
如果我们一直在一起
what would be the first thing about me that would drive you mad?
你会最先受不了我身上的哪点
Mmm?Uh, no, no. I'm not going to answer this question.
不 不 我拒绝回答这个问题
I just, I dated this girl once who used to always ask me that.
我有个前女友就一直追问我这个问题
"What about me bugs you?" you know?
"我什么地方让你觉得不满意"
So finally I said, "Well,
最后没办法 我说
I don't think you handle criticism too well."
"我觉得你不能正确看待批评"
She flew into a rage and broke up with me. That's a true story.
结果她勃然大怒 跟我分手了 这是真事
All she ever really wanted to do was to have an excuse to tell me
但其实她只是想找个借口跟我说
what she thought was wrong with me.
她觉得我有哪里做得不对
- Is that what you want? - What?
-你也是这么想的吗 -什么
- Something about me bugs you? - No.
-我有哪里让你不满意了吗 -没有
Tell me. What is it about me bugs you?
说嘛 我哪里让你不满意了
Nothing. Nothing at all.
完全没有
What if it had to be something, what would it be?
如果非要说的话 是什么
If it had to be something, if I had to think about it,
如果非要说 非要我想的话
I kind of didn't really like this reaction back at the palm reader.
我不太喜欢看手相的时候你的反应
You were like this rooster prick.
你就像一只好斗的公鸡
Rooster prick? What the hell is a rooster prick?
好斗的公鸡 那是什么玩意儿
You were like a little boy whining
你就像是一个因为没有得到关注
because all the attention wasn't focused on him.
就发牢骚抱怨的小男孩
Listen, this woman robs you blind, okay?
你被那个女人宰了知道吗
You were like a little boy, walking by an ice cream store,
你就像一个小男孩 经过一家冰淇淋店
crying because his mother wouldn't buy him a milk shake or something.
因为妈妈不给你买奶昔就嗷嗷大哭
- I don't care what the charlatan has to say about it? - Hello.
-我完全不在乎那个神棍说什么 -你们好
Oh. I understand a little bit.
我懂一点点
But he doesn't at all. I'm sorry.
但他完全不懂 不好意思
May I ask you a question?
我可以问你一个问题吗
So, I would like to make a deal with you.
我想跟你做个交易
I mean, instead of just asking you for money,
不想直接问你们要钱
I will ask you for a word.
我想让你说一个词
You give me a word. I'll take the word.
你告诉我一个词
Then I will write a poem with the word inside.
我写一首包含这个词的诗
And if you like it, I mean, if you like my poem,
如果你喜欢我的诗的话
if you feel it adds something to your life in any way,
如果你觉得它为你的生活增添了点什么
then you can pay me whatever you feel like.
你再付点钱给我 多少钱都可以
I write in English, of course.
当然了 是用英文写
- Okay. - All right. Great.
-没问题 -好的
A word. Um... milkshake.
一个词 奶昔
Milkshake. Oh, good. I was gonna say "Rooster prick."
奶昔 挺好 我还准备说好斗的公鸡
But great. Milk shake.
但奶昔也挺好的
Milkshake? Okay. Milkshake.
奶昔吗 好吧 就奶昔
- All right, so, we'll... - Good.
-那我们就... -好的
Gotta say I like this Viennese variation of a bum.
我还挺喜欢维也纳这种特有的流浪汉
I like what he said about adding something to your life, no?
我喜欢他说的那句 "给你的生活增添点什么"
So, uh, were we having our first fight back there?
我们刚刚算第一次吵架吗
- No. - Yeah, I think so.
-不算 -可我觉得是
I think we were.
我觉得我们刚是在吵
Even if we were a little bit,
即使是吵了一下下
why does everyone think conflict is so bad?
为什么大家都要觉得起冲突是不好的
There's a lot of good things coming out of conflict.
在冲突中也会产生很多好事啊
Yeah. Yeah, I guess so. I don't know.
或许吧 我也不清楚
I always think if I could just accept
我总是觉得要是我能甘心接受
the fact that my life was supposed to be difficult,
我的生活注定艰难
that's what's to be expected,
没有任何盼头
then I might not get so pissed off about it
那我就不会对生活有诸多不满
and I'd be glad when something nice happens.
有了好事 我也更能体会到快乐
Maybe that's why I'm still in school.
或许这也是为什么我还在上学
It's easier to have something to fight against.
更容易找到抗争的对象
Yeah, well, we've all had such competitiveness ingrained in us.
竞争的观念如此根深蒂固
I can be doing the most nothing thing.
我可能在做最没有意义的事情
I can be throwing some darts, shooting some pool,
在玩飞镖 在打台球
and all of a sudden I feel it come over me
然而突然之间 有个念头出现在我脑海中
I have got to win.
我一定要成功
Is that why you tried to get me off the train? Competitiveness?
所以你才要我和你一起下车吗 竞争
- What do you mean? - Okay.
-什么意思 -好了
Will you read it to us?
你可以读给我们吗
"Daydream delusion,
"白日幻像
Oh, baby, with your pretty face.
你美丽的面庞
Drop a tear in my wine glass.
泪滴落了我的酒杯
Look at those big eyes.
你的深眸
See what you mean to me?
你是我的什么
sweet cakes and milk shakes.
甜甜的蛋糕 和奶昔
I'm a delusion angel.
我是幻境天使
I'm a fantasy parade.
仙境的花车
I want you to know what I think.
我要对你坦白
Don't want you to guess anymore.
不用再猜测
You have no idea where I came from.
你不知道我从何而来
We have no idea where we're going.
我们不知道自己去向何处
Lodged in life like branches in the river.
投身生活的大河
Flowing downstream, caught in the current.
顺势前行 随波逐流
I'll carry you. You'll carry me.
我们携手同行
That's how it could be.
我们可以一起
Don't you know me?
你明白我的心了吗
Don't you know me by now?"
你明白了吗"
- Thanks. - Thanks, man.
-谢谢你 -多谢了
- Thanks. - All right.
-谢谢 -不客气
- Here. Thank you. - Thank you.
-给你 谢谢 -谢谢
- Good luck, man. - Bye.
-保重 兄弟 -再见
- That's wonderful, no? - Yeah, yeah.
-诗写得真好 -是啊
- What? - You know he probably didn't just write that.
-怎么了 -你知道他应该不是即兴创作的吧
He wrote it, but he probably just plugs that word in?
是他写的 但大概只是加了你给的词进去
You know whatever milk shake.
奶昔 什么的
Nothing. I loved it. It was great.
没什么 我很喜欢这首诗 写得很好
- You know what drives me crazy? - What?
-你知道我受不了什么吗 -什么
There's all these people talking
大家都说科技多么好
about how great technology is and how it saves time.
怎么帮大家节省时间
But what good is saved time if nobody uses it,
但如果大家没好好利用节省下的时间
if it just turns into more busy work?
而只是进行更多繁忙的工作 又有什么意义
You never hear somebody say,
你不会听人说
"Well, with the time I've saved by using my word processor,
"因为使用电脑而节省下的时间
I'm gonna go to a Zen monastery and hang out."
我要去禅寺修行一段时间"
You don't hear that.
你不会听人这样说
Time is abstract anyway.
时间这个概念太抽象了
- Were you looking at this girl? - What?
-你刚是在打量那个姑娘吗 -什么
- You want to go in here? - What?
-你想要进去吗 -什么
- You want to go in here? - Yeah. It's a club, no?
-你想要进去吗 -是个夜店吧
- You want to go? - Yeah.
-你想去吗 -好啊
- Fifty schillings. - Each.
-五十先令 -每人
I got a hundred. Here. I got it.
我这里有一百先令 给你 我来吧
I'll buy you a beer. Thank you.
我给你买杯啤酒 谢谢
- You gonna buy me a beer? - Yeah.
-你要给我买杯啤酒吗 -对
You think Old Milwaukee is expensive here?
这的老密尔沃基啤酒会贵吗
We haven't talked about this yet, but are you dating anyone?
我们还没聊到这个 但是你现在有和人交往吗
You got a boyfriend waiting on you back in Paris or anything like that?
在巴黎有男朋友等你回去吗
- No, not right now. - Not right? But you did.
-暂时没有 -暂时没有 但之前有
We broke up about six months ago.
我们六个月前分手了
- Six months? - Yeah.
-六个月 -是的
I mean, I'm not that sorry. But tell me about him.
其实也不是那么抱歉吧 跟我说说他
Oh, no. No way. I can't.
绝对不要 我不行
- It's really really boring. - Come on, tell me about him.
-很没劲的 -说说嘛
Okay. I was really disappointed.
我真的很失望了
I thought this one would last for a while.
我以为可以和他长久的
I mean, he was very stupid, ugly, bad in bed,
即使他又蠢 长得也不好看 活又差
- A real prizewinner. - Yeah.
-真是一朵奇葩啊 -是的
I was kind of giving him a favor, but he left me,
我算是同情他 他却离我而去
saying I loved him too much
说我爱的太深
and, you know, I was blocking his artistic expression and stuff.
让他没有了艺术创作的灵感
Shit like that, you know.
这之类的屁话
But anyway, I was traumatized and became...
我有些受伤
And became totally obsessed with him.
变得对他很痴迷
And so I went to see this shrink,
所以我去看了心理医生
you know, and it came up that I had written
结果我写了一篇
this little, stupid story
挺无聊的小故事
about this woman trying to kill her boyfriend...
一个女人想要杀死自己男朋友...
and how she was gonna do it, you know, all the intricate details.
要如何操作 所有的细节
How to do it and not get caught.
如何杀人而不被抓
She was gonna kill her boyfriend?
她想杀死自己的男朋友
Yeah, she was. I mean...
是的 她是那么打算的
It's nothing I would do, but it was just some writing.
我不会那么做的 不过是写着玩玩
Anyway, this stupid shrink believed everything I was telling her.
这个蠢货心理医生却全都信了
It was my first time seeing her.
我第一次见她
She said she had to call the police.
她说她得报警
She had to call the police?
得报警
She was... Merde! She was
她就像 妈的 她就像
totally convinced I was really gonna do it.
完全相信我会真的去杀人
Even though I'd explained
即使我跟她解释了
to her it was just some writing and stuff.
不过是写的小说而已
She said, looking deep into my eyes, "The way you said it.
她直视着我的眼睛 对我说 "你表达的方式
I know you are going to do it, the way you said it!"
让我觉得你会下手的"
She was totally out of her mind.
她真是疯了
It was my first and last session.
那是我第一次也是最后一次见她
So what happened then?
然后呢
I totally got over him, you know.
我完全忘记他了
But now I'm obsessed that
但现在我又痴迷着
he's gonna die from an accident a thousand kilometers away.
他应该会在千里之外死于非命这个想法
- Oh, right. - I'm gonna be the one accused.
-是吗 -我就成了头号嫌疑犯
Why is it you become obsessed
为什么你会痴迷于
with people you don't really like that much?
你不怎么喜欢的人呢
- You know what I mean? - I don't know.
-你懂我的意思吗 -不太懂
- What? - Are you with anyone?
-什么 -你有在和谁交往吗
It's funny how we managed to avoid this subject for so long.
我们居然这么久才聊到这个
Yeah, but now you have to tell me.
但现在你得老实告诉我了
Well, I kind of see love as this escape for two people
我认为爱情是两个不知如何独处的人
who don't know how to be alone, you know?
逃避孤独的结果
Or, you know what's funny?
或者更有意思的是
People always talk about how
人们总是说爱是
love is this totally unselfish, giving thing.
如何的无私奉献
But if you think about it, there's nothing more selfish.
但如果你仔细想想 爱再自私不过了
So, who just broke up with you?
那刚和你分手的是谁
You sound like you've just been hurt or something.
你听起来像是刚受过情伤
- Oh, do I? - Yeah.
-是吗 -是的
All right, a big confession, you know?
好吧 那我就坦白了
I should have told you this earlier or something, but...
我应该早点告诉你的 但是...
I didn't come to Europe just to hang out
我来欧洲不是为了四处转转
and read Hemingway in Paris and shit like that, you know.
或是去巴黎读读海明威什么的
I saved up my money all spring to fly to Madrid
我整个春天都在攒钱 就是为了飞去马德里
and spend the summer with my girlfriend who has been
和我的女朋友一起过夏天
- Your girlfriend? - My ex-girlfriend.
-你的女朋友 -前女友
Who's been in this asinine art history program for the last year.
她去年参加了一个特别蠢的艺术史项目
Anyway, I got here, right, and we were reunited at long last,
我到了那 我们终于见面了
and we went out to dinner our first night with six of her friends
第一天晚上我们出去吃饭 还带着她的六位朋友
Pedro, Antonio, Gonzalo,
佩德罗 安东尼奥 冈萨罗
Maria, Suzy from home, you know?
玛丽亚 还有一起过去的苏西
She pretty much managed to avoid
在头几天 她差不多是一直
being alone with me for the first couple of days,
尽量避免和我独处
and I stuck around for a while just to kinda let it really sink in
我呆了一段时间 才慢慢接受
that she wished I hadn't come.
她不希望我来这一事实
So I bought the cheapest flight out of Europe,
所以我买了最便宜的机票 想离开欧洲
this one leaving out of Vienna tomorrow,
就是明天离开维也纳的这一班
but it didn't leave for a couple of weeks,
但当时还有几周的时间
so I bought this Eurail pass, you know.
所以我买了欧铁车票
You know what's the worst thing about somebody breaking up with you?
你知道和人分手最糟糕的事是什么吗
- Yeah? - It's when you remember how little you thought
-什么 -是你想到自己有多鄙视那个人
about the people you broke up with and you realize that that
然后你意识到
is how little they're thinking about you.
他们同时也很鄙视你
You'd like to think that you're both in all this pain,
你以为你们都在痛苦
but really, they're just,
但实际上 他们只是想
"Hey, I'm glad you're gone."
"还好离开你了"
Believe me, I know.
相信我 我了解
- You should look at bright colors. - What?
-你应该看看积极的一面 -什么
That's what the shrink told me, you know?
这是心理医生告诉我的
I was paying her 900 francs
我花了九百法郎
an hour to hear that I was a homicidal maniac,
花了一个小时去听别人说我是个杀人狂
but I could perhaps shift my
但如果我多看看积极的一面
obsession if I would concentrate on bright colors.
或许能走出自己的执念
- It didn't help your pinball. - Well, no.
-对你玩弹珠的确帮助不大 -是不行
Yeah, well, you know, I mean, I haven't killed anyone lately.
我最近已经不杀人了
Well, that's good. You're cured then.
那还行 你已经痊愈了
I mean, there's these breeds of monkeys, right?
有一种猴子
And all they do is have sex, like, all the time.
他们整天就知道做爱
And, uh, they turn out to be the least violent,
他们成为了最不暴力
the most peaceful, the most happy
最平和 最幸福的
You know? So, I mean, maybe foolin' around's not so bad.
鬼混也没什么不好
Are you talking about monkeys?
你是在说猴子吗
Yes, I'm talking about monkeys.
是的 我说的就是猴子
- Ah, I thought so. Yeah. You know? - Why?
-我也觉得 -怎么了
I never heard this one,
我从没听说过这个
but it reminds me of this perfect, you know,
但却让我想到了一个说法
male argument to justify them fooling around.
完美地合理化了男性鬼混的行径
No, no, no! Women monkeys are foolin' around too.
不 不 不 雌性猴子也鬼混
Everybody's fooling around.
大家都在鬼混
You know, I have this awful, paranoid thought
我有个挺糟又有些偏执的想法
that feminism was mostly invented by men
女权不过是由男性想出来的
so they could, like, fool around a little more.
所以他们可以更随心所欲地鬼混
You know, "Woman, free your mind. Free your body. Sleep with me.
"女人 解放你们的思想 解放你们的身体 和我睡吧
We're all happy and free as long as I can fuck as much as I can."
只要你给我睡 我们都会幸福而自由"
- Ah! All right, all right. - I'm sure.
-好吧 -我觉得就是这样
But maybe, maybe there's some biological things at work here.
或许生物学上来看 的确如此
- Biological. - If you had an island, right?
-生物学 -如果你有一座岛
And there were 99 women on the island and only one man,
岛上有99个女性 却只有一名男性
- in a year you'd have the possibility of 99 babies. - Right.
-一年之后 岛上可能有了99个孩子 -没错
But if you have an island with 99 men and only one woman,
但如果你的岛上有99个男性 却只有一名女性
in a year you have the possibility of only one baby.
一年之后 可能只有一个孩子
- So? - So? You know what?
-所以呢 -所以 你知道吗
- What? - On this island, you know,
-什么 -在这座岛上
I think there will be only, like, maybe 43 men left
我觉得大约只会余下43个男性
because they would have killed each other trying to fuck this poor woman.
因为他们会为了争夺交配权而自相残杀
You know what I mean?
明白吗
And on the other island, there would be 99 women, 99 babies,
在另一个岛上 会有99个女人和99个孩子
because they would have all gotten together and eaten him alive.
因为他们会团结一心 把他生吞活剥了
Oh, yeah? Yeah? See, I think there's something to that.
是吗 我觉得这能说明点什么
I think on some level,
我觉得某种程度上说
women don't mind the idea of destroying a man.
女人不介意毁掉一个男人
You know? Like, I was once walking
比如说 有一次我
down the street with my ex-girlfriend, you know, right?
和前女友在轧马路
We just walked by those, you know,
我们碰巧路过
real four thuggy-looking guys next to a Camaro.
四个凶狠的壮汉站在一辆科迈罗旁边
And, uh, one of 'em sure enough says, "Hey, baby, nice ass."
然后我们听到有一个人说"小妞 屁股很翘啊"
So I'm like, "All right. Hey, no big deal.
我想的就是"无所谓 多大点事
I'm not gonna get uptight about this." Right?
我也不会因为这个恼火" 是不是
Yeah, plus, you know, there were four of them.
而且他们有四个呢
Yeah, exactly. There's four of 'em.
没错 四个壮汉呢
But she turns around, she says, "Fuck you, dickheads!"
她扭回头然后大喊"去你妈的 臭流氓"
And I'm like, "Okay, wait a minute here." Right?
我就在想"等等 什么情况" 明白吧
They're not gonna come over here and kick her ass.
他们是不可能跑过来暴打她一顿的
You know what I mean?
明白我说的吗
So who just got pushed to the front line on that one?
那是谁被推到冲突的前线了呢
You see what I'm saying?
明白了吧
I mean, women say they hate it
我的意思是 女人声称她们厌恶
if you're all territorial and protective,
保护欲和占有欲很强的男人
but if it suits them, then
但到了需要的时候
they'll tell you you're being all unmanly or wimpy.
她们就又说你唯唯诺诺软弱无能
You know what? I don't think women really wants to destroy men.
知道吗 女人并不真的想去毁掉男人
Even if they want to, they don't succeed. You know what I mean?
就算她们想 也做不到 明白吗
I'm sure even men are destroying women, all right?
我觉得男人在毁掉女人们
or are capable of destroying women much more than women.
或者说 比起女人 男人更会毁掉对方
Well, anyway. It's depressing. You know what?
总之 说来说去都很悲伤 你知道吗
What? You wanna stop talking about this?
什么 是不想继续这个话题了吗
Yeah. I hate it.
是啊 我讨厌说这个
- Okay. Over it. - You know, man-woman.
-好的 翻篇了 -你知道的 男人女人
There's no end to this.
说起来没完没了的
- Like? You know. - It's like a skipping record, you know?
-就好像... -像出了问题的唱片
Every couple's been having this conversation forever.
自古以来 每对恋人都要谈论这个话题
And nobody came up with anything.
但是没人能有个结论
I saw a documentary on that. It's a birth dance.
我在纪录片里看到过这个 这是出生舞
- A birth dance. - Yeah.
-出生舞 -没错
- Should I give her some money? - Yeah.
-我应该给她点钱吗 -是啊
Everything that's interesting costs a little bit of money.
有趣的事总是要花点钱的
So a birth dance, huh?
这个出生舞
Looked a little bit like a mating dance to me.
我觉得有点像求偶舞
No, but really, women used it when giving birth.
不是 但是真的 在女人生孩子的时候跳
In some part of the world, they still do it.
有些地方的女性现在还在跳
The woman in labor enters a tent,
临盆的女人会进一个帐篷
and the women of her tribe surround her and dance,
部落里的其他女人围成一圈然后跳舞祈福
and they encourage the birthing woman to dance with them
还鼓励临盆的那个女人跟她们一起跳
- so as to make the birth less painful. - Yeah?
-让分娩过程没那么痛苦 -是吗
And when the baby's born, they all dance in celebration.
等孩子生出来 她们一起跳舞来庆祝新生
Wow. I don't think my mom would've gone for that.
我估计我妈应该不肯跳
I like the idea of dancing as a common function in life,
我喜欢把舞蹈作为生活中的一部分
something everybody participates in.
每个人都要参与进去的那种
Mmm. I know. I heard about this old guy
我理解 我听说过有个老头
who, uh, was watching some young people dance,
在看几个年轻人跳舞
and he said, "How beautiful.
他就说 "跳的真美
They're trying to shake off their genitals and become angels."
他们想把生殖器甩掉 然后成为天使
All right, one question. Go back there?
好 提个问题 回到刚刚的话题
When the women are dancing and being all spiritual and stuff, right?
在女人们在跳舞祈福的时候
Where are the men? Are we out food gathering?
男人们去哪了 我们是外出采集食物了吗
Are we not invited? Y'all don't need us? What?
没邀请我们 不需要我们吗 还是怎样
don't bite off their head after mating.
在交配后不会把你们的脑袋咬下来
Certain insects do that, you know? Like spiders and stuff?
有的昆虫就是这样 知道吗 蜘蛛一类的
- Mm-hmm. - We at least let you live.
-是啊 -我们好歹留着你们的小命
- What are you complaining about? - Yeah.
-你们还有啥可抱怨的呢 -有道理
See, you're officially kidding, but there's somethin' to that.
你看起来是在开玩笑 其实还有别的意思
- You keep bringing stuff like that up. - What?
-你一直在提那方面的事情 -什么啊
- Yeah! - No, no, no. Wait a minute.
-没错 -不 不 等一下
Talking seriously here.
说认真的
I mean, I always feel this pressure
我老感觉有一种压力
of being a strong and independent icon of womanhood
就是我要成为个自力更生的女强人
and not making...making
不能让...让
look like my whole life is revolving around some guy.
我的人生看起来就是围着某个男人转
But... loving someone, and being loved,
但是...爱上一个人 被他爱护
means so much to me.
对我来说意义重大
I always make fun of it and stuff,
虽然我总是拿这个开玩笑
but isn't everything we dream in life
但是大家一生的梦想不都是
a way to be loved a little more?
希望被人多爱一点吗
Sometimes I dream about being a good father and a good husband.
我有时会梦到为人父 为人夫
- And sometimes that feels really close. - Hmm.
-有时像真的一样 -嗯
But then other times,
但是 时而
like it would, uh, ruin my whole life.
彷佛这样的选择会毁我一生
And it's not just a...a fear of commitment
并不是我害怕对人承诺
or that I'm incapable of caring or loving,
或者没有能力关爱别人
It's just that... if I'm totally honest with myself,
只是 如果审视我的内心
I think I'd rather die knowing that
我宁可临死之前
I was really good at something,
知道自己有所长
that I had excelled in some way.
出类拔萃过
You know? Than that I'd just been in a nice, caring relationship.
而不是有一段有爱的感情生活
But... I had worked for this older man,
但是 我为一位老先生工作过
and once he told me that he had spent all of his life
有次他告诉我 他穷其一生
thinking about his career and his work.
呕心沥血 追逐名利
And... he was 52, and it suddenly struck him...
他当时52岁 他说 有天他突然感到
that he had never really given anything of himself.
他从没有为自己投入过什么
His life was for no one and nothing.
他是个孤家寡人 一无所有
He was almost crying saying that.
他说话时几乎落泪
You know, I believe if there's any kind of God,
我相信如果世间真有神灵
it wouldn't be in any of us,
也不会在哪个人身上
But just this little space in between.
而是在人与人之间
If there's any kind of magic in this world,
如果世间真有魔法
it must be in the attempt
一定是两个人不断努力
of understanding someone, sharing something.
试图理解对方 试图互相分享的过程
I know. It's almost impossible to succeed.
我知道这很难实现
But... who cares, really?
但是...有谁真正在意
The answer must be in the attempt.
答案就在努力的过程中
I really think this is a civilization in decline.
我觉得这是赤裸裸的文明倒退
- Look at the service. - The service?
-看看这的服务 -服务吗
Where is the waitress? In New York,
服务员呢 要是在纽约
this person would be out of a job.
这个人就要卷铺盖走人
Okay. Now I'm gonna call my best friend in Paris,
好 现在我要给巴黎最好的朋友打电话
who I'm supposed to have lunch with in eight hours.
我本来和她约了八小时后吃午饭
Dring. Dring. Dring. Dring.
叮铃 叮铃 叮铃
- Dring. Dring. Pick up! - What?
-叮铃 叮铃 接电话啊 -什么
- Pick up the phone. - Uh, oh, hello?
-快接电话 -哦 你好
- Allo? Vani, c'est Celine. - Mm-hmm?
-你好 范妮 我是席琳 -嗯哼
Sa va bien. Et toi?
挺好的 你呢
I-I've been workin' on my English recently.
我最近正在练习英语
You wanna talk in English? Just for laughs?
我们可不可以说英语呢 就为了好玩
Yeah, okay. That's a good idea.
好呀 好主意
Um, I don't think I'm gonna
我觉得我回不去
be able to make it for lunch today. I'm sorry.
和你吃午饭了 抱歉
I...I met a guy on the train,
我在火车上遇到了个人
and I got off with him in Vienna.
我跟他在维也纳下车了
- We're still there. - Are you crazy?
-我们还在这呢 -你疯了吗
Wh-What, he's Austrian? He's from there?
他是奥地利人吗 他是本地的吗
No, no, no, no. He's passing through here too. He's American.
不 不 他也是路过的 他是美国人
He's going back home tomorrow morning.
他明天就回家了
Why'd you get off the train with him?
那你为什么跟他下车呢
Well, he convinced me.
他把我说服了
I mean, actually, I was...
其实 我当时...
was ready to get off the train with him
跟他聊了一会之后
after talking to him a short while.
就想跟他下车了
He was so sweet, I couldn't help it.
他太好了 我控制不住
We were in the lounge car,
我们在火车车厢里的时候
and he begin to talk about him as
他给我讲
a little boy seeing his great-grandmother's ghost.
他小时候见到过曾祖母的灵魂
I think that's when I fell for him.
我就是那时迷上的他
Just the idea of this little boy with all those beautiful dreams.
只是个可爱的小男孩 带着五彩斑斓的幻想
He has beautiful blue eyes, nice pink lips.
他的蓝眼睛超好看 还有精致的粉色嘴唇
Greasy hair! I love it.
头发有点油 但是我超爱
He's kind of tall and he's a little clumsy.
他有点高 看起来有点笨笨的
I like to feel his eyes on me when I look away.
我特别喜欢自己看别处时 他看我的目光
He kind of kisses like an adolescent. It's so cute.
他吻技像中学生 太可爱了
- What? - Yeah, we kissed.
-什么 -没错 我们亲吻了
It was so adorable.
听起来好有爱
As the night went on, I began to like him more and more.
夜色越来越深 我越来越喜欢他
But I'm afraid he's scared of me.
但是我担心他有点怕我
You know, I told him the story about
我给他讲了
the woman that kills her ex-boyfriend and stuff.
一个姑娘谋杀了前男友什么的
He must be scared to death.
他一定怕死了
He must be thinking I'm this manipulative, mean woman.
他一定觉得我是那种控制人的坏女人
I just hope he doesn't feel that way about me.
我只是希望他不会那样想我
Because you know me. I'm the most harmless person.
你了解我 我可是人畜无害的
The only person I could really hurt is myself.
我也只能伤害自己
I don't think he's scared of you.
我觉得他才不怕你呢
- I think he's crazy about you. - Really?
-我觉得他也为你痴迷 -真的吗
I've known you a long time, and I got a good feeling.
我认识你这么久了 我觉得没问题
You gonna see him again?
你以后还会见到他吗
We haven't talked about that yet.
我们还没讨论过这个
Okay. It's your turn. You call your friend.
好啦 到你了 你给你朋友打电话
- Okay? - Uh...All right, all right.
-好不 -好 没问题
Bring, bring, bring.
叮铃 叮铃 叮铃
I usually get this guy's answering machine. Brrring!
我老是接到他们家的答录机
Hi, dude. What's up?
嘿 哥们儿 怎么个事
Uh... Hey, Frank, how ya been?
弗兰克 最近不错吧
Glad you're home.
还好你在家接电话
Cool. Yeah. So how was Madrid?
还不错 马德里怎么样
Uh, Madrid sucked.
马德里挺烂的
Uh, you know, Lisa and I had our long-overdue meltdown.
我和丽萨积累了好久的矛盾爆发了
Oh, too bad. I told you, no?
太糟了 早和你说过 兄弟
Yeah, yeah, yeah. The long-distance thing just never works.
是啊 异地恋没希望的
I was only in Madrid for a couple days.
我只在马德里待了几天
And I got a cheaper flight out of Vienna,
有一班维也纳起飞的机票很便宜
you know, it really wasn't that much cheaper.
也没便宜多少
I just, uh...I couldn't go home right away.
只是现在...我还不能直接回家
I didn't wanna see anybody I knew.
我不想见任何认识的人
I just wanted to be a ghost, completely anonymous.
我现在只想销声匿迹 没人认识我
- So are you okay now? - Yeah.
-现在没事了吗 -好了
Yeah. No, no. Yeah! I'm great. I'm great. That's the thing.
没事 没事 我很好 就是要说这个
And I'll tell you why.
我告诉你为什么
I met somebody on my last night in Europe. Can you believe that?
我在欧洲最后一晚邂逅了个美女 敢信不
- That's incredible. - I know. I know.
-那太棒了 -我知道
And you know how they say
你记得人们老说的关于
we're all each other's demons and angels?
我们是彼此的天使恶魔什么的吗
Well, she was literally a Botticelli angel,
她真的就像波提切利笔下的天使
just tellin' me that everything was gonna be okay.
让我重新见识了生活的美好
How did you meet?
你们怎么认识的
She was sittin' next to this very weird couple
她就挨着一对奇怪的夫妇
that started fighting, so she had to move.
两个人开始吵架 她就换了座位
She sat right across the aisle from me.
就和我隔个过道
So we started to talk.
我们就聊起来了
And, uh, she didn't like me much at first.
她一开始没那么喜欢我
She's super-smart, very passionate,
她聪颖过人 活力四射
And I was so unsure of myself.
而我那么没自信
I thought everything I said sounded so stupid.
我觉的我说的一切都特别傻
Aw, man, I wouldn't worry about that.
兄弟 不用担心
Nah, I'm sure she was not judging you.
不会的 她肯定没挑你的不是
No. And by the way, she sat next to you, no?
肯定的 而且 她不是坐你旁边了吗
- I'm sure she did it in purpose. - Oh, yeah?
-她肯定是故意坐那的 -是吗
Us men are so stupid. We don't understand anything about women.
我们男人都太蠢 根本搞不懂女人
They act kind of strange, the little I know of them.
我也不怎么了解她们 但她们都怪怪的
I feel like this is some dream world we're in, you know?
我感觉现在好像在梦境里
Yeah, it's so weird.
是啊 怪怪的
It's like our time together is just ours.
好像我们的时间只属于自己
It's our own creation.
是自己创造的时空
It must be like I'm in your dream
一定是我在你的梦里
and you're in mine or something.
或者你在我的梦里什么的
And what's so cool is that
最酷的就是
this whole evening, all our time together,
这一整夜 我们共处的时光
shouldn't officially be happening.
都本不该发生的
Yeah, I know. Maybe that's why this feels so otherworldly.
是啊 所以才有恍然如梦的感觉吧
But then the morning comes and we turn into pumpkins, right?
但等朝阳升起 我们就又变回南瓜 对吗参见灰姑娘童话
But at this time, I think you're supposed to
但是到了这时候 你应该
produce the glass slipper and see if it fits.
拿出一只水晶鞋 看看合脚不合脚
This friend of mine had a kid, and it was a home birth,
我的一个朋友有个孩子 是在家里出生的
so he was there helping out and everything.
他在那里帮忙打下手
But he said at that profound moment of birth...
但他说孩子出生的那个重大时刻...
Uh, he was watching his child experiencing life for the first time,
他看到 孩子来到世间的第一刻
trying to take its first breath.
努力呼吸第一口空气
All he could think about was that
但他当时脑子里的想法只有
he was lookin' at somethin' that was gonna die someday.
眼前的婴儿总有一天也会死去
He just couldn't get it out of his head.
这个想法挥之不去
And I think that's so true. You know, everything is so finite.
真的很对 万物都有终点
I mean, but...but don't you think that's what, um,
但不正是这一点
makes our time and specific moments so important?
才让我们的时间如此宝贵吗
Yeah, I know. It's the same for us tonight though.
我们今晚也是一样的
After tomorrow morning,
明早过后
we're probably never gonna see each other again, right?
我们也许再也不会相见
You don't think we'll ever see each other again?
你觉得我们以后见不到了吗
Gosh, I don't know. Uh...
天哪 我不知道
- I mean, I hadn't planned another trip to... - Uh, me too.
-我还没准备下一次旅行... -我也是
I mean, I live in Paris. You live in the US. I totally understand...
我在巴黎 你在美国 我很能理解...
I'd hate to make you fly. You hate to fly, right?
我不想让你飞过去 你不喜欢坐飞机对吧
I'm not so scared of flying.
我不是很怕坐飞机
- I mean, I could. - Well, if you were gonna come to the US
-我是说非得坐的话 -如果你能来美国
or if, you know, I mean, if I...
要么...也许我...
Or you know, I mean, I could come back here.
我也可以再回来
No, let's just be rational adults about this.
咱们先成熟理智地思考一下
Maybe we should try something different.
我们不要这样了
I mean, it's not so bad if tonight is our only night, right?
就算只见这一晚也不算糟糕吧
People always exchange phone numbers, addresses.
人们总是交换电话号码 通信地址
They end up writing once, calling each other once or twice.
结果就写一封信 打一两通电话
Right. Fizzles out.
是 很快就淡了
Yeah. I mean, I don't want that. I hate that.
是 我不想那样 我讨厌那样
I hate that too. Yeah.
我也讨厌那样 的确
Why do you think everybody thinks
再说了 为什么所有人都觉得
relationships are supposed to last forever anyway?
美好的关系就该永远持续下去
Yeah, why? It's stupid.
是的 为什么 太蠢了
But you think tonight's it, huh?
但你认为就只有今晚了吗
I mean, that... tonight's our only night?
我们就只相处这一晚
It's the only way, no?
只能这样了
No delusions. No projections.
没有妄想 没有期许
We'll just make tonight great.
就让今夜熠熠生辉
- Okay, let's do that. - Okay.
-好 就这么做 -好
We should do some kind of handshake, you know?
我们应该握手言定
To our one and only night together...
致我们共度的唯一一个晚上
and, uh, the hours that remain.
以及余下的几个小时
It's just... It's depressing, no?
就是觉得...很忧伤 不是吗
Now the only thing we're gonna think of is
从现在开始 我们两个就只会
when we're gonna have to say good-bye tomorrow.
想着明天什么时候道别了
We could say good-bye now.
我们可以现在道别
Then we wouldn't have to worry about it in the morning.
这样到早上就不会有负担了
- Now? - Yeah. Say good-bye.
-现在吗 -是的 说拜拜
- Bye! - Good-bye!
-拜 -拜拜
- Later. - Later.
-回见 -回见
All right. So here's the plan, right?
好 我们这样
You're gonna grab the glasses and I'm gonna get the wine.
你去拿杯子 我去拿酒
- Red wine. - Red wine. Right.
-红酒 -红酒 好
- You think you can do that? - No problem.
-你觉得能拿到吗 -没问题
- Wish me luck. - Good luck.
-祝我好运 -祝你好运
- Do you speak English? - Mmm. A bit.
-你说英语吗 -一点点
- Yeah? A bit? Well, All right. - Yeah.
-是吗 一点点 那好 -是的
I'm having kind of an odd situation, which is that, um...
这事说来奇怪 那个...
Uh. This is... You see that girl over there?
这个... 你看到那位姑娘了吧
- Yeah. - Yeah? Well, this is our only night together.
-嗯 -我们只能共度这一个晚上
Um, and she, uh... All right.
而她...好吧
Here's the problem. The problem is that she wants a bottle of red wine.
问题在于 她想点瓶红酒
And I don't have any money. You see?
而我又没钱 懂吗
But what I was thinkin' was that you might wanna, um,
但是我想你可以
uh, give me the address of this bar.
留下这里的地址
No. I know. And I would promise to send you the money.
我知道这听着很扯 但我保证寄钱给你
And you'd be making our night complete.
我们的夜晚就等你成就了
- You would send me the money? - Yes.
-你会寄钱给我 -是的
For the greatest night in your life.
为了你生命中最美的一夜
Thank you very much.
太感谢了
So often in my life
我有过好多次
I've been with people and shared beautiful moments
与他人共度时光 分享美好时刻
like traveling or staying up all night and watching the sunrise,
一起旅行 一起不睡觉等日出
and I knew those were special moments.
我知道那些时刻很特别
But something was always wrong.
但总感觉哪里不对劲
I wished I'd been with someone else.
是在一起的人不对
I knew that what I was feeling,
我很清楚自己当时的感受
exactly what was so important to me,
对我很重要的事情
they didn't understand.
他们却都不懂
But I'm happy to be with you.
但我跟你一起很开心
You couldn't possibly know why a night like this
你不会知道为什么这样的夜晚
is so important to my life right now,
对我现在的生活如此重要
This is a great morning.
早上真美好
It is a great morning.
是很美好
Do you think we'll have others like this?
你觉得我们还会拥有这样的早晨吗
- What? - What about our rational, adult decision?
-怎么 -成熟理智的思考呢
I know what you mean about
不过我懂你说的
wishing that somebody wasn't there though.
想当初如果某人不在场就好了
It's just usually, it's myself that I wish I could get away from.
但我总是希望自己当时能避开
Seriously, think about this.
说真的 你想想
I have never been anywhere that I haven't been.
我去过的地方 自己怎么可能不在场
I've never, uh, had a kiss when I wasn't one of the kissers.
吻过的人 嘴唇怎么可能没触碰过
You know, I've never, um,
还有
gone to the movies when I wasn't there in the audience.
看过的电影 我不可能不在观众席
I never been out bowling if I wasn't there,
如果我去打保龄球
you know, makin' some stupid joke.
我不可能不开些蠢蠢的玩笑
I think that's why so many people hate themselves. Seriously.
这大概就是为什么那么多人讨厌自己 真的
It's just that they are sick to death of being around themselves.
特别讨厌跟自己相处
Let's say you and I were together all the time.
假设我们时时刻刻都在一起
You'd start to hate a lot of my mannerisms...
你一定会开始讨厌我的很多行为
The way every time that we would have people over, uh,
每次朋友来我们家做客
I'd be insecure and I'd get a little too drunk.
我就会没有安全感 喝酒喝太多
Or, uh, the way I tell the same stupid,
或者讨厌我每次都讲的
pseudo-intellectual story again and again.
自作聪明的破故事
You see, I've heard all those stories.
这些故事我可听过不少呢
So, of course I'm sick of myself.
我当然受够自己了
being with you, uh,
和你在一起
has made me feel like I was somebody else.
让我觉得自己变成了另外一个人
And the only other way to lose yourself like that is, um,
而其它能这样灵魂出窍的方法就只有...
you know, dancing or alcohol or...
比如 跳舞 喝酒
drugs and stuff like that.
嗑药之类的
- Fu...Fucking. Yeah. That's one way. Yeah. - Yeah?
-做爱 没错 是个办法 -是吧
Do you know what I want?
你知道我想要什么吗
Well, I can do that.
那让我来
I have to say something stupid.
我得说句很傻的话
- It's very stupid. - Okay.
-傻到家了 -说吧
I don't think we should sleep together.
我觉得不该跟你发生关系
I mean, I want to, but
我很想 但是
since we're never gonna see each other again,
因为我们再见不到对方
it'll make me feel bad.
可能会让我伤感
I'll wonder who else you're with. I'll miss you.
我会胡思乱想你跟谁在一起 会想你
I know. It's not very adult.
我知道 这想法不成熟
Maybe it's a female thing. I can't help it.
也许女性都这样 我也没办法
Let's see each other again.
我们还是再见面吧
No, I don't want you to break our vow just so you can get laid.
我可不想让你为了上床就选择毁约
I don't wanna just get laid. I want to, um...
我不只为了上床 我是想的
I mean, I mean, I think we should.
我们应该上
I mean, we die in the morning, right?
早上我们就都不复存在了吧
- I think we should. - No. Then it's like some male fantasy.
-我觉得应该 -不 那就成了男人的渴望
Meet a French girl on the train,
火车上偶遇法国姑娘
fuck her and never see her again.
上床之后再不相见
This great story to tell. I don't wanna be a great story.
这是男人用来炫耀的 我可不想当主角
I don't want this great evening to just have been for that.
不想这么重要的一夜那样收场
Okay. We don't have to have sex. It's not a big deal.
好 我们不上床 没什么大不了的
You don't wanna see me again?
你不想再见我吗
No, of course I do. Listen.
当然想 这么说吧
If somebody gave me the choice right now
如果现在有人给我两个选择
of to never see you again or to marry you,
再不见你 还是跟你结婚
I would marry you, all right?
我会跟你结婚 知道吗
And maybe that's a lot of romantic bullshit,
可能听着是很扯的情话
but people have gotten married for a lot less.
但也有好多人结婚的时候远不如这个浪漫
I decided I wanted to sleep with you when we got off the train.
跟你下车时我就想跟你上床了
Now that we've talked so much, I don't know anymore.
但现在聊了这么多 我又不确定了
- Oh, God. - What?
-上帝啊 -怎么
Why do I make everything so complicated?
我怎么什么事都搞得这么复杂
What do you think's the first
等你回到巴黎
thing you're gonna do when you get back to Paris?
你立马会做什么
Call my parents. What about you?
打电话给我父母 你呢
I don't know. I'll probably go pick up my dog.
我不知道 可能去接狗狗回家
He's stayin' with a friend of mine.
现在寄养在我朋友家
- You have a dog? I love dogs. - Yeah. You do?
-你养狗 我很喜欢狗 -嗯 是吗
- Yeah. - Oh. Oh, shit.
-是的 -糟糕
I don't know. We're back in real time.
我不知道 我们回到现实了
I know. I hate that.
是的 我讨厌这样
Sounds like a harpsichord.
听着像古钢琴
- Oh, check that out. - Somebody's playing.
-去看看 -有人在弹琴
You ever danced to a harpsichord?
伴着古钢琴这样跳过舞吗
- Oh, wow. - What?
-哇 -怎么了
Uh, I'm gonna take your picture...
我要给你照个相
so I never forget you
永远记住你
or, uh, Or all this.
记住这一切
"The years shall run like rabbits."
"时光定如白驹过隙"
I have this, uh, recording of Dylan Thomas
我有一段迪伦·汤马斯
reading a W.H. Auden poem.
朗读威斯坦·休·奥登一首诗的录音
He's got a great voice.
他的声音很棒
- He just...It's like... - Hmm? What?
-他就...好像这样 -什么
"All the clocks in the city began to whir and chime.
"城里的钟声已开始呼呼作响
Oh, let not time deceive you.
噢 莫叫时光把你欺瞒
You cannot conquer time.
时光它怎能战胜
In headaches and in worry,
头痛心焦
vaguely life leaks away,
生命在朦胧中溜走
and time will have his fancy
时间它终将得逞
tomorrow or today."
不是明朝就在今日"
Somethin' like that.
大概是这样
When you talked earlier about after a few years
你之前说在一起生活几年后
how a couple would begin to hate each other
夫妻会开始讨厌彼此
by anticipating their reactions or getting tired of their mannerisms,
掌握了对方的反应 或是受不了对方的习惯
I think it would be the opposite for me.
我觉得我正好相反
I think I can really fall in love when I know everything about someone
如果我对一个人了如指掌 我会爱到无法自拔
The way he's gonna part his hair, which shirt he's gonna wear that day,
他的分头怎么梳 那天要穿什么衬衫
knowing the exact story he'd tell in a given situation.
清楚各种状况下他会讲的故事
I'm sure that's when I know I'm really in love.
我深爱别人的时候肯定是这样
- Hey, guess what. - What?
-对了 -怎么
We didn't go to those guys' play.
我们没去看他们的剧
- The cow? - Yeah.
-奶牛吗 -是的
Oh, yeah, we didn't. Oh, no. We missed it.
对哦 没去 竟然错过了
Okay. You know what bus you're taking to the airport, right?
你知道去机场坐哪班巴士吧
- Yeah, no problem. - I should get on this one.
-知道 -我得上车了
- Right here? You wanna get on that one? - Yeah.
-就这 这节车厢么 - 是的
- I guess this is it, no? - Yeah.
-看来是时候了对吧 -是
I-I...I mean, You know.
我...你知道
Yeah, I know. Me too.
我知道 我也是
I... My... Yeah.
我...我的...
Have a great life. Have fun with everything you're gonna do.
生活愉快 一切如愿
All right, all right. Good luck with school and all that.
行吧 祝你好运 学业进步
- Me too. The train is about to leave. - Yeah.
-我也是 火车要开了 -是的
Listen. All this bullshit we were talkin' about...
听着 我们之前说的那些鬼话
About not seeing each other again?
说不再见面的事
- I don't wanna do that. - I don't wanna do that either.
-我不想那样 -我也不想
- You don't either? - I was waiting for you to say.
-你也不想吗 -我在等你说
Why didn't you say something?
你怎么不说
I was afraid maybe you didn't want to see me.
我怕你不想再见我
Listen, what do you wanna do?
你想怎么办
Maybe... Maybe we should meet here in five years or something.
要不...我们五年后来这里重聚
All right, all right. Five years? Five years? That's a long time.
好 五年吗 五年 那么久
Yes, it's awful. It's like a sociological experiment.
太久了 像是社会学试验
- How 'bout one year? - One year. All right. All right.
-要不一年 -一年 好
- One? How 'bout six months? - Six months?
-一年吗 要不六个月 -六个月吗
- Yeah. - It's gonna be freezing.
-是的 -到时候很冷的
Who cares? We come here, we go somewhere else.
管它呢 我们碰头后再去别的地方
Uh, six months from now or last night?
从现在算起还是昨晚算起
- Um, Last night. Six months from last night... - Okay.
-昨晚 昨晚开始六个月后 -好
which was, uh, June 16.
那就是六月十六日
So, uh, track nine, six months from now at 6:00 at night.
九号站台 六个月后 晚上六点钟
- De...December. - December, yeah.
-十二月 -十二月
It's a train ride for you.
到时候你坐火车来就好
I gotta fly all the way over here and shit like that.
我还得飞过来什么的
But I'm gonna be here.
不过我一定到
- Okay, me too. - All right.
-好 我也是 -好
- And we're not gonna call, write or... - Nah, it's depressing.
-我们不打电话 不写信 -不 不然多郁闷
- Yeah. Okay. - All right.
-好 -好
All right. Your train's gonna leave. Say good-bye.
好 火车要开了 说拜拜
Kathy McCarty - Living Life
♬Hold me like a mother would♬
♬Like I've always known somebody should, yeah♬
♬Although tomorrow, it don't look that good♬
♬Well, it just goes to show♬
♬Though people say we're an unlikely couple♬
♬I'm seeing double of you♬
♬And everything's all right♬
♬Living living living living living living living living life♬
♬I hope for the hopeless♬
♬With the emotionless mediocracy♬
♬How can I help but be restless♬
♬When everything seems so tasteless♬
♬And all of the colors seem to have faded away.♬
♬And everything's all right♬
♬Living living living living living living living living life♬
♬Hold me like a mother would♬
♬Like I've always known somebody should, yeah♬
♬Although tomorrow, it don't look that good♬
♬Well, it just goes to show♬
♬Though people say we're an unlikely couple♬
♬Doris Day, and Mott the Hoople♬
♬And everything's all right♬
♬Living living living living living living living living life♬