朗读者 The Reader

上映日期: 2,008

语言: 英语 / 德语 / 希腊语 / 拉丁语

影片类型: 剧情 / 爱情

导演: 史蒂芬·戴德利

演员: 凯特·温丝莱特 / 大卫·克劳斯 / 拉尔夫·费因斯 / 詹妮特·海因 / 苏珊娜·洛塔尔 / Alissa Wilms / 弗罗里安·巴西奥罗麦 / 弗里德里克·贝希特 / 马蒂亚斯·哈比希 / F


台词
柏林,德国
1995年
片名:为爱朗读
You didn't wake me.
你没有叫醒我
You were sleeping.
妳在睡觉
You let me sleep because you can't bear to have breakfast with me.
你不想和我吃早餐才不叫醒我
I boiled you an egg. See?
我替妳煮了个蛋,瞧
I'd hardly have boiled you an egg if I didn't want to see you.
我不想见到妳就不会帮妳煮蛋
Tea or coffee?
茶或咖啡?
Does any woman ever stay long enough...
有哪个女人待得够久…
...to find out what the hell goes on in your head?
…知道你脑袋在想什么吗?
What are you doing tonight?
你今晚要做什么?
I'm seeing my daughter.
我要见我女儿
Your daughter?
你女儿?
You've kept very quiet about her.
你没提过你有个女儿
Have I?
是吗?
Well, she's been abroad for a year.
她出国一年
Did you say tea?
妳说妳要茶吗?
I'm going.
我要走了
Have fun with your daughter.
好好陪你女儿
Thank you.
谢谢你
Ticket, please.
车票
Tickets.
车票
Tickets.
车票
新城,西德
1958年
Hey! Hey, you!
喂,你
Your feet. Your feet.
你的脚,你的脚
Hey, kid.
小子
Up, up.
起来,起来
It's all right.
没事了
There now.
好了
Where do you live?
你住在哪里?
It's just up here.
就在附近
I'll be fine now. Thank you.
我不会有事的,谢谢妳
Good-bye.
再见
Look after yourself.
好好照顾自己
I'm worried about him.
我很替他担心
He looks terrible.
他的气色很差
The boy's saying he doesn't need a doctor.
那孩子说他不需要看医生
He does.
他需要
I don't need a doctor.
我不需要看医生
Good then.
好吧
Peter.
彼得
We're not going to argue about this.
我们不要为这件事争执
Remind me... how old are you now?
提醒我一下…你今年几岁?
Michael's fifteen.
麦克今年15岁
It's scarlet fever.
这是猩红热
He'll be in bed for several months. At least.
至少要躺在床上好几个月
Complete isolation.
完全隔离
Emily, keep away. He's contagious.
艾蜜莉,离远点,他会传染
Emily.
艾蜜莉
How are you feeling?
你觉得怎样?
Better.
好多了
I meant to tell you...
我一直想告诉妳
...the day I got ill, a woman helped me.
我生病那天,有个女人帮我
She helped you?
她帮你?
Yes. She brought me home.
对,她带我回家
Do you have her address?
你有她的住址吗?
Hello?
有人吗?
Yes?
什么事?
I brought you these flowers. To say thank you.
我带了花送妳,表示感谢
Put them over there in the sink.
把花放到水槽
I would have come earlier, but I've been in bed for three months.
我卧床三个月,不然就能早点来
You are better now?
你现在好多了?
Yes, thank you.
是的,谢谢妳
Have you always been weak?
你一向都这么虚弱吗?
Oh, no. I've never been sick before.
不,我以前没有生过病
It's incredibly boring.
生病很无聊
There's nothing to do.
什么都不能做
I couldn't even be bothered to read.
我连书都懒得看
Well... thank you again.
我要再次谢谢妳
Wait.
等一下
I'll walk with you. I have to go to work.
我要去上班,我跟你一起走
Wait in the hall while I change.
到走廊去等我换衣服
There are two more buckets downstairs.
楼下还有两个捅子
You can fill them and bring them up.
装满煤炭提上来
You look ridiculous. Look at you, kid.
看你搞得灰头土脸的
You can't go home like that.
你不能这样回家
Take off your clothes. I'll run you a bath.
脱掉衣服,我替你放洗澡水
Do you always take a bath in your trousers?
你都穿着裤子洗澡吗?
It's all right. I won't look.
放心,我不会偷看
I'll get you a towel.
我替你拿毛巾
So that's why you came back.
这就是你回来的目的
You're so beautiful.
妳好美
What are you talking about?
你在说什么?
Look at me, kid.
看着我,小子
Slowly. Slowly.
慢慢来,慢慢来
You've inconvenienced your mother.
你让你妈妈好着急
How many more times? I've said I'm sorry.
我要说几次对不起才够?
You scared her.
你把她吓坏了
I got lost, that's all. That's why I was late.
我迷路才会回来得比较晚
Can I have some more?
可以再来一些吗?
How can anyone get lost in their own home town?
谁会在自己家附近迷路?
I meant to head for the castle and I ended up at the sports field.
我想去古堡,结果到了运动场
They're in opposite directions.
那是相反的方向
It's none of your business.
不关妳的事
He's lying.
他在说谎
He's not lying. Michael never lies.
他没说谎,麦克从不说谎
Dad, I've decided, I want to go back to school tomorrow.
爸,我决定明天回学校
The doctor says you need another three weeks.
医生说你得再休息三星期
Well, I'm going.
我要去上学
Peter.
彼得
Move, move!
让开,让开
Move!
让开
Like this?
像这样?
That's right.
没错
No, not so fast.
别这么快
It's all right. Do it again.
很好,再来一次
What's your name?
妳叫什么名字?
What?
什么?
Your name.
妳的名字
Why do you want to know?
你为什么想知道?
I've been here three times.
我来这里三次了
I want to know your name. What's wrong with that?
想知道妳名字,有什么不对吗?
Nothing, kid. There's nothing wrong with that.
没有,没什么不对
It's Hanna.
我叫韩娜
You looked so suspicious.
妳看起来疑心病很重
What's yours, kid?
你叫什么,小子?
Michael.
麦克
Michael?
麦克?
So I'm with a Michael.
所以我跟麦克在一起
Hello.
妳好
The notion of secrecy... is central to Western literature.
秘密在西方文学里相当重要
You may say the whole idea of character...
故事中角色的特质…
...is defined
“奥德赛”
...by people holding specific information...
可以由人物所隐藏的秘密来定义
...which for various reasons...
这些秘密各有不同
...sometimes perverse...
有些是因为偏执
...sometimes noble...
有些则是出自善意
...they are determined not to disclose.
他们下定决心保守秘密
You never tell me what you've been studying.
你一直没说你在学什么?
Studying?
学什么?
At school.
在学校呀
Do you learn languages?
你有学外语吗?
Yes.
What languages?
什么语言?
Latin.
拉丁文
Say something in Latin.
用拉丁文说几句话
Quo, quo scelesti ruitis? Aut cur dexteris aptantur enses conditi?
(拉丁文)
It's Horace.
古罗马诗人贺拉斯
It's wonderful.
很棒
Do you want some Greek?
妳想听希腊文吗?
"Oi men ippeon stroton oi de pesedon ego de ken otto tis eratai."
(希腊文)
It's beautiful.
好美哦
How can you tell?
妳听得出来?
How do you know when you've no idea what it means?
妳听不懂又如何知道很美?
What are you studying in German?
你的德语课在学什么?
We're studying a play.
我们在学一出戏剧
By a writer called Gotthold Ephraim Lessing.
剧作家莱辛的作品
Have you heard of him?
妳听过他吗?
The play's called Emilia Galotti.
剧名是《爱米丽亚伽洛蒂》
You can read it.
妳也可以读
I'd rather listen to you.
我宁愿听你朗读
All right.
好吧
"Act One. Scene One.
第一幕,第一场
The setting: One of the prince's chambers.
场景:王子寝室
The prince..."
王子…
I'm not very good.
我不太会朗读
Go on.
继续朗读
"'Complaints, nothing but complaints.
怨言,都是怨声载道
For goodness sake... is there anything in life but work?
人生除了工作没有别的吗?
Just imagine that people actually envy us.'"
一般人还羡慕我们呢
You're good at it, aren't you?
你很擅长,对吧?
Good at what?
擅长什么?
Reading.
朗读
What's funny?
有什么好笑?
I didn't think I was good at anything.
我不觉得自己有擅长什么
What are you doing? What is this?
妳在做什么?这算什么?
Why did you behave as if you didn't know me?
妳为什么假装不认识我?
You didn't want to know me!
你不会想认识我!
You could see I was in the first carriage!
你看到我在第一车厢
So why did you sit in the second?
为什么要坐第二车厢?
What did you think I was doing?
妳以为我在干嘛?
Why the hell did you think I was there?
妳觉得我为什么在那里?
How should I know?
我怎么知道?
Now, I've been working. I need a bath...
我刚下班,要洗个澡
...and I'd like to be by myself.
我想自己静一静
Would you please leave?
请你离开
I didn't mean to upset you.
我不是故意要惹妳生气
You don't have the power to upset me.
你根本无法影响我的情绪
You don't matter enough to upset me.
你还没有重要到可以惹我生气
I don't know what to say.
我不知道该说什么
I've never been with a woman before.
我从没跟一个女人在一起过
We've been together four weeks.
我们已经在一起四个星期
I can't live without you. I can't.
没有妳,我会活不下去
Even the thought of it kills me.
只要想到就让我痛苦得要死
I sat in the second carriage because
我坐第二车厢是因为…
I thought you might kiss me.
我以为妳会吻我
Kid, you thought we could make love in a tram?
小子,你以为能在电车做爱?
Is it true what you said?
妳是说真的吗?
That I don't matter to you?
我对妳不重要?
Do you forgive me?
妳能原谅我吗?
Do you love me?
妳爱我吗?
Do you have a book?
你有没有书?
Yes, I have.
I took one with me this morning.
我早上带了一本书
What is it?
什么书?
The Odyssey by Homer. It's my homework.
荷马的《奥德赛》,我的功课
We're changing the order we do things.
我们要改变顺序
Read to me first, kid. Then we make love.
先为我朗读,然后再做爱
The Odyssey by Homer.
《奥德赛》,荷马
What's an odyssey?
奥德赛是什么?
It's a journey. He sets out on a journey.
意思是旅程,他踏上一趟旅程
Good.
很好
"Sing to me of the Man, Muse, the man of twists and turns
缪思女神,歌颂命运乖舛的男人
Driven time and again off course,
他总是被迫偏离航向
Once he had plundered The hallowed heights of Troy"
也曾经掠夺特洛伊的宝藏
Come here.
过来
"He pressed her hand to his lips.
他拿她的手掩住他的嘴唇
She was dead...
她死了
...and past all help, or need of it."
没用了,没得救了
"I poked into the place a-ways...
我戳穿了一个洞
...and come to a little open patch as big as a bedroom...
钻进一个和卧室一样大的房间
...all hung around with vines...
到处都倒挂着藤蔓
...and found a man lying there asleep...
有一个人在藤蔓上面睡觉
...and by jings it was my old Jim!
我的天,原来是我的老友吉姆
'When you landed I reck'ned I could ketch up
你落地后我就想…
wid you on de lan' 'doubt havin' to shout at you...
我要追上你,对你大喊
...but when I see dat house I begin to go slow."
不过我看到那房子就慢下来
"Lady Chatterley felt his naked flesh against her...
当他进入她,查泰莱夫人感到…
...as he came into her.
他赤裸的肌肤紧贴着她
For a moment he was still inside her--"
他在她里面一阵子…
This is disgusting.
这太龌龊了
Where did you get this?
你从哪里弄来的?
Borrowed it from someone at school.
向同学借的
Well... you should be ashamed.
你应该感到羞耻
Go on.
继续吧
"'Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles in a thundering typhoon!
台风吹起上亿个蓝色的藤壶
It is water!'
洪水来袭!
'But what on earth did you expect it to be?'"
不然你以为会是什么呢?
Whiskey.
威士忌
"'W hiskey, by thunder, whiskey!'
威士忌,天啊,是威士忌
'Whiskey?
威士忌?
Come now, captain, you can't be serious.'"
船长,你在开玩笑吧
That's enough for today, kid.
今天够了,小子
I was wondering... do you think you could get some time off?
我在想妳能不能请几天假
Maybe we could go on a trip.
也许我们可以去旅行
What sort of trip?
什么样的旅行?
A cycling holiday. Just two days.
单车旅行,只要两天
I've got a guide book, I've worked out the route.
我有旅游指南,路程计划好了
Look.
What do you think?
妳觉得怎样?
I think you like planning, don't you?
你很喜欢计划,对吧?
"I'm not frightened.
我并不害怕
I am not frightened of anything.
我什么都不怕
The more I suffer... the more I love.
我的痛苦愈多,爱得愈多
Danger will only increase my love.
危险只会加强我的爱
It will sharpen it, forgive its bias.
它让爱更坚固,忘却爱的偏见
I'll be the only angel you need.
我是妳唯一需要的天使
You will leave life even more beautiful than you entered it.
妳的存在将让生命更美丽
Heaven will take you back and look at you and say...
妳将重返天国,上帝看着妳说
...'Only one thing can make us so complete.'
只有一样东西能让我们完整
And that thing is love."
那样东西就是爱
Catch up!
追上来
- Hello. - Hello.
- Excuse me. - Hello.
不好意思
Do you know what you'd like?
你们要点什么?
What are you having?
妳要吃什么?
You order. I'll have what you have.
你来点,你吃什么我就吃什么
Okay.
好吧
Two frankfurters, two potato salads,
两份香肠、两份马铃薯沙拉
and two beers, please.
两杯啤酒
Thank you.
谢谢妳
Oh, thank you. Hope your mother was happy.
谢谢,希望你母亲吃得愉快
Thank you. She enjoyed her meal very much.
谢谢,她觉得很好吃
Come on.
来吧
Here. Let me show you where we're going.
让我告诉你我们要去哪里
It's okay, kid. I don't want to know.
没关系,我不必知道
What are you doing?
你在做什么?
I'm writing a poem. About you.
我在写诗,关于妳
Can I hear it?
我能听吗?
It's not ready.
我还没写完
I'll read it to you one day.
有一天我会读给妳听
Good morning, Hendrick.
早安,亨德克
Good morning, Mr. Berg.
早安,柏格先生
You're in court 306.
你被派到306号法庭
Thank you.
谢谢你
You all right, Michael?
麦克,你没事吧?
I'm fine.
没事
You'd better hurry. You know what she's like.
最好快点,别惹法官
Yeah, I'll see you later.
好,待会见
Good luck.
祝好运
Please stand.
请起立
Please sit down.
请坐
The defendant, please.
把被告带上来
They're coming!
她们来了
- Hello. - Hello.
- What did she say to you? - Good morning, ladies.
- 她跟你说了什么?- 早安,同学们
She said hello.
她只跟我问好
Gentlemen, welcome your new fellow students and treat them with courtesy. Sit down.
请欢迎新同学,好好对待他们
Hello.
My name's Sophie.
我叫苏菲
I'm Michael.
我是麦克
The Odyssey. Take out your books.
《奥德赛》,把书拿出来
Everyone believes Homer's subject is homecoming...
大家都认为这是荷马的返乡之旅
...and in fact, The Odyssey is a book about a journey.
但其实这是一场冒险之旅
Home is a place you dream of.
家只是你梦想的地方
Berg, I don't mean to distract you...
柏格,我不想打扰你
...but we're meant to studying Homer, not studying Sophie.
但我们看的是荷马,不是苏菲
It's wonderful, isn't it?
天气真好,对吧?
Wonderful. It's gonna be a great summer.
是啊,今年夏天会很棒
Why do you leave early?
你为什么要提早走?
He always leaves early.
他总是提早走
Do you have somewhere to go?
你赶着去哪里?
See you tomorrow.
明天见
I'm sorry I'm late.
抱歉我迟到了
Got held up at school.
在学校多待了一会儿
I have a new book.
我有一本新书
The Lady with the Little Dog.
《牵狗的女人》
By Anton Chekhov.
作者是安东契诃夫
"The talk was that a new face had appeared on the promenade...
最新八卦是路上出现新脸孔
...a lady with a little dog."
一个牵狗的女人
Schmitz. One moment, please.
施密兹,请等一下
I read the reports on you. Every single one.
我看过有关妳的每一份报告
Excellent work. You'll be working in the office.
非常优秀,妳会被调到内勤部
You got promoted. Congratulations.
妳被升职了,恭喜妳
Let's get out of here!
我们快走吧!
Come on! Michael, we're leaving. Let's go!
来吧,麦克,快点来!
It's meant to be a surprise for your birthday.
今天你生日,他们要给你惊喜
Come on!
来吧!
What's the matter?
怎么了?
I'm sorry. Really.
真是对不起
We thought you'd like it.
我们以为你会喜欢
We've got beer! We've got a dance!
我们有啤酒!我们要跳舞!
I promised someone.
我答应了别人
Michael, please.
麦克,拜托
Michael?
麦克?
"Here and there the reflection of the stars and the lights...
星辰与光的倒影…
...on the bank quivered and trembled."
…在河岸震动颤抖
Oh, kid, kid.
小子,小子
What?
怎么了?
Stop.
别读了
What's wrong now?
妳怎么了?
Nothing's wrong.
没什么
It's nothing.
没事
You know, you never ask...
妳知道,妳从没问过…
...you never bother to ask how I am.
妳从没问过我好不好
You never say.
你也从没说过
It just happens to be my birthday.
今天正好是我生日
It's my birthday, that's all.
只不过是我的生日
In fact, you've never even asked when it is.
妳从没问我哪一天生日
Look, if you want a fight, kid--
如果你想吵架…
No, I don't want a fight. What's wrong with you?
不,我不想吵架,妳怎么了?
What business is it of yours?
关你什么事?
It's always on your terms. Everything. We do what you want.
一直都是妳做主,一切都依妳
It's always what you want.
妳想做什么就做什么
My friends were giving me a party!
我朋友替我办了派对耶!
Well, why are you here then?
那你干嘛还杵在这儿?
Go back to your party.
回去你的派对呀
Is that what you want?
这是你想要的吗?
It's always me that has to apologize.
每次道歉的人都是我
You don't have to apologize.
你不需要道歉
No one has to apologize.
没有人需要道歉
War and Peace, kid.
《战争与和平》
Now you must go back to your friends.
你现在要回去朋友那里
Are you all right?
你没事吧?
It's him.
他回来了
Good. Get the boy something to eat.
很好,替他弄点吃的
I think we all knew you'd come back to us eventually.
我们都知道你一定会回来
Mr. Berg? It is 8:00.
柏格先生,八点了
Your daughter.
你的女儿
Thank you.
谢谢
Julia.
茱莉亚
I've not kept you waiting?
我没让妳等太久吧?
I was early.
我早到了
Welcome back.
欢迎回来
So...
...how will you decide?
妳的决定是什么?
I don't know.
我不知道
I'm happy back in Berlin, I suppose.
我想,我很开心回到柏林
You've seen your mother?
妳有见到妳母亲?
I wanted to get away, that's all.
我只是想离开而已
It was Paris, but it could have been anywhere.
我去了巴黎,不过哪里都行
Away from your parents?
逃离妳的父母?
You know, I'm aware I was difficult.
我知道我很难相处
I wasn't always open with you.
而且没对妳敞开心胸
I'm not open with anyone.
我对任何人都无法敞开心胸
I knew you were distant.
我知道你对我很疏离
You know... I always assumed it was my fault.
老实说,我一直以为是我的错
Julia...
茱莉亚…
...how wrong can you be?
妳能有什么错?
I'll see you very soon.
我很快会再来看你
See you soon.
再见了
Good night, Dad.
爸,晚安
Good night, Julia.
晚安,茱莉亚
Those of you for the special seminar group... please stay on in this room.
参加特别研讨会的同学留下来
Professor Rohl will be here in a moment.
罗教授马上就来
海德堡法律学院,1966年
Well...
...we seem to be quite a small group.
参加的人数似乎很少
A small group and a select one.
人数虽少,却都是菁英
Clearly, this is going to be a unique seminar.
这会是非常特别的研讨会
We are going to start with a reading list, gentlemen.
先从书单开始吧,各位先生
Karl Jaspers...
卡尔雅斯培
And ladies.
还有女士
...The Question of German Guilt.
《剖析德国人之罪》
So this is where you are.
你都是在这里念书
Yes.
Come in.
请进
You take work seriously.
你对课业很认真
I don't know.
我也不晓得
You're rather a serious boy.
你是个认真的男生
It's how I was brought up.
我从小就被教成这样
What about you? Are you serious?
那妳呢?妳认真吗?
You're sure you want to work tonight?
你确定今晚要念书吗?
Yeah.
确定
But I won't work every night.
不过我不会每晚都念书
See you tomorrow.
明天见
Do you need a hand?
妳需要帮忙吗?
Why all the police?
怎么有这么多警察?
They're worried about demonstrators.
他们担心抗议者会失控
For or against?
哪一方?
Both.
双方
Well, it's a circus.
简直就像马戏团
All rise.
请起立
All photographers are now asked to leave.
摄影记者请离场
This court is now in session. Please, sit down.
本庭开庭,请坐
The first thing I'm going to do is hear motions from each of the defendants' lawyers.
我要先听每位被告律师的动议
They're going to be arguing that there's no reason to keep the defendants in jail...
他们将抗辩没有理由收押被告
...until the outcome of the forthcoming trial.
除非判决定谳
- I'm going to take these cases one by one. - Do you want a pen?
- 我要以个案处理这些案件- 妳要笔吗?
I got a pen.
我有笔
Hanna Schmitz.
韩娜施密兹
Your name is Hanna Schmitz?
妳叫韩娜施密兹?
Yes.
Can you speak louder, please?
请妳大声一点
My name is Hanna Schmitz.
我叫韩娜施密兹
Thank you.
谢谢妳
You were born on October 21 , 1922?
妳出生于1922年10月21日?
Yes.
是的
At Hermannstadt.
出生地是赫尔曼城
And you're now 43 years old?
妳今年43岁?
Yes.
是的
You joined the SS in 1943?
妳在1943年加入党卫军?
Yes.
是的
What was your reason for joining?
妳的理由是什么?
You were working at the Siemens factory at the time?
当时妳在西门子工厂工作?
Yes.
是的
You'd recently been offered a promotion.
妳后来被升职
Why did you prefer to join the SS?
为何宁愿加入党卫军?
Objection.
抗议
I'll re-phrase my question.
让我换个方式问
I'm trying to ascertain if she joined the SS freely.
我想确定她是否自愿加入党卫军
Of her own free will.
出于她的自由意志
I heard there were jobs.
我听说那里有工作
Go on.
继续说
I was working at Siemens...
我本来在西门子工厂工作
...when I heard the SS was recruiting.
后来听说党卫军在召募人员
Did you know the kind of work you'd be expected to do?
妳知道那是什么样的工作吗?
They were looking for guards.
他们在召募卫兵
I applied for a job.
我提出申请
And you worked first at Auschwitz?
妳先在奥斯威兹工作?
Yes.
是的
Until 1944.
直到1944年
Then you were moved to a smaller camp near Cracow?
然后调到接近克拉科的集中营
- Yes. - Are you okay?
- 对- 你没事吧?
- You then helped move the prisoners west in the winter of 1944 - Yeah, I'm fine.
- 妳在1944年冬天…- 没事
in the so-called death marches?
…参与所谓死亡迁移的行动
So what did you think?
你觉得怎样?
I don't know.
不知道
It wasn't quite what I expecting.
跟我想像得不太一样
Wasn't it? In what way?
是吗?怎么说?
What were you expecting?
你想像会是怎么?
I thought it was exciting.
我觉得很刺激
Exciting? Why? Why did you think it was exciting?
刺激?你为什么会这么想?
'Cause it's justice.
因为这是伸张正义
Societies think they operate by something called morality...
大家都觉得社会是靠道德运作
...but they don't.
其实不然
They operate by something called law.
是靠法律这玩意
You're not guilty of anything merely by working at Auschwitz.
光是在奥斯威兹工作不算有罪
8,000 people worked at Auschwitz.
八千人在奥斯威兹工作过
Precisely 19 have been convicted...
总共有19人被判有罪
...and only six for murder.
只有6人被判谋杀罪
To prove murder you have to prove intent.
要判定谋杀罪须证明杀人意图
That's the law.
这就是法律
The question is never "Was it wrong?"...
问题并不是这么做对不对?
...but "Was it legal?"
而是合不合法?
And not by our laws.
不是按照我们的法律
No, by the laws at the time.
而是按照事件当时的法律
But isn't that...
可是这不是…
What?
什么?
...narrow?
…太狭隘了吗?
Oh, yes. The law is narrow.
当然了,法律本来就很狭隘
On the other hand...
换个角度来看
...I suspect people who kill other people...
我认为杀人犯通常会…
...tend to be aware that it's wrong.
渐渐意识到杀人是错的
Miss Schmitz... you're familiar with this book?
施密兹小姐,妳知道这本书吗?
Yes.
知道
Parts of it have already been read out in court.
有一部份已经在庭上读过
It's by a survivor...
作者是一名生还者
...a prisoner who survived, llana Mather.
倖存的囚犯,伊拉娜玛塔
She was in the camp when she was a child, wasn't she?
她在集中营时还是个小孩
She was with her mother.
她跟她母亲关在一起
Yes.
是的
In the book, she describes a selection process.
她在书中描述一种挑选过程
At the end of the month's labor, every month, 60 inmates were selected.
每个月底都会有60人被挑选
They were picked out to be sent from the satellite camp back to Auschwitz.
被挑中的人会被送回奥斯威兹
That's right, isn't it?
没错吧?
Yes. That's right.
是的,没错
And so far... each of your fellow defendants has
直到现在,其他的被告…
specifically denied being part of that process.
…都否认参与这个过程
Now I'm going to ask you. Were you part of it?
现在我问妳,妳有没有参与?
Yes.
So you helped make the selection?
妳协助挑选过程?
Yes.
是的
You admit that?
妳承认了?
Then tell me... how did that selection happen?
告诉我挑选过程的细节
There were six guards...
一共有六名卫兵
...so we decided we'd choose ten people each.
我们决定每人各挑十个人
That's how we did it every month.
每个月都是这样
We'd all choose ten.
我们各自挑选十个人
Are you saying your fellow defendants took part in the process?
妳是说其他被告也有参与?
We all did.
我们都有参与
Even though they've denied it?
虽然她们否认?
Saying "we","we all" is easier than saying
说“我们大家”比说…
"I"," I alone" isn't it, Miss Schmitz?
…“我一个人”容易,对吧?
Did you not realize...
妳当时不知道…
...that you were sending these women to their deaths?
…那些女人是被妳们送死吗?
Yes, but there were new arrivals,
知道,不过一直有囚犯被送来
new women were arriving all the time, so...
囚犯愈来愈多
...the old ones had to make room for the new ones.
旧囚犯得把空间让给新来的
I'm not sure you understand.
妳似乎不懂我的问题
But we couldn't keep everyone.
无法让每个人都留下来
- There wasn't room. - No...
空间不够
...but what I'm saying... Let me rephrase.
我说的是…我换个说法
To make room...
为了挪出空间…
...you were picking women out and saying...
妳们告诉被挑中的女人说:
..." You, you and you have to be sent back to be killed."
妳,妳和妳要被送回去处死
Well, what would you have done?
要是你会怎么做?
Should I never have signed up at Siemens?
我根本不该申请这个工作?
Ms. Mather, they're ready for you now.
玛塔女士,轮到妳了
Go, go, go, go, go.
快去,快去
Where's Michael?
麦克呢?
I don't know.
不知道
In your book you describe the process of selection.
妳在书中描述挑选过程
Yes.
是的
You were made to work and then,
囚犯们被迫工作
when you were no longer any use to them...
一旦失去利用价值
...then they sent you back to Auschwitz to be killed.
就会被送回奥斯威兹处死
Are there people here today who made that selection?
参与挑选过程的人有在场吗?
Yes.
I need you to identify them.
请妳指认她们
Can you please point them out?
妳能把她们指出来吗?
Her.
And her.
还有她
Her.
And her.
还有她
Her. And her.
她,还有她
Thank you. Please continue.
谢谢妳,请继续
Each of the guards would choose a certain number of women.
每个卫兵都挑选一定的人数
Hanna Schmitz chose differently.
韩娜施密兹挑选的方法不同
In what way differently?
怎么说?
She had favorites.
她有自己的偏好
Girls, mostly young.
她偏爱女孩,多半是少女
We all remarked on it.
我们都有注意到
She gave them food and places to sleep.
她给她们食物和地方睡觉
In the evening, she...
到了傍晚
...she asked them to join her
她会找她们跟她一起
and we all thought...
我们都以为…
Well, you can imagine what we thought.
你们应该可以想像得到
And then we found out...
后来却发现…
...she was making these women read aloud to her.
…她只是要她们为她朗读
They were reading to her.
她们朗读给她听
At first we thought this guard, this guard is...
我们一开始以为这名卫兵…
...more sensitive, she's more human.
…比较敏感,比较有人性
She's kinder.
她比较好心
Often she chose the weak, the sick.
她都挑选体弱多病的囚犯
She picked them out, she seemed to be protecting them almost.
好像想要保护她们
But then she dispatched them.
但后来却把她们送走
Is that kinder?
这算好心吗?
I want to move on now to the march.
我要谈谈步行的部份
As I understand it, you and your daughter were marched for many months.
妳和妳女儿步行了好几个月
In the winter of 1944, our camp was closed down.
集中营在1944年冬天关闭
We were told we had to move on.
我们被告知必须前进
But the plan kept changing every day.
但是计划每天都在更改
Women were dying all around us in the snow.
到处都有女人死在雪地上
Half of us died on the march.
囚犯有一半死在路上
My daughter says in the book...
我女儿在书上说…
...less a death march,
死亡迁移行进得越慢…
more a death gallop.
囚犯将死得越快
Please tell us about the night in the church.
告诉大家那晚在教堂的事
That night we actually thought we were lucky because we had a roof over our heads.
那晚有得住我们都觉得很幸运
Go on.
请继续
We'd arrived in a village.
我们来到一座村庄
As always, the guards took the best quarters,
卫兵一向都挑最好的地方
they took the priest's house.
她们占据了神父寝室
But they let us sleep in a church.
让我们睡在教堂
There was a bombing raid. In the middle of the night.
半夜有炸弹空袭
The church was hit.
教堂被击中
At first we could only hear the fire, it was in the steeple.
一开始只看到尖塔起火
Then we could see burning beams...
接下来看到梁柱也烧起来
...and they began to crash to the floor.
然后就倒塌在地上
Everyone rushed...
每个人都开始跑
...rushed to the doors.
冲向每一扇门
But the doors had been locked on the outside.
不过门都从外面锁死
The church burnt down? Nobody came to open the doors?
教堂起火,没人来开门?
Is that right?
是这样吗?
Nobody.
没错
Even though you were all burning to death?
就算妳们全都会被烧死?
How many people were killed?
有多少人被烧死?
Everyone was killed.
每个人都被烧死
But you survived.
除了妳以外
Thank you.
谢谢妳
I want to thank you for coming to this country today to testify.
谢谢妳前来我们的国家作证
I don't know.
我不知道
I don't know what we're doing here any more.
我不知道我们在这里干嘛
Don't you?
是吗?
You keep telling us to think like lawyers,
你一直叫我们以律师的角度想
but there is something... ...disgusting about this.
不过这件事很令人反感
How so?
怎么说?
This didn't happen to the Germans. It happened to the Jews.
死的不是德国人,而是犹太人
What are we trying to do?
我们到底想要什么?
We are trying to understand.
我们想试图了解
Six women locked 300 Jews in a church and let them burn.
六个女人让300个犹太人被烧死
What is there to understand?
这有什么好了解的?
Tell me, I'm asking! What is there to understand?
告诉我呀!有什么好了解的?
I started out believing in this trial. I thought it was great,
我以为这场审判是为了伸张正义
now I think it's... it's just a diversion.
现在觉得这只是转移目标
Yes? Diversion from what?
转移什么目标?
You choose six women, you put them on trial,
他们挑六个女人接受审判
you say " They were the evil ones. They were the guilty ones."
然后说她们很邪恶,她们有罪
Because one of the victims happened to write a book!
因为一名受害者刚好写本书
That's why they're on trial and nobody else.
所以只有她们接受审判
Do you know how many camps there were in Europe?
你们知道欧洲有多少集中营吗?
People go on about how much did everyone know.
大家知道多少呢?
Who knew? What did they know?
谁知道?他们知道什么?
Everyone knew!
大家都知道
Our parents, our teachers.
包括我们的父母、师长
That isn't the question.
这不是问题所在
The question is
问题是:
"How could you let this happen?"
你怎么会让这种事发生?
And better,
更重要的是:
"Why didn't you kill yourself when you found out?"
你知道真相后怎么不去自杀?
Thousands! That's how many there were, thousands of camps.
全欧洲有几千个集中营
Everyone knew.
大家都知道
Look at that woman.
看看那个女人
Which woman?
哪一个女人?
The woman you're always staring at.
你一直盯着看的女人
I'm sorry but you are.
你是一直在看她
I don't know which woman you mean.
我不知道你在说谁
You know what I'd do?
你知道我会怎么做吗?
Put the gun in my hand... ...I'd shoot her myself.
拿一把枪,亲手毙了她
Shoot them all.
把她们全都毙了
Why did you not unlock the doors?
妳为什么不把门打开?
Why did you not unlock the doors?
为什么不把门打开?
I've asked all of you and I'm getting no answer.
我问过妳们,可是得不到答案
Two of the victims are in this court.
庭上有两名受害者
They deserve an answer.
她们理应得到答案
This is the SS report.
这是党卫军的报告
You all have copies.
妳们都有副本
This is the report which was written, approved and signed
这是妳们在事件发生以后…
by all of you immediately after the event.
…手写、同意和签名的报告
In the written report...
妳们在报告上面都说…
...you all claim you didn't even know about the fire until after it happened.
…她们被烧死之后妳们才知情
But that isn't true, is it?
但这不是真的,对吧?
Well?
怎么样?
It's not true.
这不是真的
I don't know what you're asking.
我不明白你的问题
The first thing I'm asking is, why didn't you unlock the doors?
我要问的是为什么不开门?
Obviously. For the obvious reason.
理由很显然
We couldn't.
我们不能开门
Why couldn't you?
为什么?
We were guards.
我们是卫兵
Our job was to guard the prisoners.
把囚犯关起来是我们的职责
We couldn't just let them escape.
我们不能让她们逃走
I see.
原来如此
And if they escaped, then you'd be blamed, you'd be charged...
要是她们逃走妳就会被惩罚…
- No. - ...you might even be executed?
- 不- …甚至被处死?
No.
Well then?
那是为什么?
If we'd opened the doors, there would have been chaos.
要是开门就会引起混乱
How could we have restored order?
我们该如何重整秩序?
It happened so fast. It was snowing.
事情发生太快,当时又下雪
The bombs, the flames.
还有炸弹和大火
There were flames all over the village.
村子到处都在起火
Then the screaming began and got worse and worse. And if they'd all come rushing out,
然后尖叫声就愈来愈大声
we couldn't just let them escape.
我们不能打开门让她们逃走
We couldn't. We were responsible for them.
因为我们要负责看好她们
So you did know what was happening. You did know.
所以妳知道发生什么事
You made a choice.
妳也做了选择
You let them die... rather than risk letting them escape.
妳宁愿让她们死也不让她们逃走
The other defendants... have made an allegation against you.
其他的被告都指控妳
Have you heard this allegation?
妳听过这些指控吗?
They say you were in charge.
她们都说是妳做主的
It isn't true. I was just one of the guards.
并不是,我只是其中一名卫兵
She was in charge.
是她做主的
- She was. - It was her idea!
- 就是她- 都是她的主意
Of course she was.
做主的当然是她
Did you write the report?
报告是妳写的吗?
No. No. We all discussed what to say.
不是,我们一起讨论该怎么说
We all wrote it together.
报告是我们一起写的
She wrote it! She wrote the report.
报告是她写的!
- Is that true? - No.
- 这是真的吗?- 不是
Yes, you did!
是妳写的
Does it matter who did?
谁写的重要吗?
She wrote it!
是她写的
I need to see a sample of your handwriting.
我要看妳的笔迹
My handwriting?
我的笔迹?
Yes. I need to establish who wrote the report.
对,我要确定报告是妳写的
I'm sorry, but I really don't see how that's appropriate.
抱歉,我不认为这样合理
Nearly 20 years have gone by.
事情都过了二十年
Take her a piece of paper.
给她一张纸
Counsel, approach the bench.
律师,请过来
Are you really going to compare... handwriting of twenty years ago...
你真要比较二十年前的笔迹…
Counsel, approach the bench.
律师,请过来
I'd rather listen to you.
我宁愿听你朗读
There's no need.
没有必要
I wrote the report.
报告是我写的
Silence, please.
请肃静
Order.
肃静
You have been skipping seminars.
你翘了很多课
I have a piece of information...
我有一个情报
...concerning one of the defendants.
关于其中一位被告
Something they're not admitting.
她们不肯承认的事
What information?
什么情报?
You don't need me to tell you...
我不说你也知道
...it's perfectly clear you have a moral obligation
非常明显地,你有道德责任
to disclose it to the court.
向庭上透露这个情报
It happens this information is favorable to the defendant...
这个情报刚好对那位被告有利
...can help her case.
可以帮助她
It may even affect the outcome...
甚至能影响审判结果
...certainly the sentencing.
绝对能减轻刑期
So?
所以呢?
But there's a problem.
但是有一个问题
The defendant herself is determined to keep this information secret.
那名被告下定决心要保密
A moment, please.
请等一下
Sorry.
抱歉
What are her reasons?
她的理由是什么?
Because she's ashamed.
她感到羞愧
Ashamed of what?
对什么感到羞愧?
Have you spoken to her?
你跟她谈过吗?
Of course not.
当然没有
Why " Of course not"?
为什么“当然没有”?
I can't.
我办不到
I can't do that.
我做不到
I can't talk to her.
我没办法跟她谈话
What we feel isn't important. It's utterly unimportant.
我们的感受完全不重要
The only question is what we do.
重要的是我们怎么做
If people like you don't learn from
如果你不能像我一样
what happened to people like me...
从当事人身上学习
...then what the hell is the point of anything?
这一切又有什么意义?
Schmitz. you have a visitor.
施密兹,妳有访客
Quiet, please.
安静
Gertrude Ballow.
葛楚贝萝
Andreas Michael Springer.
安卓雅史宾格
Michael Berg.
麦克柏格
Walter Sherman.
华特雪曼
Time's up.
时间到了
Are you coming in?
你进不进来?
You took your time.
慢慢来
What is it?
怎么了?
Where you going?
你要去哪里?
I'm sorry. I need to sleep by myself.
对不起,我习惯一个人睡
I'll just be a minute.
一下子就好
Nazi!
臭纳粹!
Nazi whore!
纳粹婊子!
Silence in the court. Silence in the court.
肃静!肃静!
All rise.
请起立
The court finds guilty
本庭判以下被告有罪
the defendants... Rita Beckhart, Caroline Steinhoff...
芮塔贝克哈、卡洛琳史坦荷
...Regina Kroit,
蕾吉娜考特
Angela Zeva and Andrea Lumen...
安洁拉萨瓦和安卓雅卢曼
...ofjointly aiding and abetting murder in 300 cases.
怂恿或协助300起谋杀案
The court finds guilty the defendant Hanna Schmitz...
本庭判被告韩娜施密兹…
...of murder in 300 cases.
…犯下300起谋杀案
The court sentences the accused as follows...
被告的判刑如下
...Rita Beckhart, Caroline Steinhoff,
芮塔贝克哈、卡洛琳史坦荷
Regina Kroit...
蕾吉娜考特
...Angela Zeva and Andrea Lumen...
安洁拉萨瓦和安卓雅卢曼
...to each serve a total sentence in prison... four years and three months.
各判监禁四年三个月
Hanna Schmitz...
韩娜施密兹
...in view of your own admissions and your special role...
念在妳认罪及身分特殊
...you're in a different category.
妳的处分另当别论
The court sentences the accused Schmitz... to imprisonment for life.
本庭判被告施密兹终生监禁
Where are we going?
我们要去哪里?
I said I'll tell you when we get there.
我们到了我再告诉妳
You told me you liked surprises.
妳说妳喜欢惊喜
I like surprises.
我喜欢惊喜
新城西德1976年
She's grown, hasn't she?
她长大了,对吧?
I don't know. It's so long since I saw her,
不晓得,我好久没看到她
Michael, how can I tell?
麦克,我怎么看得出来?
It's my fault. We shouldn't have come unannounced.
我的错,我们不该突然跑来
Daddy's going to live in his own house.
爸爸要住在自己的房子
Mother, I'm afraid I have some bad news...
母亲,我恐怕有些坏消息
...and Julia knows. We've already told her.
我们已经告诉茱莉亚了
Gertrud and I, we are getting a divorce.
我和葛楚要离婚
You don't come for your father's funeral,
你没来参加你父亲的葬礼
but you come for this?
却来告诉我这件事?
It's not easy for me to visit this town.
回到这小镇对我来说很难受
Were you really so unhappy?
你真的这么不快乐?
That's not what I'm saying. That's not what I meant.
我不是这个意思
Well then?
那是什么意思?
And you mustn't worry about Gertrud.
妳不必担心葛楚
I'm going to look after her.
我会照顾她
Anyway, she's already a state prosecutor
反正她当上了检察官
so she earns far more than I do.
赚的钱比我多很多
Michael...
麦克
...I'm not worried about Gertrud.
我担心的不是葛楚
I'm worried about you.
我担心的是你
THE OD YSSEYOF HOMER
“荷马奥德赛”
MichaeI Berg March '59
“麦克柏格59年3月”
"Sing to me of the Man, Muse...
缪思,歌颂命运乖舛的男人
...the man of twists and turns Driven time and again off course...
他总是被迫偏离航向
...once he had plundered The hallowed heights of Troy."
也曾经掠夺特洛伊的宝藏
215, mail.
215,有信
21 7, mail.
217,有信
220, mail.
220,有信
1219.66215 1219. 66215.
Number?
号码?
Open it.
打开它
Testing, testing. One, two, three. Testing, testing.
测音…1、2、3,测音
The Odyssey by Homer.
荷马的《奥德赛》
The Odyssey by Homer.
荷马的《奥德赛》
"Sing to me of the Man, Muse...
缪思,歌颂命运乖舛的男人
...the man of twists and turns Driven time and again off course,
他总是被迫偏离航向
once he had plundered The hallowed heights of Troy."
也曾经掠夺特洛伊的宝藏
"...but they held fast in faith, hoping that others might still come.
但是他坚信其他人会来
Shades of famous heroes, men who died in the old days...
伟大的英雄,去世的伟人
...and ghosts of an even older age I long to see."
还有更久以前死去的鬼魂
"Come, sheathe your sword, let's go to bed together,
磨利你的宝剑,让我们上床吧
Mount my bed and mix in the magic work of love
快上我的床,施展爱的魔力
We'll breed deep trust between us."
我们会深深相信彼此
"Not for all the world,
我绝不屈服
not until you consent to swear, goddess a blinding oath
直到妳发誓,发一个毒誓
you'll never plop some new intrigue to harm me."
妳绝不会阴谋伤害我
"Straightaway she began to swear the oath that I required
她马上照我的话发誓
Never, she would never do me harm...
她永远不会伤害我
...and when she'd finished then, at last...
当她发完毒誓
...I mounted Circes' gorgeous bed.
我终于躺上女妖锡西的床笫
When young Dawn with her rose-red fingers shone once more...
当早晨升起的太阳射出光芒
...they yoked their pair again...
他们再度一起行动
...and out through the gates and echoing colonnade...
走出大门和柱廊
...they whipped the team to a run and on they flew...
不但疾奔,几乎飞行
...holding nothing back, and the princes reached the wheatlands..."
毫不犹豫地奔向绿色大地
"Perfectly astonishing.
真是不可思议
I've always said it was all tricks,
我一直以为他在骗我
but he went off to sleep under my very eyes."
但是他就在我眼前睡着
"He lifted a large newspaper from the table...
他从桌上拿起报纸
...and began stamping his feet and flourishing the stick and the newspaper...
用力踩地板,把报纸卷起来
...to drive Gregor back into his room."
把葛瑞格赶进他的房间
"...even a cake rather like a baba au rhum known as a Zhivago bun..
齐瓦哥面包其实就是兰姆松糕
...and at one time you only had to say to your sleigh driver in Moscow:
有时你只要用俄文向车夫说:
'Zhivago's !'
到齐瓦哥家!
And, rather as if you had said..."
其余的都不用说
The Lady with the Little Dog by Anton Chekhov.
安东契诃夫《牵狗的女人》
"The talk was that a new face had appeared on the promenade...
最新八卦是路上出现新脸孔
...a lady with a little dog.
一个牵狗的女人
Dmitri Dmitritch Gurov had already spent two weeks in Yalta...
狄米托古洛夫在雅尔达待了两周
...so he was bored with it and always looking for fresh faces.
早就感到厌倦,想看到新脸孔
Sitting in the pavilion at Vernet...
他坐在维尔奈饭店大厅
...he saw a young woman walking on the sea-front.
看到一个在海边散步的年轻女子
A fair-haired young lady of medium height, wearing a beret...
中等身材,浅发,戴着贝雷帽
...a white Pomeranian dog was running behind her.
一只白色的博美犬跑在她后面
I want to take out a book.
我想借一本书
Which book?
哪一本书?
Do you have The Lady with the Little Dog?
妳有《牵狗的女人》吗?
What's your name?
妳叫什么?
Hanna Schmitz.
韩娜施密兹
The Lady with the Little Dog.
牵狗的女人
The Lady with the Little Dog.
牵狗的女人,牵狗的女人
1、2、3、4、5、6 1 , 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
The lady with the little dog.
牵狗的女人
The…the… The...the...
The The.
The The.
The The.
西柏林1980年
“多谢上次,我很喜欢”
No letter?
没有信?
No letter. Sign.
没有,签名
“请寄更多罗曼史”
“我觉得席勒需要一个女人”
“收到信吗?回信,小子”
You are Michael Berg?
你是麦克柏格?
Yes.
是的
西柏林1988年
Thank you for calling me.
谢谢你打给我
You got my letter?
你收到我的信吗?
I have it here.
就在这里
As I say,
我说过
Hanna Schmitz is coming up for release very soon.
韩娜施密兹很快就会出狱
Hanna has been in prison for over 20 years.
她坐了超过20年的牢
She has no family. She has no friends.
没有家人,没有朋友
You're her only contact.
你是她唯一有联络的人
And I'm told you don't visit her.
听说你没去看过她
No, I don't.
没错
When she gets out, she's going to need a job.
她出狱后需要一份工作
She's going to need somewhere to live.
也需要住的地方
You can't imagine how frightening
你无法想像要面对现代社会…
the modern world will seem to her.
她会有多惊恐
I have no one else to ask.
我找不到其他人帮忙
If you don't take responsibility for her...
如果你不肯照顾她
...then Hanna has no future at all.
韩娜就没有未来可言
It's kind of you.
妳真好心
Thank you for letting me know.
谢谢妳让我知道
- You're Michael Berg? - Yes.
- 你是麦克柏格?- 是的
I'm Louisa Brenner. Good morning.
我是露易丝布伦纳,早安
How do you do?
你好
We were expecting you earlier.
我们以为你会更早一点来
I should warn you...
我必须警告你
...for a long time Hanna held herself together.
韩娜一直以来都很坚强
She was very purposeful.
她有很强的韧性
In the last few years she's different.
但是这几年她变了
She's let herself go.
她放弃了自己
I'm taking you straight to the canteen.
我直接带你到餐厅
They've just finished their lunch.
他们就快要吃完午饭
Table four.
第四桌
You've grown up, kid.
你长大了,小子
I've got a friend who's a tailor.
我有个朋友是裁缝师
He'll give you a job.
他会给妳一份工作
And I've found you somewhere to live.
我也替妳找到住处
It's a nice place. It's quite small but it's nice.
有点小,不过还不错
You'll like it.
妳一定会喜欢
Thank you.
谢谢你
There are various social programs...
我可以替妳报名
...cultural stuff I can sign you up for.
参加一些不同的社交活动
The public library's very close.
公立图书馆也很近
You read a lot?
妳常读书吗?
I prefer being read to.
我比较喜欢听别人朗读
That's over now, isn't it?
已经结束了,对吧?
Did you get married?
你有没有结婚?
I did. Yes, I did.
有,曾经有
We have a daughter.
我们有一个女儿
I'm not seeing as much of her as I'd like.
不常见到她,虽然我很想
I'd like to see a great deal more of her.
很想多见到她
The marriage didn't last.
我们的婚姻维持不久
Have you spent a lot of time thinking about the past?
妳常常想起过去吗?
You mean, with you?
你是说跟你在一起的时光?
No. No.
不,不是
I didn't mean with me.
我不是指我们的事
Before the trial I never thought about the past.
在审判前,我没想过往事
I never had to.
从来不必想起那些事
And now?
现在呢?
What do you feel now?
妳现在有什么感觉?
It doesn't matter what I feel.
我有什么感觉不重要
It doesn't matter what I think.
我有什么想法也不重要
The dead are still dead.
人死不能复生
I wasn't sure what you'd learned.
我不确定妳是否从中学到什么
Well, I have learned, kid.
我学会了一件事,小子
I've learned to read.
我学会了阅读
I'll pick you up next week, okay?
我下礼拜再来接妳
That sounds a good plan.
听起来不错
We can do it quietly or we can make a fuss.
低调或是大肆庆祝?
Quietly.
低调一点
Okay, quietly.
好,低调
Quietly.
低调一点
Take care, kid.
保重了,小子
You, too. I'll see you next week.
妳也是,下礼拜见
I've come to collect Hanna Schmitz.
我来接韩娜施密兹
Please, take a seat.
请坐一下
She didn't pack.
她没有打包
She never intended to leave.
她从没想过要离开
"The talk was that a new face... ...had appeared on the promenade...
最新八卦是路上出现新脸孔
...a lady with a little dog."
一个牵狗的女人
She left me a message...
她留给我一个信息
...a sort of will.
算是遗嘱吧
I'll read the bit that concerns you.
我念一下跟你有关的部份
"There is money in the old tea tin.
旧的茶锡罐里有钱
Give it to Michael Berg.
把钱交给麦克柏格
He should send it, alongside the 7,000 Marks in the bank...
请他把钱和银行里的七千马克
...to the daughter who survived the fire.
寄给那场火灾生还者的女儿
It's for her.
那笔钱是给她的
She should decide what to do with it.
她可以决定怎么处理这笔钱
And tell Michael I said hello."
告诉麦克我跟他问好
In here.
这里请
Thank you.
谢谢
Ms. Mather?
玛塔女士?
Yes.
是的
You're Michael Berg.
你是麦克柏格?
Yes.
是的
I was expecting you.
我在等你
- Please. - Thank you.
- 请坐- 谢谢妳
So you must tell me, exactly what brings you to the United States?
请告诉我你为什么来美国?
I was here already. I was at a conference in Boston.
我本来就在波士顿参加会议
You're a lawyer?
你是律师?
Yes.
是的
I was intrigued by your letter
我对你的来信感到好奇
but I can't say I wholly understood it.
但不是很明白
You attended the trial?
你去看过那场审判?
Yes, almost 20 years ago.
是的,大约二十年前
I was a law student.
我当时是法律系学生
I remember you, I remember your mother very clearly.
我记得妳,还有妳母亲
My mother died in lsrael a good many years ago.
我母亲多年前在以色列过世了
I'm sorry.
很遗憾
Go on, please.
请继续说
Perhaps you heard...
也许妳已听说…
...Hanna Schmitz recently died.
韩娜施密兹最近去世
She killed herself.
她自杀了
She was a friend of yours?
她是你的朋友?
A kind of friend.
算是一种朋友吧
It's as simple as this.
就这么简单
Hanna was illiterate for the greater part of her life.
她大半辈子都是个文盲
Is that an explanation of her behavior?
这能解释她的行为吗?
No.
Or an excuse?
或者是借口?
No, no.
当然不是
She taught herself to read when she was in prison.
她在牢里自己学会阅读
I sent her tapes.
我寄录音带给她
She had always liked being read to.
她一向都喜欢别人为她朗读
Why don't you start by being honest with me?
你何不一开始就说老实话?
At least start that way.
至少从头开始
What was the nature of your friendship?
你和她是什么关系?
When I was young I had an affair with Hanna.
我年轻时和她有一段恋情
I'm not sure I can help you, Mr. Berg, and...
我不确定我能帮你
...even if I could I'm not willing to.
就算可以我也不想
I was almost 16 when I took up with her.
我认识她时快满16岁
The affair only lasted a summer. But...
那只是一段夏日恋情,但是…
But what?
但是什么?
I see.
我懂了
And did Hanna Schmitz acknowledge the effect she'd had on your life?
她有没有承认她对你的影响?
She'd done much worse to other people.
她对别人做过更糟的事
I've never told anyone.
我没告诉过任何人
People ask all the time what I learned in the camps.
大家总问我在集中营学到什么
But the camps weren't therapy.
集中营可不是疗养院
What do you think these places were?
你认为集中营是什么地方?
Universities?
大学吗?
We didn't go there to learn.
我们并不是去那里学东西
One becomes very clear about these things.
只要去过就会清楚明白
What are you asking for?
你到底要什么?
Forgiveness for her?
要我原谅她?
Or do you just want to feel better yourself?
或是只想让自己好过一点?
My advice, go to the theatre
若想洗涤心灵…
if you want catharsis.
我建议你去看舞台剧
Please. Go to literature.
或是去看文学巨作
Don't go to the camps.
千万不要去集中营
Nothing comes out of the camps.
你不会从集中营学到什么
Nothing.
什么都没有
What she wanted...
她只想要…
...what she wanted was to leave you her money.
她只想要把她的钱留给妳
I have it with me.
我把钱带来了
To do what?
我要用来做什么?
As you think fit.
随便妳
Here.
拿去
When I was a little girl, I had a tea tin for my treasures.
我小时候也有一个锡罐装宝物
Not quite like this.
跟这个不太一样
It had Cyrillic lettering.
上面是西里尔字母
I took it with me to the camp... but it got stolen.
我带到集中营,结果被偷走
What was in it?
里面有什么?
Sentimental things.
我珍贵的东西
A piece of hair from our dog.
家狗身上的几根毛
Some tickets to the operas my father had taken me to.
我爸带我去看的歌剧门票
It wasn't stolen for its contents.
被偷不是因为里面的东西
It was the tin itself...
锡罐才有价值
that was valuable what you could do with it.
它可以用来做很多事
There's nothing I can do with this money.
我用不着这笔钱
If I give it to anything associated with the extermination of the Jews...
捐给和屠杀事件相关的团体
...then to me it seems... like absolution and that's something
那会让我觉得是种赦免
I'm neither willing nor in a position to grant.
我不想也没资格那么做
I was thinking maybe an organization to encourage literacy.
我想的是鼓励阅读的机构
Good. Good.
很好,很好
Do you know if there is a Jewish organization?
妳知道有类似的犹太机构吗?
I'll be surprised if there isn't.
没有的话我才会惊讶
There's a Jewish organization for everything.
各式各样的犹太机构都有
Not that illiteracy is a very Jewish problem.
虽然犹太人多半都不是文盲
Why don't you find out? Send them the money.
你自己去查,把钱寄给他们
Shall I do it in Hanna's name?
我该用韩娜的名字吗?
As you think fit.
随你便
I'll keep the tin.
锡罐我留着
Thank you.
谢谢妳
1995年1月
Where are we going?
我们要去哪里?
I thought you liked surprises.
我以为妳喜欢惊喜
I do. I do like surprises.
是啊,我很喜欢惊喜
1923-19BB
韩娜施密兹1922-1988
Who was she?
她是谁?
That's what I wanted to tell you.
这就是我想告诉妳的事
That's why we're here.
也是我们来此的原因
So tell me.
那就告诉我吧
I was 15.
当年我才15岁
I was coming home from school.
我从学校回家
I was feeling ill.
觉得身体不舒服
And a woman helped me.
有个女人帮了我
THE READER
原著小说由皇冠文化集团发行