I can't comment without violating our agreement that i'll not criticize your work.
我无法在不违法协议的情况下 批评你的作品
Then what was "Oh, boy"?
那你还说"老天爷"
Great restraint on my part.
我已经相当克制自己了
There's nothing wrong with the science here.
我的科学研究没有问题
Perhaps you mean a different thing than I do
你所谓的"科学研究" 跟我的相比
when you say, "Science."
相差甚远吧
You actually had it right in the first place.
其实刚刚的才是对的
Once again, you've fallen for one of my classic pranks.
你又掉进我的 经典恶作剧陷阱了
Now here's a peculiar e-mail.
收到一封很怪的邮件
The president of the university wants me to meet him
大学校长要我明天早上8点
at his office tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m.
去他办公室见他
- Why? - It doesn't say.
-为什么 -没说
It must be an emergency.
肯定是紧急事件
Everyone at the university knows I eat breakfast at 8:00
大学里的人都知道 我8点吃早餐
and move my bowels at 8:20.
8点20肠胃开始消化
Yes, how did we live before Twitter?
没用啁啾鸟网站前过的是什么日子
I guess you'll find out what it is in the morning.
明天早上就知道什么事了
That's 14 hours away.
还要14个小时呢
For the next 840 minutes,
接下来840分钟
I'm effectively one of Heisenberg's particles;
我会像海森堡的粒子
I know where I am or I know how fast I'm going,
只知道自己的地点或移动速度
but I can't know both.
但却不能同时知道两者
Yet how am I supposed to carry on
那我怎么受得了
with this huge annoying thing hovering over my head?
这些恼人的东西老在我脑子里乱转
Yeah, I know the feeling.
我很清楚这种感觉
Sheldon, it's 2:00 in the morning.
谢尔顿 现在是早上2点啊
Why is everybody keep telling me what time it is?
怎么每个人都跟我说现在几点
You, the president of the university, his wife,
你 大学校长 还有他妻子
their sullen teenage daughter.
他们气急败坏的女儿
That entire family is fascinated by what time it is and whether people know it.
他们全家都对现在几点 别人知不知道很感兴趣
You went to President Seibert's house in the middle of the night?
你居然在半夜跑去 塞伯特校长家
He didn't respond to my e-mail,
他没回复我的邮件
his phone number is unlisted.
我又不知道他的电话
Tell me what my other option was.
那我还能怎么办
You could have waited until morning.
你可以等到早上啊
I know, look who I'm talking to.
对 对于你是不可能
Do you remember the grant proposal I submitted
你还记得我向
to the National Science Foundation to detect slow-moving monopoles
国家科学基金会提交的 申请去北极勘测
at the magnetic North Pole?
慢速磁单极子的申请吗
Hardly a day goes by when I don't think about it.
一天不记都不行呢
Well, a space opened up
基金会的北极考察队员
at the last minute on the NSF expedition to the Arctic Circle.
确定最后一刻 空出了空位
He offered to send you to the North Pole?
他批准让你去北极
In fact, he was quite enthusiastic.
他还相当热情呢
He said, "Frankly,
他说"坦白说"
if I could send you tonight, I would."
"我巴不得今晚就送你去"
Okay, well, do you want to go?
那你想去吗
I'm a theoretical physicist.
我是理论物理学家
A career I chose in no small part because it's indoors,
我选这个职业完全出于能在家办公
but if I'm able to detect slow-moving magnetic monopoles there,
但如果我能在北极 勘测出慢速磁单极子
I will be the scientis to confirm string theory.
我就能成为证明弦理论的科学家
People will write books about me.
人们会写书赞扬我
Third-graders will create macaroni-art dioramas depicting scenes from my life.
三年级学生会做意粉画 描绘我的一生呢
Sure, maybe a tableau of me trying to pummel you to death.
当然 说不定画个我揍死你的场景
I'm on the horns of a dilemma.
真叫人难以取舍
Can you imagine me, Sheldon Cooper, at the North Pole?
你能想象我 谢尔顿·库珀 在北极吗
Easy peasy, I'm doing it right now.
小菜一碟 我现在就想着呢
I'm not good with cold, Leonard.
但我怕冷啊 莱纳德
How often have we had to leave a movie theater
我们都多少次因为我喝冰吸太快
because I got a headache
结果头疼
from drinking the Icee too fast?
提前离开电影院了
Well, then don't go.
那就别去
How can you say that?
你怎么能这么说
The scientific opportunity of a lifetime
难得的科学机遇就在眼前
presents itself and my best friend says "Don't go."
我最好的朋友却让我不要去
How can I possibly go?
我怎么去啊
Sheldon, what are the words I can say right now
谢尔顿 我到底要说什么
to end this conversation and let me go back to sleep?
才能结束这个话题 让我回去睡觉
Odd, President Seibert posed the exact same question.
真奇怪 塞伯特校长也这么问我
It wasn't. His wife set their dogs on me and rendered the question moot.
没结果 她妻子放狗咬我 结果没下文了
Just imagine. If he says yes,
想象一下 如果他答应了
we'll have an entire summer without Sheldon.
我们就能享受整个没谢尔顿的夏天
We could play outside.
我们能去户外玩儿
We could sit on the left side of the couch.
我们能坐在沙发左边
I could use the bathroom at 8:20.
我能在8点20上厕所
Our dreams are very small, aren't they?
我们的梦想真渺小啊
Good news, gentlemen, I have tentatively accepted...
好消息 先生们 我暂时接受了
...the invitation to join the Arctic Expedition.
加入北极考察队的邀请
- It's not gonna be the same without you. - Godspeed.
-没有你怎么行 -祝马到成功
Thank you, but your sentiments may be premature.
谢谢 但别高兴得太早
Ooh, I don't like where this is going.
我有不祥的预感
I would like to propose...
我正式提议
that the three of you accompany me.
你们三个和我一起去
Is this just so we won't touch your stuff while you're away?
是为了确保你走后 我们不会碰你的东西么
I'll admit that was a concern.
我承认我是有此顾虑
I'll need a support team.
我需要一个团队协助我
And the three of you
你们三个呢
are my first choice.
是我的最佳人选
Well, there are others who might be more qualified,
的确有很多人比你们更加够格
but the thought of interviewing them gave me a stomachache.
但一想到要面试他们我就胃疼
Now, I know I'm proposing an enormous undertaking,
我知道这个提议比较重大
so why don't you take a few moments to discuss it?
你们花几分钟讨论一下吧
We're not really gonna go to the North Pole
我们不会真要和他
I'm still within earshot!
我现在还能听得到
You may want to wait for my door to close.
你们得等我把门关上
We're not really gonna go
我们不会真要和他
to the North Pole with him, are we?
跑去北极吧
Hang on. Let's talk about it.
等下 咱们想想
This is a National Science Foundation expedition.
这是国家科学基金探险项目
I don't know how we can turn it down.
咱们怎么能拒绝呢
Easy. Instead of saying, "No, we don't want to go on an NSF expedition,"
简单 不是说我们不想参加基金探险项目
say, "No, we don't want to spend
而是我们不想花
"three months stuck in a cabin in the Arctic Circle
跟一个疯子杵在北极圈的小木屋里
with an anal nutbag."
长达三个月
But if we were part of the team that confirmed string theory,
但如果我们能成为证实弦理论团队的一员
we could drink for free in any bar in any college town
我们就能去任何大学城的酒吧免费喝酒
with a university that has a strong science program.
只要那个大学有比较强的科学研究组织
Howard, this is big science.
霍华德 这可是重大科研项目
You could be the engineer who builds the equipment
你可以成为那个组建仪器的工程师
that puts us on the cover of magazines.
我们能因此上杂志封面呢
I could also be the engineer
我也可以成为那个造出一把弩弓
who builds the crossbow that kills Sheldon.
用来射杀谢尔顿的工程师
You still might get on a magazine.
你仍然可能因此上杂志
So you guys are seriously considering this?
你们俩真的慎重考虑过了
- Yes. - And you think you can put up with Sheldon?
-是的 -你们觉得能受得了谢尔顿
Well, I'm a Hindu.
我是印度人嘛
My religion teaches that if we suffer in this life
我的信仰告诉我 今生的苦难
we are rewarded in the next.
来世将转为福音
Three months at the North Pole with Sheldon,
和谢尔顿在北极历练三个月
and I'm reborn as a well-hung billionaire with wings!
我能重生成一个身材火爆又会飞的亿万富翁
Well, gentlemen, have you reached a decision?
先生们 做出决定了么
Oh, damn it. Peer pressure. Fine.
晕死 给我压力 从了
as I am the expedition's team leader,
既然我是考察队的队长
protocol dictates that be phrased, "Fine, sir."
按规定你应该说"好的 队长"
there will be a briefing.
会有新生培训的
I need access to the Cheesecake Factory's walk-in freezer.
我想进入芝士蛋糕厂的步入式冷藏室
Now, honey, I already told you, the hamburger
亲爱的 我说过了
meat is fresh and stored at a safe temperature.
汉堡的肉饼是冷鲜保存的
No. This is to train for a three-month expedition to the magnetic North Pole.
不 这回是为了三个月的北极考察训练
I don't know how that sentence could possibly confuse you...
我不知道这句话 哪里让你听不懂了
but to elaborate, I'm going to the Arctic Circle
说详细点 我将和莱纳德 沃罗威茨 库萨帕里
with Leonard, Wolowitz and Koothrappali.
一切去北极圈
- Yes. - For three months?
-是的 -去三个月
Is that a yes or a no on the freezer?
冷藏室的事你到底是同意还是不同意啊
The woman has the attention span of a gnat.
这女人的注意力跟小虫虫差不多
- Hey, Leonard. - Hey.
-嗨 莱纳德 -嗨
Sheldon says you're going to the North Pole.
谢尔顿说你们要去北极
Yeah. Pretty cool, huh?
是啊 另类吧
Yeah. I'm just a little surprised you didn't tell me.
是啊 只是有点惊讶 你没告诉我
Oh, well, it all happened kind of fast.
事情发生得太快了
And we had to get physicals and buy thermal underwear
我们忙着体检 买保暖内衣
and study up on, you know, snow and stuff.
还得研究下 积雪这些东西
Sorry, I was gonna tell you.
抱歉 我本来要告诉你的
Oh, hey, no, you don't have to apologize.
你不用道歉
There's no reason you have to tell me.
没有说你必须告诉我
I was just... you know, surprised.
我只不过 有点惊讶罢了
Yes, yes, you were busy,
是啊 你很忙
you were surprised, all very fascinating.
你很惊讶 激动人心
Now where do we stand on the freezer?
冷藏室的事说到哪了
Actually, it would help.
事实上 会有帮助的
All right, I'll see what I can do.
好吧 我尽量吧
So, three months at the North Pole.
去北极呆三个月
I'm sorry, but at what point do you put this
不好意思 你所谓的"尽量"
"see what you can do" plan into action?
到底是什么意思
Just a warning, Sheldon.
给你提个醒 谢尔顿
The freezer locks from the outside.
那个冷藏室是从外面锁门的
- She seems upset to you? - No.
-你觉得她难过吗 -没有
- Did she seem upset to you? - No.
-你觉得她难过吗 -没有
Oh, good, I got it right.
很好 我猜对了
Two for two. I'm on fire.
两击两中 我真厉害
I mean, I know she's not my girlfriend or anything,
我知道她不是我的女朋友
but wouldn't you think she'd feel a little bad
但是你不觉得我整个夏天都不在
that I'm going to be gone for the whole summer?
她会感到些许的难过吗
That feels like a bonus question.
感觉像个附加题
I'm gonna stop here while I'm ahead but I've had a great time.
见好就收啦 我好开心哦
All right, the purpose of this drill
好了 这次的训练目的
is to acclimate us to the use of tools in extreme temperatures
是使我们适应在即将面对的 北极圈内极度寒冷的温度下
such as we will face in the Arctic Circle.
使用各种工具
Where are your tools?
你的工具呢
All right, team, open up your practice kits.
好了 队员们 打开练习工具箱
As the university did not permit me
由于校方不允许我
to bring the actual equipment we'll be using
把实际用到的器材带到
to the Cheesecake Factory, because apparently,
蛋糕厂来 因为貌似呢
I'm "ridiculous,"
我简直"不可理喻"
I've provided substitutes
我提供的替代器材
which will exercise your fine motor skills.
将极好地锻炼你们的动手技巧
Leonard, you will be doing a series of complex mathematical problems
莱纳德 你要处理一系列 复杂的数学问题
on a vintage Casio model 1175 calculator watch I received
使用我在3年级时勇夺 地球科学金牌时获得的
when I won the Earth Science medal in 3rd grade.
老式卡西欧1175型计算器手表
Treat it with respect.
要好好待它
Raj, you will be painting sideburns and a Van Dyke
拉杰 你要在 六英寸高的精灵王子模型上
on a six-inch figurine of Legolas the elf.
画出连鬓胡和短尖髯
a Van Dyke is a goatee without a mustache.
短尖髯是没有八字胡的山羊胡
Wolowitz, you will be completing
沃罗威茨 你要在
a series of delicate surgical procedures
经典儿童游戏"手术"上面
on the classic children's game "Operation."
完成一系列精细外科手术
To begin with, you will
首先
"remove funny bone for two hundred dollars."
切除尺骨 赢得200美刀
For this I went to MIT.
我去麻省理工就因为这个
I think I swallowed some paint!
我好像吞了一些颜料
I can't press any of the buttons with my gloves.
带着手套 我按不了按键
Adversity is to be expected.
万事开头难
Oh, boy, am I gonna get sued.
靠 这下我要被起诉了
Okay, I can't do this.
我做不到
Gentlemen, use your imagination.
先生们 想象一下
Did Han Solo let Luke Skywalker
韩梭罗让天行者卢克
freeze to death on the ice planet of Hoth?
冻死在冰雪星球霍斯上了吗
He cut open a tauntaun
他切开一只圣兽
and used its internal body heat to warm him up.
用它内部的体热给他取暖
Hold him down and I'll cut him open.
把他摁倒 我来剁开他
Hang on, I know I don't possess the tools of leadership,
等一下 我知道我不具备领导潜质
but I don't understand why we can't assemble the equipment
但我不理解为什么不能在考察站
inside the hut and then take it outside.
装配好器材然后再拿出去呢
I hadn't thought of that.
我没想到哦
I guess we're done here.
训练完毕
Here, drink slash eat this.
来 尝尝这个
Hot chocolate with a stick of butter.
热巧克力加一块黄油
Because in the frigid temperatures in the Arctic,
因为在北极的严寒下
we need to consume at least 5,000 calories a day
我们每天至少要摄入5千卡路里
just to maintain our body weight.
来维持自身体重
Sheldon, you know I can't eat butter.
谢尔顿 你明知我不能吃黄油
I'm lactose intolerant.
我会乳糖过敏
Way ahead of you, that's an
早就想到了 那是一块
"I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" stick.
"难以置信 居然不含黄油"[人造奶油]
But mammy, all the other guys are going to the North Pole.
妈咪 但是别人都要去北极
I don't care what the other guys are doing.
我不管别人做什么
If the other guys jumped in the Bay of Bengal and tried to swim to Sri Lanka,
如果他们想要跳孟加拉湾 游泳去斯里兰卡
would you follow them?
你也跟着去吗
If you were standing behind me nagging, I might.
你在我身后唠叨的话 我就跳
Don't talk back to your mother.
别跟你母亲顶嘴
This trip is much too dangerous, Rajesh.
这个太危险了 拉杰
Howard, tell them.
霍华德 告诉他们
Doctor and Mrs. Koothrappali, namaste.
库萨帕里医生和夫人 你们好
I understand your concern,
我能理解你们的担心
but if it'll make you feel any better, my mother is fine with me going,
如果能让你们感觉好一点 连我母亲都同意让我去呢
and this is a woman who kept a safety rail on my bed until I was 17.
她可是直到我17岁 才把我床上的安全栏拿掉
So, she has no problem with her son being eaten by a walrus?
她不关心她儿子 会不会被海象吃掉?
That's very unlikely, Mrs. Koothrappali.
这不可能 库萨帕里夫人
it'll be from frostbite, gangrene, acute sunburn
也只会因为冻伤 坏疽 严重晒伤
or being ripped to shreds by a 1,500 pound polar bear.
或者被1500磅重的北极熊撕成碎片
Ma, I'm putting you on speakerphone with Raj's parents.
妈妈 我把你接到免提上 跟拉杰的父母通话
Can you tell them that you're okay with me going to the Arctic?
您能告诉他们 您同意我去北极吗
I thought you said Arkansas!
我以为你说的是阿肯色州
You never listen to me!
你从来都不仔细听
He doesn't tell me anything!
他什么都不告诉我
He lives a secret life because he's ashamed!
他就知道自惭形秽 苟且偷生
Hey, Leonard, can I talk to you for a sec?
莱纳德 能跟你谈谈吗
Sure, but let's go out here where there's a little less yelling and guilt.
当然 去外面说吧 那里少一些尖叫和罪恶
Well, I got you a little going away present.
我给你准备了一份送别礼物
Oh, no, no, no, not just a blanket.
不对 不只是毯子
See, it has sleeves.
看见没 还有袖子呢
So, you can, you know, be all snoodled up
这样你就能蜷在里面
while you do your science stuff.
搞你的科研了
Oh, I'm gonna miss you.
我会想你的
- See you later. - Bye.
-回见 -再见
Why don't you believe me?
为什么不信我
'Cause it doesn't make sense to me!
因为我无法理解
How can it be that in the entire country of India,
印度这么大一个国家
there isn't one Outback Steakhouse?!
怎么会连一家澳美客牛排坊都没有
Sheldon... Sheldon?
谢尔顿 谢尔顿
I want a cookie, Meemaw.
奶奶 我要吃饼干
But Meemaw just made cookies.
但是奶奶刚刚做了饼干
Listen, I don't know if I can go on the expedition.
我不知道该不该参加这次科考
I don't think I can go to the North Pole.
我觉得我不能去北极
I know you're concerned about disappointing me
我明白 你怕我会失望
but I want you to take comfort from the knowledge
但我希望你能得到些许安慰
that my expectations of you are very low.
我对你的期望值其实非常低
Yeah, that's very comforting.
确实很安慰人
Comforting is a part of leadership.
安慰队员是领导的职务
It's not a part I care for, but such is my burden.
我虽不在意 但仍然是我的负担
Terrific, it's just that I don't think Penny wants me to go.
不错 只是我觉得佩妮不想让我走
Assuming that's a valid reason not to go, which it isn't,
假设这是不去的正当理由 实际上不是
how do you know this? Did she say it?
你怎么知道呢 是她说的么
But she said she was gonna miss me and she gave me this.
但是她说她会想我 还送这个给我
It's a blanket with sleeves.
带袖子的毛毯
Oh, that's clever.
真聪明的设计
Let me see if I understand this correctly.
看看我是否正确理解了
Her missing you is an emotional state you find desirable?
她想念你 是你非常向往的 情感状态
- Yes, obviously. - All right.
-当然啦 -那行
Well, given that missing you is predicated on you leaving,
但是她想念你是建立在你要离开的基础上的
logic dictates you must leave.
从逻辑上讲 你必须去
Yes, okay, but I'm gonna be gone for three months.
话虽如此 但这一去就是三个月啊
What if she doesn't miss me that long and she meets someone else?
要是她不再想我了 另觅新欢怎么办
She does have a short attention span.
她的注意广度[注意力集中时长]确实比较短
Leonard, you may be right.
莱纳德 也许你是对的
It appears that Penny secretly wants you
看来佩妮暗中表现出
in her life in a very intimate and carnal fashion.
想跟你发生亲密肉体接触的欲望
You really think so?
你真的这样想?
Even in my sleep-deprived state, I've managed to
即使处于失眠状态 我都可以
pull off another one of my classic pranks.
成功上演另一出经典恶作剧
Oh, Leonard, what time is it?
莱纳德 几点了
It's 7:00 a.m. I'm sorry it's early,
早晨七点 抱歉这么早打扰你
but we're leaving soon, and I needed to talk to you.
但我们马上就出发了 我想跟你谈谈
What did you mean when you said you're going to miss me?
你说你会想我 是什么意思
You'll be gone and I'll notice.
你离开了 我会发现嘛
Okay, well, um, what about this?
那这个呢
What does this mean?
什么意思
Wine, credit card and late night television are a bad combination.
酗酒 乱刷卡和熬夜看电视 都没啥好处
What about that really long hug?
那个长长的拥抱呢
What did that mean?
那又是什么意思
That wasn't a long hug.
不算长长的拥抱呀
It was at least five Mississippis.
至少持续了五秒钟
A standard hug is two Mississippis tops.
一般拥抱不超过两秒钟
Leonard, I don't know what to tell you.
莱纳德 我不知道有什么可说的
It was just a hug.
就是个拥抱嘛
Glad we cleared that up.
很高兴交待清楚了
I guess I'll see you.
后会有期
Okay, have a safe trip.
一路顺风
- Bye. - Okay, bye.
-再见 -再见
It means I wish you weren't going.
意思是舍不得你走
All right, men, we begin initial assembly
好了 先生们 明早七点整
and deployment of the testing equipment
我们开始前期装配
starting tomorrow at 0700 hours,
和部署测试仪器
but until then, you are all off duty.
在那之前的时间 你们自由支配
I suggest you keep the shenanigans to a minimum
我建议你们 尽量别捣乱
as medical help is 18 hours away by dogsled.
因为雪橇救护队要18小时才能到达
What are you working on?
你在搞什么玩意
Hey, guys, can I just say something?
伙计们 我能说几句吗
How about we take a moment to think about
我们是不是应该仔细想想
where we are right now?
我们所在的位置
This is literally the top of the world.
这算是 世界之巅了
Only a handful of people in all of human history
人类历史上只有屈指可数的几位
will ever see what we are going to see.
能目睹我们看到的景象
It is remarkable.
相当有纪念意义
So, who's up for a movie?
谁想看电影
Good idea, what do you think?
好主意 看什么呢
Ice Station Zebra or John Carpenter's The Thing?
《大北极》还是约翰·卡朋特的《怪形》
I say double feature.
双片连映吧
Reconstituted Thai food.
"再造"泰国菜
- Did you bring the dehydrated low-sodium soy sauce? - Check.
-带了脱水低钠酱油吗 -带了
- Freeze-dried spicy mustard? - Check.
-冻干辣芥末 -带了
Flash-frozen brown rice, not white?
速冻糙米 不是白米
You're in my spot.
你占了我的专座
There's no time for a crossbow. Find me an icicle.
等不及做弩弓了 给我找根冰柱
Three months. This is gonna be great!
三个月啊 真是爽到家了