天才 第一季 Genius Season 1 第1集: 爱因斯坦:第一章 Chapter One

上映日期: 2,017

语言: 英语

影片类型: 剧情 / 传记 / 历史

导演: 朗·霍华德 / 明基·斯皮罗 / 凯文·霍克斯 / 詹姆斯·哈维斯 / 肯尼士·比勒

演员: 杰弗里·拉什 / 强尼·弗林 / 尼古拉斯·罗尔 / 萨曼莎·科利 / 拉尔夫·布朗 / 理查德·托普尔 / 乔·弗莱彻 / 克莱尔·拉什布鲁克 / 艾丽西娅·冯·里特贝格 / 西尔维纳·布克包尔 /


台词
Good morning, Herr Minister.
早安 部长先生
Good morning, Eric. To the Reichstag, please.
早安 埃里克 请去国会大厦
What are they doing?
他们在干什么
Eric!
埃里克
Walther Rathenau
瓦尔特·拉特瑙
Minister of - Foreign Affairs for the Weimar Republic?
魏玛共和国的外交事务部长吗
- Eric, drive! - Death to the Elders of Zion.
-埃里克开车 -《犹太人贤士议定书》去死吧
And this is for ruining Germany
谁让你摧毁了德国
Jew pig.
犹太猪
All right.
好的
Go, go, go, go!
快走
《犹太周六报》
"一个新的选举谎言"
I have a proposition to make.
我有一个提议
Not now, Albert.
现在不要 阿尔伯特
It is an unorthodox idea, but...
这是一个异端的想法 但是
Please be quiet.
请安静
But crazier thoughts of mine have worked - in the past.
但是我曾经实现过更疯狂的想法
Pick me up!
抱我起来
Oh, God. Oh, God! Oh, God!
我的天啊 天啊
God would most likely disapprove of this idea
上帝可能会不喜欢这个想法
but I would convince him.
但是我会说服他的
Move in with me, Betty.
跟我一起生活 贝蒂
You haven't given me an answer.
你还没给我答案
You're late for your lecture.
你的课迟到了
My lecture can wait.
我的课可以等等
Fine.
好的
Since you have so much time, shall we address your schedule?
既然你这么闲我们可以安排一下你的时间表吗
The Telegraph, Life Magazine
《电讯报》 《生命杂志》
and the Los Angeles Times have all requested interviews, and
以及《洛杉矶时报》都希望可以进行采访
please don't forget you invited Minister Rathenau
请不要忘了你周日邀请了拉特瑙部长
to dinner on Sunday.
参加晚宴
Betty
贝蒂
move in with me.
跟我一起生活
You have a wife.
你有妻子
Whom I adore.
那是我爱慕的人
You're insane.
你疯了
No.
I'm quite rational, actually.
实际上我非常理性
Monogamy is not natural.
一夫一妻制是不正常的
It is a construct of religious authority.
那是神权的产物
And a foolish faith in authority, my dear Betty
亲爱的贝蒂 对于神权愚蠢的忠诚
is the worst enemy of truth.
是真理最大的敌人
Truth being that rules don't apply to you?
真理就是你不用遵守规则吗
I love Mozart and Bach.
我爱莫扎特和巴赫
I love the Swiss Alps and the Baltic Sea.
我爱瑞士的阿尔卑斯山和波罗的海
Why can't I love you and Elsa?
为什么我不能爱你和爱尔莎
For a man who is an expert on the universe
对于一位宇宙的专家来说
you don't know the first thing about people, do you?
你不知道人与人之间最基本的事 对吗
No, no, no.
Forgive me, Betty.
原谅我 贝蒂
Perhaps...
也许
triangular geometry is not as simple as I'd like it to be.
三角几何没有我希望得那么简单
Professor Einstein's office.
爱因斯坦教授的办公室
Yeah, one moment, please.
请稍等
It's Mileva Maric.
是米列娃·马里奇
I can't.
我不能
Not now.
现在不能
I apologize. The professor is busy.
对不起 教授很忙
May I take a message?
可以留言吗
Yes, Frau.
好的 夫人
She says it's urgent.
她说事情很紧急
As you said, I'm late for my lecture.
正如你所言 我上课迟到了
What is...
什么是
time?
时间
A deceptively simple question
一个令人迷惑的简单问题
yet it is the key to understanding relativity.
但是这是理解相对论的关键
It is also the reason my hair is going gray.
也是让我想白了头的原因
When we describe motion
当我们描述运动的时候
we do so as a function of time:
我们把它描述为时间的函数
ten meters per second, 100 miles per hour.
每秒十米 每小时160公里
But a mathematical description of velocity is moot
但是速度的数学描述是没有意义的
unless we can define "Time."
除非我们可以定义"时间"
Is time universal?
时间是不变的吗
In other words, is there an audible tick-tock
换言之 整个宇宙的时间
throughout the galaxy?
都是一样的滴答声吗
A master clock, so to speak
类似一个精密的钟表
forging ahead like Mozart's metronome?
好比莫扎特的节拍器一样稳步前行
The answer, my friends
我的朋友们 答案是
is no.
否定的
Time is not absolute.
时间不是绝对的
In fact, for us believing physicists,
实际上 像我们这些坚定的物理学家
the distinction between the past, present
过去 现在和未来的区别
and future is but a stubborn illusion.
只是一种根深蒂固的错觉
A lot to consider, I know.
要深思熟虑 我知道
I know.
我知道
But understanding time is essential
但是理解时间是理解相对论的
to understanding relativity.
必要条件
Now
现在
I want you all to close your eyes.
我希望你们闭上双眼
Not to worry. I don't bite.
不要慌 我不咬人
But I am on the lookout for a new pen.
但是我想要一只新的笔
Go on.
继续
Close your eyes.
闭上你们的眼睛
To truly grasp the idea of time
为了真正理解时间的意义
we must take a step back and ask: what is light?
我们必须退回一步去思考 什么是光
So, journey with me to the Sun.
所以 和我一起去太阳旅行
Light travels from the Sun to the Earth through space, yes?
光通过空间从太阳传到地球 对吗
When I was your age, I wanted to know
当我像你们这么大时 我想知道
how can something... light...
光是怎么
travel through nothing... space?
穿过空间的
Let us isolate a light beam and travel alongside it
我们孤立一道光束并且与它同行
but let us go faster.
但是我们走快一点
Are you there with me?
你们跟上我了吗
Faster. Faster!
再快一点
What is time?
什么是时间
Herr Einstein, wake up!
爱因斯坦先生 醒醒
I wasn't sleeping, sir. I was thinking.
我没有睡觉 先生 我在思考
Oh, really?
真的吗
About what, exactly?
在想什么
The secrets of the cosmos, I suppose.
我想应该是宇宙的秘密
I suggest you think about trigonometry instead.
我觉得你还是思考一下三角函数吧
With your eyes open.
眼睛睁开想
And sit up!
坐直
Laws of Sines and Cosines.
正弦和余弦定理
C-squared equals
c的平方等于
A-squared plus B-squared
a的平方加b的平方
subtract two-AB-cosine-C.
减去2倍ab乘以c的余弦值
Area of a triangle.
三角形的面积
Area equals C-squared sine-A Sine-B
面积等于C的平方乘以角A角B的正弦值
over two-Sine-C.
除以两倍的角C正弦值
What is the...
什么是
...differential equation?
微分方程
Herr Einstein, are you still too busy
爱因斯坦先生 你还是忙于
contemplating the secrets of the cosmos
思考宇宙的秘密
to solve this equation?
没时间解开这个方程吗
Oh, no, sir. I-I've already solved it.
不 先生 我已经解开了
Leave. Now.
出去 现在
On what offense?
为什么
Your mere presence
你在场
spoils the respect of the class for me!
就是对我的不尊重
- That is not an objective reason! - Out!
-那不是客观原因 -出去
The natural log of a constant multiplied by X equals
一个常数的自然对数乘以X等于
the natural log of one plus V-squared.
等于1加V方的和的自然对数
And since V equals
由于V等于
Y over X, that gives us the final function:
Y除以X 由此得出最终函数
X-squared plus Y-squared
X方加Y方
minus C-X-cubed equals zero.
减去CX立方等于0
And speaking truthfully, sir
而且坦诚地说 先生
your mere presence spoils my respect for the future
您在场毁了我对未来
of Prussian mathematics.
普鲁士人数学的尊重
Out.
出去
Boots, pay attention.
新兵 注意了
What do you have to say for yourself?
你有什么要为自己争辩的吗
How do people get pleasure by marching in step?
走队列是怎么让人快乐的呢
It makes me think
这让我觉得
they've been given their big brains only by mistake.
他们的大脑一直都在接收错误的指示
Turn around!
向后转
Look at me.
看着我
I want you to listen to me very carefully, son.
我要你仔细听我说 儿子
Rebellion will get you nowhere in life.
叛逆对你的人生没有任何帮助
You step on enough toes
你惹毛了太多的人
and I promise you, one day you will trip.
我敢肯定 总有一天会倒霉的
I'm not going to apologize for thinking that...
我是不会因为有那样的想法而道歉的
That's exactly what you're going to do.
你必须要去道歉
The headmaster is willing to give you one last chance
校长愿意给你最后一次机会
so I want you to go in there and say you're sorry.
我希望你能去那里说句对不起
Wait. No, Father, please.
等等 不 父亲 求您了
No, I can't.
我不能那么做
- You need an education. - I agree!
-你需要接受教育 -我同意
But blind regurgitation and rote memorization
但是盲目的重复和死记硬背
is not an education.
不是教育
Let me study on my own, and I promise I'll make you proud.
让我自学吧 我保证会让您自豪的
How exactly will you do that, huh?
那你究竟要怎样自学呢
Look around you. What do you see?
看看周围 您看见了什么
I see my impudent son.
我看到了我厚颜无耻的儿子
Yes, but what am I made of? Matter.
是的 可我是由什么构成的 物质
And what keeps my feet on the ground? Gravity.
是什么让我双脚站在地上 重力
Albert, i don't have time for... This is not...
阿尔伯特 我没时间跟你... 这不是
Time, yes, that, too! And light and magnetism.
对 还有时间 还有光和磁
These invisible forces that nobody fully understands.
没有人完全理解这些不可见的力
Where do they come from? What are they made of?
它们是哪来的 它们是由什么构成的
And why do they act as they do?
它们为什么会遵循自己的规律
I want to be the one who solves those mysteries.
我想做解开这些谜团的人
Solving mysteries is not a vocation.
解谜不是职业
But it is. I'm-I'm going to be a physicist.
怎么不是 我会成为物理学家的
No, not without a degree you won't!
不 没有学历的话你当不了
And if you get thrown out again, I will not be here to save you.
你要是再被赶出来 我可不来这给你救场
- I don't need saving, Father. - No, I-I don't... mean that.
-我不需要你救 父亲 -我不是那意思
I mean, I will not... be here at all.
我是说 我不会再来这里了
What are you talking about?
你在说什么
Your mother, sister and I are moving to Italy.
你母亲妹妹还有我要搬到意大利去
Italy? I don't understand.
意大利 我不明白
- Why? - Well...
-为什么 -因为...
big demand for street lamps in Milan.
米兰对路灯的需求很大
But what about your business here?
那您在这的生意怎么办
Our business is bankrupt.
我们的生意破产了
Why didn't you tell me?
您怎么都不告诉我
It is not your concern.
不关你的事
- Let me come with you. Please. - Albert. Albert.
-让我跟您一起走吧 求您了 -阿尔伯特
You don't speak Italian.
你不会说意大利语
How would you expect to go to school?
怎么去上学呢
I'll learn Italian. I'll le...
我会学意大利语的 我会
than anyone that had ever learned it before. So...
比任何人学得都快的 那...
- So you're abandoning me? - No
-您这是抛弃我了吗 -不
I'm looking out for your future.
我是在为你的未来着想
It's time you learn to be independent
是时候该让你学会独立
and take responsibility for yourself.
为自己负责了
You will live with your cousins until your studies are complete.
你会跟你的堂兄一起生活 直到学业完成
Now go back to school.
现在给我回学校去
Pauline!
玻琳
Maja! The train will not wait for your hair to be pinned up.
玛雅 火车是不会等你俩把头发扎起来的
Coming. Coming already.
来了 这不来了吗
Albert, I left you two roast hens
阿尔伯特 我给你留了两只烤鸡
green beans and potatoes.
豆角和土豆
and I ordered extra milk delivery to your aunt's house
我又多订了一份牛奶 送到你姑姑家
- so drink plenty. Come. - I won't forget to eat, Mother.
-多喝点 -我不会忘记吃饭的 母亲
I also left you a few extra marks.
我还给你多留了些马克
Don't tell your father.
别告诉你爸
It's not his money, anyway.
反正也不是他的钱
Make us proud.
让我们为你骄傲
Come on, now, we must hurry.
快走吧 我们得抓紧了
This is awful.
这太难受了
I know. How will I ever sleep without your incessant snoring?
我懂 没有你不停的呼噜声我得怎么睡啊
Promise me you'll write.
答应我你会给我写信的
Of course, Maja.
当然 玛雅
Driver.
走吧
Derivative of logarithmic functions.
对数函数的导函数
The X derivative of natural log X is one over X.
自然对数X的X导数是X分之1
One, two, three, four.
一 二 三 四
Hydrogen.
- One. - Carbon
-一 -碳
Twelve.
十二
- Lithium. - Seven.
-锂 -七
Nitrogen.
- Fourteen. - J'aille.
- 十四 -我去
- Tu ailles. - Come on, come on.
-你去 -来呀来呀
Il aille. Nous allions.
它去 我们曾去
Vous alliez.
你们曾去
Ils aillent.
他们去
Double angle formulas.
二倍角公式
sin2θ=2sinθcosθ Sine 2 theta equals 2 sine theta cosine theta.
Cosine.
余弦
cos2θ=cos... Cosine 2 theta equals cosine...
No!
I beg your pardon, Herr Einstein?
你说什么 爱因斯坦先生
I am feeling sick.
我觉得不舒服
I must go.
我必须走了
60 beats per minute.
每分钟60下
- Normal. - Take my temperature.
-正常 -测测我的体温
I already did. It's normal.
我测过了 正常
- Then take it again. - Albert.
-那再测一次 -阿尔伯特
I'm feeling feverish. I may faint.
我觉得我发烧了 我可能会晕倒
You're fine.
你没事
Then I must have a rash somewhere.
那我一定是哪里出疹子了
Albert, what's going on?
阿尔伯特 怎么了
I'm not asking as your doctor
我不是以医生的角色问你
but as a friend of your family.
而是以你家人朋友的身份问你
I must leave Germany, Dr. Talmud.
我必须要离开德国 塔木德医生
Your father wants you to stay.
你父亲想让你留下来
My father doesn't understand me.
我父亲不理解我
Chin up.
振作起来
It's only two more years.
还剩两年而已
Maybe to you two years feels like the blink of an eye
也许对你来说两年不过弹指一挥间
but to me, it's an eternity.
对我却是永恒的
I don't mean that literally, of course.
当然不是字面意思
Everybody knows that time can't move at two different speeds.
谁都知道时间不能以两个不同的速度运动
What do you want me to do?
你想让我做点什么
Deem me medically unfit to finish school.
从医学上认定我不适宜完成学业
For what reason?
以什么理由
The Prussian malaise?
在普鲁士不舒服吗
Nervous breakdown will do.
精神崩溃就可以
意大利 米兰1895年
Spelt, milk, and do not forget the...
小麦 牛奶 别忘记...
Eggs. Yes, please, I heard you.
鸡蛋 拜托 真啰嗦
I'm late. Eggs, eggs, eggs.
我来不及了 鸡蛋 没完没了的鸡蛋
I can't afford to be late. I always ha...
我可不能迟到 我总是...
Buongiorno, Papa.
早上好 爸爸[意大利语]
That is the extent of my Italian thus far.
我的意大利语水平仅限于此
You were right. It is a difficult language to grasp.
你说得对 意大利语很难掌握
Why are you not in school?
你怎么没在学校
I've decided to go to Zurich Polytechnic instead.
我已经决定要去苏黎世联邦理工学院就读了
Zurich Polytechnic? No, no, no, no, no, no, no.
苏黎世联邦理工学院 不 不行
You cannot expect to enter university
你可别指望不完成学业
- without finishing your studies. - They'll admit me...
-就直接进大学 -如果我通过六月的
if I pass the entrance exam in June.
入学考试他们会录取我的
I-I was hoping I could stay here with...
我想着学习期间能在这
with you and Mother and Maja while I study.
和你 妈妈 玛雅一起住
Hermann, who are you talking to?
赫尔曼 你在和谁说话
- Hello, Mother. - Albert.
-你好 妈妈 -阿尔伯特
- Hermann, let the boy in. - No.
-赫尔曼 让孩子进来 -不
He will go back to Munich immediately
他要立刻回慕尼黑
and finish his studies.
完成他的学业
- And that is an order. - I'm sorry, father
-这是命令 -对不起 父亲
but I'm not going back to Germany.
可是我不会回德国了
Ever again.
再也不会
All right, let us all open our eyes...
好的 让我们全部张开双眼
and return to Germany.
回到德国
Here is our traveling light beam.
这就是我们传播中的光束
Now, I will ask you again.
现在 我要再问你们一遍
How can something... light...
光这种东西
travel through nothing... space?
是如何穿过虚无空间的
It cannot, Herr Professor.
它并不能穿过 教授先生
Cannot. Good.
不能 不错
Therefore, if light is only a wave, then...
那么 如果光线只是一种波
Space is not empty?
空间就不是虚无的吗
Exactly.
没错
So just as sound waves travel through air
所以就像声波通过空气传播
light waves must travel through some sort of medium in space.
光波也需要通过空间中的某种介质传播
Scientists called it the ether
科学家称之为"以太"
an invisible but all-encompassing substance
是一种不可见但是包罗万象
pervading the universe.
充斥整个宇宙的物质
I believed in it when I was your age.
我像你们这么大时对此深信不疑
Trust me.
相信我
I knew everything.
我那时"无所不知"
But as it turns out
但事实证明
I was wrong.
我错了
Walther Rathenau is dead.
瓦尔特·拉特瑙去世了
Assassinated in the street.
在街上被暗杀
I just saw him yesterday.
我昨天还见过他
He was coming to dinner on Sunday.
他周日要来吃晚饭的
I'll get it.
我来接
That's quite all right, Fraulein.
正好 小姐
If you don't mind
如果你不介意
I'd like some time alone with my husband.
我想和我丈夫单独待会
Why did you send her away?
为什么要打发她走
I don't want to be disturbed by the press.
我不想被媒体打扰
I need Betty to answer the phone.
我需要贝蒂帮我接电话
I know why you need Betty.
我知道你需要贝蒂的原因
And that is not the press. It's Mileva.
那也不是媒体的电话 是米列娃
She's been calling all morning.
她打了一早上
Why should I talk to her?
我为什么要和她说话
She brings us nothing but misery and pain.
她给我们带来的只有无尽的苦恼和痛苦
We have enough of that as it is.
我们已经承受得够多了
Where are you going?
你要去哪
My study.
我的书房
Please don't.
请不要
Don't what?
不要什么
Do what you always do.
做你一贯做的事
Hide in your work.
埋首于你的工作中
Your friend just died.
你的朋友刚刚去世了
You need to grieve.
你应该哀悼
Machine gun...
机关枪
and grenade.
和手榴弹
What sort of animals would do this?
什么禽兽会如此残忍
You know exactly what sort of animals.
你清楚地知道是什么禽兽
Death to the Elders of Zion!
为了《犹太人贤士议定书》而战
Hold.
停止
We die for our ideals!
为我们的理想献身
The revolution is coming
革命即将到来
and Germany will rise again.
德国会再次崛起
Good day, Frau Einstein.
你好 爱因斯坦夫人
Captain Muller. Berlin Police.
我是穆勒队长 柏林警察
Is your husband at home?
你丈夫在家吗
Good day, Herr Professor.
你好 教授先生
It's an honor to meet you
很荣幸见到你
though I regret the circumstances.
尽管是在这种情况下
I understand you and Minister Rathenau were close.
我理解你和拉特瑙部长关系很好
We were. Thank you.
是的 谢谢你
You may have heard that we located and killed
你可能听说了 我们找到并处死了
Minister Rathenau's assassins.
拉特瑙部长的暗杀者
Who were they?
是什么人
The members of a fringe group
是一个叫做"组织执政官"
called the Organization Consul.
的激进组织的成员
What is your definition of "Fringe," Captain?
你是怎么定义激进的呢 队长
A hundred members?
一百个成员
Ten members? A thousand?
十个 还是一千
Elsa.
爱尔莎
You're not here to offer your condolences
你不是来这表达哀悼之情的
are you, Captain?
是吗 队长
No, sir, I'm not.
是的 先生 我不是
In the possession of the assassins
在暗杀者的遗物中
we found a list of targets.
我们发现了一份目标名单
Minister Rathenau's name was on that list
拉特瑙部长的名字在名单上
and so was yours, Herr Professor.
你的名字也在列 教授先生
These men are part of a larger movement.
他们是一个更大行动中的一部分
I'm afraid it may not be safe for you to remain in Berlin.
恐怕你继续留在柏林就不安全了
I'll call the movers in the morning.
我早上会给搬家工人打电话
They can have the apartment packed by Friday.
他们能在周五前打包好公寓的东西
We can go to the Baltic Sea for the summer.
我们这个夏天可以去波罗的海
That would give us a chance to consider
那会给我们机会去考虑
a more permanent option.
更长远的选择
Albert, are you even listening to me?
阿尔伯特 你到底听我说了没
We're not going anywhere, Elsa.
我们哪也不去 爱尔莎
Did you hear what the man said? You're on a list.
你听到那个人说的话了 你在名单上
The killers are dead.
那些杀手已经死了
- And they have accomplices. - No
-可他们还有同伙 -不
I will not kowtow to bullies.
我不会向恶势力屈服
And I will not sit by and wait for fascists to kill my husband.
我不会坐以待毙 任由法西斯杀害我的丈夫
I want to leave, Albert. Please.
我想要离开 阿尔伯特 拜托
You don't even like Germany.
你又不喜欢德国
This is not about Germany.
这和德国无关
Elsa, this is about my work
爱尔莎 重要的是我的工作
my colleagues at the Academy
我在学院的同事们
our friends, my sailboat
我们的朋友 我的帆船
this apartment. Our life.
这间公寓 我们的生活
It's all here. It's home.
全部都在这里 这里是家
That's what Walther Rathenau thought, too.
瓦尔特·拉特瑙也是这么想的
Walther was killed because he was a politician.
瓦尔特是因为他的政治家身份被杀
I'm only a scientist.
我只是个科学家
And you're both Jews.
你们都是犹太人
Where on God's earth would you go?
你又能去哪里呢
I have teaching offers abroad.
我收到国外的教书邀请
Oxford. Princeton.
牛津 普林斯顿
Ha! I've known you for over a decade, Albert.
玩笑 我认识你十多年了 阿尔伯特
You despise British formality
你憎恶英国的中规中矩
you despise American exceptionalism.
还憎恶美国的优越主义
I also despise
我也憎恶
German nationalism.
德国的国家主义
So do most Germans.
大多数德国人也是
The country has declared a national holiday
这个国家为了瓦尔特的葬礼
for Walther's funeral tomorrow, for God's sake.
都宣布明天全国休假了
Elsa is overreacting.
爱尔莎反应太过激了
Do you know what I find extraordinary
你知道我发现你身上哪里
about you, Fritz Haber?
与众不同吗 弗里茨·哈伯
It might be my brilliant mind
可能是我聪明的大脑
or my scintillating wit, but knowing you
或四处闪耀的智慧 但以我对你的了解
you're not about to flatter me.
你是不会奉承我的
That you see yourself as one of them, and not as one of us.
你把自己视为他们的同类 而不是我们中的一员
One of us?
我们中的一员
You talk like a Zionist.
你说话像个犹太复国主义者
No, I'm a realist.
不 我是个现实主义者
And I'm a German patriot
而我是个德国爱国主义者
a proud war veteran, and a devout Christian.
自豪的战争退伍军人 以及虔诚的基督徒
Really, Fritz?
真的吗 弗里茨
You're proud of your military service?
你对于你的当兵经历感到自豪吗
You may have changed your religion, but don't think
你可能改变了自己的宗教信仰
for a second you can change your heritage.
但不可能改变你的传统
Is that how you really see me?
你真的这么看我吗
As some sort of fraud?
把我看成是某种骗子
No, no. It's not how I see you that matters.
不 我怎么看你不重要
It's how men like this Adolf Hitler character see you.
重要的是像阿道夫·希特勒这样的人怎么看你
Adolf Hitler is a loud-mouthed art school reject
阿道夫·希特勒是个被艺术学院拒收的夸夸其谈的人
with a handful of supporters
在这个拥有六千万人口的国家里
in country of 60 million.
他拥有的支持者只有一小撮
He'll be gone in a year.
他一年之后就会消失
Tell that to the esteemed Professor Lenard.
把这话对尊敬的勒纳教授说
Read it to me.
念给我听
"Albert Einstein
"阿尔伯特 爱因斯坦
"should hereby be barred
不得参与
"from attending the annual conference for German science
德国科学年会
"on grounds that his theory of relativity
因为其相对论
offends against the common sense of scientists."
与科学家的常识相悖"
I'm quite certain it took him all the restraint
我敢肯定他肯定极力地克制自己
he could muster not to refer to relativity
才没有把相对论叫做
as a Jewish theory.
犹太理论
Forget Lenard.
别管勒纳
- He's just jealous of your success. - Perhaps.
-他只是妒忌你的成功 -可能吧
But look how many others have signed it.
但你看多少其他人签了字
People are listening to him, Fritz.
人们听他的话 弗里茨
He's dangerous.
他很危险
Please, Professor Lenard, I beg of you.
拜托 勒纳教授 我求您了
It's only one day of classes.
只是一天的课程而已
I couldn't agree more.
我绝对同意
That's why I'm choosing to teach.
这就是为什么我选择教书
But a national day of mourning has been declared.
但已经宣布了全国哀悼日
The University of Heidelberg must respect it.
海德堡大学必须遵守
A national day of mourning for a Bolshevik Jew
一个布尔什维克犹太人让我们国家破产
who bankrupted our nation and left behind a generation
还留下了一代失业的青年
of jobless young men? No, thank you.
为他进行全国的哀悼 不了 谢谢
The death of Walther Rathenau should be cause for celebration
瓦尔特·拉特瑙的死应该值得庆祝
not mourning.
而非哀悼
- Professor. - No.
-教授 -不
This funeral is a garish spectacle
这场葬礼是像阿尔伯特 爱因斯坦这样的
led by left-wing radicals like Albert Einstein
左翼激进分子为了将德国爱国主义者
to paint German patriots as criminals.
抹黑为罪犯而进行的一场华丽演出
Philipp, I'm begging you.
菲利普 我求你了
As your friend.
站在朋友的立场上
Don't let old skirmishes cloud your vision.
不要让以前的过节蒙蔽了双眼
If that is what you think this is, sir
如果你这样认为的话 先生
then we are not friends.
我们就不是朋友了
Stand!
起立
Gentlemen
先生们
there is a new war festering.
一场新的战争正在升温
A war against reason
一场关乎理性
against clarity
关乎黑白分明
against this very institution.
关乎整个制度的战争
Germany and German physics are under threat.
德国及其物理学都受到了威胁
Quite the turnout for a Jew
一个犹太人还有这么大场面
wouldn't you say?
你说是吧
Our forefathers based their science
我们的父辈将科学
on experimentation and fact.
基于实验和事实上
Not artificial formulae
而非武断的定义
based on arbitrary definition
或为了博人眼球
or publicity-seeking fabrications
而捏造空间和时间的
of space and time.
虚假公式
Einstein.
爱因斯坦
- Einstein. - Einstein?
-爱因斯坦 -爱因斯坦
Einstein.
爱因斯坦
This foreign influence has been
这种来自国外的影响
gaining momentum for far too long.
已经越来越深远
And it is your job
作为这一伟大国家的未来
as the future of this great nation
你们要担起责任
to protect our Aryan respect
来保护我们作为雅利安人
for empirical observation.
对经验观测的尊重
Abstruse theories devoid of reality
我们的专业领域容不得
have no place in our field.
脱离现实的空洞理论
If we do not fight against them, I promise you
如果我们不打击他们 我向你们保证
the foreigner will spread through these hallowed halls
外国势力会像病毒一样充斥这些神圣的大堂
like a virus. And before we have time to react
等不到我们作出回应
German physics will be no more.
德国物理学将不复存在
It is time to stand up, gentlemen.
是时候站出来了 先生们
Stand up for Germany!
为德国站出来
Excuse me. Dr. Einstein?
不好意思 爱因斯坦博士
We would just like to say
我们想说
that we are deeply sorry for the loss of your friend.
对于您朋友的逝去我们深深地感到遗憾
And we want you to know that we are proud
也想让您知道 我们很荣幸
to call men such as Minister Rathenau and yourself
称呼像拉特瑙部长和您这样的人为
our compatriots.
我们的同胞
Nice to meet you, Professor Einstein.
很高兴认识您 爱因斯坦教授
It's an honor, sir.
是我的荣幸 先生
Rathenau's killers are German heroes!
杀死拉特瑙的人是德国英雄
Rathenau's killers are German heroes!
杀死拉特瑙的人是德国英雄
Rathenau's killers are German heroes!
杀死拉特瑙的人是德国英雄
We should leave. Now.
我们得走了 马上
No.
We're not going home until the funeral is over.
葬礼结束之前 我们不能回家
And we're not leaving Germany.
我们也不会离开德国的
Albert.
阿尔伯特
If we leave...
要是我们离开了
they win.
他们就赢了
Killers are German heroes!
杀手们是德国英雄
入学考试大厅苏黎世联邦理工学院 1895
文学
法语
动物学和植物学
政治
物理
Herr Einstein?
爱因斯坦先生
- I am Professor... - Weber.
-我是教授... -韦伯
Heinrich Weber. Chair of the physics department, I know.
海因里希·韦伯 我知道您是物理系主任
I... I read your paper on heat conduction.
我拜读了您关于热传导的论文
It seems you have read quite a few papers, young man.
看来你已经看了不少论文 年轻人
You passed the mathematics and science sections with flying colors.
你以优异的成绩通过了数学和科学部分的考试
Where did you learn all of this?
你从哪里学到的那些知识
I am self-taught, Herr Professor.
是我自学的 教授先生
That makes sense.
这就说得通了
Why is that?
为什么
Because you failed everything else.
因为其他科目你全部不及格
Literature, zoology, botany, French, politics, to be specific.
具体包括文学 动物学 植物学 法语和政治
That's... that's quite a few subjects.
这可是不少的科目
Indeed.
确实
Oh, my father...
我父亲...
Can you make an exception, sir? I-I only want to study physics.
您能破例一次吗 先生 我只想学物理而已
No, that is not how a university works.
不行 大学不能这样偏科
But literature is a pastime.
但文学只是消遣罢了
I-I've never been to a zoo in my life.
而我从未去过动物园
Botany I place under the same sub-section as literature... bourgeois.
植物学不过是和文学一样 如此世俗
And French, well...
还有法语...
Pourquoi, sir?
为什么[法语] 先生
You forgot about politics.
还有政治呢
Politics are frivolous.
政治多么无足轻重啊
They're only a matter of present concern.
政治只是关注于眼前
But a mathematical equation, Professor, well... that stands forever.
而数学公式能常存于世 教授
I tell you what
这样吧
I am going to bend the rules
我为你通融一下
and invite you to audit my classes
你可以来我的课堂上旁听
and to work in my laboratory.
在我的实验室进行研究
- Will I be an official student? - No.
-那我是正式的学生吗 -不是
I need to earn a degree, sir.
我得取得学位 先生
Because without one
要是没有学位
I'll never be taken seriously as a physicist.
没人会重视我物理学家的身份的
And I'll never get an office like this, will I?
并且我永远得不到一间这样好的办公室了
There is a good school 25 miles west of here.
往西走四十公里处有所好学校
I know a teacher who will take you in.
我认识一位能接收你的老师
You study for a year
你在那里学习一年
well, you go to a zoo, you learn some French
去几次动物园 学一点法语
and then you'll come back here
之后再回到这里
and you'll retake the exam.
再参加一次入学考试
I won't disappoint you, sir.
我不会让您失望的 教授
1895
瑞士 阿劳
- Get the door! - No, you get the door!
-去开门 -不 你去开门
- I'm doing homework! - Liar, you're in the bathroom!
-我在做作业 -骗子 你明明在洗手间
- I have cramps! - She always says that.
-我拉肚子了 -她总是这么说
Everyone relax. I'll get it.
大家别吵了 我去开门
Hello. May I help you?
你好 有什么需要帮忙的吗
Yes. I... I am...
是的 我是...
Well, spit it out, then.
快点说呀
Buzz off, you gnat.
旁边去 你这个臭虫
Mother! Marie called me a gnat!
妈妈 玛莉叫我"臭虫"
I must apologize.
真是抱歉
- Oh, my God. Marie has a boyfriend. - What?
-天啊 玛莉有男朋友了 -什么
- In her dreams. - Paul!
-她做梦吧 -保罗
I'm so sorry.
实在抱歉
Who are you? Marie's boyfriend.
你是谁 "玛莉的男朋友"
Mathias, shut it.
马蒂亚斯 闭嘴
Marie has a boyfriend? Since when?
玛莉有男朋友了 什么时候有的
Do you have brothers and sisters?
你有兄弟姐妹吗
Anna, you said you couldn't do dishes because you had cramps.
安娜 你不是说你因为拉肚子不能洗碗吗
I do, but look a real boy.
是的 但你来看 一个男孩
- Who are you? - I already asked him.
-你是谁 -我已经问过了
- Yes. Right. I-I am... - Albert Einstein.
-是的 我是... -阿尔伯特 爱因斯坦
Your reputation precedes you.
你可是大名鼎鼎啊
Disobedient son, perennial truant
不听话 长期旷课
unrepentant flouter of authority.
不思悔改地嘲弄权威
Please, please, sir, I can explain.
给我个机会 先生 我可以解释
I'm not chastising you.
我不是在责骂你
I'm congratulating you.
我是在恭喜你
We Wintelers respect a true rebel.
我们温特勒尊重真正的反抗者
You are welcome here for as long as you like.
我们欢迎你的到来 你想待多久都可以
Thank you, sir.
谢谢你 先生
Julius, Show him in.
朱利叶斯 带他进来
Quick.
快来
Thank you.
谢谢你
Darling, Albert is here.
亲爱的 阿尔伯特来了
And I quote...
我记得原话是
Understand the things of nature as philosophers
以哲学家的角度理解自然世界
and not to stare at them in astonishment like fools
而不是像傻瓜一样对其惊讶凝视
are soon considered heretical and impious.
很快便被认为是异端邪说且不虔诚
Oh, please, Baruch Spinoza is a buffoon
拜托 巴鲁赫·斯宾诺莎就是个小丑
not a philosopher.
根本算不上哲学家
At least Descartes was a military man.
笛卡尔至少还是个军人
Oh, here we go again.
又来了
Piss off, Anna.
去你的 安娜
- Julius, language. - Fine.
-朱利叶斯 别说脏话 -好吧
Albert, eat.
阿尔伯特 吃饭呀
But did you know that Spinoza never taught a day in his life?
那你知道斯宾诺莎一辈子都不曾教书吗
He was a lowly optical lens grinder.
他不过是个只会磨光学透镜的人
Why should someone's vocation define his intellect?
怎么能用他人的职业来定义他的智力呢
- Well said, darling. - Thank you.
-说得好 亲爱的 -谢谢你
Fine, fine, but his treatise on God is hearsay.
好吧 但他关于上帝的论著不过是谣言
"Natura Naturans"? Please.
"自然创造万物" 算了吧
And what does it even mean?
那到底是什么意思
It means God and Nature are one and the same.
意思是上帝和自然是一回事
I am a certified teacher now, if you need a Latin tutor.
你要是需要辅导拉丁语 正好我是认证教师
Very funny.
"真有意思"
Albert may take you up on that.
阿尔伯特可以教你
I will?
我可以吗
Professor Weber tells me you need a little help
韦伯教授和我说 你在人文学科方面
in the humanities.
需要别人指点一下
Is that why you are so silent tonight?
所以你今晚才这么安静的吗
My opinions are usually unwelcome.
通常我的观点都不太受欢迎
Not here, they aren't. Speak.
我们不会奚落你的观点 说吧
Yes, speak, Albert. We want to hear it.
是啊 说吧 阿尔伯特 我们想听听呢
Speak. Albert, speak.
说吧 阿尔伯特
Yes. We really want to hear it.
是啊 我们真的很想听听呢
From a scientific perspective
从科学的角度来讲
what Marie said is very exciting...
玛莉说的很让人兴奋
- and-and, well, funny enough, - "Very exciting."
-也很有趣 -"让人兴奋"
it's an idea I've been considering for a while now.
这也是我思考了好一阵子的问题
"Natura Naturans."
"自然创造万物"
神的力量既是万物存在的原因和支配自然的规律
Everything is connected.
万物之间均有联系
Nature isn't a product of God
自然并非由上帝造就
nature is God.
自然本身就是上帝
And if we suppose that's true, well, then, we must conclude
如果我们假定这是正确的
the universe isn't some mystical netherworld
那么就可以得出宇宙并非什么
outside our grasp of understanding.
超乎我们认知的神秘阴间的结论了
From the smallest molecule to the largest galaxy...
上至最大的星系 下至最小的分子
every question must have a definable answer.
每一个问题都有可定义的答案
And, well
而且
I intend to find those answers.
我就想要找到这些答案
Well, that is the most hedonistic thing
这是我今晚听到的
I have heard all night.
最让人快乐的事情了
Show us a bit of respect, Julius.
尊重一下我们 朱利叶斯
- Julius, don't be rude. - There are no more potatoes.
-朱利叶斯 别这么无礼 -没有土豆了
Thank you so much.
谢谢
Newton's second law of motion.
牛顿第二定律
You all know it
你们都知道
but as we delve deeper into Newtonian mechanics
但随着我们更加深入地了解牛顿力学
I need you to more than "know" it.
我要你们不止达到"知道"这个层次
I need you to be able to see it.
我要你们能看见它
So when I ask, what is acceleration?
所以当我问 什么是加速度时
Don't immediately think "numbers."
不要马上想到"数字"
Instead, close your eyes...
相反 你要闭上眼睛
Good.
很好
And imagine a ball
想象着有一个球
being shot across the sky.
被射向天空
Now imagine an identical ball in outer space
现在又想象在外太空有一个同样的球
racing with the ball on Earth, with the same force applied.
和地球上的球比赛 两者受同样的力
Which ball would win a race?
哪个球会赢
You don't need to raise your hand to speak here, Albert.
我们这儿回答问题不需要举手示意 阿尔伯特
Oh. Really? Well...
真的吗
Uh, the ball in outer space would win
是外太空的那个球赢
'cause it's travelling in a vacuum.
因为它在真空中运动
But I have another question.
但我有另一个问题
Go on.
说吧
Now I'm imagining
我现在在想象
that the ball is traveling in deep space...
那个球是在外太空运动
with...
而且
with no stars or planets around it.
周围没有任何行星或星球
Acceleration is the derivative of velocity
加速度是
with respect to time.
速度对时间的导数
How do we know that the ball is moving at all
当没有参照物的时候
if there's nothing to compare its motions to?
我们怎么知道球在运动
In other words...
换句话说
what is time?
时间是什么
And for that matter...
就此而言
what is space?
空间又是什么
Newton's Principia, Volume One:
牛顿定律 第一卷
"Absolute, true, and mathematical time, of itself
"绝对 真正而数学的时间 就其本身
and from its own nature, flows..."
及本身具有的性质而言 稳定地..."
"Equitably without relation to anything external."
"稳定地流动 与任何外物无关"
Time and space are absolute, I know.
时间与空间是绝对的 我知道
Yes, well, then, let's move on.
是啊 那么我们继续吧
But when pressed on the subject of absoluteness
但当继续探讨绝对性的概念时
Newton said, "The Deity endures forever
牛顿说 "神是永生的
and by existing always and everywhere
神无时无刻无处不在
he constitutes duration and space."
他构成了时间与空间"
Which, in short, is saying...
简而言之 他的意思是...
"I have no idea, but God must, so there."
"我也不清楚 但上帝一定是存在的"
Albert.
阿尔伯特
I-I know. I sh... I should go.
我知道 我得出去
Sit down.
坐下
Well, it looks like we are going
看来接下来这一年里
to have an interesting year.
我们会过得十分有趣了
So let us move on to the next chapter.
我们讲下一章吧
When we are looking at Newton and some of his other ideas...
当我们在探讨牛顿和他的一些其他想法时
- Here you are, sir. - Thank you.
-给你 先生 -谢谢
"The surest way to corrupt a youth
"腐化年轻人的最佳途径
is to hold in higher esteem those who think alike
就是重视那些毫无创新想法的人
than those who think differently."
而忽视了不落窠臼的人"
Nietzsche?
尼采[哲学家]吗
Excellent.
是的
"If you step on enough toes, one day you'll trip."
"欺人者 人恒欺之 被人者 人恒被之"
Confucius?
孔子的理论吗
Close. My father.
接近了 是我爸说的
Albert.
阿尔伯特
A letter for you. Looks official.
有你的信 看起来挺官方的
I don't believe it.
我不信
What is it?
这是什么
皇家符腾堡政府
My application to renounce my German citizenship.
放弃德国国籍的申请书
It's been approved.
申请通过了
I'm officially stateless.
我正式成为无国籍人士了
So now you have no passport?
所以你现在没有护照吗
That seems reckless.
有点鲁莽啊
Why would you do that?
为什么你要这么做
Because nationalism is an infantile disease.
因为国家主义就像小儿病
The measles of mankind.
像人类的麻疹般
Where on Earth did you get such an idea?
你从哪来的这个想法
Papa, you didn't.
爸爸 不是你吧
I'm proud of you, Albert.
我以你为傲 阿尔伯特
Now you are a citizen of the world.
现在你是世界公民了
- Let us celebrate. - Sorry, that will have to wait.
-我们来庆祝一下吧 -抱歉 那要等会了
Albert and I have work to do.
我和阿尔伯特有事要忙
"And though she be but little, she is fierce."
"虽然她这么小巧玲珑 但厉害得很啊"
William Shakespeare.
威廉·莎士比亚
Good luck.
祝你好运
Bien.
好的
Futur simple
简单将来时
j'aurai
我有
Tu auras
你有
Il ou elle aura
他 她有
Nous aurons
我们有
Are you listening to me?
你有在听我说话吗
Of course.
当然有啊
You were sleeping.
你在睡觉
I wasn't. I promise.
没有 我保证
I was having the most wonderful thought.
我在思考一个奇妙至极的问题
Oh, yes? And what was that?
是吗 是什么
It's been bothering me for over a year now.
这问题困扰了我一年多了
How does something... travel through nothing?
为什么物体能在真空中运动
What are you talking about, Albert?
你在说什么 阿尔伯特
I... I-I imagined I was riding
我 我想像我正驰骋在
alongside a light beam.
一道光束旁
Guess what happened?
你猜会发生什么
I have no idea.
不知道
Let me show you.
我展示给你看
Come.
Come on!
快来
Come!
来吧
Imagine I'm a light beam
想像我是一道光束
traveling to Earth. Now catch me!
射向地球 追上我
How fast must we go?
我们要骑多快
About 300,000 kilometers a second.
大约每秒三十万千米
Albert! You are mad!
阿尔伯特 你疯了
No, I'm a wave.
不 我是一道波
Traveling through the ether.
穿过太空
Come on!
快来
Come on!
快来
Catch me!
追上我
As you catch up to me
你追上我的时候
the strangest thing happens:
最奇怪的事发生了
I appear to slow down. Am I right?
我似乎慢下来了 对吧
But here is the best part...
但最棒的是
When you are traveling the speed
你以光速行驶在波的旁边
of light alongside the wave... me...
也就是我的旁边时
I appear...
我似乎
frozen in time.
在时间中静止了
Is that it?
是吗
Well, so far, yes.
目前看来是这样的
德国柏林 1932年
Have you read this?
你读过这个了吗
Yes.
Hitler didn't win.
希特勒没有赢
He won 230 seats.
他赢了230席
That's almost a majority.
几乎占多数了
Elsa, please.
爱尔莎 拜托
Not now.
现在别说这个
Albert, you've been saying "Not now"
阿尔伯特 十年来你一直都在说
for ten years.
"现在别说这个"
You know why?
你知道为什么吗
Because my old friend Sir Isaac Newton
因为我的老朋友艾萨克·牛顿爵士
was really right about some things.
还真说对了几件事
An object at rest really does tend to stay at rest.
静止的物体确实倾向于静止
Albert, this is not a joke.
阿尔伯特 这不是开玩笑
Where are you going?
你要去哪里
- I need tobacco. - No.
-我要买烟 -别去
I-It's not safe. I'll send someone.
那不安全 我让别人去买
I'm an able man.
我四肢健全
And I am scared.
可我很害怕
When Walther was murdered
瓦尔特被杀的时候
you chose to stay, and I accepted.
你选择留下 我没意见
It was brave and defiant.
那是很勇敢且具有挑战性的举动
But this is different.
但现在不同了
Enough already, Albert.
已经够了 阿尔伯特
Everything is fine.
一切都没事的
Hitler did not win.
希特勒没有赢
希特勒
日耳曼尼亚州
One loaf per family.
每家一条面包
Move along. One loaf per family.
向前走 每家一条面包
Keep moving.
继续走
Afternoon, Ernst.
下午好 恩斯特
I took your advice and listened to Erik Satie.
我听了你的意见 听了埃里克·萨蒂的乐曲
Little too French for me, but you were right.
对我而言有点太法国风了 但你说得对
His ability to evoke complex emotions
他能够以简单的旋律激起
with simplicity is remarkable.
人们的复杂情绪 太不可思议了
Though I must admit I am surprised
不过我得承认 我很惊讶
that a Wagnerian such as yourself
像你这样的瓦格纳乐迷
should enjoy experimental minimalism.
居然会喜欢听极简主义的实验音乐
Is everything all right, Ernst?
你没事吧 恩斯特
Yes, Professor. Of course.
是的 教授 当然没事
Well, that will be all for today.
今天就买这些吧
Elsa has me cutting back.
爱尔莎削减了我的花销
《我的奋斗》
It is only because my customers requested them.
因为顾客有需求 我才进了这本书
Everyone has a choice, Ernst.
每个人都有权选择 恩斯特
Oh, no.
糟了
- Damn it. - Oh, no, no, no, no.
-该死 -不不不
Dear God, Jakob, not now.
老天 雅各布 别又搞砸了
Patience.
耐心点
No, no, no. I have to deliver this by Monday
不不不 我周一前必须交货
or I don't get paid.
不然就拿不到钱了
I'll fix it.
我会修好
Your induced voltage is too high.
你感应电压加得太高了
Thank you, nephew.
谢谢你提醒 侄子
That is obvious.
那很明显啊
Energy equals magnetic field times length of conductor.
能量等于磁场乘以导体长度
Times velocity of conductor.
乘以导体速度
I don't need a physics lesson.
我不需要听物理课
I need to get the damn rotor spinning at the correct speed.
我需要让这该死的轮子以正确速度旋转
So why not shorten the length of the conductor
那为什么不缩短导体长度
instead of trying to change the speed of the rotor?
反而试图改变轮子的速度呢
How the hell do we do that?
我们怎么可能做到
Wire cutters.
拿剪钳给我
Try it now.
现在试试看
I think the patient will survive.
我想"病人"会活下来的
You should have seen him, Pauline!
你应该看看他当时的样子 玻琳
He's here for one week...
他才来了一周
one week... and he fixes all our problems.
一周而已 就解决了我们所有的问题
We should have school vacations more often.
学校应该更经常放假才是
Albert. Albert.
阿尔伯特 阿尔伯特
I'm very proud of you.
我真以你为傲
Thank you, Father.
谢谢你 父亲
How is Marie, darling?
玛莉好吗 亲爱的
Wonderful.
很好
She sends her regards.
她让我替她向你们问好
She's teaching me French.
她最近在教我法语
I bet she's teaching you more than that.
她教你的肯定不止法语
Maja, please.
玛雅 注意点
I've been corresponding with her mother.
我一直有跟她母亲通信
Everyone is quite excited.
大家都很高兴
- Excited? About what? - The courtship, of course.
-高兴什么 -当然是你们的恋爱
The potential of it.
有没有可能结成正果
Albert, your Uncle Jakob
阿尔伯特 你叔叔雅各布
was mentioning how we could use another gifted engineer
提到我们公司还需要一位有天赋的
- in our company. - I've been saying that for years.
-工程师 -这件事我已经说了好几年了
I'm sure Marie would love Milan.
玛莉肯定会爱上米兰的
The food, the fashion.
美味的食物 引领世界的时尚
We could even help them rent a nice apartment
我们还可以帮他们租一套漂亮公寓
couldn't we, Hermann?
对吧 赫尔曼
Mother, I appreciate your interest, and I adore Marie
母亲 谢谢您的好意 我也很喜欢玛莉
but I'm not ready for marriage
但我还没准备好结婚
and I don't plan on moving to Milan.
我也没打算搬来米兰
Not immediately, of course. I mean, obviously you would have
当然不是现在 你肯定得
to finish your engineering studies first.
先拿到你的工程师学位
I'm sorry, Father
抱歉 父亲
but I-I have no intention of becoming an engineer.
但我不打算成为工程师
Such an aptitude for it.
可你这么有天赋
Maybe, but I can't bear the thought
也许吧 可我不能接受
of having to spend my creative energy
将自己的创造力花在
making practical, everyday life
制造产业上 每天的生活
more refined for-for the sole purpose of capital gain.
都只有唯一的目标 为了增加收支
- It's... - Dear God. What in God's name
-这... -我的天啊
have they been teaching you in Switzerland?
他们在瑞士到底教了你什么
You sound like a communist.
你说的话像个共产主义者
I'm not a communist, I'm an Internationalist.
我不是共产主义者 我是国际主义者
Inter... What the hell is that supposed to mean?
国际... 这到底算是什么意思
I wouldn't expect you
我不期望你
- to understand. - Really? Oh, why?
-能够理解 -是吗 为什么
Because I'm not as brilliant as you, I suppose?
因为我不如你聪明吗
Hermann, please don't.
赫尔曼 别这样
- May I be excused? - No.
-我能先离席吗 -不行
Tell me, my son, the genius.
说啊 我的天才儿子
Yeah, how do you propose to make a living without a job?
你没有工作要怎么生活
I've told you before.
我以前说过了
I'm going to be a professor.
我要做教授
I will think
我要为了思考
for thinking's sake.
而思考
That is the most indulgent thing
这是我听过的
I've ever heard.
最任性的想法
I'm sure from your bourgeois perspective
从你中产阶级的角度来看
it would seem indulgent.
这当然很任性
What? My bourgeois per...
什么 我中产阶级的角...
But I'm going to Zurich Polytechnic.
我要去苏黎世联邦理工学院
Y-You failed your entrance exam.
你入学考试都没通过
I won't fail again.
我不会再失败了
- Stop it, both of you. - Who do you think's
-你们两个都别吵了 -你觉得谁会
gonna pay for this Zurich Polytechnic, huh?
帮你付苏黎世联邦理工学院的学费啊
The same people who pay for you
就是那些付钱让你
to keep plundering your businesses into the ground.
不断扩张生意的人
Mother's family.
母亲的家里人
That's who.
就是他们
Like hell they will.
说得像真的一样
They've already agreed.
他们已经同意了
Did you arrange this?
是你安排的吗
No, no.
不 不是
It was entirely my doing.
完全是我个人的行为
When you left me behind in Germany
你把我一个人丢在德国
you told me to be independent
告诉我要独立
to take responsibility for myself.
要对自己负责的时候
At first, I thought you were being cruel
起初 我觉得你很残忍
but now I see you did me a great service.
可现在 我明白你做了件大好事
You were right.
你说得对
My future is mine and mine alone
我的未来是我的 只属于我
so I must take charge of it.
所以我必须全权负责
Thank you for the lovely holiday, Mother.
谢谢你们让我度过了美好的假期 母亲
Maja.
玛雅
Oh, don't leave like this, Albert.
别就这么走了 阿尔伯特
法语
Physics, pass.
物理学 通过
Mathematics, pass.
数学 通过
Zoology, botany, literature...
动物学 植物学 文学...
pass.
都通过
Oh, which brings us to French.
现在我们来看看法语
Specifically, your essay.
具体地说是你的论文
And, uh, oh, I translate:
我翻译一下
"I will enroll in Zurich Polytechnic.
我将进入苏黎世联邦理工学院
"I will stay there four years and study physics
我将在那里待四年 学习物理
"and mathematics.
和数学
"I suppose I will become a teacher in these fields
我想我会成为这些领域的老师
focusing on the theoretical parts."
专注于理论部分
Your vocabulary is elementary, the syntax simplistic
你的词汇很基础 语法也很简单
you did not use the future simple.
你没有使用一般将来时
But I think it is an excellent plan.
不过 我觉得你的计划非常好
Welcome to Zurich Polytechnic.
欢迎加入苏黎世联邦理工学院
Thank you, sir, thank you.
谢谢你 先生 谢谢
Good-bye, Albert.
再见 阿尔伯特
I'm so proud of you.
我真为你骄傲
- Safe travels. - Albert, come here, son.
-旅途平安 -阿尔伯特 过来 孩子
Don't let those academic fools in Zurich change you, Albert.
别让那些苏黎世的学院派傻瓜改变你 阿尔伯特
Their knowledge is their weakness, while your imagination
他们的知识正是他们的弱点 而你的想象力
is your strength.
才是你的优势
Thank you.
谢谢
Thank you for everything.
感谢你为我做的一切
Well...
好吧
...have a safe journey.
祝你旅途平安
- Marie, wait! - Just go, Albert.
-玛莉 等等 -走吧 阿尔伯特
Please!
求你
Marie, I'm going to write to you.
玛莉 我会给你写信
And Zurich's not that far.
苏黎世也不是很远
- I'll visit. - It's all right.
-我会来看你 -没事的
I am happy for you.
我为你高兴
You're going to do great things.
你会成就一番大业的
I'll... I'll find a formula to freeze time
我会找出冻结时间的公式
you won't even know I'm gone.
你就不会知道我走了
What a lovely thought.
这想法真美好
...true example
这个国家年轻人
of this nation's youth...
真正的榜样
selfless, strong, courageous...
无私 坚强 勇敢
then sign up!
来报名吧
We must rise against the Weimar Republic!
我们一定要站起来反抗魏玛共和国
Rise against the conniving
反抗纵容
- corrupt, and conquering Jew! - Excuse me!
-反抗腐败 战胜犹太人 -借过
You're disrupting our business.
你们打扰我们做生意了
- Could you... - We have an agitator!
-你能不能... -我们在鼓舞人心
This is our livelihood!
这是我们的生计
Get your swine hands off of me!
把你的脏手拿开
I said stand back!
我说了 退后
- Leave Germany! - You have no right!
-离开德国 -你没有权利
Lousy Jew!
恶心的犹太人
Stay down!
趴下
You better get down
给我趴下
you dirty Jew!
肮脏的犹太人
We should stop this.
我们得制止他们
Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf!
康普 康普 康普
Stop!
住手
Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf! Kampf!
康普 康普 康普
Albert Einstein?
阿尔伯特 爱因斯坦
Herr Einstein!
爱因斯坦先生
Herr Einstein!
爱因斯坦先生
Herr Einstein!
爱因斯坦先生
Stop!
别走
May I have...
你能不能...
your autograph, sir?
给我签个名 先生
I'm sorry, young man, I...
抱歉 年轻人 我...
seem to have lost my pen.
好像把笔给丢了
Bruno! Back here now!
布鲁诺 回来
When I grow up, I want to be a scientist, just like you.
我长大以后 想和你一样成为科学家
Germany Heil!
德国万岁
Elsa.
爱尔莎
Elsa.
爱尔莎
You're right.
你说得对
It's time.
是时候了
I'll, um...
我...
I'll call Princeton.
我去打电话给普林斯顿大学
苏黎世联邦理工学院1896年
Oh, I'm sorry.
抱歉
For what?
为什么道歉
I must have the wrong room.
我肯定是走错教室了
What class are you looking for?
你在找哪一个学科
Physics. Good day.
物理课 再见
Tell me, do you know Empedocles?
告诉我 你认识恩培多克勒吗
古希腊哲学家 修辞学家 诗人及医生
Excuse me?
你说什么
Empedocles.
恩培多克勒
The pre-Socratic philosopher who studied cosmogony.
研究宇宙进化论的苏格拉底前古希腊哲学家
- As I said, I am in... - Physics.
-我说了 我在找... -物理课
Yes, you made that quite clear.
是的 你说得很清楚
Cosmogony is the study of the origins of the cosmos.
宇宙进化论是研究宇宙的起源
And Empedocles, he was the first known person
而恩培多克勒是首位
to ask the simple question, what is light?
提出这个简单问题的人 光是什么
I'm sorry, who are you?
抱歉 你是谁
He believed that Aphrodite, a woman...
他认为是阿芙罗狄蒂 一位女子
古希腊神话中的爱与美之神
in case you didn't know...
如果你不知道的话
formed the human eye and lit a fire in it
塑造了人的眼睛 在里面点燃了火焰
allowing us to see.
让我们能够看得见
Well, that's ridiculous. If that were the case
这太荒谬了 如果是这样的话
well, then we could see equally well at night.
那我们在夜里应有同样的视力才对
Empedocles thought the same
恩培多克勒也这么认为
so he postulated that the sun's rays may be linked
所以他假设太阳光也许与我们眼中
to the rays shooting from our eyes.
所射出的光线有关
A fanciful idea, I know
不切实际的想法 我知道
but if not for him
但如果不是因为他
古希腊大哲学家及科学家
we might not have had the counter-theories of Aristotle
我们也许就不会有亚里士多德提出的相对理论了
古希腊数学家及教育家埃及物理学家
then Euclid, then Alhazen
然后到欧几里得 再到阿尔哈曾
Kepler, Newton, Faraday
开普勒 牛顿 法拉第
开普勒为德国天文学家及物理学家法拉第为英国科学家
and, finally, James Clark Maxwell.
最后是詹姆斯·克拉克·麦克斯韦
英国物理学家及数学家
Light is electromagnetic radiation.
光是电磁辐射
I apologize. I didn't think...
对不起 我不认为...
That a woman could possibly
女性能够明白
understand that the curl of the electric field is equal
电场旋度与磁场的消极时间导数
to the negative time derivative of the magnetic field?
是相等的吗
Faraday's Law.
法拉第定律
The Maxwell-Faraday equation
如果要说得具体一点
if we are being specific.
是麦克斯韦-法拉第方程式
You see, Empedocles was wrong about how we see
恩培多克勒对人类视力的看法是错的
but he stumbled upon a universal truth:
但是他偶然发现了一个普遍真理
human perception is frightfully narrow.
人类的感知是非常狭隘的
We believe we see the whole, when, in fact
我们认为自己看到了全部 但是其实
we've only seen a fraction.
我们只看到了一小部分
Good morning.
早上好
Professor Weber.
韦伯教授
Herr Einstein.
爱因斯坦先生
I see you have met
看来你已经见过
the only student to have scored higher than you
入学考试中唯一一个
in the mathematics section of our entrance exam.
数学成绩高于你的学生了
Say hello to Mileva Maric.
她叫米列娃·马里奇
加利福尼亚州爱因斯坦家族汉堡
Albert?
阿尔伯特
It's probably Mileva.
也许是米列娃打来的
I can't take any more bad news.
我不想再听到坏消息了
You have to talk to her.
你必须跟她谈谈
Hello, Mileva.
你好 米列娃
Oh. Uh, uh, apologies. I thought...
抱歉 我以为...
No, would you repeat that, please?
不 你能再说一次吗
It's the United States Embassy.
是美国大使馆打来的
美国大使馆
This way, please.
这边请
Dr. and Mrs. Einstein.
爱因斯坦博士 爱因斯坦夫人
Thank you for coming in on such short notice.
谢谢你们这么快赶来
I'm Deputy Consul General Raymond Geist.
我是雷蒙德·盖斯特副领事
It's a real honor to meet you both.
非常荣幸见到你们
Please have a seat.
请坐
I must say, we were quite surprised by your call.
不得不说 接到你的电话我们很惊讶
We've been to the United States three times now
我们已经去过三次美国
and we've never had a problem obtaining visas.
获取签证方面从未出现过问题
Yes, ma'am.
是的 夫人
You are aware, young man, that our boat leaves tomorrow.
年轻人 你要知道我们的船明天起航
It's all right, Elsa.
没关系的 爱尔莎
How can we help you, Mr. Geist?
我们有什么能帮你的 盖斯特先生
What is the purpose for your travel to America, Professor?
你去美国的目的是什么 教授
I'm giving a series of lectures
我要在加州理工学院
at the California Institute of Technology
以及普林斯顿高等研究院的开幕式上
and opening the Institute for Advanced Study at Princeton.
做一系列的演讲
But you knew that already.
这你已经知道了
Is that all you plan on doing?
这是你所有的计划吗
How do you mean?
什么意思
What is your political creed, Professor?
你的政治信条是什么 教授
Is this a joke, Mr. Geist?
这是在开玩笑吗 盖斯特先生
I'm afraid it isn't.
恐怕不是
Are you now or have you ever been
你目前或是之前
a member of any political organization?
是否参加过任何政治组织
That is none of your business.
这与你无关
Then perhaps we can talk about Mileva Maric
那也许我们可以聊聊米列娃·马里奇
your ex-wife, yes? Are you in frequent contact?
就是你前妻 可以吗 你们经常联系吗
What has she to do with this?
她和这件事有什么关系
Well, to our understanding
据我们所知
her political background is quite radical.
她的政治背景有些激进
This is nonsense.
一派胡言
May I remind you, Mr. Geist
我要提醒你 盖斯特先生
your country has invited me, not the other way around.
是你的国家邀请我 不是我自己要去
Yes, Professor, but you have a history of...
没错 教授 但你有一段历史
how shall I put this... controversy
我该怎么说呢 颇具争议的历史
which calls into question your loyalties...
所以我们对你忠诚产生了质疑
My loyalties?
我的忠诚
And it is my job to ensure
我的工作是要保证
that any individual coming to our shores
任何去到我国的人
does not pose a threat.
不会对我们构成威胁
If you wish to talk about threats
如果你想谈威胁
Mr. Geist, perhaps you should
盖斯特先生 也许你应该
take a look outside your window.
看看你的窗外
Have you noticed the charming fellows in brown shirts
你有没有注意到那个穿着棕色衬衫的帅小伙
who call me Jewish swine
他叫我犹太猪
and want people like me dead?
希望我这种人去死
If you are referring to the National Socialist Party
如果你说的是国家社会党
they are not in power.
他们并非执政党
Oh, no? You want to take a walk with me?
不是吗 你要和我出去走一圈吗
Professor, I have not called you here today
教授 今天我叫你来
for a-a lesson in German politics.
不是为了上德国政治课
I'm not giving you one.
我也没打算给你上
Because I doubt you'd be smart enough to be in my class.
因为我估计你不够聪明 没资格来上我的课
Albert.
阿尔伯特
Dr. Einstein
爱因斯坦博士
I am conducting this inquiry at the request of the director
我是受美国调查局局长的委托
of the United States Bureau of Investigation.
来进行此次调查的
Hoover?
胡佛吗
Yes.
是的
Mr. J. Edgar Hoover.
约翰·埃德加·胡佛先生
What does he want with me?
他想要我怎么样
He's been quite interested in your political activities
从你第一次到纽约起 他对你的政治活动
and affiliations since your first visit to New York.
以及社会交际关系就非常感兴趣
So, unless you answer my questions
所以 除非你对我的问题
to his satisfaction
所作的回答令他满意
you will not be granted entry to the United States of America.
否则你将不能获准进入美利坚合众国