Cause of death, internal bleeding
死因为内出血
resulting from rupture of pre-existing abdominal aortic aneurysm.
由腹主动脉瘤破裂导致的
Physiology otherwise unremarkable.
生理机能无异常
Brain, 1,230 grams.
大脑重1230克
My father's wish is to be cremated.
我父亲的遗愿是火葬
this is one of the most astonishing objects in the universe.
这是全世界最令人惊叹的物体之一
Studying it could unlock the mystery of genius.
对这个大脑的研究或许能解开天才之谜
Now, you are a man of science.
你是个科学家
He was a man of science.
他也曾是个科学家
In the end, doesn't his brain belong to science, too?
这么说来 他的大脑不也应该属于科学吗
*Happy birthday dear Albert!*
*亲爱的阿尔伯特生日快乐*
*Happy birthday to you!*
*祝你生日快乐*
the person most bored to tears by my babbling is me.
我最受不了我自己长篇大论的了
So I shall politely refrain and thank you all for coming.
所以我还是克制一下 感谢大家赏脸前来
Thank you, thank you.
谢谢你们
I seem to have stumbled onto the wrong gathering.
我可能去错集会了
I was meant to attend a birthday party, not a funeral.
我要去的是生日派对 不是葬礼
Did you see what Halpern's wife asked me to sign?
你看到哈尔彭的妻子让我签了什么吗
It's from last year.
那都是去年的了
It's my face on the cover of time magazine
是我站在一朵蘑菇云前面
in front of a mushroom cloud.
被《时代》周刊拿来做了封面
It's a wonderful likeness.
那只是个肖像
You're the one who actually built the damn thing,
你才是制造出那玩意的人
but still everyone blames me.
但大家还是怪我
Albert, we have quite a surprise in store for you.
阿尔伯特 我们为你准备了一个惊喜
The only gift I want from you, Niels,
尼尔斯 我想要的唯一礼物
is an admission that quantum mechanics is incomplete.
就是你承认量子力学理论还不完整
What fun would that be?
那有什么意思
Yes, well, we would have to find some other excuse
那我们就得为我们的争吵
for our squabbles.
找点别的借口
But the current situation is absurd.
但现在这样太荒谬了
Reality cannot be described by two theories which do not agree.
两个互相矛盾的理论无法用来解释世界
Unified field theory is not the answer, though, Albert.
但统一场论也不行 阿尔伯特
It will be the final chapter in physics.
那就是物理学的终章
I will solve it before I die.
我死前肯定会解决这个问题
Die? No, you'll never die.
死 不 你不会死的
You'll be chiding post-grads long
就算太阳燃烧到了尽头
after the sun has burned itself out.
你还会继续教育那些大学生们
And besides, it's bad luck to be so morbid on one's own birthday.
而且 在生日说这些可不吉利
I've been trying to tell him that.
我早就想说了
Birthdays cause a man to reflect on
生日会让人反省
what little he has accomplished.
他这一生是多么毫无成就
You've achieved more than almost anyone human in history.
你比历史上绝大部分人取得的成就都多
And yet if I died tomorrow,
如果我明天就死了
I would be remembered as the man
大家都会把我当做
who ushered in the nuclear age.
打开了核时代的人来铭记
Be happy with what you have accomplished Albert.
阿尔伯特 你就知足吧
What are you looking for?
你在找什么
My good name, it seems to have gone missing.
我的好名声 它好像失踪了
I'm forming a council, Oppie.
我在组织一个委员会 小奥
The emergency committee of atomic scientists.
原子科学家紧急委员会
Albert, you have guests.
阿尔伯特 还有很多客人在等你
Go enjoy yourself.
去好好享受吧
If my legacy is to be tied to the atomic bomb,
如果我的遗产要跟原子弹扯上关系
it will be for preventing its use.
那也是避免使用原子弹
And I need you to join me.
我希望你能加入
I'm running the institute now,
我是研究所的负责人
I can't get involved in politics.
不能跟政治扯上关系
What are you so worried about?
你在担心什么
The wrath of university administrators?
大学管理层的愤怒吗
I'm worried about Hoover.
我担心的是胡佛
He probably knows what color socks I'm wearing right now.
他可能都知道我现在穿的袜子是什么颜色
It's not safe for me.
那样对我来说不安全
You, don't be ridiculous.
你不安全 别傻了
It's not safe for you either, Albert.
对你也不安全 阿尔伯特
You are not to be smoking.
不能抽烟
Isn't this the one day I should be allowed to smoke?
我生日都不能让我抽烟吗
Come, your grandchildren want to wish you a happy birthday.
来 孙儿孙女们要向你祝贺
Are you enjoying my party, Evelyn?
玩得开心吗 伊弗林
Bernhard has some news he'd like to share with you.
伯纳德有话想跟你说
- Yes, well. - Professor Einstein.
-是的 -爱因斯坦教授
Professor, please everybody,
教授 大家都看过来
our young prodigy David Bohm
小神童大卫·玻姆
has helped assemble this high-fidelity radio.
帮忙组装了这个高保真无线电
We all thought it was time to drag you
我们认为应该由您来
kicking and screaming into the modern era.
呼唤新纪元
Many of us here today are the beneficiaries of your generosity.
这里的许多人都得到了您的慷慨馈赠
Some of us like Dr Oppenheimer are colleagues
一些人是同事 比如奥本海默博士
who sharpen our minds, coming up against yours.
锻炼我们的大脑 准备跟你抗衡
Others are former students whom you've treated
其他的是你以前的学生
with the patience and selflessness of a father.
你曾如父亲般耐心无私地对待他们
But all have blossomed for traveling in his sphere.
但都因遇到你而在各自的领域里取得了成功
I told you this was a ridiculous idea.
我都说了这是个不切实际的想法
The weather has delayed the trains.
天气原因导致火车延误了
Eduard was the one who wanted to go
想逛阿尔卑斯山脉的
traipsing through the alps.
是爱德华
And now he's terribly sick.
现在他病得很严重
Would you like to trade places with him?
你想跟他换换吗
Your father has wanted a holiday with you
你爸一直以来都想跟你
for quite some time.
一起度个假
You owe him at least that.
你至少欠他一个假期
Why do you make excuses for him?
你为什么给他找借口
Because we all make excuses for ourselves.
因为我们都为自己找借口
And we should be good enough to make them for others.
我们也应该行行好给别人找借口
People are complex.
人是复杂的动物
So you're going to tell him, then?
你要告诉他吗
Well, it would be one thing you both have in common.
那会是你们两个的共同之处
- Let's take a look at this... - Come on, we're going.
-咱们来看看这个东西 -咱们走
But grandpa's present?
但是给爷爷的礼物怎么办
A few more items before you retire.
你退休之前还有几件事情
The Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studio is asking for your approval
米高梅工作室请您批准
for the script they sent.
他们送来的剧本
Is it still a movie about the making of the atomic bomb?
还是关于制作原子弹的吗
Then I do not approve.
那我就不批
There are a number of speaking invitations,
有很多演讲的邀请函
Harvard, Cornell, the University of Chicago.
哈佛大学 康奈尔大学 芝加哥大学
I've decide to accept only one, Lincoln University.
我已经决定只接受一场了 林肯大学的
Do you have an opinion on this matter?
你对此有什么意见吗
The sun's gravitational pull is sufficient
太阳的万有引力强大到
to bend light itself.
足以自己弯曲光线
And bend light it does.
并弯曲自己的光线
That is how I finally found proof of
我就是这样最终发现
the theory of general relativity.
广义相对论的证据的
Most scientists thought I was mad.
大多数科学家都认为我疯了
Funny, isn't it, how progress can provoke
有意思吧 进步竟然激起
such an emotional response?
如此过激的反应
Though of course this idea isn't foreign to most of you.
当然对你们大部分人来说这个概念并不陌生
Many believe that young men such as yourselves do not deserve
许多人认为像你们这样的年轻人
the same opportunities as everyone else.
不配和大家享有同等的机会
All because of the color of your skin.
一切都是因为你们的肤色
But what do I know of it?
但我又是怎么知道的呢
After all, look at me.
毕竟 看看我
I am an old white jew with crazy hair.
我是一个发型像个大疯子的犹太白老头
But I too have been disparaged for how I look, for my heritage.
但我也曾因我的长相 血统而被区别对待过
We all share the same decent humanity,
我们都有同样体面的人性
the same curiosity, hopes, dreams.
同样的好奇心 希望 梦想
He consorts with dangerous types.
他结交危险人士
Communists, negroes, anarchists.
共产党员 黑人 无政府主义者
I have to say, sir
长官 我不得不说
I'm surprised Einstein is the target of an investigation.
我很惊讶爱因斯坦成为被调查的对象
Einstein's office is already bugged.
爱因斯坦的办公室已经被监听了
But I've decided to inject new blood into the case.
但我已决定要往这个案子里注入新鲜的血液
That's why you're here.
这就是叫你来的原因
This could be a rewarding stepping stone for you, McKee.
这可是能让你加官进爵的垫脚石 麦基
You'll be on the front lines of the next war.
你将是下一场战争的主力军
Communism is an existential threat to our great republic
共产主义是我们伟大的共和国现存的一个威胁
and Einstein is on the side of the enemy.
而爱因斯坦就站在敌人的一方
Find what I need to put this son of a bitch in jail,
查出能让我把这个狗娘养的关进监狱的证据
at least send him on a one-way trip back to Germany.
至少也要给他一张回德国的单程票
Is it worth it, Edgar?
埃德加 这样值得吗
Going after the worlds most famous scientist?
对世界上最着名的科学家下手
Einstein humiliated me.
爱因斯坦侮辱了我
I could have lost my job.
我差点就丢了工作
I almost did lose my reputation.
我的名声几乎毁于一旦
What is it that the scientist say?
那个科学家说什么来着
an equal and opposite reaction...
都有均等且方向相反的两个力
Nuclear weapons are the obstacle to world peace,
核武器是世界和平的阻碍
not its solution.
而不是通往和平的路
Well, I think the best way to ensure they are never used is
我认为 保证永不使用核武器的最好的办法
to give control of them to the scientists who made them.
就是将控制权给发明创造它的科学家
Not the american military.
而不能给美国军队
You think the red army is going to leave the bomb
你觉得红军会把原子弹
to their scientists?
交给他们的科学家吗
The soviets are mad.
苏联就是个疯子
Which is why we must push for containment.
这就是我们必须努力遏止的原因
That is a fantasy.
那太不切实际了
Exactly, the U.S. and the Soviets will continue
说得对 美国和苏联会继续
to build their nuclear stockpiles.
扩大自己的核储备量
And perhaps they should.
也许他们应该这样
What the hell are you talking about, Leo?
李奥 你说什么呢
Perhaps what will ultimately save us
或许最终能拯救我们的
is two superpowers with the ability to completely destroy one another.
是两个足以毁灭彼此的超级力量了
Atomic use leads to atomic retaliation
使用原子武器导致别人用原子武器来报复
and that retaliation leads to more retaliation
而这种报复又导致更多的报复
and we end up at reciprocal annihilation.
我们终将彼此毁灭
Which is why neither side will ever dare using even one weapon.
这也是双方都不敢动用这种武器的原因
I cannot believe my ears.
简直不敢相信
I'm sorry, Leo, but I cannot.
对不起 里奥 但我不能
Whether by accident, or idiocy, or the will of a tyrant,
不论是碰巧 还是愚蠢 还是暴君的意志
these weapons will be used.
这些武器都会投入使用
And when they are, not even God can help us.
一旦使用 上帝都帮不了我们了
What is it you suggest, Albert?
那你有什么提议 阿尔伯特
A world government.
一个世界性的政府
It would sit on top of all existing nations and,
凌驾于所有国家之上
as an adjudicator in all disputes, would make world wars
裁决一切争端 让世界大战
No nation would give up its sovereignty.
没有国家会放弃主权
We're dealing with a threat to the basic existence of humanity.
我们面临的是对人类生存的威胁
In my own work, I find that when faced with an audacious problem,
以我的经验 我发现对于复杂的问题
an audacious solution is usually the answer.
常常要用复杂的解决方法
So let's put our prodigious heads together
所以我们一起集思广益
and see what we can come up with.
看看能想出什么办法
Professor Bohm to see you?
波姆教授来找你
I just read your paper.
我刚读了你的论文
Hopefully it will give you some ammunition to fire back
希望你能从中找到一些用来对付
at the quantum contingent.
量子学派的论点
It does, and it came at just the right moment.
的确 而且时机正好
I've been stalled on unified field theory for months.
我卡在统一场论上面好几个月了
So you'll recall the idea of 'hidden variables' from my paper.
回忆一下我的论文里"隐藏变量"的定义
If we can assume both a quantum particle, for example,
我们假设两个粒子 比如一个量子颗粒
an electron, and a 'guiding wave' that governs its motion.
一个电子 和一个"引导波"控制它的运动
He's not at the office either.
他也不在办公室
I've been admitted to Zurich Polytechnic
我已经被苏黎世联邦理工录取
I'll be following in your footsteps.
我会跟随你的脚步
This will be an extra-ordinary adventure.
这会是一场非比寻常的探险
Engineering? But why?
工程学 为什么
Engineering is the future, Papa.
工程学未来前景好 爸
No. You've been sold a story.
不 只是有人给你灌输这种思想
Hans, trust me. This is beneath you.
汉斯 相信我 这对你来说太屈才了
You have a gift. You've always excelled in science.
你有天赋 你在科学上一直很有造诣
Target your ambitions, and then aim higher.
志存高远 然后把眼光放长远
Engineering is my ambition.
工程学就是我的志向
It isn't science, Hans.
那不是科学 汉斯
I don't want you to give up on science like your mother did.
我不希望你像你妈妈一样放弃科学
Give up? She sacrificed herself for all of us.
放弃 她为了我们所有人牺牲了她自己
For you, most of all.
主要是为了你
She's no martyr, Hans. She made her own choices.
她不是牺牲者 汉斯 她自己做了选择
Don't squander your talents like she did.
不要像她一样浪费你的天赋
There are nobler pursuits for a brain like yours.
你这样的头脑应该有更高尚的追求
No, you mean a brain like yours, Papa.
不 你是说像你这样的头脑 爸爸
I want to do something different.
我想做不一样的事
Ah. It's days like today, Helen,
海伦 像今天这种日子
that I'm reminded that science is primitive and childlike.
提醒了我科学是单纯的 是孩子气的
I'm sorry for your loss, my boy.
孩子 对你失去亲人我深表哀悼
that's an interesting way to put it.
这话说的真有意思
Tell me, what were you doing earlier, before I arrived?
告诉我 我来之前你在干什么
And yesterday when I couldn't reach you?
昨天我找不到你的时候呢
I was at the office.
我在办公室
No, I called your office.
不 我给你办公室打了电话
There are moments when I get absorbed in what I'm doing, Hans.
我常常会沉浸在我的工作中 汉斯
Yes, I certainly do.
没错 我当然知道
But I have always hoped that once, just once in my life,
但我总是期盼着 总有那么一次 就一次
you'd be absorbed with your family instead of your work.
你会沉浸在家庭中 而不是工作
But we're just a burden to you.
但我们对你来说只是负担
That's not fair, Hans.
汉斯 不是这样的
I think you're relieved she's dead.
我倒是觉得你很庆幸她死了
How could you say such a thing?
你怎么能说这种话
You'll never again have to worry about her money problems
你再也不用担心钱的问题
or feel guilt for what became of her.
也不用对她的状况感到内疚了
I thought we put aside this bitterness years ago.
我以为我们多年前就摒弃前嫌了
That is because you are completely oblivious to the feelings
爸 那是因为你完全无视
of those closest to you, papa.
跟你最亲近的人的感受
You are so kind to so many people.
你对很多人都很和蔼
But you've been so cruel to your own family.
但你对你的家人却很残忍
I've accepted a teaching position at Berkeley.
我接受了伯克利大学给的教职
We won't have to see each other again.
我们不会再相见了
Hans, wait, don't leave like this.
汉斯 等等 别就这么离开
You treated her miserably, and you should be ashamed.
你对她这么刻薄 你应该觉得羞愧
I'm only angry with myself for taking this long
我气我自己这么久以来
to say that to your face.
都没有当面告诉你
Don't contact me, papa,
别联系我 爸爸
The neutron itself was discovered by Chadwick, an Englishman.
中子是查德威克发现的 英国人
The cyclotron by Lawrence, an American.
粒子加速器是劳伦斯发明的 美国人
The splitting of uranium was detected by Hans, a German.
铀裂变是汉斯发现的 德国人
Don't blame it all on me.
别都算在我头上
Would it be possible for you to go and see
你会不会亲自去会见
President Roosevelt yourself?
罗斯福总统
And besides I do not know Mr. Roosevelt very well.
而且我和罗斯福先生也不太熟
I'm sure the president knows you, sir.
总统可是很了解你 先生
It would be more polite if I just write him a letter.
给他写封信更礼貌一些
The acting was abominable,
演技烂透了
the science completely wrong.
科学原理也错的一塌糊涂
And I don't really talk like that, do I?
而且我才不会那样说话 对吧
Well, at least they implemented some of the changes you proposed.
至少他们根据你的提议做出了一些改变
Well, to my mind it certainly didn't improve.
我觉得根本没有改善
Your pain is likely due to an aneurysm of the aorta.
疼痛是主动脉瘤造成的
Basically a small bulge in the artery.
就是动脉里的一个凸起
Not if he doesn't smoke, cuts out the sweets,
只要他不吸烟 不吃甜食
and avoids strenuous activity.
避免剧烈运动就没事
That does include sexual congress, Dr. Einstein.
包括性行为 爱因斯坦博士
I see, to live long, I must forego anything worth living for.
懂了 为了保命 我得放弃一切乐趣
David, where is everybody?
大卫 人都去哪了
They're terrified, Albert.
他们很害怕 阿尔伯特
This, it's a subpoena.
这个 法院传票
The un-American activities committee.
非美式行为委员会
What could be more un-American than an inquisition?
还有什么比庭审更非美式的呢
I'm scared, Albert.
我很害怕 阿尔伯特
You'll be all right, David.
没事的 大卫
You have the first amendment in this country.
在这个国家 有宪法第一修正案保护你
Stand up, tell the truth.
站出来 说出真相
Say yes, I was a communist.
承认你曾是个共产党员
It is not illegal to have been one.
以前是又不犯法
I won't be able to get a job.
我会找不到工作的
They cannot force you to speak.
他们不能逼你自证其罪
Mr. Bohm, are you now or have you ever been
玻姆先生 你现在 或者曾经
a member of the communist party?
是否是一名共产党员
On the advice of counsel,
根据法律顾问的建议
I invoke my right under the fifth amendment not to answer,
我要行使宪法第五修正案的拒答权
on the grounds I may incriminate myself.
因为我或将自证有罪
How could those bastards suspend a man for
这帮混蛋怎么可以因为他参加了一些集会
attending a few meetings?
就将他停职
You know it's out of my hands.
你知道这事我管不了的
I'll offer to pay his salary.
我可以给他发工资
He can be my personal assistant.
他可以来当我的私人助手
Albert, if David Bohm steps foot on the
阿尔伯特 一旦大卫·玻姆
institute's grounds, he will be arrested for trespassing.
踏进学校 他就会因非法入侵而被捕
And you and I will soonner after
然后我们俩马上也得
be polishing our resumes.
去找新工作了
The United States government sees Bohm as a threat.
美国政府视玻姆为威胁
And no matter what its flaws,
无论这个国家多么不完美
I still believe a man must put his country first.
我仍然坚信 人要把自己的国家放在首位
This is a man's life.
这事关人的一生
If we sit on our hands, they'll come after us next.
如果我们坐视不理 他们接下来就会整我们
They want to intimidate us into silence.
他们想逼着我们禁言
That way we become easier prey.
那样我们就成了小羔羊
Don't do anything rash, Albert.
别冲动行事 阿尔伯特
Don't worry, whatever I do will be quite deliberate.
别担心 我做的事一定是经过精心计划的
You think it's foolish, I know.
你觉得这样很傻 我知道
Yet again I'm inviting controversy.
但我欢迎不同见解
You truly are a sphinx, Helen.
你真是难琢磨 海伦
Elsa had opinions, advice.
爱尔莎都有自己的观点 建议
Elsa had strategy.
爱尔莎有策略
No, you certainly are not.
对 你当然不是
The only thing you show enthusiasm for
你唯一有兴趣的事
is keeping my pipe from me.
就是把我的烟斗藏起来
You haven't seen it, have you?
你没见过 对吧
I'm Eleanor Roosevelt.
我是埃莉诺·罗斯福
On today's program, I'll present a special segment from renowned
今天的节目将为大家带来着名物理学家
physicist Albert Einstein.
阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦的特辑
The arms race between the united states and the Soviet Union
美苏两国之间的军备竞赛
has assumed hysterical proportions.
已经达到了歇斯底里的地步
On both sides, means of mass destruction are being perfected
这两国都在以疯狂的速度不断改良
with feverish haste
大规模杀伤性武器
and behind walls of secrecy.
而且还秘而不宣
And now the production of the hydrogen bomb
现如今 氢弹的研发
will be accomplished.
也快成功了
If these efforts prove successful,
如果这些武器试验成功
annihilation of all life on earth will have been brought
地球上所有生命将有可能
within the range of what is possible.
集体灭绝
Outside the United States, we establish military bases.
在美国境外 我们建立军事基地
Inside the United States,
在美国境内
inside the United States, the loyalty of citizens
在美国境内 公民的忠诚度
is carefully supervised by a police force
被日益增强警方
growing more powerful every day.
牢牢地监控着
People of independent thought are being harassed.
思想独立的人受到骚扰
The public is indoctrinated.
公众被强行灌输思想
With one television interview, he humiliated the bureau.
他的这次电视采访令当局颜面扫地
We must move on him before he does more damage.
我们必须在他造成更大危害前弄走他
I'm doing all I can, sir.
我正在尽我所能 先生
Search his mail, tap his home phone,
搜索他的邮件 监听他家的电话
follow his acquaintances.
跟踪他的朋友
You have discretion to do whatever it takes.
你有权利动用一切手段
I'm just wondering what evidence persuaded a judge to
我只是好奇是什么证据能够说服一名法官
sign a warrant for such an extensive operation.
签下了范围如此广的行动的许可令
We cannot wait on the slow wheels of justice.
我们可不能坐等缓慢的正义
I'm not sure I understand, sir.
我好像不太明白 先生
Nobody would hire him after his hearing and now he's in Rio
听证会后没人聘用他 结果他现在
with diarrhea and a sunburn.
只能在里约忍受腹泻和晒伤
And you can bet your Brazil nuts he spends
你就算是傻子都能猜到
every waking moment wondering,
他一定醒着的时时刻刻都在想
"Why did I stonewall the bureau?"
"我为什么要妨碍当局"
I have confidence you'll get the results I need, McKee.
我相信你会让我满意的 麦基
And then we are left with a unique modification to
接下来我们就需要对我先前的"导波"构想
my previous 'guiding wave' proposal, because this wave
做一点独特的修改 因为这种波
can influence a quantum particle without becoming.
能够在不激发的状态下影响量子粒子
Albert, we've been down this road.
阿尔伯特 我们已经试过这条路了
No, no, no, no, this is different.
不 不 这次不一样
It seems that the more the rest of physics accepts my work,
看起来随着物理学对我工作认可程度的增加
the more you resist it.
你的抵抗情绪也在增加
Because it's all conjecture.
因为全是臆想
Where is your proof?
你的证据呢
You sound just like one of those stodgy members of the
你听起来就像那些曾经对广义相对论做出
establishment who said the same thing about general relativity.
同样论断的古板的机构成员
Are you actually comparing
你真的要用
quantum mechanics with relativity?
量子力学和相对论作比较吗
Albert, tell me, what do you have to show for all this
阿尔伯特 告诉我 你花这么久
time you've spent chasing unified field theory, huh?
追寻统一场理论 有什么成果
Perhaps if you just let go of your ego for just a moment,
如果你能够短暂的放下你的自尊
you could admit that you are simply wrong.
你就会承认你错了
You're as bad as those fools in Washington.
你和华盛顿的那些蠢货没什么两样
Trying to ruin anyone who comes up against me.
试图毁掉每个攻击我的人
You think I'm trying to ruin you?
你觉得我想毁掉你
You make me out to be a laughing stock.
你让我成为笑柄
Anyone who doesn't follow your decree is a traitor
任何违背你指令的人不是叛徒
or an imbecile and I've had enough of it!
就是傻瓜 我已经受够了
Albert, you've lost yourself.
阿尔伯特 你已经失去自我了
Yes, perhaps like one of your unobserved particles,
没错 也许就像你未注意到的某个粒子
I'm not even here.
我压根就不在这
I think you should go.
我觉得你该走了
This is a CBS news bulletin.
播放一条哥伦比亚广播公司的新闻
Julius and Ethel Rosenberg have been found guilty of conspiracy
朱利叶斯和艾瑟尔·罗森伯格因犯有间谍同谋罪
to commit espionage.
而被判有罪
Under federal law, the rosenbergs are eligible
根据联邦法律 罗森伯格夫妇符合
for the death penalty.
执行死刑条件
"A country which prides itself on
"一个以言论自由为豪的国家
freedom of speech must not commit the most barbarous
绝不能对传播信息的人
act of retribution on those who disseminate information.
施以最野蛮的报复行为
That much, your honor, should be self-evident."
法官达人 这一点是显而易见的"
No, I'd like my pipe, please.
不 请先把烟斗给我
It's the one thing left in this world that gives me pleasure.
这是世界上唯一能给我带来快乐的东西了
I cannot help you with that.
这我帮不到你
As true as the moon pulling the tides,
就像月亮"牵引"着潮汐
here we find ourselves again.
我们在此重新找回自己
You want to say my little controversies are pointless.
你想说我的小争论毫无意义
But you will not say it.
但是你不会说出来
Silence again, silence always.
如此沉默 一如既往
As though it were a virtue.
好像这是一种美德
It is no virtue, Helen.
这不是美德 海伦
Pull the page and let me sign it.
把纸拿出来 让我签字
There are controversies,
是有争议
and then there is absolute stupidity.
并且非常愚蠢
You do understand I am speaking out
你明白我是在公然反对
against a clear wrong.
一个明显的错误
Did you not ask my opinion?
你不是没问我的意见吗
This isn't like speaking at a negro college.
这可不像在黑人大学演讲
This is about meddling in the affairs of
这可是在插手美国政府的
the United States government.
国务
My own son will not speak to me.
我的儿子都不和我说话
I'm made to feel like a dinosaur in the physics community.
我被认为是物理学界的老古董
I've completely stalled on unified field theory.
我对统一场理论的研究已经陷入僵局
And I have no idea where my pipe is.
我完全不知道我的烟斗在哪里
I'm getting old, Helen.
我在渐渐变老 海伦
my voice is all I have left.
发言权就是我仅剩的一切
This is precisely what we need.
这正是我们需要的
But we intercepted Einstein's letter before
但是我们在法官收到之前
it reached the judge.
截获了爱因斯坦的信
Seeing as we don't have a warrant.
鉴于我们并没有搜查令
Oh, be creative, McKee.
别这么死板 麦基
Reseal the letter.
把信重新封好
Have it sent to the judge and pay him a visit.
寄给法官 去拜访他一次
"Have you received correspondence
问他 "您有收到
from Albert Einstein?" You ask.
爱因斯坦的信吗"
"Whatever would give you such an idea," He replies.
他会回答 "你为什么会这么想"
"A confidential source," You answer.
"消息来源需要保密" 你答道
"But if you're a good American and you believe in our institutions,
"但倘若你是位守法的美国公民并深信政府
I'm sure you'll aid the bureau in this quite
我相信在这次涉及国家利益的敏感事件中
sensitive matter of national interest."
你会选择协助联调局的工作"
You want me to intimidate a federal judge?
你想让我去威胁联邦法官吗
Who said anything about intimidating?
谁让你威胁了
There's no evidence of a crime here, sir.
我们手上压根没有犯罪证据啊 长官
Has Einstein actually done anything illegal?
爱因斯坦有任何违法举动吗
Einstein is a fox and we have him up a tree.
爱因斯坦是只狡猾的狐狸 我们把他困在了树上
It's time to pull the trigger.
是时候扣下扳机了
I'll find someone to make noise with that letter.
我会找人制造这封信的舆论
Here it is, in his own hand, a letter,
就是这封 他亲署的信
trying to influence a federal judge on behalf of spies and
他妄想迷惑一位联邦法官
pinko subversives who delivered our closely guarded atomic
就为了那些正把我们用以自卫的原子弹机密
secrets right up the steps of the Kremlin!
向克林姆宫全盘托出的俄国间谍和左倾颠覆分子
This so-called genius, he would replace the stars and stripes
这位所谓的天才可以毫不费力地
with a hammer and sickle without breaking a sweat!
把我们的星条旗换成苏联国旗
Congressman Rankin, over here, sir!
兰金议员 请看这边 先生
How did you come to be in possession of the letter?
您是如何得到这封信的呢
Judge Kaufman himself, a true patriot.
考夫曼法官亲自给我的 他是位真正的爱国者
Now, are there any other questions?
还有什么问题吗
The Washington Post, the Chicago Tribune,
《华盛顿邮报》 《芝加哥论坛报》
the Philadelphia Inquirer.
《费城询问报》
Even this commie rag has denounced him.
就连这份抱着共产主义狗腿的报纸也公开抨击他了
You just earned yourself a promotion, McKee.
你给自己争取到了晋升机会 麦基
My assignment was to amass evidence and either
我的任务是收集证据
charge him criminally or find grounds to have him deported.
起诉他犯罪或是找到充分理由驱逐其出境
Have you assembled evidence so that I may charge Einstein?
你有找到可以让我起诉爱因斯坦的证据吗
Have you brought me grounds by which I may deport him?
那你有找到可以让我将他驱逐出境的理由吗
Not yet, sir, but.
目前还没有 但长官...
Then you have failed.
那么你的任务就算失败了
Men like Einstein confuse an unstable nation.
像爱因斯坦这样的人会使尚未稳定的国家陷入混乱
And such confusion is as reprehensible and
如此妖言惑众和其他的罪行一样
is as punishable as any other crime.
都应该受到谴责及惩罚
So I found a way to punish him.
所以我找了个法子治治他
Your solution is to humiliate a man?
你的办法就是羞辱他吗
To silence him?
就只是为了让他闭嘴
Einstein has spoken out with impunity for years,
多年来 爱因斯坦一直口无遮拦却不受惩罚
it was time someone shoved a gag in that mouth.
是时候有个人来让他闭嘴了
When you question the integrity of the bureau's actions,
当你质疑联调局行动是否公正时
you question the integrity of my actions.
你就是在质疑我的举措是否有理
They can get a man in a whole mess of trouble.
足可以让人惹上一身麻烦
Let Einstein speak out, and he'll be drowned by
让爱因斯坦畅所欲言吧
the patriotic citizens of this fine country.
他会被爱国公民的口水给淹死的
It takes a man a lifetime to build his reputation,
人需要一生的时间来树立自己的声望
and yet a mere moment to scuttle it.
但仅需一瞬就可以让一切毁于一旦
That's a version of relativity
这是相对论的另一个解释
Dr. Einstein ought to have learned long ago.
爱因斯坦博士早就该知晓了
Perhaps now Einstein will retreat to the laboratory
也许爱因斯坦该退回实验室里搞科学了
where he belongs.
那才是属于他的地方
In the meantime, all good citizens would do well to
同时 良好的爱国公民就应该
turn a deaf ear to his subversive screeds.
对他那些颠覆性文章充耳不闻
We should instead pay attention to
我们要将注意力放在
the patriots who have lived all their lives...
那些耗尽一生为国奉献的爱国者...
It's time to get out of the house.
是时候离开这幢房子出去走走了
Is there somewhere I'm meant to be?
我有什么地方可以去吗
Go to your office.
去你的办公室吧
You haven't been there in months.
你好几个月没去了
I haven't had an original thought in so long
我已经很久没有好想法了
I've forgotten what it feels like.
我都忘了那是什么感觉了
If I went to my office, I'd only stare at the walls.
我到了办公室也只会对着墙壁发呆
The wallpaper is much nicer here.
而这儿的墙纸漂亮多了
Helen, what's an eight letter word
海伦 那个表示"冰冻疗法"的
that means "Frozen treat"?
八个字母的单词是什么来着
P, something, p, something, something,
p 什么 p 什么
something, something, something.
什么什么什么
I'm going to the market.
我要去市场了
Dr. Einstein, my name is Alice Edwards and, well, you are
爱因斯坦博士 我叫爱丽丝·爱德华兹
the smartest man in history, sir, all the papers say so,
你是历史上最聪明的人 所有报纸都是这么说的
and all that stuff you said about the universe and whatnot?
还有你就整个宇宙所提出的一切理论及观点
Well it's really important to kids all across America,
这对全美国的孩子们都非常重要
and that's why your brain is critical in helping me
所以我才如此需要您辅导
with my long division, which, I have cookies.
我的长除法功课 而且我有曲奇饼呢
If you could kindly fill in the answers here, here and here,
劳烦您填一下这儿 这儿 还有这儿的空
I'll work backwards and get the gist,
我就能通过逆向思考掌握这个算法了
that's kind of how I learn.
这就是我的学习方法
Why do your teachers make you study mathematics?
为什么你的老师要你们学习数学
Exactly, what good is stupid math anyway?
就是啊 学数学有啥用处啊
Here's the strange thing.
奇怪的是这个
Almost all flowers in nature have a certain number of petals.
自然界里几乎所有花的花瓣数都是一定的
Either 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, or 55.
无非5 8 13 21 34 或55片
It's called the Fibonacci sequence.
这就是斐波纳契数列
And the Fibonacci sequence in turn is related to the golden mean.
而斐波纳契数列又逐渐趋近于黄金分割比
Sounds like an Agatha Christie book.
听起来像是阿加莎·克里斯蒂的书英国女侦探小说家
My name is Alice Edwards, ma'am.
我叫爱丽丝·爱德华兹 夫人
Dr. Einstein was kind enough to help me with my long division.
爱因斯坦博士好意为我解答长除法问题
Well, Miss Edwards,
爱德华兹小姐
Dr. Einstein isn't taking visitors at the moment.
爱因斯坦博士现在不方便接待客人
Despite his willingness to accept bribes.
尽管他很想收下你的"贿赂"
Gee, she's a real charmer.
我天 她真是一点都不可爱
I wish my teachers were more like you.
我希望我的老师们更像你一点
You make this stuff sound fun.
这些从你口中听来都很有趣
Thank you for reminding me of that.
谢谢你提醒了我这一点
You can keep this.
这个你拿去吧
Count them before next time.
下次先把花瓣数一数
Where on earth are you going?
你究竟在干嘛
You told me to go to the office,
你让我去办公室
so I'm going to the office.
所以我要去办公室
Rumors of an Einstein sighting on campus
传闻都已经沸沸扬扬了
made waves very quickly.
说看到爱因斯坦在学校里
I had to come see if it was true.
我得来看看这是不是真的
How are you, Niels?
你过的怎么样 尼尔斯
In my own little world, marking time.
在我自己的小世界里 原地踏步
It's good to see you're back at work.
很高兴看你回来工作
I'm muddling my way through unified field theory again.
我又在纠结统一场论了
You know. There's a bit of an anomaly in your work.
你知道吗 你的论证上有点不对
I beg your pardon?
不好意思你说什么
Can't be third order.
不可能是三阶
My God, you're right.
我的天 你说的对
I'd have gone fumbling my way through that for another week
如果你没有指出来的话
if you hadn't pointed it out.
我就得再摸索一个礼拜了
I read the manifesto you and Bertrand Russell wrote.
我看了你和伯特兰·罗素写的宣言
It was very impressive.
印象深刻
And yet no one listens.
但没人要听
I fear my influence on the use of atomic weapons is long past.
恐怕我对原子武器的影响力早已不在了
If only I could turn back the clock to
要是我能回到大家还在乎
when people actually cared about what I had to say.
我的言论话语的时候多好啊
Perhaps that could be your final triumph, Albert.
这可能可以成为你最终的胜利 阿尔伯特
There are many moments I would like to relive
有很多时刻我想重新来过
and many ill's I'd like to fix.
有很多伤害我想弥补
Time is a tricky thing, you taught me that.
时间是很复杂的东西 这是你教我的
People have missed you here, Albert.
大家都很想念你在的时光 阿尔伯特
It's purely selfish on their part, to be sure.
当然于他们而言这很自私
But they need you to keep their minds sharp.
但他们需要你来让他们保持头脑敏捷
Not just to keep my mind sharp.
不仅是保持我头脑敏捷
What are you looking for?
你在看什么
An equation, well, half-formed,
一个方程式 还没完全成型
it's more of a scribble; Maybe 10, 15 years old?
是我胡乱写的 大概十或十五岁的时候
If you can give me something else to go on...
如果你能给我点其他线索
It must be here, it's very important.
肯定在这里 这很重要
Niels and I've been talking about
尼尔斯和我一直在讨论
I keep everything, professor.
所有的我都留着 教授
You have a visitor.
你有个访客
So I looked up that Fibonacci thing
我在大英百科全书
in the encyclopedia Britannica.
查了下斐波那契数列
Here's what I don't get.
还有一点我没搞懂
How do they know the math?
它们怎么会知道数学
I mean, does a flower realize
一朵花知道自己
it's supposed to have a certain number of petals?
该有几片花瓣吗
And why the heck does it care, anyway?
不管怎样 花关心这个干嘛
That's a very interesting question, Alice.
这问题有意思 爱丽丝
Let me show you something.
我给你看个东西
I think I might find an answer for that.
我觉得我可能找到了这个问题的答案
I'm sure it's in this book somewhere.
肯定是在这书里
From my grandchildren.
我孙子给的
It's strange. If you hadn't noticed it,
很奇怪 如果你没注意到这个
I might have forgotten it existed.
我都可能已经忘了它的存在
That's probably because you're getting old.
这可能是因为你老了
He said he's not feeling well.
他说他不舒服
Asked me to come back tomorrow.
让我明天过来
So see ya later I guess.
所以再见了
That door has closed.
那扇门已经关了
Are you really such a fool?
你真愚蠢至此吗
- I know when there's nothing more to be done. - I see.
-我知道已经无力挽回了 -看出来了
And yet you never gave up on nuclear proliferation.
但你从没放弃过解决核扩散问题
You did not find it too daunting to speak at a negro college
没人敢在黑人大学演讲
when no one else would dare, or to defend convicted spies.
或为已定罪的间谍辩护 你却并未退缩
You have compassion for so many people.
你对这么多人有着怜悯之心
You fight for so many people.
你为这么多人而抗争
Why is it you cannot fight to be reconciled with your own son?
为什么你就不能努力下和自己的儿子和解
I think I liked you better
我觉得我更喜欢你
when you kept your thoughts to yourself.
把话憋在心里的时候
I am certain you did.
你肯定是这样
Hans told me that he wants nothing more to do with me.
汉斯说他不想和我有任何关系
You care so much about your legacy,
你很在乎你能遗留在世的东西
about how you will be remembered by the world.
在乎自己如何能被这世界记住
But the world begins and ends in your own family.
但这世界起始于家庭 也终于家庭
Come in, my boy.
进来吧 我的孩子
You're helping a ten-year-old girl with long division?
你在帮一个十岁的小女孩算长除法吗
You're good with other people.
你和其他人相处融洽
With your colleagues, the cleaning woman, taxi drivers.
与你的同事 清洁女工和出租车司机
But you made me feel inferior.
但你却让我感到自卑
When I was young, my father told me
年少时 我父亲告诉我
that physics was a waste of time.
物理是浪费时间
I only realized near the end of his life
在他生命将尽时
that he wasn't being cruel.
我才发现他当时并不严厉
He was terrified for me.
他替我感到害怕
And I forgave him for it...
所以我原谅了他
I am proud of you, Hans. I hope you know that.
我为你感到骄傲 汉斯 希望你知道这点
You're a brilliant engineer.
你是个出色的工程师
Bernard it's your turn, go.
伯纳德 到你了 快点
And a far better father than I ever was.
作为一位父亲 你比我好太多了
I love Eduard as I love you.
你们俩我都一样爱
I wish I could have spent more time with both of you.
但愿我能多陪陪你们俩
You made her feel inconsequential, Papa.
你让她觉得微不足道 爸爸
You told me she wasted her life.
你和我说她浪费了一生
Your mother was the blood in my veins,
你母亲是在我血管中流淌的血液
but I was the thorn in her side.
而我却是阻挡她前路的荆棘
She was a great scientist, Hans.
她是个伟大的科学家 汉斯
Insatiably curious.
有着永不满足的好奇心
I would never have achieved anything without her.
没有她 我根本无法取得任何成就
She was the love of my life.
她是我一生的挚爱
It's not cheating, that's checkmate.
不是作弊 那叫将军
Did they make their flight?
他们赶上飞机了吗
Yes, Hans said he hoped to be back in a few weeks.
赶上了 汉斯说他希望几周后能回来
I don't have a few weeks.
我没有几周的时间了
Look deep into nature.
深入观察自然
Then you will understand everything better.
你对一切就会了解得更透彻
His brain. You want to what,
他的脑子 你想怎样
slice it up and gaze at it under a microscope?
切开 然后在显微镜下观察吗
What is the alternative?
还有其他选择呢
Cast it into a furnace?
扔进火炉里吗
Before us is your father's last great gift to the world.
我们眼前的是你父亲最后留给世界的伟大礼物
Do what you will with the brain.
大脑随便你怎么处理
But if you think you can comprehend who my father was
但如果你认为在显微镜下观察他的大脑
or why he was so brilliant by looking at his brain
就能理解我父亲的为人
under a microscope, you are sorely mistaken.
或是得知他为何如此聪明 那你大错特错
It is just a thing.
这只是一样东西
That, that is not the man.
那并不是他
And for that matter,
就此而言
The goal of scientific pursuit should not
科学研究的目的不只是
merely be to make use of the world around us,
要利用我们周围的世界
it should be to understand it, fundamentally.
而是应该要从根本上理解世界
No matter what use it might be.
不管可以如何利用
From the smallest molecule to the largest galaxy,
上至最大的星系 下至最小的分子
every question must have a definable answer.
每一个问题都有可定义的答案
And, well, I intend to find those answers.
我就想要找到这些答案
What is it, Papa?
这是什么 爸爸
It's a compass, Albert.
这是个指南针 阿尔伯特
With it, you will never be lost.
有了它 你就不会迷路了
But why does the needle move?
但指针为什么会动呢
Something called magnetism.
因为磁力
Magnetism, what is that?
磁力是什么
There is a field all around us,
我们周围都有磁场
invisible but very powerful.
虽然看不到 但是却很强大
A field, what's that?
磁场是什么
And how can it be so powerful if it's invisible?
如果看不到 又怎么会如此强大呢
And how does a magnet know how to talk to the field?
磁铁怎么知道如何与磁场交流呢
So how'd you get so smart, anyway?
你怎么会这么聪明呢
I have no special talent.
我并没有特别的天赋
But I am very, very curious, Alice.
但是我非常非常地好奇 爱丽丝
All I do is ask questions.
我所作的只有提出问题
That's the most important thing.
那是最重要的事
Anybody can do that.
任何人都能做到
You know, I was looking up at the moon last night
昨晚我看月亮时
and wondering, why doesn't it come crashing down?
在想 它为什么不会坠落
And is it true that it causes the tides?
它真的会引发潮汐吗
And if that's true, then how come my cat's milk doesn't
如果是真的 那在月亮升起来时
slop out of her saucer and spill all over the floor
我猫咪的牛奶为什么不会从它的碟里流出来
when the moon's flying over?
撒到地上呢
And where did the moon come from anyway?
还有月亮到底是从哪来的
I mean, I know it's not made of cheese or anything,
我知道月亮不是芝士什么做的
but it had to come from somewhere, right?
但它肯定是从某个地方来的 对吧
The stars and all the planets, too, how did they get there?
那些行星和星球又是怎么去到那里的呢