Previously on Genius...
《天才》前情提要
Albert Einstein.
阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦
Your reputation precedes you.
你可是大名鼎鼎啊
Your mother, sister and I are moving - to Italy.
你母亲妹妹还有我要搬到意大利去
So you're abandoning me?
您这是抛弃我了吗
No! I'm looking out for your future.
不 我是在为你的未来着想
- How is Marie? - Wonderful. She's teaching me French.
-玛莉好吗 -很好 她最近在教我法语
You will go back to Munich, and that is an order.
你要立刻回慕尼黑 这是命令
I'm sorry, Father, but I'm not going back to Germany.
对不起 父亲 可是我不会回德国了
It is time to stand up for Germany!
是时候为德国站出来了
Tell me, my son, uh, the genius,
说啊 我的天才儿子
how do you propose to make a living without a job?
你没有工作要怎么生活
I'm going to be a professor.
我要做教授
You failed your entrance exam!
你入学考试都没通过
I won't fail again.
我不会再失败了
Welcome to Zurich Polytechnic.
欢迎加入苏黎世联邦理工学院
I apologize, I didn't think...
对不起 我不认为...
That a woman could possibly understand
女性能够明白
the Maxwell-Faraday equation.
电场旋度与磁场的消极时间导数是相等的吗
Einstein, say hello to Mileva Maric.
她叫米列娃·马里奇
Thank you, Papa, she's so beautiful.
谢谢爸爸 她太漂亮了
She makes such lovely colors.
她呈现的颜色如此漂亮
It's called refraction.
这叫做折射
All the colors are there, inside the light.
所有的颜色都在那儿 在光里
The glass just pulls it apart so we can see.
玻璃只是将它分离出来让我们能看见
Did they teach you that in school?
是学校教你的吗
We don't learn about science in school.
学校不教科学
I found it in a book.
我从一本书里发现的
What ever will become of you, my brilliant Mileva?
你会成为什么样的人 我聪慧的米列娃
And it changes, through work.
它通过做功产生变化
It passes into and out of the systems that govern our lives.
在影响我们生命的各个系统中不断进出
And, as these systems interact,
并且在这些系统相互作用的时候
they seek balance.
他们寻求平衡
in a hot room melts.
在热的房间融化
And along with this transfer of energy
其能量转换的过程
熵 热力学中表征物质状态的参量之一用符号S表示 其物理意义是体系混乱程度的度量墨水滴到水里会扩散就是熵增原理的最好现象 即混乱程度增加伴随着熵的增加用符号S表示 其物理意义是体系混乱程度的度量comes an associated increase in entropy.
Now, this process,
现在 这个过程
like all natural processes, is...
如同所有的自然过程 是...
Is there something the matter, Miss Maric?
有什么问题吗 马里奇小姐
With me? No, sir, nothing.
我吗 没有 先生
of the motion of the underlying molecules
基础分子运动的结果
and Newton's laws of motion are reversible,
并且牛顿的运动定律是可逆转的
then what explains irreversibility here?
那么如何解释这里的不可逆转性呢
we will deal only with what has been proven.
只讲已经被证明的东西
The existence of molecules has not.
分子的存在还未被证明
Miss Maric raises a fair question, sir.
马里奇小姐提出的问题很合理 先生
Herr Einstein, please.
爱因斯坦先生
These pencils for example...
以这些铅笔为例
Of course they won't hop off the floor
它们当然不会飞离地板
- and neatly rearrange themselves back in the box, - Herr Einstein...
-灵巧地自己排回盒子里 -爱因斯坦先生
but they could, mathematically, could they not?
但它们可以的 从数学上讲 不可以吗
Newton's equations work both ways,
牛顿的力学方程双向都是成立的
so, theoretically,
因此 理论上来说
if the movement of molecules is the underlying principle...
如果以分子运动为基本原则
I appreciate your enthusiasm,
我欣赏你的激情
but we do not engage in theatrics here.
但我们不接受夸张行为
As was my point, a block of ice melts...
我刚才讲的是 一块冰融化
Miss Maric! A word?
马里奇小姐 借一步说话
I've no time for idle conversation, Herr Einstein.
我没时间闲聊 爱因斯坦先生
Of what use is conversation if it's idle?
如果是闲聊 谈话有何意义
No, I-I wanted to discuss your inquiry in class.
我想讨论你课堂上的问题
- Did I seem in distress? - Excuse me?
-我看起来很苦恼吗 -你说什么
As though I was in need of a savior?
还是说我需要一个救星
Uh, quite the contrary.
恰好相反
Then I'm unsure why you took it upon yourself
那我就不懂为什么你觉得
to intercede with Professor Weber on my behalf,
你应该代我出头向韦伯教授求情
or why you believe you're entitled
或者为什么你觉得
to my attention in this moment.
此刻你应该获得我的关注
I can assure you, I come highly recommended.
保证我很值得你的关注
Herr Einstein...
爱因斯坦先生...
...are you attempting to flirt with me?
你是想挑逗我吗
Well, that wasn't my intention, but I...
我没有那个意思 但是我...
I did not come to university to flirt,
我来大学并非为了调情
or to meet a man, and certainly not
或者找男人 更不会是
to find a husband.
为了找个丈夫
I fear you've misunderstood me, I merely...
我觉得你可能误会了 我只是...
Good God, man, what did you do to her?
我的天 老兄 你把她怎么了
What a troubled creature.
真是难懂的女人
We didn't have a chance to meet before class.
我们之前还没来得及互相认识
Albert Einstein. Sorry about your pencils.
阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦 抱歉弄撒了你的铅笔
Oh, no. No apology necessary.
没事 不必道歉
It was a-a compelling demonstration, actually.
你的演示非常有说服力
Yes, for a moment, I thought we'd bear witness
是的 有一瞬间我还以为我们会目睹
to an explosive transfer of energy
韦伯教授的头颅爆炸
from Professor Weber's skull.
而产生的能量传递
Well, that would have been fantastically irreversible.
那这个过程绝对是不可逆的
Marcel Grossmann.
我是马塞尔·格罗斯曼
Uh, we were just headed for some lunch.
我们正要去吃午饭
- Would you care to join us? - Why not?
-你要不要一起来 -好啊
Are you under the impression
你是不是以为
you're the only one in the building?
这栋楼里只有你一个人
- Sorry, did I disturb you? - Your playing is...
-抱歉 我打扰到你了吗 -你拉得
...adequate, but it makes it quite difficult to concentrate.
挺不错的 但这样我无法集中精力
Mozart helps me think.
莫扎特的音乐有助于我思考
I'm not sure this assignment requires much thought.
我不觉得这次作业需要太多思考
Not if we were to follow these...
如果我们遵循这些死板的讲解
inelegant instructions.
的确是不需要
There must be a better approach, don't you think?
肯定有更好的方法 对吧
I think following the instructions is the way
我认为遵循讲解是确保
to pass the class.
考试通过的方法
Is that all you want from an education?
你想要的教育就是这样的吗
To pass your exams?
为了通过考试
- I want a degree, don't you? - Certainly.
-我想要拿到学位 你不想吗 -当然想
But I'm a student of science because...
但我是学科学的学生
well, I... I want to discover new ways
我想要发现新的方式
of understanding the world around me.
来理解我身处的这个世界
Don't you already know how this will turn out?
你不是已经知道结果是什么了吗
I find knowing how it will turn out reassuring.
知道结果是什么让我安心
Discover quietly, Herr Einstein.
安静地去发现 爱因斯坦先生
If he had been the least bit contrite about the damage,
哪怕他对自己搞的破坏有一点点悔恨之心
I might be willing to overlook it,
我也就不追究了
but the idiot had the nerve to claim the fault
但这个蠢货竟然敢质疑
was with my instruction.
是我的讲解有问题
He was reaching beyond what was required.
他当时的研究超出了要求的范围
Let us not fault him for being eager.
别因为他心急了就怪他
Eager? He's a lazy dog.
心急 他就是个懒狗
He hasn't completed a single one of my assignments.
我布置的作业他一个都没完成
Yes, but he passed his winter exams with flying colors,
是 但他以优异的成绩通过了冬季考试
- did he not? - I am baffled as to what you see in him.
-对吧 -我不知道你到底看中他哪点
Einstein may be the brightest mind I have yet taught.
爱因斯坦或许是我教过的最聪明的人
Now, I agree he can be impudent, but he is young.
我承认他很无礼 但他还年轻
Who of us was not a horse's ass at his age?
我们在他这个年纪的时候谁不是个烦人精呢
I will have a talk with him.
我会找他谈谈
"B" for "Boltzmann"?
找B开头的波兹曼吗
Half a term on gases,
气体讲了半个学期
Weber still hasn't mentioned kinetic theory.
韦伯还没提到分子动力学
I'm beginning to think I'll learn more
我在想如果我能读本好书的话
if I spend all my time with a good book.
我肯定能学到更多东西
Well, I'm afraid I've beaten you to this one.
恐怕我捷足先登了
I don't mind sharing.
我不介意分享
Maybe you could read to me.
你可以读给我听
Did your fiddle decide to fight back?
你的小提琴奋起反击了吗
I should've taken your advice and followed the instructions.
我该听取你的建议 遵循讲解的
Well, I hope you've learned your lesson.
希望你能吸取到教训
Why must you be so cruel to me, Miss Maric?
你为什么对我这么严厉 马里奇小姐
Herr Einstein. Take a walk with me.
爱因斯坦先生 跟我去走走
Herr Professor, Miss Maric and I were just discussing...
教授先生 我和马里奇小姐正在讨论...
I only have a few minutes before my next lecture.
我还有几分钟就要去上课了
If you decide to share, do give me a knock.
如果你愿意分享 记得来找我
Give her a chance.
给她一次机会
Let her take the entrance exam.
让她参加入学考试吧
This is a school for boys.
这是男校
And the best instruction in the sciences
也是东欧科学学科
Eastern Europe has to offer.
最顶尖的学校
And what would your daughter do with such instruction?
你要你女儿学这么好的科学干什么
Chatter in her sewing circle?
在她的缝纫妇女会里聊天吗
Mileva does not sew.
米列娃不会缝纫
She's up all night,
她彻夜苦读
filling her brain with things I can't begin to understand.
学得东西都是我已经开始无法理解的了
Then how do you know she understands them?
那你怎么知道她能理解
I am afraid we are done here, Mr. Maric.
就谈到这里吧 马里奇先生
Miza, will you please show the headmaster what you're reading?
米扎 你能不能把你看的书给校长看看
Did you truly think I would be moved by such a display?
你真的觉得我会被你们这种装模作样打动吗
And how did you come by that book?
你怎么拿到这本书的
We took the train to Vienna,
我们坐火车去了维也纳
there weren't any books on electromagnetic theory near home.
我们家附近没有关于电磁理论的书
So the methods of Faraday have, uh, piqued your interest?
所以法拉第的理论激发了你的兴趣吗
It is Faraday's concepts of fields and potentials
法拉第的磁场和电位概念
that provide the most natural setting
为格林和高斯在数学上的发现
for the mathematical discoveries of Green and Gauss.
做了极其自然的铺垫
It is not often I come across a student
我很少碰到像你这样
with your boundless potential.
拥有无限潜力的学生
But I'm afraid to say that not all your professors
但是恐怕不是所有的教授
share my patience with your eccentricities.
都像我一样能够容忍你的古怪
- I don't understand. - You are skipping classes,
-我不理解 -你翘课
missing assignments and challenging your instructors.
不交作业的行为是在挑战你的导师
Frankly, you give the impression
坦白讲 你给大家的印象是
you think you have all the answers.
你自认为无所不知
The opposite, in fact.
实际上正相反
I-I've got nothing but questions.
我一无所知 疑问重重
How am I supposed to find answers if I don't ask?
但是如果不问又该如何找到答案呢
By respecting the fundamentals.
尊重基本原理
And being mindful where you place your attention.
并且意识到该把你的注意力放在哪里
The library is no place to... woo a woman.
图书馆可不是用来讨好女士的地方
- Sir? - I am not blind.
-先生 -我又不瞎
I have seen you in close conversation with Miss Maric
我已经看到你和马里奇小姐多次
on more than one occasion.
密切交谈了
Miss Maric? I, I barely know her.
马里奇小姐 我几乎不认识她
- And I certainly wasn't... - Good.
-我真的不是 -那就好
You keep it that way.
继续保持
The Slavs are a dangerous sort, I assure you.
我向你保证 斯拉夫人是很危险的
Now, I was more than happy to take up your case
现在 我非常乐意在教员中的怀疑者面前
with the doubters on the faculty.
为你的行为负责
- Thank you, but I... - And come graduation,
-谢谢您 但是我 -毕业时
I can be useful in securing your future.
我能够为你的未来提供保障
If... you prove my faith founded.
如果你配得上我对你的信心
I-I'll do my best, sir.
我会尽全力的 先生
Is Herr Einstein in?
爱因斯坦先生在吗
I believe he is still in Aarau with Marie.
我想他还和玛莉在阿劳
- Marie? - His fiancée.
-玛莉 -他的未婚妻
As if it wasn't struggle enough for her
就好像天生古板这事
that she was born lame.
还不够让她煎熬
This will ruin her.
这会毁了她的
I will not have our daughter dragged down
我不会让我们的女儿被这些
by these antiquated notions of femininity.
陈旧的对女性的偏见而拖累的
She has not only passed her entrance exam,
她不仅仅通过了入学考试
she scored higher than anyone.
她的分数比其他人都高
Do you think the world will clear a path for her
你觉得这世界会因为你的意愿
simply because you will it?
就为她破例吗
Not because I will it.
并不是因为我的意愿
Because I fight for her.
因为我为她而抗争
But here? In my own home?
但是这里 我自己的家里
With my wife? No!
和我的妻子 不
There will be no discussion.
这事不容商量
Well, no man ever married a woman for her mind, hmm?
没有男人会因为女人的思想而娶她 是吗
Don't worry, Mama.
别担心 妈妈
I won't need to marry.
我不需要结婚
I plan to be a scientist.
我要成为一名科学家
Oh, my beautiful daughter.
我美丽的女儿
What a joy it is, to celebrate your birth.
庆祝你的生日是多么愉快的事
Seems any day now, we will be losing you to another man.
好像我们随时都会将你让给另一个男人
But we could do worse than you, Albert.
但是我们能做得比你糟 阿尔伯特
Who knew inviting you into our home those years back,
谁知道多年前邀请你来我们家
we would expand our merry band so exponentially?
会扩大我们欢乐团队的规模呢
Dear Maja is as much a sister to our girls
亲爱的玛雅就像姑娘们的妹妹
And now you've brought us Mr. Besso.
现在你为我们带来了贝索先生
Such a charming dinner companion.
一位如此有魅力的晚餐同伴
I hope you'll return for many more meals.
希望你能多回来吃饭
Yes. And so would Anna, apparently.
没错 很显然安娜也该多回来
But most importantly,
但是最重要的是
thank you, Albert.
谢谢你 阿尔伯特
For making our Marie so very happy.
你让我们的玛莉这么开心
I was, I was working with a Kundt's tube,
德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感我在用孔脱管做实验时
测量温度对德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感
measuring the effect of temperature
声波速度的影响德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感
on the speed of sound waves,
在尝试增大振幅的时候德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感
and in an attempt to magnify their amplitude,
我忽视了需要考虑德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感
I neglected to compensate
德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感
for the flammable nature of the...
材料易燃的特性德国科学家昆特的昆特管实验 用以测量气体或固体中的声速本仪器利用煤油的振动演示声驻波 理解影响驻波的因素仪器直观 实验现象生动 可见三个以上驻波的波峰 有震撼感
ce que tu dis n'a aucun sens.
别说这些没用的[法语]
I'm sorry, I don't understand.
抱歉 我不懂
You never did pay any attention
我们的法语课
during our French lessons,
你从来都不上心
and sadly, physics is not my forte.
遗憾的是 物理不是我的强项
Of course you, you don't want to discuss physics.
你当然不想讨论物理
I don't want to discuss anything.
我什么也不想讨论
Take me for a walk.
带我去走走
I can't thank you enough for the welcome
简直无法表达我的感谢
your family has shown me.
你的家人对我如此热情
- The train won't wait. - Take a breath, son,
-火车可不等人 -放轻松 孩子
there's plenty of time.
我们时间充裕
Well, Miss Winteler.
保重 温特勒小姐
I do hope you'll return sooner rather than later, Mr. Besso.
我真切希望你会尽早回来 贝索先生
Oh, look it, you're blushing.
瞧瞧 你的小脸都红了
I could make the trip to Milan.
我可以去米兰旅行
But Grossmann's family have a house on a lake
但格罗斯曼一家在湖边有栋房子
and I've been invited to join them. So...
他们邀请我过去住 所以...
I do enjoy sailing.
我真的喜欢划船
Albert, you would tell me if something was troubling you.
阿尔伯特 如果有心事你会告诉我吧
Of course, Mariechen.
当然 亲爱的玛莉
You know I'm a modern man, Albert,
你知道我是个开明的人 阿尔伯特
but my Marie is risking a great deal with you.
但我的玛莉对你寄予厚望
I expect you to do right by her.
我希望你能好好对她
Safe travels, son.
一路平安 孩子
God, I close my eyes,
老天 我一闭上眼睛
and her face is all I see.
脑海里全是她的脸
This conversation is far past insufferable.
这段谈话已经让人忍无可忍
You should have joined us.
你应该加入我们的
There is a third sister.
还有个三妹
You would have enjoyed her company.
你肯定会喜欢她陪在你身边
I'm not in the market for a wife.
我又不是在市场里挑媳妇
Who said anything about shopping?
谁说是在购物了
I'm talking about love.
我说的是爱情
Oh, Jesus, save me. Albert, please.
神啊 救救我 阿尔伯特 帮帮忙
I want the sordid details.
我想听污段子
I don't understand how you all arrived at this notion
我不明白你们为什么都觉得
that we're engaged.
我们订婚了
I can't understand your reluctance.
我不明白你为什么不愿意
She is beautiful, she is kind.
她又漂亮又善良
And she loves you so deeply.
而且她如此深爱着你
I'm not sure I want to spend my life
我不确定是否要和一个
with a woman who can't carry a compelling conversation
无法对事物本质进行深入对话的女人
on the nature of things.
共度一生
That is not what wives are for.
妻子不是用来做这些的
For once, I am with Marcel.
我难得同意马塞尔一次
Tell me why I put up with you bourgeois bores.
我为什么要忍受你两个无聊的资产阶级
Because you want to borrow my geometry notes,
因为你想借我的几何笔记
you faux bohemian.
你个虚伪的波西米亚人
That odd little gimp stopped by the other day.
那天奇怪的小跛脚女来过
She does have a little hitch in her gait, doesn't she?
她走路是有一点点蹒跚 对吗
Do love the sound of her voice, though.
倒还挺喜欢她的声音
Miss Maric! Miss Maric.
马里奇小姐 马里奇小姐
What a kind gesture, leaving this book for me.
谢谢你把这本书留给我
I couldn't help but think about the pencils.
我不由得想到了我们第一堂课时
From our first class?
讲到的铅笔
熵和概率学是有冲突的从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小如果像玻尔兹曼那样
If we think of entropy as Boltzmann does,
把熵看作一种概率的量度 那么熵和概率学是有冲突的从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小
as a measure of probability, well, then,
熵和概率学是有冲突的从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小
the process is irreversible,
这个过程就是不可逆的熵和概率学是有冲突的从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小
because the number of possible configurations for the pencils
因为盒子外铅笔组合的可能性熵和概率学是有冲突的从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小
outside of the box is nearly infinite,
近乎无穷熵和概率学是有冲突的从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小
whereas there's only a handful of possibilities
但如果要将它们放回来熵和概率学是有冲突的从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小
for the way they fit back in...
其组合只有有限的可能性...熵和概率学是有冲突的从熵的原理上说比如一个瓶子装两层小球一层红色一层绿色晃动瓶子小球只能越来越混乱 永远回不到原来有序的样子从概率上讲这是错的 只要一直晃下去 就有可能恢复 虽然概率极小
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
很高兴你喜欢它
Now if you'll excuse me...
现在麻烦借过一下
We don't have much time left in the term,
我们这个学期没剩多久了
things I want to talk to you about, like...
事情我想和你说 比如
The probability of chaos.
混乱程度的概率性
You're playing a trick.
你在开玩笑
What do you mean?
你说的是什么意思
I know you're spoken for.
我知道你有主了
Herr Grossmann told me.
格罗斯曼先生告诉我了
So this is, what, a little fun at my...
这又算是什么 嘲笑我...
But Marie, it's not... She's...
但玛莉不是... 她是...
This is not a possibility.
这不可能
You both look ruddy.
你们俩看上去都满面红光
Seems the summer holiday
看来暑假
- has treated you well. - In my mind,
-过得不错 -在我脑海里
I'm still on a sailboat with schnapps in hand.
我还在帆船上 手捧酒杯
The Wintelers had hoped to see you in Aarau.
温特勒一家很希望能在阿劳见到你
- Yes, well... - Good Lord, Besso,
-我知道 -我的老天 贝索
if I closed my eyes,
如果我闭上眼睛
I could mistake you for my mother.
还以为你是我妈
All summer long, I have been starved of your constant derision.
整个夏天我都想听你一刻不停的嘲笑
How ever did I survive?
我是怎么活过来的
Ah, Albert. I nearly forgot, there's a book
阿尔伯特 差点忘了 有本书
that you must read.
你必须要读
Mach. The Science of Mechanics.
马赫的《力学史评》
He argues for the reconsideration of Newton.
他认为应该重新思考牛顿力学
The reconsideration of Newton.
重新思考牛顿力学
Dear God, he's an imposter.
天啊 他一定是个赝品
Quick, Grossmann, send for the constable.
快点 格罗斯曼 去叫治安官来
Welcome back, gentlemen.
欢迎回来 先生们
Sir, I was wondering,
先生 请问
have you heard anything of Miss Maric?
您有马里奇小姐的消息吗
I thought you had no interest in her?
你不是对她没兴趣吗
I don't. I don't. Or it is merely intellectual.
我没有 只是有些欣赏她的才智
She lent me a book.
她借了本书给我
Well, if you must know,
既然你这么想知道
she's auditing classes in Heidelberg and will not be returning.
她去海德堡旁听课程 不会回来了
Do you remember what we discussed?
还记得我和你说过什么吗
Attention and commitment.
专注和承诺
They will serve you well.
会为你带来帮助的
Cannot believe this.
我真不敢相信
What is this girl doing in our class?
这位姑娘来课堂上干什么
Good morning, everyone.
同学们 早上好
My name is Professor Philipp Lenard.
我是菲利普·勒纳教授
I'm pleased to welcome you
欢迎你们的到来
to The Kinetic Principles of Theoretical Physics.
我们将讲述理论物理的动力学原则
- Over the course of the term, - Who is she?
-在本学期的课程中 -她是谁
these lectures will explore a vast yet infinitesimal universe.
我们将共同探索浩瀚却又微小的宇宙
My esteemed Miss Maric.
尊敬的马里奇小姐
My thoughts drifted your way more than once this summer.
今夏我不止一次地想到你
Do forgive me for the distress I caused at our last meeting.
请原谅我在最后一次见面时为你带去的困扰
I hoped I would be able to apologize in person.
希望我可以当面道歉
But as I understand it,
但我知道
something has drawn you to Heidelberg.
海德堡内有什么吸引了你
If you find yourself bored,
你若是觉得无聊
please write and share with me why you chose to leave.
请给我写信 告知我你选择离开的理由
You really should find a man to carry all those books for you.
你真该找个男人来帮你拿书
Thank you, Frau Fricke.
谢谢 弗里克夫人
Now, if these molecules
如果这些分子
move with a velocity of over 400 meters per second,
以超过每秒四百米的速度运动
then, using these results,
那么利用这些结果
we can determine that they travel no more
我们可以确定它们的位移
than 1/100 of a hairsbreadth.
是非常短的
I must offer an apology.
请容我道歉
Your instructions were clear.
你说得非常明白了
I was to wait to write to you until bored,
我本要等到无聊再给你写信的
but I'm never that.
但我毫不无聊
I was compelled to ignore those instructions
在听过勒纳教授
after a lecture from Professor Lenard,
关于热和气体的动力学理论这堂课后
exploring the kinetic theory of heat and gases.
我不得不无视你的要求给你写信
Just as we always hoped to hear from Weber.
我们一直希望韦伯能教授给我们这些
You simply won't believe what this lecture revealed.
你绝对不会相信这堂课教授了什么
What I want to know, sir, is why?
我想知道的是 先生 为什么
heat flows and temperatures are connected?
热流动与温度有关
Or-or different gases exert different pressures?
或为什么不同的气体造成的气压不同
If we were to explore kinetic theory...
如果我们要探讨动力学理论...
Now, this is not an exploration. It is a lecture.
现在不是要探索 这是课堂
Pick up your pencil...
拿起你的笔
Physics is dynamic!
物理是动态的
You see knowledge as a baton to be passed,
你将物理视为传递下去的接力棒
but scientific pursuit isn't a race.
但科学事业并不是比赛
This should be an adventure!
这该是一场冒险
Herr Einstein, enough!
爱因斯坦先生 够了
Never, in all my years of teaching, have I seen such disrespect.
在我多年的教书生涯中 从未有人如此无礼
It will not be tolerated.
我绝不能容忍此事
There's no reason to take this personally.
这不是针对你个人的问题
It's the basis of thermodynamics I'm questioning.
只是关于热力学基础的疑问
Not you, Herr Weber.
而不是你 韦伯先生
You will address me as Herr Professor, you impudent twit!
叫我教授先生 你这个厚颜无耻的傻瓜
My apologies, Herr Professor, but I don't understand...
抱歉 教授先生 但我不明白...
The laws of thermodynamics are observable and provable.
热力学定律是可观测可证明的
There is nothing to question.
没有任何疑问
Don't you find it fascinating that even though
你不觉得这让人着迷吗
these tiny molecules of gas
这些微小的气体分子
move at a near incomprehensible speed,
以惊人的速度移动
that they travel hardly any distance at all.
却几乎没有任何位移
Not even a hairsbreadth.
连毫厘之间都没有
These radical thoughts are a disease.
这些偏激思想是病态的
Who has infected you?
是谁传染了你
Is it Boltzmann? Mach?
是波尔兹曼吗 还是马赫
Miss Maric wrote to me about one of his lectures and I...
马里奇小姐写了一封信 描述他的课堂
Again with this woman. Did I not warn you that she was dangerous?
又是那个女人 我早就提醒过你她非常危险
Miss Maric has done nothing but demonstrate
马里奇小姐什么都没干
her deep intelligence to you, and yet
她只表达了对你知识渊博的敬仰之情
you treat her with disdain.
你却如此轻视她
I... what offense has she ever given you?
她怎么冒犯您了吗
You are a very clever boy, Einstein.
你是个很聪明的男孩 爱因斯坦
But you have one fault.
但你有一个缺点
You will never let yourself be told anything.
你听不进去任何东西
That is clearly all I have left to offer you.
这是我唯一能给予你的了
Is he angry with me?
他生我的气了吗
Angry? Of course not.
当然没有啊
Albert's probably not even...
阿尔伯特可能都没...
Well, not even what?
没有什么
Oh, you know how he gets.
你知道他的
Ah, you mean distracted?
你是说他的走神吗
He's just consumed by whatever's right in front of him.
他只是对周遭的一切都异常感兴趣
Mmm. It can be very charming.
这点可以非常吸引人
But also very frustrating.
但也很让人失望
If it makes you feel better, I haven't had a letter
如果这能让你好过点 我想说
since he's been back in Zurich.
自他回苏黎世后 我一封信都没收过
Not even a postcard.
明信片也没有
I just miss him, I suppose.
我只是很想他
I bet he'd like some tea.
我觉得他会喜欢喝茶的
Studying all those hours. Don't you?
学习了好几个小时后喝一杯茶 你觉得呢
My brother has no idea how very lucky he is.
我哥哥真的不知道自己有多幸运啊
May I see this one, please?
我能看看这个茶壶吗
Of course, Fraulein.
当然可以 小姐
If you'll permit me, my name is...
如您允许 我叫...
One doesn't lose track of the sole woman in the room.
没人能忘记教室里的唯一女性
I've been trying to understand equipartition theorem
我一直尝试着去理解能量均分定理是
and if it applies to the case of diatomic gases.
如何解释双原子气体运动的
How do I distribute the energy?
能量是如何分布的
As a matter of fact, it does indeed apply,
事实上 该原理确实可以应用于此
and you use the theorem in exactly the same way as before.
你可以像之前那样使用此原理来解释现象
you divide the energy equally,
你将能量均分
giving the rotational and vibrational modes
让气体分子的振动模式和转动模式
the same amount as the translational ones?
与平移模式所具有的能量相等吗
You have an impressive command of this material.
你对此理论有很深刻的理解啊
With whom else have you studied?
你师从过谁的门下
On equipartition theorem? Only you, sir.
能量均分定理方面的话只跟过您学习
Though I did some reading while studying
但我在苏黎世联邦理工学院学习时
at Polytechnic in Zurich.
也查阅过相关资料
I found the instruction on thermodynamics there...
我发现那边的热力学研究...
auditing my lectures for...
旁听我的课程
No, sir. I mean, yes.
不是的先生 确实是
I've enjoyed them very much, but...
我非常享受其中 但...
I've written an essay on kinetic theory.
我写了一篇有关气体动力学理论的论文
I was hoping you might make time to read it.
我希望您能抽时间看一看
And if you find it worthy,
如果您觉得有价值
that you might write to the administration on my behalf?
可否请您为我向校领导写封信
I've petitioned to be allowed to take the entrance exam.
我想请求参加入学考试
I admire your spirit, Fraulein,
我很佩服你 小姐
but the Swiss are much more liberal than the Germans.
但瑞士比德国更自由
Heidelberg does not, nor will not confer degrees on women.
而海德堡却不是 这里绝不授予女性学位
You should return to Zurich and earn your diploma.
你应该回去苏黎世 拿个学位证
I might be willing to consider you
我可能会让你
for a research position, hmm?
参与我的研究 好吗
Thank you, but, sir...
谢谢 但先生...
I can't go back there.
我不能回去了
I-if you want to spend time together in the library,
你愿意和我一起去图书馆吗
I could help you study.
我可以辅导你学习
Perhaps I'll take you up on that.
好的 我和你一起
Well, then, I'll see you tomorrow.
那明天见咯
Might we have ourselves a beau?
你是有男朋友了吧
Three letters from the same young man.
同一位年轻男士寄来了三封信
Did it all go just as you'd planned it?
一切皆如你计划地发展吗
Well, she said yes, which is all that matters.
重点是 她说她愿意
But, uh, we weren't able to do much celebrating.
但是 我们不能大肆庆祝
Doesn't sound like the Wintelers.
听上去不像温特勒家的人啊
No, but Anna puts Marie's feelings above her own, so...
是啊 安娜将玛莉的感受置于她自己的之上
I don't understand.
所以我也不明白
I know that you're tired of hearing this from me,
我知道你厌倦了我说这些话了
and believe me, I'm twice as tired of saying it.
但请相信我 我也厌倦了说这样的话
For the love of my soon-to-be marriage,
为了我的未婚妻着想
please make your intentions clear to that poor girl?
向那可怜的女孩表明态度
I don't know what to say to her.
我不知道该和她说什么
Well you can't simply keep silent.
但你也不能就这样一直沉默啊
Send her a letter, a thank you for the gifts that she sends.
给她写封信 谢谢她送的礼物
I didn't ask her for any of those things.
我又没要她给我那些东西
Can you really be this thickheaded?
你真的这么迟钝吗
Look, she's a wonderful person, but I'm...
听着 她是个好女人 但是我
Watch where you're going, hey!
走路当心
I didn't come back for you.
我不是为你回来的
If I could have earned my degree in Heidelberg,
如果我能在海德堡获得学位
I'd be there still.
我会待在那里
I am only here for my degree.
我只是为了学位回来这里
I have so much catching up...
我有很多东西要赶上进度
You're a distraction.
你会让我分心
I won't distract you.
我不会让你分心
I cannot get lost with you.
我不能跟你一起迷失了
We can discuss physics,
我们能讨论物理学
geometry, but we cannot get lost.
几何学 但我们不能迷失
You look just like a little doll.
你看起来就像个小洋娃娃
Your body's so soft,
你的身体很柔软
your face is so stern,
你的脸却很严肃
just like a little porcelain doll.
就像个小小的瓷娃娃
I think that's what I'm gonna call you.
我想我就这么叫你吧
You think I look funny?
你觉得我长得很可笑吗
No. Why would you...?
不 为什么你
This is not a joke to me.
这对我不是个玩笑
Hear me, Albert. If this is just...
听我说 阿尔伯特 如果对你来说
shaking the sheets for you, then you must let me be.
这只是一时纵欲 那你必须让我离开
I'm head over heels in love with your mind.
我全身上下都爱着你的聪慧
Albert, you coming?
阿尔伯特 你要一起来吗
Wait, what time is it?
等等 现在是什么时候了
What is time? That is the real question.
时间是什么 这才是真正的问题
Albert, be serious, we're late for class.
阿尔伯特 认真点 我们上课要迟到了
What does it matter? I told you,
这有什么关系 我跟你说过
I'll help you catch up. Besides,
我会帮你赶上进度 再说
attendance isn't required, only that we pass the exams.
出席又不是必要的 只要通过考试就行
It may not be required, but it's certainly expected
出席可能不是必要的 但绝对是学校期待的
and I cannot fall below expectations.
我的表现不能低于学校的期待
Such expectations are for small minds.
这种期待只适合心胸狭小的人
For men like Weber, who are slaves to convention.
适合韦伯这种墨守成规的男人
Men without creativity or vision.
缺乏创意或远见的男人
Thank God for that.
幸好你不是
It's months before exams.
考试前还有好几个月
What's one more morning?
一个早上不上课又怎样
Shall I brew more?
要我再泡茶吗
It's still warm and it's been a while.
茶还是热的 已经有一阵子了
Well, the law of cooling is a decaying exponential,
冷却定律是指数衰减的图像
but you need a measurement on the liquid
但你需要对液体进行测量
to get the heat transfer coefficient.
才能得到热传导系数
Don't worry about the measurement for now.
现在别担心测量问题
We'll find a new way to think about it.
我们会找到新方法来思考它
forget the tea entirely.
不考虑茶水
What if we thought of molecules like people?
如果我们把分子想像成人呢
Moving at impossible speeds,
以不可思议的速度移动
bumping in to one another.
彼此互相碰撞
And the amount of pressure people feel
而且人感受的压力量
can be understood by how frequently these bumps happen.
能够以碰撞频率来计算
- more pressure. - No, not necessarily.
-压力越大 -不 不一定
How big is the room?
空间有多大
Say they're crammed into a crowded hallway.
假设他们挤在一条拥挤的走廊
Jostling and bumping, late for class.
推挤碰撞 上课迟到
High pressure, yes?
压力很大对吧
Now let's place them in a grand ballroom.
现在我们把他们放在很大的舞厅
Only now, ten times the size.
现在空间增加了十倍
Enough to dance freely around the room.
足够让他们自在跳舞
Let's write a paper together.
我们一起写篇论文吧
On what? This isn't a new thought,
关于什么 这又不是新的想法
just a new way of seeing it.
只是一种看待事物的新方法
What if this is the way to prove
说不定这就是证明
the existence of molecules?
分子存在的方法呢
Doesn't it sound like fun, Dollie?
听起来不有趣吗 洋娃娃
You and me writing a paper
你和我一起写论文
that could change the world.
这篇文章可能会改变世界
The probability of chaos.
混乱度的概率性
Not the title I would choose, but...
换了我可能不会选这个题目 不过
we can discuss it.
我们可以商量
I tried to tell you,
我是想告诉你
Einstein's like all the other Jews...
爱因斯坦和所有犹太人一样
obnoxious and self-aggrandizing.
让人讨厌 自我膨胀
Oh, apologies, Hermann.
抱歉 赫尔曼
You've always been an exception.
你永远是个例外
Oh, why, thank you.
是吗 多谢了
I made every effort to act as a mentor
我尽了一切努力想做好
to that young man.
这个年轻人的导师
Fail him if you must.
必要的话让他不及格吧
I am no longer concerned for his future.
我再也不操心他的未来了
I'll draft a letter of reprimand.
我会草拟一封训诫信
The mean kinetic energy is always the same,
平均动能永远保持不变
whether its atoms are chemically bound or not.
无论它的原子是否以化学方式结合
Hence, equal increments of mean kinetic energy
因此 平均动能的增量
correspond to equal increments of temperature.
应与相应温度的增量相等
And the specific heat is...
而比热是...
Not a single thing.
一点事都没有
Isn't it a miracle, Dollie?
这是不是奇迹 洋娃娃
So many of us, millions and millions.
世上有千千万万个人
How ever did we find each other?
我们是怎么找到彼此的
We are a mere month from your final exams.
离期末考试只有一个月了
Your performance will determine your future.
你们的成绩将决定你们的未来
Every single one of you has the ability to succeed.
你们每个人都有能力获得成功
- Have you seen Albert? - But do you have the will,
-见到阿尔伯特了吗 -但你们是否有决心
Good morning, dear Dollie.
早上好 亲爱的洋娃娃
I had the most wonderful dream last night.
我昨晚做了个无比美妙的梦
We were dancing along the string
我们在小提琴的琴弦上
And I woke up with this thought.
我醒过来时就在想
What if the properties of different gases
也许不同气体的性质
are just like the different timbres
就犹如不同乐器的
of musical instruments?
音色一样
All accounted for by their different molecular makeup.
全都取决于它们分子组成的不同
Back in the blink of an eye.
我马上回来
Make us some tea, Dollie.
煮点茶吧 洋娃娃
- Liar! - Dollie, what... what...
-骗子 -洋娃娃 怎么...
Do not call me that!
不准这么叫我
"My dearest Albert,
"我最亲爱的阿尔伯特
I hope you're still enjoying the teapot."
愿你还喜欢着茶壶"
But you haven't supported my studies.
可你并没有支持我的学业
You haven't helped me catch up.
也没有帮我补功课
You've siphoned my time,
你榨取了我的时间
my thoughts, my energy,
我的想法 我的精力
all for your own gain.
都是为了你自己
How could you be so careless with my heart?!
你怎么可以对我的感情毫不在乎
- But I... I have... - Stop!
-可我在乎... -住口
Let me explain, please.
听我解释 求你
You only cared about yourself.
你只在乎你自己
You haven't even tried to understand me.
你根本没有想要理解我
- How hard I must work. - No.
-我必须多么努力 -不
How tireless I must be.
我必须多么勤奋
How strong and cold
要多么坚强和冷静
to have the slimmest hope
才能有那么一丝希望
of being taken seriously.
被人正眼相待吗
To be given an ounce of the respect
才能获得你们男人一出生
you receive instantly by virtue of your manhood!
就能得到的一丝尊重
Mileva, please...
米列娃 求你...
I knew this would happen.
我早知道事情会这样
We've got mere weeks until the exams.
离考试只有几个礼拜了
You've made me crazy!
是你让我变疯的
- Mileva, please... - Do not...
-米列娃 求你 -别...
speak to me ever again.
再和我说一句话
If a curved surface is developed
无论在什么表面上
on any other surface whatever,
建立一个曲面
the degree of curvature in each point
每个点的曲度
This "Theorema Egregium" from Gauss
高斯绝妙定理表达高斯曲率的一个定理高斯曲率是曲面的内蕴几何量该定理是高斯方程的直接推论高斯的"绝妙定理"
has had a significant impact on cartography...
对制图学有着巨大的影响高斯绝妙定理表达高斯曲率的一个定理高斯曲率是曲面的内蕴几何量该定理是高斯方程的直接推论
Is there anything that I can do for you?
需要我帮忙吗
My dear Frau Winteler.
亲爱的温特勒夫人
It is with a heavy heart I write
我怀着沉重的心情写信给您
and ask you to share my thoughts and feelings
来告诉您我对令媛玛莉的
with your dearest, Marie.
一些想法和感受
She deserves more attention than I have to give.
我无法给予她足够的关爱
My studies consume all my time and thought.
我的学业占用了我所有的时间和精力
And I fear I have already caused the dear child
而且 恐怕我已经给她带来了
Please make sure she understands.
希望她能理解
I hope she, and you all, can forgive me.
我希望她和你们所有人 都能原谅我
I need your notes. Geometry, the last two terms.
我需要你几何学的笔记 最近两学期的
I was wondering when you would pull your head out
我还在想你什么时候会把脑袋
from between the gimp's thighs.
从那跛脚女的两腿间抽出来
Do not speak of her that way.
不许这么说她
It really has been over with Marie for some time,
我和玛莉之间早就结束了
I didn't want to hurt her,
我不想伤害她
so I... didn't say anything at all.
所以我什么也没说
But it's done now.
但现在一切都结束了
I've made it clear. And...
我已经表明态度了 而且
as unfair as I was to her,
尽管我这么对她很不公平
I've been ten times more so to you. I was...
但我这么对你更是不公平 我...
I've been horrid and selfish
我很可恶 很自私
and you're right to want nothing more to do with me.
你想和我撇清关系也是对的
Those are Marcel's notes.
这些是马塞尔的笔记
The last two terms.
最近两学期的
I copied them for you.
我抄了一份给你
They're yours to keep.
都给你
they will undo some of the damage that I have done.
这样可以弥补一些我对你的伤害
if you would like my help,
如果你想要我的帮助
then I would love nothing more than to give it.
我会非常乐意伸出援手
I ask for nothing in return.
不求回报
It has been a pleasure having all you gentlemen in class.
非常高兴能与各位先生共度一个学年
I wish you the best.
祝你们好运
I wouldn't ask you for anything.
我不会向你索取什么
And what I'm about to say may sound like I am, so...
而我将要说的事 听上去好像我有所企图
This is just an offer.
这只是个提议
In life, in love,
一起生活 相亲相爱
in endless scientific pursuit.
一起追寻无止境的科学真理
Let's build a beautiful bohemian existence together.
让我们共塑一个不受世俗束缚的美好生活吧
I don't know what that means.
我不知道那是什么意思
It was... it was perfect.
很完美
But it can't stay that way.
但不可能永远那样
You and I, alone, together, we fit,
你和我 单独在一起 没问题
like pencils in the box.
就像笔盒里的铅笔
But out in the world, it's nothing but endless...
但在外面的世界 我们会遇到各种
possibilities for us to crash into things. Irreversibly.
不确定的随机事件 都是不可逆的
People are not molecules, Mileva.
人又不是分子 米列娃
Please... when I'm not with you,
求你了 没你有在身边
I feel as if I'm not whole.
我感觉自己是不完整的
Let's remain students as long as we live.
让我们永远保持着学生身份
Alone. Together.
只有我们俩 一起
- Congratulations. - Sir?
-恭喜 -先生
The results will be posted shortly,
成绩马上会公布
but you passed your exams.
你通过了考试
By the skin of your teeth, of course.
当然了 只是勉强通过
So wonderful to see you.
见到你真好
- I've missed you, too. - Did you?
-我也想你 -是吗
Your mother and I were beginning to worry you'd never come home.
我和你母亲还担心你是否永远不回来了
In all your letters, you never explained
你在信里都没说过
what has kept you these months.
你这几个月都在干什么
I'm so sorry, Papa.
抱歉 爸爸
Was this why you stayed away?
这就是你不回来的原因吗
- I don't know how to... - Mileva Maric,
-我不知道该如何... -米列娃·马里奇
come here this instant.
快过来
I'm so sorry, Papa.
抱歉 爸爸