Previously on Genius...
《天才》前情提要
I need help, someone to work alongside me.
我需要帮助 找人和我一起工作
Do you have someone particular in mind?
你心里有合适的人选了吗
Time is not absolute.
时间不是绝对的
I've devised my own principle of relativity.
所以我设想了自己的相对论
It's the redefinition of the universe.
这重新定义了宇宙
This is what we've been chasing.
就是我们一直在追逐的
You thanked Michele.
你感谢米凯勒
Of course I thanked him.
当然要感谢他
But I've helped you with so many papers,
但是我帮你写了这么多论文
but you never thought to put my name in any of them.
但是你从未想过也让我的名字出现在论文里
It never occurred to me.
我是没想到
You are to be awarded
他们要授予你
the 1903 Nobel Prize in Physics.
1903年诺贝尔物理学奖
Please inform the Nobel committee
请告诉诺贝尔委员会
that I will not accept the prize
如果他们不让我妻子和我一起获奖
if they do not honor my wife alongside me.
我是不会接受的
This patent clerk in Bern.
比如说伯尔尼的这个专利员
He has cited us both in his paper on...
他在一篇论文中引用了我们俩
Light quanta, yes, indeed. You see?
光量子 没错 瞧
It's fascinating what one can deduce
人们仅从一个人的名字
about a man just by knowing his name.
就能做出的推断真让人咂舌
I'm here at the behest of Professor Max Planck.
我受麦克斯·普朗克教授之邀前来
The father of Prussian physics?
普鲁士物理学之父吗
- Tell me, are you working on anything else? - Yes.
-你有其他的研究吗 -其实有
Herr Einstein, it's... genius.
爱因斯坦先生 这...太天才了
My name is Dr. Carl Jung.
我是卡尔·荣格医生
I'm a friend of your father's.
是你父亲的朋友
Can you tell me why you wanted to hurt yourself, Eduard?
你能告诉我为什么要伤害自己吗 爱德华
Don't cry, little one.
别哭 小家伙二十二年前 苏黎世 瑞士
When I come home, I'll play you some Mozart.
等我回来给你拉莫扎特
Maybe someday you'll be a beautiful violinist like your papa.
可能有朝一日你会是跟爸爸一样好的小提琴手
Practice your piano, Albertli.
练习钢琴 小爱
Later we'll play that nice minuet
晚点我们会演奏你为爱德华
you've been learning for baby Eduard.
准备的小步舞曲
He doesn't sound good at all.
他听起来不太好
I can stay if you need me, Miza.
如果你需要我可以留下 米扎
You're just nervous about your lecture.
你只是对上课有点紧张
I suppose I can't be any more boring
我想我总不会比又胖又老的
than fat, old Professor Pernet.
佩内特教授更加无聊吧
You'll do fine, Albert.
你会做得很好 阿尔伯特
You've waited a long time for this professorship.
你等这教授一职已经太久了
Newton's, uh, second law, uh, acceleration
牛顿的 第二定律 加速度
in response to any force is, um...
与任何力的关系是...
Actually, let's-let's start with his, uh,
不如让我们从他的
principle of-of gravity.
引力定律开始
A-A force directly proportional to the product of two masses
这种力正比于两物体质量的乘积
and inversely proportional...
并且反比于...
You all seem a bit restless.
你们看起来都焦躁不安
Who'd like to join me for a walk?
谁愿意跟我出去走走
Why are we walking, Herr Professor?
为什么我们在散步 教授先生
Because I'm a terrible lecturer,
因为我是个糟糕的授课者
but I'm not a bad talker.
但不是个不会说话的人
You must have questions.
你们一定有疑问
Physics tries to explain the entire universe.
物理学试着解释整个宇宙
Who doesn't have questions about that?
谁对此没有疑问呢
Who can tell me why it's blue?
谁能告诉我为什么是蓝色的
Something to do with scattering of light?
跟光的散射有关吗
That's what the books tell you.
那是书上写的
But what makes the light scatter?
但是是什么东西让光散射了呢
Believe it or not, nobody knows.
无论你信不信 没人知道
Maybe we can work it out together.
或许我们可以一起解决
It's not consumption, is it?
不是肺痨吧 是吗
- Just a slight croup. - Are you sure?
-只是一点哮吼 -你确定吗
I can't lose another child. I-I couldn't bear it.
我不能再失去一个孩子了 我无法承受
Frankly, I'm more concerned about your hysteria
老实说 比起这孩子的咳嗽
than the child's cough.
我更担心你的癔症
I'm not hysterical. I'm tired.
我没有疯 我只是累了
Your emotional reactions are disproportionate.
你的情绪反应失衡
Do you think it's easy looking after two children and a husband?
你以为照顾两个孩子和丈夫是很容易的事情吗
are you having relations with your husband?
你和你丈夫有发生关系吗
It is a medical fact:
这是医学事实
a woman's organs do not function properly
女人的内脏不会很好的运转
if she's not meeting her husband's needs.
如果她无法满足丈夫的需求
And so Mach's principle throws doubt
于是马赫原理对牛顿
on Newton's explanation for the spinning bucket of water.
旋转水桶的解释产生了质疑
So does your theory, Professor.
您的理论也是如此 教授
You know my work?
你了解我的论文
I've read special relativity a dozen times,
狭义相对论我读了十几遍
but I have a question.
但是我有一个问题
Just one? I've got hundreds myself.
才一个 我自己都有好几百个
Special relativity only applies to constant speeds.
狭义相对论只适用于恒定速度
What about acceleration?
那么加速度呢
That's a question I've been struggling with for years,
这是我多年来一直研究的问题
but, unfortunately, I'm late for an appointment.
但是 不巧 我约会要迟到了
You look handsome tonight, Babu.
你今晚真帅 亲爱的
It's okay, the children are asleep.
没关系的 孩子都睡了
Please, get dressed. We're going to be late.
拜托 去换衣服 我们要迟到了
The last thing I want to do is paint on a smile
我最不想做的事就是挤出微笑
and chatter about the weather with strangers.
跟陌生人闲扯天气
We hardly ever have any time for ourselves anymore.
我们几乎都没有属于我们自己的时间
Please, Miza, you look very beautiful,
米扎 你看起来特别漂亮
but this invitation is an honor.
但是这个邀请是个荣誉
Perhaps you should go without me.
或许你应该自己去
No, thank you, Dr. Jung.
不 谢谢 荣格教授
It makes my thoughts fuzzy.
那会让我的思维混乱
you like to be in control.
您喜欢一切尽在掌控
This is my laboratory, after all.
毕竟这是我是实验室
And this, this is mine.
这个 这是我的
It's a pity your wife isn't well, but I'm glad you're here.
很遗憾您妻子身体不适 但是很高兴您能来
I've been wanting to discuss your paper:
我一直想请教一下您的论文
"Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies."
《运动物体的电动力学》
I believe your colleagues refer to it as,
我相信您的同事把它称为
uh, special relativity.
狭义相对论
Have I said something to upset you?
我说什么让您不高兴的了吗
Honestly, I-I wish I could just move beyond the damn theory.
说实话 我希望自己能超越这该死的理论
It makes me feel like a, like a charlatan.
这让我觉得自己像个江湖骗子
It's, uh, it's groundbreaking.
这是开拓性的
Perhaps, but it only covers a specialized circumstance.
可能吧 但它只覆盖了特定范围
Speed's not always constant.
速度并不是恒定的
The world is spinning. That's a form of acceleration.
世界在转动 这是加速度的一种
The theory disregards that entirely
理论并没有完全摒弃
and it says nothing at all about gravity.
而且并没有提到重力
The theory is still incomplete. I'm stalled.
理论还不完整 我被困住了
And to make matters worse, I've been asked to lecture on it
更糟糕的是 我受邀在萨尔斯堡的
at a conference in Salzburg.
一个会议上讲这个理论
I'm thinking about saying no.
我在考虑拒绝掉
Oh. I imagine you'd disappoint a lot of people.
我能想象这会让许多人失望
I despise lecturing; it-it unnerves me.
我讨厌演讲 那会让我焦虑
I can't believe I prattled on like that.
我简直不敢相信我对此喋喋不休
I can have that effect on people.
我能对人产生影响
With my patients, I've found
通过我的患者
whatever's troubling them on the surface,
我发现不论表面上多困惑
fear of speaking, for example,
比如惧怕讲话
there's something much more fascinating
潜意识里总潜藏着
lurking in the unconscious.
更引人入胜的东西
With respect, Doctor, I'd rather not be analyzed.
无意冒犯 医生 但是我不喜欢被分析
I'd prefer to remain in the dark.
我还是喜欢待在黑暗里
I invited you here for a chat, not analysis.
我邀请您来聊天的 不是分析的
But may I offer a friendly piece of advice?
但是我能友好地提个建议吗
How can I refuse?
这我怎么好拒绝呢
A man can't avoid his fears.
人是无法避免自身的恐惧的
he must face them, pass through the inferno.
他必须穿过地狱直面恐惧
Good afternoon, Professor.
教授下午好
Are you feeling all right?
你没事吧
Professor Planck, Professor Minkowski, I...
普朗克教授 闵可夫斯基教授 我
Spit it out, Einstein.
说吧 爱因斯坦
This is no time to be tongue-tied.
没时间口吃了
You're this afternoon's headliner, after all.
毕竟您是今天下午的焦点
Frankly, I never imagined
说实话 我从未想象到
a student I once called a lazy dog
一个曾经被我叫做懒蛋的学生
would produce something as beautiful as special relativity.
能够创造出像狭义相对论这么绝妙的理论
Indeed. Our colleagues have been anticipating
确实 我们同事们已经期待你的讲座
your lecture for weeks.
好几个星期了
Your theory is all we talk about.
我们谈论的都是你的理论
I know what you are all expecting to hear, but...
我知道你们都想听什么 但是
today, I would like to talk to you
今天 我想跟大家讲一讲
about something other than relativity.
相对论之外的事情
According to the prevailing theory, an oscillating...
根据当下盛行的理论 一个振荡的...
...the next stage in the development of theoretical...
在理论方面发展的下一阶段
...and emission theories applies
...微粒说适用于
to the following conjecture.
如下推论
...can only assume energy...
...只能假设能量...
if we accept Professor Planck's constant,
如果我们接受普朗克教授的常数
it means, in short,
简而言之 那就意味着
that much of what we thought we knew about light...
我们所认为的对光的认知
Brilliant, Albert.
你真棒 阿尔伯特
But why on earth didn't you lecture on relativity?
但你究竟为什么不讲相对论呢
When I saw you in the front row, sir,
当我看到你坐在前排 先生
I-I... I had an inspiration.
我突发奇想
You see, your work is the foundation...
你的研究是基础
Professor Einstein.
爱因斯坦教授
Do forgive the interruption.
抱歉打扰了
Count Von Sturgkh,
冯·施图尔克伯爵
Minister of Education for the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
奥匈帝国教育部部长
I wanted to inform you that there is a post open
我想告诉你 有个职位空缺
for a Professor of Theoretical Physics
理论物理学教授
at Karl-Ferdinand University in Prague.
在布拉格的卡尔·费迪南德大学
We would be honored to add you to our faculty.
如果您加入我们的队伍 我们将非常荣幸
Well, I'm flattered.
真是受宠若惊
I think you'll find our terms quite generous.
你会发现我们开出的条件非常优厚
Limited teaching duties.
较少的授课任务
Ample time to focus on your own work.
还有充裕的时间来做自己的研究
Well, that doesn't sound too terrible, does it?
听上去不错嘛
One more question.
还有一个问题
They want me to declare a religion.
他们想让我声明宗教信仰
What has that got to do with teaching physics?
这和教物理有什么关系
It's called the Holy Crown for a reason, Albert.
圣冠的名字不是没来由的 阿尔伯特
You must at least pretend to believe in God
你必须至少假装自己相信上帝
if you want them to hire you.
如果你还想要他们招你的话
Perhaps I'm being foolish.
也许是我犯糊涂了
Why would I leave democratic Switzerland to work
我为什么要离开民主瑞士
for a medieval, warmongering monarchy?
而去一个原始好斗的君主国家工作呢
Since when do you care about
你什么时候开始关心
- the stupidities of politics? - I don't.
-政治的愚蠢性了 -我不关心
I care about completing my theory.
我只想完成我的理论
Well, there's your answer.
那你有去向了
You've been complaining about not having time.
你总是在抱怨没时间
Swallow your pride and admit you're a Jew.
收起你的骄傲 承认自己是个犹太人吧
A Jew? Oh, they'll love that.
犹太人 他们会爱死这点的
Professor Einstein,
爱因斯坦教授
Von Sturgkh here tells me
冯·施图尔克告诉我
you're one of the greatest minds in Europe.
你是欧洲最聪明的人之一
He's being too kind, Your Majesty.
他过奖了 陛下
He also tells me you're a Jew.
他还告诉我 你是个犹太人
You understand, we are not like the Prussians.
你要知道 我们不像普鲁士人
Herr Einstein, we have no quarrel with the Jews,
爱因斯坦先生 我们和犹太人没有纠葛
as long as you are God-fearing.
只要你敬畏上帝
I am, Your Majesty.
我敬畏的 陛下
Terrified, actually.
简直畏惧
I'd like to continue our work together,
我想要继续我们的工作苏黎世大学
so why don't you come to Prague with me, Jakob?
要不你和我一起去布拉格 雅各布
Maybe I could get you a position at the University.
或许我能在大学里给你安排个职位
We'd have time to work on accelerated motion.
我们就有时间一起研究加速运动了
Albert, I'm flattered,
阿尔伯特 我很欣慰
but I've received another offer.
但我收到了另一个邀请
No. Assistant to Philipp Lenard.
不 去当菲利普·勒纳的助手
Well, Lenard's a genius. Of course, you must accept.
勒纳是个天才 你当然要接受邀请
Yes, but he's got a bit of a reputation.
是的 但他的名声有点坏
Quite a taskmaster, apparently.
都说他逼得很紧
Honestly, I get a pit in my stomach just thinking about it.
老实说 我想想都有点害怕
I know how you feel.
我明白你的感受
In Salzburg, I was so nervous before my lecture,
在萨尔斯堡的时候 我讲课前很紧张
I thought my heart was going to stop right in the elevator.
我以为我的心脏都要在电梯里停跳了
Actually, I... I imagined something very strange,
事实上 我是想到了一些奇怪的东西
as though the elevator were falling,
仿佛电梯在下坠一样
and I was just floating inside it.
而我漂浮在其中
It was terrifying at first...
一开始感觉很吓人
...but then, suddenly, it was as if, well...
但之后 突然间 就好像
...as if I had no weight at all.
好像我完全失去了重量
Because a falling man does not feel his own weight.
因为一个正在坠落的人感受不到自身重量
the floor, my papers,
地板 我的论文
were all falling at the same rate,
都在以同样的速率下坠
so I couldn't feel the pressure of the floor on my feet.
所以我感受不到地板对我脚的压力
But what if the elevator was rising?
但如果电梯在上升呢
I'd be accelerating in the opposite direction.
我就会向反方向加速
It would produce the opposite effect.
它会产生反作用力
You'd feel the floor.
你就会感受到地板
I'd be glued to it,
我就会像黏在上面一样
But that's gravity.
但那是重力
I should have seen it before.
我早该想到了
It is so simple, so beautiful.
那么简单 那么优雅
Acceleration and gravity are the same thing.
加速度和重力是一回事
This is the idea I've been missing to complete relativity.
这就是我完成相对论所缺少的想法
This may just be one of the happiest thoughts of my life.
这可能是我人生中最让我开心的想法之一了
I know you've been unhappy here,
我知道你在这里不开心
but things will be better in Prague.
但到了布拉格一切都会变好的
Why should I be happy in a new city?
为什么我去新城市就会开心
It will just be more of the same.
伤心只会有增无减
change diapers, buy groceries.
换尿布 买菜
I might as well be a mule tied to a cart.
我还不如做一头拴在车前的骡子
When do I get to use my mind?
我什么时候才能用上我的大脑
Miza, you've had dark moods since you were a child.
米扎 你从小就经历过坏心情
This is not a mood, Mama!
这不是一种心情 妈妈
You should count your blessings.
你应该想想你多有福气
There was a time I thought you would
有段时间我还以为
never have a man at all.
根本不会有男人要你
Maybe I would have been better off without one.
可能没有男人我还会好过一些
How can you say that?
你怎么可以这么说
What about your children?
你的孩子怎么办
Don't listen to Mama, Eduard.
别听妈妈胡说八道 爱德华
Sometimes Mama gets sad.
有时候妈妈会伤心
People don't try to kill themselves for no reason, Eduard.
人们不会无缘无故自杀 爱德华
You must be in despair about something.
你一定是对什么事感到绝望
Trouble with a woman,
和女人的纠缠
or a disappointment at school.
或在学校被冷落
Do you-do you mind if I smoke?
你介意我抽烟吗
It reminds me of my father.
这会让我想起我的父亲
When was the last time you saw your father?
你最近一次见到你父亲是什么时候
That must be, uh, difficult.
这一定对你来说很艰难
No, it's not hard at all.
不 一点都不难
Prague's a caste system.
布拉格有阶级体系
Germans on top, Jews in the middle
德国人在上层 犹太人在中层
and the poor Czechs beneath them both.
可怜的捷克人在底层
Why does anyone put up with it?
为什么大家都能受得了
It has one advantage.
它有一个好处
They say that suffering is necessary for art.
据说做艺术一定要受苦
Ah, so you're an artist.
所以你是个艺术家
I could claim to be a writer,
我可以自称是作家
I work in a civil service office.
我做着公务员的工作
It's killing my soul.
这让我的灵魂倍受煎熬
I worked as a clerk for many years.
我做过许多年的职员
Did it make you feel like a cockroach?
有没有让你觉得自己像一只蟑螂
What an interesting metaphor.
这比喻真有意思
Professor, I see you've met Herr Kafka.
教授 看来你见过卡夫卡先生了
Franz is too shy to tell you,
弗兰兹不好意思告诉你
but he's published some short stories.
但他已经出版了几篇短篇小说
They are quite modern.
文章十分现代
I think intellect is the most fascinating part of a man.
我认为男人最有魅力的就是智慧
I find Czech an interesting language.
我发现捷克语是一种很有趣的语言
Slavonic, but without the Cyrillic alphabet.
属于斯拉夫语系 但又没有西里尔字母
It must be so intimidating being married to a genius.
嫁给一个天才一定很可怕吧
I'd always be afraid to say something stupid.
我一直都很怕会讲出傻话来
He's the one who's always being foolish.
他才是经常犯傻的那个
Albert, I've got a headache. Take me home.
阿尔伯特 我头疼 带我回家
If it's not your hip, it's your head.
不是屁股 就是头
When was the last time you actually enjoyed yourself?
你上一次真正玩得开心是什么时候了
It's not my fault everyone in this city is rude.
这个城市的每个人都如此粗鲁不是我的错
You spent the night scowling
你一整晚都闷闷不乐
like a scolded child.
像个被骂了的孩子
We don't know anyone in this city.
我们在这座城市谁都不认识
I thought you'd want to meet people.
我以为你想认识些人
Then why didn't you introduce me to anyone?
那你为什么不把我介绍给谁认识呢
It's bad enough I'm invisible to everyone else,
我被其他所有人忽略已经够糟的了
then you ignore me, too.
然后还要被你忽略
- I was simply talking with other people. - Yes.
-我只是在和别人聊天 -是啊
You had plenty to say to that chesty brunette.
你和那个大胸黑发女相谈甚欢啊
Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time
别担心 布鲁塞尔的重要会议上
without me at your very important conference in Brussels.
没有我你一定会玩得很开心
I'm surprised you're not attending the Solvay Conference,
很惊讶您不去参加索维尔会议
I'm far too busy to take time away
我太忙了 抽不出空
for a trip to Brussels.
去布鲁塞尔德国 海德堡1911年
I'm sure your colleagues will miss you.
你的同僚们一定会想您的
Schinz, this is Laub.
申茨 这位是劳布
He's going to be working with us.
他会和我们一起工作
Show him the equipment, explain our procedures.
带他看看设备 解释一下我们的流程
Yes, Herr Professor.
好的 教授
You shouldn't have asked him about Solvay.
你不应该问他索维尔的事
He wasn't invited.
他没有收到邀请
My God, how could I be so stupid?
我的天 我怎么这么蠢
Now, you must tell me about Einstein.
你一定要和我说说爱因斯坦
Is he as brilliant as everyone says?
他真像其他人说的那么聪明吗
You are not a true gentleman, sir.
你可不是个真君子 先生
And you are not a true blonde, madam.
你也不是个真淑女 女士
索尔维会议布鲁塞尔 1911年你也不是个真淑女 女士
I must remember that one, Sommerfeld.
我必须记住这一点 佐默费尔德
Isn't that Madame Curie?
那是居里夫人吗
What gave her away, the dress?
你怎么判断的 裙子
Why isn't anyone talking to her?
为什么没人和她说话
She's been cavorting around Paris with a married man.
她和一个已婚男人在巴黎四处游玩
Why is that anyone's business?
那关别人什么事
It's been splashed
这几天法国报纸都
across the French papers for days.
拿这事大做文章
It's a terrible disgrace to her late husband.
对她已故的丈夫来说可是奇耻大辱
she should be asked to leave the conference.
她该被要求离场
I'm Albert Einstein.
我是阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦
I've heard some gossip about you.
我听说了一些关于你的传言
I'm sure you have.
你肯定听说了
that you're going to win another Nobel Prize.
你将获得另一项诺贝尔奖
Don't worry about them.
别为他们而烦心
Their jokes are worse than their manners.
他们的玩笑话比他们的举止更糟糕
Then you'll fit right in, Herr Einstein.
你会适应的 爱因斯坦先生
People floating weightless,
人们无重力地漂浮
elevators flying through space.
电梯在空间飞行
You have the imagination of a poet, not a scientist.
你拥有诗人般的想象力 可不像科学家
You wouldn't think so if you read my poetry.
如果你读了我的诗就不会这么想了
Let's assume you are right about acceleration and gravity.
假设你对加速度和重力的判断是正确的
You had better prepare yourself for tremendous resistance
你最好准备好应对来自同行的
from our colleagues.
巨大阻力
You'll be murdering one of their sacred cows.
你这无疑是摧毁了他们心中神圣的信念
Sooner or later, they'll realize that I'm right.
迟不早晚 他们会意识到我是对的
Only if you can prove it.
除非你能证明
I'd imagine the mathematics must be very complex.
我想用数学证明的过程应该很复杂
If I was back in Zurich,
如果我还在苏黎世
I'd have my friend Grossmann to help me.
我朋友格罗斯曼还能帮我
But in Prague, my colleagues are all absolutely useless.
但是在布拉格 我的同事都毫无用处
When Pierre was alive,
皮埃尔在世时
we had the luxury of always being there to help each other.
我们有幸能够一直互相帮助
I once had that with my wife.
我和我妻子曾经也是
Ah, she's also a scientist.
她也是位科学家
She studied physics, yes.
是的 她研究过物理
I think, of all the mysteries in the universe,
我认为 对我来说 宇宙的所有奥秘中
people are the hardest for me to fathom.
人是最难理解的
But my wife is really quite brilliant.
但是我妻子真的异常聪慧
Have you been with someone in Brussels?
你和谁去布鲁塞尔了吗
What... what, what do you mean?
你 这是什么意思
Did she meet you there?
她在那和你见面了吗
This is from that silly girl I met at that party.
这是我在聚会上遇见的傻姑娘写的
Why is she writing to you in such a trifling way?
她为什么用如此卑微的口吻写信给你
You can't possibly be jealous, Miza.
这不值得你嫉妒 米扎
Have you been intimate with her?
你和她上床了吗
Intimate? I, I have never been unfaithful to you.
上床 我从没对你不忠
You certainly don't seem interested in me anymore.
因为你显然不再对我感兴趣了
Actually, you know what, Mileva?
实际上 知道吗 米列娃
I was with a woman in Brussels.
我是在布鲁塞尔见过一个女人
It was your heroine, Marie Curie.
是你的女英雄 居里夫人
I spent hours talking to her,
我和她畅谈了数小时
told her all about you.
和她讲了你的一切
She even said she'd want to meet you one day.
她甚至说希望将来能见见你
But if she knew what a suspicious, jealous creature
但是如果她知道你实际上是如此的多疑
Prague is even more beautiful than people say.
布拉格比人们形容的美多了
Prague is a like pretty girl with a cold heart.
布拉格就像一个内心冷漠的美丽姑娘
None of my colleagues are of any use to me.
没有一个同事能帮到我
I've asked Grossmann to see
我已经让格罗斯曼帮我看看
if he can help me get a position
能否在苏黎世联邦理工学院
at Zurich Polytechnic.
找个职位
Does Mileva want to move again so soon?
米列娃能接受这么快就搬家吗
She hates it here.
她讨厌这地方
But then, I don't think she'd be happy anywhere.
但我觉得 她在哪都不会开心
Forget about gloomy topics.
别提这些破事了
What did you think of my elevator thought experiment?
你觉得我的电梯假想实验怎么样
Mm. I'm still up in the air about it.
我还不太确定
I've realized another wonderful consequence of my idea.
我意识到我的想法得到了另一个奇妙的结果
Gravity bends light.
重力使光扭曲
That is a completely new conception, Albert.
这是个全新的概念 阿尔伯特
But even if you're right,
就算你是对的
you'd need a huge gravitational force to show it.
你得用一个巨大的引力才能证明它
The sun would do, wouldn't it?
太阳的引力够大吧
Imagine that log is a particle of light.
想象原木是一个光粒子
Now think of the river as space.
把河看作是空间
And you see the barge, there?
看到那的游船了吗
The sun's gravity changes the shape of space.
太阳的引力改变了空间的形状
I will credit you for originality, Albert.
我相信你的创造力 阿尔伯特
But is it possible that you've gone a bit too far?
但是这会不会太异想天开了
No. It's so beautiful that it must be right.
才不会 这理论非常绝妙 肯定没错的
And an astronomer could prove it.
天文学家可以证明这个理论
Then I suppose you'd better find a good astronomer.
那你得去找一位够厉害的天文学家才行
I do know some astronomers at the University,
我的确认识学校里的几位天文学家
but frankly, I'm reluctant to make an introduction.
但坦白说 我不太想介绍你们认识
普鲁士科学院柏林 1912年但坦白说 我不太想介绍你们认识
To be blunt, I don't know
说白了就是我不清楚
if it's in your best interest.
你对这方面是否真的感兴趣
How is it not in my interest to prove my theory?
我对证明我的理论怎么会不感兴趣呢
It's an outlandish idea,
这个想法非常稀奇
and you might very well be proven wrong.
你也很可能会被证明是错的
But e-even if I were, so what?
就算错了 那又怎样
Scientists must take risks.
科学家就要冒点风险
Otherwise we'd never make any advancements.
不然我们永远也无法进步
You've established a strong reputation for yourself.
你已经为自己树立了极高的声誉
You should tread carefully.
你要小心行事才是啊
It's not hard to go from genius to laughingstock.
天才和笑柄只有一线之隔
I'm staying with my aunt and uncle
在柏林的时候
while I'm in Berlin.
我和我的叔叔阿姨一起住
You can reach me there.
你可以到那找我
And then Albert hit her in the head with a shovel.
阿尔伯特用铁铲打了她的头
I didn't... I didn't really.
我其实...其实没打下去
You most certainly did... twice.
你打了 还打了两次
you must try some of cousin Elsa's famous goose cracklings.
你一定要尝尝爱尔莎表姐的拿手菜炸鹅皮
Who would have imagined such a little troublemaker
谁能想到这小捣蛋鬼
would grow up to be a great scientist?
日后会成为这么伟大的科学家
Now if only someone would teach him what to do with a hairbrush.
现在但愿有人会教他用梳子
Poor Albert, he's been so miserable in Prague.
可怜的阿尔伯特 他在布拉格过得太惨了
But he's got a prestigious position there, doesn't he?
但他在那边的职位享有厚望 不是吗
He'd never admit it, but he regrets the day he married her.
他从未承认过 但结婚后他就后悔了
It's so nice to have you in town, Albert.
很高兴你回来了 阿尔伯特
The last time I saw you,
上次见你的时候
you must have been the same age as my girls.
你和我女儿一般年纪
We always had fun together.
我们一直玩得很好
Ah, you liked my sister better than me.
你比我更喜欢我的妹妹
Well, she was nicer to me than you were.
她对我比你对我好多了
Ugh. Take off your sweater.
脱了你的毛衣吧
You look like a tramp.
穿着像个乞丐
Come, give it to me.
快 脱了给我
I'll mend it for you.
我来给你缝好
Can you tell me why you're so angry at your father?
能和我说说你为什么这么生你父亲的气吗
I thought you wanted to know why I tried to jump out the window.
我以为你更想知道我试图跳窗的原因
Yes. If you're ready to tell me.
当然 如果你想告诉我的话
It's not because I'm in despair.
并非因为绝望
It's because I'm crazy.
是因为我是个疯子
And what do you mean by "crazy"?
"疯子"是什么意思
Mad, schizoid. It runs in my family.
疯狂 有分裂人格 这是家族遗传
My mother's sister was locked up in this very same hospital.
我的姨妈也住这间医院
So you see, I wasn't trying to kill myself.
正如你所见 我并非想要自杀
I was having a delusion.
我是产生了错觉
I thought I was on fire.
我以为自己身上着火了
Guess why it's blue.
猜猜看为什么天是蓝的
Because it's lonely?
因为寂寞吗blue也有抑郁沮丧之意
Very clever, but no.
这答案很巧妙 但不对
The air forms billions of tiny pockets
空气中有无数微粒
that scatter the light from the sun.
可以使太阳光发生散射
The blue light scatters more than the other wavelengths,
相比其他波长的光 蓝光更容易被散射
and that's why you see the blue.
所以你看到了蓝色
But I can appreciate a blue sky
但尽管我不懂物理
without knowing anything about physics.
我也可以欣赏美丽的蓝天啊
Why would you need to know anything about physics?
为什么你还要深入学习物理呢
You're a sparkling conversationalist,
你如此健谈
a talented seamstress.
针线活还这么好
Tell me about your wife.
和我说说你妻子吧
She went to school with you?
她和你一起上学吗
Yes. She wanted to be a scientist.
是啊 她想成为科学家
Oh. Is she like you?
她喜欢你吗
Always thinking about big ideas?
总是有奇思妙想
Never remembering to take care of little things?
却不记得打理好日常小事吗
I have a friend, a psychiatrist,
我有个朋友是精神病医生
who thinks that husbands and wives' psyches
他认为夫妻间的精神世界
must be in balance.
必须处于平衡状态
Mileva and I certainly are not.
而米列娃和我显然没有
You seem discontent.
你看起来很不满啊
Mileva's unhappy all the time.
米列娃总是不开心
It makes life at home unbearable.
这使我难以忍受家庭生活
So I find reasons to stay away.
所以我总是找借口离家
But then I miss my children.
但我又很想我的孩子
That must be very difficult for you.
你肯定很难受吧
and I speak from experience,
就我个人经验来看
not every marriage is meant to last forever.
并非每段婚姻都能天长地久
You deserve to be happy, Albert.
你有权享受幸福 阿尔伯特
I thought you might get hungry
我觉得你在回家的途中
on the journey home. I made you some butter cookies.
应该会饿 我给你做了些黄油饼干
Wherever did you get a rose at this time of year?
在这个时节 你从哪里找到玫瑰的
I've got connections all over the city.
我在整个城市都有人脉
Especially for lovely things like greenhouse flowers.
尤其像温室花卉这样美丽的东西
Speaking of connections, did I ever mention that I'm acquainted
说到人脉 我有提过我认识
with Fritz Haber, at the Prussian Academy?
普鲁士学院的弗里茨·哈伯吗
The man who pulled nitrogen out of thin air.
从空气中发现氮的人
I could say something to him.
我可以请他帮忙
The Academy would be the perfect place for you to do your work.
学院是最适合你进行研究的地方
I can't move to Berlin, Elsa.
我不能搬去柏林 爱尔莎
You know I couldn't wait to get out of Germany when I was a boy.
我从小就很想离开德国
If I came back, it would only be because I want to be with you.
如果我回去 只可能是因为我想跟你在一起
Is that so terrible?
有这么糟糕吗
I'd... I'd very much like to...
我 我非常愿意
to be something to you, Elsa,
跟你在一起 爱尔莎
but there are other people to consider.
但还要考虑其他人
Mileva, of course, but most importantly,
当然要考虑米列娃 但最重要的
your daughters, and my sons.
还要考虑你女儿跟我儿子
Fire represents deep parts of the unconscious.
火代表潜意识的深层部分
It's an archetype of transformation.
这是一种转换的原型
I have a number of patients who...
我有好几位病患
Save your archetypal nonsense for your paying patients.
去跟你的病患说这些废话吧
My neuroses have nothing to do
我的神经官能症跟
with your, your outlandish theories,
你所谓的集体潜意识
about the collective unconscious.
古怪理论根本无关
I'm studying psychiatry.
我在研究心理学
And I can tell you,
我可以告诉你
my neuroses are obviously Freudian.
我的神经官能症显然是属于弗洛伊德学说
Freudian in what sense?
哪方面的弗洛伊德学说
They're all about my father.
全都跟我父亲有关
I don't see how a delusion about fire connects with your father.
产生火的幻觉跟你父亲有什么关连
Quite simple, really.
其实很简单
When I was a child, he nearly burned me to death.
我小时候 他差点把我烧死
One night, he was so distracted
有天晚上 他沉迷于
by some scientific thought or another,
某些科学理念什么的
that he dropped his pipe and set fire to his bedroom.
结果他的烟斗掉下来 他卧室着火了
Your memory is quite vivid.
你记得很清楚
How could I forget something like that?
我怎么可能忘记这种事
You were just a baby.
你当时还很小
It's quite young to remember so much.
那么小就记得这么多很罕见
Everyone in my family knows the story.
我家人都知道这件事
My father never should have had children.
我父亲根本不该有孩子
If it wasn't for my mother,
如果没有我母亲
God knows what would have become of us.
天知道我们会变成什么样
Your father is a human being.
你父亲是个人
Human beings make mistakes.
人都会犯错
You study the psyche, Eduard.
你有研究心理学 爱德华
Be your own doctor.
诊断下自己
What would you tell yourself?
你会对自己说什么
when one's father is a great and heartless man,
一个人的父亲是个伟大又无情的人时
it can make one feel...
会让那个人感觉
You have made your father into a kind of
你把自己的父亲塑造成一种
But are you really sure you're right?
但你真的确定自己是对的吗
You let the children get hold of matches?
你居然让孩子们玩火柴
How could you be so careless?
你怎么能这么粗心
So sorry. I-I don't know
对不起 我不知道
what's wrong with me lately.
我最近怎么了
I don't know what's wrong with me.
我不知道我怎么了
I'm sorry... I'm sorry.
对不起 对不起
It's all right, Eduard.
没事了 爱德华
Everything's gonna be all right.
一切都会没事的
I know you're unhappy here, Miza.
我知道你在这里不快乐 米扎
I got a letter from Marie Curie yesterday.
我昨天收到玛丽·居里的信
She's invited us to take a holiday with her in the Alps.
她邀请我们一起去阿尔卑斯山度假
I think it will do us some good to get away, hmm?
放松下心情或许对我们都有好处
I've read all your papers.
你的论文我都读过
They're a bit dry, aren't they?
挺枯燥的 对吧
I'm fascinated by the idea
我很欣赏你认为
that radium is in a perpetual process of decay.
镭是一种不断衰变的元素
Do you think Rutherford's theory of sub-atoms
你认为卢瑟福的亚原子理论及
and disintegration is accurate?
衰变理论是正确的吗
I don't know about Rutherford, but I can see
我不确定卢瑟福是否正确
that you are just as brilliant as your husband said you are.
但我看得出来你就跟你丈夫说的一样优秀
It seems foolish now,
现在听起来很蠢
but once I dreamed I might win a Nobel Prize, too.
但我曾梦想我也能赢得一座诺贝尔奖
But then, life and... children.
不过后来要操心生活和孩子
How did you do it all?
你是怎么两者兼顾的
My children hardly saw me.
我的孩子很少见到我
Now, I'm afraid they hate me.
现在他们恐怕很讨厌我
You are very lucky, Mileva.
你非常幸运 米列娃
Your children obviously adore you.
你的孩子们非常爱你
My husband doesn't.
我丈夫不爱我
Mileva's got a wonderful mind.
米列娃非常聪明
I can see why you were drawn to her.
我明白你为什么会被她吸引
That feels like eons ago.
这就好像是上辈子的事了
Love is a chemical reaction.
爱情是化学反应
Sometimes, it burns itself out.
有时候 它会自燃
I miss what Mileva and I had.
我怀念米列娃和我曾经的感情
Don't you sometimes think that,
有时候你会不会想
well, life isn't worth living without someone to love.
如果没有所爱之人 生活便毫无意义
Perhaps you'll find someone else.
也许你会找到别的人
Mileva's so fragile.
米列娃非常脆弱
I couldn't bear to hurt my children.
我不忍心伤害我的孩子们
I tell you something, Albert,
我跟你说件事 阿尔伯特
because I think you'll understand.
因为我觉得你会理解
The rumors about my affair with Paul Langevin were true.
关于我与保罗·朗之万有婚外情的传闻是真的
I don't feel any guilt about it; we fell in love.
我不觉得有罪恶感 我们相爱了
So, why should we have to deny our feelings
我们为什么要否认我们的感情
just because of an old-fashioned social contract?
就因为传统的社会约束吗
You and I don't accept all the rules and conventions of science.
我们俩连科学的规则和传统都不完全认同
So, why must we accept traditional marriage?
那么 为什么我们必须接受传统的婚姻呢
The houses held onto each other
那晚 宅邸之间紧紧
And I kissed the moon and cried.
我亲吻了月亮 泪水涟涟
That was "Longing" by Henriette Hardenberg.
出自亨瑞特·哈登堡的《渴望》
Professor Haber, I'm so glad you could be here.
哈伯教授 真高兴你来了
You were quite charming.
你真迷人
Have I ever mentioned that my cousin is Albert Einstein?
我有没有提过阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦是我表兄
He's making quite a name for himself.
他可真是声名鹊起
In Prague now, I believe.
现在应该在布拉格吧
Actually, he's moved back to Zurich.
其实他已经搬回苏黎世了
But I think he's rather restless there.
不过我想他在那里更忙碌
A mind like his, I'm sure he'd prefer
聪明如他 他一定更喜欢
a more stimulating scientific community.
激励人心的科学社团
What is this fascination with Einstein?
爱因斯坦有什么好的
What do his so-called "Thought experiments" even mean?
他那所谓的"思维实验"是什么意思
Where are these trains and lightning bolts he writes about?
他的这些火车和闪电又是什么
He's the most original thinker in the world right now.
他是目前世上最有创造力的思考者
Just the kind of man we want
正是我们希望学院能有的
- in the Academy. - He's a dreamer,
-那类人 -他是个梦想家
not a rigorous scientist.
不是个严谨的科学家
Hasn't he just taken a post in Zurich?
他不是刚在苏黎世得到了职位吗
but I've been told he'd prefer to do without
不过我听说他不太喜欢
his lecturing obligations.
讲课的工作
Germany needs men like him.
德国需要他这样的人
If I'm not mistaken,
如果我没记错
he renounced his German citizenship many years ago.
多年前他放弃了德国国籍
Perhaps it's best we let the Swiss keep him.
或许最好还是让他留在瑞士
It's good to see you again, Carl.
很高兴再次见到你 卡尔
I was surprised you came back to Zurich so soon.
我没想到你这么快就回苏黎世了
My wife despised Prague. But, uh, more importantly,
我妻子不喜欢布拉格 不过更重要的是
I'm hoping Zurich will be better for my children, healthier.
我觉得苏黎世对我的孩子们更好 更健康
Especially little Eduard. He's... he's a bit sickly.
尤其是小爱德华 他有些病恹恹的
Oh, I'm sorry to hear that.
我很遗憾
But don't misunderstand me.
不过别误解了
He's a remarkable child, amazingly bright.
他是个了不起的孩子 非常聪明
He started talking much sooner than his older brother.
他比他哥哥更早学会说话
And he has a wonderful gift for music.
他在音乐方面很有天赋
Well, he's lucky to have such a proud papa.
他很幸运有个为他骄傲的爸爸
Four francs, a magical number.
四法郎 有魔力的数字
You don't actually believe in magic, do you?
你不是真的相信魔法吧
I am not sure about magic,
有没有魔法我不知道
but I know that four is a very special number.
但我知道 四是非常特别的数字
Indeed, four is fundamental.
的确 四是个基本的数字
There's four elements:
有四大元素
earth, air, fire and water; four poles of the compass;
泥土 空气 火和水 指南针有四个极
and four poles of the psyche:
灵魂有四个极点
thinking, feeling, sensation and intuition.
思考 感受 感知和直觉
And who knows, Albert?
谁知道呢 阿尔伯特
there is even a fourth dimension.
甚至还有第四个维度
So, what's your diagnosis, Doctor?
那么你的诊断是什么 医生
Schizoid with delusions?
精神分裂伴有妄想症吗
I am a friend of the family.
我是你家人的朋友
So, I wanted to come and see you personally,
所以我想私下来看望你
but I think it would be more appropriate
不过我觉得还是让我同事来
if you worked with one of my colleagues.
会更合适
As usual, a visit from an eminent man
通常来讲 名人来看我
has nothing to do with me.
通常跟我本人无关
It's only because of my great and very important father.
都是因为我伟大而重要的父亲
I understand you are...
我理解你
quite an admirer of Freud.
非常崇拜弗洛伊德
That's right. And don't try to tell me he's a charlatan,
没错 别对我说他是个骗子
because I'm quite sure
因为我非常肯定
he's understood the human psyche better than anyone.
他比任何人都了解人类的精神世界
I once thought so, too.
以前我也这么认为
In fact, he was like a father to me.
其实 他对我来说就像是父亲
But I was young then,
但是我那时年轻气盛
my ego got in the way.
被自大蒙蔽了双眼
Now, we haven't spoken for...
我们已经很久很久
I said some terrible things to him,
我对他说了一些很过分的话
and I never had the humility to ask him to forgive me.
而我却从未放下身段祈求过他的原谅
I wonder if he could.
不知道他是否会原谅我
I wonder if I could forgive him.
不知道我是否会原谅他
Imagine what it would be like to be that little spider, Teddy.
想想那只小蜘蛛是什么感觉 泰迪
Going round and round,
绕了一圈又一圈
the world must look very...
世界看起来肯定非常
Someone's here to see you.
有人来找你
Herr Professor, what an unexpected pleasure.
教授先生 真是意外的荣幸啊
What-what brings you to Zurich?
你怎么来苏黎世了
Well, to begin with, I've found you an astronomer.
首先 我给你找到了一位天文学家
Name is Freundlich.
叫弗罗因德利希德国化学家
He's young, but ambitious.
年纪虽轻 但雄心壮志
You must tell me all about him, but first,
那你要和我好好说说 但是首先
take a look at the spider on the record.
你看唱片上的蜘蛛
Agelena labyrinthica, I think.
这是迷宫漏斗蛛吧
So, you know each other?
这么说你们认识
Ask her what's the ratio
问问她 唱片
of the diameter of the record to the circumference.
周长与直径的比是多少
Not to the spider, it isn't.
对蜘蛛来说不是
Because of relativity,
因为相对来说
the circumference is shorter in the direction of rotation.
顺着旋转方向周长更短
I'm not sure I follow.
我没明白
This beautiful little creature has given me the key
这个美丽的小生物给了我
to formulating general relativity.
构想广义相对论的关键
It cannot be done with three-dimensional geometry.
以三维空间几何是做不到的
Dr. Jung made me realize Minkowski was right.
荣格博士令我意识到闵可夫斯基是对的荣格博士瑞士心理学家闵可夫斯基为德国数学家
I need four dimensions.
我需要四维
This is wonderful, don't you see?
简直太棒了 对吧
I hope that you'll think that this is wonderful, too.
希望你会认为这也很棒
The Prussian Academy.
普鲁士科学院
It's an official offer.
正式聘请书
My God. It's good money.
天呐 待遇真不错
But I don't know if I can accept.
但我不知道要不要接受
I thought you'd be thrilled.
我以为你会很激动
It's complicated. Berlin is...
很复杂 柏林...
I'm sorry, I need some time to consider.
抱歉 我需要些时间考虑一下
It wasn't easy for us to get you this offer, Albert.
我们好不容易给你弄到聘请书 阿尔伯特
I can't very well go back to Berlin without an answer.
没有答复 我无法安心地回柏林
Why don't you take a little hike up Mount Kaferberg?
要不你去卡夫伯格山徒步一趟
It's a lovely view of the city. It'll take you two hours.
可以俯瞰城市美景 只要两个小时
I'll meet you at the bottom with my answer.
我会带着答复在山下等你的
Tell-tell me about the fire in Prague.
跟我说说布拉格的那场火灾
That was a long time ago.
那是很久以前的事了
What does it matter now?
为什么现在想知道
I've always thought Papa started it.
我一直以为是爸爸引起的
Eduard, you mustn't upset yourself...
爱德华 你不要因为...
And your father was the one who put the fire out.
灭火的是你父亲
Well, I was having my own bout of melancholy,
我当时犯了忧郁症
just like you are now.
就和你现在一样
And wasn't paying attention
没注意到
and one of you boys got hold of some matches.
你们其中一个人拿着火柴
Why didn't you ever tell me the truth?
你为什么从未把真相告诉我
I needed you to feel safe with me.
我想让你觉得和我在一起很安全
You idolized your father, Eduard.
你崇拜你父亲 爱德华
But he was never there
但他一直不在家
and I could see how painful that was for you.
我知道你很难过
I thought it might be easier
我想如果你不把他
if you didn't see him as some kind of hero.
当作英雄 这样也许会好过些
Tell Papa I want to see him.
和爸爸说我想见他
Where is your father, Eduard?
你父亲在哪呢 爱德华