I'd like to talk to you about something other then relativity.
我想跟大家讲一讲相对论之外的事情
I wish I could just move beyond the damn theory.
我希望自己能超越这该死的理论
This is the idea I had been missing to complete relativity.
这就是我完成相对论所缺少的想法
Acceleration and gravity are the same thing.
加速度和重力是一回事
And an astronomer could prove it.
天文学家可以证明这个理论
I found you an astronomer.
我给你找到了一位天文学家
Name is Freundlich.
叫弗罗因德利希
I will never feel anything but love for you, Mileva.
但我对你的感情永远只有爱 米列娃
You had plenty to say to that chesty brunette.
你和那个大胸黑发女相谈甚欢啊
I have never been unfaithful to you.
我从没对你不忠
Professor Haber, have I ever mentioned
哈伯教授 我有没有提过
that my cousin is Albert Einstein?
阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦是我表兄
Haber? He's legendary.
哈伯 他是个传奇
Mileva makes life at home unbearable.
米列娃使我难以忍受家庭生活
Not every marriage is meant to last forever.
并非每段婚姻都能天长地久
He's just the kind of man we want in the academy.
他正是我们希望学院能有的那类人
Not a rigorous scientist.
不是个严谨的科学家
It's an official offer.
正式聘请书
The Prussian Academy.
普鲁士学院
I don't know if I can accept.
我不知道要不要接受
I can't go to Berlin without an answer.
没有答复 我无法安心地回柏林
I can't move to Berlin, Elsa.
我不能搬去柏林 爱尔莎
There are other people to consider.
还要考虑其他人
Most importantly, my sons.
但最重要的 还要考虑我儿子们
It would only be because I want to be with you.
只可能是因为我想跟你在一起
Is that so terrible?
有这么糟糕吗
Of all the planets and stars
在所有星辰中
there is only one Venus,
只有金星[维纳斯]
named for the goddess of beauty and love.
以"爱与美的女神"来命名
Erwin Freundlich, are you attempting to seduce me?
欧文·弗罗因德利希 你是在引诱我吗
I'm merely pointing out that we are
我只是想指出
in the ideal position to observe Venus.
我们正位于观察金星的理想位置
On Venus day, in fact,
并且今天是金曜日
which was later named Friday,
后来改名为星期五了
in honor of Frigg, the wife of Odin.
为了纪念奥丁的妻子 芙丽嘉
I'm quite certain you didn't bring me all the way
你大老远带我来这里
out here for a lesson in Norse mythology.
肯定不是为了给我讲挪威神话吧
Kate Hirschber, will you do me the honor
凯特·海因斯伯 你愿给我这个荣幸
That is... quite fortunate.
真是太幸运了
Because I have already made arrangements for our honeymoon.
因为我已经安排好了蜜月
How does Zurich sound?
苏黎世怎么样
It's an honor to meet you, Professor Haber.
见到你很荣幸 哈伯教授
Erwin and I are hoping to recruit you
我和欧文希望招募你
as an ally in our mission.
作为我们使命的同盟
You make it sound as though you're going to war.
听起来好像你要上战场了一般
You know the vitriol that's been aimed at me.
你知道外面疯传着中伤我的刻薄话
That tends to happen when you make radical claims
你提出"重力使光扭曲"这种激进主张
such as "Gravity bends light."
这种事就不可避免
You've ruffled quite a few feathers.
你已经得罪了不少人
And we intend to unruffle them.
我们打算安抚他们
By offering up something that the critics can't argue against,
提供一些那些反对者无法争辩的东西
In the form of astronomical photographs.
以天文照片的形式
Consider Mercury, the closest planet to the sun.
水星是距离太阳最近的行星
Unlike the other seven planets,
和另外七颗行星不同
Mercury's orbit doesn't conform to Newtonian laws.
水星的轨道并不符合牛顿学说
Le Verrier proposed that Mercury's path is affected by
勒威耶认为水星的轨道受到了
the pull of a yet undiscovered planet,
一颗尚未发现的行星引力影响
a planet he named Vulcan.
他称之为"伏尔坎"
There is no Vulcan.
根本没有"伏尔坎"
Then how do you explain the anomalous orbit?
那你如何解释轨道异常
Picture, if you will, the vastness of space,
想象一下浩瀚的宇宙
and through it, a framework of invisible lines
遍布着看不见的线框
like wire mesh supporting a pillar of concrete.
就像支撑着混凝土柱的铁丝网
Yet unlike rigid wire,
和硬丝不同的是
this grid work is curved,
这片网格是弯曲的
like fabric around any object of mass.
就像围绕着任何有质量物体的纤维
Which causes Mercury's orbit to change each cycle.
导致水星的轨道每个周期都会变化
I believe that this same effect occurs
我认为 当星光经过太阳时
when starlight passes by the sun.
这种现象会再次出现
But the only way to confirm this theory
但只有在日食时
is during a solar eclipse.
才能证明这个推测
Can you see the smaller stars?
你能看到那些小星星吗
But if we block out the light from the sun,
但如果我们挡住太阳光
you can see them more clearly.
就能看得更清楚
Erwin can photograph the position of stars in the daytime sky,
欧文可以在白天拍摄星星的位置
and we can compare them to their position in the night sky.
我们就可以跟它们在夜晚的位置做比较
The sun's gravity bends starlight.
太阳的引力可以使星光弯曲
Fortunately, for us, just such an eclipse occurs
幸运的是 几个月之后
in a few months' time.
就会发生这样的日食
And the ideal position to photograph
而此次拍摄日全食的理想地点
the fullest point of that eclipse is in Crimea.
就在克里米亚
- Such an expedition would cost. - 6,000 marks, give or take.
-这样的考察开销不小 -六千马克左右
Which surely the illustrious Prussian Academy can afford.
著名的普鲁士科学院是肯定能负担得起
And you expect me to convince them?
你是想让我去说服他们吗
Well, I'll make the proposal, but a few good words
项目我来提议 但是你事前美言几句
from you in advance could help settle the matter.
就能帮助我们解决问题
Albert, your idea, it's astounding.
阿尔伯特 你的想法令人叹服
But I fear the wheels of the academy don't turn as fast
但是我担心学院的运转不会像你聪明的
as your nimble mind.
大脑一样那么灵活
These things take time.
这种事需要时间
We don't have time.
可我们没有时间
There won't be another eclipse for years.
未来好几年都不会有日食了
Well, then, I suppose you'd better come to Berlin
那么 我觉得你最好尽快
as soon as possible.
赶去柏林
I just have to settle a few family matters first.
我先把一些家庭事务安顿好
I suppose I should be cross with Erwin
我估计我会生欧文的气
for not telling me the real reason he wanted to come to Zürich.
因为他没告诉我他想来苏黎世的真正原因
And why didn't he?
他为什么没说呢
I imagine he thought I'd object to his working
他或许认为我会反对他
during our honeymoon.
度蜜月的时候工作
And having a complete stranger foisted upon you as hostess?
还让一个陌生人硬要接待你
If it's an imposition.
让你为难了
No, I'm simply saying it's hardly the honeymoon
不 我只是说这不是新娘
a bride dreams of.
所憧憬的蜜月
It's a small concession, really.
我确实是做了点让步
The price we pay for being married to men with brilliant minds,
这就是我们嫁给头脑聪明的男人
don't you think?
所要付出的代价 你觉得呢
I think you should expect honesty in a husband.
我觉得你还是指望丈夫诚实比较好
Men all have their secrets, don't they?
男人不都有自己的小秘密吗
Are you looking forward to Berlin?
你期待去柏林吗
Why would you say that?
为什么这么说
Erwin mentioned that you were moving there.
欧文告诉我你们要搬过去
Eduard sank our boat in the pond.
爱德华把我们的船沉到池塘里了
Well, then, we need to find a more reliable vessel.
那我们需要再找一条更可靠的船了
Why don't we build a kite?
咱们做风筝吧
Go fetch your coats.
去拿衣服
We'll buy some materials.
我们去买些材料
Why didn't you tell me?
你为什么不告诉我
I d- I didn't want to
我 我不想
worry you before everything was arranged.
在一切还没安排好之前就让你担忧
You didn't even think to consult me?
你都没想过问问我的意见吗
It's the Prussian Academy, Mileva.
那可是普鲁士科学院 米列娃
You know what this means for our future.
你知道这对我们的未来意味着什么
Are you really concerned with our future or yours?
你关心的究竟是我们的未来还是你的未来
We just returned to Zürich.
我们才刚回到苏黎世
Because you were so miserable in Prague,
因为你在布拉格痛苦不堪
but nothing changes.
但是什么都没有变
You're sullen and short with me for reasons
你对我懊恼冷漠
that I don't understand.
我却不能理解为什么
How is it that you can grasp
你能够领会
the most intricate concepts in science,
科学领域里最错综复杂的概念
yet you pretend not to understand me?
却假装不理解我吗
We were to be partners, Albert.
我们本该是搭档 阿尔伯特
We're ready, Papa.
我们准备好了 爸爸
Now I'm not even included in decisions that uproot our children.
现在我连事关孩子迁移的事都不能参与决策了
This is for the best.
这是最好的安排
Pictures alone won't appease my skeptics.
只靠照片无法打消我的疑虑
The theory has to be mathematically solid.
理论必须根基于坚实的数学基础之上
It's not as if we've been sitting around here eating sausages.
这跟我们围坐在这里吃香肠可不一样
Though we have consumed our share of schnitzel.
吃猪排的预算已经花完了
Be serious, Marcel.
认真点 马塞尔
I need proof in hand before Freundlich departs for Crimea.
我得在弗罗因德利希去克里米亚之前找到证据
It's the only way to rally the academy behind me.
只有这样学院才会支持我
Albert, since when are you so concerned with
艾尔伯特 你从什么时候开始在意
the opinions of the overstuffed establishment?
这种草包机构的看法了
You know, my father once told me
我爸曾经告诉我
physics is not a vocation.
物理不是一个职业
For me, it's everything.
对我来说 物理是一切
And general relativity is...
而广义相对论则是
well, it's the most beautiful idea I've ever had.
则是我曾有过的最绝妙的想法
The culmination of all my hours daydreaming as a boy,
我儿时所有白日梦的最高点
all, all the years of study,
这么多年来的研究
of battling those who doubted me.
和质疑我的人做抗争
I want the world to see, finally, what I see
最终 我想让世界看到我所看到的
and marvel at the magnificence of what God has created.
并惊叹于上帝造物的伟大
Well, if you want to make them marvel at the magnificence,
如果你想要让他们惊叹于那些伟大
perhaps you shouldn't rush off to Berlin
也许我们在这里的工作完成之前
before our work here is done.
你不该急着去柏林
Why are you suddenly in such a hurry to return to a country
你为什么要突然急于回到一个
whose citizenship you have renounced?
你已放弃其国籍的国家呢
I counted the hours, Albert.
我度日如年 阿尔伯特
And now, finally, here you are.
现在 你终于来了
You made it all happen, Elsa.
是你促成这一切的 爱尔莎
I wish you could spend the night.
我希望你能在这过夜
It would be so lovely to make you breakfast in the morning.
能在早晨为你准备早餐的话就太美好了
With you, it's all sunshine.
与你一起 便是晴天
At home, a cloud of anger.
在家 只有愤怒的阴霾
Clara Haber has invited the girls and me to dinner
克拉拉·哈勃邀请了姑娘们和我
with your family.
与你全家共进晚餐
Albert, Clara is a keen woman.
阿尔伯特 克拉拉是个敏锐的女人
Refusing her invitation would only arouse suspicion.
拒绝她的邀请只会引起疑虑
And, so, how are you finding Berlin?
你觉得柏林怎么样
To be quite honest, I miss Zürich.
老实说 我怀念苏黎世
But you're originally from Serbia, of course?
但你是来自塞尔维亚的对吧
I'm sure you read in the papers of the Archduke's assassination.
我相信你看到报纸上大公被刺杀的新闻了
They're saying it was at the hands of a Serb,
人们说凶手是个塞尔维亚人
protesting Austria's annexation of Bosnia.
抗议奥地利吞并波斯尼亚
Do you think we'll continue to see anarchy
你觉得斯拉夫国家的无政府状态
in the Slavic territories?
还会持续吗
In my opinion, Dr. Haber, I imagine the Slavic nations
在我看来 哈勃博士 我认为斯拉夫国家
will continue to defend against anyone
会继续反抗那些
who views them as mere "territories" to be acquired.
只想占领他们领土的人的人
Naturally, Mileva would never condone assassination.
米列娃自然是不会宽恕刺杀行为的
And yet I do understand the impulse
但我却理解那种冲动
to protect one's homeland against the aggression of imperialists.
为了保护祖国不受帝国主义的侵犯
You cannot be suggesting that these rebels are justified.
你不是在说这些叛军的行为是合理的吧
Fritz, surely a strong patriotic spirit is a quality
弗里茨 一颗强烈的爱国之心
any good German can appreciate.
是任何德国人都该敬重的
Now, let us speak no more of politics.
我们别聊政治了
I've heard the opera has mounted a new production of Tosca.
我听说剧院排练了一版新的《托斯卡》
Mileva, do you enjoy Puccini?
米列娃 你喜欢普契尼的歌剧吗
For making me feel welcome.
谢你让我觉得我是受欢迎的
Albert's mother has always been so critical of me.
阿尔伯特的母亲总是在挑剔我
I fretted for days about meeting more of the family.
要见他其他的家人使我焦虑了好几天
Oh, well, you must put your fears to rest.
你不必惊慌
It means a great deal to me.
这对我来说意义重大
Herr Freundlich's expedition will travel through
弗罗因德利希先生的探险队
Austria, crossing into Russia,
从奥地利 经过俄罗斯
arriving at the Crimean peninsula.
最终到达克里米亚半岛
There he will have approximately two minutes to
他在那里会有大约两分钟时间
complete his observations during the eclipse.
来完成对日食的观察
And have you calculated the cost of this excursion?
你有没有计算过这次行程的花费
Does that include caviar?
这里面包含鱼子酱的钱吗
I must assume my esteemed colleagues
我是希望学校里尊敬的同事们
of the Academy see the value in furthering new research
能理解完成新领域研究的价值
rather than simply regurgitating the old.
而不仅仅是反复学习老的研究
Old, as in the distinguished scholars sitting in this room?
老 是指房里在座的各位杰出学者吗
What I believe Professor Einstein is trying to say
我相信爱因斯坦教授想表达的是
is that his generalized theory of relativity merits
他的广义相对论
investigation, and financial investment, as well.
值得研究 也值得获取经济支持
Would you mind giving us a few moments,
你介意给我们一点时间吗
Professor Einstein?
爱因斯坦教授
Good afternoon, Madame.
下午好 女士
Please excuse the intrusion.
请原谅我的打扰
My name is Vladimir Varicak, and I've just traveled from...
我叫弗拉基米尔·瓦利切克 我来自
I hear it in your voice.
我听出了你的口音
Is it possible I have the good fortune to encounter
我真的那么幸运 在普鲁士的心脏地带
a fellow Slav here in the heart of Prussia?
遇到了一位斯拉夫老乡吗
Is there a heart beating in Germany?
德国有跳动的心脏吗
I have yet to hear it.
我没听说过
I don't suppose Professor Einstein is at home?
我猜爱因斯坦教授不在家吧
I'm afraid not, but I can direct you to the university.
恐怕是的 不过我可以告诉你去大学的路
I had an appointment with Professor Einstein at the university,
我和爱因斯坦教授约在了大学
but unfortunately, he was not in attendance.
但不幸的是 他没出现
You're more than welcome to wait, if you like.
你愿意的话 欢迎你在这等
He should be home shortly.
他应该很快会回家
You can't seriously consider funding this charlatan?
你不会真的考虑资助这个骗子吧
I admit Herr Einstein is eccentric,
我承认爱因斯坦先生有点古怪
but his theories are driven by the same curiosity
但他的理论是由好奇心所驱动
that led professor Planck to his discoveries about quanta.
正是这种好奇心 使普朗克教授发现了量子
The same thinking that led you to your photoelectric effect.
同样的想法引领你发现光电效应
There is nothing about Einstein
爱因斯坦和我们
that is the same as us, Professor Haber.
毫无相同之处 哈伯教授
Although I understand your natural sympathies are with him.
虽然我能理解你对他的同情心
What do you mean by that?
你这么说是什么意思
I think you know precisely what I mean.
我觉得你完全明白我的意思
Has he promised you a share of his profits?
他承诺要给你利益分红了吗
That will be enough, Philipp.
够了 菲利普
Need I remind you both that the kaiser's directive to
需要我提醒你们 皇帝给学院的指示是
the Academy is to further practical science,
进一步发展应用科学
not uproot the very foundations upon which it is built.
而不是动摇应用科学的根基
After all these years, a glass of fermented prune juice
这么多年了 一杯发酵的梅子汁
is what you miss most?
是你最怀念的
I miss almost everything about home,
要这么说的话
if you must know the truth.
我怀念的是几乎是关于家的一切
The smell of the spruce trees.
云杉树的气味
The boats on Lake Palic.
帕利克湖上的船只
And what about your family?
你家人怎么样
My brother Milos has enlisted in the army.
我弟弟米洛斯去参军了
I'm worried for him.
我很担心他
Do you think it will come to war?
你觉得会演变成战争吗
Well, we both know the spirit of a Serb is never
我们都知道塞尔维亚人的精神就是
to surrender to tyranny.
永不屈服于暴政
- I hadn't noticed the time. - I.
-我都没注意到时间 -我
You must excuse me.
你一定得原谅我
I can't imagine what's kept Albert,
我不清楚是什么让阿尔伯特迟到了
but I apologize on his behalf.
但我替他道歉
I'm staying at the Excelsior,
我现在住在精益酒店
should professor Einstein find time to reschedule.
等爱因斯坦博士有空再约
I'll be sure to tell him.
我一定会转告他的
At the risk of sounding forward,
可能听起来很冒昧
may I say I'm almost thankful your husband
我想说我很感激你丈夫
was otherwise occupied.
没空过来
Good day, Frau Einstein.
祝你今天过得开心 爱因斯坦夫人
Such a pittance won't even
这么少的补贴甚至都没法
get Freundlich to the Russian border.
让弗罗因德利希到达俄国边界
They're obviously trying to deter me altogether.
很明显他们全都是在阻止我
Perhaps I could introduce you to Gustav Krupp.
我可能可以给你引荐古斯塔夫·克虏伯
You think he would pay for the expedition?
你以为他会给这次考察买单
He fancies himself an intellectual,
他觉得自己是知识分子
and he funds the Prussian Academy.
还赞助了普鲁士科学院
Why not go directly to the source?
为何不直接去找源头
Can you arrange a meeting?
你能安排会面吗
Only on the condition that I accompany you.
只能在我陪你一起的情况下
You can't bear to be away from me.
你无法忍受和我分离
True, but I also know you're not always as adept at
没错 但我也知道你对应酬
social niceties as you are with equations.
不像对方程式那样得心应手
I can help iron the inevitable wrinkles.
我能帮忙掩盖不可避免的小瑕疵
What would I do without you?
没有你我可怎么办
I was just congratulating cousin Albert
我刚只是在祝贺阿尔伯特表弟
on his upcoming expedition.
即将到来的考察活动
Where have you been?
你去哪了
You had a visitor,
有人来拜访你
a mathematician with whom you broke an appointment.
你失约的一个数学家
He's of no consequence.
无关紧要
He waited for hours.
他等了好几个小时
He writes almost weekly trying to poke holes
他几乎每周写信
I only agreed to meeting him to get him to stop.
我答应和他见面只是为了让他别找茬了
He traveled for hours.
他过来花了好几小时
I'm afraid it will have to wait.
恐怕只能再等等了
I'm leaving tomorrow for Essen.
我明天出发去埃森市
I'll be gone several days.
会去好几天
You're barely home as it is.
你几乎不怎么在家
Mileva, I have spent the entire day
米列娃 我一整天都在
defending myself to the Academy.
跟学院据理力争
I will not be forced to do it in my own home.
不想在自己家也被迫如此
I was under the impression it was our home.
我还以为这是我们的家
Mileva, I am trying to prove the most important
米列娃 我在努力证明
discovery of my life.
我这辈子最重要的发现
You of all people should understand how important it is.
你应该最清楚这有多重要
I moved here with you, didn't I?
我和你一起搬来了不是吗
Yet not one word of support since we set foot in Berlin.
自我们在柏林落脚你就没说过一句支持的话
How am I to offer it if you're never here?
你不在家我要怎么说
Can't you see how miserable I am?
你看不到我有多痛苦吗
You're miserable everywhere.
你在哪都很痛苦
If you want to know the truth,
如果你想知道真相
I'm looking forward to this trip,
我很期待这次旅程
as I do any reprieve from your dark moods.
这样就可以从你的消极情绪里得到暂时的解脱
Well, what do you think?
你觉得怎么样
I think that your killing machine is as magnificent
我觉得你的杀人机器
a monstrosity as they come, Herr Krupp.
很了不起 克虏伯先生
I am going to present "Big Bertha"
我打算下周向国会
to the Reichstag next week.
展示贝尔莎大炮
A fanciful name for such a weapon.
这样有杀伤力的武器用这个名字倒是很少见
I named her after the most combustible person I know.
以我认识最暴躁的人的名字为她命名
I must admit, Elsa.
不得不承认 爱尔莎
I was surprised to see you here.
在这见到你倒是挺意外的
A bit of a precarious position, is it not?
处境有点危险 不是吗
Accompanying Professor Einstein on such a public errand?
陪同爱因斯坦教授参加这样的工作场合
I can't imagine anyone who would find fault
我无法想象谁会为我支持
in my supporting the endeavors of family.
家人的努力而指手画脚
Yes, your cousin.
没错 他是你的表弟
I can assure you that rumors remain at the speculation stage,
能够确定的是传言现在还在猜测阶段
yet I would tread carefully.
换做我就会小心行事的
A scandal once unleashed is difficult to reign in
丑闻一旦被揭露就很难控制了
and always ends up much worse for the woman than the man.
通常对女人的影响要比男人严重得多
Thank you, Bertha.
谢谢你 贝尔塔
But I'm afraid you'll have to excuse me.
请容我失陪一下
And so clearly the deflection should be precisely
很明显偏差应该
0.83 seconds of arc.
很精确的0.83角秒一度角=3600角秒
And to get here, we employed Riemannian geometry,
为了得到结果 我们引入了黎曼几何
since it contains certain invariants
因为它包含了坐标转换时
under coordinate transformations that...
某些定量
And when these measurements are taken
当取得这些计量
and photographs published, Albert will be hailed a genius.
照片发布后 阿尔伯特将被誉为天才
Certainly in line for the Nobel prize.
自然会成为诺贝尔奖的候选人
Elsa is perhaps too kind.
爱尔莎也许有点夸张了
Professor Einstein is perhaps too modest.
爱因斯坦教授也许太谦虚了
His name will be forever pressed into the history books
他会因改变我们理解世界的方式
for changing the way we understand the world.
而被永远地载入史册
The question is, does Herr Gustav Krupp want his name
问题是 古斯塔夫·克虏伯先生是否愿意
printed alongside Albert's?
与阿尔伯特一起被载入历史呢
As you know, I have many acquaintances in the Academy.
如你所知 我在学院有很多熟人
And there are those who believe your theories to be,
坦白说 有很多人认为你的理论是
there's no polite way to say it, pure fantasy.
没有委婉的说法 纯属白日做梦
At the risk of sounding boastful,
冒着自吹自擂的风险
there are those who said I wouldn't prove
也有人说过我无法证明
the existence of molecules.
分子的存在
They denounced my theory of special relativity.
他们批判我的狭义相对论
If I'm right again, this expedition will
如果这回我又对了 这次考察会
revolutionize science in the way that your "Big Bertha"
像您的贝尔莎大炮颠覆战争那样
will revolutionize warfare.
颠覆科学界
What do you say, Herr Krupp?
您说呢 克虏伯先生
I like a man who stands by his dreams, Herr Einstein.
我欣赏坚持梦想的人 爱因斯坦先生
The Academy be damned.
去他的学院
I must wire Freundlich immediately.
我要立刻联系弗罗因德利希
I told you we could do it.
我就说你能做到的
You are my champion, Elsa.
你真是我的坚实后盾 爱尔莎
Thank you for believing in me.
感谢你相信我
You're becoming famous.
你渐渐有名气了
You draw more attention than an ordinary man
比起普通人亲吻他的情妇
kissing his mistress.
你会引来更多的注意
Elsa, you are not my mistress.
爱尔莎 你不是我的情妇
Are you not still married?
你不是身处一段婚姻中吗
I'm here with you.
我可是和你在一起
Look what we just accomplished together.
看看我们一起完成了什么
You know what you mean to me.
你知道你对我意义重大
But I'm beginning to see what perhaps I should have all along.
但是我开始意识到我所缺失的
I allowed myself to be swept up in the whirlwind that you create.
我任由自己深陷入你创造的旋风中
I was blinded by my feelings, but Bertha has opened my eyes.
我被自己的感情蒙蔽 贝尔塔让我看清现状
We can't care what others say.
我们不需要在意其他人的想法
I need to think of my daughters.
我得为我的女儿们考虑
What happens to them if I become the object of ridicule?
如果我成为笑柄她们会怎么样
What about your family?
还有你的家庭呢
Mileva's furious with me regardless of.
无论怎样米列娃都会对我大发雷霆的
We've certainly given her reason.
我们这不就给她理由了吗
Even so, she is not the monster you made her out to be.
即使这样 你才是她变成这样的罪魁祸首
Does she deserve the scorn that will surely be heaped
如果这事传出去 难道她就该承受
upon her if word spreads?
这些流言引发的冷嘲热讽吗
Elsa, I moved my family to Berlin for you.
爱尔莎 我举家搬来柏林是为了你
You came to join the Academy.
你来是为了加入学院
Because it brought me near to you.
那也是因为能离你更近
And now, now I can't imagine a single day without seeing you.
现在 我无法想象没有你怎么度过漫漫长日
I'm sorry, Albert.
抱歉 阿尔伯特
But as long as you're still married, we cannot be together.
但是只要你还没离婚 我们就不能在一起
I believe even Fritz is secretly jealous of
我想就连弗里茨也会偷偷嫉妒
your husband's breakthrough.
你丈夫的重大发现
I miss working with him, being a scientist, myself.
真怀念作为科学家 和他一起工作的那个我
Yes, my years in the laboratory with Fritz were
没错 我和弗里茨一起在实验室度过的时光
among the best of my life.
是我这一生中最棒的
And now we are playing cards while they pursue their passions.
现在当他们追寻理想时我们却在这里玩纸牌
Listen to the two of us.
听听我们的对话
I do wish Elsa could have joined us.
真希望爱尔莎能加入
She brings such levity.
她总能让气氛变得轻快
I called on her yesterday, but apparently,
我昨天给她打电话了 但显然
she's gone away for a few days.
她已经出城好几天了
To Essen, I'm told.
听说是埃森
That's where Albert is.
阿尔伯特也去那里了
I assumed you had some idea,
我以为你会有所察觉的
or I would have spoken up sooner.
或许我该早点和你说
How could I not have seen it?
我怎么就没察觉呢
Perhaps you didn't want to.
也许是你不想想罢了
If I'm not mistaken, it was Elsa who helped make
我没弄错的话 正是爱尔莎
arrangements for your move.
促成了你们这次的移居
She was so kind to me.
她对我那么好
Elsa is not a bad woman.
爱尔莎不是个坏女人
They rarely are.
她们很少是坏女人
And you must find a way to cope with that.
你得想办法应对丈夫出轨
Don't you want to kill him?
难道你不想杀了他吗
You may rage in moral superiority, as I did,
你可以像我一样站在道德制高点暴怒不已
you can sulk in futile silence,
也可以忍气吞声
or you might find it more satisfying
或者你也可以同样放纵自己
to allow yourself the same freedom.
这样也许更舒服些
Don't you deserve to feel loved?
难道你无权享受被爱的感觉吗
To what do I owe the pleasure?
有什么能为你效劳的吗
I came to inform you that
我是来和你说一声
my husband has beencalled away on extended business.
我丈夫因公出远门了
I'm afraid he won't be able to meet with you.
恐怕他无法与你见面了
Disappointing news.
真令人失望啊
Albert can be awfully thoughtless sometimes.
阿尔伯特有时候的确不太为别人着想
I felt you were owed an apology in person.
我觉得该当面向你致歉
Well, it seems that neither of us
看来咱们今晚都是
has a dinner companion this evening.
无人相伴啊
Would you care to, to join me?
你愿意和我共进晚餐吗
They say Tesla is as mad as he is brilliant.
他们说特斯拉聪慧同时又疯狂
Perhaps that's simply a persona he's created to
也许这只是他创造的形象
distinguish himself from the likes of Edison.
用来把自己和爱迪生区分开来
A fascinating theory.
这理论真有趣
Then again, he is a temperamental Serb,
而且他是个喜怒无常的塞尔维亚人
and there's nothing entirely sane about the lot of us.
咱们塞尔维亚人可没几个正常的啊
I've had a wonderful time with you this evening, Mileva.
今晚与你过得非常愉快 米列娃
I'm afraid I've taken leave of my senses,
我恐怕是疯了吧
dining in public with a stranger while my husband is away.
趁丈夫出门 在大庭广众之下与陌生人进餐
Stranger no more, I hope.
希望你以后别把我当陌生人看待了
When were you going to tell me about Elsa?
你打算什么时候和我说爱尔莎的事
Are you in love with her?
你爱上她了吗
Do you know where I was last night?
你知道我昨晚去哪了吗
A man who finds me fascinating,
他认为我很迷人
who takes pleasure in my company.
也很高兴能有我相伴
The mathematician from Zagreb,
从萨格勒布来的数学家
Perhaps you should have.
也许你就该和他一起
Do I really mean so little to you?
我在你眼里就那么无关轻重吗
Do not call me that.
别这么叫我
Not unless you can look me in the eye and
除非你能看着我的眼睛
tell me you still love me.
告诉我你还爱我
It's time we were honest with each other.
我们是时候要对彼此坦诚了
Love has abandoned this marriage in equal parts.
在这段婚姻里 我们的爱已经消失殆尽
What about the, the life we've built?
那我们已经建立起来的生活怎么办
There is no sin in drifting apart, only in
离婚其实不足为过
punishing each other for it.
而为此互相伤害才是
Why are you so intent on a divorce, anyway?
其实你为什么这么着急离婚啊
Why not do what the rest of us do?
为什么不学学我们
There's been no talk of divorce under my roof.
在我家可没人敢提离婚
Elsa won't see me as things stand.
倘若不离婚 爱尔莎就不会再见我
She certainly won't resume our relations
我一日不离婚
as long as I'm still married.
她就不会与我恢复关系
Elsa means that much to you?
对你来说爱尔莎就那么重要吗
She, she makes me happy.
她使我快乐
Perhaps Mileva can find someone to make her happy, too,
也许米列娃也能找到一个能让她快乐的人
but not as long as she clings to this marriage.
但如果她执着于这场婚姻那这一切都是空谈
I must make her see that somehow and set us both free.
我必须让她意识到这一点 来解放我们彼此
How do you plan to do that?
你打算怎么做
"If you wish to remain married,
"如果你想继续保持婚姻关系
you must agree to the following conditions.
就必须同意以下几点
A, you will ensure that my laundry is kept in good order,
一 你必须要保证整理妥当洗好的衣物
that I receive three meals in my room,
也必须将三餐送至我房间
and that my study is
我的书房必须
kept neat, left for my use only.
保持整洁 仅供我使用
B: You will renounce personal relations with me insofar as
二 你要宣布放弃与我的私人关系
they are not necessary for social reasons.
因其出于社交原因并非必需
C: You will not expect any intimacy from me,
三 你不可与我有任何亲密互动
nor will you reproach me in any way."
亦不可以任何方式责难我
How could you agree to be party to such a thing?
你怎么能答应这种事情
D: You will stop talking to me when I request it.
四 如我有要求 你应立即停止与我说话
You will leave my bedroom and study immediately and
如我有要求 你必须立即离开
without protest if I request it.
我的卧室与书房 且毫无异议
To honestly believe one's own wife is so without reason that
他真的以为自己的妻子会失去理智
she must be shocked into accepting a divorce?
因为震惊而接受离婚吗
Not even the decency to issue the demands himself.
甚至无礼到不亲自来提出要求
Such theatrics can only be intended to incense me.
这种夸张的戏码是为了激怒我吧
He's given you no choice, Mileva.
他让你毫无选择 米列娃
How can you retain any dignity if you hold on?
如果你维持这段婚姻 哪还有尊严可言
Give the man his damn divorce and be done with it.
跟这男人离婚 结束这一切吧
I'll do what you want.
我会如你所愿
I'm sure in time you'll realize
我相信你会渐渐了解
it's for the best.
这样才是最好的
I mean your list.
我是说你的清单
I'll wash your laundry, clean each floorboard,
我会为你洗衣 清洁地板
deliver three hot meals to your study.
送三餐到你的书房
I'll respect the letter of the law in
我会遵守那封信上的规定
Albert Einstein's household.
处理阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦的家务
Those were your terms, were they not?
这是你的条件 不是吗
Yes, if you are intent on forcing us to remain
是的 只要你想要强迫我俩维持
in this intolerable situation.
这种难以忍受的状态
They need their father.
他们需要父亲
I would be near, no matter what.
不管怎样 我都会住在附近
You aren't near as it is.
你不会像现在这么近
We both know if you move out, weeks will go by without them
我们都知道如果你搬出去 他们好几周
laying eyes on the man they adore.
才能见到敬爱的父亲
Would that be worse than growing up with two
这难道比跟两个无法共处一室的人
people who can't bear to be in the same room as each other?
一起生活还要糟糕吗
I am not letting you walk away from the boys.
我不会让你离开儿子的
And yes, I am aware this relationship henceforth
是的 我知道这段关系从此以后
is merely a formality.
就只是个形式
Now, if you'll excuse me, I must shop for your meals.
现在请恕我得出门购买为你烹饪的食材了
You know what force makes the kite fly?
你们知道是什么让风筝得以飞翔吗
It's called lift, a curious effect of air
升力 空气经过风筝表面
passing over the kite's surface.
产生的有趣作用
What do you say we go and get some cake, huh?
你们想不想吃蛋糕
All right. Let's bring her in.
好 那我们把风筝收回来
You know what, Papa?
爸爸 你知道吗
I don't think you're nearly as cruel as Mama says you are.
我觉得你不像妈妈说的那么残忍
I hope you understand this was,
我希望你理解这只是
what it was and nothing more.
只是一夜情 没有别的意思
Perhaps in another time.
下次再聚吧
Since it's clear I'm never meeting with your esteemed husband,
既然我无法见到你大名鼎鼎的丈夫
I hope you'll show this to him.
我希望你能给他看这个
I've devised a proof which demonstrates that
我找到了一个证据来证明
his theory does not satisfy Mach's principle.
他的理论不符合马赫原理
I came to warn him that if he proceeds with this expedition,
我就是来警告他如果继续研究
he will be testing a calculation based on a flawed foundation.
将是建立在错误的理论基础上进行测算
His results will not match his predictions.
他的结果不会符合他的预测
He could become a laughingstock.
他可能会沦为笑柄
Albert, there's something I must show you.
阿尔伯特 有件事我必须告诉你
How long have you been poisoning my sons against me?
你到底跟儿子说我的坏话说了多久
I don't know what you're talking about.
我不知道你在说什么
They seem to think that I'm a cruel person.
他们似乎认为我是个残忍的人
I wonder where they got such an idea.
我很好奇他们为什么会这么想
Do you honestly believe I need to conspire to
你真的觉得我需要费尽心思
make the boys see what they witness with their own eyes?
向儿子灌输他们亲眼见证的东西吗
The way you treat me?
你对待我的方式
But this stops now.
不准再这么做
You are never to speak ill of me in front of the children again.
你再也不准在孩子面前讲我的坏话
I will add it to the list.
我会把这条加入清单
You should look this over before Freundlich....
你应该先看看这个再让弗罗因德利希...
My patience is exhausted, Mileva.
我对你没耐心了 米列娃
It's for your own.
这是为你自己好
You will stop talking to me when I request it,
如我有要求 你应立即停止与我说话
and you will leave my study immediately without protest.
并立即离开我的书房 毫无异议
Be sure to send a telegram the moment you arrive in Crimea.
你一到达克里米亚就给我发电报
By the end of the month,
到月底
the world will be cheering Albert Einstein.
全世界都会歌颂阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦
No one will ever doubt you again.
没人会再质疑你了
The Kaiser's declared war.
德皇宣战了
We are officially across enemy lines.
我们正在穿过敌人的边境
Keep your voices down.
声音小一点
If we change trains at the next stop,
如果我们下一站换火车的话
we could be back into Austria by nightfall.
我们傍晚就可以到达奥地利
No, the worst thing we can do is panic.
不 我们千万不能紧张
But Herr Freundlich.
但是弗罗因德里希先生
We only need to keep quiet, make it to Crimea,
我们只需要保持安静 坚持到克里米亚
take our photographs and get the hell out.
照好照片然后逃出去
Has there been a telegram from Freundlich?
弗罗因德里希来电报了吗
Is it possible that you missed a messenger?
有没有可能你漏掉了电报
I haven't left the apartment all day.
我一整天都没有出屋
There's been no telegram.
就没有电报
We are astronomers.
我们是天文学家
You must believe me.
你必须相信我们
We, tell him, tell him.
快告诉他
Stars, the stars up.
星星 天上的星星
No, no, no, please, don't touch this.
不不不 求你不要碰这些
Thank you for coming.
感谢你们的到来
Your message sounded urgent.
你的电报似乎很急切
Gentlemen, I fear that Herr Freundlich and
大家 恐怕弗罗因德里希先生
his men have run into trouble in Russia.
和他的人在俄国出了一些问题
I haven't received word from them since the war broke out.
战争爆发之后我就没收到过他们的消息了
If you haven't heard from them, you can't be sure
如果他们没有消息 不一定意味着
His instructions were to wire me the moment
他跟我说过到了克里米亚
he arrived in Crimea.
就会给我发电报的
How do you expect us to find
你怎么指望我们能够
three astronomers in the middle of a war?
在战争中找到三位天文学家
Max, this is the kaiser's academy, for God's sake.
天啊马克思 这可是国家的栋梁
Men of your stature must have a connection at the Reichstag.
你这样地位的人应该会和国会大厦有所来往吧
If we go to the Reichstag, they are likely to
如果我们去了国会大厦 他们很可能会
question the wisdom of your insistence on embarking on
质问你为什么在这样动荡的时代
this expedition at such a volatile time.
还要坚持去冒险探索
Who cares what people think of me
性命攸关的时候谁还在乎
when lives are at stake?
别人怎么看我
Just help me find Erwin.
帮我找到欧文
This is a camera, no?
这是一部相机 对吗
To take pictures of troop movements, encampments.
为了照我们军队的动向和营地的状况
No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,
不不不
You enter Russia from Germany with trunks full of
你带着满满几箱子照相设备从德国进入俄国
photographic devices, and you want us to believe
然后你还想让我们相信
that you are not a spy?
你不是一个间谍吗
I, I'm a scientist.
我是一名科学家
I'm here to photograph an eclipse in a matter of days.
我来此是为了在数日之内拍摄日食的
Please, if you would release me and my assistants,
求你了 如果你现在放了我和我的助手
Who ordered you to come here?
谁命令你来这里的
I-I'm here on behalf of
我来是代表
the great physicist, Albert Einstein.
最伟大的物理学家阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦的
You work for Albert Einstein?
你为阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦工作吗
Yes, you know of him?
是的 你知道他吗
Well? The kaiser has heard through diplomatic channels.
皇帝已经通过外交渠道了解了消息
Freundlich is alive, as are his men.
弗罗因德里希和他的人还活着
They're being interned in a prisoner-of-war camp.
他们被关在战时集中营之中
Albert, you sent him into a war zone a trunk
阿尔伯特 你让他们带着一箱子监视设备
full of surveillance equipment.
进入战区
Well, let's clear up the misunderstanding and
让我们清除这个误会
get them out of there.
把他们救出去
It's not that simple.
没那么简单
There may be a way to resolve this.
有一个办法可以解决这个问题
But it requires the cooperation of both
但是这需要我们皇帝和他们沙皇的
the kaiser and the czar.
共同努力
Whatever must be done.
无论如何必须要救出来
Albert, there is no guarantee that
阿尔伯特 没有谁能保证
Where are you taking me?
你们要带我去哪里
No, please, please, I have a wife.
别这样 别这样 我有妻子
Go, let's go, go, go.
走 快走 快走
Mileva, Erwin's been freed in exchange
米列娃 欧文被释放了
for Russian prisoners.
用俄罗斯犯人做交换
Isn't it wonderful?
实在是天大的好事
And the photographs?
那些照片呢
Perhaps it's a blessing.
也许这是好事
Why would you say that?
为什么这么说
Your foundation for general relativity is flawed.
你的广义相对论基本原则有误
What? Whatever would lead you to such a conclusion?
什么 你怎么会这么想呢
Naturally, I didn't believe his ideas had merit,
当然 我本来不相信他的理论有道理
but then he showed me his proof,
但他给我看了他的论证
and Albert, your theory does not,
阿尔伯特 你的理论
in fact, satisfy Mach's principle.
其实并没有满足马赫原理
You saw this proof, and yet you said nothing?
你看到这些论证 却什么也不说吗
Y-you're telling me that I could have been ruined,
你是说我有可能被毁于一旦
and you stayed silent?
你却只字不提吗
I was obeying your orders.
我是在服从你的命令
you-you let me send those young men into danger?
你让我派那些年轻人冲进危险地带吗
How were either of us to know
我们俩都不知道
the Kaiser would declare war on Russia?
德皇会对俄国发动战争
You wanted me to fail.
你希望我失败
Yes, somewhere deep within me I wanted to see the look
没错 我希望看到在你经历
on your face when you experienced real pain.
真正痛苦时你脸上的表情
The harsh judgement of the world.
世上最残酷的审判
I wanted to see those dreams crumble for you
我想看到你的梦想被摧毁
as they have for me.
正如我的一样
You hate me that much?
你就这么恨我吗
I hate the person I've become because of you.
我恨的是因为你 我变成了这样的人
You're right, Albert.
你说得对 阿尔伯特
We can't stay together any longer.
我们不能再在一起
I thought we decided.
我们不是决定好了吗
Mileva's agreed to end things.
米列娃同意结束一切
She accepted the divorce?
她接受离婚吗
Oh, Albert, that's not.
阿尔伯特 那样不行
I'll be getting a flat of my own.
我会给自己找间公寓
We'll have all the time in the world.
我们有的是时间
You know there is quite a difference between
你知道分居和离婚
separation and divorce.
是有区别的吧
Can we please simply enjoy this moment?
我们能不能好好享受这一刻
I know it's been difficult,
我知道一直以来很不容易
but I beg your patience just a little while longer.
但请你再等我一段时间
It's only a matter of time before we're able to be together.
我们迟早能在一起的
Let's get our seats.
我们去找座位吧
Mileva, Mileva, Mileva, don't do this.
米列娃 米列娃 米列娃 别走
It's already done, Albert.
我们已经结束了 阿尔伯特
You don't have to go all the way to Switzerland.
你不必大老远跑去瑞士
It will be easier for everyone.
这样大家都会好过些
You pushed so hard.
你那么想把我推开
Now you have what you wanted.
现在你如愿以偿了
I wanted to end our marriage.
我想要结束我们的婚姻
I didn't want to lose my whole family.
可我不想失去整个家
The move to Berlin was for you.
搬来柏林是为了你
I never wanted it.
我根本不想来
But what about the boys?
那儿子们呢
You can't have everything, Albert.
鱼和熊掌不可兼得 阿尔伯特
You have your kite with you?
你带了风筝吗
Good, I'll come and fly it with you very soon.
那就好 我很快就会过去和你一起放风筝
I'll write every day.
我每天都会写信
Will you remember where we left off on circumference?
你会记得圆周说到哪了吗
I'm sorry, Dollie.
对不起 洋娃娃
I wanted so much for us.
我对我们的寄予太多了
Good-bye, Albert.
再见 阿尔伯特