天才 第一季 Genius Season 1 第7集: 爱因斯坦:第七章

上映日期: 2,017

语言: 英语

影片类型: 剧情 / 传记 / 历史

导演: 朗·霍华德 / 明基·斯皮罗 / 凯文·霍克斯 / 詹姆斯·哈维斯 / 肯尼士·比勒

演员: 杰弗里·拉什 / 强尼·弗林 / 尼古拉斯·罗尔 / 萨曼莎·科利 / 拉尔夫·布朗 / 理查德·托普尔 / 乔·弗莱彻 / 克莱尔·拉什布鲁克 / 艾丽西娅·冯·里特贝格 / 西尔维纳·布克包尔 /


台词
Previously on Genius...
《天才》前情提要
As long as you are still married we cannot be together.
但是只要你还没离婚 我们就不能在一起
I need to think of my daughters.
我得为我的女儿们考虑
I moved my family to Berlin for you.
我举家搬来柏林是为了你
You came to join the academy.
你来是为了加入学院
I do wish Elsa could have joined us.
真希望爱尔莎能加入
Apparently she's gone away to Esson.
显然她已经出城去埃森了
That's where Albert is.
阿尔伯特也去那里了
When were you going to tell me about Elsa?
你打算什么时候和我说爱尔莎的事
I want a divorce.
我想和你离婚
I am not letting you walk away from the boys.
我不会让你离开儿子的
Fritz Haber.
弗里茨·哈伯
The man that pulled nitrogen out of thin air.
从空气中发现氮的人
I'm a proud war veteran.
我是个自豪的战争退伍军人
Really, Fritz?
真的吗 弗里茨
You're proud of your military service?
你对于你的当兵经历感到自豪吗
The only way to confirm general relativity
但只有在日食时
is during a solar eclipse.
才能证明广义相对论
The Kaiser has declared war on Russia.
德皇向俄国宣战了
Your foundation for general relativity is flawed.
你的广义相对论基本原则有误
I could have been ruined.
我有可能被毁于一旦
- You wanted me to fail. - You're right.
-你希望我失败 -没错
Mileva has agreed to end things.
米列娃同意结束一切
There is quite a difference between separation and divorce.
分居和离婚有很大区别
Mileva I wanted to end our marriage,
米列娃 我想要结束我们的婚姻
I didn't want to lose my whole family.
可我不想失去整个家
You can't have everything, Albert.
鱼和熊掌不可兼得 阿尔伯特
《我的战争》
天才第一季 第七集
英国 布里斯托1898年
Tonight I will demonstrate black body
今晚我将展示黑体吸收和
absorption and the forces.
其中的受力情况
Forgive me,
抱歉
but there is a more urgent matter to discuss.
但我要先说件更迫在眉睫的事
My friends, England, and all of Europe,
朋友们 英国 以及所有欧洲国家
is facing catastrophe.
正面临一场大灾难
The natural fertilizer we have long used to grow our crops
我们长期以来用于种植庄稼的天然肥料
is dwindling rapidly.
正急剧减少
Without it, our soil becomes barren.
没有肥料 我们的土壤将变得贫瘠
What we are left with is too many mouths to feed
我们将面临人口过多
and not enough food.
而食物不足的窘境
Tonight, I call on the great minds of Europe.
今晚 我呼吁全欧洲的杰出人士
Barring a monumental scientific breakthrough,
除非在短短几年内
in a few short years,
出现了巨大科技突破
Europe will starve.
否则欧洲将出现饥荒
Did you read what this Crookes fellow claims?
你看到这个克鲁克斯说的了吗
Millions of people will starve
几百万人将会饿死
德国 卡尔斯鲁厄1898年几百万人将会饿死
if we don't find a new way to grow crops.
除非我们能研发出种植庄稼的新方法
I must do something.
我得做点什么
Fritz, you hardly keep a houseplant alive.
弗里茨 你连盆栽都养不活
Guano, do you know what it is?
鸟粪石 你知道是什么吗
Of course.
当然
Bat excrement.
蝙蝠粪便
And why do we ship bat excrement to Europe
如果我们从大洋彼岸运输
from a world away?
蝙蝠粪便到欧洲呢
It's a good source of nitrogen.
粪便中富含氮元素
So is the air.
空气里也有很多
80% nitrogen to be exact.
准确来说 空气中80%都是氮元素
You could never harness enough energy to
你不可能获取足够的能量
break apart nitrogen bonds.
来破坏氮键
A lightning bolt could do it.
闪电就可以做到
Yes, but you can hardly corral lightning bolts,
是 但你无法收集闪电
now can you?
是吧
Not yet.
暂时还不能
Gentlemen, the very fate of our nation depends
先生们 我们国家的命运
十六年后柏林 1914年先生们 我们国家的命运
on the men in this room.
就指望在座各位了
Our generals have informed me that the army's ammunition
我接到将军通知 军队的弹药储备
stockpile has dwindled to a six-month supply.
只剩下六个月的量了
And I say it's nonsense, in six weeks our boys
我觉得太混账了 不到六个星期
will be hurling rocks instead of firing artillery.
我们的军人都只能扔石头 而不是开枪了
My God.
我的天
I have taken it upon myself to fund a military department
我决定由我来建立一个军事部门
devoted to scientific innovation.
专门进行科学革新
Make no mistake, we are facing a bloody surrender.
别搞错了 我们面临的可能是代价惨重的投降
I need you.
我需要你们
Germany needs you.
德国需要你们
You have my support, Dr Rathenau.
我赞成 拉特瑙博士
And I'm surely not alone in that.
其他人肯定也会赞成的
Hear, hear.
是啊 是啊
Gentlemen, I am circulating a letter to the kaiser,
先生们 请各位传阅一封即将上书给皇帝的信件
pledging the commitment of the finest minds of Germany's
请求全德国科学界的杰出人士
scientific community and I beseech you to sign it.
都能加入 恳请大家在上面签名
Stand with the fatherland in its hour of need.
在祖国需要时与其并肩作战
Doctor Rathenau,
拉特瑙博士
some of us still indulge in the wild notion
我们中的一些人依然坚信
that scientists are meant to
科学家是为了揭示
unravel the mysteries of the world,
世界的未解之谜
not find new ways to destroy it.
而不是想法设法毁灭它
We are all free to make choices.
每个人都有自由选择的权力
And history will take note.
历史将会见证
You didn't sign it.
你没有签字
Of course I didn't sign it.
我当然没签
I'm not a lemming like the rest of them.
我不像其他人那样盲目从众
Aren't you worried it might affect your standing in the academy?
你不怕这会影响到你在学院的地位吗
I won't make weapons, Elsa.
我不制造武器 爱尔莎
I have actual work to do.
我还有正经工作要做
You must miss them terribly,
你肯定很想念他们
I'm sure they miss you.
他们肯定也很想你
She was welcome to every stick of furniture.
我并没有赶她走的意思
But how could I let her take my boys?
但是我怎么能让她把儿子们带走呢
What choice did you have?
你当时别无选择
It's cruel, isn't it?
很残酷吧
That what is most important in life
生命中最重要的东西
reveals itself to be so only by its absence.
只有在失去的时候才意识到
You can't stay here, alone, in this empty apartment.
你不能一个人待在这个空荡荡的公寓里
Are you offering to take me in?
你想让我搬过去吗
Of course not, you're not divorced.
当然不 你还没离婚
Don't start this again, Elsa.
又来了 爱尔莎
But there is a flat available in my building.
但是我们楼里有一间公寓是空的
I could look after you.
我可以照顾你
I am quite capable of tending to myself, thank you.
我能照顾好自己 谢谢
Yes, clearly.
是的 当然
No sleep, a bare apartment, a flaring ulcer,
不眠不休 空荡荡的公寓 还有胃溃疡
you're the picture of independence.
你简直就是独立的象征
I know this empty space
我知道你觉得这个空荡的空间
must seem uninhabitable to you,
不适合生活
but to me, such a vacuum is second nature.
但是对我来说 这种真空是第二天性
Even I know that vacuums can't sustain life.
就连我都知道真空无法维系生命
General relativity is everything to me now, Elsa.
广义相对论是我的一切 爱尔莎
Once I've solved it, the rest of my life can rush in.
一旦我解决了 我的余生就充满了意义
You are unbearable.
你真让人难以忍受
It's a pity I love you so much.
可我还是很爱你
瑞士 苏黎世
Mileva!
米列娃瑞士 苏黎世
How good to see you.
看见你真高兴
Come in.
进来
I'm afraid I don't have time today.
恐怕我今天没有时间
Anna was just setting up breakfast.
安娜正在准备早饭
Anna, Anna, Mileva is here, come.
安娜 安娜 米列娃来了 快过来
What a lovely surprise.
太惊喜了
Yes, well, I only came by to borrow some sheet music.
我只是过来借一些乐谱
I find myself with some spare time on my hands.
我最近挺空闲的
I thought perhaps I could teach piano again.
或许我可以再教人弹钢琴
Is everything all right, Mileva?
你还好吗 米列娃
The money Albert sent for the month lasted only a week.
阿尔伯特寄来的一个月的生活费只够用一周
You must write to him for more.
你得找他多要点钱
He wouldn't want you and the boys to suffer.
他是不会让你和孩子受苦的
He sends all he can.
他把他有的都寄过来了
But with the war, the German mark is practically worthless.
但是战争爆发 德国马克大幅贬值
I'll go find that sheet music.
我去找乐谱
Has Albert made any plans to visit the boys?
阿尔伯特有打算来看孩子吗
I'm certain he will soon.
他很快就会来
You are too kind to him, Mileva.
你对他太好了 米列娃
I know you will find students quickly.
很快就会有学生来的
Thank you.
谢谢
Mama!
妈妈
Frau Einstein.
爱因斯坦太太
Herr Nicolai.
尼柯莱先生
I was not expecting company.
我没想到有人会来
And apparently neither were you.
显然你也没想到
Nicolai is only here bearing news.
尼柯莱只是来这传递消息的
Yes, you see I'm the leader of a new caucus
是的 我是一个新党团议会的领导人
advocating against the war.
提倡反战
Actually, I was wondering
事实上 我想知道
if you would introduce me to Professor Einstein?
你是否能帮我引荐爱因斯坦教授
Ilse tells me you are quite close.
伊尔丝告诉我你俩关系不错
I'm told he was the only scientist
我听说他是唯一一个
who refused to sign the war manifesto.
拒绝签署战争宣言的科学家
The support of a man of his stature
得到像他这样的人支持
would help my cause greatly.
对我的事业会是极大的帮助
I'll convey the message.
我会转告他的
But Dr Einstein is a very busy man.
但是爱因斯坦博士非常繁忙
Frau Einstein,
爱因斯坦太太
Fraulein Ilse.
伊尔丝小姐
You didn't have to treat him with such venom.
你不用对他这么严厉
He's a cad, groping a young woman half his age.
他是个无赖 勾搭年龄只有他一半的小姑娘
It's unseemly.
非常不得体
You, of all people, are lecturing me about what is unseemly?
你有什么资格教训我什么是得体
Don't you dare speak to me in that tone.
你竟敢这样跟我讲话
And it is careless of you to insinuate to a stranger
而且你跟陌生人暗示我和阿尔伯特关系紧密
that Albert and I are so close.
太鲁莽了
No one need insinuate anything, mama.
根本不用暗示 妈妈
The neighbors have been gossiping about you two for months.
邻居们已经八卦你们俩好几个月了
You shouldn't waste your time worrying over my affairs.
你不必浪费时间担心我的感情生活
What I worry over is my own mother's behavior impeding
我担心的是 我母亲的行为
my chances of ever getting married.
会影响到我结婚
You've acted so outrageously that no self-respecting man
你的行为太出格 有自尊的男人
will give me a second look.
都不会愿意多看我一眼
I will make certain that you and your sister are settled.
我会确保你和你妹妹有个好归宿的
But then where will I be?
但到那时我怎么办
When you are older, you will realize
等你年纪大一些 你就会意识到
that there is little for a woman in this world.
这个世界女人是难以立足的
One way or another, I must salvage a life for myself.
无论如何 我必须给自己找一条生路
Eduard, is everything all right?
爱德华 你还好吗
Uncle Michele!
米凯勒舅舅
Dear God, Mileva?
天啊 米列娃
Mileva can you hear me?
米列娃 你能听到我说话吗
She'll wake up.
她会醒过来的
She always does.
她总是这样
This has happened before?
之前发生过这种状况吗
She says her heart beats fast
她说她心跳很快
and then she doesn't remember what happens next.
然后她就不记得接下来发生什么了
Help me.
帮个忙
Help me lift her.
帮我把她抬起来
She'll all right, won't she?
她会没事的 对吗
Professor Hilbert?
希尔伯特教授
Ah, Professor Einstein.
爱因斯坦教授
Come, come.
快来 快来
I was most taken by your lecture on relativity.
我被你的相对论课程所打动
Couldn't wait to meet the man with such a boundless imagination.
等不及见见你这位拥有无限想象的人
These are calculations for relativity.
这些是对相对论的计算
Well I should hope you would recognize your own quagmire.
我就知道你能认出自己深陷的泥沼
You know, the prickly points in your theory
你的理论中提出的那些棘手的观点
have even me at a loss.
即便是我 也困惑不解
For the moment.
至少目前如此
I had hoped to show you my most recent work.
我一直想将最新工作展示给你
I never imagined a mathematician of your stature would actually
我从未想过您这般声望的数学家
put your mind to it before I even arrived.
能在我到访之前就将全部身心投入其中
I've spent the last two days puzzling over it.
我过去两天都在苦苦思索这个问题
I've lost the last few years of my life trying
我花费了数年生命
to complete the damn thing.
想要让理论完整
I'm overjoyed that you're willing to assist me.
你愿意辅助我 我太高兴了
Assist you?
辅助你
Well, that would be fun, but that would take far too long.
那一定很有趣 但太浪费时间了
No, no, I can solve it much more quickly on my own.
不 我自己来算 会快很多
On your own?
你自己吗
Professor Einstein, physics is far too complicated
爱因斯坦教授 将物理留给物理学家来解决
to be left to physicists.
这太复杂了
Albert, what are you so upset about?
阿尔伯特 你为何如此心烦
He's going to finish it first!
他会比我先完成的
Well consider yourself lucky.
你应该感到幸运
It's not every day one of the greatest mathematicians
并不是每天都能有世界着名的数学家
in the world decides to take up the cause of a physicist.
决定参与到物理的事业中
Sit down, Albert, please.
先坐下吧 阿尔伯特
Relativity is the greatest idea I have ever had.
相对论是我迄今为止最伟大的想法
Is it so wrong that I want to bring it to completion on my own?
我想自己完成有错吗
Albert, are you really going to
阿尔伯特 你真的准备
start a public pissing contest over academic credit
在我们的士兵 我的儿子们
when our boys, my sons,
在外打仗
are out the there fighting an actual war?
争夺学术成果所有权吗
Besides, Hilbert is a top-rate mathematician.
再者说 希尔伯特是位顶级的数学家
You'd be foolish to try to match his pace.
你想跟上他的速度 不太现实
Max, this is all I have.
麦克斯 这是我的全部
Life is more than work, Albert.
生活不止眼前的工作 阿尔伯特
I am about to embark on a great folly.
我要开始做件蠢事了
普鲁士学院我要开始做件蠢事了
This will be the first of four lectures.
这是四堂讲座的第一节
I will certainly be dubbed mad,
你们肯定会觉得我疯了
but by the last lecture, I will either have tamed this beast
但课程结束之前 我不是将这头”野兽”驯服
or will have been trampled by it.
就是被这头”野兽”宰割
The Lagrangian must be constructed in such a way
拉格朗日方程必须建立在
as to respect the transformations we saw.
尊重我们已知的变换上
Now we can attempt to construct various field equations,
现在我们可以尝试建立各种场方程了
analogous to what Maxwell wrote on electromagnetism.
类似于麦克斯韦所建立的电磁方程
This equation works for planetary orbits that never shift.
这个方程适用于从不变化的行星轨道
But here the constant shift in mercury's orbit due to
但眼前不变的水星轨道
the constant gravitational pull of the sun should.
是太阳恒定的万有引力所导致的
Have you solved it, Professor Einstein?
你解决了吗 爱因斯坦教授
Not quite yet, but the beast is cowering,
还没有 但我可以确定的是
that's for sure!
"野兽"开始畏缩了
If only they'd let women into the academy.
要是他们同意女人进入学院就好了
What I wouldn't give to see Albert sweat out
我愿意付出一切
his calculations in front of an audience.
看到阿尔伯特在观众面前手忙脚乱地计算
It says here he doesn't sleep, stays up all hours
据说他不睡觉
of the night, working.
通宵工作
He should be applying his mind to more urgent matters.
他应该专心解决更要紧的问题
You certainly are puffing yourself up
你穿得这么隆重
just for making gunpowder, aren't you?
就为了制造火药 是不是
I am doing much more than making gunpowder.
我可不仅仅是制造火药
六年前
By forcing air over the iron
在强压下六年前
and potassium hydroxide promoter at such intense pressure,
将空气过火 并经氢氧化钾催化
卡尔斯鲁厄大雪
the hydrogen from natural gasses
天然气中的氢气
combines with nitrogen from the air,
与空气中的氮气结合
producing pure liquid ammonia,
可产生纯净的液氨
containing the form of nitrogen most easily consumed
这是最容易被植物消耗的
by plant life.
氮素形态
That is not enough to feed one common ficus.
这不足以供最常见的榕属植物消耗
We'll build a large-scale, high-pressure reactor that would.
我们会建造能产生足够液氨的大规模高压反应器
Blow up a small town?
炸毁一座小城镇吗
The pressure you would need to produce ammonia
你所需要的可以大量产氨的压强
in large quantities would explode any reactor on earth.
足以炸毁地球上的任何反应器
Were you going to inform us of this risk, Herr Haber?
你是要告知我们其中的危险吗 哈伯先生
We can build a new reactor.
我们可以建造一个新的反应器
Bigger, stronger.
更大 更强
Of course, it will take money, quite a lot of it.
当然了 需要花费很多金钱
Gentlemen, Germany will go hungry without fertilizer.
先生们 没有肥料 德国人就要挨饿了
And, I do understand the difficulty of industrializing such a process.
当然 我也明白工业化这一进程的困难性
But what's in this beaker is already most of the way toward
但这个烧杯中的东西离
a feat no one thought possible.
无人认为可以实现的壮举已经很接近了
I have devised a way to pull nitrogen out of thin air.
我已想出办法 凭空产生氮气
I imagine there would be profit to be had in feeding the world.
我觉得要养活全世界是有利益可言的
No?
不是吗
Albert.
阿尔伯特
Dear God, have you been eating?
天啊 你吃过东西吗
With the war rations, nobody's been eating.
按照战争的限量供应 没有人能吃东西
You need rest.
你需要休息
Your ulcer.
你有胃溃疡
Relativity is at my fingertips, Elsa.
相对论已唾手可得了 爱尔莎
I can almost touch it.
我甚至能摸到了
The universe isn't going anywhere, Albert.
宇宙又不会跑 阿尔伯特
A little sleep will do you good.
小睡一会儿对你有好处
I had a glorious breakthrough today, Elsa.
我今天有了重大突破 爱尔莎
Michele wrote to you five times.
米凯勒给你写了五封信
You'd know if you didn't disappear under a rock
要不是你躲在书堆底下埋头苦干
when you throw yourself into work.
你早就知道了
When you didn't answer, he finally wrote to me.
你不回信 他就写给了我
Has something happened?
发生什么事了吗
- The boys. - They're fine.
-孩子们 -他们没事
It's Mileva.
是米列娃
She's been suffering from heart troubles
她饱受心脏问题的困扰
and is recovering in the hospital.
目前在医院治疗
Who's taking care of Eduard and Hans Albert?
谁在照顾爱德华和汉斯
Michele is looking after them.
米凯勒在照顾他们
Then they are in good hands.
那他们就没事了
Don't worry yourself over Mileva.
别担心米列娃
She'll be fine.
她会没事的
She does this.
她总是这样
The woman craves attention.
这女人渴望被关注
But your boys need you.
但你的儿子们需要你
I'll write to Michele at once.
我马上给米凯勒写信
I'll be there for them as soon as I finish my lectures.
我演讲后马上就过去照顾他们
Dr Einstein?
爱因斯坦博士
Georg Nicolai.
我是葛罗格·尼古莱
I am acquainted with Elsa.
我认识爱尔莎
Surely she has mentioned me?
她一定提起过我吧
The committee?
委员会的事
I'm afraid I have no idea what you're talking about, sir.
先生 我不太清楚你在说什么
You see, I'm the leader of a new caucus
我是一个新党团议会的领导人
advocating against the war.
提倡反战
I wish you good luck with it.
祝你好运
All it would take is a signature.
只需要你签个字就行
To show that men of science like yourself stand against
表示像你这样的科学家
the treachery of war.
是反对战争的
It's not that I don't sympathize with your mission, sir.
不是我不支持你的事业
But I'm a scientist, not a politician.
但我是科学家 不是政治家
I've made a name for myself by refusing to sign my name.
我已经因为拒绝签字而出名了
Good day.
再见
Albert?
阿尔伯特
This just came for you.
这个刚刚到
From Hilbert.
希尔伯特寄来的
He's done it.
他成功了
He's completed the last equation.
他解出了最后一个方程
He's defeated me.
他打败了我
I'm so sorry, Albert.
我很遗憾 阿尔伯特
I was so close, Max.
就差一点 麦克斯
The theory is still yours.
理论仍旧是你的
No one can take that away from you.
在这点上没人能和你争
The final calculation?
最终的计算结果
Merely a footnote.
无非是个脚注
And, at least now you can
而且 至少你现在可以
go see your boys, yes?
去见你的儿子们了 不是吗
Thank you for looking after them, Michele.
多谢你照顾他们 米凯勒
But you won't have to be burdened
但你再也不用忍受
by these two rascals much longer,
这两个捣蛋鬼了
the doctor says I can go home in two days!
医生说我两天内就可以回家了
Just in time!
刚刚好
Just in time for what?
什么刚刚好
I received a letter.
我收到一封信
From Albert.
阿尔伯特寄来的
He is coming to Zurich.
他要来苏黎世
Isn't it wonderful, mama?
是不是很棒 妈妈
By order of the federal council,
根据联邦委员会的命令
all Swiss borders have been closed due to the war!
瑞士所有边境都因为战争被封锁了
This train and all passengers will be turned back to Germany.
这列火车和所有乘客都要返回德国
Excuse me.
打扰一下
I have a Swiss passport, here let me show you.
我有瑞士护照 我给你看
The train is going back, sir.
这列火车要返程 先生
But I must see my sons.
但我一定要见我的儿子们
Their mother is ill, surely.
他们的母亲病了
No exceptions, sir.
没有例外 先生
By order of the federal council,
根据联邦委员会的命令
all Swiss borders have been closed due to the war!
瑞士所有边境都因为战争被封锁了
It's getting cold.
越来越冷了
Come inside, Hans. Have some cocoa.
进来吧 汉斯 喝点可可
Just a little longer, uncle Michele.
再等一会 米凯勒叔叔
He's coming.
他会来的
I know it.
我确定
哈伯府
战时柏林哈伯府
Good evening, sir.
晚上好 长官
Frau Haber, I presume.
你是哈伯太太吧
I have an appointment with your husband.
我和你丈夫有约
At this hour?
都这个点了
Would you inform him that General Lehning
能否告知他 雷宁将军
is here to see him.
来见他了
No need, this way.
不必了 这边请
A glorious day!
伟大的一天
It's raining, Professor Einstein.
下雨了 爱因斯坦教授
Let it rain!
让它下吧
Hilbert made a mistake!
希尔伯特犯了个错误
And so, when the next eclipse
并且 下一次日食
is upon us, these calculations will explain,
到来的时候 这些计算结果可以一劳永逸地
once and for all, relativity
解释相对论
and the reason for mercury's pesky orbit around the sun.
还能解释水星围绕太阳运转的奇怪轨道
There,
看吧
it is complete.
完成了
Clara?
克拉拉
Clara, what a nice surprise.
克拉拉 真意外啊
But there's little use in freezing to death before our time.
别在外面挨冻了
- Shall we? - How are the boys?
-好吗 -孩子们好吗
Do tell me some news of them.
告诉我他们的近况
Clara, what is it?
克拉拉 到底什么事
Surely you haven't come for news of my boys.
你不会是为我儿子的近况而来
I'm worried about Fritz.
我很担心弗里茨
He disappears all hours of the day and night.
他已经一整天没有消息了
And he's always wearing that damn uniform,
他总是穿着那套该死的制服
like a child playing dress up.
就像小孩在玩换装游戏
I wouldn't be concerned this.
如果我是你就不会为此担心
He's only helping Rathenau produce gunpowder.
他只是在协助拉特瑙生产火药
He's working on something else, Albert.
他在做其他的事 阿尔伯特
Something terrible.
很严重的事
I cannot live with a man who engineers death.
我不能和制造死亡的人一起过啊
It's abominable.
这太可憎了
Have you ever seen men twisting in agony
你见过战场上的人被子弹射穿
on the battlefield, shot through with bullets?
痛苦地挣扎吗
Or witnessed the horror in an infirmary
或者见过医院里败血症
as sepsis overtakes a body?
夺走人们生命的恐怖场景
That's abominable, Albert.
那才可憎 阿尔伯特
This, this is humane.
这是人道的
You'd burn a man's insides,
这会灼伤人的内脏
make him drown in his own phlegm?
最终让他被自己的痰呛死
They're slaughtering our boys.
他们正在屠杀我们的人
Because we attacked them.
那也是因为我们先袭击他们
Are you taking their side?
你是在支持他们吗
I'm taking the side of humanity.
我是在支持人性
Sitting on your hands.
你还是作壁上观吧
That's a convenient vantage point from which to judge.
这样才更利于你判断孰是孰非
Great men of history aren't remembered for doing nothing, Albert.
历史上的伟人可不是因不作为被铭记的 阿尔伯特
They are remembered for taking action when no one else would.
他们因为他人置身事外时有所作为而被人铭记
I see, so you're doing this for glory.
我明白了 你这么做是为了荣誉
No, I'm doing it to save lives.
不 我是为拯救生命
Fritz, you're not making any sense.
弗里茨 你这是强词夺理
We will only need to use it once.
我们只需要用一次
The French, the Russians, they will see the power we wield
法国人 沙俄人 他们会看到我们的武力
and will have no choice but to surrender
为了避免更多的伤亡
before any more people die.
他们将别无选择只能投降
My friend, listen to me.
我的朋友 听我说
You don't have to go through with this.
你不必完成它
It's not too late.
现在还来得及
We're scientists.
我们是科学家
Not purveyors of death and destruction.
不是死亡和毁灭的传播者
During times of peace a scientist belongs to the world.
在和平时期 科学家属于世界
But during times of war, he belongs to his country.
但是在战争时期 他属于他的国家
Peace cannot be kept by force, Fritz.
武力是无法维持和平的 弗里茨
It can only be achieved by understanding.
只有理解才能实现和平
Do you know, Max?
你知情吗 麦克斯
What Fritz has been working on?
弗里茨最近在做的事
普朗克·卡尔116兵团
Max?
麦克斯普朗克·卡尔116兵团
They say they will give him a medal, a medal.
他们说会给他一枚勋章 一枚勋章
Max.
麦克斯
He was killed at a battle in Verdun.
他死于凡尔登[法国东北部城市]的一场战役
They told me he faced his final moments with great courage.
他们告诉我他临终时非常勇敢
I'm sure he did.
我想是这样的
You really think so?
你真这么想
Because all I can picture is the little boy who ran into my arms
因为我脑海里浮现的全是被邻居的狗吓到后
when the neighbor's dog barked at him.
跑进我怀里的那个小男孩
That little boy, lying in a cold field
那个小男孩 现在却躺在寒冷的旷野中
without his papa to hold him.
再也回不到爸爸温暖的怀抱
God, I can only imagine how scared he must have been.
天啊 我只能想象他一直以来有多害怕
You should be with your family.
你应该和家人在一起
Come, come, I'll take you home.
来 我送你回家
You were right to defy Rathenau's call to arms.
你反抗拉特瑙号召战争的行为是对的
Right and wrong become blurred in times like these.
这种情况下 对与错也不好分辨了
I signed their damn war manifesto.
我签了他们那该死的战争宣言
And now it feels like I signed my own son's death warrant.
现在看来就像是签了我儿子的死刑令
We can't just stand by any longer, can we?
我们不能再袖手旁观了 是吗
阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦
Your good name will draw the attention we need.
您的名声会为我们带来需要的关注
I'm afraid the attention may not be what you want.
我担心这样的关注并不是你想要的
Many of my opponents think I'm a traitor for opposing the war.
很多我的反对者因我反对战争而视我为叛徒
To stand for your principles when all others
在其他人都遗忘原则时依然坚持
have forgotten theirs isn't traitorous.
你的原则 并不是背叛
It's patriotic.
这才是爱国
The wind is picking up, sir.
起风了 先生
Inform the general we are ready.
通知将军一切就绪
法国军队战壕第二次伊普尔战役
To a true hero!
敬一位真正的英雄
The English papers are calling Captain Haber's gas
英国报纸称哈伯队长的毒气为
the "Death cloud."
"死亡之云"
The enemy will surely surrender soon,
敌人必然会很快投降的
thanks to our gracious host, to Captain Haber!
这都归功于我们伟大的主人 敬哈伯队长
To Captain Haber!
敬哈伯队长
Yes, well, um, thank you.
好的 谢谢大家
But even victory isn't worth letting a fine lamb shank
但是即使胜利也不该让上好的羊腿肉
turn cold, so, please.
变凉 请享用吧
I've heard rumors the Kaiser himself is to bestow
我听说德皇要亲自授予
a medal on your husband.
你的丈夫一枚勋章
You must be very proud, Frau Haber.
你一定很自豪 哈伯太太
Whatever grand invention will you contrive next, Captain Haber?
接下来你还会设计什么伟大的发明 哈伯队长
At the moment, I'm still trying to perfect this one.
目前 我还在努力完善这一个
We need a more efficient means to deploy the gas.
我们需要更高效的方式来调配毒气
I think it's quite efficient already.
我觉得已经相当高效了
Clara!
克拉拉
No, no, no.
不 不
德国 柏林停战日
The war is over!
战争结束了德国 柏林停战日
Troops to return home.
军队要回家了德国 柏林停战日
Armistice signed!
停战协议签署了
The war is over!
战争结束了
Albert?
阿尔伯特
The Kaiser has fled.
德国皇帝逃跑了
The war is finished.
战争结束了
Thank God, Elsa.
感谢上帝 艾尔莎
战争结束了
It says here we're a democracy now.
据说现在我们这里是民主主义了战争结束了
Demokratia, rule by the people.
民主主义 人民当家做主了
Let's hope the people have their heads on straight.
希望老百姓保得住脑袋
Oh, my love.
亲爱的
Don't fill your brilliant head fill with gloomy thoughts.
别让你聪明的脑子充满阴郁的念头
It's finally finished.
终于还是结束了
Yet I cannot help but feel somehow
可我仍然忍不住感到
it's only just begun.
这才只是开始
Troops to return home!
军队回家了
Armistice signed!
停战协议签订了
The war is over!
战争结束了
Please, spare some coin?
求求你 施舍点吧
Albert, there's a telegram for you.
阿尔伯特 有你的电报
Britain, the United States, Russia,
英国 美国 沙俄
they all want reparations.
他们都要索取赔偿
France is threatening to occupy the Ruhr if we don't pay.
法国威胁说 如不赔偿就侵占鲁尔区
Forgiveness never comes cheap.
宽恕的代价向来不菲
It's from Arthur Eddington.
这是亚瑟·爱丁顿发来的
阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦
What is it?
写了什么阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦
A silver lining, it seems.
似乎是黑暗中的一线希望阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦
"U-boats no longer threat, stop.
"德国潜艇不再是威胁了
Will sail to Africa, will photograph eclipse, stop."
将驶往非洲 拍摄日食"
Albert, that's wonderful news.
阿尔伯特 这消息太棒了
"Relativity proof imminent, stop."
"相对论的验证即将来临"
I cannot wait to read that in the scientific journals,
我真迫不及待想在科学期刊上读到
hopefully with a little more flair.
希望还能有些品味
What is it?
怎么了
You can forget about the journals, Albert.
别提期刊了 阿尔伯特
When you're proved right, your name is going be printed in
如果你被证明是对的 你的大名会出现在
every newspaper around the entire globe.
全世界所有的报纸上
You'll be famous.
你会出名的
Don't be silly.
别傻了.
I'm a scientist.
我是科学家
They'll want interviews.
他们会想要采访你
They'll want to know all about your life.
会想要知道你的所有生活琐事
Your family, me.
你的家庭 还有我
We'll tell them you are my social secretary.
我们可以告诉他们 你是我的社交秘书
It took the neighbors a couple of months.
邻居们花了几个月就发现
Imagine the journalists clambering for a story,
想想那些对故事揪住不放的记者
how long until they discover that you are living in sin,
他们过多久会发现你和
with a divorce, who is your first cousin?
你离了婚的堂姐同居在一起呢
Who cares what they think.
谁在乎他们怎么想呢
I care.
我在乎
Elsa, I've asked Mileva for a divorce
艾尔莎 我用尽了各种能想到的方式
in every way imaginable.
请求米列娃离婚
Then you must ask her again.
那你就该再去请求她
Make her an offer of some kind.
给她一点好处
We don't have any more Deutschmarks to give!
我们再也没有钱可以给了
Fritz does. He would lend to you.
弗里茨有 他会借给你的
I cannot take blood money from that warmonger.
我不能要那个战争贩子沾着血的钱
Well you had better think of something.
那你最好想个办法
Because it's one thing for me to withstand the shaming stares
虽然我抵抗得了那些邻居
of our neighbors.
充满羞辱的目光
But you cannot expect me to do that
但别指望我能
in front of the entire world.
与全世界对抗
I need the divorce.
我必须要离婚
Are you asking me?
是你在请求我
Or is it Elsa?
还是艾尔莎
I'm sorry I could not be what you needed, Mileva.
很抱歉我做不了你需要的人 米列娃
What about Hans and Eduard?
汉斯和爱德华怎么办
All they needed was a reliable father.
他们需要只是一个可靠的父亲
You took them away from me.
是你把他们从我身边带走的
I didn't.
我没有
A British astronomer is heading for Africa in a few months time
英国天文学家几个月后会前往非洲
to capture the solar eclipse.
去抓拍日食的照片
The first one in years.
数年来的第一次
You're sure you're right this time?
这次你真确定自己是对的
Your equations are co-variant?
你的方程是协变的
Yes.
They will define the general relativity
他们会定义所有运动形式的
of all forms of motion.
广义相对论
It's an extraordinary achievement.
这是个伟大的成就
And you were there to help me
而你曾在一开始
at the beginning of it all.
帮助过我
I will never forget that.
我永远不会忘记
Recognition from the greatest scientist in the world.
得到全世界最伟大的科学家的认可
At last.
真不容易
My career is complete.
我的人生算是圆满了
There's already much discussion of a Nobel.
关于诺贝尔奖也已经有所讨论了
You know, it comes with a great deal of prize money.
你知道 会有很多奖金的
I want you to have it.
我希望给你
All of it.
全都给你
You want to pay me for a divorce.
你想通过付钱来离婚
You deserve to be taken care of, Dollie.
你应该受到照顾的 洋娃娃
Do not call me that.
别这么叫我
I'm offering you more money than either of us
我是把比我们见过的
has ever seen, Mileva.
都要多的钱给你 米列娃
You need this.
你用得上
Don't be proud.
别太高傲
Get out.
出去
If not for you, do it for the boys.
就算不为你着想 也想想孩子们
I said get out!
我叫你出去
What more do you want from me?
你还想从我这儿得到什么
Why are you doing this to yourself, Mother?
你为什么要为难自己 母亲
He obviously wants nothing to do with us.
他很明显不想跟我们有任何关系
He hasn't since he left me sitting on that step.
自从他让我坐在台阶枯等后就跟我们没关系了
Just give him what he wants.
就把他想要的给他吧
He'll be out of our lives and we can all move forward,
他会离开我们的生活 我们都能向前看
once and for all.
一劳永逸
Well?
怎么样
She finally agreed.
她终于同意了
But it comes with a terrible price.
但代价非常高昂
State the reason for your divorce.
说明你们离婚的原因
Adultery, Herr Richter.
通奸 里克特先生
And who is the guilty party?
过错方是谁
I am, Herr Richter.
是我 里克特先生
I have been living with Elsa Einstein, divorced Lowenthal,
我跟爱尔莎·爱因斯坦同居大约四年了
for approximately four years,
她的前夫是洛文托
and have had continued intimate relations with her.
我也持续跟她有亲密关系
Did you bring proof?
你有带证据来吗
She's the woman sitting behind me, Herr Richter.
她是坐在我身后的女人 里克特先生
Well, please indicate to the court, where she is.
请向法庭指认她在哪里
Is this true, madam?
这是真的吗 夫人
Yes, Herr Richter.
是的 里克特先生
The provisions of the divorce state that
两位的离婚条款规定
Mileva Maric, married Einstein, will receive
米列娃·马里奇 夫姓爱因斯坦 会收到
an annual stipend of 9,000 Deutschmarks.
每年九千马克的津贴
Adding to this, Professor Einstein promises her
除此之外 爱因斯坦教授承诺
the full proceeds of a Nobel prize, should he be awarded it.
如果他获得诺贝尔奖 会将全额奖金给她
Very well.
很好
On to the children.
至于孩子
Mileva Maric is to retain full custody in Zurich,
米列娃·马里奇将在苏黎世保留全部监护权
and the boys shall not be permitted to
孩子不可获准
visit their father in Berlin.
到柏林探视父亲
Professor, do you object?
教授 你反对吗
No, I do not object.
不 我不反对
Dr and Mrs Einstein, over here!
爱因斯坦博士 夫人 请看这里
剑桥大学 1919年
Dr Einstein, Dr Einstein!
爱因斯坦博士 爱因斯坦博士剑桥大学 1919年
What did you do when you first heard that Mr Eddington
你第一次听到爱丁顿先生证明你的理论正确时
had proved your theory correct?
你做了什么呢
Well, I went back to work.
我就继续工作了
And I bought myself a new violin.
我也为自己买了一把新小提琴
Mr Eddington, what did your photographs prove exactly?
爱丁顿先生 你的照片到底证实了什么
That gravity bends light passing next to the sun
重力会弯折经过太阳旁边的光束
by approximately 1.7 arc seconds,
角度约1.7弧秒
just as Dr Einstein predicted.
符合爱因斯坦博士的预测
Meaning what?
意思是
Meaning, gentlemen, that the greatest of all
意思是 先生们 最伟大的
scientific generalizations, the laws of Sir Isaac Newton,
科学性概括 艾萨克·牛顿爵士的定律
have just received their first major modification
刚刚受到超过两世纪以来
in over two centuries.
首次重大的修正
We are all witness to one of the most resplendent achievements
我们都目睹了在我们有生之年
of human thought in our lifetime.
人类思想最辉煌的成就之一
Write that down.
把这个写下来
Relativity is a hoax.
相对论是个骗局
Doctor Lenard, it was just proven by Arthur Eddington.
勒纳博士 亚瑟·爱丁顿刚证实相对论
What happens at the next eclipse, when the results vary?
如果下次日蚀发生时结果不同 那怎么办
You will look like fools.
你们会看起来像傻子
我们的发现改变科学
Our discoveries changed science
诺贝尔研究所瑞典斯德哥尔摩我们的发现改变科学
because they were grounded in facts.
因为它们以事实为基础诺贝尔研究所瑞典斯德哥尔摩
They weren't philosophical conjectures cloaked
它们不是哲学猜想 披着
in equations designed to deceive.
以欺骗为目的的方程式的外衣
As the Nobel selection committee,
身为诺贝尔奖评选委员会
it is your duty to know the difference.
你们应该负责区别其中差异
They're giving it to Max Planck.
他们要颁奖给马克思·普朗克
Well, you always said it was a shame
你之前总说很可惜
how the Nobel committee overlooked him all these years.
诺贝尔奖委员会这么多年都忽略他
They're giving it to Fritz, too.
他们也颁奖给弗里茨
In Chemistry.
化学奖
For his nitrogen trick.
奖励他的氮把戏
Quite a year for the Prussian Academy.
普鲁士科学院今年真是大丰收
Well, I'm sure a lovely celebration will be in order.
我相信一定会举办一场盛大的庆祝
I'm not going if Fritz is to be honored.
如果弗里茨得奖 我才不参加
Albert, if you insist on condemning a man for his mistakes
阿尔伯特 如果你坚持谴责一个人的过错
you must be willing to applaud him for his triumphs.
你也必须愿意为他的胜利喝采
Fritz didn't start the war.
弗里茨并没有宣战
He's responsible for thousands of deaths.
他得为数千人的死亡负责
He also saved half of Europe from starvation.
他也让半个欧洲免于饥荒
Doesn't that mean something?
这难道不算什么吗
I cannot congratulate a killer
我无法祝贺一个杀手
and call myself a pacifist.
同时自称为和平主义者
But if you insist that the worst disputes
但如果你认为两个交战国家之间
between two warring nations can be resolved,
最严重的分歧都能解决
then can't two old friends make peace?
那为什么两位老朋友不能和好
普鲁士科学院 1919年
Albert!
阿尔伯特普鲁士科学院 1919年
What can I say, old friend?
我该说什么呢 老朋友
It's about time they honored you.
他们早该颁奖给你了
How many years has it been since you discovered light quanta?
你发现光量子已经多少年了
About 3,000.
大概三千年了吧
Truly, Max, congratulations.
马克思 真是太恭喜你了
It should have been yours.
这个奖应该颁给你的
Nonsense.
胡说
You deserve it more than any man in this room.
你比这个房间里的任何人都有资格得奖
Excuse me, Dr Planck?
抱歉打扰 普朗克博士
We'll talk.
晚点聊
Albert.
阿尔伯特
A Nobel in Chemistry, that is something.
诺贝尔化学奖 真是了不起啊
I'm not a genius like you, Albert.
我不像你是个天才 阿尔伯特
All I did was see a problem and find a way to fix it.
我所做的只是看见问题 找到方法解决而已
That's what I try to do, I suppose.
我想那是我努力的目标
Fix things.
解决问题
Yes, of course.
对 当然
Or destroy them.
或是摧毁它们
That is entirely unfair.
这很不公平
Did you not invent a new way to destroy human life?
你不是发明了一种新方法杀人吗
Yes, but that was not my only innovation.
没错 但这不是我唯一的发明
I'm being honored tonight for the good I've done.
今晚是表彰我所做的有益之事
Life cannot be balanced
弗里茨 人生并不能
like an equation, Fritz.
像公式一样平衡
Good deeds do not erase the evil ones.
好坏并不能相互抵消
I certainly pray to God you're wrong for once, Albert.
我真心对天祈祷你能错一次 阿尔伯特
Perhaps I have been too harsh.
或许我一直太严苛了
Perhaps you haven't.
或许你没有
I never told you, Fritz,
我从来没告诉过你 弗里茨
how sorry I was, about Clara.
我对克拉拉的事有多抱歉
We couldn't manage to hold on
我们没能留住
to the more brilliant ones, could we?
那些更出色的人 对吗
Gentlemen, smile!
先生们 微笑
一般相对论的实验验证
He didn't even win the Nobel
他甚至都没有赢得诺贝尔奖一般相对论的实验验证
and yet still he graces our front pages.
但还是在头版耀武扬威一般相对论的实验验证
And not only in Berlin.
不只是柏林
Frankfurt, Paris, London, New York, Tokyo,
法兰克福 巴黎 伦敦 纽约 东京
I could go on.
还有很多地方
All about "General relativity," yes.
都在说"广义相对论" 没错
Relativity, politics, his hair,
相对论 政治 他的头发
what he ate for breakfast.
他早餐吃了什么
It's despicable.
太下作了
It's to be expected.
也是意料之中的事
He's a Jew.
他是个犹太人
A publicity-seeking Jew who uses his influence
一个想用自己的影响获利
for his own profit.
一心想要曝光率的犹太人
Well now, Herr Weyland, I didn't quite say all that.
现在 威兰德先生 我可没这么说
You are standing in the German national people's party
你站在德国国家人民党总部
headquarters, Dr. Lenard, we aren't afraid
勒纳博士 我们在这里并不害怕
to speak the truth here.
说真相
In fact, I imagine my candor is the very reason
实际上 我觉得你正是因为
you've come to see me.
我的坦率来见我的吧
Now, please, what can I do for you?
我能为你做些什么
I have a proposition to make,
我有一个提议
but one with which I cannot afford to be publicly associated.
但我不能公开和这个提议扯上任何关系
You can be assured of my discretion.
你尽管放心 我会守口如瓶的
I read your paper denouncing relativity.
我读过你谴责相对论的论文
I think you deserve a wider audience.
我觉得你应该被更多人注意到
Albert Einstein has engaged in a profit-grubbing
在我们国家遭受侵略和羞辱时
promotion of his theory,
阿尔伯特·爱因斯坦却在
as our country suffers deprivation and indignity.
宣传他的理论谋取利益
And for what?
为了什么呢
For a lie, for a hoax.
为了一个谎言 一场骗局
For a deception unlike any other.
一次前所未有的欺诈
Over the next two days,
明后天
you will hear from Germany's most preeminent scholars,
会有德国最杰出的学者联系你
who will show you exactly
他们会向你展示
how we've all been hoodwinked by one enormous bluff.
我们到底是怎么被他的虚张声势唬住的
Hear, hear!
说得对
Oh, apologies.
很抱歉
Continue, Dr. Weyland.
请继续 威兰德博士
We all eagerly await your scholarly proof.
我们都翘首以盼你的学术论证
I'm sure it will be very interesting.
一定很有趣
What in God's name were you thinking?!
你到底在想什么
It was a public lecture and I was curious,
这是个公开课 我也很好奇
so I went.
所以我就去了
I admit I didn't expect much, but I also didn't expect it
我承认我没什么期待 但我也没想到
to be a packed house of anti-Semitic imbeciles.
会是满屋子反犹太人的笨蛋
What are you doing?
你在干什么
Writing to the Berliner Tageblatt
给柏林日报写
to give my honest critique.
我中肯的评价
Albert, stop.
阿尔伯特 别闹了
You are sticking your hand into a hornet's nest.
你这是往枪口上撞
These men are vindictive and dangerous.
这些人睚眦必报 很危险
This world is dangerous, Elsa,
这个世界太危险了 爱尔莎
not because of those who do evil,
并不是因为那些作恶多端的人
but because of those who look on and do nothing.
而是因为那些无所作为的看客
I cannot do nothing.
我没法什么都不做
"I admire Lenard as a master of experimental physics.
我很敬仰勒纳 因为他是实验物理的大师
But he has not yet produced anything outstanding
但他在理论物理中
in theoretical physics."
没有任何杰出贡献
He wrote that?
他写的吗
On the front of the damn newspaper!
在该死的报纸头版
Jewish publishers, of course.
当然是犹太人的报纸了
"Lenard's objections to the general theory of relativity
勒纳对广义相对论的反对
are of such superficiality that, up until now,
太过浮浅 以至于至今
I did not think it necessary to answer them.
我都觉得没有任何回应的必要
I intend to make up for this."
而我现在想要回复他
It's an affront!
这是对我的羞辱
I will not stand for it!
我不会默不作声的
Why would he assume that you had anything to do
他为什么会觉得你跟那些讲座
with that lecture series?
有任何关系
You did not even attend!
你都没有参加
That huckster Weyland listed me
威兰德大吹大擂地把我列为
as a coming lecturer in the program.
项目中讲师
No doubt trying to add my prestige to his cause.
无意是想借用我的声望替他宣传
But it doesn't matter,
但这都无所谓了
Einstein obviously desires a public battle,
爱因斯坦显然想要一场公开的战斗
perhaps it's time I enlisted some public allies.
或许是时候我召集几位同盟了
德国国家社会主义工人党