Do you know what Fritz has been working on?
你知道弗里茨最近在做什么吗
He's responsible for thousands of deaths.
他得为数千人的死亡负责
You may have changed your religion,
你可能改变了自己的宗教信仰
but don't think for a second you can change your heritage.
但不可能改变你的传统
But if the worst disputes between warring nations
两个交战国家之间最严重的分歧
can be resolved, can't two old friends make peace?
都能解决 那为什么两位老朋友不能和好
I would like you to meet my good friend, Dr. Niels Bohr.
我想让你见见我的好朋友 尼尔斯·波尔博士
Are you familiar with Heisenberg's uncertainty principle?
你熟悉海森堡不确定性原理吗
What about Margot and Ilse?
玛戈特跟伊尔泽怎么办
They're determined to make their lives here.
她们决定在这里继续生活
Perhaps they'll change their minds once they see how happy
或许她们会改变心意 只要她们发现
a person can be in New Jersey.
住在新泽西有多快乐
I am conducting this inquiry at the request
我是受约翰·埃德加·胡佛先生的委托
- of Mr. J. Edgar Hoover. - Hoover?
-来进行此次调查的 -胡佛
What does he want with me?
他想要我怎么样
Dr. Lenard, it's an honor.
勒纳博士 非常荣幸
He's expecting you, sir.
他正在等你 先生
Welcome to the Nazi Party, Dr. Lenard.
欢迎加入纳粹党 勒纳博士
The intelligence is thin, I'll admit,
但如果内容属实 那么最高机密
but if it's accurate, well, then...
但如果内容属实 那么
we'd all better start learning to speak German as well as you do.
我们最好都像你一样开始学好德语
What else you got?
还有什么情报
That's why you're here.
所以才找你来
We may have the Jerries on their heels,
我们暂时是让德国佬有所忌惮
but if this Heisenberg character is indeed close to building
但如果这个海森堡真的快要研发出了
What do you want me to do?
你想让我做什么
It's a Walther PPK.
这是把瓦尔特自动手枪
A Swiss friend of ours has invited Heisenberg
一位瑞士的朋友邀请了海森堡去参加
to lecture in Zurich in December.
十二月在苏黎世举办的演讲
You're gonna be there.
你也要去
If you're captured, it'll appear you smuggled it from Germany.
如果你不幸被抓 会显得你是偷偷从德国带进来的
But if that happens...
但如果真被抓了
swallow the pill. It's quick.
直接吞药吧 药效很快
And it's a hell of a lot less painful
比起纳粹会对你做的那些
than what the Nazis will do to you.
吞药自杀仁慈得多
Your contact is Professor Scherrer
你的联络人是联邦理工学院的联邦理工学院瑞士 苏黎世1944年12月
- of the Federal Polytechnic College. - What's my cover?
-谢勒尔博士 -我的卧底身份是什么
Swiss secondary school physics teacher.
瑞士初中物理老师
Pleasure to meet you, Herr Professor.
幸会 教授先生
Which one is Heisenberg?
海森堡是哪一位
Listen for certain words...
注意这些词
"Fast fission," "Plutonium."
"快中子裂变" "钚"
Good evening, gentlemen,
晚上好 先生们
Thank you for coming.
感谢各位的参与
If anything Heisenberg says leads you to believe
如果海森堡说了什么让你们认为
he is close to constructing a bomb,
他马上就要研发出炸弹了
Congratulations, Dr. Lenard.
恭喜 勒纳博士
The Fuhrer, in his wisdom,
元首聪明睿智
has decided to reward your early support
为了嘉奖你早期的支持
and continued loyalty
和忠心耿耿
by appointing you Chief of Aryan Physics.
决定任命你为雅利安首席物理学家
I am humbled and grateful, Dr. Goebbels.
不胜惶恐 戈培尔博士
Please inform the Fuhrer that my first order of business
请转告元首我任职后的首要任务
will be to reclaim the glory of German science
就是重塑德国科学的光辉
by purging the Prussian Academy
清除普鲁士科学院中
of all foreign and impure influences.
所有的外国人及血统不纯的人的影响
We must do more than inform the Fuhrer.
我们不仅要转告元首
We must inform the people.
我们要告诉全国人民
In a manner that will forever burn this moment
用让这一刻牢牢烙印在
into their memory.
他们的记忆中的方式
The era of exaggerated Jewish intellectualism
言过其实的犹太理性主义时代
The triumph of the German Revolution
德国革命的胜利
has again cleared a path for the German way.
再一次为德国的繁荣开辟了道路
And the future German man will not only be a man of books,
未来的德国人不仅仅有知识
but also a man of character.
而是有骨气的人
And, thus, you do well in this midnight hour
因此 在此午夜时分
to commit to the flames the evil spirit of the past.
你们要将过去的邪恶灵魂付之一炬
- Sieg... - Heil!
-胜利 -万岁
- Sieg... - Heil!
-胜利 -万岁
- Sieg... - Heil!
-胜利 -万岁
- Sieg... - Heil!
-胜利 -万岁
- Sieg... - Heil!
-胜利 -万岁
they have raided our apartment.
他们突袭了我们的公寓
The cottage as well.
还有小屋
What were they hoping to find, my supply of...
他们想找什么 我私藏的
Margot says that they were looking for guns.
玛戈特说他们在找枪
They claimed to have intelligence
说是有情报表明
that you were hiding them for communist insurgents.
你窝藏了共党叛乱分子
Well, that's a very liberal use of the word "Intelligence."
"情报"这词还真是信手拈来啊
The girls have managed to save most of your papers.
你的大部分论文都被姑娘们藏起来了
What will he use for kindling the next time
他下次想在炉火旁读书的时候
he wishes to read by the fire?
没有用来点火的东西了
- This isn't funny, Albert. - I know.
-这可不是玩笑 阿尔伯特 -我知道
That is why we must fight, Elsa.
这就是我们必须反抗的原因 爱尔莎
Fight Hitler however we can.
尽我们所能 与希特勒斗争
We haven't any guns.
我们可没有枪
I have a voice. I can write.
我有发言权 我可以写文章
I can speak out, tell anyone who will listen
我可以大声演讲 告诉每一个听众
that this man is a threat,
希特勒是个威胁
that other governments must use all peaceful means to oppose him.
其他政府必须用一切和平手段来反对他
Margot says that Ilse's condition is getting worse.
玛戈特说伊尔泽的状态越来越差了
That is not good news, my love.
这可不是好消息 亲爱的
We must get her out of Germany.
我们一定要把她弄出德国
And the rest of our family and friends.
还有咱们其他的家人和朋友
Use your voice for that.
用你的发言权来实现吧
Oh, thank you, Helen.
谢谢 海伦
You go ahead. I'll-I'll be just a moment.
你先去 我这就过来
Flexner has threatened to feed me
弗莱克斯纳说我要是再迟到的话
to the famous Princeton Tigers if I'm late again.
他就把我拿去喂着名的普林斯顿老虎
The Nazis are fanatics.
纳粹就是一帮狂热分子
American capitalists such as yourself
米尔斯先生 像您这样的美国资本家
must refuse to do business with them, Mr. Mills.
一定要拒绝跟他们做生意
I'm surprised a man of your background
教授 我很惊讶您这种背景的人
needs a lesson in capitalism, Professor.
竟然需要进一步了解资本主义
It doesn't work by refusing to do business with people.
拒绝跟别人做生意是行不通的
You're here to attract donors, Albert,
你来这是来吸引募捐者的 阿尔伯特
- not to chase them away. - Oh, my mistake.
-不是来把他们赶跑的 -怪我
I was under the impression my job here was to pursue science,
我以为我来这是要继续追求科学的
not to be the collector for your coffers.
不是给你揽钱的
Most of these people are put off as it is,
大多数人都接到要求
having so many Jews on the faculty.
暂停雇佣犹太职员
They don't want our politics thrown in their faces.
他们可不希望我们用政治责难他们
Albert, look who I have just met.
阿尔伯特 看我遇见谁了
This is Mr. Henry Morgenthau.
这位是亨利·摩根索先生
He is Secretary of the Treasury for Mr. Roosevelt.
他是罗斯福总统的财政部部长
An honor to meet you, Professor.
很荣幸认识您 教授
- A Jewish name? - As a matter of fact, yes.
-犹太名字 -事实上 是的
Bar mitzvah boy in '04.
1904年的时候受戒的
Corned beef on rye.
腌牛肉黑麦面包
A Jew who's also a politician.
一个犹太政客
How very interesting.
真有趣
Albert, I was thinking maybe Mr. Morgenthau
阿尔伯特 我想摩根索先生
could give us some advice
可能会给我们一些
on getting our friends out of Germany.
把朋友从德国弄出来的建议
- On your feet, you kike. - Move! Move!
-站起来 你个犹太佬 -走 走
Where are you taking them?
你要把他们带到哪里去
No Jews in government posts.
政府岗位上不允许有犹太人
That includes this laboratory.
这个实验室也不例外
This is an outrage. How am I to continue my work?
这太过分了 我怎么继续我的工作呢
I'm sure you will manage.
我相信你会处理好的
Your people are nothing if not clever.
如果你的人民不聪明 那要他们有什么用
What are you insinuating?
你想暗示什么
We know you were not born a Lutheran.
我们知道你并非生来就是路德教的人
Or would you care to drop your trousers and prove us wrong?
要不你把裤子脱下来验明正身
How-how dare you speak to me in such a manner?
你怎么能跟这么跟我说话
Your Jew-loving friends cannot protect you forever...
您的亲犹太朋友们是无法永远保护您的
Fritz is a German patriot.
弗里茨是德国爱国主义者
He was the first among us to raise his hand in the Great War.
我们这些人中 他是第一个赞成世界大战的
Yes, Philipp, but...
没错 菲利普 但是
there are Jews and, uh...
有人是犹太人 还有人是
and then there are Jews.
总归是有犹太人的
I'm told you have already pressed this matter
我都告诉你了 我已经亲自向元首
with the Fuhrer himself.
提过这个问题了
Did he not give you a clear answer?
他没有给你一个明确的答复吗
Yes, but we cannot turn our backs on Fritz.
他给了 但是我们不能背叛弗里茨
He has been a colleague and a friend for decades.
几十年来他一直都是我们的同事和朋友
Yes, and for decades you supported the likes of Haber
是的 这几十年来当哈伯和爱因斯坦
and Einstein while they destroyed the purity of German science.
玷污德国科学界的纯洁时 你都支持他们
But the Academy is obsolete, Max.
但是学院已经解散了 马克思
I am in charge of science in this country now.
现在这个国家的科学界由我来负责了
Make no mistake, Philipp,
别搞错了 菲利普
the Fuhrer appointed you not for your shining intellect,
元首并不是因为你过人的才智委任你的
but for your depraved politics.
而是因为你堕落的政治观
I'm afraid there's nothing
恐怕我无法为你的朋友
I can do to help your friend Professor Haber.
哈伯教授排忧解难了
No university in America wants the stain
没有任何一所美国大学愿意聘用
of a war criminal on its faculty.
一个带有战犯污点的人
I feared that might happen.
恐怕事情只能这样了
- Poor Fritz. - The good news is
-可怜的弗里茨 -好消息是
the State Department has agreed to issue visas
国务院已经同意给名单上的
to several of those on your list.
一部分人签发了签证
Your son Hans and his family.
令郎汉斯和他的家人
Your wife's daughter, Margot.
您妻子的女儿 玛戈特
But what about my other stepdaughter, Ilse?
但是我的另一个继女 伊尔泽呢
She's sick with tuberculosis.
她得了肺结核
Elsa's gone to Paris to take care of her, but...
爱尔莎已经去巴黎照顾她了 但
we want to bring her here for treatment.
我们想带她来这里治病
The immigration laws
移民法规定
exclude anyone with medical conditions.
要排除所有身体状况不佳的人
No one is admitted who might become a burden to the state.
任何可能会给国家带来负担的人都不能获准
I would, of course, pay for her care.
当然 我会负担她的医疗费用的
I'm afraid we're facing the same obstacle
恐怕 令郎爱德华
with your son, Eduard.
也面临同样的困难
Mr. Secretary, I promised him.
部长先生 我答应过他
Is there any way you can make an exception?
有没有别的什么办法能通融一下
I'm sorry, my hands are tied.
抱歉 我束手无策
Princeton is so lovely.
普林斯顿太美好了
We have a pretty little garden
我们有一个漂亮的小花园
with a magnificent elm tree.
还有一颗巨大的榆树
Albert is getting everyone's visas in order.
阿尔伯特会解决所有人的签证
And soon we shall all be together in our little house.
不久之后我们就可以在我们的小房子里团聚
It's like a slow death,
这就像慢性死亡
all of my good friends leaving.
我所有的好朋友都要离去
I know you did everything you could, Max.
我知道你已经尽力了 麦克斯
Germany has betrayed you, Fritz.
德国背叛了你 弗里茨
The Nazis have betrayed Germany.
是纳粹背叛了德国
But when they are gone,
但当他们失势了
I'll come home. Ja.
我就会回家 没错
Palestine. Imagine that.
巴勒斯坦 想想看
I warned Albert not to get involved with the Zionists,
我警告过阿尔伯特不要介入犹太复国主义
and now it's the only place on God's earth
而现在那是全世界唯一
I seem to be welcome.
能容纳我的地方
Perhaps the climate will be good for your heart.
也许那里的天气对你的心脏有好处
it could use some healing.
我的心需要被治愈
I'm sorry to disturb you, Frau.
抱歉打扰了 夫人
Is there anything I can help you with?
有什么我能帮到你的吗
No, thank you, Helen. I'm all right.
不用 谢谢 海伦 我能行
I just wanted to say again...
我想再重申一下
how very sorry I am about Ilse.
我对伊尔泽的事表示很遗憾
She was very fond of you.
她很喜欢你
You have become part of the family.
你已经成为这个家的一员了
I am honored you would say so.
听你这么说我很荣幸
Perhaps it is time to make you...
也许现在是时候
a signatory on our bank accounts.
把你的名字添加到我们的银行账户上了
I'm not sure I understand.
我不太明白
Albert cannot handle money at all.
阿尔伯特根本不懂理财
He will need you to do it for him.
他会需要你帮他打理的
Your dearest daughter and now this?
先是你最爱的女儿 现在又碰上这事
Oh, Albert, scratching equations
阿尔伯特 解方程式
will not bring Fritz or Ilse back.
并不能使弗里茨或伊尔泽起死回生
I cannot talk about this, Elsa.
我想谈这个 爱尔莎
Who said anything about talking?
谁说要谈了
Come, sit with me.
来 和我一起坐着
It would be so wonderful if you would read to me
如果你能读书给我听就太好了
It will take our minds off our cares.
这可以让我们放松身心
Bohr and Podolsky are expecting me.
波尔和波多尔斯基在等我
They will understand.
他们会理解的
Please, Albert. It's only for a little while.
求你了 阿尔伯特 一小会就行
I cannot keep them waiting.
我不能让他们等着
Albert wrote and asked me to read this to all of you.
阿尔伯特写信给我并让我把它读给你们听
"My good friend Haber was a man of endless curiosity
"我的好朋友哈伯有着无尽的好奇心
and a passion for discovery.
和探索的热情
He wanted to share his genius with his country.
他想要把自己的智慧和祖国分享
That mattered more to him than anything else.
这点对他来说比其他任何事都重要
And thus his bitter end is the tragic story of...
然而他的结局是德国犹太人
...the unrequited love of the German Jew."
不求回报的爱的一个悲剧"
The SS are outside.
党卫军在外面
We must finish before they discover what we are doing.
不能让他们发现我们在干什么
The entire country should be honoring Fritz,
整个国家都应该向弗里茨哀悼
- Dr. Heisenberg. - Instead,
-海森堡博士 -然而
we skulk like cowards.
我们却像懦夫一样东躲西藏
What other choice do we have?
我们还能怎么样
If this is what we have come to,
如果事情到了这个地步
perhaps we should leave like Albert did.
也许我们也该像阿尔伯特一样离开
It is our duty to stay,
我们的职责是留下来
to ensure the future of German science.
保障德国科学界的未来
Art is like science, Albert.
艺术和科学一样 阿尔伯特
It cannot be rushed.
不能着急纽约市
Forgive my impatience, Sergei, but...
原谅我的焦躁 谢尔盖 但是纽约市
how much longer is this going to take?
还要多久做完
An eternity, if you do not hold still.
如果你不能保持不动的话永远好不了
Can you not see that I am working?
你没看到我在工作吗
Aren't you going to introduce me?
你不帮我介绍一下吗
my wife, Margarita.
这是我妻子 玛格丽塔
It's an honor to meet such a great man.
见到这样一位伟人真是荣幸
I would rise to greet you properly, madam,
我很想起身回礼 女士
but unfortunately, your husband has accepted
但不幸的是 你的丈夫收了
a very generous commission from my boss, Mr. Flexner,
我老板弗莱克斯纳先生一大笔钱
designed to keep me permanently silent,
来让我保持永远的安静
immobile and on display.
不得动弹 用来展览
It's off to a fine start.
头起得不错
But I'm afraid you have not made Dr. Einstein
不过恐怕你没把爱因斯坦博士
nearly handsome enough.
刻画得足够英俊
Your wife. She's your cousin.
你的妻子 她是你的表姐
Elsa and I are first cousins.
爱尔莎和我只隔了一代
Well, you Europeans are certainly more permissive than we Yankees.
你们欧洲人果然比我们美国人宽容得多
Speaking of Europe, Mr. President,
说起欧洲 总统先生
- I was hoping... - Come, now, Professor.
-我希望 -行了 教授
I didn't invite the world's most brilliant scientist
我邀请世界上最杰出的科学家共进晚餐
to dinner to talk politics. No.
不是为了讨论政治的 不是
I was hoping you could explain to me
我本想让你给我解释下
this famous relativity theory of yours
你那人尽皆知
that's got everyone scratching their heads.
却又令人费解的相对论
If I explain relativity to you
如果我以你能理解的方式
in a way that you can understand,
为你解释相对论
will you grant me a few moments to discuss Germany?
你会给我点时间来讨论德国问题吗
If you are standing on hot coals,
如果你站在炙热的煤炭上
a second feels like an eternity.
你会觉得度日如年
But when you are in bed with a beautiful woman,
但当你和一个漂亮的女人在床上
an hour passes in a split second.
你就会觉得光阴似箭
That is relativity.
这就是相对论
You win, Professor.
你赢了 教授
But I know what you are going to say.
但我知道你要说什么
You want me to take a stand against Mr. Hitler.
你想让我反对希特勒先生
America must lead the world in opposing him.
美国必须带头反对他
Boycotts, blockades...
抵制 封锁
In a way, I envy the little bastard.
在某种程度上 我羡慕那个小混蛋
He does whatever he wants.
他想做什么做什么
But in this country, no man, not even the president,
但在这个国家 没有人 包括总统
Then you must persuade Congress.
那你必须说服国会
I'm sorry I can't help you, Professor.
我很抱歉我帮不到你 教授
But allow me to offer a small consolation.
但请允许我给你个小小的慰藉
I understand you're applying for citizenship.
我知道你在申请公民身份
I could expedite the process for you.
我可以为你打点一下
But I don't want any special treatment.
但我不想要任何特殊待遇
That's very noble of you, Professor, but
这很高尚 教授
the citizenship test requires a lot of study.
但公民入籍测试需要做很多功课
Promise me you'll save some of that brain power
保证你会为科学研究
Imagine two particles.
想象两颗粒子
Measure their mass.
测量它们的质量
Stick them together.
把它们凑到一起
Let them spring apart.
让它们自己弹开
Their positions and their velocities are related,
它们的位置和速度是相对的
- but... - The uncertainty principle
-但 -不确定性原理
says if we measure the position of one...
说如果我们测量其中一个的位置
- Then we cannot measure its velocity. - Ah.
-那我们就无法测量它的速度 -对
But we can still measure the velocity
但我们还是可以测量
of that second particle.
第二个粒子的速度
And since they are both mathematically related,
因为它们在数学上有相对关系
we can then determine the velocity
我们之后可以计算出
of the first particle,
第一个粒子的速度
so we'd know both its position and velocity
所以我们不用两个都测
without having to measure them both.
就知道两个的位置和速度
Heisenberg's uncertainty principle disproved.
海森堡的不确定性原理是错的
You are vanquished, sir.
你输了 先生
what if the act of measuring the first particle
如果测量第一个粒子这个举动
influenced the second,
会影响第二个粒子
changed it somehow at the time it was measured?
测量的时候就改变第二个粒子怎么办
Impossible. That would be...
不可能 那会是
spooky action at a distance.
鬼魅般超距作用
You're a better poet than you are a scientist.
比起科学家 你是位更好的诗人
and I will offer you generous terms.
我就宽宏大量一下
Well, what did you have in mind?
你脑子里有什么想法了
Elsa has made some wonderful strudel.
爱尔莎做了一些美味的果馅奶酪卷
Bring us some strudel!
给我们拿点果馅奶酪卷
I've been calling you.
我一直在叫你
It's as we suspected, Mrs. Einstein.
正如我们所怀疑的 爱因斯坦夫人
Late stages of myocarditis.
晚期心肌炎
how do we treat it?
我们怎么治疗
I'll give you some time to be alone with your husband.
我给你和你丈夫一点独处的时间
How could you keep this from me?
你怎么可以瞒着我
I didn't want to worry you.
我不想让你担心
so much else in your mind.
太多其他东西要担心了
Your science, your committees...
你的科学事业 你的委员会
Helen can take me home.
海伦会带我回家的
You can go to work.
你可以去工作了
I know that is what you need.
我知道这是你想要的
I think I should like to read to you instead.
我想我要念给你听
"The whole world is now divided into two parts.
“整个世界现在一分两半出自《战争与和平》
"And there is all joy, hope,light.
那里充满了欢乐 希望和光明
"The other half is where she is not,
另一半是没有她
and there is all gloom and darkness."
那里充满沮丧和黑暗”
You make a lovely nurse, Dr. Einstein.
你会是一个很可爱的护士 爱因斯坦博士
"'I cannot come to visit you,
“我不能来看你
"'but is it possible that I should never see you?
但我怎么可能永远不看你
"I love you madly. Can I never?'
我爱你爱得如痴如狂 我能做到吗
"And blocking her path,
在路上堵她
"He brought his face close to hers.
他把脸凑近她
"Love hinders death.
爱阻挡了死亡
"Everything, everything I understand,
一切 我理解的一切
I understand only because I love."
都只因我爱你
only because I love."
都只因我爱”
The Germans have split the nucleus of the atom.
德国人已经分离了原子核
I didn't believe it at first,
起初我还不信
but that bastard Hahn, he actually did it.
但那个混蛋哈恩 他真的做到了
A bomb? Impossible.
炸弹 不可能
You could never find enough uranium.
你永远也无法找到足量的铀
You'd need an army of scientists.
那就需要一大批科学家
The Germans are very good at raising armies.
德国人非常善于召集军队
All the best minds have left, though.
但是所有杰出的人都离开了
We must inform the American government immediately.
我们必须立即告知美国政府
Why would the American government listen
美国政府为什么会听信于
to a couple of foreign nobodies like us?
我们这些外国的无名小卒
I know someone they will listen to.
我认识一个他们会听信的人
for the man they call "Einstein in knickers."
"穿短裤的爱因斯坦”的选手第一击
"Einstein in knickers"?
"穿短裤的爱因斯坦"
Why do they call him that?
为什么这样称呼他
They say he's the most intelligent
他们说他是所有”球员”里
of all the ballplayers.
最有天赋的
Elsa would sue them for libel
如果爱尔莎听到他们在广播中
if she heard them use my name like that on the radio.
这样用我的名字 会起诉他们诽谤的
More cinnamon this time?
这次多放了肉桂吗
Maybe you're just learning to like Russian sweets.
也许是你开始习惯俄国的甜品了
That's strike three for Moe Berg.
这是莫·伯格的第三次击球
波士顿 芬威球场1939年这是莫·伯格的第三次击球
Moe might not swing the bat like he did
莫也许无法像他15年前出道时
when he first came up 15 years ago,
那样挥舞球棒
but he still has a cannon for an arm.
但他的臂膀依然如大炮一般有力
Berg's the smartest man in baseball.
伯格是棒球界最聪明的人
Lawyer, Princeton grad,
律师 普林斯顿大学毕业生
reads as many as ten newspapers a day,
每天阅读十份报纸之多
speaks seven languages.
能说七国语言
you promised you'd help me prepare for my citizenship test,
你答应过要帮我准备公民入籍测试的
not to distract me with baseball.
可不是用棒球来让我分心
Shall we go to my study?
我们去书房吧
I'd prefer you take me to bed.
我更希望你带我上床
But you are married.
但是你结婚了
Were you never unfaithful to your wife, Albert?
你就从没对你妻子不忠过吗 阿尔伯特
Quite often, in fact.
实际上 经常
We had an understanding.
我们达成了共识
Then what is the problem?
那问题是什么呢
It's funny. When Elsa was alive, I...
很有趣 当爱尔莎活着的时候 我
I never felt any guilt about other women.
我从未因其他的女人而感到内疚
Now that she's gone...
现在她去世了
I somehow feel I'd be betraying her.
我反而觉得自己背叛了她
It's been years, Albert.
已经是陈年往事了 艾尔伯特
I know you still miss her very much, but...
我知道你依然非常思念她 但是...
you must be so lonely without her.
没有她你一定非常孤独
How many years does a senator serve?
一位参议员的任期是几年
- Four. - No, Albert,
-四年 -不对 艾尔伯特
this is the president.
这是总统的任期
No, this is the congressman.
不对 这是国会议员
A senator serves six.
参议员的任期是六年
Now, the electoral college.
接着 选举团制度
No, please. It makes no sense.
别继续了 这没有任何意义
I know what you're going to say.
我知道你要说什么
She's a married woman and I'm a foolish old man.
她是个已婚的女人 而我是个愚蠢的老头
I was going to say there's a Mr. Szilard here to see you.
我想说的是 西拉德先生来找您了
Every split would cause...
每次分裂都会引起
a tremendous chain reaction.
巨大的连锁反应
You discovered this, Albert, decades ago.
这是你发现的 艾尔伯特 数十年前
Energy equals mass times the speed of light squared.
能量等于质量乘以光速的平方[E=mc2]
Which means with only this much material
这意味着只用苹果大小的物质
you can destroy a city the size of Berlin.
就足以毁灭柏林那么大的城市
God help us all.
上帝会帮助我们的
you are the most famous scientist in the world.
你是这世界上最着名的科学家
You must tell the president.
必须由你来和总统说
What should I say to the president?
我该和总统说什么
That America's scientists must build a bomb
美国的科学家必须抢在
before the Germans do.
德国人之前制造一个炸弹
I'm a devout pacifist.
我是一个虔诚的和平主义者
Hitler is a madman.
希特勒是个疯子
Imagine how he would use such a weapon.
想象他会如何利用这样的武器
He could obliterate London, Moscow.
他可以毁掉伦敦 莫斯科
Many years ago, Fritz Haber tried to convince me
多年前 弗里茨·哈伯试图说服我
his poison gas would end the war more quickly.
他的毒气会很快结束战争
It only made it more horrific.
却只让事情变得更糟
Science must never be used for violence.
科学决不可用于暴力
Do you think Adolph Hitler
你觉得阿道夫·希特勒
shares your moral reservations?
会和你持有相同的道德观吗
You must contact Roosevelt.
你必须得联系罗斯福
He will listen to you.
他会听你的
That's the trouble, Leo.
这才是问题所在 利奥
Achieving an atomic chain reaction
实现原子链反应
will be the greatest feat
将会成为德国科学史上
柏林 德皇凯撒威廉研究院1939年将会成为德国科学史上
in the history of German science.
最伟大的成就柏林 德皇凯撒威廉研究院1939年
the Fuhrer has put you in charge of all of it.
元首让你负责所有事情
What if we succeed?
如果我们成功了呢
Then they will write books about us.
那人们将会把我们写进书里
The Fuhrer himself
元首将会亲手
will pin medals on our chests.
为我们佩戴勋章
We shall be heroes.
我们将成为英雄
Something troubling you, Professor?
什么事让你烦心 教授
I do not suppose I have ever felt more uncertain
我对自己做的事情是否正确
about whether or not what I'm doing is right.
从未如此不确定过
What would Frau Einstein have advised you to do?
爱因斯坦夫人会建议你怎么做呢
I expect she would have reminded me
我猜她会提醒我
that I once told her we must fight Hitler however we can.
我曾经告诉她我们必须拼尽一切与希特勒抗争
Then you have your answer.
这就是你要的答案
God forgive me if I'm making a terrible mistake.
如果我正犯下一个严重的错误 请上帝原谅
"Based on this new phenomenon, it is conceivable,
"根据这种新现象 我们虽然无法确定
though much less certain,
但有理由相信
that an extremely powerful bomb
一种拥有巨大能量的
of a new type may be constructed."
新型炸弹可能会被制造出来"
- "A single bomb..." - "A single bomb of this type,
-"一颗这种 -"一颗这种炸弹
carried by boat and exploded in a port,
以船运送 并在港口爆炸
might very well destroy
可能完全毁掉
the whole port together
整个港口
with some of the surrounding territory."
以及周遭一些区域"
I don't need to tell you what could happen
我不用多解释如果德国人
if the Germans develop this technology before we do.
比我们早发展出这种技术会发生什么事
We'll all be doing the goose step.
我们全都会受到德国统治
Which is why I'm asking you to take charge of a program
所以我要求你负责一个项目
to research and develop an atomic weapon.
研发一种原子武器
It'd require tremendous resources.
这会需要大量资源
Of that I have no doubt.
这我绝不怀疑
I'd need wide latitude to manage the project...
我会需要各领域人才来推进这个计划
the scientists, the military, clandestine operations.
科学家 军队 秘密行动
Secrecy would be vital, sir.
保密会变得很重要 先生
We couldn't let the Krauts get onto us.
我们不能让德国人领先
Everyone involved will need security clearance.
参与计划的每个人都需要安全检查
No, Einstein is out.
爱因斯坦不能参加
You haven't even run his background, Edgar.
你根本还没调查他的背景 埃德加
The Bureau has been concerned about Einstein for years.
调查局多年来都在关注爱因斯坦
Almost certainly a communist.
也很可能是共产主义者
He's the man who informed the president
就是他告诉总统
of the urgency of this matter.
这件事的急迫性
He cannot be trusted
他不可信
to be loyal to our country.
他不一定会忠诚于我们国家
I will support and defend
我将支持及扞卫
the Constitution and laws
美利坚合众国
of the United States of America...
宪法与法律
...against all enemies, foreign and domestic...
反对国内外一切敌人
...that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States
我将遵循法律要求
when required by the law.
为美国执起武器
...that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States
我将遵循法律要求
when required by the law.
为美国执起武器
Albert, you have just become an American.
阿尔伯特 你刚成为美国人
Why ever would you want to learn Russian?
为什么想要学俄语
So I can tell you I love you in your own language.
这样我就可以用你的母语对你说我爱你
Ya tebya lyublyu.
[俄语]我爱你
Oh, uh, I-I'm sorry, I didn't, uh...
我 我很抱歉 我不是
How wonderful to see you.
见到你真好
You remember my friend, Margarita.
你还记得我的朋友玛格丽塔吗
- Hello. - She's teaching me Russian.
-你好 -她在教我俄语
Yes. Very nice to see you again, madam.
对 很高兴再次见到你 夫人
I do beg your pardon.
请你原谅我的冒失
Please forgive us, Margarita.
恕我们失陪 玛格丽塔
Why don't you make us some of your delicious piroshki?
你何不为我们做些可口的俄式小馅饼
The atomic bomb program.
原子弹计划
They won't give me a security clearance.
他们不肯给我做安全调查
I need you to put in a word for me.
我需要你为我说几句话
They didn't give me a security clearance either.
他们也没有给我做安全调查
- What? - Frankly, it's a relief.
-什么 -其实这让我松了口气
It's one thing to write a letter,
写一封信是一回事
another thing entirely to help build a bomb.
帮忙制造炸弹是另一回事
So you find a Russian girlfriend
你找到一个俄国女友
and now I have no one to speak up for me.
而我却没人为我发声了
Leo, what on Earth are you talking about?
利奥 你到底在说什么啊
Well, they obviously suspect her.
他们很明显在怀疑她
Decoding my poetry, reporting it to the Kremlin?
解密我的诗作 报告给克里姆林宫吗
I'm not saying it's true, I'm simply saying
我不是说这是事实 我只是说
it's a question they would ask.
这是他们会怀疑的问题
Why would such a beautiful young woman...
为什么一个年轻美丽的女人会
to a disheveled old fool like me?
一个像我这样的蓬头垢面老傻瓜
Albert, I-I didn't mean to...
阿尔伯特 我 我不是要
It's all right, Leo.
没关系 利奥
I just let my imagination run away from me.
我的想像太过夸张了
I'm sure she cares for you very much.
我相信她一定很在乎你
I'm sure she does.
我相信她是的
Air must have leaked in somehow.
一定是有空气跑进去了
It's ignited the uranium powder.
空气点燃了铀粉
We must cool it. More water over here!
我们必须冷却它 拿更多水过来
No, it's too late. The pile's lost stability.
不 太迟了 反应堆失去稳定了
Everybody out! Now!
大家都出去 快点
So you have achieved atomic detonation?
所以你已经实现原子爆炸了
It was not the atomic material itself that exploded.
并不是原子材料本身爆炸
It was the pressure from the steam that burst the container.
而是蒸气的压力冲破容器
Your work has progressed quite slowly, Werner.
你的工作进度相当缓慢 沃纳
And now you have managed
现在你又成功
to destroy a very expensive laboratory.
毁掉一间非常昂贵的实验室
One could arrive at the conclusion that your heart
我们可以认为 你的心灵与头脑
and mind are not fully committed to this undertaking.
并没有完全奉献在这项工作中
That is not true, sir.
不是这样的 先生
I am ambitious to make a stable reactor.
我正在努力制造一座稳定的反应炉
The Fuhrer does not care about a reactor!
元首根本不在乎反应炉
Your priority must be a weapon.
你必须优先研究武器
Constructing a weapon is an extremely difficult process.
制造武器是一个及其困难的过程
If you are not capable, I will find a man who is.
如果你不行 我就去找行的人
I can do this, Mr. Halliwell.
我可以做 哈利威尔先生
I don't doubt your qualifications.
我并不质疑你的能力
What I don't understand is why.
我不明白的是为什么
I'm too old to join the army.
我年龄太大已无法参军
If we do take you on, well...
如果我们要接纳你 那么
let's just say you might be asked
话说在前面 你可能会发现
to do things that you find, uh...
你要被派去做的事
However I can contribute, sir.
只要能有所贡献 先生
This isn't a game, Moe.
这可不是游戏 莫
I'm a grown man who has spent his life
我耗费此生就是为了
trying to hit a ball with a stick.
能真正有所成就
I'm tired of playing games.
我已厌烦了游戏
Director of the National Defense Research Council.
国防研究委员会的主任
We were hoping you could help us with some calculations.
我们希望你能为我们做一些运算
You're trying to force uranium isotopes
你们想要把铀同位素
into a gaseous state.
转化为气态
If we don't show some results soon, our funding may dry up.
如果不尽快出结果 我们的基金就要用完了
I'm sorry, but I'm quite busy.
很抱歉 我很忙
They're only a few equations, Professor.
只是些方程罢了 教授
Then again, just one of my equations
再次 就是我的一个方程
seems to have started all this madness.
演变出了所有这些疯狂的事
I really shouldn't be telling you this,
我不该告诉透露给你的
but our intelligence services have reported
但是我们的情报部门报告了
rumblings from Germany.
一些来自德国的消息
We know the Nazis are putting everything they have
我们知道纳粹正在全力以赴
into building a bomb.
制造炸弹
You are aware my security clearance has been denied?
你知道我没有权限知道这些吧
That's why we have to keep this conversation
所以我才要确保只有我们俩
strictly between us.
知道这次对话
Nobody can know about this.
不会有人知道的
God forbid the Germans...
上帝不允许德国人
learn what we're doing.
得知我们的计划
I thought you were coming to bed.
我以为你准备睡觉了
Just a few minutes more.
还有一会儿
What are you looking for?
你在找什么
My book wasn't where I left it in the kitchen.
我的书没在原先厨房里的地方
I thought perhaps...
我想着也许...
...perhaps Helen put it here.
也许海伦放在这儿了
Well, I woke up with my stomach grumbling for a midnight snack.
我的胃吵着要吃夜宵 于是就醒了
Well, then, let me make you something to eat.
那好吧 我给你做点吃的
All of this is, of course, very complicated, but if something
所有这些当然都很复杂 但要说
联邦理工学院瑞士 苏黎世1944年12月所有这些当然都很复杂 但要说
has been particularly unclear this evening, I can assure you
今晚有什么不清楚的 我保证
it's because of my inability to explain it properly.
那是因为我的能力不足以解释清楚
Listen for certain words.
留神听某些字眼
Heavy water, fast fission,
重水 快中子裂变
If anything Heisenberg says leads you
如果海森堡说的话表明
to believe he is close to constructing a bomb...
他与制造炸弹有关
Right there in the lecture hall?
就在演讲厅里吗
We can't allow the Germans to get this weapon.
我们不能让德国人得到这样的武器
And just as importantly, we can't allow the Russians
同样重要的是 我们不能让俄国人
to get their hands on Heisenberg.
得到海森堡
Even if the Nazis don't succeed,
即使纳粹没有成功
we've got to keep the Commies
我们也必须确保共产主义者
from getting these secrets, too.
不知晓这些秘密
A fascinating lecture, Herr Professor.
演讲太棒了 教授
Although I am afraid some of it was beyond my abilities.
不过恐怕有些内容超出了我的理解能力
I know how busy you must be, but if it is not an imposition,
我知道您一定很忙 但如果不打扰的话
perhaps I can walk you back to your hotel.
也许我可以陪您走回旅馆
I have a few questions.
我有一些问题
I'm surprised you are teaching
没想到你在中学里
such advanced ideas in secondary school.
教这么先进的理念
Alas, I only teach the fundamentals.
我只是教了一些基础原理而已
Although I do like to keep up with the latest developments.
不过我确实喜欢关注最新的进展
I suppose I still harbor the fantasy
也许我仍然抱有幻想
I could be a real physicist like you.
希望能成为您这样的物理学家
What would you like to know?
你想知道些什么
The topic that most interests me is atomic fission.
最吸引我的议题是核裂变
The journals say that it will become a source of energy
杂志上说 这会成为比煤炭甚至石油
more powerful than coal or even oil.
更强大的能源
That is certainly our hope.
我们确实希望如此
that it could be used to create a bomb.
这可以用来制造炸弹
A weapon is only theoretical.
武器还只在理论阶段
Yes, but, theoretically,
是的 但是 理论上讲
if you had the materials,
如果你有了材料
It would be an extremely difficult process.
这将会是一个极其困难的过程
But I have a question about
不过我倒有个关于核裂变的
atomic fission for you, Herr Ritter.
问题要问你 里特尔先生
If you were a real physicist,
如果你是一名真正的物理学家
one who knew how to build such a weapon,
你知道如何制造武器
and you knew it would help your country win a war...
你也知道这会帮你国家在战争中得胜
...but that it could also kill thousands...
但这也可能会屠杀万千生灵
...what do you suppose would be stronger...
你觉得哪一个会更强大
your patriotism...
你的爱国之心
or your moral qualms?
还是你的道德感
I would have to push those qualms aside.
那我必须把良心的谴责暂时放在一边
do you know my uncertainty principle?
你知道我的测不准原理吗
Uh, the... the more precisely
粒子的速度
you measure a particle's velocity,
测量得越精准
the less precisely you know its position.
得知其位置就越不准确
So perhaps the more precisely you attempt to take my measure,
所以也许你越准确地试图使用我的测量
the less precisely you will know my position.
你就越不知道我的准确位置
Good night, Herr Ritter.
晚安 里特尔先生
Thank you for your time, Herr Professor.
谢谢你抽时间和我聊 教授
The Germans do not have a bomb.
炸弹不在德国人手里
I'm told the intelligence is quite conclusive.
我相当肯定地告诉了情报局
Well, if you are right,
如果你说得对
we can all take a breath.
那我们就都能松一口气了
But I'm also hearing
但我也听说
that our American friends are very close to succeeding.
我们的美国朋友就快成功了
Even if that is true,
如果那是真的
Hitler and his grey geese are in retreat.
希特勒和他的党羽正在撤退
The Americans will not need an atomic bomb to defeat Germany.
美国人不需要原子弹来击退德国人
That's why I am here, Albert.
所以我才来找你 阿尔伯特
To ask you to write another letter to Roosevelt.
来请你再给罗斯福写一封信
To tell him this weapon must never be used.
告诉他这件武器一定不能使用
Are you not the same man that stood before me
难道你不是六年前那个
six years ago and begged me
站在我面前求我
to get this godforsaken project started?
让这项天杀的计划得以启动的人了吗
This bomb... some say it could start
这个原子弹 有人说
a chain reaction that would ignite the atmosphere itself.
它引发的一系列反应会点燃大气层本身
Write to the president, Albert, before it's too late.
写信给总统 阿尔伯特 否则就太迟了
This is a late bulletin from our nation's capital.
这是我们国家首都最新的公告
The president of the United States,
美国总统1945年四月十二日
Franklin Delano Roosevelt,
富兰克林· 德拉诺·罗斯福
It appears he has died from a cerebral hemorrhage.
他似乎是死于脑溢血
Vice President Truman and the cabinet are meeting now
杜鲁门副总统以及内阁成员
at the White House to settle all matters
正在白宫开会
of public importance.
解决所有重要的公众事务
All we know so far is that the president died...
目前我们只知道总统过世了
We must evacuate Berlin!
我们必须撤离柏林
You are being recalled.
你即将被召回国
I'm more useful here.
我在这更能发挥作用
Have you brought us anything of value
你有没有从你的教授朋友那
from your professor friend?
给我们带来任何有价值的东西呢
He's not my only source.
他不是我唯一的资源
Tell Moscow I wish to stay.
跟莫斯科说我希望能留下来
Because you have made the unforgivable mistake
因为你犯下了不可原谅的错误
of falling in love with your target?
爱上了你的目标人物吗
You will do as you are told, Comrade.
你必须遵照命令行事 同志
I don't understand why you are leaving.
我不明白你为什么要走
There is someone else?
你有别人了吗
I do love my country.
我真的热爱我的国家
Russia has been devastated by the war,
俄国已经被战争给摧毁了
and I am needed at home.
我的国家需要我
You know, I often suspected you wanted more from me
我经常怀疑 你对我的需求
than just my company.
不只是想做我的伴侣
But it's so hard for an old man to find companionship.
但是一个老人要找个伴不容易
I suppose I convinced myself.
看来我说服了自己
Why couldn't both things be true?
为什么鱼和熊掌不可兼得呢
Why couldn't you love your country,
为什么你不能既热爱你的国家
You really are a brilliant man.
你真是个聪明的人
I've just heard it on the radio.
我刚刚听到收音机里说了
They have dropped a bomb on a city in Japan.
他们在日本的一个城市上空投掷了炸弹
They say it used the power of the atom.
他们说用的是原子能
It is an atomic bomb.
这是原子弹
It is a harnessing of the basic power of the universe.
这是在利用宇宙的基本力量
The force from which the sun draws its power has been loosed
太阳从中汲取的这一能量
against those who brought war to the Far East.
被释放在那些带到远东的人们
1945年 英国战时集中营被释放在那些带到远东的人们
We have spent more than $2 billion
我们把超过二十亿的美元
on the greatest scientific gamble in history,
用在了史上最大的科学冒险上
Yanks beat you Jerries again, didn't they?
美国佬再次打赢了德国兵 对吧
...not the size of the enterprise,
不是企业的大小
its secrecy, or its cost,
其保密性或是其费用
How did they do it?
他们是怎么做到的
It's an extremely simple process, actually.
其实这是一个极其简单的过程
Get me a pencil and a piece of paper and I'll show you.
给我一只铅笔和一张纸 我来告诉你们