our school gymnasium presented a cocktail of horrors.
我们学校的体育馆都会发生各式各样的恐怖事
From daily humiliation...
从日常丢脸
...to school-sanctioned violence...
到学校认可的暴力
But one day a year, the gymnasium was transformed
但每年有那么一天 体育馆会摇身一变
into a haven of learning
成为学习的殿堂
thanks to a remarkable institution
这都要感谢一个了不起的惯例
known as the science fair.
科学展
A chance for the student body to come together
全体学生都有机会
in the name of research and progress.
以研究和进步之名齐聚一堂
Uh, while some did the bare minimum...
有些人毫不努力
...and others preferred razzamatazz over raw data,
其他人则喜欢作秀多过原始数据
I set out to save humanity from deadly asteroids.
我致力于拯救人类不被致命小行星灭绝
And made it all neatly fit on three poster boards.
我把内容都整齐排在三块硬纸板上
The science fair may be a competition,
科学展也许是场比赛
but when the goal is promoting knowledge, we're all winners.
但当目的是分享知识时 我们都是赢家
of the Medford High School Science Fair is...
梅德福高中科学展的就是...
You've got to be kidding me!
你逗我呢吧
You people are crazy!
你们这些人都疯了
You're celebrating mediocrity!
你们在赞美平庸
♪ Nobody else is stronger than I am ♪
♪ 世上没人比我强壮 ♪
♪ Yesterday I moved a mountain ♪
♪ 昨天我移了一座山 ♪
♪ I bet I could be your hero ♪
♪ 我相信我能当你的英雄 ♪
♪ I am a mighty little man ♪
♪ 我是个了不起的小家伙 ♪
♪ I am a mighty little man ♪
♪ 我是个了不起的小家伙 ♪
I'll be in my room.
我回房间去了
Oh, come on, Shelly.
别这样 谢利
You still got an honorable mention.
你还是得到优等奖了呀
Stop reminding me.
别提起我的伤心事了
I hate to see him so upset.
我讨厌看到他如此不开心
Well, give him a little time, he'll calm down.
给他点时间嘛 他会冷静下来的
You don't always win in life, he needs to learn that.
生活中并非次次能赢 他需要学会这点
I know, but these are big feelings for a little boy.
我知道 但这对小男孩来说是很激烈的情绪
They're feelings everybody has.
每个人都有这种情绪
It's part of growing up.
这是成长必经阶段
Somebody's got to teach this kid to swear,
得有人去教这孩子如何骂脏话了
I know losing ain't easy.
我知道输很难接受
I deal with it on the football field all the time.
我在橄榄球场上经常要面对这个
It's like that big game we had last year against Nacogdoches.
就像我们去年对纳卡多奇斯队那场重要的比赛
We were down 28 points at the half.
中场休息时我们落后28分
It was raining, it was muddy.
当时在下雨 一片泥泞
Everybody in the stands had gone home.
看台上的人全都回家了
But somehow, we managed to claw our way back
但不知怎的 我们成功在终场前一分钟
to a tie with a minute left.
追成平手
And then, they threw a Hail Mary,
然后他们传了一个孤注一掷的长传
and the receiver stepped out of bounds,
接球员走出界外
but the ref didn't see it.
但裁判没看到
After all that, we lose on a bad call.
经历了这么多后 我们输在了错判上
Believe me, I was furious.
相信我 我当时气炸了
But I sucked it up,
但我忍住了
and I walked across that field and I shook their hands.
我走到球场另一边 跟他们握手
I didn't hear a word you said.
你刚说的我一个字都没听进去
So while an animal cell has a membrane,
动物细胞有细胞膜
a plant cell has a membrane and a cell wall.
植物细胞则有细胞膜和细胞壁
Sheldon, what are you doing?
谢尔顿 你在干什么
Being disrespectful, sir.
目无尊长 老师
Because I'm disillusioned with the school system.
因为我对学校制度幻灭了
Georgie, do you know what's going on with him?
小乔治 你知道他怎么回事吗
Actually, I'm trying to ignore it.
事实上 我在努力无视他
Well, get your feet off the desk.
你把脚放下来
I was sent to see Principal Petersen.
老师叫我来见彼得森校长
What is it this time?
这次你又做了什么
Youthful rebellion.
青春期叛逆
My voice hasn't changed yet, but my attitude has.
我还没变声 但我的态度变了
I'll let him know you're here.
我通知他你来了
Sheldon Cooper's outside.
谢尔顿·库珀在外面
Who sent him now?
这次是谁叫他来的
- Givens. - Well, you know what?
-吉文斯 -你知道吗
Givens needs to man up.
吉文斯应该爷们一点
Cooper's a little boy.
库珀只是个小男孩
It's not hard to handle him.
对付他一点都不难啊
H-Hold on a minute, just...
先等一下
Does he know I'm in here?
他知道我在办公室吗
Attention, students and faculty.
全体学生和教员请注意
This is Sheldon Lee Cooper.
我是谢尔顿·李·库珀
We're taught that hard work pays off, but that's not true.
我们被教导努力会有回报 但那不是真的
I came up with a solution to save Earth
我想出了从致命小行星手中
from killer asteroids,
拯救地球的方法
and lost the science fair
却在科学展中
to SueAnn Ludlow, and her frizzy hair machine.
输给了苏安·拉德洛 及她的炸头毛机器
But it wasn't just me who lost, we all lost.
但输的不只是我 我们都输了
The system's broken.
这个体制已经崩坏了
Real innovation isn't valued.
真正的创新不被重视
Nowadays, it's all about flash and style.
这年头 浮夸和有型才是王道
音乐电视网频道 节目主要面向青少年有时被人诟病推广脑残内容
Luckily, my parents can't afford cable.
幸好我的父母订不起有线电视台
I urge you all to rise up.
我敦促你们都起来反抗
They can't send everyone to the principal's office.
法不责众 不可能全都去见校长
Chew gum in class, use a number one pencil,
在课上嚼口香糖 改用一号铅笔
This is Sheldon Lee Cooper signing off.
谢尔顿·李·库珀发言完毕
Live long and prosper.
生生不息 繁荣昌盛
You better run, you little punk!
有种你别跑 小兔崽子
I can't believe you sent him to bed without his dinner.
真不敢相信你让他饿着肚子就上床睡觉
On spaghetti and hot dog night.
而且今晚还是吃热狗意粉
- That's rough. - He's got to learn.
-够残忍 -他必须学会教训
Let's talk about something else.
我们聊点别的吧
Georgie, how was your day?
小乔治 你今天过得怎么样
My brother told the entire school we can't afford cable.
我弟弟告诉全校的人我们家订不起有线电视
Good, until I learned we can't afford cable.
本来挺好 直到听说我们订不起有线电视
I've been thinking, and there's something I'd like to say.
我一直在思考 我有话想说
Unless it's an apology, I don't want to hear it.
除非是道歉 否则就不用说了
I'm quitting science.
我要放弃科学
I'm really getting worried about Shelly.
我真的开始担心谢利了
Acting out, and now quitting science?
之前是发脾气 现在还要放弃科学
Oh, I'm sure he'll get right back to it.
他一定马上就重新沉迷科学的
I've quit smoking and gambling plenty of times.
我也戒过烟和赌博很多次了
Hmm. Look in my purse.
打开我包包看看
Nothing but cigarettes and scratchers.
里面只有烟和刮刮乐彩票
Maybe he should talk to somebody.
也许他该找人谈谈
I meant a professional, George.
我是指跟专业人士谈 乔治
But way to be a dad.
不过你可真是"好"爸爸啊
Thank you for seeing us on such short notice, Doctor.
谢谢你这么快就腾出时间见我们 医生
Do you remember me?
你记得我吗
I remember everything.
我什么都记得
Uh, you two, make yourselves comfortable.
二位女士请随意
Me and my main man Sheldon are gonna go
我跟我兄弟谢尔顿
have a little chitchat in my office.
要到我办公室里好好聊聊
I don't like chitchat, and I'm not your main man.
我不喜欢聊天 我也不是你兄弟
Now, Sheldon, I understand you've changed your mind
谢尔顿 我知道你改变主意
about being a scientist.
不想当科学家了
And you're gonna say I can't?
你打算说我不能这么做吗
No. I think that's great.
不 我觉得那样很棒
- You do? - Yeah.
-真的吗 -嗯
I think it's important to keep your options open.
我认为对人生选择保持开放态度是好事
Let me tell you a little story
让我告诉你一个小故事
about an extremely smart young boy.
主角是一个非常聪明的小男孩
For the longest time,
有很长一段时间
I thought I was gonna be
我都以为自己会成为
a professional figure skater.
一名专业花样滑冰运动员
And then you became disenchanted with the field like I did?
然后你跟我一样对那个领域幻想破灭了吗
Someone skated right over my foot.
有人穿着冰鞋在我脚上滑过
I'm not sure that's the same thing.
我不确定这是一回事
I'd say you lost your passion the way I lost my big toe.
你失去激情与我失去脚趾的方式如出一辙
Don't draw in that.
别在上面乱画
Hey. We're all done.
我们结束了
- How'd it go? - Great.
-怎么样 -很好
I feel a lot better.
我感觉好多了
Well, that's just wonderful.
实在太棒了
So, you're going back to science?
那你要继续研究科学吗
No. In fact, I'm going as far away from science as possible.
不 事实上我要离科学越远越好
I plan to pursue the arts.
我打算投身艺术行业
I've decided to become an actor.
我决定以后要当演员
Why's he want to study acting?
他为什么想学演戏
The doctor encouraged him to try something different.
医生鼓励他尝试不一样的东西
Maybe he'll learn to act normal.
也许他能学会表现得像正常人
How about you learn to act nice?
不如你学学如何友善待人吧
You people don't appreciate my sense of humor.
你们都不懂欣赏我的幽默感
As long as he starts behaving himself in school,
只要他开始在学校乖乖的
I don't care what he does.
我不在乎他做什么
You know, I actually did a little community theater
其实我20几岁时 曾在一个社区小剧团
I had a good part in Oklahoma.
我在《俄克拉荷马》演了个很棒的角色
♪ I'm just a girl who can't say no. ♪
♪ 我就是一个无法拒绝的女孩 ♪
To, uh, eating her vegetables.
无法拒绝吃蔬菜
But I'm pretty sure doing plays
不过我很肯定排戏
is just an excuse to change in front of each other backstage.
只是为了能在后台一起换衣服
- Really? - Yeah.
-真的吗 -是啊
Theater folk just love to take their clothes off.
戏剧圈的人可爱脱衣服了
How many people saw you naked?
有多少人看过你的裸体
- Mom. - Enough.
-妈妈 -够了
Y'all don't understand my sense of humor, either.
你们也不懂我的幽默
Hello. Are you Mr. Lundy?
你好 请问你是伦迪老师[先生]吗
My father is Mr. Lundy.
我父亲才是伦迪先生
Well, then what should I call you?
那我应该怎么称呼你
My father's dead.
毕竟我爸不在了
I was told you're the head of the drama department.
他们告诉我你是戏剧部的负责人
Mm-hmm, and the girls' volleyball coach,
没错 也是女子排球队的教练
which, between us, is the real drama department.
偷偷告诉你 那边的人戏才多
I'm interested in becoming an actor.
我想当演员
You've come to the right place.
你来这里就对了
You know, I-I've been a professional actor
我也是个职业演员呢
for years and years.
当了好多好多年了
Really? What have you been in?
真的吗 你演过什么
Well, have you seen the mattress madness commercials
你看过一个床垫的广告吗
I'm soft and firm
我又柔软又结实
in all the right places.
该软则软 该结实则结实
Wow. You're famous.
你是名人啊
And I was Carbucketty
我也曾经出演过
in the Dallas-Fort Worth Players production of Cats.
达拉斯沃斯堡市制作的音乐剧《猫》
No, I'm afraid of cats.
不要 我怕猫
Well, you realize the cats are just the actors.
你知道那些猫都是演员演的吧
I still wouldn't risk it.
我还是不想冒这个险
You're an odd boy, but you make it work.
你真是个奇特的孩子 但你应该能行
Anyway, uh, auditions are next week.
好了 试镜是在下周
- You're welcome to come on by. - Excellent.
-到时候欢迎你来 -太好了
I checked out a book on acting
我借了一本讲演戏的书
so I should have the hang of it by then.
到时候我应该已经掌握得差不多了
Well, I like that confidence.
我喜欢你这自信
Thank you. Most people find it off-putting.
谢谢 大多数人都觉得反感
To master acting, I immersed myself
要想掌握演戏 我先让自己
in all forms of the genre, from silent films
沉浸在各种不同类型的作品里 从默片
to modern classics...
到现代经典
1952年的不朽音乐歌舞片杰作《雨中曲》歌曲名《Good morning》
...to logic-defying experimental work.
到反逻辑的实验性作品
♪ It's great to stay up late... ♪
♪ 睡懒觉最棒了 ♪
Why are they all singing?
他们为什么都在唱歌
Because it's a musical.
因为这是歌舞片啊
But why can't they just say it?
他们为什么不能用说的呢
Well, that wouldn't be very musical, would it?
那就不够"歌舞"了 不是吗
♪ The stars were shining bright... ♪
♪ 繁星在闪耀 ♪
And where is the music coming from?
而且他们的音乐是从哪来的啊
You're thinking about it too much.
你太较真了
♪ So, good morning ♪
♪ 所以 早安 ♪
♪ Good morning... ♪
♪ 早安 ♪
And how do they all know the same dance?
而且他们为什么都会跳同一套舞啊
- Come on. - Moonpie.
-别问了 -小饼饼
What are you looking for?
你在找什么
It's a piece of jewelry.
是一种首饰
In my acting book, there's an exercise
在演戏的书里有个小练习
where you look for a missing brooch in a convincing way.
就是你得用令人信服的方式寻找一个胸针
According to the story, it was given to me by a friend
根据书中的背景故事 这个是我朋友送的
so I could afford to stay in drama school, but now it's gone.
让我变卖好继续读戏剧学校 被我弄丢了
Well, good luck finding it.
祝你早日找到啦
You really believed I was looking for something.
你真的相信了我是在找东西
Oh, where the heck is that brooch?
这胸针到底是跑哪去了
and you can change,
你也能改变
everybody can change.
那每个人都能改变
That was a-a lovely reading from Rocky IV.
谢谢你朗读拳击片《洛奇4》台词的演出
All right, Mr. Cooper.
好了 库珀先生
The stage is yours.
舞台是你的了
I'd like to begin with a monologue from King Lear.
我想要先来一段《李尔王》中的独白
I believe you're supposed to say "Break a leg."
演员开演前 你应该说"祝开演成功"[断条腿]
Poor naked wretches,
可怜的衣不蔽体的穷人们
whereso'er you are,
不管你们身处何方
that bide the pelting of this pitiless storm.
都要忍受这样无情的暴风雨的袭击
How shall your houseless heads and unfed sides,
你们头无片瓦 饥肠辘辘
your looped and windowed raggedness defend you
穿着百孔千疮的衣服 如何抵挡
from seasons such as these?
这样的天气
Oh, I've ta'en too little care of this.
哦 我对这样的事关心得太少了
Take physic, pomp.
吞下这剂药吧 衣着华丽的贵人
Expose thyself to feel what wretches feel,
让你体验一下穷人的痛苦
that thou may shake the superflux to them
好把多余的财物分给他们
and show the heavens more just.
使上天显得更加公平
♪ Don't cry for me, Argentina ♪
♪ 阿根廷 别为我哭泣 ♪
音乐剧《艾薇塔》与歌舞电影《贝隆夫人》中的名曲《阿根廷别为我哭泣》
♪ The truth is I never left you ♪
♪ 事实上我从未离开过你 ♪
♪ All through my wild days ♪
♪ 在那段狂野岁月里 ♪
♪ My mad existence ♪
♪ 疯狂历程中 ♪
♪ I kept my promise ♪
♪ 我都谨记诺言 ♪
♪ Don't keep your distance... ♪
♪ 别将我拒之门外 ♪
♪ I've got daisies ♪
♪ 我有雏菊 ♪
1951年电影《一个美国人在巴黎》中的经典片段歌曲名《I got rhythm》
♪ In green pastures ♪
♪ 在绿色牧场里 ♪
♪ I've got my girl ♪
♪ 我得到了我的姑娘 ♪
♪ Who could ask for anything more ♪
♪ 我还有什么好要求的呢 ♪
♪ Old man trouble ♪
♪ 老人麻烦 ♪
♪ I don't mind him ♪
♪ 我不管它 ♪
♪ You won't find him ♪
♪ 你不会发现 ♪
♪ Hanging 'round my door ♪
♪ 他在我家外面转悠 ♪
♪ I've got starlight ♪
♪ 我有星光 ♪
♪ I've got sweet dreams ♪
♪ 我有美梦 ♪
♪ I've got my star ♪
♪ 我有我的明星 ♪
♪ Who could ask for anything more? ♪
♪ 我还有什么好要求的呢 ♪
♪ Who could ask for anything more? ♪
♪ 我还有什么好要求的呢 ♪
That looked dangerous.
你那样看起来好危险啊
No, that looks dangerous.
不 你那个看起来才危险
Hey. How'd the audition go?
试镜如何啦
Great. I got the lead.
很好啊 我演主角
1982年一部讲述红发女孩孤儿安妮的欢乐冒险的音乐剧
I need to go learn my lines.
我要去学习我的台词了
Now, I was a little unsure at first,
我刚听到时心里也有疑虑
but Sandy Duncan does play Peter Pan,
但女演员桑迪·邓肯也曾反串演过《小飞侠》
so when you think about it...
所以如果你自己想想
Connie, you're not helping.
康妮 你说这话纯帮倒忙
I want to talk to you about this play.
我想跟你聊聊这舞台剧的事
I'm excited about it, too.
我也很兴奋
You know, if you play the part of a girl,
你知道你要是扮演女孩角色
people might make fun of you.
别人很有可能会取笑你吧
Mr. Lundy's trying to push the boundaries
伦迪先生想要冲击德州东部
of drama in East Texas.
大家对戏剧的界限
One way to do that is cross-gender casting.
其中一个方式就是女角男演
Let me rephrase that:
让我修正一下我的措辞
if you play the part of a girl, people will make fun of you.
如果你去扮女生 别人一定会取笑你
In Shakespeare's time, the men played all the female parts.
在莎士比亚的年代 所有的女角都是男人演的
No one made fun of it.
也没人取笑他们啊
If Shakespeare went to public high school,
如果莎士比亚去上了公立学校
it'd be a different story.
那情况就不会是这样了
You know, Sandy Duncan plays the part of Peter Pan...
你知道桑迪·邓肯也演过男角色彼得潘吧
Yeah, yeah, I heard.
是啦 我听说了
I'm trying to protect you, son.
儿子 爸爸也是想保护你
I appreciate that.
我谢谢你的好意
You're a football coach.
你是个橄榄球教练
Isn't it your responsibility
你的责任不就是
to put in the best player for the job?
把球员安排在最适合的位子上吗
Well, I want to do this,
我想演戏
and Mr. Lundy said I was the best.
而伦迪先生说我是最棒的
Can you at least wear pants instead of a dress?
那你能起码穿裤子而不穿裙子吗
I'll give you a definite maybe.
我给你个十分肯定的可能吧
Okay, who's excited?
好了 谁很期待啊
I don't want to see Sheldon's stupid play, it's humiliating.
我不想看谢尔顿的白痴舞台剧 太丢人了
That's why I want to see it.
这正是我想看的原因
We're going to support your brother.
我们要去支持你弟弟
Not another word about it.
我不想再听你们说任何一个字
Can we at least sit in the back?
我们能好歹坐到后排去吗
Okay, everybody, ten minutes to curtain.
好了 大家 还有10分钟就开演了
No smiling, girls, it's a hard knock life.
姑娘们 不许笑 生活很艰难
How you doing, Mr. Cooper?
你怎么样啦 库珀先生
You in touch with your inner Annie?
跟内心的安妮起共鸣了吗
Good. It's a packed house.
太好了 今天满座呢
Wha-- oh, what the heck?
哇 什么鬼
Katie? Katie. You're an orphan,
凯蒂 凯蒂 你是孤儿
sweetheart, not a coal miner.
亲爱的 不是矿工
Let's tone that down, hmm?
稍微收敛一点好吗
What are you talking about?
你在说什么呢
The play, I can't do it.
舞台剧 我不行
There are too many people out there.
外面太多人了
Oh, that is just stage fright.
你这是怯场
That's completely normal.
这情况很正常
No, this is a full-blown panic attack.
不 我这是恐慌症大发作
All right, listen to me.
好吧 你听我说
You're feeling scared.
你感到害怕
I get that, but what you have to understand
我能理解 但你得知道
is you're not going out on that stage alone.
你不是独自一个人上台
Everybody, gather around, hmm?
各位 大家都集合过来
have you ever been to the circus?
你去看过马戏团吗
I had a panic attack there, too.
我在那里也恐慌症发作了
the trapeze artist always performs with a net
高空秋千表演永远都有安全网在下面
to catch him, to protect him.
来接住他 保护他
And you are protected by everyone standing here.
而你也被这里的大家保护着
Nothing can happen to you out on that stage,
在台上你不会有任何事
because we're a team.
因为我们是个团队
We are your net.
我们是你的安全网
Sheldon, come here.
谢尔顿 你过来
deserves to see you shine.
应该有机会看到你闪耀
Mr. Lundy gave a compelling speech.
伦迪先生的演说十分动人
The audience did deserve to see what they came for,
的确该让观众有不虚此行的机会
an eager boy bravely taking on
一个充满热情的男孩扮演着
the role of Little Orphan Annie.
小孤儿安妮这个角色
You're looking for a knuckle sandwich.
我看你是找揍
And in that respect, they were not disappointed.
按这个来说 他们的确没有失望
Pipe down, all of you.
你们大家都安静
It's all right, Molly.
没事的 摩丽
I'd tell you how an East Texas audience in 1989 responded
我很乐意说出89年在民风剽悍的德州东部
to a grown man playing Annie,
观众对于成年男人扮演安妮的反应
but I think you know.
不过我想你们都猜得到
♪ The sun come out tomorrow ♪
♪ 明天太阳将升起 ♪
♪ Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow ♪
♪ 我跟你打包票 明天依旧 ♪
♪ There'll be sun ♪
♪ 会艳阳高照 ♪
♪ When I'm stuck with a day that's gray ♪
♪ 当我觉得日子灰暗 ♪
♪ And lonely ♪
♪ 与寂寞的时候 ♪
♪ I just stick out my chin and grin ♪
♪ 我会抬起下巴 露出微笑 ♪
I think I see his underpants.
我好像看到了他的内裤
Theatre folk just love to show off their business.
戏剧圈的人就爱露
♪ Always a day away ♪
♪ 永远都会在新的一天到来 ♪
♪ Tomorrow, tomorrow ♪
♪ 明天 明天 ♪
♪ I love you, tomorrow ♪
♪ 我爱你 明天 ♪
♪ You're always a day ♪
♪ 你永远都会在 ♪