纯真年代 The Age of Innocence

上映日期: 1,993

语言: 英语 / 意大利语

影片类型: 剧情 / 爱情

导演: 马丁·斯科塞斯

演员: 丹尼尔·戴-刘易斯 / 米歇尔·菲佛 / 薇诺娜·瑞德 / 亚历克西斯·史密斯 / 罗伯特·肖恩·莱纳德 / 理查德·E·格兰特 / 亚历克·马克温 / 杰拉丁·卓别林 / 玛丽·贝丝·赫特 / 斯图


台词
哥 伦 比 亚 影 业 出 品
卡 帕 / 德 · 菲 娜 制 片
马 丁 · 斯 科 塞 斯 作 品
领 衔 主 演 : 丹 尼 尔 · 戴 - 刘 易 斯
领 衔 主 演 : 米 歇 尔 · 菲 佛
领 衔 主 演 : 薇 诺 娜 · 瑞 德
片 名 : 纯 真 年 代又 译 : 心 外 幽 情 ( 港 ) / 纯 情 年 代
联 合 主 演 :杰 拉 丁 · 卓 别 林迈 克 尔 · 高 夫理 查 德 · E · 格 兰 特玛 丽 · 贝 丝 · 赫 特
联 合 主 演 :罗 伯 特 · 肖 恩 · 莱 纳 德诺 曼 · 劳 埃 德米 瑞 安 · 玛 格 莱 斯亚 历 克 · 马 克 温
联 合 主 演 :仙 · 菲 利 普 斯乔 纳 森 · 普 雷 斯亚 历 克 西 斯 · 史 密 斯斯 图 尔 特 · 威 尔 逊
选 角 : 艾 伦 · 刘 易 斯
助 理 制 片 : 约 瑟 夫 · 瑞 迪
联 合 制 片 : 布 鲁 斯 · S · 普斯汀
片 头 设 计 : 伊 莲 & 索 尔 · 巴 斯
配 乐 : 埃 尔 默 · 伯 恩 斯 坦
服 装 设 计 : 加 布 里 埃 拉 · 佩 斯 库 奇
剪 辑 : 塞 尔 玛 · 斯 昆 梅 克
艺 术 指 导 : 丹 特 · 费 雷 蒂
摄 影 指 导 : 迈 克 尔 · 包 豪 斯
本 片 改 编 自 伊 迪 丝 · 沃 顿 所 著 同 名 小 说
编 剧 : 杰 伊 · 考 克 斯 & 马 丁 · 斯 科 塞 斯
制 片 : 芭 芭 拉 · 德 · 菲 纳
导 演 : 马 丁 · 斯 科 塞 斯
纽约市 一八七零年代
Well...
I didn't think the Mingotts would have tried it on.
无法想象明戈特的家眷会穿这种衣服
Parading her at the opera like that,
在剧院里如此炫耀地
sitting her next to May Welland.
还让她坐在梅·韦兰德身旁
It's all very odd.
真奇怪
Well, she's had such an odd life.
但她的经历也挺奇怪
Will they even bring her to the Beauforts' ball, do you suppose?
他们会带她参加博弗特家的舞会吗
If they do, the talk will be of little else.
如果那样 一定会引起轩然大波
Good evening, Mrs. Welland. Good evening, May.
晚上好 韦兰德太太 晚上好 梅
Newland. You know my niece Countess Olenska.
纽伦德 我的外甥女奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人
Countess.
伯爵夫人
I hope you've told Madame Olenska.
希望你已经告诉过奥兰斯卡夫人了
What?
告诉她什么
That we're engaged.
我们订婚的事
I want everybody to know.
我要全世界都知道
Let me announce it this evening at the ball.
我要在舞会中宣布
If you can persuade Mamma.
如果你能说服我妈的话
Why should we change what is already settled?
已决定的事何必提前
But you can tell my cousin yourself.
不过你可以告诉我表姐
She remembers you.
她记得你
I remember we played together.
我记得我们曾在一起玩
How this brings it all back to me.
这一切勾起了我的回忆
I remember everybody here the same way,
我记得大家儿时的模样
in knickerbockers and pantalettes.
穿着可笑的灯笼裤和长裤
You were horrid. You kissed me once behind a door.
你是个讨厌鬼 还在门后强吻过我
But it was your cousin Vandie, the one who never looked at me, I was in love with.
我喜欢的是你堂哥范迪 但他从不愿瞧我一眼
Yes, you have been away a very long time.
你已经离开很久了
Centuries and centuries.
太久了
So long, I'm sure I'm dead and buried, and this dear old place is heaven.
久得令我感觉自己已死 而这里宛如天堂
It invariably happened,
昔日的事情
as everything happened in those days, in the same way.
每次都是千篇一律地发生
As usual, Mrs. Julius Beaufort appeared,
一如往常 博弗特夫人在没有丈夫的陪伴下
unaccompanied by her husband,
独自前来
just before The Jewel Song.
观赏 珠宝之歌
And again, as usual, rose at the end of the third act and disappeared.
又照例在第三幕之后起身离去
New York then knew that a half hour later,
全城都知道这表示半小时后
the Beauforts' Annual Opera Ball would begin.
一年一度的博弗特歌剧舞会便要开始
Carriages waited at the kerb for the entire performance.
马车早已恭候多时
It was widely known in New York, but never acknowledged,
纽约人彼此都心照不宣
that Americans want to get away from amusement,
美国人急于离开娱乐
even more quickly than they want to get to it.
比到达还急切
The Beauforts' house was one of the few in New York
纽约人家很少像博弗特家一样
that possessed a ballroom.
有个舞厅
Such a room, shuttered in darkness 364 days of the year,
这样的房间 一年尘封三百六十四天
was felt to compensate
好似在
for whatever was regrettable in the Beaufort past.
追悼博弗特家的任何坏事
Regina Beaufort came from an old South Carolina family,
博弗特夫人瑞吉娜来自南卡世家
but her husband Julius, who passed for an Englishman,
但其夫尤利斯 被认为是个英国后裔
was known to have dissipated habits,
终日花天酒地
a bitter tongue and mysterious antecedents.
言谈尖酸刻薄 而且身世不详
His marriage assured him a social position,
攀附世族为他带来社会地位
but not necessarily respect.
但却未赢得尊敬
Newland Archer had not stopped at his club,
纽伦德·阿切尔并未像时下的年轻人一般
as young men usually did,
在俱乐部盘桓
but came directly to the Beauforts.
他直接来到博弗特家豪宅参加舞会
He wanted the announcement of his engagement
藉机宣布婚讯
to divert gossip away from the Countess,
转移众人对伯爵夫人的闲言闲语
and show his most ardent support for May and her whole family.
并表示对梅及其亲族的支持
The Beaufort house had been boldly planned.
博弗特家的豪宅规划别出心裁
Instead of squeezing through a narrow passage
宾客无须挤进长廊
to get to the ballroom, one marched solemnly
可由宽敞的客厅
down a vista of enfiladed drawing rooms.
直趋宴会厅
Good evening.
晚上好
But only by actually passing through the Crimson Drawing Room
但穿过绛红色的客厅时
could one see The Return of Spring,
你会看到 春神再临
the much-discussed nude by Bouguereau,
布格瑞这幅充满争议的裸体画
which Beaufort had had the audacity to hang in plain sight.
只有博弗特家敢公开展示
- Good evening. - Good evening, Mr. Archer.
- 晚上好 - 晚上好 阿切尔先生
Archer enjoyed such challenges to convention.
阿切尔欣赏这种挑战传统的作风
He questioned conformity in private,
虽然他私下质疑墨守成规
but in public he upheld family and tradition.
但在人前他却不遗余力的支持传统
This was a world balanced so precariously
这个世界危危地保持平衡
that its harmony could be shattered by a whisper.
只要一声低语即可将它粉碎
On the whole, Archer was amused
总之 身旁这班假道学之人
by the smooth hypocrisies of his peers.
总令他觉得好玩
He may even have envied them.
甚至令他羡慕
Lawrence Lefferts, for instance,
例如劳伦斯·莱弗茨
was New York's foremost authority on form.
全纽约最讲究仪表的人
And his opinion on pumps versus patent-leather oxfords
他那套细分各种鞋的规矩
had never been disputed.
被奉为圭臬
On matters of surreptitious romance,
他四处猎艳
his skills went unquestioned.
手腕令人叹服
Old Mr. Sillerton Jackson was as great an authority on family
西勒顿·杰克逊先生熟知各家谱系
as Lawrence Lefferts was on form.
其权威性可比劳伦斯·莱弗茨之精研仪表
The mean and melancholy history of Countess Olenska's European marriage
奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人远嫁欧洲的惨痛经验
was a buried treasure he hastened to excavate.
他极欲一探究竟
He carried, like a calling card,
他就像个八卦活百科
an entire register of the scandals and mysteries
任何丑闻秘辛都一清二楚
that had smouldered under the unruffled surface
在表面太平的社交圈里
of society for the last 50 years.
闷烧了五十年的陈年往事
Julius Beaufort's secret was the way he carried things off.
尤利斯·博弗特的成功秘诀 在于他的处世之道
He could arrive casually at his own party,
他可以若无其事地
as if he were another guest,
光临自家舞会
and might also leave early for a more modest,
也可以大方地提早告辞
but comforting address in the East 30s.
溜进比较平民化的小公馆
Beaufort was intrepid in his business,
他在事业上勇往直前
but in his personal affairs absolutely audacious.
在私生活上却更加积极进取
Archer's fiancée was innocent to all of these intrigues and of much else.
阿切尔的未婚妻对此 还有其他很多都一无所知
May Welland represented for Archer all that was best in their world,
梅·韦兰德代表上流社会最美的一切
all that he honoured, and she anchored him to it.
也是阿切尔所崇尚的 她使他不脱离这些规范
You see, I've told all my friends, just as you've asked.
我依你的意思告诉大家了
Yes, I couldn't wait. Only I wish it hadn't had to be at a ball.
我等不及了 我可真不愿在舞会宣布
But even here, we're alone together.
即使人多 这里也只有我俩
The worst of it is that I want to kiss you, and I can't.
最糟的是我想吻你 但却不能
Newland.
纽伦德
Did you tell Ellen as I asked you to?
你告诉艾伦了吗
No, I didn't have the chance after all.
我找不到机会说
She's my cousin, Newland. If others know before she does...
她是我表姐 如果不先告诉她
It's just that she's been away for so long. She's rather sensitive.
她离开久了 会很敏感的
Of course I'll tell her, dearest, but I didn't see her yet.
我会说的 只是还没见到她
She decided not to come at the last minute.
她临时决定不来
At the last minute?
临时决定
She was afraid her dress wasn't smart enough.
她怕她的衣服不够美
We all thought it was so lovely,
我们都说好看
but she asked my aunt to take her home.
但她执意回家
Oh, well.
噢 原来如此
Very handsome. Very liberal.
很漂亮 很新潮
In my time,
想当年
a cameo set in pearls was thought to be sufficient.
浮雕宝石镶珠就算阔了
But it's the hand that sets off the ring, isn't it, my dear, Mr. Archer?
戴上的手才最能炫耀戒指
It's the new setting. It shows the stone beautifully.
新式镶法让宝石更加耀眼夺目
But it looks a little bare to old-fashioned eyes.
但老古板人会嫌样式过于简单
I hope you don't mean mine, my dear.
不是指我吧
I like all the novelties.
我喜欢新东西
My hands were modelled in Paris by the great Roche.
我请巴黎名家做过手部雕塑
He should do May's.
他该帮梅做一个
Show me, child.
让我瞧瞧 乖
Her hand is so tempered.
手都弄粗了
It's these modern sports that spread the joints.
那些时髦运动弄得关节粗大
But the skin is white.
幸好皮肤依然白皙
And when's the wedding to be?
婚礼何时举行
As soon as ever it can, if only you'll back me up, Mrs. Mingott.
就快了 如果您肯支持我 明戈特夫人
We must give them time to get to know each other a little better, Mamma.
我们该让小俩口好好认识彼此
Know each other?
认识彼此
Everybody in New York has always known everybody.
纽约世家子弟谁不认识谁
Don't wait till the bubble's off the wine.
有花堪折直须折
Marry them before Lent.
四月完婚吧
I may catch pneumonia any winter now, and I want to give the wedding breakfast.
说不定哪一天我会死于肺炎 而我要为他们办喜宴
What a kind offer.
你真疼孩子
Even if she had not been grandmother to May,
就算曼森·明戈特夫人不是梅的奶奶
Mrs. Manson Mingott would still have been the first
小俩口订婚后
to receive the required betrothal visit.
也一定会先拜见她
She was not only the matriarch of this world,
她不仅是上流社会的大家长
she was nearly its dowager empress.
简直可以呼风唤雨
Much of New York was already related to her,
纽约名流大多与她有亲戚关系
and she knew the remainder by marriage or by reputation.
其余不是婚后家属便是慕名之交
Though brownstone was the norm,
当时建筑惯用黄石砌墙
she lived magisterially within a large house
而她的豪宅外墙
of controversial pale cream-coloured stone
却大胆采用乳白色系石材
in an inaccessible wilderness near the Central Park.
座落于中央公园附近的密林中
The burden of her flesh had long since made it impossible
她老早就胖得
for her to go up and down stairs.
爬不动楼梯
So with characteristic independence,
因此她又如常地大胆
she had established herself on the ground floor of her house.
搬到楼下生活
From her sitting room, there was an unexpected vista of her bedroom.
从会客室可以窥见她的卧房
Her visitors were startled and fascinated,
那异国情调
by the foreignness of this arrangement,
总令访客惊叹不已
which recalled scenes in French fiction.
总令人联想起法国小说中
This was how women with lovers lived in the wicked old societies.
养着情夫的贵妇
But if Mrs. Mingott had wanted a lover,
其实她若愿意
the intrepid woman would have had him, too.
她大可养一个
For now she was content simply for life and passion
但她很满足于现状
to flow northward to her door
就让别人把生活要闻报告给她
and to anticipate eagerly the union of Newland Archer
她只期待纽伦德·阿切尔
with her granddaughter, May.
早日迎娶孙女梅
In them, two of New York's best families
如此一来 纽约的两大家族
would finally and momentously be joined.
终能结为亲家
- Bye, Mamma. - Good-bye.
- 再见 妈妈 - 再见
Ellen!
艾伦
- Ladies. Archer. - Aunt Tessa, May.
- 女士们 阿切尔 - 泰莎姨母 梅
Beaufort, this is a rare favour.
博弗特 你是罕有的大方
Unnecessarily rare, I'd say.
不需要这样罕有
I met Countess Ellen in Madison Square,
我遇见夫人
and she was good enough to let me walk home with her.
她让我陪她回家
This house will be merrier now that she's here.
有了她 这屋子将会欢乐许多
- Thank you. - Beaufort, pull up that tuffet.
- 谢谢 - 搬凳子来 博弗特
This one?
这个吗
I want a good gossip.
我要和你好好聊聊
Of course, you already know about May and me.
你知道我和梅订婚了
She scolded me for not telling you at the opera.
她老怪我没告诉你
Of course I know, and I'm so glad.
我早知道了 很开心
One doesn't tell such news first in a crowd.
这种喜事一定先得告诉亲人嘛
Careful there.
小心点
Don't let your ring catch on your sleeve.
别把戒指缠进袖子里
- Good-bye, Ellen. - Good-bye. Good-bye.
- 再见 艾伦 - 再见 再见
Good-bye.
再见
Come and see me someday.
有空来看我
It's a mistake for Ellen to be seen parading up
艾伦这么粗心 公然和尤利斯一起
Fifth Avenue with Julius Beaufort,
走在最多人的第五大道
at the crowded hour, the very day after her arrival.
而且就在她回国第一天
His behaviour is always so flagrant.
他生性风流
Even his wife must know about Annie Ring.
连他的太太都知道他有个情妇叫安妮·瑞茵
Sillerton Jackson enjoyed his frequent visits
西勒顿·杰克逊喜欢频频光顾阿切尔的家
to the Archer home more than the actual dining.
而并不在乎那一顿晚餐
Newland Archer's mother and his sister Janey were both shy women
纽伦德·阿切尔的母亲和妹妹珍妮都怕生
and shrank from society, but they like to be well-informed of its doings
不擅交际 却又爱听八卦
and doted on their bachelor friend.
所以全靠这位包打听先生
Certain nuances escape Beaufort.
博弗特不懂细节
Necessarily. Beaufort is a vulgar man.
当然啦 博弗特是个大老粗
Nevertheless, no business nuances escape him.
但他有生意手腕
Most of New York trusts him with its affairs.
很多人托他管理财产
My grandfather Newland always used to say to Mother,
我祖父常告诫我妈
"Don't let that fellow Beaufort be introduced to the girls."
千万别让博弗特认识我家的女孩子
At least he's had the advantage of association with gentlemen.
至少他有认识君子的机会
The Archers and the Mingotts were two of the sturdiest branches
阿切尔家和明戈特家
of New York's tangled family tree.
是纽约最显赫的两大家族
Granny Mingott's family could embrace May's traditionalism
明戈特家喜爱梅的传统娴静
and tolerate Ellen's unconventionality.
也能容忍艾伦的特立独行
But Archer's family held fast to the old ways.
但阿切尔家完全是老派作风
His mother and sister relied on him for every security.
他的母亲和妹妹凡事都得仰仗他
He would always be, Mrs. Archer assured May's mother,
他的母亲对梅的母亲说
their "strong right hand."
纽伦德是我们有力的臂膀
And our new cousin, was she at the ball, too?
我们新的亲家表姐去参加舞会了吗
I appreciate the Mingotts wanting to support her, to have her at the opera.
我欣赏明戈特家全为艾伦打气 邀她一同观赏歌剧
I admire their esprit de corps.
也佩服他们家的向心力
But why my son's engagement
但为何我儿子的喜讯
should be mixed up with this woman's comings and goings,
要跟这女人的来去搅在一起
I don't see.
我真搞不懂
Well, in any case, she was not at the ball.
总之她没去就是了
At least she had that decency.
算她识趣
Sir?
先生
Oh, no.
噢 不
I wonder if she wears a round hat or a bonnet in the afternoon.
下午她是戴阔边帽还是软帽
The dress she wore to the opera was so plain and flat.
她看戏穿的那衣服好普通
I'm sure it was in better taste not to go to the ball.
还是不去比较识趣
It wasn't a question of taste, Mother.
这与识趣无关 妈妈
May said the Countess decided her dress wasn't smart enough.
梅说她嫌衣服不够漂亮才没去
Poor Ellen.
可怜的艾伦
We must always remember the eccentric bringing-up she had.
别忘了她从小的教养有问题
What can you expect of a girl
一个会在成年舞会上
who was allowed to wear black satin at her coming out ball?
穿黑缎子的女人还有什么指望
It's odd she should've kept such an ugly name as Ellen
她嫁给伯爵后
when she married the Count.
还是没改掉艾伦这个俗气的名字
I should have changed it to Elaine.
换成是我 我就改成伊莲
Why?
为什么
I don't know.
我也不知道
It sounds more
这样听起来
Polish.
有波兰味
It certainly sounds more conspicuous,
那反而会太特别
and that can hardly be what she wishes.
她不会要的
Why not? Why shouldn't she be conspicuous if she chooses?
如果她选择特别 又有何不可
She made an awful marriage. But should she hide her head as if it's her fault?
她是嫁错人 但用不着隐姓埋名
Should she go slinking around as if she disgraced herself?
难道她就该见不得人 好像让自己丢了脸
She's had an unhappy life. That doesn't make her an outcast.
她遇人不淑就该遭人白眼
I'm sure that's the line the Mingotts mean to take.
我相信明戈特家的态度也跟他一样
I don't have to wait for their cue if that's what you mean, sir.
别以为我非跟他们一样不可
I'm told she's looking for a house.
听说她在找房子
She intends to live here.
准备长住
I hear she means to get a divorce.
听说她准备离婚
I hope she will.
希望如此
Understandably her marriage was intolerable.
这桩婚姻虽然使她饱受折磨
But there are the rumours, too.
但也有别的传言
I've heard them. The secretary.
我听说了 伯爵的秘书
He helped get her away from the husband.
他协助她逃离夫家
They say the Count kept her practically a prisoner.
听说伯爵限制她的行动
Certainly the Count had his own way of life.
那伯爵的生活方式是很特别
You knew him?
你认识他
I heard of him at Nice.
我在法国尼斯听过他的传闻
Handsome, they say, but...
一表人才
Eyes with a lot of lashes.
但睫毛过多
When he wasn't with women, he was collecting china.
他不是玩女人 就是玩瓷器
Paying any price for both, I understand.
对这两者都是一掷千金
Then where's the blame?
那么为何要怪罪于她
Anyone of us under the same circumstances would have helped the Countess,
任何人都该像那秘书一样
just as the secretary did.
帮助她
He was still helping her a year later then,
一年后他仍帮着她
because somebody met them living together at Lausanne.
有人在瑞士洛桑看见他俩同居
Living together?
同居
Well, why not? Who has the right to make her life over if she hasn't?
有何不可 她有权过自己的生活
Why should we bury a woman alive if her husband prefers to live with whores?
丈夫爱嫖 妻子就该守活寡吗
It's hardly a question of entombment.
没有人要她守寡啊
The Countess is here after all.
她不是到这里来了吗
Or do you believe
难道你赞成
a woman should share the same freedoms as men?
男女享有同等的自由吗
I suppose I do. Yes, I do.
没错 我相信
Well, apparently Count Olenski takes a similarly modern view.
她的观点显然跟你一样新潮
I never heard of him lifting a finger to get his wife back.
我从未听说伯爵试法使她回头
Three days later, the unthinkable happened.
三天后 发生了一件不可思议的事
Mrs. Manson Mingott sent out invitations
曼森·明戈特夫人发出请帖
summoning everyone to a formal dinner.
邀请大家前往餐叙
Such an occasion demanded the most careful consideration.
如此隆重的晚宴丝毫马虎不得
It required the appropriated plate.
餐具全是上上之选
It called for three extra footmen,
桌旁须多添三名仆役
two dishes for each course
每道菜都有两盘外
and a Roman punch in the middle.
还要柠檬甜酒
The dinner, New York read on the invitation,
请帖上写着
was "to meet the Countess Olenska."
为欢迎奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人而设宴
And New York declined.
纽约名门全都婉谢
"Regret unable to accept."
遗憾 恕难奉陪
And from some of our own family.
连我们自家人也不愿赏脸
No one cares enough even to conceal their feelings about the Countess.
根本没有人为她着想 就这样给她难堪
This is a disgrace.
真是情何以堪
They all lived in a kind of hieroglyphic world.
他们活在一个充满寓意的世界里
The real thing was never said or done or even thought,
从不具体表达真实的感受
but only represented by a set of arbitrary signs.
只是以约定俗成的寓意表示
Archer knew these signs.
纽伦德懂得这些寓意
They were not subtle and were not meant to be.
他们根本懒得掩饰
They were more than a simple snubbing.
这不仅是代表不理不睬
They were an eradication.
根本就是对她封杀
There was a single court of appeal.
有个地方 他可以去陈情
He would plead their case before the van der Luydens.
他要请冯·德·莱登老爷子主持公道
And all this, you think, is due to some intentional interference by...
你认为此事是有人在暗中搞鬼
Larry Lefferts. Yes, sir, I'm certain of it.
我敢肯定是拉瑞·莱弗茨
The van der Luydens dwelled above the city's families
冯·德·莱登夫妇德高望重
in a kind of super-terrestrial twilight.
地位崇高得近乎神圣
Archer appealed to their exquisitely refined sense of tribal order.
老爷子处事自有公断
And he spoke plainly.
纽伦德也直言无讳
Whenever poor Gertrude Lefferts begins
每当莱弗茨太太
to suspect her husband of something,
怀疑先生出轨时
Larry starts making some great diversionary fuss to show how moral he is.
他就收敛一阵子来转移注意力
Well, it's the principle that I dislike.
我最不喜欢这事的原则
I mean to say, if a member of a well-known family
如果一家名门的子弟
is backed by that family,
获得另一家名门的支持
it should be considered final.
整件事应该就不必争议了
We all felt this slight on the Countess should not pass without our consulting you.
大家冷落伯爵夫人一事 我相信应该来问问你们
So, we are giving a little dinner for our cousin, the Duke of St Austrey,
我们要为侄儿圣·奥斯特利公爵洗尘
who arrives next week on the Russia.
他搭的俄罗号 下周会到
I'm sure Louisa will be as glad as I am,
相信内人路易莎会和我一样开心
if Countess Olenska will let us include her among our guests.
如果奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人前来参加晚宴
The occasion was a solemn one,
当晚的场面极为隆重
but the Countess Olenska arrived rather late,
但伯爵夫人姗姗来迟
signalling a carelessness of which she was entirely unaware.
而她对自己的粗心仍毫不自觉
She entered without haste or embarrassment.
她大摇大摆 毫无愧容
The drawing room in which New York's most chosen company
走进坐满了纽约达官贵人的客厅
was somewhat awfully assembled.
可谓是冠盖云集
Countess Olenska.
奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人
Good evening.
晚上好
- We're delighted you're here. - Good evening.
- 欢迎光临 - 晚上好
The Duke of St Austrey, may I present Countess Olenska.
圣·奥斯特利公爵 这是奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人
The Trevenna George II plate was out.
他们动用了特瓦纳·乔治二世时的餐具
So was the van der Luyden Lowestoft from the East India Company.
还有来自东印度公司的冯·德·莱登·罗斯托夫细瓷
And the Dagonet Crown Derby.
以及达哥纳王冠德比瓷器
Dining with the van der Luydens was at best no light matter.
冯·德·莱登夫妇的这顿晚宴非同小可
Dining there with a duke who was their cousin
能跟这位公爵亲戚共进晚餐
was almost a religious solemnity.
简直犹如宗教仪式般隆重
When the van der Luydens chose, they knew how to give a lesson.
冯·德·莱登家执行的教训令人慑服
Excuse me.
失陪一下
It was not the custom in New York drawing rooms
在纽约上流社会的社交场合中
for a lady to get up and walk away from one gentleman
女士起身离开一名男士
in order to seek the company of another,
去跟另一名男士交谈 于礼不合
but the Countess did not observe this rule.
但伯爵夫人没有守这规则
I want you to talk to me about May.
我想让你跟我谈谈梅
You knew the Duke before?
你和公爵是旧识
From Nice. We used to see him every winter.
在尼斯 每年冬天都会见到他
He's very fond of gambling, and he used to come to our house a great deal.
他很喜欢赌博 常来我家玩大钱
He likes to wear the same suit every evening.
他每晚都穿着同一件西服
He thinks it brings him luck.
他认为它会带来好运
I think he's the dullest man I ever met.
我觉得他是世上最无趣的人
But he seems to be admired here.
但他在这儿却被捧上天了
May I tell you what most interests me about New York?
知道我最心仪纽约的哪一点吗
Not all the blind obeying of tradition, somebody else's tradition.
不盲目遵循别人的传统
It seems stupid to have discovered America only to make it a copy of another country.
把美国搞成外国的翻版就太可惜了
Do you suppose Christopher Columbus would have taken all that trouble
哥伦布会如此大费周章
just to go to the opera with Larry Lefferts?
只为和莱弗茨夫妇一同欣赏歌剧吗
Well, I think if he'd suspected that Lefferts were here,
如果哥伦布知道拉瑞·莱弗茨在这儿
the Santa Maria might never have left port.
他就不会出航了
And May, does she share these views?
梅的看法也和你一样吗
If she does, she'd never say so.
就算一样 她也不会说出口
Are you very much in love with her?
你深爱着她吗
As much as a man can be.
至死不渝
Do you think there's a limit?
这份爱可有极限
If there is, I haven't found it.
就算有 我也还没触碰到
It's really and truly a romance then,
如此说来 这是真爱
not in the least arranged.
而不是恭奉父母之命
Have you forgotten? In our country we don't allow our marriages to be arranged.
美国人的婚姻是不靠媒妁之言的
Yes, I forgot. I'm sorry.
对 我忘了 抱歉
I sometimes make these mistakes.
我总是犯这样的错误
I don't always remember that everything here is good.
我总忘了这里样样都好
That was bad where I came from.
而那儿一无是处
I'm so sorry.
抱歉
No.
不用
But you know you are among friends here.
这里全都是你的朋友
Yes, I know. That's why I came home.
我知道 这就是我回来的原因
Good evening, Louisa.
晚上好 路易莎
May I present May Welland.
容我介绍梅·韦兰德
You'll want to be with May.
你一定想去陪梅
I'm so pleased to meet you.
认识你十分荣幸
She's already surrounded. I have so many rivals.
她身旁已围满了我的情敌
Yes.
是啊
Then stay with me a little longer.
那就再陪我多坐一会儿吧
Yes.
Mr. Urban Dagonet, may I present the Countess Olenska.
达哥纳先生 容我介绍奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人
How do you do, my dear?
幸会
How do you do?
幸会
Tomorrow then, after 5:00 I'll expect you.
明天下午五点 我等你
Tomorrow.
明天见
Excuse me.
失陪一下
It was good of you to devote yourself to Madame Olenska
你人真好
so unselfishly, dear Newland.
肯这样为奥兰斯卡夫人出力
I told Henry he really must rescue you.
是我请亨利去救你的
I think I've never seen May looking lovelier.
我从未见过梅如此美丽
The Duke thinks her the handsomest woman in the room.
公爵认她是这里最出色的女子
It was my pleasure.
这是我的荣幸
Mr. Archer.
阿切尔先生
So how do you like this odd little house?
你对寒舍有何感觉
To me, it's like heaven.
我自以为犹如天堂
- You've arranged it delightfully. - Yes.
- 你布置得很雅致 - 是啊
Some of the things I managed to bring with me.
我设法带了些东西回来
Little pieces of wreckage.
婚变后的残骸
At least it's less gloomy than the van der Luydens',
至少不像冯·德·莱登家那么阴森
and not so difficult to be alone.
在这里独处也不会太煎熬
I am sure it's often thought the van der Luydens' is gloomy,
尽管很多人认为冯·德·莱登家很阴森
though I've never heard it said before.
但我倒是第一次亲耳听见
But tell me, do you really like to be alone?
你真的喜欢独处吗
As long as my friends keep me from being lonely.
有朋友作伴就不觉的寂寞
I see you've already chosen your corner.
你已经决定喜欢那儿
Yes.
是的
- Please, sit. - Thank you.
- 请坐 - 谢谢
This is the hour I like best.
这是我最喜欢的时刻
Don't you?
你呢
I was afraid you'd forgotten the hour.
我还以你早已将时间遗忘
I am sure Beaufort can be very intriguing.
大概博弗特有时也很有趣吧
He took me to see some houses. I'm told I must move.
他带我看了几处房子 大家都劝我一定要搬
Even though this street seems perfectly respectable.
尽管这里是高级住宅区
- Yes, but it's not fashionable. - Fashionable?
- 没错 但不够时髦 - 时髦
Is fashion such a serious consideration?
时髦与否真的那么重要吗
Among people who have nothing more serious to consider.
对那些没有更重要的事可操心的人而言
Perhaps I've been too independent.
或许是我太独立了吧
All I really want is to feel cared for and safe.
我只求有人给我关爱和安全感
Thank you. The van der Luydens do nothing by halves.
冯·德·莱登夫妇可说是全力出动了
All New York laid itself out for you last night.
昨晚纽约名流都来捧你的场
It was so kind. Such a nice party.
他们人真好 我玩得很开心
Cream or lemon?
奶油还是柠檬
Lemon, please.
柠檬 谢谢
The van der Luydens are the most powerful influence in New York society.
冯·德·莱登家族在社会上最有影响力
They very seldom receive because of Cousin Louisa's health.
他们因路易莎的健康不佳而绝少宴客
Perhaps that's the reason then.
或许就是这个理由吧
Thank you. "The reason"?
谢谢 理由
For their influence. They make themselves so rare.
愈神秘愈有影响力
But, of course, you must tell me.
但你一定得告诉我
No, it's you telling me.
不 你来告诉我
- Thank you. - Then we can both help each other.
- 谢谢 - 我们可以互相帮助
But I need help so much more.
可是我更需要帮忙
There are so many people all ready to tell you what to do.
已经有许多人告诉你该怎么做了
I think they're all a little angry with me for setting up for myself.
我独居 恐怕会使许多人不以为然
Still your family can advise you, show you the way.
至少你的家人会指点你
Is New York such a labyrinth?
纽约真的是个大迷宫吗
I thought it was all straight up and down, like Fifth Avenue.
我以为条条道路都如第五大道一般宽敞笔直
All the cross streets numbered,
每条街都有编号
and big, honest labels on everything.
每件东西都贴有大标签
Everything is labelled, but everybody is not.
每件东西都有标签 除了人以外
Then I must count on you for warnings, too.
我需要你的提醒
All the older women like and admire you. They want to help.
年长的女士都喜欢你 他们乐意伸出援手
I know. I know, as long as they don't hear anything unpleasant.
我知道 只要她们没听见什么传闻
Does no one here want to know the truth, Mr. Archer?
难道这里没人肯听实话
The real loneliness is living among all these kind people
真正的寂寞是住在这种好人之中
who only ask you to pretend.
他们要你戴上假面具
No, no, you mustn't.
不 千万别这么做
Madame Olenska.
奥兰斯卡夫人
Ellen.
艾伦
Does no one cry here either?
难道这里的人也都不哭吗
I suppose there's no need to.
大概是没有哭的必要吧
Mr. Archer, good evening.
阿切尔先生 晚上好
We didn't see you this morning
今早没见到你
and we weren't sure whether to send Miss Welland the usual...
我们不知是否要送花给韦兰德小姐
Lilies-of-the-valley. Yes, I think we better make that a standing order.
以后每天一束百合
Very good, sir.
好的 先生
And those yellow roses. I'll give you another address.
还有那些黄玫瑰 我给你另一个地址
Very good.
好的
奥兰斯卡夫人 纽伦德·阿切尔先生
George!
乔治
Mr. Archer, two separate orders.
阿切尔先生 两束花分送两处
They'll go at once?
马上送出吗
At once, sir.
马上 先生
It's wonderful to wake every morning
能闻着百合香醒来
with lilies-of-the-valley in my room.
感觉真好
It's like being with you.
就像你在身旁
They came late yesterday, I know. Somehow the time got away from me.
昨天花送迟了 我忘了时间
But still you always remember.
但你总会记起来的
I sent some roses to your Cousin Ellen, too. Was that right?
我也送了玫瑰给艾伦 可以吗
Very right.
当然可以
She didn't mention it at lunch today though.
但今天午餐时她没提起
She said she got some wonderful orchids from Mr. Beaufort,
她说博弗特先生送给她漂亮的兰花
and a whole hamper of carnations from Cousin Henry van der Luyden.
亨利·冯·德莱登也送她一篮康乃馨
She was so very delighted.
她好开心
Don't people send flowers in Europe?
难道欧洲人都不送花吗
I know you do consider it a long time.
我知道你觉得订婚期太长
Very long.
没错
But the Chiverses were engaged for a year and a half.
可是奇弗斯夫妇订婚一年半
Larry Lefferts and Gertrude were engaged for two.
莱弗茨夫妇更长达两年
I'm sure Mamma expects something customary.
妈妈希望我们能依照传统
Ever since you were little, your parents let you have your way.
你从小就有主见
You're almost 22. Just tell your mother what you want.
你也快二十二岁了 何妨跟你母亲直说
I couldn't refuse her the very last thing she'd ask of me as a little girl.
我不能拒绝她对我的最后要求
Can't we just strike out for ourselves, May?
难道我们就不能任性一点吗
Shall we elope?
难道我们应该私奔
Well, if you would, why not?
如果你愿意 有何不可
You do love me, Newland. I'm so happy.
你是真心爱我 我好开心
Well, why not be happier?
你可以更快乐的
I couldn't be happier, dearest.
无法更快乐了 亲爱的
Did I tell you I showed Ellen the ring?
我拿戒指给艾伦看
She thought it was the most beautiful setting she ever saw.
她说没见过比这更漂亮的
She said there was nothing like it in the Rue de la Paix.
连巴黎的款式也比不上
I do love you, Newland.
我好爱你 纽伦德
Everything you do is so special.
你做的每件事都好特别
I want to call on your legal skills for a rather delicate matter.
这案子很棘手 我得借重你的长才
Countess Olenska wants to sue her husband for divorce.
奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人想离婚
It's been suggested she means to marry again, although she denies it.
有人说她想再婚 尽管她矢口否认
Because of... I beg your pardon, sir, but because of my engagement,
请恕我因订婚之故
perhaps one of the other members of the firm could consider this matter.
你可否另请高明
But precisely because of your prospective alliance,
正因为你与她将有亲属关系
and considering that several members of the family have already asked for you,
她的家人也指明要你
I'd like you to consider the case.
希望你能考虑接下
It's a family matter. Perhaps it's best settled by the family.
这是家务事 自家人出面协调比较妥当
Their position is clear.
他们的态度相当明确
They're entirely and rightly against a divorce.
他们坚决反对离婚
But Countess Olenska still insists on a legal opinion.
但奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人坚持要请教律师
But really, what's the use of a divorce?
但说真格的 何必要离婚
She's here. He's there.
她在美国 他在英国
The whole Atlantic's between them.
中间隔着大西洋
As things go, Olenski's acted generously.
伯爵最近很慷慨
He's already returned some of the money without being asked.
他主动归还一部分钱
She'll never get a dollar more than that.
但也不会再多给了
Although I understand she attaches no importance to the money.
当然啦 她并不在乎钱
Considering all that, the wisest thing really, is to do as the family say.
所以最好还是依她家人的意愿
Just let well enough alone.
就让事情这样子吧
I think that's for her to decide.
我认为此事应由她决定
Have you considered the consequences
你是否仔细想过
if the Countess decides for divorce?
离婚会有什么影响吗
The consequences for the Countess?
对她的影响吗
For everyone.
对每个人的影响
I don't think the Count's accusations amount to anything more than vague charges.
伯爵对她只是做出大概的控诉
It will make for some talk.
但总会惹来闲言闲语
Well, I have heard talk about the Countess and the secretary.
我听说过伯爵夫人和那秘书
I heard it even before I read the legal papers.
没看见文件前就听说了
It's certain to be unpleasant.
这终究不是一件令人舒服的事
Unpleasant?
不令人舒服
Divorce is always unpleasant. Don't you agree?
离婚总是令人不舒服吧
Naturally.
当然
Then I can count on you?
那么我就拜托你了
The family can count on you.
她全家都拜托你了
You will use your influence against a divorce?
你会劝她打消此意吧
I can't promise that, not until I've talked to the Countess.
我先和她谈谈再说吧
I don't understand you, Mr. Archer.
我真搞不懂你
You want to marry into a family
为何不让你的亲家
with a scandalous divorce suit hanging over it?
免掉离婚官司呢
I don't think that has anything to do with the case.
这跟我的婚约是两回事
Can someone take this for me to the Countess, please?
可否派人将这个送给伯爵夫人
重要
我必须见你
Thank you.
谢谢
You refuse such an invitation on threat of death.
敢不去你就死定了
Is it so bad?
真有这么可怕
Not if you have a taste for slow agony.
不然就等着大家慢慢折磨你吧
That's something I've neglected to cultivate.
我禁不起折磨的
Three days at Skuytercliff with the van der Luydens.
在冯·德·莱登家住三天
I think you better take your fur and a hot water bottle.
带着皮裘大衣和热水瓶去吧
Is the house that cold?
那房里有那么冷吗
No, but Louisa is.
不 但路易莎令人不寒而栗
Mr. Archer.
阿切尔先生
Join me at Delmonico's on Sunday instead.
星期天到狄摩尼餐厅来吧
I'm having a nice oyster supper in your honour.
我请你吃生蠔
Private room, congenial company. Artists and so on.
包厢 风雅人士作陪
That's very tempting. I haven't met a single artist since I've been here.
真令人心动 我回来后还没见过艺术家
I know one or two painters I could bring to see you if you'd allow me.
我可以介绍一些画家给你认识
Painters? Are there any painters in New York?
画家 纽约还有画家吗
Thank you, but I was really thinking of singers,
谢谢 但我想认识的是歌星
actors, musicians, dramatic artists.
演员 和音乐家等演艺人员
There were always so many at my husband's house.
我夫家常有许多音乐家来
May I write tomorrow and let you know?
明天再告诉你决定吧
It's too late to decide this evening.
现在太晚了
- Is this late? - Yes.
- 现在叫晚吗 - 是的
Because I still have to talk business with Mr. Archer.
因为我还有要事和阿切尔先生谈
Of course, Newland,
当然啦 纽伦德
if you can persuade the Countess to change her mind about Sunday,
如果你能让她改变心意
you can join us, too.
欢迎你来作陪
You know painters then? You live in their milieu?
你认识画家 经常来往吗
Not exactly.
那倒没有
But you care about such things?
你喜欢画作
Immensely. When I'm in Paris or London, I never miss an exhibition.
当然 我在欧洲从不错过画展
I try to keep up.
我很留意画坛动态
I used to care immensely, too.
以前我也热爱绘画
My life was full of such things,
我的生活总充满了艺术气息
but now I want to cast off all my old life to become a complete American
但我要忘掉过去 完全美国化
and try to be like everybody else.
就像其他人一样
I don't think you'll ever quite be like everybody else.
你永远都不会和其他人一样
Don't say that to me, please.
别这么说
I just want to put all the old things behind me.
我想忘掉过去
I know.
我知道
Mr. Letterblair told me.
莱特布赖尔先生告诉过我
Mr. Letterblair?
莱特布赖尔先生
Yes, I've come because he asked me to. I'm in the firm.
对 是他要我来的 我们在同一家事务所
You mean it'll be you who'll manage everything for me?
这么说是你负责我的案子
I can talk to you. That's so much easier.
我可以和你谈 那太好了
Yes, I'm here to talk about it.
对 我就是为此而来的
I've read all the legal papers.
所有文件我都看过了
And the letter from the Count.
还有伯爵寄来的信件
It was vile.
写得很恶毒
But if he chooses to fight the case,
可是如果决定打官司
he can say things that might be...
他可能说一些 呃
That might be disagreeable to you.
对你很不利的话
And say them publicly,
并闹得满城风雨
so that they could be damaging even if...
那些话是毁灭性的 即使
If?
即使什么
Even if they were unfounded.
即使毫无根据
What harm could accusations like that do me here?
我在这儿 他怎么中伤我
Perhaps more harm than anywhere else.
此地的流言杀伤力极强
Our legislation favours divorce, but our social customs don't.
尽管法律允许离婚 但民情不容
Never?
没有例外吗
Well, not if the woman
尤其是如果女方
has appearances in the least degree against her,
起码表面上 无论怎样轻微也好
has exposed herself by any unconventional behaviour,
以任何非传统方法也好
to offensive insinuations and...
有难堪的绯闻
Yes, so my family tell me.
我的家人也是这么说的
Our family. You'll be my cousin soon.
我们的家人 你将成为我的表妹夫
And you agree with them?
你也同意他们的说法
What could you possibly gain that would make up for the scandal?
什么事让你冒险离婚
My freedom.
自由
But aren't you free already?
你不是已经自由了吗
It's my business to help you see these things just the way
职责所在 我得让你知道
the people who are fondest of you see them, all your friends and relations.
那些关爱你的人对离婚的看法
If I didn't show you honestly how they judge such matters,
如果我没告诉你
it wouldn't be fair of me, would it?
就是没尽到责任
No, it wouldn't be fair.
没错
Very well. I'll...
好吧
Do as you wish.
我依你就是了
I...
I do want to help you.
我真的很想帮你
You do help me.
你的确帮了我
Good night, cousin.
晚安 表妹夫
For mercy's sake, don't cry so bitterly.
求求你 别哭得那么凄惨
Forget what I've done.
忘掉我所做的一切
On one condition.
除非你答应我
I accept it, whatever it may be.
不管是什么条件我都答应
Never speak a word of love to me again!
别再说你爱我
Never!
永远不会
On my honour.
我发誓
Heaven bless you.
上天保佑你
Farewell.
永别了
It's fascinating.
精彩极了
Every season, the same play, the same scene,
每年这戏中一幕
the same effect on the audience.
总是令观众感动不已
Remarkable, isn't it, Newland?
很精彩吧 纽伦德
I'm enjoying it even more than the London production.
比我在伦敦看的还精彩
You see this play even when you travel?
你出国还看呀
- I travel to get away from it. - So was it a dinner?
- 我出国就是为了不想看这戏 - 那天是晚宴
It was a reception at Mrs. Struthers'
斯特拉瑟斯太太作东
given on the Lord's Day but with champagne
虽订在礼拜天
and singing from the table tops.
但不仅有香槟和在桌上歌唱
People say there was dancing.
听说还有舞会
It was a real French Sunday then?
这么说是法国式的礼拜天
Well, dissipation can be wonderfully energising in the early stages...
堕落的早期可真令人兴奋
Do you think her lover will send her a box of yellow roses tomorrow morning?
你认为她的情人明天会送黄玫瑰吗
I...
I was thinking about that, too.
我也在想这个问题
The farewell scene.
告别的那一幕
Yes, I know.
我知道
It touches me as well.
我也深受感动
I usually leave the theatre after that scene to take the picture away with me.
散场时我总是尽快离去 以免那一幕的情景挥之不去
I had a letter from May from St Augustine.
我收到梅从圣奥斯汀捎来的信
They always spend the winter there,
他们总是南下避寒
on account of her mother's bronchitis.
因为她母亲有支气管炎
And what do you do while May is away?
梅不在时你都做些什么
I do my work.
工作
I do want you to know what you advised me was right.
我要告诉你 你的建议很对
Things can be so difficult sometimes, and I'm so grateful.
世事总令人饱受煎熬 我很感激你
The next day Newland Archer searched the city in vain
隔天 纽伦德·阿切尔为了寻找黄玫瑰
for yellow roses.
走遍全纽约却依然没找到
From his office, he sent a note to Madame Olenska
他写了一封信给奥兰斯卡夫人
asking to call that afternoon,
表示当天想去看她
and requesting reply by messenger.
并要信差等她的答覆
There was no reply that day or the next.
但她却毫无表示 次日亦然
And when yellow roses were again available, Archer passed them by.
当黄玫瑰再度出现时 纽伦德却匆匆走过
It was only on the third day that he heard from her by post,
第三天他才接到她的信
from the van der Luydens' country home.
是从冯·德·莱登的别墅寄出的
"Newland, I ran away the day after I saw you at the play,
纽伦德 那天在剧院看见你后 我便赶紧逃离
"and these kind friends have taken me in.
好心的路登夫妇收留了我
"I wanted to be quiet and think things over.
我想静静地思考
"I feel so safe here. I wish that you were with us.
这里很安全 真希望你也在这里
"Yours sincerely."
谨此
He had received an invitation from the Lefferts for a weekend on the Hudson,
莱弗茨邀他去哈德逊河度周末
and he hoped it was not too late to reply.
他连忙答应
Their house was not far from the van der Luydens'.
因为那儿离冯·德·莱登的别墅不远
I came to see what you were running away from.
我来了解你到底在逃避什么
I knew you'd come.
我知道你会来的
That shows you wanted me to.
那表示你想见我
Cousin May wrote. She asked you to take care of me.
梅在信上说要我照顾你
- I didn't need to be asked. - Why?
- 其实不用她吩咐 - 为什么
Does that mean I'm so helpless and defenceless?
我就这么孤苦无依吗
Or that women here are so blessed, they never feel need?
还是这儿的女人都太有福气 什么都不缺
What sort of need?
缺什么
Ohh. Please don't ask me.
噢 拜托 别考我
I don't speak your language.
我们说的不是同一门语言
Henry left the old Patroon house open for me. I want you to see it.
亨利把祖传老宅借给我住 我带你去看
When you wrote me, you were unhappy.
信中的你并不开心
Yes, but I can't feel unhappy when you're here.
对 但有你在身旁就不同了
I shan't be here long.
我不能久留
I know.
我知道
Ellen, if you really wanted me to come,
如果你真的希望我来
if I'm really to help you,
如果真要我的帮助
you must tell me what you're running from.
你必须老实说你究竟在躲什么
Is he what you were running from?
你是在躲避他吗
Or what you expected?
还是在等他
I didn't know he was here.
我不知道他也来了
Hello, Beaufort. This way.
你好 博弗特 这边请
Madame Olenska was expecting you.
奥兰斯卡夫人正在等你
Hello.
你好
Well, you've certainly led me on a bit of a chase.
你让我找得好苦
All this way just to tell you I'd found the perfect little house for you.
我大老远来 只想告诉你 房子找到了
It's not on the market yet, so you must take it at once.
还没公开出售 要买就得趁现在
Well, Archer, rusticating?
阿切尔 你也来隐居吗
That night he did not take the customary comfort
那一夜 他订的书从伦敦寄来
in his monthly shipment of books from London.
却无法令他像往日一般开怀
The taste of the usual was like cinders in his mouth.
单调的日子使他倍感无趣
And there were moments when he felt
有时他甚至觉得
as if he were being buried alive under his future.
他快被往后的日子活埋
"Newland, come late tomorrow. I must explain to you.
纽伦德 明天晚点来 我得向你解释
"Ellen."
艾伦
Newland. Has anything happened?
发生了什么事吗
Yes. I found I had to see you.
对 我非见你不可
- What is it? - Nothing.
- 怎么啦 - 没什么
So tell me what you do all day?
你每天做些什么事
Well, there are a few very pleasant people
有些人从费城和巴尔的摩而来
from Philadelphia and Baltimore who are picnicking at the inn,
他们在旅馆举行野宴
and the Merrys are setting up a lawn tennis court,
莫家弄了个草地网球场
but nobody here's really heard of the game yet.
可是没有人会打
I have my racket, of course, and so does Kate Merry,
只有我和凯特带了球拍
but she's had this terrible case of bronchitis.
可她有严重的支气管炎
She's still not quite got over it yet, so...
她还没完全康复
But I thought... I came here because I thought
我来这里
I could persuade you to break away from all that,
就是希望你能避开那些社交
to advance our engagement.
尽快跟我结婚
Don't you understand how much I want to marry you?
你知道我有多么想娶你吗
Why should we dream away another year?
我们何必再浪费一年呢
I'm not sure I do understand, Newland.
我就是不明白
Is it because you're not certain of feeling the same way about me?
你对我是否变了心
What on earth do you mean?
你在胡说些什么
Is there someone else?
是不是有第三者
Someone else?
第三者
Between you and me?
你我之间
Let's talk frankly, Newland.
我们把话谈开来吧
I've felt a difference in you, especially since our engagement.
我觉得你变了 特别是在我们订婚之后
Since our engagement?
什么
If it's untrue, then it won't hurt to talk about it.
如果没有 谈谈也无妨
And if it is true, then why shouldn't we talk about it now?
如果有 我们更需要谈谈
I mean, you might have made a mistake.
或许你找错了对象
If I'd made some sort of a mistake, would I be down here,
如果你不是我的理想对象
asking you to hurry our marriage?
我会催你尽快与我结婚吗
I don't know. You might.
或许吧
It would be one way to settle the question.
使自己没有选择的余地
In Newport, two years ago,
两年前在新港
before we were promised,
我们订婚之前
everyone said there was someone else for you.
大家都说你另有所爱
I even saw you with her once,
我看过你们在舞会时
sitting together on a veranda at a dance.
一起坐在阳台上
When she came into the house, her face looked so sad.
她进门时神情落寞
I felt sorry for her, and even after, when we were engaged,
我真为她难过 订婚之后
I could still see how she looked and...
我仍忘不掉她的神情
Is that... Is that all you've been concerned about?
你就是在担心这个
It's long passed.
那早就过去了
Then is there something else?
那么是其他事吗
No. Of course not.
没有 当然没有
Whatever it may have been, Newland,
无论如何 纽伦德
I can't have my happiness made out of a wrong to somebody else.
我不能将快乐建筑在别人的痛苦上
If promises were made, or if you feel in some way pledged to this person,
假如你对别人许下誓言
even if it means her getting a divorce,
即使对方得因此而离婚
then, Newland, don't give her up because of me.
也别为我而舍弃她
There are no pledges.
这根本就是子虚乌有
There are no promises that matter.
我没对别人许下誓言
That's all I've been trying to say.
我一直想对你说
There is no one between us. There is nothing between us, May.
我们之间没有第三者
Which is precisely my argument for getting married.
所以我才催你
Quickly.
尽快与我结婚
He could feel her dropping back to inexpressive girlishness.
他觉得她又变回了纯真的小女孩
Her conscience had been eased of its burden.
她总算释怀了
It was wonderful, he thought, how such depths of feeling
他心想 真美妙 如此的深情
could coexist with such an absence of imagination.
却和如此缺乏想象力共聚一身
- And did you succeed? - No.
- 成功了吗 - 没有
No, I'd still like to be married in April, with your help.
还是希望您能帮我在四月完婚
Now you're seeing the Mingott way.
你总算见识了明戈特家的厉害
Is this really so difficult?
他们果真如此顽固不灵
The entire family is difficult.
这个家族一向如此
Not one of them wants to be different.
个个是老古板
When they are different, they end up like Ellen's parents.
不然就像艾伦的父母一样
Nomads, continental wanderers.
简直是欧陆的游牧民族
Dragging Ellen about,
带着艾伦到处去
lavishing on her an expensive, but incoherent education.
为她花了大钱受教育 但总是断断续续
Out of all of them, I don't believe there's one
在所有孙辈中
that takes after me but my little Ellen.
就属艾伦最像我了
You've got a quick eye.
你很有眼光
Why in the world didn't you marry her?
为何没娶她
Well, for one thing, she wasn't there to be married.
她不在国内 我无缘娶她
No, to be sure.
说得也是
And she's still not. The Count, you know.
现在还是娶不成 伯爵 你知道
He's written to Mr. Letterblair.
写信给莱特布赖尔先生
He wants her back, on her own terms.
要她回心转意 条件随她开
The Count doesn't defend himself, I will say that.
伯爵倒没为自己强辩
And Ellen will be losing a great deal if she stayed here.
如果她执意不回去 那将会是她的损失
There's her old life,
那里有她熟悉的生活
gardens at Nice, jewels, of course, music and conversation.
尼斯的花园 珠宝 音乐和清谈
She says she goes unnoticed in Europe,
她说她在欧洲默默无闻
but I know her portrait's been painted nine times.
但我知道 光是她的肖像画就有九幅
All this, and the remorse of a guilty husband.
此外 还有一个有心赔罪的丈夫
I'd rather see her dead.
我宁可她死
Would you really?
真的吗
We should remember marriage is marriage, and Ellen is still a wife.
你必须记得婚姻就是婚姻 艾伦已为人妻
Ellen! See who's here!
艾伦 瞧瞧谁来了
Yes, I know.
我知道
I went to see your mother to ask where you've gone.
我去问你妈你去哪儿了
Since you never answered my note, I was afraid you might be ill.
你老是不给回信 我还担心你病了
Well, he was in such a rush to get married, that's why.
因为他正忙着结婚
Fresh off the train, and straight here.
他一下火车就往我这儿跑
He wants me to use all my influence just to marry his sweetheart sooner.
求我为他说情 让他早点把心上人娶进门
Well, surely, Granny, between us,
这个嘛
we can persuade the Wellands to do as he wishes.
我们都能劝说韦兰德家照他的意思去办
There, Newland, you see? Right to the quick of the problem, like me.
纽伦德 听见没 一针见血 就像我一样
I told him he should have married you.
我才跟他说他应该娶你的
And what did he say?
他怎么说
Oh, my darling,
噢 乖孙女啊
I leave you to find that out.
自己去找答案吧
I wish I didn't have to leave.
可惜我不能久留
I shall see you very soon, I hope.
我会尽快来看你的
Fine.
I'll see you out.
我送你
When can I see you?
何时可去找你
The Struthers are sending the carriage at 7:00.
斯特拉瑟斯家会在七点派车来接我
Good evening.
晚上好
Who's ridiculous enough to send me a bouquet?
谁发神经送花给我
I'm not going to a ball, and I'm not engaged.
我没要去舞会 也没订婚
Nastasia!
纳斯塔西娅
尤利斯·博弗特先生 谨献
Some people are always ridiculous.
就是有人这么神经
Take these to that nice family down the street.
把这些花送给街尾那户人家
Well, I'll tell you, in almost everything she says,
嗯 她说的话有些真实
there's something true and something untrue.
也有虚假的成分
Why?
为什么
What has Granny been telling you?
奶奶跟你说了些什么
I think she believes you might go back to your husband.
她认为你会回到丈夫身旁
I think she believes you might at least consider it.
她相信你至少会考虑一下
A lot of things have been believed of me.
很多人相信我会做好些东西
But if she thinks I would consider it,
如果她相信我会考虑
that also means she would consider it for me,
那表示她在代我考虑
as Granny is weighing your idea of advancing the marriage.
也同时在考虑让你提早结婚
May and I had a frank talk in Florida.
我和梅在佛州已经把话谈开了
It's probably our first.
那或许是我们的第一次
She wants a long engagement, to give me time.
她想晚一点结婚 给我多一点时间
Time for what?
多一点时间干嘛
She thinks I want to marry her at once...
她认为我急着与她结婚
To get away from someone that I care for
是为了逃避某人
more.
一个我用情更深的人
Time to give her up for another woman?
让你有时间为别的女人放弃她
If I want to.
如果我够绝情的话
That's very noble.
她简直是个圣人
Yes.
没错
But it's ridiculous.
真是荒谬至极
Why?
怎么说
Because there is no other woman?
因为根本没有第三者
No.
是因为
Because I don't mean to marry anyone else.
因为我非她莫娶
This other woman, does she love you too?
那个第三者也深爱着你吗
There is no other woman! The person May was thinking of was never...
根本没有第三者 梅所怀疑的人根本就
That must be your carriage.
一定是接你的马车来了
Yes, I...
I suppose I should be leaving soon.
我该走了
To Mrs. Struthers'?
到斯特拉瑟斯家去吗
Yes. I must go where I'm invited, or I should be too lonely.
对 人家邀我去 我就赴约 一个人太寂寞了
Why not come with me?
为何不同我一起去呢
May guessed the truth.
其实梅猜得没错
There is another woman.
的确有第三者
Only, not the one she thinks.
但不是她担心的那一个
Don't make love to me, too many people have done that.
别对我调情 太多人对我调情
I've never made love to you.
我是真心的
But you are the woman I would've married
如果可以
if it had been possible for either of us.
我要娶你
You can say that when you're the one who's made it impossible?
是你让它成为不可能的
- I've made it? - Isn't it you who made me give up divorcing?
- 我 - 你叫我别离婚
Didn't you talk to me here, in this house,
你在这屋里劝我要牺牲
about sacrifice and sparing scandal?
免得遭人议论
And for May's sake, and for yours, I did what you asked me!
为了成全你们 我乖乖听你的话
There were things in your husband's letter...
你丈夫在信里说你
I had nothing to fear from that letter, absolutely nothing.
那封信唬不了我的
I was just afraid of scandal for the family and you and May.
我只担心你和梅 还有我的家人
Ellen.
艾伦
Ellen.
艾伦
Nothing's...
没有什么
Nothing's done that can't be undone.
没有什么是无法挽回的
I'm still free.
我仍单身
You can be, too.
你也可以
Please, Ellen.
求你告诉我
Lord, can I marry May now? Do you see me marrying May now?
现在我还能娶梅吗 你愿意看见我娶她吗
I don't see you putting that question to May, do you?
你认为你可以问她这个吗
But I have to.
事已至此
It's too late to do anything else.
我别无选择
You say that because it's the easiest thing to say at this moment,
这不是真的
not because it's true.
你只是在逃避
I don't understand you.
我真搞不懂你
You don't understand because you don't yet realise
因为你不知道
how you've changed things for me.
你已改变了我
You don't know all that you've done.
你对你所做的事浑然不知
All I've done?
我做的事
All the good things you've done for me, Newland, that I never knew.
你暗中为我做的事
Going to the van der Luydens' because people refused to meet me.
你去找冯·德·莱登 只因大家都不理我
Announcing your engagement at the ball so there would be
在舞会上宣布婚讯
two families standing behind me instead of one.
如此一来多了一个家族支持我
I never understood how dreadful people thought I was.
从前我并不知道别人是如此地鄙视我
Granny blurted it out one day.
直到外婆有一天不小心说溜了嘴
I was stupid. I never thought...
我好傻
New York meant freedom to me.
我总以为到了纽约我就自由了
Everyone seemed so kind, and glad to see me.
每个人都那么好 那么乐于见到我
But they never knew what it meant to be tempted,
他们怎会知道禁欲的痛苦
but you did, you understood.
但你全都了解
I'd never known that before.
这些我从不知道
And it's better than anything I've known.
而且比我所知的一切都还可贵
Newland, you couldn't be happy if it meant being cruel.
若你狠心 你也不会快乐
If we act any other way,
我怎能要你变心
I'll be making you act against what I love in you most.
我就是因你的人品而爱你
And I can't go back to that way of thinking.
我再也无法任性而为
Don't you see? I can't love you, unless I give you up.
难道你不懂吗 除非放弃你 否则我无法爱你
"Ellen, Granny's telegram was successful.
艾伦 奶奶果然不同凡响
"Grandma and Mamma agreed to marriage after Easter, only a month.
我妈妈已决定让我们在四月结婚 只剩一个月了
"I will telegraph Newland. I'm too happy for words, and love you dearly.
我会通知纽伦德 无法形容我内心的喜悦
"Your grateful cousin, May."
感激你的梅
There had been wild rumours right up to the wedding day
婚礼之前盛传
导演客串出演摄影师一角
that Mrs. Mingott would actually attend the ceremony.
明戈特老夫人要亲自观礼
It was known that she had sent a carpenter to measure the front pew,
她甚至请木匠去量教堂的长椅
in case it might be altered to accommodate her.
了解是否需要加大
But this idea, like the great lady herself, proved to be unwieldy,
不过最后她还是作罢
and she settled for giving the wedding-breakfast.
只决定在上午宴请大家
The Countess Olenska sent her regrets.
奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人表示
She was travelling with an aunt.
将有远行而无法出席
But gave the bride and groom an exquisite piece of old lace.
但她送了一匹蕾丝贺喜
Two elderly aunts in Rhinebeck offered a honeymoon cottage.
两位姨妈提供了蜜月小套房
And, since it was thought very English to have a country house on loan,
当时英国贵族也流行这样
their offer was accepted.
小俩口欣然接受
When the house proved suddenly uninhabitable, however,
不过后来发现小屋不能住
Henry van der Luyden stepped in to offer an old cottage
但亨利·冯·德莱登慷慨借出
on his property nearby.
他住家附近的别墅
May accepted the offer as a surprise for her husband.
梅接受了 好让纽伦德惊喜
She'd never seen the house,
她没见过这房子
but her cousin, Ellen, had mentioned it once.
只听艾伦提起过
She had said it was the only house in America
她说全美国只有这里
where she could imagine being perfectly happy.
让她觉得幸福可期
They travelled to the expected places, which May had never seen.
他们到了上流社会蜜月必经之地 梅从未去过
In London, Archer ordered his clothes.
纽伦德在伦敦订做新衣
And they went to the National Gallery, and sometimes to the theatre.
两人同游国家画廊 一起欣赏歌剧
I hope I don't look ridiculous.
希望这套衣服不会太俗气
I've never dined out in London.
我没在伦敦参加过晚宴
English women dress just like everybody else in the evening, don't they?
英国妇女的晚礼服和其他人一样
How can you say that when they're always at the theatre
可是她们在剧院里
in old ball dresses and bare heads?
都穿着旧礼服
Well, maybe they save their new dresses for home.
或许把新衣留在家里穿吧
Then I shouldn't have worn this.
这么说我不该穿这一件
No, you look very fine.
你这样很好看
Really quite beautiful.
真的很好看
In Paris, she ordered her clothes.
她在巴黎添购了许多新衣
There were trunks of dresses from Worth.
出自御用裁缝之手 买了几大箱
They visited the Tuileries.
他们还逛了图勒花园
May's hands were modelled in marble at Roche's studio.
梅的双手也被制成了大理石雕像
And occasionally, they dined out.
他们偶尔应邀作客
But tell me. You were saying that you were actually advised here by Maupassant?
莫泊桑真的教你写作吗
Yes. Unfortunately, I was advised not to write.
对 不幸的是他劝我就此封笔
Archer embraced his new marriage,
阿切尔沉浸在新婚的喜悦中
even as he reverted to his old inherited ideas about matrimony.
甚至恢复了对婚姻的看法
It was less trouble to conform with tradition.
毕竟依照传统总是比较省事
There was no use trying to emancipate a wife
解放给梅也是徒然
who hadn't the dimmest notion that she was not free.
她丝毫不觉得自己受到束缚
When we were in London,
我们在伦敦时
we could only manage one day at the National.
只在国家画廊待了一天
We were taken up by a Mrs. Carfry and Mrs. Harle...
我们还去了卡太太和哈太太家
We had an awfully good talk. He's an interesting fellow.
我们相谈甚欢 他很有意思
We talked about books, and many different things.
我们聊了书本等等的事
I thought I'd invite him to dinner.
我想邀他共进晚餐
- The Frenchman? - Yes.
- 那个法国人 - 对
I didn't have much chance to talk to him,
我和他谈话的机会不多
but wasn't he a little common?
他不是很粗俗吗
Common?
粗俗
I thought he was clever.
我认为他很聪明
I suppose I shouldn't have known if he was clever.
我倒没发现到这一点
Then, I won't ask him to dine.
我不邀他就是了
With a chill, he knew that in future,
他突然感到一阵凉意
many problems would be solved for him in this same way.
以后有很多问题 将会如此为他先行解决
The first six months of marriage were usually said to be the hardest.
人们说新婚后半年最难相处
And after that, he thought they would have
之后
pretty nearly finished polishing down all the rough edges.
双方的棱角都被磨平了
But May's pressure was already wearing down
但梅施的压力 把他最想保持的棱角
the very roughness he most wanted to keep.
都快要磨平了
As for the madness with Madame Olenska,
对于奥兰斯卡夫人的渴望
Archer trained himself to remember it
他强迫自己
as the last of his discarded experiments.
将它当成婚前最后一次考验
She remained in his memory simply as the most plaintive,
她是他记忆之中最令他悲伤
and poignant of a line of ghosts.
哀痛的 一丝幽魂
新港射箭俱乐部 八月
She's very deft.
她真是厉害
Yes, well, that's the only kind of target she'll ever hit.
她在其他场合才不懂一矢中的
No one could ever be jealous of May's triumphs.
没人会嫉妒梅的胜利
She managed to give the feeling that she would have been
她好像不论输赢
just as serene without them.
也永远如此娴静
But what if all her calm, her niceness,
但在她那平和甜美的帘幕之后
were just a negation,
是否
a curtain dropped in front of an emptiness?
只是一片空白呢
Archer felt he had never yet lifted that curtain.
纽伦德感觉自己从未将帘幕掀起
Quite stunning, isn't it?
好漂亮
It's Julius Beaufort who donates the club's prizes, isn't it?
这奖品是博弗特提供的吗
This looks like him, of course.
标准的博弗特作风
It will make quite an heirloom, my dear.
留着当传家之宝吧
You should leave it to your eldest daughter.
将来送给你的长女吧
What's the matter? Aren't there going to be any daughters? Only sons?
怎么了 难道你不生女儿 只生儿子
What, can't I say that either?
我说错了吗
Look at her blushing.
瞧她害臊的
Ellen! Ellen, are you upstairs?
艾伦 艾伦 你在楼上吗
She's over from Portsmouth, spending the day with me.
她刚从朴茨茅斯来
It's such a nuisance. She just won't stay in Newport.
真讨厌 她不想住在这里
Insists on putting up with those... What's their names? Blenkers.
非要呆在那破地方 叫什么来着 布朗克斯
But I gave up arguing with young people 50 years ago. Ellen!
我老早就懒得跟年轻人辩了
I'm sorry, ma'am.
抱歉 夫人
Miss Ellen's not in the house.
艾伦小姐出去了
She's left?
她走了
I saw her going down the shore path.
我看见她去海边了
Run down and fetch her like a good grandson.
乖 去把她找回来
May and I will have a gossip about Julius Beaufort.
我要跟梅聊聊博弗特的八卦
Go ahead. I know she'll want to see you both.
快去 她也想见见你们
Is it true Beaufort has given Annie Ring a diamond bracelet?
博弗特真的给了情妇安妮·瑞茵钻石手镯吗
I hear he even plans to bring her to Newport.
听说他打算要带她来
He had heard her name often enough
暌违一年半
during the year and a half since they had last met.
他还是经常听见她的名字
He was even familiar with the main incidents of her life.
他对她的动态时有所闻
But he heard all these accounts with detachment,
但这并未激起任何涟漪
as if listening to reminiscences of someone long-dead.
只像是听见一个死人的陈年往事
But the past had come again into the present,
但过去却突然鲜活起来
as in those newly-discovered caverns in Tuscany,
好像是最近出土的原始洞穴
where children had lit bunches of straw,
孩子们带着火把闯入
and seen old images staring from the wall.
却看见早已作古之人 在墙上盯着你看
He gave himself a single chance.
他决定给自己一个机会
She must turn before the sailboat crosses the lime rock light.
帆船驶过灯塔前 她若转身
Then, he would go to her.
他就走向她
I'm sorry you didn't find her, but I've heard she's so changed.
真遗憾你没找到她 听说她变了
Changed?
变了
So indifferent to her old friends,
都不理会老朋友了
summering in Portsmouth, moving to Washington.
还独自去朴茨茅斯避暑 她搬到华盛顿
Sometimes, I think we've always bored her.
或许是嫌我们乏味无趣
I wonder if she wouldn't be happier with her husband after all.
或许回到丈夫身旁会使她快活些
I don't think I've ever heard you be cruel before.
我从不知道你如此残忍
Cruel?
残忍
Even demons don't think people are happier in Hell.
即使是魔鬼也不会觉得人在地狱会快乐
Then she shouldn't have married abroad.
当初她就不该远嫁海外
Here, let me. Go on. Walk on.
让我来 走 驾
The Blenkers? A party for the Blenkers?
布朗克斯母女 邀布朗克斯母女吃饭
Who are they?
谁啊
The Portsmouth people, I think. The ones Countess Olenska is staying with.
她们住朴茨茅斯 艾伦住在她们家避暑
"Professor and Mrs. Emerson Sillerton request the pleasure Wednesday afternoon,
西勒顿夫妇敬邀周三下午三点
"At 3:00 o'clock, punctually to meet Mrs. and the Misses Blenker.
欢迎布朗克母女们莅临
"Red gables, Catherine Street."
红色院墙 凯瑟琳街
I don't think we can decline.
我们不好意思不去
I don't see why, really. He's an archaeologist.
何必去呢 他是个考古学家
And he's Sillerton Jackson's cousin.
他可是西勒顿·杰克逊的表兄
Of course.
好吧
Some of us will have to go.
一定要有人去才行
I'll go over. And, Janey, why don't you come with me?
我去 珍妮 陪我去吧
I'm sure Cousin Ellen will be there. It will give you a chance to see her.
艾伦一定会去的 你可以见到她的
Newland, you can find a way to spend your afternoon, can't you?
纽伦德 你一个人可以打发时间吧
I think for a change, I'll just save it instead of spending it.
我想我会好好利用时间
Maybe I'll drive to the farm to see about a new horse for the brougham.
也许我会开车去农场 看看布鲁厄姆的新马
Well, at least the Jacksons didn't choose the day of the Cup Race for their party.
至少杰克逊家没有选择杯赛日来举办他们的宴会
Of course, I shouldn't be surprised if they had.
当然啦 如果真是那样我也不感到奇怪
Hello?
你好
I'm sorry. Did you ring? I've been asleep in the hammock.
抱歉 是你按铃吗 我正在吊床上睡觉
Well, I didn't mean to disturb you.
把你吵醒了 抱歉
Are you Miss Blenker? I'm Newland Archer.
布朗克小姐吗 我叫纽伦德·阿切尔
Yes. I've heard so much about you.
久仰大名
I came to the island to look for a new horse.
我想来这儿买匹新马
I thought I'd call, but the house seems to be empty.
本想登门拜访 但没人在家
It is empty. They're all at the party.
对 大伙儿都去赴宴去了
Everyone's there, but me with my fever, and Countess Olenska.
只有发烧的我和奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人没去
Oh, you found my parasol.
噢 你找到我的伞了
It's my best one. It's from the Cameroons.
这是我最爱的一把伞 喀麦隆制的
Well, it's very pretty.
真漂亮
The Countess was called away?
伯爵夫人不在吗
Yes. A telegram came from Boston.
对 她接到来自波士顿的电报
She said she might be gone for two days.
她说她得去两天
I do love the way she does her hair, don't you?
我好喜欢她的发型 你呢
It reminds me of Sir Walter Scott.
好像是小说中的女主角
You don't know... I'm sorry, but I have to be in Boston tomorrow.
你不知道 我明天也要去波士顿一趟
You wouldn't happen to know where she was staying?
你知道她住在哪儿吗
Ellen.
艾伦
I'm here on business. I just got here, actually.
我是来出差的 刚到
You're doing your hair differently.
你的发型变了
Only because my maid's not with me.
女佣没来
She stayed back in Portsmouth. I'm here only for two days. It didn't seem worthwhile.
她留在朴茨茅斯了 我只来两天 所以没带她来
You are travelling alone?
你一个人来的
Yes.
Why? Do you think it's a little dangerous?
你认为太危险吗
Well, it's unconventional.
只是不太符合传统
Yes, I suppose it is.
大概是吧
I've just done something so much more unconventional.
我刚做了更有违传统的事
I refused to take back money that belonged to me.
我拒绝拿回属于自己的钱
Someone came with an offer?
有人找你谈了吗
What were the conditions?
什么条件
I refused.
我回绝了
- Tell me the conditions. - Nothing unbearable, really.
- 告诉我是什么条件 - 也没什么
Just to sit at the head of his table now and then.
只是偶尔扮演女主人
And he wants you back at any price?
他不计代价要你回去吗
Well, it's a considerable price.
很高的代价
At least, it's considerable for me.
至少对我而言
So, you came to see him?
你是来见他的吗
My husband? Here? No, of course not.
在这儿见我丈夫 怎么可能
No. He sent someone.
他托人来传话
His secretary?
他的秘书
Yes.
He's still here, in fact.
他还没离开
He insisted on waiting, in case I changed my mind.
他坚持留下 等待我改变心意
You haven't changed, Newland.
纽伦德 你一点都没变
I had changed until I saw you again.
我变了 见到你后才又变回样
Please don't.
求求你别再说了
Just give me the day. I'll say anything you like, or nothing.
让我陪你一天吧 我不会说任何烦心的话
I won't speak unless you tell me to.
你允许我才开口说话
All I want is some time with you.
我只想陪陪你
I want to get you away from that man. Is he coming to hotel?
他会去旅馆找你吗
- At 11:00... - Well, let's go now.
- 十一点会来 - 我们该走了
I'll have to leave a note at the hotel.
我得留个纸条
Write on this. I have the paper.
写在这上面吧 我有纸
You see how everything is predestined?
瞧 这都是命运的安排
And these? Have you seen these? The new stylographic pen.
看见没 这是新式自来水笔
It's just like...
就像
It's like jerking down the mercury in a thermometer. Now.
就像甩温度计里的水银
Try that.
试试看
It's not working.
没法写
That should do it.
应该没问题了
- Shall I take it in? - I'll be only a moment.
- 要我拿进去吗 - 等我一下
Why didn't you come down to the beach to get me the day I was at Granny's?
那天你怎么没去海边找我
Because you didn't turn around. I swore...
因为你没回头
I swore I wouldn't call you unless you turned around.
我发誓你回头我才叫你
But I didn't look around on purpose.
我是故意不转身的
You knew?
你知道
I recognised the carriage when you drove in.
你看见你的马车
So, I went to the beach.
所以我才去海边
To get as far away from me as you could.
躲我躲得远远的
As I could, yes.
对 尽我所能
Well, you see, it's no use. It's better if we face each other.
我们还是得面对现实
I only want to be honest with you.
我只想对你坦白
Honest? Isn't that why you always admired Julius Beaufort?
所以你欣赏博弗特
He was more honest than the rest of us, wasn't he? We've no character.
他比我们任何人都坦白
No colour, no variety.
我们全是假道学
I don't know why you don't just go back to Europe.
你为何不回欧洲
- I believe that's because of you. - Me?
- 我想是为了你吧 - 我
I'm the man who married one woman because another one told him to.
我听了一个女人的话 娶了另一个女人
You promised not to say such things today.
你答应过今天不谈这些事的
I can't keep that promise.
我没有办法不提
What about May? What about how May feels?
梅呢 梅的感受呢
If you're using my marriage as some victory of ours,
如果你把我的婚姻当成是某种胜利
then there's really no reason on earth why you shouldn't go back.
你就没有不回去的理由
You gave me my first glimpse of a real life.
你让我首度见识到现实
And then you told me to carry on with a false one.
又要我虚伪度日
No one can endure that.
没有人能承受这种苦
I'm enduring it.
我正在承受
What's the use? I know you'll go back.
我知道你会回去的
I won't. Not yet.
我不会的
Not as long as we both can stand it.
只要你我还熬得下去 我不会的
This is not a life for you.
你不该过这种日子
It is, as long as it's part of yours.
我心甘情愿 只要它是你生活的一部分
You won't go back?
你不会回去吧
I won't go back.
我不会回去
He would see her again.
他将再次遇见她
At the theatre, or a reception.
在剧院或在宴会上
Perhaps he might be seated next to her.
或许就坐在她身旁
Perhaps they might have another time alone, somewhere.
或许他们还有独处的机会
But he could not live without seeing her.
但他不能没有她的日子
♪ Marble Halls ♪ Single by Enya
♫ But I also dreamt which charmed me most ♫
♫ 而我亦怀梦 最让我着迷的是 ♫
♫ That you loved me still the same ♫
♫ 你爱我依然 ♫
♫ That you loved me ♫
♫ 你爱着我 ♫
♫ You loved me still the same ♫
♫ 你爱我依然 ♫
♫ That you loved me ♫
♫ 你爱着我 ♫
♫ You loved me still the same ♫
♫ 你爱我依然 ♫
Mr. Archer, I think.
您就是阿切尔先生
Yes.
正是
My name is Riviere.
我姓里维埃
I dined with you in Paris last year.
去年我们在巴黎曾一起吃饭
Yes. I'm sorry. I didn't quite recall.
对 抱歉 我一时没想起来
Quite all right. I had the advantage. I saw you in Boston yesterday.
我昨天在波士顿看见你 所以一眼就认出你来
I came here on Count Olenski's behalf.
我奉奥兰斯卡伯爵之命前来
Because I believed in all good faith that she should return to him.
我相信她该回到丈夫身边
Forgive me.
抱歉
Forgive me, monsieur,
抱歉 先生
but I really don't understand your purpose
我真的不明白
in coming to see me.
你为何来找我
She's changed, monsieur.
她变了
You knew her before?
您跟她是旧识吗
I used to see her at her husband's house, yes.
我常在伯爵家中见到她
Well, the count would not have entrusted my mission to a stranger.
伯爵不会将此事托给陌生人
This change that you mentioned.
你提到她变了
It may only have been my seeing her for the first time,
这是我头一遭见到她真情流露
as she is, as an American.
美国式的真情流露
She made her marriage in good faith.
她本有心做个贤妻良母
It was a faith the Count could not share,
但伯爵却无法体会
could not understand.
难以理解
So, her faith was...
所以 她的信念
Detruit?
粉碎了
- Broken. Destroyed. - Destroyed.
- 破裂了 毁灭了 - 毁灭了
Returning to Europe would mean a life of some comfort,
她回欧洲虽可过优裕的生活
and considerable sacrifice.
但牺牲太大
And, I would think, no hope.
而且难以再续前缘
I will, of course, fulfil my obligation to the Count,
当然了 我会依约
and meet with the family.
拜访她的家人
I will tell them everything that he suggests, and wishes for the Countess.
并转达伯爵的意愿
But I would ask you to use your influence with them.
但也希望你能动用你的影响力
I beg you, monsieur. Do not let her go back.
求你叫她千万别回头
When old Mrs. Baxter Pennilow died,
巴克斯特·潘尼罗夫人死后
they found her standing order,
家人才发现
48 Worth dresses, still wrapped in tissue paper.
她有四十八套大师做的女装 仍原封不动
When her daughters left off their mourning,
她的女儿守完孝之后
they wore the first lot to the symphony
竟穿那些衣服去听音乐会
without looking in advance of the fashion.
毫不在意流行的趋势
He had written to her once in Washington,
他曾在华盛顿写信给她
just a few lines asking when they would meet again.
只是问她何时能再见面
And she wrote back, "Not yet."
她回答 时机未到
And even that had the front panel changed.
尽管风格已经改变
No, I think it was Julius Beaufort who started the new fashion.
博弗特带动了新流行
By making his wife clap her new clothes on her back as soon as they arrived.
回国时他让太太穿新衣亮相
I must say, it takes all Regina's distinction not to look like...
幸好她身世显赫 否则就像
Her rivals?
他在外面养的女人
Like that Annie Ring.
他的情妇安妮·瑞茵
Careful, dear.
留点口德
Everybody knows.
这已经是公开的秘密
Indeed.
的确
Beaufort always put his business around.
他总是乱投资
And now that his business is gone, there are bound to be disclosures.
现在生意垮了 他必须给大家一个交代
Gone? Is it really that bad?
垮了 有那么糟吗
As bad as anything I ever heard of.
简直是一塌糊涂
Most everybody we know will be hit one way or another.
每个我们认识的人都会受到影响
Very difficult for Regina, of course. And, it's a pity.
他太太当然是最大的受害者
It's certainly a pity that Countess Olenska refused her husband's offer.
奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人回绝伯爵也是不智之举
Why, for God's sake?
何以见得
Well, to put it on the lowest ground,
以最基本的角度来看
- what's she going to live on now? - Live on?
- 她现在靠什么生活 - 生活
I mean, now that Beaufort...
如今博弗特
What the hell does that mean, sir?
你这是什么意思
Most of her money's invested with Beaufort.
她大部分的钱都交由博弗特投资
And the allowance she's been getting from the family is so cut back.
而且她娘家也不再资助她
I'm sure she has something.
她应该还有钱
I would think a little.
一点钱
Whatever remains after sustaining more debt.
还债之后也所剩无多了
I know the family paid close attention to Monsieur Riviere,
她娘家很在意里维埃的话
and considered the Count's offer very carefully.
而且非常审慎地评估了伯爵的条件
If everyone had rather she be Beaufort's mistress
如果大家都希望她成为博弗特的情妇
than some decent fellow's wife, you've all gone about it perfectly.
那么你做得一点都没错
She won't go back.
她是不会回去的
That's your opinion, eh?
那只是你个人的想法
Well, no doubt you know.
没错
I suppose she might still soften Catherine Mingott,
我想她大可求明戈特夫人
who could give her any allowance she chooses,
给她一些生活费
but the rest of the family have no particular interest in keeping her here.
但其他家人都希望她回欧洲
They'll simply let her...
他们会由她
Find her own level.
自生自灭
Evening, sir.
晚上好 先生
Thank you, Martin.
谢谢 马丁
That lamp is smoking again. The servant should see to it.
这盏灯又在冒烟 找佣人来修
I'm sorry.
对不起
I may have to go to Washington for a few days.
我得去华盛顿几天
When?
什么时候
Tomorrow. I'm sorry. I should have said it before.
明天 抱歉 我早该诉你的
On business?
出差
On business, of course. There's a patent case
有一件专利案
coming up before the Supreme Court.
在最高法院开庭
I just got the papers from Letterblair.
莱特布赖尔刚把此案交给我
It seems that he intended...
看来他是有意
Never mind. It sounds too complicated.
算了 太复杂了
I have enough trouble managing this lamp.
这盏灯就够我烦的了
Let me try that.
让我试试
But the change will do you good.
去别处走走也好
And you must be sure to go and see Ellen.
你一定要去看看艾伦
Excuse me, ma'am, but this came for you while you were out.
抱歉打扰 夫人 你的信
Do something about this, will you, Alice?
你能拿去修一下吗 爱丽丝
Certainly, sir.
遵命 先生
Granny's had a stroke.
奶奶中风了
A stroke?
中风
Ridiculous.
岂有此理
I told them all, it was just an excessive Thanksgiving.
不过是感恩节多吃了点罢了
Dr Bencomb acted most concerned and insisted on notifying everyone.
那个医生不仅小题大作 还唯恐天下不知
As if it were the last reading of my will and testament.
好像要大家来听我的遗嘱
You're very dear to come.
你们真乖 会来关心我
But perhaps you only wanted to see what I'd left you.
但或许只是来分遗产的
Granny, that's shocking!
奶奶 你真是胡言乱语
It was shock that did this to me.
是胡言乱语令我中风的
No. Thank you. It's all due to Regina Beaufort.
不 谢了 这都要怪瑞吉娜·博弗特太太
She came here last night, and she asked me...
她昨晚来找我 求我
She asked me... She had the effrontery
求我 亏她说得出口
to ask me to back Julius.
要我帮助博弗特
Not to desert him, she said.
她要我别见死不救
To stand behind our common lineage in the Townsend family.
帮他们汤森德家族度过难关
If you back Julius, you can see the family through.
帮助博弗特 就等于帮助他们全家族
If you don't,
如果你见死不救
we will all,
我们就都会
every one of us, fall into dishonour.
永远抬不起头来
I said to her...
我告诉她
Honour's always been honour.
咱们明戈特家
And honesty's always been honesty in Manson Mingott's house.
做事一向光明磊落
And will be, till I'm carried out feet-first.
只要我一息尚存 绝不做违背良心之事
And then she said, if you can believe this, "But my name, Auntie."
她回答说 如果你敢相信她所说的 但我的名誉怎么办 姑姑
But my name, Auntie.
我的名誉怎么办
My name's Regina Townsend.
我叫瑞吉娜·汤森德
And I said to her...
于是我对她说
Your name was Beaufort when he covered you with jewels,
你在博弗特娶你入门时 就已冠上夫姓
and it's got to stay Beaufort, now that he's covered you with shame.
既使现今他已使你蒙羞 你仍姓博弗特
And then I gave out,
然后我就崩溃了
simply gave out.
就这么崩溃了
And now family is arriving from all over,
现在大伙全等着参加我的葬礼
expecting a funeral, and they'll have to be entertained.
然后他们又需要有人招待
I don't know how many notes Bencomb sent out.
真不知大夫通知了多少人
- If there's anything we can do to help out... - Well, my Ellen is coming.
- 希望我们能帮得上忙 - 艾伦就快来了
I expressly asked for her.
我指名要她来
She arrives this afternoon on the train. If you could fetch her...
她的火车今天到 如果你肯去接她的话
Of course. If May will send the brougham, I'll take the ferry.
当然 如果梅要用四轮马车的话 我去乘轮渡
Fine. Fine. Thank you.
好 谢谢
There? You see, Granny? Everyone will be settled.
瞧 这不就成了
Thank you, dear. Bless you.
谢谢你 乖孙 愿上天保佑你
I didn't want to worry Granny,
我不想让奶奶操心
but how can you meet Ellen and bring her back here
可是你今天要去华盛顿
if you have to go to Washington yourself this afternoon?
怎么去接艾伦呢
I'm not going. The case is off, postponed.
我不去了 早上莱特布赖尔告诉我
I heard from Letterblair this morning.
开庭延期了
Postponed? How odd.
延期 这怎么可能
Mama had a note from him this morning as well.
早上我妈也收到他的通知
He was concerned about Granny, but had to be away.
他也很关心奶奶 但无法前来
He was arguing a big patent case before the Supreme Court.
他正在最高法院打一场专利官司
You did say it was a patent case, didn't you?
一场专利的官司
Well, that's it. The whole office can't go.
大家都无法出庭
Letterblair decided to go himself.
莱特布赖尔只好自己去了
So then, it's not postponed?
这不叫延期
No, but my going is.
对 可是我出庭的日期是延了
He knew it was two hours by ferry
他计算过搭车和乘船
and carriage from the Pennsylvania terminus in Jersey City back to Mrs. Mingott's.
从纽泽西市宾州车站到明戈特奶奶家
All of two hours.
需要两小时
And maybe a little more.
或许多一点
- You didn't expect me today. - No.
- 没想到我会来吧 - 对
I nearly came to Washington to see you. We would have missed each other.
我差点去华盛顿找你 我们差点见不到面
It was Granny Mingott who sent me. She's much better.
明戈特奶奶要我来接你 她好多了
You know, I hardly remembered you.
我几乎把你给忘了
Hardly remembered?
几乎把我给忘了
I mean... I mean, each time is the same.
每次都是如此
You happen to me all over again.
每回你都给带我全新的感受
Yes, I know.
我知道
For me, too.
我也有相同的感受
Ellen, we can't stay like this. It can't last.
我们不能再这样耗下去了
I think we should look at reality, not dreams.
我们必须面对现实
I just want us to be together.
我要跟你长相厮守
I can't be your wife, Newland.
我不可能嫁给你的
Is it your idea I should live with you as your mistress?
难道要我当你情妇吗
I want...
我想
Somehow I want to get away with you,
我想要带你远走高飞
and find a world where words like that don't exist.
到一个没有妻妾之分的地方
Oh, my dear.
噢 亲爱的
Where is that country? Have you ever been there?
什么地方 你去过吗
Is there anywhere we can be happy behind the backs of people who trust us?
到哪儿可以逃过良心的谴责呢
I'm beyond caring about that.
我不在乎
No, you're not.
你不是这种人
You've never been beyond that.
你从未离经叛道过
I have.
而我却是过来人
I know what it looks like. It's no place for us.
我了解那种感受 我们是不可能结合的
Why are... Why are we stopping? This isn't Granny's.
为何停车 奶奶不住这里
No. I'll get out here.
我要在这儿下车
You were right. I shouldn't have come today.
你说得对 我不该来的
What are you reading?
你在看什么
It's a book about Japan.
一本有关日本的书
Why?
为何读它
I don't know.
我也不知道
Because it's a different country.
因为那是不同的国家
You used to read poetry.
你不是爱读诗吗
It was so nice when you read it to me.
我喜欢你念诗给我听
Newland.
纽伦德
You'll catch your death.
你会感冒的
Of course.
当然
But then he realised, "I am dead.
他发现他已有如行尸走肉
"I've been dead for months and months."
死了好几个月
Then it occurred to him that she might die.
他突然想到她可以死掉
People did. Young people, healthy people did.
世事难料 健康的年轻人也可能遭遇不测
She might die and set him free.
也许她会死 让他恢复自由
Newland?
纽伦德
Ellen, I have to see you.
艾伦 我非见你不可
I didn't know when you were leaving again.
你何时离开
I'm... I'm not leaving.
我不走了
Granny's asked me to stay and take care of her.
奶奶要我留下来照顾她
Then we have to talk now.
那么我们得好好谈谈
I'm due at Regina Beaufort's. Granny lent me her carriage.
我得到瑞吉娜家去 坐奶奶的车去
I know Granny says Julius Beaufort is a scoundrel,
奶奶说博弗特是个无赖 我先生也一样
but so is my husband, and the family still want me to go back to him.
而全家族的人却都要我回到他身旁
Only Granny understands. She's even seen to my allowance.
只有奶奶是个明理之人 她甚至时常接济我
I have to see you, somewhere we can be alone.
我必须找个地方和你独处
- In New York? - Alone. Somewhere we can be alone.
- 在纽约吗 - 只要是能独处的地方
The art museum in the park, 2:30 tomorrow.
明天下午两点半美术馆见
I'll be at the door.
我在门口等你
用途不详
You came to New York because you were afraid.
你到纽约来只因你怕
- Afraid? - Of my coming to Washington.
- 怕什么 - 怕我去华盛顿找你
I thought I would be safer.
我以为在纽约会比较安全
Safer from me?
怕我打扰你
Ellen?
艾伦
S...
Safer from loving me?
怕自己陷得太深吗
Shall I come to you once and then go home?
可以给你一次然后回家去吗
Come to me once then.
给我一次吧
When?
什么时候
Tomorrow.
明天
The day after.
后天吧
奥兰斯卡夫人 第五大道 八零九号
I'm sorry I'm late. You weren't worried, were you?
抱歉 我回来晚了 没让你操心吧
Is it late?
现在很晚吗
It's past 7:00.
已经七点多了
I stayed at Granny's because Cousin Ellen came in.
我和艾伦在奶奶家聊
We had a wonderful talk. She was so dear, just like the old Ellen.
她非常友好 我们聊得很开心 就像是从前的她
Granny was so charmed by her.
奶奶好喜欢她
But you can see, though, how the family's been annoyed with her at times.
不过她有时真让人反感
Going to see Regina Beaufort in Granny's carriage and...
例如坐奶奶的车去看博弗特太太
Are we dining out tonight?
今晚要出去吃吗
You haven't kissed me today.
你今天还没亲我
It was the custom in old New York
当时纽约人的习惯
for brides to appear in their wedding dress
新婚的前几年
during the first year or two of marriage.
新嫁娘都穿着结婚礼服出门
But May, since returning from Europe,
但梅从欧洲回来后
had not worn her bridal satin until this evening.
今晚是她第一次穿上结婚礼服
May, I'm sorry. My head's bursting.
抱歉 梅 我的头好痛
Please don't tell anyone. Come home with me now.
别告诉任何人 我们回家吧
Shouldn't you rest?
你不是该休息
My head's not as bad as that.
我的头好多了
And there's something important I have to say to you right away.
有件事我得告诉你
May, there is something that I've got to tell you.
我得和你谈谈
About myself.
关于我自己
Madame Olenska...
奥兰斯卡夫人
Why should we talk about Ellen tonight?
为何要在今晚谈她
Because I should have spoken before and...
因为我早就该说了
Is it really worthwhile, dear?
真有那么重要吗
I know I've been unfair to her at times.
我知道有时我对她过于冷淡
Perhaps we all have.
或许你也一样
You've understood her better than any of us, I suppose,
你是最了解她的人
but does it really matter now that it's all over?
但现已经事过境迁了
How do you mean, "over"?
事过境迁 什么意思
Why, since she's going back to Europe so soon.
她马上就要回欧洲了
Granny's approved, and understands.
尽管奶奶很失望 但她能体谅
She's disappointed, of course,
她愿意给她一笔钱
but she's arranged to make Ellen financially independent of the Count.
让她不用再仰赖伯爵
I... I thought you would have heard today at your offices.
我以为你今天在办公室听说了
- It's impossible. - Impossible?
- 不可能 - 不可能
Certainly she could have stayed here with Granny's extra money,
她本可以住在纽约
but I guess she's given us up, after all.
只是她不要
How do you know that?
你怎么会知道
From Ellen. I told you, I saw her at Granny's yesterday.
艾伦亲口说的 我说过我昨天在奶奶家遇见她
And she told you that, yesterday?
她昨天告诉你的
No. She sent me a note this afternoon.
不是 今天下午我收到她的来信
Do you want to see it?
想看吗
I thought you knew.
我以为你已经知道了
"May, dear, I have at last made Granny understand
亲爱的梅 我终于让奶奶了解
"that my visit to her could be no more than a visit,
我这次来 只是想看看她
"and she has been as kind and generous as ever."
这一回她和以前一样疼我
"And she has been as kind and generous as ever.
这一回她和以前一样疼我
"She sees now that if I return to Europe, I must live by myself.
她知道我回欧洲后 必须自食其力
"I am hurrying back to Washington to pack up, and I sail next week.
我急于回华盛顿打包 下周就搭船回欧洲
"You be must very good to Granny when I'm gone,
我不在时要好好照顾她
"as good as you've always been to me.
就像你待我那样
"If any of my friends wish to urge me to change my mind,
万一有人想说服我留下来
"please tell them it would be utterly useless."
请他们别白费唇舌
"... tell them it would be utterly useless."
请他们别白费唇舌
Why did she write this?
她为何写这封信给你
I suppose because we talked things over yesterday.
大概是我们昨天聊了很多吧
What things?
聊什么
I told her that I was afraid I hadn't always been fair to her,
我说我怕自己待她不够好
that I hadn't always understood how hard it must have been for her here.
因为我不了解她所受的苦
I knew you'd be the one friend she could always count on,
我知道她很信任你
and I wanted her to know that you and I were the same in all of our feelings.
我要她知道 我跟你一样支持她
She understood why I wanted to tell her this.
她了解我为何说这一番话
I think she understands everything.
她是个善解人意的人
My head aches too.
我的头也好痛
- Good night, dear. - Good night.
- 晚安 亲爱的 - 晚安
It was, as Mrs. Archer said to Mrs. Welland,
诚如阿切尔的母亲所说
a great event for a young couple to give their first dinner,
新婚夫妇首次请客是件大事
and it was not to be undertaken lightly.
必须做到尽善尽美
There was a hired chef,
要请个大厨
two borrowed footmen, roses from Henderson's,
两个上菜的 用最上等的玫瑰
Roman punch and menus on gilt-edged cards.
柠檬汁甜酒 镶金边的菜单
It was considered a particular triumph that the van der Luydens,
冯·德·莱登夫妇不仅出席了
at May's request, stayed in the city to be present
还因梅之邀 留在纽约
at her farewell dinner for the Countess Olenska.
参加奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人的送别会
You have to leave New York after the disgrace...
受辱后你必须离开纽约
Archer saw all the harmless-looking people
阿切尔将一桌慈面善目的人
at the table as a band of quiet conspirators,
视为一群沉默的共谋者
with himself and Ellen the centre of their conspiracy.
破坏着他和艾伦的好事
He guessed himself to have been for months the centre
他猜想着这几个月来
of countless silently observing eyes
大家都默默盯着
and patiently listening ears.
竖起耳朵静静地听
He understood that somehow the separation
他体会到他们成功地
between himself and the partner of his guilt had been achieved.
把他和他情人分开了
And he knew that now the whole tribe had rallied around his wife.
他也了解到大伙儿都站在梅那一边
He was a prisoner in the centre of an armed camp.
他成了众矢之的
I wonder if they'll ever get it back.
我在想他们是否会回来
Regina's not well at all,
博弗特太太病了
but that doesn't stop Beaufort from devoting as much time
但博弗特仍然
to Annie Ring as he can manage.
常和安妮·瑞茵厮混
The best thing Beaufort could do
老实说
would be to go and stay at Regina's little place in North Carolina.
博弗特应该去北卡找她
He could breed trotters...
他可以在那儿养马
And the key to his release
他寄给艾伦的钥匙
had been returned the day before.
当天即被返还
By mail. Unopened.
被原封不动寄了回来
He may stay here as a deliberate challenge to the outrage he's created.
博弗特根本不担心婚外情曝光
Perhaps he'll run for public office.
说不定他还会竞选总统呢
Then will Annie Ring be his first lady?
安妮·瑞茵会成为他的第一夫人吗
Was your trip from Washington very tiring?
从华盛顿回来累吗
The heat on the train was dreadful.
火车上闷得要命
But all travel has its hardships.
出远门总是辛苦的
Well, whatever they may be, they're worth it just to get away.
能换个环境就值得了
I mean to do a lot of travelling myself soon.
我也打算出远门
What about you, Philip? What about a little adventure?
菲利普 一起去冒险吧
Athens and Smyrna, maybe even Constantinople.
雅典或是伊斯麦 或是君士坦丁堡
Possibly. Possibly.
或许吧 或许吧
But not Naples.
千万别去拿坡里
Dr Bencomb says there's a fever.
大夫说那儿有流行病
Oh, really? A fever in Naples.
噢 真的吗 拿坡里有流行病
Well, there's always India, of course.
那么我就去印度吧
You must have three weeks to do India properly.
在印度至少得待三周才够
Absolutely.
没错
Beaufort may not receive invitations any more,
博弗特虽然未受邀
but it's clear he still maintains a certain position.
但仍然保持高姿态
Horizontal from all I've heard.
听说是平躺在床上的姿态
If things go on like this, we'll be seeing our children
如果他再胡搞下去
fighting for invitations to swindlers' houses and marrying Beaufort's bastards.
恐怕我们的后代会跟他的私生子结婚
Has he got any?
他在外面生了几个
Be careful there, gentlemen. Draw it mild. Draw it mild.
各位 留点口德
Society has a history of tolerating vulgar women after all.
社会对荡妇总能容忍
Up to a point.
在某种程度上
But once it tolerates a man of that kind,
容忍那种人的唯一原因
- the only prospect is total disinheritance... - Have you ever noticed
- 只能是为了继承权 - 你是否注意到了
it's the people with the worst cooks who are always yelling
厨子最差的人家
about being poisoned when they dine out?
总是嫌别人家的菜难吃
Lefferts used to be a little more adept, I thought.
我以为莱弗茨是精于此项
But then grace is not always required
但只要懂得步法
as long as one knows the steps.
这一门是不需美态的
I've never heard Lefferts so abound in the sentiments
真不知莱弗茨这家伙
that adorn Christian manhood.
几时成了卫道人士
Indignation lends a scathing eloquence.
愤怒和恐惧所爆发出的威力一样伤人
It's almost as effective as fear. The pressure at home must be unrelenting.
家里的压力无穷无尽
I never expected to hear such a paean to the sanctity...
我从未听过如此赞美家庭的话
My mother had a bronze reduction of the Venus De Milo she wanted to give us...
我母亲想把她那尊维纳斯铜像送给我们
The silent organisation
他们不动声色地
which held this whole small world together was determined to put itself on record.
团结起来 决定痛惩不守规范的人
It had never for a moment questioned the propriety of Madame Olenska's conduct.
从未有人质疑 奥兰斯卡夫人的行为有违礼教
It had never questioned Archer's fidelity.
也从未有人质疑纽伦德的忠诚
And it had never heard of, suspected or even conceived possible
从未有人听说 怀疑 或甚至相信
anything at all to the contrary.
他们有任何不轨
Ellen.
艾伦
From the seamless performance of this ritual,
从这一顿完美演出的饭局
Archer knew that New York believed him to be Madame Olenska's lover.
阿切尔知道 纽约全城都认定他和奥兰斯卡夫人是情人
We were discussing the Martha Washington ball.
我们在聊舞会的事
Yes, we have it during Easter week to benefit the blind society.
我们想在复活节当周办个爱盲舞会
They do excellent work.
他们做的工作棒极了
Lawrence. Lawrence...
劳伦斯
And he understood for the first time
他第一次了解到
that his wife shared the belief.
自己的太太也这么认为
You must come visit me when you do.
你一定要来欧洲看我
I'll write you as soon as I'm settled and let you know where I am.
等一切安顿好 我会写信回来的
Yes, that would be lovely.
那太好了
Shall I see you to your carriage?
我送你上马车
We are driving dear Ellen home.
我们正要送她回家
Good-bye.
再见
Good-bye. And I'll see you very soon in Paris.
再见 巴黎见了
Oh, if you and May could come.
噢 希望你和梅能来
Shall we make our way to the carriage, my dear?
可以走了吗
Delightful evening, Newland.
今晚真开心
Good night, Newland.
晚安 纽伦德
Good night, Sillerton. Good night, Larry.
晚安 西勒顿 拉瑞
It did go off beautifully, didn't it?
今夜的晚宴很棒吧
Oh, yes.
噢 对
May I come in and talk it over?
我能进来聊聊吗
Of course. But you must be very sleepy.
当然 可是你一定很想睡了
- No, I'm not. I'd like to be with you a little. - Fine.
- 不 我想和你聊聊 - 好
If you feel up to it, May,
如果你愿意
there is something that I've been wanting to talk to you about.
我想告诉你一件事
And I tried to talk to you the other evening.
那一夜就想告诉你的那件事
Yes, dear. Something about yourself.
是的 有关你自己的事
About myself, yes.
对 有关我自己的事
It's so difficult to find the right words.
真不知该从何说起
But it's just that I feel so terribly tired at the moment.
我觉得好累
And I think...
我想
Each day a little more so.
而且每况愈下
And I think it would be better for everyone if I were to make a break.
我想如果我休息一阵子 或许对大家都有好处
You mean give up the law?
你是指辞职
Well, certainly that would be a part of it. And also just to...
辞职当然也是一部分
Just to get away.
然后出国
I... I'd like to do some travelling.
我想出去旅行
To Europe or...
欧洲
Perhaps even farther.
或是更远的地方
How far?
多远
I don't know. I thought...
我也不知道
India or Japan.
印度或是日本吧
As far as that?
像那么远的地方
Well...
这个嘛
I'm afraid you can't, dear.
恐怕你不能去 亲爱的
Not unless you take me with you.
除非你带我去
That is, if the doctors will let me go, and I'm afraid they won't.
只怕医生不会同意
Newland, I've been sure of something since this morning,
纽伦德 早上才确定的
and I've been longing to tell you.
我一直想找机会告诉你
Oh, my dear.
噢 亲爱的
You didn't guess?
意外吧
No. I mean, of course, I... I hoped, but...
对 我希望 但
Have you told anyone else?
你还告诉了谁
Only Mamma and your mother...
只有我妈妈和你母亲
And Ellen.
还有艾伦
I told you we had a long talk one afternoon and how wonderful she was to me.
我说过我们聊了很久 而且她人很好
Did you mind my telling her, Newland?
你不想让她知道吗
Mind? Why should I?
怎么会呢
But that was two weeks ago, wasn't it?
那已经是两星期前的事了吧
I thought you just said you weren't sure till today?
你不是今天才确定的吗
No, I... I wasn't sure then,
当时我是不确定
but I told her I was.
但我还是告诉她了
And you see, I was right.
而且呢 我猜对了
It was the room
就在这书房
in which most of the real things of his life had happened.
他生命中最真实的事发生了
Their eldest boy, Theodore,
他们的长子西奥多
too delicate to be taken to church in midwinter,
无法在隆冬抱出门
had been christened there.
因此就在这儿受洗
I baptise thee in the name of the Father,
我以圣父
and of the son,
圣子
and of the holy spirit.
以及圣灵的名义 为你施洗礼
It was here that Ted took his first steps.
泰德就在这里学走路
And it was here that Archer and his wife always discussed
纽伦德夫妇也常在此
the future of all their children.
讨论子女的未来
Bill's interest in archaeology,
比尔对考古有兴趣
Mary's passion for sports and philanthropy,
玛丽喜欢体育和慈善活动
Ted's inclination toward art that led to a job with an architect,
热爱艺术的泰德想当建筑师
as well as some considerable redecoration.
和从事室内装潢的工作
It was in this room that Mary had announced her engagement...
玛丽在这里宣布喜讯
I'm so happy for you.
我真为你开心
To the dullest and most reliable of Larry Lefferts' many sons.
她嫁给了拉瑞·莱弗茨的儿子
And it was in this room, too, that her father had kissed her
纽伦德也在这里亲吻了她
through her wedding veil before they motored to Grace Church.
然后坐车陪她上教堂结婚
He was a dutiful and loving father, and a faithful husband.
纽伦德是个贤夫慈父
When May died of infectious pneumonia after nursing Bill safely through,
当梅因照顾比尔而感染肺炎过世
he had honestly mourned her.
他深深哀悼
The world of her youth had fallen into pieces
世界在她的岁月中粉碎瓦解
and rebuilt itself without her ever noticing.
然后形成一个新世界 而她并未察觉
This hard, bright blindness,
纯真无邪的她
her incapacity to recognise change,
似乎很难意识到周遭的变动
made her children conceal their views from her, just as Archer concealed his.
因此儿女就像阿切尔一样 不愿对她透露内心的看法
She died thinking the world a good place,
她死时仍然觉得这世界是一片乐土
full of loving and harmonious households like her own.
充满爱与和谐 就像她的家庭一样
Newland Archer, in his 57th year,
纽伦德·阿切尔在五十七岁时
mourned his past and honoured it.
追忆过去 感慨万千
Yes, hello? Hello?
Chicago wants you.
芝哥加电话
Hello?
- Dad? - Is that you, Ted?
- 爸 - 泰德 是你吗
Dad, I'm just about finished out here,
爸 我刚完工
but my client wants me to look at some gardens before I start designing.
但客户要求我去看几座花园 再着手设计
That sounds fine. Where?
不错嘛 在哪儿
- Europe. - Gracious.
- 欧洲 - 天啊
I'll have to sail next Wednesday on the Mauretania.
我下周三搭船过去
What, and miss the wedding?
什么 要错过自己的婚礼吗
I think Annie will wait for me.
我想安妮会等我的
I'll be back on the 1st, and our wedding's not till the 5th.
我一号就回来了 赶得上五号的婚礼
I'm surprised you remember the date.
没想到你还记得日期
- Well... Dad, I was hoping you'd join me. - What?
- 希望你能和我一起去 - 什么
I'll need you to remind me of what's important.
我需要你提醒我孰重孰轻
What do you say? It will be our last father-and-son trip.
结婚前的最后一次父子同游
- Well, Ted, I do appreciate the invitation... - Wonderful!
- 感谢你的邀请 - 太好了
Can you call the Cunard office first thing tomorrow?
明天记得订船票
But it would take me till next Wednesday just to cancel my...
但我得取消
I won't hear it, Dad. The Atlantic is calling us.
我不想听 大西洋正在召唤我们
I'll be in New York on Monday, and I'll contact you then.
周一我就到纽约
- You'll be in New... - On Monday.
- 什么时候 - 星期一
I'll see what I can do.
我尽力就是了
Settle the tickets, Dad.
订购船票 爸
I can't promise anything, Ted. I'll see what I can do. All right.
我不能拍胸脯保证 我尽力就是了
- Bye-bye. - Bye.
- 再见 - 再见
I'm going out to Versailles with Tourneur. Will you join us?
我要和透娜去凡尔赛宫 你去不去
I thought I'd go to the Louvre.
我想去罗浮宫
I'll meet you there later then.
那么我去找你
Countess Olenska's expecting us at 5:30.
我跟奥兰斯卡伯爵夫人约在五点半见
What?
什么
Didn't I tell you?
我没告诉你吗
Annie made me swear to do three things in Paris.
安妮要我在巴黎为她做三件事
Get her the score of the last Debussy songs,
帮她买套德彪西的最新曲谱合辑
go to the Grand Guignol, and see Madame Olenska.
去大木偶剧院 以及去看奥兰斯卡夫人
You know, she was awfully good to Annie
博弗特送安妮来索邦大学读书时
when Mr. Beaufort sent her over to the Sorbonne.
她待她好极了
Wasn't the Countess friendly with Mr. Beaufort's first wife or something?
伯爵夫人跟博弗特的前妻关系不太好 对吗
I think Mrs. Beaufort said that she was.
博弗特先生是这么说的
In any case, I called the Countess first thing this morning,
总之 早上我打了电话给伯爵夫人
introduced myself as her cousin.
告诉她我是她的外甥
Did you tell her I was here, Ted?
你提到过我也来了吗
Of course. Why not?
当然 有何不可
She sounds lovely. Was she?
她听起来很可爱 她一向如此吗
Lovely?
可爱
I don't know. She was different.
我不知道 她变了
Whenever he thought of Ellen Olenska,
每当忆起艾伦·奥兰斯卡
it had been abstractly, serenely,
他总感觉虚幻宁静
like an imaginary loved one in a book or picture.
宛如画中的仕女
She had become the complete vision of all that he had missed.
她象征他所错失的一切
I'm only 57.
我才五十七岁啊
Did Mr. Beaufort really have such a bad time of it
博弗特再婚时
when he wanted to remarry?
阻力真有这么大吗
No one wanted to give him an inch?
大家都不谦让他一分
Perhaps because he'd already taken so much.
或许是以前谦让过太多
As if anyone remembers any more, or cares.
但现在谁还记得 谁还在乎呢
Well, Annie Ring and he did have a lovely daughter. You're very lucky.
安妮·瑞茵为他生了个宝贝女儿 你真幸运
We're very lucky, you mean.
你是指我们都很幸运
Yes, of course that's what I mean.
当然
So considering how that all turned out, and all the time that's gone by,
人生至此 早已事过境迁
I don't see how you can resist.
你怎么还要抗拒呢
I did have some resistance at first to your marriage, as I told you...
你们结婚 我一开始也无法接受
No. I mean resist seeing the woman you almost threw everything over for.
我是指你拒绝见一个你差点为她牺牲一切的女人
Only you didn't.
只是你悬崖勒马了
I didn't?
我悬崖勒马
No.
没错
But Mother said that she knew
但母亲说
- we would be safe with you. - Your mother?
- 我们都会安然无恙的 - 你母亲
Yes. The day before she died she asked to see me alone. Remember?
还记得她临终的前一天 要单独跟我谈吗
She said she knew we were safe with you,
她说她放心把这个家交给你
and always would be,
一直如此安心
because once, when she asked you to,
因为你曾答应她
you gave up the thing that you wanted most.
放弃你的最爱
She never asked.
她从未提起此事
She never asked me.
她从未要求过我
After a little while he did not regret Ted's indiscretion.
一会儿之后 他对泰德的直率不再感到懊恼
It seemed to take an iron band from his heart to know that,
他的心结终于松绑
after all, someone had guessed and pitied,
毕竟 终究有人猜到而且怜悯过他
and that it should have been his wife moved him inexpressibly.
而那个人居然是自己的太太 这更叫他感动莫名
The porter says it's the third floor.
门童说她住在三楼
Must be the one with the awnings.
一定是有两篷的那一户
It's nearly 6:00.
快六点了
I think I'll just sit for a while.
我想坐一会儿
Do you mean you won't come?
你不想上去吗
- You really won't come at all? - I don't know.
- 真的不上去吗 - 我也不知道
She won't understand.
她不会理解的
Go on, Ted. Maybe I'll follow you.
去吧 泰德 也许我随后就到
What will I tell her?
我该怎么告诉她
Don't you always have something to say?
你不是最能言善道了吗
I'll tell her you're old-fashioned,
我说你很老派
and you insist on walking up three flights instead of taking the elevator.
坚持走楼梯 而不愿意去乘电梯
Just say I'm old-fashioned.
就说我很老派
That should be enough. Go on.
这足够了 去吧
Go on.
去吧
================================
献 给 我 的 父 亲 路 希 安 诺 · 查 尔 斯 · 斯 科 塞 斯( 导 演 的 父 亲 在 影 片 即 将 上 映 前 离 世 )
旁 白 : 乔 安 娜 · 伍 德 沃 德