The Weinstein Company, Annapurna Pictures
Block 2 Pictures, Sil-Metropole Organization Ltd
Jet Tone Films Ltd, Sil-Metropole Organization Ltd
Song Dai, Chan Ye Cheng, Megan Ellison
Wong Kar Wai, Jacky Pang Yee Wah
以长江为界大致可分为南北中国武术的悠久历史造就了许多不同流派的功夫
他听闻这里有位高手将会成为一代宗师北方的大师宫羽田在引退前来到南方高手云集的佛山
Don't tell me how well you fight,
别跟我说你功夫有多深
or how great your teacher is,
师父有多厉害
or brag about your style.
门派有多深奥
Kung fu: two words.
功夫-两个字
Horizontal. Vertical.
一横一竖
Make a mistake, horizontal.
错的 躺下喽
Stay standing and you win.
站着的才有资格讲话
A master of Wing Chun.
陈华顺的关门弟子
The new hope of the South.
佛山无敌啊
We're from Foshan.
我是广东南海佛山人
My father ran the family business.
我父亲叫叶霭多
He exported goods to Hong Kong.
在香港文咸西街经营南北行生意
The Yes are an old Foshan family.
桑园叶氏在佛山是望族
They named a street after us, that's how wealthy we were.
人称培德里叶也就是说整个培德里都是我家的
Before I turned 40, life was easy.
我四十岁前不愁吃喝
I lived on family money,
靠的是祖先留下的财产
and had one passion:
我唯一的嗜好是
My wife, Zhang Yongcheng,
我内人叫张永成
was the descendant of an Imperial Minister.
是前清洋务大臣张荫桓的后人
She was a woman of few words because she knew their power.
一般她话不多因为她说出口有时会伤人
We understood each other well.
两夫妻 要无声胜有声
When I went out, she lit a lamp
晚上我出去 她会亮着门口那盏灯
and left it lit until I came home.
要等到我回来 才会关上
If life has seasons,
如果人生有四季的话
my first 40 years were spring.
我四十岁之前都是春天
In 1936, Foshan was a prosperous city.
1936年佛山是陈济棠时代
Life was peaceful and good.
算是太平年景
Men socialized in brothels.
男人到堂子交际是平常事
Foshan's finest was Republic House.
在佛山最吃香的 是鹰嘴沙的共和楼
Its walls were covered in gold,
里面满堂贴金
so we called it the Gold Pavilion.
所以大家都唤它金楼
It was the first to have an elevator.
它是全广东第一家有电梯的堂子
Enter a prince, exit a pauper.
号称太子进太监出.
You'd spend money like water.
可以让你千金散尽
It was like a social club for martial artists.
那里也是我们师兄弟常聚的地方
Good men can be found among rogues...
风尘之中 必有性情中人
...and hidden masters, too.
其中不少是藏身不露的高手
People saw it as a pleasure palace.
一般人看金楼是个销魂处
But to us, it was a battleground.
反过来看它是一片英雄地
I claim three accomplishments in life.
我这辈子只成了三件事
I united Xingyi and Bagua styles.
合并了形意门和八卦门
Second, I became the director of the Northern Martial Arts Union,
接了我大师兄的班主事中华武士会
bringing together Tongbei, Cannon Fist,
联合了通背 炮锤
Tai Chi, Yan Qing, and other schools.
太极 燕青等十几个门派加入
Third, I took the Northern masters South.
最后是撮成了北方拳师南下传艺
I supervised the founding of the Southern Martial Arts Academy
两广国术馆成立 五虎下江南
after talks here in the Gold Pavilion.
就是我和李任潮先生在这座金楼谈定的
It's time for new blood.
新人要出头
I held a retirement ceremony up North.
我的引退仪式在北边办过一次
You invited me to hold a second one here...
今次蒙精武会的邀请在这儿再办一次
...to bid farewell to my Southern comrades.
是想给南方的老哥们老同志做个告别
Up North, the one who took part
在东北和我搭手的
was my top discYele, Ma San.
是我的大徒弟马三
- He'll be my successor.
我的班他接了
I hope you'll give him your support.
诸位可是得照应着他
I hope you'll give him your support.
马三 宫羽田的徒弟诸位可是得照应着他
I'd always wanted
本来我还想办最后一件事
to take the Southern styles North.
就是把南拳北传
Sadly, my time is up.
可惜我没有时间了
I want to hold a demonstration match
在这里的引退仪式上 跟我搭手的
with a Southern martial artist.
我想是位南方的拳手
Someone you all support.
当然得大家认可才行啊
How could I represent the South?
我有什么资格代表广东武林
Among the great Southern schools,
讲门派
there are many besides Wing Chun.
南拳有洪 刘 蔡 李 莫
In rank, you're all senior to me.
论辈份在座各位都是长辈
You're the leaders and masters.
不是掌门 就是馆主
I have no standing.
怎么也轮不上我
The reputation of the South is at stake.
这件事关乎两广国术界的面子
We Southerners may be petty,
我们广东人虽说平时爱打个小算盘
but we don't run away from a fight.
真要动手谁也没怕过
We're not afraid of these Northerners!
我们他妈的怕过谁呀
This is a challenge.
今天人家上门来叫板
We will rise to it. Isn't that right?
我们不能装孙子
Think you're good enough to challenge the Grandmaster?
就凭这点本事敢叫板老爷子
Let's keep it simple.
干脆点儿
- I'll take you all on. - Get him!
- 一起来吧 - 揍他
that at the ceremony up North,
老爷子在北方引退仪式上
To worshYe at the feet of the Buddha,
入庙拜佛 得先进山门
first pass the Guardian of the Gate.
要见真佛
Do you know why a knife must have a sheath?
你知道为什么刀得有鞘
Its real power lies not in sharpness,
因为刀的真意不在杀
You're too sharp a blade.
你的刀太锐
You have to stay put.
得在鞘里好好藏藏
My sheath... is you, Master.
我的鞘就是师父您
With you around, I'm under control.
您在我出不了乱子
I can no longer control you.
我藏不住你
You're too anxious to make your mark.
十年之后再成名吧
For now, leave Foshan.
现在就离开佛山
and I'll break your legs.
我就断你的腿
Central News Broadcast:
中央社消息
Mounting anti-Northern sentiment in the region
6月1日 两广军队组抗日救国军开赴湖南
has turned the match by the Northern visitors into a challenge.
名为抗日救国 实则是保持联省自治
The Southern clans have begun blocking off entrances to Foshan
中央军两个军占领衡阳
to prevent hostilities.
局势一触即发
Let us pass.
请朋友让个道老姜 宫家管家
Sorry. This street is closed off.
对不起 佛山精武会有规定老姜 宫家管家
Sorry. This street is closed off.
对不起 佛山精武会有规定
No one bearing arms can enter.
凡带兵器者 不许进这条街
Do you know who's in that rickshaw?
知道车上坐的什么人吗
It's Master Gong's daughter!
把宫家的弟子叫出来
Miss Gong, it's good you're here.
二姑娘 你可来了
He must call this off. Win or lose, it's a disgrace.
这事儿必须得拦下 输赢都不好听
In all his years of fighting, he's never lost.
我爹一辈子跟人交手没吃过亏
In all his years of fighting, he's never lost.
宫二 宫羽田独生女我爹一辈子跟人交手没吃过亏
How dare you?
谈何输赢宫二 宫羽田独生女
Your Northern colleagues disapprove of this match.
你在北方的老哥们都不赞成这场比武
It's a huge honor
让他搭手多大的面子
that this Ye doesn't deserve.
姓叶的不识抬举
It's not how things are done.
咱可不能坏了规矩
Don't follow the herd.
别跟他们一般见识
If the old never let go, when will the young ever get a chance?
老人死守着规矩 新人什么时候才能出头啊
Ye Wen has talent.
叶问是个好材料
Let's see if he can prove himself.
就看他这次能不能出头
The Gong Family has never lost before.
宫家没有败绩
what can he prove?
他凭什么出头
I once had a temper like yours.
你的脾气啊就是爹年轻的时候
Winning was everything.
眼睛里只有胜负
But life's bigger than that.
没有人情世故
Take a longer view.
人要往远看
Past the mountains, the world opens up.
过了山 眼界就开阔了
Not to see the good in others,
但凡一个人见不得人好
not to admit their talent,
见不得人高明
is to lack generosity.
是没有容人之心
Our high standards in Martial Arts
咱们宫家的门槛高
apply to character as well.
但是不出小人
Why did you bring me to a brothel?
您带着亲闺女逛堂子这是什么说法
If you don't see something...
这天底下的事
...does it not exist?
你不看他就没了
The first time I came here
我第一次来这金楼
was before you were born.
你还没有出生呢
Twenty years have passed in a flash.
一晃二十年过去了
In life, ability isn't everything.
人活这一世 能耐还在其次
Some thrive in light,
有的成了面子
others in shadows.
有的成了里子
The times make us what we are.
都是时势使然
I asked you to come South
这次让你下来
to bring things full circle
是想求个始终
how I step down.
爹是怎么退下来的
Since you were little,
你从小
you've watched me fight.
是看着我跟人交手长大的
This is the last time.
这是最后一次
I wish you could've been my successor.
你是定了亲的人了
But in the world of Martial Arts,
江湖的事
there's no place for you.
和你没关系
Become a good doctor.
当个好大夫
Live a peaceful life.
平平安安的
This is my greatest wish.
就是尽孝心了
You'll be challenging their Grandmaster.
风尘之中亦有性情中人
Your big day is coming.
马上是你出头的好日子
We're here to show our support.
兄弟跟金楼仝人封厅来祝贺你
I'm humbled, Uncle Deng.
那怎么好意思啊 灯叔
It's a pleasure. You're very welcome.
小小意思 千万别客气呀
The ladies and staff congratulate you.
问哥 我们几个小辈代表全体阿姑来贺一贺你
That's quite a battle formation.
好大的阵势啊
Sister San heads our Peking Opera troupe.
三姐呢 是我们京班寮口嫂的头儿三姐 八卦掌宗师
Sister San heads our Peking Opera troupe.
三姐呢 是我们京班寮口嫂的头儿
She dabbles in Bagua.
会点八卦掌
She'd like to offer a few pointers.
想请问哥您指教一下
- After you. - Bagua is based on swordplay.
- 请 - 八卦掌取法于刀术
Single reverse palm is a single blade.
单换掌是单刀
Double reverse palm is a double blade.
双换掌是双刀
The feet arc out and in.
步法一掰一扣
There are 64 transformations.
有六十四变化
Attack comes out of nowhere.
擅长偏门抢攻
- Sister San, it's just practice.
三姐 试手而已
No need to smash the ancestral tablets.
用不着拆祠堂吧
I've done that many times before. No big deal.
祠堂拆过无数 没什么稀奇
Mr. Ye, Bagua is underhanded.
叶先生 八卦手黑
Ah, Mr. Ye.
先生瑞 形意拳宗师噢 叶先生
Today is a happy day.
今天是大喜事先生瑞 形意拳宗师
Today is a happy day.
今天是大喜事
We in Accounts wish you well.
兄弟代表帐房先生们贺贺你
Xingyi began with General Yue Fei.
形意拳奉岳飞为祖师
It uses the fist as a spear.
所谓脱枪为拳
Such sensitivity. Impressive!
咏春听桥 好功夫
That Crushing Fist is quite something.
你的半步崩拳也很厉害呀
each challenge leads to a higher peak.
过手如登山 一步一重天
Don't underestimate it.
千万别轻敌
Let's see how high the peaks get.
我就是想见识一下高山
Hmm. This will be fun.
嗯 有点儿意思
My turn now, Master Ye.
叶师父 该轮到我了吧铁桥勇 洪拳宗师
My turn now, Master Ye.
叶师父 该轮到我了吧
And what have you got for me, Yong?
勇哥你又怎么个贺法
A string of firecrackers.
一串儿炮仗
That move, isn't that Hung Gar?
分定寸 洪拳啊
I'm a jack of all trades.
我打杂家的
- You do mix it up. - What's wrong with that?
- 你可真够杂的啊 - 杂又怎么样
So long as it works.
能打不就行啦
Their 64 Hands have endless combinations.
人家宫家六十四手千变万化
Your Wing Chun is a three-trick pony.
你们咏春就三板斧
Spade, Pin, Sheath.
摊 膀 伏
- How can it compete? - Three's enough to take care of you.
- 能管用吗 - 三板斧就够你受的了
Yong, your fireworks have fizzled.
勇哥 你这串炮仗不怎么响啊
What of it? I'm an old man.
那又怎么样 我什么岁数了
He might be a Grandmaster, but don't hold back.
管他什么宗师不宗师的 追风赶月别留情
This has been a real privilege.
多谢各位前辈指路
Every generation produces new talent.
江山代有人才出
Mr. Ye, we were fated to meet.
幸会叶先生 是有缘
For my final contest,
今日是我最后一战
I suggest we match wits, not skill.
咱们今天不比武功比想法
As our guest, it's up to you.
上门都是客 主随客便
When our union was founded 25 years ago...
那年 中华武士会成立
...a man came from the South
从南方来了一个人
and offered a challenge.
话不多说
He held out a flat cake and asked our Master to break it.
手中拿着一块饼让我大师兄李存义掰开
Our Master wasn't offended.
我师哥李存义没有说话
He even named the man our first chairman.
还让他当了武士会的第一任会长
It wasn't because of his kung fu,
他凭的不是武功
Kung fu divides North and South.
拳有南北
Must the country divide as well?
国有南北吗
can you break this cake in my hand?
你能掰开我手中的这块饼吗
A Tai Chi master stopped a bird from flying
太极杨露蝉有鸟不飞的绝技
by giving it no perch from which to fly.
麻雀在他的手里飞不起来是因为无处借力
The Old Master's skill is too great.
老爷子还是功夫深
Mr. Ye is a sparrow in his palm.
叶先生就像那只麻雀
I don't think he can do it.
我看这饼啊 是掰不开了
The world is a big place.
其实天下之大
Why limit it to North and South?
又何止南北
It holds you back.
勉强求全等于固步自封
To you, this cake is the country.
在你眼中 这块饼是一个武林
To me, it's much more.
对我来讲是一个世界
Break from what you know and you will know more.
所谓大成若缺 有缺憾才能有进步
The Southern arts are bigger than just North and South.
真管用的话 南拳又何止北传
- Would you agree? - Well said.
- 你说对吗 - 说的好
All my life, I've been the victor.
宫某赢了一辈子
My technique has never failed me.
没有输在武功上
I never thought I'd see the limits of my own vision.
没承想 输在了想法
today I've made you famous.
今日我把名声送给你
In the future, you'll face challenges at every step.
往后的路 你是一步一擂台
I hope you'll be like me.
希望你像我一样
Pass on the torch.
凭一口气点一盏灯
Never give up the faith.
要知道念念不忘必有回响
Keep the light burning.
有灯就有人
Tonight, following Northern custom,
晚上的局 按北方的规矩
the winner will host a banquet.
赢的一方请客
You'll represent me.
你就代表我去
Don't worry, I'll do the right thing.
您放心 宫家人办事 没丢过人
Miss Gong, you mustn't do this.
姑娘 这事万万不可
The Gongs have never been defeated.
宫家没有败绩
To me, this contest isn't over yet.
输了 宫家有人会找回来
Give this to Mr. Ye. He'll understand.
把这个转给姓叶的 他懂
I have no chance to be as great as my father.
这辈子我是成不了像我爹那样一天一地的豪杰
It wasn't my choice.
可我不图一世
But I'll make my mark.
只图一时
Of Master Gong's Martial Arts,
宫宝森一身武艺
Ma San inherited the steel
马三得到了他的刚劲
and his daughter the silk.
女儿得到了他的柔劲
She's the sole heir to the 64 Hands.
是六十四手的唯一传人
Her moves are deadly.
一手叶里藏花 更是防不胜防
This isn't just a banquet.
一个女子在金楼摆下霸王夜宴
She's here to redeem the family honor.
就是让你非出来不可
Don't underrate Gong Er.
别小看她是个女的
The Martial Arts world has four taboos.
武行四大忌
Monks, Taoist priests, women, and children.
和尚 道士 女人 小孩
Grappling with them is a bad idea.
上门准没好事儿
If their 64 Hands are that good, how could I not accept?
人家摆那么大场面 怎能不去捧个场
It's said that all encounters in this world
也许,世间所有的相遇
are a kind of reunion.
都是久别重逢
And that was how we first met.
那是我们第一次见面
She was nothing I could've ever expected.
从此,改变了我的一生
my father sat here.
我爹就坐在这个位置
it's between us.
咱们就从这儿开始
- Please. - Pity about the lovely decor.
- 请 - 可惜了这一屋的精致
Kung fu is about precision.
功夫是纤毫之争
If anything gets broken, the win is yours.
真打坏了东西 算你赢
there were many rituals in our world.
有很多规矩
A challenger was an honored guest,
有人想来挑战 叫以武会友
welcomed with a banquet and sent off with gifts.
除了摆酒接风 走的时候还要饯行送礼
The night Gong Er left Foshan, I suggested a rematch.
在宫二离开佛山那晚 我跟她有个约定
It went your way this time.
千古无同局
Who knows what next time will bring.
叶底是否能够藏花有机会我们再印证
I dream of seeing the 64 Hands again in the snow.
I'm waiting. What's keeping you?
Foshan's never this cold.
佛山有这么冷吗
You'll go sooner or later.
你早晚都要去一趟东北的
We'll take a family portrait.
我们去照张全家福
In October 1938, the Japanese invaded Foshan.
1938年十月 佛山沦陷
Their army took over our home.
叶家大宅被日本宪兵部征用
If life has four seasons,
如果人生按四季分的话
we went from spring straight to winter.
那么我的家就像春天一下到了冬天
I'll be back with dinner.
很快就回来 等我宵夜
Rescue me from poverty?
帮我断穷根
I've never been poor in my life.
我这辈子还真没穷过
The country is in crisis and everyone is suffering.
现在国难当头 困难人人有
To be poor is no big deal.
穷一点儿也没什么
I'd rather starve than eat Japanese rice.
我这个人喝惯了珠江水 这日本的米
I won't collaborate. Enjoy your dinner.
我吃不惯 你们慢慢吃吧
爱国志士叶问断然拒绝,他的家庭从此陷于战火之中日本为了拉拢叶问,承诺可以提供庇护
They're brand-new.
还没上过身吧
I was going to the Northeast. But that's impossible now.
原本打算做了去东北的 现在怕是去不成了
Sell them and I can feed my family.
价钱要是合适 帮我卖了吧
Why's there a button missing?
怎么少了个扣子
Must've dropped off.
可能掉了
I began studying kung fu at age seven.
我七岁学拳
Before I turned 40, I was never beaten.
四十之前 未见过高山
When that happened,
到第一次碰到
it was life that dealt the blows.
发现原来最难越过的是生活
In eight years of war, I lost everything.
抗战八年 我变成一无所有
- China will never die!
揍他娘的小日本
Finally, I lost my family.
最后是我的家人
包括叶问的两个女儿南方有300万人死于饥饿在日本侵华期间
叶问于1950年到香港谋生为了重回故里但是佛山仍然动荡不安1945年 中日战争结束
Ever taught before, Master Ye?
叶师父您教过拳吗
To teach for a living is a new experience.
靠教拳吃饭还是第一次
- So why now? - I'm starting a new life.
- 怎么一下有这种打算 - 为生活
You've got your things. You must be confident.
连行李都带来了 你很有把握嘛
- Saves running back and forth. - We've never heard of Wing Chun.
- 省得来回跑 - 在香港知道咏春的人不多
- Any special moves? - Not really.
- 不知道有什么绝招 - 没绝招
Three basic hands: Spade, Pin, Sheath.
三板斧 摊 膀 伏
The Concept, The Bridge,
小念头 寻桥
and Darting Fingers.
还有标指
Double Knives, and the Six-and-a-half Point Pole.
八斩刀 六点半棍
- Anything else? - That's it.
- 还有别的吗 - 没别的
Bone-setting, internal energy,
跌打正骨 内功点穴
I don't do any of that.
一概不会
Street performance, lion dancing,
无瓦遮头 舞龙舞狮
I won't work like that.
一概不教
Kung fu's not a circus act,
教功夫不是街头卖艺
so I won't teach without a proper school.
所以无瓦遮头不教
Lion dancers jump at firecrackers.
舞狮抢炮
They're always brawling and showing off,
总会打架闹事 更何况争强斗狠
all for a bit of cash.
无非为一个红包
I'll ask you straight.
我再饶一句
Ever been in a real fight?
你打过架吗
It's wall-to-wall kung fu schools here.
这条街都是武馆
Fights start over nothing.
有事没事就踢馆
Master Ye, have you got what it takes?
叶师父 你觉得你行吗
Try me and find out.
我要说行 你能信吗
I've had a few years of training.
兄弟算是练过几年
Show me your stuff, Master Ye.
想请叶师父看看
- Have you had lunch? - Barbecued pork and rice.
- 午饭吃饱了没有 - 刚刚吃了一碗叉烧饭
I suggest you wait a bit. It'd be a shame to waste it.
我劝你先歇会儿 别浪费了
Brother Hung, are you OK?
雄哥 雄哥你没事吧
- Where's the tea? - Tea?
- 还不快去倒茶 - 倒茶
To give to your new master!
拜师啊
Is there a hammer?
有没有锤子啊
Master Ye, the boys and I want some lessons.
叶师父 我这帮兄弟想跟你学两手绝活
Eighty cents a head. Cheap enough.
八毛一位 不算贵
But call yourself a master, you'd better deliver the goods.
不过你当师傅的 得货真价实
No snake oil. How good is your kung fu, anyway?
绝不能卖假药 你那两下行吗
Hey! Little fucker.
嘿 兔崽子
Shut the door and it's on for real.
关门就是往死里打呀
You've got two hands and two feet. How you gonna beat us all?
你两只手两只脚 能打过几个啊
I have two hands, but... Wing Chun has eight kicks.
我有两只手 八只脚
Never mind your boys.
能打几个这不好说
There's more than enough for you.
打你一个绰绰有余
More than enough for me?
绰绰有余
- One more left.
- 这还有一脚呢
The life of an exile is rarely easy.
江湖夜雨十年灯 (黄庭坚《寄黄几复》)
It's full of ups and downs.
无非就是潮起潮落
Some look ahead.
有的人留心眼前路
Others live in the past.
有的人留恋生后身
In hard times, even a kung fu master might serve tea.
为势所逼 一代宗师都要自食其力
Back then, the streets were competitive,
当时的大南街 武馆林立
kung fu masters all around.
正所谓卧虎藏龙
Just accepting a stranger's cigarette could be dangerous.
抽着根烟 都可能会没掉小命
People, they change with the times.
唉 人呀 此一时彼一时
Wear shoes that suit the crossing, and pants that fit your ass.
过什么河 脱什么鞋 有多大屁股就穿多大裤衩
In Hong Kong, I can only afford these cigarettes.
来到了香港 我只能抽这种烟了
In Hong Kong, I can only afford these cigarettes.
丁连山 太极宗师来到了香港 我只能抽这种烟了
Back home, I smoked real Manchurian tobacco.
过去在老家 抽一口正宗的关东叶子烟
Now that was smoking.
讲究多了
"Be good, respectful, deferential."
要学会 “温 良 恭 俭 让”
"Deferential" is the key.
特别这个“让”字
Let's say I'm smoking.
比方说我现在抽烟
A stranger sits down.
对方坐了一个我不认识的人
I defer to him: "Have a smoke."
我也要让: 抽两口吧
Even if he doesn't smoke, he must accept
对方不管会抽不会抽 都要接受邀请
or he'll make me lose face.
否则就是不给面子
- Thank you. - You're welcome.
- 谢谢 - 不客气
You've got the gift.
是个大材
Twenty years ago, we could've sparred.
倒退二十年 我们还可以过过手
That year, refugees flooded into Hong Kong.
当时 有不少难民流落香港
Among them were many Northern masters.
其中很多都是武林的宗师
They brought their Martial Arts skills with them.
北方的拳种 开始在香港开宗立派
One was the fabled Baji master, "Razor."
其中最传奇的 是八极拳的一线天
- He called himself a barber.
他当时的身份 是一名理发师
Some said he was once an assassin,
有人称他是军统第一杀手
even the Last Emperor's bodyguard.
也有人称他是溥仪的保镖
even the Last Emperor's bodyguard.
一线天 八斩刀宗师也有人称他是溥仪的保镖
His blade was swift and untouchable.
他的剃刀很快一线天 八斩刀宗师
His blade was swift and untouchable.
他的剃刀很快
But a blade not blocked never sings.
不是一般人可以挡到
And he sought the Music of Steel.
所以号称 千金难买一声响
How about a game of chess?
能逼我动帅
It won't cost you much.
算你赢
I don't throw money away.
没有那闲钱
They say Wing Chun uses knives,
听说咏春有个八斩刀
and you never strike twice.
号称 棍无双响 刀无双发
- Want to see? - I want to hear it,
- 想听啊 - 想听
this priceless sound.
千金难买一声响
This razor hasn't seen an equal for a long time.
我这把剃刀已经有十年没人碰过他了
What will you use?
你拿什么听我的刀
Wing Chun has a saying."
咏春有句说法
You need both master and opponent.
学艺最忌无师无对手
A great master is like a scale,
有师傅 知分寸
a genuine opponent, a mirror.
有对手 便知高低
A well-matched opponent is as rare as a good friend.
知己难求 对手也都是一样
Razor put away his blade.
那晚之后 一线天封刀
But he never forgot that music
千金难买一声响 从此绝迹武林
and he gave Baji to Hong Kong.
而八极拳 也都是因为他 传入香港
China closed the border with Hong Kong later that year.
1950年4月 中港边境关闭
I was separated from my family.
我开始定居香港
For the identification photo,
在我领身份证的那天
a student lent me a suit so I'd fit in.
有个学生借了件西装给我 说是入乡随俗
I never wore one again.
之后我没再穿过
If I couldn't go home,
如果我做不了一位归人
I'd never fit in, no matter what I wore.
我宁愿 永远做一个过客
The day I left Foshan...
在我离开佛山那天
...I was sure I would be able to return.
我以为有一天会回来
Never thought it'd be the last time I saw her.
想不到那次是最后一面
After that I only had the path ahead.
从此我只有眼前路
There was no turning back...
没有身后身
...and no road home.
回头无岸
Having lost track of her for many years,
失散多年我终于
I finally found Gong Er in Hong Kong.
在香港找到宫二
She was no longer involved in the Martial Arts world.
她住在附近一家北方旅馆
She had become a doctor, as her father once wished.
开馆行医 很少跟武林中人来往
Well, sir, what might you want on this New Year's Eve?
这位爷,大年三十找上门来
Haven't seen you here before. Where are you from?
不是讨债就借钱 你来干啥来了
I'm here to see the doctor.
我来看病
You don't look too sick.
叶先生来不单是为看病吧
I'd like to see the 64 Hands again.
想再看一次宫家的六十四手
If you don't mind my saying...
说句玩笑话
If you'd said that at the door,
你要是一进门就说这话
I wouldn't have made it so easy
那恐怕你得先唱一出《杀四门》
for you to get in here to see me.
才能吃得上这顿饺子
I'd hoped to visit the Northeast in 1937.
民国二十六年我打算去东北
There was a challenge waiting for me.
因为那边有一座高山
I had a warm coat made.
大衣我都做了
But the war stopped me from going.
后来因为打仗所以没去成
I didn't keep the coat...
大衣没留下
...just one of its buttons.
只留下一颗扣子
The 64 Hands is too important a legacy.
宫家六十四手是一座高山
Why let it disappear?
不该就这样烟消云散
In centuries of Martial Arts history,
武学千年
so many things have vanished.
烟消云散的事 我们见得还少吗
Why should the Gong Family arts survive?
凭什么宫家的就不能绝
no art is higher than Heaven,
武艺再高 高不过天
no gift more solid than Earth.
资质再厚 厚不过地
Nothing lasts forever, and that's fine.
人生无常 没有什么可惜的
I'll keep this button, but...
这扣子 你拿回去
...as for what may and may not be seen,
咱们要见什么 不见什么
let's not talk about it now.
以后再慢慢说
I never expected to see him again...
想不见这个人
...especially under such circumstances.
怎么都见得着
Perhaps it's fate.
这兴许是天意
He still cares for you.
难得他一门心思
Your father would approve of him.
老爷子能乐醒过来
Miss Gong, the old rules don't apply here in Hong Kong.
姑娘,到了香港什么规矩都不成规矩了
The vow you took,
再说,你奉道这事
no one has to know.
你不说 我不说 他谁能知道
No arrow can return to its bow.
开弓没有回头箭
Others may live without rules.
别人可以没有规矩
do you know what happened ten years ago?
十年前的大年夜 你知道我在哪吗
马三,宫羽田的继任者,成为了日本人的走狗,在傀儡政权中为官
Do you remember what I taught you?
你知道我为什么叫你马三吗
Never put yourself first, show respect.
言必称三 手必成圈 是武林的一句老话
There's always someone better.
意思是能人背后有能人
To yield is not to lose.
凡事让人三分
Master, you've taught me
您老人家替我起这个名字
I took you in as an orphan.
你是跟着我长大的
You brought credit to our school.
在风头上你也算是为我们这一门挣名气的人
Let's go over my supreme move.
今天我想跟你说说我的一手绝活
"The Old Monkey Hangs Up His Badge."
老猿挂印
- Have you practiced it? - Yes.
- 练过没有 - 练过
You know the key to it?
这活的关隘是什么知道吗
I was never told.
没听您老人家说过
It's looking back in reflection.
老猿挂印回首望
It's not the upward move, but the turning back.
关隘不在挂印而是回头
Understand what I'm saying?
懂我跟你说的意思吗
A warrior molds himself to the times.
兵无常势 水无常形
What if... I can't turn back?
要是回不了头呢
Then the Gong Family legacy
那我宫家的东西
cannot live on in you.
就不能留在你的身上了
Never darken my door again.
永远都不许进我这个门
Oh ye gods and spirits,
西方正路
guide this soul to Paradise!
诸神引领啊
We have orders from Master Ma San to escort the Grandmaster's body.
奉家师马三爷之命送师爷一程
Tell Ma San he's a dead man.
让马三洗净脖子在家等着
- Let's go! ' Let's go!
- 走 - 走
...guide this soul to Paradise!
诸神引领啊
- Stay back. We're here for Ma San.
除了马三其他人都给我让开
Since you're my senior, I won't force my way in.
我敬你是师兄 不闯你屋子
You can't hide from me forever.
这道帘子挡不了你一辈子
I'll take back my family's legacy.
我今天是要拿回宫家的东西
"Better to advance than to stop."
宁可一思进 莫在一思停
The Old Master taught me this.
这是老爷子教我的拳理
It became my philosophy of life.
也是我做人的道理
It's a shame he couldn't follow his own advice.
可惜 他老人家想不开
His precious teachings are mine now.
宫家的东西至金至贵
send someone who's entitled.
必须得是宫家的人
You're just a woman.
你是许了亲的人
Miss, it's too much of a sacrifice.
姑娘,把那么好的亲事给推了
Is it really worth it?
值得吗
Once you take the vow, there's no turning back.
奉了道 那可是回不了头的
"Better to advance... than to stop."
宁可一思进 莫在一思停
It's the only way to honor my father.
他欺负我们宫家没人
为报父仇,宫二在佛前发誓奉道:终生不婚不生子不传艺
Is it hard to kill a man?
你说杀人难吗
Miss Gong, it's not like in the old days.
姑娘 现在不比从前了
Murder is punishable by death.
杀人是要偿命的
Is Ma San worth it?
为了马三犯得着吗
Miss, we make our own path in life.
姑娘,道是人走出来的
Should we go home, or keep waiting?
该回家还是接着等
It's New Year's Eve.
今天是大年夜
He'll be here soon.
他一定会来
- We have to wait. - All right.
- 必须等 - 好
This is between Miss Gong and Ma San.
今天是我家姑娘和马三的事儿
Everyone else stay out of it.
旁人不得插手
still playing with your monkey.
还在这儿耍猴戏
- Deal with him! - Get him!
- 打 - 打
Hm... You're worse than a debt collector,
哼,比追债的还狠
trying to ruin my New Year's Eve.
这年三十儿都不让我过
Your dinner may be waiting at home,
饺子就在锅里
but it won't be yours to eat.
怕你是吃不上了
I let you off before
我再三让着你
to avoid destroying the Gong clan.
不外乎是想替你们宫家留人留面儿
You should know when to give up.
别不知进退
Those needing salvation burn joss.
该烧香烧香
Those who are hungry, eat.
该吃饭吃饭
I will do and nothing can stop me.
天打雷劈也得办
The Gong Family legacy
宫家的东西
must return to me tonight.
你今天必须还
It's a part of me.
东西在我身上
...the Old Master spoke to me...
老爷子跟我说了一手
...about his supreme move:
他的绝活
"Old Monkey Hangs Up His Badge."
老猿挂印
He said the key to the move...
他说挂印的关隘
I thought he couldn't keep up with the times.
还以为是他慢了
The Gong Family legacy...
宫家的东西
You didn't return it.
不是你还的
I took it back myself.
是我自己拿回来的
In the winter of that year,
1952年冬天
Gong Er stopped seeing patients.
宫二停止挂牌
Her old injuries from the fight with Ma San
有人说是因为旧患
had driven her to opium.
开始吸鸦片
I last saw her at a teahouse.
我最后一次见她是在大南
Do you know this opera?
听得懂这戏吗
I think I heard it before in Foshan.
像是在佛山听过
- Something about a dream. - "A Dream of Love."
- 叫什么梦 - 《风流梦》
Love is just that, a dream.
风流本就是个梦
It's said no instrument is as lovely as a voice.
有人说 丝不如竹 竹不如肉
Words always sound better sung.
唱的 远比说的好听
- Has Miss Gong studied opera? - Just the basics.
- 宫先生学过戏呀 - 皮毛而已
Back then, if I'd put my mind to it,
当年 要真拧着性子把戏学下去
I'd be an opera star.
我定会是台上的角儿
All those tales, happy and sad...
千回百转 一悲一喜
If I tired of Yang Family Women Generals,
唱腻了《杨门女将》
I'd sing "Waking From a Dream."
就换《游园惊梦》唱唱
me on stage, you in the audience...
你在台下 我唱你看
...meeting that way.
想想那样的相遇
Wouldn't that be something?
也怪有意思的
But what if it was sold out?
我怕到时候一票难求啊
If you came, I'd save you a seat.
您看戏 我送票
You've performed well in the opera of life.
这几年宫先生唱做念打 文戏武唱
You have both timing and skill.
可是唱得有板有眼功架十足
Unfortunately, you never saw beyond your role.
可惜只差一点 就差一个转身
I'd no idea you watched me like an opera.
想不到你把我当戏看
This opera of mine, applauded or not,
我的戏不管人家喝不喝彩
will play on to the end.
也只能这样下去了
I asked you here to bring things to a close
今晚请您出来也是想把该了的事了一了
and say what needs to be said.
该说的话说一说
Are you going somewhere?
宫先生要出门
We have a saying in the North:
在北方有句老话
A tiger never quits the mountain.
人不辞路 虎不辞山
We've both been living on foreign soil.
这些年 咱们都是他乡之人
I'm so very tired.
我是真的累了
But I wanted to return this to you first.
临走前 有样东西要还给你
As for the 64 Hands...
六十四手
...I've already forgotten them.
我已经忘了
I was lucky to meet you in my prime.
我在最好的时候碰到你 是我的运气
Sadly, my time is running out.
可惜我没时间了
To say there are no regrets in life,
想想 说人生无悔
is just to fool yourself.
都是赌气的话
How boring it would be without regrets.
人生若无悔 那该多无趣啊
Mr. Ye, to tell you the truth...
叶先生 说句真心话
...I cared about you.
我心里有过你
I don't mind telling you that.
我把这话告诉你也没什么
It's not a crime to love.
喜欢人不犯法
But that's all it can ever be.
可我也只能到喜欢为止了
I never said that to anyone before.
这些话我没对谁说过
Seeing you tonight,
今晚见了你
I don't know why, but it just came out.
不知道为什么就都说出来了
Let's say we suspend this game of chess between us.
就让你我的恩怨像盘棋一样保留在那儿
In life, as in chess,
人生如棋落子无悔
a move, once made, stays on the board.
我们之间本来就没恩怨
What we have... is simply fate.
有的只是一段缘分
Your father once said,
你爹讲过
never give up the faith.
念念不忘必有回响
Keep the light burning.
有灯就有人
I hope that one day, I'll see the 64 Hands once more.
希望有一日 我可以再见宫家六十四手
My father said, "Mastery has three stages:
我爹常说 习武之人有三个阶段
I've seen the world.
也算见过天地
Sadly, I can't pass on what I know.
可惜见不到众生
This is a road I won't see to the end.
这条路 我没走完
I hope you will.
希望你能把它走下去
I grew up watching my father fight.
我是经小看着我父亲跟人交手长大的
The sound most familiar to me was that of bones breaking.
听的最多的是骨头碎的声音
My father was the first to merge Xingyi and Bagua.
打经我们太师爷辈 形意八卦就和成一家
When Father practiced Bagua, he allowed no one to watch.
我爹练八卦的时候 从不让人看
He only taught his discYeles Xingyi,
教徒弟 只教形意
for Bagua was lethal.
因为他说 八卦手黑
Father always said that if I was a singer I'd rule the stage,
我爹常说我这种人 唱戏能成名角
if a nun I'd run the temple,
出家能做高僧
for I lose myself in my passions.
因为我会迷
It's a pity I wasn't a boy.
可惜不是个男的
What I learned from my father wasn't skill
在我爹身上 我看到的不是招
so much as a code of honor.
是意
Those were my happiest days.
那是我最开心的日子
Like her father, Gong Er never lost a fight.
宫家从无败绩 宫二一生也没输给过谁
She only ever lost to herself.
要输 她宁愿输给自己
宫二故去后,叶问扩大他的教学范围,更加面向民众,收了众多弟子
包括他最著名的徒弟 李小龙宫二故去后,叶问扩大他的教学范围,更加面向民众,收了众多弟子
At seven, I started learning kung fu.
我七岁学拳
My master was Chan Wah-shun.
师傅是陈华顺
Wing Chun was still a secret art, and discYeles were rarely commoners.
我七岁学拳 师父是陈华顺 咏春是闭门拳 收徒弟很少是一般人家
Pledging loyalty cost 20 silver dollars,
我记得当年拜师 是二十个大洋
enough money to pay a handsome dowry.
普通人可以娶个老婆
Back then, it was only for the rich.
那时 一担谷也不过是两个银元
The day I became a discYele, my master tied my sash himself.
拜师那天 他亲手帮我上了条腰带
This sash stands for school and teacher.
这条腰带就是代表你师门 你师父
It stands for commitment to honor and respect our legacy.
一条腰带一道气 上了这条腰带 就是练武之人
You are now a martial artist.
以后 你就要凭这口气做人
I lived through dynastic times, the early Republic, warlords,
我一生经历光绪 宣统 民国 北伐
Japanese invasion and civil war.
抗日 内战
Finally, I came to Hong Kong.
最后到香港
What kept me going was the spirit of Wing Chun.
能够坚持下来 凭的就是这一句话
They say Wing Chun.
有人说 咏春因我而起 因我而收
I hope they're right.
我但愿他们是对的
I never did it for fame.
我一辈子没挂过招牌
The Martial Arts belong to all.
对我而言武术是大同的
Martial Arts is about kung fu, not schools.
武术应该只论功夫 不论门派
We're all on the same quest.
千拳归一路
It all comes down to those two words:
到头来就两个字
Horizontal. Vertical.
一横一竖
真正的武术家不会活在(武术的)规范当中,他只为了自己的意趣而活
—李小龙真正的武术家不会活在(武术的)规范当中,他只为了自己的意趣而活
真正的武术家不会活在(武术的)规范当中,他只为了自己的意趣而活
Co-starring Wang Qingxiang, Zhang Jin, Shang Tielong
Special Appearances by Woo Ping Yuen, Lo Hoi Pang, Lau Ka Yung
Lau Shun, Wang Mancheng, and Cung Le
Screenplay by Zou Jingzhi, Xu Haofeng, Wong Kar Wai
You can call me Ye Wen.
你可以叫我叶问
We can learn from one another. I really believe that.
功夫切磋 我无尚欢迎
But fists and feet do what they do.
不过拳脚无言
Our fate is up to the gods.
生死各安天命
What's your style?
你又是哪家的
Director of Photography PhilYepe Le Sourd
Additional Cinematography Song Xiaofei
Production Design by William Chang Suk Ping, Alfred Yau Wai Ming
Costume Design by William Chang Suk Ping
Edited by William Chang Suk Ping, Benjamin Courtines, Poon Hung Yiu
Original Score by Shigeru Umebayashi, Nathaniel Mechaly
Sound Design by Robert Mackenzie