我心深处 Interiors

上映日期: 1,978

语言: 英语

影片类型: 剧情

导演: 伍迪·艾伦

演员: 克里斯汀格里菲斯 / 玛丽·贝丝·赫特 / 理查德·乔丹 / 黛安·基顿 / E.G.马绍尔 / 杰拉丹·佩姬 / 玛伦·斯塔普莱顿 / 萨姆·沃特森 / Missy Hope / Kerry Duf


台词
《我心深处》Interiors 1978.我心深处
剪接 拉尔夫·罗森布兰
制作设计 梅尔·博恩
服装设计 乔·舒马赫
摄影 格顿威利斯
制片 查尔斯·乔佛
导演兼编剧 伍迪·艾伦
I had dropped out of law school when I met Eve.
遇上伊芙的时候 我从司法学校已经退学了
She was very beautiful.
她很漂亮
Very pale, cool in her black dress,
脸色苍白,在黑大衣下显得很清爽
with never anything more than a single strand of pearls.
只戴着一串珍珠项链
And distant. Always poised and distant.
而且冷漠,总是一副泰然自若的样子
By the time the girls were born, it was all so perfect, so ordered.
等到女孩们都出生了 一切都很完美,井井有条
Looking back, of course, it was rigid.
当然,回头再看,还是捉艰苦的
The truth is
事实上
she'd created a world around us that we existed in,
她创造了一个世界,而我们生活在其中
where everything had its place, where there was always a kind of harmony.
这个世界井然有序,总是显得很和睦
Great dignity.
张显着高贵的气质
I will say... it was like an ice palace.
不过在我看来...那就像是 一个冰雕的宫殿
Then suddenly one day,
然后突然有一天
out of nowhere,
无缘无故
an enormous abyss opened up beneath our feet
在我们的脚下出现了一个巨大的深渊
and I was staring into a face I didn't recognize.
而我看见了一张陌生的面孔
"The basic popularity and appeal of Mao
"毛泽东有着普遍的影响力
for so-called American Marxists. "
在所谓的美国马克思主义者中间"
This is supposed to go in the sequence -
而这应该是随着
in under the sequence in reel two about South Africa.
随着第二卷谈到的南非的事情 之后出现的
Um... what we wanna do is get two examples.
呃...我们会举出两个例子
The idea is his style was Marxist-Leninist - Mao's style -
他的风格是马克思列宁主义 毛泽东的风格
but that he was accessible to the lower classes because of his use of homilies.
和下层阶级的人民容易亲近是因为 他用的那套说教方法
An example is: "The hardest thing is to act properly throughout one's whole life. "
例如:"最难的就是一生 都做适当的事情"
What the hell does that mean? Or, even worse...
这到底是什么意思?或者更糟糕的是...
Eve. I wasn't expecting you.
伊芙,你怎么来了?
- I hope I'm not disturbing you. - No. I just couldn't imagine who it was.
- 希望我没有打扰你 - 没有,我只是在想会是谁
- Is Joey here? Where's Joey? - In the shower. Can I get you anything?
- 乔依在吗?她在哪儿? - 在洗澡,喝点什么?
Oh, just some coffee, if you don't mind.
噢,不麻烦的话一些咖啡就可以了
No, it's no trouble at all.
不,不麻烦
I think I've found a very nice vase for the foyer.
我找到一个很配门厅的花瓶
Uh-huh.
嗯哼
You'll probably think it's an extravagance, but it's not, all things considered.
可能你觉得有点奢侈 但并不是这样,整体来看的话
These pieces are becoming increasingly rare.
这些东西变得越来越珍贵
Isn't that exquisite?
精致吗?
I hope you like it, because it's perfect for the foyer.
希望你会喜欢,因为真的很适合放在门厅
We already have a vase in the foyer, Eve.
伊芙,在门厅已经有一个花瓶了
Yes, but this will never look right when we redo the floors.
是有,不过如果我们重铺地板的话 就不合适了
I've never understood why they have to be redone.
我不明白为什么非得 重铺地板不可
What? We discussed all that, Michael. Don't you remember? You agreed.
你说什么?迈克尔,我们已经讨论过了 你不记得啦?你也答应了
It costs money to have these things done and redone two and three times over.
这些东西重做两三次很费钱
But the... It's such a large floor space.
不过...房子显得太空旷了
We agreed the paler tones would make a more subtle statement.
我们都同意浅一些的颜色 会让房子看起来好一些
Pale woods would be lovely.
白木会很可爱的
I never agreed about anything. I'm always being told.
我从没同意过什么,总是由你告诉我而已
- I wouldn't put it that way. - How would you put it?
- 我才不会那样 - 那你是怎样的?
First the living room was finished, then it wasn't.
客厅刚弄好,又需要修整
Then the bedroom needed more work. Now the floors have to be stripped.
接下来又得改卧室,现在又要掀地板了
- You picked the sofa, then you hated it. - It was a lovely piece.
- 沙发是你选的,然后你又不喜欢 - 沙发很可爱
It just was the wrong scale. This is not an exact science.
但尺寸不对,又没有精确地测量过
Sometimes you just have to see it, then you get the feel of it.
有时候只有先看了之后再感觉
- You didn't like that in the bedroom? - I get better use out of it here.
- 你不喜欢把它放在卧室里吗? - 我觉得不在卧室更好
If you utilized it in here, that's fine. It's meant to be used,
如果你要放在这儿,也不错 反正都得用
but it was part of what we were doing in the bedroom.
但是我们本来打算用在卧室里的
It's the shade and the bedspread, they set each other off so nicely. I thought...
它很窗帘和床单很相配,我觉得...
- How much is the vase? - They're asking $400.
- 花瓶多少钱? - 他们要400美元
- Give me a break, Eve. - All right, Michael. I'll return it.
- 伊芙,你就不能让我喘口气 - 好吧,迈克尔,我会把它退了
Would you mind closing the window? The street noises are just unnerving.
你介意把窗户关上吗? 街上的噪音让人觉得烦躁
- I hope you aren't having an argument. - Not at all.
- 我希望你们不会吵架 - 不会的
Oh, I love that suit. It's a unique color.
噢,那衣服不错,颜色很特别
Renata calls it ice grey.
蕾娜达说这是冰灰色
It makes you look very beautiful. Isn't she beautiful, Michael?
你穿起来很漂亮,迈克尔,对吧?
- Very lovely. - I don't feel lovely.
- 很可爱 - 我不觉得可爱
I've been running up and down Second Avenue all day.
我一整天都在第二大道上逛来逛去
Oh, wow. Is this for us? It's exquisite.
噢,哇,这是给我们的吗?真精致
- No. I was just showing it to Michael. - It's too expensive.
- 不,我只是拿给迈克尔看 - 太贵了
Really? Well, that's too bad.
是吗?那太糟了
- Eve, let's keep it. - No, no.
- 伊芙,我们留下它 - 不,不用
Yeah. It's very beautiful. We'll work something out.
我们留下,很漂亮,我们得好好设计一下
No, I was just carried away by it. I don't know why.
不,只是看见它很兴奋,也不知道为什么
Guess it's because it's so unique. But it is an extravagance.
我想是因为很特别,不过太奢侈了
I'll just look for something along the same lines at a better price.
我找找看同一种风格,不过价钱合适些的
But this really belongs in the bedroom
不过它真的适合放在卧室里
because it's too insignificant a piece for in here.
放在这儿太不显眼了
The shade is just wrong against all these slick surfaces.
那颜色和旁边光滑的表面很不配
- I'll put it back. - No. I want to try it in a different spot.
- 我会把它放回去的 - 不,我再试试其它地方
I can fix something for you,
我再给你们挑些东西
something more inexpensive.
一些不太贵的
I've seen some nice pewters. Um, maybe gunmetal.
我已经看上了一套白蜡制的 也许是炮铜的
And I can make the shade in a smoother fabric, if you prefer.
若你们喜欢,我能让帘子料子更光滑一些
But we should stick with my beiges and my earth tones.
不过我们应该坚持用米色和褐色
- "Beiges and... " - Stop picking on her.
- "米色和..." - 别责怪她
- Nobody's picking on her. - She's a sick woman.
- 没人说她 - 她只是得了病
- That's great. - Yes, it's nice.
- 真不错 - 嗯,挺好的
So how do you feel?
还好吗?
I'm fine. I'm just a little tired, that's all.
没事,只是有点累,就这样
- Coffee. - Oh, thank you.
- 喝点咖啡 - 谢谢
Oh, I tell you, so many jobs. It's just exhausting.
给你说,太多工作了,太累了
Yeah, I know. I can't get over how you sort of jump right in and do it.
是啊,我知道,我不明白为什么 你能那么投入做那些
Well, I like it. I like to be busy.
我喜欢做,喜欢忙的感觉
And I think I can say that my comeback is over the shaky period. Wouldn't you say?
我觉得已经从不稳定的时候 熬过来了,你觉得呢?
I think so. I think your work is better, in fact, than it's ever been.
我也觉得是,你的工作好多了 实际上比以前好多了
- Do you? - Yeah.
- 是吗? - 是啊
Well, I have to admit that I have received some rather special compliments lately.
我不得不承认最近听了一些很特别的赞美
- Oh, yeah? - Uh-huh.
- 哦,是吗? - 嗯哼
Yes. Well, my spirits are high. I'm feeling good about myself.
我的情绪高涨,自我感觉很好
Not to say that I don't run into an occasional setback,
不能否认有时会遇到挫折
but I haven't really felt so confident in a long time.
不过好久没有感觉这么自信了
You look better than you have in ages.
你看起来好多了
Oh. Have you talked to Dad lately?
噢,最近和爸爸说过话吗?
No. He's still in Greece.
没有,他还在希腊
When he comes back, I hope you'll corroborate the state of my wellbeing.
他回来的时候,你得向他保证 我很好
Of course.
当然
I've pulled myself together in a way that he never thought possible.
我已经朝他觉得不可能的方向努力了
- I mean, you're really impressive. - Oh...
- 我觉得你真的很棒 - 噢...
Well, maybe a reconciliation could finally be discussed.
也许最后得讨论一下和解的问题
Think so?
你觉得呢?
Well, it hasn't been that much time.
不过没那么多的时间
I really don't... I don't know.
我真的不...不知道
- Why are you always so negative? - I don't think that was negative.
- 为什么你总是这么消极? - 我不觉得这是消极
Oh, you're always reluctant to encourage me. I don't know why.
噢,你总是不愿意鼓励我 我不知道是为什么
Mother, I know that you're optimistic, but it's important for you to be realistic, too.
妈妈,我知道你很乐观 但你也必须现实点儿
- Is there something you're not saying? - No.
- 你还准备说什么? - 没什么
Dr. Lobel doesn't think it's unrealistic
洛贝尔医生认为你爸爸
to hope that your father and I might reconcile. It's just a goal.
和我和解不是不现实的,只是一个目标
Fine. I didn't say anything to get in the way of that.
好吧,我不会再说什么丧气的话了
You always make it sound as though it's impossible.
你总是让人听起来 好像是不可能的事
- I didn't say it was impossible. - Yes, you did. You imply that a lot.
- 我没有说不可能 - 你说了,你暗示了很多
Renata thinks it's going to happen.
蕾娜达就觉得我们会和解
- I'm sure she didn't say that. - She did. She implied that.
- 我敢肯定她不会那么说 - 她说了,她含蓄地表达过
- Maybe you read into it. - No. She just looks on the bright side.
- 可能是你误解了 - 不,她只会往好的方面看
Oh, great. That's wonderful. I just don't think you should delude yourself either.
哦,真好,太棒了,我只是认为 你不应该骗自己
So there's no chance your father will want to live with me?
所以你父亲没希望 再想和我住一起咯?
- I didn't say that. - Renata thinks there's a good chance.
- 我没那么说 - 蕾娜达认为会有机会的
- Just wait and see. - You just refuse to encourage me.
- 等着看吧 - 你就是不愿意鼓励我
- Why don't you discuss it with Renata? - I will, thank you. I will.
- 为什么你不和蕾娜达讨论这个呢? - 我会的,谢谢你提醒,我会的
Mother paced all the time.
妈妈一直在走来走去
She...
她...
Um...
呃...
She was an insomniac.
她患失眠症
You could, um... always hear her upstairs
你总能,呃...听见她上楼
pacing in the middle of the night.
半夜起来踱步
But that was more when she... got back from the hospital.
不过她从医院回来之后,次数更多了
I, uh...
我,呃...
I saw her...
我看见她...
the first day that they brought her back. Um...
第一天他们带她回来的时候,呃...
She'd had all this...
她得承受...
electric shock therapy and... her hair looked grey.
电击疗法,而且...她的头发变成灰白色
And I couldn't believe it. It was... It was like...
我简直不敢相信,就像...就像...
she was a stranger.
她是一个陌生人
After that, she was always sort of, um...
那之后,她总是...
coming in and... going out.
进来,然后...出去
I guess you...
我想你...
you never knew.
你绝不会知道
Before her breakdown, she was very successful. She was very demanding.
她神经衰弱之前,是个很成功的女人 她的要求一向很高
She, uh...
她,呃...
she put Dad through law school and financed the start of his practice.
她供父亲读完司法学校,还资助他 开始事业的第一步
So in a sense, it was like he was her creation.
所以从某种意义来说,他就像是 她创造出来的一样
We kept getting shuffled around to aunts and cousins.
我们一直在姑姑和表兄妹间 被推来推去
And I guess Joey had the worst of it, cos...
我想乔依最惨,因为...
As a kid, Joey was very high-strung. She was a bright kid, you know? She...
她小的时候很容易紧张 她很聪明,你知道吗?她...
She was very sensitive.
她很敏感
We'd spend some time with Dad, mostly long Sunday breakfasts.
我们有时候和父亲在一起 大多是一起吃周日的早餐
I always resented his relationship to her. I always felt that he favored Joey.
我总是嫉妒父亲和她的关系 我总觉得他偏爱乔依
It just seemed that they were very close and that I was left out.
看起来好象他俩很亲密而我被排除在外
I like Frederick.
我喜欢弗雷德里克
He has dignity... and promise as a writer.
他很高贵...而且说一定会成为作家
My own strength is visual.
我的实力是显而易见的
Your images are visual, Renata.
蕾娜达,你的形象很耀眼
And in all candor,
坦白说
I much prefer Frederick to Mike.
相对于迈克来说我更喜欢 弗雷德里克
Mike's fine, Mother.
迈克很好,妈妈
Well, he uses a very strong aftershave.
他老是用味道很浓的须后水
- It permeates the house. - I don't wanna talk about it.
- 弄得整个屋子都是 - 我不想谈那个
Do you think that if I bought him another kind of cologne he would switch?
你觉得如果我给 他另外一种古龙水他会换吗?
- Can we talk about something else? - Well, let me give him some.
- 我们能谈点别的吗? - 好吧,我得送给他些
Then we won't have to talk about it. It'll just be my gift.
那么我们就不用再谈了 算是我送他的礼物
Could we please talk about something else?
我们能不能谈点其它事情?
Look, I wanna say something. I'm gonna be very direct.
这样,我来说,我会直接说
I think the occasion calls for it.
我觉得是时候该说了
I've done a lot of thinking about this matter
这个问题我已经想了很久了
and a great deal of soul-searching.
而且反省了很多次
Now that the girls are all on their own, I feel that for my own self
既然孩子们都独立了 我觉得我也该过自己的生活了
I must come to this decision,
我不得不作这个决定
though I don't take it lightly.
而且我很慎重得考虑了
I feel I've been a dedicated husband and a responsible father,
我认为自己是个尽职的丈夫 一个负责的父亲
and I haven't regretted anything I've been called upon to do.
对要求我做的一切我 并不觉得后海
Now I feel I want to be by myself for a while.
现在我觉得该自己过段时间了
And consequently, I've decided to move out of the house.
所以,我决定搬出这个房子
I don't know how I'll feel about it when I finally do it, and it's not irrevocable,
我不知道最后搬出去的时候感觉 是什么,而且也不是不可改变的
but I feel it's something I have to try.
不过我觉得我一定得试试
Now, as I say, it's not an irrevocable situation.
就像我说的,这不是不可改变的
It's a separation.
只是分开一段时间
It may be for the best. It may not.
可能是最好的方法,也可能不是
But I wanted to lay it on the table so that everything is open
但我想在饭桌上说出来 这样事情都很公开
and as direct as possible.
也尽量地直接
Will you please not breathe so hard?
你能不能别那么重地吸气?
- I'll move out. - What does that mean?
- 我要搬出去 - 是什么意思?
- I don't want to live in this house. - Eve, think about it.
- 我不想住在这个房子里了 - 伊芙,你考虑一下
- I'll move out! - Look, it's not irrevocable.
- 我要搬出去! - 瞧,这不是无法挽回的
It's a trial separation.
只是试着分开一下
I can't be alone.
我不能单独过
- Eve... - I don't wanna discuss the details now.
- 伊芙... - 现在我不想讨论细节
It's a very bad time for me.
对我很难熬
My impotence set in a year ago.
一年前我就开始衰弱
My paralysis.
就开始瘫痪
I suddenly found I couldn't write any more.
我突然觉得自己不能再写作了
Rather, I shouldn't say suddenly. Actually, it started happening last winter.
也许我不该说突然 确切说是从上个冬天开始的
Increasing thoughts about death just seemed to come over me.
好象我越来越多的时间 开始考虑死亡
Um, these, uh...
呃,就是...
A preoccupation with my own mortality.
提前想到自己的死亡问题
These... feelings of futility in relation to my work.
觉得...工作很无意义
I mean, just what am I striving to create anyway?
我是说,我到底在努力创造什么呢?
I mean, to what end? For what purpose, what goal?
我是说,是什么目的? 打算怎样?有什么目标?
I mean...
我是说...
Do I really care if a handful of my poems are read after I'm gone?
我真的在乎死之后有人 读我的诗歌吗?
Is that supposed to be some sort of compensation?
那样算是一种补偿吗?
I used to think it was,
过去我认为是...
but...
不过...
now, for some reason...
现在,由于某些缘故...
I can't... I can't seem to...
我不能...好象不能
I can't seem to shake the real implication of dying.
改变快死去的真正寓意
It's terrifying.
很可怕
The intimacy of it embarrasses me.
它的奥妙让我很烦嘀
What's the matter? You still thinking about your mother?
怎么了?你还在想你的妈妈吗?
I can't believe Renata encourages her. She fills her full of false hope.
真不敢相信蕾娜达居然鼓励她 给她灌输错误的希望
She's just trying to keep her spirits up.
她只是想让她精神振奋
I wanna quit my job.
我想辞职
Oh, Joey!
噢,乔依!
I can't keep my mind on it. I can't concentrate.
我没法专心,没法集中精神
I sit there all day, reading other people's manuscripts, and I lose interest.
我整天坐在那儿,看别人的稿子 我失去兴趣了
I get headaches. Then I'm meant to write an opinion. It's not fair to the authors.
我很头疼,而我还得写一些看法 对作者来说并不公平
A month ago you said you finally found something you enjoyed.
一个月前你说你终于 找到感兴趣的了
Well, I was wrong.
是啊,可我错了
I think about going back to acting.
我想过回去演戏
I'm not an actress.
可我不是个演员
Can't do that again. Flyn's the actress in this family.
不能再做那个了 有芙琳一个演员就够了
Why don't you work with me?
为什么你不和我一起工作?
Because political activity is not my interest.
因为我对政治活动不感兴趣
I'm too self-centered for that.
我太以自我为中心了
That's my whole point. It would get you off yourself.
那就是我要说的 那会让你变得不像自己
Sometimes I think if we had a child...
有时我想若我们有个孩子...
Oh, God.
噢,老天
I mean, that really makes me anxious. I mean... it's totally irrevocable.
我觉得,那真让我紧张 我是说...完全不能改变
Whatever happened to your photography? You used to be so hot on that.
摄影呢?过去你很喜欢那个
I hate it. It's stupid.
我讨厌那个,真愚蠢
I feel a real need to express something
我觉得我很需要表达一些东西
but I don't know what it is I want to express or how to express it.
不过我不知道我想表达什么 或者是怎样表达
It's always so difficult getting Mother a birthday present. It's impossible.
给妈妈选生日礼物总是很难 简直不可能
Please, let's not stay forever at the party. I wanna finish proofreading those galleys.
求你,我们别一直呆在宴会上 我还想把校对做完
Oh, come on, Frederick. Really, I hardly ever see Mother.
噢,弗雷德里克,别这样 我很难见到妈妈
I hardly ever spend time with her at all.
实际上我很难和她呆一会儿
It won't be so terrible. Flyn will be there.
没那么糟糕,芙琳会在那儿的
Terrific. We get caught up on the latest Hollywood gossip.
真恐怖,我们得陷入最新的 好莱坞八卦了
Oh, come on, Frederick. You know Flyn likes you.
嗅,弗雷德里克,你知道芙琳喜欢你
And don't behave condescendingly. I think she senses you talk down to her.
别表现得像是屈草四似的,我认为 她会感觉你屈身向她说话
I don't talk down to Flyn. I love hearing about her hair and her weight
我没屈身跟她谈话,我喜欢听到 关于她头发和体重的报道
and the latest piece of TV junk she's done.
还有她最新做的烂电视节目
Well, that's her life.
好了,那是她的生活
And anyway, you have to admit she is a sexy little girl.
不管怎样,你得承认她是个 性感的小姑娘
No. Flyn is the opposite of sexy.
不,芙琳是性感的反面
Hey, what about a scarf?
嘿,围巾怎么样?
Flyn suffers from the same thing my last book suffered from.
芙琳面临的问题和我的上一本书一样
She's a perfect example of form without any content.
是个很好的只有形式没有内容的例子
That's very profound. And you haven't even started drinking yet.
真是深刻,而你还没开始喝酒呢
I am profound. But I'm not the award-winning writer.
我是很深刻,不过不是可以 得奖的作家
You're supposed to be giving me insights into sex and other phenomena.
你应该给我一些关于性和其它 现象的见解
- Really. - Really? C'mon, let's go. Frederick.
- 真的 - 是吗?走吧
You look fabulous, Mother. But the main thing is that you're feeling well.
你看起来真令人难以置信 妈妈,不过最主要的是你感觉很好
- Yes, but I tire so easily. - Can I help with something?
- 是的,不过我很容易就感到疲倦 - 我能帮上忙吗?
Joey says you're thinking about taking on some decorating projects.
乔依说你正想着 接一些装饰的项目
Yes. Joey pushes me. But I'm not going to accept anything
是的,乔依希望我做 不过我不会接任何工作
until I'm sure I can maintain the level that I expect of myself.
除非我确定自己保持所期望 的那个水平
Mother, I can't believe this view. It's just beautiful.
妈妈,我真不敢相信看到的,太美了
I'm getting used to it.
我已经习惯了
I miss the sea.
我想念大海
I can't get over how sexy Flyn got.
芙琳真性感
Yeah. She looks beautiful, doesn't she?
是啊,她很漂亮,不是吗?
- Your new film is in Arizona? - No. It's in Denver.
- 你的新电影是在亚利桑那州吗? - 不,是在丹佛
I leave tomorrow. I have to be ready to shoot on Monday.
我明天就走,得在周一开拍
I have so many lines to learn. But it's just a television movie.
我还有好多台词要背,不过 只是个小电影罢了
- Did you speak to Dad? - Yeah. I've spoken to him on the phone.
- 你和爸通过话吗? - 通过,跟他打过电话
- Did he mention anything? - He said he visits you.
- 他提到什么了吗? - 他说他去看过你
Just now and then.
只是偶尔
Mom?
妈?
Nothing to live for any more.
没什么盼头了
- Don't say that. - It's true.
- 别那么说 - 是真的
You know that's not true. Mother, look... It's all right, Mom.
你知道那不是真的,妈,看... 一切都很好
- What's the matter? - Nothing. She's fine.
- 怎么了? - 没什么,她很好
Mom, it's a trial separation.
妈,只是试着分开而已
Of course it is. We've been through this before. Everything'll work out.
当然是这样,我们已经熬过来了 一切都可以解决
Renata.
蕾娜达
- It's her birthday, let her enjoy it. - I don't think that's exactly the right way.
- 今天是她生日,让她高兴些 - 我不觉得那是正确的方法
- Ah! - You like it?
- 啊! - 你喜欢吗?
Oh, now, that's lovely. That's lovely.
嗅,真可爱,真可爱
- That's pretty. - It's exactly like yours.
- 很漂亮 - 正好配你
Very nice. Thanks.
很不错,谢谢
- Lovely. - I'm so glad.
- 很可爱 - 我很高兴
I hope it fits. I think... I'm pretty positive it will.
我希望它合适,我想... 我肯定会合适的
Frederick has finished what I've already told him is his best work by far.
弗雷德里克已经完成迄今为止最好的 作品了,就像我说的
- That's what you said about the last one. - But I really feel that this one comes off.
- 上一次你也那么说 - 不过我真觉得这个会成功
- It's terribly concise... - You said the same thing. Concise. Spare.
- 特别得简明... - 你说一样的词,简明,精练
- Well... - You couldn't think of anything you liked,
- 其实... - 你不能想到任何你喜欢的东西
so you had to call it something. Concise. Spare. Pithy. Lean.
所以你得有个叫法 简明,精练,简洁,精简
OK. Well, you just can't handle a compliment, that's all.
好吧,你只是不知道怎么 应付赞美罢了
Guess I can't.
可能吧
- We gotta go. - We hardly had any chance to speak.
- 我们得走了 - 我们还没什么机会讲话呢
I know.
我知道
So how are you doing? You seem... You look OK.
那你怎么样? 你看起来...还不错
I'm good.
我很好
I read something of yours in a magazine. New Yorker, I think.
我看到杂志上你写的,我想是,纽约人
Poem called "Wondering".
诗的名字是"诧异中"
- It was very beautiful. - It's an old poem.
- 很美的诗 - 是古老的诗了
I redid it. And now when I reread it, I find it much too ambiguous.
我修改了一下,现在我重新读时 觉得更模糊了
Nah. I may redo it again.
不,我得再修改一下
We're starting our drive back. Can we drop you someplace?
我们正要开车回去,要载你一程吗?
I have to catch a plane really early tomorrow morning.
明天特别早我得搭飞机
Oh, right. I heard you're shooting a movie in the cold Rocky Mountains of Colorado.
噢,这样啊,我听说你正在寒冷的科罗拉多 落基山拍戏
Couldn't be some place like Acapulco. That's my idea of fantasy.
就不能在像阿尔普尔科的地方吗 像是我作白日梦
Lie around on the beach. Get waited on hand and foot.
躺在沙滩上,等着被从头到脚服侍
Really? I can't take Mexico. I always think I'll get shot just walking down the street.
是吗?我可受不了墨西哥 总觉得走在街上就会被枪杀
What was that?
是谁啊?
"Happy birthday. Love, Arthur. "
"生日快乐,爱你的,亚桑"
They're beautiful.
可真漂亮
I like white roses better than any other flower on earth.
这世上我最喜欢的就是白玫瑰
There you are. I knew he wouldn't forget.
你在这儿啊,我知道他不会忘的
Mom. And you were worried?
妈,你在担心吗?
They're a good sign. Don't you think?
这是好预兆,你觉得呢?
Well? Are you getting dressed or what?
怎样?你在穿衣服还是干吗?
Frederick, are you talking to me?
弗雷德里克,你在听我说吗?
We said everything.
我总是听着的
Don't blame me. I've been nothing but understanding.
别责备我,我只能理解你
- You don't help by patronizing me. - I wasn't.
- 你的资助并不能帮我 - 我没有资助你
Your work is great. Who cares what the critics think?
你的工作很伟大,谁在乎 那些评论家说什么啊?
That's easy for you to say. You get encouragement. You're their little darling.
说得容易,你得到鼓励了 你是他们亲爱的宝贝
They're lenient with me, obviously, because I'm a woman.
他们对我很仁慈 显然因为我是个女人
No.
不是的
- It's because you're so damn good. - So are you.
- 是因为你真的很出色 - 你也是啊
The book didn't get the response it deserved.
书没有得到它应该得到的回应
I hate to tell you how often they've missed the boat.
我得说他们总错过最好的
Stop lying to me. I count on you for honesty, not flattery.
别撒谎,我希望你诚实,而不是奉承
I'm not lying. I'm not lying. And who cares what anybody thinks?
我没撒谎,我没说谎话 谁在乎别人怎么想呢?
They think what I think. My work once showed promise and I haven't delivered.
他们在想我怎么想,我承诺过 可是没有实现
Your work's not fashionable. You should be thankful for that, for God's sakes.
你的工作不是时下流行的,你应该 觉得感激,看在上帝的份上
What are you after? The superficial acclaim
你追逐的是什么呢? 是肤浅的评论
of some little book reviewer in some room somewhere?
出自某个房间的小书籍评论员吗?
We've always talked about fine work that means something in the long run.
我们谈的是好的作品 意味着能有很长的路走
I don't care about fine work!
我不在乎什么好作品!
I don't wanna wait 25 years. I wanna be able to knock somebody over now!
我不想等25年,我想现在就让别人震惊
They're stricter with you because you attempt more. They refuse to take that...
他们对你更严格因为你尝试得 更多,他们拒绝...
Stop looking for excuses, all right? I'm not writing for a time capsule.
别找理由了,好吗? 我不想写什么时代文物
And half the stuff that's written, it's garbage, they praise sky-high.
而写的一半东西都是垃圾 他们还称赞到天上去了
The baby-sitter will be here in a minute.
保姆马上来
- I told you, I'm not going. - We can't not go. What is the matter?
- 我给你说过了,我不去 - 我们不能不去,怎么了?
I'm not in the mood for your lesbian friends
我现在没心情见你那些女同性恋朋友
and a lot of vacuous gossip about New York poetesses.
还有关于纽约女诗人的无聊的评论
Will you stop pitying yourself so much? I'm going.
你能不能别自冷了?我要走了
Look, why can't you just once in a while consider my feelings and my needs?
瞧,你怎么不能有一次 体惊一下我的感受,我的需要呢?
I'm sick of your needs! I'm tired of your idiosyncrasy and competitiveness.
我受够你的需要了,我对你的特异性格 和好斗厌倦了
I have my own problems!
我也有自己的问题
There'll be chitchat about the nature of poetry,
又要有关于诗性的谈论
your symbolism, your contribution to whatever.
还有你的象征主义,你对什么 什么的贡献
We never see Marion and Gail. I don't understand. You used to like them.
我们从没见过马里恩和盖尔 我真不明白,你以前很喜欢他们
I can't stand 'em. They're so enthusiastic. College kids. I get embarrassed.
我受不了他们,太热情了 大学里的年轻人,我不知所措
Oh, well, don't get embarrassed. Don't come. Drink yourself unconscious.
噢行了别不知所措了 别来了,继续喝得意志不清吧
That's one clich?of being a novelist you have no problem with.
别再说什么一帆风顺的 小说家之类的陈词滥调
Yeah, I sure can drink.
是啊,我肯定要喝
You're fine as long as I keep everything going.
只要我把什么都安排好了 你就满意了
- What? - Sh.
- 什么? - 唏!
You mean the cheques from Daddy so you can write yourself into immortality?
你是说在上帝开的支票上 你可以把自己写入不朽啦?
I also raise the family that you wanted. Or thought you wanted.
我还要养这个你想要的家 或者是想你需要什么
Hey, you made some noises about experiencing motherhood.
嘿,你老在说做母亲的经验史
I'm sure you thought it was great raw material.
我敢肯定你想这一定是好的原料
Well, now you got another human being.
好啊,现在你又可以再生一个
It wasn't my idea, and I'm not ashamed to be subsidized either.
那不是我想要的,而我也不觉得 退下来有什么可羞耻的
I turn things out.
我创造出来东西
Yeah, you do.
是啊,你是这样的
You turn things out. You're incredible.
你创造出东西,真让人惊叹
Frederick...
弗雷德里克...
Frederick, you have so much to offer.
弗雷德里克,你有很多东西可以写
I wanna help, not hurt.
我想帮你,而不是伤害你
I can't go out. I'm not in the mood. I'm liable to kill somebody.
我不能出去,我没有心情,我想杀人
I'm going. Bye.
我要走了,拜
You look as good as I've seen you in a long time.
你看起来很好,像是很久以前 看到的一样
And in no time at all you've turned this place into a lovely home.
而且很快你就把这里变成 一个可爱的家
I saw Joey last week.
上周我见乔依了
I may be working on her apartment.
我可能给她的公寓工作了一段
Mike seems amenable. He isn't really what I had in mind for Joey.
迈克好象太顺从了,他不是 我真正想给乔依找的
But I'm getting more used to him.
不过我变得越来越习惯于他了
She has no direction.
她没有方向
I expected such great things from her.
我觉得她能做伟大的事
She was an extraordinary child.
她是个很出色的孩子
- And how are you getting along, Arthur? - Fine.
- 那么你过得怎么样,亚桑? - 很好
I'm fine.
我很好
Busy. It's important to keep busy.
很忙,保持忙碌很重要
Did you like the Matisse drawing? It was on sale at Parke-Bernet.
你喜欢马蒂斯的画吗? 正在帕克·波纳拍卖
Oh, yes. It's lovely.
嗅,是的,很有趣的画
So delicate.
很精致
Well...
那么...
We'll talk, Eve.
伊芙,再说吧
She's got to go back to the sanatarium, for a while at least.
她要回疗养院去了,至少得住一阵
Oh, poor Joey. Poor Joey.
噢,可冷的乔依,可冷的乔依
She spent so much time with her, and... I don't know. What's the point?
她和她待了很长时间,而且... 我不知道,重点是什么?
We can't watch her constantly. There's no way you can be with her all the time.
我们不能一直看护她,没法总是陪她
How is Joey?
乔依呢?
I worry about her. She seems to be floundering.
我担心她,她看起来很挣扎
I don't know. I guess she hasn't found herself yet.
我不知道,我想她还没有找到自我
Couldn't you help her? She looks up to you.
你不能帮帮她吗?她尊敬你
I do, Dad, I try. I try to be supportive. I try to encourage her.
爸,我有,我试着支持她 试着鼓励她
I'm not criticizing,
我不是在责怪你
but it just seems to me there's always been an antagonism between you two.
不过好象你们俩看起来 总有些不对头
Well, you know Joey. She tends to be competitive with me.
好吧,你知道乔依,她总想跟我争
Well, you're very successful. I think you kinda hold that over her.
你很成功,所以对她有些威胁
- Come on, Dad. That's not true. - No, Renata, I'm not blind.
- 别这样说,爸,那不是真的 - 不,蕾娜达,我没有瞎
I see what's going on. You seclude yourself in Connecticut,
我知道发生了什么,你把 自己隔离在康涅伙格
acting the aloof artist, and no one can get near you.
演着独角戏,没有人接近你
I don't wanna discuss this right now.
我现在不想讨论这个
Just avoid the subject. I'm upset. You're upset.
就想绕开这个话题,我很不安,你也是
Joey had such potential. And now it's come to nothing.
乔依有这个潜力,而现在却没实现
It's so typical. As usual, you're obsessed with Joey while Mother is lying...
真是典型,还像以前一样 你总护着乔依,那时候妈妈还躺在...
Now, don't blame me for that.
现在别为那个责备我
That's nobody's fault.
那不是任何人的错
- How's Frederick? - Oh, fine.
- 弗雷德里克怎么样? - 噢,挺好的
- He's going to be teaching at Barnard. - Oh, how nice.
- 他要去巴纳德教书去了 - 噢,真不错
I read something he wrote recently in Sunday Times Review, I think.
我看了他在时论周刊上登的文章
It was very nasty, but very funny.
内容让人不太喻快,不过很有趣
It's a giraffe - enormous. Cory would love it.
篇幅很长,不过我想柯瑞会喜欢的
It's probably way too much money but I'd like to buy her one.
那可得花一大笔钱,不过我可以给她买
She's so cute. She sits and has conversations with the television set.
她很可爱,坐在那儿 跟电视说话
She's such a pretty thing.
她真漂亮
- How's Mike? - Fine.
- 迈克怎么样? - 不错
We'd love to see you and Frederick.
很高兴见到你和弗雷德里克
Oh, well, that'd be great, but it's been sort of a rough week for me.
噢,那真好,不过就是 这周对我来说有些糟糕
It doesn't have to be this week.
也不是这周才这样
I gotta give Frederick a chance to get settled in at Barnard.
我希望弗雷德里克能 在巴纳德妥定下来
Renny, why do you keep pushing me away?
雷妮,你干嘛总排挤我呢?
- Well, I don't. - Yeah, you do.
- 我没有啊 - 你有
- It's like you don't want me near you. - Oh, Joey, come on.
- 似乎你不想我靠近你 - 噢,乔依,不是的
You know I've had work problems. I need isolation. I need to be alone.
你知道我工作遇到些麻烦 我得解决它,得单独呆着
The creative thing, it's very delicate.
创造上的东西很棘手
That's great. You hide behind your work, Flyn's never here, and I inherited Mother.
好吧,你就躲在工作后面,芙琳又不在 只有让我照顾妈妈
I see Mother too. I phone her.
我也和妈妈见面,给她打电话
Yeah. But you're in Connecticut, and I end up with all the dirty work.
是啊,不过你在康涅伙格,而我 得收拾这些麻烦的活儿
I can't help it if you feel guilty about your feelings toward Mother.
如果你觉得对妈妈觉得抱歉 我可受不了
I mean, you can't seem to do enough to make up for it.
我是说,你好象做得不够多 来补偿这一切
- What's that supposed to mean? - You know. You could never stand her.
- 那是什么意思? - 你也知道,你怎么也没法忍受她
I don't believe this. My whole life, I've only wanted to be her.
我真不敢相信,我的整个一生 就是想要成为她
Yeah. Well, for a while there, you were her, weren't you?
是啊,那么暂时想想 你如果是她,你愿意吗?
- I don't know what you're talking about. - Oh, Joey, you know.
- 我不知道你在说什么 - 噢,乔依,你知道的
All those headaches every time she'd come home. You never wanted her home.
每次她来我家时我都很 头疼,真不想让她来
This is incredible. I mean, you twist everything I say. I give up.
真不可思议,你扭曲我说的话 我不说了
You OK?
你还好吗?
I just experienced the strangest sensation.
我刚有种很奇怪的感觉
Well, you look kinda pale.
你脸色有些苍白
It was as if I had a sudden...
好象我突然...
clear vision where everything seems...
清楚地看见一切都显得那么...
sort of awful and predatory.
可怕,而具有争斗性
It was like... It was like I was here
就像...像是我在这儿
and the world was out there, and I couldn't bring us together.
而世界在另外一个地方 我不能把两者联系起来
Could you have had one of those dreams?
你是不是做过这样的梦?
No.
没有
No, because the same thing happened last week when I was reading upstairs.
不是做梦,上周我在楼上看书时 也有同样的感觉
I suddenly became hyper aware of my body.
突然很在意我的身体
And I could feel my heart beating,
能感觉到心脏在跳
and I began to imagine that...
而我开始想象...
I could feel the blood sort of coursing through my veins
我感受得到血在动脉里流动
and my hands and in the back of my... neck.
在手掌中,还有...脖子后 流动着
I felt precarious, like I was a machine that was functioning
我觉得很不妥全,自己像是 一台运行中的机器
but I could just conk out at any second.
而我随时可能发生故障
You're not gonna conk out. You gotta put those kind of thoughts out of your head.
你不会发生故障,别再想那些东西了
Yeah. It frightens me, too, you know, because...
而且,我还很害怕...
I'm not that far from the age when Mother began showing signs of strain.
觉得自己离妈妈显现 神经衰弱的年龄不远了
You're not your mother. You're not. You're not.
你和你妈妈不同 不一样,不一样
You've been under stress and you haven't been sleeping well. Things like that.
你只是承受压力过大,而且没有睡好 只是这样而已
What are these? Are these Joey's photographs?
这是什么?乔依的照片?
- Oh, yeah. - Let me see.
- 哦,是的 - 让我看看
They're not very good, I'm afraid.
我觉得照得不太好
No. She doesn't really have an eye.
是啊,她眼光不怎么样
She's gonna wanna know what you think, so you'd better get ready.
她总想知道你在想什么 所以你最好想想怎么说
Poor Joey.
可怜的乔依
She has all the anguish and anxiety
总是容易感到痛苦和紧张
of the artistic personality without any of the talent.
有着艺术家的气质 却没有那方面的才华
And naturally, I'm put in the position of having to encourage her.
当然我只有鼓励她
Tell her the truth. Get it over with. Don't lead her on.
告诉她真相,让她知道,别再骗她
I don't lead her on. I mean, God, I can't break her heart.
我没骗她,我只是,不想伤她的心
And you know how competitive she is with me.
而且你也知道她多想跟我争
I always think it's better to level with a person.
我还是觉得跟别人说实话比较好
- Wish you'd done that with me more. - I did.
- 要是你多跟我说实话就好了 - 我说的是实话啊
No, you didn't. You flattered me, and I liked it.
没有,你没说,你 奉承我,而我喜欢那样
Frederick, you're good, and I've never hesitated to say it.
弗雷德里克,你很棒,我可以 毫不犹豫地这么说
There's something missing from my work.
我的工作中总是缺了点什么
I don't know. I don't know if I've lost it or I never had it, or what.
我不知道,不知道是我已经失去了 还是从来就没得到过
You're capable of being extraordinary and you've stopped for spite.
你能做得很优秀,你已经停止伤害了
No, not for spite!
不,根本没有伤害
I'll get back to it someday.
什么时候我还是得重新做这个工作
You throw everything away to spite me.
你说的话都像是在中伤我
Let's not talk about it. OK?
别说这个了,行吗?
Fine.
好吧
What are you gonna say to Joey?
你要怎么给乔依说?
She should marry Michael and stop her worrying about being so damn creative.
她应该和迈克尔结婚,别再 担心能不能创作之类的东西了
Sometimes she just annoys me.
有时她让我觉得很困扰
Jimmy's getting excited. It's an exciting thing to be a Christian,
吉米很兴奋,为成为一个基督徒兴奋
and I have a gentleman who's a friend of mine,
我有个朋友是个绅士
a fairly new friend, but our friendship goes way back to the cross of Calvary.
是个新朋友,不过从有那稣受难像 开始我们的友谊就存在了
Roy Schwartz, it's a delight to have you here today.
罗伊·施瓦兹,很高兴你今天来到这儿
Now, Roy, you are by birth what nationality?
现在告诉我们,你出生地是在哪儿?
- A Hebrew. - A Hebrew.
- 我是希伯来人 - 希伯来人
When I was talking about God's chosen people -
在谈到由上帝选择的人时...
you're probably aware, you've studied your history, you're involved in this -
你可能会很在意,你已经熟知 你们的历史,你正...
what part did the Jewish people and the nation of Israel
犹太人和以色列国家
have in God's timepiece today?
在今天上帝的钟表中是怎样的呢?
- You're late. - I'm sorry.
- 你迟到了 - 对不起
It's 45 minutes.
你迟到了45分钟
The traffic was unbearable. I'm sorry.
我真的很抱歉,可路上太堵了
- You should take that into account. - Could we drop this? My head is splitting.
- 你来之前就应该把这时间算上 - 我们能不谈这吗?我头疼得很
- What's the matter? - What do you think? I'm pregnant.
- 怎么了? - 你认为呢?我是怀孕了的人
- Thought you might be. - I'm goddamned annoyed!
- 也许吧 - 我真是快疯了
- We'll take care of it. - Naturally, we'll take care of it.
- 我们会很好解决的 - 当然了
Joey, I said we'll take care of it. It's nothing.
乔伊,我说过我们会解决的 这很简单
I'm so stupid! How can I be so careless?
我真太蠢了,我怎么会这么不小心呢?
All right, it happens. We could have the kid. It wouldn't be the end of the world.
好了,既然已经发生了,我们要生下这孩子 要个孩子不会世界末日的
- For me it would be. - I'm sorry you feel that way.
- 对我来说,这就是世界末日 - 我不知道你会这么想
Oh, Michael. I've thought about it.
迈克,我想过这个问题
It's absurd. How could we have a kid? I don't even know where my life is going.
这太可笑了我们怎么可以要这个孩子呢? 我连我自己以后的路怎么走都没弄明白
- Maybe it's not such a great idea. - You don't think so either?
- 也许是不尽如人愿 - 你也这么认为是吗?
I guess not.
我不这么认为
- Well, what happened to you? - Nothing. I'm sorry.
- 你怎么了? - 没什么,我很抱歉
- We found something for the bedroom. - This won't be too expensive, I hope.
- 我们想给卧室添点东西 - 希望不会很贵
- It's a little more... - We had this...
- 比我们计划的稍微贵了一点... - 我们已经有...
Can we not get into a financial dispute?
我们先别为了钱吵,好吗?
It's right over here. I think you'll like it.
就在那,我想你肯定会喜欢的
- Your father's back from Greece. - Is he?
- 你爸从希腊回来了 - 是吗?
You know he's back. You're having dinner with him tomorrow at Renata's.
你知道,明天你们都应该在 蕾娜达家跟他一起吃个晚饭
Renata told me. Were you not going to?
她告诉我了,你不打算去吗?
- Yes. I just know how you are on that. - Will you talk to him? He listens to you.
- 没错我才知道你是怎么想的 - 你跟他谈谈好吗?他听你的
He's a grown man. He makes his own decisions.
他是一个男人,他有自己的想法
But he puts great store by what you have to say.
可他听你的意见去经营他的店
If he wants to move back in with you, he will. If he doesn't, he won't.
如果他想搬去跟你一起住,他会的 如果他不想,说什么都没用
- Why are you so reluctant to help me? - Reluctant? I do nothing but cater to you.
- 你为什么老不帮我? - 什么?难道要我只迎合你吗?
It's as though you don't care if we're together.
我只是说为什么你 这么不在意我跟他是否在一起
Why wouldn't I want you to be happy? But you shouldn't delude yourself.
我干嘛让你不高兴啊? 只是你不应该自欺欺人
Will you tell him how well I've been doing? That my work is flourishing again?
你为什么就不能告诉他我的情况呢? 我的工作渐渐开始变好了?
- That my mood swings are less rapid? - He doesn't care.
- 我的精神也比以前好多了 - 他根本就不在乎
He just wants to know that I'm on an even keel, that's all.
他只是想知道我现在很平稳 仅此而已
- Leave me alone. - Joey...
- 让我静一静 - 乔伊...
- Just leave me out of this! - Where are you going?
- 我什么都不想管! - 你去哪?
Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have a child.
也许有个孩子也不是一件坏事
- Oh, please. - Sometimes just taking...
- 求你了! - 有些时候,我们应该...
- I can't. OK? - You mean you won't.
- 我做不到行吗? - 你只是不想
Why do you stay with me? I don't understand. I give you nothing but grief.
为什么还要和我在一起?我不明白 除了伤心,我什么都给不了你
You should take the job at the advertising agency, and we should maybe get settled.
你应该接受广告公司那工作 那样我们也许会稳定一点
Yeah, right! If I start writing copy and having kids, I'd never get out of it.
没错!如果我开始写东西,再生个孩子 我就真的再也跳不出这个坑了
I'd be swallowed up in some anonymous lifestyle.
我会被那些无名的生活吞噬
I wanna do something with my life.
我要改变我的生活
- Now I'm guilty cos I left my mother. - She'll be fine.
- 我有点后海了,就这么不理我妈 - 她会没事的
- Oh, a lot you care. - It's your mother that can't stand me.
- 你关心的还真多 - 她是你妈妈,不是别人
- Well... - I hope the cat isn't in the kitchen.
- 好吧 - 我希望那猫不在厨房里
Cory's gonna go upstairs and play for a while.
科莉要上楼玩一会儿
I'll see you later, all right? Bye-bye.
- 呆会儿见好吗? - 好的
I could get 'em out in a month.
我想在这个月里,我应该能处理好
Then you wouldn't have anything left to say. Right?
你没其他的要说了吧?
Dad.
爸爸!
He was so excited when I spoke to him.
当我跟他说话时,他相当激动
He saw that terrible movie that Flyn was in on the plane.
他看了一捉糟糕的电影 他看见芙琳竟然在飞机上
- Come in. - Good to see you.
- 请进 - 很高兴见到你
The traffic in this town is getting impossible.
这里的交通真的是越来越不象话了
Hi.
嗨!
Mike.
迈克
- Hi, Joey. - Hi, Daddy.
- 嗨,乔伊 - 好啊,爸爸
- Renata. - Hello, Dad.
蕾娜达
- Hi. This is Pearl. - Hello.
- 这位是珀尔 - 大家好
- Hi. - I'm Mike. This is Joey.
我是迈克,她是乔伊
- Glad to meet you. Hi. - Hello.
- 很高兴见到你们 - 你好
- Frederick. - Hi.
- 弗雷德里克 - 你好
Um, would you like anything to drink?
你要喝点什么吗?
Whatever Arthur's having's fine.
跟亚桑一样就好了
Why don't you sit there? It's the only comfortable place in the house.
你坐那吧 那是这里最舒服的地方
It's good to be back.
回家真好
I'm sure you must have enjoyed Athens.
雅典是不是让你很享受啊?
You can't beat Greece for sand and blue water.
希腊的碧海和沙滩真是无解可击
And the food! I could eat lamb six times a day. And that's with an ouzo.
还有那些吃的! 我一天要吃6次羊肉,配着那的酒喝
The only problem I had was nobody spoke English.
唯一苦恼的是没人懂英语
Everybody understood what was important.
但谁都知道你要什么
Did you get a chance to see any of the temples, architecture?
你看那的神庙和建筑了吗?
Oh, yes. It's so wonderful. You're steeped in history.
看了那些棒极了! 感觉像是走进了历史
We saw some great examples from the fifth century BC.
我们看了很多 公元前5世纪保存下来的东西
Remember that temple? Beautifully preserved.
还记得那座神庙吗? 它保存的特别完整
- Tell you the truth, I prefer the beaches. - She could sit in the sun all day.
- 说实话,我更喜欢那里的沙滩 - 她能整天呆在太阳底下
That's enough ruins. How many ruins can you see?
那里有很多的遗址 你说你能看多少?
But that hot sand, blue water - that's for me.
但是那里的热沙,碧蓝的海 却是为我准备的
Maybe we should continue this conversation in the other room.
我想我们最好换个房间接着聊
First time I went to Europe, with my first husband, years ago,
许久之前,我跟我的第一任丈夫去欧洲
all we saw was churches. One cathedral led to another.
我们看见的全是教堂,一座接着一座
They were beautiful but... you see two or three, then enough already. All the day...
都很漂亮,但是...其买看个两三个 就已经够了,当你一天...
- You knew he was bringing someone? - Yes. Didn't I mention it?
- 你知道他要带人来吗? - 是的,我没告诉你吗?
Give me a good sirloin anytime.
随时都给我牛肉吃
Charcoal. They talk about club steaks and porterhouse?
木炭,他们一直讨论俱乐部的牛排 还有小酒馆
Sirloin, charcoal and blood rare.
牛肉,木炭,还有带血的
Pearl's husband was something of a chef.
她那丈夫好像是个厨师
He was an amateur chef.
他是个业余厨师
He was in the jewellery business, my first husband, may he rest in peace.
他还做过珠宝生意,我的第一个丈夫 愿他安息
- Adam, my second, was an orthodontist. - How many have you had?
- 我的第二任丈夫,亚当,是个正牙医生 - 你有几个丈夫?
Two. Adam had a massive coronary. Rudy was an alcoholic.
两个,亚当得了大规模冠状动脉 鲁迪是个酒鬼
- More gravy? - No, no, no. It's too heavy.
- 还要肉汁吗? - 够了,够了,我已经吃多了
Ah, what are you worried about? It's delicious. Try it.
啊,你担心什么? 很好吃的,试试
- Where are you from, Pearl? - Florida.
- 你家在哪,珀尔? - 佛罗里达
Oh, we lived all over the place when I was younger, but I prefer a warm climate.
哦,从小开始我就住在这里 但我更喜欢温暖的地方
I even lived in Australia for a year.
我还在澳洲生活了一年
With my sister Fay, when Adam died.
亚当死了的时候,我和我妹妹一起
I went nuts. It's dead there.
那时我快疯了,那里没有生气
I was in Sydney, Australia, once.
我曾在悉尼呆过
Oh. Was I lying? Did you like it?
哦,我没骗你吧 你喜欢那里吗?
It was just a vacation. I was only there a couple of days.
那只是个假期,没几天
Lucky. It's like a morgue. Nothing to do at night, no pizzazz. I couldn't take that.
你很走运那就像个太平间 什么都做不了,也没那精力我一点都不喜欢
Here's a woman who could go dancing every night.
但是她能跳一个晚上的舞
You know what I say: You only live once, but once is enough if you play it right.
你知道我说什么尽管你只生活一段时间 但如果玩对了,一段时间也够了
- Do you have any children, Pearl? - Oh, yes. I have two sons.
- 你有孩子吗? - 我有两个儿子
Lewis and John.
莱维丝和约翰
Lewis is in real estate. John runs an art gallery.
莱维丝是做房地产的 约翰则经营一家画廊
Oh?
哦,是吗?
In the lobby in Caesars Palace in Las Vegas.
在拉斯维加斯,恺撒酒店的大厅
It's not exactly a gallery, it's more a concession.
确切的说,还不是一个画廊
- Paintings of clowns on black velvet? - That's right, junk.
- 在黑色板上画小丑? - 没错,很垃圾
Oh, it's pure junk, but people like it. They get a kick out of it. He does very nicely.
纯粹是垃圾,但人们喜欢那些 他们得把池给开除了,不过他做得相当不错
- Pearl collects African art. - Oh. Oh, I love black ebony.
- 珀尔收集非洲艺术品 - 嗯,我特别喜欢黑檀木
I own some statues. Actually, they're from Trinidad.
我有一些雕像 他们本都属于特立尼达岛
Oh, I love those real primitive statues with the big hips and the big breasts.
哦,我喜欢那些真实的 丰乳肥臀的原始雕塑
Oh, I even have some voodoo masks. I believe in that stuff.
哦,我甚至还喜欢一些带着巫术的面具 而且我相信那个
I could tell your fortune, but I need cards. Later, maybe.
我能预知你的未来,但是我需要牌 呆一会儿,也许就行了
This couple we met were raving about it,
我们遇到的那对夫妇为之倾倒
so I cabled from the office to get tickets. I'm glad I did. It was fabulous.
我回办公室去拿票,而且我很高兴 我回去拿了表演非常精彩
We thought it was interesting.
我们也觉得那非常有意思
But depressing as hell. It was pessimistic to the point of futility.
但是很让人失望,相当的悲观
Fashionable pessimism is all the rage nowadays.
现在社会都流行时髦的悲观
When they sentenced those Algerians to death, I thought it was a good ending.
当演到把那些阿尔及利亚人绞死的时候 我觉得差不多是个好结局了
You call that fashionable, but it's hard to argue
你称之为时髦,但是缺少说服性
that in the face of death, life loses real meaning.
在死神前,生也失去了意义
- It is? - Well, I can't argue it succinctly,
- 是吗? - 好吧,我不能简单的反驳
but if you've read Socrates or Buddha, Schopenhauer, even Ecclestiastes,
但是如果你曾看过苏格拉底的书或是佛经 叔本华,或是
they're very convincing.
他们的言语就很有说服性
Well, they should know. I don't read that much.
好吧,他们应该知道,我看的并不多
What struck me was the way the terrorists only killed if they had to.
打动我的是恐怖分子 只在必须的情况下才杀人
Never wantonly, just if they had to, to achieve their aims.
不要开玩笑如果仅仅是他们必须 也是为了达成他们的目标
I was very moved when that Algerian boy said he killed in the name of freedom.
当那阿尔及利亚男孩说他是 在自由的名义下杀人,我很感动的
- It gave me chills. - It's killing for an abstraction.
- 那让我打冷颤 - 他们杀戮仅仅是为了获得一个提要
Why? You value the life of a single person over the lives of thousands of others?
为什么?你认为一个个体的 生命价值能高于其他五千人的吗?
I don't know. I mean, who are those thousands? It's another abstraction.
我不知道,其他人是谁? 那又是另外一个提要
To me, the conflict over the giving of the information
对我来说,法国医生 和阿尔及利亚人之间关于信息的冲突
between the French doctor and the Algerian was the best part of the play.
是这部戏最精彩的部分
I know. The writer argued both sides so brilliantly you didn't know who was right.
我知道编剧两方面的论证都很精彩 以至你都不知道谁是对的
I didn't get that. I mean, to me, it wasn't such a big deal.
我没想到那个,对我来说 这不是什么大不了的
One guy was a squealer. I liked the guy that wasn't.
其中一个总是会大喊大叫 我喜欢那个那个安静的
It's a little more complex than that, don't you think?
你不认为这个比较复杂吗?
Why? You liked the squealer? Did I miss something?
为什么会这么觉得?难道你不喜欢他吗? 我错过什么了吗?
That's what made me anxious about the play. I mean,
这也是我看了这剧之后担心的原因了 我的意思是
how do you figure out the right thing to do?
你怎么才能找到对的事情去做?
How do you know?
你怎么知道的?
How do you know? I don't know. You just know, you feel it. I mean...
我怎么知道的?我不知道 我只知道,我这么觉得,我的意思是...
You just don't squeal. I don't know.
我说不出来,我也不知道
Anyway, it was a good evening in the theatre for a change.
不管怎样,去戏院改变一下生活 也很不错
I'd love another piece of cheesecake but...
我想再吃一块奶酪,但是...
Well, have it. What are you worried about?
来,给你 你担心什么?
You'll live to be 100 if you give up all the things that make you want to.
如果你放弃你想做的每件事 你活到100岁肯定没问题
Am I the only one or is it hot in here?
你们不觉得这里很热吗?
Can we open a window?
我能开窗吗?
OK. Ready?
行了,可以了吗?
- Uh-huh. - OK. Pick a card.
- 嗯! - 好的,抽一张
- Any one. - There you go.
- 随便哪张 - 好了
OK. Put it back. Any place, any place.
行,把它放回去 随便哪里
All right. OK. Watch.
行了,看着
- I'm ready. - All right.
- 我准备好了 - 嗯
Now we shuffle.
现在,我来洗牌
Now you... All right.
现在你...好了
- What? - No, nothing. Just go ahead.
- 什么? - 没什么,继续
- Is it that? - No.
- 是这个吗? - 不是
- That? - No.
- 那个? - 也不是
- That? - Wrong.
- 这个吗? - 错
- It's none of those three. - None of those.
- 那张也不是 - 一张都不是
OK. Not that one.
不是那张
- Not that one. - No.
- 也不是这张吗? - 不是
- That one. - Jesus, that's fantastic.
- 这张 - 天哪,太神奇了
- How did you do that? - Oh, what's the difference?
- 你怎么做的? - 哦,有什么不一样吗?
That is a miraculous card trick.
这只是玩牌的小把戏
And I was watching really closely. Where did you learn that?
但我一直都盯着看啊 你从哪学的?
I'm a gal that's been around. I've picked up a lot of useless information.
我喜欢到处跑 学了很多没有的东西
你能预知,还能玩牌 你是不是还能降神啊?You tell fortunes. You do card tricks. You do s閍nces, too?
Nuh-uh. Not me. I figure whatever's out there, it's their business.
呵呵,我做不来 除了那些,那是别人的活
Besides, you think I wanna bring back my ex-husband?
你认为我会把我的前夫找回来吗?
As soon as possible, Pearl and I are gonna get married.
我跟珀尔会尽快结婚的
Oh, God.
天哪
- That's gonna sink Mother. - She'll get over it.
- 会让我妈发疯的 - 她会没事的
- Easy for you to say. - It's not easy.
- 你说得容易 - 一点都不
- How long have you known her, Dad? - Now, a month.
- 爸,你认识她多久了? - 一个月
A month? Isn't that a little hasty?
一个月?是不是太快了?
- We've spent a lot of time together. - That's a lot of time?
- 我们在一起的时间很长 - 一个月长吗?
I expect you all at the wedding.
我希望你们都能来参加婚礼
Flyn, too. I insist that Flyn fly in and meet Pearl.
包括芙琳 我还是希望芙琳能来见见珀尔
- The whole thing does seem a bit fast. - It's gonna be fine.
- 所有的事发展的都太快了 - 放心吧,会好的
She's a nice woman. She's kind. She's affectionate.
她是个很不错的人 她善良,感情丰富
Christ, I'm 63 years old, I wanna relax.
克莱斯特,我已经63了 我想过轻松的生活
I'm happy just to lie on the beach with her.
能和她躺在沙滩上,我觉得非常幸福
I like it that she's full of energy and demonstrative and open.
我喜欢她的精力充沛 对人真诚,毫不掩饰
You just met her. She's a widow, and you're a wealthy man.
你才认识她,她是个寡妇 但你是个有钱男人
- So she's after my money? - She's not saying...
- 你认为她是为了我的钱? - 她是没说...
- Why? Is that so far-fetched? - I won't dignify that.
- 为什么?太牵强了吗? - 我不这么认为
Don't get upset. A man in your position has to be careful.
别生气,男人在你的位置 都应该小心一点
You don't know her yet. She's a fine woman, and I love her.
你们还不够了解她 她很好,而且我爱她
It's going to be the worst possible thing that could happen to Mother.
但是对妈妈来说,这是最坏的事了
I can't believe she imagines we'll get back together.
我不能相信她还认为我们能复合
She imagines it because everyone except me leads her on.
她这么想完全是因为所有人 都这样引导她,除了我
- I don't wanna hear that story. - It's true.
我不想听关于她的故事 那是真的
And all that talk about a trial separation? You were never coming back.
那么所有的事都只是考验吗? 你从来没回来过。
I wanted to let her down easily. She's such a fragile thing.
我希望她能静下来,她太脆弱了
She is not a thing. We all treat her like a hospital patient. She's a human being.
她是人!我们对她就像对病人一样 她是完完全全的人!
Your idea of treating her like a human being is to throw cold water on her hopes.
你想像对正常人一样对待她 无异于向她毫无希望
What hopes?
什么希望?
It was bound to happen. The most that we could do was postpone it a little bit.
那是一定会发生的 我们所能做的仅仅是把它推后
- You're all she lives for. - Don't give me that...
- 你是她活着的唯一希望 - 不要让我感到...
- Now you're abandoning her for this... - Joey, don't you go any further.
- 现在,你为了这个女人要抛弃她... - 乔伊,别拉太远了
Dad, don't get upset. Don't get all riled up.
爸爸,您别太在意 不要让所有人都难过
And don't think I don't notice you looking at her in a judgmental, superior way.
别以为我不知道你看她就像 法官一样高高在上
You're imagining things.
那是你自己想象的
We knew about your affairs before, but your choices were a little more discreet!
我们知道你在妈妈入院期间的行径 但是你的选择也应该谨慎一点
Joey, shut up! Dad, she's upset.
- 乔伊,闭嘴 - 爸爸,她太紧张了
Joey, you know how much your opinion means to me.
乔伊,你不知道你的看法对我来说有多重要
- She's a vulgarian. - Joey, be quiet!
- 她就是个俗人 - 乔伊,安静点
I don't wanna discuss this.
我不想说这个
I think you should do as you feel, with our blessing.
我看你还是按着自己的感觉走吧 带着我们的祝福
- Joey, I count on you. - I'm sorry. I can't help it.
- 乔伊,我在忍你 - 抱歉,我控制不了
Will you tell him it's OK? Obviously it's your approval he needs.
你告诉他一切都好,行吗? 很显然,他想要你的赞同
- He had no trouble getting yours. - It doesn't mean as much as yours.
- 因为他知道要你同意很容易 - 但是,你不一样
I want the support of all my daughters!
我希望我的女儿都能支持我
I'm not just here to make sacrifices and foot the bills.
我在这里不是仅仅来承担这里的开支
It's time you thought of me!
现在你们该替我想想了
I'm sorry to hurry lunch,
抱歉,让你吃个午饭急急忙忙的
but I wanted you to see this before the place gets cluttered up with people.
我只是向让你在这被人弄乱之前 看看这个地方
When you wrote from Greece you were telling me about
你从希望给我写信的时候,你告诉我
the mosaics in the Orthodox churches.
东正教堂的镶嵌艺术
But look at this, all these mosaics. There, behind the altar.
你看这里,所有的镶嵌的东西 那,圣坛后面
And in a Romanesque church. Isn't that amazing?
- 在罗马教堂里 - 是不是很棒?
And look at that. And here in New York. It's really incredible.
看那,这里可是纽约,太不可思议了
Quite surprising.
的确是
It makes me homesick for our trips.
这让我很怀念我们的旅行
All those churches, you must have seen a lot when you were there.
所有那些教堂,你在那肯定看了很多
- Yes. - Be so marvelous to forget everything
- 没错 - 能忘记所有事情,真是太棒了
and take a nice slow trip to the Far East.
做一次悠闲的远东之旅
It might get us back on the right track.
真希望能让我们回到那里
Eve, I said I had something I wanted to say to you.
伊芙,我有些事要告诉你
What?
什么事?
I think we should finalize our divorce.
我想是时候结束我们的婚姻了
You do?
你确定吗?
Yeah. Sooner or later we've got to face reality
对,我们早晚都得面对现实
and try to make new lives for ourselves.
而且我们应该有自己的新生活
It's very funny, because I thought that's what might be on your mind.
很有意思,因为我想这是你所想的
- It's not the end of the world. - It's not?
- 不会是世界末日的 - 不是吗?
I think it's goddamn terrible!
可是为什么对我来说这么恐怖?
Eve, everything's going to be just fine.
伊芙,任何事情都会变好的
Oh, I know that it's a little... soon perhaps to talk about a reconciliation,
- 我知道会有一点... - 很快可能又要讲和解了
but I don't see why we have to finalize our divorce.
但我不明白为什么要结束我们的婚姻
I don't see why we can't just go on the way we are.
我不明白为什么我们不能继续下去
- We should be free to make other plans. - Like what?
- 我们不应该身陷其中 - 该怎么做?
Well, in the event that we meet other people, become involved.
我们会遇见其他人,然后发生 一些其他的事
- You wanna remarry? Is that it? - I'm not discussing that.
- 你想跟其他女人结婚,对吗? - 我不想谈这个
- Have you met someone? - No.
- 你遇见那个人了吗? - 没有
Oh, you're lying. Of course you've met someone. Why don't you be honest?
你撒谎!你肯定遇上了 你为什么就不能对我诚实?
- Yes, I have. But if you're gonna make... - I don't wanna hear any more.
- 我的确遇上了,但是如果你想... - 我不想听!
I talked with your doctor.
我跟你的医生谈过了
- You talked to Dr. Lobel behind my back? - Not behind your back. Discreetly.
- 你们在背后谈论我? - 不是在你背后,我们都很小心
You've discussed this with Dr. Lobel behind my back. It's so humiliating.
你跟洛贝尔医生谈这个? 你真会羞辱我
Eve, it's your doctor and myself. Now, how private can one be?
伊芙,是我和你的医生 一个人能都私密?
And he assured you that I can handle it. Is that right? How humiliating!
而且他确信我能处理好,是吗?真可笑
You're not humiliated.
你一点都不可笑
Oh, I just wanna die.
我真想死了
Now stop that.
不要这样,好吗?
I just hate my life!
我恨我自己
Oh, I can't... I can't breathe!
哦,我...我快死了
Flyn!
芙琳!
Hi.
你好
Oh. Ahh. Oh, God, it's good to see you.
哦,看见你真好
- No, it's good to see you. - You look terrific.
- 很高兴看见你 - 你看起来很不错啊
You really do. That's a great sweater.
你也很好啊,穿得真漂亮
- Oh, no. - It really is.
- 哦,没什么 - 不,真的很漂亮
- You've seen this sweater before. - No, I haven't. It's terrific.
- 你见过的 - 没有,太漂亮了
Are you tanned, Renny? You been somewhere?
雷妮,你硒黑了吗? 在什么地方去了?
Why? Do I have on too much make-up?
怎么这么说?我抹的粉太多了吗?
- You're the one that looks great. - I don't. I'm heavy.
- 你看起来很漂亮 - 才不是呢,我重了
No. I've gained weight.
我的体重才增加了呢
My plane flight was so bumpy, I thought I was gonna die.
飞机上颠簸得很,我以为快要死了呢
I made such a fool of myself with the man next to me. Really did.
让旁边的人看到我出丑了,真的
- Have you met Pearl? - Yes. She's not what I expected.
- 你见过珀尔了吗? - 见过了,我不喜欢她
No. God. God, isn't it strange being back in the house again?
噢,天啊,又回到这里难道不奇怪吗?
- Yeah. - Have you spoken with Mother?
- 是啊 - 你和妈妈谈过话了吗?
Oh, yes. We're gonna have dinner one night this week.
噢,是啊,这周我们要选一天共进晚餐
- How's she holding up? - Better than we expected. Right, Joey?
- 她的精神怎么样? - 比预想得好多了,对吧,乔依?
She took it very badly at first.
刚开始她感觉很糟糕
But after the initial shock, she seemed to come out of it.
不过开始的震惊过后 她看起来好多了
Joey feels that all of her Jesus Christ nonsense is a help.
乔依觉得那些基督教的 废话对她有帮助
- Whatever works. - Hello, Flyn.
- 总有些效果 - 芙琳,你好
- Michael. Gosh, hi. - Nice to see you.
- 迈克尔,噢,嗨 - 很高兴看到你
It's good to see you, too. Joey, you have to tell me what you're up to.
我也很高兴,乔依 你得跟我说说你在忙什么
Yet another job. In an ad agency.
另一份工作,在一个广告代理处
- That's fabulous. - No. But it's temporary.
- 真不错呢 - 才不是呢,不过只是暂时在那
Here we are. I made some cocktail franks and meatballs.
都到了啊,我做了些鸡尾酒肠和肉九
About time. I'm starved.
来得正好,我俄了
We have everything your little heart desires.
我们能满足你的所有需求
Good.
不错
Are you and Dad staying here or are you gonna take a place in town?
你和爸爸会住在这里还是 在镇上找个地方?
Well, it's a little quiet out here, but Arthur loves it.
噢,这里有点太安静了,不过亚瑟喜欢
It means redoing so much of the house.
而且房子得作很多修整
In what way?
怎么整?
Oh, I don't know. There's just the two of us and it's kinda pale.
噢,还不知道呢,只有 我们俩在这儿,有点太白了
Besides, I have so much furniture and pictures, this place'd be like a warehouse.
而且,我有很多家具和画 这地方会像个仓库
Would you like to hear some music?
想听点音乐吗?
Do I look older?
我看起来又老了吗?
Older?
又老了?
Yeah, I mean it. Do you think I look older?
是啊,你觉得我看起来又老了吗?
No. Why would you think that?
没有啊,你怎么那么想?
I don't know. I don't know, I...
我不知道,我不知道,我...
I look in the mirror and I feel discouraged. Now I see you and you don't change at all.
我从镜子里看自己觉得很沮丧 现在看到你一点没变
No, you don't change. Your skin, it's like cream. Look at your skin.
你也没改变,你的皮肤还是 像奶油一样光滑,看看你的皮肤
I work at it.
我经常保养着
No, I don't think that's it.
不是,是天生的
I have a few good years, then my youth will be frozen on celluloid for TV movies.
还有几年好日子过,然后青春 就会被冻结在电影胶片里
Come on, Flyn. You're more than just beautiful. You know you have talent.
别这样,芙琳,你还是那么漂亮 你知道自己的才华
- Don't pump me up. - Why do you say that?
- 别给我打气了 - 怎么这么说?
I know what I am. Look, I'm not treated seriously.
我知道自己什么样 没人认真考虑我的才华
When really classy projects come along I get passed over.
一有真正优秀的电影 他们就不会考虑我
If it wasn't for the stupid television industry...
如果不是为了可笑的电视产业...
You have always been so self-deprecating. You know that.
你总是这么谦虚,知道吗?
No.
不是的
No, you're the gifted one in this family, Renny. I'm proud of you.
不是的,你是这个家里很有天分的一员 雷妮,我以你为傲
I wish you lived here, I really do. Every time I see you, I...
真希望你住在这里,真的 每次我看见你...
It just reminds me how much I do miss you.
我才知道我有多么想念你
How's Frederick?
弗雷德里克还好吗?
He's angry. He's teaching when he really wants to be writing.
他很生气,当他想真正写作 的时候却在教书
Teaching can't be taught anyway. He's taking his rage out in these critical pieces
不需要学习怎样教书,他在 这些关键部分里平息怒气
under the guise of high standards.
以高标准为幌子
I don't know. I guess I...
我不知道,我想我...
- I don't think I've been very good for him. - Oh, Renny, he idolizes you.
- 我觉得我对他不够好 - 噢,雷妮,他崇拜你
- We ought to get back. - No, I think I'm gonna stay a while longer.
- 我们该回去了 - 不,我想再呆一会儿
OK. I'll see you back there.
好吧,等会见
Hi.
You know I want you to be happy. I want you both to be happy.
你知道我希望你快乐 希望你们俩都快乐
Tell her.
跟她说
Tell Pearl.
告诉珀尔
I know she puts on a gay facade, but... she knows how you feel.
她看起来很快乐,但... 她知道你的感觉
Tell her.
跟她说说
Will you?
好吗?
OK.
好吧
You look deep in thought.
你像是在沉思
I'm deep in vodka.
我沉在伏特加里
Would you help me get my boots off?
能帮我脱下靴子吗?
That's the best offer I had all year.
那是今年最好的提议了
I paid 200 bucks for these boots and they kill my feet.
我花了两百元买靴子,它们穿着真难受
I did a terrible thing last week.
上周我做了件糟糕的事
I wrote about this friend's book. Not a very good book.
我写了关于这个朋友的书的评论 不是一本好书
I pointed that out. Which is what I was getting paid to do.
我在评论里提出来了 别人付我工资让我做
But I was extremely cruel about it.
但是我写得特别无情
And I took great pleasure in my cruelty.
而我很享受我的无情
My anger scares me.
我害怕自己的愤怒
I don't like what I'm becoming.
我不喜欢自己将要成为的样子
I happen to think you're a very impressive person.
我正好觉得你是个很有魅力的人
Oh. I think you have very impressive feet.
噢,我觉得你有双有魅力的脚
And I happen to think you're very drunk.
我刚好觉得你喝醉了
Come on, not yet.
噢,别那么说,我没有醉
Yes. Thank you.
你醉了,谢谢
We are gathered together here in the presence of this company
今天我们聚在这里见证
to join this man and this woman in the bonds of matrimony.
这个男人和这个女人结合在一起
Arthur, will you have this woman as your wedded wife,
亚桑,你愿意这个女人 成为你的妻子吗?
to live together in the ordinances and estate of matrimony?
与她结为夫妻
Will you love her, comfort her,
爱她,照顾她
honor and keep her in sickness and in health,
无论生老病死都草重她,爱护她
and, forsaking all others, keep you only unto her so long as you both do live?
一生不离不弃,一心一意吗?
I will.
我愿意
Pearl, will you have this man as your wedded husband,
珀尔,你愿意这个男人成为你的丈夫
to live together in the ordinances and estate of matrimony?
与他结为夫妻吗?
Will you love him, comfort him,
爱他,照顾他
honor and keep him in sickness and in health,
无论生老病死都草重她,爱护她
and, forsaking all others, keep you only unto him so long as you both do live?
一生不离不弃,一心一意吗?
I will.
我愿意
In as much as Arthur and Pearl have consented together in wedlock,
亚桑与珀尔都同意结为夫妇
and have witnessed the same before this company,
在大家的见证下
and thereto have pledged each to the other,
互相许了盟誓
and have declared the same by joining of hands,
作了相同的宣言的情况下
I, in accordance with the authority invested in me
我,根据授权于我的
by the law of the State of New York,
在纽约州法的监督下
do announce that they are husband and wife.
在此宣布他们成为夫妻
You may kiss the bride.
你可以亲吻新娘了
Well, Arthur, friends...
好了,亚桑,我的朋友...
Congratulations.
恭喜你
由汤米·多西作的"别再淘气"
Jesus. I don't think I've ever seen him dance before in his life.
天啊,我以前可没看他跳过舞
Ow.
OK. Don't forget.
好的,可别忘了
- Let me get you some champagne. - That would be perfect.
- 我给你拿些香槟 - 好的
Come on, baby.
亲爱的,来吧
Oh, my!
哦,天啊
由世界最优秀的爵士乐队作的 "狠的蓝调"
Jesus Christ, be careful!
上帝啊,小心些!
- You've had too much to drink. - Just cos I don't act like an animal!
- 你喝得太多了 - 我可没像动物一样得表演
- That's enough! - Oh, please! Just leave me alone!
- 够了! - 噢,求你,让我一个人呆会儿
What?
怎么了?
Oh, Frederick, you're drunk.
噢,弗雷德里克,你醉了
C'mon. You're always flirting with me.
别这样,你总是喜欢与我调情
No.
不是
Yes. You flirt. You like to be looked at.
是的,你在卖弄风情,你喜欢被盯着看
Otherwise you don't exist, except in somebody else's eyes.
你只能存活于别人的眼里
Stop it, Frederick. You're drunk.
弗雷德里克,别这样,你醉了
No, I'm celebrating. You got a new mother. She's a hot number.
不,我是在庆祝,你有了个新妈妈 她是个奔放的女人
Can't you feel the heat?
你感觉不到我的心跳吗?
No.
感觉不到
It's been such a long time since I made love to a woman I didn't feel inferior to.
有多长时间没有和一个 我不觉得卑下的女人做爱了
Or am I being tactless?
还是我不够熟练?
Mother?
妈?
Is that you?
是你吗?
You shouldn't be here.
你不该在这儿
Not tonight.
至少不是今晚
I'll take you home.
我要带你回家
You look so strange and tired.
看起来你很奇怪,很疲倦
I feel like we're in a dream together.
我觉得我们都在梦中
Please don't look so sad.
别看上去那么悲伤
It makes me feel so guilty.
那会让我觉得很内疚
I'm so consumed with guilt.
我要被内疚感淹没了
It's ironic...
真讽刺...
because, uh... I've cared for you so...
呃...我尽心照顾你...
And you have nothing but disdain for me, and yet I feel guilty.
而你却瞧不起我,就算如此 我还是感到内疚
I think you're... really too perfect
我觉得你...真的很完美
to live in this world.
在这个世界上
I mean, all the... beautifully furnished rooms,
我是说,那些...装饰美丽的房间
carefully-designed interiors, everything's so controlled.
精心设计的内部,一切都被妥排好了
There wasn't any room for any real feelings.
没有一些真正的感情
None.
一点没有
Between any of us.
在我们之间
Except Renata,
除了蕾娜达
who never gave you the time of day.
她没跟你待在一起
You worship Renata.
而你崇拜她
You worship talent.
你崇拜才华
Well, what happens to those of us who can't create?
好吧,那些我们中不能创造的人会发生什么
What do we do? What do I do, when I'm overwhelmed with feelings about life?
而我们该怎么办呢?我该做些什么 当我被生活中的感情淹没的时候?
How do I get them out?
我该怎么摆脱呢?
I feel such rage toward you!
我讨厌你!
Oh, Mother.
噢,妈妈
Don't you see?
你还不明白吗?
You're... not just a sick woman.
你...不光是个病人
That would be too easy.
那太简单了
The truth is...
其实...
there's been perverseness
你太刚愎自用
and willfulness of attitude
任性无常
in many of the things you've done.
在做很多事情的时候
At the centre of a sick psyche there is a sick spirit.
在你不健康的心中,有一个病态的灵魂
But I love you.
不过我还是爱你
And we have no other choice but to forgive each other.
我们别无选择,只有宽怒彼此
- Are you talking to someone? - Yes, uh...
- 你在和谁说话吗? - 是的,呃...
I thought I heard voices.
我想我听见有人说话
- Mother? - Yes?
- 妈妈? - 怎么了?
What?
什么怎么了?
You said "mother" and I said "yes".
你喊"妈妈"我回答了
Mother?
妈妈?
Mother!
妈妈!
Mother!
妈妈!
After the funeral service, we all returned to the beach house.
葬礼过后,我们都回到了海滨别墅
I couldn't help experiencing some very nostalgic memories.
我不自禁地会怀念起
Naturally, of my mother...
毫无疑问,我的妈妈...
and, pleasantly, of the few warmer moments we'd known.
还有,一些我们都分享过的温暖的时刻
I recalled how beautiful she was, dressing to go out for the evening with my father.
我想起她很漂亮,精心打扮后 晚上和爸爸一起出去
And of how Renata looked up to her, and her ideas about art.
还有蕾娜达如何像她看齐 以及她的关于艺术的想法
And how Flyn was so impressed as a tiny girl
还有芙琳小时候多么兴奋
when Mother decorated a Christmas tree.
当看见妈妈装饰一棵圣诞树的时候
I felt compelled to write these thoughts down.
我觉得必须得把这些想法都记下来
They seemed very powerful to me.
它们压得我喘不过气
Water's so calm.
水面很平静
Yes.
是的
It's very peaceful.
很妥静