I remember before I was born...
我记得在我出生前...
...wadded up like a fur ball in the highly overrated foetal position.
...在高胎位像个毛球一样蜷缩着
Luckily, I'm not claustrophobic...
幸运的是,我没有幽闭恐惧症...
...but on rainy days, I still feel a tightness in my left shoulder.
...但在雨天,我的左肩还是觉得发紧
Now that my stepmother's pregnant...
如今,我的继母怀孕了...
...I understand what the baby's going through...
......我明白 宝宝的经历...
...and I'm not jealous at all.
...当然我一点都不嫉妒。
Really, not at all.
真的,一点都没有。
- You're not eating your meatloaf. - If I eat it, I'll throw up.
- 你没有吃肉饼。 - 如果我吃了,就会吐。
- You should at least try a little bit. - Then I'll throw up a little bit.
- 你至少应该尝一下。 - 然后我可以少扔掉一点。
Are you sure you wanna get involved in this?
你确定你想牵扯进来吗?
Try to scrunch these chairs together more.
尽量把这些椅子排的紧凑些。
Dad, I'm trying to. They're chairs. They don't scrunch.
爸爸,我也想这样。他们是椅子,没法收缩什么的。
We'll just set up more chairs in the library...
我们会在图书馆里放更多的椅子...
...and pipe the sermon in like once before.
...就像以前传教那样。
Fix that speaker. It makes the minister sound like an astronaut.
修一下扬声器。它让部长说话听起来像一个宇航员。
- Hello, Judy - Hi, Arthur.
- 嗨,朱迪 - 嗨,亚瑟。
- Hi, Judy. Come on in. - Hi, Mr. Sultenfuss.
- 嗨,朱迪。进来看看吧。 - 嗨,苏尔顿法斯先生。
It's just a corpse.
这只是具尸体。
You should see a body that's been dead for a couple of days...
你应该看看一个已经死了一两天的尸体...
...and they haven't found it yet...
他们还没有被发现
...'cause it was in an apartment, and no one came to visit.
因为在一个公寓里,没有人拜访。
Or floating in a river.
或漂在河上。
And then the body starts turning this weird shade of green.
然后身体开始转变成这奇怪的绿色。
You know, like watery pea soup?
你知道,像多汁的豌豆汤?
The arms and legs deteriorate first.
胳膊和腿最先开始腐烂恶化。
The body looks like a raisin with four fat legs.
身体看起来像有四条臃肿四肢的葡萄干。
This is why I'm seriously considering cremation.
这就是为什么我非常严肃地考虑过火化。
I think you lost on the raisin with the four fat legs, honey.
我认为你失去了有四条臃肿四肢的葡萄干,孩子。
Did you hear that, Dean? You can stay.
你听到了吗,院长?你可以留下来。
- Dean? - Yeah.
- 迪恩? - 是啊。
Dean Martin. Look at his eyes.
迪安·马丁。看他的眼睛。
- They're pink. - Exactly. Dean Martin.
- 粉红色的。 - 没错。迪安·马丁。
- The cage is all set. - Where's the bathroom?
- 捕鼠笼都放好了。 - 厕所在哪里?
Are you kidding? Hamsters don't go to the bathroom.
你在开玩笑吗? 仓鼠不会去洗手间的。
Did you look in the bag?
你收入囊中吗?
I got a card from your Uncle Phil in Los Angeles today.
今天我收到了你叔叔菲尔从洛杉矶给我寄来一张明信片。
Said he went body surfing.
说他去徒手冲浪
I don't know if I can picture Uncle Phil body surfing.
我不知道我能否想象菲尔叔冲浪的样子。
I don't know if I want to.
我也不知道。
Vada, I wanna ask you a favour. You can absolutely say no if you want to.
维达,拜托你件事。 只要你想,你完全可以说“不”。
I'm just bringing it up for discussion.
我只是把它拿出来讨论。
But Harry, I thought we decided we weren't gonna do this.
但是,哈利,我想,我们说好不会那么做的。
The thing is, your room's right next to ours, and so, we thought...
问题是,你的房间的在我们旁边,所以,我们认为...
...I thought, we might move you to Gramoo's room...
我想,我们可能把你搬到格拉姆的房间...
...and we use your old room for the nursery.
,我们可以用你的旧房间作为婴儿房。
We're gonna be up half the night with the newborn...
我们半个晚上都要和新生儿在一起...
You want me to move?
你要我搬走吗?
Well, not far. Just down the hall.
好了,也不远。就在大厅啊。
Plus, Gramoo's room is a lot bigger.
另外,格拉姆的房间大多了。
And you get a view of the neighbourhood.
当然你也能看见你的邻居。
Okay. No problem.
好吧。没问题。
Okay, thanks. Attagirl.
好,谢谢。好女孩。
I'm sorry to interrupt, honey, but Vada's upset.
亲爱的,对不起打断一下,但维达非常沮丧。
She's fine. She'll love her new room.
她没事的。她一定会喜欢她的新房间。
Look, we react to every kick this baby gives.
看,婴儿每次踢一下我们都非常关注。
Maybe Vada's trying to tell us something, too.
也许维达也试着告诉我们一些事情。
The thing to remember is you must visualise a spare.
要记住的是你必须能想象到空挡。
The parabola of the arcing ball must intersect with the pyramid of the pins...
抛物线的弧形球必须和锥形的顶部相交...
...at precisely this angle of attack.
......正是这种攻角。
"Visualise" a spare?
“幻想”一个空位吗?
Well, you know what I mean.
你知道我的意思。
So, what's on your mind?
那么,你怎么想?
Me? What makes you think there's something on my mind?
我呢?是什么让你觉得我在想事情?
You're passing up Archie Bunker to go bowling.
你没看电视剧《全家福》,却来打保龄球。(Archie Bunker是《All in the Family》人物)
You've gotta have an angle.
你肯定有心事。
...thought it'd be nice if the two of us had an evening out so we could talk.
我只是觉得,如果我们两个有一个晚上时间可以谈谈。
- Shelly's already told me all about sex. - She told me, too.
- 雪莉已经告诉我所有关于性的事情。 - 她也告诉我了。
I mean, she told me she told you about sex.
我是说,她告诉我 她告诉了你性方面的事情。
I personally knew about sex long before I met Shelly.
我知道关于性的事情,就在我遇见雪莉没过多久的时候。
Strike. Not bad at all.
全中。真不赖。
No, this talk isn't about sex.
不,这次讲的不是性。
There've been a lot of changes, and you're upset about losing your room...
最近发生了些大变化,你担心失去房间而沮丧...
...but the baby's gotta go somewhere.
但宝宝需要有地方待啊。
No, it's okay. I understand. Really.
不,没问题。我理解。真的。
Honey, that's very mature.
亲爱的,真是非常成熟的回答。
I'm proud of you, Vada.
我为你感到骄傲,维达。
Maybe I should move to China.
也许我应该搬到到中国住。
One kid per family. That way you don't lose your room.
每个家庭一个孩子。这样,你就不会失去自己的房间了。
Just keep your room, and we'll put the baby in the backyard.
要保住你的房间,我们会把婴儿在后院的。
Don't do that. We've got the whole garage.
别这样。我们已经有了个车库。
Right between the power mower and the weedkiller.
就放在动力割草机和除草剂当中。
Dad, I'm kidding.
爸爸,我在开玩笑。
You can have the room.
你可以用我的房间。
- Seriously? - Seriously.
- 真的吗? - 对。
Maybe it's about time I got my own apartment.
也许是时候我该有自己的公寓了。
- My mother can't have any more kids. - Neither can mine.
- 我的妈妈不能再要更多的孩子了。 - 我妈妈也是。
It's Shelly who's pregnant.
雪莉怀孕了。
I'm leaning towards "Passion Flower."
我倾向于“西番莲”。
"It combines the traditional floral scent with the musky aroma of sandalwood."
“它结合了传统的花香与麝香,檀香的香味。“
- What are you staring at? - It's Kevin.
- 你在看什么? - 这是凯文。
I don't want him to see me.
我不想让他看到我。
- See you? He can smell you from there. - Oh, God, he's coming over here.
- 看到你吗?他在那里可以闻到你。 - 哦,天呐,他过来了
Act natural, totally natural.
自然点,就像往常一样。
- Hi, Kevin. - Hi.
- 嗨,凯文。 - 嗨。
You look cool, Sultenfuss. You look like a grasshopper.
你看起来很酷,苏尔顿法斯。 你看起来像只蚱蜢。
- What's the matter? - He likes you.
- 发生什么事了吗? - 他喜欢你。
Likes me? He said I look like a grasshopper.
喜欢我吗? 他说,我看起来像只蚱蜢。
Boys always pretend they hate you when they like you.
男孩总是假装他们恨你,尤其是当他们喜欢你时。
So, if you really can't stand someone...
所以,如果你真的不能忍受有人...
...then you pretend that you're really crazy about them?
...然后你假装你真很喜欢他们吗?
And I don't care. Kevin's a jerk, and I don't like him anymore.
我不在乎。凯文是个混蛋,我不喜欢他了。
If "grasshopper" is a term of endearment, I've got a lot to learn.
如果“蚂蚱”是一个爱称,看来我有很多东西要学。
So, have you guys thought of any new names for the baby?
所以,你们为自己的宝宝想好名字了?
Yeah. If it's a girl, I'm kind of leaning toward Esme.
是啊。如果是个女孩,我倾向于埃斯梅。
Yeah, that kinda sounds like a noise your nose makes.
是啊,这听起来还挺像你鼻子里的噪音。
"Esme." I mean it's...
“埃斯梅。”我意思是...
- And what if it's a boy? - Well, Harry Jr., of course.
- 如果这是一个男孩呢? - 嗯,当然,小哈利。
When a boy likes you, does he pretend that he doesn't like you?
当一个男孩喜欢你,他会假装他不喜欢吗?
If he pretends not to like you, how do you tell he likes you?
如果他假装不喜欢你,你怎么知道他喜欢你呢?
What boy likes you?
什么样的男孩喜欢你?
It's just a question. It's not about anybody.
这只是一个问题。这不是针对任何人。
Here comes puberty.
青春期来了。
Vada, I think what you're talking about is the fear of rejection.
维达,我觉得你在说的是害怕被拒绝。
See, men will do anything to avoid looking foolish.
你看,男人会避免显得愚蠢的事。
Shell, that's ridiculous. Where are my needlenose pliers?
小雪,胡说。我的尖嘴钳在哪里?
If a boy wants to do homework with you...
如果一个男孩想和你做功课...
...it means he hasn't the nerve to ask you on a date.
这意味着他还没胆量去约你。
You get your homework together, and the next thing you know...
你们一起做功课,接下来的事情你懂得...
...you're ordering pizza and talking about your favourite movie stars.
你们订购比萨,谈论最喜欢的电影明星。
So, you're saying...
所以,你说...
What are you saying?
你在说什么?
Guys don't wanna appear overanxious.
男孩们们不想表现得急于求成。
If there's a boy that might like you, let him know that you like him...
如果有男孩可能喜欢你,让他知道你喜欢他...
...so he won't feel he's taking such a risk when he's thinking of asking you out.
......所以他当他想约你,就不会觉得会有风险 。
Wanna help me pick out wallpaper for my new room tomorrow?
想帮我为明天的新房挑选壁纸吗?
- I don't know, I mean... - Is it okay if I drink this?
- 我不知道,我的意思是... - 如果可以,我能喝这个吗?
It's okay with me. Hi, Kevin.
没关系。嗨,凯文。
Well, if it isn't Vada, the grasshopper girl.
那么,如果这不是维达,那就是蚂蚱女孩。
I was kidding. It's a joke, okay?
我是在开玩笑。这是一个笑话,好吗?
We were just doing our homework.
我们只是在做我们的功课。
Next thing you know, you'll be ordering pizza...
接下来的事情你知道,会订购比萨饼...
...and talking about your favourite movie stars.
...谈论最喜欢的电影明星。
In the future, I think I'll stick to asking Dad for advice on embalming.
接下来,我想我会坚持问爸爸关于防腐的意见。
I read an article that says...
我看过一篇文章说...
...if you sing to the baby it's a calming influence.
......如果你唱歌给宝宝会有镇静的作用。
Assuming the baby's a Supremes fan.
确保宝宝是个高端的乐迷。
- I bet your mum sang to you. - If there was an article about it, she did.
- 我敢打赌你妈妈也给你唱。 - 如果有个关于这个的文章,她会做的。
- She was always reading. - I know. It runs in the family. New book?
- 她一直在读书。 - 我知道。对家庭好。新的书吗?
The Collected Works of Alfred Beidermeyer.
阿尔弗雷德彼得梅耶尔文集。
Her favourite poet.
她最喜欢的诗人。
Never heard of him.
从来没有听说过。
- How about a nice glass of milk? - With taco chips so I can dunk.
- 要杯美味的牛奶吗? - 加点塔克玉米片,这样我就可以蘸着吃了。
...being an older sister, you're gonna be very important in this baby's life.
作为一个姐姐,你会在宝宝的生活中扮演非常重要的角色。
They're enormous, I know.
我知道这里变得很大。
Is there milk in them already?
里面已经有母乳了吗?
No, the milk comes when the baby comes.
不,有了小宝宝后才有。
I was a very late developer. They used to call me "Shelly-Two-Backs."
我是很晚才发育的。别人习惯叫我“第二春雪莉”。
All my friends had real bras, not like the training ones I had.
我所有的朋友有真正的文胸,不像我这样只有运动文胸。
Why do they call them training bras? It's not like learning to ride a bike.
为什么他们称之为训练文胸? 这又不是学骑自行车。
It's just sort of preparing you for the rest of your life.
这只是为你接下来的人生做好准备。
It's not easy being a woman.
作为一个女人,是很不容易的。
You're telling me.
你已经告诉我。
All the great writers ponder the meaning of life and death.
所有伟大的作家都思考生命和死亡的意义。
I've been thinking a lot about my mother recently...
最近我一直在思考了很多关于我的母亲的事情...
... even though I don't have any memories of her.
...即使我没有关于她的任何记忆。
I wish I could see her just once, even if it were only in a dream.
我希望我能见她一次,即使只有在梦中。
I know she'd help me figure things out.
我知道她会帮我搞清楚这些事情的。
"Bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray
“现在,用您的热泪保佑我,我祈祷
"Do not go gentle into that good night
“不要温和地走入那良夜
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light"
“所以,他们怒斥,怒斥光的消逝”
What do you think Dylan Thomas is saying here?
(Dylan Thomas英国诗人《不要温和地走入那良夜》)你看得出狄兰·托马斯(Dylan Thomas)在这里说什么吗?
"Rage against the dying of the light"
“怒斥光明的消逝”
He's mad 'cause they shut off his electricity?
因为他们切断他的电,所以他发火了?
He was referring to life energy, Mr. Phillips...
他指的是生命的能量,菲利普斯先生...
...which, in your case, wouldn't cause much of a power shortage.
找你的说法,应该不会造成太大的电力短缺。
The poem is really about attitude.
这首诗是有真正态度的。
It's about not giving up.
这是关于永不放弃的。
It's easy to be overwhelmed sometimes, but...
我们常常会有累垮的时候,但是...
...that's when we should force ourselves to push on.
正是我们应该强迫自己前进的时候。
Alfred Beidermeyer said:
阿尔弗雷德彼得梅耶尔说:
"To heed the urgent inner voice...
“听从内心急切的声音...
"...embracing destiny, not choice."
“拥抱命运,没有选择的余地。”
That's very good, Vada.
很不错,维达。
All right, moving on.
好吧,继续。
I want to give you guys a chance to write.
我想给你们个机会去写一些什么。
I want you to write about someone very special.
我希望你能写个很特别的人。
Someone interesting. Someone you admire.
有趣的人。你佩服的人。
Someone who's achieved something worth writing about.
那些值得一写的人。
But it's gotta be a stranger. Someone you've never met.
但它必须是一个陌生人。一个你从来没有见过的人。
I want you to investigate the personal side.
我想要你们去调查人性的一面。
Play Play Perry Mason, see what you can come up with. All right?
《Perry Mason》美国1957年著名刑侦局,这里指调查当回佩里·梅森,看看有什么可以拿出手的。好吗?
Remember two things: Someone who has achieved something...
请记住两件事情:有人已经有值得一些的...
...and someone you've never met.
那个你从来没有见过的人。
- Kevin? - Elvis, the King.
- 凯文? - 猫王,王者。
- Devin? - Farrah Fawcett.
- 戴文? - 法拉福塞特。(美国70年代当红女演员)
I love to watch that girl run.
我喜欢看那个女孩跑步的样子。
Why is that, Mr. Reed?
这是为什么呢,里德先生?
Vada, what about you? Who have you come up with?
维达,你呢?你想到了谁?
I never met my mother.
我从来没有见过我的母亲。
I know my mum's favourite colour was pink and she ate peanut butter...
我知道我妈妈最喜欢的颜色是粉红色,她吃花生酱...
...and banana sandwiches for breakfast, but that's not what I would call "hard facts."
和香蕉三明治当早餐,但这不是我所说“考证过的事实”。
- I told you about the pumpkin, didn't I? - No.
- 我告诉过你南瓜的是吗? - 没
I bought her this huge pumpkin for Halloween.
万圣节我给她买了的这个巨大的南瓜。
She couldn't bear to carve it so she saved it.
她不忍心在上面雕刻所以把南瓜藏起来了。
It ended up under the Christmas tree.
直到圣诞节。
Then Gramoo said on Christmas Eve there was this sickening smell...
然后格拉默说,在平安夜闻到了令人作呕的气味......
...permeating the entire house. - No.
......渗透到整个房子里。 - 不是吧
When I picked it up, it sort of exploded and liquefied at the same time.
当我把它捡起来,它的爆炸了,液体在同一时间喷出来。
It wasn't funny. It soaked through Gramoo's Oriental.
这不好笑。 它浸透了格拉默东面的地板。
There's still a big spot on the floor.
现在地板上仍然有一个大的斑点。
Okay. We need wallpaper paste. Hey, Cece.
好吧。我们需要些墙纸。 嘿,希斯。
Isn't there anything else you remember?
你还记得其他什么的吗?
How did you propose? Was it romantic?
你觉得怎么样?有浪漫气息吗?
I kinda just blurted it out over a root beer float.
我只是脱口而出,就像根汁汽水一样。)
Root beer float, that sounds good.
根汁汽水,听起来不错。
Did she mention any contest that she won? I mean, she must have had some awards.
她说,她赢得什么比赛吗? 我的意思是,她一定得过一些奖。
She was so talented and all.
她是多么有才华。
Honey, I wish I could help you a little more.
亲爱的,我也希望能多帮你一点。
It's just that your mother and I had kind of a whirlwind courtship.
只是我和你妈闪电般的恋爱。
She came to town with a travelling theatre group.
她和一个旅行的剧组来到小镇。
I proposed on our second date, two weeks later we were married.
我们第二次约会时订婚了,两个星期后,我们结婚了。
Almost nine months later, you were here and she was gone.
近9个月后,你来到世上,但她走了。
- Was it a nice funeral? - Yes. Lovely funeral.
- 办了个很好的葬礼吗? - 是的。可爱的葬礼。
Grenaldi Brothers did a beautiful job.
Grenaldi兄弟做把事情办得很漂亮。
Lots of pink roses, and I used the white hearse.
许多粉红色的玫瑰,用的白色的灵车。
How about this flowered wallpaper for your room?
这个鲜花壁纸怎么样?
- Hi, Mr. Owett. - Hey, Veda.
- 嗨,先生Owett。 - 嘿,维达。
- How's your report coming? - Great.
- 文章怎么样了? - 很好。
I have so much to say, I hardly know where to start.
我有什么好说的,我都不知道从哪里开始。
I've been rereading Virginia Woolf. I think she'd be a natural for you.
我一直在重读弗吉尼亚·伍尔夫。我想她对你来说不错。
She led a fascinating life.
她引领这一种迷人的生活。
Thanks, but I think I'm gonna stick to my mum.
谢谢,但我认为我会坚持写我的妈妈。
She led a fascinating life, too.
她也引领这一种迷人的生活。
He was giving you an easy out so you didn't have to write about your mother.
他给你一个简单的了建议,所以你不会写你的母亲了。
But I want to write about her.
但我还是想写她。
You're crazy. What was her big achievement?
你疯了。她有什么大成就呢?
- Did she invent gravity? - No one invented gravity.
- 她发明重力吗? - 重力不是人发明的。
Then what did she do?
然后,她又做了什么呢?
Well, I'm not supposed to talk about it...
好了,我不应该谈论这事...
...but since I'm going to write about it, I might as well tell you.
但因为我要去写这事,我也可以告诉你。
She was a spy against the Russians.
她是一个对抗俄罗斯的间谍。
Please. Who do you think you're kidding?
你觉得自己是在跟谁开玩笑吗?
And where did she spy on the Russians from?
她在哪里监视俄国人的呢?
Here in Pennsylvania?
在这里,在宾夕法尼亚州吗?
No, not here in Pennsylvania.
不,不是在宾夕法尼亚州。
She went to Russia undercover with her acting troupe...
她用她的剧团做掩护去俄罗斯卧底 ...
...and got a lot of highly sensitive secret plans sent back.
...,得到了很多高度敏感的秘密计划。
Just when she was about to go home, she got caught and they killed her.
就在她要回家时,她被抓住了,他们杀了她。
So, when did she have you between all of her acting...
所以,当她怀了你的时候,她在演出...
...and spying and getting caught?
...然后从事间谍活动而被抓到吗?
She was pregnant with me when she went to Russia, but didn't know.
当她去到俄罗斯前怀上了我,但并不知道。
When the Russians found out, they waited to shoot her.
当俄国人发现了她,都热切地盼望着杀了她。
You're not allowed to kill pregnant women anywhere in the world.
在世界上的任何地方都是不允许杀孕妇的。
So she had you in jail in Russia?
所以,她不得不在俄罗斯监狱里把你生下来?
Well, actually, I was born in Siberia and then they shot her...
嗯,其实,我出生在西伯利亚,然后苏联人枪杀了她...
...and sent me home to my dad.
...送我回到我爸爸家。
If bullshit wore a bra, you'd be top-heavy.
如果废话会穿胸罩的话,你站都站不稳。
Ask anyone. Ask my dad.
问其他人。去问我爸爸。
It could be true.
这可能是真的。
How come guys talk so much when they have nothing to say...
当一个人没什么可说的时候,怎么会讲了这么多
... and girls have plenty to say, but no one'll listen?
...女孩有很多可以说,可就是没有人听吗?
I used to come down here and sleep on this spot when I was little.
我小的时候来这里,睡在这上面。
My report's gonna be a disaster.
我的报告作业会是一场灾难。
Everything I know about her fits into one little box.
我对她的一切了解,都装在一个小盒子里。
Oh, Vada, what a sweet baby book!
哦,维达,真是可爱的小人书啊!
It's only filled out to page two.
它只画了两页。
I was eight pounds, four ounces.
我,八磅四盎司。
There are so many programmes.
有这么多的节目。
She was in a lot of plays.
她出演过很多戏剧。
Dad said that when she was on stage...
爸爸说,当她在舞台上...
...she held the audience in the palm of her hand.
她把观众都牢牢吸引住了。
What's this? "December 8, 1958."
这是什么? “12月8日,1958。”
I don't know. Dad doesn't either.
我不知道。爸爸也不知道。
Well, it must mean something.
好了,这很有意思。
She was obviously very sentimental.
她显然很感伤。
This, that's one of my favourite things, her passport.
这,这是我最喜欢做的,她的护照。
Vada, she's so beautiful.
维达,她真是个美人。
"Margaret Ann Muldovan, born in Los Angeles, California...
“玛格莉特安穆尔德凡,出生在美国加利福尼亚州洛杉矶,...
"...February 7, 1936." Aquarius.
“...... 1936年2月7日。”水瓶座。
Margaret's my middle name, but everybody called her Maggie.
玛格丽特是我的中间名,但大家都叫她麦琪。
- Los Angeles. Have you ever been there? - No.
- 洛杉矶。你有去过那里吗? - 不
You know, they say that it never rains...
你知道,他们说那里从来不下雨...
...that you can barbecue on Christmas Day.
...你可以在圣诞节烧烤。
Instead of riding your bike, you just surf over to your friend's house.
你冲浪就可以经过你朋友的房子,而不是骑自行车。
The place is just crawling with celebrities.
这个地方满地都是名人。
I know someone who saw Walter Matthau picking up his dry cleaning.
我知道有人看到沃尔特·马修去拿他的干洗衣服。
Is that why Uncle Phil moved there?
这就是为什么菲尔叔叔搬到那里住?
Uncle Phil just needed a change.
菲尔叔叔只是需要改变。
A little adventure.
冒一点点的险。
I wonder why she got a passport if she never went anywhere?
如果她从来不去任何地方,那为什么她有本护照 ?
Well, you've gotta be prepared.
你得做好准备啊。
I'm definitely travelling some day.
我肯定有一天也会旅行。
What do you mean?
你是什么意思?
How would you like to visit your Uncle Phil in Los Angeles...
你想要访问你在洛杉矶的菲尔叔叔吗...?
...next week, during your spring vacation? You could do research on your mum.
下周,你的春季假期?你可以探究你妈妈到底怎么回事。
But what about you and the baby? You need me.
但是,你和孩子怎么办? 你需要我。
But I'm not due to have the baby for another six weeks or so.
但我接下来6周左右宝宝还不会出来 。
It would be kind of great.
这将是件大事。
It would be fantastic!
这将是非常棒的!
But Dad will never go for it.
但是,爸爸不会去了。
You leave your father to me.
吧你的父亲留给我吧。
You should encourage her to spread her wings.
您应该鼓励她,让她远走。
She can spread her wings here in Pennsylvania.
她可以展开她的翅膀,在宾夕法尼亚州就可以。
You don't send a child to Los Angeles.
你不能送孩子到洛杉矶。
She could come back with her ears pierced and legs shaved.
她可能带着耳洞和剃了毛的腿回来。
She's not a child. She's a young woman.
她不是一个孩子。她是一个年轻的女人。
- She's on the brink of... - Disaster.
- 她正在... - 灾难。
- Disaster lurks behind every palm tree. - You're being narrow-minded.
- 灾难隐藏在每个棕榈树的背后。 - 你真是狭隘。
Maybe when she's a little older, I'd be more than happy to bring...
也许,当她年纪大一点, 我会很乐意带...
Hi, Vada. We were just having a little...
嗨,维达。我们只是有一点点...
You were just having a fight about me.
你们在争论关于我的事情。
Wouldn't you like to hear my opinion?
难道你不想听听我的意见吗?
I think that if I'm old enough to accept a new baby...
我想,如果我足够成熟可以接受一个新的婴儿...
...and old enough to accept a new room...
已经能接受一个新的房间...
...I'm old enough for California.
那么我足够成熟可以去加利福尼亚州。
I know it's fun to think about these things, but...
我知道想到这些事情很有趣,但...
I already bought a ticket.
我已经买了票。
- What? - I used my money and got a great deal.
- 什么? - 我用我自己的钱,做了一笔大交易。
It's a Q47-NR five-day fare...
这是一个Q47-NR 5天票价...
...which means I'll change planes in Dallas and stay over a Saturday.
...这意味着我星期六会在达拉斯停留,然后转机。
There's no exchanges or refunds, so if you don't let me go...
有没有换班或退款,所以,如果你不让我走...
...then I will have wasted my entire life savings.
然后我就会浪费一生的积蓄。
Isn't it against the law to sell airline tickets to minors?
向未成年人出售机票是不是违法的?
Don't tell me you aided and abetted this little scheme?
不要告诉我是你协助及教唆的这个小计划?
The airline requires the signature of an adult.
航空公司需要一个成年人的签名。
They forgot to ask for one who wasn't having hormone surges.
他们忘了问一个没有激素激增问题的人。
Come on, Harry! We're talking about five days here.
拜托,哈利!我们要在这里谈论五天吗?
We're going overboard for just a simple school assignment.
只是一个简单的学校作业,我们走极端了。
It's not a little school assignment.
这不只是一个小小的学校作业。
I think maybe all of this is happening for a reason.
我想正在发生这一切都是有原因的。
Reason? What reason? What?
原因?什么原因?什么?
Phil's moving to LA, Gramoo's passing. The baby being born.
菲尔搬到洛杉矶,格拉默的不在。婴儿就要出生。
Maybe all of these are signs. Signs that it's time for Vada to take this trip.
也许所有的这些迹象表明维达是时候去旅行了。
Let me get the Loch Ness Monster on the phone.
我在电话里听到了尼斯湖水怪。
You two have a lot to talk about.
你们俩谈了很多呀。
No, I'm sorry. Vada is not going to Los Angeles.
不,对不起。维达的是不会去洛杉矶的。
Now, I have made my decision, and that is final.
现在,我已经作出了决定,这是最终的决定。
And remember, don't talk to anyone.
请记住,不要和任何人说话。
Even if a nun sits next to you, don't talk to her.
即使修女坐在你旁边,不跟她说话。
And no boys. Promise me.
别和男孩说话。答应我。
Those LA people are all so corrupt, you'll end up pregnant and on drugs.
那些洛杉矶人都相当坏,到头来你会怀孕和嗑药的。
Don't run to me when you're in the morgue with a toe tag...
不要在太平间带着脚趾标签来见我...
...having been beaten to an unrecognisable pulp by a surfer.
...被殴打的鼻青脸肿看不出是谁。
And don't make eye contact.
不要有眼睛接触。
It communicates an implied vulnerability.
它会传达一个隐含的心理漏洞。
What does that mean?
什么意思呢?
It means I'm a paranoid nitwit who's never let his baby girl...
这意味着我是一个永远不会让宝贝女儿...
...out of his sight for the simple reason he's a paranoid nitwit.
...离开他视线偏执的傻子,原因很简单,他是个偏执的傻子。
So, why don't you just say, "Oh, Dad," and get on the damn plane already.
那么,为什么你不说,“哦,爸爸,”然后登上那该死的飞机。
'Bye, Dad. I'll miss you.
“再见了,爸爸。”我会想念你的。
Thanks. I needed that.
谢谢。我需要这样。
I'll be back in 137 hours.
我会回来的,就在137个小时后。
It's hard to believe that my mother's whole life fits into this box.
真的很难相信,我母亲的整个人生都在这盒子里。
I've just got to think of this stuff as clues. Or good-luck charms.
我刚刚发现这个东西可以作为线索。 或带来好运气。
But I need more than luck to solve this puzzle.
但我需要不只是运气来解决这个难题。
I need a miracle.
我需要一个奇迹。
Arriving passengers, Flight 57, your baggage is now available...
抵港旅客,57航班,你的行李已到...
... on Carousel 2.
...就在2号传送带。
Arriving passengers please go to ticket agent...
抵港旅客,请去票务代理...
... at the airline's reservation counter.
...航空公司的预订口。
Are you waiting for someone?
你在等人吗?
Excuse me, I asked you a question.
对不起,我只是问你一个问题。
I'm not suppose to talk to strangers, not even nuns.
我不想和陌生人说话,甚至是修女。
You're Vada, right?
你是维达,对不对?
- How did you know my name? - Your Uncle Phil told me.
- 你怎么知道我的名字? - 你的菲尔叔叔告诉我的。
Where is he? He was supposed to meet me.
他在哪里? 他本来是要和我见面的。
Hey, relax! You think I kidnapped him or something?
嘿,放松! 你以为我绑架了他吗?
This is California. Anything's possible.
这里是加州。一切皆有可能。
Well, if I was looking for a victim, I wouldn't pick your Uncle Phil...
如果我在寻找一个受害者,我也不会找你的菲尔叔叔...
...who outweighs me by about 150 pounds.
比我重约150磅。
Besides, who would I ask for ransom? You?
再说,我会找谁要赎金? 你?
Are you suffering from a chemical imbalance or is it just an attitude problem?
你是否患有的内分泌不稳,或者只是一个态度问题?
My only problem is that your uncle's given me $5 to pick you up...
我唯一的问题是,你叔叔给我5美元来接你......
...but I don't get paid till delivery.
...但直到我把你领去,才能得到钱,。
Gee, that is a problem.
哎呀,这是个问题。
Put that down! I'll call the police!
放下来!我叫警察了!
What are you gonna do? Tell them that a polite person helped carry your bag?
你打算怎么办?告诉他们一个有礼貌的人帮你拎包吗?
You're not very polite.
你不是很有礼貌。
I don't think you're very grateful. A lot of people would say thank you.
我不认为你会感激我。但很多人会说声谢谢。
- Thank you. - Don't mention it.
- 谢谢你。 - 不要客气。
- I don't even know your name. - It's Nick. There you go.
- 我还不知道你的名字。 - 我叫尼克。给你。
- Okay. - Thanks.
- 好吧。 - 谢谢。
Oh, great! No cabs.
哦,太棒了!没有出租车。
I have a gift for you.
我有个礼物送给你。
- Thanks. - No, thanks.
- 谢谢。 - 不,谢谢。
- He said it was a gift. - Yeah, right.
- 他说,这是一个礼物。 - 是的,没错。
- Look, I don't need you to be telling me to... - Taxi!
- 你看,我不需要你告诉我... - 出租车!
You look like you know where to go. Where are we headed?
你看起来像知道哪里去了。 我们要去哪里?
Take the 405 to Santa Monica, then to Whittier to Sunset.
走405公路到圣莫尼卡,然后到维特街再到日落广场。
Here you go. See that building?
到了。看到这房子了吗?
My grandfather built it. Budapest Auto Repair.
我祖父建起来的。布达佩斯自动修理店。
That's my room, right up there.
这是我的房间,在那里。
One of these days, this is all gonna be mine.
总有一天,都是属于我的。
Hi! Hi, honey! How are you?
您好!嗨,亲爱的!你怎么样?
- You look great! How's Shelly? Your dad? - They're great.
- 你看起来太棒了!雪莉怎么样?你爸爸呢? - 他们很好。
How about Nick? Did he take good care of you?
尼克怎么样? 他有没有好好照顾你?
He was very polite. Worth the entire $5.
他很有礼貌。值得一个$5。
Well, good to know.
好了,知道。
Give it back, Nicholas.
把它还回去,尼古拉斯。
But we made a business deal!
但我们做了一笔交易!
Whatever happened to a good-old-fashioned favour?
无论这不错的老式把戏发生了什么?
Our family's been dealing with your company...
我们家族与贵公司...
...for over 40 years. Either the chain is here or it isn't, and I don't see it.
相處超过40年。无论它是不是有关系,我都没有看到。
You wanna come down and explain why...
你想下来,并解释为什么...
...we can't fix cars 'cause parts aren't here? Come on.
因爲缺少零件,不能修复汽车?来吧。
I already have weight trouble. I don't need your blubber.
我已经有体重問題了。 我不需要你的鲸脂(暗指潤滑油)。
Are we clear on this, or do I have to speak with your father?
我们達成協議了沒?還是我一定要和你的父亲说话吗?
Yes, yes, I love you too, Irving.
是的,是的,我也爱你,欧文。
You must be Vada!
你一定是维达!
Oh, if I had a face like that, I wouldn't have to yell so much.
哦,如果我有这样的脸, 我也不会嚷嚷了。
I'm Rose. Rose Zsigmond. Nick's mother, among other things.
我罗丝。罗丝齐格蒙。 尼克的妈妈,没其他的了。
You're Nick's mother?
你是尼克的母亲吗?
Did you think he was raised by a pack of wolves?
你认为他被谁养大的,一群狼?
Don't be misled by the haircut.
不要被他的发型误导了。
Who knew when I started working in the finest foreign car shop in LA...
谁知道,当我开始在洛杉矶最优秀的外国汽车店工作...
...I'd also find the light of my life?
我也找到了我生命中的希望吗?
Well, he left out a couple of steps.
当然,他跳过来了几个步骤。
I've gotta get back to these bills.
我要去归还那些单子。
Will you help Vada get settled?
你会帮维达安顿好吗?
Come on. I'll show you where you're gonna stay.
来吧。我会告诉你待在哪里。
Not what you expected from downstairs, right?
不是你刚才所期望,对不对?
Now, we'll put your stuff over here in this closet.
我把你的东西在这个柜子里。
You can unpack later.
您可以待会整理。
This is where you sleep. Luckily, this sofabed is really comfortable.
这是你睡觉的地方。幸运的是,这沙发床真的很舒服。
I can tell you that from personal experience.
凭借个人经验,我可以这么说。
Bathroom. You have to?
浴室。你上厕所吗?
Rose and my room.
罗斯和我的房间。
She lives here, too?
她住在这里吗?
That's right. Like one big happy family.
对。就像一个快乐的大家庭。
This is Nick's room and...
这是尼克的房间...
But are you engaged or something?
但你订婚了还是什么?
Dating, seriously dating.
约会,认真交往。
You're thirsty. You want something to drink?
你渴了。 你想喝点什么吗?
Sure you do. It's been a long trip.
当然。过来是个漫长的旅程。
You see, Vada, marriage is a very big step.
你看,维达,婚姻是非常伟大的一步。
And not something to be entered into lightly.
没什么是轻而易举的。
I just wanna make very sure that everything is absolutely...
我只是想确定这一切是绝对没问题了...
...right before I go jumping into some kind...
我要进入某种...
Sounds like you have a fear of commitment, Uncle Phil.
听起来像是你害怕承诺,菲尔叔叔。
That's ridiculous. I'm very, what do you call it?
真荒谬。我非常,你称之为什么呢?
- Committed? - Committed.
- 致力于吗? - 落实。
So, does that mean you sleep here every night?
那么,是什么意思你每天晚上睡在这里吗?
Well, that's not exactly dating, is it?
好吧,这不完全是约会,是吗?
Vada, I know that traditionally, you're not supposed to do a lot of these things...
维达,我知道,传统上,很多事你不应该做...
...before you're officially married...
在正式结婚之前,
...but these are very special circumstances.
但这是非常特殊的情况。
When sex is involved, it's always "special circumstances."
当涉及性,总是“特殊情况”。
My parents had a brief but intensely fulfilling relationship.
我的父母有过短暂但也是充实的关系。
She's remained a woman of mystery to this day.
直到今天,她仍然是一个神秘的女人。
And you're gonna solve the mystery?
你会解开这个谜吗?
I got it all figured out. She went to Wilson High School...
我都想过了。她去了威尔逊高中...
...so first thing tomorrow, I'll go there and get a copy of her yearbook.
所以明天第一件事就是,我会去那里找到一份年鉴。
That way I get the names of people she was in clubs with...
这样,我能得到她所在俱乐部人的名字...
...and find out about her friends.
...了解她的朋友。
Then you'll be all set.
然后,你就可以全部搞定。
- Sounds like you're very organised. - I have to be. I only have five days.
- 听起来像你非常有计划的。 - 必须的。我只有5天。
Just point me in the right direction and...
朝着正确的方向...
I'll do better than that. I'll send you off with your own private guide.
我会做的更好。我会让你的私人导游送你去。
I'd consider it a personal favour.
我认为这是个人喜好。
It isn't like you had a whole lot to plan for this week, right?
你这个星期不像有很多事情,对不对?
- What's that? - $10.
- 那是什么? - $ 10。
- What's it for? - For the mini-bike fund.
- 为什么? - 买小自行车的基金。
I know you're not crazy about taking Vada around tomorrow...
我知道你不是很喜欢明天带着维达到处跑......
...so I just want you to know I appreciate it though.
...所以我只是想让你知道,我会很感激你帮我的。
- No problem. - You're a good man, Nicholas.
- 没问题。 - 你是个好人,尼古拉斯。
Phil, I think you should consider...
菲尔,我认为你应该考虑...
I thought my mum went to school in LA.
我想妈妈去了在洛杉矶的学校。
We've gotta be closing in on the Grand Canyon.
我们去靠近大峡谷的地方。
I'm sure for a trip to the Grand Canyon...
我敢肯定大峡谷之旅...
...you'd charge a little more than $10.
一定花掉你你取不只是10美元。
You know, eavesdropping is a very unattractive habit.
你知道吗,偷听是个很不好的习惯。
I wasn't eavesdropping. I was overhearing.
我没偷听。我无意中听到的。
I didn't ask for the money. Phil just gave it to me.
我没有问他要钱。菲尔给我的。
Look, I know that all you care about is your precious mini-bike.
你看,我知道你关心的是您宝贵的迷你自行车。
It's obvious you have no sense of historical perspective. I think we're here.
很明显,你没有任何历史头脑。我们到了。
Excuse me. Pardon. Thank you. Excuse me.
对不起。抱歉。谢谢。对不起。
Where's the school?
学校在哪里?
"Due to a devastating fire, June 17, 1963, Wilson High School was closed."
“由于毁灭性的火灾,1963年6月17日,威尔逊高中被关闭。“
I can't believe it!
简直不敢相信!
My mother's high school burned down.
我母亲的高中被烧毁了。
They obviously have no sense of historical perspective either.
他们显然也没有任何历史头脑。
It's not funny. I mean, what am I gonna do?
这不好笑。 我的意思是,该怎么办?
Without that yearbook, I'm lost.
没有年鉴,没线索了。
I can't just walk around looking for someone with a Wilson High sweater.
我不能就这样四处寻找穿着威尔逊高中毛衣的人。
- Vada. - What?
- 维达。 - 什么?
We just have to ask ourselves where yearbooks come from.
我们只需要问自己,年鉴怎么来的。
I mean, they don't appear out of thin air.
我的意思是,他们不会凭空出现。
Watch these machines, now.
当心这些机器。
- This is really very nice of you. - No problem. I had a mother once myself.
- 你人真不错。 - 没问题。我也有母亲啊。
If it's in here at all, it's in the back two rows.
如果都在这里,应该在后面两行。
- Okay, thank you very much. - Happy hunting.
- 好了,非常感谢你。 - 狩猎快乐。
I don't mean to alarm you, but I'm getting a nosebleed from the altitude.
我不是故意你警告你,但我在这种高度要出鼻血了。
Just remember the needle in the haystack.
只要记住我们在大海捞针。
I never did understand that story. Did they find the needle or not?
我从来都没理解这个故事。最后他们找到针没有?
- What difference does it make? - A big difference.
- 有什么区别呢? - 很大区别。
If they found it, we should keep looking. If not, we're wasting our time.
如果他们发现的话,我们应该继续找。 如果没有,我们就是在浪费时间。
Oh, my gosh! Here it is.
哦,我的天哪!在这里。
Look, here she is. "Margaret Ann Muldovan.
你看,她就在这儿。 “玛格莉特安穆尔德凡。
"Newspaper, Literary Magazine, French Club, Drama Club...
“报纸,文学杂志,法国俱乐部,戏剧俱乐部...
"...Glee Club, Girls Basketball and Swim Team.
“合唱团,女子篮球,游泳队。
"With Maggie's combo of good looks and talent, we'll surely see her name in lights."
“麦琪有漂亮的外观和才华,我们一定会看到她的名字在灯光下闪耀。“
She was gonna be famous.
她要出名了。
Yearbooks always set you up for disappointment.
年鉴总是让你失望。
I want mine to say:
我想会说我:
"Nick probably won't amount to much...
“尼克可能不会很出彩...
"...so don't be surprised if you never hear anything about him again."
“...所以如果你从来没有再听到关于他的任何事情,不要感到惊讶。“
It smells like someone left their gym bag in here.
闻起来像有人把他们的运动背包放在在这里。
It's the leather bindings. I love the fragrance of vintage books.
是动物皮装订的。 我爱古董书籍的芬芳。
I love the fragrance of chilidogs.
我爱chilidogs的芬芳。
He was on the school paper with my mum.
他和我妈妈一起写过学校论文。
Great. A full page of Tanakas, 15 with the initial "D."
很好,一整页的田中, 15个“D”开头
This is gonna be tough.
这会很艰难的。
Don't forget, the girls changed their names if they got married.
不要忘了,如果女孩们结婚,就改名字了 。
I'll never do that.
我永远也不会怎么做。
- Get married? - Change my name.
- 结婚吗? - 改我的名字。
You think the guy should change his name?
您觉得男人应该改自己的名字吗?
I don't think anybody should change their name.
我认为任何人都不应该改名字。
That way you can always find them when you need them.
这样当你需要他们,你总能找到他们。
What if you don't wanna be found?
如果你不想被发现呢,该怎么办?
Why do you argue with everything I say?
为什么我说什么你都要跟我争论?
- Hi. - Can I help you?
- 嗨。 - 我可以帮你吗?
Does someone named Daryl Tanaka work here?
是否有叫达里尔田中的人在这里工作?
Hey, Tanaka! You got company!
嘿,田中!你有访客!
It's too bad about your mum, but at least she went peacefully.
你的妈妈的事真是太糟糕了,至少她走得安详。
I've seen a lot of people go out the hard way.
我已经看了很多人痛苦死去。
What do you remember about her?
你还记得她吗?
Well, we worked on the school paper together.
好了,我们一起写学校论文。
I remember when the Legion of Decency declared Rebel Without a Cause unfit.
我记得,当组织声称《无因的反叛》不合适。(美国1955年电影)
Boy, that Jim Backus! What an actor, huh? What an actor!
男孩,吉姆·巴克斯!好演员,对吧? 是一名好演员!
She wrote this article about censorship and the First Amendment.
她写了篇关于审查制度和第一修正案的文章。
She was really something.
她确实有才华。
Graduation? Some big-deal congressman saying Senator McCarthy...
毕业吗?一些国会议员 “参议员麦卡锡...
...was the greatest American ever.
美国最伟大的参议员。
Maggie gets up in front of 500 people, walks out.
麦琪起身在500人面前,走了出去。
Couple of people followed her, too.
几个人跟在她后面。
Took a lot of guts.
相当有胆量。
Wow, you walked out with my mother?
哇,你也走和我的母亲一起出去了?
Are you kidding? My parents would've shot me.
你在开玩笑吗?我的父母可能已经向我开枪了。
I was the president of the Young Republicans.
我是年轻共和党的主席。
Nisei, second generation. Hall monitor.
日裔,第二代。大厅班长。
I didn't wanna start World War III.
我不想发动第三次世界大战。
You saved a lot of lives. You should be very proud.
你挽救了很多生命。 你应该感到非常自豪。
I'm trying to find out her greatest achievement.
我试图找出她最大的成就。
She was the first girl ever suspended for smoking.
她曾经因为吸烟被停学。
Suspended from school? My mother?
停学?我母亲?
Everyone was really surprised when Maggie was turned in.
当麦琪被带出去时,每个人都很惊讶
She got kicked out for two weeks.
她辍学两个星期。
What kinda sleazoid geek would turn her in?
是什么样刻薄的怪胎把她赶走呢?
I would do it again!
如果是现在我还会做的!
You ratted on my mother?
你出卖了我的母亲吗?
Who are you, Hitler's hall monitor?
你是谁啊,希特勒大厅管理员?
Maybe you should join a hippie commune.
也许你应该加入一个嬉皮公社。
Let me tell you something.
让我告诉你一件事。
Sooner or later, it's gonna be your turn to take out the garbage.
迟早会轮到你把那些垃圾拎出去。
What about giving the other guy a break?
给其他人些放松的机会怎么样?
What about living in the real world, pal?
就不能活得现实点,朋友?
Tanaka. Got a minute?
田中。有时间吗?
I'll be right there.
我会来的。
I'd be a little more careful of who I hung around with.
我会更加小心地交朋友的。
This'll be great in my report. "My mother was suspended for smoking."
我的报告会很糟的。“我的母亲吸烟被劝退。”
- I think it's cool. - You would.
- 我觉得这很酷。 - 你觉得。
You'd rather have a mother that's a member of the police state?
你宁愿有个是警察国家一员的母亲吗?
Rules are made to be broken.
规则是用来被打破的。
- I want there to be no question... - Just ask him.
- 我想是没有问题的... - 问他。
... that the President has nothing to hide in this matter.
...总统在这个问题上没有什么可隐瞒。
- Hello. - Hi.
- 你好。 - 嗨。
What can I do for you?
我可以为你做什么?
我住在Ch鈚eau...I'm staying at the Ch鈚eau and the guy...
...who runs the garage there said that you're the best Jag people in town.
那里开修车厂的几个人说,你这有镇上最好的捷豹修理员。
Well, Enrique is great, and we are the best.
恩里克很出色,我们是最好的。
- Well, then I have come to the right place. - I guess you have.
- 好吧,那我来对地方了。 - 我猜是的。
I'm Sam Helburn. Sam.
我是山姆赫本。山姆。
- So, what's wrong? - Nothing. Nothing at all.
- 有什么问题? - 没有。什么都没有。
I mean, with your car?
我的意思是,你的车?
I just drove in from Chicago and...
我刚刚从芝加哥开车...
I was commenting on your hair.
我在评价你的头发。
Oh, are you a hairdresser?
哦,你是理发师吗?
I'm a paediatric cardiologist.
我是一名儿科心脏病专家。
You mean you fix the hearts of little babies?
意思是你修复小宝宝的心脏?
Mostly little babies, but not exclusively.
大部分的小宝宝,但不是全部。
It's all in the hands. You know, you have nice hands.
这一切都在掌握。你知道,你的手不错。
- You operate? - Yes, I do.
- 操作? - 是的。
So, I guess I'll always teach, you know, because...
所以,我想我会一直教书的,你知道,因为...
...it makes a good relief from the operating room.
是个很好的缓解手段,尤其从手术室出来。
- I feel I have an obligation to pass along... - Hi. Phil Sultenfuss. Sorry.
- 我有责任把知识传递下去... - 嗨。菲尔苏尔顿法斯。抱歉。
- Some kind of problem here? - No, there's no problem.
- 有问题吗? - 不,没有问题。
Dr. Helburn just needs to have his oil changed.
赫本博士想换他的机油。
'Cause usually that doesn't require such a lengthy consultation.
因为通常这事不需要谈那么长时间。
Well, Rose was being very thorough.
罗丝很周到。
Why don't you come in tomorrow morning at 8:00, when we open?
你为什么不在明天早上8:00我们开门时来?
- We'll get started. - I'll be here.
- 我们开始换。 - 我会的。
I look forward to it.
我很期待。
I'm sorry. I'll get that for you. Don't worry.
对不起。我会擦的。不要担心。
Get that for you in the morning. Nice wheels.
明天再说。漂亮的轮胎。
Why was he touching you?
他为什么要碰你?
He wasn't touching me. He was just gesturing.
他不是碰我。他只是比划。
- He was caressing you. - For God's sake!
- 他爱抚着你。 - 看在上帝的份上!
God? I didn't think you'd want to invoke God...
神吗?我没想到你要祈求上帝...
...because he saw more than I did.
因为他看到的比我更多。
Phil, if you want the rights of a husband, you'll have to ask me something.
菲尔,如果你想要丈夫的权利, 你必须先问一下我。
If not, you'll have to get accustomed to the rights of what you are.
如果没有,你必须习惯。
- What's that? - Right now?
- 那是什么? - 刚才?
An intimate boarder with mechanical skills.
一个好心房客的机械技能。
Oh, hi! How's the investigation going?
哦,你好!调查怎么样?
Just call us the "Dead End Kids."
只需拨打我们的“穷途末路儿童热线。”
- May I use the phone, please? - Oh, yeah, sure. Help yourself.
- 我可以用电话吗? - 哦,是的,当然。
Anyone with taste, anyone with breeding...
谁都有品味,都想生孩子...
A gentleman would choose British racing green with maybe a tan interior.
一位绅士也许会选择绿色英国赛车,棕褐色的内饰。
But when you buy a red car with a black interior...
但是,当你买一辆红色轿车,黑色的内饰...
...and wire wheels, you have one thing on your mind...
...钢丝轮,你心里有一件事...
...and I'm too much of a gentleman to say what that one thing is...
呃...我形容一件事太绅士了
...in front of the children.
...就因为孩子在这里。
Even if I am just a glorified boarder.
即使我只是一个光榮的房客。
Hi. I'd like the number for Stanley Rosenfeld Photo Studios.
你好。我想要赤柱罗森菲尔德相片工作室的电话。
Photography is an art form, if you take it seriously enough...
摄影是一种艺术形式,如果你对发生的事情...
...which I happen to do.
有足够的重视。
- Esther, you gorgeous thing, you. - Stanley!
- 埃斯特,尤物,你。 - 定格!
- Smile for the birdie! Hold, hold. - Stomach in, Harold.
- 微笑的小鸟!坚持。 - 收腹,哈罗德。
- Thank you. - Thank you.
- 谢谢你。 - 谢谢你。
Your mother was something special.
你的母亲很特别。
To tell you the truth, I had quite a crush on her.
说实话,我暗恋过她。
- Really? - Who didn't?
- 真的吗? - 谁不是呢?
She could play basketball like Jerry West, she'd dance like Cyd Charisse.
她可以像杰里韦斯特一样打篮球,她像賽德查里斯一样跳舞。
Then she'd look at you with those blue eyes, forget about it.
然后,她看着你的那双蓝眼睛,忘了烦恼吧。
I asked her out a couple of times...
我好几次想约她出去...
...but she always said no.
但她总是说不行。
Lenny, Nancy, you just got married.
莱尼,南希,你们刚结婚。
Look happy! Look like you mean it.
快乐点!看起来不错。
I remember those days.
我记得那些日子。
Then we all went off to UCLA and she started hanging around...
然后,我们去了加州大学洛杉矶分校,她开始在...
...with those drama department types.
......与那些戏剧系在一起。
There was one guy, Peter Webb...
有一个人,彼得·韦伯...
...who's a big director in Hollywood now.
现在的好莱坞大导演。
The only reason I know him is that we were all in a big poetry class...
我知道他的唯一原因是,我们都在一个大诗歌班...
...with this crazy guy, Albert Boderfelder.
...还有阿尔伯特博得菲尔德这个疯狂的家伙,。
- Beidermeyer? - Beidermeyer, that's it!
- 彼得梅尔德? - 彼得梅尔德,对!
- He's a great poet. - He is?
- 他是一个伟大的诗人。 - 他是谁?
- Do you know him? - Everybody did.
- 你认识他吗? - 每个人都认识。
Walk along Citrus between Fountain and Sunset any afternoon.
日落而息的下午,行走在喷泉边的柑橘林。
He'll remember my mother, for sure.
他会记得我的母亲,肯定的。
It was a big class, Vada, and...
是很大的班级,维达...
But, well, of course he'll remember. Who could forget Maggie?
但是,他当然会记得。谁能够忘记麦琪呀?
Just one more thing.
还有一件事。
Does this mean anything to you?
这是否意味着什么吗?
No, it doesn't, but I wish it did.
不,不,但我希望它有意义。
Well, thanks for your help, Mr. Rosenfeld.
好了,感谢您的帮助,罗森菲尔德先生。
I'm sorry my mother wouldn't go out with you.
抱歉我的母亲不会和你约会。
I'm sure she would've had a great time.
我敢肯定,她将有个快乐的时光。
I would've tried to show her a good time.
我一直努力给她一个好时光。
I promised her that I'd never forget her and I never did.
我答应她,我永远不会忘记她,而且我从来没有。
Stanley Rosenfeld does not forget.
斯坦利罗森菲尔德没有忘记她。
This is the street he walks down every day.
这就是他每天走的街道。
- When he needs inspiration... - Boy, you're really into this.
- 当他需要灵感... - 小子,你真的很崇拜他啊。
He is one of the great poets.
他是最伟大的诗人之一。
I think it's him.
我认为就是他。
If you're selling Girl Scout cookies, I'm borderline diabetic.
如果你是卖饼干的女童子军,我都要得糖尿病了。
You're Alfred Beidermeyer, aren't you?
你是阿尔弗雷德彼得梅耶尔吗?
You had to remind me?
你一定要提醒我吗?
- Are you writing a poem? - No, I'm writing the phone company...
- 你在写一首诗? - 不,我在写电话公司...
...because they keep charging me for calls to Caracas, Venezuela.
,因为他们一直在收我打到委内瑞拉加拉加斯的电话费。
Do you know anybody in Caracas, Venezuela?
你在加拉加斯认识什么人吗?
"Ask not for whom the bell tolls."
“不要问丧钟为谁而鸣”。
Time for my medication and my nap.
我的吃药时间,我的午睡时间。
- Here, we'll help you carry this stuff. - I can handle that.
- 我们帮你。 - 我可以处理的。
Oh, thank you. I'm in the penthouse.
哦,谢谢你。住在阁楼。
Penthouse A. It's there, over on the left.
阁楼A.那里,在左侧。
If he has a heart attack, you're carrying the body down yourself.
如果他有心脏病,你要自己把他的尸体背下去吗。
- At least it gives you plenty of exercise. - It keeps me young.
- 至少,你有足够的锻炼机会。 - 让我保持年轻。
- Where do you want this? - Just put it over there.
- 你想放在哪儿? - 就放在那里。
- Do you still teach? - No, no, no.
- 你还教书呢? - 不,不,不。
I gave it up 10 years ago.
我10年前放弃了。
Actually, it gave me up.
其实,它抛弃了我。
My mother took this course with you at UCLA.
我母亲在加州大学洛杉矶分校就参加过你的。
"Foundations of Poetic Thought."
“诗学思想的基础。”
UCLA? My cardigan sweater period.
加州大学洛杉矶分校吗?我的初级教授时期。
Her name was Maggie Muldovan.
她叫麦琪穆尔德凡。
I've been blessed with a very bad memory.
我一直被人祝福,因为我有个非常糟糕的记忆力。
People say she looked like me.
人们说她看起来像我。
I was drinking a little in those days.
在那些日子里我有点喝醉了。
I'm drinking a little these days, too.
我这些天也喝一点了。
I'm sure she found your lectures fascinating.
我敢肯定,她觉得您的演讲引人入胜。
Oh, I doubt it.
哦,我对此表示怀疑。
Writers are notoriously boring.
作家是出了名的无聊。
I don't wanna be a writer.
我并不想成为一个作家。
I wanna be just like you.
我想成为像你一样。
My dear, this is not a country that rewards poetry.
亲爱的,这不是个会奖励诗歌的国家。
This is a country that rewards gas mileage.
这个国家只奖励耗油量。
Besides, people don't read poetry anymore, they watch television.
此外,人们不读诗了,他们看电视。
Don't be a poet.
不要成为一个诗人。
Be a TV repairman!
做一个电视修理工!
I've got a place I always go when I need cheering up.
当我需要振作起来,有个我经常去的地方 。
The tar pits? This is where you come to get cheered up?
焦油坑? 这是你振作起来吗?
Look at it this way:
这样看:
However bad I feel, it isn't as bad as becoming extinct...
无论我感觉多糟糕,但都没有濒临绝种那样糟...
...in a bottomless pit of tar.
...在充满焦油的无底洞。
And I thought I was weird.
我觉得我很奇怪。
Oh, no. Wait. I like that you brought me here.
哦,不。等等。我挺喜欢你把我带到这里的。
Hey, what do I care? I mean, consider the source:
嘿,我为什么要在乎呢?我的意思是,想一下:
A chick from Pennsylvania who wears a mood ring.
来自宾夕法尼亚州的一只小鸡,还有个心情戒指。
This isn't just a mood ring.
这不只是一只心情戒指。
Well, it doesn't open cans or anything...
不是开罐器或什么的...
It's sort of a reminder of a friend of mine.
是我一个朋友的提醒。
Well, he was a boy. He was my friend.
嗯,他是个男孩。他是我的朋友。
He was my best friend.
他是我最好的朋友。
When we were kids we were gonna...
当我们还是孩子,我们要去...
...move out here and live with the Brady Bunch.
搬出这里,生活在布雷迪。
Then, I lost this ring in the woods...
然后,我在树林里把戒指掉了...
...and when he went to find it, he got stung by bees and he died.
当他去找的时候,他被蜜蜂螫到,他死了。
Do you think your friend's up in heaven now...
你觉得你的朋友现在在天堂...
...Iooking down on you, and watching you all the time?
...看着你,一直看着你?
Well, I hope he's not watching me all the time.
嗯,我不希望他一直看着我。
Let me see if it changes colours on me.
让我看看,如果它能我身上改变颜色。
But be careful. It has a lot of sentimental value.
但是要小心。 它有很多情感价值。
Maybe it'll fit my pinkie.
也许它能戴上我的小指。
Well, don't force it. You'll break it.
好了,不要硬来。你会弄坏它的。
I'm not gonna break it. I just wanna see it change colours.
我不会弄坏它的。我只是想看看怎么改变颜色。
I want it back now. I never should have taken it off.
我希望把它要回来。我不应该拿下来的。
- I want it back. - Hey, relax! I'm not gonna break it!
- 我希望把它要回来。 - 嘿,放松!我不会弄坏的!
- Give it to me. - Come and get it.
- 把它。 - 来拿呀。
- Just give it to me! - It's right here.
- 给我吧! - 就在这里。
Just come and get it.
来拿呀。
- Right here. - Don't! Come on.
- 就在这里。 - 不要!来吧。
What do you mean, "uh-oh"?
你是什么意思,“嗯,哦”?
It was an accident. I'll get you a new one.
这是一个意外。我给你找一个新的。
Where are you going?
你要去哪里?
Vada, wait up! Wait!
维达,等一下!
- What are you doing? You can't go in. - Oh, no?
- 你在做什么?你不能进去的。 - 哦,是吗?
- It's dangerous! - Leave me alone.
- 这很危险的! - 别烦我。
That ring is the only thing I have left of Thomas J. I have to get it.
这戒指是托马斯·J.给我的唯一的东西了,我一定要找到它。
You mean this ring?
你是说这个戒指吗?
You jerk! You idiot!
你这个混蛋!你个白痴!
You hit pretty good, for a girl!
作为一个女孩,你打得还不错!
What are you doing up?
你在做什么呢?
There's water in your bathroom.
你的浴室就有水。
- Don't wake up Vada. - I won't.
- 不要醒来,维达。 - 不会的。
I think Maggie could've been a major player.
我觉得麦琪应该是个主要演员。
She had the talent.
她很有天赋。
God knows that face was made for close-ups.
天知道那种脸就是为特写而生的。
And everything was magic with Maggie.
麦琪的一切都充满魔法。
I remember we were walking down Hollywood Boulevard one night...
记得我们有一晚在好莱坞大道散步...
...and we put our feet in the stars' footprints.
把我们的脚放进明星们的足印。
You know, like tourists do? Maggie could not believe it.
你知道,就像游客做的? 简直不敢相信。
Her feet were the same size as Judy Garland.
她的脚和朱迪·加兰是大小相同。
'Course, mine matched perfectly with Orson Welles.
“当然,我的也和奥逊·威尔斯完美匹配 。
You should call Hillary Mitchell.
你应该叫希拉里·米切尔。
She and Maggie were very close.
她和Maggie是非常接近的。
She's got this funky little clothing store over here on Melrose.
她在梅尔罗斯有个时髦的小服装店。
I'd call her for you, but, well, we kinda had this thing...
我会打电话给她,但,好了,我们有点过这样的事情...
...you know, and it got a little messy.
...你知道的,有点问题。
Would you know what this is?
你知道这是什么吗?
Could be the date of an opening, an audition, birthday?
可能是开幕式,音响,生日派对什么的日期吗?
Not my birthday. I don't know.
不是我的生日。我不知道。
Who writes dates on paper bags?
谁在纸包装袋上写的日期?
Whoa! I have got to get to dailies. I gotta break this up.
哇!我已经迟了。我要走了。
Well, thanks for your time. I know you're very busy.
好的,感谢您抽空见我。我知道你很忙。
You are Maggie all over again.
你简直是麦琪再世。
You let me know if you ever want to be a movie star.
如果你想成为个电影明星,和我说一声。
You got the face for close-ups, too.
你也有张为了特写镜头而生的脸。
We may go for coffee after the meeting, so don't expect us before midnight.
会议结束后,我们可以去喝点咖啡,所以不要指望我们在午夜之前回来。
- There's fruit. - You know where the extinguisher is.
- 有水果的。 - 你知道灭火器在哪里。
If the fruit bursts into flames, I'll be prepared.
如果水果突然燃烧起来,我会做好准备的。
- Are you all right, honey? - I'm just tired.
- 你没事吧,亲爱的? - 我只是累了。
Well, get to bed early and don't let anybody in.
好了,早早就上床睡觉 不要让任何人进来
- 'Bye. - Lock the door.
- “再见。 - 锁门。
Joan Crawford! Oh, I love her.
琼·克劳馥!哦,我爱她。
There's the Marx Brothers!
马克思兄弟!
- Carole Lombard! My dad's favourite. - Never heard of her.
- 卡罗尔伦巴!我爸爸最喜欢的。 - 从来没有听说过她。
Montgomery Clift! Wait till I tell Shelly.
蒙哥马利克利夫特!我可以告诉雪莉了。
Here's Judy Garland!
这是朱迪·加兰!
- My mother stood on this very spot. - I'm afraid your feet won't fit there.
- 我母亲曾站在这里。 - 我想你的脚不会适合的。
That's 'cause I was cursed with the Sultenfuss bear claws.
那是因为我有苏尔顿法斯的熊爪诅咒。
- My hands fit. - Big deal.
- 我的手正适合。 - 真伟大。
What's he smoking?
他在吸烟吗?
This is a totally barbaric custom.
这真是个野蛮的习俗。
So, if Phil marries my mum, she'd be your aunt, right?
因此,如果菲尔和我妈妈结婚,她就会是你的阿姨,对不对?
And you'd be my cousin?
你就是我的表妹吗?
Yeah, I guess. Sort of.
是的,我想是的。
But we wouldn't really be related, right?
但我们不会真的有血缘关系,对不对?
Oh, no, we wouldn't be from the same bloodlines or anything.
哦,不,我们不会有相同的血统或什么的。
We'd be like two total strangers who accidentally had relatives...
我们会像两个完全陌生的人,然后不小心成了亲戚...
...who got married.
...就因为有人结婚了。
Good. I mean...
好。我的意思是...
Marriage can really complicate things.
婚姻可以是非常复杂的事情。
So, aren't you gonna say anything about my earrings?
所以,你不打算评论下我的耳环?
It's a totally barbaric custom.
这是野蛮的习俗。
- We should've called. - It's not that late.
- 他们应该打过电话了。 - 这还不算晚。
You're grounded till you're 50.
你被禁足了,直到你50岁。
- You're overreacting. - Make that 60.
- 你反应过度了。 - 那就到60。
And I'm docking your allowance for two weeks.
我扣下你两个星期的零花钱。
- Mum! - You think this is easy for me?
- 妈妈! - 你觉得这对我来说很无所谓吗?
You go out and I get to be the bad guy.
你走出去,会变成坏家伙。
I don't want you to be a delinquent...
我不希望你成为个违法的家伙...
...but I can't do my job if you don't do yours.
...如果你不做好自己事情,我就不能做我的工作。
- It's not his fault. - No. It was me.
- 这不是他的错。 - 是我提的。
I'm sorry, Mum. Really.
对不起,妈妈。真的。
Just tell me what to do. I'll do anything.
只要告诉我该怎么做。我会做任何事情。
Your father didn't give you permission to pierce your ears, did he?
你父亲不允许你去打耳洞,是不是?
Well, just don't shave your legs.
不要刮你的腿毛。
He'll never let you visit us again if I send you home hairless and full of holes.
如果我把你全身是洞光秃秃送回去,他再不会让你来看我们,。
- Good morning. - Well, maybe for you.
- 早上好。 - 好吧,也许对你来说是的。
- Is something wrong? - You're lucky...
- 有什么不对的吗? - 你很幸运......
...you deal with kids who are under anaesthesia.
在孩子麻醉状态下和他们相处。
Well, even without anaesthesia, I always tell my patients to...
甚至不用麻醉,我总是告诉我的病人......
Isn't it time for your coffee break or something?
你有没有休息时间什么的?
There must be someplace where we can go, talk.
一定有我们可以去谈话的地方。
Oh, no, I couldn't.
哦,不,我不能。
Well, I'm sort of involved.
嗯,我有点安排。
- Sort of? - Let's just say I'm involved.
- 有点? - 我只是说我有安排。
Where I come from, involvement calls for...
我该从哪里说起呢,有关...
...a substantial piece of jewellery.
...一大件珠宝。
Oh, well, I don't wear a lot of jewellery.
哦,我不会戴很多首饰的。
Alright, so you don't like jewellery, but you do like good music.
嗯,所以你不喜欢珠宝,但你喜欢音乐。
Liszt. One of my favourites.
李斯特。我的最爱之一。
Liszt was my parents' favourite. They were Hungarian.
李斯特是我父母的喜爱。他们是匈牙利人。
Hungarians. Famous for their beautiful music...
匈牙利人。他们因为优美的音乐而闻名...
...their beautiful women.
都是美丽的女人。
Doctor Helburn! What a surprise.
赫本医生!真是个惊喜。
In the last couple of days, we've changed your oil, relined your brakes...
在过去的几天中,我们已经换了你的油,重校准刹车...
...balanced and rotated your tyres, aligned your front-end...
...平衡你的轮胎,前端对准...
...and flushed out your entire cooling system.
...冲洗整个冷却系统。
I really didn't expect to be seeing you for another 3000 miles.
我真的没想到会再见到你,就算再走3000英里。
Well, what can I say, Phil? It's just I feel so welcome here.
我能说什么,菲尔? 这只是我感到很受欢迎。
Why don't I come in the morning?
我为什么不早上来呢?
You can check out that left blinker for me.
可以给我检查左边的闪光灯。
I'll see you then. I look forward to it.
我会再见到你的。我很期待。
We really ought to flush out that line of bullshit he's got.
我们真的应该把他的废话一起冲掉。
"Hungarians are famous for their beautiful women."
“匈牙利因为漂亮的女人而著名。”
What's wrong with a little flattery? What's wrong with a little appreciation?
小小的奉承有什么错? 有点倾慕有什么错?
Are you saying I don't appreciate?
你是说我不喜欢吗?
I'm saying he asked me out for coffee, like a real date.
我认为他要请我喝咖啡,像一个真正的约会。
When was the last time you did that?
你上一次约我做了什么?
What do you mean? We have a date every night.
你是什么意思? 我们每天晚上有个约会。
No, that's not a date. A date is when I don't cook.
不,这不是一个约会。 约会是我不去做饭。
I'd go to a fortune teller, but they can only predict the future.
我可能去找算命先生,但他们只能预测未来。
I need someone who can predict the past.
我需要可以预测过去的人。
Hi. Can I help you?
你好。有何贵干?
Are you the Hillary Mitchell who went to school with Maggie Muldovan?
你是和麦琪穆尔德凡一起上学的希拉里米切尔吗?
She's her daughter, Vada.
她是她的女儿,维达。
It's the eyes mostly, and the hair, too.
它的眼睛大多了,头发多了。
And now she's gone.
而现在,她走了。
She'll never get to see how well you've turned out.
她永远也没有机会看到你出世。
It's okay, really. I was just a baby.
没关系,真的。当时我还只是个孩子。
I'm sorry. It's just...
对不起。只是...
...I've been taking all these seminars to get in touch with my feelings...
...我一直在参加些研讨会,触动我的感情......
...and sometimes it gets outta hand.
有时会失控。
Thank you. You're very sweet.
谢谢。你真可爱。
How did you find out where I was?
你是怎么找到我的?
Peter Webb told us.
彼得·韦伯告诉我们的。
Forgive me. I'm making such a scene here.
请原谅我。我把气氛搞成这样了。
- Why don't you have a seat? - Thanks.
- 为什么不坐下呢? - 谢谢。
I remember Maggie and your dad, too.
我记得麦琪和你爸。
You know, we used to all pile into his old '54 Ford pickup.
你知道,我们挤进他的老'54福特皮卡车里。
"Chuck the truck" we used to call it.
我们称之为“查克卡车”(渣车)。
It was pitch black with red leather interior.
是涂有黑色的红色真皮内饰。
Does he still drive that?
他还在开那车吗?
No, but sometimes he drives a hearse.
不,但有时他会开一辆灵车。
He's an undertaker.
他是一个葬礼承办。
Jeffrey Pommeroy's an undertaker?
杰弗里帕莫洛伊是葬礼承办?
His name's Harry Sultenfuss.
他的名字叫哈利苏尔顿法斯。
What are you saying?
你在说什么?
Are you saying my mum had another husband?
你是说我的妈妈有另一个丈夫吗?
Honey, back then, people did crazy things.
亲爱的,那时候,人们会做出疯狂的事情。
They got kicked outta school, they married truck drivers.
他们被踢出学校,他们和卡车司机结婚。
These are my mother's greatest accomplishments?
这是就我的母亲最伟大的成就?
I'm sure glad I came all the way out here to find them out.
我一路走过来,我真高兴把真相找出来了。
Just 'cause your mum was married before, doesn't mean anything.
只是你妈妈结过婚,并不意味着什么。
Maybe not. But maybe it does.
也许不是。但也许是的。
If no one told me about this...
如果没有人告诉我这...
Maybe they're trying to hide something.
也许他们是欲盖弥彰。
Maybe this Jeffrey guy is my real father.
也许这个叫杰弗里的家伙是我真正的父亲。
I have the hair of a dead person, and my nose...
我有个死人的头发,还有我的鼻子......
No one in my family has this nose.
我的家人中没人有这样的鼻子。
It could be the nose of a complete stranger.
这可能是个陌生人的鼻子。
I came out here to find out about my mother and I found...
我来这里找关于我的母亲的事迹,结果我发现...
That lady in there looked pretty flaky to me.
那位女士非常奇怪地看着我。
How bout Phil? Maybe he knows something about all this.
问问菲尔吧?也许他知道这一切。
At least you should talk to him before you get worked up.
至少在你开始前,应该和他谈谈。
Before I get worked up?
在我开始前?
You don't think this is worked up?
你不觉得已经了吗?
That thing you said about your nose?
你说的那件事有关你鼻子的事?
That it was a stranger's nose?
这是个陌生人的鼻子吗?
It's not. It's...
事实并非如此。这是...
This has been a real confusing day.
真是个令人困惑的日子。
How could Dad let me visit here and find out like this?
爸爸怎么让我来这里找出这样的真相?
I'm gonna call him and make him tell me everything.
我要打电话给他,让他把一切都告诉我。
Don't worry, I'll do it in my own subtle way.
不要担心,我会用我自己的方式来说。
Hello, Sultenfuss Parlour.
您好,苏尔顿法斯殡仪馆。
- Hi, Dad. - Hi, honey!
- 嗨,爸爸。 - 嗨,亲爱的!
I just called to say that I'm having a really great time.
我打电话来告诉你,我度过了一个真正快乐的时光。
Good. You should go over and watch them tape Carson.
好。你应该去看看他们的卡森。
Actually, I wanna see Jeffrey Pommeroy.
其实,我想看看杰弗里帕莫洛伊。
Is he some kind of a new rock star or something?
他是某种新的摇滚明星还是什么?
Totally groovy, huh?
完全没问题,对吧?
Ask him if he needs a good tuba player.
问他是不是需要一个不错的大号手。
The doctor just told her to stay in bed and get a little rest...
医生只是告诉她要在床上休息...
...and stay quiet just to make sure that...
并保持环境安静,以确保...
'Bye, Daddy. I love you.
“再见,爸爸。”我爱你。
- I love you too, sweetie pie. - My love to Shelly.
- 我也爱你,亲爱的。 - 爱雪莉。
I have to get to the bottom of this whole thing and get back there.
我一定要回到那里把事情彻底弄清。
She'll be all right, baby.
她会没事的,宝贝。
It's pointless to worry.
这担心是毫无意义的。
I'm not authorised to trace licenses for civilians.
我没有被授权来跟踪平民的许可。
His name is Jeffrey Pommeroy, and he used to drive a '54 Ford pickup.
他的名字是杰弗里帕莫洛伊,他通常开着'54福特皮卡。
Black with red interior.
黑色与红色的内饰。
All you have to do is make a phone call.
你要做的就是打个电话。
I thought I told you to lose this guy.
我告诉你,去忘了这个家伙。
Sergeant, I know I said some things last time that I shouldn't have said at all...
警长,我知道上次我说了一些不应该说话,我根本不该说...
I think the phrase was "sleazoid geek."
我认为你的口头禅是“怪胎。”
We gotta find this guy because he knew Vada's mum...
我们一定要找到这个家伙 因为他知道维达的母亲......
...and he could tell her stuff that no one else knows.
他可以告诉我们她没有人知道的事情。
You're still asking me to break the law.
你还是在想让我犯法。
No, we're asking you to stand up with Maggie Muldovan...
不,我们希望你像麦琪穆尔德凡一样站起来 ...
...like you should've years ago.
就像多年前,你应该做的。
Yeah, this is Sergeant Tanaka from Hollenbeck.
我是霍伦贝克的田中警长。
I need a current address for a Jeffrey...
我需要一个人的地址,叫杰弗里·...
He may or may not be driving a black '54 Ford pickup.
他可能开着辆黑色的'54年福特皮卡。
I'm leaving Sunday.
我周日就离开了。
Could you hold on for a second?
你等下
I can't get priority without a criminal charge.
没有刑事指控我不能得到调查优先权 。
Charge him with something. Who's gonna know?
那就起诉他。谁知道呢?
Do you wanna be a hall monitor all your life?
你想一辈子都是个大厅监管员吗?
I'm gonna need this right now.
我现在就需要。
We think he might be going after the governor.
我们认为,他可能跟踪州长。
Twenty minutes? Fine.
二十分钟?好。
The worst he can do is hang up on you, right?
最糟糕就是挂断电话,对不对?
I feel like before I can talk to him, I have to see his face.
我觉得在他谈谈之前, 我一定要看到他的脸。
How's this for a solution?
这个方法怎么样呢?
We'll take a drive over to his place. You can introduce yourself...
我把你载过去。你可以介绍自己...
I'd like to see his house, but...
我想看看他的房子,但...
...I don't know if I'd have the nerve to just go up and knock on his door.
我不知道是不是有胆量去敲他的门。
I don't think I could go through with it.
我不觉得我可以撑过去。
Then we'll keep driving.
然后,我们将继续开车。
You're awfully quiet.
你非常安静啊。
Do you think I should tell my dad about Jeffrey Pommeroy?
你觉得我应该告诉爸爸关于杰弗里帕莫洛伊的事吗?
I don't know. He's got an awful lot on his mind right now.
我不知道。他现在脑子里已经有不少噩梦了。
Maybe some day when the time is right.
也许有一天,正确的时间。
Then again, your dad's got his own memories...
再说,你的爸爸有他自己的回忆...
...and he's got his own life now.
...他有他自己的生活。
I think this is a secret, just between you and your mum.
我认为这是一个秘密,只是你和你的妈妈的秘密。
A secret? I like that.
秘密么?我喜欢。
This is it, I guess.
我想是到了。
Well, we've come this far, the least I can do is knock on the door.
好了,我们已经走到这一步,至少我可以去敲门。
Want me to come with?
要我和你一起吗?
I should do this myself.
我应该自己来。
Okay. Take your time.
好吧。慢慢来。
I'll go for a walk around.
我会去周围散步。
Go ahead, honey. Go ahead.
去吧,亲爱的。去吧。
Are you Jeffrey Pommeroy?
你是杰弗里帕莫洛伊吗?
I sure am. Who are you?
我是啊。你是谁?
I'm Vada Margaret Sultenfuss.
我是维达玛格丽特苏尔顿法斯。
- And my mother was... - Maggie.
- 我的母亲是... - 麦琪。
Maggie's little girl.
麦琪的小女孩。
I was hoping I'd get to meet you.
我一直希望能见到你。
You mean you knew about me?
你的意思是,你知道有我?
Who is it, honey?
那是谁呢,亲爱的?
It's Maggie's little girl, Vada.
这是麦琪的女儿,维达。
- This is my wife, Emily. - Hi.
- 这是我的妻子,艾米莉。 - 嗨。
Can you come in for a minute?
你能进来吗?
I'd like to. Thanks.
我想是的。谢谢。
I painted you a rainbow. Come and see!
我画的彩虹。快来看看!
Vada, this our little girl, Katie.
维达,这是我们的小女儿,凯蒂。
Why don't we let Daddy and Vada visit for a little while, okay?
我们能不能让爸爸带着维达参观一下,好吗?
- Okay. - Okay.
- 好吧。 - 好吧。
- 'Bye. - 'Bye.
- “再见。 - “再见。
She looks a little like me when I was a little girl.
她看起来有点像我,那时我还是一个小女孩。
I'm glad you're here.
我很高兴你来了。
Yeah. Come on, let's talk.
是啊。来吧,让我们来谈谈。
We had an assignment to write about someone we've never met...
我们有个学校作业来写个人,那个我从来没有见过的...
...and I chose my mother.
我选择了我的母亲。
She was born in LA, and since my Uncle Phil moved out here...
她出生在洛杉矶, ,因为我的叔叔菲尔在这里...
...I came to visit him. Then I looked in her high school yearbook...
...我来看望他。 然后,我找到了她的高中年鉴...
...and I called a few people. One guy said that she went to UCLA.
我叫了几个人。一个家伙说,她去了加州大学洛杉矶分校。
Another guy said I should call Hillary Mitchell...
另一个人说:我要联系希拉里·米切尔...
Hillary Mitchell? How's she?
希拉里米切尔?她怎么样了?
She's a little crazy, though.
虽然有点疯狂。
Hillary said that you had a black Ford truck...
希拉里说,你有一辆黑色福特车...
...and this policeman I know got in touch with Motor Vehicles...
...我认识的警察和车管局联系...
...and he gave me your address and here I am.
他给了我你的地址,然后我来了
I told you it was a long story.
这是一个很长的故事。
That's all right. You know, you sounded just like your mother.
没关系。你知道吗, 你听起来就像你的母亲。
She told great stories.
她在说着伟大的故事。
Stories with crazy accents and special effects.
疯狂的口音疯狂的的故事还有特效。
Like switching the lamp on and off when she was talking about lightning.
当她说到闪电,就会开关灯 。
Audiences love stuff like that.
观众很喜欢这样的东西。
And your mum knew how to work an audience.
你妈妈知道观众的想法。
I don't know very much about her.
我不是非常了解她。
I was hoping that you could help me.
我希望你能帮助我。
No one else knows what this means.
没有人知道这是什么意思。
The thing is we always wanted to work in the theatre.
我们一直以来的愿望是在剧院工作。
We drove out to New York, to Broadway...
我们开车去纽约,百老汇...
...where it was all happening.
就这些事。
And New York was just full of fancy French restaurants...
纽约全是花哨的法式餐厅...
...and we wanted to get married in one.
我们想在其中一个里结婚。
But we were totally broke.
但我们完全没钱了。
Your mum found this little coffee shop with tables around the back...
你妈妈发现个小咖啡馆...
...and real tablecloths on 'em, and a minister who worked cheap.
真正有桌布的桌子,和一个廉价的牧师。
When we got down to the coffee shop...
当我们去咖啡馆...
...there was a sign on the door that said, "Closed by the Board of Health."
有一个牌子,说, “休息,打扫卫生。”
By that time, it had started snowing...
那个时候,已经开始下雪...
...so we just got married right outside in the snow.
...所以我们在外面的雪地上结婚了。
But it was wonderful.
但很美好。
And for our wedding feast, we had a bag of hot-roasted chestnuts.
我们的婚礼盛宴,就是袋热烤栗子。
And she saved it.
她保存下来了。
We didn't have a camera.
我们没有摄像。
So she just wrote the date on the bag and said:
于是,她只是在包装袋上写上了日期,说:
"This'll be our wedding album. This'll be a day we'll never forget."
“这将是我们的婚礼相册。这将是我们永远不会忘记的一天。“
Do you have any pictures of her?
你有没有她的照片?
I've got something better.
我有更好的东西。
We called ourselves "The Appearing Nightly Players."
我们称自己为“夜间演员”
Darling! Where is my chauffeur?
亲爱的!我的司机在哪里?
You don't want I should walk to the stage?
你不想我走上舞台吗?
An actress of my overwhelming talent!
作为女演员,我有着难以承受的才能!
We performed on the beach one summer.
我们夏天在沙滩上演出。
Everything went wrong.
一切都乱哄哄的。
- Come on, send me away happy. - Send him away!
- 来吧,送走我的快乐。 - 送走他的快乐!
- That was beautiful. - Thank you.
- 这真美。 - 谢谢你。
- You do it all the time. That was beautiful. - Thank you.
- 你做这一切的时候。非常美。 - 谢谢你。
She had a beautiful voice.
她有一个美丽的声音。
Would you like to have these movies?
你想要这些胶片吗?
More than anything in the world.
超过世界上的任何东西。
It's good to see Maggie again and you.
能再看到你和麦琪真的很好。
Didn't you ever wonder about me?
难道你没有想过见我?
Well, I didn't know about you until after she was gone.
嗯,直到她去世前,我还不知道有你。
I thought that maybe you'd be curious about how I turned out.
我想,也许你会好奇我是如何出世的。
I'd say you turned out just fine.
你就这么出来。
I guess what I mean is, my mother married my dad after you.
我的意思是,我的母亲是在你之后和我爸爸结婚的。
And then I was born, so I thought that maybe you got divorced because of me.
然后我出生了,所以我想,也许你离婚是因为我的缘故。
Do you think I'm your father?
你以为我是你的父亲吗?
Honey, I'd be proud to be your father, really.
亲爱的,如果我是你父亲我会感到很光荣的,真的。
It just isn't so.
但事实并非如此。
Maggie wanted to have a baby.
麦琪想要一个孩子。
She didn't want to miss out on anything, especially motherhood.
她不想错过任何事情,尤其是当一个母亲。
It got to be a real problem with us.
于是我们之间产生了真正的问题。
I thought she had plenty of time.
我觉得她还有足够的时间。
Anyway, that's why I was grateful when she met your father.
总之,这就是为什么当她见到了你的父亲,我很感激 。
He had the sense to love her the way she deserved.
他爱她,给她名分。
Most of all, I was glad that she had you.
最重要的是,我很高兴,她有了你。
The baby she always wanted.
她一直想要的宝宝。
I want you to know that.
我想让你知道。
I'm gonna use the movies when I give my report.
我会用电影来写我的报告。
Jeffrey says audiences love special effects.
杰弗里说,观众很喜欢的特殊效果。
You better ace it. You sacrificed our whole vacation.
你最好出色完成,你牺牲了我的整个假期。
It's a wonderful story with a very happy ending.
这是一个美妙的故事,一个非常圆满的结局。
Sorry, Doc. We close for business at 3:00 tonight.
很抱歉,博士。我们3:00业务关闭。
This isn't business.
不是生意的事。
I found this wonderful little Hungarian restaurant...
我发现这个奇妙的小匈牙利餐厅...
...that makes its own strudel.
他们自己做果馅饼。
I thought you might like a taste of the old country.
我想你可能会喜欢这个古老的国度味道。
See, there's apple in there and cherry.
你看,有苹果和樱桃。
And this is the cheese, but I gotta say, I think the cherry is really...
这是奶酪,但我得说,我认为其实是樱桃...
Okay, that does it. That does it. The strudel does it.
好吧,确实。就是它。果馅饼。
- First it's the brakes, then... - Wait a minute.
- 首先,刹车,然后... - 等一下。
I'm not letting a podiatrist with a Jaguar full of strudel come waltzing in here and...
我不会让有捷豹足病诊疗师拿着充满果馅饼来这里跳华尔兹...
I'm not a podiatrist. I'm a cardiologist.
我不是一个足科医生。我是一个心脏病专家。
Rose, tell him we have an arrangement.
罗斯,告诉他我们有安排。
What kind of arrangement?
什么样的安排呢?
Yes, what kind of arrangement?
是的,什么样的安排呢?
I'd be very interested to know what kind of arrangement we have.
我非常有兴趣知道我们有什么样的安排。
You know exactly what kind it is.
你知道是什么样的。
What do you want from me?
你想我说吗?
I don't want anything you don't wanna give me.
你不想给我的我都不想要。
Don't settle for any less than you deserve.
不要满足于任何少于你应得的东西。
You stay out of this!
你一边去!
If I had a red XK-150 with a black interior, I wouldn't be offering relationship advice.
如果我有个黑色内饰的红色XK-150,我也不会提供关系咨询了。
The interior's colour isn't germane...
这和内饰颜色无关...
- Rose, this isn't the place to have this... - I think this place is just fine.
- 罗斯,这地方不该这样... - 我觉得这个地方很好啊。
You know how I feel about you.
你知道我对你的感觉。
You like the way I cook? You think I make out a great invoice?
你喜欢我做的饭吗? 你认为我做了一笔大生意吗?
You and Nick and this garage are my whole life.
你和尼克和这个车库是我的整个生命。
Sure, you don't have the greatest taste in music, but...
当然,你不必有很高雅的音乐品味,但...
...there's not another woman who could look so sexy in that smock.
没有其他女人穿工作服可以如此性感。
What I'm trying to...
我想...
What I mean to say...
我的意思是说......
Rose, will you marry me?
你愿意嫁给我吗?
You really think I look sexy in this smock?
你真的觉得我穿罩衫很性感吗?
Is that a "yes"?
回答是“是”吗?
- Thanks for everything. You're the best. - No, you're the best.
- 谢谢你做的一切。你是最好的。 - 不,你是最好的。
I don't want you talking to anybody on the plane.
我不想让你在飞机上跟任何人说话。
Dad already gave me this lecture.
爸爸已经给我讲过了。
He'll meet me at the airport, we'll have some pizza...
他会到机场接我, 我们还会吃些比萨饼...
...then we'll have dinner in bed with Shelly.
...我们不得不在床上和雪莉吃饭。
Sounds great. You give them both one of these for me.
听起来很不错。您给他们俩 这些对我来说。
'Bye, "Aunt" Rose.
“再见,”阿姨“罗丝。
'Bye, "Niece" Vada.
“再见,”侄女“维达。
I'm sorry you had to sacrifice your entire vacation.
对不起,你不得不牺牲整个假期。
Some sacrifices are worth it.
一些牺牲是值得的。
You mean it wasn't that terrible?
你的意思是,不是那么可怕吗?
I wouldn't say it was terrible.
我不会说这是可怕的。
Part adventure...
部分冒险...
...part miracle.
...部分是奇迹。
Will you write me a poem?
你给我写了一首诗吗?
I'll write you 10 poems.
我会给你写10首诗。
Ladies and gentlemen, this is your final boarding call for flight 6-2-8...
女士们,先生们,这是 您的最后一次登机呼叫,航班6-2-8 ...
- 'Bye. - 'Bye.
- “再见。 - “再见。
Look in your backpack.
看好你的背包。
"In memory of barbaric customs. Love, Nick."
“野蛮习俗的记忆。爱你的,尼克。“
Life is full of barbaric customs.
生命中充满了野蛮的习俗。
I just hope they all end with a kiss like that.
我只希望都以这样一个吻结束。
- Arthur! Where's my dad? - He took Shelly to the hospital.
- 亚瑟!我爸爸在哪里? - 他把雪莉送医院就诊了。
- Is she okay? - She was making a lot of noise.
- 她还好吗? - 她大吵大闹的。
- What happened to Shelly? - She just had a baby, that's all.
- 雪莉发生了什么事? - 她刚刚生了一个孩子。
A boy. You've got a new brother.
一个小男孩。你已经有了个弟弟。
- Can I see him? - You can do anything you want.
- 我能看看他吗? - 你可以做任何你想要做的。
You're his sister.
你是他的姐姐。
What's on your ear?
你耳朵上是什么?
- He's so tiny. - I know. Look at his little hands.
- 他是如此的小。 - 我知道。看看他的小手。
- I'm sorry I couldn't come pick you up. - I was pushing as fast as I could.
- 我很抱歉不能来接你。- 我尽快赶到这里来了。
- Here, let me hold him. - Okay.
- 来,让我抱抱他。 - 好的。
- Got his head? - Yeah.
- 扶住头 - 是的。
- You like that. - Yes.
- 你喜欢这样。 - 是的。
Maybe he's hungry.
也许他是饿了。
You just have to sing to him.
你要唱歌给他听。
Things haven't exactly calmed down around here.
在这里事情还没有完全平静下来。
I got an A-plus on the report.
我得到了一个A+的报告作业。
Dad's getting used to my pierced ears, and Nick's coming to visit this summer.
爸爸习惯了我的耳洞,尼克这个夏天来探望我们。
Other than that, I'm busy being a big sister.
除此之外,我忙着当个大姐姐。
I like to tell my brother about my mum...
我想告诉我的弟弟有关于妈妈的事...
... how I got to meet her friends, and find out how special she was.
...我怎么见到她的朋友,发现她是多么的特别。
She may not have her footprints in cement...
她可能没有在好莱坞大道留下她的足迹...
... but she definitely left her imprint on the world.
...但她确实在世界上留下了写印记。
And I told him that, even though it sounds conceited...
我告诉他,尽管这听起来很自负...
... her greatest achievement was me.
...她最大的成就,那就是我
翻译校对:sky92 档案时间:2015-1-1 新年快乐Feliz Año Nuevops:片中提到迪兰的诗《不要温和走入那良夜》在大量电影中提到在《星际穿越》中也提到过
UP在CCTV6看过第一部,那个小男孩哟,当时看完感觉心里怪怪的如今再看,释然!生活不是电影,生活残酷多了,也精彩多了